
GISELLA GRUBER: I'd like to welcome everybody to today's NARALO monthly call on Monday, the 13th of May. We have Garth Bruen, Darlene Thompson, Gordon Chillcott, Allan Skuce, Glenn McKnight, Eduardo Diaz, Evan Leibovitch, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Seth Reese, Louie Houle, Joly McFie. We have apologies from Alan Greenberg. From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, and myself, Gisella Gruber. I hope I haven't left anyone off the attendance list. Also, if I could remind you all please state your name for transcript purposes. Over to you, Garth.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. We're going to go right into the review of action items, read by Darlene. Unfortunately, it says Action Items of December. That's incorrect. I'll have to fix that. That's my fault. Darlene, please.

DARLENE THOMPSON: Yes. We have a list of the NARALO monthly call from February – that's probably wrong. NARALO monthly report, April (inaudible) 2013.

2.3 NARALO call time will observe Daylight Savings Time until its end on (inaudible) of November on (inaudible)

2.4 Staff – Please archive all monthly meeting lists prior to 2012 under new subfolder called 2009 NARALO Monthly Meetings. For 2010 NARALO Monthly Meetings, 2011 NARALO Monthly Meetings. This will just really serve to clean up our dashboard and our Wiki, really. A second 2.4 – Sorry. That was repeated.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

2.5 Staff – Please archive all the Toronto preparation activity under a new subfolder.

2.6 Staff – On the University-Community Partnership for Social Action Research Due Diligence Issue, did Legal ever regard the question of their applicability?

2.7 Staff – Please advise on upcoming elections posts and timeline.

2.8 Staff – Please continue to develop the Active Documents section of NARALO.

2.9 Myself – I will be unavailable to attend the Durban meeting in person as secretary. We will be calling for volunteers on this call to substitute, so staff please be prepared to tally an informal consensus vote.

2.10 Staff – Please move the comment by Thomas Lowenhaupt on the NARALO front page to a new page under Miscellaneous until we can determine the proper location. These are important comments which need to be prepared and categorized properly.

2.11 Staff – Please be prepared to record the consensus for the ISOC and ALS application which we will be voting on today.

2.12 Staff – The link for operating principles on the RALO Organizing Document page leads to a dead link. Please investigate and update.

That's it.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you, Darlene. This is Garth Bruen for the record. Before we go into the full agenda, on two 2.6, does staff have a response at this time for that?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. Could you please repeat 2.6?

GARTH BRUEN: 2.6 refers to the ALS application for the University-Community Partnership on Social Action Research. They withdrew their application, but we were expecting a note from Legal about their applicability.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi again. I'm sure that Legal responded. I thought that basically the next step was that we needed to contact that organization. I'm not sure that they officially withdrew. I think, basically, that one of the directors at that organization said that the person who submitted it for that organization had not done his own due diligence in a way and had not really contacted or spoken to the other people. So I think it was sort of within their organization that they needed to do some more work as well as discuss. Perhaps we could contact them as well.

GARTH BRUEN: This is Garth. I did make several attempts to contact them. I didn't hear back. I think that the issue about Legal's answers is a separate question, and it's something that we need be aware of for future applications. That's why I continue to have this as an action item.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. I think the issue was whether that organization was able to be a NARALO analyst, given its global reach. That's what we need to find out from that organization, and we wrote back to that organization, asking those questions that have been sent in on the mailing list and never received a reply from them.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. I thought that there was an outstanding question from Legal, but we can go back and review this. All right.. This is Garth. I do see that Olivier has had his hand up, so I'm going to go to him right away. Please, Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Mr. Chairman, and I've got a point of order on 2.9. You mentioned, "Staff, please be prepared to tally an informal consensus vote." It's either informal; it's either a consensus; or it's a vote. You can't have a consensus and a vote at the same time. You can have a consensus call where you don't take a vote and you basically make a call and say, "Anybody against XYZ," or against something, or you can ask to take the temperature of the room I guess by asking people to vote, but you can't have a consensus and a vote, except if, of course, everyone votes the same way, in which case there is consensus at that point.

GARTH BRUEN: This is Garth. It's unfortunate, confusing wording. We just have two people who have put their name forward so far, so I think that we are going to have some sort of a count. I think if we only had one candidate,

there would be a consensus issues, but it seems now we have two names so far. It could be more when we do this on the call further down. How would you suggest, Olivier, we best handle it if we have several candidates?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: This is Olivier for the transcript. It's really up to you and I guess it's up to the people who are on this call. I was just referring to the nomenclature itself, as it's being on the agenda, it being one or the other. But I'm not going to help you out on whether one is better. I mean, fine. Informally, I'd basically tell you to just have a quick vote. There is a system we can use on the Adobe where you can have a quick vote that takes place if there is no consensus. That's all.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you, Olivier, for keeping us on the straight and narrow. Much appreciated.

Agenda item three is just a review of the Beijing meeting. I'm not going to go into the actual details that are listed here because several of them are actually covered in depth within the call later. But the issues there are archived and links are provided to transcripts in the meeting agenda, so if people want to review it it's certainly there, and we can bring it up for discussion later if there's anything in there that people feel strongly about.

So if there are no objections, we'll go right down (inaudible). Agenda item number 4 which is the communication strategy. This is an ongoing project. There are some standing items.

Skipping down to 4.2, we had a discussion with staff in Beijing concerning the ALS application within NARALO and it was brought to my attention that ALAC is reviewing the application in general, so automating it as an online form at this time might not be prudent since the actual application itself may change.

What we decided within this session is that we will create a PDF form which will actually include—

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi.

GARTH BRUEN: Heidi, I'm sorry. I didn't hear anything you said. There's feedback on the line. Heidi, maybe if you could type it in the chat we can understand what you said. Eduardo has his hand up. Please, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, I'm not aware that ALAC is looking into this form. Do you know anything about that? I mean, can you be more precise because I haven't heard that in ALAC? Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: This is Garth. When I spoke to staff about creating an online form, staff actually told me that ALAC was reviewing the form. So this information came from staff, and maybe Heidi would have been able to answer that but I couldn't hear what she was saying. If anybody else within ALAC wants to put their hand up if they know anything about the form

content being reviewed and updated, maybe you can help. Maybe Olivier knows something about it. No? Okay.

All right. Well, I think that, regardless of that, the PDF form is a good next step. It's a way to further automate what we do in terms of applications and streamline our efforts on a small scale to fix some issues for our potential membership, and it's possibly something that may be adopted later by At-Large (Wide). We'll find out for sure what the situation is with ALAC, if it's there and if Heidi ever comes back online. I actually don't even see her listed anymore. Maybe she lost her connection.

Gisella, do you know if Heidi is actually connected?

GISELLA GRUBER:

Garth, Gisella here. I'm just checking if Heidi is still on the line. She dropped. We are waiting for her to dial back in, and Olivier has joined us again. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay, thank you. Glenn McKnight has his hand up. Please, Glenn. Okay, I will come back to Glenn. I can't hear his voice either. Maybe he has his microphone off.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Hey. I unmuted. It took a little while. Can you hear me okay?

GARTH BRUEN:

Go ahead, please.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Since recently I went through this process – I think, Garth, I sent you some screen captures. More than just the printable PDF, I think there were a number of links that were broken as well on the page if you recall. Garth, do you remember that conversation?

GARTH BRUEN: Of course. This is Garth. And in going through updating and converting the document to PDF, I am finding a lot of these inconsistencies and making a note of them. Was that it, Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. I just don't want to lose the fact that one thing is the document to complete for an ALS application, but also the website had, too, had some issues. That's all.

GARTH BRUEN: Absolutely. Much appreciated. I think the first step in making the form as simple and straightforward as possible is a good first step. That's where we're going in that direction, and that's what came out of the Beijing meeting and discussion with staff.

