
GISELLA GRUBER:

Thank you. Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone on today's Cross RALO At-Large celebration of ATLAS II call on Wednesday the 29th of January at 17:00 UTC.

We have Glenn McKnight, Eduardo Diaz, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Wolf Ludwig, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Baudouin Schombe, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, and Juan Manuel Rojas. From staff, we have Carlos Reyes, Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, and myself, Gisella Gruber.

Could I also please just remind everyone when they speak to state their names for transcript purposes? Thank you. Over to you, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you. Good day, everyone. I just want to point a couple of things out before we start. I've been seconded to do this task today and I hope to do a good job on it. I want to let you all know I had a conversation with Eduardo, and Eduardo said to me – just in passing – “Glenn, I need you to do me a favor.” I said, “Sure.” He said, “Thanks. You're going to help me with the showcase.” Just for the future record, everyone, make sure when you're talking to Eduardo, make sure you find out what that favor is first before you say yes.

To start in with this, we've done a roll call. I just want to have a general discussion for a few minutes on the history of the At-Large showcases. With that, we'd like to get some sense of what has worked and what has not so we can move forward on making this event a huge success.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

I'd like to open it to the floor to anyone who would like to give their opinions on the past showcases.

Dead silence.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I'm not in the computer, but I can give my impression of a couple of showcases.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, go ahead.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I have participated.. I don't remember which showcase, but I always find boring or less attractive the type of showcases that we just have a presentation and something there but we don't have time to mingle, to do some kind of networking because we are always hearing someone speaking or so forth. It depends also on what the purpose of the showcases have been in the past. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you so much. I'd like to turn to Tijani. Tijani, you're next in the queue.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you, Glenn. First of all, the first showcase was done by AFRALO in Kenya and Nairobi. It was, if you want, the first experience so we were

finding our way, but it was not bad. I think people liked it because it was a presentation of ALSes, presentation of national goods from each ALS country.

But we [inaudible] Senegal, in Dakar. We did a much better one with music, with more visual things, less paper, more displays, with more dynamic, more people speaking and better ambience, better environment.

The last one we did was in Durban and it was better than the Senegal one. I think that this experience has to evolve now. For this kind of showcase, it will not be a showcase as was decided at the ATLAS II Organizing Committee. It will be a social event, but more open and less official speeches, more interaction, more conversation. I will propose a way to make it more or less direct, more or less the conversation so that it will not be only about personal things, etc. But it will not be an official speeches event. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you, Tijani. You're actually getting into the wish list for the next one, but that's great. Just hold that thought for a minute. Let me turn to Dev. Dev, can you succinctly give us your perspective on the past?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Thank you. Well, I think Tijani gave the basics of all the showcases. Typically, there's been an opening speech by [inaudible] and then there would be a cultural event to underline, afterwards, showcasing

something from the region and some aspect of culture, be it a dance, song, or whatever.

What I do recall from the first summit, there was something called At-Large Structure Fair and [poster] exhibition. I'm trying to find the link for that right this second. Essentially what it was, as I recall from the first summit in Mexico, it was a room where all the At-Large Structures could bring something from the At-Large Structure. The room was sort of – well, not divided, -but sorted out into the five regions and the At-Large Structures were there basically show what they do and so forth. Light refreshments were being served for the duration. I think it was sponsored, at the time, by .asia. I'll find a link for that.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

I think Heidi has just posted it. That's great. We're immediately gone into what we liked in the past, and I think we're getting into things that we wish for this forthcoming showcase.

Let me just reiterate. Do we have consensus that to do a similar idea like Dev has said, like a post or exhibit kind of tabletop type of interaction? Is that something that we all would like to see again as one of the high points of this forthcoming event?

Okay, Heidi has suggested – good idea – for the first item, please enter your green tick (Dev has done it already) based on what Dev's last – and I'll go back to the other ones as well that were suggested by Eduardo and Tijani. But let's just start with the first one. Green tick is "agree" if you'd like to see something similar that was done, I believe it was Mexico.

