

---

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes, absolutely. The recording has started. We'll just do a quick roll call. I would like to welcome everyone on today's finance and budget subcommittee call on Tuesday, the 14<sup>th</sup> of January, 2014. The time is currently 14:00 UTC. On today's call we have Olivier Crepin-Leblond, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Allan Skuce, Carlos Aguirre, Eduardo Diaz, Oksana Prykhodko, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, and Darlene Thompson.

Joining us at 14:30 UTC is Yuliya Morenets. And my apologies, I forgot Fatimata Seye Sylla who has joined us as well. We have apologies noted today from Cheryl Langdon-Orr. And from staff on today's call we have Heidi Ullrich and myself, Gisella Gruber. If I could please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes, thank you. Over to you Olivier.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Gisella, and welcome everyone to this call. We are going to be looking today at the quick update, the community regional outreach program review team. We've had the first request going through, and then after that, we'll be looking at another cycle of the FY 15 budget requests. Yes. That time of the year when we need to be looking at those and we need to start thinking quite carefully about the requests, since we know that many of those requests have been for travel, and that this time we also have CROP RT as well.

Well, we should assume that we would have the CROP RT continuing after the month of July this year, since of course, that's when fiscal year 15 starts in July 2014. Without further ado, let's go immediately to

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

agenda item number three, the review of the committee regional outreach pilot program, and for this we have Dev Anand Teelucksingh on the call, he will be able to provide us with an update. Dev, you have the floor.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks. This is Dev Anand Teelucksingh speaking. Well, so far, the CROP review team has been setup, mailing list has been put up and so forth. And there has been two requests coming in from NARALO, and both of these requests [?] we received just before the Christmas break, and within the past two days, Darlene and Allan, who are the North American representatives on the CROP review team, have gotten a response from Chris [?] within the past 24 hours.

I believe also that the – and perhaps Darlene or Allan can talk about this more, that the request were also discussed, and Chris’s response, on the NARALO call yesterday, but those are the only two so far. I think that’s the quick summary of it all. I don’t know if Darlene or Allan wanted to say something else on the NARALO conference call yesterday if there are any new developments.

DARLENE THOMPSON: Darlene Thompson here. Basically, Chris [?], he gave an awesome reply back, and I really want to thank staff for this, they’ve been really excellent at holding our hands and walking us through this new process that, you know, so that we would do it right and Dev has been awesome as well. So yes, Chris [?] had a few extra questions on our application, but they want her to ask or answer, so we brought this up on the

---

NARALO call yesterday and went through it all as to what was expected on the form, and stuff like that.

Got the questions answered, got the message back to Chris [?], so we are just waiting now for a reply back from him. But, so far things have been going very smoothly, I'm very impressed.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Well thank you very much Darlene. It's Olivier speaking. Just looking at some of the emails we had last week, there was a bit of a confusion as to who was going to submit those forms, and I can understand that this was entirely understandable, it can happen. Is there anything that you would say to any of the other... that they should be aware of?

DARLENE THOMPSON: Darlene Thompson here. Yeah, basically some pointers that Chris gave me in his email, and I'm just pulling it up right now, is that if you're asking to go somewhere, make sure that you say whether you're a participant or whether you're a presenter, or why – what you're doing there, because if you're presenting, then it's going to look a lot better on you.

Also, if the main role of being there is for recruitment, that also looks better on you because that is what we want is recruitment, and so even though there isn't actually anywhere there to put that stuff. [?] if you make that very clear in your application, they're much more [?].

---

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Darlene. It's Olivier speaking. Just as a reminder to everyone else, I guess this should be of help to you since one needs to make sure it is actually the CROP representatives from the region itself that have to pile the documents in. So I hope that everyone else is listening in quite carefully. The filing of the requests is not done by Dave, it's not done by myself, it's done by the representatives of each one of the regions for their region.

And I gather that your feedback with Chris [?] has been very helpful. Would you be able, if any others have any problems or questions regarding the filing on their side, in their region. Would you be able, Darlene, to sort of help them out or shepherd them through the process as being one of the pioneer for that pioneer region to be moving through this?

DARLENE THOMPSON: Absolutely, and Allan was the one that filled out that actual forms I believe, so he can help there. But yeah, for ideas from Chris, I could certainly help as well. So we're both here for anybody who wants, that would like some pointers or anything.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: That's absolutely great. Thank you, thank you very much Darlene. I note a hand up from Dev Anand Teelucksingh, and then a hand from Allan Skuce. So let's got to Dev first and then Allan. Dev, you have the floor.

