

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Hello everyone. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening. This is the ATLAS II Event Sub-Group call on the 6th of December 2013. It is now 16:10 and we will start the Agenda. Do you agree with this Agenda, even if I would like to change it a little bit? We were supposed to find an agreement on the themes for the Summit, but that's not done yet, so we can't use that for our Events Sub-Group. But we can keep it like this and then discuss it. Are there any comments on the Agenda?

Okay, so we'll go ahead. Point #2 of the Agenda is the roll call. Julia, can you please do the roll call?

JULIA CHARVOLEN: Thank you Tijani. Welcome everyone. On today's call we have Tijani Ben Jemaa, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Eduardo Diaz, Sandra Hoferichter, Wolf Ludwig and Matthieu Camus. We have apologies from Christopher Wilkinson, Sivasubramanian Muthasamy, Roberto Gaetano, Baudouin Schombe and Jordi Iparraguirre. From Staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Carlos Reyes and myself, Julia Charvolen.

May I please remind all participants to please state your names before speaking for transcript purposes? Thank you and over to you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much Julia. Now we'll go to Item #3 of the Agenda, which is the main point normally; the definition of the themes for the

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

London Summit. The definition of the themes of the London Summit should be done collectively and not by a single group. It is something that we have to agree on all together. Yesterday during our ATLAS II Organizing Committee Meeting, we found that there was a misunderstanding about this point, because people thought that the analysis done by each of us was sufficient to define the themes, that they're there. But the themes are not there and we need them.

So I plan to have an idea about the themes so that we can put them in the schedule that we proposed a few months ago, and that people comment on it and I introduce the comments of our colleague in the project. Now we have the version of the 14th of May with the comments in, but we don't have the themes yet. Yesterday we decided that the themes should be done by the Survey Sub-Group, and proposed to the whole Committee, so that the Committee will agree on the final themes to be addressed.

That's why today we can't decide on those themes and we have to wait for the themes are defined. Yes, Wolf, you have the floor.

WOLF LUDWIG:

Thanks Tijani. Well, I slightly tend to disagree, again, as I noted yesterday. I think we have a clear list of topics of interest; priorities according to the preferences, which were expressed via the Survey. If you have a look at this document I circulated again yesterday, which is called... It's an .xls file... We clearly have, from top-down, ICANN's

transparency and accountability, the future structure and governance of ICANN, etc., IPv4, IPv6, new gTLDs, etc.

So we clearly have this priority that people had the choice to rank the subjects between their top and least preference, between one and five, and we have the ranking of those key topics of interest. According to this I think the selection of topics for ATLAS II could be made. As I learnt yesterday, you are expecting something different. I do not see that the Survey Sub-Group, as such, will deliver such a result. So the only thing I can offer is I will make a proposal over the weekend, based on these key topics of interest, and I'll provide another input of what could be a basis of discussion for your group. Thanks.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thanks very much Wolf. That's exactly what I am wanting from you, and I'd like to tell you that this ranking is very clear. It's objective. This is something we can use very easily, but the problem is not there; the problem is in the "others", and with "others" you have a lot of ideas, and I think that we don't have to undermine or underlook an idea from a single person, if the idea is important – if we collectively judge that this is a good subject to address.

This is the plan. The question I spoke about yesterday... I said also that we have to include the future of Internet governance and the multistakeholder model. This is a subject that is discussed now in ICANN and I think we need to discuss it and to give our point of view on it. Wolf, please?

WOLF LUDWIG:

Yes, I think we still have a problem with the presentation of the final result, as we repeatedly said. The Survey results were unfortunately not presented as they were in 2010; in a clear and consistent manner that gave us a quick overview about key priorities. Different people of the Survey Sub-Working Group had to spend some additional time to bring the results together. Under these conditions, I think a lot of useful detail may get lost.

But I believe once we have a draft of an idea or of a compilation of key subjects, everybody who's interested still has a chance to raise his or her hand and say, "But I suggested, by the way, another subject," and to feed in. So it will be a discussion process. It will remain a bottom-up process, so that anybody who has keen and consistent interest, to contribute besides the Survey, has the chance to step in and make up his or her mind. Thanks.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much Wolf. That's exactly what I want and what I mean. Eduardo please?

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Are you saying that... Are you saying, Tijani, that we need to add something on the Internet governance and this

multistakeholder/multilateral theme that's going to happen in [inaudible 09:39]? I agree with you on that.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Okay, thank you very much. Thank you Eduardo. So it's clear now that Wolf will propose soon a list of themes and the list of themes will be proposed to the whole Organizing Committee to comment on it by email, so that we can use it in our Sub-Group and elaborate the final agenda that will be proposed for the ALAC to approve. Is that okay for everyone? Okay. Thank you Eduardo. Very well.

