
GISELLA GRUBER:

We'll get the recording started now. Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone on today's At Large Summit II Cross RALO organizing group call on Wednesday the 12th of February, 17:00 UTC. We have Eduardo Diaz, Olivier Crepin-Leblond, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Darlene Thompson, Wolf Ludwig, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Maureen Hilyard, and Glenn McKnight.

Apologies noted from Baudouin Shombe. From staff we have Silvia Vivanco, Carlos Reyes, and myself, Gisella Gruber. And I hope I haven't left anyone off the participants list. And if I can also please remind everyone to state their names for transcript purposes. Thank you. Over to you Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you everybody, and welcome to the newcomers to the second call. Darlene and Maureen are the two additions on today's call. Just to give the two newcomers a little bit of background, we had a much longer agenda last call two weeks ago. We've narrowed it down. There was quite a bit of discussion on the naming convention for this forthcoming event.

So the item one in our discussion today is to finalize this naming convention. And I posted to everyone to add to the list, and I noticed that Johnny added as well. So if we can start a discussion on finalizing the name, what I've posted is a few suggestions that came out of the discussion, partly from emails from Wolf and our discussion as a whole. So number one was, ATLAS II Evening of Celebration.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

Number two is At Large Community Celebration. Number three, ATLAS Mix and Mingle with At Large. And the one that came in just today, was from Tijani, was At Large Get Together. So I'd like to open it to the floor for any additional items to add to the list, and then we can shortlist it, and have a quick vote on the naming.

So I'll turn it to anyone. So who would like to speak? Okay. Tijani please.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you Glenn. I would like to say that what I added today is something that was proposed last meeting, perhaps you missed it. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you. Okay. Anyone else? I notice that Eduardo has voted for number one, so what don't we go... If there are no other suggestions, let's just go through since Eduardo has already suggested his vote. So is there anyone, by showing – clicking on your agree for number one? So if we can have everyone vote on the first item, it's called, ATLAS II Evening of Celebration.

So Tijani can you put your hand down and use the agree or disagree?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

It's a comment before I vote.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Oh, okay, sorry. Go ahead Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay thank you. I think that is fine. We decided we will not do it as a celebration because what will we celebrate finally? So people's head, it was my position, it was the position of some people on the call, they say it was... What to celebrate? So it is an observation, that's all.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. I'm sorry. It's Glenn again. I went to the At Large list as well asking for feedback from the community as well as by email. The word celebration did come up within the community, that's why it's on the list. But again, this is our group. We're empowered with the naming convention.

So Tijani and Wolf have both expressed an issue on the word celebration. For the sake of moving this quickly, can we have a vote on number one? Who is in favor of number one? And I did get one in the text box, Eduardo.

WOLF LUDWIG: Please, Glenn, I raised my hand.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Oh, sorry. It doesn't show it in the – okay. You're up there. Okay Wolf, go ahead.

WOLF LUDWIG:

Okay, thank you. It's Wolf Ludwig for the record. Before we start any voting procedure, I posted the question in the chat room, why earlier options and suggestions. The list is here by now, if we are going to make any decisions. I recall at our last call we had options like exhibition. We had options like At Large Fair, etc.

So we had other options, and now it is refused to list, and I do not understand why.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay. It's Glenn in response. I just put this list up based on other people's comments. I didn't limit the list to the ones that are there, as you noticed. Tijani added number four. It's not limited to that list. Wolf, please add your suggestion. We're looking to have consensus on the name. I'm not sold on one name or another, I just want us, get from the community their suggestion on the naming convention.

So, Wolf go ahead. What name do you suggest for number five? Wolf, are you there? Oh, I think he's typing. So it looks like we're getting some response back on the word celebration, and again let's come up with a term here. I don't want to belabor the entire hour just on the naming convention. So can we get a consensus on this name as we can move forward?

So, I think the only person so far, and Eduardo did you want to say anything because you voted for number one? Eduardo go ahead.

