
OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening everybody. This is the ALAC Leadership Team ALT, mid-month conference call, on Thursday the 17th of April, 2014. The time is 19:03 UTC. Gisella, would you please do the roll call.

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes, Gisella here. Thank you Olivier. On today's call, we have Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Holly Raiche, Hurray McKercher, Evan Leibovitch, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Maureen Hilyard, Alan Greenberg, Julie Hammer.

No apologies noted. And from staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Ariel Liang, Terri Agnew, and myself, Gisella Gruber. If I could also please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes.

And to just to point out that Dev is on his way in, he hasn't actually physically joined us. Thank you. Over to you Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Gisella. Have we missed anyone on the call, in the roll call so far? I don't hear anyone shouting their name out. I have noticed a new name in staff, and I just wanted to take a quick minute for the introduction of Terri Agnew. Heidi, will you please make the introductions.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, Olivier. With pleasure. In fact, I was just writing you that I was just going to introduce her under AOB. So we are reading each other's minds. So, I get to introduce Terri Agnew. She is new for At Large. She will be sharing, we're sharing her with the GNSO, 50/50, and she is Julia Charvolen's replacement. She is based in the mid-West.

And Terri, I'm sorry, I can never remember if it's Indiana, or Iowa, or Ohio. If you just want to give a little bit of background.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Illinois. Illinois.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I can never remember... So, Terri welcome very much, and if you can just give a little of an introduction in terms of your background please.

TERRI AGNEW: Certainty. This is Terri Agnew for transcription purposes. I actually have worked... I came from Verizon and worked in the conference call area for about 14 years. And so I just came over to ICANN. I've lived in Illinois my whole life, and I think it's exciting for ICANN and everything that they're doing so far.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you very much. If I'm correct, Terri you're going to really be supporting the call in the late afternoon my time, so to allow Natalie and Gisella some time off in the evenings, and you're also going to be

doing the whole support in terms of the post call, pre call, during call. Is that correct?

TERRI AGNEW: Correct.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Great. So welcome, very much.

TERRI AGNEW: Thank you. Happy to be here.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay Olivier, thank you very much.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much Heidi and, I keep on forgetting what time you're based in again, what state this was. Just remember, Chicago, Chicago, Chicago. Three times, then you'll get the state right. So, for those people who are following us and who are not from the United States, Chicago is a moderate size town that is quite well known in the US.

So, let's move on and let's get a bit more serious. Let's look at the action items from the 49th meeting, the meeting we just had in Singapore. There was a question as to whether we should go through them or not, and seeing that we're delaying the ALAC call for another week, since next week many of us are going to be over in Brazil, I

thought it would be a good thing just to have a quick catch up on the action items that we had at the time.

And so staff, next week, we'll have a bit more time to be able to follow up and chase up any action items that community members, or we haven't done, or that they haven't done, and that still remains to be done. So looking quickly, the first thing, the ALAC and regional leadership workshop.

Staff is to follow up... No, sorry. First, the ATLAS II, Carlos Reyes is to send all At Large lists an announcement on the ATLAS II working groups and to add Wolf Ludwig to the public relations working group. Carlos isn't here, does anyone know, though, if this has been done?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Hi Olivier. This is Heidi. I'm just checking with Carlos right now, but I believe it has. If he has not, then I will get back to you in the chat.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: ...I'll go ahead and confirm if he has...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks Heidi. Next, the discussion with the communications team. And staff is to follow up with Chris Gift on the ICANN Academy tab on ICANN.org.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm going to just check, I think it was just basically for the ICANN news, and I know that he did agree to that, so I'm just taking a look now. And if not, I will follow up again on that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you. We'll not go through the list of ICANN [?] has been done, we'll move directly to the discussion with Maguy Serad, contractual compliance staff to send the report drafted by Garth on enforcement of UDRP proceeding and UDRP compliance related to decisions by ICANN compliance, and Alan's presentation also.

Any follow up on that? Has this all been sent to Maguy and her team?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm going to double check my sent files. I think I have, but I'm just going to double check, because it's not ticked, so I want to confirm, and I'll let you know.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Oh, and there is one for you Heidi, to forward Garth's email regarding compliance to ALAC.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. This is Heidi. Is this the same email then?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I have no clue. And this is why I wanted to review these things, because the more time passes, the more Singapore becomes a stated memory. Does anyone on the call remember what this is related to? Alan Greenberg.

ALAN GREENBERG: It may have been the one he sent with the spreadsheet listing 1,000 domains that use that illegal email address. By the way, the registrar has started to rectify the problem by changing the email address and changing the bad French address to a Russian address that we don't know if it's right or not.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Good. So Alan, it's Olivier speaking, are you basically saying that they're listening to our calls? Listening to our meetings...

ALAN GREENBERG: No, no. This was the domain that I submitted a particular one. They fixed the problem by disabling the domain and then as soon as ICANN compliance stopped watching, they made the domain live again. And compliance zapped them for that, that was discussed at the Singapore meeting. And they have since rectified the problem by changing the contact information to something which is presumably more legal than the previous one was.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you Alan. In Russia, got to be even harder to try and get this...

ALAN GREENBERG: Actually, Google claims the address does exist. I didn't check the full number. The email address is a valid domain. So they appear to have started to fix the problem.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. So Heidi, back to you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. So I'm looking at the emails, and on the 23rd of March, Garth sent a note to, additional compliance materials and Silvia forwarded it on to Maguy. And then Owen replied to this, and Garth replies and says, "I'm going to resubmit the files on other places." And talking about bulk submissions.

So I'm going to forward this to you Olivier and see if this is basically completing that action item, okay?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Hello Heidi, this is Silvia. I am not looking at the email at the moment, but I do recall that I send the document and then Maguy responded that they should be sent through certain formal procedures that compliance has placed. So she explained they should be sent, so that's how that was completed.

Because Garth knows now how to properly...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Do the follow up, yeah. So in the meantime, this is Heidi again, we sent it on to Owen. So I think it has been taken care of. But Olivier, I'm going to send it to you, just so you can take a look.

ALAN GREENBERG: It's Alan speaking. The tone of the responses was not really in line with the discussion we had, but may have been technically correct.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you very much Alan. Rather than sending to me, just copy Garth on this, because obviously that's something... These are two action items that deal with compliance and that have Garth included in there, and he probably remembers better than me or indeed anyone else on this call, on that.

We need to call some closure and clarity and see what is forward. I must add that I did have a very, well I basically just bumped into Maguy later on in the week, and she told me that a process was underway to put together some kind of panel, that was going to include Garth on the panel and that would be an internal compliance panel on something related with compliance.

And I'm afraid this would go just between two busses, and very quick. So, it would be good to be able to shed some light on this, at least have a follow up on that. So we just don't need to compliance at every

ICANN meeting, and then perhaps be nothing in between the two. That's good. Let's move on.

So with the next, which is meeting with the SSAC with Patrik Fälström and Jim Galvin. ALAC, through the SSAC liaison, is to provide input and support to the new initiative being undertaken by ICANN SSAC staff and ICANN communication staff, to better communicate security and stability issues, including relevant SSAC reports, to a broad audience, including end users. And Julie Hammer will own this action item.

Julie, you, oh, I don't see Julie on the call. Are you on the call. [CROSSTALK]...

JULIE HAMMER: Can you hear me?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Welcome. Yes I can certainly hear you, we can hear you. You have the floor.

JULIE HAMMER: Thank you Olivier. I [?] is the SSAC staff member who is going to be pressing this. I don't believe anything has happened as yet, but I will talk to Steve about it before our next call. He's been a bit snowed under with quite a lot of SSAC activity in the last few weeks in Singapore, so I haven't wanted to harass him too much on this one.

It's a very long term action item. I think this one, and I will certainly talk to him before our next call, and get an update on progress on this one. So at this stage, nothing to report.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Julie. Do you think we should just keep this open then so as to remind us on the next call?

JULIE HAMMER: Yes, I think we should, yes. Thanks.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks. So we'll do that. Let's go to the Monday, Monday the 24th of March. And the GAC leadership meeting, oh I see Alan has put his hand up. I'm sorry about that Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: I don't remember when I put it up, but it doesn't need to be up now.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. I apologize for not having seen you earlier.

