

---

NATHALIE PEREGRINE: Good morning, good afternoon and good evening everybody. This is the At-Large Metrics Working Group call on 7<sup>th</sup> of November 2013. On the call today we have Maureen Hillyard, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Oksana Prykhodko, Alan Greenberg, Darlene Thompson and Dev Anand Teelucksingh.

We have received no apologies for today's call. From Staff we have Silvia Vivanco and myself, Nathalie Peregrine. I'd like to remind you all to please state your names before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much and over to you, Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you very much. I'll try and join via the... It's not a matter of now I can dial in – it's not a matter of a computer that works, it's a matter of [00:00:56] for very good reasons to use either Linux operating or android systems, and the Adobe Connect room has continually declined. It started with a lack of Flash support and now it's just a lack of support in general with every one of their upgrades.

So I'll continue to bitch and moan and believe me I'm not going to be the only one. It's not the computers; it's poor service level agreements from the service provider. Okay. Let's get straight into it. If I could just see if we've got our... If Silvia could take us through the open Items, because I also can't open more than one screen at a time I'm afraid.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

SILVIA VIVANCO: I'm happy to read the Action Items. Okay, so we have some pending Action Items. Cheryl to distribute the time, one hour among all Working Group Members, to present during the Buenos Aires meeting.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: That's been done and I draw your attention to the link for... If either Nathalie or Silvia could put the link into the BA meeting agenda I've distributed?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay. Nathalie can place the link. Then Silvia Vivanco to schedule five minutes to Maureen during the next RALO Secretariats' meeting. This is completed. The meeting will be tomorrow at 19:00 UTC. The next one is for Silvia to schedule Skype calls with each of the RALO Leaders with Maureen, so that Maureen can have a conversation with each of the RALO Leaders, regarding the objectives of this Working Group.

This is still to be done. We haven't had the chance to have Skype calls; first because of the IGF meeting and we need to do this. It's still work to be done. Maureen, I've sent you my Skype request, so would be so kind to answer it. Then we can schedule the calls. Now that we're going to be in person in Buenos Aires we can actually meet many, many people and I think we'll have the opportunity to talk about this issue.

Next one is Staff to prepare Wiki pages for future meetings in advance. I have already instructed Nathalie and Julia, who are in charge of creating

meeting pages. The next one is Dev to investigate mobile/tablet applications that could be used to track attendance. Dev, do you have any update?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Just to say that I haven't quite finished that Action Item. There are quite a few mobile attendance apps but I haven't really had the chance to dive deep into all of them to come up with the best one. I'll work on it over the weekend and I'll get some more progress on this.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay. The next one is Staff to do a roll call during the Buenos Aires meeting and count on those present in the room and then do a headcount 30 minutes into the session. I have asked Julia, who will be there in person to help us during Buenos Aires, to do this – to do a second roll call about 30 minutes into it.

Then, Staff to send a list of mobile devices or operating systems that can be used at ICANN meetings. Regarding this Item... Nathalie, perhaps you have an idea? I asked you to check in to this? Maybe you already have an answer to this one?

NATHALIE PEREGRINE: Yes. We asked IT and they said that if we play it safe about wireless connecting apps, connecting iPads, Samsungs, etc., and recent versions, they should all be good. The only advice they said before testing is just

to try testing and opening Adobe Connect with a link saved on a mobile phone. Try testing Adobe Connect on the tablet. That's the only thing they said. Otherwise they haven't had enough complaints about one specific brand or operating system to be able to give sound advice about this.

SILVIA VIVANCO:                      Okay.

ALAN GREENBERG:                    Can I break in?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:            Certainly Alan. It's the end of the AIs anyway.

ALAN GREENBERG:                    Well, I have a comment on one of the AI answers. The attendance was assigned to a specific person in Buenos Aires. We have a long history of people being randomly pulled away from ALAC for other tasks because of illness, absence or whatever. I hope that the assignment is such that it will be done even if that person must be in the GAC for one day, or something like that, which has happened before. Just a comment.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thanks Alan. I can only assume that Silvia and the rest of the Team will make sure that that's attended to, but Julia is obviously going to be doing the lion's share, but if she gets stolen they'll have to compensate in some way, shape or form.

ALAN GREENBERG: I was just commenting that that needs to be done.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Sure. Thanks Alan. It's a good point and one well made because we've certainly had that circumstance before. Okay. Is there any other discussion or points on any of the AIs? Not seeing any... I do find it amusing going to the last point that Silvia was outlining – that they haven't had sufficient complaints about any one of the operating systems.