Now, coming back to the schedule. You have in front of you on the Adobe Connect, the last version, the 14th of May, of the proposed schedule. This proposal we discussed with staff, about the maneuverability. I met, in Buenos Aires, a new Turkish staff member in charge of the meetings, and I discussed with him... He had a paper with things written on it and we discussed it. I got from him that we will have, Saturday and Sunday, five meeting rooms with interpretation for two rooms. Those rooms are for 14 persons each, and one large room of 200 persons.

Until this point I was very... He said, "I cannot confirm definitely those rooms because I have to go to London in January and after that I can give you the final decision." That was very good for me. I was very happy. Then Nancy came and when we told her about what we said she said, "No, we cannot say that. We cannot confirm anything because first we have to go to London."

“Secondly, we need to get the requests of the other constituencies because there won’t only be ALAC.” So it was as if you were flying and then you lost your wings. It was a real catastrophe for me. I explained that very well to Olivier and to yesterday’s call. I will write a clear email to the Meeting Staff explaining that, “These are our needs. Please confirm ASAP. We cannot wait much longer.”

This is the first step. I will make Heidi follow up with me on this, because now we can’t wait. I don’t think we can go any further if we don’t have the final room allocation. So, if I trust in him, for Saturday and Sunday we will have five meeting rooms of 14 people each, with interpretation for two rooms, and one large room for 200 persons. This is very good. This is what we requested and this is what we have on this scheduled proposal.

If this is confirmed I think we can go ahead, because after that we will not have a need of five meeting rooms simultaneously. I want to tell you that when we say “five rooms” that means that we will have five groups. That means that we will need five themes only. If we have six themes we will not be able to deliver them. We will not be able to discuss them and break down groups.

So, this is the only elements I have regarding the room allocation. I hope we will have better information in the future. As I told you, I will write to the Meeting Staff explaining all of that, with a copy to Olivier and a copy to Eduardo and a copy to the Staff. Are there any comments on that? Eduardo please?

EDUARDO DIAZ: It's my feeling that the idea of sending the email is great, because it will put it on the record that we need this information soon, but I still think... I have a perception that we'll have to wait for them to go to London. But at least they'll know what we need. I have a question: the total number of rooms will be six, if we include the plenary room, right?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, for the two first days, yes.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Looking at the document that's in the Adobe...

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: One moment please, I think that they counted the large room as one of the five rooms, because they told us they have two rooms with interpretation. One of them is the big room.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, so there are five rooms?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, five rooms.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. I have a question to do with the document that's right there in the Adobe. For the Sunday timeframe, is this going to be the whole day – it's going to be only parallel sessions, right? There will not be a plenary during that day?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: For Sunday, because since we have the small rooms we have to use them, and we will not have them after that. We need to finish the work of the groups and to prepare. We need to prepare our reports. As you know, we will have a declaration at the end, and the declaration will be the compilation of each group's report.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. So, there will not be any plenary on Sunday, but we can provide comments to that later on, when we get more...?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Sure. As you see, the following days I put something very general. I didn't put precise things, except for the General Assemblies, because we have to do them when we have the five rooms. I put them on Sunday, at the end of the day. Two hours for each RALO to make its General Assembly. But for the other days it's general. We can swap and change from one place to another; that's not a problem.

What is problematic is to get those simultaneous meetings and to get those simultaneous rooms. For the other days it's not a problem. We can change it. It will depend on what the community will want.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. I think we're going to get the five rooms. That's my feeling, so... We'll just have to confirm that. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, thank you. Olivier please?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Tijani. I'm looking at the schedule that you've put on the Adobe Connect; the ATLAS Events PDF. Looking at the Tuesday, it says here, "RALOs and At-Large Working Groups." Tuesday is community day so that's where we usually have our working sessions. Do you suggest replacing the working sessions by the RALO and At-Large Working Groups?

