
TERRI AGNEW:

Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening. Welcome to the ALAC Leadership Team Mid Month call on Wednesday, 14 May 2014, at 21:00 UTC.

On the call today, we have Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Holly Raiche, Tijani Ben Jemaa, and Dev Anand Teelucksingh. Sebastien Bachollet just joined us as well. We have Maureen Hilyard, Alan Greenberg, and Julie Hammer. We have no apologies for today's meeting. From staff, Heidi will be joining us shortly – Heidi Ullrich – as well as Ariel Liang, Gisella Gruber, any myself, Terri Agnew.

I'd like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much, and back over to you, Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much, Terri. Welcome, everybody, for this ALAC Leadership Team call. We have quite a sizeable agenda today, going through the policy development. Most of the agenda will be about the ATLAS II that's coming up – less than 40 days remaining. So the clock is ticking now, and the calendar is becoming very hot indeed.

Let's have a look immediately at the ALAC monthly conference call action item – the last call we had on 29 April. We'll just have a look at the open action items and then the newly-assigned action items. We will not be going through the ones that have been completed. As you can see, a few have them have been ticked so far.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

So first, Ariel Liang is to work with Dev Anand Teelucksingh and Olivier on the development of an overall workspace for the connection of At-Large action items. That's actually in process. We have had a call. We've said a few things and still have not found the ideal solution so far, so we'll continue with our search.

Heidi is to check with ICANN Legal and Constituency Travel on gathering passport information for the ATLAS II travelers to send to the relevant UK ministry.

What I have done on this is to get in touch with the UK GAC representative, who put me in touch with someone at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, who told me that in effect there shouldn't be any trouble with any of our participants in getting their visas.

Maximum waiting time at the moment is about 15 days, I'm told, and provided they have their invitation letter from ICANN, which is the letter they can request through the website, there shouldn't be any problem at all. It looks as though the entities are aware of the meeting taking place in London.

I don't know if Heidi wants to – Heidi hasn't reached being on the call yet. Maybe we'll come back to this afterwards. I don't know if any of you have heard of problems or have had problems in obtaining visas. I don't see anyone putting their hand up, so now, Tijani. Yes, please. Go ahead, Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you, Olivier. Just to think more clear, it is 15 working days, which is three weeks, not two weeks.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Three weeks, okay. That's significant, actually. Maybe could I ask that a reminder gets sent to the ALTAS II participants mailing list to ask if anybody has not started trying to obtain their visas, because if we look back, we're now 38 or 37 days away. Three weeks. They really do need to get their visas. If anybody hasn't started yet, they need to get started. Otherwise, they will miss on the ability to get their visa on time.

Shall we have this as an action item? Staff to send a reminder to the ATLAS II participant list for anyone to get their visas and, if they don't have an invitation letter, pointing to the page that provides you with an invitation letter. Okay?

Next, Cheryl and Evan are to liaise with Rudi Vansnick in regard to the implementation of consumer metrics and follow up on further details. Now, do we have anyone on the call who would be able to provide us with an update on this?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I can provide an update on the consumer metrics.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Welcome, Evan.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Thanks. There's not much to say at this point. They're still moving along. There's going to be, from the looks of it, a very expensive survey that's going to be done as part of this. Right now, people are thrashing

through the specifics. Staff is giving feedback on the various costs and pains involved in doing the particular metrics.

It's still a bit of a fight to make sure that the ones that ALAC put in are still there, but it looks like a good chunk of that is going to be done.

At the heart of this, I think is what ICANN is going to judge is what constitutes success or failure of the gTLD expansion program. So part of what we're running into with the metrics thing has to do with what's considered to be success or failure. So some of the metrics that were important in the ALAC results aren't necessarily shared elsewhere heavily in the organization.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much for this update, Evan. Has there been any pushback specifically? Because I remember our last discussion, there was some pushback for some metrics which we felt were particularly important.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: There are some that are going to be difficult to get, but one of the things that is heartening is that the group as a whole has agreed to push ICANN to pay for a survey. That is, not depend just on its own community, but also to actually do a contracted company to do a poll of people in terms of whether or not the expansion is working for them or not. Some of the questions that's going to be part of that is going to be the kind of things we've been asking for.

It was clear that when we were trying to figure out some of the things that it was not going to be something that could be measured with steps that ICANN itself is keeping.

Some of the more difficult things that they're finding is going to be: apparently law enforcement is not going to make it as easy as we thought to be able to track complaints about fraudulent websites. That particular kind of metric is going to be more difficult to get than we or anybody within ICANN figured.

Apparently, the law enforcement community either is keeping that either close to the vest, or they simply aren't keeping as well as we would hope for the purposes of doing the tallies. So that's the kind of thing that we're running into.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Well, good work in that working group. You've got weekly calls on this? Don't you, on this?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Sorry?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: You have weekly calls? Is it weekly conference calls that you have?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Yes, and that's where I get to run into Matt again.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Let's move on then. Staff to monitor the use of additional languages over the course of a few months as ALAC, APRALO, and LACRALO calls will be offered additional language interpretation by the language services. That's ongoing, of course. I hope that staff is collecting the metrics and the data for this.

Next, going further down, the ALAC is to create an At-Large ad hoc task force or working group at the upcoming ALAC call to organize this selection of two ALAC reps to the transition of NTIA's stewardship of the IANA functions.

We have a subset of action items underneath that. I know that this is all [inaudible]. I had a few message from Heidi to ratify or give a green light to several messages that will be sent out very soon to the ALAC list to ask for members of that ad hoc task force.

Just reminding you all that if you want to go for the position on the steering committee itself, then of course you shouldn't apply to be on the selection process. That's quite obvious.

Now, if we move further down – oh yes, one last thing on this topic. Of course, the suggestion of having a steering committee so far is just a suggestion. As you know, this was announced as a possibility in the last public comment period on the IANA [purpose].

So I think reading the feedback, it looks as though the task force will be created. But there are some questions as to the composition of the task force. The ALAC itself is not under question, but a position by ISOC is under questioning since the IGF would already have two seats on this

steering committee. So some parts of ICANN believe that this brings too many seats for the Internet Society.

Let's move down: newly-assigned action items. Here we have the At-Large Ad Hoc Task Force and the selection of two ALAC representatives for the ICANN-wide IANA stewardship transition steering committee is to be created within two weeks from 29 April 2014. As I said, this is a repeat of what's been said earlier. That's on its way.

The new Ad Hoc Working Group on the Transition of U.S. Government Stewardship of the IANA Function is to be created. That's a working group. Staff is to send a call for membership for this new group, set up its weekly workspace, and create a mailing list.

What's the status on this? Is this in process as well?

ARIEL LIANG:

Olivier, there are wiki workspace and mailing list for this working group. The group's already been created. I think Heidi is in charge of sending out the call for memberships, so it's in progress.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Okay, excellent. Thank you. That's going to be an open membership of course. We have to bear in mind that there is also a joint working group between the ALAC and the NCSG that is likely to be created, or at least a small task force, some kind of liaising between NCSG and the ALAC as well.

The new gTLD Working Group is to analyze the input on PABs and suggest the next step by contacting At-Large staff. The comments closes

on 7 May 2014. Now, there's been a bit of a change in this. The comment period has been extended for another –

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: To the 21st.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you very much, Evan. To the 21st, so that's still pending. The formation of an ad hoc At-Large curation working group is to be placed under items for decision on the May 2014 ALAC call. That's in progress, and we will begin to fix this during the next ALAC call. I know that there has been a call for members, etc. Well, it's not a call for members, sorry – a preparation for this. So that's on its way.

RALO leaders to follow up on the ALSes to be decertified listed on the wiki page, which is given here. Just quickly, have you checked with your RALO about this information? Because I'm a little concerned so far. We have effectively one, two, three, four different ALSes under consideration at the moment.

As you know, they need to have pertinent information as to why they should be decertified and at the moment, I don't in many of them – in fact, I can't even see any of them – having the information that's needed.

In EURALO, I will check with Wolf Ludwig if we can get hold of some information. LACRALO, Dev, do you have any information regarding this? I'm just trying to see. Ah, great. So that requires – okay.

So National Consumer League there is a decertification in there, so that's fine. The Asociacion Costarricense de Derecho Informatico is behind a log-in screen for some reason. I don't know. Yeah, it's behind the log-in screen. Dev, any information on this?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I'm surprised the page is under log-in but, yes, those two ALSes should be decertified. We have the evidence already from regarding National Consumers League in Jamaica. They have filed an e-mail request. They've sent an e-mail about a year and a half ago saying that they no longer wish to be involved in At-Large.

In regards to the Costa Rica one, that one is completely defunct. There's no website. There's no contact information for quite a few years now.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Could I ask you, Dev, to go back to LACRALO leadership? Send an e-mail to Humberto and to...

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I know Humberto. Okay.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, and find out. I don't know how they can prove something that doesn't exist anymore, but perhaps show that the website doesn't exist anymore and send an e-mail to the representative and show the bounce and then add this to the page. Because then what we will be doing is to

launch a vote and, of course, ALAC members have to be convinced that this association is indeed defunct.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Will do.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: And with regards to NARALO, Evan, any information on those two?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I was under the impression that the two that are being considered, they've already collected the due diligence. I think one was called the Alberta Community Networks or something like that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I forget the other one.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Alberta Community Network Association. The other one is Consumer Web Watch. But I don't see on the wiki any details about those two.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. I will have to confirm with the RALO. The Consumer Web Watch essentially was the one that Beau Brendler was head of. He effectively

left when Consumers Union disbanded the Web Watch organization, so it doesn't even exist.

