
TERRI AGNEW: Good morning, good afternoon and good evening. Welcome to the At-Large Summit II Public Relations Sub-Group, on Thursday, 8th of May 2014 at 18:00 UTC. On the call today we have Murray McKercher, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Eduardo Diaz, Jim Trengrove, Jason Francis, and Dev Anand Teelucksingh. We have an apology from Tijani Ben Jemaa.

From staff we have Carlos Reyes, Ariel Liang, Silvia Vivanco, Susie Johnson, Gisella Gruber, and Heidi Ullrich will be joining us in approximately 30 minutes, and myself, Terri Agnew. I'd like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much, and over to you, Murray.

MURRAY MCKERCHER: Thank you very much Terri. I don't have a great deal of introductory remarks. I think we all know why we're here, so we should probably just delve into the AIs. Unless anyone has something specific they want to state at the beginning, I think we should just head over to those AIs. If you could help me with that, Terri, that would be appreciated. I don't hear anything from anyone, so why don't we just run through these. Are they up in the viewing screen?

We'll go through those one at a time. I think everyone had a chance to see those PR videos. I saw a lot of chat back and forth in emails, and everything looks good. Are there any points on the PR videos at this point? Dev?

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. Are the videos available on YouTube, or in a form ready for public sharing?

MURRAY MCKERCHER: My understanding was they were... I saw them connected to the ICANN Wiki. I don't have an answer to that. Eduardo has his hand up. He may have some additional information on that, or anyone else that can speak to that. So if you'll just hang on, I'll pass it over to Eduardo. Go ahead.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you Murray. I think that you do [put some 02:30] other kind of service. Glenn put them in there. If we're talking about the interviews, the short ones, that were made in different languages? The question I have, Murray, is do we know when these short videos are going to be published, or sent around? Do we have an idea?

MURRAY MCKERCHER: I do not have an idea at this point. Perhaps when Heidi joins us a little later on, she may have some information, or I'm not sure if Terri or Carlos has anything, from staff perspective?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, thank you.

MURRAY MCKERCHER: So the short answer is no, I don't know, but let's take a note to find out the answer to that question. If Heidi joins us later we can deal with that. The second note is the ribbon that we discussed was approved, and the lanyard was approved, and I suspect that those are going ahead to be produced, so I don't think there's any discussion there, unless anyone has a question on ribbons or lanyards?

Okay, next would be the pop-up banners. I think we all agreed last time those were great to have and could be re-purposed afterwards for other events. The lapel pins – staff to design a couple of pins for the Fayre and the Mentoring Program and show to the relevant working groups. Does staff have anything to add for that? Thank you Eduardo for posting the link in the chat to the promotional videos. Olivier, your hand's up. Go ahead please.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Murray. Just regarding the speakers, I have discussed this with Heidi and there has been a quote found as to what the cost of these are. I've found another website that does this cheaper, and there are various qualities of speakers. There are better ones and ones not as good, and they do vary quite greatly in price. Ideally, it would be good to find a sponsor that would be able to fix their name onto that and basically have it as a freebie.

So far we don't have a sponsor for them, so it's definitely that we'd have to take into account, as far as the budget is concerned. They are significantly more expensive than other bits of... We have 160 that we

need to get, and they're significantly more expensive than other promotional material, like ribbons and things like that.

MURRAY MCKERCHER: Very good Olivier. I guess my opinion is that they're "nice to have" and not necessarily "have to have". I tend to collect bits and pieces from items that remind me of things. So we'll continue to see if we can't reach out for sponsorships. For me it's certainly a "nice to have". Now, I did notice Eduardo was to speak to the Chairs of the FAyre Working Group and the At-Large Mentoring Program.. Sorry we've covered that. Sorry. Next, staff to look at the costs. Done.

The speakers, as in a person speaker, I'd made a suggestion about Sir Richard Branson and had made some contacts in the UK. That doesn't look likely that we would get Sir Richard at this late date. I've not heard anything from anyone else in regard to speakers, although I do have a suggestion for a UK speaker that I spoke to today. Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much Murray. Did you say you got in touch with people who knew Richard Branson, or did you not?

