
SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I would like to ask you, Susie, if you could kindly proceed with the roll call? Then I'll welcome all the participants to this LACRALO Governance Working Group on this Friday, 16th of May at 21:00 UTC, sharp. We have one hour to work with all the participants here, and perhaps if we have further participants later, we'll work with them. Susie Johnson, if you could kindly proceed with the roll call? Thank you.

SUSIE JOHNSON: Thank you Sergio. Welcome to the LACRALO Governance Working Group teleconference. Today is Friday, 16th of May, 21:00 UTC. On the Spanish channel we have Alberto Soto, Sergio Salinas Porto and Aida Noblia. At the moment we have no participants on the English channel. We have apologies from Carlos Aguirre, Fatima Cambroner, Rual Bauer, Carlton Samuels, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Oscar Garcia Comtron, and Vanda Scartezini.

Just a friendly reminder to please announce your name prior to speaking, so that we can capture your name on the transcription. Thank you very much. Over to you Sergio.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you very much Susie. I would like to make clear that there was a phone call by ICANN to cover the possible times for this call. Many participants had confirmed their availability. There were five or six who confirmed their availability, however, many who confirmed their availability – and of course we took them very much into account,

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

because we were very attentive of the time they indicated – they are not here right now. I'd like to say that for the record.

We have some Action Items. One of them was that on May 12th it was the end of our possibility to add or incorporate proposals for amendments for the LACRALO Operating Procedures. This was work developed by Vanda Scartezini, Leon Sanchez and Fatima Cambroner. This work only had one contribution. I am reading the document now. There was only one contribution, by Carlos Vera. I'll read his contribution from the Wiki.

It reads: "Point five, the General Assembly will elect from among its Members one person to exercise the independent function of the LACRALO Chair, and another to exercise the function of [by-president 00:03:50] for a period of two years, and they could be re-elected for a consecutive period. For the election of a President, Chair or Vice-Chair or LACRALO, the geographic distribution will be taken into account. Participation, leadership, commitment and personal skills of the candidate will also be taken into account."

To this point, Carlos Vera [unclear 00:04:11]. "Point five, the General Assembly will elect from within its Members, someone who will exercise the functions of Chair of LACRALO, and another person who will exercise the function of Chair and Vice-Chair, for a period of two years, with the possibility of being re-elected for one period. In the case of the election of the President and Vice-President, in each election, the geographic distribution, participation, leadership, commitment and skills will be taken into account."

“...Assuring that there will be a rotation of the representation of the countries in LACRALO, to ensure participation, inclusion and possibilities and opportunities. A country represented by this position will only be repeated only in case there is no other possibility of countries that have been represented.” This is Carlos Vera’s suggestion. This group needs to decide if it will take into account partially, as a whole, or not at all, this proposal by our partner from Ecuador.

Now I’ll give the floor to each of you for you to speak. You are free to speak, because we are on the same language channel, so you’re free to express your voice and say what you think. Alberto?

ALBERTO SOTO: The group should define the meaning of “geographic regions”. Could you please re-read the document, because I don’t have the document before me?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I will read it again. “Equal geographic distribution.” There is the point.

ALBERTO SOTO: Okay, so the group should define the meaning of “equal geographic distribution”, because we are only one region in fact. So what do we mean by “equal geographic distribution”?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Okay, we will try to have this meeting – since we’re all speaking in Spanish – so we’ll take the opportunity to discuss this as if we were sitting all together around a table. On the equal geographic distribution I agree with you Alberto. It is only one. We do not have two things. I think that Carlos Vera is not talking about distribution. He’s not talking about division. What he’s saying is that a candidate cannot come twice from the same country.

ALBERTO SOTO: Okay, I do understand the concept, that is to say non-repetition of countries. That is very clear for me. If we agree on that, if there is consensus for that, that’s fine, but I was concentrating on equal geographic distribution, because we have only one region. Let’s think about Africa. If we focus on Africa, how many equal geographic regions may that country have? I think it’s okay. We don’t need to repeat a country twice. If that is approved by consensus, then no problem.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Okay, I don’t fully agree with you on that.