So that's where you can do due diligence. I don't know if you can find proof from someone to say it doesn't exist anymore. It's just not there. So I think that's part of the difficulty they've been running into. To get verification to say it doesn't exist is actually part of the challenge. We can't get any proof it exists. We can't get anyone to say with proof that it doesn't exist.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Is there a website that's listed?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I don't think the website exists anymore.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Well, maybe that's one proof.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: There's multiple circumstantial things.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: One just needs to have this on the wiki. That's all. First, Alan, and then Heidi. Alan Greenberg?

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. We accredited the ALS based on statements from Beau. He has made statements, and I'm sure we can find e-mails, saying it doesn't exist anymore. Why should we require more evidence to disband than we did to create?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Alan. I'm not saying we require more evidence. I'm just saying that we need to fill those pages with evidence, so whatever evidence it is, if you can find that e-mail from Beau and put it on the wiki, that I'm sure will satisfy ALAC members when they have to vote. Heidi Ullrich?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you, Olivier. I'm believe that if you go to the Consumer Web Watch website, which is still up, there's a little note that says that it's basically [inaudible], etc. Someone could take a look at that. That information on there I think that might be useful.

But just another question. Are the RALOs supposed to be responsible for providing the evidence of the need for decertification and putting it on the wiki themselves, or is staff expected to do that? Because we might realize that staff [inaudible].

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Heidi. The request was made of the RALOs. It actually said, "ALSes in the process of being decertified should be updated with inputs from RALOs." So the RALO wants, and the ALAC,

decertified, they need to provide the proof. It's their responsibility to add it, and in some cases, it's going to take just five minutes. Okay? So finding the right e-mail and putting it on the wiki, and then we can launch the discussion and the vote at the next ALAC meeting.

I would be sorry if we were to miss this opportunity because of lack of information during the ALAC call because, of course, we need [to cover] the process.

Evan, if I could ask you to – or Alan, either of you – if I could ask you to check with Garth and with Glenn so they collect that information and put it in the wiki space. That would be very helpful.

Okay, let's move on then. Back to the action items, and the next action item is for staff to add the item of ALS decertification to the next ALAC call. That will be done.

Finally, Nathalie Peregrine should post the new online ALS application info on a wiki space viewable to the public and to publicize the wiki space.

Has this been done?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Olivier, I can speak on that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Please, go ahead, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. So the discussion that we had had before was that I was going to go to legal to make sure that this change – there had been [inaudible] changed in the wording and a couple of additional things – and whether that would require Board approval.

So there's been e-mails. Legal and Nathalie are going to have just a quick chat just to go over what those things are, I believe tomorrow. After we get that, then we can go ahead and post it on the wiki and move forward on this issue. Thanks.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you very much for this, Heidi. Let's move on then. I don't see anyone putting their hand up to comment further on these topics.

Let's move to the next topic, which is the ALT action items. You'll note that some are probably repeated from before. Oh, actually, some are ticked here and were not ticked on the other side.

So the creation of the At-Large Ad Hoc Task Force Working Group is actually shown as being completed here. If I could ask to coordinate the accepting of the action items on both sides so that we have the same ticking, that would be great.

Newly-assigned action items: Ariel to work with Alan on the updating the former At-Large Structures workspace and ensure that it's information is accurate and up to date. Let's ask Ariel. Oh, no, I see first Alan. You've put your hand up, so let's ask Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm having a complete mental blank on this one.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Ah-ha.

ALAN GREENBERG: I know I've commented on the workspace not being up to date, but I don't remember that one being assigned to me at all. Was I at the meeting?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Then we will have to ask Ariel, who no doubt knows. Ariel Liang, you have the floor.

ALAN GREENBERG: Excuse me. I think that was the meeting that I was at a policy implementation meeting instead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It might well be.

ARIEL LIANG: I sent an e-mail to Alan about scheduling a meeting to talk about the workspace, and so I will try to get a meeting with Alan to talk about it this week or next week.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Ah-ha, so back to you, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: For future reference, e-mails buried among other e-mails is not necessarily the way to catch my attention, but thanks. Use caps.

ARIEL LIANG: I usually send you e-mail and another e-mail and a Skype chat

ALAN GREENBERG: I'll look into it. I'm not quite sure what it is, but I'll talk to Ariel about it. We'll see.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much. And Ariel, next time, call The Men in Black and get them sent over to Alan's house. They will be reading his e-mails.

ALAN GREENBERG: Use uppercase in the subject.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, staff to follow up with Julie in regards to the meeting with the SSAC. Julie Hammer – do we have Julie? Julie isn't here today, so I don't know whether there's been...

JULIE HAMMER: Olivier, I am here.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Oh, fantastic.

JULIE HAMMER: Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, Julie, please.

JULIE HAMMER: I'm here. That Julie was actually Julie Hedlund that the action item was on or that the contact was to be made with. I did give Julie Hedlund a head's up that staff would be contacting her. I see on a couple of e-mails that you and Julie and Heidi have been looking at scheduling, and it's all very difficult. It looks like you're getting close to a solution on that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thank you very much, Julie. So a note for staff to use full names, please, since that was a bit confusing.

JULIE HAMMER: Olivier, you can't believe how confusing that is in SSAC meetings. We can't even say, "Julie H."

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Well, then you're probably going to have to use other names than that.

JULIE HAMMER: Indeed.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: The way SSAC corresponds behind closed doors is up to the SSAC. I guess if you could assign numbers: Julie 1, Julie 2, Julie 3.

Just to let you know, it looks as though we might have the possibility of having a meeting with the SSAC on the Monday afternoon because, at the moment, the SSAC is very busy with a lot of things as well.

I have looked with staff at the possibility of various slots that we or SSAC might have and various issues. So at the moment, the latest that I've heard just a few minutes ago was an e-mail from Patrik Falstrom saying he would probably be able to come and see us for half an hour and then we'll take it from there.

Next, staff is to publicize the ALAC GAC meeting questions space and ALAC board meeting questions space on the ALAC list and request topics for these meetings. These topics were requested. I've asked for a few topics on the Skype chat since it was nothing to be coming through the e-mails. We have a couple of questions, a couple of topics for the GAC-ALAC meeting.

Do we have topics for the ALAC board meeting yet?

HEIDI ULLRICH: No.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, so that's something we're going to have to work on in a few minutes, perhaps not during the action items but during the middle of this call.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Sorry, I'm not on Adobe Connect, but in the Adobe chat, when we were solicited for feedback, you got some from me. I don't know if it's going to be taken into consideration or not.

But I kind of object to the way that this all gets done, that the Board says, "Can you months in advance give us what it is you want to talk to us about?" What we end up finding out is when we get into the meetings, it's not as if they needed the time because these things are the subject of intense preparation.

This is a time and this is a particular instance where I would like the bulk of the meeting to actually have the Board talking to us and telling us whether or not their expectations are being met while we have the rest of the ATLAS group that is going to be with us.

This is not going to be a conventional meeting. This is not going to be a conventional time with the Board, and the standard format of, "You give us your three questions and we give you our three questions and you vet ours and we vet yours," I don't think that's going to work this time.

I think a little bit of slack needs to be cut, and I think we need to have a bit of a more open-ended session that has people on the Board that are effectively talking to us and talking to the rest of the At-Large Structures that are there about how we can be more effective, of where our wins

have been, where we have not met our potential. I'd like to get the impression from the Board of that.

That's not a specific policy question. That's not the kind of thing that fits neatly into what's been asked before. But I think it's the kind of thing that's desperately needed at this particular meeting. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you very much, Evan.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I said that in the chat as well.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, that's good. Thank you. Alan Greenberg?

ALAN GREENBERG: Just one caution. You've heard me complain about the board taking that meeting as opportunity to lecture us. This sounds like an opening for that. I know that's not what Evan intended.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Actually, Alan, I don't mind about the lecture if it means we have the opportunity to answer back. The particular nature of the lecture that happened last time happened to be particularly uniformed, and as the GAC proved by the end of the meeting, totally factually incorrect. So I'm hoping that was an aberration.

Well yeah, maybe it is a lecture. I'm not scared of that. What I want to find out is what the Board thinks we should be doing, how we can get out message better.

This has been a constant thing. When we're in front of the other ALSes, we have to show some wins. We have to show how we're getting our point across. If the Board wants to use that opportunity to skewer the relationship, that's its option, but it would be extremely poor timing.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Just for the record, it's not a matter of being scared. It's a matter of wasting time. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Alan, and thank you, Evan, on this. I see Holly Raiche.

HOLLY RAICHE: Just a brief comment on that conversation particularly. I, too, was a bit shocked at the defensiveness of the way the Board behaved at last meeting. There is an advantage in warning them in advance of what to expect, except we wound up in a fairly unproductive meeting.

Evan, I like your idea, and if we phrase it as, "This is an opportunity for the Board to talk to a whole bunch of ALSes this time about how we can work together," maybe make it positive. But I think we still need a couple of topics so that it doesn't just become a lecture, either defensive or proactive or whatever. Thanks.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thanks very much, Holly. I do have to tell Evan: be careful what you wish for. You mentioned uninformed board members, and I must say one of the recommendations that was given maybe about a year ago was that the ALAC should actually think about having conference calls between ICANN meetings so as to do some work between ICANN meetings.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Hey, that's a great idea!