Perhaps I could spend a small amount of time with the IT support staff in Buenos Aires. I'll hand them over any number of pieces of equipment that I carry and see if they can get the bleeding things to work. Considering that they used to work, and we've had a general degradation.

I certainly know of more and more people on every single one of the Working Group and webinar calls I attend who are complaining now, and it's a great shame particularly with the Adobe Connect, as Olivier has mentioned, because we after all run our own AC service and I suspect

pay handsomely for the privilege of now less than satisfactory services level agreements being maintained.

I also would like to suggest that I have heard very good things about the Adobe Connect people working on accessibility in other instances, and it would be a shame for us to be forced to give up on the Adobe Connect if indeed it's going to become a more usable piece of equipment in the not-too-distant future. So I will moan and groan and keep making a nuisance of myself on this topic. It's only because I'd like this thing to work at least the way it used to.

Moving on now to the updates from the Work Teams. Maureen, I hope you'll forgive me but I took the liberty of actually including from one of your recent emails a small section of update, that will go to you first, followed by Dev. I note that Tijani is not on today's call so we might just take his update based from the first draft of the metrics expectations and things that are shown in the link on the Agenda.

First of all though, over to you Maureen.

MAUREEN HILLYARD:

Thank you Cheryl. I guess I have actually been putting quite a bit online, mainly because I didn't get an opportunity to speak with the RALO Secretaries last week. I wasn't getting any feedback as well, so I thought it was perhaps a good idea to put something out that might incite a bit of comment. And it has. I didn't mention in my little chat note the feedback that I've had from Tijani, Fatimata and [Boudain? 00:10:42].

But Holly also gave... I really did appreciate the comment because I think this is the sort of thing that we're going to need to start our own discussions. So I really did appreciate that and I'm looking forward to the meeting on Friday and seeing if I can get some comment from the Secretariats first off and try and make contact with the RALO Leaders in Buenos Aires as well. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you Maureen. I see Darlene. Go ahead Darlene.

MAUREEN HILLYARD: This is Maureen again. Can I just make a comment and say that these comments from the first session of the metrics notes that were online have been really helpful. She has provided a lot of information in her comments, which I've certainly taken on board and I think I've included some of that stuff in my presentations as well.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thanks for raising that Maureen. Unfortunately... Well, I hope Darlene is still listening through the Adobe Connect room because she seemed to have dropped at the time when we were talking about her contribution. But that certainly should be noted. Tijani has just joined the call so I'll let him know that he is queued after Dev, who's now going to give his update, which I suspect will be a relatively brief one. Over to you Dev.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: May I speak?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: After Dev, yes. Not just yet. Let's take it in order.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks. I've probably not much to actually show. I've been doing more testing regarding whether we could take information from the Wiki pages and make a consolidated report. I'm beginning to think it's a little too tricky with Confluence; the way these types of macros work. So I'm beginning to think more and more that the best way to approach this, for things like attendance records, is that it's entered into one location.

It's entered in one location and one Wiki page so there's only one action being done. So instead of having attendance records for each of the separate meetings, it's compiled on one page instead. I could show you the page again for where I tried to do this report, but I'm not sure if I'm able to do so at this point.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay. Thanks for this Dev. I'd like to ask you whether or not you'd be able to do a little bit of interactive work during the small... I think I've given you about ten or twelve minutes during our 8:00 am to 9:00 am meeting in Buenos Aires? And particularly see whether you can get interaction not only with our community members and Working Group but also Staff, because it's something that is going to be perhaps an



impost on Staff, unless it's particularly easy to do an update. Would that be of value?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I didn't quite catch that last part. I'm going to try and work on this over the weekend – it's going to be a very busy weekend – to experiment and see how we can automate this thing as much as possible. But like I said, for the minute, in testing, it's just showing that even if it could be done it would be very cumbersome to do because it requires so many different interactions.