Sorry, can you repeat that please? Sorry, guys, somebody was saying something, I didn't catch it. I'm getting hands up, but please put your green tick. I'm getting Dev only.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: No, they want to speak. Give them the floor, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, back. Olivier, you're next in queue, please.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks so much, Glenn. I remember the showcase that was in place in Mexico City and that definitely brought a lot more discussion between people and certainly was a more suitable format than the format that we used for the regional summits that we usually have, because we have a heck of a lot more people in the room and that will certainly facilitate a lot more interaction.

Obviously, there should be a couple of speeches in there as well, but beyond the speeches – especially if we're going to get it sponsored, of course – there should be a significant amount of time that people can exchange what their local activities are.

I read Wolf's proposal and response on the mailing list and I thought that was rather good, as well. I wonder whether Wolf could actually expand on some of this later on on this call.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, let me get to Eduardo. It looks like Eduardo had a response to the conversation. Eduardo, can you jump in?

EDUARDO DIAZ: I just wanted for Dev or you to clarify what was done in Mexico. I guess it was the venue where we have the tables where people were showing off things from the different regions. Is that right? Is that we did? We didn't have a speaker, per se. I'm trying to remember what we did in Mexico. That was my main thing.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I recall the Mexico – I helped [Darman] set up the poster boards. We had display boards and I was actually showcasing a small netbook that we were looking at producing in Malaysia at the time. I was talking about our ALS and our effort with the small netbook. Other people had different displays.

It was a nice, smaller, intimate event. The question is, can we do this sort of intimate event? What we're doing is going to be much, much larger.

I think Olivier had a good point, and I did read Wolfgang's comments. If Wolfgang's online, maybe for the benefit of everyone, Wolfgang would you mind summarizing what you put in e-mail?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: It's not Wolfgang, it's Wolf.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Oh, okay, I stand corrected. Wolf, would you mind, as I requested?

WOLF LUDWIG: Okay, thanks a lot for the floor, Glenn. I was thinking about having something similar we tried in early 2009 for the first summit in Mexico City.

We were very clear at the moment that we will have a tech group for the ALSes to attend. Even by consulting ALSes beforehand, before we started the programming, we got aware that there was still a lot of top-down, prepared [inaudible] programming for them and we simply wanted to give them a prominent stage. This was a social event, it was this exhibition session.

Then we said, "Okay, we prepare a stage for them, but they will be the key players, they will be key experts, and they should have their own space to exchange amongst themselves without a fixed set [inaudible] etc. that will be an opening, a short introduction, and then we leave it up on our folks – on our members – to exchange and network amongst themselves."

I remember this concept from the feedback we got at the time was much appreciated. People really enjoyed meeting each other, [inaudible], RALO exchanges, intercultural exchanges. We had such a great potential in London, and I would like to get our ALSes out of a certain audience role and I would like them, at least at this social evening, at this session to be the key experts.

So far, I [inaudible] at this framing of an idea of an event which is based on the Mexico experience from 2009. Even if we are much bigger now, I think a set up in a round room with five tables that we offer each RALO its own table. They have to care how to decorate it, what kind of materials they put on it, etc. so it includes them in the organization of their own evening, etc., and we only deliver more an introduction and opening with a fancy speaker.

That's the reason why I mentioned somebody like Vint Cerf or Tim Berners-Lee. It should be really somebody extraordinary for one speech after the introduction and then leaves the floor to our members to fill in this evening and to make something important out of it for themselves.

I don't see that we have to prepare program for that. This is basically my thoughts, what I scribbled down yesterday evening and put it onto a mailing list as a suggestion. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you so much, Wolf. Let me turn to Tijani. He's been waiting patiently. Tijani, you had a comment on that?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Yes, thank you very much. I fully agree with Wolf, and I would like to add something.

Yes, it must be more relaxed than an official showcase that we did before for the region. Yes, we need less speech and more conversation. Yes, we need the RALOs and the ALSes to interact between themselves and also between the ecosystem of ICANN. I would like it to be like this,

also. I would like it to be an opportunity for them to interact with the other players in ICANN.

That's why I perhaps would suggest that we may invite people, some key people for some key issues and make them available in the room and tell people, "If you want to know more about this thing, Mister X or Madam X is there to interact with you." Yeah.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: [inaudible]

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Who is speaking?

