
JULIA CHARVOLEN: This is Julia speaking. The recordings are on and I can do the roll call for you if you wish.

GARTH BRUEN: Please do so.

JULIA CHARVOLEN: Thank you Garth. Welcome everyone to the NARALO monthly call on Monday 9th of December 2013 at 20:00 UTC. On today's call we have Garth Bruen, Glenn McKnight, Gordon Chillcott, Kerry Brown, Allan Skuce, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Alan Greenberg and Olivier Crépin-Leblond. We have no apologies so far and Seth Reiss will arrive a little later. From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco and myself, Julia Charvolen.

May I please remind all participants to please state your names before speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you and over to you.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. I just want to make sure, is Glenn McKnight on the call?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, I am.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

GARTH BRUEN:

Glenn, if you could refresh your NARALO Meeting Agenda page and I'll talk for a minute while you're refreshing. You want to make sure you have the most recent copy of it. Unfortunately – and this is extremely frustrating; this has happened to me a number of times in the preceding months – I've been editing our Agenda for several hours, and I get a flash message that somebody else is editing it and I lose all the changes. Or I save the changes and go back later and the things I've put in there are out of order or missing.

I'm not blaming anybody, it's probably my own fault more than anybody else's, for not doing the Agenda well in advance. But things change, things happen, and I want to make sure it's as fresh as possible. But I have a very, very frustrating time using the Wiki. I don't think it's very... It's not up to speed on current Internet and web technology, and I think there's got to be a better way to do this.

All right, with that said, Glenn, do you have the most current page up with the Action Items?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

I refreshed it and clicked on NARALO Action Items 2013.11.18 Buenos Aires. I assume that's the most recent. I just refreshed it.

GARTH BRUEN: No, that doesn't sound like the most recent one. There should be a page with today's date on it. It should be NARALO+2010.12.9+teleconference?

ALAN GREENBERG: Garth, before you go ahead, I have another conference call on the gNSO Policy and Implementation Team, where I'm one of the participants in a Working Group. I'm going to be on Skype. I'll try and keep an eye out if you send me a message, I'll try and notice it and get back to this call either on the chat or on the call if necessary. Other than that, I'll be over there for most of this period.

I don't think there's anything on the Agenda that calls for my intervention right now, but if there is, let me know. Okay?

GARTH BRUEN: I don't believe that there is, but thank you for notifying all of us. Glenn, do you have the...?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I clicked on the second item that says Action Items 09 December 2013. When I click on it there's nothing in the file.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. I'm going to post the link to today's Agenda directly to you, in Skype, and I'll also post it in NARALO.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. I have Items 2.1 to 2.10. Are they the items you want me to list?

GARTH BRUEN: Yes, thank you. I've also just posted that link to today's Agenda, the most current one, into the Skype chat for NARALO. So everybody should have it. I'll also put it into the chat on Adobe, if it doesn't crash on me.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. There's quite a few items – 2.1 to 2.12. Shall I start? 2.1 – Eduardo Diaz is to give NARALO of lists of tasks that need or can be completed by volunteers. NARALO officers will attempt to assign these tasks, if possible, to members or otherwise assist in their completion. 2.2 – Maureen Hillyard to send a link to Garth with the questions on metrics. Garth will then request feedback from all the NARALO ALSes. According to status, that's completed.

2.3 – Garth Bruen to provide the name of the person who will receive the certificate for Gareth Sherman, from the Board, completed. It's been given to Darlene, I assume she's taking care of that. 2.4 – Puerto Rico ALSes were approved. Regional advice has been reached. Evan, Alan, Glenn, Darlene, Gordon, Garth, Joly, Thomas, Eduardo all voted in favor. That's been completed. 2.5 – Garth Bruen to send an email to staff containing the regional advice. Staff to continue with the accreditation process. That too is completed.

2.6 – The Alberta Community Association, the ALS, Darlene has mentioned that the association doesn't exist, therefore Garth will start the internal process of decertification. The next association to be examined will be the Consumer Web Watch. 2.7 – update on the Native Scholarship Fellowship Program from staff. We need the formal documentation, which has been requested from staff as an Action Item.

2.8 – clarification on the CROPP appointees. 2.9 – decision on the .mobi appointees. The ALAC and the ALT will be reviewing the three candidates for the .mobi liaison position very shortly. They have asked the candidates to send staff relevant information on their qualifications on this position. See posted information on the 2013 ALT and liaison selection workspace.

2.10 – status of new ALS applications. 2.10.1 – Hispanic Educational Technology Services – HETS – the vote will close tomorrow on December 10th on the status. 2.10.2 – Capital Area Globetrotter. Staff is preparing the due diligence process. 2.11 – calendar of outreach activities. 2.12 – transition documents for the new Secretariat, at Glenn's request, which includes 2.12.1 – database of all the existing ALSes from staff.

