

---

JULIA CHARVOLEN: Welcome everyone to the At-Large Capacity Building Working Group on Wednesday, 26<sup>th</sup> of February 2014 at 21:00 UTC. On the call today we have Tijani Ben Jemaa, Oksana Prykhodko, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Darlene Thompson, Carlos Dionisio Aguirre, Fatima Cambronero. We have apologies from Siranush Vardanyan, Maureen Hilyard and Ali AlMeshal.

From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Carlos Reyes, Ariel Liang and myself, Julia Charvolen. May I please remind all participants to please state your names before speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you and over to you Tijani. Thank you and over to you Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much Julia. Good morning, good afternoon and good evening. This is the call about the Capacity Building Working Group, so today we have the Agenda displayed. Do you agree on it? If there's any opposition please speak up. If I don't see any hand up I assume the Agenda is adopted and we'll go to Item #3 of the Agenda, which is the adoption of the pre-Summit Capacity Building Program.

As you know, we worked in the past on the topics that will be addressed during the Capacity Building for the ALSes prior to the ATLAS II Summit, and we agreed on seven topics, which are: the future of Internet governance; policy, including security and stability; PDP; Rules of Procedure; IPv4 to IPv6 migration; acronyms; and communication. Those are the seven topics. Now we need to defined this Capacity Building Program.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

The Program means how we will do the training, the learning, and what the tools are that we'll use, and who will be the trainer. Then we have other logistics that we have to decide on. So if you don't mind we can start with the trainers. How will we implement this Program? Shall we use staff? Shall we use the community? Shall we use both? Shall we use external persons? This is the question. I open the floor. Please tell me what you think about that.

I can tell you that personally I prefer to use the persons who are working on the issues, from staff, and also the community. I see a hand here from Carlos. Carlos?

CARLOS DIONISIO AGUIRRE: Tijani, thank you. About your question, I don't understand what you want to say. Please can you repeat it?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Carlos, do you think that we have to use staff members that are specialized in the issues to be the trainers, or shall we use the community people who are also skilled in those topics, or should we use both of them, or bring people in from outside?

CARLOS DIONISIO AGUIRRE: Thank you, I understand now.

---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: My assumption is to not use external persons and to use both staff and community to do this work. Is there any other opinion? Okay, I don't see any hands so I assume that we all agree on using both staff and community to do this training. I've asked Heidi, according to the topics, to see how we'll manage that. If Heidi is ready to speak then I'll give her the floor.

HEIDI ULLRICH: We have a list of topics. I've just sent these back to you Tijani, apologies for the delay. These are definitely open to comment. The first topic was future of Internet governance, and I suggested Olivier and perhaps Theresa Swineheart. Do you want to discuss each one in hand or do you want me to just go down the list, Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I do agree with you Heidi that Olivier is a very good person to address this issue. From staff you proposed Theresa, and Theresa is good, she's working hard now. There's a lot of people on staff who are skilled in this, but if you propose Theresa I don't have any objection.

HEIDI ULLRICH: It might be Mandy Carver, who's very good, but Theresa... It might also be who's available. It might be Nigel Hickson – who would be even better I think.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Very good also.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I've put my list here. I'm going to put first names here. Nigel. Does everybody agree on that?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Is there any opposition to Olivier and Nigel? I don't see any hand. I see a green tick from Dev but not opposition. Go ahead Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I see Fatima's question: "Trainers are for webinars," right?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, that's right.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Moving on then, for the topic of policy, including security and stability, I thought Julie Hammer from our community, she's the ALAC Liaison to the SSAC. She's brilliant and can explain these topics very well. Then from staff, either Steve Sheng, who is a fantastic person working with us on SSAC support. He has a PHD in technical issues, and he's also presented to the ALAC in the past. He's a very strong presenter. Or Dave Piscitello, who's a Vice President for security issues. Or [inaudible 08:27].

---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you Heidi. I understand that you took this as security and stability only? But it's policy, including security and stability.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Fatima is suggesting Patrick Fälstrom, which I think is a really good suggestion as well.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, he is the best in security. Do you think that we can find someone who's very good on policy in general?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Policy in general? Sandra said Mikey O'Connor. Is that general policy or is that...?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I mean ICANN policy, including security and stability. That means we may find someone who's always working on policy in staff, with the gNSO for example, and also we have to take someone from security, as you said.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, how about Mikey? He's a great speaker, he's a graduate of the [Bishop? 10:00]...

