
GISELLA GRUBER: I'd like to welcome everyone on today's At-Large Regional Secretariat's meeting on Tuesday, 11th March 15:00 UTC. On today's call we have Wolf Ludwig, Siranush Vardanyan, Yuliya Morenets, Syvlia Herlein Leite, Pavan Budhrani, and Glenn McKnight is joining us shortly. We have apologies noted from Holly Raiche and Olivier Crépin-Leblond.

From staff we have Silvia Vivanco and myself, Gisella Gruber. Heidi Ullrich will be joining us shortly. If I could also please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Gisella. Good morning, good evening and good afternoon everyone. From my part of the world it's good evening, already. I welcome all of you to this call. This will be a very brief call, I hope, related to our meeting in Singapore. We'll brief you on a couple of stuff we are going to do in Singapore.

The first Agenda Item is the purpose of this meeting, which is first of all to talk about the ALT and Secretariat's breakfast, which is going to be on Wednesday, 26th, from 7:00 until 8:00 Singapore time. The issue we'd like to discuss is how we can improve RALOs' input for the [inaudible 01:49] development of statements, and issues or concerns or [inaudible] improvement we can raise to discuss during that meeting.

It's some kind of brainstorming call, and if there's anyone who has any suggestions on that, and would like to discuss it, please raise your hand and let's find out what we're going to discuss in Singapore. Any

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

suggestions? I see from NARALO, Garth has also joined the call. Glenn is here already, so we've all the RALOs here except AFRALO.

Actually, this policy development process... We are all aware of this process and how this input can be done from the RALO, but the main purpose is how to improve that process and how RALOs can give more input to this process and policy development in general. I see no suggestions from any RALO for this topic to be discussed.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Siranush? Welcome everyone. I just wanted to ask you what you said, that this is an opportunity for you also to think about what would be areas of improvement, in terms of participation of ALSes in the policy statement.

We see that normally we have penholders that are the same people drafting, because probably they have knowledge of technical issues. What could we do from the staff perspective also, to help you become more knowledgeable about some issues? Are there any suggestions for us, staff, to help you participate more fully? That would also be very appreciated, from our point of view. Thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Thank you Silvia. We have two people who've raised their hands. Glenn? You had the point that your question was on the policy statement. There is actually no policy statement. We are speaking about general policy statements, policy development process in At-

Large. There is nothing to be reviewed now. We're speaking in general about the process.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay. Hi. I know you're talking in general, but what is our point of reference for our scope? This is my first call on the Secretariat's teleconference calls. I need some kind of reference point. How many calls have been done in the past? What has been accomplished? Where do you want to go with these calls? I just need to get some scope of why we're doing this call and how relevant it is. Thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Thank you Glenn. At the beginning of this call I said that the purpose of this meeting is to get us all together in this call to discuss what we want to raise during the ALT RALO Secretariats' breakfast meeting; what kind of difficulties or challenges RALOs have in the way [inaudible 06:23] and ALT people can help us to improve that. This is merely the general purpose of this meeting. Garth, you have the floor.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you. Thank you for running this call Siranush. It's good to hear your voice.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

One thing we've really been beating the drum about – and many people on this call are aware of it – are the access for the disabled. I think everyone who we've spoken to about this feels this is very important as well. I believe that this fits into the general ideas of extending the Internet to everybody – to really getting everybody on and getting everybody on with equal access.

I feel that the disabled issue can fall under this umbrella. As a second item, I've actually been reaching out directly to each one of our At-Large structures within NARALO, to ask them what their concerns are. I've been soliciting directly from our community to find out what they want to see in the agenda. I don't feel that there's enough reach-back for inreach into our region, to find out what the ALSes want to hear and what they want to see happen at the ICANN meetings.

As somebody mentioned before, there does seem to be a repetition of the same people involved in the same things, and of course we understand that it's because they've become expert in that. It's hard to find experts within the volunteer community. I want to find out what the ALSes are thinking too. Thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Thank you Garth. Excellent issues raised. In relation to the first topic on accessibility and disability issues... Just to brief you... You probably already know that on Monday in Singapore we're having this accessibility [first? 08:35] meeting on that issue, and with [inaudible] within APRALO to invite two organizations who are dealing with disability issues and working in Singapore. They're locally based.