---

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you Olivier. This is Dev speaking. Just a question really, is there any modification based on the discussions with Chris [?], with email and on the NARALO call? Are there going to be any modifications to the final form in any way? And I guess... I will see that needs to be done, so that it can be filed formally on the ICANN's CROP website. That's all.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Darlene or Allan?

ALLAN SKUCE: Allan Skuce here for the transcript. I expect there will be some modifications, one of the difficulties that I had is the process of approving the proposal and moving it on. So, it's not totally clear as to the full procedure for taking it to the next step.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Allan. Have you found out that since what the procedure is, or do you need more details on that?

ALLAN SKUCE: I'm still working on some of that. I was wanting to look at, we have a third proposal, and Darlene and I need to look at that and prove it and then make sure it gets posted. And the people, Chris and the others, need to be advised that we approve and it's in their ballpark.

---

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you very much Allan. Next in the queue is Carlos Aguirre. Carlos, you have the floor.

CARLOS AGUIRRE: Thank you Olivier. My question [?], how many steps we must go through to get the approval, approve the requests? Because I can see in the forum here in Adobe, we need eight weeks before, at least, and we need pass by RALO and then CROP. I don't if it's [?].

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Carlos. I think Dev would have an answer for this. Dev?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. This is Dev Anand speaking. Indeed, Carlos, it needs to be eight weeks before any trip proposal. That's as you see in the Adobe Connect, each RALO is allocated up to five regional [treaty] outreach trips. So, what happened is that the form is sent first to the CROP review team, and any comments or suggestions as to what has been submitted is done.

Once that is done, the regional representatives from that region, on the CROP review team, then forward to the regional VP for, well, to get his or her approval because that's one of the conditions of this CROP program, that it has to have the approval of the regional VP from the region. Then once that is done, assuming that of course the VP has approved, then the two regional members then file the travel proposal on the ICANN's website, on ICANN's crop website.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you very much Dev. Next we have Darlene Thompson. Just before Darlene, just wanted to ask Carlos, is that clarifying your question? You might be muted Carlos. It's I believe star seven to unmute. We've lost Carlos, okay.

CARLOS AGUIRRE: Olivier, yes, thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: You are here okay. That's been helpful, okay, fantastic. Thank you Carlos. Glad to hear so. Next is Darlene Thompson. Darlene, you have the floor.

DARLENE THOMPSON: Yeah, I just wanted to agree with everything that Allan said, and that I am hoping that staff is working on updating those forms because I even had that asked of me at the NARALO call. Like, these are additional questions, why weren't on the form? And my answer to them basically was, well hey, this is our first time through, they're still getting it setup properly, you know, this is going to happen.

So yeah, I hope that the forms are updated, also just the information of the people that are on this call listening, that just make sure that if you've got an event that you want to send people to, and you're sending two people to that event, that counts as two of your CROP

---

block, okay? That's not just one, that's two, or however many people that you're sending to the event, that's how many.

And each of those people are expected to submit a separate submission. We didn't know that, so we kind of screwed up on that but they expected it anyway. And don't forget that you have to pay your own registration fees, but what we found, is a lot of these conferences do have fellowship programs, so you can apply to the fellowship program to get fees waived. So that's a good thing to do.

And then again under the... These are his words, can you also please clarify if the travelers will also be attending as participants, speakers, panelists, or a combination of these? Where ever there are opportunities, requests, speaking slots, I encourage you to do so. So when he says I encourage, I assume that will make your application a lot better in his eyes, and he has the final say on these things.

And then again, to make sure that a large part of what you're going to be doing there is going to be recruitment. Recruitment, recruitment seems to be the focus here, so that's very important there. And one last thing, Allan, if you've got that third request in, I did not get it. Would you mind forwarding that to me? And that's it. Thank you very much.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Darlene. Next is Tijani Ben Jemaa. In the meantime, by the way, I'll just draw your attention to the chat where Dev Anand Teelucksingh has actually provided four specific steps in the CROP program, just as a reminder. Tijani, you have the floor.



TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you Olivier. I would like to make a remark, it's not a question, I know the answer, but it is something that I want to draw your attention to. We intend to attend the African Internet Summit that will happen. And last year, we participated in the Internet Summit in, the African Internet Summit, even if I didn't have the opportunity to travel there and to participate in person.

But everything was prepared, and Mohamed go there because he was under the Africa, implemented it. And it was our own workshop we did a workshop there. And this year, we intend to make more, we intend to have a real important participation by having our own workshop by participating in the other sessions, etc.

