
JULIA CHARVOLEN: Welcome everyone on the Monthly APRALO Call on Wednesday, 18th December 2013 at 0500 UTC. On the call today we have Fouad Bajwa, Siranush Vardanyan, Sivasubramanian Muthasamy, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Pavan Budhrani, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Holly Raiche, Hong Xue, and Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro has just joined us. We have apologies from Winthrop Yu, Ali AlMeshal, Julie Hammer and Gunela Astbrink.

From staff we have Kuek Yu-Chuang, Silvia Vivanco and myself, Julia Charvolen. May I please remind all participants to please state your names before speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you and over to you Siranush.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you very much Julia. We know that Olivier is running to the airport very soon, so the floor is yours Olivier, please. If you can do briefing on ALAC consultations and initiatives? [pause]

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: We might have lost him. Just go onto something else, Siranush, and we can get back to him. He's got about 20 minutes to walk to the airport I think – to the train station.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Cheryl, would you like to do that policy update on behalf of Olivier?

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Holly can do the update?

HOLLY RAICHE: I wasn't at this morning's meeting.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Do it a little later. He'll probably come back in. Just go to another Agenda Item, because Olivier would not have been expecting you to go to him first.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay, let's go to the next Agenda Item with Holly – the MOU with APNIC. Let's talk about that because we sense an update. Holly?

HOLLY RAICHE: Thanks very much. What we were up to – and this is really an update from Buenos Aires – Maureen and I met with Paul Wilton, who is the CEO of APNIC, and had another little meeting with Pablo, who is the right-hand person for Paul. We had drafted up an MOU based on the PIC ISOC LACRALO stuff, and had come up with a draft document, which is very simple, and I don't have a soft copy. I think Maureen has it. I can't find it.

But it's simply... The first paragraph is really a description of what APRALO is in one party and what AP is the other. The Agreement is really high-level and it simple says, "The parties recognize the benefits of mutual cooperation between the parties. It is anticipated that each party will benefit from complementary skills, knowledge and experience of the other party." Then there are four points to the Agreement that were listed.

Things like: promoting infrastructure development, business in the region and industry; agree to cooperate to promoting infrastructure development and so forth; to cooperate and maintain open communication channels, to collaborate and facilitate joint capacity building events and related activities of mutual interest; to collaborate to create awareness and promote regional participation through outreach and fellowship programs on matters relating to Internet identifiers, Internet use, Internet policy and development.

Then in discussions with Paul, which were held on the Monday of the Buenos Aires meeting, he simply said, "You really want to add something about attendance at meetings and something about APNIC being involved and helping us with training. I haven't seen it – I think Maureen was looking at a version that included those words.

What Paul and Maureen and I agreed on on the day, in Buenos Aires, was that the best time to launch this would be at the Singapore meeting, to have some kind of a ceremony; to have Paul and you there, since you're Chair of APRALO, and to make a little ceremony and thank them and so forth. So we've pretty much got the text. What we just need is

the event. Now, I've emailed Maureen to see if she's got this final text, and if not then I'll just type this one out.

I would appreciate any comments, but really the Action Item is almost done. Paul was absolutely delighted to sign an MOU with us, so I can complete completion of this Action Item, almost completely, except the ceremonial bit. Any questions? Siva? Hong?

SIVA MUTHASAMY:

At ISOC Chennai we had an event with APNIC, so that was an IPv6 training event for both participants. APNIC almost did everything. They sent the trainer and we had to get participants from here, and it was a very successful event. It was an event that was also participated by Olivier and Sebastian.

This happened about two years ago. Even on the team of IPv6, ALSes in our region would be very interested. You were talking about events, and under this Agreement, one of the events could be on IPv6 awareness, training or high-level training, for technical people, organized by our ALSes.

HOLLY RAICHE:

If you look at the website, which is what I asked everybody to do about two or three months ago, all of that stuff is on offer on their website. So what we're doing is making official what has unofficially been there. I'm sure Paul would be really happy to do what events we want. They already provide a lot of training for free, which is terrific. So even if

people wanting events beforehand, that's fine, but I think this is something we can talk about possibly before.

But certainly by March and by Singapore, it would make a lot of sense to work with APNIC on the training – and it's very expensive training, and it's usually for free – that they're prepared to provide. Hong has a question?

HONG XUE:

Hi. I agree with Holly. It would be useful to have a ceremony or joint event with APNIC to recognize this very important achievement. I want to mention that it is still very much at a preliminary stage. Before the Buenos Aires meeting there was an ICANN Academy Pilot Leadership Program, and it was quite welcome by the community. I'm talking with the ICANN Singapore hub on whether it's possible to have an ICANN Leadership Program for this region at the Singapore meeting; Monday before the Singapore meeting.

I want to make it available to our At-Large community. [inaudible 00:09:30] participation of them; they are welcome, and I know that we have [00:09:34] have already [drawn?] the BA event. They are welcome to share their experiences.

HOLLY RAICHE:

First of all, let me answer Silvia's question, which is, do I have a timeframe? Well, this isn't going to be signed until March, so I would suggest probably the whole month of January for comments. I will send

that out. I think the other thing is an Action Item on everyone – and I’m glad we can talk about some of the programs for cooperation, that will be talked about later.