Because I understand you've moved the Sunday ALAC working sessions over to Monday, but I gather then that Tuesday we also need the working sessions, because that's when the ALAC meets with the GAC, with the Board, etc.?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. Olivier, as I said to Eduardo, it is a little bit general and we can change this and this... We can change this with this, it's not a problem. If you want, this schedule is especially to secure our simultaneous meetings. The other meetings we can change, no problem. We have to agree together on them, that's all. This is the first draft and it may be changed, no problem. What cannot be changed are the days where we have the five rooms for the groups. You have your hand still up, Olivier. Do you want to speak again?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I've put it down for a while. It takes a while. My Adobe for some reason is very slow, so I'm out. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No problem. Any other comments please? Okay, if there are no other comments on this point, we can go to #4, which is what we are doing now. Point #5 – next steps. Next steps are first... Heidi and Julia you can take this as an Action Item: Tijani to send an email to the Meeting Staff about the room allocation. This is tomorrow. Then... Go ahead Wolf.

WOLF LUDWIG: Sorry, I was muted and I couldn't step in earlier. It's more a question than a comment. As Olivier mentioned before, here on this document we have the events proposal from the 2nd May, updated on the 14th of

May. This gives an overview or structure for the Summit planning, but the document I'm supposed to do and will work on over the weekend, regarding topics and themes for the Survey, I will present them in another format.

I will not try and fill in the outcomes or the recommendations, the results from the survey, into this format. I think this can be done at a later stage, so I will provide the document in a different format. I will try to make some suggestions on what topic could be suitable for a main session, what topic could be suitable for a workshop session, etc. Afterwards that will be a second step; to bring this in line with the framework you've provided already. This was just, more-or-less, a question or a comment from my side. Thanks.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

That's exactly what we need. Thank you very much Wolf. Eduardo is agreeing with you so it's okay. Any other comments? Okay. Back to the next steps, I'm sending an email to the Meeting Staff. After approval of the themes that Wolf will give to the whole Organizing Committee, the establishment of the final agenda according to the themes approved, and also according to the input about the kind of session we will need. Those are the next steps for me. Are there any other comments? Eduardo please?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Tijani, our next Organizing Working Group call is going to be December 19th. Do you think that by time we will have... We can do this offline, but do you think we can have a very commented agenda for the week with the themes, so that we have something more substantial? So that we can say we have something that we can fine-tune from that point on, until we get to Singapore, where we'll really fine-tune it there?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Eduardo, I do think that for our next call, which I think is programmed for the 18th of this month, we need to agree on the final themes and the final form of meetings, or form of sessions. This must be agreed on the next meeting of the whole Organizing Committee. Then those must go to the ALAC to be agreed on, to be ratified. So I think that next month's ALAC call will be the date of the final approval of the final agenda of the Summit.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Two comments about that. One is, when we get to that call – it's not the 18th, it's going to be the 19th, it's going to be a Thursday – but once we get to that call we have to agree offline on what it is we're going to have a consensus on on that call, so we don't have to come up with things there, on the fly. That's one comment. That's my recommendation. Secondly, when we get to the ALAC final ratification, we should make a point that it's a final ratification, but things might change; to find things that we need to fine-tune.

The fact that ALAC will ratify it at one point in time doesn't mean that it might change by the time we get to London. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

I agree with you Eduardo, but when I say the “final”, it’s final for now. We will have something which is formal, which is now, after the ALAC ratification, something that we can account for as an official document. The official document can be updated – sure – if there is a new theme; if we change something, if there is some change, if there is a new subject, a very hot topic discussed within ICANN perhaps we can include it. So it can change, but we can say that we have an official document after the decision of the ALAC. That’s all.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Tijani, that would be great, because based on that, then we can go ahead and start working on the other logistics and things like that. That would be great.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Exactly. Thank you very much. Any other comments? Yes please?

WOLF LUDWIG:

Tijani, I left a question in the chat room.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Ah.

WOLF LUDWIG: I don't know whether I misunderstood what you said before about the timeline and the next call and that a program should be finalized in about a month. I don't know if this might be a little bit too ambitious or too tight; whether we shouldn't provide... Because we have to count this seasonal break, and according to my experience, from the end of December until the beginning of January, there will be at least two weeks when many of our people will be on seasonal holidays and not following, etc.

Therefore I think we shouldn't push too much to finalize the program outline for ATLAS II too early, and to provide a little bit more time for reflection and discussion. That's my opinion. Thanks.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I understand your concern very well, Wolf. Can we agree on two milestones? The first one is that the meeting of the 19th of December, of the whole Organizing Committee, agreeing on what you will provide this weekend about the themes and the format? This is something that can be done, I think. The second milestone will be the January ALAC meeting approving those themes and this format.

I think if we agree on those milestones we are not in disagreement. What is needed is work. What is needed is to first have the themes, and

you will provide them very soon. Then we'll have those themes so we'll need approval of the Organizing Committee, and that will be done on the 19th of December. Then during the ALAC Meeting we will propose this and we will try to find their agreement about it.

