
JULIA CHARVOLEN: Good morning, good afternoon and good evening everyone. Welcome to the APRALO monthly call on Tuesday, 25th of June 2013 at 0500 UTC. On the call today we have Siranush Vardanyan, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Pavan Budhrani, Hong Xue and Gunela Astbrink.

We have apologies from Rinalia Abdul Rahim, Winthrop Yu, Ali AlMeshal and Holly Raiche and from Staff we have Silvia Vivanco and myself, Julia Charvolen. May I remind all participants to please state their names before speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you very much and over to you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Julia. We have our Agenda, thanks [inaudible 00:56] and Holly for sharing this with us. The first Item on our Agenda is welcoming the new Members in APRALO. So you will welcome me [laughs]. I would just like to again express my gratefulness for the helping from Staff, to letting me be part of this huge family and wonderful family.

So I will hopefully be a good part of this time and of course I'm looking forward to all your support during this period. Unfortunately, Holly is not here, but let's move to the second point. If you don't mind.

The second point is becoming NomCom candidates. [Maybe? 02:02] Gunela, [inaudible 02:04] and Ali AlMeshal. Probably I will write to ask the Staff what is the purpose now, where we are. Silvia, can you help me with this?

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Sure Siranush. So now what we are... We are, with all the RALOs, must [inaudible 02:30] by June 25th. Two nominators [audio interference 02:49] and Ali, we just need to hear from them if the [inaudible] by June 25th.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: I really couldn't hear you Silvia. Can you put in the notes what is the process because the deadline here is the 25th, it is written on the Agenda, so it would be good to know... I think, if I'm not wrong, by July 12th we need to already know people's names announced officially, yes?

CHERYL LANGDON ORR: Sira, it's Cheryl here. I'm having trouble raising my hand. Thank you Siranush, I appreciate you noting me even though I am unable to raise my hand. If I may assist you here, I did hear much of what Silvia was saying but it was difficult to hear. I believe we certainly have Gunela on this call and we have Ali – if we don't that is regrettable.

But in fact, by the close of business on the 25th, which of course is UTC 25th, which means it is technically in another 12 or so hour's time – the rest of the world is still on the 24th – APRALO needs to put forward, via Holly, and she can certainly do that through Olivier at the ALAC call later today, which is midnight Australia time. and put forward any names – and we have the two names that have been nominated, who wish to serve as the regional Nominating Committee voting member.

That's something of course that, Siranush, you know and understand very well because you have served in this capacity for the last two years. So I think this Agenda Item is to allow any of the potential candidates to say a few words and introduce themselves. Siranush, if you would like to ask Gunela to do that, and see if Ali is on the line?

We do need to recognize that all we are doing as a region is putting forward two names which we believe would do an admirable job. The ALAC make the selection and the ALAC can select someone who we do not put forward, so it is not a [inaudible 05:40] that anyone on our list, in this case our two names, will be selected by the ALAC.

But obviously they have asked us to look to our own knowledge base and put forward someone. And I see Olivier is going to jump in and perhaps correct me? Over to you Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Cheryl. I just wanted to check one thing – did you say an ALAC call later on today?

CHERYL LANGDON ORR: Sorry, no it needs to go through to you. ALAC is normally on the same day as our meeting but it's been postponed so we'll have to...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That's correct, yes.

CHERYL LANGDON ORR: It would have to be transmitted by Pavan on behalf of Holly.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, that's correct Cheryl. I'm looking forward to receiving the preferred candidates from the RALO.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Olivier. Thank you Cheryl. So I think we have two really great candidates; Gunela and Ali, and it would probably be good if there is no challenges, just to go for some voting process, Cheryl, or maybe we...

CHERYL LANGDON ORR: There is no need to do any sort of vote. All we need to do is put the names forward.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay, so maybe we can...

CHERYL LANGDON ORR: Even if we did vote, it has no bearing on the ALAC's decision. APRALO has always just put suitable names forward in no particular priority. But what we do have the opportunity to do in today's call is hear a few words from Gunela and from Ali, if they're both here.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay. I think Ali will join us in a couple of minutes, it was supposed to be [inaudible 08:03] but probably we'll start with Gunela. Gunela, please? Gunela, are you available?

