
JULIA CHARVOLEN:

Thank you. Welcome everyone to the ATLAS II OC call on Thursday, 20 February 2014 at 15 UTC. On the call today we have, Eduardo Diaz, Darlene Thompson, Natalia Enciso, Olivier, Crepin-Leblond, Siranush Vardanyan, Carlos Aguirre, Murray McKercher, and Dev Anand Teelucksingh.

We have apologies from Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Sandra Hoferichter, Roberto Gaetano, Fatima Cambroner, Jordi Iparraguirre, and Wolf Ludwig. And from staff we have Carlos Reyes, Ariel Lang, and myself, Julia Charvolen. Heidi Ullrich and Gisella Gruber will be joining us very shortly.

May I please remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you and over to you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you so much Julia. The agenda is on the Adobe, so do we want to approve the agenda we have here? So do you want to add any new business to it? Well, I don't hear anyone so let's start with the first. We're going to go through the action items and get updates on these.

The first one is for Murray McKercher, who is on the call. Before he talks, I just want to let everyone know that I'm already... If anyone is willing to chair the public relations group, to get that responsibility going forward, and just – Tijani, he wants to help and that is a great place to help. So, Murray, you have, I have added an action item here, which is zero 25, and this action item will be just for you to obtain the

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

organization committee about the PR efforts that are necessary for the ATLAS II.

I don't know if you were on the list, but there is – part in the Wiki, and I sent it through the mail, that the public relations messages are already set by consensus by this group, they're about four, or five, or six maybe. And it is of my opinion, that maybe you want to start working on these messages like communications staff or the PR staff in ICANN, and the At Large staff.

To see if those are too many or too little, or if we can have a combination of them, and we'll use them maybe to one, that is a PR message for, you know – how do you call it? Inside, on the PR side for outreach and in reach. So Murray, you have the floor, and what I want you to do is to tell us what are your expectations on this group, if any. Thank you Murray.

MURRAY MCKERCHER:

Thank you. Yes, I'm sorry I'm coming into the call slightly behind schedule, so I haven't seen everything. But generally my goals and objectives are to align messaging from the At Large group along with the ICANN staff. I suspect we'll agree on messaging going forward. And my experience from the Toronto meeting, engaging with the folks from ICANN PR is that we have a great group.

So I don't foresee any issues, I'm just happy to oversee the process. And I will be certainly adding to the Wiki. It's a new experience for me, editing the Wiki, but staff have been terrific. So I simply look forward to moving that forward. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you Murray. I also want to add Murray, that within the public relations subgroup, there is this other group that we call it the communications group, are basically it's there... This group is chaired by Natalia, Carlos Aguirre, and [?], and they basically focus on getting and creating and maintaining this newsletter that we will start sending out after the Singapore meeting.

And during the ATLAS II meeting, and also they will be working with – putting together [?] with staff some kind of webpage for the other two events. So there is something this, is that – should working in collaboration with that group, so we have all the PR messages and all the things that we're sending out, they all have more or less a match, I just wanted to say that. Thank you so much.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Eduardo? It's Olivier, please.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Go ahead.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Eduardo. Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. Sorry, I'm not in the Adobe Connect room yet, but I will be shortly. I just wanted to ask if there is a danger of a duplication of tasks between the communications group and the PR group?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Well, the way I see it, maybe it's something we can discuss here is, I see more the PR group that Murray is chairing, has the message that want to send on communication that we would want to send out to the general public or the community, and the communications group, I think they're mostly messages communicated with all the ALSs specifically.

I mean, this is something, the information that they're going to put out in the web page can be seen by anybody. But the way I see it is mostly in wards than outwards.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you. It's just because I don't see... It's Olivier speaking again. I do see some coming parts that both groups are doing, so it would probably be good to coordinate of course, just to make sure they don't walk on each other's shoes.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes. I think that's a good idea, and that's what I tried to say at the beginning, that both groups were very [?] in collaboration to ensure that is in sync, and as you say, that they should not be doing overlapping work. And I think that's most important, you know they don't do duplicate work.

MURRAY MCKERCHER: It's Murray McKercher speaking, if I can have the floor for a moment.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Sure.