HOLLY RAICHE: Yeah.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I thought, "That's an excellent idea, and I'll take you up on this, and maybe in a few years' time, we'll be doing this." But beware because this is the sort of advice you might receive. That would be on the record and might not be the best thing to have in front of all of our ALSes.

But I'll let you think about this. We're going to come back to this in a few minutes. We'll first finish the action items, and whilst we go through the more items, we can all think of the topics that we would like the Board to ask us about, or counsel us on, or that we would like to ask the Board.

Okay, that's the action items for the time being. Let's move to the next stage of our agenda, and that's the items for discussion. I invite you all

to have a look at the policy advice development page. We have still a number of statements currently being developed.

First is the ICANN Draft Five-Year Strategic Plan (FY16 – FY20). That was assigned to Dev and Raf Fatani. Dev, have you had a chance to speak with Raf or e-mail Raf and make some progress on this? I do realize that the target date is the end of this month, so 15 days have passed by. Dev Anand Teelucksingh?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Sure. Yes, I've chatted with Raf, and he we do have a draft comment in Google Docs I can share with you after, or actually I can do it now, I guess, in the chat.

Essentially, the comments we're making are there's a lack of translated versions regarding this plan, which inhibits the multi-stakeholder community to effectively comment on it.

It also makes the mention of IDNs – that it should be given a bigger strategic focus to improve the technical universal acceptance of IDNs.

Under the focus area three, it's all [inaudible] on one page. The focus area three, ICANN should include a focus on improving the logistical support needed for ICANN's board and staff, and the various ACs and SOs to be able to fulfill their work in a timely, coordinated matter.

And under focus area 4.1 regarding the ensuring of ICANN's role in the evolving Internet ecosystem is clear, recognized, and well-understood worldwide. A further comment that I said, it really should be emphasizing a little bit more on the ICANN stakeholder groups.

I also tried to make some mention of whether there was any prior knowledge that should have been done for the previous strategic plans as to whether the objectives on prior plans were achieved or not.

So the draft is there. So hopefully I will...sorry.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, that's great. Could you just let me know that the draft I see here – there's a draft and then there are some links for reference, and then there's some more text after this.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: That's right. Well, what's underneath is more of our staff version underneath all of that. It's only just that first page.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. I see. Is this ready to be transferred over the wiki for it to be publicized?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Well, I wanted to get some more comments from Raf first. Perhaps by tomorrow you can get it put up on the wiki. Yeah.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: We leave it in your hands, but please, as soon as you've got it on the wiki – and I'm hoping that it will be tomorrow – let Ariel know, and Ariel will send out the call for comments from the ALAC. Well, Ariel will ask

you for a timeline and so on, but we'll work out a timeline quickly and then get the comments in from At-Large.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, sure.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Great, thanks. So next is Interim Report Internationalized Registration Data Expert Working Group, and there we have a statement which was drafted by Raf Fatani, and the ALAC is currently voting on the statement.

The ICANN Strategy Panels – again, note there are actually four different statements in one statement – four parts to this statement because they each have to be submitted to a separate forum, and so the ALAC is currently voting on this statement.

Can I just remind you, I've noted earlier Ariel's sending a number of reminders to everyone for their votes. For anyone who hasn't voted, please put your vote through. I think their votes are closing tomorrow, Ariel, aren't they?

ARIEL LIANG: Yes, closed at 23:59 UTC, and we only have two people who haven't voted.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Ah, okay, because I saw massive amounts of e-mails in my mailbox earlier. I'm not quite sure. Maybe now people have voted. Okay, that's good.

Next, the Draft Proposal of the Principles and Mechanisms and the Process to Develop a Proposal to Transition NTIA's Stewardship of the IANA Functions. What a short title that is.

The ALAC has submitted a statement with pending ratification, and a vote is currently taking place. So that's fine as well.

I've read, by the way, a lot of the other statements that were made by members of the community, etc., and I think I've even discussed the ALAC's proposal on the SO and AC chairs conference call on Monday. That was very well received by everyone, so at the moment, it looks like we are swimming in the right direction, or at least we're swimming in the direction where everyone else is swimming as well. We'll see where we go at the end.

Enhancing ICANN Accountability and Board Member Compensation: currently looking for someone to pick up the pen and draft something, or maybe we don't need a statement on these. I see Alan Greenberg has put his hand up. So, Alan, you have the floor.

ALAN GREENBERG: First question is, what's our position?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Well, that's interesting indeed.

ALAN GREENBERG: It's fine for one person to take write an opinion and have it rubber-stamped, but I think this is a substantive issue.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah. So with regards to seeing the discussions that we're having and so on, there's already been some discussion regarding enhancing ICANN accountability, as this is the follow-up to the ATRT and the ATRT-2. So there has been, certainly, plenty of discussion within At-Large about this.

The question of course now is linking this to the NTIA topic. It brings a new factor into this. What the public comment process asks is a set of questions that are there.

What issues does the community identify as being core to strengthening ICANN's overall accountability in the absence of its historical contractual relationship to the U.S. Government?

What should be the guiding principles to ensure that the notion of accountability?

Do the Affirmation of Commitments and the values expressed need to evolve to support global acceptance of ICANN accountability?

What are the means by which the Community is assured that ICANN is meeting its accountability commitments? etc., etc.

There are a number questions there to start us off. I definitely think that there are quite a few points of view in At-Large about this.

Alan Greenberg?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, sorry. I'm confused. I thought we were talking about Board compensation.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Nope, I mentioned the two, but the first one is Enhancing ICANN Accountability.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, sorry. I was talking about the Board compensation one.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Ah, okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: I thought that's the one that we were talking about. I missed the [duo] one.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It's okay. I was mentioning both at the same time, but on the agenda, the first one was...

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, when you get to compensation, call on me.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Oh, okay. Excellent, Alan. And I won't call on, therefore, on you for any of the accountability and transparency things, since I know you're far-removed from this.

ALAN GREENBERG: Of course, I have no interest whatsoever.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Any thoughts on this? I think we probably are among the more vocal groups in ICANN on this, so we definitely need to be starting with this statement and a sort of starting shot. I just wonder, should we give this to a working group to work on?

Holly Raiche?

HOLLY RAICHE: Yeah, it's a huge of set issues more than an issue. Having read the strategy plans and particularly one of the four – I forgot the name of it – but that was in my comment, there are some really good sorts to start with in some of those strategy reports and in stuff that's come out of NETmundial.

I just don't think we can deal with this in a teleconference call with a number of people. It's really going to have to be a working group coming up with some ideas, coming up with some suggestions and seeking comment. It's a huge set of topics for us to deal with here.

And look, as Alan has pointed out on the list, there's almost a whole day on this stuff. Now, are we going to do something beforehand, or are we

just going to listen on, I think it's the Thursday, and then come up with something? What's the timing, as well? I guess that would be my next question. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: The timing is actually completely insane as it sometimes is for such topics. The initial comment period closes on 27 May, and the reply period closes on 18 June, just in time for the ICANN meeting to take place. So that's the fun part. That means we will not be able to discuss any of this face-to-face, or if we do, we will after the ship has sailed. This is where we need to be proactive and think about this quite carefully.

If we wait for the ALAC call, that will be too late. If we send it to a working group, I would say we could send it to, on the one hand, the Future Challenges could be one of the working groups. On the other hand, the Internet – what is it? – the Registrant Issues is one that also has done much work on these things.

I'm not really sure. Or we could have some of us who have been on the ATRT-2 lead on this well, but it's just being able to get enough input from our community on this I think is important.

Holly, again?

HOLLY RAICHE: Yeah.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, go ahead.

HOLLY RAICHE: I think the Future Challenges is probably the place. Sorry, Evan, but that puts you in it, and I think it also puts me in it. I don't think we can do more at this stage than actually try to identify the questions and identify where some answers may be, and then say clearly, "These are issues for further discussion." I just don't think we can do more than that. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you for this, Holly. Alan Greenberg?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, Olivier, you asked a question on the accountability webinar the other day of: is this going to be a self-reporting or is there going to be someone to report to? And the tone of a lot of these questions implies that the community – this unspecified mass – is going to be the judge.

One of the questions I think we might want to address is: do we believe that is going to be satisfactory, or does there need to be some entity that meets twice a year and says, "Yes, ICANN is doing a good job," or "No, here's why you're not"? I'm exaggerating.

Because it's easy to say, "No, we don't think the accountability is sufficient," but it's a lot harder to identify exactly what is the metric that it's going to be measured on.

I'm somewhat at a loss to know how to proceed on this. I'm not about to volunteer to draft something, but I surely would like to participate in the discussion. But I think we need to have discussions, not just someone going off and drafting it, a piece of prose.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Alan. For this, I'm starting to think this as well. Maureen Hilyard?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Olivier. What Alan raises is very much associated with the ALAC metrics issue. We're finding that quite a difficult issue to deal with. I think that if ICANN's accountability, if that sort of statement or whatever was made about ICANN accountability, we could perhaps relate the ALAC and others could, too, to the metrics that we require for ALAC because we related to that as well.