MURRAY MCKERCHER: I reached out to some consulate contacts I have in the UK, and it just didn't look particularly useful from that perspective, unless someone else has a close contact, I think we might look somewhere else.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I'm not sure whether you want an update here, or you want the update later on during the call during section six of this call?

MURRAY MCKERCHER: I think we should go ahead and do it right now. That's fine Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks. Now, I've been discussing this with contacts. I'm currently in London and I met a number of people and I asked about Richard Branson. He's known as Dr. Yes, and I hope he would be saying yes. He's extremely active on Twitter. One of the ways in which some people in the past have managed to get hold of him, is by contacting him through Twitter. I'm also due to receive the details of one of his PR agencies that works for him, later on today. By tonight I should have details to be able to get hold of him, one way or another.

That said, you are absolutely correct that we are only a month away now, a month and a few days, 43 days, from the time. bearing in mind this is a very busy person, it looks very difficult to be able to have him. On Lawrence Lessig, I don't know Larry Lessig personally. I've met him a couple of times but I've not got the kind of relationship with him where he'd be responding directly, positively. I thought someone else was meant to go and ask Larry Lessig, someone that has regular contacts with him.

Thirdly, with Louis Pouzin, he was at Net Mundial and the discussion that I had with Louis Pouzin, I don't think he would be someone that would be stimulating for our community, especially for the fact that he doesn't like ICANN, I don't think we'll ever see him in an ICANN meeting. He's under the... His point of view is that there should be multiple routes, not just one route, and that's the exact opposite of what ICANN is advocating. So it think that's highly unlikely.

There was supposed to be a shortlist with more people listed on that. I haven't seen anyone add any names to this. I'm ready to contact a lot of people. One thing I will do is ask Vint Cerf to send us a short, one-minute video just acknowledging the At-Large Summit and thanking all the participants for being there and apologizing for not being there himself. If you have any other names, across all of At-Large we might have either direct contact, or know them via a third party. Thank you.

MURRAY MCKERCHER:

Thank you Olivier. Eduardo, I notice your hand is up. Just one moment if you could. I posted another possible suggestion, which was Martha Lane Fox, and put a link in the chat about her. That was a suggestion I got from the UK as someone who we might reach out to. Olivier, you may know her, being in the UK, and could comment on that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Yes, thank you. Martha Fox, absolutely, she would be fine. I don't know her personally, but I know people who know her personally and are able to find out from her if she would be able to attend. From prior

attempts, she is a very busy person as well, and it's hit and miss whether we'd be able to have her there as well. There's also another solution brought forward. Another suggestion is the new Junior Minister for IT for France. Her name is [Acele lemer 11:32] and she is actually based in London, so she would be able to speak to us.

Again, the question is, what do we want in a keynote speaker? Are we looking at someone that everyone knows? Are we looking at somebody who's going to [inaudible 11:45] our community? This sort of thing.

MURRAY MCKERCHER:

Very good. Thank you Olivier. I notice some chat from Wolf. I did post that. My understanding was that Martha Lane Fox was a very good speaker, from the feedback that I had from my folks in the UK. As far as relevance to the Internet, she was one of the earlier successful commercial users of the Internet, and has a very large social conscience as it relates to that. Olivier might be able to explain more, but I think we should certainly look at her. Eduardo?

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you Murray. I just wanted to mention that in the last OC call, Olivier, you noticed a woman that presented in Net Mundial, that was super excellent in her delivery and message. Is that someone we can consider as a keynote speaker?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Eduardo, and thank you for reminding me of this. I was just writing an email to her just now. I've circulated on the ATLAS II OC some text I'd like to send to this lady. At that point, if I get that by tomorrow then I can email that lady tomorrow. I've already emailed her, so she's waiting for that email to find out more about what the At-Large Summit is. She looks like one of the better hopefuls on this. At Net Mundial I also spoke to Tim Berners-Lee.