ALAN GREENBERG: I can't remember putting it up, so I'm not sure what happened.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: These things happen to all of us. So, the ALT meeting with the GAC leadership, GAC leadership to send the questions that they are going to send to the Board to Olivier. And that's been done, by the way, so that can be marked as done. Complete. We had the questions which were then shared with all of the ALAC.

Or at least the ALAC leadership team, and of course, these are the questions then came up into the GAC, the overall GAC advisory, the GAC advice that they provided, and I think that was pretty good results that we ended up with there. Next, the 25th of March meeting.

The meeting with the Board. Fadi Chehadé committed that by ICANN 50, ICANN will public a complete doc describing how ICANN will enforce the PICs. Okay. Has this been shared with the [?] three things which are those. So I'll go through all three of them, and then I'll give the floor to Heidi.

Fadi Chehadé is to follow up on a webinar and a beginner's guide on the IANA function and the IANA transition, in English and in French. And Fadi Chehadé is to request a short course on IANA to be prepared on ICANN Learn. And so Heidi, you have the floor.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you Olivier. Yes, I have forwarded those action items to his executive support staff, as well as Board support, and I'm waiting to hear back from them on the progress of these action items.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you very much Heidi. Alan Greenberg is next.

ALAN GREENBERG: On the first one, he said the meeting in London, and I wasn't really expecting anything prior to the meeting in London. Nice to see it earlier, but I wasn't expecting it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you Alan. Let's move on. Then the At Large new gTLD working group. where Heidi is to send a call for membership for the new gTLD working group. Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, I will do that this week. Apologies for the delay.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you. Next, the ALT and RALO officers working breakfast. And here there is one remaining action item. At Large staff and Alan Greenberg are to review the rules associated with the mailing lists. A-ha, the famous mailing lists. Now, there is just one thing, Dev Anand Teelucksingh has prepared a wiki page, which – where he lists some of the mailing lists.

I think this is part of the ATLAS II work and preparation to make our wiki as helpful as possible for our ALSs, or for future active ALSs. I'll pass the floor over to Alan Greenberg on this. Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. When I looked at that wiki page last, and I haven't looked at it today so it may have changed, it's a subset and a super set of the adjunct document, or the mailing list document that is referred to in the rules of procedure. It's a super set in that it includes working group mailing lists.

It's a subset in that it doesn't include all the detailed rules. And it's the detailed rules on the main list that we're looking at, and that has not been done yet, and will not be done until after Brazil.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Okay. Thank you. So I'm going to leave that in your hands then, and please liaise with Dev as well on that, because as Dev has put the link, At Large mailing lists links in the chat, that will certainly help. But I have also to note that several additional people have been registered onto the ALAC Announce mailing list.

Silvia added them, or [?] members with Silvia, or someone, Ariel maybe, added them. A number of emails have bounced because people have changed email addresses, etc. All of these things are in hand right now. Staff has been very diligent with those, making sure that the email addresses are updated, or that they remove, or find the new email address of someone when they get to top the lists because of bouncing emails and so on.

Heidi, your hand is still up. Is that a new hand?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Sorry. I might just leave it up for the next one...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: My hand...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: In the meantime, over to Alan Greenberg.

ALAN GREENBERG: Just for clarity, what the next steps are, I will do a review of the mailing list who is subscribed to which ones, and then I think Ariel and I will be coming back to this group to make some decisions on what we should we have the rules. If you recall from the last time I did this, the subscription patterns to the mailing list is a complete hodgepodge, and as a result, to try to cover everyone, we send mailings out to multiple lists.

And that maybe an inevitable thing that we have to do, but we'll try to come up with some rationale rules, but it will come to this list, to this group, before any actual action is taken. Other than clean ups, which we may find along the way.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Perfect. Fantastic. Let's move on then. Next we have the ATLAS II organizing committee meeting. That's – we do have actually also, the

APRALO monthly meeting, I guess, is related to ATLAS II actually. Pavan Budhrami to start collecting local music collection for ATLAS II.

And I have seen I seen the note from Pavan who has asked the different ALSs for the secretariat's list, so different RALOs to supply, I think, 15 tracks from each one of the regions. Then we've got the ATLAS II organizing committee meeting part one. Nancy Lupiano to check into whether the Windsor room can be changed in format on Monday afternoon.

You might not be aware of this, but there was some discussion earlier today in the ATLAS II organizing committee, and there is still a question mark as to whether this can be done or not, although it sounds as if it might be possible. Heidi, has there been any follow up on the call that took place, I'm saying afternoon, it isn't afternoon for all of you, but a bit earlier, a few hours earlier?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

This is Heidi. No, not since then. But I did write to her about this issue, and I'll follow up with her again.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Okay. Thanks. I see the others are working group meetings, and I hope these action items won't be followed as far as the working group meetings are concerned. With regards to the ATLAS II organizing committee meeting part two, I know that... Gisella Gruber to arrange a conference call for the public relations working group for the week of 7th of April and invite Duncan Burns. Has this taken place?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. So the PR working group call is being planned for this next week, and Duncan has been invited, because he has asked to be invited.
[CROSSTALK]

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. So it is next week, okay. And you might be wondering why I'm going through the ALT on the ATLAS, anything that's ATLAS II related, and that's because this is such a priority now. The ALT should pay very close attention to anything that is ATLAS II related as well. And I rely on all of you, and I know that you're all involved already, but I rely on all of you to make sure we've got our P's and Q's and T's are crossed and I's are dotted, etc. etc. We need to be quite diligent as the process moves forward, and that we have a very successful ATLAS II.

Finally, the ATLAS II thematic development meeting. I can see next call, events group. Evan Leibovitch to identify the chairs and rapporteurs for each breakout theme. I think all of that is actually done, if I understand this correctly. Evan, did you manage to identify the chairs and rapporteurs for each breakout?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I need to talk to Wolf about it... Sorry, this is Evan for the record. I need to talk to Wolf about it. I think we basically had those things in mind. Essentially, I prefer not even to use the term chair but to use the term moderator, because the idea behind these thematic groups is to make it more of a workshop than a lecture.

With the subject matter expert being a resource person, as opposed to a stand at the front kind of teacher. So the intention is to have expertise in the room to help drive the conversation, to have a moderator that is not necessarily skilled in the subject matter but is able to keep the room moving and make sure we don't get distracted by people outside of At Large disrupting meetings which we had at ATLAS I, and also the rapporteurs being people like Leon and Alan and myself who are good at pen holding, who will be involved in actually turning the results of these sessions into statements usable in a final communique from the conference.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That's fantastic. Thank you for this update. I see two hands up. I think Tijani Ben Jemaa had put his hand up first and then Heidi Ullrich afterwards. Tijani, you have the floor.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you Olivier. Evan, [?] event working group yesterday or the day before. We met and we discussed the fact that there was a call for attention to be moderator or rapporteur, and I raised the point that perhaps it is not the right way to do it because we had already people who are volunteering, and while not able to do those functions. And we may have people frustrated because they volunteered and they are not chosen as moderator or as a rapporteur.

So I said that perhaps we had to do, as we did for the ATLAS I, that means that we can find people, invite them to be on those groups, and when those groups will choose their moderator, they will volunteer and

they will be chosen because we will be behind them. This is the first point.

The second point, we don't have yet moderators and rapporteurs, but we have some names or ideas, as Evan said, some names that have already proven their skill. And as for the subject matter experts, we already have notified some people, and we have only to replace perhaps [?], who retired from ICANN. But, yeah, yeah.

This is a station now. Our next call will be after NetMundial, and we are following on those points. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Tijani. Next is Heidi Ullrich.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you Olivier. This is Heidi. I put the link into the chat of the ATLAS II thematic group coordination, and if you click on that you'll see that we have some names, as Tijani mentioned, for the [?], for the session moderation, and session reporting. These are all [?]... So the last thing that Wolf and I spoke about was that he intended to, once we have the criteria for all of the positions, so we – a small group who selects who these people are going to be.

All of the [?] criteria are noted. I just on the point of [?], we've removed his name already from the proposed expert for the At Large community engagement in ICANN. That was going to be a joint, or that is a joint SME post with Olivier and Murray, right now, has volunteered to be the other person with that.

The deadline for the moderation and the reporting position is the 21st. So we have a few more days for people to put into that, for those positions. Thank you Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Heidi. Murray is very welcome to join and I'm looking forward to working with him. So, let's go back to the list. And we're nearly done with this. We're now looking at the future challenges working group.

