DAVID OLIVE:

Welcome, everyone. Thank you very much for joining our ICANN 68 coordination group call on the 14th of May. In that sense, I would like to look and go over quickly the agenda. It will have some welcoming remarks by Sally Costerton and myself. Then, the ICANN 68 plenary sessions scheduling with Tanzanica and programing by Mary Wong. A short update on the technical matters for the ICANN 68. Tanzanica will then look to schedule the updates and we'll have any other business.

So, to that extent, I'd like to see if I can first turn it over to Sally Costerton for some comments and then I'll talk a little bit about prep week. Sally?

SALLY COSTERTON:

Thanks very much, David. Thank you, everybody, for coming together. It's great to have you all with us again today. I'm very much looking forward to getting your priorities, especially on the discussion around the plenary sessions. I know I saw in the email we've been having some discussion about who's going to organize what. And so, hopefully we'll be able to have quite a bit of a quality discussion about that on today's call. And obviously the more we can solidify this process, the earlier we can get input from everybody who we need to help us. I'm looking forward to a productive call, thank you.

DAVID OLIVE:

Thank you, Sally, and I thank everyone for working with our teams to get the scheduling in place. I would just like to remind people that our

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

preparation week is going to be a little longer than usual and we're scheduling now calls or information webinars from the 9th through the 18th of June. There'll be an announcement early next week about the program, some that are scheduled, others that are planned, and we'll be able to update you on a regular basis so that shortly you'll have a view of some of the information sharing webinars that are planned prior to ICANN 68. To that extent, that'll allow you to look at and select and plan your scheduling for that.

Typically, we'll have a pre-ICANN policy report, and that will be coming out as well as a GNSO report on various issues and topics that they're working on as part of a preparatory material. And of course, there will be a policy webinar for the update.

With that, I want to turn it over to the next item on the agenda, ICANN 68, the plenary sessions scheduling and programming. First to Tanzanica King, please.

TANZANICA KING:

Thanks, David, and hello to everyone. I hope you guys are all doing well. The schedule that we have agreed to in terms of the days are going to be at the block four, so 13:00 in Kuala Lumpur time. And, at the moment, we've placed those on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. This order sort of came from the priority level that came from your vote. It's not set in stone, so if for some reason you'd like to change the days that these fall on, we can absolutely discuss that. And I'm going to go ahead and turn it over to Mary so she can talk with you about session development and running these three sessions. Mary?

MARY WONG:

Thanks, Tanzanica. Hi, everybody, hope y'all are staying well and keeping safe. So, while this on screen, as Tanzanica said, these are the three topics for the three proposed plenary sessions. You will no doubt remember that the first two topics are largely topics that had been suggested for ICANN 67 and at the time your decision, as well as those of the other leaders, was let's not do plenaries for ICANN 67, let's look at them again for ICANN 68. So, here we are.

So, I don't actually want to talk at you. It really is, as [Dean] was asking on the email earlier today, we need to get planning on this and obviously, as those of you who've been involved in previous sessions know, planning involves everything from what the format should look like, should there be speakers, do you want a moderator, what should be the scope of the discussion, etc. And typically, we work with one or two community groups. These are generally the groups that suggested the topic in the first place, obviously, and perhaps it was a joint suggestion or sometimes when the suggestion is made, another group will say, "Yes, we support ... We're happy to be part of this session." So, there's been a mix of things.

I'll remind you—please correct me if I get this wrong—that for the topic of DNS abuse as well as Internet of Things, the original suggestions came largely from the ccNSO and we did get support from groups like the SSAC. So, a couple of questions for this group, and hopefully you can let us know what you'd like to do so we can get on with the programming and planning.

One is that for the topic of DNS abuse, based on your previous discussions, the topic has perhaps expanded somewhat to take into account obviously the current situation and development. So, the question there for you is, should we continue to work with the ccNSO and the SSAC? And this probably something that Katrina in particular you might want to weigh in on.

The second topic on the DNS Internet of Things, I understand that there had been some early conversations between some folks in the ccNSO and I believe it might have been the ISP constituency, this particular topic does not seem to have changed much in terms of scope or emphasis. But the same question: Should we work with the ccNSO and whoever else they've reached out to?