I think this would make the showcase or the social event more fruitful for the ALSes. It is good to interact between us, between ALSes, between regions, but it is also good to interact with the [inaudible] of ICANN, with the other constituencies of ICANN, with the people of ICANN who are key persons for certain issues. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, thank you. Let's turn to Eduardo. We're getting into this hour already. Eduardo, final comment?

EDUARDO DIAZ: I was going to give my idea of what I see for this celebration, just to give you my personal view. I agree what Wolf was saying and Tijani. I think it should be a celebration. It should be a social event where people can

interact with each other. I foresee having a welcome speech, a very short one, "You're welcome" and set the tone of the social event. Maybe have somebody, a keynote speaker, a short introduction of what theme that we will select.

Then we have social event for people with some food and drink. Each RALO should have a table to show whatever they want to show from the region. To add for the ambience, we should have music in the background just to keep music going and that music can be from different places of the world. That's just an idea. Thanks.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay, Wolf has typed in the chat box. He suggests the change in the name of this group from "showcase." I'd like to open it up to another name that we can call ourselves. I agree, the term "showcase" has certain implications. We need to get our focus and our scope of our project.

It leads us to my trivia question which was the theme of the evening, and I think that could dictate the name of what we're doing. I just put a trivia question. Anybody who has the answer to that, they can type it in the type box. The idea is that any time you have an event, it has an inspiring term or an inspiring phraseology, so if someone wants to come up with something other than the word "showcase," because that doesn't seem to hit the high buttons for all of us.

Looks like Dev has successfully guessed on the trivia question. It is from the "Back to the Future" one.

Okay, so let's turn to how big is this? How many participants? How many members? How many invitees? I guess that we need to have a sense how big this event is going to be, and I think the name will be definitely appropriate based on what our event is. Can anyone clarify for all of us how big is this event, who do we expect to invite?

Olivier, did you want to jump in on that?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thank you very much, Glenn. The event is ICANN's 50th meeting. It's going to be pretty large, because it is the 50th gathering that ICANN is going to have around the world. That's one of the big things. London is going to be a big thing – not only for At-Large, but for all of ICANN. That's the first thing.

The next thing, of course, as far as we're concerned, there are going to be a lot of people. We will have at least 160 ALSes, as you know. That's a lot of people to start with. Plus, of course, all of the people that we're going to invite [inaudible]. We're looking at a significantly larger number of people than what we had in Mexico City, which at the time, was about half that amount of people. That's the first thing.

The second thing is that I think there will be a lot of media exposure as well, and we need to really gear this event there – the fair or the showcase or whatever we're going to call it, this event we're talking about – we need to gear this towards something that's going to be visual as well, so that the media can take pictures of it and can interact with people. We need to think of that.

As far as invitees are concerned, I think looking along the lines of the Tim Berners-Lees and the Vint Cerfs and dot-coms of this world will probably be the right type of people to invite to get to talk to us.

I think that Vint might be a possibility. I can certainly e-mail him right now and try and have this on his agenda. There's a London Organizing Committee that looks at the larger ICANN 50 London preparations, and that's headed by Sally Costerton, and I know that they are going to also get some big people to come down –some well-known people to come down – and capitalize on media exposure. As a result, we could maybe also piggyback on these. In other words, get some of these people to come over to our event and even address people at our event.