I'll try and do some more testing over the weekend and see how I can improve it. Of course I'll have something to show at the Sunday meeting.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thanks for that Dev. I was just keen to make sure that you also interact with Staff, who may be the people who are going to have to do these things, and I really want to make sure that it's not an impost, a difficult or a cumbersome thing as well. Terrific. I see Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: I'll make my typical Luddite comment and support Dev. Building things that are complex and cumbersome virtually guarantees that they fail along the way – just look at the problems we're having with Adobe Connect. And that means we end up reverting to nothing, so I think

something that reduces the work but is almost guaranteed to keep on working is pretty much the way to go. Relying on high technology for this type of thing is almost certainly to say it won't work at some point in our lives.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay. Thanks for that Alan. A point well made indeed. Tijani, over to you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you Cheryl. First of all I'd like to tell you that my screen says that this is a private meeting. "Your request to enter has been sent to the host. Please wait." And I have been waiting for half an hour now. [laughter] This is my point. Now I come to the metrics. I have read the proposal of Maureen's and it is good. I think we are almost doing the same thing.

I have updated my proposal that I made years ago about the ALSes and I updated it to be relevant for the ALAC with all the new elements, etc. I really think that we all need to read all the proposals and to come up with a compilation, which can be the clearest and the most doable.

So I propose that Maureen and me, and perhaps others if there are other proposals, work together and try to come up with one single document, which can be discussed in Buenos Aires for our next meeting. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thanks for that Tijani. Do you really believe you'll have time to do that before Buenos Aires, or is it something that you might want to do as a result of the Sunday meeting? Perhaps gather yourselves in an ad hoc way over a breakfast or a lunch or some time? I'm just very aware of the very packed schedule between now and BA.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: That's more reasonable, Cheryl. You're right, because the load now is very heavy. Yes.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yes. I'd rather not burn you all out, so let's see that as part of the outcomes of our meeting in BA that what you proposed here is a definitive AI and that you three, with anyone else who's able and motivated do, may gather in an ad hoc way during the Buenos Aires meeting to further what you proposed as a unified document. Then we can take that further.

Remembering also that one of the intentions of our Buenos Aires meeting – assuming that we have others than ourselves in the room – is to do a little bit of outreach and get more of our community directly involved in our activities.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay. Obviously there is an issue... Oksana and Maureen have been attempting to do a back-channel conversation and for whatever reason it says that Maureen's private chat has been disabled by the host. She's also lost Adobe Connect and all of the earlier chat record. Great(!) I can only apologise for that. I know that even though I'm the host I haven't done anything to cause that.

It can sometimes be a bandwidth issue. That's been an issue some of us have had with Adobe Connect before, where if the bandwidth isn't particularly full green you can lose those chats and things. That's yet another thing we might be able to raise up. Nathalie, I note you're saying that the Staff do post the Adobe Connect normal chat, but I think Maureen's point is she was also having a back-channel conversation with Oksana and that will be lost.

But I do know that bandwidth is sometimes an issue resulting in that problem. Okay. Can I ask if anyone on this call has any questions or comments they'd like to make to any of the Work Team Leaders on the points they've given on today's meeting? I'm not seeing or hearing any comments.

Let's move onto Item #4 of our Agenda, which is the continuation of fairly high-level and more general conversation of these next levels of metrics. And to this end I'd like to – as some of the Leads have done –

thank those of you and the general community of At-Large who've given us some feedback that's been collected on the Wiki pages. I do recognize – as I think Maureen raised – that some of you have been getting feedback that isn't necessarily captured on the Wiki pages.

If that is the case, perhaps the Leads would like to do a synopsis from time to time of other comments that might have come to them via Skype or other channels, just so we do have some tracking of input. It also shows for the record some of the wider community input that we can have. If we could, I'd like to ask Olivier, assuming he's got his head totally into our call now, to give us some comments on how he's feeling as the Chair for ALAC for yet another 12 months.

And also on how we're heading with these general expectations and measurable. Not so much down into the weeds, if you don't mind Olivier, in terms of what Dev is grappling with for example, but the material that both Tijani and Maureen have been producing. Are we all on the right track? Do we need to readjust? Give us some feedback please boss. And he's been dropped off the phone line.

He's saying that we are on the right track. I think that the gremlins and the gods and goddesses of communication are certainly being challenging tonight with the technology. Perhaps when Olivier is back on an audio channel we'll hear him say a little bit more than he's able to in the chat. While we're waiting for some hopefully positive feedback from the ALAC Chair, I'd like to come back to what you were saying, Tijani, about working on a unified document.

