## SO-AC-SG Leadership Conference Call Thursday, 17 April 2014 @ 13: 00 UTC

David Olive: OK. We're waiting on members of the BC and the registry constituency. I see we have someone

from SSAC, NCUC, GNSO, ALAC; the registrars, thank you, James; IP, Kristina; ISP, Tony

Holmes; and RSSAC, Lars-Johan Liman.

Elisa Cooper: Actually, David, this is Elisa Cooper with the business constituency. I'm having a problem getting

into the Adobe Connect.

David Olive: Elisa, you are on but not on Adobe Connect.

Elisa Cooper: Yes, I'm on but not on the Adobe Connect.

David Olive: OK. I think that would be a good question. Are there other people on the call from registries

maybe, is Keith on, but not on the Adobe Connect?

Heather Dryden: David, this is Heather Dryden. I'm here from the GAC.

David Olive: Heather, thank you very much. Welcome.

OK, and then we'll note that Theresa Swinehart and Duncan Burns are in our Washington DC

office. Is Sally on the line yet?

Susie: She's not on the line at the moment.

David Olive: OK, if you see the agenda here, we had wanted to go through an update on NETmundial with

Sally Costerton. Then next with the NTIA stewardship transition and ICANN accountability by Theresa. And then I will talk about the SOAC high-interest topics for the London ICANN 50

meeting, and well as the multistakeholder Ethos award.

That is the agenda for the moment. If indeed, Sally is not on the line, maybe we could move to

change the agenda, and have Theresa start. Theresa, would you be agreeable to that?

Theresa Swinehart: Sure. That would be perfectly fine. Thank you.

David Olive: With that said, we start the recording. This call will be recorded and transcribed, so you can share

it with your members of your various stakeholder groups and advisory and supporting

organizations. And we also note that Fadi wanted to join us here today, but because of his travel schedule, he is in the air and is unable to connect on the rare airline that does not have that kind of

connection.

So with that, we thought we would provide these three topics for our briefings for you and for

members of your community.

With that, I would like to turn it over to Theresa. Theresa, would you please talk a little bit about

the NTIA stewardship transition and ICANN accountability processes?

Theresa Swinehart:

Sure. Sure, I'd be happy to. So, good morning, everybody. And it's great to participate on this remotely. So I'm just going to focus on these two areas. I'm not going to go over too much of the detail of what you're already aware of, because I think it's important for us to be able to have a conversation, as well.

But just to go over some aspects from the context standpoint, as I think most people are aware, on the 14<sup>th</sup>, the US announced its intention to transition the stewardship role of the IANA functions to the multistakeholder community and had ICANN to convene and facilitate a dialog in order to develop a proposal on how to achieve this transition.

I'm sorry about the sirens in the background. If they're too disruptive, I can put it on hold. We just have a—we're closed to a motorcade area in DC, so. OK, I think we're good. It seems to have passed. So sorry about that.

And so on the-- obviously in Singapore we had some very useful discussions and dialogs with the community and input around issues relating to the process, really focused on principles and mechanisms for what kind of process should be undertaken to develop this proposal, and the proposal itself, on how to achieve the transition.

With the feedback we've gotten from the Singapore meeting, we've prepared some materials, both a scoping document and then a proposed process document and a timeline, which really just focuses on different events that are occurring with the different organizations and stake-holder groups, and posted those for public comment and input for further discussion on the 8<sup>th</sup> of April. Those are now posted.

So what we look forward to is really getting some feedback on these. And again, this is to focus in on the process that would then develop the proposal itself. And a couple of areas, in looking at the process and the proposed approach. We've gotten feedback that a steering group or some sort of multistakeholder group that would be involved in facilitating and coordinating input received from some of the different areas, could be a useful approach. So that was outlined in the proposed process, and as was what that steering group might be consisting of and compiled from the different SOs and ACs and affected parties.

I've seen on the different discussion lists and some of the different feedbacks already, that there's some input and suggestions on how that might be modified or improved. So we certainly look forward to that and that should be provided into the input in the process and the public comment process for this.

The timeline again, there have been meetings identified that the different regional internet registries, ccTLD organizations, obviously the ICANN meetings and other groups are holding, it's not exclusive in any way. It was just to demonstrate that there is a lot of events where discussions are happening, as part of the overall dialog around this stewardship transition.

So that's where we are on the process. We're looking forward to getting the feedback. And then with that feedback, hopefully be able to define what the process is, and then move that forward and get that launched in time for either before London or at the London meeting.

Separately, I know that there's been a lot of dialog around how is ICANN accountable and does this transition have any impact on ICANN's accountability overall? And are there ways to look at strengthening existing accountability mechanisms that ICANN has and are there any gaps in those?

So with that, I know that there's been discussion and we started in Singapore, as well, in the afternoon session on how to address this in a way that also helps look at the concerns, and views that we've heard from the community dialogs. So we're just in the process of preparing some materials that will then get posted for looking at a separate process to examine ICANN's broader

accountability mechanisms, and whether any of these can or should be strengthened in any way in the context of also the IANA transition dialog that's occurring.