And here again, I notice [?] action items. Staff to organize calls for the events working group. Is that under the wrong header?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No, no. May I speak?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes please, go ahead Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I think Evan can speak also because Evan was the chair of this session. Yes, Evan please, go ahead. You are better than me.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I'm not quite sure what either of you are referring to right now.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, okay. Let me tell you. The future challenge working group decided to discuss the, how to say? The themes of the summit because we didn't have time and Evan and Jean-Jacques agreed that we will continue working on the events working group of the summit. This is because we changed the themes, do you remember? And we had two people now in charge of it.

So, we continue this discussion that we had in the afternoon one day before, we continue it on the future challenge working group. That's why, Olivier, for you, this is not under the right title. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Tijani. So you might need to just put a little note there [?]?... action items again. Heidi, yes?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, sorry. Just really quickly. My memory is jarred. The future challenges working group agenda was changed at the last minute to talk about the thematic events. So I believe that action item is sort of a duplication from the thematic topic meeting that was held also in Singapore.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay thank you. Maybe then we can put the two action items together and make it one. Let's move on. The next thing is the ALAC meeting with the NCSG, three action items for that. An ad hoc group on NTIA topic coordination is to be formed. NCSG members are: Avri Doria, Rudi Vansnick.

ALAC members are Rafid Fatani, and Jean-Jacques Subrenat, Holly Raiche and Fatima Cambronero. I haven't seen any movement on this yet. I wonder whether we should allocate this to someone rather than just leaving it on, and something is to be formed. And I would be suggesting perhaps we get, let's see. Well, Holly. Holly, you have the floor.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Thank you. Holly Raiche for the record. I haven't seen anything about it. I think it's probably due to, I would say, what are we doing here? Because quite frankly, with ATLAS coming up [?] with Brazil, you know, calendar for the next few days. And London coming up, also I think the deadline is to be extended, I think, from May [?]...

I just haven't seen anything about it. I think I better chase this up.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Indeed yes. Holly, you're coming out a little bit [?], but I heard you on that. I'm not sure if everyone on the call managed to hear you. But yes, there certainly hasn't been any movement on this. And since you are one of the people listed on there, perhaps could you shake this up?

Indeed, there is a comment period that was open on the 7th of March, and that was, I think, closing on the 7th of May, which is a small distance from now. We've got a public comment which we will be touching on in a moment, where something needs to be, or might need to be drafted in addition to the statement that we have drafted.

There is also a bigger process, moving forward with the NCI, and I just realized that we're not touching on that during this call today. Maybe have to put that in the any other business at the end of this call. We need to move forward on this with ICANN wishing to put together a coordination group of some sort.

But Holly, if you can check with all of the people listed on there, especially with Avri Dorian and Rudi Vansnick, how we can have this coordination ad hoc group created, then we'll allocate the action item over to you.

HOLLY RAICHE: Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you once the ATLAS agenda is complete, staff is to send a copy to Rafik of the NCSG. Is the ATLAS agenda complete? Heidi, go ahead please.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. This is Heidi for the record. So Tijani and I just talked about that, at least earlier today. And it's basically in decent shape. We're just waiting to hear some final confirmations of meeting times with the Board, the ccNSO, and the GAC, etc. it's in good shape and we're going to post it on the wiki.

So given that, would you like us to send that to the NCSG? [CROSSTALK] ...percent complete. Okay. Thank you very much.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah. And as you do that, since the ALAC is to provide Rafik a list of the ATLAS II organizing committee organizers, to [?] in your email [?] with that. Bearing in mind that Rafik is going to be in Brazil next week, and he's actually part of the Brazil's NetMundial organizing committee as well. So he's probably going to be quite busy.

But if you do send it before Wednesday next week, then I'll be able to speak to him about it, and we might be able to push a few things forward.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. This is Heidi. I'll do that this week. So in terms of that second action item, the ALAC to provide to Rafik a list of ATLAS II OC organizers, that would be you, Eduardo, Tijani, who else?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: The working group chairs.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Murray? Okay. Working group chairs.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Working group chairs and that will be [?] also Fatima and Dev, all of the co-chairs and chairs and so on.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. And Wolf and Evan is the thematic policy coordinators.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That's right as well.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: With the email addresses, of course, please because I don't know if Rafik is aware of all of the people and their email addresses and so on. On to the ALAC leadership team meeting. Wow. This review on action items feels as long as the ICANN week. Olivier to follow up with George Sadowsky with regards to the NomCom review. And I have indeed followed up with him.

George wants to know the names and details all of the ALAC past chairs, since the creation of the ALAC. So I sent this over to him with the email addresses of all of those people. And I think this is just very early work looking at the NomCom review and he's probably likely wish to do further review team, to then contact each one of the ALAC chairs and ask them how they felt the NomCom has catered to the ALAC lead, and for all of the other questions as well. Who knows?

And then staff to check with ATLAS II team leaders to keep track of the number of personnel in their complete team in spending, and it's ATLAS II, not [?] on both sides. I don't understand this action item, could someone please explain this one to me?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Silvia, are you still there? I know you said you were going to step away. This is Heidi. If you can hear that, I think she took that. Otherwise, I'll follow up with her because I was reading it as well and I didn't quite understand that. I sort of it remember being more the hours they've put in, or the hours that we've had on calls, but I'll follow up with her and what exactly that is.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you. Any comments or questions on the action items? I think we spent enough time on that. Let's move to the next thing. Items for discussion, the ALAC policy development activities. And on this, we're not going to go through the recently adopted ALAC statements, but we're going to look at specifically are the statements or endorsements currently being developed by the ALAC.

And we've got a number of them that are here. The PDP on privacy and proxy accreditation issues. It's marked that Alan will draft a statement, and I believe that statement has been put on there. Is that correct? Let's have a look.

ALAN GREENBERG: There is a short statement there. I just put it on last night, so I'm not sure it has garnered any input. I guess Holly... Perhaps Holly and Carlton are the two key members, two working group members, should look at it. My basic feeling is, I don't think it's up to us at this point to

talk about a lot of specifics, other than some general guidelines, which is what I did and garnered that from the comments that I think Holly had made primarily, Holly and somebody.

Sorry, I've lost track. And I had one more thought that I thought [CROSSTALK] should be added, and I'm waiting for comments on that. And that is specifically protection of privacy issues on the UDRP.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. So that's all on the statement that you put in the comment. Let's do the thing as follows, let's have a copy of this and I hope Arial, I hope you're listening, because this is all for you now. Please make a copy of Alan's comment, at the bottom of the page, put it as a first draft submitted, and let's hand the call for comments out to the ALAC, to the wider ALAC.

And what I would need to do is to work out a timing for this, and I'm a little concern that we're a little bit late to this. I don't know what the comment closing date is, on that.

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier, it is already as the first draft submitted. That's already there. There is no formal date on this one, if I remember correctly, because it was all request information from a working group just starting.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. I'll work this out afterwards then and check what the original request was, and we need to respond and ask if we have a bit more time on this, so that we just don't keep it open. Next, the AT Large five year draft statement. That's a tough one because Tijani Ben Jemaa was not able to work on this.

He's very busy at the moment, and so we're still looking for a volunteer to draft a first draft on this. I have sent a note to the finance and budget subcommittee, ask for a volunteer, and nobody has replied. It is in my... I was going to suggest that I would either email... In fact, I would probably email two people directly.

I'd email [?] and I can't remember who was the other person that I was going to email on there. Heidi, do you remember what was the other name? Alan Greenberg has put his hand up.

HEIDI ULLRICH: And Ariel might remember.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Ariel?

ARIEL LIANG: Yes I do remember. Let me check my notes.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay...

ARIEL LIANG: [CROSSTALK] Yes.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Oh, well, there you go. Well Dev, you just heard it. You heard it right here. So you're about to receive an email from me asking whether you would like to pick up the pen on this statement. But I was also going to ask [?] if he was interested in picking up the pen on this. And you could either work on it with [Raf], as you know you'll be able to, I guess, to mentor him on how to draft a statement thing, or either of you could work on it separately. Dev, any thoughts on that?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: This is Dev. Certainly, I can work with [Raf]. And I'll take a lead of the document, and over this weekend.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: You'll say you'll take the lead on this?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yeah. This is Dev. I'll take the lead on this. And I'll work with [Raf], and if you want, you know, collaborate with him, get some feedback from him as well.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Fine. I haven't sent the email yet. I'll send the email after this call. Okay, so then it's all on record. So thank you for this. Let's move to the next one. The interim report on internationalized...