We also are going to work with staff to create an online application for individual NARALO members which will cover all the requirements for becoming an individual member. Alan Greenberg was involved in this discussion and, unless he objects – he did approve in person. I don't believe he's on the call right now, but if anybody has any questions about that, they can certainly ask him later.

4.3 We also have become aware of an indigenous population fellowship program. Considering the number of indigenous peoples within North America, this is a very important potential program for us and recruiting tool for us.

Glenn has found some contacts, and I also have some contacts at what is called the American Indian College Fund which is an organization in the United States which promotes tribal colleges and tribal education. I'm going to be contacting some folks there about possibly getting some of their interested people involved in getting them to know about At-Large and maybe recruiting them to become ALSs. And I know some other folks within the region also have some potential contacts, so this is something we're going to keep an eyes on.

I also received staff – this is item 4.4 – I have 100 NARALO pamphlets, and once the new PDF is complete and posted and tested, we'll be issuing some contact letters with instructions for this application along with the pamphlets and sending them out to various organizations that were identified by NARALO in Toronto.

I'm also planning to have an informal meeting – time and location to be determined, in Boston, in the Boston area – to actually meet with some folks and possibly drum up some membership and get some new contacts. Heidi, you have your hand up. Go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you, Garth. This is Heidi for the record. If we can just go back for a moment to the indigenous point, the prior one?

GARTH BRUEN: Go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Glenn, and others who are working on that, Darlene perhaps, I've just become aware recently that APRALO Kariatiana is also starting to work on that with his indigenous people in New Zealand, so it might be something that you would want to work on together.

The latest on that is that Glenn did send some statistics on that, and Janice is currently reviewing it. So I'm hoping to get back to you on that very shortly for the next step. But in the meantime, again, you might wish to start reaching out to Kariatiana. I can give you those contact details.

GARTH BRUEN: Absolutely. I'd appreciate it. Some efforts may not translate between regions, but we can certainly discuss it.

HEIDI ULLRICH: (inaudible)

GARTH BRUEN: Heidi, I think while you dropped off the call you were starting to say something about the application update. Do you have any comments on that?

HEIDI ULLRICH: The application in terms of (inaudible)?

GARTH BRUEN: Of automating it and updating it.

HEIDI ULLRICH: The Wiki page that we had spoken about?

GARTH BRUEN: Yeah. I was discussing it before you dropped off the call and you started to say something, but everything you said became jumbled.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry – but what I was saying was that I could not hear you, and it turns out I was just walking through a garage so I couldn't hear. My call failed, so if you could just repeat that.

GARTH BRUEN: I'd rather you not get hit by a car.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Well, the question is that staff told me in Beijing that ALAC At-Large was looking at updating the ALS application. Is this actually true?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. They're looking at it but, again, we're still working on that. Olivier might want to add to that.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. All right. I'll give him an opportunity if he wants to. Glenn, you still have your hand up. Did you have a further comment?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. I'm just concerned about the deadline dates for the fellowship for Buenos Aires. It's only a month away, so I know Heidi and I chatted about a short report. So Heidi, if there's anything we get to the powers that be as quickly as possible... I hate to see any native groups not taking advantage of the fellowship if it's available for Argentina.

GARTH BRUEN: This is Garth. We should schedule a new outreach committee meeting as soon as possible so we can get on top of that. Darlene, you have your hand up. Please, Darlene.

DARLENE THOMPSON: Yes, Darlene Thompson. I also sent some working in to you, Garth. Did that make it up to staff so that Janice could see it – in regards to this issue?

GARTH BRUEN: Not that I'm aware of. We'll have to go back and check. I don't recall getting any language about this.

DARLENE THOMPSON: I did send it to you a few months ago and we discussed it on the conference call that you were going to add to it. Maybe I'll just send my language in to staff so that they can maybe send it to Janice.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, but make sure you Cc: the regions.

DARLENE THOMPSON: Oh yeah.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. All right. We need to get into some other items. These are all things that we have to keep an eye on. Darlene, you still have your hand up. Did you have a further comment? Nope. She took her hand down. Okay.

All right. We want to jump into agenda item 5, our community. The first item, 5.1, we have the ALS Spotlight with the Foundation for Building Sustainable Communities with Glenn McKnight, and Glenn McKnight has provided us with a presentation. I will turn it over to him and staff. Please go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. I assume Matt's going to put the slideshow in the middle.

GARTH BRUEN: So everybody can see it.

(HEIDI ULLRICH): Gisella, could you please do that? Here we go, thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Nothing is being shared so far.

(HEIDI ULLRICH):

Gisella, I think it's being loaded. Here we go.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Adobe Presenter is coming. Okay, so quite quickly, thanks for the opportunity to provide some information. I guess you guys have control of the slides, or do I have control? Oh, it looks like I do.

A little bit of background. I'll talk about our (inaudible) developments, our ICANN involvement, and our current projects. Our organization – we set up the foundation in 2003 as a federal foundation. Our mission is to preserve and cultivate sustainable facilities. We have three main mandates: local food, ICT for development, and Heritage and Conservation.

The first project that we're known for locally in our own community is the Windfields Community Garden and the Canadian Victory Garden. Second is our WOWEM Project, which is a (HE) Technology Magazine, and the DIY for Girls Project. It's working with Hacker Labs to provide technical training – I'll go into more detail in a second – on digital literacy. The last thing is the War of 1812 Oshawa Heritage Canada Project.

Again, we are a founder of the Durham Free-Net. When the Free-Net had a simple dial-up in the early '90s, we went on to manage the Industry Canada Connecting Canadians Program for the greater Toronto area. We then activity involved with industry certification, including IT Certification with Novell Netware, Oracle DBA and Developer, Windows NT, and subsequently MCSC for private vocational schools.

Always been interested, in terms of skills upgrading, curriculum development, and IT certification. Evan and I worked very closely together with the Linux Professional Institute with developing the world's leading Linux Certification, development, and implementation.

In the last two years, I've been working on Android and iPhone mobile development. I'll be presenting with Murray, actually, end of this month – if he's on the phone – on the mobile conference on some of the mobile applications that we've been developing, particularly on the three projects that I mentioned earlier.

Next, that's a screen capture of our website. That's www.FBSC.org. In the middle is a recruitment poster to recruit Canadians against the American hordes. Very few Americans on the call that would defend Canada.

On the right is the Community Garden. That's what we did with Community Policing: 80 volunteers in our garden program which we've developed to give food to the local food banks.

Next is, more in particular with this group, is our WOWEM Project, the technology launch of our women's magazine in technology. That is being done with, actually, iTripoli Canada, and also with ISOC headquarters. We just secured 40 girls to take our first course that are a part of Girl Guides for the DIY for Girls. The course will be a short course teaching open source coding, Adreno, (inaudible) Wearable Computing. That's our symbol. I think that was Rosie the Riveter, but in a digital format.

This is our website for the WOWEM Project itself where we state emphatically that women represent only 47% of the Canadian workforce, but only 30% of the IT sector in Canada, and our plan is to try to help young girls in particular understand technology.

iTripoli HTC. As you know, I've been promoting NARALO as well as with NomCom to the iTripoli community. There are 450,000 engineers around the world. Many of the founders of the Internet were iTripoli members, and also the Internet Hall of Fame has many, many iTripoli members. One of our plans is to showcase Canadians who particularly were there at the beginning of rolling out the Internet.

Again, the iTripoli has a special committee called the Humanity and Technology Challenge, and the three mandates that we worked on in Washington for the past five years has been mainly my focus: reliable electricity, but also data connectivity and ID patient records. This was a project, as it states, that was partnered with the UN Foundation.