So hopefully, we'll have those ready to get posted within the next week, and get that process launched and underway as well.

So those are the two areas that I wanted to touch on. I'm happy to answer any questions or elaborate further. But David, I turn it back over to you and see how you want to move forward.

David Olive:

Yes, thank you. I think now would be a good time to engage in some questions, either for those in the chat to raise your hand and I'll take the list. Or for those on the call, but not on the Adobe Connect, I'm happy to also add you to the list.

Let's first start with people in the room. Is there someone who has a question for Theresa on the NTIA transition, as well as the accountability process?

There's James Bladel. James please? I recognize you.

James Bladel:

Thanks, David. And thanks, Theresa. I'll just go ahead and throw myself out there. So I appreciate the update. A couple of quick points or questions, and certainly would love to see registrars, and perhaps companies individually submit these items in the comment. But the first one is—I think the proposed—the viability of the plan that was proposed is really going to hinge on this steering committee idea. Not only the composition, but the selection process; I think that just the idea that something as averse and as large as the GNSO would have two folks being representative I think is probably an immediate thing that jumps out as something that needs to be looked at very closely, as well as the transparency of the selection process.

I think the last few—in the context of strategy panels and expert working groups, we want to make sure that that's an open and clear-cut process.

But I just wanted to really ask, Theresa, how do you know, as ICANN staff, how can you tell when you cross a line, perhaps, between facilitating the process versus kind of driving the process? Because I think that the latter part makes folks uneasy that ICANN is kind of writing its own governance of check here. And I think that--- how do you know, are there any clear-cut indicators where you say, this is something that we can do as staff versus this is something that really we need to recuse ourselves from and let the community take the lead on this?

I don't know if you have any thoughts on that.

Theresa Swinehart:

Thanks. I think these are really important questions. To your earlier, to the observations that you had on the proposed process, please make sure that those suggestions and approaches that you think could work, please make sure that those get put into the comment period. That would be very, very helpful, including ideas on how to improve it. I think that's essential.

As to your latter question, I think this is why it's so important that we have agreement on what the process is, and the concept of a steering group or what everyone calls it, and then how it's put together, again, based on the community input that's received on the draft, is very important. And of course there's no staff sitting on that. And so I think from ensuring that there's a process that will lend the additional transparency and clarity that this is the facilitation of a process, and that the facilitation of the process is along the lines of a multistakeholder approach, again with the selection and the participation of all the stakeholders in the role of the steering group.

So from that perspective, I think the comments that you have, providing that input will be very important, and that process and how we ensure that that process is run well. And by we, I don't mean staff. By we, I mean as a broader community input that's being received in order to make that run well, is an important part.

David Olive:

Thank you, Theresa. Any other questions or comments for Theresa at this stage? I see no hands in the Adobe Connect. Someone online?

OK. Theresa, thank you very much for joining this call. And of course, we'll have the recording and the transcription sent around and shared with others to provide further information that you've just given us. So we thank you for your time on this call.

Our next speaker we'll turn to is Sally Costerton. Sally, thank you for joining us. Sally will provide an update on the NETmundial conference that's coming up the latter part of April. And I'm happy to turn the floor over to Sally. Sally, please?

Sally Costerton:

Thank you, David. Can you hear me?

David Olive:

Yes.

Sally Costerton:

Good. OK. Well, you have some slides in the room. I'm not sure who's driving the slides.

David Olive:

Susie Johnson is driving the slides I think. So just let us know, and we'll move them for you.

Sally Costerton:

OK. You want to go to the next slide then. That would be great. Thank you. So what I'm sharing with you is a reasonably up-to-date internal briefing document that our Singapore team has produced for their stakeholder briefing. So if there is somebody on this call who's already seen this, I apologize. But it probably merits repetition.

So the NETmundial event is happening, in fact it starts on the  $23^{rd}$ , so for any of you who are attending, which I suspect is—thank you very much—I suspect is quite a few of you on this call, looking at the names in the room. Most of you will be traveling over the Easter weekend, and so the arrival of most of the delegates will be on Tuesday the  $22^{nd}$ , which is just a few days away, now.

The first thing I want to say is that this NETmundial briefing document, we thought you would find this useful. I should reiterate, ICANN is not running this meeting. But in the same way that we might provide the briefing document for the IDS, we thought this would be helpful for you, and happy for you to distribute this to your communities as you see fit. But it is very much just our interpretation of what we understand to be the key points.

So just to recap, in case you—actually, go to the next slide, please. Just in case you aren't aware of this, I think most of you have been quite heavily involved on the list and you probably are aware of it. But the conference is being put together using a committee structure in three key areas.

So what you can see—if you could just go to the next slide, please. Thank you. What you can see on this picture is a black box -- that's what I can see, anyway. But what that should have on it is a picture of the high-level committee, which is composed of governments, and stakeholders from across the multistakeholder section. The executive multistakeholder committee, which some of you may even be participating in, and certainly this is the one that was put together somewhat with some teething pains at the beginning of the process, from the technical community, but also from the business and civil society and the (inaudible) of things from CGI.