ALBERTO SOTO: Okay, but I want to focus on consensus. I don’t want to be an internal candidate, but taking this into account, there will be countries that will not be able to participate. I don’t know if I’m being clear with that?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Okay, this is the situation now...

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: I think that we need to clarify there are two things in conflict. One is the equality of opportunities, if we're talking about LACRALO Members. We need to take into account participation, engagement, skills. In this case, we need to balance these opportunities, because otherwise we'll have a phenomenon that Alberto Soto is mentioning. We should take that into account, provided we also take participation into account, because that's of vital importance to us. [audio unclear 00:09:58]

ALBERTO SOTO: Humberto, your audio is not clear at all and we cannot understand what you say.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Okay, what I was saying was that in this case we have two interests at stake. On one hand we have equal geographic distribution, and on the other hand we have the balance of equal opportunities among the Members of the RALOs. We need to find a balance, because we may have a very skillful person coming from a country, but if the candidate cannot be repeated then that person may not be able to get to a relevant position in the region. I don't think that's fair.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Taking into account what you and Alberto have said, I'll ask a question to the whole group. The issue of the way of this vote, wouldn't it strike the balance that we're looking for with these amendments?

ALBERTO SOTO: The answer is no. The objective of this vote is to equally balance each country. This is the vote amongst all countries, so that we can have balanced... Let me rephrase. We are eight in Argentina, so we should have the same opportunities as a person representing one country. This vote does not take into account the nationality of a person. What Humberto said is that perhaps what should be added here, if we proceed with this, is that there should be rotation.

For example, it's not possible that a representative of an ALS might not be elected because he comes from Argentina. According to the metrics, the metrics should be fulfilled, and the participants should comply with or fulfill the metrics.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Perhaps this will generate a larger conflict, or much conflict, because we need to find the balance among the ALSes of the countries. We may have someone from one country – let's take the example of Trinidad and Tobago – and then maybe someone from that country, with greater or better or skills than the ones shown by Dev, for example... This is just to give you an example, taking into account the people of this group. This person would not be able to participate, but I think we should give them the opportunity to participate.

ALBERTO SOTO: Okay, but in this case we're only talking about the Chair and the Vice-Chair of the region. If that person was an ALAC Member and he comes

from Argentina, and he has a merit, and there are elections for Chair and Vice-Chair, okay. If he comes from Argentina, he won't be able to be a candidate or run for the election.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: In this case, we're deciding the future of LACRALO, so if a person has proven to have the capacity and skills to promote and help the region, why should we lose this opportunity? I'll give the floor to Aida now, because I see her hand up.

AIDA NOBLIA: Well, I was thinking that this person is elected for a period of two years, and there is a possibility for re-election, if I'm not wrong? The Chairs and Vice-Chairs could be re-elected for another term, so there would be a four-year term to have, for example, a Chair and Vice-Chairs coming from Argentina. Now, the expressions... It will be taken into account. After four years, we can take that into account, because when we speak of re-election, that's it. It's a re-election.

Is that right? Or am I wrong? This is what I understood. The person will be elected for a period of two years, for example, so the Chair and the Secretary. Then they could be re-elected. For example, if they come from Argentina, they will be re-elected, and then we'll have a period of four years. For the next election, that will be taken into account. That's what the text reads. This is a factor to be taken into account, but it's not an excluding factor.

We're not saying that if that person comes from Argentina, he won't be able to run for the election. That's what I understand. Perhaps we need to rephrase it, just to avoid saying that for another period of four years, someone coming from Argentina may hold a position. What the text says is that it will be taken into account. It doesn't say that that person must not or cannot be elected.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I think we have a problem here, Aida.

AIDA NOBLIA: Okay, well, I was just trying to understand, because the text says it will be taken into account. This is not excluding the person.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: The problem here – and I have discussed this with Carlos, and he has also mentioned it on the list – is that there are countries who've never had any representation within our region. I'll just say it's true there have been many positions occupied by people coming from the same country; for example from Argentina. We have another problem though. We're not talking about who's on the positions, because those people will be leaving.

What we're saying here is that there's a whole country – in the case of Argentina, eight ALSes – for example, the same applies for Ecuador, with four ALSes.