We invited them to come and we're now in the process of clarifying some issues with the persons who'll be there [inaudible 09:00]. We're trying to see if there is any capacity for language sign... For him or her – I don't know if it's male or female – to be able... We are in the process of clarification, and hopefully these two organizations will come and this will at least be the starting point for the accessibility issue and how to improve that area for the future ICANN meetings.

That's one topic I think that we will be discussing on Monday, and as a result of it, this may be raised also during our ALT morning breakfast, to think what the outcome of that meeting is and how we can improve. Yes, Yuliya?

YULIYA MORENETS:

Hello, good afternoon, good morning or good evening everybody. I wanted to just speak on what was just discussed about the accessibility issues and access for disabled people. Now I will speak not on behalf of EURALO but in a personal capacity. I think we also have to underline and raise the issue – not only concerning disabled people but vulnerable people in general.

I underlined that during the last meeting in Buenos Aires, and I think it was the group created on this issue. I wanted just to be sure that we will speak also about other marginalized groups. I do believe that the access for disabled people is very important, but I wanted to underline that there are other marginalized groups as well. I also wanted to thank Silvia for this proposal on capacity building and possible support.

For example, this will be my second meeting only, so I think this is something very important. Thank you so much Silvia. Thanks.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Yuliya. I'd just like to ask staff to take note on what kind of topics we're going to discuss. Accessibility will be one of them. The second point, which Garth also raised, is what ALT and staff is expecting from us. I think [inaudible 11:42] metrics, and if you haven't seen... Maureen, our ALT Member from APRALO, posted her report based on metrics, to estimate what she did during the month.

This can be some kind of model for others also, to measure the participation. This is not only for ALT Members but also for [inaudible 12:12], for any ALS Member who's trying to input into any area, and [inaudible] volunteer work to be supported by all of us, for At-Large. Topic three – Glenn, you [inaudible 12:35] and recruitment of new ALSes. Yes, this can be outreach; how to increase and improve outreach and improve participation from ALSes. Good topic to raise.

Silvia is posting in the chat room that because of capacity building we need everybody to be able to participate in ICANN Academy. I think that the [private space? 13:07] ICANN Academy showed that it was quite successful, I hope. It's for staff to [realize? 13:15] everybody [inaudible] something, from ALT Members and Secretariats, will be able to be a part of this ICANN Academy.

I think this capacity building will also be a talking point for our ATLAS II Summit in London, to which all ALSes will come to. Good start. Garth,

can't you hear me? I will try to speak louder. I'm sorry Garth, it's probably the line to Armenia. Glenn, you have your hand raised?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: What the problem is isn't volume. The quality of your voice is the issue. There's very much of an echo. It sounds like you're in a hollow room. That's why it's difficult. I'd suggest speaking quite a bit slower. It may improve the sound quality.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay. I just tried to close the room so no one could disturb me. I'm sorry for the quality. Staff, can you help?

GISELLA GRUBER: Siranush? Sorry to interrupt. Would you like us to quickly dial out to you again to see if your line is any better?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Please, if you can. If this will make the line better then I'm happy.

GISELLA GRUBER: Let's try it. If you can put the phone down Adigo will call you straight back. Thank you very much and apologies to everyone for the inconvenience.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you. Hello, can you hear me now? Is it better?

GISELLA GRUBER: There's still an echo.

SILVIA VIVANCO: We hear an echo.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay, let's move forward. I will try to talk slowly. My idea is we come to an agreement that there are three main topics we want to discuss during that morning breakfast. Let's move to another Agenda Item, which is the RALO Secretariats, ATLAS II and Capacity Building meeting in Singapore. Do you all know that we have this joint meeting on Wednesday, March 26th?

There will be an introduction and update from ATLAS II Leaders; Eduardo Diaz and Tijani Ben Jemaa. We'll also cover the Capacity Building Program adoption, and I think Tijani will speak on that issue. You may have seen... For me not to go through the whole Agenda, you may have seen the Agenda for that meeting. I'm posting the link here.

There will be a couple of discussions for us to touch upon related to capacity building and related to ALS representation, and to prepare them for ATLAS II. So all our [unclear 17:50] we have a lot of work to do to make sure that all ALSes from their region are ready for ATLAS II. Some discussions will be taking place during this Wednesday 26th joint ATLAS II Capacity Building and Regional Secretariats meeting.