And then the logistics committee, which has been co-chaired by Nick Tomasso, who most of you all know, who is the head of the meetings team at ICANN; and Hartmut Glaser, who is running CGI day to day.

So that's the way it's been put together. There are four meeting Chairs, one from the technical community which is Ivy (ph), from the business sector and the private sector, Jeanette (ph) from

the civil society and one from academia, and Virgilio Almeida obviously overseeing the entire conference.

So if you want to go to the next slide, the agenda, the key and heavy-lifting of the multistakeholder. Does anybody—can you see this? Because I can only see an Adobe logo here. Is it just me in the room? Can anyone else see the slide?

Unidentified Participant: There's been a little a problem on this one. We're sorry.

Sally Costerton: OK.

Susie Johnson: Some of the text did not come through on the Adobe—on the PDF, which is (inaudible).

Sally Costerton: OK. Oh, there it goes. Right. We've got the agenda. Well done. You wanted to go back a slide.

That's it. Actually, you could go back one more slide, sorry.

So the first thing to say is, all I can say is that the work on the outcome adoption and the work on the agenda and initially that work on the invitation strategy, was done primarily by the EMC, supported by the secretariat which is run by Daniel Fink, as you probably know. And so that group—the reason I'm mentioning that is that the decisions that have been made about the agenda, and about the draft documentation have been made very much using a multistakeholder process. And that's worth reiterating. That's certainly my perception of it, our perception of it.

Now it is only a two-day meeting. So there's an enormous amount to get done in two days, and many people have commented on those sort of—how challenging the nature of that is. And part of the way of making that easier is to handle registration the day before. So that will happen in the afternoon of the  $22^{nd}$ .

So could you go to the next slide, please? Now my understanding is that there are a number of activities going on in Sao Paulo—no, no. Sorry, the one before that which has the full agenda on it. You've gone on too far. Perfect—you had it there, but it disappeared again. I want the one that has the agenda for the  $22^{nd}$ . Thank you.

Best fit, I know civil society are having a meeting. Bill, I think you're on the call, on the  $22^{nd}$ , for example, and there are a number of other kind of side meetings that are going on, on the day before the conference starts itself, which one of you know that will be involved it.

On the  $23^{\rm rd}$ , what you've got here, this agenda is now being put out on the 1Net list and I think it may now be on the NETmundial website. But this—

Operator: Hello?

Michele Neylon: Are we all muted?

Unidentified Participant: Lehman (ph) is still here and I thought I heard Michele, right?

Michele Neylon: I'm here.

I wasn't here. But I am here now. We can talk amongst ourselves. Anybody got any good jokes about technology and why it doesn't work?

David Olive: Yes, I will try to reconnect with Sally. I'm sorry. Her line dropped.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Quick question – it's Olivier here. Is anybody able to see the working session which I believe

would be one and two, the first day? Because at the moment we're stuck on this slide which has

got session three and whatever—four. And when I looked at the original PowerPoint that was sent to everyone, it doesn't show (inaudible).

Sally Costerton:

Sorry. I do apologize. For some reason, I was suddenly cut off. Can you hear me now?

David Olive:

Yes, Sally. Please proceed.

Sally Costerton:

Sorry. I don't know what happened. It just cut me off. Now what I'm not sure is exactly which sessions will take place on which day. So I think there was a slightly later version of this agenda that's just come out from that we're looking at today, which some of you will have seen. But what you can see here is the basic building blocks.

So the morning session on the first day, will be largely taken up, I think, with introductions with ministers, making-- and other key stakeholders making statements and so forth.

The afternoon—there's something missing from this. I do apologize. There's something wrong with the—there's something wrong with the way the Adobe thing is coming up. Let me just see if I can get a better version of this.

David Olive:

The one sent around, is that better?

Sally Costerton:

It might be. I'm just looking for the latest version of the agenda that's come out on the 1Net message. It's not on these slides. And I think it might be better to use that -- just one second.

I can't find it. Let me come back to the agenda. I do apologize. Because I thought this was all on this slide deck, but I don't think it is.

Let me go back—let me--I'll come back to the agenda in a minute, I think. Let me go onto the next section which will show you the format in the room. OK? Thank you.

So the key point about this, to communicate about this is that—thank you—that we will combine the discussion in the room with the discussion at the hub. There are 33 cities who are on remote—who have a remote hub set up, which has been set up by different partners in the community.

And they will—not all of them will be able to have a two-way dialog with the room. But some of them will be able to. And that's what you can see on this graphic here. And there will be an opportunity for the remote participants to talk into the room, which is obviously not what we would do in a normal web streaming environment. You'd be able to communicate with remote access and other people will be able to do that, too.

But we will have conventional—they will have conventional remote access set up, as we do at ICANN meetings and we do at the IGS. But in addition, they will be able to bring people in directly from the remote hub. And this of course will require quite a lot of careful chairing in order to make sure that there's a balance of contribution from the people in the hub and the people in the room.