The summit is 10 days, and we only have three days and two nights. It means, when I say that, it's not three days because you have one day to travel and one day travel back, so it is very short. No problem. We, personally, I will pay from my pocket to stay more, because if you want to recruit new ALSs, than the summit is the place you'll find the most people who are interested in the Internet who are in Africa.

If you want to recruit new ALSs, you have to be visible and you have to be critical, and you cannot be like this if you don't participate actively in the content, if you don't have real participation in this summit, and that's why we intend to stay more days there and to our own expenses, because I know that the CROP doesn't go more than three days including two days and two nights. Thank you.

---

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Tijani. And that's a certainly a problem when you have a long, long conference. Did you perhaps consider taking two CROP slots rather than one?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: You cannot add... Olivier, you cannot add the, how do you say, the slots one to the other for the same event.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Not for the same person, but what I think you could do would be to include...

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Ah, yes, yes, we include two persons, yes.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: That was just a thought going around this idea. Okay. That's great. There was also a question which was sent to me with regards to the Brazil summit. And basically someone from NACRALO who basically asked, well, would we be able to use this to go the Brazil summit? And my response was that I actually don't know. Because I have no idea, the Brazil summit is going to be open for all, or if it's going to be open only to those people that are specifically registered as attending the Brazil summit.

And of course, submitting a travel request for the CROP for the Brazil summit, having it actually allowed, let's say, and then not being able to

---

attend is potentially a challenge. And I'm not quite sure how to go around that, or whether the regional vice president would check in advance whether it would be possible to go to the Brazil summit or not without being registered one way or the other. It's still very much in question.

Bearing in mind that because of the eight week time period, one does needs to know quite far in advance, and the flight far in advance. I note that... Tijani, I gather that's an old hand or that's a new hand?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, and old hand.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: An old one, okay. So Darlene Thompson, you're next.

DARLENE THOMPSON: Darlene Thompson. This is actually one of the questions that Chris asked us in his email to us. Has the workshop for the blah, blah trip to the blah, blah, event been confirmed? So it sounds like regions confirm whether you can, the workshop is open or [?] or not. So there you go.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: So that doesn't really help very much at that point, because if one doesn't know, what's [?] the possibility of having. If one isn't sure of this. Dev, any further last words on CROP and then perhaps we can move on. I realize that the agenda that is on the Wiki page is not the

---

same as the agenda that's on the Adobe Connect page, so that's a little concern. I'm following the agenda on the Wiki page, not the one in the Adobe Connect. Dev Anand Teelucksingh.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: This is Dev. Well, I mean, the thing is that this program is only available for travel up to June 30<sup>th</sup>, 2014, so ultimately, you know, I'll probably do another notice to send to all the RALOs, because this has only been NARALO with two requests come in. There hasn't been any other requests from any other of the RALOs at this point. So, perhaps [?] I'll send out a notice again.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Dev. Actually, could I ask all members of the CROP RT, whether there are any requests that are about to come through? We've heard from the RALO, I wonder whether in AFRALO, are there any requests that will be forthcoming very soon?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes. There will be two, I presume. Phase one who is already ready, but there is another one which is in production now.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, good to know.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: That's great to know. And in LACRALO...

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: This is Dev. There hasn't been any travel requests as yet.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. And in APRALO, is there anything coming up? I'm actually desperately looking for someone from APRALO here. No, it seems we don't have that region on the call today. So we'll have to, we'll be checking with Cheryl Langdon-Orr of course, who is APRALO, have sent her apologies today. As far as EuroDIG is concerned, I'm aware that there will be some requests made for an EuroDIG conference that takes place in Berlin this year, so that's coming up.

That conference is much later, it's around June, so we're not likely to get the request made immediately, and will be a bit of time before we proceed forward. Okay, well thanks Dev for the [?] and thanks everyone to have shared, especially Allan and Darlene, to have shared your experience, and let's hope that this program moves along smoothly.

Now we are reaching agenda item number four, and that's review and discussion of the committee additional request for fiscal year 15. Yet again, it is another budget cycle, and there are some templates, there are some forms. I believe, because I remember very vaguely, that staff had put together, or was in the process of putting together a workspace for a budget request, the same sort of workspace that we have had in the past.

---

This year, of course, you'll note that last year there was a repeat of prior years' request, of course, now we might not have a need for those, especially when it just involves travel because of the CROP. There is a bit of a catch 22 situation here. One could submit a budget request for travel, assuming the CROP, which is a pilot program does not continue past July.