Wolf, my concern is to have an official document so that everything can start. Nothing can start if we don't have it. Everything can start; logistics... Everything; other activity related to the activity cannot start if we don't have that. Do you agree with me? Okay. Olivier please?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Tijani. Two things. First, on the finalizing of the ATLAS II program, I agree with you Tijani. The Survey is done, the analysis – I spent some time yesterday on the analysis and I think that we've actually got... I'll just need to put it all in one go. I think there's only one question that asks about the program itself and what our ALSes are interested in, and the subjects that have come out are pretty clear. That really shouldn't be more than a week's worth of looking at.

With regards to the ALAC ratifying those suggestions, that can indeed be done during the ALAC call in December, and so we can get things out of the way and on the rails by January. It would be completely impossible if, after having gone through a full consultation of all our of our ALS, it would be completely impossible to then build something and then go through a full consultation of our ALSes again, to find out if they agree with this. We've got the information at hand.

The At-Large structures had their chance to say what they had to say on building this agenda. Now it's part of this Working Group to build the agenda, and we've made enough calls out there for more people to join. Let's just get things moving forward. If we don't then there's not going to be enough time to actually do the work, by the time people arrive in London. That was one comment.

The other comment I was going to make was with regards to the parallel RALO General Assemblies on the Sunday. I have a concern about this, Tijani. I know this is a first draft and that's why I thought to immediately touch on this. 1700 to 1900, at the end of the second day, when they've started work at nine o'clock in the morning, is going to be pretty hard for the GA's, especially since I think some of the GA's might wish to be longer than a couple of hours. It really depends on the RALO.

So the suggestion is to let the RALOs decide on how long they want their GA's to be. Some RALOs might wish to have a six-hour GA. Some RALO might have a one and a half hour one. Let them choose what length of GA they want, and then we'll sprinkle those throughout the week. One of the reasons also for sprinkling those throughout the week is that you do need a mix throughout the week for the ALSes to work both on local issues, and on At-Large and ALAC issues. That would keep them more interested in attending every day.

I'll be very frank – the concern being that if there is a day where they don't see something that is RALO-specific, they'll just go out and see the sights. I'm not saying all of them will, I'm saying some of them might

suddenly think, “Well, there’s nothing that relates to RALOs specifically. Let’s just go out and visit.” That’s not what we’ve got our ALSes in London for. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much Olivier. Regarding the GA’s, I don’t think... I thought that it was interesting to have them during the time we have the five rooms, because we can make parallel GA’s. Why I thought it was better to make them parallel was exactly because we want the ALSes to be free to go and attend the other meetings of ICANN, and putting those GA’s at the end of the day, after all the other meetings have already finished; I thought this was a good thing.

But I agree with you that the RALOs may have other ideas, and we will not oblige them to do what we want, for sure. This program is a first draft and it’s in the absence of any other input. When we get other input we will change it accordingly. Just give us the input. Just make people give us the input. That’s all. We are conditioned by the availability of the rooms. This is a main point.

I think it’s a good thing to hold those GA’s during the first two days, because we will have interpretation in two rooms – which is very good for us because we need the AFRALO and LACRALO rooms to be interpreted; so that’s very good – and we will have, simultaneously, five rooms. So again, this is just a first draft and every comment is welcome. We will change the program as we receive comments and as we receive

agreed comments, because if only one wants to change something and the others don't agree then for sure, we will not change it.

This is something that we will do with great pleasure. You have your hand up Olivier. Do you want to comment?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes please Tijani. I was going to suggest, as a result of our discussion now, an Action Item, which would be for At-Large Staff to immediately get in touch with RALO leaders, to ask what their requirements are for their GA's that will take place in London. As a result, some might want just two hours, in which case it will probably be okay to run it on the Sunday. Some might want more time, in which case you'd probably be better to have it run some time in the week. So we could actually have a mix on the two. I think this should be solely with regards to the GA's.

With regards to the overall schedule... Let me get this straight. Get the RALOs to tell this Working Group what their requirements are for their GA. The second thing – and that's not an Action Item but that's for this Working Group to do then – is that once there have been a few modifications to this agenda, circulate it to the ALAC and to the Regional Leaderships, in order to get their feedback on it and make it available. That's all. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you Olivier. Yes, I totally agree with you. Please Olivier, remind me about your first remark?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: The first remark was to do with the Action Item, wasn't it?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: The Action Item was for Silvia to immediately get in touch with RALO leaders for their requirements for the regions' GA in London, including date and time. I don't think they need to include date/time, it's mostly how much time do they need. We don't really care about the date that they wish to do it. This group will work out the date afterwards. Duration, that's what we want.