EDUARDO DIAZ: This is Eduardo for the record. I didn't see Wolf Ludwig proposal there, and you know, the [fair] of opportunities like – I like that one too, for a large exhibition like the one that is happening now. But once you had those too because I tend to understand the word celebration [?], you know, since we [?] list that we have there, that's it.

But I think we should add to what Wolf is putting in the chat as other ones for consideration. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Great. Anyone else? Okay. Just for those who are not on the Adobe Connect, Wolf has added two additional ones. Number five is A Fair of Opportunities, and number six is At Large Exhibitions. So we have two additional names as well. And I believe, Dev, you were going to say something?

Not sure if he is connected by phone. He is typing in something. No, okay. Dev has nothing to say. All right. So we have now six in our roster. So can we settle on...

EDUARDO DIAZ: Glenn, this is Eduardo. I have another comment please.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, go ahead.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. Like Wolf, a Fair of Opportunities, but I will add before, as far as name, ATLAS II Fair of Opportunities would be the name [?] ...but, you know, I'm adding to it. I don't know if that is something that will be acceptable. I don't know. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you. Maureen, you have something to say on this?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you Glenn. This is Maureen for the record. I know I'm new to this conversation, and I guess it's sort of like, for me, I'm trying to feel like, just get an idea first of all, what is actually going to happen? It's obviously not a celebration. Is it a mix and mingle? Is it just an ordinary get together?

What are we actually trying to achieve in this actual event? I mean, it's the whole ATLAS [?]. So I think it's sort of like, if we could just [?] those key [?] and get an appropriate name? But I do think it's community, At Large community [?]...

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you Maureen. This is Glenn for the record. Last week there was a lot of reaction to the term showcase, which has been historically the term that has been used, and the majority discussed that we really didn't think it was an appropriate term. It was more of a mix and mingle type of environment, more of a networking opportunity.

Less, you know, a roster of speakers. So and that's why, I think at that time, why terms like celebration was emphasized. So, yeah, the onus of this is to really get to know other ALSs. What their best practices are, get to know them a little bit better, and actually have a really great social event.

So that was my feeling from our call last week. Eduardo, can you elaborate on that? I think it was your suggestion as well as Wolf's.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I'm sorry. I was typing in the chat. I didn't hear what you were saying. Can you repeat that? Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: What I was saying, was our call last week, when you try to get a scope of a project, what is our purpose evening event? Bringing ALSs and our wider community together. We believe that it was particularly an event that was to get to know each other, more of a social focus rather than – and more of a social networking process. And I think you were one of the champions for that concept Eduardo. So do you recall that?

EDUARDO DIAZ: I recall that. It's Eduardo for the record. I think we had that conversation about two weeks ago, two or three weeks ago that, you know, we want something there. More than having people talking, or having presentations, to have something very small, welcome, this and that. And then have the whole thing being a social thing for networking,

and if the RALOs wanted to show [?] and show they do in their RALO, [?]
then you would have that too. That is the stuff we talked about.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay.

EDUARDO DIAZ: That in call. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you. Tijani back to you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, thank you. Thank you Glenn. Tijani speaking. I'd like to say that last week we got rid of showcase because we didn't want it to be like the other showcase we did before. But if we come back to exhibition, it is not an exhibition, it is more a showcase of the ALSs. So I think that showcase is better than exhibition, that's why I don't like exhibition.

Now, a general comment on the name. I think it must be [?], not precise because it will be, as you said Glenn, it will be more networking and talk together, talk to each other, and know each other better than speeches and official things. So we need something that gives a good image, but that is not very precise.

If we say opportunities, what does that mean? We have to find something where we cannot fix things. It must be very broad, and that's why I proposed get together. It's one proposal we can have

better, we can have more, but I think we don't have to have any precise name for this event. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Olivier, you want to say something?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thanks very much Glenn. It's Olivier speaking. So, I think that the word fair, which is actually spelled F-A-I-R, probably encompasses all of the different things that we would like this event to be. I'm looking at the dictionary at the moment, and it is quite a wide term, from a gathering held at a specified time and place for the buying and selling of goods and market, to an exhibition.