The next Agenda Item is what we're going to do in Singapore on the [out? 18:22] APRALO. Hello? Do you hear me? Okay. Glenn, you have your hand raised. Is this a new one or is it from previously?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

It's from previous, it was before you came back on. I believe someone brought up the issue of the ICANN Academy, and I just wanted to emphasize that we brought this issue up to staff, that new secretariats and new chairs should have training in the ICANN Academy. That's been missing in who gets trained in the ICANN Academy. I just want to bring it up as a topic, that it's the actual training and orientation of the new appointees at one of the ICANN meetings.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Thank you Glenn. Good point. We touched upon this, and yes, the [inaudible 19:40] information in our topics of discussion. So yes, I completely agree that there is a need for new people taking the leadership roles to [pass?] this Capacity Building Academy... To be a part of this Academy, and [pass?] this training and orientation.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Siranush? On that point – thank you Glenn, that's a really good point – I do suggest that you bring that point up to the Academy Working Group meeting that's going to be held on Wednesday morning. I think it's around 10:30 or 11:00, something like that. They're going to be discussing the formation of the [inaudible 20:25] – the one that's going

to be taking place in Los Angeles in October. That would be an opportune time to bring that up.

Secondly, Glenn, is that a lot of people do think that it should only be for new people, while Sandra and some other people on the Academy think that it's a combination of new people, new leaders, as well as existing, current leaders, who can then just pass on that information. Just to let you know that's some of the thinking behind the current format. Thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Excellent Heidi, thank you very much. Just to let everyone know, the Academy Working Group session will be on Wednesday, from 11:00 to 12:00, right before the Joint ATLAS II Capacity Building and Regional Secretariats meeting. We will discuss this issue there as well. Thank you very much. Good point.

Coming back to the APRALO organized event in Singapore, I would like to let you know that on Monday 24th, APRALO is organizing an At-Large roundtable on registration directory services, now and in the future. There will be two main topics discussed. One is privacy proxy issues, where we'll have several speakers and speak about what accreditation means, who should be covered, what should be required and should requirements be different for privacy and proxy services.

The second topic will be a roundtable discussion; Expert Working Group on WHOIS. We will have Carlton Samuels as moderator and several speakers as well during that session. This will be on Monday, as I said. Thank you Silvia for posting that on the Agenda. Also, as all of you know,

[Google? 22:36] held the APRALO showcase, this time not on Monday but on Wednesday, from 6:00 until 8:00 Singapore time. Everybody's welcome to be there.

We'll have a lot of fun and interesting stuff for you. Also, please don't forget about wearing something red, as this is the color of APRALO. These are two main events organized by APRALO and you are all welcome to participate there. Would anyone like to...? Yes, Silvia? The LACRALO color is green. We all enjoyed that but now we have red. Please have something red.

Any questions related to that? Don't forget that due to agenda changes, the gala dinner will be on Monday, as you may already know, and the showcase will be on Wednesday. Any questions? Staff, do we have anything to discuss on policy development process? Any additional input from your side at this point?

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Yes. Siranush, what I said at the beginning – think about bringing some ideas or proposals on how to get those ALSes, who are perhaps not as involved as we would like them to be, in the policy development process, and how they could become more knowledgeable and participate more actively in drafting statements and collaborating more.

That would be very useful for us. Also, think how we can improve our service to all of you from our staff point of view. That would be my contribution. Thanks.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Silvia. I think we already raised this topic – to raise participation and do more outreach for our ALSes to be more active. That’s one of the topics of discussion, with ALT Members as well and with staff as well. But this is also for us [in truth? 25:20], to think about before coming to that meeting – so how we, as RALO Secretariats and RALO Leaders – think how to improve that process.

From my experience I should say that it’s really very difficult to make them active, especially those who are not volunteering in any group. I had a really difficult time encouraging them to participate in the ATLAS II Working Group, and this is a really challenging issue. This is the task that we should discuss and find out the best way to improve that. I see in the chat room the colors raised, so I know we’ll have really good red representation there.

I agree with Silvia, that this is a very important issue; how we can motivate ALSes. It’s not just for them to become a Member and that’s it – it’s an issue of them to provide input and to volunteer. So yes, for us, an Action Item for the upcoming meeting in Singapore will be to think about what kind of ideas, what kind of steps, we should take into consideration for making more representative participation from ALSes.