Paul is more than willing to do an awful lot with us, and once this is signed, or even before, we need to work with him to see what it is of the many things that APNIC can provide or support along with ICANN. So I think that’s the way forward. Now, once... Siranush, you’re right to say, “Post a link to the MOU,” I don’t think she’s got a copy. I don’t have a soft-copy so the Action Item is on me to send Silvia a soft copy. I think that’s the end of my Agenda Item there.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Holly? I think that to put January as a deadline for comments is really good and we can plan to have this official ceremony process during the Singapore showcase meeting, if you all agree with that.

HOLLY RAICHE: Siva’s got a tick on that, I think... Yes. I think that’s probably the way forward. There is an AI on me to work with Maureen to get Silvia to post the document and then to send it out to everyone for comment. We can finalize the document at the January meeting and then have the signing in Singapore.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yes, that would be great. We have a couple of people who've raised their hands. Sala, did you raise your hand? She posted that her only comment based on version of the MOU we were given during the APRALO meeting in Buenos Aires is that the draft was a combination between the contract, etc. Holly?

HOLLY RAICHE: In fact, the document that Paul and I finally dealt with is not like that, so Sala, just wait until it's circulated and then we can all take comments at that time. Maureen's typing because she was also at the meeting with Paul and myself.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Maureen, you raised your hand? Can you talk? I think Maureen is muted.

HOLLY RAICHE: I think so. Siranush, she and I will...

MAUREEN HILYARD: Sorry Holly, I'm a bit late. I'm having problems with the Adobe. I haven't been able to participate. I just caught the end of the MOU, and I guess... Sala's comments about the ALAC [inaudible 00:14:11]. Perhaps... I think we can have it really before Singapore. I don't think that's a problem, but I think it would be good if we can get more people

contributing to it, and I did put the MOU on the workspace so that people could have a look at it.

HOLLY RAICHE: Okay.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Sorry, I'm just catching up on the conversation so I'm not quite sure what's been said.

HOLLY RAICHE: Maureen, what we're up to – I can't find it but I think what we'll do is you and I will chit-chat to have a clean version, which Silvia can then post and people can comment on. I think that's the way forward.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Maureen has posted this in the Wiki, so if staff can share the link people can go and make their comments right on the Wiki page.

HOLLY RAICHE: Okay, fine. When I clicked the link I couldn't find it. Maybe it's just me. Let's move on. This is just detail. Let's keep going.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay. So the next step will be we will share this MOU with all and ask for their comments. In addition to this, to sign this MOU, we then as well, as they're also interested to sign an MOU with APRALO, so I think that if we come along this way we can have two MOUs signed officially during the Singapore meeting. That would be great for the whole of APRALO.

Let's move onto the Item #3. We'll be back to the policy development part, as I know Olivier will be here soon. Olivier, can you take the floor now?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much. The only problem at the moment is I don't have a computer with me and I can't remember all the public comments that are currently open. I can say a few words about them, but you'll have to give me the actual titles of them. Sorry, I'm walking. It's freezing cold at the moment.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay. The first is recently adopted ALAC statements, documents or groups? Meaning, WHOIS PDP recommendations for Board consideration?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I think we can just go through the ones that are open at the moment, because...

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Olivier, did you want me to... I'm just trying to open the comments from last night. You can remember the ones we're doing things with, can't you?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I can't remember the ones that are currently open.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I'll see if I can look those up.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: If you give me 15 minutes I'll be on a train and I'll be able to turn my laptop on and hopefully be able to get the Internet as well.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: We'll come back to you then Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Siranush. I'm sorry about this.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: No-no, have a safe trip. Now we have Yannis who's joined us. I have her PowerPoint presentation. I sent it to Julia but I assume she didn't get it. Can you give me the authorization to post this here? Julia?

SILVIA VIVANCO: I think you have the powers to do it because you're a host on the AC room. Julia, can you confirm please?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Or you can give the power to... I think I can't do it because I need Adobe Connect.

YANNIS LI: Okay, I can share my screen as well? Wait a minute.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yes please Yannis. The floor is yours. You have five minutes. We need to move quickly.

YANNIS LI: I have to find myself first. Okay. It's loading.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: For everyone, we have an ALS spotlight for this month; NetMission.Asia It will be presented by Yannis Li, and the loading is now in progress.

After her presentation, please think about who'd like to volunteer for the next spotlight for January. Put your names in the chat or say about that.

YANNIS LI:

Great, it's converting. I'll start talking to save time. Our ALS is NetMission.Asia. Actually, we were founded in 2009 and we were supported by a .asia organization. Actually, I think many of you may have already met some of our ambassadors before, especially in Beijing, like [Odjuri? 00:21:00] and a group of very energetic young people as well. Actually NetMission program is a network of dedicated young volunteers that are devoted to promoting and contributing towards this digital increase in digital governance, these issues.

Actually, we recruit ambassadors from universities in Hong Kong, every year, and so far we have over 100 ambassadors already, including the [alumni language? 00:21:37]. They still attend some of the conferences as well. Our mission is mainly to promote this user engagement empowerment and this Internet governance discussion. We hope that to promote more youth participation in discussing all these policy matters about the Internet, because actually they use Internet every day but they just don't know who is actually operating behind it.

They actually don't know they could also have a say in the policy, so that's why we're hoping that with this new generation coming up they should also be one of these stakeholders, joining in this discussion and also shaping a better Internet for everybody in the Internet community

at large. So what we believe in is actually that the users themselves can be a very good facilitation to tell more friends to join these discussions.