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Fantastic, yes, you are right.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Are you thinking Julie Hammer and Mikey O'Connor?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I think so. This issue is very important, I think. We have to make the policy as friendly for the ALS representatives as possible.

HEIDI ULLRICH: What about Avri?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, she's fantastic also.

HEIDI ULLRICH: She knows both actually. She knows At-Large as well as gNSO.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, and in this case she'll perhaps be better than Mikey, but I love Mikey. He's a very good speaker and a very good educator. Okay, so we can put here Avri and Julie, and we may add someone, perhaps Mikey.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'll leave that there now. I'm seeing in that chat that there are maybe other topics. Moving onto the third topic, policy development process. I thought of Olivier or Alan, and from staff... Is it only At-Large policy or did you want also someone who can talk about the gNSO policy, etc?

---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, the gNSO policy is an issue... [overtalking 11:32] Go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Maybe Olivier, or Olivier and Alan?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Olivier and Alan. Nobody from staff?

HEIDI ULLRICH: We can bring Marika in?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Marika, yes, very good. It is about process, Heidi, so we need someone from the staff.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Sandra, you're saying, "For PDP I propose Mikey or Thomas." Why don't we just bring them all in? Is this okay, Sandra?

SANDRA HOFERICHTER: [inaudible 12:33]. I think it's always good to [unclear] any effort [unclear].

HEIDI ULLRICH: If that's okay with you, Tijani and everyone...

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:            Could you please repeat?

HEIDI ULLRICH:                Sandra said that she thinks we could maybe put a pool in here and people can either just select if they're available or they can do it. Maybe today we could just get those that we would suggest.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:            That's right, that's absolutely right.

HEIDI ULLRICH:                For Item #3, is everyone okay with policy development process: Olivier, Mikey O'Connor, Alan and Marika, and [Thomas? 13:30]?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:            Okay. I think that Alan will be very good for Rules of Procedure, #4.

HEIDI ULLRICH:                I think he's the only person.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:            Alan plus Alan. [laughs]



---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Cheryl might be good too if you want to bring in someone else. I think Cheryl could do... Do you want to add Cheryl as well, Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, you can add her, but I think Alan knows more than everyone. There is another thing – this module is shorter than the others. It's only to explain the Rules of Procedure, but policy, including security and stability, I think we will do a lot of sessions within us to cover this issue. Why? For the Rules of Procedure we may only have one.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Let's see who's available.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: You can put Cheryl also and after that we'll see.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Item #5, IPv4, IPv6, I have Leo... If someone from staff... I've blanked out on his surname...? Leo Vegoda, yes. Thank you Carlos. He's a fantastic speaker. He's worked with IANA for years. He's actually given webinars on IPv4 and transitioning over to IPv6, and it was one of the most populated briefing sessions we've had, so he's excellent. I'd definitely suggest him. I don't know anybody from the community who could speak on that.

---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, you're right. We may add at the end for example someone from AFRINIC, but we have to check with their availability. Now we have one from staff, which is confirmed, and perhaps one from AFRINIC.

HEIDI ULLRICH: No one's confirmed yet, but these are suggestions. Then, #6, acronyms. I don't know what you mean by this.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I will tell you. Acronyms will not be a webinar, it will be through OLP. Acronyms – people need to know what the meaning is of each acronym, so they have to go to the list. The list is on the OLP, and I also asked Chris Gift, and the other one working on the OLP, for a dedicated version for us. They haven't responded yet but we'll speak about that later.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Just to let everyone know, it's not called the OLP anymore, it's called ICANN Learn. Tijani, I'm going to make a note that we follow up with Chris and Jeffrey on that. Finally on communication, what I thought you mean by this, I thought of maybe Duncan Burns or Jim Trengrove. They're both excellent to speak on what ICANN is doing for communications.

Then from the community, Tijani and Dev, just because they're Chairs. Tijani, you're the Chair of this group and Dev is the Chair of the Outreach Group.

---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Heidi, I'd like to remind everyone why the communication is here. It's because some members of this Working Group said that some ALS members don't know how to handle the most simple thing to work in ICANN. They don't know how to edit the Wiki page, how to use anything, so they asked for this module. This is a module for which I'll need more specialized persons in the tools of communications, and the tools of work.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Can I suggest Nathalie, part of our staff? She's excellent on the AC rooms. She knows Adigo, she knows Lucid... Do you think it should be more staff, would that be of use? Other staff could help as well, and Dev of course. Perfect, okay.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, Dev and Nathalie. Very good.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Unfortunately I need to go. Thank you very much. I have another commitment. Silvia's now going to take over from this and I'll try to catch up afterwards.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you Heidi. Fatima please?