On the other hand, one could say, well we would probably have the CROP continuing next year, and so we don't need to submit a budget wide theme. I wonder, Heidi would you have any insight onto this? Or, would it be possible to obtain some kind of feedback from ICANN finance with regards to this dilemma?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Olivier, this is Heidi. Certainly, I could look into that. I might have... Would you like someone to be able to make calls? I would think that for the fifth of year requests, these will be longer trips, for example, IGF workshops, on both sorts of events.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Okay. Thank you very much Heidi. I see Tijani Ben Jemaa has put his hand up. Tijani, you have the floor.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you Olivier. First of all, I would like to say that the workspace is already setup and Heidi has put the link in the chat at the beginning of this call. Second point, I'd like to say that the window for application for

---

the additional budget, opens of 6<sup>th</sup> of January and will close on 7<sup>th</sup> of March.

And of course, 7<sup>th</sup> of March will be the final date that we –this subcommittee will submit the requests. But the RALOs have to submit them, the last date should be the 1<sup>st</sup> of March, so that this committee, subcommittee, can and has an opportunity to check and to see if it is inside the strategic objectives. If everything is good so that the request is not rejected.

This is the first point. Second point, I think we don't have to think about the CROP now, because the CROP is a pilot project, normally it would finish in June. So we have to apply, even if it would be conducted for the next year, we have to apply for everything we want to apply, because we don't know yet if it would be implemented and we – one of the core elements of the budget next year.

Also for the IGF, I had the discussion with the CFO and also with Sally, and it will be perhaps implemented as a core element of the budget in the future, but since it is not yet done, we have to apply. If we apply, and it is end of call, they will tell us it is already within the core elements of the budget.

If we don't apply, and it is not there, we will lose it. So we have to apply for everything we want to apply, and then we'll see. Because nothing is already set. Thank you.

---

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Tijani. And as you were speaking, I was looking at the At Large fiscal year 15 budget development workspace, and getting rather confused because the dates that are being used are the US dates, so the submission period, for example, from the 1<sup>st</sup> of June to the 3<sup>rd</sup> of July, and I thought my goodness, if that's 61 days, there is a major problem there.

Let's have a couple of action items on this. The first one, perhaps we change this to the international format, having day, month, year, which will probably confuse less people. You mentioned the suggestion of the 1<sup>st</sup> of March for a closing deadline, let's adopt it as the closing deadline for the RALOs, and let's have this prominently on that webpage so that RALOs don't start getting confused by all of the numbers.

We need to make sure that they are well aware of this. And then with regards to the rest of the process, I gather there is feedback, time as well, isn't there, just like there was in the prior process?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Repeat please, I didn't understand.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: It's Olivier speaking, Tijani. There was a feedback process last year, or in prior years, so we will submit our budget requests and then finance would either come back to us or then put this on the list of budget requests, and then we would have to comment on them or maybe make some amendments.



---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, they will have until the end of March to react, and they will – how to say? Evaluate the requests, and if they have any question, if they have any problem with the requests, they will come back to us before the end of March.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you very much Tijani. It's Olivier speaking. And there is one thing of course to note. Last year there were two waves, or two stages of budget requests. There was the early budget request, for anything that would need to be funded from the 1<sup>st</sup> of July all the way up to mid-October, and then the regular budget requests. That had the potential to confuse quite a few people.

And in fact, we were among those that were also maybe a bit confused since we also submitted budget requests for after October, in the early stage. So, finance has gotten rid of the early stage all together and made sure that the deadline for all requests is early. This is why we have such a short amount of time. The 1<sup>st</sup> of March might seem quite a distance away, but in fact, it's only a month and a half away and as we know, we also have got the countdown to the Singapore meeting coming up, and plenty of other workers as well.

So let's send out a request to all of the RALOs for their additional budget requests as soon as possible, and I guess we can then take it from there. I note several hands up at the moment. Tijani, your hands is still up, do you wish to add anything to this?

---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, just to propose an action item. The staff to send an email to the RALOs, giving them the right dates. That means that the window is opening on 6<sup>th</sup> of January and will close on 7<sup>th</sup> of March, but they have to submit their request to this subcommittee before the 1<sup>st</sup> of March. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Tijani. And maybe we should say how they should submit their request. Should they email it to the FBSC group? Should they put it on the Wiki? Should they add it themselves on the Wiki as we've done in prior years? What would be your point of view on this?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I think that the best is to put them on the Wiki, but if they have a problem with the Wiki, they can send it to the subcommittee or the list, and we will do it for them.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you Tijani. Although bearing in mind, the subcommittee does not allow posting by people who are not members, but I gather if all members of the subcommittee who are present on this call, of course, who are present in the subcommittee, can continue as being the shepherds of this process for their RALO, then of course, they would be able to send it to the list if they wish to. Fatimata Seye Sylla, you now have the floor.