David and Tanzanica, maybe I'll stop here because the third topic is a little bit different and that's the one that bubbled up in the last month or so, so if we could perhaps focus on the two plenary sessions that were previously suggested before moving to the third, I think that might be helpful.

DAVID OLIVE:

Very good. Tanzanica, can you manage the queue? I'm somewhat hampered by that at the moment.

TANZANICA KING:

Absolutely. I see Manal has her hand up. Go ahead, Manal.

MANAL ISMAIL:

Thank you, Tanzanica, and thank you, Mary. I think the GAC would be interested to get involved at least in the DNS abuse session. So, just flagging the interest for now. I'll be back to you with the exact name. Thank you.

TANZANICA KING:

Thank you, Manal. We will take that down. I see Jonathan next, and then Katrina.

JONATHAN ROBINSON:

Yeah, thank you very much. Just to essentially say similar to Manal at this stage, I'll certainly be interested in contributing to that planning from a registries at least point of view, possibly contracted parties house point of view. But let me defer to Katrina. Thank you.

TANZANICA KING:

Thank you, Jonathan. Go ahead, Katrina.

KATRINA SATAKI:

Yeah, thank you very much. Hello, everyone. Well, I'm a little bit surprised to hear that we proposed DNS abuse and malicious registrations, because to my knowledge, we haven't done that, or at least I wouldn't take the responsibility. But we did propose DNS and Internet of Things for the meeting in Cancún together with SSAC because the key person who was very instrumental in writing that SSAC document on DNS and Internet of Things, he works both for ccTLD

community and [inaudible]. So, he was really very instrumental in having this session.

We have reached out to him asking whether we should move forward with organizing this session and while unfortunately we haven't received a definite yes yet, we hope to get that, but we will get back to you as soon as we hear from him. But, at this moment, if there other options, other topics you'd like to discuss, then probably we should start thinking about other things too, or maybe if somebody else can jump in and start organizing this session, then great. But, DNS abuse, sorry that's not our cup of tea. No, I mean we will gladly participate but we were not the ones who had the original idea. Thank you.

TANZANICA KING:

Thank you, Katrina. Sebastien, I believe you're next.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Thank you very much, Tanzanica. Yeah, I guess, at least my understanding, is that in At-Large we are discussing this issue at length and we have organized a meeting on that topic at the last ICANN meeting for At-Large, but it was quite open and a lot of participants. That's why I'm sure that my colleague from ALAC will wish to be involved and eventually lead the team. We are really working on that and I am sure that Jonathan Zuck will be able to say more on that, but don't forget the end user. Thank you.

TANZANICA KING:

Thank you, Sebastien. Jonathan, I think you're next and then Wolf. That was a leftover hand. Okay, I think Wolf, you're up.

WOLF-ULRICH KNOBEN:

Yeah, thanks Tanzanica. So, we definitely have an interest in the session of DNS and IOT things, and we did not have yet have any exchange with the ccNSO. [There might be a meeting invitation.] But so, we have been working something in the technical area of that, so we could participate in that. I wouldn't say at the moment that we have a one who could lead that, but we are willing to cooperate also in the organization of these things. And I would like just to feedback to my community and to talk about with them and then provide a name who will be responsible from our side. Thank you.

TANZANICA KING:

Thank you very much. It sounds like we have just about every group interested in this topic, which is not surprising. I see another hand up. Joanna, go ahead.

JOANNA KULESZA:

Thank you very much. Just very briefly to compliment everything that's been said by my At-Large colleagues. We've also been discussing the issue of individual rights or individual concerns with regard to DNS abuse and COVID-19. I understand that this would be in line with Manal's suggestion for the GAC proposal. So, in that sense, we would be happy to coordinate working with other groups if there is an end-use

perspective in terms of rights and protecting individuals from DNS abuse [in this specific context.] Thank you.

TANZANICA KING:

Thank you. Mary, go ahead.