That morphed into something called the iTripoli Canada HIC, the Humanitarian Initiative Committee, and for two years we've been rolling out student competitions for Canadian university students in engineering to develop open source and open hardware solutions. The first year, we worked with Dr. Laura Stachel of Oakland who developed the WE CARE Solar Suitcase. And then we've written a number of articles on www.OpenHardware.com.

This year we just came back from Regina and we had a competition of three students: one from University of Regina, Waterloo, and Ryerson. The winner was a lady from Waterloo on small hydro.

ICANN involvement. Mainly my personal involvement as a volunteer goes back to the capacity building session in Mexico City, NomCom rep for the last two year, wrapping up this in Durban. I've been involved with the Academy Working Group, fundraising for the ALAC Recognition Night, NARALO Outreach Table organizer and promo video and survey.

These are some of the 30+ videos that I produce, called the ICANN video shorts which will be used in the ICANN Academy, as well – very short little tidbits of information. Many of the people you know in the screen capture here.

Finally, I've been responsible with a number, including Evan, to the launch of ISOC Canada. I'll leave that on the page on some of the links that I've mentioned. That's it.

GARTH BRUEN: This is Garth. Thank you so much, Glenn. I don't know, considering that it's been over 100 years since the U.S. invaded Canada, that we need to keep talking about that.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: 200 years.

GARTH BRUEN: Yeah. You know, this "defend Canada stuff from America" is getting old. Anyway.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Garth, last year was the 100th Anniversary of the War of 1812.

GARTH BRUEN:

Yeah, well. Thank you very much. That was a great presentation. It's great to see what the ALSs do. I think this has been a very, very useful tool for us, rather than just looking around the table at a meeting and just seeing a bunch of other Internet policy wonks who don't really have any known background. This really allows us to get into each other's frame of mind and understand where we all come from.

In order to elevate this discussion of presenting the ALSs, I'm going to redo my presentation because Dana was one of the first people to present a video, which I think is great – to add media to our presentation of the ALS Spotlights. So I'm going to do a video for next month and we're going to say that this kind of resetting the cycle.

And then, moving forward, we're just going to go through the remaining ALSs in alphabetical order. We'll give everybody in the region a really nice calendar and lots of heads-up time to be able to develop a short presentation for the Spotlights. This is just a great way to get all of the ALSs engaged and bring them to the calls so everybody can hear their stories. I've been really pleased with the way that this is coming together.

I was thinking that we might skip the July Spotlight because it's right before the week before Durban. We might be a little busy, so we'll start this new cycle in August if everybody's comfortable with that.

Moving on to 5.2 – Status of ALS Applications and Regional Advice. We are in the process or processing the ISOC Canada application for ALS. Staff, can you advise of the status of that application? Do we have Heidi or Gisella or Sylvia to at least just tell us what the status of that application is?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, Garth. This is Silvia. I sent a request for NARALO to provide the regional advice. The due diligence has been completed, so at this stage we need to get the regional advice from NARALO.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you very much, Silvia. This is Garth. We've been receiving some great comments – they've all been positive – on the mailing list. There were a couple of questions, and I believe all the questions have been answers. If, at this time, we could do a quick checkbox or X mark within Adobe if you agree to the consensus of supporting this application.

I'm going to put mine in first, and if anybody else wants to put their checkbox in – and if you object to this application, please put a red X in. Please let us know why; get some comments out there, and possibly any discussion. Otherwise, we're going to start going through the process of approving this application for ALS membership.

I see one, two, three. I see four checkboxes. I see five checkboxes. I see six. Okay, I'm guessing that Evan is abstaining because of his involvement. Maybe Louie is also, and Joly are also obtaining because of their involvement in ISOC.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I'm facing some technical problem.

GARTH BRUEN: And Olivier can't vote.

“My lack of a checkbox is not a lack of approval; rather than a conflict of interest on the vote.” Yes, of course.

JOLY MCFIE: Garth, what are we voting on? I wasn't paying attention?

GARTH BRUEN: This is the regional advice to support the application of ISOC Canada to be an ALS in NARALO, Joly.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Garth, this is Eduardo. What's your conflict of interest?

GARTH BRUEN: I don't have one. Evan has a conflict.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I'm one of the applicants.

GARTH BRUEN: Yeah.

JOLY MCFIE: Okay.

GARTH BRUEN: It looks like we have a nice collection of checkboxes. It don't think that Adigo can vote on anything, so I'm not too worried about that. All right.

So I think staff can record that it was favored on this call and we can move on to the next item.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Thank you all.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you, everybody. Thank you for the applications.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Yes.

GARTH BRUEN: Next item, 5.3: Substitute secretary for Durban ICANN 47. Secretary Darlene Thompson is going to be unavailable to travel to this trip, so what we're going to do is we're calling out to some volunteers to become the temporary secretary for this trip, to shadow the secretary and help out with some of the on-the-ground logistics at the Durban meeting.

I have an alert that says one person has their hand raised, but I actually don't see anybody's hand up in the chat room.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Garth, this is Heidi. It's Darlene's hand.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Please, Darlene.

DARLENE THOMPSON: Darlene Thompson speaking for the transcript record. I just wanted to make it clear to everybody that I will be remotely attending all of the ALAC and leadership meetings – remotely, from home – so I will be able to help out. But as Garth correctly just stated, there are some on-the-ground logistics. There are also some lunch or breakfast meetings that, of course, do not have remote participation. And sometimes we have meetings with other groups which do not have remote participation.

So those are the parts that will be absolutely essential that the person that ends up going will definitely need to be representing me in the region. I can help any way I can remotely, by e-mails and Skype, but we do need someone on the ground there. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you, Darlene. This is Garth. This is very important. I hope everybody's paying attention. The first thing we're doing is, I am making a call out right now. If everybody could clear off their checkboxes.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Louie still has his.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, there we go. Thank you.

The first thing I'm going to do is I'm putting out a call on this call for volunteers to provide that on-the-ground support, and you will be travel-sponsored. This call goes out to everybody who isn't already sponsored as an officer through ALAC or through some other ICANN

working group. It's available to any representative of any accredited NARALO ALS.

We already have two volunteers. Number one is Dharma Dailey. Dharma Dailey is one of our original NARALO signatories. Her name and signature appear on the Memorandum of Understanding. She's been a long-standing member. She was at the summit in Mexico City.

We have a second volunteer, Murray McKercher, who's one of our newest members. His first meeting, I believe, was in Toronto, and Murray's been participating on the Outreach Committee.

So far those are the two names I have. Is anybody else interested in running for this quick, temporary posting? If you're on the call, please put your hand up or please make your voice heard. I will give you a minute to do so. Thank you.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Garth, this is Evan. Can I take a moment while you're waiting?

GARTH BRUEN:

Please do. Chat away.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Two points. First of all is to repeat what was said in the e-mail list that anybody who wants to put their name forward has to make sure that they are available to be out of the country between July 2-12, I believe. My computer's down, so I forget exactly what days ahead. But there is a

ten-day window in July where you must be available to be outside of the country.

Because of the length of the flight, it's going to be essentially two hours back and forth to North America in both directions. So even though the meeting itself is from Sunday to Thursday, you're basically going to have to be available from Friday to the following Saturday.

Also, just double-check both the entry requirements for South Africa. I don't believe a visa is required for Canadians or Americans; however, I believe that there's a requirement that your passport be valid for a certain amount of time after your visit. So just make sure that anybody who's putting their name forward has to at least be able to do the travel.

The other thing that I was going to ask the staff was, how difficult would it be to set up a quick Big Pulse to be able to do this as a proper vote if necessary?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Evan, this is Heidi. We can do that today if that's necessary. But you'll see... Evan, you might not be able to see it since you're not in the Adobe Connect, but we're setting up a poll on that right now.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. I just wondered if it was worth making this beyond just a call.

HEIDI ULLRICH: People are already voting, it looks like (inaudible).