2.12.2 – names of people on Working Groups from staff. 2.12.3 – existing form letters produced by Darlene, if any. 2.12.4 – timelines for elections to coordinate with staff. 2.12.5 – policies and procedures, again, see NARALO bylaws. 2.12.6 – in general this must be formalized as a cross-RALO, so At-Large has efficiencies. They are the Action Items.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you Glenn. I'm just going to crawl back to a couple of the Action Items to clarify a couple of things. In 2.2 it says that the feedback will be requested from all NARALO ALSes, completed. There are two items in this Action Item, and one has been completed. Maureen absolutely did send me the link. We did have informal feedback in Buenos Aires on these issues. We've collected some ideas.

Maureen has some of her ideas. I want to do this in a more specific fashion with our membership, so we can get some more meaningful feedback back to Maureen. So at least part of this AI is done, but we need to continue to work on it. It has to be reworded and put in there. As far as the Gareth Sherman certificate, and this is more a question for staff, do we have any kind of digital copy of that certificate, or the wording that was contained within it? Is that available, does anybody know?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Let me check into that. That's a good point. Do you want a PDF of that version?

GARTH BRUEN: If we could have a PDF that would be great, so we can have a permanent online presence of it, and maybe it can be included in the Circle ID article. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Let me look into that. I should have the response to that pretty quickly.

GARTH BRUEN: Great. Great answer. Moving forward with HETS, we have another application that is in due diligence. Can staff advise on the status of the due diligence for that other application?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Do you mean the Globetrotters one?

GARTH BRUEN: Absolutely, yes.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, that one's still in due diligence. I think we received that just a week or so ago. We should be getting it out to the region for regional advice shortly.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, thank you very much. In terms of the Native Scholarship Fellowship Program, as Glenn and I discussed this, and we discussed it with others, we keep hearing that this is a program that's moving forward, it's in development, there's going to be something... But we haven't actually seen anything; a formal documentation, memorandum,

of anything of that kind. Is something like that going to be available soon? This is a question for staff.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Two things – one is the issue that Christopher Mondini is leading on how to get the disabled better access. I can follow up with him on that. I know he's working on that, I just don't know where he is on it. The second one is the scholarship for an indigenous person. That's really going to be in the recalling, right now, of the Fellowship Plus, and that's hopefully going to be starting early next year – we'll be announcing something.

The first activity on that would be in Singapore, where this person, if selected, has to meet the criteria for this exchange program. They would be part of the Fellowship Program in Singapore. We're aware that the other Fellows are being announced shortly, but these three slots are going to be left open, and Janice is aware of that. The timing is not crucial right now. Early next year will be fine.

GARTH BRUEN:

You said three slots. Early next year will be fine for what?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

I thought we discussed this. There's going to be this Fellowship Plus – and that's just a tentative title. These three slots are going to be for ALS representatives, and ALAC's going to be creating the criteria for these.

One of those slots, if they meet the criteria, one of those slots will be given priority to an indigenous person from NARALO.

GARTH BRUEN: Got it. I understand. So, the representative has to be an ALS that has already been approved, and if they happen to be from an indigenous population then that person will get priority within this subset. Is that what you're saying?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Well, again, it's up to the ALAC to develop the criteria, but I think that's the general aim, yes.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Is there a particular ALAC Committee or group of people that's working on this?

HEIDI ULLRICH: That's a good point. Not yet. Again, this is still being developed internally, but as soon as we're ready to announce it, which should be in mid-January, then that might be one way forward.

GARTH BRUEN: I guess maybe you're saying that if... ALAC's going to develop the criteria – you mean the ALAC as it sits right now. No specific Sub-Committee, just the ALAC?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Well, again, that's up to Olivier as the Chair to decide how he wants to do this. Early days still. It's in development. Your questions are all very valid, but it's still early.

GARTH BRUEN: That's fine. But just to clarify, you are looking to get a funded person under this criteria for Singapore?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Actually, both – it'll be for Singapore and London. The idea, as we're developing it now – I'm stressing it's not been confirmed – these three people would go through the Fellowship Program in Singapore. They would then be given mentors within At-Large or within the ALAC and work with them between Singapore and London. Then they'd be on the ground in London, helping with logistics and helping...

For example, if there are five successive meetings going on, current staff will not be able to staff all of those, so these people may be helping with that as well, among other logistical assistance.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Then in the third month they'll be working on implementing any actions that come out of the Summit.

GARTH BRUEN: Seeing no hands up, moving forward. Clarification on the CROPP appointees. I think that we have some internal confusion over this process. Who are the documented appointees at this time? Does staff know? Does staff have on record who the NARALO CROPP appointees are?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Give me one moment and I can show you that. You might want to carry on because it'll take me a moment to find it.