An exhibition tends to inform people about a product or a business opportunity, an event, usually for the benefit of a charity or a public institution, including entertainment. The sale of goods, a bizarre. It's got very, very wide range of things, and it's not as targeted as an exhibition or as a showcase, as such. So I would recommend the word fair. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Thank you so much. I see lots of people are debating certain issues on the chat. And opportunities is something that Wolf has asked that no one has contested. Is there anyone that wants to promote the term opportunities or put it to bed? Maybe I'll turn to Wolf. Wolf, did you want to defend that term opportunities for the naming convention?

WOLF LUDWIG: Yes.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Please... Over to you Wolf.

WOLF LUDWIG: Yes, okay, thanks. It's Wolf Ludwig for the record. As Heidi rightly mentioned in the chat, we had term for Mexico City, etc. and surprisingly a lot of people understood that it's was sort of a multiple meaning, opportunities from the community. Gives them opportunity to present themselves. Opportunities for the community to influence the ICANN Board.

So I will be a little bit surprised about Johnny intervention now, opportunities that mean anything, or it's not clear, etc. It was rather clear, and I just want to recall that it was an useful and successful term at the first ATLAS summit, and honestly, I haven't seen much better suggestion so far for our next one. So I still think, in my opinion, it's one of the best options. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you. I think Olivier you were next, and then Tijani. Okay, we lost Olivier. Olivier, are you still there?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: My hand is down, thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, thank you. Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, thank you. Wolf, I do understand very well opportunities, and I think that the summit is – we can call the summit opportunities. The name of the summit can have the opportunity inside, it is real. But for this event, it is not opportunities, opportunities will not be there. It is more interaction with each other, interaction with the community At Large, with the community of ICANN in general.

So that's why I said perhaps it is very precise to put opportunity. And if we put it like this, what kind of opportunity the showcase can give. This is the question. [CROSSTALK] Yeah, I know. I say showcase, but it is a social event, if you want. So it is my point. I don't disagree that opportunity is the right word for the summit, but I think it is not the right word for the social event, that's all.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I'm going to give it back to Wolf, but I would really like to hear from other people on this. And it looks like there is a bit of debate between the term fair and opportunity. So back to you Wolf, but I do want to encourage other people to say something. So back to you Wolf.

WOLF LUDWIG: Wolf Ludwig for the record once again. I didn't suggest it as a term for the summit. I suggested this only as a term for the particular evening

with the community. So I think at our last call, we discussed conceptual points of this evening, that it shouldn't be a top down showcase type of whatsoever.

It shouldn't be a celebration, it should be a market of opportunities for our ALSs to represent themselves. As you may recall, I sent in a written concept that it should be a kind of, a [?] type of [?] that there could be five tables in the room where RALOs take the opportunity to represent and to exhibit themselves the way they would like to do it according to their culture, or whatever particularity, etc.

So this was an open concept, putting the community, putting the ALSs into the center, and not a sort of lecture or entertaining type of event. I think we found some agreement last time at our call on this conceptual issues, and if we take this conceptual issue as a basis, then a celebration cannot be a valid option any more, then it must be a term reflecting some inter-activities.

And I think the activity of this evening should be a key element, and also should be somehow reflected in the name. Thanks.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you so much. As I was stating, we haven't heard from a number of other people on this discussion. So, I don't want to make this entire call just on the naming convention, so if we can hear from the silent majority on this issue, where they stand, and then we can just settle on a name.

So if that's possible, is there anyone else – Dev, please.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. This is Dev Anand Teelucksingh speaking. I feel that using faire, F-A-I-R-E , with the English spelling. But another alternative might be festival because I'm looking at the Wikipedia, and it says a festival is an event staged by a local community, which centers on some unique aspect of that community. So, you know, festivals might be an alternative to an At Large Faire. I don't know about...