MURRAY MCKERCHER: So, yes, Olivier, I think we don't want to duplicate efforts, so I'll make every effort to make sure that we're all on the same page. And if you have any specific concerns or comments, if you could send us an email, I'd appreciate it.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. So, Murray you have Carlos Aguirre on the other co-chair of the other group, so, you know, that's what communication emails are for. They are tools. So thank you so much. Olivier, do you have any other comments? Okay. So let's move to the other action items which are for Carlos Reyes and has action item 21, which is one that I just add yesterday.

And basically, we had a milestone for February 14, where we were supposed to send ICANN constituency travel the database with all of the people that are traveling. So, this is just to make sure that that happened. Carlos, if you are there, please let us know. You have the floor.

CARLOS REYES: Thanks Eduardo. This is Carlos Reyes. The database, we're just waiting to confirm a handful of changes. As you all saw, Olivier sent a note regarding some situations that have risen reverting the ALAC voting

delegates, the Nom Com. So some of those ALSs still need to determine who will be representing them in London. But other than that, we have distributed the list to every RALO secretariat, and worked out some changes that would have had to occur with some ALSs determining, or designating other representatives.

So it's largely done. Heidi has been in touch with constituency travel, I have as well, and they would much rather we get everything finalized rather than rushing through it. We had actually built in some time with the February 14th deadline, so I think we're very much on track. And some representatives won't be designated until Singapore, it's only a few though. But once we have all of those representatives determine that will not be assigned in Singapore, we'll go ahead and send that to constituency travel and we can send a smaller list.

As I said, only a handful after Singapore.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

So Carlos. This is Eduardo Diaz. So, what is the new date or deadline for you to send, I guess, the London list? Do you have a specific date?

CARLOS REYES:

I don't think it's a specific date, definitely by tomorrow. At this point we've been working with some of these ALSs for a week to get the new names, and we don't want to delay the process any further so definitely by tomorrow they'll receive that updated list with the various notes about some names still to be confirmed.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. So just to clarify... This is Eduardo Diaz. Just to clarify, you'll still assign this whatever you have with the notes to constituency travel by tomorrow. Is that correct?

CARLOS REYES: That's correct. Just to give you a sense of what we're looking at, it's really only six ALSs that need to confirm with us.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. So that's, I don't think that's a very huge number of names. So now that I have you here again, I have the action item 23, Carlos, which says it's the survey that you help with the information of the ATLAS II five thematic breakout sessions. Can you tell us how that is going? I think this survey is going to... To just explain.

The survey was a survey as [?] and we sent to determine from all the ALSs which – the priority of the five thematic sessions, what are the priorities? What do they want to see first? What are they more interested on first, second, and third, and so forth. And the reason we send the survey is so that we can take the information and try to balance the people that I want to fit into this five groups.

And [?]... The challenge here is that we only have three – we have five rooms are fine for the summit, but three of the rooms, they will fit a maximum of 30 people. And we just need to balance the number of people to go all of them, and not all of them will have interpretation. So that's why we recently sent the surveys.

So Carlos can you tell us, how is that going? Thank you.

CARLOS REYES: Thanks Eduardo. This is Carlos. As of right now, and I'm looking at the results right now, there are 55 respondents. I'm looking at the cross tabs, I'd rather not talk about the results right now since it's really only about a third of the respondents, and the results can change since we're still waiting on two-thirds of the ALSs to respond.

But as I said, 55 respondents and the results are pretty mixed right now. There are two groups that are pretty much tied in terms of interest, and then three thematic groups that are more or less ranked in preferential order thereafter.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Thank you for the information, Carlos. So let's move on to the next – well, before that, Olivier, please, you have the floor.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Eduardo. It's Olivier speaking. Can you hear me?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. I'm sorry, I'm in large public meetings so I can't speak too loud. Just with regards to the list of travelers, their... I've been approached by [?] who is directly the ALS representative for Finland, and as you know,

he's also on the Nom Com, he asked me whether one can wait until the 17th of March for ISOC Finland to provide the details of the travelers.

Now I understand, from what I just heard now, that in fact, Carlos is hoping to close the lists off by the end of this week. Is this correct?

CARLOS REYES:

Hi Olivier, this is Carlos. Yes, but we've also – Heidi and I have been in touch with [Joette] from the Nom Com and the various ALS representatives are also engaged with the Nom Com, so there is some space there that allows us to provide those names once all of that is sorted out.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Okay. Thank you. And I'll leave it over in your capable hands for this. On the other side, I've also had several ALS representatives who are here in Geneva at the moment, who have inquired regarding visas, and there certainly is much concern about those. I understand that, of course, the earlier we close that list and start sending it out, we will be able then to go into the process of asking or providing details to the ALS representatives on how to get invitation letters, etc., etc.