---

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Thank you Olivier. This is Fatimata. And thank you Tijani for all of your explanations. My question is about, [?] for the requests for the RALO? Because if you think about [?] the IGF, as [?], and if it's planned [?] in the budget, and then let's say the one RALO does make the request on that one, is it possible for the RALOs to make requests they want [?]... What do you think? That's my question. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Fatimata. Any thoughts on this? Tijani maybe?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I didn't understand well. The voice of Fatimata wasn't clear for me. So what was her question please?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: From what I understand, it has to do – is that the pooling of the requests you're asking Fatimata?

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Let me try [?]... Can you hear me?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: You sound very distant.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yeah.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Olivier can you hear me? Can you hear me?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Very weak.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Very weak. I'm having problems with my connection [?]....

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, Fatimata, if I can answer in this way, I am not sure I understood well your question, but in any case, even if it is incorporated in the budget, and the core budget of ICANN, we have to apply for the IGF workshops. We have to do so because it is not sure that it is incorporated.

Second, we have to tell them that we need to organize a workshop, so that they take it into consideration in their budget. We don't have to rely on something which is not sure. Does this answer your question?

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: I understood that one, but I want to know if there is a way [?]....

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Speak in the microphone, Fatimata please.

---

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: That's what I'm doing. Can you hear me?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Fatimata, it's Olivier speaking. I think you might be speaking on the other microphone but your telephone is still picking up, and so we're not hearing you on the microphone, we're hearing you on the telephone from which you are far away.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: She posted in the chat. This is Dev, sorry.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Is there any ceiling per RALO? Okay. Thank you very much Dev for this. I was actually scrolling up so I hadn't seen that. So, is there any ceiling for the number of RALO requests? So the question really here is whether we had imposed a ceiling or not? Ideally, I think that we should somehow not have each RALO submit 100, or let's say 10 requests because that would be 50 requests all together across all of the RALOs, so that's going to be a lot.

This committee so far has not had to cut down the number of requests that were asked by each one of the RALOs. We do have [?]. There is nasty feedback, that's better. So far, it looks as though the maximum number of requests we have had from one region has been five requests, maybe four requests, in general. And the committee has passed all of those on and the selection has been made by ICANN Finance.

---

And of course, if one looks at the request for the IGF travel, for example, I agree with Tijani that what we have done in the past is to ask to request that funding, and then for ICANN Finance to come back to us with feedback on it, and basically say this is not provided out as a special budget request. However, this is what would be included in the overall envelope that we will be allocating to the IGF.

And I believe that's probably what's going to happen this year as well. In fact, there also might be some cross-mix with it, or a number of mixes between one type of funding and another type of funding. So that's really the situation here. Now, were you thinking of AFRALO applying for overflow requests this year? Fatimata? Yes. Okay.

I don't know really. What does this committee think...? I mean, more than five requests for RALO, that would make it 25 requests in total, I am a little concerned that this might be a little bit much. If all RALOs did the same. Tijani's hand is still up. I don't know whether you wish to...

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: It is a new one. Yes.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Go ahead Tijani then, you have the floor.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much. Olivier, there is not a limitation, if you want. There is not something that make it limited, but the logic imposes that we limit our request because it is an additional request. And the whole

---

[?] was 500 last year, and the year before. So how can you have more than three, four requests per RALO? To be financed by another 500. It will be...

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: 500,000. 500,000 dollars.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yeah. Four... Yeah, you're right, 5,000, yeah.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: No. 500,000.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: 500,000. Yes. Okay.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: So yeah [CROSSTALK].

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, thank you. So, we need to have limit our sense according to that, and we have to apply for something that can be accepted. We don't have to apply for a lot of things so that would be rejected at the end. And in this case, they will choose which project would be promoted. I prefer that we choose which project we wanted to be promoted first, and to apply for it for this year, and with the others for the next year. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Tijani. I would say these are very wise words indeed. I think that the maximum we have had so far funded is one or two projects per RALO. In fact, in some cases, it has just been one or none. Asking for a lot more requests I guess just brings us the possibility for being more disappointed by having more no's than yes's with regards to our requests.