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier, hands up.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Oh, there are quite a few hands up. Okay. Sorry about that, I thought that was an old hand. Alan Greenberg.

ALAN GREENBERG: Just a thought. This strategic plan has been billed as the great new strategic plan in the sky, which will be more useful and more focused and more suited towards our needs than the previous strategic plan. And I would think it is reasonable that the focus of our comment is not very detailed, but essentially critique on, is this going to be an useful process than the ones we've had in the past?

Which many of us have said has not been particularly useful. So I would think that perspective as opposed to a detailed analysis...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Alan. Next is Tijani Ben Jemaa.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much. I agree with Alan, and that's why [?] ...and [?]... seems to be [?] ... cannot make the comment on the subject line [?] of the communities [?] now, we just come. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Tijani. Not able to reflect back on the previous years of the beautiful, brand new plans that have always been sent to us every year. That's fine. The only concern I have, is that we have voiced our concern about this, having a new plan every year that are then sold to us as being the next best thing to – the next big thing after sliced bread.

And I wonder whether if we do this again in writing, we will just not sound grumpy and not actually come up with other criticism on this.

ALAN GREENBERG: It's possible we may say it's a good document. [Laughs]

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. So all right. On the record then that we do express. There will be one question on there that will be specifically asking, is this latest version, is this really going to be the final one? And that will sound a bit cynical, but the rest of it, of course, doesn't stop us from actually [?] of the plan, and anything false on whether this is good or not.

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier, it's Alan. I think the real issue is, is this truly a strategic plan as opposed to an operational plan? And does it contain the kinds of things that we think are in fact where ICANN should be focusing its energy in the future? And it's almost a yes/no answer.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: And Dev, I hope you're taking notes on this. Yes, fantastic. All right, let's move on. And the next one is the interim report on the internationalized registration data expert working group. And that is punted to the IDN working groups, and to Rinalia Abdul Rahim [?]. Have we had any answer from Rinalia and Edmun or the working group. Ariel?

ARIEL LIANG: In progress. I will check with Rinalia and the IDN working group.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: All right. Thank you. So that's in progress. And the next one is the AT Large, ICANN strategy, no, sorry. That's wrong. I guess the problem is that there are so many different windows together. The ICANN cross community working group on Internet governance's submission to NetMundial. How are we doing on this?

And I just, I realized I missed one thing, I'll come back to it in a moment. ICANN cross community working group on Internet governance's submission to NetMundial. Alan is to confirm whether a statement is necessary. Alan, you have the floor.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. That was assigned to me at a meeting that I didn't attend. If I attended, I don't think I would have accepted the assignment. I don't really see how we can come up with any rationale statement. The document is a long one. You're familiar with the process under which it was drafted.

I can't see us coming up with a critique of it, or a modification of it. We certainly can come up with a one sentence statement saying that we support it, if indeed we do. But are really expecting more than that? Like I said, I didn't partake in the discussion leading up to it being assigned to me, so I'm not quite sure what was expected, but I can see a process going forward, for us to come up with a substantive statement on this.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you very much Alan. And you've just effected your action item. This is to confirm whether a statement is necessary. No more than that. You weren't ask to draft a statement.

ALAN GREENBERG: For clarity Olivier, I didn't say whether it was necessary. I don't see a viable way for anyone, which may not be the same thing.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Evan Leibovitch.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

It's hard to follow that. I think part of the problem, and Alan is absolutely right in the sense that this has been a moving target. It continues to be a moving target. So even an action item that may have been valid a week or two ago, it no longer matters. There was essentially a draft paper that was leaked into WikiLeaks, and a lot of people have been doing responses and other commentary based on that.

Now there is a final draft document for us to look at. It is different from what was on WikiLeaks and it's in fact, significantly worse in a number of respects, such as references to net neutrality that were in the early WikiLeaks draft are nowhere to be found in the existing one. So we do have some work to do.

We do have some vigilance to do in actually going through this document. The problem is with the timing has just been so absolutely staggeringly compressed. I'm not sure how much we're going to be able to do. Much in the same way that ALAC has had an ongoing Skype chat at ICANN meetings, there is already a Skype chat that's being done for ISOC members that are going down there.

I'm going to suggest the same thing for At Large people that are going down, so that perhaps we can coordinate in real time, because really we're going to have no opportunity to do anything but working in real time, with the possibility of at least coordinating participation down there. I don't think this takes the form of a statement. Things are just moving too fast for any particular statement to have any validity.

We could write something very elaborate and it could be nullified the moment we walk in. So, I think right now, it's going to be a matter of, we've got a number of good people going down there, and we're going to have to trust these people that they're going to be reasonably nimble on their feet, and with the help of Skype and a few other tools, able to coordinate and get the most out of our participation. Thanks.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you very much Evan. And just to refocus the discussion. This was just about the document which the cross community working group on Internet governance sent to NetMundial. In fact, when reading the NetMundial overall document, you will find some parts of that, actually agreeing or maybe being taken from the cross community working group documents.

So that's been taken into account. That said, of course, I totally agree with all that you have said Evan, and things are moving fast. In fact, there is also this afternoon, sorry, earlier today, there was a call of the SO and AC and SG chairs that took place pretty much at the time where every other call on the planet was taking place at the same time. And during that call, there were discussions as to having better coordination ICANN wide.

And certainly another Skype chat would be created as well. So there needs to be several levels of Skype chats that will take place, I think, that certainly the ISOC one, the ALAC one, the cross community working group one, and possibly a wider ICANN wide chat of all of the people that basically are active in ICANN circles. Alan Greenberg.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, okay, thank you. My first comment was going to be basically what you said, that Evan made a very true statement, but I don't think it was what we were talking about. The task assigned to me was, should we make a statement on the CCWG statement submissions to NetMundial? Not things coming out of it.

However, all of that being said, do we have a definitive list of what ICANN people will be in Brazil, in Sao Paulo next week? It will be really useful to know who is there.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: This is Evan. As a matter of fact Alan, we do. I will find it. We've been collecting a travel page, you know the one...

ALAN GREENBERG: I know about the travel page. The question is, all of the ICANN people. I didn't say all of the At Large people.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Three levels, sorry for jumping in, because I've also [repeat enough] of this at the moment. As with anything related to NetMundial, it's a bit confused, a bit all over the place, and a bit inefficient as well. There is an At Large page which Evan started, which then was converted into the cross community working group page. So that includes also non At Large people travelling.

And now I have received by email, from [?], something that is currently not online. And that was discussed during the SO, and AC, and SG chair's meeting, which is a wider ICANN wide list of people that were travelling to Brazil. That's in an Excel document. That will be put online behind the login for the cross community working group people, and I'm sure you can forward the list over to people here, or put it behind a login on one of our parts of the wiki.

The reason it's behind a login is because it's got some phone numbers on there, and some people don't want to send their phone number out over in the open, for the search engine to be able to put them up.

ALAN GREENBERG:

May I suggest that it may be available so people can download it before they get on airplanes? You never know what happens with connectivity once you get there.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you Alan, that's a good point. And so I'll work on that immediately after this call. Now the only thing is, when I heard that there was a list, I was particularly delighted, [?] excellent, good thing. And when I looked at the list, I was quite, to the point of the good news, it was quite patchy. It doesn't show what ICANN staff members are doing.

It doesn't show who from the Board is going. I know that Rinalia is listed, but I also know that Sébastien is going to go, but he wasn't on the list. Surely there are many other people that will be travelling there. I

see a lot of hands at the moment. So Evan and Alan have already spoken, we can have Tijani and then Heidi. Tijani, you have the floor.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much Olivier. I'm sorry to tell you that I have to leave now because I have another call at the top of the hour. So I'm really sorry to leave you this call [?] teleconference. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay Tijani, and good luck with your next call. And this is one of the problems this week, with a lot of calls taking place [?] this week. Heidi Ullrich.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you Olivier. Two quick questions regarding what Evan mentioned. Would the ALTs like an At Large wiki page for coordination for NetMundial? And would the ALTs like At Large staff to prepare a Skype chat just for the At Large people going there? Or are you going to be using a broader Skype chat? Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: The floor is open.