And you can see that each of the sessions on the not terribly good agenda—what I'm going to do after the call is just send you the most updated agenda I've got. I think it's going to be a lot easier. But what you can see, the sessions on principles and frameworks have been set up and co-chaired with supporters in order to try and make sure that they can manage that dialog effectively.

Could I have the next slide, please? So this is just showing you the backdrop of the ballroom. There are 800 people. There are seats for 800 in the Hyatt ballroom. This is about the same size as a typical ICANN meeting opening ceremony venue. We usually have between 800 and 900 people in an ICANN opening ceremony. So that's sort of the size you should expect.

OK, next slide? Ok, next slide? Right. In terms of where the input has come from, it's probably quite important that you know this. It has been, it's come from all over the world. As you know, we've had about 180 submissions of interest. And they've come from all over the world, geographically, but also across the stakeholder groups.

Now those clearly vary from region to region. But it has been a very broad contribution. Next slide, please?

Now in terms of one of the things that the committee I know was concerned about, and a lot of people in the ICANN community were concerned about, was that they were going to be very oversubscribed with people who wanted to attend the meeting. It's just going to cause a big problem.

As you can see, it has in fact not been too bad. So it's a good balance of participation here across different stakeholder groups, quite a strong participation from government, which I think everybody was expecting. And not because there should be more of that than any other group, but it's really about making sure that different countries are represented.

And as you can see here, there are 66 countries attending and 27 ministers. And this is the latest count. There may be a few more as it finishes up over the weekend. Next slide, please?

This just shows you where the countries, different groups, have submitted content, submissions. And some of them have been extremely public, which you've seen on the list. Certainly there was one—a number of government ones have been quite public. Next slide, please?

This is, I think some of you have seen, many of you have seen the draft outcome document, so you're probably aware of this already. But you can see the issues that came up in this bottom-up process. In other words, what are the things that most people want to talk about? And over on the left-hand side, these topics- security, privacy, freedom of expression and support the globalization of IANA were very much in the top section. The role of government, not unexpectedly, is very high. The question of capacity building; how do we make sure there is true global engagement around the future of principles and framework?

So those are very much taken in mind as the EMC starts to draft the approach in the agenda. Next slide please?

I think you all know this is the goal. The goal is to produce an outcome document that expresses internet governance principles and a roadmap. Next slide, please?

One of the things I should have mentioned on the two slides ago, there were actually surprisingly few mentions of new organization in the original submissions. There has been a lot of debate about that on the list. But actually, when you look at what people put forward in terms of recommendations, it was very small amount, just something you need to be aware of.

Here you can see the link to the draft, internet governance—there's the draft principles. Could you go to the next slide, please?

It is all on the NETmundial website. Here you are. So they are taking comments on the draft outcome document, which I know people are quite active on at the moment, on the list, up until Monday. And that is just something to be aware of. Next slide?

In terms of logistics, we have sent out a list, as far as we being the ICANN staff, as far as we know, thank you all very much, those of you who have told us who you think is coming to the meeting from your community. We have to the best of our ability, put that into a single list, and shared with that all of you. So you should have had that from Renate in the last 24 hours.

In terms of private information, which would include phone numbers. That is available on the Wiki page. We're not sending out on Sharejet (ph), because that is an area where you have to register. But I think any of you who want to have access to that, know how to have it. And if you don't, let Renate know and she will make sure that you have it.

Staff will be there, obviously. Boards will be there. And we will, depending on what people want and how much time there is, we will try and have at least a list. I think we might—I don't know what people's views are on this call. But we could certainly either use one of the—we could set up a new list for this meeting if we wanted to be able to talk to each other during the meeting.

Bill is putting he hasn't received the list. Let me follow up on that. Because we have that, and you should get it today if you didn't get it yesterday, Bill.

I don't know whether people would find that useful, but we just have an email group for everybody that's on that ICANN community list, so that we can reach out to each other while we're there. If so, we can set that up.

OK, lots of people—a Skype channel is easier. OK. That's a good point, Bill. Right. Ok. We'll take that—the people that find the Skype channel easier or list media? Right, OK. I'm going to assume that we'll try and do both, OK? Depending on what your preferences are, and I will follow up on that immediately after this call. Next slide, please?

Yes, this is really about the remote hub, which I've mentioned. This will give us a great bit of reach, if you can see on this map. Much more so than we would do at a normal ICANN meeting, and I think there's two comments I would make.

One is, yes, Olivier, I agree. I think Skype is more immediate. There is a real opportunity for this meeting to be properly attended as internationally as possible. And this is incredibly important, I personally think, in terms of both the quality of the inputs at the meeting, but also the legitimacy at the output.

The second point I'd make, just as a purely observation, it's an interesting test to see how it works. Because one of the things that we are looking at within ICANN meetings is how to expand and what is the best way to expand our remote participation at ICANN meetings. So this is an interesting opportunity for us to take a look at how they're managing it. If it's something that goes really well, it could well be something that we can adopt as we move forward.