And certainly on the image side of things, that the At Large asks for 20 or 30 requests with all of the other SOs and ACs ask for three or four or six, that really puts us in a position where we might be seen as asking for too much. When I know that where we're just trying to do is to hedge our bets effectively between the different projects that we might have.

So I would urge the RALOs to actually cut down on the number of requests that they have, six or seven request all together, they should really prioritize and choose the three or four that are the best, that really wants this year. And then this committee will not need to cut down the number of requests. I would say that all together, this committee should allow about three or four per region, not more, specific for the reasons that Tijani has told us about. Tijani, your hand is up again.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes. I would like to respond to what Darlene put in the chat. It is not 100 per RALO, it is for the whole community, ICANN community. It's not only for the At Large community. So, you have to be aware it is not



---

too much, it is very – we advocated very hard and very long to make it more, but this they said this is the preliminary envelope.

If you submit projects that are interesting, we can [?] for some – or something like this. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Tijani. Yes, just to summarize for the transcript records. So it's \$500,000 was the envelop for all SO and AC requests across ICANN last year and the year before. So that's not \$100,000 or RALO. That's \$500,000 for practically everyone, and At Large might only get maybe a sixth of this, or less than that. But that said, depending on how the budget process goes, it has been the case in prior years, in fact, an additional amount was voted by the Board.

So from 500 it might have jumped to \$700,000 or \$750,000, just to make sure that they close off the year without ending up the year in a deficit, but at the same time, they're not losing out on some important projects or important possibilities that have been brought forward by the community on this. They want to show some flexibility.

Fatimata Seye Sylla? Please answer in the chat. So I would ask for five including the IGF maximum? I would say five max including IGF is probably really upper limit. We would probably be happier with four than with five. But really, that's a matter of semantics, I guess, if other RALOs are not asking for any, and I just have one or two that provides us with a bit more leeway to have a region ask a few more.

---

But perhaps someone else has an answer for this as well. I note that Dev Anand Teelucksingh has his hand up. Dev, you have the floor.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks Olivier. This is Dev speaking. I was just thinking, regarding the At Large summit, can we in any way make any requests regarding possible funding of any, well whatever it is? Do we look for anything happening at the At Large summit? Given that it's happening in June? Or that's too early.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: It's Olivier speaking. It's too early, it's fiscal year 14. We're not anywhere, FY15 so anything starting from July 2014.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Right. Okay.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay? Thanks Dev. Next Tijani Ben Jemaa.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes thank you. Dev, I don't think we can, even if it was fiscal year 15, I don't think we could apply for something for the summit. The summit is ICANN event, and I don't think we can apply for additional an ICANN event. This is my assumption, because normally the summit has a budget, and the budget comes from ICANN. Why don't we have it in

---

the budget? Why do you have an additional budget is the question.  
Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Understood.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Tijani. Okay, any other thoughts or questions on this? So we're all well set for the timing and staff has the action item to send a note to the RALOs, and get this thing working. I'll basically ask all of you on the call to make sure that you speak to your regional leadership, and make sure that they understand that they should really not wait until the very last moment to send those requests.

If, as Fatimata says, she thinks that AFRALO should be submitting five requests, this committee receives 25 requests on the very last day, then it's going to be increasingly hard to stick to the timeline and be able to review all of those requests, especially if there are questions with regards to the filling of the actual request templates.

As you know, these change slightly from year to year. I haven't actually had a chance yet to look at the templates yet, so I'm not quite sure whether there has been any change, maybe Tijani will have had a look at them. The deadline again is the 1<sup>st</sup> of March. Deadline for the RALOs to submit their request to the Finance and Budget subcommittee here, 1<sup>st</sup> of March.

Tijani, have you had a look at the budget request templates yet?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes Olivier. It is more or less the same. There is no measure of change. So I don't think, now people are more or less familiar with it, and I think it will not be a problem to fill it in.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, that's great. Thank you. And now we have a request form, there you go, it's on the Adobe Connect. Perhaps, may I ask that we perhaps change, if staff has the – I don't know, this is a PDF file. I wonder whether staff can actually have an original template doc form and change this or take out, remember the deadline for FY 15 budget consideration is March the 7<sup>th</sup>, 2014, because that's really confusing for RALOs when they fill this up.