This is just what I thought I was hearing from what you were saying: that perhaps the aspirational material is now put as a single source document between some of what Maureen has done and some of what you've already done and that Maureen then focuses more on outreach and engagement with the At-Large structure? Or do you still want to have it as three Work Teams? Tijani, over to you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Yes, I don't mind. I think at the beginning we shared the tasks like this. She is in charge of outreach and I am in charge of the draft that I have to give you on the metrics. So since she tried to give some input – very exhaustive but we need to discuss it together – I think the best way is that I will discuss with her in Buenos Aires and then she can focus more on the outreach and I can continue on my track.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Okay, thank you for that. Because I'd like to try and plan for a post-Buenos Aires world as well I'm wondering whether or not, Maureen, you and Tijani may wish to have some interactions if not with the Secretariats again – because I recognize you're going to be having a call with them in the next day – but do you think it would be time to try and get onto the various RALO meetings?

That would be to engage with the RALO Leadership and ALSes and individual members who obviously have a vested interest in what we're doing. Do you think we might be able to tick a month that we could plan

for that? And if so, would you be suggesting early in the 2014 calendar year, or do we try for December?

I'm a little concerned if you think December is the go, in as much as you may only get some of the RALOs, not all of them because for example those that meet at the end of the month may be caught up in some traditional celebrations and seasonal times. Maureen, I might ask you and then go to Tijani on a response from that.

MAUREEN HILLYARD:

Thank you Cheryl. Just a comment with Tijani – definitely it would be really good if we got together when we're in Buenos Aires and have a chat about what we could be doing. And I must admit, for example the ALAC... I had actually mentioned to the RALO Secretariats that we were going to be working on the ALAC and the ALSes and the RALOs as separate issues, but when...

I didn't get any feedback and then I decided that perhaps we needed to get something a little bit meaty and get them to comment. And I had sent in the ALS version, which I thought they might... I'm getting an echo. No, I agree that it would be ideal to be able to meet with the RALOs, and

I was wondering if I may be able to sneak some time in at the RALO meetings in Buenos Aires? Just to have a little two minutes to at least get them talking and for me to be able to meet people so that they know who they're talking to about this particular topic? I can appreciate that

it's not an easy one to be asking about, because people aren't too sure about how we do measure another volunteer's performance.

So I think that those sorts of comments that we were asking Olivier about, trying to find out how he feels... We could be doing that across the RALO. But I think getting our team together at the meeting on Sunday, for example, we can discuss on some of these issues and see how best to put these things together. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you Maureen. Tijani, a response from you please?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I think that regarding the outreach, Maureen has a good plan and I don't think there is anything else to do. Firstly, we don't have time, and secondly Buenos Aires is a good opportunity for us to interact with the RALOs and ALSes present in the meeting. So I agree with Maureen.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay. Thank you Tijani. Can I ask then that towards the close of the week of Buenos Aires, if you two and Dev would be so kind as to make sure that in the wrap-up meeting – because it's quite probable that I won't be able to attend that unfortunately – that you measure the feelings from the ALAC and the regional leadership as to whether or not they feel they need to have a RALO by RALO interaction.



That would be sometime in the early 2014 calendar year; or whether a cross-regional, single purpose call or webinar, which would effectively be one of our Working Group meetings, might be appropriate. Or not. I just don't want to get to Singapore and then have to [00:33:00], that's all. So if you guys would be so kind as to take that on, I think that would be extremely useful.

Of course, that depends on the indulgence of the Chair of the ALAC, and since Olivier seems to be back online I'm going to hand over to him to give feedback from the boss. Over to you Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I only caught a glimpse of the discussions that have taken place today on the call. Altogether I think that we should try and roll out a first set of proposed metrics as soon as possible. The reason for this being that – I think Cheryl did allude to this – we have seen varying levels of involvement; both on the ALAC and also in the regions with regional leadership sometimes doing well and sometimes not doing well, depending on what needed to be done.

And I really think that we've reached the point now where we cannot be in a... People are not able to portend to a position of responsibility in this organization without actually doing the work. So the metrics that you're alluding to and the proposal that you're alluding to, I think, go in the right direction of where we want to go.

But certainly putting together a timetable and working backwards from when do we start actually taking action on these is important. I note that the rewrite of the Rules of Procedure has been completed, so we need to basically move on this as soon as we can. And effectively I think the first metrics that will be implemented are the standard attendance metrics for the ALAC. And that's information that Staff is already collecting.

In addition to this there will be attendance metrics during our meeting in Buenos Aires. That's already a good first test as well, and the attendance metrics will cover both regional leaders and the ALAC as well. I'm not saying that there's got to be any action on this. I'm sure when people are missing a meeting they're probably somewhere else, but it will probably be a good opportunity to track what people are doing going elsewhere in the other meeting.