I just wonder if we shouldn't just start sending the list over to constituency travel as soon as possible, whilst keeping off those, I don't know, 10 or 15 people out of the 160 and sort of leave that aside and just do that as a two-part process rather than doing it all in one go and waiting for everything to be ready to send in one batch.

CARLOS REYES: Hi Olivier, this is Carlos. Yes, I completely agree. So tomorrow, we'll send the list that wasn't – that doesn't include the six that are remaining.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: That's great. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Eduardo, this is Heidi. May I just make a comment? Hello?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: We might have lost Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I'm sorry, no, no. I'm here.

HEIDI ULLRICH: There he is. Okay. So just a really quick comment on the invitation letters. There has been a request by Olivier to have the, currently only in English invitation letter request form translated, and I just have heard that yes, it will be translated into English and French, if not all the UN languages. So I don't have an estimated time of when that translation, most translations will be ready, but just wanted to let you know that it will be translated.

And then the second point is given the time, it might be a few weeks before those letters are received in the various languages should be

sent out, the link to the English invitation letter. So people who do work in English can start filling that out.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes. If a question if you send out – yes.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. We'll go ahead and do that. And then...

EDUARDO DIAZ: Go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. So we can go ahead and do that today then, to the ATLAS II participants list. And when the translated versions come in we'll send those out too. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Does anyone have a comment about this? If not, Heidi please do send it now so that people can have it. A chance to start doing it now and when we get it translated then we send those. You have an idea of when those translations are going to be done?

HEIDI ULLRICH: It's only a one page document, so I would expect it would be a week or so.

EDUARDO DIAZ: So the next action item [?]. Hello? Somebody has to mute their phone. So the next one, Heidi, which is the action item 211, I'm going to move that action item and maybe close it and just leave the public relations group to move forward, you know, and start conversations with the communications back to your staff. Is that okay with you Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes.

EDUARDO DIAZ: [?] our action item [?]. Okay. Thank you so much. So, the next one will be Glenn McKnight with the Faire of, who do you call the name of this celebration now? I forget.

HEIDI ULLRICH: The Faire. This is Heidi. It's called a Faire.

EDUARDO DIAZ: A faire. Okay. Glenn, I don't see Glenn on this call, so I guess we will get an update from – sometime in the future. So let's move forward to action item zero 16, which is the coordination of the communications group. There are three co-chairs there, Carlos, and Natalia, and [?]. So Carlos, Natalia, [?], whoever wants to be the spokesperson for the group, can you update us on your work? Thank you. Carlos or Natalia?

NATALIA ENCISO: Hello, this is Natalia. Can you hear me?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes we can here Natalia. Thank you.

NATALIA ENCISO: Thank you. Our last update [?]... tomorrow, with both working groups united as communication working group. And we work on the agenda about what are our going to be our tasks of our content design and about the souvenirs and everything that you said in last meeting, about t-shirts and whatever we can [?].

And I was wondering if we'll ask those souvenirs from the sponsors or we can ask whoever we want?

EDUARDO DIAZ: This is Eduardo. Natalia, is this something – or Heidi. Discuss with Heidi or Olivier, this souvenirs, like t-shirts or whatever you're going to give out, is it something that ICANN provides or do we need to get a sponsor for this? How does that work? I'm not sure.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Olivier, I'm not sure if you want to go first?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, thank you Heidi. It's Olivier speaking. I don't really. At the moment, I haven't thought of this. I guess this is something we need to discuss. Obviously there should be some kind of emotional material or something. I'm not even sure of the costs, and I guess I should ask Heidi, thinking if such a thing happens, making it locally or would that be shipped in?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. It all depends. Normally, in certain areas, they have it produced there, but otherwise they ship it in. In terms of when ICANN can cover it, there is some funding for some sorts of materials from perhaps a lunch or etc. So it depends on how much fund ship money comes in, if that can cover all of the social occasions, then there will be funding available for these promotional items.

I mean, some of the things that we've been discussing internally would be pop up banners, for example. Currently, I believe, we only have one for APRALO. That's one of those banners that you put up next to a lectern or something. Perhaps those for the RALOs and one for At Large, those type of things. But I would think that if you could just develop a wish list, a reasonable wish list, and we can see where we go.