AIDA NOBLIA: Okay, Argentina was the example.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Okay, if we have one person from Ecuador... If we think about this in terms of years, there will never be a person from Ecuador leaving the RALO. In Ecuador we perhaps have very good people ready to promote, develop and lead the region. I don't agree with this wording. I think it's limiting wording. We have many ALSes and we're willing to get more ALSes for our region. We need to see and discuss how we can change the wording so that we may have a rotation among countries.

Perhaps we can amend the wording in such a way, so it doesn't have the limitations that it now implies.

AIDA NOBLIA: I think that what Silvia Vivanco mentioned in the chat is what I'm saying. This is among other factors or other things. I'm not saying this is a determining factor, because the expression mentioned is, "It will be taken into account." If we add other factors, that would be different because, for example, we may have two people from Argentina, or two from Ecuador, or one from Argentina and one from Ecuador, come and be elected for two years. Then they're re-elected for another two years.

That is a possibility, so there we have them for four years. Now, the question comes for the following period. The question is, can they run for the election in the following period? That's where we need to focus with this article, and where we can add to the wording among other factors, and take into account the equal geographic distribution.

Then if we have some other person coming from Argentina or Ecuador, for example for period five or six after the two-year period, and if this person has the necessary skills and is committed, well, there will be no objection in having another person coming from Ecuador or Argentina for another period of two or four years. I think that we should say that this will be taken into account. This is not a determining factor. This is, I think, a possible interpretation.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I can see what Carlos Vera typed on the chat. The second paragraph is focused on something. It talks about the rotation of the representation in the counties. It talks about inclusion and equal opportunities. A country may only be repeated in case there's no other candidate available for that position.

AIDA NOBLIA: Well, I have something different.

ALBERTO SOTO: Okay, we need to make a correction, certainly, because we are four, and we may have four or even eight different interpretations. Would you repeat it, Sergio? It's very limiting. I do agree with you on the example of having someone from Ecuador, or for example if Ecuador has three or four representatives, then if there is another country with a second ALS, okay, that country will never have the opportunity to cover any position, or to occupy any position.

We need to define the profile of the Chair and the Secretary very quickly, taking into account participation, for example. In this paragraph we should include only that that person should comply with a profile. Perhaps we could add something related to the participation of each country, and rotation, but without limiting the concept.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Okay. Let's sum up Alberto. How can we do that?

ALBERTO SOTO: Okay, I would put a very brief sentence. We should have a one-sentence description for the profile of a Chair and the Secretary. First of all, we should make reference to active participation. When we speak about active participation, the text should include a percentage of the LACRALO monthly calls to be attended, the percentage of the sum of participation and apologies. These figures should amount to at least 80% for participation and 20% apologies.

This would amount to 80% of participation in LACRALO. That person should be able to participate in at least two webinars, twice a year, at least. I'm just thinking aloud. Perhaps I might be forgetting something. Taking into account the characteristics from ALAC, this would be an active participation. Sometimes there are certain personal conditions or circumstances that we cannot include here. I suggest we should include that, and then that consideration that that person has within the region.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Okay, what do you think about this. We can go on working with something alternative, and have another meeting, so that we can come to a close and summarize this topic. Now we'll keep on discussing, but I think that we need to think about this and reflect on how we can articulate and draft this text.

ALBERTO SOTO: What I can do is this: I can write or draft the profile. This weekend I will have plenty of time, and I'll send this material to you on Saturday or Sunday to get your opinions. Based on that, we can keep on moving and working.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Okay, thank you very much. On the other hand, we won't be able to move forward with this, so I assume that what you say is the best option. We need to define this. I don't know if we'll be able to include this on the operating principles, but at least we can mention the metrics for candidates to fulfill that metrics, in order to run for the elections. This is what we can say.

ALBERTO SOTO: Of course, and there are many people asking for the metrics. If we don't do this, we won't be satisfying the demands of participants. There are people who are not requesting the metrics, but in fact they are not complying with, or fulfilling their obligations. What I say is that we should create metrics that should apply to everyone, and should be fulfilled by everyone.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Okay, so let's start working on that. I'm sure we need to have another call next week to work on that. Perhaps not the next week, but perhaps the following week, so that we can close this topic. We need to send this to the region.