It's just a thing that Alan raising it has sort of made me realize that we don't have anything to attach our metrics. It's in our rules of procedure, but within the ICANN system itself, people saying, "Well, we don't have to do it because we're our own entity. We got elected, and we're not accountable to anybody." But in fact, they are, and ICANN having a statement on accountability would actually help us, I think. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you for this suggestion, Maureen. I'm starting to think maybe we should have a conference call on this – an At-Large conference call on this – so that there would actively be a joint

conference call with the Future Challenges and the Registrant Issues Working Group, or we could even have it as an ALAC conference call.

Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, I think it's an ALAC. Now, I'm not saying other people can't participate, but I think it's an ALAC call, and I would suggest that a few people who are interested in the subject meet before that to put up talking points, bullet points, and questions to ask the larger group. Because again, an hour-and-a-half conference call doesn't end up with an awful lot of time to really discuss substantive issues.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: We need to structure this carefully. I will do some homework.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah. I would make it a two-stage thing.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah. Okay. Thanks.

ALAN GREENBERG: Then we may make a comment which essentially ends up being bullet points, not some carefully written prose, but just issues or things like that that come out of the process. So I think there's enough time to do that before the closing date, but just barely.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. I see agreement from Holly and from Dev on this. Tijani Ben Jemaa?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you, Olivier. I do think that it will need a call for ALAC about this issue, and to prepare it by some of you who were in the ATRT-2 is a good thing, too. But we need to have this discussion very soon because the deadline is not as far from now. If we wish to have a good position or a good comment position, we need to be very soon so that we can draft later something that reflects the point of the whole people. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you very much, Tijani. And I see Evan Leibovitch.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Thanks. I hope you can hear me. I'm actually talking from a moving bus, so excuse me if there's background noise. Can you hear me okay?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Very well.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Yep.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Better than usual. Better than usual. You should be doing it all the time.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Yeah, I ought to go to meetings from a moving bus more often, I guess. Actually – okay, that you heard.

Anyway, what I was going to suggest was that, in the way that Alan was saying, “Okay, let’s put this together in a small group of people and then have something ready for the ALAC,” well, that’s pretty well exactly what the possibility of putting this to Future Challenges would entail.

This is the way things are supposed to work. You take a topic. You put it down into a working group. It gets churned into a working group, and by the time it comes to ALAC, there’s something moderately well-formed – at least the draft of something – that then the ALAC could work on and a good bunch of the heavy lifting has already been done.

So what I’m going to suggest is I’ve already heard from Holly and from Alan, so possibly send an e-mail to myself and Jean-Jacques as chairs of Future Challenges, cc Alan. I don’t know if Alan is actually a member of the working group, but let’s put this into the working group.

We can do that sort of small group thrashing our heads together, and perhaps we can come up with something that can then be presented to the ALAC so the ALAC isn’t reinventing the wheel and doing all the small stuff.

Thank you. I’ll go back on mute.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thanks very much, Evan. So I'm looking at the calendar at the moment. The initial comment period closes in two weeks, and then we've got the reply period. I have a feeling that we will not be able to have something that will hold together by the end of the initial comment period, in which case, we will have to submit during the reply period. I guess we've already advised the process that this will be the case.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Olivier, can we just send them a letter now just informing them to expect something that, because of the nature of the way At-Large works, that we can't just turn things overnight? Just inform them to expect something from us but that we're not going to be able to work under these compressed timelines?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Evan, I would say that's an action item. Yes, absolutely. So, Ariel, if you've got that one: so staff to advise the people in charge of this comment period or the ALAC need to provide the statement in the reply period. And it's Theresa Swinehart who is in charge of this. So that's one.

The other thing I was going to suggest then is, looking at the calendar. Can the Future Challenges working group turn something out in time for the ALAC monthly call on the 27th, and then we could have a second call? So on the ALAC monthly call, we would be then announcing a special-purpose call on the 28th or the 29th or the 30th of that same week.

And the special-purpose call would then have one-and-a-half hours/90 minutes to discuss this issue and therefore provide the drafting team with enough input to be able to have a statement. Because there would be a call, that would already advance much of the discussion, rather than just having the discussion on the mailing list.

Evan Leibovitch, and then Alan Greenberg?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Oh, sorry. It was an old hand, but I'm going to take the opportunity to respond to you. I'm perfectly happy with doing that within Future Challenges. I can't speak for Jean-Jacques, but it seems certainly totally reasonable. Thanks.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you, Evan. Alan Greenberg?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, as I said in the chat, if someone adds me to the Future Challenges mailing list, that's fine. Whether I participate in the Future or not is moot.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: But what I put my hand up for is it's fine to say we're going to schedule a special-purpose meeting after the ALAC call, but we can't announce it

on the Tuesday and say the meeting's going to be on Wednesday. We'll get no attendance. We have to schedule that meeting now.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, what we will do is actually just schedule it now, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That's what usually works.

ALAN GREENBERG: Sorry. You used the word "announce," so we'll remind people.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Remind people. Sorry. Apologies. It is nearly midnight here.

ALAN GREENBERG: I understand.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Things go at a slower pace.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Aw, poor thing.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Holly Raiche is next. Go ahead, Holly. I know it's beautiful in Australia.

HOLLY RAICHE: Now you know how I feel on most calls. A couple of things. Also add me to the mailing list. But on the action item number two, are we talking just about ICANN accountability? Are we not talking about ICANN accountability in the context of the NTIA announcement? Because the way it looks, that's...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: The name of the public comment is actually called, "Enhancing ICANN Accountability." That's the name which was chosen by ICANN for this, so we're not going to change the whole name of it. But what we can do, though, is to change the name of the workshop that we will have. Obviously, we can provide a little preamble. Call it, "Enhancing ICANN Accountability," and then explain, "in the light of the NTIA announcement."

HOLLY RAICHE: I think that would make sense, and that would be clearer than what we're talking about. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Excellent. Thanks. I see no more hands up, so we've got an action item here. I'm going to read it to make sure that it's correct: "Staff to schedule a special purpose call for – not about – but for 90 minutes. So a 90-minute special-purpose call to discuss the enhancing ICANN accountability public comment. Participants will include members of the

Future Challenges Working Group and Registration Issues Working Group.”

In fact, the participation is for everyone. But the first part of this is actually for the Future Challenges Working Group to be tasked with developing some main line that will help with the workshop. And that action item for the Future Challenges Working Group has a deadline of the ALAC call on 27 May.

If we can also schedule that workshop, either on the 28th, 29th, or 30th and announce is as soon as possible.

Okay. Let’s move on then. Thanks very much this discussion. I was a little bit concerned that we hadn’t moved anywhere on this.

Now, there’s another statement which is not on there yet, and that’s the budget process. I’m not sure whether we’ve got – Ariel, did you note that there was also a budget process public comment period opening up?

ARIEL LIANG:

Hello, Olivier. I’m constantly checking this public comment website. I didn’t see it updated on the website. So where did you see this budgetary PC?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

It’s not there, actually. I’m just checking the original now, and I don’t see it either. That’s very strange indeed. It might well be that it’s forthcoming in a few days’ time. The Finance and Budget Subcommittee is on top of that, anyways, so that’s fine.

Okay, let's move on then. Any other questions. Oh, Tijani Ben Jemaa, you've raised your hand, perhaps on this topic, so Tijani, you have the floor.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you, Olivier. I would like to remind everyone that the announcement of the public comment on the operating plan and the budget has been announced and is open. The period of the public comment is open. So perhaps it is not yet on the right page, but it is already open. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Oh, thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: There was an announcement by ICANN, and also it was relayed by, I think, At-Large staff.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thanks very much, Tijani. That's what I thought, but just looking now at the ICANN public comments page, I can't find it, which is strange.

Could we ask Ariel? Could you please check with the people in charge of that page and perhaps check with Xavier Calvez and find out? Because it's highly unusual that this is not advertised on the public comment page of ICANN. It says here, yes, Sebastien says it was opened on 8 May – budget. Very strange.

Okay. Sebastien, I don't know whether you're able to speak, but was this going through a standard public comment system, or was this a separate track that doesn't go through the public comment process?

Sebastien Bachollet is typing as we speak. He doesn't know but will check. Okay. But it was opened on 8 May – the budget process.

Okay, let's do a quick follow-up on that, Ariel. Thank you for checking this.

Let's move on. Now, we are on the next item in our agenda, and that is the ATLAS II updates. We've got 30 minutes for this. Yeah, that's pretty much all we have to discuss today.

The first thing we have to look at is the schedule and agenda of the ATLAS II, ALAC and ALT meetings. I invite you all to have a look at this schedule. It sends you to a wiki page, which has an updated program. It gets very regularly updated. Apart from the fact that instead of saying time it says epoch, which obviously is some Klingon language of some sort, but the rest of it is all updated and provides us with a good idea of what we are to expect in London.

What I was going to suggest was to take you through this quite quickly. Oh, what do I see here? "What about the [PPEWG] discussion?"

HOLLY RAICHE:

Just timing. Can we fit that in in London? That's all.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Ah. Thank you. I was going to touch on that. I was going to touch on that.

HOLLY RAICHE: Okay. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: But there is going to be tomorrow also an ATLAS II organizing committee call, and we're not able – we have to respect hierarchy, and it really is for the organizing committee to make any changes to this schedule if they wish to do so or if they have the ability to do so.

But what we do need to do is to discuss a few things ourselves here already. So the first thing I was going to do was to just say, well, starting on the Saturday – so we'll start at 9:00. Do we all have the sheet in front of us? It would be good if this could be shared on the Adobe Connect as well for anyone who hasn't got the document. Okay, so the document is here: ewg.ICANN.org. There we go. Excellent.