If, for example, Vint Cerf is already invited to speak in the opening ceremony of ICANN, then he's going to be able to come and speak to us, very much like what happened over in San Francisco.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Right.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That's the sort of exposure that we should be aiming for, in my view. I think this is something that is shared by Sally Costerton and her team, as well. We are looking at basically make some waves, some positive waves there. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you. Anyone else want to add to that? I notice Eduardo has posted. He's looking at around 300 attendees and that's all the ALSes. Obviously, it could grow from there, so we have some logistical issues in terms of the flow of the evening. By the sounds of it, most people are saying they don't want a repeat of basically a mini-lecture series, either. Tijani, did you want to say something?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, thank you. I don't want to flood the event. If we have more than 300 persons in the room, it will not be efficient at all and nothing will be reached. It would be [inaudible], if you want. I think that since we are 160 ALSes plus, let's say, 20 or 40 persons, so 200 is okay. We have to invite key persons who can bring something to the ALSes, people who can have good interaction with the ALSes. We can invite everyone, but it will be a problem. We are already numerous. It's a huge number. If we add to that 100 persons, I think it would be flooded. The aim of this social event will not be reached. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Right. There is logisticals and Tijani's making a very good point. To be intimate with a very, very large number – and if we are looking at showcasing certain individuals, it may be cross-purpose on what we're trying to achieve. We need to be very careful on what our real purpose is. I've heard a lot of things from people, what the purpose of this event is. I think we have to be consistent on what we want to achieve. I'd like to still try to settle what is our prime purpose for this event?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Olivier is asking for floor.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Olivier, do you want to jump in again?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thank you very much, Glenn. I think we're going to face some real philosophical problems if we close the doors of this event. This is an open thing. We're an open community and if we're going to have a star speaking to us like Vint Cerf, for example, then there's no choice. We cannot stop people from coming in. In fact, we have to be able to accommodate as many people as possible. Restricting it to 200 when we've got 160 ALSes plus staff plus having 40 people from outside the community come to this? I mean, what is that, a secret sect? That can't work. I'm sorry. We have to keep this a lot larger.

As I said, you should have seen how many people were in San Francisco. I don't have the exact numbers, but that floor was actually packed with people at the time and it ran pretty well, but it was of course a different format.

Our challenge here, I guess, is to be able to mix the new format with that number of people being around and walking around. I would rate the success of this by the number of people that would come in there. If we only get 40 people interested in At-Large, then really that's not possibly good. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you. Heidi on the chat has mentioned 240-plus. Back to Wolf again, please.

WOLF LUDWIG: I totally agree with what Olivier said before. I think it's not an option at all to make any closed shop out of it or a closed event. I remember, again referring to Mexico City. At the time, this social evening of this exhibition event was in same hotel as the ATLAS I participants they accommodated. It was not the venue or hotel which was five walking minutes away – I think it was the Sheraton in Mexico.

Our question at the time was if you may create something attractive enough to get some more participants from outside the community, because one of our key concerns at the time was to find some recognition in the broader ICANN community for At-Large, etc.

We had some more spectators and we had some more people. Not many, but we had some in Mexico already. I think, in the meantime, we can expect more attention in London even from the broader ICANN community.

When we talk about possible achievement we would like to reach with such an event and such an evening, I think one functional achievement should be we have to get even more recognition now as a lot of people who are still skeptical about At-Large [inaudible] and they are not aware how this functions. They are not aware how At-Large is composed, etc.

ATLAS II, in my opinion, offers a unique opportunity, again, to make a broader community aware about the potential of At-Large, about the variety of grassroots organization we could organize in the meantime.

Therefore, I would strongly argue in the direction of an open model, of an open evening, even if we cannot exactly calculate at the beginning how many people will show up. I also remember the San Francisco NARALO showcase with a key speaker like Vint Cerf, and for sure Vint Cerf was somebody who attracted more attention for that NARALO showcase, and the variety of people have showed up in San Francisco at an ALAC event – people from the boarder community I’ve never seen before at anything what At-Large made or organized. I think this should be a second element for potential achievements, the question of broader recognition of At-Large besides one of my key achievement would be to have an evening for the ALSes themselves.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay, thank you. Thank you so much. Tijani, you’ve been waiting patiently. Go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Yes, please, thank you. Olivier and Wolf, there is no intention to close anything. On the contrary, our showcase is open as any other social event in ICANN, so it’s not closed at all, but we will not invite all people. We will invite key persons. If people come, they’re welcome. No problem. We don’t have to close. We’re not closing. But if our objective is to have more people, I think it is not a good thing because, as I said, if you have a huge number in the room, nothing will be done. It will be

only as we [inaudible]. Nothing can be achieved there. Only speak with people, with friends, and drink something and that's all.

If we want it to be fruitful, I think we need not to invite the whole attendees. We have to invite key persons. We have to make it open, but not invite persons. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you so much. Rafid, would you like to add your point? Rafid, you're next. I see Rafid's typing. Okay, I'm not getting any audio from Rafid.