So beside this participation in the discussions we also support the development of different initiatives to enhance and make the Internet better. For our program we have three core elements. One is the Knowledge Volunteers, which is actually training up the ambassadors.

We prepare them in Hong Kong before they go to any conferences, and then we'll give them trainings on different issues that are more relevant to them; for example cyber bullying, copyright issues, security, digital access, these kinds of issues. Then we support them to different international conferences like ICANN IGF meetings, etc., like APNIC.

Then after they return from these conferences they have to initiate their own community projects as well. So obviously the global IGF is one of the very main fora that we're attending, so since we found an interest in [inaudible 00:23:46] we've been attending the IGF every year. We've been invited to different panels as well, different youth panels.

In Azerbaijan in 2012 we also organized our own workshop, which was mainly talking about how we can better engage in sustaining the youth participation in this ICANN discussion, which our ambassador and [inaudible 00:24:13], [Bianca?] is moderating this section. Then we have different young panelists, from the UK and from different countries joining us to discuss how they can continue their participation.

One of the very interesting... Actually, it think I've posted it on the APRALO Wiki before, so you may check it out as well. Then another meeting that we always attend is the ICANN Meeting, obviously. Last time, in the Beijing Meeting, we did organize the Youth Forum, which we shared a bit on last time. It's actually a simulation.

We have mocked the Board meeting of ICANN, so it's just the new delegates that were assigned to different stakeholder groups like the At-Large, the ALAC members, the gNSO Council members... The topic last time was discussing about how to improve the Applicant Support Program for the second round. So actually they've made some very interesting comments, which Carlton and Dev, the Working Group Chair before, were also there to give their ideas.

We thought that was a very good opportunity to prepare more youth participants to really join in the ICANN discussions, because when they study deeply into the topic, they can give very good ideas for improvement, we think. We think this is a very good exercise for exploring if this could be brought again to Singapore as well.

Another one is actually the Global Youth Summit, organized by ITU recently, which we were invited to. This is basically talking many things about our online safety issues as well. So after these conferences and experiences – there are many others that we attend as well, like the APRIGF – they have to initiate their own community initiative, which one of the flagship programs that the [inaudible 00:26:35] initiate themselves at the Youth IGF.

The first one was initiate [inaudible 00:26:40], in Hong Kong, which is in parallel with the Asia Pacific Regional IGF as well. Since then, every year we organized together with the Asia Pacific one in Singapore, [inaudible 00:26:54] last time. Then upcoming, in India, Hyderabad, 2014, which I have been encouraged that the APRALO will also join this APRIGF as well in the upcoming August. This is from the 3rd to the 6th of August.

So actually, our job is also another simulation of this multistakeholder approach. We're hoping that the previous exercise, the young people can understand different perspectives from different stakeholders and how they can make more of a rounded decision in the future, if they come up in such a position. So they will understand what is at stake and what are the concerns of other people.

The role of that mission is as the facilitators and moderators; so we'll recruit the local students from those countries to join this Youth IGF, and then they will discuss about security, access, all these issues. These are photos from Seoul, which was in September this year. They had a very good talk with Fadi as well. Fadi very kindly came to share about ICANN. They will have these roundtable discussions to debate on a topic as well.

Another initiative that we're doing is about another ambassadorship, which is called NetY Ambassadors, and actually this is a mass education targeting secondary school students. It is an essay-writing competition in which the secondary students have to submit an essay about the Internet issues that they're concerned most about, and then the training team will train them up as well and support them to the Global IGF to share their views and opinions from the youth perspective.

This program was actually [inaudible 00:29:04] in 2011 as well... 2012. Some of the ambassadors think that... Not only university students can join this discussion, but it could also spread to younger generations as well, to prepare them early. That's why we developed this mass education program for secondary school students.

Very quickly, our upcoming activities – we'll continue our yIGF camps, which we recruit... We actually recruited 25 ambassadors lately, which is the new batch this year. We'll have this training camp for them in Hong Kong and the in March next year we'll organize another yIGF as well in Guang Dao, which is a province in China. Then as I said, in ICANN Singapore... Siranush, you're typing something?

Yes, so in ICANN Singapore we're trying to explore if... Actually we're trying to see if we can have this Youth Forum in ICANN again, as a pilot, and then of course we'll have another Youth IGF with the APRIGF in Hyderabad. Of course, [inaudible 00:30:21] to see if we can organize a workshop there with other young delegates from other countries as well. Then we'll continue our NetY Ambassadors Program as well. That's basically it from me. Thank you. Are there any questions?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Thank you Yannis. This is a really great job and I'm happy to see you having this excellent participation in ICANN meetings. There is a question from Sala posted here. Let me read it: "Is NetMission applying for [.kids? 00:31:04] or is that another organization?" Sala is asking you.

YANNIS LI: Yes, just to clarify, there is actually another foundation called [inaudible 00:31:15] Foundation applying for [.kids] so NetMission is not related to [.kids].

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay. Thank you very much. This PowerPoint will be posted in our spotlight space. Thank you for your presentation Yannis, this is a really wonderful job. Is there anyone who would like to volunteer for January spotlight? Those who are online, at least joining the call? Is there anyone who would like to volunteer? Or will we send a request through the list to ask for volunteers?