And Evan is expressing utter disgust regarding consistency travel. Well that's something new. We're still on Saturday, 21 June, so let's start with the introduction, and first question that I might ask you on this – and I will ask the organizing committee tomorrow – setting the scene, plenary attended by all of the SO and AC chairs.

I've already now been asked by GNSO Stakeholder Group chairs whether they should also attend, bearing in mind, this is on a Saturday, and this is the day when the GNSO Council is working – Saturday

morning. Any thoughts on this? None? Okay. Never mind. I'll ask the organizing committee and we'll see.

So there'll be welcome addresses, the usual boring speeches and things. Then moving on, at 10:30, finally a coffee break for half an hour.

Then the first plenary: update on the current worldwide discussion about the future of Internet governance and multi-stakeholder model. That discusses the Montevideo Declaration, the Brazil meeting, the /1Net Initiative, etc.

It is not quite sure at the moment who is going to be dealing with this. I wonder, does staff know about the structure of this? Or maybe, Tijani? You probably would know about the structure of this since you are chairing the Events Working Group?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you, Olivier. I put this session because, for me, it was a good introduction to the breakout sessions. I commented on the last draft given by Heidi, saying that we had to add the new things happening after the U.S. government declaration. So this will be a sort of update of the whole ALS representatives about what is happening now about this question of Internet governance.

But who is doing it, I don't know, and we didn't discuss it yet. So I think it is not something which is very difficult to do because we can do it by our people, our ALAC people, and we can also invite other people to speak about that from outside ALAC. Thank you.

Olivier? I am dropped? Am I dropped? Hello?

ALAN GREENBERG: No, you're still there.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: We can hear you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier seems to have died.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, so it's Olivier. Yeah.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: And we're reconnecting him right now. It'll be one moment.

[DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH]:Tijani, there are questions from Olivier in the chat if you can read it.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: One moment, please. Okay.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I'm back. Sorry about this.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I don't think – okay, okay. So please, Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Sorry. Thank you, Tijani, and I apologize. I pressed the wrong button rather than pressing mute.

Just a question. I'm not sure whether you answered the question that I put in the chat.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I didn't actually get –

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: So would we need members of staff to update the community for this? I'm asking this because we need to know ASAP on these things. Maybe you should ask the organizing committee tomorrow about that.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I think so. I think it is a job of the organizing committee, but to answer your question, I think that it can be someone from the staff who can come and update the community about it, and it can be also someone from us – from our community – talk about that. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you very much, Tijani. So that takes us then to lunch, and then we've got some orientation meeting of ATLAS II At-Large mentoring program.

Heidi, could you please take us through this briefly? Heidi Ullrich, you might be muted. You probably are.

GISELLA GRUBER: Hello, Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, Gisella, go ahead.

GISELLA GRUBER: Heidi's not on the call, I don't believe. She had to leave. With regards to the orientation for the At-Large mentoring program, that is Fatima Cambroneró's program. I don't have the full details, so we'll get back to the At-Large Leadership Team with the details. I don't have them, sorry.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Tijani, might you know something about this?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No, I don't know a lot about that. I don't know more than Gisella said.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Alright, well thanks. Alright. I'll try and just say a few words.

So basically, this is the time when there's just going to be an introduction of mentors with mentees. The idea being that some members of At-Large or seasoned members of At-Large would have allocated to them several of the so-called newcomers, or people who are not that involved in At-Large, and so that they could basically answer their questions, get to know them, and then somehow shepherd them a little bit later on during the next few days afterwards. This is just

an introduction meeting – an orientation meeting – to get those people involved.

Next we have the breakout parallel sessions. There are five breakout sessions. The topics have all been put on the wiki and [inaudible]. So work is progressing on this, and the whole afternoon is taken on with parallel sessions. Finishing the day with a plenary briefing, summarizing what has been going on during the day.

After that, there is a dinner – an ATLAS II dinner – that will be sponsored by Afiliias. There are going to buses that will take us to a pub on Portabella Road, out of all places. Just a stone's throw away from where the film Notting Hill was filmed, just around the corner. In fact, I think it's just about 20-30 meters from the front door of that home. So go and check that film before you come to London, and then take pictures later on in front of that door.

The dinner is sponsored, and then it will finish around 21:00, maybe 22:00 or so. Details are still to be confirmed on this, but it looks like we've got a deal with Afiliias on that.

Now, the next day, Sunday, starting bright at early at 7:00, we have an ALAC Leadership Team meeting with the ccNSO Leadership Team, and it's a working breakfast. Gisella, do you have more information on this?

GISELLA GRUBER:

Olivier, this breakfast hasn't been confirmed yet. We're number crunching with Susie to find out exactly how this is going to be paid for and if it's going to be each person pays for themselves or if we're going

to be able to fund this. So watch this space, as on the schedule, it's still to be confirmed.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thanks. And then we've got a full morning of breakout parallel sessions and then a coffee break. In fact, most of the day is basically all taken up by breakout parallel sessions, which means that our ALAC day is moved to the Monday afternoon. That dramatically changes the fact that we don't have a full day. We will just have about half a day for ALAC work that we usually perform on the Sunday.

The lunch break is sponsored, and on this occasion it's sponsored by PIR, who are inviting us to the Hilton Paddington Hotel, which is I would say 300 meters away from the Hilton Metropole. So that will get us to do a little walk outside in one of the more glamorous parts of London, being able to see the scenery of kebab shops and pound stores. But anyway, great location.

Then we'll have parallel sessions in the afternoon, coffee break, and plenary again in the evening, briefing about the group sessions. On the evening of Sunday, I understand that ICANN is organizing some form of cocktail or something for all participants because this is ICANN's 50th meeting. So that's going to be a busy day.

On the Monday, we've got the opening session in the morning, and then there is from 10:30 to 12:30 this multi-stakeholder roundtable. That's where there is a question mark because so far I haven't seen much discussion in the organizing committee about the multi-stakeholder

roundtable. Hence, I'm a little concerned about the actual running of this roundtable and see what the topic would be, etc.

Does anyone know about this? Tijani Ben Jemaa?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you, Olivier. I am a little bit concerned here because, as you know, Steve gave two alternatives for his open mic session that he wants to organize, and the second option was to do it on Monday. So I don't see on our schedule that we took this into account. I am not sure we will be able to do our...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thank you, Tijani. Olga has forwarded the confirmation that they're going for option one. I think I've heard that they've decided to go for option one, so we're basically set for option one now. That's because every single other SO and AC decided to go for option one. The ALAC was the only part of the community wanting to go for option two. What can you do? I expected defeat on that one, I'm afraid.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. I see. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thanks, Tijani. Do you have any idea of this multi-stakeholder roundtable?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No. It is a question still asking, and I think that tomorrow on our call and organizing committee, we have to decide on that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you very much for this, Tijani. This is where the suggestion or question is because Holly has asked about the possibility of having or asking for a session. Holly, could you just take us through what you are suggesting, please?

HOLLY RAICHE: Yep, happy to. I have [inaudible] the call, gosh, yesterday or this morning – whatever midnight is – with privacy proxy, which I have to say is almost going backwards. Comments were made: “We need to understand what the users think in terms of expectations for privacy proxy and that whole accreditation of privacy proxy servers are.”

Also, the EWG will be releasing its report on June 2, obviously seeking feedback, so the two issues are obviously very, very closely tied together.

I thought it would be a terrific time some time, and maybe for all of the ALSes, to at least see what a policy discussion looks like on an issue that is as critical as all of the “What do we do about privacy proxy?” both in the current environment and in what the EWG is doing, and just once again have people like James Bladel, having Kathy Kleiman, maybe having Volker – having the sort of people who have been involved in the issues for some time, and a way of hashing through what the issues are while ALAC is there and can provide feedback.

So if there's any way to squeeze that kind of discussion into any time in the ICANN meeting, that would be great. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Holly, for this. Just for clarification, the EWG is the Expert Working Group, on which Carlton Samuels is in there. Carlton, obviously, has been battling away and the replacement to the WHOIS services, isn't it? Is that correct?

HOLLY RAICHE: Yes, absolutely, and at the last ICANN meeting, we wound up having a joint meeting because the issues are so similar. It's about the WHOIS accuracy – not only WHOIS accuracy – but about using a privacy proxy server to hide WHOIS details for legitimate reasons mainly, but also for not-so-legitimate reasons.

In terms of the information, the Board some time ago – probably two years now – said, "Is there a better way of dealing with the issue?" So the Expert Working Group is dealing with that issue.

The two issues are so closely entwined, it makes an awful lot of sense to have the larger issue of the requirements for privacy as opposed to the requirements for the access to information made available. That just is a constant, and it's now sort of another critical point where one working group is kind of stalled or going backwards, and the other group is going forwards. We certainly need to understand what people think because we're being asked.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you very much, Holly, for this. I have not seen any progress yet on the multi-stakeholder roundtable as far as the organizing committee is concerned.

What I was going to ask the ALT is whether I could suggest on tomorrow's organizing committee call that the topic which you expressed just now would be the topic of the multi-stakeholder roundtable, bearing in mind though that this would take place at the same time as the follow-ups to the welcomes and their opening sessions.

So it might be up against one of the star topics of the day in the main hall. Thus, I'm not 100% sure whether the multi-stakeholder roundtable would be able to get the likes of James Bladel, Kathy Kleiman, and the people you have mentioned because they might wish to be in the main hall instead.

