
TERRI AGNEW: Good morning, good afternoon and good evening. This is the Fayre of Opportunities call on Friday, 30th May 2014 at 18:00 UTC. On the call today we have Alan Greenberg, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Maureen Hilyard, Wolf Ludwig, Ali AlMeshal, Eduardo Diaz and Judith Hellerstein. We have no apologies for today's conference. From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Susie Johnson, Gisella Gruber, Ariel Liang, Silvia Vivanco, Carlos Reyes, and myself, Terri Agnew.

I'd like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much and over to you, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you everyone for participating today. If there are any changes to the agenda, please speak now. If not, we can go to Item #3, which is recapitulation. I'm not sure what Glenn has there, but [in A 00:54] I can usually [find]... Let me see here. There is an announcement that we got the Sandringham room. I don't have an idea of how big or small this room is, but apparently it's a very good room for Tuesday, and the Fayre of Opportunities, starting at 19:30.

I think Heidi, if you can give us an idea of how big this room is, or if you can point us to a link where we can all see it? I think this is going to be a great thing that happens, because I believe it's the type of room we're looking for.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you Eduardo. Yes, ten minutes before the start of this call we were able to get final confirmation that the Fayre will now be moved to Tuesday, in order to get the large room. It's actually the largest room. It's Sandringham. It's the boardroom, so it's a huge room. Perhaps, Gisella, could you find the room for that? I think it's over 300, so it's the largest room that we have. That's very good news.

The time has now also changed for one hour later, rather than the 18:30 start it's a 19:30 start to allow time for the AV crew to set it up in the format this group has asked for; in terms of the tables, etcetera. This is all very good news.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you Heidi. In fact, the schedule that was approved in the last call, it showed the schedule starting at 19:25, so I think that time shift is there, right?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, I've tried to update everything as quickly as I could. That five minutes prior to was just to get the mood music going, I think.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, let's move through the AIs. Do we have anything on the speakers? I wasn't able to participate in yesterday's PR meeting. From what I read, somehow we didn't have someone attend for us in that meeting. I haven't heard the recording yet, but Heidi or Olivier, if you can update us on the speakers that were discussed there?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much. On the speaker front we had a discussion yesterday with the OC, and I think we might wish to have a quick run-down here as well, and I guess just for the record, in case anyone wasn't on the OC call yesterday. There were several options. The first one was Ben Hammersley. Ben Hammersley needed a fee, and that was beyond the budget that we had. That speaker was not taken. The other speakers we'd spoken about in the past, like Sir Richard Branson and so on, did not respond.

Then there was the possibility of having [Nena 04:38], the lady that had spoken at the Net Mundial in Brazil. As you know, she was going to be on, on the Monday, speaking in Ghana, but now we're moving it to the Tuesday, there is a possibility that we might be able to have her in London. We're currently studying the [times], and I've just received, before this call, confirmation that Constituency Travel and staff are hopefully going to be able to work something out for her.

The next hurdle is her being able to obtain a visa fast enough for her to be able to come to London. If she doesn't make it then there was another potential solution, and that was to have [Axen Lemer 05:33], who is the French Government Digital Attaché. The discussion that took place yesterday on the call showed that there was no support for that. Of course we need to discuss and perhaps confirm here whether she'd be suitable or not for this. There was a lot of pushback yesterday. That's it for the time-being.

We've got a video from Vint Cerf that's three minutes in length. [Iz Minaa 06:08] is not able to make it, [by herself 06:10] in London, but she'll also provide us with a video, so we'll have another five-minute video. There are no other names at the moment. Last night I was thinking maybe if we could also think about... I was going to propose Wolfgang Kleinwechter as somebody who was quite knowledgeable about the multistakeholder system, especially after the article he drafted about Net Mundial. I thought that would be quite uplifting.

Again, that's just a wild guess, and I'm putting this over into the call for us to discuss. Thank you. Just a suggestion.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you Olivier. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you Eduardo. If we could get confirmation that those other two potential keynote speakers that Edelman was working with, can we now inform them not to proceed further with discussions with them?

EDUARDO DIAZ: From what I hear, yes, we should tell them no. That's what I heard, and I guess that's what was resolved in the discussion yesterday. Correct me if I'm wrong, Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Well, the question really is, the last I heard was they were asking for a fee. If any of them are ready to speak without being paid a fee, then I think that would totally change things. Having someone asking for a fee, for a ten-minute speech, speaking to volunteers who are giving hours of their life for free, is something that I heard several people in our community go against. It was quite strange for something like that to happen.