They're told on the one hand it's the 1<sup>st</sup> of March, and they see this printed on the request form, and that just has the potential for total chaos. If staff could check on this... Yes, Heidi, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thanks Olivier. This is Heidi. On the workspace I see that they're actually in Word format. When I opened it, it's in Word format. I do see the March 7<sup>th</sup> date. Can you just confirm that you also have a Word .doc there on that workspace? And then I will see [?] the date that's dated there.

---

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: See, I have a word .doc as well, I can see it here. So what I would suggest then is that if it was possible to please edit that Word .doc that's currently on that page, and make sure that it has got a deadline for the 1<sup>st</sup> of March rather than the 7<sup>th</sup> of March. I don't think Finance will be particularly upset if we mess around with their forms. Certainly that will definitely help our community in not getting confused with things like this. Tijani Ben Jemaa.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you. May I propose that we change it in this way, we say that the deadline for submission to the Finance and Budget Subcommittee will be the 1<sup>st</sup> of March, while this subcommittee will have to submit it to the Finance Department before the 7<sup>th</sup> of March? So that the Finance people will not be confused or perhaps ask why it is changed.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: That's great. Super. So let's have an action item please for staff to edit the FY 15 community request form, and amend the second line in there adding that the deadlines for submitting the request forms to the At Large Finance and Budget Subcommittee is the 1<sup>st</sup> of March, while the budget consideration deadline will be March the 7<sup>th</sup>. I don't see that on the action item line, but I gather someone has taken the action item.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, Olivier, I will take that one.

---

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you very much Heidi. Right, any other comments or questions on this process? The good thing, I guess, it is now the third year, if I am correct, that we're doing this, so I think there will be less confusion within the community and within our RALOs regarding the additional budget requests and regarding the CROP. And that's a good thing. It really is just a case of a timeline where we need to go fast.

I don't see anyone else put their hands up, so that's really the two points that we're going to discuss in this call. I was just going to ask if there was any other business related to the Finance and Budget Subcommittee. Tijani, go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, thank you. Olivier, I don't know what perhaps we need to think about our needs as ALAC as a [?] for the next budget cycle. Right now, we just follow the request of the RALOs, but perhaps we have to see if we can, if you want, develop something for the RALO, for the ALAC, and for the [?].

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Tijani. Did you have anything in mind? Any specifics that you would want to suggest?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Not for this year. This year, I think it is finished now, but for the next years, we have to think about it. So this committee has to think about it and to prepare something for the next cycle.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Tijani, it's Olivier speaking. I meant for FY 15, do you as a person from the ALAC, do you have any specific ideas as to what the ALAC might be wishing? Might be...

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No, I don't have anything in mind now, but I think that normally as a constituency we have to plan for our activities, and also for our functioning, if we need a specific budget. Perhaps it will not be an additional budget like this, perhaps it will be request directly to the Board or to the Finance department, because it will be useful for our functioning or for our activities, etc.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you Tijani. Next, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, you have the floor.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks Olivier. This is Dev Anand speaking. This is something I was thinking we can do in terms of like the meeting logistics stuff that happens at the face to face meetings. What I think is sometimes very useful, like some of the material that is done at the face to face meeting isn't very captured appropriately.

And by that I mean, things like proper cameras and so forth. So I'm thinking, that you know, it should be some sort of [?] some resources to have like proper cameras to record our meetings, because there was a

---

lot of very great sessions, especially like, well, yeah, capacity building sessions that's been done by APRALO in Beijing.

I thought that was a very fantastic ones on IDNs, but [?] a lot of panelists and so forth. And it's not really, I mean, we have the recording, yes, but you know, there is no well video footage of this. And I really think that it needs to be budgeted somehow [?] a good camera to capture our meetings there so that it could be used for capacity building, outreach, that sort of thing.

So that's what I'm thinking particularly for [?] At Large in general. I don't know if that is real specific...

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah. That's a very good suggestion, Dev. And I guess there is one question of course, which is global stakeholder engagement has traditionally been the department of ICANN that is dealing with this type of audio/visual recording of the proceedings, etc. Heidi, do you have any insight as to what they might be thinking of next year? Or nothing has permitted yet as to whether they wish to engage in providing a proper video record of the proceedings?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Olivier, could you repeat the very first part of the question?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, the global stakeholder engagement department has been in charge of all of the audio/visual recording of the session. And has in the



---

past taken pictures, and also sent a camera also for a short amount of time. But I wonder if there was anything [?] at the moment in the global stakeholder engagement path of ICANN to capture and have a better of record of the proceedings and of the sections than what there is currently?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I don't know about that yet. I can find out more about that this week.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. If you could check, that would be a good thing, because yes, that – if not, if such a thing was not being pursued by GSE, it would certainly be a very worthy thing for this community to be asking for, especially for the capacity building as Dev has said. That's a real shame, a pity and a shame to be missing out on having a good record of that.