When you use the word opportunities, I'm not sure – it doesn't convey to me what the opportunities are, and I don't know whether people understand what that means. But saying At Large Faire, At Large Festival, you know... I know what the event is about. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. We haven't nailed that down. This is Glenn for the record. Exactly how the look and feel of the room will be. We know what we don't want, but the logistics on deliverables of what each RALO is responsible for and how they'll deal with the public is another issue all together.

Anyone else that hasn't had their chance to speak on this naming convention? I know Heidi has been typing a few ideas. She's been mentioning the word festival a few times. She's gone back to the historic events that we've done in the past. Anyone else? Okay. So, how would you like to proceed on voting? I have a few names on here but we've morphed it into a new name.

Can anyone suggest a name for this event? And then we can have a vote if we all agree. Eduardo, go ahead.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I recommend that we try to get some consensus on the – what Wolf just suggested, the ATLAS II Faire of Opportunities, we have consensus there and then we can move forward, otherwise we look at the other ones. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Thank you so much. So Wolf, is that the name you're suggesting? ATLAS II Faire of Opportunities. Did I capture that right?

WOLF LUDWIG: Yes.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. So...

WOLF LUDWIG: It's a combination of Eduardo and my ATLAS II opportunities that I think would be the best option.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. So we can... We are getting some other... So ATLAS II is in the name, a Faire of Opportunities or some variation of that, whether it's spelled F-A-I-R or faire with an e. Okay. So let's go ahead and ask

everyone if they can click on agree or disagree on this development of this name. We can hammer it down, so if we can have a vote on that.

And while you're voting, Eduardo did you have something else on that?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes I'm suggesting... This is Eduardo. I suggest that for consensus, it would be better if we ask, abstain to that name and we go from there, rather than voting.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I'm sorry, I didn't understand you. Eduardo can you repeat that?

EDUARDO DIAZ: I said that for the consensus, I recommend that you ask who abstain on that name? And when you abstain, than there is consensus, or that vote... It's a procedure recommendation. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I'm more than happy to take any advice on that. So as Eduardo has stated, we can go through the process that way as a procedural approach. Sorry, we've got a couple more qualifying comments. Tijani first and then Olivier.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes. I propose ATLAS II Faire or At Large Faire, with an e. So that we have everything inside, because we had the faire, as Olivier explained,

the more, if you want, interaction between people. And the most important thing is that we have to highlight that it is interaction between us and between the other members of the community of ICANN.

It is not an official speaker's session, and it is for the ALSs, it is an opportunity for the ALSs to be there. It is an event of the ALSs, it is an event of At Large. I think that those are the concepts that Wolf just said, unless I am repeating now. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you. Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks Glenn. It's Olivier speaking. So I was getting ready to agree to a consensus call, but now we appear to be back to our two different solutions. We've got ATLAS II Faire, or At Large Faire, or we've got Faire of Opportunities. I'm a bit confused, or not confused, but I don't know which one to go for now.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I believe... It's Glenn for the record. I think that's... If we want to talk at consensus, I think there is just equal confusion on the naming convention. So we need to, for this group, to settle down on a name, so we have equal interest in Tijani's and Wolf's name. So if you can indulge me, we should move this along. Let's get this off the table.

We've almost spent 30 minutes on this. So if we can have a vote on say, start with Tijani's two suggestions. He's got ATLAS II Faire or At Large Faire. If people like that idea, can you show your agreement. Okay, we've got two votes for that in our... Okay. Is there anyone else voting on that?

Okay. So can you take down your green checkmarks please, and let's do the second one. Let's go with Faire of Opportunities, and Maureen if you could put your checkmark in as well. So Eduardo has voted, that's one. Wolf is two. Maureen is three. Okay Dev, thank you. Darlene, if you have access to it, if you can add your vote and your preference.

And I assume staff has the right to have a vote as well. So Heidi, where do you stand on this? Did you want to cast a vote on it?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

No.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay, thank you. Okay. It looks like by a narrow margin, option number two, Faire of Opportunities. If we're all okay, if we can use that name for the time being. We can tweak it a little bit more. So are we okay with proceeding using that? Any comment? No comments? Okay. Can we move on to the second item, event deliverables? Okay. So, as we were talking about, we want a wish list of all of the things we can do at this event.