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Oh, okay.

GARTH BRUEN:

Yeah. Heidi said that she set up this poll. People are already putting their votes in. Actually, it's moving very, very quickly. This is fascinating. Olivier has his hand up. Please, Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much, Garth. It's Olivier for the transcript record. So if I am to understand, you're currently doing the poll here – and by the way, I called up to set up the online poll like this and I gathered the only people we had... Well, actually I don't know.

I don't think even anyone has the access to who has voted what. That kind of makes it good because, since we're voting on people, it usually is the only kind of vote that would make sure it doesn't bring any added ill feelings and so on. So the vote is usually conducted anonymously.

Did you want to just have the people on this call to make their choice, or did you want all of NARALO to make their choice? In which case, you probably will have to issue a Big Pulse vote out there, but you'll have to wait five days, minimum time, to have all the results.

GARTH BRUEN:

Yeah.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

I'm not going to vote, by the way (inaudible),so I'm registered at the moment as "no vote."

GARTH BRUEN: Okay.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Just to prove it to you, for example, I'm going to clear out this vote for Murray just now and I'm going to "no vote." So I'm back to "no vote." Okay?

GARTH BRUEN: Okay.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That's all. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you, Olivier. So in terms of the anonymity of this vote, I mean, staff, is it anonymous completely? Are you not able to record who voted how? Because if we do have an additional vote outside of this call, it would have to be a completely fresh vote then, I would guess.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi, Garth. No, we're not able to see who's voting, and I do note that Evan is not able to vote at the moment.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: And I also see Joly's asking... There was no notice on the list that this would be voted on this call.

GARTH BRUEN: Joly, it is under – it's 5.3.2.

DARLENE THOMPSON: Correction, Heidi. Joly is saying there was notice on the list that it would be voted on in this call.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct, sorry. Sorry. Thank you, Darlene.

GARTH BRUEN: Yeah. I'm sorry, Joly. This all came up very, very quickly late last week and we've been kind of putting together the way to do it. I got ALAC advice on how to move forward with this this morning and I sent out an announcement about it as soon as I possibly could.

JOLY MCFIE: This is Joly. There was notice on the list. That's what I'm saying is that (inaudible) bit more of the whole list as well as notify (inaudible).

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. All right. I'm sorry. I misread what Joly said.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Me, too. This is Heidi. I did, too. Sorry. For the record.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Garth, this is Evan. I'm unable to vote because I'm not online. Alan is not here. There might be other people that have an interest. Is there a way to do something of a hybrid? To take whatever technology you're using to hold the poll – hold it now, continue to have it open for maybe another twelve hours, but not have to go through the grief of doing a Big Pulse?

GARTH BRUEN: Does the staff have any kind of recommendation on that? I believe they already said that they can't actually record who's voting how at this point.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. Yeah. We have no... We can't see who's voting, so I would recommend that we just do a Big Pulse. We can set that up today if you'd like.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: But you say it needs a whole five-day gestation period. I mean, can we not have something that's over a fairly quick period of time?

HEIDI ULLRICH: You can run it as long as you like. In my view, it's up to Garth. We can do a three-day vote if you'd like.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I mean, there's no gun to our head. We don't need to give something to Constituency Travel this week.

GARTH BRUEN: In that case, I think it's fair to maybe give it a three-day vote. Maybe if people could put a consensus check to give this a three-day vote so we don't actually have to resolve it on this call.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay.

GARTH BRUEN: All right. Olivier has his hand up again. Glenn did have his hand up, but he dropped it. Olivier, please go ahead. You absolutely did. I saw you. But Olivier, go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I put my vote. I cleared it with my (inaudible) vote.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, that's fine. Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Garth. It's Olivier for the transcript. I was just going to say (inaudible) why try to rush it in three days? Constituency Travel doesn't need the list yet, and it probably would not hurt if it was five days, just because people don't check their e-mails that much.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: All right. That's fine with me.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: From experience, usually try and put five working days and, since it's Monday, you can leave it on for the week. There's no real pressure at this very point in time to have a name. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: This is Garth. That's fine. We'll do this for five days unless anybody objects. Glenn, you have your hand up now?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. There's a lot of discussion about anonymity to the names. I'm viewing all the votes. I can see exactly how everybody voted.

GARTH BRUEN: You're kidding me. Where?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: On this poll. You click on "View Votes."

GARTH BRUEN: Oh yeah.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I can see how you voted, Eduardo.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I see myself; I see Gordon. The only person – obviously Evan hasn't gone in. Most of us on this call have voted, except Murray. He's remote; he's on mobile. Darma's not there. So most of us have voted already. But you know what? Do it for five days with Big Pulse. Not a bad idea.

(HEIDI ULLRICH): Garth, should I just close this so people can't see that?

GARTH BRUEN: Yeah, I think so.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Well, I'm just telling you. You guys were saying you don't see it. I see it.

GARTH BRUEN: Let's go to Big Pulse to give the region the full opportunity to vote.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, and Matt's just asking just to confirm that the names will be "Murray McKercher," "Dharma Dailey," and "Abstain."

GARTH BRUEN: Correct.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Yes, thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. We'll star that at 2359 UTC today.

GARTH BRUEN: That will be fantastic. Thank you very much, staff, and everybody for your corporation and understanding.

HEIDI ULLRICH: It seems like only hosts and presenters are able to see the results in detail.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, so it was just Glenn because he had the presentation. Okay.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I'm special today.

GARTH BRUEN: Yeah. You're special every day, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, this is Garth. If there are no objections, we can move on from this item because we still have some procedural issues to submit.

Potential for (de-accreditation) of the Alberta Community Network Association. This was an item we were going to try and get to in Beijing.

Unfortunately, we were not able to do so, but it's something that we need to start reviewing at this time.

And actually, some of the other regions – notably the Asia Pacific Region, and actually, the Latin American/Caribbean Region also asked me – they want to see the results of this. They're curious about it because they have some defunct organizations as ALSs and they want to know how we do it. They want to understand the process, and I want to understand the process better.

Darlene, would you mind discussing very briefly what the status of this organization is, and what the process is according to the bylaws in terms of removing an organization? Thank you.

DARLENE THOMPSON:

Certainly. Darlene Thompson here. I personally know the people who were in the Alberta Community Networks Association that were interested from ICANN from the get-go, and this was some years ago. So I actually have had personal contact with them to find out what was happening.

The Alberta Community Networks Association no longer exists as an association. They are completely defunct. They have no more web presence. If you try to call their phone number, you get an individual phone number. And I have had confirmation from the people that used to work there that no longer work there that they are dead and gone – completely gone, gone, gone.

So we still have them listed as an active ALS. Our Operating Principles says that “when an ALS representative doesn't vote in three consecutive

NARALO elections or doesn't contribute to a comment on ICANN policy through collaboration on the At-Large discussion lists in twelve consecutive months, it automatically loses its voting rights and active status in NARALO."

So that would have happened quite some time ago, but now that they're completely defunct, what do we do? So it continues.

"The ALS should be notified of the status change..." Well, we can't really do that because they don't even exist. "...and may regain its voting rights and active status if, within the next twelve months, it votes or participates to online discussions." Again, that's not going to happen because they're dead. "Otherwise, the chair will submit to ALAC a request for decertification of that ALS."

So that's basically the last step that needs to be done on that particular ALS.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. This is Garth. Staff, do we have an actual street address for this organization?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. We would need to look into that.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, because I'm wondering... I mean, even though Darlene has commented about the unavailability of the e-mail address, of the phone number, if we had something like that as part of our documentation and

actual rejected postal mail or something in writing that we could put into the record... That's just a thought.