EDUARDO DIAZ: So I would say if this person can come and talk to us for no fee, then we'd be glad to have him. If he wants a fee, thank you so much but that's not what we need. That's what I heard. If we are all in agreement, that's what we should pursue, to answer Heidi's question. Any comments about what I've just said? If not, Heidi, then that's what we should proceed with. Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That's on the people that Edelman brought forward. With regards to [Axel Lemer], what happened yesterday was that most of the people on the call, if not all of them, said, "Why would we have someone from the French Government? The least one could do could be to have someone from the British Government, if one was going to have someone from a government, since the UK is the host country."

At the same time, there was also pushback on having anyone from a government, because there were real questions as to why a government would be suited to tell us about the multistakeholder model, when really, governments don't operate in a multistakeholder fashion. Those

were the questions that were thrown and made people say, “Let’s not have that French delegate.” That’s it. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you Olivier. I would agree in that discussion not to have anybody from the government. If I hear someone from either government, I don’t really care what they’d say about whatever. I like the idea of having Wolfgang Kleinwechter there.

WOLF LUDWIG:

I realize with some amusement again that we’re wasting time on this question. For me, it’s somehow a contradiction in itself. We have a broad At-Large assembly. An opportunity we have every five years. I don’t see a single reason why we should invite a governmental representative, particularly the idea that the UK Government, which is one of the most rigid in terms of Internet politics, or a French Governmental representative are not much better.

It’s a contradiction in itself. We should concentrate on people who really have to tell us something from a bottom-up approach and point of view, and governments to me, at an At-Large event like this, is out of the question. Thanks.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you Wolf. I think everybody here agrees with what you’re saying. I was just mentioning Wolfgang Kleinwechter, and it might be an idea for him to talk to us. I read his last blog and it was excellent, from the Net Mundial. I have shared that with many people here in Puerto Rico. I

don't know how everyone feels about inviting him to talk to us for a few minutes, about what he sees as this multistakeholder concept within the Internet governance? Any comments or ideas?

If not, Olivier, can you reach Wolfgang and ask him if he wants to speak to us for a few minutes about this vision of what he sees in the coming years, with this new change with IANA and Internet governance and all that? Wolf?

WOLF LUDWIG: I've just seen Olivier's posting in the chat. Wolfgang Kleinwechter, yes, he will be in London. I can confirm that. I can tell you that Wolfgang Kleinwechter has published some extraordinary, brilliant analyses of Net Mundial and the multistakeholder model. Wolfgang would be a marvelous speaker. He is really an old hand. He is part of the At-Large community. If somebody, I really think he could be the guy. Thanks.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. I see a question about... Olivier, [unclear 14:07] in London? I don't know. I think so. We can reach out to him and see whether he'll be there or not. For me, he's going to be there. This is a very important meeting. ICANN 50 is...

WOLF LUDWIG: He's confirmed.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes. Who volunteers to contact him and follow up with this? I think we all agree that he would be a great speaker. He's not going to charge any fees, and I think he would be great to talk about his ideas on Net Mundial and the future of Internet governance and the multistakeholder relationship. I see a note here from Maureen that are we talking about keynotes? Well, again, Heidi's asking about this other lady from Ghana. I think what we're talking about here is as a doable thing. If we can't get the lady from Ghana then we'll want to talk to Wolfgang again. Wolf?

WOLF LUDWIG: I think if we might have the chance to get both of them, both would be great. They're from different regions. One speaker more or less from the north, one from the south. I'd see it as a great compliment. If [Nena] cannot make it for visa or other reasons, we at least have Wolfgang.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I think that's a very good idea. I see a checkmark from Olivier that he agrees with that. I think we have some consensus on this. How do we move forward to... I think we're already in contact with [Nena]. You also need to get into contact with Wolfgang. Wolf Ludwig, can you get in touch with Wolfgang Kleinwechter?

WOLF LUDWIG: Yes, I can get in touch with Wolfgang. I will take over. I'll write him an email after this call, and I will meet him in Berlin at EURODIG, so Olivier

an I can discuss with Wolfgang Kleinwechter in Berlin on how to proceed.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Okay. We have a plan in place. The plan is that Wolf and Olivier will contact Wolfgang and we'll also try and pursue [Nena] to be here at the event. In case she cannot make it, at least we'll have Wolfgang at the Fayre. We should follow up on this on our next AC call, but we'll keep in contact through email to see how this goes. Thank you so much for the ideas. I think we have a plan for the speaker.

The next Item here has to do with the volunteers are organizing the RALO displays, slideshows, banners. I see Maureen here. Maureen, do you have ideas on what you're planning to do for the APRALO, for example?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yes, I think APRALO has... Ali's on the call as well. From my perspective, we've actually been organizing quite a bit of stuff from our ALSes, so I think we're pretty well sussed. Ali might have some more news on it.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Glenn is nodding. Ali?