So I started making a list, and Tijani has added it to as well. So please add to this list. We were talking about distinguished address, speaker,

one speaker for the event. We talked about a special acknowledgement ceremony. The showcasing, sorry I shouldn't use the word showcasing. But single slide presentations of RALOs and their achievements and best practice, special appeals, and interaction with the ICANN community.

Is there anything that people want to discuss in terms of what we can actually deliver in the evening? So open that up to the floor. Okay. Wolfgang go ahead please. Wolf, sorry.

WOLF LUDWIG:

This is Wolf Ludwig for the record. Well as I underlined last time, I think it would be a great opportunity to contact one of the fathers of the Internet. I think last time there was, [?],... etc. And I thought there was some approval that we would start with contacting [?], to ask him whether he would like to keep a speech to the community, and then there should be space enough for interaction among the community.

Then there could be some music elements in between, but I think from a conceptual point of view, we should make the most of the time of the evening. Remain for the community, to get to know each other, to interact among each other, and to exchange experiences. It's really based on the community.

I think it will be sort of a self-runner, where we only need some more [?] elements like an introduction, let's say, by Olivier as At Large Chair. Then one keynote speaker, a music element, and the wrap-up kind of thing at the end. This is my conceptual idea. Thanks.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you so much Wolf. That was great. It was a good summary of what your expectations of the evening are, and I assume people walk away at the end of the evening not only nourished, but are pretty pleased with the whole event. So, working our way backwards, Wolf has identified what he expects a successful evening to be.

So does that live up to other people's expectations? Eduardo, can you add your comment?

EDUARDO DIAZ: No. I was going to comment on the speaker, if I may.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: You bet. Yeah, you suggested Tim [Burnsley] I undersand.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yeah. I understand there was a male female going back and forth between Oliver and [Vince] to get and talk to us, and apparently he has a schedule conflict. I think in the last [mail], he mentioned that he can do this via remotely. And, you know, to be candid, I think that it's [?] that the person who is going to speak be there.

I mean, specifically talking about this event, it's a very important event. Thank you so much.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Thank you. I think Olivier, you wanted to comment on Eduardo's suggestion? Go ahead.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thank you very much. It's Olivier speaking. And I agree totally with Eduardo. Vince was ready to send in a video or to talk remotely, but since we are dealing with such a large group of people, it's often a lot better for the person to be in front of the audience and be able to get feedback as to whether what they're talking about is capturing people's attention or being totally ignored.

So, I think we might have just a quick, positive word, but we still have to look for a possible speaker. Now I know that Tim [Burnsley] has been suggested. I have spoken to Sally Costerton earlier this week and discussed this with her. One of the concerns we have found recently with Tim [Burnsley] is that he asks for a fee to speak.

And I guess it's something that's understandable if he's going to launch a product for a company or something like this, but if it's to do with something that's done pro bono such as the At Large, for the At Large community, I think a fee would probably be inappropriate. As a result, I've asked Sally and her team to go back, well to get in touch with Tim [Burnsley] and find out if indeed he would be asking for a fee to speak to us specifically.

I don't know where he is located, but I know that he has [?]. So that's the current state. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great, thank you so much. Yeah, I recall... This is Glenn for the record. I remember when I was looking for Canadian speakers for Toronto events

for ICANN, and I did speak to one chap, and he immediately told me that it was \$800 per evening, which was pretty rich. I could only imagine what his presentation fees were. They're probably even a lot more than that.