And I note that Olivier has had his hand up. Perhaps he has a comment about this issue. Olivier, do you still need to say something?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Garth. It's Olivier for the transcript record. Yes, I was going to follow up on Darlene's very good explanation of what the processes in (NARALO). As far as the ALAC is concerned, at the moment there is nothing in the rules of procedures as such – the previous rules of procedure.

However, there is an adjunct document which you can consult on the web, which provides details of ALS certification. It's the very document which basically explains how ALSs are certified. It also explains how ALSs are decertified. Effectively, the ALS has to contact the main contact of the ALS – what once received the recommendation to be certified – to try and find out if they agree or if they have any comment on decertification.

Then there needs to be a vote by the ALAC where, I think it's three-quarters of the votes – and, staff, if that's incorrect, because I haven't got the details in from of me for some reason.

HEIDI ULLRICH: It's two-thirds, Olivier. This is Heidi.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Two-thirds. Okay, thank you. Thank you, Heidi. Two-thirds of the vote needs to be in favor of decertifying this ALS. During the forthcoming ALAC call, I shall be putting forward two names of ALSs that will be undergoing this process for Asia. One because the ALS is defunct. We have been asked by the organization to which it was attached to, to decertify this ALS (inaudible)

The other one, being that the main contact point for the ALS is winding the ALS up and has basically told us that he wants the ALS to be decertified (inaudible) So they're in agreement in that case

The case that you are describing here is one where the ALS appears to have disappeared. You will need to e-mail or to get in touch with that At-Large structure to get a response, or I can send an e-mail.

On one of the two APRALO ALSs, I've e-mailed them. I have received a bounce from them. The domain name does not exist anymore, and I will put it to the ALAC that this constitutes good enough proof that the ALS has pretty much disappeared. That's all. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you, Olivier. This is Garth. But just a follow up, I would feel comfortable if I did have the street address and I was able to write them a formal letter. Staff can follow up with me later on if they find that.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Garth, this is Heidi. As I put it in chat, yes, we do have that street address. We have a full address, so I can send that to you after the call.

GARTH BRUEN: Great. I appreciate it. Thank you very much. Is there anybody else who wants to comment on this issue before I move on? Is anybody's hand up in the chat?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Garth, it's Evan. Just a very quick comment that I'm really happy with the deliberative process that you're taking with this. It's necessary to take every possible measure, and while all the surface evidence does indicate that this should be quick and easy to do, your diligence in this is appreciated.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. This is Garth. As I believe I stated before, I think that this is a process that should be taken lightly, and we should be focused on re-engaging the community when they've dropped off.

But moving on to agenda item 5.5: Elections, elections, elections. The election cycle is coming up for the region, and if Darlene and staff could advise of which positions are coming up for election and maybe something about the terms of each post. Some of them are one year; some of them are two years. Some of them, I believe, are term limit, and some of them are not. Thank you. Over to you, Darlene.

DARLENE THOMPSON: Darlene Thompson speaking. The secretariat position and the chair position are one-year terms that come up every year – and I will go through how we go about voting and all of that in just a minute or two –

but they can be re-elected for any number of terms that the region wants them there, basically, for.

Now for the ALAC positions, an ALAC position goes for two years and can be elected again for a second two-year term, and then that's it. They can only get two terms. So I believe it's only Evan that's coming up to his second, his term ending. Staff, could you please confirm this?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Darlene, this is Heidi.

DARLENE THOMPSON: Yes?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Evan is AGM 2012. (And 2014, it's Eduardo). Well, his position ends at the AGM in 2013. For what I'm seeing, he is eligible for re-election.

DARLENE THOMPSON: Excellent.

EDUARDO DIAZ: This is Eduardo. That's correct.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. And I've just put that link into the (inaudible).

DARLENE THOMPSON: That is right, Eduardo?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, it's correct what Heidi's saying. Yes.

DARLENE THOMPSON: Excellent. Okay. So it's Eduardo, not Evan. Please excuse me. So he will be coming to the end of his first two-year run and he will then be eligible for re-election if he chooses to run again this year.

Now as per our Rules of Procedure, Section 11 states that at least once a year...

First of all, back track, back track. Although this is mainly addressing the ALAC position, we have always used these dates as well for the chair and secretariat position because it kind of makes sense to do them all at one time, rather than scattering them across the year and having a whole lot more work to do. So anywhere it says ALAC, think also chair and secretariat, although they are for different term lengths.

So at least once a year – this is Section 11, Rules of Procedure. “Once a year, on or before the 1st of July, or whenever a vacancy arises, the NARALO shall issues a call for Statements of Interest for members of the North American Internet community to serve on the ALAC.”

Please, again, read, “ALAC, chair, and secretariat.”

“The call for Statements of Interest shall be open for at least 30 days. New ALAC –chair, secretariat – members will be selected and announced sufficiently in advance of ICANN's annual meeting to allow

them to be seated as required by paragraph 10 – because they must be seated at the end of the next ICANN meeting following this.”

Section 12. “After the close of the period for submissions of Statement of Interest, the NARALO shall convene its General Assembly to select its members for the ALAC. Selection of the ALAC should be made through a rough consensus process.”

Then it describes what “rough consensus” is, basically, throughout the rest of it. Now we have never done this through rough consensus because, frankly, our region is not comfortable with discussing people and personalities over a list. So this has always been done by a Big Pulse vote.

So the long and the short of it is that we call for the Statements of Interest on the 1st of July, and then we give it a month for Statements of Interest to come in. Then people can question the people that have put in as volunteers. Last year we made up a Wiki page so that people could put their Statement of Interest up on the Wiki page and people could ask questions, and the volunteers could then reply back to the questions answers and have a bit of discussion that way.

Then after the month is done, then we take a Big Pulse vote and then it's done. That's it.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay, thank you. This is Garth again. Now we have a question about the NomCom positions. I believe that there's also NomCom appointees to ALAC and appointees to the NomCom committee. Heidi has put in a

large section in here about the... I guess it's just information about the election. Glenn, you have your hand up. Please go ahead, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. The NomCom goes for two years, and you can only serve on NomCom for two years. Then you have to take a break for one year, and then you can apply again. I finish in July, so in addition to what Darlene was saying, you need to also have someone – and I cannot apply for it – for this coming July.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you very much. This is Garth. So that is yet another position that we should be concerned about in July. Is that something that we vote on regionally?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Garth, this is Evan. Yes, every region does elect one member to the NomCom, so the NomCom receives five people from At-Large.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Maybe we can explain how Alan's ALAC position functions, since we talked about Evan and Eduardo's two positions.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: This is Evan speaking.

GARTH BRUEN: Yes. Go ahead.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. So we have a little bit of a circular process here in that NARALO sends one person to the NomCom. The NomCom sends one person back to ALAC on behalf of North America. In our case, that is Alan Greenberg. He was appointed by the NomCom for a two-year term, starting the same time as myself and ending the same time as myself. So the NomCom for 2014 will be tasked for choosing a person for ALAC for North America. This year it's choosing people for other regions.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. This is Garth. Just so everyone is clear, that ALAC post is not something that the region votes on.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: And it's not even up for the NomCom this year for North America.

GARTH BRUEN: Got it. Thank you. Glenn, you still have your hand up.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I'm sorry. I'll put it down.

GARTH BRUEN: That's okay. Thank you very much. Okay, good. If everybody is comfortable moving on... This is a very important topic – the elections – and it's something that we're going to keep discussing, but I want to keep going onto agenda item 5.6.

This is something that I want to discuss and put out there for the region to consider. This is about adding officers and expanding our participation within At-Large. I have noted that other regions have vice chairs. I think that the volume of work within the region is expanding and we need some more support on the ground, especially as this group grows with more ALS applications.

I've noted that the vice chair is a common requirement for the General Assembly, so I am looking to draft some language for updating the operating principles and submit it to the region for review, and possibly updating our documents to reflect the need for a chair and hopefully to be able to do that before the elections come up.