My gist of this conversation, we have two different purposes going on here. I think we need to settle on if we open it up with a grand speaker, yes, we'll get lots of people but are we going to achieve that social networking and personal nature that we had in Mexico City? We have really two approaches here, so I think this group needs to settle on what format and what it would like to do. That's my opinion, and I'm getting Rafid now, maybe.

Rafid, are you there? Is anyone hearing Rafid? Okay. In the meantime, maybe they'll come in. Eduardo, your hand's up, please?

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Glenn. I think having somebody there as a keynote speaker for a short speech [inaudible] an importance will motivate more people to come, just like we did in San Francisco when we got Vint there. Lots of people went basically because Vint was there, but Vint's speech was related to At-Large somehow. It helped in bringing the message across,

so having somebody important as a keynote speaker is a plus. Have them for a short period of time, then we go into social things. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay, thank you. Okay, Eduardo. Does anyone else want to add to that? Our time is sensitive. Rafid, have you been able to join us?

Okay, so moving through the agenda. We're bouncing around a little bit, but Olivier, could you give us a status report on the sponsorship, please?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Yes, thank you very much, Glenn. The sponsorship, at the moment, we got some proposals for sponsorship and there are several potential sponsors that are aligned that are [inaudible] to receive the proposals. I'm still working out the exact figures for what we would be asking. Ideally, lunch on Sunday is a good [idea forward], dinner on the Friday night before the meeting would be another potential thing so we'd already have two events by the time we reached the showcase, which would be on the Monday, late afternoon.

At that point, at this moment, there's obviously interest from the usual suspects – the likes of Afiliis and Google – who have already, in the past, sponsored our showcases so they know what they would be going for. Of course, the difference in the format would be different, but of course, they're after exposure. If we do go for the likes of the Vint Cerf's

of this world, I'm sure Google will be able to put their hand in the pocket for a bit more than what they usually go for.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Gotcha. In terms of, just in a nutshell, we may have sponsorship for the celebration evening, or it's in the queue? I guess I'm trying to get a clear answer on just the showcase itself, the celebration. Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, Glenn, that's right. I mean, at the moment, if you could work out what your overall budget would be, that would be helpful. But, at the moment, I'm basically asking for as much as possible. I'm asking for a total of \$50,000 for the showcase, which is a heck of a lot more than what we have asked in the past, but it's a case of asking for this amount and if we find we get a fraction of this – and the fraction being a large fraction of this – we'll still be very happy and we'll be able to do a lot more than what we usually can.

We have to remember, this is a 160 At-Large Structures there, so there's going to be a need for a lot more food and a lot more drinks than there usually is.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Rafid, are you there now? Can you add your voice to the conversation? I'm sorry, Olivier. I saw Rafid was actually joining us. Rafid? Okay, we're still not hearing from Rafid.

You're right, Olivier. It will dictate whether we have finger food or we have a more substantial meal. We all know how expensive London is, so we have some issues there.

I want to get back to the stuff that we were talking earlier on. Local organizations such as some of the logistic stuff, the food, and the music performance, and things like that. We need someone who's on the ground in the London area to take care of that. Do we have any volunteers in this group that will be stepping forward to help organize any of that?

I assume that's a no at this stage? Is that correct? It's very difficult to organize some of that logistical stuff that's not from our location. Again, this group has to decide. Each of our celebrations, we had some kind of local music performance. I guess I'll step back – do we want that? If we want it, what music and who's going to organize that?

Okay, Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you so much, Glenn. I don't know yet with regards to what kind of a local music that we could have. Let's kick some ideas around. We've got plenty of time until then, so let's kick some ideas around. If not, then you can pretty much get anything and everything.

As far as local musicians are concerned, there is the [inaudible] music worldwide. This group would have to think about. With regards to being able to arrange things locally [inaudible], I'm there quite often. I know that Rafid Fatani also is in London as well, actually. He lives in London

for a significant amount of his time. You've got at least two people who are there quite regularly. I don't think there's a problem with being able to arrange things locally.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yes. Thank you so much, Olivier. Rafid is responding in the chat box that he can do that. So, Rafid, thank you so much.