Next we have Carlos Aguirre. Carlos, you have the floor.

CARLOS AGUIRRE: Thank you Olivier. I have a last question, I think. What happens if someone asks by support in the case of event have remote participation, and you can participate remotely? Is my question, thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: So remote participation, is that correct? You're basically saying an expansion of remote participation Carlos?

CARLOS AGUIRRE: Yeah, participate remotely so can you ask by support? Is my question. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you Carlos. Well, the current remote participation tool that is being provided is providing some level of remote participation into our meetings. So if I understand you correctly, you're basically saying enhancing the quality of the remote participation tools that are there? I'm sorry, I'm not quite getting your point.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Olivier, may I please?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Go ahead Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: His question was, if there is remote participation, and you want to go to the event, can you ask for travel support to go to the event?

CARLOS AGUIRRE: That's it exactly, Tijani, thank you. [CROSSTALK]

---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: My answer is, yes you can. You can and you should because live participation is much different from the remote participation, and because you cannot make network, you cannot make outreach if you remote participate, so you can apply for travel support, yes.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, excellent. Thank you very much Tijani for this. And I note in the chat that the global stakeholder engagement staff will be asked the question regarding have a better audio/visual record for At Large. And Heidi if you could come back to us after this executive workshop. What I was going to suggest, because we are reaching the end of the hour, what I wanted to suggest was that with regards to these additional regards, and specifically requests that the ALAC should be filing, let us send an email out to the ALAC [?]...

Thank you. And then, so just repeating. Let's send an email out to the ALAC [?]... Thank you. And then after that, if I could finish that sentence, after that we will have let's say 10, 15 minutes on the next ALAC call, which is at the end of this month, for the ALAC members to come back to us with suggestions.

And at that point, so we can discuss it then, and make a decision there and then on the call based on the suggestion that people are bringing forward. Carlos, your hand is up, you have the floor.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: It's an old one.

---

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: And it's an old one. Yes, thank you Tijani. Okay. So Heidi to provide feedback on GST plans for At Large audio/visual record, and then the next action is for staff to send an email to the ALAC asking for ALAC ideas on additional budget requests. And the next action is for the final budget subcommittee community requests, extra community requests to be an agenda item on the monthly ALAC call.

I think 15 minutes would probably be, or 10 minutes, make it 10 minutes would probably be enough. But in the email to the ALAC for additional FY 15 budget requests, please mention that this is really for the ALAC members to have the ready in advance of our calls, so as to be able to bring forward their suggestions. Tijani Ben Jemaa, you're next.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, perhaps we can ask the global stakeholder engagement department to ensure visual recording for the summit next June. We are not asking for budget, just asking for service from them.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thank you Tijani, that's a very good thing. I think that the working group, one of the sub working groups, the promotion working group, should be the one working with the stakeholder engagement to have all of this recorded. I have no idea at the moment, what their arrangements are with regards to the recording of the summit.

And in fact, I have no idea what the arrangements were during ATLAS I. If anybody should be of help with this. Heidi, perhaps you remember what where the arrangements, or where there arrangements? I note

---

there were a lot of videos and there were a lot of pictures from that last one.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

This is Heidi. I can find out. Just a note that [?]. office, so a replacement is being sought. So I can find out more information. I'm going to be having a meeting with Duncan Burns this week, so I can bring that up, on the need for the ALAC for ATLAS II.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Okay. That's great. Thank you. That's helpful. If you can come back to us with regards to that, that would be very helpful. So just come back to the Finance and Budget Subcommittee, and then we'll follow up on this. As you'll note, there is a lot of interest in this. Okay.

Well, we are now 10 minutes past the top of the hour, so that means we are 10 minutes beyond the end of this call. So I thank you all for having attended this call. I think it has been very helpful and certainly some good steps along the way. The next steps as you know, get those CROP requests in. Get those SO and AC budget requests in as well, as soon as you can and make sure your RALOs understand, your RALO leadership understand.

Some RALOs have changed leadership, so they might get a bit confused. Make sure that they do understand what the process is. And hold their hand, I guess, along the way so that we've got a smooth system and a smooth process this year. And with this, I thank you all for attending the call. Thanks to staff and thanks, of course, to the operators for

---

making sure you're all on the call at the right time. This call is now adjourned. Bye-bye.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPT]**