CHERYL LANGDON ORR: You might be muted, Gunela.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay. While we are waiting for Gunela to unmute, we will probably come back to this point when Ali also will be online. We will move forward with the Agenda. This selection of APRALO Chair and Vice Chairs are done.

Starting from June 13th, newly selected people will be taking up their positions, and I am new the process but as far as I know, the Secretariat should be appointed and we all agreed that our current Secretariat will stay for another term, yes? Cheryl, please help me with that.

CHERYL LANGDON ORR: Yes, that's correct.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Excellent. My congratulations for Pavan and [Jacques? 09:40]. And we'll move forward with point (4) – [Agenda? 09:45] in Bali and APRALO IGF; Asia Pacific IGF update. Pavan, please?

PAVAN BUDHRANI: Hi, I think [Yanis 10:01] will probably be able to give a better update on that but she is currently travelling, so once she reaches Hong Kong I'll tell her to email APRALO and give the latest update on that.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay, thank you Pavan. So we'll come back to you again because the next Agenda point is ICANN Beijing and steps forward for ALAC's communication. You have the floor Pavan. Sorry, Hong, please?

HONG XUE: Well, thank you. I actually have a question regarding Agenda Item #3. Well, I'm not at a screen but to my memory, it says selection for APRALO representatives to ALAC should be completed by the end of June. That would be in only a couple of days. I didn't receive the voting code. I wonder if that has been completed? I just wonder, did I miss a procedural?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Hong. This is a really good point you've raised. Staff, can you help us with where we are with the voting process now?

SILVIA VIVANCO: I would say that is an Action Item and [inaudible 11:20] vote and what [inaudible 11:23] or not, so I would take that as an Action Item.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yes, please let us know because we are reaching the deadline already for that.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you. I will.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Hong, do you have anything else to add? Your hand is up.

HONG XUE: Well, that's an old one.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay, I hope that soon we have the information from Staff so that the decision will be done. Pavan, we're back to you. The floor is yours.

PAVAN BUDHRANI: Thank you very much. Basically, it was my initiative to reach out to the ALSs after the Beijing meeting and get their feedback. I was able to get some of them to reply back and give their feedback on how they felt

about the meeting and arrangements, and from that I've summarized three or four points of things we can do better next time, according to their suggestions.

So if it's okay, I'll just read those points out. The first one was that some of the ALSs found that the terminology used during the meetings a bit hard to catch up with, so my suggestion would be that next time Staff could help out – and I could help out as well – to have a sheet of some of the acronyms printed beforehand so that we could pass it out to them so they can know what the different working groups are and so on. It would be easier for them to follow during the meeting.

The second one: some of the ALSs found the schedule to be quite overwhelming. There were a lot of events going on, some at the same time as well. The suggestion I had from that was that maybe for every meeting, especially if it's related to the ALSs, we could have a one or two liner talking about the objective of this meeting and who is recommended to be there, so that it raises their attention beforehand and they know which are the ones that might be more suitable for them.

The third one was... I understand during our showcase that we had a lack of time and everything was quite pressed. They said they would have liked to present about themselves since they had the floor over there. So my suggestion to this is – especially for the ALSs who did recommend that they wanted to talk about themselves – I'm going to invite them to the upcoming APRALO calls and give them five or ten minutes at the end to talk about themselves; they'd be more than happy to come and do that.

The last one... Some positive feedback: all of them agreed that the fellowship in the early morning was a good idea because it was an orientation and a good way for them to rub shoulders with others and find out more about each other's ALS. The good thing is, I've got most of the ALSs know on personal IG chat, Skype and stuff, so it will be easier for me to communicate with them.

So I'll try to keep on reaching out with them and telling them about the calls and so on. And I have an Action Item from last time, which is about the calendar, which I'll be working with Staff to get that sorted as soon as possible, as well. So that's all from me. Thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you very much Pavan. Yes, the suggestions are really very great. I think that now, by knowing people in person, it's really easy to communicate with them, and your suggestions will bring more opportunities for all of us to communicate.