MARY WONG:

Yeah, I typed in the chat but I guess I should have said it. Hopefully it was just obvious, I didn't need to say it, that working with the groups that have volunteered to plan out the session, we would typically obviously then help them scope out the topics, any sub-topics, issue invitations to speaks and so on. And my sense from working with this group and all the other groups previous has been that the idea is to be as inclusive as possible in terms of making sure that different viewpoints can be represented, that none of the sessions are in any way an advocacy piece for any viewpoint or group, and to allow for ample time for discussion, questions, answers, and other interactions.

So, I guess I'm just repeating that to hopefully as assurance and I don't see that we're going to change the way we do it just because we're going into a virtual meeting. Jonathan, did you want to comment on this?

JONATHAN ROBINSON:

Sure, Mary, I mean just to try and nudge things on a little bit. I mean, I sense that you would like to have some volunteers, contributors. I'm willing to ... I know the CPH, obviously strongly interested in DNS abuse topic and will be running some webinars ahead of the ICANN 68 but

would be active in contributing to the plenary session as well. So, to that extent and to enable continuity perhaps with the ICANN 66 session, I'm willing to put myself forward as a potential coordinator, co-organizer, of the session. Thanks, Mary.

MARY WONG:

Thank you so much, Jonathan. So, the team will follow up with you and obviously with the chairs or people named from the other groups and we will get going. And thank you, Graeme, for your comment in the chat.

So, if we can look at the third session, as I mentioned and as you all know, this is a new topic that came up in the last month or so and was agreed as a very timely and important topic. So, since this came from a different process than what we've had in the past, internally some of us have been thinking about how this session could be planned and managed. And I might turn it to David to explain a little more, but here we are seeking your guidance as to how you think the session can best be planned and run. One possibility, and this was the one we were sort of kicking around internally, is to have this as a discussion led by perhaps someone like Göran from Org, Maarten, or somebody from the Board, and of course leaders and representatives from each of the SOs and ACs and to have that as a discussion with those folks kicking it off. Perhaps moderated as in previous sessions we've done when Org has organized it by someone from our Comms team.

So, that's just something that we came up with internally. Like I said, we're asking your guidance as to how you think this could best be done

and all we're offering is one possible suggestion. So, while waiting for hands to hopefully fly up, David or Sally, do you have anything else you want to add?

DAVID OLIVE:

Thanks, Mary. I'm sorry I'm only here on the audio part of it. To that extent, looking at how Board, Org, and community are handling their work in the pandemic crisis, that I think would be an interesting sharing of experiences. I know some groups have had the discussions at a council level or at other levels, or can report on some of the challenges, the moving to virtual, the reaching out to people, and the difficulties possibly, and I think that might be a roundtable, if you will, discussion hearing how Org is adjusting, the Board's work is adjusting, and the SO/ACs in their managing of the policy and advice might be, again, a way to have a discussion with others talking to the topic and adding their own either personal or other views as we move to evermore virtual in our work. I'll stop there.

TANZANICA KING:

And I see a hand up from Jonathan. Go ahead.

JONATHAN ROBINSON:

Thank you. It's a contribution on this topic. I'm in no particular concern with the format or structures you suggested. But I think for me there's two components to this. One is—and we've discussed this a little—how might meetings be impacted in general due to the current and the

projected future situation in and around the pandemic and related points?

And then, because this is the policy forum, focusing in specifically on policy here, but I guess we need to mindful that there's a bigger context. It may impact elements of, for example, outreach and other dimensions to the work of ICANN. But I see from the way the topic is framed here that the focus will be on policy, and I think that's absolutely right, but it might be worth setting this in the context of some further work that may happen outside of this plenary session and outside this meeting to be thinking about the broader work of ICANN. Thanks.

TANZANICA KING:

Thank you, Jonathan. And Wolf-Ulrich, go ahead please.

WOLF-ULRICH KNOBEN:

Yeah, thanks Tanzanica. I was thinking about that, and adding to what Jonathan just said, my feeling here is that the topic is more related—not so much content related, let me say, in terms of policy and other things rather than of methodology and prioritization and these things. So, that's what I understand from that topic.

I would like to raise that other entities, other companies outside ICANN. So, I participated in at least two of those calls where other entities like ISPs and also other technical folks were thinking about the same thing: What is the impact of COVID-19 to their work and what does it mean? And these things. So, the question here is one thing. Could we also let participate someone from outside ICANN who is faced with the same

problem, an association or a kind of entity also? I don't have a specific one in mind, but it's just an idea, that's what I was thinking.