ALI ALMESHAL:

Just to agree on what Maureen just said, we are indeed in the process of collecting the ALSes' booklets and brochures. Some of them have even

promised to bring some giveaways. We are taking care of the APRALO's people there.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, thank you. Any other RALO that... Thank you Ali. Are there any other RALO representative in the call that might want to share with us what they're planning to do on their table displays or slideshows? Okay, I have a question for ICANN staff. Is this RALO display thing at ATLAS II, is this being discussed in the monthly RALO calls, do you know?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, they have discussed this issue; at least APRALO has discussed it. Maureen and Siranush are coordinating it. The other RALOs, I believe, they haven't really gone into the details of what's needed, but each individual member in charge is in charge and they're just working through emails at this point.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, I see in the chat that Judith is saying that she's working with Glenn on this. I'm pretty sure that will be... Wolf, there is no point to be considered for [music playing 20:29] in the Fayre. The question [unclear 20:32]. I don't know what that means. Wolf, do you want to talk to that?

WOLF LUDWIG: I only wanted to ask that while we didn't discuss this at our last monthly call for EURALO in detail, we mandated our Secretariat, who is Yuliya

Morenets, to follow up on this in detail with Glenn, and I hope she's doing as necessary.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, thank you Wolf. Maybe we need to follow up with the LACRALO and AFRALO. I need to let Glenn know so that we can make sure that we all know what's going to be there, and if they need any help in setting up with displays or what have you. Any other comments about this?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm wondering if perhaps, for the next week's Fayre Working Group, we could invite all these music and table coordinators to come on the call and just update us, just so we know that they're working on everything and everything is under control. Then, in addition to that, if we could ask Maureen how her small group for the quiz is coming along, or do they need support?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Are you asking us now? Okay. Maureen, can you tell us about that? Are you getting the information that you requested from everyone?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, well, I have actually had a response... I know that they're going to Silvia as well. Are we talking about the... This is the quiz that we're having during the event, isn't it. Right. I have had a couple of questions and some discussion from Fatimata from AFRALO, but nothing from anyone else. I'll have to get out another little notice out to the RALO

Secretariats, to see if they can get some more feedback from their teams for the questions. Thank you for reminding me about that.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. I'm just curious, what is this Item that is in the Adobe now? Is this a document on the Wiki, or is this located somewhere?

TERRI AGNEW: Glenn sent this earlier, and it has some of the items you were discussing, so I thought I'd throw it in there and see if that would help it all.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, so this is not in the Wiki at all? This is something he's sent to you directly?

TERRI AGNEW: Correct.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Let me read some of the chat. There are many emails [unclear 23:50] arrangement, so we can make an action to invite them. Yes, that would be good to hear about them. I've already put a note here that I need, from staff, help to get the RALOs Leaderships – whoever's in charge of these tables – to be in next week's call. We should all understand what each RALO is planning to do and see if we can help each other, to make sure that's good. Heidi, that was a very good idea. Let's invite them.

I'm moving to the next Item – update on RALO volunteers, on [unclear 24:32] collation of music and uploads. I've seen uploads from different regions in the past week. I'm not sure if we got music from all the regions, but I have seen... Sebastian put some up for the French, and I've seen some from Africa and from America and so forth. I haven't followed up on this. Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you. Just one question about the tables. I just wanted confirmation that the television screens would be available? I think we're all getting PowerPoints or whatever for our tables, and we just need to know that that's going to be there.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

That's a very good question. I know that this was mentioned last time, and I don't remember. Heidi, help me here. I remember we talked about this. I'm not sure if we decided to use laptops, because displays were not available, or they were too big?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Gisella is going to update you on that.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Apologies for the delay. Glenn asked me a few questions earlier as well. He's definitely aware of this call. He might have just got the timing wrong. With regards to the set-up of the room – that includes the plasma screens that we've requested, the 32-inch plasma screens – the

room has been confirmed, and that was only shortly before the call. I sent an email again to get a drawing of the room, so the layout that is suggested, because we're talking about a tear-down, so I need to know what's been taken out of the room and what's been left in.

As soon as we have that information we can update the Working Group on that. I've requested a drawing to see if there's interpretation, and where the booths would be, where we'd put the six spare tables, if there are plasma screens, and if there's an additional cost if we're able to cover the cost of the plasma screens. Otherwise, yes, we may need to revert to laptops, but I've requested that information.

As soon as I have the drawing of the room with the layout, that Meetings Team will be providing us with, I'll work with the Catering Team to make sure we have the correct food and beverage stations set up.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you Gisella. I have a question. When we talk about the 32-inch flat screen, is that one for each table.