And I think also if ICANN ask you to put all your notes and suggestions in email, for all of the people who are not online or who were not available for this call, will go through and will be aware of what kind of suggestions and what kind of steps we are going to take.

PAVAN BUDHRANI: Sure, I'll do that. I'll put that down as an Action Item. Thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yeah. Thank you very much. Our next Agenda Item is preparation for Durban meeting. Pavan, we refer also to you. Please, Staff, can you tell us, do we have the time for APRALO monthly meetings already in the Agenda? And then we'll go back to Pavan to tell us what we are expected to do there.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, we do have the APRALO monthly meeting for Wednesday 17th and Wednesday [inaudible 16:00] and 9:00 am, so we'll meet to the [inaudible 16:04] Agenda basically today, to be able to send it for translation services.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Excellent. Great, thank you very much. Pavan?

PAVAN BUDHRANI: For the Durban meeting, basically I just replied to Silvia's email, and we had a draft Agenda sorted for that meeting, and Holly has replied to that and we're going to work on that and polish it up closer to the date of the Durban meeting. Apart from that, I don't really have any updates. I think Holly will be able to fill you in later, but the Agenda, I'll be working with Staff to get that sorted.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you very much, and thanks Silvia for the link. I think we still don't have Ali on the call, we're waiting for him, so Olivier, please, the floor is yours. You are in our next Agenda point: policy development. Please?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Siranush. Yes, I am next in the policy development. There is 15 minutes for this section but for the moment we are somehow in between things. The recently adopted ALAC statement that we have listed here, we had the proposed final 2013 Registrar Accreditation Agreement, that was possibly the important piece of work and that was sent and adopted.

We had the FY 14 Draft Operating Plan and Budget. That was also sent and voted on, etc. And the third recent one was the New gTLD Board Committee Consideration of GAC Safeguards Advice, and the ALAC released a small statement, just commenting on a handful of points, so that was voted on, etc.

In fact, there is something that is not shown currently on the listing after that. The statement or endorsement currently being developed, reviewed or voted on by the ALAC. I note that it's got a number of... Well, all of them here are listed with several people needing to confirm if statements are necessary. But there is one which is missing and that is a statement that we are currently voting on: the implementation of IDN top-level domains.

This is a statement which was drafted not in response of a public comment period – because, as you know, some statements are drafted in response to public comment period, some are not – some are just spontaneous statements, and this one is a spontaneous one that came out of the Internationalized Domain Name Working Group. Rinalia Abdul Rahim and Edmund Chung, both from APRALO, have been holding the pen on this, and the ALAC is currently voting on this.

So it's a bit too late to provide input from the RALO, but I hope that in the future there will be more input from the RALO on this type of statement. Now, if we look at each one of the statements currently being developed, or rather, under question, the first one is the gNSO structures charter amendment process.

As you know, Alan Greenberg was our gNSO liaison. It's a pity that this afternoon, or later on in the next 12 hours, we don't have the ALAC call because Alan Greenberg usually provides us with a full report on what's happening in the gNSO and what's happening in the gNSO Council. But we will find out soon.

I suspect, from the fact that this is a gNSO structures charter, it's really a very technical gNSO matter and I would suspect that Alan will probably tell us to refrain from commenting at this stage. The next one is the proposed renewal of the .org gTLD registry agreement, and in fact let's go faster. There are a number of gTLD registry agreements which are to be renewed – there's .org and if you look further down there is .info and .biz.

In the past, I know that it dealt with the renewal of the .com registry agreement. There were some points made by the ALAC. I'm not quite sure what the status is for .org, .info and .biz. Obviously there might be some hot issues associated with this and so we are again asking Alan Greenberg to provide us with some feedback on those three.

Next is the consultation on the source of policies and user instructions for Internet number resource requests. And the Technical Issues Working Group is going to let us know whether a statement is needed on this. Of course, as we know, policies and user instructions on Internet number resources request, this really has to do with the Address Supporting Organization, the ASO, and the whole process of the regional Internet registries, etc.

Next, the Thick WHOIS Initial Report and the gNSO policy development process – that's the gNSO PDP – part of the Thick WHOIS Initial Report. Again, Alan Greenberg is to confirm if a statement is necessary. I think I might also be asking Carlton Samuels. It does come up in the Thick WHOIS Initial Report. And it's good to have someone else comment whether a statement is necessary.