He, as far as speaking to our community is concerned, would probably be less of a motivational speaker than this lady, [Nena 13:47], who really absolutely motivated everyone at Net Mundial. If we want someone to make a difference she really is the person to go for. Tim Berners-Lee advised me that he won't be in the UK at that time, so he's unable to be there. What we could ask for from Tim Berners-Lee could be a little video message, perhaps? Thank you.

MURRAY MCKERCHER: Thank you Olivier. Jim?

JIM TRENGROVE: Hello everyone. I'm with Comms here at ICANN. I had asked our team with Edelman Communications in London, who we've been working with, to give some thought to some names. I contacted them last week. They were going to get back to me today. I haven't heard from them. I do know that Andrew, who I worked with at Edelman, has had some communications with Richard Branson in the past, so we could exercise

that angle and hopefully they'll come up with a list of some other names.

I'm going to send you all one suggestion here. Somebody you probably haven't heard of. His name is Nicco Mele. He's at Harvard, and he's written a book called "The End of Big", how the Internet makes David the new Goliath. It's quite interesting how the little guy and the small organizations can really compete now, thanks to the Internet. He's a fabulous speaker. I've sent you a link to a presentation that he made, that I was at last September.

So I've contacted his person to see if he might be available. They seemed interested. I didn't know what his schedule would look like. He had questions about airfare, and is there an honorarium. I said I'd get all those questions answered. The nice thing about it is he teaches a course at the Kennedy School on ICANN, which is interesting. He is a fabulous speaker. His parents were Foreign Service, so he's lived in Asia and Africa. He's got a pretty good global perspective, I think. That might be a possibility as well. I'll explore that and get back to you.

MURRAY MCKERCHER:

Thank you very much. I was just going to put another suggestion in the chat here from me. A gentleman by the name of Desh Deshpande, who I had a far side chat with in Boston last week. He heads up a large – you can Google him – foundation, quite successful. He's been around for some time. He also has a balance between social needs of the Internet and the corporate needs. He was an excellent speaker and a great far

side chat person. I could reach back to Desh as well. We might add him to the list.

Thank you Jim. You can put your hand down if you're finished. Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thank you very much Murray. Taking each person in turn, with regards to Nicco Mele, I've not heard of him but I've just had a quick glance at the video and he certainly seems to be someone who can speak very well and is quite a good motivational speaker. As far as transport and hotel room are concerned, we're really trying to work out with regard to our overall budget whether we can spare a little bit here and there, so as to be able to fly a good speaker over.

That's one thing. I'm looking for more sponsors at the moment so that we can cover those things. That's an unrelated item. Certainly if we can, we would be flying them over, if we need to fly them over. I'm hoping we can get some money for this. Mark Rotenberg from the EFF, I've written in the chat. He was on the ALAC. He resigned from the ALAC, but he certainly would be an interesting speaker. I don't know if he'd be interested in coming down to London for this. Desh, currently I don't know about him, but yes, bring the names in and point out some video or something with those people and what topics they'd be speaking on.

The day and time for the speaker would be on the Monday afternoon. I figure it's from 6:00 pm until 8:00 pm. The speech is only about five or ten minutes, or 10, 15 minutes maximum. It's all to do with the

showcase basically. It's the At-Large Fayre, what used to be called the showcase. It's Monday afternoon, 6:00 pm until 8:00 pm.

MURRAY MCKERCHER: Thank you Olivier. Wolf?

WOLF LUDWIG: I think if we do not really get some of the top guys, those we originally wanted to have, after this top level there may be tons of other speakers. Then, in my opinion, I think it's getting difficult, but important, to get some criteria in mind for what type of a speaker we want. I think a speaker for the At-Large community should clearly stand and represent some of our basic principles of the community. Therefore I suggested someone like Mark Rotenburg. I'm aware that he resigned from ALAC because he was completely overloaded with work, etcetera.