Tijani Ben Jemaa, your hand is up?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, thank you. I am fine with your proposal to bring this subject to tomorrow's call. But if Holly or any other member of the ALT has ideas or has, I don't know, projects for this multi-stakeholder roundtable, please come tomorrow to the call of the organizing committee and propose it.

I think that we had to decide on it very, very soon. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Tijani. Holly, would you be able to make it to the organizing committee call tomorrow?

HOLLY RAICHE: It depends on the time. I have to teach, but maybe I can send a detailed e-mail message to Tijani.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It's 16:00 UTC.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Exactly.

HOLLY RAICHE: Yeah, look, I have to be teaching a class. I've got 30 students who expect me to be there.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: In the middle of the night?

HOLLY RAICHE: Wait a minute. What was the time again? What time is it?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: 16:00 UTC. 16:00 UTC – probably around 4:00 AM.

HOLLY RAICHE: Wait a minute. Look, I'll have a look.

GISELLA GRUBER: It's 4:00 in the morning for you.

HOLLY RAICHE: Oh, God. Alright.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Equally as bad.

HOLLY RAICHE: Another one.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, I'll tell you what, then. If you can just send us a note, please, and maybe, because I know that Carlton would be more awake around that time, I don't know if you can send a note, copy Carlton on this, and maybe Carlton can come to the OC call and give us a few more details.

HOLLY RAICHE: Okay.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Because at the moment, certainly nothing has been done on that, and that's a new thing that we have to go ahead with. I would go even as far as if they can't decide on this, I would say, "Yes, go ahead with it." The reason being that, as you'll see, we have no other space anywhere else to have this discussion.

So that's the thing, and I certainly haven't seen any suggestions as to what to put in that slot, so that would look as the perfect slot for it.

Let's move on. I realize time is ticking by quite quickly. The ALAC and Regional Leadership working sessions will then be in the afternoon from 14:30 until 17:30. If you look more closely at the Monday agenda, which Gisella Gruber has put in the chat, we will note the makeup of that ALAC and Regional Leadership session.

We've got the welcome, the setting ground rules. Are these updated or not updated? I have to check. Gisella, are these updated and put on the agenda?

GISELLA GRUBER:

Olivier, I'm not sure if Heidi actually updated from our call earlier on. I do believe she did make some amendments, but I wouldn't take this as set in stone.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Okay, so thank you. So we'll have basically the usual discussion with Sally Costerton, discussion with Duncan Burns, and with Chris Gift. On that occasion, I would like to touch on the [darn] website for loss of [inaudible] has been using [darn].

Then after the coffee break, Maguy Serad – I think it's important to have our usual call about contractual compliance, especially bearing in mind that there has been or there appears to have been some good progress with compliance, based on the work that At-Large has done. And thank you very much, Alan, for having done all this work. And thanks to Garth

Bruen, of course, for all the background work that he had done preparing for this.

Then we have hot topic one, and this is suggested to be – this is all suggestions – the IANA stewardship issues. Of course, we'll have to rephrase it because, of course, it's the IANA stewardship. This is just a placeholder.

The second hot topic would be the ICANN accountability and globalization. So that would be a discussion then led by the ALAC, not an overall discussion with everyone.

Reminding you all that this meeting then takes place in the Windsor suite, which is our much-smaller ALAC room than where the plenaries were taking place over the weekend. So that will be our regular setup with a lot of seats around it.

And then, finally, ALAC's working session wrap-up with the At-Large [inaudible] and reporting the usual things.

We still have to decide on a meeting with the SSAC with Patrik Falstrom and Jim Galvin, but we would be able to fit them somewhere during the afternoon on the Monday.

Moving quickly on, if we go back to the other – if I can find it, that would be really helpful – the overall ICANN week. Here we go, ATLAS II draft agenda. I'll put that in the chat as well for you to be able to find it more easily.

So if we go back to the ATLAS II draft agenda, then we reach Tuesday. On Tuesday, we'll have SO and AC chairs addressing the ATLAS II

participants early in the morning from 7:30 until 8:25. I've sent an invitation already to SO and AC chairs to come and talk to us, not to give us a presentation. I limited the presentation and told them one-page maximum. The rest is just going to be interaction and discussion with the community, questions, answers – this sort of thing.

Admittedly, I've also received e-mails from SG (Stakeholder Group), so the GNSO, asking, "Oh, can we also come there because we would like to speak to the At-Large community?" That will be a discussion for the organizing committee tomorrow.

Then at 8:30 to 9:30, we've got the Board with At-Large. Then we've got the ALAC meeting with the GAC. That is yet to be confirmed. We have sent the questions and the topics over to the GAC, and now it's for them to come back to us.

Then we have a lunch break, which is a two-hour lunch break. Then NARALO general assembly and the EURALO general assembly are taking place somehow during the lunch break at the same time simultaneously. So I guess those members of NARALO and EURALO will have to have a packed lunch of some sort.

Then we start with ALAC policy discussion part one and ALAC policy discussion part two. That fills up our whole afternoon. On this, Gisella, could you please put the Tuesday agenda up on the wiki? Oh, it is on there – no it's not. Tuesday, here we go.

So Tuesday, again, in the Windsor suite. We've got the reports – where are we now? Tuesday, here we go. Tuesday, part one, we've got the meeting with the SSAC. That's not going to happen on Tuesday, so this

has to be changed, and we've got a hot topic discussion. This is all yet to be decided.

Then for the part two, we've already got somewhere there it will be all the At-Large working groups. Tijani, you have put your hand up. You have the floor.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, thank you, Olivier. We have decided for the Singapore meeting to change the title of those meetings from ALAC policy discussion to ALAC Work because it is not always a discussion of policy.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It says ALAC Work here, but it looks as though the overall agenda doesn't say that. Thanks for reminding us on this. This will have to be an update on the ATLAS II wiki page.

Who deals with this? It's Heidi. Could we have an action item for Heidi, please, to update the ATLAS II draft agenda to ALAC Work, rather than ALAC policy discussion part one and part two?

So, feedback from the working group –

GISELLA GRUBER: Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, Gisella, go ahead.

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry. We will definitely update the draft agenda on the wiki page, especially further to our call yesterday and today – yesterday with staff and today with you.

There are some amendments, and also with regards to the timing. So for now, if you are planning anything, if you have any specific requests with regards to timing, please do check with staff because we still need to sync the two agendas that haven't yet been done. So if you could just give us until the end of the week to make sure the two are synced.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you, Gisella.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: And I was on that call yesterday as well – that three-hour call.

GISELLA GRUBER: Ah, yes.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: What a headache. Okay, so I won't forget this.

Now, the At-Large working groups, I ask you all quickly – and I'm sorry, it's tedious to have to go through these agendas, but it's there for a reason. It's to ask your input on these because everyone always asks,

“How are these agendas put together?” Well, so far it’s been staff and me.

We made a quick selection suggesting for the working groups to receive updates. Academy Working Group because we don’t hear very much about, and of course in the third meeting, the annual general meeting, there is going to be another round of Academy students, which is now, I think, named ICANN Learn and so on.

So that’s a real success for At-Large. We’d like to get some update as to what’s happening, and I think that Sandra is going to also have to let us know what criteria or how RALOs are going to be choosing people to go, or that the ALAC is going to be choosing people to go, onto this ICANN Academy. So that’s the first one.

Then the Ad Hoc ICANN Accessibility Working Group because that’s just been created. Not very much has happened, and it would be good to have a quick update on this.

Then the At-Large Sub-Committee on Metrics I think is very important because there has been a lot of work, having seen how it’s been progressing.

The Curation Working Group has just started, so it will be a good time for Dev to provide details of what this working group is all about; 15 minutes for this.

Then the Technology Task Force – Dev again. Goodness, that’s a busy afternoon for you. That, again, will probably be able – that’s just five minutes to provide us with details with some of the issues that people have had. I’ve noted yesterday during the webinar, or was it Monday

during the webinar, some people having issues – no, it was yesterday, sorry – some people having issues with using Adobe Connect with Linux, etc., and it's important maybe to be able to share those views with everyone present.

Then At-Large IDN Policy Working Group. We've got a good 15 minutes or so with Edmond and Rinalia because there is a lot going on in the IDN policy at the moment. As you know, most of the work for Chinese character set is now complete. But there's now Arabic, and there's Hebrew, and there is all sorts of Cyrillic character sets, Greek character set.

There's a real concern – which we read the ALAC's recent IDN discussions – there's real concern that there appears to be very little update by communities regarding other character sets than the Chinese character sets. We probably might need to get a few of our people in our ALSes that live in those regions to be involved in those working groups and those variants working groups.

Then finally, the new gTLD Working Group with Evan to provide us with an update on the policy advisory boards (PABs) since that would be the hot topic of the day then as far as new gTLDs are concerned.

Any comments, questions, suggestions? Maybe we could swap things around or whatever. Or have I just filled your ears with so much? Tijani Ben Jemaa?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you, Olivier. I think that we need a small report from the Capacity Building Working Group since we have those sessions [where you

belong] but to prepare the ALSes and perhaps we can give some information of what was done.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. But is this the Capacity Building Working Group, or is this the ATLAS II Capacity Building? Because we...

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No, the Capacity Building...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Go ahead, Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: The capacity building done for the ATLAS II is done by the Capacity Building Working Group.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. So an update of the Capacity Building Working Group. We have to find some time for this. Maybe we'll find a bit of time before. Let's take this as an action item, please. Capacity Building Working Group to be added as working group update.