Okay. Staff, please put as an AI to send a note to the APRALO list and ask for volunteers for the next spotlight. Thank you very much Yannis. Let's move forward to Agenda Item #5 – Rules of Procedure Working Group update. Just to let you know that the Charter has been sent to APRALO ALSes for comment and the deadline was given as December 14th but no comments have been received so far.

Cheryl, if you can please let us know about the next steps with Rules of Procedure? As we don't have any comments, we have this Charter for APRALO...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I would suggest in the absence of any comments suggesting modifications for the Charter that's being put forward to APRALO, you should propose – if your quorate is at this meeting; and I'm not in the

Adobe Connect meeting so I can't tell – that you adopt that Charter formally.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yes. Those who are online, and I assume you all have seen these Rules of Procedure sent to the list, if you are willing to adopt this can you put your agreement sign for adopting this?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Holly, can you do the hand waving for [inaudible 00:33:50], please?

HOLLY RAICHE: I have just...

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Maureen has her hand up. Maureen?

HOLLY RAICHE: She wants to talk.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay, she just put an agreement sign. Anybody else?

HOLLY RAICHE: Siva, Fouad, Sala, are you voting? There's a link for the Rules of Procedure in the chat room.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: It's the Charter for the Working Group.

HOLLY RAICHE: Everyone's reading it now.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: The Charter was sent a month ago, I think?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yes, a month exactly, in fact a little more than a month.

HOLLY RAICHE: Siranush, may I suggest that instead of voting now, since both Fouad and Siva are now reading it, clearly don't want to vote at this stage, could we circulate the link and ask people to formally vote?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: It doesn't need a formal vote if you've got a quorate meeting. It can be a consensus call. One of the existing Rules of Procedure is that this place should operate on consensus where possible, so if...

HOLLY RAICHE: Cheryl, they're not putting their hands up...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: So if you want to give them time to read what is hardly a lot of documentation, and if they don't have any comments, then Siranush could ask for a consensus call at the end of this meeting. But if you're going to take a vote of any formality, that doesn't happen in this call, this will not be settled until the middle or end of January. Now, that's fine, I don't have a problem with that, just...

HOLLY RAICHE: Okay, well, are people to proceed with this voting?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: ...Just be aware that you put things out to the list, you give people plenty of time to look at things and comment, and you do sometimes need to actually just move on.

HOLLY RAICHE: Siranush, I leave it in your hands. If people are prepared to vote or if they... Sala wants...

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: I agree with Cheryl. This Charter has been disseminated a month ago for all ALSes, and if we can just have consensus voting at the end of this call,

at least, not to put it to the end, because I think in January the next step is to share it with all other RALOs, for them also to know what APRALO is doing. This is really a great job and initiative of APRALO.

All ALSes... I'm just reading Sala's comment that we sent this to the internal list for APRALO asking for comments and nobody came back with any, Sala. I assume this is silent agreement for what's been reckoned there.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Fouad's saying, "This has my support for a consensus call."

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Sala was saying that it needs time for internal discussion amongst the ALSes, so...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

I'm sorry Siranush, that's a load of absolute codswallop! The representation that people are given, the trust that is given to those who turn up to these calls, representing and potentially voting for their At-Large structures must have some sort of trust from their ALSes. This is merely a Charter for a Working Group.

I really don't think this is, in our case, something that several thousand people need to discuss within ISOC .AU I think Holly and I can take it on our own backs to say yes or no, we do or do not like it. I would strongly

encourage the other Chapters to do the same. Thank you for your indulgence but that was infuriating.

HOLLY RAICHE: Can we wait until the end of the call?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: At the end of this call... Yes, Holly?

HOLLY RAICHE: I'm just saying, if I [inaudible 00:38:23] now recording the ISOC AU support the Rules of Procedure, okay? I'll type that in.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay. By the end of this call we'll have this consensus for all. Let's move to the next Agenda Item. Olivier? Please speak about policy updates, Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I hope that you can hear me well, I'm on a train at the moment and it might drop off in the middle of my conversation. I've got an update for the policy development. The first one is the ICANN draft vision, mission and focus areas for a five-year strategic plan. The closing date for this is the end of January. Tijani Ben Jemaa is holding the pen on this, and I

think our FBSC members will be asked first to comment on the first draft, and then this will be presented to everyone to comment on.

There are quite a few things that are changing, and there are quite a few focus areas on Internet-related areas that are coming up on the radar. There are quite a few brand new focus areas and additional work. Next, we've got a proposal for Specification #13 to the ICANN Registry Agreement to contractually reflect certain limited aspects of .grant new gTLDs. That's [speaking? 00:40:15] with the new gTLD application process.

Alan Greenberg, who is our gNSO Liaison, will be confirming whether a statement is necessary. He has promised to have a look at it in the next couple of days. The closing date for this is the 9th of January 2014. Then we have a request for routine community feedback on the geographic regions' Working Group recommendations, and that's something which affects many of the regions. You have several members of At-Large on the Working Group. Cheryl Langdon-Orr was one of them. I'm not sure whether Cheryl wants to say something.

Whilst I have good mobile reception I'll run through the whole list of public comment periods and then I'll open the floor and if Cheryl wants to add anything she's very welcome to do so. There is the study on WHOIS misuse. It's the first time there's actually a study to find out all the bad things that pirates and other criminal gangs make use of when they give the wrong information on WHOIS. WHOIS, as you know, is the directory services for domain names.