Now I'm going to need some advice from our leadership on the process for doing this, but I wanted to see – from the region, with little green checkboxes – how people feel about adding a vice chair post to NORALO. And I've just put my checkbox in.

DARLENE THOMPSON: This is Darlene. I have a question.

GARTH BRUEN: Yes, please, Darlene.

DARLENE THOMPSON: I'm just wondering how that would work because I know that ICANN will only support travel for the chair and secretariat. So this vice chair would only help on the ground, but they would not get the travel support. Is that what you're thinking?

GARTH BRUEN: This is Garth. For my understanding, the vice chairs in other regions do get some travel support. Perhaps staff can clarify that, but while they're thinking about it, I can go to... Eduardo has his hand up. Eduardo? I lost you, Eduardo.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Garth, this is Evan.

GARTH BRUEN: Evan, please.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I think what has traditionally been the case is that Constituency Travel funds five people per region, which is the three ALAC members, the chair, and the secretariat. I believe in situations where any of those five is unable to go, the vice chair immediately would get designated without needing another selection.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I think that's often the way it happens. And then occasionally – and I think this has happened in APRALO – is that you've had situations where the vice chair goes instead of the chair. So by consent within the region. So this is something internally. We get to send... Well, the three ALAC people go and it's up to NARALO whether or not there's a rotation of who goes, or whatever.

At least the practice that I've seen is that for whatever reason, if one of the five people normally funded to go can't go, then the vice chair immediately, without needing a separate decision, would fill that spot.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Thank you. This is Garth. Before I go to Olivier, I want to give Eduardo another chance to see if he is able to talk now because I didn't hear him before. Are you there, Eduardo? I'm sorry, Eduardo. I can't hear you so I'm going to go to Olivier. Olivier, please.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thanks very much, Mr. Chairman. It's Olivier Crépin-Leblond for the transcript record. I'm going to contradict slightly what Evan has said, in that it's just an accepted procedure. It's not something that is written anywhere. And in fact, you can choose whoever you want as the region to send to the meeting from the region.

So effectively you have three ALAC plus two regional leadership. And the two regional leadership, for example, in APRALO, they have a chair, they have two vice chairs, and they have a secretariat. In fact, they have each time chosen whether they want a vice chair or whether they want the secretariat.

They usually send the chair over, then, with either the vice chair or the secretariat. In the case of the chair, it's funded otherwise. Then they might send the two vice chairs or they might send a vice chair and the secretariat. It really depends. And if you choose whatever (permutation) you want out of the people that are there.

Obviously, you could also choose that it would be neither the chair nor the vice chair to go, but it just hasn't happened yet since it's not very helpful to send people who are not the people running the region. Thanks.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you, Olivier. This is Garth again. This is something that I want to continue looking at as a way of expanding our participation because one of the things that I came to realize as I went to the two last meetings as the chair of NARALO is that, while at the meetings, I spent most of my time schmoozing with the officers of other regions. With ICANN staff, we don't actually have – except in the cases of a General Assembly, a summit – where we're really working with members of the region.

We need to figure out ways that we can get more people from the region at the meetings. So this is one avenue to get people more involved. I'd like to have a vice chair. I think it would be a useful tool.

A second item is something that I discussed with a couple of ALAC folks in Beijing, which is the concept of partial funding. I don't know if this is something that has come up before, but is it possible to give people partial funding? For example, maybe if an ALS can pay for their hotel, their flight could be funded. Or vice versa – if they can pay for their flight, then their hotel is funded.

I passed this idea off to a couple of members of ALAC and they seemed to think that this was an interesting idea, and I'd be interested in getting anybody's comments on that. I see Olivier still has his hand up. I don't know if that's from the previous comment. Olivier? No? Okay.

I think in terms of what we're looking for in At-Large, in terms of getting more people to the meetings and getting more participation out of our regions, that these are things that we should be looking at.

One other item that I put into the agenda was also the concept of a floating funded post where possibly somebody from the region – and maybe this would be through a vice chair post – with different people within the region who previously don't get funded would be able to get funding to go to a meeting.

And we obviously have to figure out ways to make that happen, but I think that this would be a good tool to get more participation out of people and get more people to the meetings.

Louie, you had your hand up. Did you have something to say?

LOUIE HOULE: Yes. You were talking about partial funding;

GARTH BRUEN: Yes.

LOUIE HOULE: Well, it would probably be appreciated, especially in the view of having a vice president. Maybe that sometimes, depending where the meetings will be held, it would be enough to have a per diem or at least having, let's say, half of the funding needed in order to just help people to really participate because I agree with you.

We definitely need some more involvement there. You can't do the job – the president can't be doing the whole job alone. Each of us should be contributing a little bit more, I think. Personally, I think we need an incentive for that, and funding is one of the incentives. Okay.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you, Louie.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Garth, it's Evan.

GARTH BRUEN: Yeah, Evan. Go ahead.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Two issues. One about the topic you were just talking about, the partial. I've been involved with previous discussions with Constituency Travel, and usually the big pushback is simply the logistics. They're used to a model where it's all or nothing, and they may not even be capable of handling partials. I know in certain circumstances, like when it was in Toronto, obviously, I didn't get air fare but I got a per diem. And I believe, in Dakar, I believe there's somebody – I forget who it was – that lived in Dakar that did not need travel funding, but got per diem and hotel.

UNIDENTIFIED MAL3: Fatimata.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Thank you. Fatimata. So there's a precedent for that kind of thing, but I don't know if there's a precedent for contributing \$2,000 towards somebody's travel. This may be something that has to be deal with at a higher level because it's simply asking for something that hasn't been done and I don't know if they're equipped to handle it. So I don't know how it's going to be handled, but when it has in the past, that's been the push-back.

On the issue of the first-timers, is there anything from prevents members from At-Large in applying for fellowship?

GARTH BRUEN: This is Garth. Is that a question for staff?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: For staff; for anybody. Olivier, if you know any precedent. I mean, it seems like fellowship is designed explicitly to bring in first-timers who've never attended an ICANN meeting, to fund them to come, and in fact give them some additional sessions in, sort of, ICANN 101 that takes place before the regular meetings.

GARTH BRUEN: Olivier, you have your hand up. Go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Garth. This is Olivier for the transcript record. Yes, you may apply for the fellowship. However, preference is given to people from developing countries. And if it's where you do get it, the

strange thing because there are some parts of the developed world which require more outreach than some parts of the developing world. There have been(half) strict on that.

In Europe, they have actually sent some people as fellows, especially from Eastern Europe, so they're not strictly seeking developing countries, but they are not first-year countries as one would call them with U.N. rules. So I'm not quite sure whether that would fly for the United States and for Canada. It might work for other parts of NARALO that are developing, but maybe not for that.

What we could do would be to ask the person in charge of the fellowship, and that's (inaudible). Get your staff to ask her the question if anyone from North America is liable to be taken as a fellow, and if that's a positive thing then, absolutely, by all means, please, do get people in your region to apply.

There have been several other regions that have been able to send some At-Large structure members who have been able to attend. I'm looking specifically at Asia Pacific and Pacific Island, and also at Africa – and even also yet, Latin America and Caribbean have also managed to send some people under the fellowship (inaudible) At-Large meeting. So try first checking. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you, Olivier. Darlene, you have your hand up. Please go ahead.

DARLENE THOMPSON: This is Darlene Thompson. Yes, I've actually had this discussion with Janice and she said that it would be basically impossible for anybody from Canada or the United States to be able to apply – well, we could apply – but to be accepted under the fellowship program for the exact reasons that Olivier mentioned. It's mainly for people in the developing world, and that doesn't apply to us.