ALBERTO SOTO: Don't we have any material to send to the region before then?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: No, we cannot. How can we send something to the region if we don't have this topic or conflict already settled?

ALBERTO SOTO: Okay, let's continue with our meeting and then we'll see.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I'd like to have a meeting with Carlos. Perhaps we can invite him to one of our meetings, even on Skype. Perhaps we can discuss this with him and get an agreement.

ALBERTO SOTO: Okay, that's fine for me.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Perhaps we can agree on the topics and have a presentation ready for the region.

ALBERTO SOTO: Okay, let's meet with him on Skype.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Okay, I'll send him an email just so see if we can meet, because he's very busy and it's difficult to be in touch with him. The second issue that [unclear 00:27:52] some hours ago, was an email send by Carlton Samuels. Probably I missed something in the meetings I've been chairing, but I don't really understand why he sent that email. Can somebody please read that email, or translate that from English, and read it so that we can see if I'm misunderstanding something? Has anybody read the email sent by Carlton Samuels about this meeting?

ALBERTO SOTO: I'm looking for the email.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: It reads "LACRALO governmental document".

SILVIA VIVANCO: I have just posted it on the AC chat room. It's in English. Can you please translate that into Spanish? The interpreters will read it. [pause]

ALBERTO SOTO: Thank you for reading the email. David, could you please read again Item #3? [pause]

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I think he's referring to the Board. I believe Carlton is considering this top-heavy [officer 00:31:35] to the structure that we can consider with a LACRALO Board and the Secretariats, or people in charge of Working Group, etcetera. I think he's referring to that in this Item; that we'd like to modify it.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I need to say this for the record. I believe that he didn't really read the document. I have not read the work that our colleagues Vanda, Leon and Fatima did. They have actually collected everything that we have worked on over all these years. Carlton himself has also participated in many of these meetings. The way of this vote will not be changed. There will be no amendment on that, and removing the safeguards to other countries...

We will need to work a lot, because they document is translated into English. It's been translated by the translation team, and it's not proper, so I don't really know what to do, because sometimes you can have a discussion over certainty. I don't know what you think about this, but if you can think of something that we can work on with our friends from Jamaica, Trinidad on Tobago to work on this...?

ALBERTO SOTO: Probably Carlton made a mistake. I don't find any amendments on any of the issues that he's asking for. If you'd like to spend two minutes telling him that there are no modifications whatsoever to the way of this vote? As for the rest, there was something I think on the information of the number of members. He actually said he agreed with this two-year term. I think Carlton made a mistake there, and we just need to say that there will be no modification whatsoever in this regard, because there really isn't. There really isn't.

I think he or Dev at some point told me that somebody had proposed for the creation of a Working Group or a Board with several members?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Well, yes, this is in the proposal. If I find it I'll post it on the chat room.

ALBERTO SOTO: Don't spend any time on that. Carlton is probably referring to that, and I think he's right in that sense. We can have a Board of Directors of whatever we want to call it, but I think there were a lot of members in there. Think of this, we are just four here. I am actually having sort of a roll call to all of the meetings that we are attending, where it's just five, six or seven maybe. We can't even cover... I don't know how many Members were there, but I think there were 12.

I like the idea of having a group of five or six people who can be thinking for all of us, and then making the Working Group. That would be perfect, but we would never really have such a large amount, because we never reach that on the monthly meetings, even though we were 16

in the last one. Perhaps Carlton is referring to that, and if it is that then I agree. We can discuss this, and...

ALBERTO SOTO: I agree with that.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: To define this, well, this is the 16th. We are just one day from the [Internet World Day 00:36:28], and I am saying this because I am having discussions all around because of this issue. I'm giving talks because of this. There are a lot of issues to discuss here. Here's the thing – and this needs to be clear – the suggestion was to create a LACRALO Board made up of 14 representatives of accredited ALSes. Those were the two representatives...