GARTH BRUEN: That's fine. Moving on, we can come back and cover the .mobi appointees after we have the CROPP appointees.

HEIDI ULLRICH: On the .mobi I can follow up on that? The ALT had a call last week and they decided... They did reach out to all three of the candidates. The candidates are, again, Darlene, Murray McKercher and Eduardo Diaz.

They've all been asked, and I believe all except Darlene have sent their information in; detailed information about why they would be good for this position. The ALT and ALAC will be discussing and making its decision, I believe, early next week.

GARTH BRUEN: For clarification, this is for the .mobi appointee?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct, the liaison.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you very much for that clarification. Where are they supposed to be sending their information, seeing as Darlene hasn't sent it in, where are they supposed to be sending it?

HEIDI ULLRICH: To staff. They have it on staff, and then I can post it as well. I just need to get confirmation from Olivier that he would like me to post that. I think Olivier would like to speak.

GARTH BRUEN: Olivier, please go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much. Sorry, I'm not on the Adobe at the moment. Just a couple of words. First, on the CROPP, I don't have the actual names of the people that are going to be there, but it's on the website. Effectively, there will be one person from the Outreach Working Group and one person from the Finance and Budget Sub-Committee, that will be on the CROPP.

The way that the system will work is that the RALO will fill in a sheet that Dev Anand Teelucksingh has put together. That will be sent over to the CROPP Review Team and they will be assessing the requests, and then of course filing it over to the CROPP if it meets the different requisites of following the ICANN strategic view, etc. It's all described on the Wiki page, so I hope...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Olivier, if I could just interject here? The two NARALO members are, as Alan noted, are Alan Skuce and Darlene Thompson. Alan represents the FBSC and Darlene represents the Outreach Sub-Committee.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: No, it's the other way around.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, well, we'll make that change.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: So that's the CROPP. All of the instructions will be sent to the RALOs, etc., so you'll all know how to be able to submit people. Of course, this has to be done pretty fast because I think it takes about six to eight weeks for the whole process, so you need to file things ASAP. That's one. The other thing now, with regards to the... I've lost my track. What was the second thing we've just been speaking about?

HEIDI ULLRICH: The .mobi liaison.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: The .mobi, the ALT had a discussion about the candidates on its Friday meeting. There's been no selection made yet, or basic preference made. We're still following up. What the ALT will come to the ALAC with is a suggestion, a proposal, for one of the candidates, and will be asking the ALAC to ratify that proposal. Of course, we're waiting for all of the inputs from all of the candidates, and as Heidi said, we haven't received it from one of the candidates yet. That's the current status.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, thank you very much Olivier. Glenn, you interjected – are you saying that Alan Skuce is on the Outreach Committee and Darlene is on the FBSC?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: That's my understanding, but according to Alan's comment here, he's saying he's on the Budget and Finance. Remember when we had our last NARALO call, we discussed this on reps, and Murray was volunteered because he's on the ICANN Outreach, the larger Committee, but it looks like that decision was made that Alan and Darlene are part of our monthly meetings. That's what it looks like.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Glenn, if I might just point out? I've looked up the FBSC page and currently both Alan and Darlene are also members of the FBSC. But I've made the change for which group they represent on the CROPP.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you for the clarification Heidi.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I believe Evan's got a question. He's just Skyped me.

GARTH BRUEN: Even, if you're on the call I'm going to give you the floor.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Thanks very much Garth. I am here I don't have access to Adobe Connect, so Glenn noticed that I said something in the Skype chat, because I don't have access to Adobe. My question is about CROPP, and

I guess it's a recurring thing. One of the things that I've been constantly advocating happens to be an event that takes place in January. This continues to be caught between a rock and a hard place, because here we are talking about it in December.

You're supposed to give a certain amount of notice. This thing is for January, so do we put something in for January 2015 at this point, or how does this work? Or do we not have access to do events in January?

GARTH BRUEN: Excellent question Evan. Staff if you could answer the question as best you could?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Actually, we have Dev on the call and Dev is the Chair of the Taskforce for the CROPP. I know he's been working on an online application and I think it's ready to go. Dev, if you could confirm that please?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. The form for submitting the travel request to the CROPP has been set up and it's ready to go. It will be sent out within the next few hours to all of the RALOs. The time required for ICANN to process the CROPP travel requests is six weeks. So we're looking at eight weeks, to give two weeks for the CROPP Review Team to confirm with the Stakeholder Engagement, the people in the region, and just to ensure that the request is complete.

The CROPP Review Team will then file it with ICANN. So there's eight weeks in there, between the time... Okay.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Again, I'm going to go to the fact that the event I want to put forward to CROPP takes place in January. We're clearly beyond any window to go to an event in January, based on the materials being available now. Is there commitment that we will be able to submit something in November or October to go to something in January 2015?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Well, this is a pilot program, so at the end of the fiscal year 2014, which is the 30th of June 2014, the program will be evaluated as to whether to extend it for another year, or to make modifications based on the feedback received. That's a decision by ICANN. But this is a trial pilot program, so there's no guarantee that ICANN would extend it for the next fiscal year of FY 15.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Sorry, I don't mean to take this over...