I think that's the last slide. Isn't it, Susie?

Yes, so what I need to do now, is send you the latest agenda as we have it, and I'm happy to take any questions. And if I can help and answer them, I will. And if I can't, I'll send them to Daniel and get them answered to you on the list.

Thank you very much, Sally. We have two people in the queue. And if others want to join them, I'm ready to do that. But Kristina Rosette, please, you're next.

All right. Thank you. Thank you, Sally. The IPC members have asked me to pose a very specific question regarding NETmundial. And more specifically, there have been a lot of rumors flying around about ICANN's financial contribution, what that's been allocated for, what the breakdown is between staff and non-staff, etc.

So what I would like to know is what has been ICANN's financial contribution. What has ICANN committed to contribute? Is that a direct contribution or is that money that ICANN itself is allocating? What it's earmarked for and to the extent that it is being used for travel support for attendees, what the breakdown is between ICANN staff and Board on the one hand, versus non-staff, non-Board members on the other hand.

David Olive:

Kristina Rosette:

I understand that you may not have access to that information immediately. But it would be helpful to have.

Sally Costerton: I don't. But I will take the question and come back to you.

Kristina Rosette: Thank you.

David Olive: Thank you, Kristina, you also had another question about remote participation outside of the hub

cities?

Kristina Rosette: Yes.

David Olive: Sally, do you know a little bit about that?

Sally Costerton: Yes. We'll be handling that through an Adobe remote dictation tool, sort of the same way that—I

saw we—we won't be, but the meeting organizers will be using, I think, the same system we do for

ICANN meetings.

So because the whole meeting will be (inaudible), which is not like an ICANN meeting or an IGF meeting. So what that means is, once your—it's more like being in the opening ceremony for an ICANN meeting. So questions will be taken into chat. Question will be taken for remote dictation. So you do not have to be at one of the remote hubs to participate, quite the opposite.

But if you are in one of the remote hubs, it will give you two benefits. One is you'll obviously have other people with you and that will no doubt enhance the experience. But also, you will be able to contribute with a remote camera link into the main meeting, if that makes sense. That's my understanding of the situation, anyway.

And I just found the latest agenda as well, which I can go through now, if you want me to, David.

Kristina Rosette: Thank you.

David Olive: Thank you. I think that might be good. There was interest in the latest agenda. So that might be

helpful, and then we can send it around after the call.

Sally Costerton: OK. I'll just forward it to you David, so just that you've got it. So right, OK. So April the 23<sup>rd</sup>, opening ceremony, 10:15 welcoming remarks by the Chair. 10:15 to 12:00, welcoming remarks

by Chair and dignitaries and (inaudible) I think were probably Dilma Rousseff will probably seek,

amongst others.

The panel will then take the meeting through the NETmundial goals. There will be lunch, and first post-lunch working session will be on principles. Topic one is human rights. Topic two is culture and linguistic diversity. Topic three, unified and un-fragmented space. Topic four,

security, stability and resilience of the internet.

4:30 to 6:30 working session two. It's the first roadmap session. And topic one is issues that deserve attention of all stakeholders in the internet governance future evolution. Topic two, issues

dealing with institutional improvement.

And the following day, starting between 8:30 and 10:30, the second working session on principles, which is topic five, open and distributed architecture. Topic six, enabling environment and innovation and creativity. Seven, internet governance process principles; and eight, open

standards.

And then from 11:00 to 1:00, the second session on the roadmap. Topic three, dealing with specific IG topics. Topic four, points to be further discussed for your NETmundial. And five, the way forward.

Then after lunch there will be a panel Beyond NETmundial, and a consultation with stakeholders around the transition of the stewardship and oversight of the IANA function. So there is an IANA consultation process, (inaudible), to your point, happening kind of at the end of the meeting.

I don't think this is final, as I said, but I think it's getting there. So I hope that's helpful. You can begin to get a sense of the kind of rhythm of the meeting.

Do you have any more questions?

David Olive:

We do have two other people in the queue. James Bladel is next, and then Olivier Crepin-Leblond. James, please.

James Bladel:

Thank you, David. Thank you, Sally. A quick question and maybe it's not answerable in this setting, but is ICANN's role at this conference to be to—and I'll put it crudely here—to defend the IANA process that was laid out by NTIA? Or are you simply in a receiver mode to receive new ideas and new feedback?

And then what happens if the outcome of the NETmundial are completely incompatible with NTIA's proposed transition? Where does ICANN's priority go? Do they just jettison the current path they're on and adopt the NETmundial's outcome, or try to reconcile the two? I'm just trying to figure out how these two fit together.

Sally Costerton:

Well, it's a good question. I mean I can give you my personal opinion, as they say in ICANN-speak, in my personal capacity. My sense is the following. As you can see, there were an enormous amount of issues raised around IANA globalization in the submission process- 55-56. One of the largest topics on the request, if you will.