---

FATIMA CAMBRONERO: Thank you Tijani. Just a reminder – with Dev we’ve created a [chromium helper? 19:06], that I posted in the Adobe. Maybe this [helper?] could be useful for the phone number...

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, thank you very much. I do appreciate it, but I don’t have the link. Did you put it on the chat? Oh, I see it. Thank you. Okay. Now, we’ve spoken about the trainers and now we’ll go to the tools, what kind of tool we’ll use. We spoke about the webinars, there are four webinars. Shall we use other tools? I believe that yes, we have to use other tools. Oksana please go ahead.

OKSANA PRYKHODKO: Thank you Tijani. I would like to return to a previous issue and ask to add Wolfgang to #1, the future of Internet governance. Sorry for my late contribution.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No problem. Now we are constituting the pool. We’ll ask those people if they’re available, etcetera. Thank you Oksana. Going to #3.b, tools to be used. I do think that since we now have the 101 available, and have people who are working on this platform, I asked Chris Gift and Jeffrey by email, who are working on the platform, to prepare a customized version for us.

Unfortunately I didn’t receive any reply from them. I sent the email yesterday and I didn’t receive the reply today, so I can’t confirm if it’ll be done or not. I’m sure it will be done because before Buenos Aires, Chris

---

and Jeffrey both confirmed that they'd be happy to do that. They haven't replied yet but perhaps they will do tomorrow. I'll let you know about their response.

Why do we have to use the 101, ICANN Learn? Because there is everything inside it and if you have a chance to go there you'll see that any information you need you'll find it there. But the problem is that [inaudible 22:26]. It's only information on the shelf. It's not a course, there's not a method to teach people – it's only giving information.

We need that information. I asked Jeffrey to put only information that we need for our specific Capacity Building Program in a version that will be dedicated to us and that will be open to all our community, all of our ALS representatives, etcetera. Is there any reaction to this initiative? No comment? Okay, so with the webinars we'll also use ICANN Learn. This is the second point.

The third point I want to address is for the webinars. As you know we're all over the world and time is very diversified. We can decide on a webinar at ten o'clock, for example, and it would be midnight in one region and perhaps three o'clock in another region and midday in another region.

This is a real problem that we have to address, and perhaps we have to think about a duplicated webinar so that every region will be covered – every ALS representative will have a chance to attend one of the two replicated sessions. What do you think about this? Yes, go ahead Oksana.

---

OKSANA PRYKHODKO: Just yesterday, during the EURALO teleconference call, we discussed the project of Internet governance for Russian-speaking [auditors? 24:57]. Maybe this practice could be replicated for other language speaking communities, because for example acronyms or communication tools – it would be very useful to discuss these in native languages.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: You are right, but this will need all the acronyms to be translated, all the explanations to be...

OKSANA PRYKHODKO: No, only one webinar for a separate linguistic community, for all topics.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, I understand, but if we were to do that for several languages we'll need more webinars, more sessions, won't we?

OKSANA PRYKHODKO: No, only one for all topics.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: For all topics?

OKSANA PRYKHODKO: Just to summarize all topics, for example in the Russian language.

---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

At the end? Okay. I understand. This is a good proposal. I'll ask the other members for their opinions. I think it's a good initiative for us. We have to decide which languages we'll do that for – the six languages of the UN or for other languages too. This is the question. I open the floor for discussion.

Do you agree on a session to summarize all the main points of each session, but in a specific language? Would we have six sessions dealing with the same thing, which is a summary of the main issues discussed? Do we agree on that? I don't see any reaction so I assume that you agree. Oksana, we'll try to find the logistics to do that.

Something that we need is an effort of summarizing at first, and then finding the right person to do that for each language. Coming back to the time shift, is it a good proposal to have two duplicated sessions, perhaps 12 hours apart? What do you think, Carlos? I don't see any reaction, any hands. I assume that you agree on that.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Tijani? Just to say that I agree. Just as a thought, the ICANN policy webinar is two sessions to cater for the different regions. You should try to do the Capacity Building so that it has to have two sessions, to allow for all the persons from all the different regions to be able to engage.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Exactly, that's the point. Thank you Dev and thank you all. If there is no other reaction, any other opinion, we'll go to Item #4 of the Agenda, which is implementation. Now we've more or less defined the topics,

---

the trainers, the tools to be used, and how we'll manage that with the time shift, we now have to know when we have to start. What's the best time to start?