We've had very poor response on the meeting reports. Just knowing that we have someone there in those other meetings is something that's comforting. That's really my point of view at the moment. But I'd like us to get going ASAP, and we definitely need to have a full set of metrics not only ready but in operation by Singapore. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Absolutely. Thank you Olivier. On that Olivier, after Tijani speaks I was wondering if you may come back and give some vent on the plan remedial action/advisory that is in the current version of the proposed

---

metrics that is on the page next to Tijani's name on the Agenda? Tijani, over to you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you Cheryl. Olivier, we already have a set of metrics already prepared and everybody who contributed agrees more or less on those metrics. But what are not ready are the parameters for remediation. This is exactly what Cheryl just said. This is the sensitive point and the thing we have to focus on as soon as possible, because having metrics without remediation is useless. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you Tijani. Olivier, can I ask – I know I'm putting you on the spot – for just a provisional or an initial reaction to the type of remedial action that's currently [00:37:58] our drafting, so that your Working Group can have an idea as to whether or not we are in the right direction or not?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Cheryl. I gather you're pointing me to the At-Large Metrics Sub-Committee Wiki page, where I note a list of the Members of the Committee and then "Metrics, expectations and requirements for ALAC Members". Is that correct?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I believe so. I can't open that up on my mobile device unfortunately.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Well, Tijani just pointed me to this. Well, remediation it says on there is: “less active Members are contacted by the ALAC Chair, notifying them based on the statistics that they’re not seen to be involved or participating in the ALAC and ICANN-related activities.” That’s correct, yes? That’s the paragraph you wish me to...?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Comment on, yes.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Effectively this is what’s going on now already. When I see – and unfortunately I don’t have statistics to work on –, but when I note privately that some people have not been attending, and trust me it’s quite a clear-cut situation. It’s not just someone missing one or two meetings; it’s people missing months and months of involvement. Not even knowing if those people are still around or not.

This effectively is what I’ve been doing. I contact them and find out what exactly is going on. The responses I’ve been provided with have sometimes been a satisfying response; as in, “I’ve been involved in an accident,” or, “my father has passed away,” or something of importance that has basically kept them away for a short while, but their response has been, “I will be back next month,” or, “I’ll be active again.”

That's effectively what's been happening, and this has all been happening behind the scenes. Now, further than this I've not been in a situation where I was then able to take further action or I needed to take further action, because we don't actually have any formal way at the moment. So it's very difficult for me if that person comes back to me again, on an informal basis, and says, "well, I'm going to be there next month," and then I don't hear from them. And then the month after...

It's very difficult for me to take any kind of action. Remedial action that you describe here in this paragraph, where: "the use of an impartial third-party for remediation could be made if it's difficult to reach a common understanding," is something that I have been considering. I would consider perhaps using the Ombudsman services as a neutral third-party, as a mediator. We know that the Ombudsman is able to provide remediation.

But one thing I would like to see is to still find out where to go beyond that. I'm happy to see then in the Part (3) "Members and Standby Status" etc., going on like this. I'm happy to see this. What I have done in the past with some Members, if they've stopped being active completely is basically ask them and say: "look, this is not looking good for your record. Perhaps you might wish to consider standing down?" Some have not stood down and have remained in their position.

And again, I'm just saying, this is a very small number of people in the overall ALAC structure. I hope that helps. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you Olivier. Yes, I believe that does help because what's drafted in there is in fact a considerable next-step in [as much formalizes? 00:42:09] what has been informally done, and it's of course in total keeping with the newly [appointed? 00:42:17] Rules of Procedure.

It also gives foundation for what I trust will be in a post-Singapore environment any next steps, which would include also what could be done about absolute [00:42:31] don't respond even to the standby status. I see Tijani and then Alan. I believe Tijani you were first. Go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you Cheryl. Olivier, what I meant by "remediation parameters" is the number of meetings not attended, how long when this happens we have to go to status one, two or three. This is the main sensitive point we have to tackle, because without those parameters we will not be able to go to a remediation or to anything. So I think that we have to emphasize our work on the definition of those parameters.

I remember that those parameters were very sensitive and we had a very strong reaction from people who said: "we are volunteers. You don't have the right to tell us that..." etc., etc. So a common understanding of that would be very helpful in order to have working metrics. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you Tijani. Of course, an important issue is raised from that, with sensitivities. The outreach work that Maureen is Lead on. We do have to fill this concept and we do have to help the community understand that it's in their best interest if they have active representation and participation from the people that they've entrusted not just as mere volunteers but as thought-leaders and community leaders.