This one we have our Co-Chairs of the At-Large Registrant Issues; Holly Raiche and Carlton Samuels, who are currently working on a draft. Then we have the protection of international governmental organization and international non-governmental organization identifiers, in all gTLDs. That's currently being drafted by Alan Greenberg and Evan Leibovitch, as in they're picking up the pen. Hopefully we'll have a first draft in the next few days, and again the community will be asked to comment on this.

This is a bit of a short deadline. It says here the 18th of December 2013. We're very likely to be able to get an extension to provide our inputs later on. The gist of what the ALAC is likely to do is support its minority report, that was part of the overall final report of that Working Group. The minority report will also be sent – or a pointer to it – to the Chair of the ICANN Board on this occasion.

Then we've got the ccNSO Framework of Interpretation Working Group on Interim Reports on Revocation. That's to do with... It's ccTLDs that are being revoked for one reason or another; that the organization doesn't exist anymore or whatever. Rinalia Abdul Rahim from APRALO has picked up the pen on this and the ALAC has now reached voting level. The vote will close soon – I believe tomorrow – and it will be sent to the [alfa? 00:43:30].

They are the currently open public comment periods. I open the floor and hopefully I won't drop out. Thank you. We are going extremely fast.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you very much Olivier. Bon voyage. Let's move to another... Agenda Item #6 – the status of ALSes who submitted to the ATLAS II Survey. I assumed that only two ALSes didn't submit their Survey vote. Am I right, Silvia?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, I believe you are correct. That's the last thing I heard as well about the condition of the Survey, which is being analyzed, by the way. I can put a link onto the chat.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you. I think that APRALO was the first who got 97% of ALSes who submitted their Survey vote, which is really great. Thank you all for your participation. Let's move to another Action Item – planning for the Singapore meeting and showcase event. Just as an update, we had a meeting a week ago; the Organizing Committee for Singapore Showcase – it was a really fruitful meeting. We have AIs for everyone to move forward during the coming one month.

People are starting to do what they are supposed to do. I'm also happy to share with you that [Amani? 00:45:19] also found that [costs? 00:45:20] for printing the [160 red linears?] for APRALO and what we need right now is... The text of this will be, "ICANN Singapore 49 - APRALO." Do you like the text printed like that? If we are all in full agreement we can move forward with that and ask [Amani] to move forward with printing.

Holly is in agreement. Please put your red agreement or disagreement sign on the Adobe. Maureen likes the idea. Fouad Bajwa is in agreement. Sala, Pava, Siva, how about you? Sala is in agreement. The title is... Just a second, I'll come back with the exact title. "ICANN 49 Singapore APRALO." This will be in the [linear? 00:46:56] as the text.

We have Siva, Sala, Holly, Fouad, Maureen, myself, in full agreement for that text. Yes, it should be only 30 letters on that. We can do more. Pavan is also in agreement. Okay, we have consensus on that so I can ask [Amani] to move forward with that. Thank you very much. Kwek, if you have any updates related to AIs posted during the previous call... Do you have anything to add?

KUEK YU-CHUANG: Can you hear me?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yes Kwen, please.

KUEK YU-CHUANG: Hi. Some quick update – [Amani] had asked us for the logo. The logo is not done yet but the moment we have it we'll be passing it along. We've also checked out prices for Marino Bay Sands and I think that we want to be on the 57th floor where you get the view, because anywhere else will be the same as being... You could be at the Convention Hotel,

there's no point. It is pricy. It's SGD \$250 before taxes per person. That roughly translates to \$250 US, so it is a bit pricy.

In terms of the lion dance I think we're looking at anything within the range of SGD \$400 to \$600. So we can just treat it as \$600 US for planning purposes, if you put in the tax. The tax... For this ability we have preliminarily reached out to some folks as well and people are receptive. I'm wondering if there was any precedent for this and if there are any proposals in inviting, from past events?

We are getting questions on, "What should we be expecting?" "What's the level of engagement?" and anything in that respect would be very helpful. That's my update.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: If I may, this is actually really the first step for inviting disabled people to the event. This initiative started to be discussed during the Buenos Aires meeting, so it's never happened. It will be the first time ever that we're doing this, so we may come up with the idea of what they can bring to the table, and how we can follow up with that. This is all on us to move forward with that. This is a completely new initiative.

KUEK YU-CHUANG: Okay, this is good to know. I'm playing catch up here and I apologize. From the Buenos Aires meeting, was there any discussion on what kind of format when we bring them to the showcase? What we think we'll be

doing? What kind of engagement? Has there been any thinking about this, or is this a brand new conversation that we should start on?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: This is a brand new conversation. We should come up with the ideas by ourselves. Maybe we will bring this to the Organization Committee discussion for the Singapore Showcase, to put in writing what we want to achieve with this. Thank you very much. Maureen, you raised your hand?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you Siranush. One of the tasks I was given was to contact the APRALO ALSes to find out from them who would be coming to Singapore. I've only had four people respond to that email, and... Siranush, Satish, Hong and Mahmoud, so four ALSes have actually responded. I do understand that apart from Cheryl, Holly, and myself, who would be coming anyway, but... I'm going to send out another...