Next one is the Initial Report on the Protection of International Governmental Organization and International Non-Governmental Organization Identifiers in all gTLDs. This was a public comment that was triggered by a process, I think initially caused by the Red Cross and the International Olympic Committee, asking for a special protection. So gNSO has worked on this and this looks like the Initial Report from that gNSO Working Group. Evan Leibovitch will be confirming if a statement

is necessary on this. As we know, Evan has been following this quite closely.

Next is the implementation of the IDN variant top-level domains. Oh no, there you go, it's says "ALAC voting". I do apologize for having said we had forgotten this earlier. It's right hidden in the middle of this mass of text. ALAC voting, I've already touched on it.

Then finally the statement on the World Conference on International Telecommunication Outcomes. Olivier Crépin-Leblond is supposed to be drafting a statement. I'll be following up with him to try and find out what's going on with this because it's been a while. So now I open the floor for questions.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Olivier, thank you very much. As usual you presented everything in detail. Hong, you have a question please?

HONG XUE: It's not really a question, it's a comment. It is great to summarize all the policy development in our committee. Probably we need a third category that is ICANN's response to the ALAC's statement comments, [laughs] simultaneous intervention. [phone ringing] Somebody is calling me. ICANN Board is going to finally reveal ALAC's statement on TMCH and IDN Variants. That is very good. It's going to happen this week; that's pretty positive.

We're wondering what will happen but it does mean a positive step from ICANN that it does care about the comments from the At-Large community. But on the other hand, recently what I've heard is some strong feedback from different stakeholder groups that ICANN is doing something secretly to appoint another TMCH provider in certain communities.

This is very interesting. In our statement we strongly suggest that it should be a community-based solution, but we never asked ICANN to do this secretly. Transparency is very much the priority of both policy and implementation. So this is very interesting. What has ICANN done and what is happening behind the door? If this is really for the community solution, why can it not be disclosed?

I'm not speculating anything. It's only because recently on a call, on the 19th of June, many people asked the question. They received a commercial from one organization, publicly stating that they have received commitments from ICANN to appoint them as another TMCH provider. This is very interesting information. Okay, my observation back to you. I have to get that call. [laughs]

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Hong. Olivier, you have your hand raised?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Siranush and thank you Hong for this. I was not aware of the point that you've just raised with regards to another

Trademark Clearing House provider. Can we please follow up offline, afterwards, if you can just drop me an email or I'll drop you an email to remind you to let me know, because I'd certainly be interested.

And I'm saying this wearing yet another hat – the hat of the Accountability and Transparency Review Team. We were told everything at ICANN is transparent, so we need to find out how transparent this process is. So thanks for this.

Now, regarding Hong's other point of providing an update on the follow up, the response from ICANN to our statements. I think that's a very, very good point indeed and it just struck me that although I do sometimes – not often, but sometimes – receive responses from ICANN and sometimes we do notice the actual response, as in not in verbal or a written response, but an actual act of ICANN being able to amend its policies or implement things that we as a community have suggested.

It might be a good idea to actually have some kind of tracking of how effective we are and of the responses we're being given by ICANN. At the moment I can tell you that there is a lot more response these days to our statements than there used to be a while ago.

And this while ago can in some times be as recent as six to eight to ten months ago, so I'm quite pleased to be able to announce that things are improving and I hope they will continue improving. But the point that Hong made about being able to have a follow up on what has been sent is very well taken. Thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you very much and I think Hong is in full agreement with what you have said. Hong, you have your hand up? No, no. You just put your hand up that you are in agreement. Thank you. I think we can come back to the point of our Nomination Committee selection process. Gunela, are you available now to talk?

I think she is on mute maybe. Can we unmute here, Silvia?

SILVIA VIVANCO: She is typing. I will see if she has some problem.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Can we call...? Is Gunela only on Adobe or is she on call as well? Yes, maybe we can dial out to Gunela? While we are doing that – thank you Julia – Cheryl, is there anything we want to add for this call? We are going back to the Nominating Committee point.