ALAN GREENBERG: I think a broader Skype chat would be useful, but it's not up to us to say everybody is going to be on it.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi again. Olivier, you mentioned that on the call today with the SO, AC, SG chair's that there was mention that there was going to be creation of a broader Skype chat. Is that going to be enough for your purposes? Or do you want something more for At Large? Or do you want to just use the regular At Large Skype chat for that? To get broader input from At Large?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Evan Leibovitch.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Hi. Heidi, I'm going to suggest, and I'm hoping the rest of the folks on this call will agree, of not just regulating it to ALAC, because this is not like ALAC being our own constituency in an ICANN meeting. It's a very, very different environment, where we've literally got ICANN people there that are working...

There is different... There is governments there, there is different constituencies there, the mix is totally different. So what I'm actually going to suggest is having a Skype chat for essentially the CCWG members that are going to be there, along with anyone that is not making the meeting but is going to be participating remotely. And so, that's my suggestion.

This was originally started as a NCSG ALAC thing. At this point, I think we have much to gain by coordinating with the NCSG people that are going to be there with some of the business constituencies. I think

when it comes to the NetMundial meeting, we probably have more in common than we have differences. And so I have personally no problem, and I think it would be a good idea not just to make this an ALAC thing, but to essentially bring together the people that were in the CCWG, and do a common Skype chat.

And if people on this group don't want to be there, it's easy to leave a Skype chat if you don't want to be there.

ALAN GREENBERG:

For the record, I wasn't part of the CCWG, but I would like to be in [?]....

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you Alan and thank you Evan for this. With regards to a Skype chat, I think they're quite opening, and people can get in and come out, and usually are quite [?]. So I don't think... Heidi, thanks for suggesting this, but it's probably easier if it just gets created by itself. On the other hand, with regards to a wiki page, I think that would be important for us to have – [?] have a wiki page on this issue.

If only to hold some points which we might wish to have. You know, this whole process of NetMundial is going to be looking at a document with a set of principles on one side, and a roadmap on the other. There is an enormous amount of confusion around it. It's absolutely chaotic on all levels, whether it's travel, whether it's logistics, whether it's the way that the meeting is going to take place.

We've been given today, the staff shared a PowerPoint presentation that had a bug inside it, so only half of the presentation worked. Then I

saw another half of the presentation being made on the ISOC channel that was taking place in parallel, so I saw a little bit more than most people, and things are still moving, and they're still trying to work out that the way that the session will be moderated, and we're only four days away from the start of the meeting.

In fact, some people are already traveling today to go to Brazil, because there are three meetings meeting, which really don't appear to have been invited to, and some of which are the high level meetings, but it also looks as though APC is funding some members of civil society to go for various reason.

It's pretty chaotic, worse than the Internet governance forum, and that is certainly, it looks as though the [?] be done is the document, which was published, I think yesterday, or the day before yesterday, that is currently out there for comment. Again, individual comment, which would be impossible for the ALAC to conclude as to what comments we would like to put on there. But this document is now up for comment and is going to be discussed probably discussed line by line, a little bit like what happened at [?].

But then maybe not. May be it will be a totally different method, but hopefully, that document should be the latest for the [?] document, or the consolidated document that will come out of this meeting. There is already a concern and a site with regards to whether this document is going to be binding, non-binding, literate.

It's actually a deliverable that will form the bases for future Internet governance discussions, this sort of thing. You can get the idea. And I

think we need to move on from this. But if we can get a placeholder page, just with, I think, on the one hand a link to the document, on the other hand a link to the list of travelers that we've got for At Large. Maybe on the other hand also, a link to the travelers that because wiki working group have, that I note, that Evan has put that wiki address onto the chat.

Bearing in mind, that when we login to the wiki webpage, any other information that will help our community, that we can just point someone. Oh, I'm interested in this subject, can just point them over to this wiki page, that will be helpful. Let's move on to the next thing.

And so I, oh. Before we move on to the next thing, back to this original question. ICANN cross community working group on Internet governance's submission to NetMundial. The public comment period is actually open for another amount of time than the NetMundial, which is next week. And that's because this is going to be a long time focus, moving forward.

I really think that it will be helpful with the ALAC, just sent a very short statement of support for the submission itself. I don't think there is anything controversial in the submission itself. So far the working group has had some people saying, "Well, hang on, this is not really an ICANN point of view. Or an ICANN document, this is something which was drawn up by a few people that drafted this, a bunch individuals." And I would like to show the way effectively, the ALAC could show the way that we're being serious about this cross community working group by actually supporting its first [?], as chaotic as it was.

And so, I'm going to ask here whether there is any comment about that. Can we just have some support of what we can do, because we have the time, is to have a vote on this at the next ALAC call, which would be the week after that NetMundial. Are we all okay on this? Green ticks, red crosses please. I see a green tick from Holly.

Green from Dev. And others are not really sure. Okay, there is green from everyone. Okay, thank you. For the record, there has been – I don't see anyone having put a red cross on their name. So let's proceed with this then, and I can always... Well, the only thing is, I would like to have a pen holder who is not a member of the working group.

This is why Alan has landed on your knees. You can always allocate it to someone else who would like to put their name next to a [?] statement of support. You'll work something out. Alan Greenberg.

ALAN GREENBERG: If you're happy with one of my one sentence or two sentences statements of support, then I'm happy to do it. If you want something more elaborate, I think we need to find someone else.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Alan. I think you've got the pen. One sentence, two is fine.

ALAN GREENBERG: Done. [CROSSTALK]

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes Evan, go ahead please.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: At the speed this is all going, one or two sentences might be the only thing that we can do. It will be stable enough to survive the next week. So...

ALAN GREENBERG: Remember, this is a comment on the statement that was already made.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I know. But it's also...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Next one, IDN variant TLDs, LGR, label generating rules of procedure implementation, maximal starting repertoire version one. Ariel has been repeatedly in touch with Rinalia Abdul Rahim. Do we have a fist statement out there?

ARIEL LIANG: This is Ariel for the record. Not yet, but I have sent the audio recording of the working group meeting in Singapore to Rinalia, and I'm expecting a statement from her shortly. I don't how soon, but I will follow up with her.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That's great. Thanks very much Ariel. That's good. Next, ICANN's future meeting strategy. And the ALAC is currently voting on a statement. And the initial report, its registrar transfer policy part PDP, ALAC is voting on a statement, and finding the draft implementation plan, and the WHOIS online accuracy and reporting system. Alan, you were tasked with this one.

I think that we've come up with a statement on this, haven't you?

ALAN GREENBERG: I believe that we finalized that statement in Singapore, and I'm not quite sure why it's coming back to haunt us again and again. I drafted something, Holly modified it, I think we finalized it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I think it was never on the wiki.

ALAN GREENBERG: Sorry, sorry. I walked away for a second. Are we talking about IRTP or WHOIS?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: WHOIS.

ALAN GREENBERG: Sorry. I'm sorry, I walked out of the room for half a minute.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Rule number one, don't walk out.

ALAN GREENBERG: Sometimes life gets in the way. Yes, I drafted something last night and I'm waiting for comments on it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks. Ariel, have we sent the call for comments update yet?

ARIEL LIANG: Not yet. I'm waiting for the schedule from you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. So we'll work on this immediately afterwards, after the end of this call. Excellent. This was a bit laborious, it took a while, because there are so many statements taking place simultaneously, that I would like to thank all of the people who are holding the pen. It's such a busy time for us.

I just have a concern that we're burning ourselves out. Not only on all of these statements, but all of the other things that are taking place simultaneously, and I guess it's one of these times where we don't really have very much choice. The moment we tell people that we are faced with limited bandwidth, etc. then some issues tend to be pushed aside from us.

For example, the IANA function transition issue. And we're told, oh well, you said you were busy and things, you don't have time for this.

And that's actually not the sort of image I would like to give on this.
Alan Greenberg?

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yeah, I think this is not the time to have the discussion, but we need to have the discussion soon, on how we – on what the criteria is for when we make statements or not. There are just too many things that we care about, and I really we have to focus more and cut down that list.

Like I said, today is not the right time for that discussion, but we really do need to have it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Okay. Thanks Alan. And we'll have to table this for when we have the time. And that might well be after ATLAS II. So, currently open public comments. Proposal for the use of mandatory pics. And of course, we're not going to have a statement on this, and we're going to touch on that in a very – sorry, not mandatory pics.