For me, we don't have to start very early but we can't start at the last minute. Assuming that you will have the same session twice, and for some topics have several sessions, this has to be done not before Singapore but not too close to London. I think that by Singapore we'll have a meeting in Singapore and by Singapore we'll have everything prepared – the topics, the trainers, the tools, the times for each session, how many sessions per topic, etcetera.

This will be done in cooperation with the trainers, because they know what's necessary for each specific topic. I think that perhaps we need to start mid-April, and in this case I think we have time to finish the Program before London. Dev, what do you think?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I think mid-April is a good time to start it, yes.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, thank you. So this is one point. Now, if we have the starting...  
Okay, Fatima?

FATIMA CAMBRONERO: Sorry Tijani. For me I think we should start before the Singapore meeting. I posted in the Adobe that I prefer one webinar in March, two in April and two in May. I'm not sure if communications is one topic or if



---

there's something similar to the [inaudible 32:22], or something like that. But I think the participants need time to learn the topics that we're teaching in the webinars. In my opinion it's better to start before the Singapore meeting.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: You think that we need to start before Singapore?

FATIMA CAMBRONERO: Yes.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: But, Fatima, don't you think it will be too early and perhaps people will forget about it?

FATIMA CAMBRONERO: No, I don't think so. Maybe you could start with an easy topic and then with a more difficult topic.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: My assumption is that we can have two webinars a week, and if we do that I think we'll have plenty of time for the whole Capacity Building Program if we start in mid-April. If you think that we have to start now, that means that you propose more webinars, don't you?

---

FATIMA CAMBRONERO: No, not necessarily. You can use the topics that you've established in the group. You don't necessarily need more topics.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No, I'm not speaking about topics, I'm speaking about sessions. Do you think that, for example, for policy, including security and stability, instead of three sessions you'd propose five or six?

FATIMA CAMBRONERO: I understand – more sessions per topic?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: For one topic, yes.

FATIMA CAMBRONERO: Yes, maybe. Dev?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: You don't want to make it too many sessions though. To have persons come on to be able to follow one session from the next... When I see here "five sessions" remember that then has to be repeated for two different time zones... Well, that's a lot of sessions. [laughs] I fully understand that we can't do it in one, but at the same time you don't want to make it four, five or six. I'd be worried about that.

---

I'm thinking maybe two, or three at the most. When I think four or five I'm thinking, "Who's going to be able to follow each of those meetings?" That's my concern.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you Dev, I understand. Fatima, do you imagine that we can do perhaps a session on the 15<sup>th</sup> of March and another on 15<sup>th</sup> of April and another on 1<sup>st</sup> of May and the last one on the 15<sup>th</sup> of May, for example? Is this what you are thinking about, or do you think that we need more sessions?

You asked to start earlier and that means one of two things – either you want to have more sessions and that's why we need to start earlier, or you want to have the sessions spread out more, far from each other.

FATIMA CAMBRONERO:

Yes, the sessions more spread out, starting before the Singapore meeting and having two in April and two in May, for example. We don't forget that people have the meetings of their Working Groups, of the ALAC, of their RALO, and it's complicated to attend a lot of sessions.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

I understand. Dev?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

The problem is the timing Fatima. It's the 26<sup>th</sup> of February now, so realistically that means that we have to try and do one of these sessions

---

next week or between the week of the 10<sup>th</sup> and the 15<sup>th</sup>. From the 17<sup>th</sup> onwards it's going to be way too hard to do anything because staff will be traveling, and of course all the particular persons who could do these sessions will also be traveling and getting ready for Singapore.

I'm a little bit worried about the timing of this, being so close to Singapore. It's going to be three weeks until Singapore starts. I'm a little bit worried about trying to start one before the Singapore meeting.

FATIMA CAMBRONERO: Sorry for the interruption but you're right. A session before the Singapore meeting would be complicated, and another [inaudible 38:32] three sessions in April and two or three in May. What do you think?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Three sessions in April and two in May sounds more achievable, yes. Also, I think if you were to start one before and then we have to do a second follow-up session after Singapore in mid-April, I think that would be... People will have forgotten. I'm not being facetious, but you want to bunch these sessions close together. I think Fatima's suggestion of three in April... Either way it could work.