There might be a need to prioritize on that list. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: This is Eduardo. Heidi, I have a question. It just occurred to me. When you register for an ICANN meeting, when you go there, they give you a badge. But there is also sometimes they do some kind of ribbon

underneath or something that says, “Newcomer,” or “Nom Com,” or something like that. Is it something that we can coordinate so we can have like that for the summit participants who have that kind of banner...?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. Yeah. This is Heidi. Yes, absolutely. Thank you for reminding me. That’s something that staff has been mentioning as well, that shows in the RALO colors, which is the logo of At Large, or something that clearly separates people – distinguishes them as people participating in the summit. That’s an excellent idea.

EDUARDO DIAZ: So, can you [?] amount, and let us know that’s, I mean, I don’t know how it’s happening.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, we can check into the cost, ICANN can cover that, yes. But then we can [?] communications group, ask the what kind of design they would like, etc. But yes, either a lanyard, a special lanyard or a special sticker at the bottom of the name tag, yes.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Carlos, you have your hand up, please, you have the floor.

CARLOS AGUIRRE: Thank you Eduardo. Can you hear me?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes we can.

CARLOS AGUIRRE: Thank you. Carlos Aguirre for the record. I want to add something to [?] official report. We are almost 20 volunteers in our working group. We have two tasks, [work bank?] and newsletter for ATLAS II. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to add to our [?] t-shirts, souvenirs, and the [?] for you Eduardo. Because I think it's better, this task we take by showcase ATLAS II working group.

In every showcase in different regions, we are in charge of this task, this exactly, the showcase working group. I don't know if you think the same with me.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Carlos, thank you for your comment. The idea, the suggestion that you did was mostly because you have so many creative people in your group, but it can be, you know, it can be the public relations group that Murray is heading now, with the PR people and communications, and you know, they can decide that. Or we can all decide it...

I'm not sure. Does anybody have any comments about this? Because if we're going to have somebody responsible for this, I see Heidi suggested the PR group, so it can be the PR group. Does anybody have... No one has a comment about this? Any comments?

CARLOS AGUIRRE:

Okay. If there are no comments, no problem. We take it. It's a task that I think, I continue to think, better place for showcase working group, but no problem, no problem. We are working on that. On the other thing, Natalia is [?], we have tomorrow, our first call, so if you are [?] are invited, I invite you to participate.

We have, as I said, 20 volunteers, but not by [?] specific RALOs. So if you know somebody of this region who wants to participate in our working group, is welcome. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you Carlos. Let's take the thing about the promotional items and things like that, and let's keep it in the background. And we'll get together, you can work it with the [ray] group and, if you think it's too much to handle in your group, then we'll look for other volunteers to help. So, the other thing is I want to mention that, and this is something that I was going to mention and I have seen groups, is like for example, Carlos says that he has 20 people in his group.

And, you know, I have talk to Natalia and Carlos off line, and you know, I think 20 people, eager to work, but when I see the work being done, only a couple of people do it. So, I suggest, and this goes for everyone, that, you know, if you have 20 people or 15 or what have you, to try to divide the work somehow that everybody will feel that he is providing something to the ATLAS II.

Because having a group of 20 people or what number of people are out there, you know, doesn't make sense if only a couple are working. So, I mean, on the other hand, you know, some of these people will

participate in calls and will provide ideas and comments on things that are happening. But I think we should do something more than that, and get them engaged somehow, which is a very difficult thing but, you know, try to do that so everybody feels that they are providing to the whole event somehow.

MURRAY MCKERCHER: Eduardo, it's Murray. Can I have a moment?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes please.

MURRAY MCKERCHER: So I'm happy to join Carlos at tomorrow's meeting. I'll be in transit so if somebody can send me an appropriate link. I can help put some of those things together. I know the groups that was in charge for the showcase for the Toronto ICANN meeting [?]?... happy to participate and help coordinate those... Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you Murray. And the other thing, before going forward, I just want to add is – it's not related to a specific action item, it's that I'm trying – I'm going to put together some kind of feature, so everyone knows how we are getting this event together because you know, for some people that are not familiar with the – where we are doing this thing, you hear about all of these working groups and you don't know really what they are doing, how they are related to each other.

So I'm going to put something out there that will help at least have a picture of all of these groups and how they are called, because it can get confusing. That's my impression. So, thank you Carlos, Natalia, and [?] I don't think [?] is here, but thank you for your help. The next...