Excuse me, I don't really want to forget everything. Out of those 14 there were four, or six, or eight, who were already chosen. If we talk about Chair and Vice Chair, Secretary and Vice Secretary, then there are four. The two representatives from LACRALO, and their substitutes, then there is four more. So we're actually having eight. If we include participation then it would be seven more people. These other seven would be in charge of exercising that Policy Board, so that we can have five Working Groups working together.

That's the structure. I'm trying to look for it so that I can paste it. I will paste it here in Spanish on the chat room. This is an issue that we should have discussed with the people. This is where the text is. I'm not sure if the full text is there, but I just pasted it. Now, we'll need to see if

this is feasible or not. If we believe this is not feasible, then let's just rule it out. We don't really have a lot of time.

I do believe however that if we give responsibilities to all our members who can be elected, and then we add some people who are not elected, or who have no positions or face-to-face participation, but who can have responsibilities in the region, then the region will start to produce a lot more. Today, nobody really has the responsibility. Those who assume responsibilities nowadays, we do it because we want to, but not because we have commitments. So things work this way.

If we had five Policy Directors working there, together with the ALAC Members and those who are the Vice Chairs, who probably would never be in the face-to-face meetings, but who can assume responsibilities in our region, then we are having a group of people who are very active in our region, with 14 people, considering the Chair and Vice Chair. That was the idea. Does anyone want to say anything?

ALBERTO SOTO:

I agree with the idea, but not with the number of people. I am trying to be realistic in these terms, because we cannot really be five or six. There was a maximum of eight. Some people have assumed their responsibilities, and I think that being part of a Working Group, even if you don't Chair it, it's a responsibility. We've seen throughout these years that there are Working Groups. Now we have two Working Groups. The rest are not here, and look at the number of people who are in Working Groups.

This is a responsibility that's not really being assumed. There were chairs for each of the Working Groups who did not meet their goals at all, and the work was not even done. I'm not really sure if that kind of responsibility will make them more responsible, and would make them meet their goals. I'd love to have that, and I really do support you, but this would be nice if we were a lesser amount of people, so that the analysis is conducted by these people.

Actually, in the next meeting you will hear that we'll have a Policy Group, and it's more or less the same idea. I want a Policy Group made up of two or three people who can tell us what are the necessary policies, and then we can call those who do really want to work, and appoint a Chair for this Sub-Policy Group for a specific policy. So it's more or less the same idea. It should be somebody who has full knowledge, who will conduct the research and tell us, "This is what we need to do." Then we need to decide who are the ones that are going to implement it.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Yes, it's the same idea, but it would be interesting if these people met together at some point, somewhere – and I don't want to mention Ex-Com because I have my own particular view on this – but I'm thinking of a table where those responsible for each of the [unclear 00:42:32] issues in the region can sit down at that table. There's the Chair, the Vice Chair, the ALAC Members, all of those people who are representing our region, together with Chairs of each Working Group. On that table, discussions should start. This is what I call a Board.

ALBERTO SOTO: I don't discuss that.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I continue with your thread. Perhaps 14 is just a number and we need to review this maybe. I've always believed that we need to have greater involvement with greater responsibilities. This is how Internauta works. This is the logic it has. When I just put this proposal forward I did it because this works for us. [for us 00:43:31] it would not work in the region. 14 is a number that may frighten you, and I agree with that.

Then we should see if we can have just go around the bush with this, and have a different idea, to try to start closing all of these open issues. Let us take some dates to reflect up on this, and to think on these issues, which may be conflicting. Perhaps we can just polish up these differences so it causes no problems for anybody. I'm sure none of us want to do anything that's not good for the region. Let us take a few days. Let's see how many days we're going to take to reorganize this item. Maybe two days.

ALBERTO SOTO: Two days is fine. I don't want to hasten you, but you can send an email to Carlos and me.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Well, it's actually calling him. we don't really mean to push Carlos.

ALBERTO SOTO: Yes, I will push Carlos. I will press him.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Well, the other issue pending is a proposal. It's 18:40. We have some 20 minutes to go, but perhaps the meeting will end earlier, because of this. This is the proposal. We have progressed on a certain issue that will cause a debate in our region, and that is the amendment proposal that we're discussing right now. At the same time there are two pending issues in our list of pending actions. One of them is the metrics and the other one is the Rules of Procedure.