There could be two in April, three in May... That could also work, because the first session we'll be experimenting and learning in and we may make mistakes. Then we could correct and so forth. Fatima, my suggestion may be two in April, because remember, people will be exhausted after the Singapore meeting. You can't really do anything in

---

the first week of April, because everybody will be exhausted from the Singapore meeting. Maybe two in April and then three in May.

FATIMA CAMBRONERO: Yes, I have no problem with that.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, thank you Dev and Fatima. I have a concern about what you've said, because here we have seven topics, minus one, which is acronyms. There will not be a webinar about acronyms, so we'll have six topics. If we only do one webinar for each topic we'll have six webinars. I do think that, for example the policy, including security and stability, we need more than one and more than two sessions. This is the main thing.

This is what we have to make clearer to our ALS representatives, and if they understand that they will be participating efficiently and effectively in the Summit. Also, the PDP is one session, it's a process, no problem. But understand there are a lot of facets of policy, and we need to make them friendly with all those policies, and also we'll speak about security and stability.

I'm sure we'll need more than two webinars for this particular topic. I don't want to give figure, but I'd prefer that the trainers, those who will do those sessions, will give their opinion. Together with them we'll

---

define the number of sessions for each topic. If we admit this it means that we'll need not six sessions, but more.

That's why I think that we will have more than three per month for example, or something like this. The reason I proposed the 15<sup>th</sup> of April is because we'll have finished the Singapore meeting – at the end of March – and we all know that staff take at least one week's rest after the ICANN meetings. They will not start before the 7<sup>th</sup> of April, and time to take the job, etcetera.

So I think that perhaps the 10<sup>th</sup> or 15<sup>th</sup> of April would be good to start. But this is my opinion. We are discussing this here and I want to hear from the others, from everyone.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I suppose also we could have some sessions in the first or second week of June. Remember, ICANN's 50<sup>th</sup> meeting is the 22<sup>nd</sup>, I believe, of June, so we can do something in the first or second week of June. We have that also available.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Dev, I didn't exclude June, it was included in my mind also. I want to say specifically the time, because as I said, we have to discuss with the trainers so as to define the number of sessions by topic, so that we can plan according to the total number of sessions that we need. What I wanted to initiate here is the starting point, because as I said, before Singapore it's difficult and after Singapore, in the first week, it's impossible.

---

In the second week they'll be preparing themselves and entering into the work, and we can start by the 10<sup>th</sup> of April, for example. That would be good, I think. Then, according to the number of sessions, we'll have call after that... Or perhaps we could do it in Singapore, since we will already have the approval of the trainers. We could discuss it with them before our Singapore meeting. We can do that in Singapore and decide on the precise schedule for the Capacity Building Program.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: What do you think?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I think that's a good idea. I'm just trying to figure out the number of sessions needed per topic, and also given that if you want to... I'm now thinking of this idea of having two sessions on the same day, per topic. That's literally 15 sessions, minimal. I'm wondering whether we need to repeat it and have two sessions?

Do you think we could possibly have one session in the middle of the day or early in the night for most people, and have it recorded so it can be played back for everybody else?

---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, but we can do something for that, Dev. We can make a Doodle, asking people to tell us what is the best hour of the day for them to do this Capacity Building Program. According to the Doodle we'll see what the time is where we'd have the maximum participation. We'll also try to perhaps find a second time, if we cannot sit everyone in the same time.

In that case we'd try and find another time so across the two times we'd have everyone attending the webinar. The second webinar... Two webinars a day doesn't frighten me, because it's the same one and it's the same day. I don't have a problem with dates, because now our concern is the schedule. It's a problem of [loads? 46:52] and it may be a concern for the trainers, and for staff, but not for the schedule. Do you understand? Any other feedback on that? Olivier? Welcome.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Tijani. I've been listening, whilst doing other things at the same time. I've lost track of why there's 15 sessions. Dev mentioned 15 sessions in total. If you have two sessions and there's five topics then it's ten sessions.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Apparently...

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: There's six topics, and some of them may be more than one session – possibly two, possibly three to cover one topic.



OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Then I guess we don't have a choice, do we? The problem though is that it's going to be an enormous amount of work for those people that are going to do the training, and I certainly support having two sessions at different times, simply because we're dealing here with a worldwide, global audience, and I just can't see an ALS representative following a Capacity Building session at 2:00 or 4:00 in the morning. That's pretty hard.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, Olivier. Perhaps you missed the beginning. We said we now have six topics on which we'll do webinars. For some topics, especially policy, including security and stability, we'll need more than one session. That's why we said we'll not speak about the number of sessions now. We'll have to discuss that with the trainers – we've already defined a pool of trainers for each topic, and we'll check their availability.

Once they're confirmed we'll sit with them and try to see how many sessions they'll need. As I said before, policy is something that's very important for the ALSes. We need them to be friendly with the policy. We don't need someone who will give them the deepest details of everything. We need someone who will explain it to them and make the policy very easy to understand by the ALS representatives, so that they'll be interested and contribute in the Summit.

That's why I believe we'll need more than one session for this topic, and I am sure more than two also. The total number of sessions will be defined with the trainers, and once we have the number of sessions,

---

knowing that we'll start around April 10<sup>th</sup>, we'll try to find the right schedule. Perhaps we'll do that in Singapore together; the [tentative? 50:17] schedule of the Capacity Building Program. Yes, Fatima?

FATIMA CAMBRONERO: I put it in the chat, that I think we cannot create [inaudible 50:39] with these webinars. We have to explain each topic, then the people have to read it in their homes, and then [all the work? 50:01]. I think one session per topic is more user-friendly for the people. Then we have, at the same time, the teleconferences of each RALO, the ALAC teleconference, the Working Groups teleconferences. There are a lot of sessions and each week it's more complicated.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I do understand, Fatima, you're right. We had the chance between starting very early – and in this case we can cover everything and give time to the other work of each constituency. This is the first one. The second choice is to start later, as we're doing now. If we started one month ago for example, I don't think that what people learn in February will be present in their minds in June. This is the problem.

That's why we perhaps shouldn't do the training very early, and in this case we should organize ourselves so we can give all the information needed at a comfortable time to the ALS representatives, and at a closer time to the Summit. Not very close, not two days before or one week before, but closer to the Summit. Oksana?

---

OKSANA PRYKHODKO: Thank you Tijani. Do you have any tools to evaluate how people understand the topic? The one issue of what a trainer would like to explain, and another one, what the listeners can understand. Maybe you have to reserve some time to explain the more difficult issues from the listeners' point of view, but not from the trainers' point of view.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: You are right. You introduced an important point, which is the evaluation – how to evaluate if the trainees understood what was given by the trainer. This is your issue, and I understand, I thank you for this. Yes, we will make use of the knowledge of Carlos, because he's working on that also. He's working in education and he has experience in evaluation and how we have to do that.

Carlos, can you give us your point of view? Are you still with us, Carlos? Perhaps he's not with us. Okay. Yes, you're right Oksana. I open the floor for comments about evaluation.

CARLOS DIONISIO AGUIRRE: Thank you Tijani. I am here. My impression here is we have many speakers for webinars, but sometimes these speakers are experts in those issues, but in many times also are not very good teachers. They can't reach the alumni. That's my impression with this issue. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you Carlos, I do understand and this is a real issue. The problem is that we cannot bring professional teachers in because we have to pay them. We're trying to find out, in the community and in the staff, who

---

are the best are in teaching subjects that they know very well. This was the effort we did at the beginning with Heidi, and we are continuing to do that until we find the final list of trainers for each topic. What do you propose, Carlos?

CARLOS DIONISIO AGUIRRE: My proposal is explore other speakers. Maybe try it with other people who can explain better, to alumni, the issues. No more than that. We need to get the better speakers, and not always have the same people giving classes. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you Carlos. That's exactly what we try to do, and the help of everyone is welcome. About the evaluation, there is a lot of methods of evaluation. We can already implement the principle of evaluation sheet for each session. It will not be a physical sheet, it will be an electric sheet. People who are familiar with education know what the evaluation sheet is.

If you have other ideas about the evaluation please tell us. Okay, I don't see any hands. I put on my notes, "Evaluation." We have to think about it. Perhaps we will have another call before Singapore, to fix all those points. Okay? Now, if you don't have any other comments about what we've said, I think that we've spoken about everything about the Program.

If you don't have any other business for this call, then I'll close this call. Are there any other comments, final comments or remarks? Okay.

---

Thank you very much for coming to this call. We've done a good job. I think we advanced our work, and perhaps we'll need another call before Singapore. Thank you very much. Have a good night or a good day.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPT]**