CHERYL LANGDON ORR: Thank you Siranush. Yes, there is in fact. I'm speaking very much as the assumed Chair for next year's Nominating Committee and the Regional Representation that is sent from the ALAC from our region, will be working directly with me of course, in this future role. I think it's important to recognize – and Siranush would have noted in her two years, a number of changes to ensure that the Nominating Committee is indeed more transparent and now more accountable to the community.

So we've had a number of public meetings. We've all continued to be more and more public in the next 12 months. It will mean like things like attendance records of the representation at the ALAC and all the other stakeholder's end will be becoming public.

This year Siranush and all of the other Nominating Committee Members are asked to do what's called a 360 Review. It is a peer review process where they are, in terms of both myself as Chair Elect and of [Eurio? 31:18] as the current Chair for this year, to answer a number of questions about us and our performance and how well we do or do not operate. And each of them will be interviewed by an independent third party who does these peer reviews all the time.

So the Board Governance Committee and future NomComs will have the very beginning of a wealth of material on what makes a good Chair and what will improve Chairing in the future. But we would expect that by next year, or certainly the year after, we will also be peer reviewing the Nominating Committee Members.

This will be an additional thing that the NomCom Members will be exposing themselves for, but the NomCom Members are acting in possibly one of the most important capacities in our organization. And I'm sure that the community – and I hope that Olivier, wearing his Accountability and Transparency Review Team hat – [feedback 32:25] dialed.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: I think there is some echo on the phone?

CHERYL LANGDON ORR: Yes, I've muted the speakers.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay, Cheryl, please?

CHERYL LANGDON ORR: Over to you Gunela.

GUNELA ASTBRINK: Can I speak now?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Gunela please, Cheryl is speaking about Nominating Committee processes now and updating us. Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON ORR: To be honest Siranush, I'm happy with what I've said. I think if we move to Gunela now and Ali, if you could join us, that would be the best.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay. Thank you Cheryl. Just a couple of updates of where we now with the process with current selections. Now we are doing... As I have sent

you the report card for June, we are doing weekly calls and we are now in the process already for shortlisting of candidates. So I think we really have a very difficult job ahead of us. We have had a good bunch of people applying.

I'm also happy to announce again that we have the 110 applications for this year, which is really... A good applause to the outreach team for their great job on this. So I think that by Durban we will have already set the final process for this election and we'll come up with the details. Thank you, and Gunela, the floor is yours, please.

GUNELA ASTBRINK: Thank you very much Siranush, and my apologies before for the problems with the audio. I'm assuming that I can be heard now?

ALL: Yes.

GUNELA ASTBRINK: All right. Well, first of all, thank you very much for the nomination for me. I'd like to just speak a little bit about my background that could be relevant to this. Firstly, I have been on the ISOC NomCom in 2012, so while the processes might be different than a number of applicants, certainly are different.

I'm aware of the general process; the importance of having networked internationally and knowing various people and understanding the

recruitment process, the selection process based on the nominees of the ICANN Board; obviously needing people who are skilled, understanding the Internet community and having strategic and policy expertise.

And as is stated in the words of ICANN: we need leaders of a higher [color? 35:48] and capability to place public interest ahead of any particular interests. And that is of course very, very important. I've also referenced the [guidance for? 35:58] for ICANN, the NomCom in 2011 for a particular candidate, so again I saw the process from that side. And I've been a Director of ISOC Australia, an ALS to APRALO, together with of course Holly and Cheryl.

And I've been participating in ICANN processes over a number of years. And actually, also from the point of view from another aspect of ICANN, I was on the management committee to investigate applying for a New gTLD. This was one called .love; it was based on a philanthropic model, so the income received could be used to support NGOs internationally on the title goals like poverty reduction and improving education opportunities.

We didn't go ahead with that bid but we certainly noted a lot of the ICANN processes at that time. And I should also say that I've been participating at global IGFs, regional IGFs... I was on the Organizing Committee of the Australian IGF and I was a co-organizer of the panel at the Australian IGF last year. And now I'm the NSG of the Asia Pacific regional IGF Planning Committee.