[inaudible 20:57] may have him in a sort of bad memory, but for the principles of this organization, and he stands for I think some of our core values. The speaker for an ATLAS II audience should have some links to our core values, otherwise we can invite anybody who has thought up and drawn up an interesting business model, etcetera, but this isn't part of our core principles. Thanks.

MURRAY MCKERCHER: Thank you very much Wolf. To that point – I'm not defending any of my suggestions – but I know that Desh – and I put up a YouTube there – has a very interesting strategy between commercialization and social

enterprise, and is socially responsible and has done quite a lot entrepreneurial activities, some of which are in India for feeding children and creating a commercial, and socially acceptable enterprise that's actually funded by the Government and any number of things.

So he has some interesting stories, and I'm sure there are others, but I would ask if anyone wants to volunteer or take the list and do a shortlist of who we'd prefer to be there and knock them off quickly... I don't know, I don't want to ask... Could Jim Trengrove take that on? I don't know. Does anyone else have a comment or care to volunteer for that activity?

JIM TRENGROVE:

Sorry, what are you volunteering me for?

MURRAY MCKERCHER:

Sorry Jim, we're just having a discussion as to we have a number of potential speakers. They should all align with the messages that we want to deliver to our audience, obviously, and also enunciate the values that we are trying to communicate to our folks as well as our position. We need someone to go through a quick list. I don't know whether it's a Committee or Sub-Committee – I hope not – but perhaps we can have some kind of ongoing chat. Obviously time is very short and someone needs to take the lead. I'm just wondering whether Jim or Olivier have any comments on that?

JIM TRENGROVE: I'd be happy to work with Heidi on trying to draw up a list of criteria for that. That would be fine.

MURRAY MCKERCHER: I think you guys have a lot of experience in that way. Olivier, do you have any comments? I know people have more experience in this than myself from the first ATLAS.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Not at the moment, thank you.

MURRAY MCKERCHER: Okay, thank you very much. Let me see where we are in the Agenda for a second. Carlos was to develop the ATLAS II certificate. I believe that came out this morning. Carlos, do you have any... I see something to be shared. Perhaps you can speak to that Item?

CARLOS REYES: Thanks Murray. Yes, after our last call I developed a template, and I've uploaded it here. I know we shared it this morning with a few of the members of this group. It's on the screen now. If anyone has feedback I'll take that now and we can incorporate it as we prepare for the Summit in London.

MURRAY MCKERCHER: Can everybody have a look at that for a few minutes and raise your hand if you have any comments? Or feel free to chime right in. I think it looks great. We're going to have signatures by all those folks on there as well.

CARLOS REYES: Well, I don't know whether we can coordinate 150 plus signatures from these folks, but I think we could figure something out, either in London or beforehand, but we will have signatures of some sort.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, that's happened in the past. I know Fadi's done that before, but Eduardo, get your hand ready to sign 160 times.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I can do that. No problem.

MURRAY MCKERCHER: All right, very good. Well, I think it looks excellent and it's always nice to have those takeaways, so I would consider that, unless there are any objections, that we go ahead and have those created. Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I have two questions for Carlos. Did you try using a long ALS name to try and see if it fits in there, or if it makes an absolute mess of the whole thing? Some of the ALSes do have a very long name. The other thing is, is this using a character set that actually accepts some of the more

exotic letters, which some of our members have? I'm looking at the accents, for example. I can see that further down the character set does accept accents, but sometimes they don't, when you've got an automatic mail-merge-type thing, and you've got weird characters that [inaudible 27:12].

I'm thinking of the ICANN badge for example, being one of them.

CARLOS REYES:

Thanks. Very good question. This I believe is Helvetica, which is a fairly receptive font when it comes to accents and such. I'll be producing these, so that will ensure some sort of quality control when it comes to the names and the various scripts and accents that could appear in ALS participant names. With regards to the actual ALS name, I'll have to take a look at that, but if a name is too long for that particular line we could always rework the text for that particular certificate. Alternatively, some of the ALSes with very long names also have acronyms, so not ideal, but I think that's a good compromise.