And that's also why – further up earlier in the call, we were discussing about having aboriginal communities or first-nations communities being able to apply to the fellowship program. And that would apply to – that was item 4.3 – so that indigenous populations from North America could apply to the fellowship program because right now, if anybody applies from North America, they're going to get turned down.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. This is Garth. Thank you very much for the robust discussion. Glenn, you have your hand up. Go ahead, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: So my point is, I think the vice chair's a great concept, but I think it's going to be challenging to get anyone to take that position if they can't participate actively in the events because it sort of defeats the whole purpose. So I think we need some kind of solution on this that allows this person to do their job.

GARTH BRUEN: This is Garth. Glenn, we're going to look for a solution, and I think we have to start somewhere. You know, I'm very concerned about this and

that's why I brought it up. I want to get more of our membership engaged, I want to have more incentives, and I want to get more people to the meetings where they can actually be involved in discussions. Whatever avenues we have to explore to make that happen, I'm interested in doing and certainly open to suggestions. Matt, you have your hand up. Please.

MATT ASHTIANI:

Hi, everyone. This is Matt Ashtiani for the record. I just wanted to clarify something. I know a few minutes ago there was the issue of splitting the funding. You can split funding, but you have to think of it in terms of slots where there are three air fare slots, three hotel slots, and three per diem slots. Those can be allocated any way. You just can't reallocate it so you give four air fare slots and two hotel slots and three per diem slots. It has to be three, three, and three.

GARTH BRUEN:

Matt, this is Garth. I have a question for you along these lines. Every time I go to a meeting, I have a big double room with two giant beds. Does anybody ever look at double occupancy?

MATT ASHTIANI:

In what regard? If you and Evan wanted to share a room?

GARTH BRUEN:

Exactly. It wouldn't be Evan, though.

MATT ASHTIANI: I think that's something you can do on your end, but I don't think it's something that ICANN would necessarily do. I mean, we wouldn't put travelers together. I can't imagine that.

GARTH BRUEN: Now here's my question. Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you put travelers together?

MATT ASHTIANI: I'd have to defer to the Constituency Travel department, but if I had to guess, it would be that if people received an e-mail stated that they had been roomed with another traveler, they might have privacy issues.

GARTH BRUEN: This is Garth again. In terms of looking for a solution to being able to provide access to the meetings to more people, members might be voluntarily willing to share a room if it allows them to get to the meeting and save costs for ICANN. This is what I'm talking about.

MATT ASHTIANI: Right. But I think the travelers would have to volunteer to do that. For example, when I was in Constituency Travel, there were two travelers who always shared rooms together and so they only required one reservation. And then, conceivably, the reservation they weren't using is a slot they could have given to someone else in their constituency if their constituency wanted to do so.

GARTH BRUEN: All right. This is something to think about, too. This is Garth. Olivier, you still have your hand up. Is that from the previous question?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: No, Garth. It's a new hand, thank you. It's Olivier for the transcript record. Two things. First on what had been mentioned by Darlene with regards to communities in North America and in other parts of the world that are under-represented of ICANN. I'd like to put it down to the record that it absolutely sucks.

This system sucks and I have spoken to Janice in the past and I will push for this to be rectified because I don't think that regions are being treated equally fairly. You might have a good representation of developing parts of the world, but you certainly have an uneven representation of people in North America and in Europe – but particularly in North America, and I think that's a very (elitist) way to look at things.

So that's one thing. The other thing is to do with what has been mentioned with sharing of rooms. I have personal experience in this. I actually shared a room at (inaudible) meeting. And prior to that I think I shared a room at another – it wasn't Mexico. It was another meeting before that when I was not actually funded so I did not even receive a per diem at the time.

But the idea of sharing a room is something that you can arrange informally if you wish to. There might be an added cost to having a room with a double occupancy rather than single occupancy, but in

general I've found that the hotels are quite okay with having two people in the room. Of course, you need at least two beds. That's of help.

The other thing is there are some other parts of the ICANN community that regularly share rooms. I'm looking at some of the GNSO constituency who have even less funding than we do, and sometimes they share the room even three a room. I've heard of that happening. I'm not saying that you should share three a room, but this is something which has happened. Of course, it's something that could be considered on an informal basis. That's all. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

Olivier, while I have you – this is Garth – what is the basis for limited the travel spots in general? I mean, just thinking in terms of representation, there are over there are over 330 million Internet users in the United States, and I am the only person from the United States – except for Eduardo on ALAC – who is funded to represent Americans at these meetings.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you, Garth. It's Olivier for the transcript. The discussions regarding travelling issues are one of the stable (inaudible) of At-Large. In fact, we've never had it as good as we have at the moment. At the moment, we have 15 members on the ALAC plus another 10 members from the regional At-Large organizations, two from each region, plus two liaison positions – that would be GNSO liaison and the (inaudible) liaison. So that's 27 travelers in total.

Prior to – was it 2009? And Evan might be able to help me on the history here – we were afforded even less than this, and there was even a time when we were going to be told either the ALAC or the RALOS meet up, but the two cannot meet up simultaneously, which absolutely defeated the purpose of meeting. So we are, at the moment, at 27 travelers. Why so few when the budget is so large? Because I guess there's more requests from other parts of the community who get even less slots than we do. ICANN is pretty close to transforming itself into a travel agency, if we continue to grow in this way.

However, you will have noticed that we are receiving occasional funding for General Assemblies, for regional general assemblies. We're also pushing now to obtain funding for a summit that would actually bring all of the At-Large structures together.

If we do get it, I don't think it's something that we will have regularly. But it certainly is something that will help in getting all of At-Large to work better and more efficiently. Certainly the first summit was one which brought all of the ALSs then together, and that was a real booster for At-Large. But I guess for every slot that we have, we need to make a case and we need to make sure that the slots are all properly used. That's all I can say for the time being. Thanks.

GARTH BRUEN:

This is Garth. In order not to belabor the point, I'm going to add this as an agenda item for the Outreach Committee, which is to figure out a strategy to get maximum representation of NARALO at the meetings one way or another.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Garth, this is Evan.

GARTH BRUEN: Yes, Evan. Please.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I would be very, very careful about making some of the kinds of arguments that you're suggesting on this call in a global context. You may be concerned that there are only two people here from the United States. That's twice as much as ALAC has from China, India, and Russia combined. So be very, very careful when you're making that kind of logical argument. It may not get you as far as you think.

GARTH BRUEN: Evan, the point is well-taken. I think that, overall, we need more representation from the global community at these meetings and I know it's very, very hard for lots of different reasons. But if we, as a region, can figure out a way to happen for our membership, then we should do it. Glenn, you have your hand up. Quickly, please.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, I'm sorry. I have to leave really soon, so if I can do my NomCom report fairly soon.

GARTH BRUEN: You know what? We'll close this item. Like I said, I'm going to add it as an agenda to build a strategy for this as part of the outreach strategy.

We'll skip down to the committee working group activity agenda, item 8, and you can give your report on NomCom very quickly. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thanks. I sent the report. We are going to have very truncated reports. We're meeting every week at this stage. At the tail end we got a lot of people back in. We extended our date for the position, so we have lots of great candidates. Thanks, everybody, for plugging your friends, but now the hard work starts. Every week we start evaluating and voting, and then we get down to the nitty-gritty work in Durban.

I don't have much to say. You won't see much from me because it's going to be fairly confidential from this point on. That's it.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you, Evan. Olivier, is your hand up afresh? No? Okay, thank you.

The next agenda item is 6, which actually just provides a schedule of upcoming meetings including the summit in London; the next meeting in Durban, South Africa; and the NARALO General Assembly in a location to be determined.

The next agenda item is 7 which is new gTLDs. There's been very little in activity in this area. There was a webinar on the 9th which linked there within the agenda. There is an agenda for the new gTLD PGM Committee meeting in Amsterdam which is coming up soon. Does anybody wish to comment on either of these items? I'll leave the call open very quickly.