So I have a rounded background, obviously as Siranush and Cheryl and Olivier know, my particular interest is disability and I Chair an Accessibility and Disability [SIG? 38:05] and I've presented workshops for ISOC leaders at a workshop in Sri Lanka in 2011 and presented at a number of [inaudible 38:18]. I've also liaised with the Pacific Island's Chapter of ISOC in regard to disability and other general issues and have been participating at the [Takanans? 38:33] for the last five years.

So that's a broad range of background but I'm happy to take any questions.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Gunela for that excellent presentation. Are there any questions for Gunela? No questions. I guess at this point, Staff, can we call back to Ali to see if he can join ten minutes earlier than he mentioned? Just for us to know if he is available. Before that, are there any questions? We have only point #8 left for our Agenda, (A) or (B). So is there anything we've left for the discussion? Yes, thank you Silvia?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Perhaps it is possible that we could start the main features to be discussed during the APRALO monthly meeting in Durban? Since we have... I wondered if that was possible for you?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yeah, I think we will work on the Agenda for our APRALO meeting in Durban and we'll come back with that Agenda for you to share with others. Maureen has just joined the call. Thank you Maureen for joining us. Cheryl, do you want to say anything related to Nominating Committee process, because while we are waiting for Staff to call Ali...?

CHERYL LANGDON ORR: Thank you Siranush. I'm not sure we need to discuss the Nominating Committee process too much more, in as much as I think the ALAC has some excellent applicants to look at and I would be more than comfortable with anyone that puts themselves forward, proving they're going to be able to make themselves absolutely available.

And having experienced the outreach that everyone in the region can do when we ask them to, I would also hope that it's not just the voting members who serve on the Nominating Committee, but the At-Large structures themselves who might look to the talent and high level individuals that they may have access to locally, to encourage them to put in a statement of interest in next year's outreach process.

I certainly think we do need the community to also take a role in putting forward quality candidates. And I now have managed to fill a bus long enough for Ali to join the call, so my work is done yet again! [laughter]

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Ali?

ALI ALMESHAL: Yes, hello?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: We've just had the floor from Gunela, who presented her experience. Can you say a couple of words about yourself and why you applied for self-nominated for this really important position? The floor is yours Ali.

ALI ALMESHAL: Thanks a lot and sorry for joining late, because as I explained previously it is an early time in Bahrain and we have just started our working hours so it was a bit difficult to just leave my work and start with you. So I have some time now. Anyway, not to make it long.

Okay, my name is Ali AlMeshal, I am a Board Member of Bahrain Internet Society, which is the Bahrain Chapter of ISOC, and I am also the Director of Strategic Alliances in the Chapter. I have been in this field, as an IT and technicalities for around 20 years. I used to be Head of IT for the bank I am working for. Actually, my official work where the money comes in is with the bank. So I used to be Head of IT.

My journey in IT started from technicalities until I got ahead and I manage a number of different projects. The biggest one is establishing a new company. I am considered the founder for that company. It is a third-party company that we own 75% of and we have a technical arm

for that. For the last five years I have been given the opportunity to be promoted to a business position, which is more or less IT related.

I'm now running the business of e-commerce and e-business and added value services for merchants and clients locally and internationally. I have a Virtual Degree in Business Information Systems and a Master Degree in Business Administration from New York Institute of Technology.

These are on the work – let's say – frame. On a personal level as well, I am a public speaker when it comes to the e-commerce business of fraud, security and hacking. I have participated in more than 20 events, workshops; either conducting workshops or just giving a speech in forums in the Gulf, in the Middle East and in some Asian countries.

I also participate in some social media events. I have been selected for two years as a jury for Bahrain Excellence Award, so we were looking after the Internet services provided for a number of companies here in Bahrain. So I was part of that jury.

I have been selected for two years as well to be a mentor and a jury for a program that we are... It's called [Bahrain? 45:22] Innovation for [inaudible 45:23]. So we are getting students from universities in the summer, taking them to a program, mentoring them to bring in innovative ideas.

I have started my work with ICANN just last year and this is thanks to Baher. Baher Asmet is the VP of this region who highlighted that and he

took us through so we can become an At-Large Member. I'm the one who had worked on that from A-Z until we get registered. So I started my participation in Prague and then Toronto and Fiji was the last one. Two of them was a FILO and the third was as an At-Large Member.