GARTH BRUEN: No, please.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Dev, I would like to find out, one of the most... To me, it's one of the most important events we could attend, and you or others may know, within NARALO, that I've been trying to get ICANN now to be there for the better part of five years. We now have a situation where a process is being made available to do this, and thanks to the wonderful timelines under which this is being done, we're again shut out for one and possibly two years of doing something in January.

Can we not explicitly make a request to have something in January 2015, that isn't cut off because of the pilot program? I'm giving a year's notice. Is that not enough?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks Evan. Again, this is still a pilot program by ICANN. I would say that if the program is extended, then I would say that definitely that request could go in in time for 2015. Let me ask the question though, when is the precise time for the event? Is it towards the end of January?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: The 2014 edition starts January 7th. The 2015 one has not been nailed down yet. Hang on, the 2014 one is January 7th-10th. I imagine the 2015 one will be in a similar timeline in mid-month. Sorry, January 8th-11th 2015. I have the dates. It's January 8th-11th 2015. My main concern at this point is because of the eight-week timeline that essentially you're restricting the window to when the events can take place, essentially from the beginning of March to the end of December.

So it's not really a one-year test, because of the advance notice given, something happening March 1st has to be applied for January 1st. So what you're saying is even if things start right now, anything in the month of January is out, anything in the first week of February is out. So even if things were to start as of today, essentially we're cutting out the better part of six weeks.

I'm asking to make this a proper test, to make it a proper 12-month window as opposed to just from mid-February until the end of next year. Thanks. I don't mean to capitalize on things. I'll just leave it at that.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you Evan. No, this is important. Dev, do you have any kind of response to that?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It's Olivier. Can I jump in at some point please?

GARTH BRUEN: Go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much. This program is a pilot program, and I understand it has started a little late and we got the whole thing sorted out and so on, which effectively precludes any event in January, and it's bad. I do know that Evan's been fighting for being able to go to this event for

quite a while. I would imagine that if the CROPP is carried over for another year, that would actually then run for the whole year, and so it would allow for any request to be filed in July, or from July onwards, to be able to proceed forward.

Now, I don't know how much time it's going to take ICANN to evaluate the pilot program – whether it would take them weeks or months – but I would hope that they would be able to make this available – if it does get carried to future years – as early as July, and be able to provide an answer before the end of the fiscal year. I think that one thing we might wish to do, when providing feedback through the CROPP Team at ICANN, is to say that we might have events in July and August.

If they decide to carry it over, we would wish this window to be open already during fiscal year 2014, or during the times in June and in May. For it to provide its advance notice on whether this would be carried over or not. With regards to the current request, with ICANN shutting down for a week right after Christmas, and then for New Year, it's very unlikely that we would be able to file anything for January, and indeed for the early part of February.

It just makes it very short indeed. That's unfortunate, but as in any pilot I guess we'll just have to try and make the best of it from mid-February onwards. I would urge you all to look at your calendar and look at the potential events that you would wish to attend, and concentrate on these. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: I think that we're going to have to come up with a very straightforward explanation of this program – how to access it, how to submit a request – because it's definitely not clear to me and it's obviously not clear to Evan, so at that point it's not going to be very clear to the rest of our membership. Evan, did Olivier's response answer any of your concerns?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Garth, it's a pilot project, this is what it is. So we'll see how it works out. I've basically done without it for many, many years. If it goes on for another couple of years it won't be the end of the world. I have a couple of alternatives to propose, one of which I believe is in March, so we're going to need to move on it. That would be the NTEN Conference.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Evan, just for everybody's education on the call, can you describe the conference that you've been discussing; the one that takes place in January? I don't think that was part of the original discussion.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: This is called the Consumer Electronics Show. It's one of the largest consumer electronic shows in the world, and essentially to try and get people who are not into Internet governance, but already have an inclination towards the Internet and the use of technology, it seemed to be a perfect match. There would be people that would be good candidates for At-Large, would not necessarily be already within the

domain industry, but would be found elsewhere within the technology industry.

That's why that was considered by me to be a perfect venue with which to recruit for At-Large.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. Dev has his hand up. Please go ahead Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. Just to say that yes, in terms of the information, the email will hopefully be very clear. We've taken extra staff to develop our online form, to ensure all the information is completed and so forth. The email will explain that. Furthermore, the tests for the email will also include a Doodle for a conference call to go over the form, to make sure that there are no misunderstandings. That text will go out this evening and will include a link to a Doodle for a conference call, to look at the information needed by the CROPP Review Team. Hopefully that will answer all your questions.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Does anybody else have any further comment on this? Evan, Olivier, or anybody else? I see no hands up in Adobe but I know you two don't have the ability to put your hands up. No? Okay, all right, then we will move on. I want to talk about the very last Action Item, which is about transition documents for the new Secretariat, in terms of Glenn's

specific request, and general concerns about this type of documentation in the transition.