Put your comments into the Wiki – and that's true for everyone, as well. Suggested names, suggested types of live performance, as well, and also suggest the names of our main speaker and a format. We need to work out the logistics of what this evening's going to entail. Please feel free to do that.

I just want to ask the group, is there any special acknowledgments or awards or singling-out certain individuals that we need to do at this event? I'd like to throw that out, as well. Olivier, you're next, and then Eduardo, and then Dev. Okay, Olivier has dropped out. Eduardo, go ahead.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Yes, thank you, Glenn. I just wanted to comment on the music. I think the music should be not of the type of a performance music. I think it should be in the background while we are socializing. If possible, this background music should play music from different regions of the world [inaudible] background music just for the ambience. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Excellent, thank you for that comment. Again, please add that to the Wiki as well and we'll make sure we have a section on that. Next in the queue, Dev, please?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Glenn. Just agree with Eduardo. That's exactly what I was going to say. I think when you have live performances, everything stops. Nobody networks or anything. Everybody just looks at the live performance. So I would think having [inaudible] might be a distraction. I think Eduardo's idea is a good one. Have some music from all the regions, global music in the background would be good. Not so much live performances, per se. Actually, I think in a way, live performances would take it back to a showcase-type event.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Excellent. Thank you so much. Tijani, did you want to add your comment?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, please. Yes, Glenn. I think that when we say "local music," we are not talking about local European music because it is happening in Europe. We are speaking about local music of each RALO since it's a gathering of the whole RALOs. I think that each RALO has to come with some original music from their region and someone will compile all that music and put them as a background music as Eduardo said, so it will be background music brought by the RALO members to [inaudible] the

head of the meeting and then we have to agree on someone who will compile them and put them in loop as a background music. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay. So it looks like we're getting quite a few people having consensus on this, and I think Eduardo jumped right away with his agree. If you would like to have your green checkmark on green on background music as opposed to a performance. When it comes to the actual music, we'll have to work that out logistically – it'll depend on the performer. We're getting Dev, Eduardo, Wolf has answered, and Tijani. Olivier, do you have a vote, and Rafid?

Okay. So the majority of us have already voted on the music issue. I want to go back to something that I was talking about earlier about acknowledgement. Does anyone have here a special acknowledgment that we want to single someone out from our community, a lifetime achievement award or something? I just want to throw that out for general discussion for the group. Anyone want to start that conversation?

I notice Rafid has suggested Lynn St. Amour, who's stepping away from ISOC. She hasn't been involved with us, but that's a name that somebody has suggested. Wolf, would you go ahead, please?

WOLF LUDWIG:

I think we should at least try to be a little bit more efficient. If we really want to create some sort of highlight or attraction for the ALSes, should we start with the father generation of Internet. My opinion is clearly

Vint Cerf or Tim Berners-Lee, etc., and I think we should all decide on a kind of preference or [inaudible], asking Heidi to contact them and to ask them.

My first preference would be Vint, because he's much appreciated, much admired, etc. He has a key role in the community, and if you cannot get Vint, then my second priority would be trying with Tim Berners-Lee. If none of the two works, then to go on with Paul. Lynn would be probably afterwards, if we don't receive to engage one of the bigger guys.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Excellent, thank you. Heidi looks like she's concurring, Wolf, with your ideas giving an award on behalf of At-Large to whoever is this person. I think that's a prudent thing for us to do. Eduardo, did you want to add to that? Please turn over to Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Yes, thank you Glenn. I was going to say that we don't have to recognize anybody there. Between the celebration, we got the social event, set the tone, and then networking thing. It is all about At-Large. Either way, having a recognition there is just more time people not networking. [inaudible]. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Thank you. That's a great point, Eduardo. I think my comment was recognizing within the community, not without the community. I guess I'm overall shy to recommend anyone right now, but I was thinking

within the At-Large community, there are certain individuals we may want to single-out. I'll leave that on the table for people to mull over and think about, but you don't need to do an answer right now.