Mandatory policy advisory boards, we're going to touch on this immediately afterwards on this call. Now, Netmundial update. We've already touched on this. Very quickly, I know several of us are traveling there. Most of the At Large people are staying at the lovely [?]....

That's was the product placement of this call. And we are therefore going to spend two days in the room. I really don't know what's going to happen, and we'll probably just have to find out as time goes. I note that whilst speaking on this call, I have received further instructions. Participation instructions from NetMundial.

And now I have a number, I've been given a type code with a number, and yeah. Bad connection, etc. I don't know if anybody wishes to add anything to this topic really, at this point in time.

ALAN GREENBERG: Just one, it's Alan. Since the hotel we're staying in is not officially one of the NetMundial hotels, is there bussing, and if so, where is the nearest hotel where there is bussing?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Alan. If they are bussing, in other words, busses, no. I specifically asked the question and the answer I was given are there are no busses. Evan Leibovitch?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Actually, Alan to go further, there are no official hotels outside of the venue. There are a couple in the area. If you go to the NetMundial webpage that have negotiated deals, but there is no such thing as...

ALAN GREENBERG: That's what I meant by the official hotels.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: There are a handful, like the Hilton, that is like double the price of the Hyatt that has negotiated a special deal. And so the [?] in the hotels that are physically nearest to the venue. And they're probably the safest walk to the venue, but they're not official hotels.

And probably because they are already pretty heavily discounted to start with, there is not likely to be an special deals.

ALAN GREENBERG: I wasn't asking for that. I was just asking, was there bussing? And the answer is no.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: There are no shuttles, there are no airport transfers. Everyone is on their own.

ALAN GREENBERG: I understand.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That's the chaos of it all. Thank you Evan, thank you Alan. Just to add and close this discussion, I called, I actually called each one of the conference hotels when I tried booking with them. On the day when I received my invitation to go to, to basically say, there you are, you're funded. And you're given a pittance of money to be able to book yourself a room. On all of the hotels, by the time I called them, were all pretty booked at the preferential rates.

In fact, the preferential [?] finished in mid-March, which was two weeks before we were given the green light to go out there. So, that's why you'll find very few of us are in the conference hotel. In fact, the only people that are in the conference hotel are people in the NCSG, and

that's because APC had blocked off a huge block of rooms for civil society organizations in advance, because they funded this in advance, and they were therefore able to offer those rooms to those people in NCSG at the preferential rate that [?].

So we've been truly, well, we're just not getting the right end of the stick. I have no idea who is staying in the Hyatt. I have no idea who is able to afford the Hyatt, because it's \$400 a night.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Actually, Olivier, this is Evan. The NCSG people are not in the venue hotel. Avri, [?], and Rafrik are all in another hotel called the [?], which is double the price of – it was further away and less safe of a walk. So they're not doing any better than we are. There in a more expensive hotel, but it's not the venue.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Evan, I'm not saying not at the venue, I'm saying a venue hotel. In other words, a hotel that had the special deals with the venue.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Got it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: We know the only venue hotel is the Hyatt, and the Hyatt has been fully booked ever since I checked on this. So that must have been where all of the governments, and all of the fat cats, are there. Did I say fat cats?

Yes. Okay. Next move. Let's go over to the ATLAS II update. Meeting of the London organizing committee.

There was a meeting that took place face to face last Friday. I couldn't make it in person, so I was connected it to be telephone, and I attended it remotely. The work is moving forward quite well on this. We spent, out of the two hours the majority of the time looking at what the GAC is going to do with this GAC high level meeting, that they're planning on having on the Monday of the ICANN meeting.

Basically saying that, they're not ready, they haven't actually worked out how this high level meeting will take place. They don't know whether it will take place in the morning or the afternoon, or what room it will take place, or how many people will attend. There when we were with ATLAS II about six months ago, and yet that's what the priority is at the moment.

So, there isn't really very much I can relate more to you, regarding progress. Tim [Burnes] meeting is too expensive to have as a speaker for our ATLAS II. We are looking for other speakers. If you have any thoughts as to other suggestions for speakers, please relay them to the ALAC and relay them to the London organizing committee, who is working with the communications team.

And there was a thought about having Richard [Brightson], or others. This can all be pursued. Any comments or questions? Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG:

Sorry, old hand.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Evan? Okay. So, I see no one else putting their hand up. Let's go on to the next thing I guess. Just before that, update on sponsorship. That's right. So, the sponsorship is a little bit complicated at the moment. We have a green light from Google. So a proposal from Google to spend, I think it's about \$10,000 on anything that we need to spend it on.

We've had a positive response from Afilas, who wanted to take everyone to a pub on the Saturday night. But has been done though, in the meantime or before that, we have already given the green light to [?] to secure a room at the Hilton Paddington, just down the road, which complicates matters because if we are to cancel the – which I believe is the ballroom at the Hilton Paddington, we might have to pay a penalty, which is not such a good thing.

And the penalty will be, I think about 90% of the full cost of the room. So that's really a bit of a mess on that one. We're trying to find out if we can off load this to somebody else, to another organization if we are to go through the root of trying – going to the pub would effectively be several busses taking the whole community over to a pub of the choice of Afilas.

Still early discussions, and I'm just to follow up with [?] from Afilas on this. Heidi, you have put your hand up.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Just really quick. This is Heidi. On that, and maybe you'll get to that in a moment, Olivier, but PIR was also interested in doing a lunch,

sponsoring a lunch. So just this morning, we talked about [?] that will also be on the 23rd. So just this morning, Olivier and I, and I have been in touch with Nancy about possibly taking that Paddington slot for the dinner on the 21st, moving it to that lunch, that PRI would pay, thus opening the slot for Afilas to have the pub dinner. So just a quick update on that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Heidi. But I don't know why you're mentioning this because the lunch we're going to stage was going to be on the Sunday lunch, and I told Nancy from PRI, you've got a copy of that in your mailbox that you answered this message, that it would be better for us to have the lunch on the Sunday, since on the Saturday our ALSs don't have the time to go for lunch.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. That was an option. I'm trying to do two things... Either the Sunday, as you state on Saturday, right now, there is a tentative At Large mentoring program during the lunch time, that all ALAC members are mandatory, needing to be there. But the other option, how do we...

I'm also trying to figure out how we can accommodate Afilas for their request for the pub. And one way is to shift that Paddington events that we already planned a contract for, moving that to lunch. Just trying to fit the pieces of the puzzle together.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Let's try and work something out. And as you can all hear, things are moving around. And it's all down to negotiating and being able to do the best with what we can have. One thing is sure, by the way, the venue is going to be very tight. It's not very big for the number of people that are going to be there.

It's going to be interesting. Our Fayre of Opportunities, which used to be called the showcase, is going to be tight as well. It's going to take place in the ALAC room, and I've been in the ALAC room. What I'm going to do, and I've been saying that saying I need to do this. I'm taking pictures of the whole venue, last time I was there, and I'm going to try and put them up on the wiki page, connected to the ATLAS II.

So you can all have a look at the size of the venue, and the size of the rooms, and things. All I need to do is to just upload the pictures on the wiki page. But I've taken them all of my camera, so they're all on the laptop ready to be beamed over.

Next, sponsorship, I will follow up, by the way, with all of the different sponsors on this. Next the ALAC public comment on policy advisory boards. And looking at the next steps. Now, the initial comment period has just closed. We've gone automatically into the reply period. Has anyone had time to look at the comments received so far?

And would you say that we need to start taking action now already on the comments received? Or should we wait until we've got the full length of the public comment period completed? The floor is open. And there is a deafening silence on the call right now. So let me ask

Evan first, since this has both Evan's name and my name on it. What's your thoughts on the [?] and the follow up to this?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Okay. I've read all of the comments. And so essentially, some of the statements in support of this that we were hoping to get from our business constituency friends never showed up. So essentially we've got a couple of different comments.

There is ones from the new gTLD applicants group, and from doughnuts, as you can imagine, they're not particularly pleased with this. We have a comment from Christopher Wilkinson, who basically says, it's not a good idea. And if there is a public interest concern over these sensitive strings, they shouldn't have been delegated in the first place.

Point of view which I have no argument, but it may be too late for that. So, I'm not exactly sure what, where to go next. My gut instinct right now, Olivier you tell me what you think of this, is that since the GAC seem to re-raise the issue about the suitability of picks, in its communique at the end of Singapore, that our engagement with the GAC during Singapore was very productive, and it showed in the results of the Singapore communique, that perhaps we should wait to see what the Board response is to the GAC communique.