We're at the end of one election cycle, at the end of one year, and we're starting with a new year and a new officer in at least one position. This is always a good opportunity to reflect and refresh what it is that we do. We have a number of items that the Secretariat should have access to. We want to figure out good ways that we can ensure that the continuity of all of our data, as a region, is available. This doesn't just go for the Secretariat, it also goes for the Chair and anybody else who's involved in the ongoings of the region.

I think this is an issue that applies to all the RALOs, and perhaps this is something we should be discussion with them. I know at some point there was, or there is, a plan to have some sort of training? Is that true, staff? Maybe you could clear that up for me in my memory.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Could you please repeat the tail end of that? I didn't hear the last of that.

GARTH BRUEN: Sure. Is there not – at least within the At-Large, at least for ICANN staff support – a plan to provide some sort of... Not outreach... Isn't this part of capacity building, to tell people how to be a Secretary and how to be a Chair?

HEIDI ULLRICH: That's a very good point. In Buenos Aires the first meeting of the Academy was held and that included some of the incoming leaders. We're hoping that that will be repeated during next year's Annual General Meeting to be held in Los Angeles. That's something that might be something that the ACs and SOs wish to add, or to have as maybe a short side-session on how to teach their ALSes how to be a Chair or a Secretary and what that might mean.

Having said that, we're certainly happy to have calls with incoming leaders to ensure that they're able to serve effectively.

GARTH BRUEN: I think this would be a good thing to do. It certainly helps in terms of transition from year to year. We all bring a different skill set to the table, and I think that the more documentation that we have and the more inreach that we have for capacity building, the better. I think maybe if we can add this to the Academy's work...

HEIDI ULLRICH: That's a very good point. If we can make that an Action Item, to let Sandra and the other organizers know... Just on the issue of the ALAC, Olivier and staff held welcome calls for the incoming ALAC members this year, and that was a really successful call. I think that that's helped them come on board a little bit quicker, and with more confidence.

That's something we might wish to do next year – have calls with the incoming RALO leaders as well?

GARTH BRUEN: Yes, absolutely. I think that's really useful. Let's develop an Action Item for this.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Garth, may I speak?

GARTH BRUEN: Yes.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Regarding your concern on transition for a new Secretariat leader, yes, I received the request from Glenn and I have supplied the information that we as staff have. Regarding the transition, of course... For example, I had a meeting in Buenos Aires with the new leaders of AFRALO, and the outgoing leaders, where they exchanged ideas and experiences, and best practice if you wish. We could certainly facilitate another meeting.

This one we could do this time; a conference call with Darlene, and with you and with Glenn, and we could do that as soon as you are available. Of course, we, as staff, are always available to answer any questions and concerns and to share with you best practices and documents, and any rules or regulations that you need to research. We are here to help.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you very much Silvia. Just to tick off the specifics that we have in this Action Item. The first one is the database of ALSes. Now, in terms of the specific contact information; the phone numbers and what-not, I believe that that is not public, and should probably remain so. Is that true? That's not public, right?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Correct, it's not public.

GARTH BRUEN: Good. Staff manually makes the changes to that database as they're submitted, is that correct?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes. We manually update the database with the contact information; email addresses and new ALSes.

GARTH BRUEN: Do they have a list of who should have access to that database? Obviously, I imagine it's the Secretary, it's the Chair, and probably the ALAC reps from the region. Is that true? Would that be the standard default list of people who have access to it?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, that's correct. That's the standard phone list.

GARTH BRUEN: To continue the thread, when the database is updated, does that updated database get re-released to those people?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Not automatically. As staff we internally distribute the list every month among ourselves, and upon request we send the updated information to the leaders and the Secretariat of each RALO.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. I think that we need to come up with a method for tracking changes and keeping everybody advised of them. Not necessarily forcing or pushing out the actual database to the people who have access to it, but perhaps a notice that a change was made, and if possible, we could assign specific last update dates to the data, so when we look at the list we can see that the email was last updated in 2009, or the phone number was last updated in 2010.

I guess I'm asking for two Action Items to consider. One is that when the database is updated, when staff circulates that database between itself, can the people who have access to the database get an email notification telling them that the database has been updated? The second Action Item would be when the database is updated, can we have a visible date that's associated with each data point, to say when it's updated?