It's an issue that we'll not be able to finish by the London meeting. My proposal is this. We should agree on some framework to be approved at the GA, and we should get permission to have this activity, to continue working, and to submit a proposal out of the GA including metrics, and the Rules of Procedure, so that we can approve them out of the GA. Do you understand what I mean?

ALBERTO SOTO: I do understand it. I'm going to say something that I was discussing a few days ago, and I want you to properly read all of the rules we have. We actually have a permanent assembly, and right now this is an assembly. Please do read it, and you will see that this is so.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Yes, this is true.

ALBERTO SOTO: Do you agree with that? Well, actually, the London GA will be one of the in-person assemblies, a face-to-face assembly. The assembly we're having right is what we, by our own rules, calls a virtual assembly, and we can make decisions; both in the virtual assemblies, as well as in the in-person assemblies. The only thing we need to consider is the quorum issue. This is a condition that we need to meet in each of the two.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: The thing is Alberto that many times in our face-to-face, or actually in our virtual meetings, we have no quorum. This is another issue we need to consider.

ALBERTO SOTO: Yes, let's have a look at the quorum and then we'll go on speaking.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I know you argue on this. You challenge the number of people at the quorum, and you think that those at the quorum are those who are present?

ALBERTO SOTO: Please repeat that?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: You think that those who are present are actually the quorum? In the decision making process, the quorum is the number of people or ALSes who need to be present to open the meeting. Based on that, here's what I say... Humberto says he has no problem with the quorum, but I think with the assembly issues, the assembly in general is not very properly proposed. In our proposal for amendments, we say that the GA is a special assembly, and these are the LACRALO meeting, which are not actually an assembly.

This needs to be clear, because what we're having today is a mix actually. They're saying that the meetings are assemblies; like the Board meetings. I actually have a General Assembly and a special assembly, in case I want to modify the bylaws, or to take out one of the members. Any of us here know though that... I don't really understand why it was that in Sao Paulo in 2006 we called this an assembly? I think we did that because we believed at that time that...

The interpretations said actually "assembly" but we were talking about meetings. I'm not really sure why we did that. For me though, the assembly, as is the same for many Latinos, is just one assembly.

ALBERTO SOTO: It's the same for me. It is written that way. This is how it's written. I somebody comes and tells me, "You're not complying with the rules," I need to say, "You're right," and I need to abide by that. This is the primary modification we need to do in this regard.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Yes, I agree. We need to see this. We need to review. I ask that all of us here – just four people – should all review the new proposal again, so that we can check that everything is fine. We’ll take a few days to talk to Carlos Vera on this issue, and when we say “outside” we mean outside the London GA. This means that we will discuss this and approach it within our regular meetings, our regular LACRALO meetings.

As for our next meeting, I’m not really sure. If we send a Doodle then they can confirm when it is that they’re available, and then they don’t come up. I think next week could be a bit complicated. Perhaps we should hold this meeting next Thursday. Let me have a look at this. Maybe Thursday 30th?

SILVIA VIVANCO: It’s actually Thursday 29th.

ALBERTO SOTO: We need to give something to the region so that they can give an opinion.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I think Thursday 29th we should close the issue, and then send it. We should meet, discuss whatever we need to discuss during that hour, and if we need to make any amendments we should do them and then close it to send it to the region. Why do I say this? Because we’ll have no time to discuss. I think we all want that by the time we get it to the region, everything will have been discussed. You need then to raise your hand and say yes or no, but not to do what we did in Costa Rica.

It makes no sense to do that. My health is not good, and I don't really want to give my health to these issues. I would wish this to be reached by consensus.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Here is a question for you, Sergio: from the 16th until the 29th, we will continue with these specific discussions of the articles through the mailing list, only for this Working Group, and then we will open it to the rest of the region on the 29th. Is that correct?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Yes, on the 29th we will have a meeting. Then after this meeting, which is where we will finish wrapping this up, we will hear all of the wills of these different people, and on the 29th, whatever we get from that proposal will be sent to the region for discussion.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Then there will be a discussion from the 29th.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Alberto, we need to define... You're the man who holds the reigns in here. How much time could we allow for this, for the comment period?