Okay, is there anything else you’d like to raise during this call? We covered the Agenda and nothing more is urgent for now, unless anyone has... Evan?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Thank you very much. As a matter of introduction my name is Evan Leibovitch. For history I was the first Chair of NARALO. I currently serve

on the ALAC, and as most of you know by now, I'm one of the people running for seat 15. That's not meant itself as a campaign plug. However, I wanted to draw attention to the fact that EURALO made a solicitation to the candidates and asked some questions that were made specific to the region.

I just wanted to make it clear to all of the other regions that if you've got questions for the candidates, please send them in. Please make sure that the candidates know what your concerns are, and if you have some specific questions please raise them. There's going to be a week before the voting starts, so I really encourage everybody to encourage your ALSes.

Go to the Wiki, have a look at the various platforms, the various comments, and if you have questions for the candidates you can [inaudible 28:38] via the Wiki. Actually, I'm not sure. The Wiki may be closing soon, but you're welcome to do it through the mailing lists. I, and most of the other candidates, are available through Skype. I encourage you to get involved.

This is a very, very important selection. This is right at the top level of ICANN, so I encourage you to get involved. I encourage you to get your ALSes involved, and regardless what method you have within your RALO of the extent to which the ALSes may direct the voters, but I really would like you to encourage the ALSes and the rest of your communities to please [inaudible 29:22] what's going on and choose the right person.

I have my own bias in that direction, but what's most important is that you get involved, that you're aware of what the candidates stand for and that you get involved in the process. Thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Evan. This is really very important and we're in a very important stage of thinking about the selection. Thank you for putting this out as a reminder for all of us. I think as an Action Item we can put that all RALO secretariats or chairs can send reminders through our mailing list, to everyone, to show the online space or Wiki space where they can ask questions to our candidates.

Having this chance now that Evan is here, I wish all success to all our five candidates. You're really all awesome. Thank you Evan for this input. Glenn, please?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: A couple of things that I want to bring up to be added to the Agenda – over the last couple of years I've been taking a lot of video and a lot of photos, but we brought this up in our Technology Taskforce, and Dev and I looked at a product called Copy. I know usually afterwards somebody calls me and says, "Can you send me the picture?"

After taking hundreds, if not thousands of pictures, it's not a practical thing to do. But because of my efforts we've gotten quite a bit of documentation that is in my hard drive and on my computers. It's not shared. It's a lot of work to actually upload again, so we need to come up with a strategy. I think the Secretariats should all take responsibility

for their videos and photos, for legacy purposes. I'm not sure on the solution for this, but I just wanted to remark on that issue.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Glenn. I think this is a topic for discussion also with staff; how technically we can solve... Maybe there will be a general space where all this stuff... I know you have very important videos and documentation of all the events, which you were a part of. Maybe the solution is to have a space to post all of this stuff. Here we'll need staff to help us with that, so probably this will be another issue to discuss during the Secretariat meeting. Staff will also be present there.

Thank you for raising that. Garth, you have the floor.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you so much Madame Chair. I have two advertisements. One is that we're going to have a session – Evan is also going to participate in it – on TOR and alternate DNS. This is a very complex subject, which hasn't really been part of the ICANN Panels and really should be. If anybody needs any kind of information or summary on what we're going to be talking about, feel free to contact me directly.

The other item I wanted to talk about is some research that I'm going to be releasing soon. I'm going to be sending it directly to ALAC and to the Secretariats and the RALO Chairs. It concerns enforcement of the UDRP by ICANN. We've found some very disturbing cases where the UDRP has not been enforced, and these cases directly impacted consumers. I'm going to be sharing that with everybody later today. Thanks a lot.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you very much Garth. Please send this information to the list and we'll see how we can make input to that. Glenn posted that this is a good example of one of our past Members, who passed away... Okay, he's talking about uploading content, so we don't miss even those who are no longer with us, to keep that memory with all of us. Thank you Garth and thank you Glenn for this input. Any other issue to be discussed during this call for now?

I see agreement from Garth as well, and for Glenn. For now that's all we want to share during this call. I'd like to wish all of you safe trips to Singapore, and to welcome you in the Asia Pacific region. I'm looking forward to seeing you all there.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you. Have a great flight everyone. Bye-bye.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you very much for you participation. See you soon. Bye.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you all. Good travels. See you soon. Bye-bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPT]