And then by the time—and then the US government made its announcement. So I think there was quite a debate in (inaudible) sense or amongst the organizing committee with—how do we handle it? Should we take it off the agenda completely? I mean the discussion and the conversation around the transition of the IANA oversight, or do we deal with it at the meeting? And if so, how do we do it in such a way that it doesn't overtake the meeting? Because this meeting was initially intended to be—the goal is about principles and frameworks and whilst the IANA function, or the IANA oversight may well have been discussed in that, it certainly wasn't intended to be a meeting about IANA.

So I think what looks to me has happened, is they've come up with a solution that says—well, we're going to deal with IANA, because if we don't then everybody will scream at us, because we can't kind of all go—we don't think it's realistic, given the amount of interest, to go to Sao Paulo, have a meeting about the future internet governance and not talk about it at all.

On the other hand, it isn't actually necessarily that central to the board or debate, to your point. So my sense is that they are, the way that cut it up, is put it at the end, so it can be treated as a standalone or relatively speaking standalone item.

It should mean that the Chairs can focus the rest of the time in the day and a half, on issues about other things, knowing that there will be a slot to discuss it on the second afternoon. That's the first thing I'd say.

In terms of what's happened and what is ICANN's role, well ICANN, I think in my perspective, is there in sort of two different capacities. On the one hand, we're participants in the internet governance ecosystem and so we're there in the same way that we'd be there if we were at IGF or

any other internet governance meeting. And so we're there to participate, as community members who are engaged in it.

And the second thing we're there to do is to facilitate in ICANN's ongoing role as a facilitator of the dialog around the oversight transition, a session, which is what Theresa was talking about, earlier on.

So that's just my understanding of ICANN's role. As to your question about what happens at the end of it, I honestly don't know the answer to that. And I'm not sure that it's necessarily that helpful to speculate, simply because I don't think anybody knows at the moment exactly—we don't know, because we haven't had the meeting. So we don't really know—is the outcome document that's being discussed at the moment going to fly? Is there going to be a lot of consensus around it? Is there going to be a lot of disagreement around it?

I mean we'll have more of a sense of that as we go into the NETmundial meeting itself, perhaps by the time we get to Sao Paulo. But I think it's still very unknown how straightforward that discussion is going to be, and where the debate about the oversight of the transition fits, if at all.

So I think we'll have to see. Sorry to sound so vague. I don't normally like being vague. But I think it's just I don't think anybody knows at the moment. What I can say, is that in the role that ICANN will take facilitating that discussion; that dialog, on the Thursday. And ICANN will not be the only people there. There will be other people facilitating that debate, the other affected party.

That is a neutral process. I mean facilitating anything is a neutral process.

David Olive: Thank you, Sally.

Sally Costerton: As far as the debate—the debate will have to be held in scope, I should make that point. So

whoever handles the facilitation, whether it's ICANN people or ISOC people or anybody else, part

of the job as facilitator is to fix the scope of the project.

David Olive: And that was linked to Jonathan's question in the chat about ICANN's staff facilitating at

NETmundial. Does that answer your question, Jonathan?

Sally Costerton: Let me just check I've got the question, right. Hang on. Yes, I'm not sure we'll actually

specifically do the facilitation, Jonathan. I don't know at the moment. I don't actually think anybody knows. Theresa might know, but I don't know. I don't know if Theresa is still on the

call.

Theresa Swinehart: Yes, I'm on the call.

Sally Costerton: Are you happy with what I just said about the facilitator? I'm sorry, you were still on. You could

have answered better than me.

Theresa Swinehart: No, no, no. Not at all, not at all. The opportunity to have a dialog on the IANA transition and the

ICANN globalization aspect is one that we want to ensure it's prepared in such a way that it's providing information and facilitating the dialog. So we'll probably look at a model similar to what we've done in Singapore. But Sally, as you had noted, we've just gotten the information and now need to think through and reach out, obviously, to folks on this call and to others to look at how to facilitate that in the best way possible that's useful for the audience there, as well.

So I think you answered it absolutely from that standpoint, and we'll look at ensuring that that's done in the right way. And what I'm not clear on actually, is just where it is on the agenda. It does look like it's on the second day in the afternoon now.

Sally Costerton: (Inaudible) stand at the moment, so the agenda within the Adobe pack that I just sent, I think is

actually wrong. So the one- it's all out of date. Because it had it on the first day, and I think it's on

the second day, now.

Theresa Swinehart: Exactly. And just to be clear, the reason for looking at having a session and facilitating it is

because of the strong interest, obviously, and the opportunity to reach out to another audience and another group of stakeholders that may not necessarily be involved in the discussions of the regional internet registries or the cc community or the GNSO or ccNSO or ICANN itself, and so it's part of a broader outreach in ensuring that there's awareness of the respective processes.

Sally Costerton: Theresa, Jonathan's making a point in the chat. I don't know if you can see it—that it will still be

in the public comments, period. I don't know if you want to comment on that. It's a good point.