Why am I interested in this? This is the way we learn. This is the learning curve. We started once we were a FILO. We came blind. We knew nothing about ICANN until the second meeting. Our [items? 46:26] on what we can do. On the third it was more clear – as I stated in the last meeting when we were there in Beijing – more clear.

And I'm now part of the Middle East Strategy Working Group and we have done an excellent achievement in that. And the final [limitation of man? 46:49] will be presented in Durban. Unfortunately I will not be there but the team will be presenting that to the community.

I'm part of the Building Capacity Working Group of At-Large as well. So being part of NomCom... The more you get involved in different areas of ICANN, the more experience you get and the more you can serve the whole objective of being part of ICANN. So whenever I get the position to start, it's a learning curve. Hello?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yes, Ali, we hear you.

ALI ALMESHAL: Right. I think that's it, in a brief. I don't want to take up too much time.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Ali. Thank you for making this call. You also received a really huge support from APRALO ALSs and I think we have really two strong candidates for NomCom in Gunela and Ali. Ali, just for your to know the process, Cheryl presented this: there will be no actual voting process for this, but APRALO Leadership will come up with the name. And thank you for making it possible to present yourself for the people here.

I think that we will discuss this internally already with the Leadership and we'll come up with the name by July 12th. Am I right, Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON ORR: No quite. Cheryl here. Let me be really clear on what needs to happen and the Action Item will be for Pavan and you, as you're acting in your Vice Chair capacity, or Pavan and Holly, if she's okay for later today. They need to send both names, Gunela and Ali to the ALAC. The Nominating Committee Regional Representative, the voting position – and as you know, you've done that for two years; it's a very big job and it's a very demanding job.

The ALAC, the At-Large Advisory Committee, makes that appointment. All we do is put forward some names, if we have them. And we have two excellent names here, two excellent candidates. We put them forward for their consideration. Let me warn us all though: ALAC has, in the past, appointed someone to represent a region – not ours, but another region, who was not on the regional list.

So it is possible that the ALAC could appoint someone that we have not put forward, which is why there is little point for us to make a vote when in fact it is purely an ALAC decision. What we are doing is putting forward candidates who are capable and who we believe and trust in. So those names need to go forward to the ALAC.

If you wanted to prioritize them, and some regions do, that's fine also, but I've served on the ALAC long enough to know that prioritization makes little, if any, difference. ALAC will make its own valued judgments. So I propose that simply both names go through from Pavan on behalf of the APRALO Leadership to Olivier. And it needs to be by the close of business 25th July [sic] UTC – so that is some 12-15 hours away. Thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you. And thank you Silvia for putting the timeframe for this in the chat room. Thank you for clarification Cheryl. Olivier, you have the floor?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Siranush. I just got the shock of my life. I was just told that 25th July 2013 was in 12 hours. Of course I think Cheryl meant June, yes. Cheryl, thank you for this and there is one thing which both candidates might be receiving an email from me or from anyone on the ALAC asking for the questions.

At this moment, as Cheryl mentioned, it is the ALAC that makes all the decisions. So obviously it will be important if any ALAC Members have any further questions, they will be emailing the candidates and of course might be asking other candidates as well.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Olivier. So we are in the process of sending the names to ALAC for everyone to know the process, and we'll see the results coming up soon. Is there anyone who would like to say something related to this? If not, I would like to thank everyone for being able to participate in this call and welcome all of you in Durban.

CHERYL LANGDON ORR: Thank you Siranush. As you have yet to actually take on the mantle of Vice Chair, so you're Vice Chair Elective at the moment, I think you did a fabulous job of jumping in without any warning when you dialed in and discovered that Holly wasn't going to be able to make the call. And I just want to thank you from our point of view, for running a very efficient and effective meeting. It has been a pleasure.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you very much Cheryl. And it's a pleasure to have you all here. Thank you very much. Thank you Staff for making everyone... We can desire applicable for this call. Thank you all and see you all soon.

PAVAN BUDHRANI: Thanks a lot Siranush. Bye.

ALL: Bye bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPT]