

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Gisella. Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening everyone. This is the ALAC monthly conference call on Tuesday, the 2nd of July, 2013. The time is 14:06 UTC. And immediately we'll start with the adoption of the agenda, which you have access to.

Does anyone wish to add anything to this agenda? I don't see anyone putting their hand up, so let's go then. No, let's get going and let's move on directly to the roll call please Gisella.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you Olivier. Gisella here. On today's call we have Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Yaovi Atohoun, Holly Raiche, Eduardo Diaz, Evan Leibovitch, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Carlton Samuels, Sandra Hoferichter, Natalia Encisco, Rinalia Abdul Rahim will be joining us a little later.

We also have Cheryl Langdon-Orr and Alan Greenberg, Ron Sherwood, Wolf Ludwig, Sébastien Bachollet. On the Spanish channel we have Fatima Cambronero and Natalia Enciso is following by Adobe connect. We do not have anyone on the French channel.

Apologies noted from Julie Hammer, Ali AlMeshal, Sala Tamanikaiwaimaro, and Siranush Vardanyan. From staff we have Matt Ashtiani, Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco and myself Gisella Gruber. Our interpreters today on the Spanish channel are Veronica and Sabrina; and on the French channel, we have Claire and Camila.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

We'll also please remind everyone to state their names when speaking not only for transcript purposes, but to allow the interpreters to identify you on the other language channels. And also speak at a reasonable pace to allow for accurate interpretation. Thank you. Over to you Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Gisella for this expert start. And do we have any additional people that have arrived since, whose name we haven't mentioned?

GISELLA GRUBER: Olivier, if I may? We have Kerry Brown who just joined us as well on the Adobe Connect.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Fantastic. Thanks Gisella. Well, let's move on to the third item on the agenda, which is the review of the action items from the 20th of May meeting but also from the Beijing meeting. We found that the set of action items that had been somehow put to the side. So let's start on the 28th of May, and looking at the sheet, the Wiki that you can all look at, we'll just check the open action items, and the newly assigned action items.

The first open action item is the, for myself to draft a statement of my experiences at WCIT, that's still pending. The second one is for Evan, Evan Leibovitch and Jean-Jacques [? 0:03:20] to read the future

challenges working group, or follow up regarding the WCIT, that's also pending.

That's obviously relating to my action item as well. And thirdly, the revised ALAC rules of procedures are to be translated into the five UN languages and Portuguese. So the first two are in progress. Could I have an update from staff with regards to the third one please?

MATT ASHTIANI: Hi. This is Matt for the record. In regards to the translation of the policies, sorry go ahead Heidi.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Matt...

HEIDI ULLRICH: They're in progress.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Could I have either one of you speak please because at the moment... It's Olivier here. I'm afraid I haven't heard either.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry. This is Heidi. They're in progress.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: In progress. Okay. Thank you. Okay. So then the newly assigned action item is for Olivier to work with staff on a decertification vote wording process and implementation. That's actually done, we're going to touch on this later on in this call.

Let's look at the Beijing, and ALAC, and At-Large action items. And there, you'll see a whole list of them with some that have been completed, and some that are still in progress. We will only look at the ALAC related ones, and I hope that all of the working groups and their follow up meetings are looking at their own part of the action items.

So first the ALAC and regional leadership meeting. And on this, Heidi Ullrich is to share the videos and [? 0:05:14] of the At-Large community with Jim [? 0:05:16], senior director of communications. I understand that has been done Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct. That's been done.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Excellent. Has there been any feedback on this yet? Are we awaiting feedback? Should we ask?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. This is Heidi. We're awaiting feedback.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Next, Maggie [Sur-rad 0:05:37] is to look into the issue of the pick – of the public interest commitments and enforcement. Have we heard from Maggie on this?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. We have not. We can follow-up with her on that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes please. Yes that would be good. It's Olivier here. And next, the – Gisella [CROSSTALK 0:05:58]... is to organize... Yes, Alan, please go ahead. Oh yes, your hand has just gone up. Go ahead Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: The issue on pick enforcement has become exceedingly higher in priority, given that the Board's recent action to have mandatory picks to address some of the GAC's safeguards. That's not passed yet, but they essentially put it out for community comment, or something like that.

And to the extent that they will end up using is highly likely at this point, mandatory picks for everybody to address some of the safeguards, how is it that they intend to enforce those has just risen, if not by an order of Maggie's using by a lot. So we really need to get an answer on that. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you very much Alan. So...

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: This is Evan. I can't get into Adobe Connect.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, go ahead Evan.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I suggest then, whether or not this is something that's followed up, if this becomes the top of the list of our conversation with the compliance staff in Durban.

ALAN GREENBERG: If I may, it's not only the compliance staff, it's also the Board. It's not even clear at this point to what extent compliance has responsibility, that may be the problem. But it's not something they can fix unilaterally.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Then why is Maggie being given the question?

ALAN GREENBERG: I don't know. But she's one of the actors, she may not be the only actor.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Gentlemen, it's Olivier here, if you could say your name before you speak, that would be really helpful for those people listening to you in

Spanish, or listening to you in French. That was a discussion between Alan and Evan.

And I think that the follow-up really is that was an action item from our meeting with Maggie [Sur-ad 0:07:57] in Beijing. So I certainly think maybe a follow-up on this during our meeting with compliance, and we'll have to, of course, be engaged with any public comment process that comes from the Board, or from the ICANN volunteer side.

Let's move on, and let's go on with the next one which is for Gisella to organize monthly outreach subcommittee meetings that rotates to allow for more global participation. A Doodle is to be sent to establish the dates and times. Gisella?

GISELLA GRUBER:

Gisella here Olivier. This is in progress but hasn't been completed yet.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Okay. Thank you. Next, the ALAC is to look into the possibility to form a joint working group to look at deep pack inspection. Julie Hammer is currently working on this action item, in fact she has been in touch with me.

And because we've had so much to do before Durban, it was suggested that this specific matter would be picked up after Durban and between Durban and Buenos Aires. I don't see Julie on the call at the moment, so I was going to ask for a couple of more words on this, but it doesn't matter.

It's basically ongoing, and we'll have some proposals by Durban. Okay. Further down, ALAC policy discussion part two, Gisella is to update the main At-Large working groups workspace and its draft pages. She is also to prepare a list of the current members on each At-Large mailing list, and to send a weekly email to ALAC announce noting upcoming At-Large and GNSO working group meetings.

Any update on this Gisella?

GISELLA GRUBER:

Yes Olivier. Gisella here. With regards to the weekly meeting center for the GNSO and the ALAC, it hasn't been done over the last couple of weeks. And with regards to updating the working group pages, we've got a call scheduled to go over the action items because I'm not quite sure what's required.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Okay. Excellent. We'll work on that. I saw Yaovi having put his hand up, was that to ask a question or... No please, no as in yes? I mean, as you wish to ask a question or... Okay. I don't see an answer at the moment. Right. Let's move on.

So the next, Dev Anand Teelucksingh is to send a reminder to the mailing lists on how to subscribe to calendar. Dev, you are on the call. Can we have an update to this please?

DEV ANAND TELLUCKSINGH: Hi this is Dev Anand Tellucksingh speaking. I have put some information regarding this on the Wiki page. I'll post a link to this. I have not released this to the wider At-Large community though.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you very much Dev. Is there any reason why you haven't circulated to the wider At-Large community?

DEV ANAND TELLUCKSINGH: This is Dev again. Well, I was thinking that if we're doing a quick [circle 0:11:40] screen card or a video, to show it more visually. So I mean, right now it's just more text how to do it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That would be good. That would be great. Okay. Excellent. Let's mark this as... Well, let's keep this as ongoing until you send it over to the mailing list and we'll discuss this item in Durban to make sure everyone knows how to use the calendars.

The next, Matt is to work with the community members drafting an ALAC statement and prepare paragraphs on how the policy issue might impact internet end users. And you would have noticed that most, if not all of our, recent statements have now included a quick summary on the front page of this.

And also, he's also prepared a few paragraphs on some of the policy issues that we've worked on. Do you want to say a couple of words Matt, and then we'll move on?

MATT ASHTIANI: Hi. This is Matt. No, I think you covered it Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks. So next, we're looking further down, we have the different working groups, and we'll pass over these. I invite all of you who are chairing working groups to make sure you are aware of your action items here.

And then we'll go into the ALAC and regional leadership wrap up. And there are three action items on the wrap up. There is first a condensed version of the trademark clearing house and IDN variance statements is to be prepared for the public forum. That was done.

And then Olivier is to convey a message to Robin Gross, chair of the NSG that the ALAC will not issue a joint statement, but would like to continue to collaborate. That was a joint statement on policy versus implementation, and trademark clearing house plus 50, TMCH plus 50 as they called it.

But we are collaborating, and there is ongoing work on this. And then the ALAC is to monitor ICANN compliance through the end of year, and assess any challenges in terms of WHOIS and compliance. And of course, that is something that we have continued doing, and we'll have a meeting with compliance in Durban.

Any comments about these? Alan Greenberg.

ALAN GREENBERG: Just wanted to express some concern that we never heard about the tool that the ICANN was working on to verify WHOIS as an automatic way, and to check accuracy, and a whole bunch of other things. That was mentioned in sort of an off-hand way in – I don't even remember where in a Board report, or a something, briefing document – in a briefing document [CROSSTALK 0:14:42]...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. It was in a seminar. It's Olivier here. I believe it was in a seminar. Carlton, you have...

CARLTON SAMUELS: Yes it was a seminar.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Perhaps this is something we need to address when we next speak with compliance I guess. [CROSSTALK 0:14:59]...

ALAN GREENBERG: It's not 100% clear it's compliance, but it might well be.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Well, who else do you suggest asking Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: We can't ask everybody. I'm not even... I'm not... I'm just expressing a concern that things are going on, about – in the rough area of things we were talking about, and yet these surprises come up.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay...

ALAN GREENBERG: ...transparency.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Alan.

CARLTON SAMUELS: That's a good point to make.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: And thank you Carlton. So let's put this on the agenda for the ALAC meeting with compliance, and if we're told, "That's none of my work," at the point we will ask, "Well, whose work is it?" And hope we get a transparent answer. Evan Leibovitch, go ahead.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Thanks Olivier. This is Evan for the record. Perhaps this is an opportune time for us perhaps to go offline, put our heads together and determine out of all the various people and groups that we are meeting with

during Durban week, we should try and figure out who of them may have a part of the whole piece of this.

So as you said, very accurately, compliance has a piece of it, but not the whole piece. I think it's even reasonable to ask during our meeting with the Board, and during our meeting with senior ICANN staff, because it hasn't been carefully delineated, maybe this is just something that becomes a question that we ask to multiple people we're dealing with.

So just the thought that maybe a couple of us can go off line either in a Skype chat or something like that, and try and figure out how many different agendas this issue has to be on. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much Evan. There is a suggestion online that maybe we can ask [? 0:16:57], who is now the president of the new gTLD division. It's Sébastien who has suggested this. I can go along with your suggestion Evan. Only it sounds that you're really trying to deal with nuclear physics here, the complexity of the task is going to be quite a challenge.

So [laughs] I'm not quite sure...

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

I almost fear that's by design, and that's something we, I guess, as At-Large have some kind of a responsibility to try and sift through. Thanks.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay Evan, thank you. Then perhaps could I ask you if you wish to lead that task to try and make sense of who does what? Is this a reasonable expectation?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: This is Evan. I have no problem doing it. It almost sounds like a TV drama, where you go out and you're interviewing everyone trying to piece together the scene of the crime. Thanks. I have no problem doing it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Evan. And I would encourage any At-Large member who are very good [Clue-do 0:18:02] to find out... [Clue-do] is a game, a board game, which you can do a search on Wiki if you want, to find out the actual who does what in ICANN.

Anyway, let's move on from this and go over to the next part of our agenda. The executive committee will review its own ExCom action items on the call tomorrow. So that pretty much closes our action items at the moment. Are there any thoughts or questions about this?

I don't see anyone putting their hand up. So let's go to the next part of our call, and that's going to be the review of the current At-Large structure applications. Could I ask Matt Ashtiani please to explain to us please?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Olivier, is Natalie on the call? This is Heidi.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Sorry, who on the call?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Natalie. Just so everyone knows, Natalie [? 0:19:07] is the one who is handling the ALSs.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Ah, perfect. Okay. I was not aware so...

HEIDI ULLRICH: I don't believe she is on the call.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: If she's not on the call, then that resorts back to Matt.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. If Matt is aware, otherwise I'll handle them. Because Matt is not really involved anymore in this.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Someone handle them or I'll get Evan to try and find out who handles what. [Laughter]

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. This is Heidi. So the recently certified ALSs we have [? Head-ick 0:19:37] that's been certified. And recently we've received two applications, one is for the Euro Individuals Association, and that's undergoing due diligence. Natalie will be speaking with Wolf Ludwig – no, sorry. With Roberto [? 0:19:55] in Durban just on some issues on that, but it is going, diligence is continuing.

And the second new application is the Australian Communications Consumer Action Network, ACCAN, that is undergoing due diligence and I think that's coming along very quickly. We've already heard back from the regional vice-president for that region. So that one is coming along quickly.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you very much Heidi. If I could call on Wolf Ludwig to say a couple of words on the Euro Individual Association, because the name as such, it looks a little bit cryptic. But what is actual is this, Euro Individual Association, Wolf?

WOLF LUDWIG: Thanks Olivier. This is Wolf Ludwig for the transcript. Well, this is the outcome actually a very long process. When EURALO started to amend its bylaws two years ago, in 2011, to enable and to encourage better participation of people, individuals, who are not part of regular EURALO, ALS structures, etcetera.

But who are very active and engaged participants of the EURALO community. And they were always complaining before, "Well we can

participate, we can even become Board members, etcetera, at EURALO. But when it comes to the General Assembly, we do not have any voting rights.”

And then we tried to, according to the discussions we had before with NAROLO, who offered similar opportunities for individual participation, we said, “Okay. Let’s go on guys, get your own ALS for individuals all over Europe, create it, and start it, so you can have a first and second contact point. Then you can choose one of you, once you are certified who can participate in the General Assembly, even including a voting right.”

This was the background and after two years, surprising, it finally happened. And a week ago I think, [? 22:28] who is first contact, the secondary contact is [? 0:22:32], they submitted the application form to At-Large that is now undergoing due diligence and I’m looking forward to welcome them soon as a new At-Large structure. That’s it. Thanks Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Wolf Ludwig. And I see there is a question from Yaovi Atohoun. Yaovi, you have the floor.

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Yaovi speaking. Can you hear me please?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes we can. Please go ahead.

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Thank you. Since you are work for the mission and very good to know about this association. Just an additional question, I would like to know that this structure, how is this association created? Just for information. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Yaovi. Wolf, you have an answer?

WOLF LUDWIG: Yes. Well, not to waste too much time with sophisticated procedural issues, we have some different models in Europe. The easiest way to get an organization started is with association law, because it needs minimal, minimal, minimal requirements of bylaws comprising two or three pages maximum.

And if one member of this association will be based or it [? 0:24:01] in Switzerland, not even the contact point itself, it's okay. So it's very simple to make it happen according to association laws.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Wolf. Next is Tijani Ben Jemaa.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you Olivier. Tijani speaking. Wolf, Yaovi asked the first question that I wanted to ask, but there is another one. How many, and give what you have now in this association. Since you know them, they were

involved in your work, but they weren't regular member, now they are in this association.

So you may know how many people you have in this association.

WOLF LUDWIG:

Well, Wolf Ludwig again for the transcript. At the moment, we have eight individuals listed for this start up. People we all know who have been, in one way or the other, involved in EURALO over the last couple of years.

The idea now is in Durban, we can approach any new fellow from Europe, and invite them if they are interested to follow up after the fellowship in Durban and the meeting itself, to get more involved in – on the regional level. They can join the ALS for individuals.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Anyway, Wolf, I want to congratulate you because it was a problem to have individuals, since they are not ALSs, now you've found the solution, and I find it the best solution. Thank you very much.

WOLF LUDWIG:

Thanks for the compliment Tijani.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much Tijani, and thank you Wolf for this extensive explanation. And I note also that Yaovi is applauding your work, so well

done. We're not going to move in the other part of ALS certification and decertification, and that's the ALS decertification.

And that's something which has not been done effectively, and the work to decertify ALSs is actually well listed on our Wiki, and is alluded to in our bylaws, etcetera. So doing some work on this, I invite you all to look at the former At-Large structures workspaces.

The history goes that we receive a request from [? 0:26:58] to decertify the Internet Users Network in Tokyo. And we also received an email from the Internet Society to decertify the Internet Society Pakistan chapter. Now, work was done by a number of people, including At-Large members, and you would have noticed that there was some discussion that took place on the mailing lists.

And the result that came out of this is basically that there is a section seven of the certification process for At-Large structures saying exactly what needs to happen. Decisions to decertify an ALS shall require a two third majority of the members, following a certain number of articles and rolls and procedure of ICANN bylaws.

Reasons for the ALAC to pursue decertification action and to decertify an ALS may include, persistent non-compliance with significant ALS requirements. And so the ALAC will provide vast notice to the ALS in question, and that's been done in both cases. And the ALS will have an opportunity to be heard and respond to the ALAC, prior to a decision on decertification.

So certainly on the part of the Internet Users Network Tokyo, there is a request from the ALS itself to be decertified, so that's done as well. On

the part of ISOC Pakistan, the organization does not exist anymore and there was a number of people who were involved with the organization replied and said they were okay with the decertification.

So there was an also an attempt to notify the ALS of decertification, and of course the ISOC Pakistan address does not work, so there was a bounce. All of this is found in the Wiki space. The former At-Large structure Wiki space, it's Wiki space. And you'll see links at the bottom. There is one for... A couple of others that we managed to find looking quite carefully at all of our past, there is an organization called Alpha Ready, there is a National Consumer's League, there is the Internet Users Network, and there is the Internet Society Pakistan.

At the moment, our two pioneers for decertification are the Internet Users Network, Internet Society Pakistan. If you click on the link, if you are logged in, because you do have to be logged into the conference, then you will be able to see the details and all of the supporting documentation to decertify those ALSs.

The reason for the login, is because some of that information might be sensitive or might involve things that people don't wish to share. Some ALSs, when they want to be decertified, may not wish to provide a proper reason or whatever, for whatever reason keep it more quiet. And so although it's transparent that we allow everyone who has a login to be able to go and find out why it was decertified, it's not – it cannot be picked by Google.

So when you do a search on that organization, or a search on any of the discussions around that, they will not show up on Google. That's the

only reason. And now I open the floor for questions. I see that Alan Greenberg has his hand up. So Alan, you have the floor.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Just to add, I put in the chat that Consumer's Web Watch should also be in that list. We had been told numerous times they do not exist anymore.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Okay. Thank you very much Alan. So that's an action item for staff then to add Consumer's Web Watch to the list of things that ALSs that we are going to have to work on, and to collect evidence for their eventual decertification. There are a couple of more ALSs looking back at the discussions in 2009, which are also bring more names to the list.

So that list is likely to grow, but that's the first step into At-Large cleaning up some of those defunct ALSs out there. So, the process from now, and this is now I thought we would have this immediately, is to basically launch a vote.

Alan has put the two motions, sent two motions for decertification on the ALAC list. They were seconded, so now the vote will start. I'm not sure if the vote has started or not. Matt?

MATT ASHTIANI:

Hi this is Matt. No the vote has not started, but it will start today.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Fantastic. Alan, your hand is still up.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah. Just a question on confidentiality. The restriction on those pages, at least the one that I checked, is confluence users, so it's not restricted to ALAC or anything like that. It's basically anyone in ICANN who uses confluence. So it's not... It may not be indexed, but it's not particularly private.

I'm just pointing that out if that's the intent.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes Alan. Thank you for pointing this out. There was a discussion with staff that I had with staff, and the question was whether we wanted to make it just accessible to ALAC members, or to At-Large, or to everyone who has a login. Really, the idea was to avoid having the indexing done by search engines.

But with regards to everything else, everybody else being able to read this, I think it shows transparency in our community to not hide things within the ICANN community.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. And we are sure that Google doesn't have an ID in confluence?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: [Laughs]

ALAN GREENBERG: Google has IDs on many, many, many private systems. That's why I'm asking.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I hear some people... And I have a smile by the way, it's Olivier here. But you know, you might be right. I'm not sure, and I'm not going to answer you on that. I also wonder whether Obama has an ID on confluence as well, but that's another question.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm less worried about Obama and the NSA. I find [? 0:33:40] on Google, which I cannot see, because I don't have an idea on their system. But Google does. But I'm just asking the question, maybe we should ask staff.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you Alan. Let's ask the question, whether they will answer you these are things that...

ALAN GREENBERG: Or I'll just do a search.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: You can do a search. You'll find that on anything that is open that's out there, will work. Okay. So expect this vote to start soon. And next,

item is item number five, and item number five is the reports from working groups, RALOs, liaisons, and also the ALAC monthly reports.

I invite you all to have a look at those. There is a page that is on there. I'm going to pass over the RALO secretariat reports. I was just going to give a couple of minutes to Wolf Ludwig since EURALO has held its General Assembly face to face, and I think that is of importance, and I was going to give the chance to Wolf to explain quickly what went on at EURODIG, during EURALO's General Assembly. Wolf Ludwig please.

WOLF LUDWIG:

Thanks again Olivier for the floor. Wolf Ludwig for the transcript. Well, we had the unique opportunity again, after a couple of years after Mexico 2009, to have our first face to face General Assembly, organized online. With the last EURODIG in Lisbon, and we succeeded in getting high mobilization of our members.

Actually we had 27 members participating physically in Lisbon, which makes almost 90% of the membership total. And in line with the General Assembly, we had the unique opportunity to get Fadi [? 0:35:52] and Nigel Hickson for another pre-event, where we invited our members to discuss with Fadi and Nigel the ICANN strategy for the next five years.

What was an interesting and encouraging meeting, having most of our ALSs around the table and being in the position to directly ask questions to the top of ICANN. Then we had our regular General Assembly. Including content part where we discussed how better we can involve

members in our regular work, or improve regional advice to ALAC and to ICANN.

What was an interesting discussion, we defined five semantic priorities in a bottom up manner asking our members. And at the end of our General Assembly, we had ICANN EURALO outreach meeting for EURODIG participants and the local community on the rules of the venue.

And all together, I can say it was a very good event, very encouraging also for a lot of our members after – given the motivation over the last years, etcetera, and it was worth to do all the efforts and to make it happen. Thanks.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you so much Wolf. And that's very helpful to know, and certainly another words in saying that face to face meetings are always bringing a lot of dynamics to members and certainly helping them to understand more what actually goes on at ICANN, and how to get involved more with those processes.

Any questions or comments on the RALO reports? Not only on the EURALO one but all of them. I just have to thank everyone for having provided those. And then, of course, we've got the liaison report and I just wanted to ask for a quick update from our GNSO liaison, and then our CPNSO liaison. So first, start with the GNSO liaison Alan Greenberg.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. The report of the last meeting is up, and you've been receiving a number of emails from me on the ALAC list. I strongly support – I strongly suggest that people take the time to go and either read the transcript or listen to the MP3. I've identified exactly what range of minutes or pages it is, on the discussion of the GNSO on the Board we consideration of the NCSG.

The Board opinion, the [AUDIO INTERFERENCE 0:39:03] ...that shuffling in the kitchen is exceedingly distracting. And I've now sent emails on the – because the Board changed their rationale for the – or the Board governance committee, replaced their whole argument with one that was far less legalistic and far more open to the fact that implementation, for instance, can and must involve the multi-stakeholder model, which is something they've not said before.

And there has been a recent motion that will be made in Durban to essentially put a requirement in that the Board cannot ignore GNSO advice. They currently can't ignore PDP, they have to at least discuss and provide a rationale on why they are ignoring it.

The original BGC response said for any other action of the GNSO, or policy developed through non PDP means, they could just ignore it with impunity. The GNSO is asking for a bylaw, or maybe asking for a bylaw change, which essentially changes that.

Since the original presentation, it has been enlarged to include things like advice, not just formal policy advice. I think this overall is a good thing. The Board should not be in a position to just stonewall things that come from the community. And I think it's a good model that we

may use to request a similar, obviously different worded, but a similar requirement.

Not with the rigger that the GAC has, but in line with what the GNSO already has for PDPs. That is, if we give advice, and I'm talking about things that we formally label advice, not just a random statement, that to be a process that follows it. So I think it's an interesting discussion, it's an interesting half process that's going on, and I think it's something that we can both benefit from, but certainly should be aware of. Thank you.

That was, by the way, for the GNSO, were typically items are limited 10 or 15 minutes. That was an item which ended up taking an hour and one minute in terms of discussion. So it is a substantive discussion, and I think it is worth, bears listening to. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Alan. Are there any questions or comments? No one put their hand up, I'm glad we're not taking an hour and ten minutes on this subject, but no doubt we will be following up when we meet in Durban.

Next is the ccNSO report, and I believe we have Cheryl Langdon-Orr who will be able to explain to us what went on in the ccNSO. Cheryl? So far we cannot hear you Cheryl, I'm afraid.

GISELLA GRUBER: Olivier, Gisella here.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes...

GISELLA GRUBER: Cheryl is on the, sorry. Cheryl is on the nom com call. She's just following by Adobe Connect, so she may be able to give an update after the nom com call in about 15 mintues.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you Gisella. Well, we'll come back to this...

ALAN GREENBERG: It's Alan. She said see her page, it's updated.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Fantastic. Yeah. See my page, it's updated. Okay. Fantastic. So looking at all the pages, any questions or comments on any of the reports? I must say, I have to thank everyone they are nearly all of the – both working group and also secretariat reports and the liaison reports, maybe all of them are up to date.

And that's really great. This page is really helpful for people who are interested in the work of At-Large, and finding out what is going on and in each part. So thanks to all of you. Alan, you put your hand up again.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah. Just to report on my work assignment, Alpha Ready page is indexed, it was indexed on June 1st, perhaps that was before the restriction was put on, I don't know. I'm not privy to when that was done. The other pages are not indexed at this point.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you. Right. Let's move on then. The items for decision are the next thing, and that's the ALAC policy development activity, where we have of course our policy advice development. I invite you all to have a look at the At-Large policy development page, which Matt so expertly maintains. The recently adopted ALAC statements, we have the proposed final 2013 registrar accreditation agreement.

We have the fiscal year 14 draft operating plan and budget. The new gTLD Board committee consideration of GAC safeguard advice, and the implementation of internationalized domain name variant top level domains. I have to thank the people who have held the pen on these very much.

Are there any questions or comments on these four recently adopted ALAC statements? I don't see anyone putting their hand up, so let's move into the statements or endorsements currently being developed, or voted on by the ALAC. The first one is, explore the draft next generation gTLD directory services model.

And that actually is not a public comment process for some strange reason, but that's a question that was sent by Jean-Francois [? 0:45:25], who is the person in charge of this new expert working group. And the email was sent a couple of days ago and sent over to us.

I believe we have a couple of people, actually one person who is in that expert working group, that's Carlton Samuels. Perhaps Carlton could give us a few notes about this request.

CARLTON SAMUELS:

Thank you Olivier. This is Carlton for the record and transcript. You're quite right, it wasn't intended to be a formal public comment. We have an interim report which we wanted to put out for additional information from the community. The idea was that if we put out what we have done so far, and get some informal feedback from the community as a whole, it would improve the work output towards the final report which we are contemplating will be delivered for – in time for Buenos Aries.

So we really intended to [? 0:46:40] conversations in the various ACSOs on what has been done so far. If you look at what... There has been a lot of buzz on the output from the technology medium especially, and it's actually doing exactly what we had intended. The staff has put out a report that shows a wide range of discussions that have joined the conversation.

We are getting a sense of what grates people about the idea that we are proposing, and it gives us a reason to sharpen our understanding and our common objective. So it's really very useful to have these conversations and feedback outside of a public comment. Thanks.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Carlton. And I note that there is a webinar on the 8th of July, on Monday the 8th of July. I invite everyone to attend that webinar and certainly staff will be sending reminders on the lists. And of course, there is also a consultation in Durban on Monday, 15th of July, and I'm sure some of our ALAC members will be able to be present there in person.

And for those who are not going to be there in Durban, than you can obviously follow remotely, I'm sure that there is ample remote participation for this. So thanks for this Carlton. Next is the draft final report on universal acceptance on IDN CLDs. And Rinalia is to confirm if a statement is necessary. Rinalia, do you have an update on this please?

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Hi. This is Rinalia for the transcript. Yes I do think that a statement is necessary. It does not have to be elaborate, but I think a statement of support from the At-Large is important. And I've drafted a simple draft, it's up on the Wiki, and comments from the ALAC members are most welcome.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Fantastic. Thank you very much Rinalia Abdul Rahim. Next, the initial reports on protection of IGOs, that's Inter Governmental Organization. Sorry, International Governmental Organization and International Non-Governmental Organization identifies, and all gTLDs. Evan and Alan had last put their hand up to draft a statement. Is there an update on this please gentlemen? Alan Greenberg.

ALAN GREENBERG: We haven't.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you [laughs], could you please get on this?

ALAN GREENBERG: I guess we need to get onto it this week.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Olivier, this is Evan. I'll commit, we will get this done very soon.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Fantastic. Thank you. Next...

ALAN GREENBERG: Sorry I'm [? 0:49:44] making terse statement.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Next, the consultation on the source of policies and user instructions for internet member resource requests. An email was sent to the technical issues working group, which has several people who know much about internet number resource allocations, etcetera. Lutz [? 0:50:04] put his hand up, that he would be drafting a statement. So we're awaiting for a first draft, staff will publicize this as soon as it is received.

The tick WHOIS initial report, GNSO policy development process. Alan, again, you said you would be drafting a statement on this?

ALAN GREENBERG:

Alan again. And Alan actually drafted a statement on that. This PDP has what might be the shortest recommendations, it has one recommendation and it is very short. I did my best to make my statement on it shorter than the statement. It's on the Wiki where it's pointed to, it's very easy to miss.

I will read it to you in full, "The ALAC strongly supports the recommendation to require thick WHOIS for all gTLDs." Period. I see absolutely no reason to make it any more elaborate than that. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much Alan. And I was going to suggest just adding in line with previous ALAC advice, and maybe just list the previous advice that we had been provided. But that certainly does not change the gist of the statement itself.

ALAN GREENBERG:

And the work group has all of that and they've commented on those. So.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Perfect. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: I like to terse, but if anyone wants more words, feel free to change it.
[CROSSTALK 0:51:41]

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: ...don't need any more words than that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Go ahead Evan.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I support terse. I like Alan's statement exactly as is. Anyone who cares about the history will know what we've said in the past. I think being short, blunt, and to the point is the best thing we can do at this point. We've already talked plenty about it.

I support exactly what Alan has done. Thanks. [CROSSTALK 0:52:05]

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Evan. And I see Carlton as well agreeing with this. Okay. And I see Rinalia as well. Happy with one sentence statement on thick WHOIS. Right. Let's move on then. The last one in that list is a statement on WCIT outcomes, and as you know, I am still somewhere in the process of drafting a statement.

Currently open public comments, there are four of them where no statement – where it was decided that there would be no statement

necessary. There is proposed renewal of dot org, dot info, and dot biz gTLD registry agreements.

The review of the material showed that there was no real significant change that needed our input, nothing that raised the red flag in saying, “Well, we actually need to talk about this.” If anyone thinks otherwise, than please give us a shout.

You can either, you can put your hand up now or we could – you could just follow up after this call on the email.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Olivier, this is Evan.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Evan, please, go ahead.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Hi. I think the main issue that we’ve had previously to do with renewals of contracts was when dot come came up for renewal simply to suggest that they went to a thick WHOIS. Since that isn’t an issue with the new ones up for renewal, I think that’s at the heart of why we don’t really have that much to say about them.

In fact, when we did make a comment, it was about dot com, and it was primarily about WHOIS. So anyway. So these, I think, are nonissues in that regard. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Evan. Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: We also had some concern that when a transition was made to allow vertical integration, shared ownership with registrars, that implicitly, if the new gTLD contract was dissolved then price caps would be gone specifically in the dot org, dot come, and dot net contracts. The price caps are still there. We can be quiet.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Alan. And let's move on to the last one in this series, the GNSO structures charter amendment process. And again, here no statement as it was felt that these were just complex things and with the amount of bandwidth that we have, it wasn't worth commenting on, especially since it is an internal GNSO matter.

Any comments or questions on these? I don't see anyone putting their hand up. So the next part is part D, introduction to the new At-Large policy development early engagement workspace. And I'm going to ask Matt Ashtiani to take us through this please. If Matt is online, because at the moment he is muted.

MATT ASHTIANI: Hello?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Now we can hear you Matt. Please go ahead.

MATT ASHTIANI:

Hi everyone. This is Matt for the record. So to go over this new section, it might be helpful if you open the web page. I'll actually put the link into the – sorry, the AC chat for you. So this page stems from Beijing, where it was – when things are starting to come up early, the ALAC wish to know what basically was their way.

So they actually started working on it last night, or two days ago. So it seems as though as it is still under construction, which it is. It's a brand new page. So if you look at it, it will have the dates in which early engagement actually occurred, the community group responsible for the early engagement, and the issue.

If you click on, for example, let's say being a registrar transfer policy development process part C, I'll place this into the chat for everyone. The page follows the same format as all the other pages, which is what is the issue? What are the upcoming important dates? What is the summary of it? What is the ALAC engagement opportunity?

Is there any additional information? And are there any additional ALAC related documents or statements? I listed where past statements to the issues. For this particular one, we haven't actually had anything, but there are others where we have, I've listed the past statements.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Okay. Thank you very much Matt. And this, of course, is a page that was developed in response to being able to work smarter, and being able to forecast what we need to – what work is coming up. But at the

same time also help our volunteers in being able to know whether they would be welcome in joining [? 0:57:23] on the GNSO or other policy development work elsewhere.

I see that Alan Greenberg has put his hand up. So Alan, you have the floor.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. Without trying to put pressure on staff that I know is busy, when can we expect this to be in a state where it is useable? I mean, right now I see that there are duplicates across the line, that is the same effort that goes under several names, and there is a number of current ones which aren't there yet.

So I really don't think we want to publicize this until it is ready. But specific, is it going to be ready before Durban or not? Is that realistic?

MATT ASHTIANI:

This is Matt for the record. It will be ready for Durban. It's in a state of needed to be updated because I started to do it, and was just too exhausted last night. But as to past things that are coming up, I don't think that we're going to do that. This is going to be starting from May and going forward.

If there is any that you would absolutely miss, I'd be happy to add it. The reason why you see [? 0:58:36] is because to be absolutely honest, I didn't know there were going to be duplicates. The reason why [? 0:58:43], I needed to rethink the page structure because I didn't realize how things were going to come out.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah. I'm not criticizing, I'm just noting the protection of certain international names is there twice...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, yeah.

ALAN GREENBERG: ...is there twice. So I'm just pointing out, it's still in progress and I understand that. It's a really useful thing to point our community to, particularly at the stages where they are looking for volunteers, because that's hard information to find in a single place, certainly across the various different SOs, and across different even non-SO initiated activity.

So it will be useful, and it would be good if it is ready for Durban. I was just asking if that is realistic or not.

MATT ASHTIANI: This is Matt. Absolutely, that's my goal. So in Durban, I'm sure we're going to show it to everybody. If it's still up to par, I would like to hear everybody comment on it because this is brand new for me as well.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Matt and...

ALAN GREENBERG: ...put some things in the chat, which I think are good ideas also. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Matt. Thank you Alan. Yes, Avri has mentioned, is there a space in that list that the lead volunteer working on something so that people know who to contact? And also, the need to have the staff person holding the token on these, and the name, etcetera.

I would suggest, and I think one of the reasons why this was included in this agenda here is, first to give you a heads up on what's coming up, but also to request anyone who is interested in this to be able to help Matt in giving him feedback as he is building this, even prior to Durban.

So I know that Alan and Avri, if it's okay with you, that Matt can bounce off some ideas on this and build it up from here, that would be helpful. And of course, anyone else who is interested in this. We're not going to have a working group for this by the way, this is very informal at this point with Matt doing a great job in bringing this together.

Right. Let's move on because I do note that the hour, the first hour of our call has past. We are now item number seven, the ALAC endorsement of the 2014 ALAC voting delegates to the nom com. Now, there is a thing though with regards to this in that this part of the call would need to be in camera, which means that it would need to be effectively only ALAC members and no recording, etcetera.

What I suggest is that we first go through some of the other items after this, and then finish with this item because it's going to be hard losing

people and then bringing people back on afterwards. How are we feeling about this?

CARLTON SAMUELS: Yes. This is Carlton. Yes.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I see Carlton is okay. Just to remind you, we're not going to have a vote. We will probably have a consensus call on those – for those regions where there is maybe... Well, we're going to have a discussion on the candidates basically, that's it. And then afterwards, we will be going on with an ALAC endorsement vote that will go on between the second and the eighth of July.

So the base of the discussion is today. Anyone objects to us moving this to the end of the call? There is a question, will there be NSA protection? I'm not quite sure how that would work. I think the only protection we would get is by just turning all of your devices off and remaining in a cave, but that's probably not conducive to ALAC business.

Right. So let's do this then and move on to item number eight. And we'll go through the rest of the items quite fast. So item number eight is the new gTLD working group leadership. And that's quite a strange title, but in fact the page of the new gTLD shows you the work that the new gTLD working group has done. And also shows that there is currently a chair who is [Avri ? 1:03:23] who I believe is on the phone, on line with us. And [Avri] has been under an enormous amount of

work, not only in the new gTLD working group which I have to add, has done an incredible amount of work.

So well done to the whole group. But [Avri] herself has also now been a vice chair of the ATRT, and of course she also has a day job and keeps on travelling to conferences, etcetera. So unfortunately, she's feeling much of the strain like many of our volunteers are. The suggestion was that there could be a co-chair for that working group, and as someone who has been very active in the working group, Evan Leibovitch has very quickly stepped forward and suggested that he might be interested in helping out and being a co-chair.

Now, of course, there are two questions. The first one is, is it the ALAC's job to appoint a chair and co-chairs, etcetera? And the second one being, is it the working group to do that? In fact, you can have it just as one question, is it the ALAC or the working group?

My feeling, and I'm going to answer this very quickly, is that the ALAC charters the working group, but then afterwards then chooses its chair, if it wishes to do so. But I see people who know better than I do on this, so Carlton first and then Alan Greenberg. Carlton Samuels, go ahead.

CARLTON SAMUELS:

Thank you Olivier. It's Carlton for the transcript. Actually we feel the same way about it. The ALAC is responsible for the chartering the working group, the working group should have the confidence to determine leadership. And I think that's the way it ought to be. Thanks.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Carlton. Alan Greenberg.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah. We've done it both ways in the past. On occasion, we feel the chair is strategically important enough that we believe the ALAC should name the chair. I can't remember how we did it in this group, and I would – regardless of how the chair was named in this one, I would have absolutely no qualms in saying if the work group wants to establish a vice-chair or co-chair, whatever it is, I can't...

Maybe it needs to come back for a [? 1:05:49] ratification, we have never been that formal in the past so I'm not sure why we should start now. So I don't think...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, thank you very much Alan. So [Avri], I know that you are on the call. That's your answer, I guess. I certainly don't see any bylaw or anything that says that the ALAC has to appoint chairs, vice chairs, etcetera. And certainly from the work that the ALAC has done in the past, usually an interim chair was appointed to start the working group, but then the working group would appoint – or either confirm the interim chair afterwards or appoint its own chair later on.

Any word [Avri], are you able to speak?

ALAN GREENBERG: She has put some notes in the chat.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: She has. Okay. Perfect. So yeah, if you can, please ask the group if they're fine with co-chairs, and then work it out within the working group. That, I think, is fine with the ALAC.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Olivier, this is Evan.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Don't see anyone objecting. Evan Leibovitch, go ahead.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Thanks. Okay. First of all, I appreciate [Avri's] confidence and the confidence of the rest of the group, should it want to do the co-chair and I'm happy to do that. I also wanted to make the point that given what Alan just said, that there is some working groups that are strategically important, given what is to happen with what – well, what we find out earlier in this call, is that we have to investigate what's happening with things like the public interest commitments and that kind of thing.

There is a potential for ALAC to take a very, very prominent role in actually helping to determine how these commitments are executed, how they are done. And so they're... At one point, going from thinking well, does the gTLD committee have anything to do once the objections are done to the possibility that there is a very front and center role that we may be taking.

I think it goes to the answer of, well, is this going to be something strategically important? I think right now this is sort of a matter of we don't know what we don't know. But it's totally conceivable that going forward, that this group could become very active and very high profile. Thanks.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Evan. I think we've spent enough time on this. So I see Carlton has put his hand up as well. Carlton?

CARLTON SAMUELS: Yes this is Carlton for the transcript. I'm just endorsing what Evan says, but we have precedent in that if you recall, the applicant support working group, it's started because – and we actually made some choices about what the Chair, because we thought the strategic, and we had success done in that tool.

I don't see it as anything that we should worry about. I'm frankly more concerned that the issues that are assigned to the committee are within the charter. And I think the charter that we wrote for the new gTLD is sufficiently elastic to allow for all of those things, including PRCs.

Members will remember that my whole position on PRCs is that if you don't put it within the contract, it's nice to have unless it is going to be contractual publications. And I think it's going to be a long process to work that out, and it will require some serious thinking among us to decide how we go with that. Thanks.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Carlton. In closing, this agenda item, I'd like to remind anyone who is not part of this working group that is interested in the new gTLD challenges that we are faced with daily, that they can join the group, of course they're very welcome to do so.

And that's not only ALAC members, but At-Large, anyone really out there is encouraged to join the group. I thank you for this, and let's move then to the next agenda item. That's the update from IANA with [? 1:10:09], VP for IANA and Technical Operations.

I believe that she might not be with us. Heidi, have we heard from her?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you Olivier. This is Heidi. No we have not heard from her, but she is just returning from her holiday, so that's the reason. So a question to you is whether we should try to squeeze her into the very busy schedules already in Durban, or ask her to be on the August ALAC call?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Heidi. I do know that there are some movements at the moment as far as IANA and technical operations are concerned. Perhaps would it be helpful to see her briefly in Durban. I know how busy Durban is though. So maybe we can follow up later on.

And as you know, the scheduling of meetings is often discussed on the executive committee call, I don't want to bore the whole of the ALAC on this. So let's punt this over to the next few days. If anyone feels

strongly about having an update, or no update with it, please just drop me a note and we'll act accordingly.

Tuesday is a possibility. Well, yeah, so much [laughs]. Right, let's get on with things. Let's look at number 10, and that's the review of the At-Large meeting schedules since we are speaking about Durban. And for this, let's first Heidi Ullrich take us through these.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you Olivier. I think we are in pretty good shape for the At-Large meetings. This is the agenda, this is going into the chat for all of the At-Large meetings. They're going to be sent to translations today so you'll see shortly the French and Spanish versions of those agendas.

I think that really the key point at this stage or the questions, if we could move on to the next item. The questions for the meetings? I've just gone through them earlier today and we definitely need more for the ACSO leadership questions.

There are currently just three comments and I'm not sure if they're really questions, and for the GAC there is one question posted, and for all of the others, the ICANN Board questions, the GSC questions, and the communication questions, there are no questions posted.

So I think that that's something we can really focus on perhaps. Olivier, do you want to take it from there and I'll come back to the others then?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thank you very much Heidi. The floor is open for anyone who has a view right now. The problem, of course, is that we ended up with no questions. And then when the meeting takes place, everyone says, “Well, why did we not ask questions?” So we do have to ask questions.

And if I don’t see any questions there, then a handful of us will end up writing whatever questions they think might be the ones required and the handful usually ends up being the ExCom. Evan Leibovitch?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Hi Olivier. Well, based on the charge that I was given at the beginning of this call, I may have some things to add to quite a few [? 1:13:45]

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you very much Evan. Tijani Ben Jemma?

TIJANI BEN JEMMA: Thank you Olivier. What is a suitable time, a suitable deadline for those questions?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Tijani. I think it’s the 1st of May 2013, which is about two months ago [laughter]. So yeah, these really need to be in very, very quickly. I think we probably looking before the end of this week, and even that is probably going to be quite late unfortunately.

But [CROSSTALK 1:14:27] with something in our pockets.

TIJANI BEN JEMMA: Okay. I would like to look into during this week. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Tijani. Next is Alan Greenberg.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. What's missing from that list is not questions, but issues that the ALAC wants to raise with the ATRT.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: You're absolutely right Alan, yes. And that's an additional set of things which we need to think quite carefully about.

ALAN GREENBERG: The ALAC has a very limited time with the ATRT, and this is the opportunity for a stab at the, whatever, making changes, getting changes.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Just to remind everyone, the ATRT is in listening mode, and it's the Accountability and Transparency Review Team, looking at the key parts of the affirmation of commitments, which require of ICANN full transparency and accountability, etcetera. And which we often hear in our ranks is missing from ICANN. The search for the public interest, etcetera.

I understand that there was requests, not requests but there was some input brought in by some At-Large members that was sent to the public consultation. And this might be one of the subjects that will be discussed. The request that ICANN starts behaving as a regulator, or at least regulates its contracts.

Okay. I don't wish to spend so much time on this. I mean, as you know, we're not going to get the answers right now that we need, but you have until before the end of the week for these two, seriously look at that page and add the questions and comments, and we'll put them together and send them to the required people.

Next, so update on formal meetings with ACs and SOs, Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay. Thank you Olivier. Actually we're going to the next several questions sort of a team effort between people and myself. So for the formal meetings with the ACs and SOs, we have meetings with the GAC, with the ASO, with the Board, which I know isn't an AC or SO, but that's another meeting. You know, I think that's it for the formal ones.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Yes. Sorry, Gisella here.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

So I think that's it for the formal meetings, and then if we can move on to the informal meetings. Now this is going to be not only the AC and

SO informal meetings, but also informal meetings that we've heard of in the last few weeks with various groups and various staff members.

So Gisella, if we can hand that over to you, and then I'll jump in as necessary.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Yes. Thank you Heidi. Gisella here. We will have an informal meeting with between the NCSG and ExCom. We're still looking into dates for that, the schedule as usual from ICANN is fairly challenging. We also have a meeting, an informal meeting with the registrar and the ExCom.

We will have an... Going on to the working groups, we will have an ATLAS II survey working group meeting, informal. As well as a... I do have a technology taskforce listed here as well.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes. That one is going to be... This is Heidi. That one with the TTS is going to be with Chris Gift, and that one is primarily on the Lucid issue. I believe, is that correct? Please correct me, okay Gisella?

GISELLA GRUBER:

Yes. Correct. And then there was another one with regards to the small team with the capacity building, Chris Gift, and Nora as well.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Okay.

GISELLA GRUBER: Is that correct Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct. Correct. So that one is going to be with Chris Gift and Nora [? 1:19:00], with people who have been working with the Academy, just basically to go over the backend, the full backend through the Academy, the bigger part of it. And then talk a little bit about the ACSO leadership pilots in Buenos Aries, and the OET.

Now there is going to be a formal call with Nora today to get some of those people involved, but the informal meeting in Durban will allow for greater discussion and more details. Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Any questions on that? And then we'll move over to... If not, we'll move over to the social events and plans.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Heidi, I was just going to add, it's Olivier here, that the informal meetings are really primarily to touch on specific issues sometimes, which would not be of interest to the whole of the ALAC. And certainly some of it is due to a visit that we will be having.

For example, I believe there is also the domains – what is it? The domain [? 1:20:05] that's going to be presenting to us in the ALAC room.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Actually that going to be... This is Heidi. That's going to be just 15 minutes I believe, 15 to 30 minutes on Sunday.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. And thank you. And that's a curious thing, and we were contacted by domains [? 1:20:25], so it's a sort of domain name industry [? 1:20:29] that is putting itself together. And that basically wanted to come and talk to the ALAC, so 15 minutes of discussion with them. And then afterwards, I guess, we will be able to discuss informally what this [? 1:20:48] is about with the registrars later on.

It should be quiet interesting indeed. Let's move on with, and quickly, move swiftly, through the rest of the things, social events, etcetera.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Gisella please?

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes Olivier. Gisella here. Can you hear me?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes. Please go ahead.

GISELLA GRUBER: Hello? [CROSSTALK 1:21:13] On... Yes, on Monday the 15th, we have the LACRALO showcase which will be held from 6:30 PM. And Tuesday, we are looking into organizing an ALAC dinner before the music night, the details will be sent out later today.

I'm just working on logistics. On Wednesday evening, we have the gala event. And on Thursday we have the closing cocktails.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you very much Gisella. Let's move on then with the next issue here, which is the update on the constituency travel request for completion of tax forms.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. We've skipped over the AFRALO showcase. Tijani, if you wish to do that or we can...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Gisella just mentioned it, she mentioned the AFRALO showcase.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. We just wanted to talk a little bit about [CROSSTALK 1:22:19]...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: ...please go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Tijani do you want to talk about that briefly?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. Thank you, thank you Olivier. Tijani speaking. So we will have the showcase in Durban, and it should be slightly different from the other showcase. I remind you that we held the showcase in Nairobi first, and then the second was in Dakar and this is the third showcase we are organizing.

And no one is the similar to the other, we are always changing. And this time we will involve – will bring in the local community, the South African end users in this showcase. And they will be the stars of the showcase.

They will be also... We spoke with Janice and they will be integrated with the program. They will be also our meetings, and our activities, and At-Large. So I think I said a lot. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Tijani. That's very helpful. And of course, we always welcome the showcase as being the time when we recognize our volunteers and when we can actually see some of the local activities

taking place. And AFRALO has been a leader in this, always pioneering the showcases.

So there is one additional thing that we need to mention, and thank you Cheryl for reminding me. I was scratching my head before this call trying to think about the, what we would have missed, and that's the 10 years of the ccNSO. The ccNSO is going to have a number events taking place. I wonder whether Cheryl is back, is with us, or is not?

I was hoping she could say a few words on this. Unfortunately, not, I can't hear Cheryl at the moment. So if I could ask that an actual list of the 10 year events is going to be sent over to the ALAC list, find out what is going on, and also I haven't been contacted to be told, when to attend, what to attend, etcetera, and I'm rather concerned about this.

So I see a [? 1:24:56] which I believe is Australian for cocktail. And we'll have to get more, I guess, more information from you Cheryl afterwards, if we could please have... And that will be sent to the ALAC list.

Let's move on quickly to the next thing, and that's going to be the update on constituency travel requests for completion of tax form. As you know, their recent travel request has asked for non-US citizens to fill in a W8BEN tax form. And for US citizens to fill in a W9 tax form.

This is the first time we've ever heard of this, and there was a question as to why volunteers who are not receiving a salary would have to fill something like this, and whether we can get by without filling one. Could we have an update from Heidi please?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes. Thank you. This is Heidi. Okay, so Alan and I have been speaking on this issue, and Alan sent over questions, outlining what was the concerns of the ALAC. I've been in touch, over the last few weeks, with finance on getting responses.

There is a Wiki page on the agenda now in the chat that talks about what the responses on these questions. So rather than reading them, I also had another conversation with people in finance who are working on this yesterday, and their response, they are aware of ALAC concerns, but basically these are required, these forms.

They are just complying with what US law is, and as long as ICANN is registered in the US, they do need to comply with that. But basically, I was told that really all that needs to be completed on these forms are four things: your name, your address, indication that you are an individual, and your signature, and that's basically all that's required.

Now the W8 ones will not be sent to any US government agencies, unless ICANN is audited, and then they'll be given to those auditors I believe. So I'm not sure if that really helps with any...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Yes. Thank you very much Heidi. It's Olivier for the transcript. I can actually say that I was asked to supply a W8BEN form, and I think it was when going over to Baku, so that's about six, seven months ago, and I'm still alive. So I'm glad to say it doesn't seem to have been any follow up, or any negative consequences for filling in one of these.

Tijani Ben Jemaa, you have the floor.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes. I would like to ask Heidi, shall we receive our per diem if we don't fill in this form?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: And Heidi we cannot hear you, I'm afraid. Go ahead Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry everyone. So I don't believe... This is Heidi. I don't believe that you will. So again, the only four things you need to fill out on these forms are your name, address, check that you're an individual, and then sign it and mail it in.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes. I know it is not difficult. I know it's not a huge thing to do. But the question is, I am touching a salary from ICANN to fill in the tax form, it is strange. But I will do it if they want, but just to understand.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Again, Olivier, Tijani, this is Heidi. It's not necessarily what I want it's [AUDIO FADE OUT 1:29:00]...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Heidi, I'm afraid we can't hear you. You're dropping off. You must be in an area of bad connectivity.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Is that better?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That's better now, please go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. I'm sorry, it's my headset. So okay, again it's the US law that's requiring it. It's not a new law, it's that ICANN or the finance department all of their requirements put into place. I think that's why. So, yes, so it is a requirement to submit these forms, but really only four points need to be done. Those four is basically your name, your address, check that you're an individual, and sign it, and then you complete it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Heidi. And I think that part of this is all caused about the US basically making sure that no one is getting any payment that might be construed as a salary, and is not paying tax on it. If you're an US citizen, obviously you will have to pay tax. If you're not an US citizen, you'd have to show that you are not based in the US.

And that's just the piece of paper that ICANN can show to anyone doing an audit on ICANN and saying, "Well, who are these people you're paying these per diems to? Are they US citizens? Are they receiving wages?" Etcetera, etcetera.

It's just additional documentary evidence. And as you all know at the moment, tax authorities are particularly nasty because they're looking for money. Alan, yes, then we have to close on this. We are now past closing time for this call. Alan Greenberg, go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier, you just said if you are an US citizen, and we have some of those among our volunteers, you have to pay tax on expense reimbursements and per diems?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I would say, no, no, no [CROSSTALK 1:30:56]... Well, okay. If you are an US citizen and you are receiving a salary, you would have to pay tax. [CROSSTALK 1:31:02]

ALAN GREENBERG: ...talking about expenses and per diems here.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Correct. The form, I believe, the W9 form, is more complex than the W8 form. Is that the case Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: I have not looked at it since it doesn't apply to me in recent decades.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I see Sébastien having put his hand up. Sébastien Bachollet.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Yes. You can hear me? Okay.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, go ahead.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: I hope that you will get the answer from the question raised by Alan on your behalf, finance department. I talk with CFO and after a lot of discussion, we had ExCom [? 1:31:55], he told me that any country where we can try to do that, if we decide to do that in another country, we will get the same type of request for information.

And it's not specific because it's US, it's because it's a request because ICANN is giving money, not a give, but because you are reimbursed or you get a per diem. And the question is that, of Tijani's is that do you will get your per diem if you don't pay?

My request was an observer, it's coming very, very soon. That it's not a decision to not give your per diem or withdraw the money before Durban, even if you don't send in the form. Subject to everybody to send the form, but if it's not done, I hope that you will get the money before Durban.

And if you have any trouble with that, please come back to me and I will try to do my best to avoid any problem on that. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Sébastien, that's very helpful. I think we've now got the chance to move on then. And let's move to the items for information. We are reaching the end of this call very soon, and of course we'll still have to treat the endorsement of the 2014 ALAC voting delegates to the nom com.

Item number 11, updates [CROSSTALK 1:33:40]...

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier, Olivier. It's Alan.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes. Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: I did have my hand up before we moved to items for information.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Oh, sorry. I didn't see it. It didn't come up. Alan go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG: I have a concern that it's a week. I leave town in a week from now, I still don't know what hotel I'm staying in, and the travel – consistency travel information says all of us are in a beach hotel, a kilometer plus away in the a city which is not particularly safe to walk in, and a very limited per diem.

I would like at least some clarity as to what hotel I'm going to be in soon. Are we ever going to find out?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Alan. That's a good point. We probably should be able to find out from Heidi, who can contact travel.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. We've been in contact and meeting staff about that. We don't have full clarity yet. It's either going to be in the Hilton, which is right next to the ICC, or in the southern [? 1:34:44] I believe, Gisella please correct me if I'm wrong, which is the one which is about 1.4 kilometers away.

There is going to be a shuttle service. So taxis are not going to be required unless you're completely outside of the shuttle services. We're hoping that the announcement of where everyone is going to be staying is going to be [? 1:35:02], and we can ask again.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Heidi. Can I just register, on a personal level, that this is rather ridiculous. Because I am flying eight days from now, and I still don't know where I shall be staying, which is just very unprofessional. I'm really sorry, but this is just not something that you do in the last very minute. They should have known a long time ago.

So please put pressure on them. Right. I see agreement from Alan as well, yes. A number of us are not pleased with this kind of arrangement.

ALAN GREENBERG:

And a number of us are showing up before the shuttles start.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

And that's another problem. And a number of us might be travelling to the center before the shuttle starts. Anyway, let's not linger on about this. Let's find out and get an answer from staff on that.

And let's move on to item number 11, update on the next beginner's guide on ALAC policy. Matt Ashtiani you have the floor, for less than three minutes please.

MATT ASHTIANI:

This is Matt Ahtiani for the record. For the beginner's guide, I monitored the conversations, the chats. So the text has been updated. Also, a few people have sent me personal notes on what they would like to see changed. [? 1:36:30] of all of that.

As of right now, for me, the test is as final as it could be. And if anyone else has any additional comments to this, regarding the test.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much Matt. By when do you need all of those comments by the way? What's your deadline on that?

MATT ASHTIANI: I think the deadline was last Friday, actually.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you Matt. I see there is a pattern here. Alan Greenberg.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. I have been a bit busy, as some of you may have seen from my email, I plan to review it. I will do it in the next day or so, I hope you'll be able to include my comments. I do make one comment here, on the cover, can we please spell At-Large correctly?

We have a dash after the at, thank you.

MATT ASHTIANI: I know that the designer is aware of that error. So it will be updated.
[CROSSTALK 1:37:31]

ALAN GREENBERG: I understand it will change the symmetry of the words, but...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay.

MATT ASHTIANI: If you could get back to me in the next couple of days...

ALAN GREENBERG: I will.

MATT ASHTIANI: ...problem. So I mean, don't worry about it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you, thank you very much gentlemen. We do have to move on. I'm going to ask anyone – well, everyone who is on the call to have a read through, because that's your time to be able to comment about it, and if you do notice anything that might need further explanation, or rewriting, or maybe a few additional paragraphs to be added to make the guide clearer, then please email Matt Ashtiani and let him know.

And do this very quickly because it's going to be camera ready very soon. So, now we have any other business and then afterwards, we will have to close the normal part of the call and go in camera for the ALAC endorsement of the 2014 voting delegates to the nom com.

Any other business to start with? I don't see anyone putting their hand up. Okay. Well, then that means we are moving over to agenda item number seven, the ALAC endorsement of the 2014 ALAC voting delegates to the nom com. This part of the call will take place in camera, which effectively means that the recording will be stopped.

And that we will unfortunately have to ask anyone who is not At-Large Advisory Committee members or liaison to go off the call, because it is

an ALAC matter and we'll be discussing – unfortunately, we will be discussing candidates.

And whenever one discusses candidates, the discussions do go behind closed doors. Of course, that is to protect the candidates themselves. If I could ask...

ALAN GREENBERG: Do we really have the ability to know who is on Adobe, who is on [? 1:40:00] rather?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I believe that Gisella has a list of everybody who is on [? 1:40:06]. I thank all of you who are leaving us now. I see Eduardo has put his hand up. Eduardo Diaz, please go ahead.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes. This is Eduardo [AUDIO INTERFACE 1:40:17] ... This is Eduardo for the record. I just wanted to know if this call is going to be recorded when we are discussing the candidates?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: No it is not.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: But we will restart the recording afterwards. Okay, could we stop the recording please? And could I ask anyone who is not in ALAC to I guess leave or...

GISELLA: Olivier, the recording, it's Gisella, the recording is back on.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Gisella. And welcome back. We are back on the call. This is Olivier Crépin-Leblond for the transcript. *...this is Olivier Crépin-Leblond for the transcript. And I'm hearing myself at the moment, if I could please... And I'm hearing myself at the moment, if I could please...*

Be muted. Or not me, but the speaker, thank you. *...not me but the speaker, thank you. I'm sorry, I'm still hearing myself and it's – someone's speaker is speaking back to me. That's probably better.*

Okay thank you. So welcome back, the ALAC has discussed agenda item number seven, the ALAC endorsement of the 2014 ALAC voting delegates to the nom com. The time allocated for this discussion was 15 minutes, the ALAC spent most of 45 minutes, maybe more than 45 minutes on this, such was the debate, the level of the debate regarding the different candidates.

And it was very... Well, we've reached a conclusion effectively. For AFRALO, Fatimata [? 1:42:13] who was the only candidate put forward by AFRALO, will remain as the only candidate for the consensus vote that will be taking of the ALAC on the AFRALO delegate.

On APRALO, the ALAC has decided to have Andy [? 1:42:33]... but also in additional candidate, [? 1:42:39], which is conditional on that additional candidate accepting the nomination and providing a full SOI. And so the ALAC will vote between these three candidates.

For EURALO, Veronica [? 1:42:58] was the only candidate that was put forward by EURALO, and the ALAC has decided to keep that candidate and therefore have a consensus call, or consensus vote on that candidate.

For LACRALO, out of the five candidates that were put forward, in alphabetical order, three candidates were retained, and those are Carlos [? 1:43:24] Umberto [? 1:43:27], and [? 1:43:28]. And so the ALAC will vote between those three candidates.

And for NARALO, only one candidate by NARALO and that's Louie [? 1:43:44], and no additional candidate was suggested by the ALAC. So Louie [? 1:43:50] will be the only candidate to vote on. Although, Louie [? 1:43:57] will have to provide a SOI. And this needs to be confirmed by staff as soon as the SOI is received.

The candidates will, well Louie will be given 24 hours to supply that SOI. The vote will start at 23:59 on the 3rd of July, which is roughly more than just over 30 hours, or 28 hours from now or so. That's a very rough approximation, I must be wrong when I do this quickly.

Anyway, so that's the feedback from this section. And this ends our ALAC call, I thank everyone on this call for this very, very long time that we have spent today. The time is 16:54 UTC, nearly 17:00, which makes it probably one of the longest ALAC calls that we have had so far.

So I thank all of you who have been on the call. And I therefore declare this call to be adjourned. Thank you very much to all of you and bye-bye, see you all in Durban. And I'm getting it right this time, it's Durban, not Beijing. Thanks bye-bye.

[Various good-byes]

[END OF TRANSCRIPT]