ALBERTO SOTO: Silvia, when are we leaving for London?

SILVIA VIVANCO: We are having a look at the calendar. Staff will travel on the week of the 16th of June. Many of us will be there a few days before, in London. We will be leaving for London on the 16th. Many people in the community are leaving on the 19th. I think the last week or work will be the week that ends on the 13th.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Do you think we could hold this on the 13th, on Friday 13th?

ALBERTO SOTO: Well, we actually have some more issues to be dealt with, maybe until the 15th? Just to say [unclear 00:54:35].

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: If we send it on the 29th...

ALBERTO SOTO: Well, actually...

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: We will have to give some time for staff to rest. We will close the discussion period, and I don't know how we'll go on.

ALBERTO SOTO: Well, after that we need to continue with our work until the time of the Assembly.

SILVIA VIVANCO: One other issue – if we need any document translated for London, you know that our translation period means we need to give them the documents one week in advance. What I would say is any document that you will need in London, you need to send it at least one week in advance.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Okay, so I can send it to you or whoever, to staff, on 16th, so that we can rest assured that by Monday 23rd it should be ready.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, that's correct.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: When will we hold the GA?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Well, this depends on the size of the document, but our translation team always ask that we send it one week in advance.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Actually, the document is mostly translated, and then what we will have is on whatever has been translated, they will just need to change the amendments.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Well, actually, I'd prefer to have a final document, because I understand that from the 29th until the 13th there may be substantial changes. We don't really know.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: When are we going to have the General Assembly?

SILVIA VIVANCO: That is on Wednesday, 25th.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Okay, this gives us some time. With this team, we will work in Spanish on whatever we need to amend and change in Spanish. The translation team will have, on the Wiki, the work that's already been done, and we'll focus on those issues that are modified; that are not really full articles, it's actually just a few words. This is something to be submitted to the GA. Now, we would also need to work – and this is just to wrap up – on the frameworks for the metrics and the Rules of Procedure. I am really lost on this.

ALBERTO SOTO: I sent something and I will continue to send something.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Can any of you help me with the commitment to put out that framework, so that it's approved and submitted to the GA? It should be approved here. That is, the metrics will consider these principles.

ALBERTO SOTO: I will send it to you, because I have progress on that work, and if we put something else to the list, it will take a very long time.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: As for Rules of Procedure, Humberto, can you do something with whatever Fatima has prepared? I think Natalia did something as well. I don't really remember. Okay, so if this is the way in which we will work, we will have all the material shortly. Just to sum up and be clear, next meeting will be on Thursday 29th. We have two days to gather together and to review our Item #10. I don't know if there is anyone else who'd like to help us? We'll do that on Skype and we'll have a meeting with Carlos Vera. Are we clear on that?

ALBERTO SOTO: Okay, perfect. We are finishing on time. How come? That's great!

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I will contact Carlos Vera and I will also send a copy to the list showing our progress made with Alberto. We need to copy and past #10 and below that we need to draft the amendment proposal. We'll have all the possibilities for discussion even in the list. We can discuss modifications. There is a question that I'd like to ask you. I would like to add in this amendment proposal – I don't know if this has to do with the Rules of Procedure – I would like to establish the duties of an ALAC Member. Should we include that here or on the Rules of Procedure?

ALBERTO SOTO: Okay, let me, because I have everything in front of me, but I need to see where we should put that information.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Okay, so I'll leave you with that, and let's continue working. Dear colleagues, dear participants, dear colleagues from the region, it was a pleasure to work with you. It is a pleasure, in fact. It's a pleasure to contribute to this and to be responsible, to be the leader of this Working Group, let's meet very soon to finish this work. In a couple of hours we will meet again. I'd like to wish you all a very happy Internet Day. I have an Internet Day celebration week around the country, so I hope to be ready on the 26th for the meeting.

Otherwise I'll send my apologies, but I need to deal with these Internet celebrations. Thank you very much. Thank you all.

SUSIE JOHNSON: Thank you and good night.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]