Dev Anand Teelucksingh?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Alright. So just a thought since Tijani mentioned the capacity building. I was wondering whether the Outreach Subcommittee needs to also have a [inaudible], and particularly regarding the CROPP program.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, very good point indeed, yes. Okay, so Outreach as well. How long would the Capacity Building Working Group and how long would the CROPP outreach need? Five minutes? Ten minutes?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I don't think that we need more than seven minutes.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you very much, Tijani. So seven minutes for the Capacity-Building, and Dev, can you beat seven?

DEV ANAD TEELUCKSINGH: Yeah, I think seven minutes could be done.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, and seven on this. So that's 14 in total. We have to find those 15 minutes in total. Okay, thanks. Thanks for that.

Then we've got a discussion with the NomCom leadership at the end of the day, and later on, yet to be confirmed, the Board cocktail with the ATLAS II. That's yet to be confirmed because the timings are not set up yet, and we're not quite aware of the Board's whereabouts, bearing in mind there'll be a lot of things happening.

Wednesday. Wednesday we start again with SO and AC chairs addressing...

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, just to...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Oh, sorry, I didn't see your hand. Alan Greenberg?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, just a question. If that cocktail is scheduled, the timing implies that it's going to provide the equivalent of a meal. Is that something we can assume?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Schedule a cocktail at 8:30 without that is totally unreasonable.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Alan. As far as finances are concerned with regards to anything to do with At-Large, I think tap water will probably be the most we might get. But maybe Gisella has an update for us on this.

GISELLA GRUBER: The update is that there is, unfortunately, no update. I've chased the Board support today and A) the cocktail hasn't been confirmed, and B) the timing hasn't been confirmed either, but as soon as they have, we'll let you know.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you very much, Gisella. So at the moment it's pay-as-you-drink tap water.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, but the substance of my comment was, if it's scheduled at 8:30 in the evening, it better provide food.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: So in quick response, not wishing to waste too much time, there are a number of kebab shops around the hotel. You can get kebabs, bring them back in, and share them with your friendly Board members. And of course, that will include two bottles of water as well.

Now, let's move quickly to the next thing. Wednesday, we've got the SO and AC chairs addressing the ATLAS II participants, and then general assemblies during most of the day. So most of the morning with

LACRALO and APRALO. LACRALO has got a full three hours, and APRALO has got a full two hours.

Then we've got the AFRALO/AfrICANN joint meeting in the early afternoon. Then after that, the AFRALO general assembly immediately afterwards. So AFRALO is basically going to spend the whole afternoon in the ALAC room.

Then a coffee break, and then in the evening, or sort of late afternoon, the ATLAS Thematic Groups, groups moderators and session experts and reporters would be meeting in order to harmonize the reports and compile them together. That's a good couple of hours put there so as for everyone to work together.

Immediately after that, there's a gala dinner at the Old Billingsgate. The shuttles leave at 19:00 and, of course, it's until 20:00 or so, so an opening that is not just around the corner.

So that's the Wednesday, and Thursday – highly unusual Thursday. Because of the option one having been selected, we've had to start our day at 7:00. From 7:00 until 10:00 AM the final ATLAS II session with the approval of the final documents, and there is a catered breakfast, which will be available for the participants. So that's what we get for moving things forward, which is great. I'm yet to thank [inaudible] for this, so I'll drop him a note on that.

Then immediately after that, you've got the sessions, the big sessions, which will take place in the main hall with remote or possibility of remote hubs, etc. There we'll be discussing the IANA issue.

Then during lunch time, which is just a one-hour between the morning public sessions and the afternoon big public sessions and public forums, there'll be the ALAC wrap-up meeting, which will only be one hour long and that will only involve having to ratify any documents we need to ratify, including the ratifications of the documents which will be presented by the ATLAS II committee to the ALAC. And any other ratification of statements that we might need to be publishing or sending out by then. Then a coffee break in the afternoon.

There's a couple breaks – a half an hour coffee break in the afternoon – but the whole afternoon is taken up by the public forum and then the Board meeting. During the Board meeting, it's still under discussion at the moment, but the ATLAS II reports would be then presented publically in front of everyone.

There is a question of whether it would be in public forum or Board meeting. More likely to be in the Board meeting, since the public forum itself has been shortened and is only going to be a couple of hours long. And that's our Thursday.

Finally, Friday – ATL meetings from 8:00 AM to 11:00 AM, and I believe that we will also be provided with breakfast on the Friday.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Yay!

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Any questions? Comments? It's a long week. It's going to be busy. It's a small hotel, and it's going to be ICANN's busiest meeting to date. So have fun.

Okay, I see that everyone is tired from this, so the questions I have to ask you now is coming back to the beginning of our discussion. There are two things.

First, the approval of an At-Large and ALAC pop-up banner. I ask all the artists among you that you can see, if you can click on this, you've got ALAC, At-Large, and at the moment, we've got the website. We've got a QR code and a logo, but we do not have a motto or a slogan or something to put on there that has to be quite short.

There was some discussion that took place. I absolutely forget where that discussion took place – maybe on the Skype chat maybe. Alan Greenberg?

ALAN GREENBERG: Excuse the point of order, but what is a pop-up banner.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Ah. This is something which is a floor-standing sign that you can unroll with a little holder in the back.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, okay. Now I know what you're talking about. Fine. I didn't know that was what they were called.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I didn't know either, so I've learned quickly. So the pop-up banners – each RALO has a pop-up banner with its own slogan and its own color, etc., but the ALAC should also have some. So we're asked to have a slogan on there. There was some discussion on the Skype chat I think about this, but I just can't quite remember whether there were any or not.

Does anyone have any suggestion?

GISELLA GRUBER: Olivier? Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Ah, I pass to Gisella. You are a star. Yes, you have the floor, and you're a star.

GISELLA GRUBER: It's just the raw data. Sorry if there has been any other discussion in the meantime, but when we initially sent the e-mail to have a slogan, this is what I captured, and you have, regarding the ALAC banner, and then the At-Large banner.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: So there we are. It's on the e-mail. You see? I mixed the e-mail and the Skype. It's on the e-mail. Fantastic. No other discussion has taken place since. So just to remind us all, there was, for the ALAC, "coordinating, gathering, advising" or "gathering, coordinating, advising" by Tijani.

“Consulting, coordinating, advising” by Marie, and no other point by anyone else. So Maureen preferred “consulting” to “gathering.”

Alan, your hand is still up.

ALAN GREENBERG: That’s because I haven’t lowered it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, well done. And now you have. Gisella, you have the floor.

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry, Olivier. Just to say just out of interest what I’m going to put is I’m going to put what the RALOs have chosen in the AC chat. Hopefully, you can see it there just to give you an idea. I know it’s not in there.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay.

GISELLA GRUBER: Just give me a second. I’ll be pasting it one by one into the AC chat.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Excellent. In the meantime, I’ll be scrolling through the replies. On the ALAC, we need to decide here, ladies and gentlemen, “coordinating, gathering, advising” or “gathering, coordinating, advising” or “consulting, coordinating, advising.” Any preference?

ALAN GREENBERG: Consulting sounds more professional than gathering.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Consulting. Okay. Was that Maureen possibly happy that she has Alan's vote?

Okay, Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you, Olivier. The idea of gathering is gathering the whole end user community. That's the idea of gathering. It's not about the [inaudible]. I think that the sequence was logic: [inaudible] first and then coordinating and the advising. The first proposal was this but in another order. I am fine with consulting, but I think that what is more relevant for our role is gathering. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you. Maureen Hilyard? Maureen? Maureen, you might be muted at the moment.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Sorry. Turned it onto mute again. I wasn't that keen on consulting, really, but I didn't particularly like – the gathering doesn't seem to – I've heard what Tijani said, but I was trying to sort of find another way of saying gathering or consulting. What's another word? Because we do consult with our community in order to coordinate all that information into a statement, so I just feel like there might be another word that somebody else might come up with. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you very much, Maureen, for this. Looking at the thesaurus for gathering, I see several names and several words which work, probably even worse than this. Although “aggregate” might be a good [inaudible].

MAUREEN HILYARD: No, no, no.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Concentrate, acquire, stockpile, muster, stockpile, throng – no, that doesn’t quite work. Crush – perhaps not. Swarm – no. It looks as though gathering is all we’ve left – the better of the worst words.

MAUREEN HILYARD: No, no, no, no, no, no.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Holly Raiche?

HOLLY RAICHE: What about listening? Listening, coordinating, advising?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: But that does not include Tijani’s thing of saying gathering as in embracing the community, bringing people in, rounding them up.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Look, I know. I'm really conscious of, if we are trying to be really pedantic about covering everything, we're going to wind up with a slogan that is going to bore us all to death before the slogan's even printed. I think we want something catchy that simply says, "We listen to each other," or, "We hear each other," or something. "Then we talk to each other, and then we talk to other people," if that's what we're trying to say.

But if we sit here and try to cover everything, I'll guarantee you we're all going to look at the pop-up and we're going to die of boredom. So can we put a marketing hat on instead of descriptive hat and think, "What's going to be catchy?"

APRALO is simply "celebrating diversity." That doesn't explain a whole heap of what we do, but it's really catchy, and it covers the fact that we just cover a large area.