I saw Olivier put his hand up. Was that regarding a response to Tijani or can Alan go first?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Alan can go first and then I'll respond to both Alan and Tijani. I gather Alan will also add to what Tijani has said.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you for indulging us Olivier. Over to you Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. I'll just point out that the current Rules of Procedure do talk about remediation and list a laundry list of things. It is prefixed by saying the Chair is empowered to do this with the agreement of the ALAC. I would suggest that in the interim period of time our Chair has just been renewed with huge amounts of community support – or ALAC support anyway – for another term.

That means that presumably we have some trust. The current Chair, in the absence of this group coming up with recommendations for the ALAC approval, can get a mandate to take action at his discretion, and all the shackles are off at that point. It can exclude kicking the person off the ALAC, which requires explicit action of the ALAC anyway.

So I think in the absence of rules we can give the Chair empowerment. The Chair should not be in a position saying, "I can note that someone isn't doing anything but I can't do anything because my hands are tied." I think we need to remove that and remove that quickly. And if the ALAC has as much confidence in the Chair as the thumbs-up and plus-ones indicated when his term was extended, we should be able to do that with no problem whatsoever. Thank you.

And I would be delighted to make the proposal to the ALAC to approve that in Buenos Aires.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Excellent Alan. I look forward to that outcome. Of course, we're not only just setting up for the current Chair. He gets the advantage of building a robust system with us, but for future Chairs to come.

ALAN GREENBERG: Cheryl, if I may for a second? This group is going to come up with detailed recommendations for the ALAC to approve. We're talking about in the interim until we get our act together and finish.



CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Understood.

ALAN GREENBERG: Hopefully that will be within the lifetime of this Chair.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: [laughs] I hope so, unless he drops off his perch before Singapore!

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much. I'm firmly holding onto my perch at the moment. I was just going to mention responding to Tijani. I've looked at the different metrics there; the definition of the threshold parameters. I think that these are particularly important. From my experience as Chair – and I'm sure Cheryl will be able to corroborate this as well, in her experience as chair – it's quite obvious within a couple of months to be able to note the lack of involvement of a volunteer, of an ALAC Member.

Because it doesn't just come as not taking part in discussion on email, but in general when people... Let's say they miss the ALAC monthly call, do not send an apology, and are then sent an email by Staff to ask, "do you have a reason for missing the call?" Say they don't answer that email and then do this two months running... This is effectively what we're faced with. At that point you then know that this Member is not being active.

I would say the first threshold is the two months running. If for two months we're not able to get hold of them then the Chair is to officially, at that point, notify them and find out what's going on. That would be my suggestion. And of course it doesn't mean any negative procedure is being engaged, it's just the enquiry phase that's started after two months. Because waiting for three months, plus another six months afterwards, is just going to be very long-winded. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Good to know.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you. Tijani, did you capture all of that?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes. I put characters so that we can replace those characters with figures, and Olivier just gave one of those figures. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I'm sorry if it's only one of those figures, because these are very important figures. I would not be able to give you the exact details for each one. I could send you an email afterwards, if you want, with some suggestions for figures, but I cannot purport to be holding the answer to the eternal truth of youth. [laughs]

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: More's the pity, Olivier, I could do with the truth of youth, that's for sure. One of the other things that I suppose is worthwhile mentioning at this point in time is that if we get this right – and I believe we are; even harking back to the more turgid days during my Chair-ship, when some of the sensitivities were particularly at a high level, with this framework I think it's a very important thing, because there will be the opportunity for shared understanding.

And I think that's what we were missing last time. So we are building on a very solid foundation thanks to the new Rules of Procedure and the work this Working Group is doing. But the thing is of course that beyond just this we do have, within our ALAC Rules of Procedure, and most importantly it's a vital part of our contribution from At-Large to the work of ICANN, those people who we trust to represent us.

Whether those people are formal or informal liaisons or just representatives on various committees and working groups. And I know someone and any of you on this call are keen and attentive when you say you're going to be a part of a working group or drafting community, and do in the main attend with a very high level of not only just attendance but valuable contributions.