Theresa Swinehart: Absolutely. And again, it's awareness. Again, the feedback and input to the draft proposal and the

draft proposal for the process, is absolutely important that it's provided into the comment period which closes on May 8<sup>th</sup>. So this is not to predetermine anything whatsoever, just to facilitate dialog and engage in discussions among parties that are interested in the topic. Nothing more than

that.

David Olive: Thank you. We have a question from Olivier, you're next.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: Thank you very much, David. This is Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking, and I actually have two

questions. The first question one is the format of the conference itself and the way the discussions will take place. I note with interest, the whole day being sliced up in different topics. But the deliverables of this whole conference are I guess, two things- the outcome document of the internet governance principles and the roadmap for the further evolution of the internet

governance ecosystem, which leads me to believe that the document itself is going to be what's on

the table.

Are we looking at a going through the document, line by line, topic by topic, like a wicket with

square brackets and so on? Is that the format that will be used?

Sally Costerton: I don't know the answer to that, Olivier. But let me—I have the same question, myself. We've

literally only seen the draft agenda in the last sort of 12-24 hours and it's been so recent, that we're

just trying to digest ourselves—so okay, so how is all going to work?

So let me—that's one of the questions that I will get to Daniel, and I'll get an answer back to you on this list. So it's a great question, and I simply need to get clarity on that as soon as we possibly

can

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: So thanks, Sally. It's Olivier, again. So my second question is equally as simple. There are four

microphones, civil society, private sector, academia, and technical--sorry—no I'm getting this wrong. The microphone is AT and TC (ph), gov and INGO (ph), business sector and civil society. But when you look at the list of attendees, you'll find that there were 52 people that registered as

other. Where do the other speak?

Sally Costerton: I don't know.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: And it's a serious question, in that I think I might be one of the other people, because I have a

business, so I am business sector on one hand, and I'm also an ICANN and also am an ISOC, so it's where do people who wear multiple hats speak? Do they just go and wander from microphone

to microphone? It's just very bizarre.

Sally Costerton: It's a really good question, and I will ask Daniel the same question, because I don't answer. Sorry,

I don't know the answer to these things, although essentially there's no reason why I should. But

it's a very good question- where do the others speak?

OK. I'll draw up that question, too. So I've got three follow ups. Just to summarize, I'm going to do the Skype group and the email contact, who's coming list. I will ask the questions on the financials for Kristina. The question on the-- how is the process going to work, are we going to go through the document line by line, and where do people who are others speak? Okay?

David Olive:

Thank you very much. Any other questions. There are no other hands up in the Adobe Connect. Those who are not on Adobe Connect, do you have one last question?

OK. We thank Sally and also Theresa for participating on this call. We'll now move to the next part of the agenda, which is basically looking at and to remind the SO-AC and stakeholder leaders of the high-interest topics for London and ICANN 50. Again, we'll be sending a communication around to the group to identify and help facilitate that process, to identify what topic or topics you may want to select for the Monday session at ICANN50, similar to what we did in Buenos Aires and as we talked about the recent ICANN meeting in Singapore where we gave over to the cross-community working group on the internet governance, that session time.

So I just wanted to remind you that we will be starting that process and just for you to be aware of that and be prepared for the communication that we will proceed to send to you shortly. With that, I would open it up for questions and I see Michele has his hand up in the Adobe Connect. Michele, please and I see Jonathan Robinson is talking as well. Michele?

Michele Neylon:

Thanks, David. Yeah, I think—I'm just trying to actually find the schedule from Singapore now, just to have a quick look at it. Because there was quite a bit of backwards and forwards around this entire session thing, this high-interest topic. I mean the high-interest topic session, I think in Buenos Aires, it was straight after the opening ceremony. It wasn't straight after the opening ceremony in Singapore, because that was taken over by the IANA session.

The cross-community working group had a session later in the day, or am I missing something?

David Olive:

No, that is correct. The issue is, as always for the Monday sessions, Michele, it's hard to pin down the timing depending on what other topics are coming up and vying for those time slots.

Michele Neylon:

The problem, David is, that with all due respect, I mean the problem is that quite a few of the SO and AC leaders agreed on what we thought should be the most suitable topic to discuss, and a lot of us were quite clear about what we wanted to do with that time. Now I do realize that there was stuff happening behind the scenes. But I think Olivier and others, who were involved in those discussions, we found it quite frustrating that we were asking for something, and it wasn't very clear what the hell was going on with it.

David Olive:

I take the point. And the question was- what time slot in particular would be allocated? And we were still adjusting that schedule and could not work that out soon enough to answer that question. But again, we're starting the process early. We will try to find out what time slots are available, and make those available or at least to the preference of the SO-AC Chairs, as to when on Monday they would want their special high-interest topic or topics to be covered.

The questions in the chat relate to the GAC high-level meeting on Monday as well. And we might want to consider changing the date of when the GAC can attend, so not to exclude them. A very good point, again, that high-level meeting is scheduled for Monday, but the timing of which is still being worked out. We should also make that a point to recall and make sure that we don't time it in such a way that that GAC members cannot attend.