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes, one for each table, and I've also asked if there's a USB connection at the back.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry to interrupt, we've just received an email from... I don't know if that's... [Laughter]

SILVIA VIVANCO: Eduardo!

GISELLA GRUBER: Do you want to know the news? Heidi, over to you. Hang on, I think that we can tell you the news. We are going in all directions here. We'll tell you the news and then we'll try in the background to negotiate it, but we can't promise anything. I hope you're all seated. Sit down. The trade-off for having this big room, which is fantastic, because it means we'll all be really able to have a proper Fayre of Opportunities, however means that we won't be able to put any tables in the room. [Laughter]

What the suggestion would be to have the colored tablecloths on the floor and to have picnics(!) Put it this way, we haven't discussed this yet with the Meetings Team, as to the reasoning why we can't get the tables in the room.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm just thinking out loud here. I think what they mean is that we can't put those large tables in. What we could possibly do, which would be rather fun, would be what they call "high cocktail tables", and just make five regions of maybe two or three high cocktail tables clumped together, and those would be the various RALOs. We could separate those throughout the room. We could have AFRALO with three high cocktail tables in one area, etcetera for RALOs. That might even be fun.

EDUARDO DIAZ: What is funny is that they can have cocktail tables but they can't have one big table. I'm just curious why they can't do that. Talk to the meetings people and see what the reason is for this. Maybe if you explain to them what we're trying to do, maybe they'll allow some tables. It's interesting.

GISELLA GRUBER: What you said with regards to the size, I think what we'll emphasize that what we're looking for is just a classroom table size. It's not like a meeting room table size, just the small ones that you'd have in a classroom that two people would sit at.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Those would work.

GISELLA GRUBER: That's what I'm going to maybe ask for. We're not asking for the big ones, because maybe they'll allow the little ones. I need the cocktail tables in any case. I need food and beverage stations and I need a table for the bar.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Right. Will you update us when you get the final information on this, whenever?

GISELLA GRUBER: I will pursue this now and get the information back to you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, thank you so much. Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD: I'll be back with you in a second. I've just got a call. I'm sorry.

EDUARDO DIAZ: No problem. [unclear 31:37] because all the tables are in the small ALAC room. Maybe. Anyhow, Gisella will let us know what's going on with the tables. Let's move to the next Item. Staff update on room assignment. We've already discussed that. We reached consensus on the Agenda last time.

Depending on the speaker setup that we spoke about at the beginning of this meeting, if we get Wolfgang and [Nena] then we'll probably have to spend a little bit of time on the time allotment for each speaker, but we'll see... I don't think it will [unclear 32:24] the Agenda the way it's been put together now. I guess that's all for this meeting, except if you want to bring up any new business? Wolf?

WOLF LUDWIG: Thanks Eduardo. Just a small comment. I made a short posting in the chat already. It would be under 4.3 - regional collection of music and uploads. I would just like that you keep in mind... There were some questions raised on the list already in respect of copyright. Copyright is usually a touchy issue, and when we have this kind of presentation, with a public character, we must be aware about... I don't know how strong

collecting societies in the UK are. In Germany they are extremely powerful.

For any kind of public presentation and presentation of music, be aware that they show up afterwards and ask for money. So just to keep this in mind, and to avoid any uncomfortable and late surprises.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you Wolf for that heads-up. I don't know how to answer this. Heidi, I don't know if this is something that should be consulted with ICANN Legal? To me, this is just background music, like having a radio on.

WOLF LUDWIG:

Sorry Eduardo, it's not a question of whether it's just background music. Even ordinary shops who only have music as background music pay money on a monthly basis to collecting societies, for any sort of music that's played or presented in a public place. Our Fayre of Opportunity would meet the characteristics of a public event, and therefore music licenses of course should be gotten and it should not be any sort of illegal... If music is licensed then you can count on collecting societies who will show up and ask for money. Just be aware about this point.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you Wolf for the clarification. I don't know what to say. I'm not an expert in this. Heidi, has this happened before? Have you seen this in other activities that ICANN has had?

HEIDI ULLRICH: No, I've not, but I'm going to pass it over to our lawyer, Silvia, to perhaps contact our Legal Team and see if that would be a problem. I'll make that an AI if that's okay?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes please. I'm opening an AI for that so we can keep track of this. That was a very good point, Wolf, thank you for bringing it up. We don't want any surprises there. Is there any other business on the Fayre? If not, can we have this meeting at the same time, same day, next week? Is that okay with everyone? I don't see any abstentions, so let's do that. With that in mind, I want to thank everyone for having participated in this meeting. This meeting can be adjourned. Thank you.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]