It does in my view, all of [the time? 00:52:00], when for example we have in some cases four or five regionally allocated At-Large Members into a Working Group and these people never turn up. So the next step will of course be to use these same principles, if not the specific

definitions, to improve our act at the next level down. Enough from me though, over to you Alan and then Olivier.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. I'll just point out two things. With the first thing I think Cheryl will understand where I'm coming from. Although I appreciate Olivier's comments on how to recognize someone who's disappeared, those aren't the real problems. That has to be fixed, but they're not the real problems. The real problems are the people who do attend and do nothing: rarely speak, rarely take any action, rarely participate, rarely generate anything, but they do attend and they may even vote.

And those are the harder nuts to crack, so to speak. With regards to the emotions that came out of the woodwork when we initially tried to talk about remedial action, I'll point out that the thing that really got people's dander up was the concept of the ALAC, in the extreme case, dismissing someone who had been appointed by a RALO.

That is the RALOs were autonomous, the RALOs under no conditions could be overruled by the ALAC in unappointing somebody. And who are we to say they're not working? The ALAC approved unanimously the new Rules of Procedure, which include provisions for that. And including some of the people who were most vehement when the issue was originally brought up. The world may have changed. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I certainly hope so Alan. I certainly think that's one of the reasons why the new Rules of Procedure are so valuable. Olivier, over to you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I was just going to ask one question. It's to do with the transparency of the metrics. I totally agree with those metrics on Working Group attendance, and I understand that those metrics on Working Group attendance would not be... I image they probably would not be taken as part of the overall metrics for the Chair to go and to have a go at people that are in the Working Groups but aren't active on the Working Groups.

It is good though for the metrics to be available, openly, when future Working Groups are created so as for the selection of those Working Groups could be able to know the track record of those people; if they've been on Working Groups and not been active at all. And this brings me to the question: will all of the metrics connected be absolutely open for everyone to consult?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Sure.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Olivier, I think that's a vital question for us to deal with. There's an awful lot of background noise. I don't know if everyone else is hearing as much static as I am. If you're not speaking, if you could mute your microphones please? I'll continue on even though it's deafening. I think

---

that's a conversation we need to start in Buenos Aires, and we do need to continue that. In terms of Working Group attendance, all of those attendance records are public in one way or another. What it's missing is an aggregation to feed back into our own ALAC and At-Large information.

Ladies and gentlemen I'm finding this noise untenable and unless Staff can mute all the lines except mine I don't know how we're going to continue. We only have a minute or so left on our call so at this point I'm going to ask for any other business. It's not you Olivier, we do appreciate that. Is there any other business? The noise has gone. Thank you very much. Is there any other business?

Alan is just responding to a question from Oksana. That's fine. I don't think we'll take that as any other business if you don't mind. In the absence of any other business I think we have a couple of other Action Items, although they are relatively loose Action Items from today's call. They include the synchronization into a single document after a meeting between Maureen and Tijani and other interested parties during Buenos Aires, for our aspirational metrics and next steps in drafting.

And of course there is the requirement on Maureen to see if Staff can get her some time during the regional leadership meeting during Buenos Aires. Is there any other Action Items, Silvia, that you need us to clarify before we close on the call?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Cheryl, I was taking some general notes. I don't have the specific Action Items, so if you want to send me a list of the specific ones I can note them.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay. Actually Silvia, I don't think there was many specific Action Items out of today's call other than those; the aggregation, desire and the outreach activity that Maureen was keen on. So obviously I think it's you, Silvia, who needs to get her a little bit of time during the regional leadership call. So with that if there's no other contribution from anybody I'll remind you all that we're going to be meeting in... What's the name of our room, Silvia? The Golden Horn?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, the Golden Horn.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay, so we're meeting at 8:00 am local time on Sunday, the 17<sup>th</sup> of November, in the Golden Horn room and I'm sure some of you will be on the ground during the Saturday and perhaps we'll be seeing a little bit of preemptive work before that. Dev, if there's anything we can do to help you with your testing, probing and prodding with the technology, please let us know.

With that I'd like to just ask each and every one of you to have safe travels if you're travelling to Buenos Aires. If you're not travelling to

Buenos Aires I hope you'll be able to join us remotely. I just want to check with Silvia that we will have remote participation in that meeting at 0800 on the Sunday?

SILVIA VIVANCO: For sure.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you very much. Thank you one and all. Thank you Staff. With that I'll be talking to some of you in just a short while for yet another Working Group meeting. Bye for now.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you. Bye-bye everybody.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Bye all.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPT]**