MURRAY MCKERCHER:

Good. Thank you. I notice Jim has his hand up. Go ahead.

JIM TRENGROVE:

One option would be to take the ALS name and put it directly underneath the first name/last name and make it a slightly smaller font size than the first name/last name. That way you've got that space underneath and you can probably go as long as the ALS name would be.

Then just pick up with “At-Large Summit II” or pick up with “for participating in At-Large Summit II” and keep that whole little section intact.

MURRAY MCKERCHER: Very good comments. Thank you Jim. I notice Eduardo agrees and Olivier agrees. Any other comments on this Item? Do we have a specific AI to deal with this? I suggest we proceed. Thank you Carlos. If we could have the Agenda slide back up? Thank you. I think we’ve covered everything in the last, so I’d like to move onto Item #4, which is just any progress or issues that Eduardo had to deal with. Eduardo, any comments? I know I threw that at you without giving you any warning, but this is a general spot for any issues. If not, we’ll move forward to thematic groups.

EDUARDO DIAZ: No problem Murray. I just wanted to make a couple of comments from the PR part and the things we’re doing. The newsletter is almost ready to go out, and that can [get signed 30:33]. There was an issue with translations. I don’t know if you know the translations were done by groups within the Communications Group, volunteers, and I just read this morning the Spanish part, and for the overall thing it’s okay, but there are parts that... Translations are translations, but the meaning of the words, the way they were put, they gave a different meaning.

So I asked Heidi to see if Language Services can go and polish them somehow, because this is a document that’s going to go out to

everyone, and we just wanted to make it as good as we can. On the webpage there is a conference call this afternoon with the person that worked on that in the Communications Group. There's going to be a call between ICANN IT and staff, and this person, to get that moving. The rest, there is a final draft in place for the whole event, with the themes and this and that.

I know there's been a lot of traffic in the emails about the abstracts and things like that. I believe there is a survey going out to everyone with the final themes and abstracts, for people to decide where they want to go. Other than that I think things are moving along. Thank you.

MURRAY MCKERCHER:

Thank you very much Eduardo. I know you're across a lot of things, and it's good to have that perspective. Perhaps we could move along to the thematic discussion. Olivier and I have been back and forth on the one that we were responsible for, and I had posted various things earlier today. I'm not sure if everyone's had a chance to see that, but I believe Wolf is overseeing some of that activity. Wolf, can you comment on that?

WOLF LUDWIG:

Yes. Well, in fact, I was trying to push all of the SMEs to get abstracts, and some of the key questions together. As far as I can see, with the last input from thematic group five, from Olivier and you, Murray, I think this is complete. All the inputs were sent and confirmed. They now need to be updated on the workspace. Based on this input, I think Carlos can

continue with preparing the next pre-survey, asking ATLAS II participants to indicate their preferred topics and thematic group they'd like to join on the spot in London.

This is completed from my side. What's still open in this respect is there has been shortlists for session moderators and rapporteurs, for each of the sessions. This still needs to be completed for the next phase, I hope, but as there was no response on my suggestion, I will send a reminder in the next two days on this. I'll send a summary on the input, and also the questions I recall from the last Event Working Group call where some people were not really clear whether the SMEs are automatically the only key speakers in one of the five sessions.

Or, whether the SMEs, as input and resource persons who prepared the sessions, can also invite one or two more knowledgeable people on their subject, as co-resource persons, etcetera. I think the latter should be the case. We need final clarification on this point as soon as possible. Thanks. That's all from my side.

MURRAY MCKERCHER: Thank you very much Wolf. Is there a specific AI that we need to record in regards to this?

WOLF LUDWIG: Well, as I said, Wolf to follow up on session moderators and rapporteurs, and sort out about additional resource persons. That's all.