I'm sorry. That was Kristina Rosette. Excuse me. Thank you, Kristina.

Any other questions? Let me make the point about the allocation of time and well taken, we will try our best to do that as best we can, considering the topics and the timing. But thank you for that comment.

Are there any other questions relating to the high-interest topic session that we will begin circulating communication to you and beginning our work on that?

OK, in the last few minutes left before our time is up, I wanted to focus again attention on something that was started back in Bueno Aires when Fadi announced the concept of a new community award called the Multistakeholder Ethos Award.

And in January, the staff produced a public comment forum, describing this pilot concept and asked for community inputs and some of you have commented on that and we appreciate that. ICANN will soon be opening the nominations period for this award that will likely run about a month, through mid-May, and the selected winner or winners of the award will be presented and announced at the ICANN50 meeting in London.

Again, to remind people, this award is to recognize community members who have served in leadership roles in multiple ICANN working groups or committees, and demonstrated that collaboration with those different supporting organizations and advisory groups.

So in many ways, it recognizes participants who have been deeply involved in the consensus state solution, and that of course is the importance of our multistakeholder model in internet governance.

So we thank community members for your comments in the forum and the nomination announcement will stress that the award recognizes this service of members to the community and to our ICANN work. And so we will be sending a note around to you, because we would like you, the community leaders, to select the panelists from your SOs and ACs, who could be responsible for evaluating and selecting the winners.

And we would expect maybe two or three calls for these panelists in the selection group to discuss and select the winners. So we are finalizing the process and we want to give you a good idea of timing, so we're looking for appointments to this selection panel from each of you around the end of this month, the end of April, and we are considering about two or three reps from each of the supporting organizations and advisory committees.

So I just wanted to alert you to this. Please watch your mailbox, and we will have a discussion to help move this pilot effort forward, as we'll be of course, learning a little bit about this process. But we thank you for your cooperation in trying to make this a meaningful and significant recognition of those in the community who have served long-standing in the leadership, in support of our work at ICANN.

So with that, I will stop and ask if there are any questions of me, for this multistakeholder Ethos awards. We're beginning that process, as well as I thank you for your comments on the SOAC high-interest topic and the issue of being sensitive to time on Monday so that people can be involved, and it has the attention that you want to give it for the community to participate in.

So are there any questions at this stage?

I see there is some discussion in the chat about the high-level meeting with the GAC and I thank Heather for providing some information and we will of course try to send a draft agenda as early as we can. And we thank you for those comments.

Michele, your hand is up, please?

Michele Neylon:

Yeah, David. I'll keep it very brief. I'm just very conscious of the fact that a lot of us are already quite overloaded, between—well, I think most of us have day jobs and there's a lot going on between this Brazil thing, the CWG, registries and registrars, I'm dealing with onboarding all new TLDs and everything else.

I mean I would—if you're going to be asking for volunteers for something like this Ethos award thing, I'd recommend and urge you to put out that call for volunteers as soon as possible, because I'm looking at what's going on between now and the London meeting and it's not quiet, is probably the best way of putting it. Thanks.

David Olive:

Thank you very much, Michele. Again, that's a point we're sensitive to, and that's why we would hope that the SO-AC Chairs can designate two or three that might be able to support it, or one or two if you could do that. Again, to spread that burden, if you will, yet have that representation of the various SOs and the ACs.

But we will work on this. We hope to get something out sooner, so that you can plan that properly, and work out the one or two meetings of the selection committee to do that, hopefully, with the end result, the awards being announced in London at ICANN 50.

With that, we are two minutes over. I would just open it up to any other questions for me. The next scheduled call that I'd like to draw your attention to is in May. The exact date, let me get that, is May 29<sup>th</sup>. And we, of course, are scheduling to have Fadi on that call.

We do appreciate the wonderful attendance of all the SOs and ACs and stakeholder leaders today, to be able to share with you information, both from Theresa on the NTIA transition process; and with Sally Costerton about NETmundial; as well as myself for the awards and our SOAC high topics.

And with that, we will follow up with all of you, making sure that you get the latest agenda of the NETmundial, and follow up on some of the questions that you raised to some of our other executives that will provide answers to you.

Again, we will have this transcribed and recorded and posted. I'll send that around to you as well. And we'll also send, with that, those notices of the latest NETmundial agenda. If we have that sooner, I'll do that of course, as quickly as possible, soon after this call.

With that, I would like to thank all of you for your time and attention to these topics. And we're looking forward to working with you on all of them. For those who are traveling to NETmundial, I wish you safe travels and a successful and productive meeting.

With that, I'd like to call the meeting to close, reminding that our next one will be May 29<sup>th</sup> with Fadi and other executives from ICANN, and of course the SO, AC, and SG leaders. So thank you again for your participation. And I'll be sending emails to you shortly, to update you on the materials we talked about on this call. Thank you so much.

Unidentified Participant: Thanks, David.