It's really just to check whether they are coming and I'm just not quite sure whether they're not coming or they just haven't responded, because as we've said before, the sponsors from emails to our ALSes have been a little bit reticent to come forward and let us know if... [inaudible 00:52:30] as well. But just to update you on that. I'll try again and see if we can get some more of a response. Thank you.

HOLLY RAICHE: Is Siranush back?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yes, I am back. Holly, you wanted to say something?

HOLLY RAICHE: I was just going to take over if you weren't back. The next item is me and then I really do have to go. I have not progressed the multistakeholder agenda at all, but it's something that I will be doing. The one thing that I would be interested in feedback on – and probably not at this meeting but in the next two or three weeks – is at the last meeting, we decided that the two hours would be devoted to discussion of the consumer metrics.

Those are the metrics that will relate to whether or not new gTLDs have been a success or not. That has been quite a contentious issue. The Multistakeholder Forum that we had two times ago actually had two topics. My suggestion was we could have one hour on the consumer metrics and another hour maybe on a recap of the whole Brazil/Internet governance issue, if people are interested in having an hour's discussion on that.

The advantage of a multistakeholder meeting is that we invite everyone, so you have people from various constituencies. I don't know what people think, but that was my thought as to whether there are two topics and if so, what the second topic is. I've already asked people once. I'll send out an email again and then we'll have a meeting to... We

have to start inviting people; inviting speakers and confirming them as well.

People have got... Reading Silvia... Silvia has already booked two hours on the schedule, that's right before the showcase. This is what happened before. The last time we had the Multistakeholder Forum it was actually a really successful event, and I'd like this event to be equally successful. I think we want to pick a couple of topics that are of real importance to users, but also will attract an audience. That's my report on that AI, for that event.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Holly. I think that you lead this part and if you can share with the others to come up with the comments, that would be great – what to include there and how they propose this Multistakeholder Forum will take place. That will be great.

HOLLY RAICHE: I've got to go downtown so I've got to say goodbye, unless there are any last-minute things I can do? I'll read the transcript later.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: While you're here I just want to... Agenda Item #7 for sponsorship opportunities, and ask you if there has been any communication between you and APNIC related to their interest to sponsor some

showcase stuff? If you could update us or follow up with APNIC to clarify what they're interested in, or not actually?

HOLLY RAICHE:

What would help me is if there's an idea of what will happen at the showcase particularly, if you want sponsorship. It would be very helpful before I go to Paul, to have an idea of what is planned and what the costs are, and then I can go to Paul with, "Can you please help?" I don't really want to ring Paul and say, "Can we have an amount of money, I don't know what, to do I don't know what."

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Yes, you are right, and I think that the Organizing Committee is in the process of finalizing the agenda. The major issue is catering, which is really costly, and we need it for about 100-150 people. This is the main outgoing.

HOLLY RAICHE:

[Kwak? 00:57:30] also had some information. If all of that can be put together that would be very helpful in me approaching Paul for a bit of sponsorship. That would be terrific.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Thank you. Silvia, if I can ask you to post the files you sent me for the previous showcase in Singapore – the expenses? They may be relevant for Holly to take to APNIC for sponsorship opportunities. We will post

this on the Wiki space, on the Singapore Showcase Wiki space, and share it with you Holly as well.

HOLLY RAICHE: That would be terrific. Thank you very much. Happy Christmas or happy... Whatever people celebrate!

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Enjoy your holidays Holly. Cheryl, did you want to say something?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I was just saying Season's Greetings to Holly as she left. That's all.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay, thank you very much. Yes, I want to also open the call for any potential interest for sponsorship opportunities from any ALSes? It is very welcome. We have really a lot to cover. Pavan?

PAVAN BUDHRANI: I just spoke with Edmon, and .asia, like the previous showcase events, will be willing to sponsor, but I'll get in touch with staff and we'll see the amount and get to the bottom of that.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Excellent Pavan, this is great news. Thank you for sharing this. Let us move to ALAC Metrics Working Group. Maureen, the floor is yours.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I seem to have a conflict here of phone calls. Just to update people that my role on the ALAC Metrics Working Group at this particular point in time is to communicate with the RALOs and the ALSes and to get feedback, which the Working Group can use at a later time. I'm very pleased to say that if there was one area that APRALO has been very vocal on, it's been on the metrics. I'm very appreciative of that.

I'm sure Cheryl will be too, because she's been an advocate of it all, and she might want to add something? Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you very much. I am delighted with the input that we're getting from the At-Large structures. We do need to, I think, try and get in January, in our next meeting for Metrics Working Group for ALAC – it will be running in the first week of January. If anyone has any further thoughts that weren't brought forward in Buenos Aires, if they could get those to Maureen before the week of the 8th of January, that would be greatly appreciated by us all.

The other thing is that I would really like to see some of our highly technically skilled people also contributing to some of the other Sub-Teams that we have running in the Metrics Working Group. If you are already engaged in, for example, the ALAC Technical Group that Dev

Chairs, then please do also mention it to him. He's leading the Sub-Team.

Mention to him that you'd be interested in specifically helping in some of the tools and techniques that may make the management of all of these metrics far easier. We don't want to have either our staff or ourselves working harder – we want to be smart about all of this. The other thing is, of course, that the more pressing work will come between the February and March period, where we'll be asking for some feedback from the community.