We've always been of the position that while we're not necessary wedded to public advisory boards as a substitute, the one thing that we all seem to be in agreement on is that the current concept of picks is not going to be sustainable as something that protects the public interest.

So part of me is saying that we have the luxury, I think, of waiting to see how the Board responds to the GAC on this particular issue, because they are interrelated. The GAC had indicated that it's not satisfied with the way category one strings are being handled, which is in direct contrast to what the Board told us during the Board ALAC engagement during Singapore.

So, clearly, the Board has some work to do in responding to the concerns of the ALAC and now, clearly, the GAC. So I think we have the luxury on waiting on that, before seeing what response we need to take. The wording of the public comment period was very deliberate in saying that, once we had the comments in hand, we would determine further action, but didn't rope ourselves into any specific timeline, or any specific course of action subsequent. Thanks.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you very much Evan Leibovitch. Any other thoughts or comments?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Well, Olivier, what's your take on it?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Evan. So my take on it is somehow I think I'm on the same sort of line on this as what you've just said here. I would certainly say that we would need to wait and see, for the time being, if there are any further comments coming in. And definitely to see if – seeing that they

are some comment in there that oppose each other quite radically, with some supporting the top IDN, some not supporting the...

It would be interesting to see if there are any replies to those public comments by other people having commented. I'm a little disappointed that no one in At Large, and in the At Large community, apart from Christopher Wilkinson, have taken on the, or the opportunity to submit a comment, either as an individual or on behalf of their At Large structure.

It may be that this is not something that is of interest to them, but I would have thought this was something of importance, especially for end users. That said, we – you're absolutely right that the GAC, having picked up on the text, is very significant, and it might be that the people, having seen the GAC picking up on the picks, could have thought that this somehow would have regulated the past proposal to a second place...

Finding out how the pick problem would roll out. So that's pretty much what we might do. The question then I have here is that, should we have a segment on the PABs, so a follow up on the PABs, on the ALAC call in two weeks' time? And I think that the public comment period will not be closed by then. Any thoughts on this?

Do you wish to have a real quick poll here then. Temperature of the room. The segment on the... So an agenda item on the ALAC call on the PABs, green tick is yes, red tick is, cross, is you don't think it's important, so it's no. I see green tick, two green ticks, three green ticks...

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier, it's Alan. I'm not sure that it's not important. The question is, is it reasonable to have the discussion if the comment period hasn't closed?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That's really the question. So, should we have it on the agenda, or should we not have it on the agenda?

ALAN GREENBERG: Have it on the agenda. If we decide to vote to delay it, we delay it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Perfect, thanks Alan. Good point. And I notice Dev, Edmund, and Holly with an agreement with putting it on the agenda. So please, Heidi, take note that we'll have that on the agenda as well. And probably for less than 20 minutes, make it 15 minutes at this point.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Olivier, it's Evan. One possibility of why ALSs haven't responded is that it's possible that the people have been seeing that the ALAC, in creating the public comment period in the first place, and having seemed to stake out a position, may have already done what they thought was sufficient and didn't need input from the ALSs and RALOs.

I don't know if that was explicit, but it have been a message sent that sense ALAC had already sent, you know, created this and was, obviously advocating for some extra thought to be paid to this, that perhaps it

was thought by other ALSs and RALOs that, you know, it had already filtered its way to the top.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: So, you're saying Evan... It's Olivier speaking. Are you saying, we have just been making noise for the sake of making noise?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I hope not.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. That was a joke, by the way, for the transcript record. I know that they just don't come out too well on the transcript. So, next we have, well. That takes us quite well into the suggestions of the ALAC meeting, of the next ALAC meeting. Any topics that you think needs to be on the ALAC call?

In addition, of course, to our usual topics, etc. Obviously, there is going to be something on NetMundial. I think it's the week after NetMundial, so obviously I'll have a little report. And in fact, many of us who [?] in Brazil, will have, I hope, maybe not even consolidated report. We will be able to speak about what happened in Brazil and where they are going.

That said, I don't want to spend too much time on that. Now, there will be a section on the NCI stewardship transition. I would say about 15 minutes maybe on that. And we will touch on this in a moment in the

any other business. Any other agenda items which you think should be spoken about?

What about the working groups? Should we have... We'll obviously have an ATLAS II update on the different ATLAS II working groups. Any other working group updates that you believe is important at this moment in time? I don't see anybody putting their hand up. So it's probably none at the moment, as the working groups have met in Singapore.

Okay. So, I don't see anyone else making any suggestions. And that takes, therefore that takes us four minutes beyond the original end of this call. Takes us to any other business. And Evan, I believe you have something to bring forward.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Actually, it was just a technical matter. I've been approached by an ALAC member, who has asked to be able to change their vote on the Bolivian ALS application. And so I don't know if it's a mechanical thing, or who do I direct them to talk to about either cancelling their vote and allowing them to revote, or allowing them to change it, or is that door closed?

I don't know Big Pulse well enough. So the person has talked to me, and I don't know what response to give back.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Okay. Thank you Evan. I've got the answer, but I see Alan putting his hand up. So I'll let Alan speak first.

ALAN GREENBERG: It was a related question. My understanding was the vote was suspended it would be reopened, and the questions answered. [CROSSTALK] voted, so I don't need to change a vote, but I need to vote.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Alan. It's good to see several of us have not voted. I have not voted either. So the vote is suspended until we've got some more... I think that the discussion took place today, is the ALAC internal list was very helpful indeed, and certainly clarified things. So I'm of the view that we should reopen the vote now, and perhaps keep it open until next Monday.

If that's all okay with you? That will give people enough time to vote. Now with regards to people who wish to change their vote, the Big Pulse does not allow the changing of the vote, however the rules, our rules, allow for the votes to be changed, I think, or at least they don't mention anything with regards to that. And so, in the past, some people have changed their votes, and the way they did it was to contact Matt, and asked Matt to record the vote differently.

And therefore I'll have to turn it over to Ariel Liang on this one. Ariel, are you aware how to change the vote manually?

ARIEL LIANG: I have got to figure it out.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you Ariel. So Ariel will figure it out. And the answer to you, Evan, as to whom should be contacted for changing the vote... Anyone who wants to change their vote, will need to email Ariel, and Ariel will change their votes on their behalf. Alan Greenberg.

ALAN GREENBERG: Just as guidance Ariel. I don't believe there is any necessity to change the vote in Big Pulse. Big Pulse is a vehicle we use to do the vote. For these votes where the, you know, how someone has voted is not necessarily confidential from Ariel, and I presume this one is setup that way. It's fine...

As far as the rules are concerned, it's quite fine if she just changes the outcomes and reports it accordingly. There is no need to go back and change it within Big Pulse.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks for this Alan. What I was going to suggest was she just asked Matt, since he has done this in the past. I just don't know whether he has changed the vote on Big Pulse or whether he has just changed the outcome. But Ariel, you can probably just fire an email off to Matt, and he'll no doubt tell you what he was doing at the time.

And the problem is just changing the outcome at the end of the recording, manually. Okay. Any other, other business?

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier, Ariel noted that if the vote is anonymous, she can't do that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: The vote is not anonymous. Oh, because it is... That's right.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah. There are multiple levels of anonymous. In some cases, it is not recorded but the information is available to Ariel. I don't know how this one is setup. If it is truly anonymous, and the information is tossed away, then clearly the vote has to be re-held.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That's a problem.

ARIEL LIANG: This is Ariel speaking. I can work with the technicians at BP and ask them to change the vote on behalf of me...

ALAN GREENBERG: Unless it is truly anonymous, in which case they don't keep that information.

ARIEL LIANG: No, it's not truly anonymous. It's, yeah.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It's [fairly?] anonymous. [Laughs] Okay. Thanks very much everyone. Another piece of any other business... And if we can just take another

five minutes of your time, but it's very important and that's the transition of stewardship on the IANA contract.

Very, very hot topic out there. It's very politically sensitive for several reasons. For one, the ccNSO has threatened to pull out of the cross community working group on Internet governance, if the cross community working group on Internet governance was going to deal with the IANA contract as one of its things, and it's one of the topics in its charter. So seeing that this is a huge, very touchy issue, a hot potato as such, it was decided by the cross community working group on Internet governance that anything to do with the NCI function was out of the working group, and that's something else, another process we need to contemplate in parallel.