But, you know, that could be a standard ploy. As you said, Olivier, perhaps if it's brought to him that this is a community initiative, not a commercial effort, perhaps he can look at it more favorably. Just going to Heidi's suggestion... Heidi can you talk about Paul [?]?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Actually he works in contractual basis for ICANN, so he would be likely to be available. But I'm hearing from Wolf that he's not that well known in Europe. So, perhaps he would not be the best person for this.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: But his price is right?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. So we have one chap that's not well known, and another person that is well known but he is costly. So we still need a couple of other names, perhaps a well-known name that doesn't cost us anything. So we do still have some time. Olivier, do you feel that Sally and gang can possibly convince Tim to come along for the ride?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: It's Olivier speaking. I wouldn't be able to give you an answer on that. Do you think it's going to rain in June?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: You know, it's England, so I'm pretty convinced that it will rain.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Well, I don't know really. We'll hope for the best, but it looks unlikely I think, unfortunately. So we do have to put our minds together. Think of alternative speakers, and with this, by the way, think about alternative speakers even if we don't know them, because Sally has, you know, offered the help of [?] which is the company that deals with all the PR for the ICANN 50th.

So if we don't know someone specifically, but we really think this person would be great as a speaker, then we can always ask Sally [?] to get in touch with them and find out if they have a fee or they waive it to come and talk to us.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you so much Olivier. And again, as an action item for all of us, the Wiki is available. And under the section of keynote speaker, please put your names in there and any suggestion. If you do have any connection or suggestion add it to your note on the Wiki as well. Okay, so we are getting limited on our keynote speaker. We can move on to the other things.

The idea I suggested was special acknowledgment ceremony. Is that something the group was interested in having during the event itself? Is that something you want to scrap? Or did you want to keep that? So I'll turn it to the group for opinions. Eduardo?

EDUARDO DIAZ:

This is Eduardo for the record. I don't really, you know, I really don't – I'm not [?] using the event for getting, how do you call it? An acknowledgment of some kind. I mean, you know you want to bring there really something, but you know, that's a joke.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay. Thank you. Maureen, do you have something to say?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you. Maureen for the record. Yeah, I just would like [?] that special acknowledgment ceremony [?] where many of the people who are coming to – are new to the whole ICANN community, may not feel like [?]. I mean, they may not totally recognize the importance of this section, as well as those who have been in it for a longer time.

However, I mean, just moving on to the next one, we're actually looking at presenting, you know, giving them an idea of what's happening at other RALOs and other stuff, that is probably more informative for them. Special acknowledgments could probably a section later, when they probably know more about what ICANN is all about, and why those acknowledgments are actually being presented. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you. Anyone else on that topic? And we can move on. Okay. So the third thing that I suggested, as Maureen was alluding to, is an opportunity to do a very short introduction of their RALOs and how successful they've been. Again, it's a way to stand up and brag on your achievements and your best practices.

So that's an idea I'm throwing out to the group, if it's of interest. I would like of the group for their feedback on that. Okay. No comment. Okay. The next item that I had was... Oh. Tijani, go ahead. Tijani, it's over to you. I'm not hearing anything. Maureen, you're next in the queue.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Can you hear me now?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, go ahead Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, thank you. Sorry I was muted. Do you mean RALO or ALSs, Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I'm talking about RALOs. And if we talk about ALSs we'd be there for a week. It would be a brief success indicator for the RALOs.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: That's exactly my point. So if it only for the five RALOs, and if we limit the time, I would agree with you. But if we give the floor to one RALO for speak for half an hour, it would be a problem.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes. Thank you so much. Maureen did you want to add – then Eduardo. Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you. This is Maureen for the record. If we are talking about doing presentations [?], I think one of things that we've actually [?] for APRALO is that a recorded presentation, either in a slideshow or something like video record. It makes it really precise about the timing and things like that. So it could go on for longer, and it's a lot more – like being able to sort of like present it in a visual way.

It makes it a lot easier, and yeah, you can go keep information and [?] at the time. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Very good suggestion. Thank you. Eduardo, over to you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. This is Eduardo for the record. An idea that came to my mind is that maybe, you know, we don't have a specific time in the agenda just to [?] so we would look at them. We can have them [going] continuously somewhere, and I can think about if we're bringing music

from different regions, when we have music from that region than we synchronize it and put slides from that region.

And eventually, you know, if we have this booth from [?] people would have a chance to go on and find more information about what ALSs are there, and something like that. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you. Okay. I think I want to move on to the suggestion that I put special appeals. Just in case something comes up at the event that we want to actually have a solid, core message from our community. I thought I would put the term special appeal. It's the meat in the sandwich approach in terms of delivering a concept.