Let me say there's only ten minutes left in this call. I want to just open it to general discussion, so that's stuff that I didn't put on the agenda that should have been on the agenda. I'd like to turn it to the group to bring up any issue that we have neglected or we should be looking at. Please put your hand up on what item – okay, so Eduardo, you're first. Go ahead.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you. I just wanted to bring back to, at least, there was some discussion in the chat about the name of the celebration itself. It was said that in a previous meeting the name was selected to be –I'm looking it here, I'm not sure where it is – but it says, "At-Large Celebration of ATLAS II." I just wanted to reach some consensus on whatever names we can call this. The right name for the event. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yes, thank you. I think Carlos has something on that, because I recall he was talking about it. His hand's up next, as well. It might be the same topic. Carlos, over to you.

CARLOS REYES:

Thanks, Glenn. Yes, some clarity on the name would be helpful, but also something Heidi, Gisella, and I have discussed. There is no

representative from the APRALO region, and I have reached out to a few people but I haven't received any follow-up. I was wondering if any of you would be able to reach out to potential APRALO members?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Good point. Thank you. Let's go back to Eduardo's comment. Can we have a consensus on this alternative name other than "showcase"? Eduardo, did you want to suggest a name and we have a vote on it?

EDUARDO DIAZ: No, no, I was just mentioning that there was a name that was already identified. The name is At-Large Celebration of ATLAS II. If that's a name that has been identified by name, then we need to clarify that that's the name so everybody's in agreement with that. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. We can start with that. Like anything else, it takes time to modify a name. We can start with that name and over time – hopefully by the next meeting – we'll have. Rafid is quite right, in the chat box he's saying it's a little tiny long-winded and that's the essence of what I was trying to say with "The Dance to the Enchanted Sea." We need a catchy, short expression so that the e-vite cards, the graphics, it all looks really inviting. I think we need to work on this name a little bit further. Let me turn to Tijani. Tijani, please?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, as a replacement for “showcase,” I propose “get-together.” It’s very short, it’s very significant, and it’s broad, so we are not limited by what is inside.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, we got you. Thank you. Wolf?

WOLF LUDWIG: I have some hesitations about the term “celebration,” because “celebration” always indicates you are celebrating something or yourself and I do not see that the intent to celebrate ourselves, even if we gained some achievement over the last couple of years, but there’s still a lot of work in front of us.

Therefore, my suggestion would be let’s avoid “celebration” and let’s come back to fair-type of event I think we agreed upon, basically. [inaudible] opportunities for and from the community, etc. I also could see something like what Olivier mentioned in the chat. At-Large exhibition, but something with more active events and let’s avoid “celebration.”

Let’s post it, I think, on the broader list and let’s do a consultation on this. We can say, “Okay, we agreed on a certain concept already. It should be [inaudible], which is a main point, and it must be something in line with an interactive-type of event.” “celebration” is not necessarily interactive anymore. “Celebration” everybody is thinking about booze and food, etc., and dancing, etc. It’s an interactive event and it’s with the ALSes for exchanges and networking. If we basically

agree on the conceptual key elements, then it's afterwards easier to find and agree on a name. Thanks.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay. Thank you so much, Wolf. I think Wolf has made a good point. We don't have consensus on the name. There's been three or four suggestions and also one from Olivier on the chat. I think we just, again, summarize the different names and then ask for other suggestions in the community, as well. Hopefully by the next meeting, we'll have some semblance of a consistent name.

Let me go back. Is there any other issues other than the outstanding issue on the name?

If that's it, I'd like to conclude the meeting. We're concluding it on schedule. I'll add additional points into the Wiki, as well, and I'll ask the At-Large chat list, as well, for their suggestions. I'd like to conclude the meeting, if anyone else has anything else to say.

Okay, Dev has asked a good point. What date and time shall we suggest for this next meeting? Anyone have a preference for this?

EDUARDO DIAZ:

You can run it every two weeks, same time.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, if that works, for same time, same channel. So, in two weeks from now, and that gives us what date? We're talking the 12th of February [inaudible]. Is that okay with everyone?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yes.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Fine with me.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. And if people can suggest items for the agenda, please? Thank you so much for attending today. It's well-appreciated.

[END OF TRANSCRIPT]