If at all possible, Siranush, with your indulgence it would be nice if both Maureen and I, and perhaps even Dev and Tijani, might be able to take up perhaps a 10, 12 or 15-minute slot for a fairly detailed discussion on all of this wonderful world of leadership metrics; either your February or your March meeting. Perhaps you want to make it March, face-to-face in Singapore, but I'll leave that up to you. Thank you very much.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Cheryl. Do you mean during the APRALO Monthly Meeting or during the APRALO gathering in Singapore?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I meant the monthly meetings, but I assume you'll be having the equivalent of your monthly meeting while you're in Singapore.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay, then we'll take this into consideration – to have time allocated to this during the March meeting in Singapore. I think that works. That's good?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yes, thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Sala, you raised your hand? Then Siva.

SALA TAMANIKAIWAIMARO: Just to clarify, January 18th is the deadline for the comments? Okay, thank you. Fantastic work Maureen.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yes, January 18th if I'm not mistaken. Maureen, can you confirm?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Could you repeat that please?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: January 18th is the deadline for comments? Is that right?

MAUREEN HILYARD: For the metrics?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: If I can help there, I think Sala may have heard me to say to get information to Maureen before the week of January 8th, because in the week of January 8th we will be having our next Metrics meeting. It would just be useful, if people were going to give some more feedback, that it came to you before the next meeting. That's all Maureen.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Sala, this is a January 8th deadline. Siva?

SIVA MUTHASAMY: I dropped off for a moment. January 8th is the deadline for what?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Maureen and Cheryl were talking about the Metrics Working Group and this was a January 8th deadline. If you have any suggestions or comments on these metrics, please send them to Maureen or Cheryl. That was it.

SIVA MUTHASAMY:Q Okay.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yes, okay, let's move forward. Agenda Item #10 is new ALSes. We have two applications submitted, which are now in the process of due

diligence by the staff. Actually, there's an Internet Society of Bangladesh Dhaka Chapter, Internet Society Pakistan Islamabad Chapter, and Internet Society Japan Chapter.

I am really happy to see new people wishing to join. They will pass the due diligence process and I hope they'll join APRALO very soon. Let's move to Agenda Item #11 – ALAC FBSC. Cheryl, if you would like to take the floor?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Siranush? I'm sorry to interrupt; I just wanted to say a couple of words regarding the new ALS applications. There are a couple that were made available after the Bali meeting, because several people from At-Large went over there. So I think it demonstrates the words of us being able to travel to the IGF and actually speak to people and let them know about At-Large.

I'm really glad that this year it has been really well capitalized by having several new At-Large structure applications – not only in the APRALO region but also in other regions of the world. That's it. Thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yes. I'm in full agreement with what Olivier has just said. That's why outreach is really very important – not only during the IGF but at all other IG-related events. Yes, Agenda Item #11 – Cheryl, if you can update us on the FBSC information and the new membership there please?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Well, not so much of an update as... I'm certainly – having served since 2007 on this Committee, I probably have a reasonable amount of corporate knowledge on its history. In fact, I served as Chair for many, many years as well. I'm perfectly happy to continue as a representative on it, but no longer obviously from the ALAC.

If you would like me to continue as one of the now three – there has previously been one and then two, currently two representatives; though Olivier would now like to have three. One of them needs to be an ALAC person, and I think – correct me if I'm wrong – Raf is willing to take that role? Is that the case, Siranush?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yes, Raf Fatani?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yes. If he's willing to take that role that would be excellent. I'm certainly willing to continue on in a role, but that then will mean that it would be good for APRALO to have another regional representative. Now, it is very likely – as a member of the FBSC to the ALAC – that you will end up being responsible for various projects and activities that are in the nature of sifting and sorting for not only requests for funding for activities in our own region, but also for others.

So you need to be quite able to have a frank, fearless and robust conversation about the relevant merits of proposed projects. You do also need to not only represent your region, and all of its diversity well, but you need to be able to, unfortunately, turn up to meetings at... I think the [inaudible 01:11:18] inconvenient for everyone in our region times.

The earliest I think we've ever had a FBSC meeting has been about 11:00 pm local time for me, which means it would certainly be evening to late evening to mid-morning, as in the wee small hours, for most of you. But do be aware that these are not going to be friendly times for these meetings. Other than that, I guess you should be calling for other people who want to put their names forward.

The only other thing is, I would make a plea, if you put your name forward, either turn up or let Siranush know you can't, and get a replacement. We do have to have these seats occupied, not just dedicated. Thank you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Cheryl.. The question, if I'm not mistaken, is that this should be an ALAC person, an ALAC member, to be in that Sub-Committee?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Well, no, because Raf is an ALAC Member. Raf is the NomCom appointee to the ALAC, so he constitutes the ALAC member. You need a regional member.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yes. That's what I'm saying. The regional member, if we want another person as regional representation, we have only Maureen and Holly as ALAC members.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Sorry Siranush, I seemed to have managed to get that turned on the head for you. Let me be really clear. Whilst it can be two members of the ALAC and one regional rep, it's preferential to be at least two regional reps and one member of the ALAC. So in fact if you were to take a poll, you actually would be better off having another regional rep.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Okay, thank you very much. I didn't know about the third member to be there. Are there any volunteers who would really like to be in the FBSC? You can volunteer on that. We can open this to the APRALO list to ask for volunteers, if you don't mind. Thank you Silvia. Let's move forward. We're already 15 minutes over the hour. We have a couple of tasks to discuss.