So can we take away the pedantic stuff and just say, "What really is catchy about what we do that's going to take somebody's attention and understand that we're a global community? We listen globally. We advise globally. Something that's catchy and not try to cover everything we do because that's not possible. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Okay, thank you very much for this, Holly. I've got Alan, Maureen, and Gisella in the queue. I was going to say herding cats. That's catchy, but I'm not quite sure that works too well.

Alan Greenberg?

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. If you want verbs, there's always soliciting. It has other connotations, mind you.

However, what I put my hand up for is I agree with Tijani's sentiment, but the word gathering standing alone doesn't have that connotation.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thanks, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Now, gathering the community followed by the other words – whatever they were – just does not give that message. It sounds like gathering data.

HOLLY RAICHE: Yeah.

ALAN GREENBERG: In that case, gathering is the wrong word. So I agree with the sentiment, but that word standing alone doesn't give the message there.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Doesn't work. Okay. Maureen and then Gisella. Maureen Hilyard?

MAUREEN HILYARD: I was going to agree with Holly. I like the listening bit because we're often saying the ALSes are the voices of the [inaudible] and the

listening. But again, too, I have to agree with Holly because she says so many wise things.

HOLLY RAICHE: Oh, God.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Is it trying to get some sort of sense of that it actually sort of celebrating diversity is something catchy and something that perhaps isn't so specific. I just wrote down global coordination, but for ALAC, when you think that we actually sort of like cover all the regions, so we do have global perspective, and that we do coordinate all those ideas and put them together into something. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you, Maureen. Gisella Gruber?

GISELLA GRUBER: I don't want to put a spanner the wheels, but if we do decide that we're going to use the three languages – French, Spanish, and English – we also need something that translates well. So if we're looking at something catchy, it's got to be catchy in all three languages.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, that's true, and that's a tough one.

ALAN GREENBERG: You're right.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Alan Greenberg, your hand is up.

ALAN GREENBERG: No it isn't actually, but I did put a comment in the chat if anyone would like it. It won't translate well.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I know. They're "hearding cats," and they don't translate very well, unfortunately.

ALAN GREENBERG: That was a typo until I read it and decided it was better than what I was typing.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: "Hearding."

ALAN GREENBERG: Well, you know, listening.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: What do you think about something more abstract, such as, "Hello, world," or...

ALAN GREENBERG: Only a true techie would accept, "Hello, world."

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I know, I know. It's terrible. "End user voices" or something like this.

ALAN GREENBERG: This is not the time to look for innovation and alertness, Olivier, after a two-hour meeting.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Well, we're not going to get something, I think, unfortunately, at the end of this call. You're absolutely right, Alan. We are all quite tired.

ALAN GREENBERG: I did ask for an any other business, in case you missed it about two hours ago.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: So we will have an any other business. So what I would ask then is, since we have not got a slogan here, to take another 24 hours. When do we have to send those for printing, Gisella?

GISELLA GRUBER: I think that's four days ago.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Four days ago. Since we are unable to track that on this – you put your hand up –

GISELLA GRUBER: Olivier, if I may?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Go ahead, yes.

GISELLA GRUBER: The deadline has passed. We have now finalized for all of the RALOs, so if we can finalize for At-Large and for ALAC over the next, let's say, 24 hours – bearing in mind that that might just become 36 – that would be great, A) to decide that both for At-Large and for ALAC were going to have it in three languages – English, Spanish, French – and then B) the slogan for ALAC and the slogan for At-Large. That would be fantastic.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Right. Thank you for this. I note “global voices” by Maureen. That's a good one as well. Many people like it. Tijani Ben Jemaa, back to you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you, Olivier. I think if we can't agree on a slogan for At-Large or for ALAC, we have already the RALO slogans, and perhaps we will not be able to have others for ALAC and At-Large. It's not a problem for me. It's better than putting things that are not catchy, as you said, and that are not agreed by everyone. And very few and very tight time, I'm not sure we'll get the best slogan we can put for our summit. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Tijani. What does anyone think about the actual slogan we have for our summit, which was the user perspective?

GISELLA GRUBER: Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, Gisella?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Sorry, very important point. Sorry to interrupt. Please note that these banners are not only for the ATLAS II, but they're now going to be used in the future at all meetings and as I think Evan brought up, that we may even consider using them for outreach, CROPP meetings, etc. That hasn't been confirmed yet, but definitely not only for the ATLAS, so we need to think out of the ATLAS box. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Gisella. But we're not going to change. We're still the user perspective for everything. That's valid for ALAC and valid for At-Large.

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: But Holly hates the term user. It is used too much. At-Large, the users voice. Right.

Ladies and gentlemen, we are reaching the end of the second hour of this call, but I would – sorry, the – yeah, the end of the second hour. What I would suggest that we think and have 24 hours. Write your

thoughts – anything that comes to your mind – onto the ALT list, and we will have something in the next 24 hours. And, obviously, we'll feel a lot better when we've got that, so please follow up on this.

Next in our agenda – and now I have to find the agenda again because that's probably gone way down the drain – right, we have another challenging part: the questions for the various meetings.

We've got the At-Large London ICANN Board questions workspace. Evan had some suggestions earlier. Any thoughts about Evan's suggestions? None? Okay.

Then the GAC questions we've already dealt with. The London Global Stakeholder Engagement questions (GSE questions) We can fill those in. These are not to be filled in immediately.

The topics for the public forum workspace, we haven't even been asked yet about those topics. So we can put these for next week.

But the Board questions workspace as well, please follow-up by e-mail on this. I think we do need to move forward on that. I really apologize, but we're running very late.

Finally, an update on the sponsorship. Let me just give you a quick one. So you've heard that PIR is sponsoring a lunch. Afiliis is sponsoring a dinner. Google is going to be providing us with some funding that is unallocated, so we can use it on whatever we want to use it for.

I've had a negative reply from Microsoft because they've already sponsored the ICANN meeting, and upon insisting, they said that they

don't actually tell the organization they sponsor how to use the money, so it really is up to ICANN what they would do with the money itself.

There is no follow-up from Facebook, unfortunately. Still no follow-up from Verisign either, although I have tried to follow up a number of times. A bit disappointing, unfortunately, for the time being. That's what we have for sponsors. Have I missed any sponsors? No I think that's all there is at the moment.

I've contacted EURid as well and contacted a couple other organizations, and there isn't very much of a positive reply on that. I realize it is very late now to contact new organizations, but we are in the clear for most of our activities.

The showcase might still need a little more cash input, and I might go back to Google to ask for this. There is one fun thing from Google. Vint Cerf has sent in a video to greet us all.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Fabulous.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: So it's fabulous. We'll have a little three-minute note from Vint, and we'll be able to show during the – of course, it's not the showcase now. It's the Fayre of Opportunities.

Next, I believe the sixth, suggestions for the ALAC meeting. Gisella, your hand is still up. I'm not sure whether you want to put it down or you wish to speak. It's down. Okay, thank you.

Suggestions for the next ALAC meeting. Two things. First the formation of an Ad Hoc Duration Working Group, and also the issue of ALS decertifications. Is there anything else that you'd like to put in the next ALAC meeting on 27 May? None for the time being. If you do wish to add something to the agenda, please e-mail the ALT list, and staff will add the item on the agenda of the ALAC call.

Finally, any other business? Alan Greenberg, you mentioned you had something to discuss on any other business.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I do. I just wanted to point out the Ethos Awards, which we made a very strong comment on, the nomination period closes in three days. I presume we're not going to do anything, but at the very least, we need to send out widespread reminders that it closes in three days.

I know, for instance, at NARALO there was a brief discussion, but I don't think they came to any closure. I think they've forgotten that there's a deadline. That may well be true with other people, too.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much for reminding us of this. Absolutely very important: the Ethos Award.

Now, I have received, in parallel with all this, I've received an e-mail from David Olive asking for the ALAC to provide a volunteer to sit on the awards committee to make the choices among all the suggestions that were there.

Knowing that you're all very busy doing things, I didn't want to send another call for volunteers and, yes, confuse people even more. I said that I would step in and will attend there for, I think it's three conference calls that will take place, to look at the list of people that are given and make a choice among the list of people.

I think that the majority of requests – and I have not been added to the list yet, by the way – but the majority of requests so far or of nominations so far have been individuals having discussed with other SO and AC chairs, there would be very little time for everyone to do any kind of coordination into actually nominating people.

When you look at the award itself, I have a few suggestions actually myself with regards to whom to suggest on this. There are a handful of individuals in ICANN that have been involved in many, many different parts of ICANN. If you do think of someone in or around your vicinity that might fit the bill, then please send an e-mail to the e-mail address which is provided on the website for the Ethos Award.

ALAN GREENBERG: Given what you just said, the reminder should be explicit that nominations can come from individuals, not just parts of ICANN.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, okay. Correct. Yeah, that's a good point. Can we ask...

ALAN GREENBERG: We only have two days or so left though.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah. Another action item for staff then: to resend the Ethos Award message, just with a little preamble that the nomination should be sent directly to the committee, the Ethos. I think it's called EthosAward@ICANN.org.

Okay, thank you. Any other other business?

ALAN GREENBERG: See you all on the webinar tomorrow.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes. So no other business? Well, thanks to all of you. It's been two hours. It has gone so fast. It felt like a few minutes, but I think we've actually done a lot today, so I thank you all for this, and good morning, good afternoon, good evening, and thanks to our staff, and good night.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]