The GNSO and the ccNSO are working on two things. They've got a working group on, cross community working group on the creation of cross community working groups, and this is something where they're inviting other SOs and ACs to send people to that cross community working group as well.

I hope we've got people on that. I don't know who has volunteered for this yet. Alan? You've got your hand up. Have you volunteered for this?

ALAN GREENBERG:

I have volunteered. I hope my name is on the list. I haven't seen any traffic, so I need to make sure. I'm sure Cheryl is on the list. I do not know if anyone else is, however, and we need to populate all of our slots. It is really, really important. In fact, we can populate more with a

lot of observers, non-voting observers, who can participate in the discussions.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: So this is why I'm touching on this here, and I would like to make this an I can during the ALAC call in order to garner and get support for this, and actually have active members in that cross community working group on cross community working groups. Holly Raiche, you have the floor.

HOLLY RAICHE: Yes, I just think it's really important to [?] put that on the agenda. And put it on the agenda probably in the first hour, and have a further discussion about that, because it's something that I would like to be involve in because it's certainly the whole issue of [?] and in fact, I was in a call two hours yesterday, with a whole bunch of stakeholders including people like [?]... Talking about [?]... it's a huge, certainly [?]... probably should be for ALAC [?].

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Holly. So there is two things. The cross community working group on cross community working groups, which will define the rules by which cross community working groups will be created. And hopefully help with the creation of cross community working groups. At the moment, the cross community working group on Internet governance is drafting its charter, and I have spent many hours with a smaller sub-team, and thankfully with the, really great help

of Garth [?] who is in ICANN staff for the ccNSO, and he's got a fair bit of knowledge about creating those charters.

We're pretty much working in the dark in creating these things ad hoc. That's the first thing. The next thing is the cross community working group on Internet, sorry. Cross community working group on the NTIA stewardship transition. And that's something which the ccNSO and the GNSO are going to work on as people who have built charters that are going to invite us, ACs, all of the advisory committees, and the other supporting organizations to work together on [?]... for this working group.

And then working together on this working group... The problem is that it is a highly political topic. And I don't even know if the ccNSO and the GNSO can come to terms with working with each other on this. So we just have to keep a very close eye on that at the moment. And I guess things will start moving after NetMundial.

Second, and this is where things get a bit more complicated, you will have noted an announcement that [?] from staff, that the Board has asked for, and I think it's the Board, has asked for a coordination group to be created on the issue of IANA stewardship transition. And on this, it has provided a detail that I think it's two people, two members, either two or three, certain number of members from each one of ICANN's SOs and ACs, and the first feedback I've already had is the GNSO is complaining that representing the GNSO with just two people is impossible.

They need to have more people on that steering committee. The second feedback that I have received also informally that was shared was, how the hell can ICANN tell us what to do? Yet again, we are doing a top down thing, trying to push this on us, whilst we are trying to put together a cross community working group moving up.

It's so political. And I have a feeling that the reason why there are so much venting already going on now is because whoever is going to have to work with everyone else, understand immediately that they are not going to be the people leading it. And I certainly seen several SOs and ACs thinking that they could lead this themselves and not let anyone else work on this, or have significant issues with it.

The big concern I have is that we are cast on the side, and you saw what happened over in Singapore. We are sticking to a line which I think is fine, which is that the whole process needs to be multistakeholder, that we might have to evolve that line soon. And so there are a couple of things which we're going to have to do.

First, we need to put together a taskforce within At Large that is going to be working specifically on this issue. Secondly, we also need to put together a selection process committee. So a selection committee that would be able to take on the applications from the At Large community, to select two people to go on that coordinating force. And I would say they need to be pretty senior people in their knowledge of the issues.

So that's why a selection committee... The same sort of... You're looking for the same sort of process that's for the ATRT 2. That's the sort of level that we're looking at, so the selection committee, I think,

should be the same sort of selection committee as what we had to select people for the ATRT 2.

And I'm asking for this to be a selection committee because obviously anybody on the selection committee will not be able to apply for that. If we say that it's the ALAC leadership team, or it's the ALAC itself that is going to be selecting people, then of course that precludes any ALAC member or any ALAC leadership team members for applying for the position on there.

I [?] ...but I think I've pretty much gone through the whole process here. Alan, you've got your hand up.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yeah, two things. On the last point, if it's the ALAC that does the selection, then people should be able to opt out if they, indeed, what to put their name in there themselves. We cannot have an arbitrary administrator who will, which precludes what may be the better candidates, or at least, viable candidates from applying.

So we certainly don't want to rig it so that we can only put our second stringers in. That's number one. My hand went up, however, based on the original topic of the CWG that's coming up, the CWG rules. More pointedly, this group may well come up with decisions on what will not be rules. That is, things that will not be cast in concrete, and will be less flexible for the decision of any working group.

It is moderately clear from initial discussions that there will be strong differences between the GNSO and the ccNSO. Their working methods

vary heavily. And the level of formality, very heavily, and both of them are formal in different areas, and informal in different areas. It's going to be really important that we get into this process.

And again, this is something, it's going to be a heavy time commitment, unfortunately, or moderately heavy, but it's something that seasoned people who have lived through these processes get involved in to make sure that we come up with something that we can live with ultimately. And the task may well be excluding things from the rules so they're not cast in concrete, if necessary. Just a plea, thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thank you very much Alan [CROSSTALK].

ALAN GREENBERG: There are battle lines being drawn, let me put it that way, which I can say on a recorded call.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you. Evan's hand is down, but he has mentioned in the chat that based on what I have said, the community is not doing much service to advance the cause of multistakeholderism, and I would say yes. And this is a real concern. Again, I think it's down to the ALAC and to At Large to reason those different parts of ICANN and tell them, "Listen, stop playing with your toys. We're talking here about something serious. That you're thinking of pulling the whole process towards you so you can control it. You will lose."

And everyone will lose because of your stupidity.” So I’m being very candid here, and I know this is recorded and so on, but I have real concerns and we all need to make sure that this kind of thing doesn’t happen, because that will be certainly the end of the model as we know it. So we need to be active on that.

Heidi, there were several action items on this. If you want, I can – we can, well... [CROSSTALK]

HEIDI ULLRICH: Olivier, I’ve asked Ariel to follow up with you following the call so we don’t need to keep everyone.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: All right. Thank you. Evan Leibovitch.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Alan has got his hand up.

ALAN GREENBERG: No, no. Old hand.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: One thing just occurred to me, and this may tie together a couple of things. There is an ATLAS meeting, ATLAS II thematic session on the future of multistakeholderism, maybe that is the genesis of our taskforce.

ALAN GREENBERG: If it's still alive at that point.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Sorry?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: If it's still alive at that point is what Alan has just said.

ALAN GREENBERG: Sorry, it has been a long call and a long day.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Usually, I'm the cynical one. [Laughter]

ALAN GREENBERG: Hey, I've started off spending an hour and a half at a consulate this morning, so.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you gentlemen. For the record, this is Olivier speaking. Cynicism, I guess, becomes a transmittable disease very soon, if the call keeps on going. Holly, I note, is mentioning that this discussion about the IANA transition of stewardship, needs to be part of the ALAC meeting, and up at the front of the agenda.

So if we can have this at the beginning of the items for discussion. And then, Heidi asks, should I add this item to the ALAC agenda? Yes please. It's been added. Excellent. Evan, your hand is still up. Okay. Any other, other business apart from this? Nope, Murray has stepped away. That's why the icon says.

Right. Well, I thank all of you for having lasted that little bit longer, but it was important that we discussed this at the end of the call. And for those of you who are traveling soon, have safe travels. Of course, we've got the [?] week and we've also got Easter this weekend. So for all of you are celebrating, please you have a good Easter and a good [?].

And we will speak after NetMundial in the next ALAC call. But of course, some of us will also speak face to face when we meet at NetMundial in Brazil.

ALAN GREENBERG: If anyone's information on the travel page is not correct, could you correct it?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: ...pointedly to someone who we know whose information is not correct.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks to all of the staff. And welcome again to Terri. You're seeing that this is an usual, very fast, very short, ALAC calls where not much happens, and not much is discussed. And that was, again, English sarcasm.

ALAN GREENBERG: And there is no passion whatsoever.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: None whatsoever. Thank you very much to all of you. This call is now adjourned.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]