And then, on the other hand, so, if I'm right that they are talking about not content wise, but more about how to structure work, how to do that, how to prioritize and these things. So, that's what I wanted to know, if I'm right here. Thank you.

MARY WONG:

Tanzanica, you there?

TANZANICA KING:

I am sorry. I'm speaking and not clicking hard enough to actually be off of the mute. Thank you, Wolf. It sounds like we have a lot of input for these sessions and, Mary, I assume you'll be reaching out to the individuals to actually start getting people together to plan.

MARY WONG:

Yes, and thank you all for the ideas and suggestions. We certainly will get started as soon as we can.

TANZANICA KING:

Great. Are there any other comments or questions on this topic before we move on? Okay, then I think we can go ahead and go to the next slide.

I did just want to recap a little bit about technical and language services.

We do have two guides for participation in progress. One will be for

English-only sessions and another for sessions with interpretation. We'll get these published before the prep session begin, so that should be sometime in the first week of June and we'll definitely be sharing those with you as soon as they are available.

And looking at the schedule, we currently have 39 sessions already submitted. I'm anticipating probably about 12 to 15 more, so we should end up right around 50, which is, I think, a good number for this meeting. And if we look at this, it's good because I see a lot of no conflict places, so where GNSO seems to be starting early in the morning, GAC's not starting until after that, so, from my perspective, I think this looks good. Obviously we're going to have a much easier time avoiding conflicts in this type of a format, so I'm going send this out. I'll send these slides and this schedules out to you all right after the call. And be sure to look at it because there's no reason we should have any issues with conflicts I would think. So, we should definitely pay attention and get those resolved if there is any.

So, Monday and Tuesday, we'll have that block four plenary session block. The GAC is meeting all day. We haven't gotten the DNSSEC workshop forms in yet, but I am anticipating that those are going to be in block two and three on Monday. And if we go ahead to the next slide, just looking at Wednesday and Thursday. Again, the GAC meeting all day, ccNSO having meetings in the morning and afternoon. And I'm sorry, I should've called out Tech Day, which was on Monday. And then Thursday, wrapping things up.

So, I'll be happy to answer any questions or issues or even conflicts that you see already here. Anybody have any questions? Sebastien, go ahead please.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Yes, thank you. I see and I understand why you are putting three main sessions, but I didn't recall that we totally closed the idea of having a community leaders policy forum session on the fourth day with the same schedule as the other in blue, the dark blue. I had the impression that it could've been very useful and I argued for that at the last meeting. It seemed that you [disagree] completely. Therefore, if somebody has taken the decision that it's not good, I am okay, but I want to be sure that we don't miss something here. Thank you.

TANZANICA KING:

Thank you, Sebastien. Were you referring to a public forum?

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Yes, but I didn't want to use this term because we discussed that it would be something a little bit different. But, yes, I will repeat: A community-led public forum will be acceptable [inaudible]. Thank you.

TANZANICA KING:

Thank you. I believe on the last call, that the third topic sort of evolved out of that. Are there any comments from anyone else on whether they think that covers it, whether they also want to see something separate on the schedule?

DAVID OLIVE:

Tanzanica, we were talking about this was kind of a merging of two or three concepts the last time around and that is why it looked to be in the format that we see it. We're talking about the Thursday block schedule, correct? The plenary?

TANZANICA KING:

Correct.

DAVID OLIVE:

Yeah. And that would be a chance for the Board, the Org, and the SO/AC leaders to talk about their work in general in this current environment and to exchange views and experiences as we are all confronted with this particular pandemic challenges. So, I think that was the thought there, and as Jonathan Robinson mentioned, that we're looking to it in the policy advice work since it is the policy forum, but it has larger implications of how we are working virtually, how is that going, some of the challenges with that, and I think that might be of general interest to all as we have to plan our programs and plan our work. And I think that was the general consensus last time.