So if there is a special appeal, a special message that we want to get out to the community, that is sort of a newsy bite type of thing, it's a very focused. I'll share with you a quickly. ISOC launched, last year, at the last ICANN meeting, something called Internet Strong. It was a complete campaign. It was a mail card, and it was complete roll out on an open Internet. That was an interesting appeal, and I'm just saying, if we had a clear message, a very strong message that could be right in the middle of what we're doing.

So I'm just throwing that on the table for people to think about. Maureen, do you have something to say on that?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Sorry, no, nothing to say. Sorry my hand is still up.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Eduardo?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, special appeals can be something related to the overarching theme, global Internet user perspective, and something related to that. [?] the whole event.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Now I want to turn to Tijani. Tijani's point is interaction with the ICANN community, and I just want to get Tijani to elaborate on methodology and what was he thinking of for that. Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. What I mean by that, as I said at the beginning, this event will be more interaction between us and interaction with the other community, the other members of the ICANN community. So, this – it will not be, if you want, something that will announce like this, but we must organize it in the way that the ALSs, our community, can interact with other parts of the ICANN community.

Even, I thought about some specific items, or specific topics that can be put forward, especially concerns, not the specific concern in the ICANN, that we cannot announce, but you can introduce. And let people, with the key persons for those specific things, so that people can go to them and interact with them. Other than the natural interaction with the other members of the community. This is what I think about.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Anyone have a comment on Tijani's suggestion? No comment. I think it's at the heart of what we want to achieve in the evening, is the not just talking to your friends, but to reach out and learn from other members and educate the wider public on what we do. So, I think this is the core essence of what we're trying to achieve.

So I want to turn to Olivier, if you're still on the phone, to talk about the status report on what's happening with sponsorship. And that will take us probably to the top of the hour. So, Olivier?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much Glenn. It's Olivier speaking. There's been not much going on in the sponsorship side. I'm still holding onto the sponsorship document, which I'm likely to send later on today. There are a few people that I will be saying face to face at tomorrow's UK Internet Governance Forum, who are actually my contacts in each one of these companies.

Specifically, I'll be seeing the person from Afilias, and the person from Microsoft, and also the person from Facebook. So I can push forward with regards to our sponsorship requests. As I've said, nothing has been sent yet. Next week, I hope we will be able to provide you with further details. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Thank you. So the logistics will still... Will the event be at the hotel, or do we – we don't know at this stage, right?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: This is Olivier speaking. So I went earlier this week to the hotel, and it is not very large. In fact, I should say, it's a bit cramped. So as far as the actual event is concerned, I think it's highly unlikely that we would be able to have it at the... Well, it depends on what it is you're talking about. Yeah, as far as the showcase, sorry, not showcase. Whatever this event is that we're speaking of is, the Faire or whatever, it's going to be a real hard thing to find a location for it.

Frankly I don't really know where it's going to be able to be placed. Because over the weekend we have a larger room, but over the week, we have a room for the At Large Advisory committee that will hold no more than I would say 100 people maximum. And we have to bear in mind we're more than that, just our committee, it's more than that.

So we would have to do this event somewhere else. We could not do it in the ALAC room, and that really depends then on the availability of other rooms according to what other people are doing in other communities. I understand that the meeting room is trying to juggle, but they've also announced to us that it would probably be a case that we would have to come back this [?], which is also – which [?] I think would be a major step back, because of the fact that we wouldn't have the Board, and you know, [?] come over and walk over to our thing, and then leave afterwards and go somewhere else.

Doing something offsite always leaves out a significant number of people. Even though the other side is only about 10, 15 minutes' walk away, we just need to have a bad luck of rain, and we would have

absolutely no one walking from one location to the other. So that is a concern, especially, I guess, in contrast with having to conduct a lunch or [?] which, because it is specifically for our community, doesn't really matter then with regards to external people.