The other thing was... I think that was it. The only other thing I did say was that when you have the parallel RALO GA's on one day, you have some days that don't have any RALO activity. This might signal to some ALSes that there's nothing for them to stick around for, and therefore they might go out and visit London rather than remain in the ICANN meeting.

I totally understand your point Tijani; that we are bringing them for them to take part in ICANN activities as well, but I think we'll probably

have to play this one quite cleverly and intermingle ICANN activities with activities for the RALOs themselves, and for the ALSes themselves.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much Olivier. Eduardo, please?

EDUARDO DIAZ: This is a question for Staff; Carlos or whoever's there. Is there a centralized section in the Wiki where we can look at these Action Items specifically for this Summit?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: May I answer? Normally Eduardo, the meeting's page will include the Action Items. Each meeting page will include the Action Items of that meeting, but if you want, we can ask Staff to put the Action Items on the Events Sub-Group Wiki page, so that it's available for everyone?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Well, Tijani, I was looking more for a centralized place, maybe categorized by sub-group. Otherwise I'd probably have to go to each meeting and find out what the Action Items are. It would be better to look at one page for the Action Items for each meeting and sub-group; X, Y or Z, and individual pages so that I can try and put together some kind of timeframe of things to do. I want to make sure these Action Items are in there, so that we don't forget about them.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: You're proposing that Staff put the Action Items in the Sub-Group Wiki page?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Something like that. I can talk to Carlos offline though, and talk to him about how we can do this, so we have a clear picture of what needs to be done in one place. Carlos, I will get in touch with you offline and we'll get something going there. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, thank you very much. Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Tijani. Just read the chat. I think we've found a master Action Items page. I think Carlos will be putting this together. There's a master list of all calls at the moment that's there, and Carlos says there's going to be more streamlining of the Wiki for ATLAS II. So Carlos is going to work on the Wiki and expand it. Certainly a master list sounds like an excellent thing.

If I could suggest that it be some kind of table that also, each time, also references in one column what the Sub Working Group is for that Action Item, or from what Sub-Working Group that Action Item came from. We definitely need a dashboard to find out, and "we" as in the two Chairs

and the overall Organizing Committee, needs a dashboard to be able to track everything that's taking place there, because there's a lot of parallel tracking going on. Excellent idea, Eduardo. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Olivier, you are proposing that we get a master page for Action Items of the Summit Organizing Committee as a whole, with its Sub-Groups, yes? Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, absolutely. It takes me a while to unmute, sorry. I think that's exactly what Eduardo was referring to, and I would fully support this. Of course, [inaudible 44:20] Action Items in each one of the calls, but these would also be copied to the master Action Item list, so we know where we are. Then Eduardo or everyone doesn't need to go from one call to another, or from one Working Group Wiki page to another Working Group Wiki page.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: That's very well, okay, but there is a problem with presentation. We need to clearly have each Sub-Group very well highlighted, so you're not obliged to have to read the entire page to find your Sub-Group and your Action Items. This is good and I hope it will be well presented so that it will be helpful, rather than perhaps getting more confusing. Very well. Thank you very much. Any other business?

EDUARDO DIAZ: I have a question. This question is for Heidi, I guess. The link that you've put in here would be the master list of calls. Is that part of the ATLAS II directory or is that somewhere else?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. Thank you Eduardo. That page is now on the portal; on the ATLAS II portal, about halfway down the page. So again, the idea is that when people come onto the ATLAS II portal they'll see the main Organizing Committee page, then they'll see now a list of all the Working Groups, and then below that they'll see a master list and various documents.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. I will look at it and figure out how to see it better. I will look for it there. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. Thank you Heidi for the precision. So, it's already done. Thank you very, very much. Any other business? If we don't have any other business we will have three minutes before the end of our call. Thank you very much for your participation.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry, I'm wondering when you'd like the next call to be?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I think our next call must be after the ALAC... No, that will be too late. We need a new call in two weeks.

HEIDI ULLRICH: In two weeks? Let's see... That would be the 20th?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes. It will be after the Organizing Committee call.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, thank you very much. Is this a good time or shall I do a Doodle?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I think we have to keep the same time. Thank you very much. Do we have any other comments? If not, thank you very much. This call is now adjourned. [Goodbyes]

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Have a good weekend, everyone.

[END OF TRANSCRIPT]