MURRAY MCKERCHER: Very good. Thank you Wolf. I know everyone's busy, and I appreciate all the work everyone's putting towards our meeting. I believe unless there's any other discussion on this point, we've also talked about keynote speakers and promotional videos, which were on the Agenda. Is there any other business? Eduardo, you have your hand up. Go ahead please?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Sorry, I forgot to put it down.

MURRAY MCKERCHER: Okay, I'm all over the place on my screen here. Dev, you have your hand up and there was some discussion about the newsletter? Go ahead.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes, thank you. It relates to the promotional videos. I would like to include those promotional videos in the newsletter, however, they're not in a format ready to be, I think, to be shared. They're actually just raw [.rov37:12] files. Who exactly is going to be editing the videos to put that on YouTube? Because that's not clear to me and I don't want to leave it lagging.

MURRAY MCKERCHER: That's a very good point. I seem to think the expert person of our general group, Glenn has been doing a lot of that, although he's not on

the call. Perhaps Eduardo, would you have any suggestions how we could move forward on that?

EDUARDO DIAZ: For what Dev is saying now, I'm not sure if Glenn did. I have a feeling that Glenn did, and since Olivier was, or is, one that was interviewed, Olivier, do you remember who took that video?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thank you very much. I don't really know. I thought it was Glenn McKnight who was arranging some of these things, because he was around. It looked to me like it was staff that was dealing with this. Maybe Jim knows?

JIM TRENGROVE: Yes, Glenn had recorded the videos. I edited them and I uploaded them all to a Dropbox and sent the link to Heidi. They're either still there or they've been taken off. I think they're ready for posting. They're fairly short, so they're ready to go. I'm not sure if all of them have been posted to the YouTube yet. If they have, or whichever ones have been, obviously you can just take the link and post that either with the link or through a hyperlink. But I'll have to hear from Heidi on what happened after I uploaded them.

MURRAY MCKERCHER: Okay, thank you Jim. Dev, you have a question?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes, well, I think the videos, as cut, are good. I think what has to happen is you have to put the appropriate titles as to who is speaking and where they're from in the video. I see Glenn has made comments on the videos, on that Wiki page that Eduardo posted earlier. That's why I'm not sure who's doing it. the way Glenn phrased it, it didn't sound like he was the one doing it.

MURRAY MCKERCHER: Okay, thank you. Jim?

JIM TRENGROVE: Yes, I'll talk to Heidi. I can always add the names to the videos. I'll just coordinate with her to get that done.

MURRAY MCKERCHER: Terrific, thank you very much. if we need to share the link – I'm not sure about the Dropbox – but once these are encoded and put under some – I'm not sure under whose banner the YouTube channel will be – I don't know if that's important or not, but as we go forward... Or whether there's something official from ICANN's perspective, or, Olivier, from At-Large's perspective as it relates to getting video content out to the planet... Do we have a strategy as it relates to that specifically?

Dev, I noticed your comments that YouTube is probably a better choice. It's more universal than other platforms. Any comments from anyone

on that? I'm happy to take this on a little bit more specifically, as I have some expertise in this area. Go ahead Jim.

JIM TRENGROVE:

I was going to say that once the videos are posted, or there's a link to them, we can use social media to promote them as well. Just put hyperlinks in, either through Facebook or Twitter.

MURRAY MCKERCHER:

Okay, very good. Well, I'm happy to take on the logistics on that. I'll follow up with Dev, and Glenn, and Jim, I'll loop you into that conversation. If we can just add that as an AI. Thank you very much Silvia. At this point, we are ten minutes to go. Are there any other pressing items? I have nothing else on my list. I'll give everyone a minute to think about that. Raise your hand if you have any other business.

Okay, I see no hands raised or issues. Unless there's anything else I suggest we organize for our next meeting. Perhaps two weeks from now? Otherwise, I would suggest we adjourn the meeting. Eduardo, you agree with that? Very good! I think everyone's busy. Next meeting is two weeks from now. Thank you very much for all of your participation and hard work. I look forward to seeing everyone in London.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]