TANZANICA KING:

Thanks, David. Sebastien, go ahead.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Thank you. I didn't feel that it was a consensus, David, but that's okay. Once again, the definition of consensus seems to be different from one group to another. But at the end of the day, what I tried to argue last time is that we need to have a space where we would allow the participant, and particularly the participant from the region and the newcomer and all that type of people to be able to talk and not to be one topical meeting, but more open. That's why I still consider that something led by the leaders of our community and open to any topic.

And I know we are in the policy forum, but we are in a virtual policy forum. That means that some parts could also evolve and I suggest that we put something like that at the fourth day where it's still available at the [inaudible] time. Thank you.

TANZANICA KING:

Thank you, Sebastien. I wonder if this is something that we could also address, especially in terms of newcomers and stuff, during one of the prep sessions. I don't know whether that's a great idea or not, David and Mary, but that's the first thing that comes to mind for me. Mary, go ahead.

MARY WONG:

Thanks, Tanzanica, and I guess you sort of read my mind. As David said at the beginning of the call, the schedule for the prep sessions is still coming together. The dates are set basically 8th or 9th of June to the 18th and sometime in between that. So, we may see some of the types of sessions that you might more typically see in a physical meeting move into prep sessions for various reasons.

Particularly, if it's something for a newcomer, it may be easier to do that as a prep so that they know what to expect at the meeting. I don't know yet what that final schedule will look like. We have different functions. We're talking about what might make sense for them. And in respect of this particular schedule, it sort of goes hand-in-hand, in that this schedule at the moment shows you the community requests that we've received. These are obviously the ones that are a primary importance and concern to gather the plenaries. So, we expect that there may be a few ICANN Org sessions that could cover some of the suggestions that some of you have made either within the ICANN 68 schedule or as part of the prep session.

So, as a point of information and background, I hope that's helpful and we hope to have those details in the next iteration of this schedule and of the prep sessions.

TANZANICA KING:

Thanks, Mary. Sebastien go ahead please.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Okay, this is my last intervention. We don't about the same thing, but you want to have the last word, you will have it, but I still consider that we need to open this meeting during the week of the meeting to an open forum and that's not [answering] to do something before for a few people or after, it's not the same thing. Thank you.

TANZANICA KING:

Thank you, Sebastien. Are there any other comments or questions related to that topic?

Okay, the last thing we have to look at here before any other business is just our production dates. As you can see, we are on the 14th here in yellow. Most of the forums are already in for the schedule, as you've seen, so that's really great. But the final deadline is the 18th. After that, I will send out a schedule for you all to look at, again, to make sure there's no conflicts or changes, and we'll have a good week to do that. And then we will be getting ready to post the schedule by the 1st of June. If we're ready to post earlier, we may do that. So, then we'll be ready to go and just focus on planning those sessions.

Next, David, we can move to any other business.

DAVID OLIVE:

Very good. I think Mary had a comment for any other business, and then others might. Mary?

MARY WONG:

I do, very brief and not a huge topic. It's just a follow up on an email that David sent to I believe this list about activities that your groups may be planning or thinking about particularly if they have a regional focus. If you are thinking about that, we will really appreciate it if you can let me know so that we have that information that we can share and so that we have a good sense of who is planning what for a nice totality of ICANN 68. Thanks, David.

DAVID OLIVE: Thank you, Mary. If you could help me, if there are any other hands on

any other business?

TANZANICA KING: No hands.

DAVID OLIVE: If not, we can give some time back to our busy colleagues and friends.

And with that, any other closing comments, Tanzanica? Mary?

TANZANICA KING: Nothing from me. Happy to give you all some time back and thank you

for jumping in and getting the schedule in. This has been well organized,

everything has flown in nice and smoothly, so I appreciate that. And, as I

said, we'll get you a copy of the current schedule today and, again, a

copy early next week as soon as the forms close so you can see what the

final schedule is looking like. So, thank you very much.

DAVID OLIVE: Thank you, Tanzanica, and we'll also have the preparatory week

program in—at least it's the near final form—as people are getting to

put that in and the various other reports and documents that'll help us

successfully move forward for a virtual policy forum, the ICANN 68.

With that, I want to thank everyone for their time and participation and

input and I wish everyone a good evening, good afternoon, or good

morning wherever you may be. Thank you very much.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]