NATALIA ENCISO:

Eduardo, can I add a comment? I wanted to add that between the 20 people that are participating in our working group, there are some members that are not At Large members, that they are interested in At Large, but they don't know how to [?]... So we start [?] and Eduardo, and we decided to accept their volunteer for working with us.

So I think it's important outreach to.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

This is Eduardo. Definitely Natalia. I mean, this is a very good way of getting people that are not involved with ICANN to get engaged in our work, and you know, the At Large. So I'm really happy, and I'm happy that you are bringing all of these people to help with [?]. So, thank you Natalia. I hope we can do this with other groups too.

In any case, let's move forward. Fatima Cambroner is not [?] will have an update for her mentoring group. Wolf Ludwig and Cheryl Langdon-Orr are also, they excused themselves. One is traveling and the other one is in another meeting. Everybody is in meeting today. Tijani Ben Jemaa, we couldn't get him on the line, so we don't really have an update from his group other than, we're in the process...

Other than that we have friends survey, to get a survey of people's priorities on what thematic sessions they want to attend to in some kind of priority. And like I said before, it is basically going to use to balance the groups within this five groups that have been assigned to the ATLAS II group.

So the next one is Olivier for the sponsorship, if you can update on the things that you have been doing there. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much Eduardo. It's Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. So, on the sponsorship side, I have now sent sponsorship proposals as I drafted over to one, two, three, four, five different organizations. I've sent it over to Microsoft. I've sent it over to Facebook, to Public Internet Registry (PIR), by Roberto [Guitano?], and over to Afilias, and to Google as well.

Whilst here in Geneva, I've also had a quick chat with a person from Walt Disney, if you can believe it, and they said, "Send us a proposal and we'll consider it as well." So, that's one more. And I'm also discussed the idea over with [?], which is a large – it's the lead dot UK registry in the UK. So these are the current ones that we're following up with.

The proposals were sent only a couple of days ago, so everyone is digesting it at the moment. The other thing that I'm trying to do, I have spoken to Marcus [?] from ISOC and trying to see if ISOC could perhaps fund something outside the sponsorship, something as simple as a welcome cocktail or something on one of the evenings.

So that's the current level at the moment.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you so much. Anybody with any comments on this? Okay, thank you so much Olivier. The next item is for Cheryl Langdon-Orr. I talked to her, I mean virtually, and I just wanted to add – I added an action item here for her to [?] on the RIR. This is a group that will take all of the ATLAS from the summit, and will try to put some kind of report on the return of investments, that's in quotes, in the final report.

She suggests to move Wolf and her – they're preparing the survey that will be given to all of the ALSs at the end of the summit so that we can get feedback for whatever we need feedback for, and to know if the summit was successful, ideas for future ones, etc. I don't know. I suggested to move that action item under ROI, and to do that, unfortunately, I have here what she said.

It says, and really what I was looking for when I opened this action item is, what... She is saying is the deadline for this report. So I'm going to put into the chat what she wrote in the mail. And basically, she's saying, and if it's something evidently that we can get more fine-tuned, the closer we get to the ATLAS II, but she says that will take their groups about six to eight weeks for an initial report.

I think with analytics, who, when, where, etc. And maybe it will take from six to 12 months after that to have a final report on the whole event. So these are the initial dates that she brings up for her group. Like I said, this will be fine-tuned the closer [?]... I'm sorry there is [?]...

Somebody has to mute. Hello? Okay. Thank you. Any comments please on this? No comments? Okay, so the last two action items here are basically for the organization committee, and again, this has to do with establishing strategic goals which [?] for in reach, and somehow we have to have more strategic goals for outreach. What are our goals for the summit if we look the other way? No inside, outside.

And also, you know, what are the likely impacts and call to action of the summit. And the reason this was asked was because somehow this will have to be communicated through the PR method that we're going to send. So any, I haven't done anything with this yet and I will probably work with Murray in getting something going on these two action items.

Carlos, okay. So any comments about this? Okay. So I think we're almost at the end of our meeting. Does anybody have any new business that they want to talk about, or add to the conversation today? If not, I suggest that we have our next meeting in two weeks, that will put us in March 6th, same time, same day. So, if I don't hear any abstentions to that, or anybody abstain to that, this meeting has been adjourned.

I would like to thank everybody for taking the time to participate today. Thank you so much.

[Various Goodbyes]

[END OF TRANSCRIPT]