But for this event, we need to have the rest of ICANN come and see us. So it's ongoing. We'll hopefully find a solution.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you so much Olivier. It is a concern, I'm sure if we have to do it off site, it's going to really impact us greatly in terms of the attendance and as well as cost, I'm sure. So it's a big concern. Okay. So we've got a couple of more minutes, and so we have an opportunity on the table. Tijani, did you have something to say?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Yes, thank you. Two words on the venue. It is a real concern this venue. It's even [?] than the other normal, the other meetings, venues of ICANN. So, I don't know if there is no foyer to do it in the foyer because in a room, it will be too tight. And there is a big concern. And even the meeting staff don't know how we will organize it. They don't have solutions now, right now, as Olivier said.

So the venue is a real concern for the whole summit, not only for the special – even for the whole summit. Anyway, we will speak about that later. But now, I'd like to speak about music. I think we need music in this event, and the best way to show the diversity, and to make our

showcase really representative of our diversity, is to make a compiled clip, if you want, and a loop that we broadcast it as an [ongoing] music.

Not as a [the high] music. And something that you hear and you speak at the same time. And I think that we have to compile all the region's music inside this clip, so that it will be, as I said, representative of our diversity. Other thing, also the food, this is something that we will see later, because it will be dependent on the sponsorship also. But perhaps we try to make it diverse also.

Not only English food, we try – if we are able to do so, to put some [?], some, I don't know, diverse kind of food that we can provide. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Great. Thank you so much. Anyone want to comment on Tijani's two ideas on the music and the food? Or is there any other item that you want to bring up in today's meeting as an action item? Wolf, please.

WOLF LUDWIG:

Yes. This is Wolf Ludwig for the record. Well, I agree with what Tijani just said. To find a compromise regarding different types of background from the various RALOs, etc. And as we otherwise would get in conflict of timing for the evening, I think it's a good idea to add a combination of world music as a sort of background music. I think it's a good idea.

And if I understood Tijani well, for his food suggestion, to have some kind of Lebanese food, that I think is very popular internationally, etc.

And it's a good for a sort of a [?]. So I think it would be almost perfect combination. Thanks for the suggestion Tijani.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you so much Wolf and Tijani. I haven't had lunch, so I'm getting hungry. So all of these suggestions of food. Is there any other item that...? We've got a couple of minutes left, if not, we can stop this meeting a couple of minutes early, but I want to give the committee a chance to say anything. Tijani, go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Glenn, I am sorry again, but also perhaps we need five large screens for the five RALOs. And I prefer that our, if you want, not presentation but how we show our work, what we did at the [?]. I prefer the visual things than paper written things. We can combine both, but the visual is very important.

So I think that each RALO has to get one large screen to display their activities on.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. I'm not sure what equipment is available for us, but it's a great suggestion. I do have a significant number of pictures that I've taken at different events, and different sessions that I could – I have virtually hundreds of pictures, and I'm sure that we can access the ICANN staff photographer's pictures as well. I think we can put together a pretty good set of pictures that are offered to each of the RALOs.

And as you said, showcase what they're doing. So okay. I think Dev has agreed on the idea of the screen on the table. We just need to deal with the logistics of having that at the event. Maureen, where you going to say something? Your, okay. Maureen has suggested that space might be an issue, but again, let's see what staff has in terms of logistics for it. Sometimes at tradeshows, you'll see a small screen that they can use for the projector, not a very evasive space that can be used behind in a booth area.

That could possibly work quite well as well. Okay. Last call, if there is no one else that would like to say something, I'll just give an opportunity for any hand. If not, I'd like to thank everybody for attending today. Please enter your names onto the Wiki of people who we've seen a few in the text. Hopefully I can chat to the person who is doing the action item notes, and we can capture this call effectively.

So please suggest any other ideas for next week, or sorry, in two weeks. So we're going to look at the date for the next call, and that would be the 26th at the same time. Okay everyone? So it's February 26th at the same time as we had today. Okay thank you everybody for joining today.

[END OF TRANSCRIPT]