I know that's very long-winded and I'll give staff a moment to address anything that they're confused about.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, I believe I captured those two Action Items. The first is the ALS database is to show the date of updating, and the second is staff are to notify ALAC members and the RALO leaders when the ALS database is updated.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. That is exactly it. Gordon Chillcott has his hand up. I'm going to yield the floor to Gordon. Thank you.

GORDON CHILLCOTT: Thank you Garth. A question of my own has to do with some things that are happening internally with our ALS, and that is how do we notify a change in things like the primary and secondary contact?

GARTH BRUEN: I'm assuming that's a question for staff?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Did I hear you correctly? You said how should ALSes update their primary and secondary contact information?

GORDON CHILLCOTT: Yes, it is, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Well, they hopefully would inform At-Large staff to do that, and if not then periodically staff reaches out to all ALSes asking for an update. Particularly for NARALO, when they have votes, staff will reach out and make sure that everyone who's supposed to be getting their voting credentials has their voting credentials.

GORDON CHILLCOTT: Thank you Heidi.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you for that question Gordon, which brings up a question in my mind. In terms of updating who the primary and secondary contacts are for an ALS, in order to avoid any kinds of complications or external political kerfuffles, who has the authority within an ALS, as far as ICANN staff is concerned, to request a change to who is the primary or secondary contact?

HEIDI ULLRICH: That's a very good question. Normally we take our instructions from the current official primary representative.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you, that makes good sense.

HEIDI ULLRICH: That's who our main contact is, so if they say that they're leaving or that there's a new person, then we take our instructions from that.

GARTH BRUEN: Good. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: May I jump in?

GARTH BRUEN: Yes, Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I totally agree with your points and suggestions you've made. May I suggest a couple more things? This is an issue that doesn't only affect NARALO but it affects all the RALOs. I wonder whether the RALOs might wish to discuss this among themselves and set a number of steps to be able to put into the At-Large and the RALO DNA, so as to be able to have a smooth handover every year?

This is something that we face recurrently, of course. Or not only every year, but as soon as there is an officer replacement in a RALO, then there would be a set of things that take place, such as staff notifying,

etc. That's one suggestion. The other suggestion is, as you know, there are a number of Beginner Guides that have been very well drafted by staff, and I wonder if there might be an opportunity to have a Beginners' Guide to running a RALO?

That would basically talk about the Chair's duties, the Secretariat's duties – it doesn't need to be a huge document; it can be only a couple of pages, but that would effectively be able to tell your successors easily of what it means to be a Secretary or be a Chair or a Vice Chair for some of the RALOs. It could say, on the one hand, what is expected of you, and on the other hand, who you can turn to if you have a question about X, Y or Z.

It could also probably incorporate the procedures by which databases get updated and get transferred in-between the outgoing officers and the incoming officers. It might be helpful. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you Olivier. I completely agree with you. You said that there were some guides available? Staff, do you know specifically what kind of guides he's talking about?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Absolutely. Actually, At-Large has requested several of these guides, and I think we're on number six or seven now. There are some... There's a Beginners' Guide on Information for New ALSes, there's an

ALAC Guide to Policy, Beginners' Guide for Participating in At-Large in General, and another Beginners' Guide for Participating in ICANN.

GARTH BRUEN: Glenn, do you have any or all of those guides that were just listed?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I know about those guides, but that's not what I'm asking for. Basically, there was no orientation in Buenos Aires. Darlene was not around very much at all. It's not like she provided anything to me. I really can't speak on the other meetings that staff had with other At-Large, I'm just saying that I come into a position, I expected certain things, I expected an orientation, I expected some transition documents – nothing happened. Here I am, still waiting for stuff.

I've chatted to Olivier about this as well. I think it's a big problem. I think the Beginners' Guides are not what I'm talking about.

GARTH BRUEN: Your point is taken, and I think that's why we're working on this and we're discussing it. As Olivier mentioned, I don't think that this is a specific problem to our region. There's a lack of formality in this. We need to make sure that going forward we do have architecture in place that can handle this.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Can I jump in?

GARTH BRUEN: Go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Garth. I guess a Beginners' Guide to running a RALO might be a helpful thing? That would certainly set the first steps... The other thing, as I said, was for the RALOs to decide together on a handover way, some kind of protocol where the outgoing officers are recollected to be able to provide this information. That information, whatever information you decide that needs to be transferred over from one to the other.

In that way, that formalizes the handover and will certainly help in cases where a handover is not possible in an amicable way, or in a clean way – in case an outgoing officer goes missing, etc. Of course, staff have access to all of the information, so I gather that staff would be the handover of last resort if an outgoing officer is not available. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Yes. Just to summarize, there are two issues. One is a general introduction to what the various roles within At-Large consist of, and then the second one would be specific access to specific materials and documentation for the region. The first one on our list is of course the

database. The second one is the names of people on Working Groups. I know this is one that we've struggled with.

Staff, do we have an accurate updated list of people from the RALO that are on Working Groups?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

I believe that we're working on that. I can double-check that.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay, thank you. In terms of the next item, which is form letters, maybe we need... if we don't have form letters then we need a more specific list of form letters that we should have in our inventory, if they're not available already. The next one is timelines for elections. Staff usually provide this, but I think that this is something that not everybody is generally aware of and we always ask about when it's coming up. It's something that needs to be made more obvious and more concrete.

General policies and procedures, etc., the bylaws, and of course we've discussed the fact that this is something that's a cross-RALO issue. It needs to be addressed in every region for everybody's benefit. Now, we've taken up a lot of time on this call going over these issues, but they're very important. Hopefully we can have a more formalized agenda in January.

Now, just to go back to something that was brought up earlier, Olivier said that the offices will be closed. What are the dates of the ICANN office closures?

HEIDI ULLRICH: The dates are the 25th through the 1st. The ICANN offices open on the 2nd, but given that that is a Thursday, some staff may be taking the 2nd and the 3rd off.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, thank you Heidi. When is our next call tentatively scheduled for?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Julia, do you have that information? I'll just take a look. I'm sure she's working on it.

GARTH BRUEN: Evan, I believe that you said that the conference, the January conference you were discussing, would be during that following week? I think you said it would be the... What were the dates of that conference in January?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Actually Garth, I'm perfectly satisfied to come up with a plan B to the January conference, seeing as that seems to be problematic both for

2014 and 2015. I'm already going to propose something that takes place in March, which is going to be easier to fit into the constraints. I've posted a link to it in the Skype chat. It's called the Non-Profit Technology Conference. It takes place two weeks before ICANN Singapore in Washington.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. Now, Julia, do you have the tentative date for January for NARALO?

JULIA CHARVOLEN: The next NARALO meeting is on the 13th of January. That is on...

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, so that would actually be a full operating week after the ICANN offices reopen, so I think that's probably a good buffer. There's probably no need to reschedule a call for a later time. Thank you for clearing that up. Now, our hour is drawing to a close, but before we go anywhere I want to give the floor to anybody for any other business. Anything that anybody wishes to discuss, and I will start with our ALAC representatives. Does anybody from ALAC wish to discuss any topic which has not been discussed yet?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Garth? Right now, especially anybody who's been following previous ICANN meetings, knows that right now there is an absolute zoo of activity going on right now in response to what I'd broadly call the challenge to multistakeholderism, which has spurred a Cross-Community Working Group within At-Large and NCSG, as well as numerous Strategy Panels, Hearing Committees and things like that.

In order to prevent volunteer burnout amongst the people who are the usual suspects, I would invite members of NARALO to have a look at the threads along these lines on the ALAC lists, and see if they're interested in getting involved in these macro-global issues of Internet governance. There's an awful lot going on, and simply depending on the handful of people involved in At-Large leadership is to blow our brains out in a hurry.

So I really want to put out an invitation for people in At-Large to make a special effort; to have a look what's going on and get involved in some of the global activities that are going on. There are concerns about lack of focus. There are concerns about so much going on at the same time, but this is a really, really important issue, so I would really encourage people to get involved in it. Thanks.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you Evan. For those who may not have all the detail, what is NCSG and why is it important that we have discussions with them?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

NCSG is the Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group that's involved with creating policy for the TLDs and otherwise. There isn't a specific purpose behind that. what I mentioned was that during the meeting in Buenos Aires, Fadi Chehadé, the CEO of ICANN, put out a call for the community to get together, create some joint activity in response to some of the threats to multistakeholderism.

As it turned out, the following day, as it turned out in the schedule, there was a meeting between ALAC and the Stakeholders Group. We decided we were going to take Fadi up on his offer. We created a Cross-Community Working Group that started out with three people each from the two constituencies. Essentially, within a couple of days, senior staff got involved, other constituencies got involved.

Now it's gotten to the point where Olivier, as Chair of NARALO, and Rafik Dammak, who is the Chair of NCSG, have been playing the role of Noah, trying to get two or three people from each constituency to get involved in the group and keep things tidy, without being too unwieldy. So that's the reason for the specific mention of NCSG. We now have pretty much almost every other stakeholder group and advisory body becoming part of this. It's a truly cross-community group, but it's only one effort.

There are a number of steering committees and panels and civil society activities and all sorts of things going on, regarding all the buzz going on about this Brazil conference set to happen next year, about some ITU activities happening later in the year – so there's a massive amount of

activity going on right now. Whether or not it's just talking, or whether or not it actually involves some action, that's yet to be determined.

Agendas are hard to come by, objectives are hard to come by, and so trying to make some sense of this is going to be job one. That just means that we need some people with clear heads to get involved in this.

GARTH BRUEN:

Evan, does this effort have a name, a handle, something that we could use to refer to it?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Well, it's actually got a few of them. One that was introduced in Buenos Aires was called One Net, which was based on a Montevideo declaration that was co-signed by ICANN, ISOC, a number of the regional Internet registry organizations, such as ARIN, to try and coordinate activities. So One Net was the big brand of the moment that was launched in Buenos Aires. That's the general name for that. Within ICANN there are a number of other activities going on in support of that. I don't know if that answers your question.

But when you talk to people and they just say about, "Preparations for the Brazil Summit," – which is no longer called a summit, it's just called the meeting – things like... A particular choice of words is now becoming really important to people. But effectively we're talking about defense

of multistakeholderism, meeting current challenges that are coming to that, and essentially addressing that. Is there a specific name? Is there a specific theme? Beyond the One Net initiative that was announced by Fadi in Buenos Aires, maybe somebody else on the call can come up with a better explanation than what I just have?

GARTH BRUEN:

I'm just concerned that you put out a call for volunteers and you're talking about these various things that we need help on, but there isn't really something specific yet that people can refer to. Before I go back to Evan I see that Glenn has had his hand up for a while. Go ahead Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

I asked Julia to put a chart up in the middle of the Adobe. It's just a quick update. The SOIs are now open for the NomCom. Even though I'm not on NomCom anymore... I notice that Louis's not on the call, but I just wanted to let you know it started in December and this will go until April. If you have an SOI – Julia, could you turn that table? If people want a copy of it I can send you the timelines. The SOIs are now open. That's it.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you very much. Before I assume too much, is Louis in fact not on the call? I just want to double-check? Okay, that's fine.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I didn't mean to jump the queue, maybe Evan wanted to speak first, but I just wanted to add a couple of things on what Evan said. Thank you. The One Net initiative is one, as Evan described, that is currently discussing who is going to go to the Brazil conference, and who [inaudible 01:00:12] civil society, etc. The Cross-Community Working Group, which was started by the NCSG and the ALAC, has got at the moment co-coordinators; Rafik Dammak and myself. We are going to have our first call this week. There are three people from At-Large and three people from the NCSG on this overall committee.

There are a couple of people from all of the other SOs and stakeholder groups, and there's a Doodle that's just been sent out. So hopefully by the end of the week we will have our first call and I guess the mission of the group will be better known. My understanding of this is that this Working Group needs to come up with some coordinated action as to what messages it wants to send to Brazil. I'm hoping that we can remain focused on the outcome, rather than become focused on who is going to sit in the seat in Brazil.

I'm always very concerned, seeing the discussions on One Net, how so much time has been spent discussing people, rather than discussing the actual issues. I'm hoping that the Cross-Community Working Group, which is actually called the Cross-Community Working Group on Internet Governance, will be able to feed into the One Net process and discuss

things as they coordinate ICANN input into the One Net process, and then coordinate ICANN's input onto the Brazil conference.

That's my hope, but of course I'm only the coordinator and it will just depend, I guess, on the participants themselves and the Working Group. I emphasize the use of coordinator rather than chair. I think the group will have to select some chairs, and this will probably be one of the first tasks they'll have to do. I imagine they will actually be co-chairs. There has been a second list that's been put together as well, which is the coordination between the different chairs of SOs and ACs and SGs, that will effectively try to coordinate what goes on in the Internet Governance Working Group, at another level – to try and steer it so that it doesn't end up going around in circles.

The big concern I have is that we'll speak about matters that don't matter, and end up just on the eve of the Brazil conference without a coordinated position. That would be the worst showcase for the multistakeholder model. That's it. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you Olivier. When is the Brazil conference?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: The Brazil conference is, I think, at the end of March? No, sorry, it's at the end of April, I believe. It's just after the Singapore ICANN conference. Am I getting this right, staff?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, I think it's the 4th to the 6th of April, but let me double-check that. I'm also going to put the link in the Wiki chat that Olivier mentioned, on the Cross-Community Working Group.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. Evan, you were speaking earlier. Do you still have a comment?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I was only mentioning that without access to Adobe, within the NARALO chat, on Skype I've pasted one-net.org, which is the website for the One Net initiative, and also mentioned that the three people from ALAC on this group are myself, Holly Raiche from Australia and Leon Sanchez from Mexico.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, thank you very much. Are there any other further comments on the One Net? Glenn, you still have your hand up.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sorry, I'll take it down.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, if there are no further comments on One Net I want to open the floor up to any other business. I'll look for hands in the Adobe and listen for anybody jumping in. I'll look at Skype for anybody Skyping. Okay, if there is no other business then we'll close this call for now. I would encourage anybody to reach out to me in the meantime, and I'll follow up as best I can with all of the various Action Items. I appreciate your time. Thank you very much.

[Goodbyes]

[END OF TRANSCRIPT]