No? Glenn, you still have your hand up. Is that a new hand or an old hand. I think it's an old hand because I think he might have dropped off the call. Okay, moving on them because we already did 8.

Moving on to 9 which is the At-Large Advisory Committee issues. Alan provided a number of issues via e-mail and he said that Olivier could be free to discuss them if needed to. Do you wish to discuss item 9.3, 4, or 6 – or really any of the other items, Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much, Garth. It's Olivier for the transcript record. Just a few things. On the Policy Advice Development page you'll see that there are a lot of current policy developments that are taking place, as per usual. I just invite you all to have a good look through them.

The one to look out for is the one on the Accountability and Transparency Review Team, the ATRT, on which both Alan and myself are both currently sitting. That actually looks at the results of the first Accountability and Transparency Review Team work and the implementation of it. Basically, it is going to also look at new issues.

What this committee does is to affectively look at the board, look at the gap, look at the way ICANN works, and find out if it works in an accountable and in a transparent way, and if it actually serves the purpose that ICANN was supposed to be built on. So it looks at the Affirmation of Commitments and it basically checks if ICANN is currently doing what it says it's doing on the (inaudible)

I know that a lot of people in this community feel otherwise, so we have organized a webinar to take place. I'll have to ask the staff for this. I

keep on forgetting when the webinar will take place. Is it Wednesday or is tomorrow? Staff?

On Thursday at 1300 UTC, I believe, if I'm correct. No, 1100 UTC. So at 1100 UTC on Thursday is a webinar which will have both the chair of the ATRT-2, that's Brian Cote who was also the chair of the first ATRT. We'll have Alan Greenberg on the call, myself. I hope that Avri Doria will also be able to join us. Avri is also part of this committee, although she was brought in from the GNSO side of things. But she very well can share her experience and take questions.

The Public Comment at the moment asks a number of questions. You don't need to answer all of the questions, but what I would like is to get the RALOs to answer those questions. It needs to have a unified response from the RALO or some kind of – maybe not unified because I know there's very little time – but the kind of response that really is one from the region. Of course, if you would like to answer those questions yourself, independently, you very well can do so as well.

At the moment, there's very little input into that process, and there's a real concern on the ATRT that nobody really cares about ICANN's accountability and transparency, and I think that's the wrong message to send out. So I hope that you'll be on the webinar and I hope that the webinar will be able to help you answer those questions and be able to (inaudible) those questions.

We are very determined to leave no stone unturned, but we are time-limited. We need to give our report by the end of the year. It needs to be in the can, so we only have those few months to listen to the community and be told what is wrong with this organization, and

needing suggestions perhaps how to fix it. Basically, we're not going to fix the organization. What this really does is to put down recommendations to the board about what it should do to fix things and what processes should take place for things to be fixed.

So that's the current status, and we're in listening mode of course I think until July until the end of the Durban meeting, we'll be in 100% listening mode. That's all. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you, Olivier. This is Garth. And thank you for everybody who's hanging on to this very, very long meeting with a very long agenda. I appreciate it.

Just as a note on agenda item 9.6, these are recommended changes to the At-Large structure framework submitted by Alan via e-mail. There are four items there – I think language changes to the ROP Adjunct document.

So if nobody else has any other issues with the At-Large Advisory Committee issues, we can close this and move on.

I am going to bypass the ICANN function section, number 10, and go right down to any other business because Evan has posted a very important document which is listed in Any Other Business under item 11.2, and I'd like to give the floor quickly to Evan if he wants it. Thank you.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Thanks very much, Garth. I won't take up much time, and thankfully this actually dovetails very nicely with what Olivier said although this is not ALAC business, per se. I apologize for the background noise. I can't avoid it, so I'll try and keep this brief. Actually, some of that background noise isn't mine, but anyway.

Basically, in a moment of person peak, I sat down and I wrote an opinion piece that I was going to put forward for publication in CircleID or some other publication basically saying that one of ICANN's biggest problems is that it is seen by the world as a regulator of domain names, but in fact it eschews that and denies any responsibility for doing any regulation. And in fact, the use of the "R" word is explicitly stricken from anything to do with ICANN's official proceedings.

In response to that, I crafted a letter. I sent it for comment to a couple of people, and based on the feedback, that has turned into something quite more elaborate than I intended and also was suggested to do this for submission to the ATRT, just as Olivier said, instead of putting it for publication in an industry media or something like that.

The (pointer) right now is to a Google document. It is not widely being circulated. It has essentially been sent to ALAC members and to NARALO essentially for comments. If anybody has something that they disagree with strongly, I may not change it but at least I can help answer it. Alternately, if you want to put your name on as a signatory, that's also welcome.

Right now this is a personal effort. It contains very strong language that would not normally find itself in an ALAC document and, as such, we've made a conscious decisions that this will not be forward for ALAC

endorsement, but is essentially going to be a statement made by a number of concerned individuals who happen to have some in depth in ICANN and may have some reason for saying what they're doing.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you, Evan. This is Garth. Olivier, you have your hand up, please.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Garth. It's Olivier for the transcript. I was just going to add that the word "regulator" is a charged word. It's effectively a function that is bestowed upon you by a government in most cases. So it was just a piece of information to add. But with regards to "regulation" or "perform regulating functions," that's different. Thank you.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Right. The piece itself makes heavy use of the term "regularly function" as opposed to capital "R" Regulator, but ICANN doesn't even do that.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you very much, Evan, and hopefully we'll look for some more discussion about this issue on the list. We're looking forward to it very much. Yes, Evan? Do you have something else?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Just so you know, going forward, as our own kind of little action item moving forward for this, the issue of whether ICANN should engage more in regularly functions may end up being something that is picked

up by the Future Challenges Working Group for ongoing work consideration and advancement by ALAC that go well beyond this individual letter. Thanks. I'm going to put myself on mute because of the background noise. Sorry.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you very much, Evan.

Now there's one other item that was in Any Other Business, which is something that Tom Lowenhaupt put on the Wiki page, on the front page, which concerns At-Large as reserved string for new gTLDs. I think this is an important question. Is Tom actually on the call at the moment?

TOM LOWENHAUPT: Yes, I am.

GARTH BRUEN: Tom, do you want to comment briefly on this issue?

TOM LOWENHAUPT: Yeah. I'd just like to say that, as an entity that's involved at At-Large, and also with the (ccTLD), I think it would be very useful for members of the general public to know that there's a designated place within a city TLD where they can go to address their issues associated with the development and operation of a city TLD.

This might also facilitate cross-city discussions. (inaudible) these are prime abused names or names that have been used for (inaudible)

purposes. People can buy it for overseas 35, 38 At-Large .city domain names. (inaudible)? I don't know if it's not for a specific purpose. I'd like people's thoughts on this and (inaudible) however is appropriate in that regard.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you, Tom. This is Garth. I think that's actually... You've caught something very important that we should be aware of, and I think that any one of these applicants can write that into their application. And this is something that we can recommend be a standard part of the application, and that's something that we can bring up as part of our community objection process, if I'm not mistaken.

So I think that there's probably a lot that we can do here on this issue. I would suggest, Tom, that in addition to it being posted on the Wiki page, that you write up a brief and send it to the list. Could you do that?

TOM LOWENHAUPT:

Yeah, sure thing.

GARTH BRUEN:

Great. Thank you very much.

This call is running very, very long. Does anybody else have anything that they want to bring to the floor before we close up? Seeing no hands and hearing nothing, I would thank everybody else for their time and I'd say keep your eye open for the Big Pulse vote for the temporary secretary. I will talk to you later. E-mail me anything that comes up as an issue. Much appreciated. END OF TRANSCRIPT]