We have the CROPP update, which Ali was supposed to do, but he's not in the call now, but he's sent the links that were really very important for APRALO staff. The CROPP is providing five regional trips for APRALO members to participate in any regional event. if we can come up with a list of very important events taking place in APRALO, we can decide very quickly how we can organize to plan this CROPP for travel support.

Silvia posted the CROPP page link in the chat. Please, I know we have [inaudible 01:15:15] February, but I assume that we need to apply eight weeks before, so we may be late already for that, unfortunately. But if there are any regional events that you think we can participate in, there is an important point that Cheryl raised, that regional representation, and the benefit for the whole of APRALO should be highlighted for us to participate in those events.

Please come up with any events where we can show our presence and which can be really important. Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Just to make it really clear to all of you, both Ali and I serve on what's called the CROPP Review Team, in which case to help you understand, two members from the FBSC and one from the Outreach Sub-Committee, from each of our geographic regions, serve on what's called the CROPP Review Team.

The CROPP Review Team is going to perform a very important, albeit additional function in this Pilot Program for our regional applications, and notice I'm using the word "regional" application there, not ALS application. Let me see if I can quickly explain to you what that will be. Please look at the links before any of you put forward any proposals for travel.

You have the ability to have three days and two nights, two nights accommodation and three days, and you've got five of those for one

person. You can do it, dice it and slice it any way you like. You could use three of those to make a longer stay for one person. You could use five of them and split it between two people. You could have five separate people.

That is totally another issue and we can discuss that in another time and place. But what we do need to recognize is that it will be about six weeks minimum, eight weeks on average, from an application for travel support under this Pilot Program, for it coming into our awareness, into the CROPP Review Team, and it possibly getting approval. Therefore the travel can happen.

That means that if we... I would suggest that APRICOT would be one of those events quite appropriate for CROPP funding. We would need to literally be putting that in as soon as possible and certainly before the end of the calendar year. We also need to ensure that you understand that the regional Vice-President, Kuek, needs to have signed up that in their opinion this activity does meet the key criteria, which is to benefit ICANN outreach, in our case regionally in Asia Pacific.

It will then go through a test that says what benefit that would be for the ALAC and At-Large as well. So you've got several layers of testing that will go on. Once somebody has passed through that testing situation you also need to make sure there's an alternate, because there is no opportunity to re-use this. It will only be appropriate for use during the Pilot. Travel support is for activities of outreach purposes that will benefit a number of our key criteria and strategic planning points for ICANN.

It will only be able to be used for activities up until, and including, the 30th of June. Unfortunately, that means that things like our own IGF it cannot be used for. It means it can't be used for the main IGF either, because that will fall outside of the time. So if you know, as Siranush said, of any other events, other than APRICOT and AP-STAR meetings that are going on in-between the end of February and the 30th of June, that would fit these criteria:

Please, first of all let your regional leadership know, so they can perhaps consider to put in a regional application. Secondly, if an ALS is interested in doing something, even locally, they need to realize that the sooner they get these applications in the better. You have to use the form provided in the links Ali sent out. It has to meet the criteria that is in the links Ali sent out.

It has to meet the Kuek test; that he is satisfied that it suits the regional outreach criteria currently running, and it will be given an ALAC test. I don't need to say any more than that. Thank you very much.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Cheryl for this wonderful update. Sala, you asked the question about the deadline? Here is the deadline – as soon as possible, for us just to not lose this opportunity.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Siranush, if I may, a final deadline for the whole of the program, if you have to have undertaken the travel by 30th of June 2014 and it will take

eight weeks to get approval, then the final deadline would be eight weeks minus one day, back from the 30th of June 2014.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yes, thank you. Okay, the next Agenda Item is the ATLAS II Meeting in London. Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much. Thank you to Cheryl for having provided such an extensive description of the CROPP. One thing – if you have any questions or problems regarding the form that needs to be filled in, don't hesitate to email me or Dev Anand Teelucksingh, because it's Dev who's put the form together and will be able to help you.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Olivier. This is really helpful. We'll come back to you with that. Thanks a lot. Okay, ATLAS II Meeting in London – just so all of you know that we also have asked staff to allocate two hours for our General Meeting, the APRALO ALSes General Meeting, as they all, I assume, will be there. We are planning to have some General Assembly besides all those tasks that will be taking place within the ATLAS II Summit.

If there is any suggestion for capacity building or any type of activity to take place with all ALSes there, your suggestions are more than welcome. Just note that we now have two hours of allocated time for

our APRALO General Meeting in London. Are there any questions relating to this? No. Okay, the last point is our next monthly call.

I think that we will have it on the Tuesday, the last Tuesday of January. I will ask staff to send a Doodle for timings, for everyone to know what time it will be at. Please take this as an Action Item, to send a Doodle for the next monthly call for the last Tuesday of January. Any other suggestions? Any other comments relating to this call? Okay. No hands raised, nothing.

I just want to thank everyone for your participation. Sorry for having a 90-minute call this time. I wish everyone a happy New Year and a merry Christmas. Enjoy your seasonal holidays. Thank you very much.

[Goodbyes]

[END OF TRANSCRIPT]