

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: So good morning, good afternoon, good evening everyone. This is the AT Large Summit Number 2 Organizing Committee call on Tuesday the 14th of May, 2013. The time is 14:03 UTC. The aim of the meeting today is to review what we've been doing so far. A quick update on the various working groups which have self-organized themselves which is really great. And also thanks to the great shepherding of Eduardo. So without any further ado, let's get going and we'll start with a roll call. Gisella, if you can please go ahead. Thank you.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, Olivier. On today's call we have Wolf Ludwig, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Roberto Gaetano, Sylvia Herlein-Leite, Pastor Peters, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Darlene Thompson, Yaovi Atohoun, Satish Babu, Eduardo Diaz, Jordi Iparraguirre, Juan Manuel Rojas, and Tijani Ben Jemaa.

We have apologies noted from Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Siranush Vardanyan, Natalia Enciso, Jungbae An, Sergio Salinas Porto, and Humberto Carrasco.

From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Carlos Reyes, and myself, Gisella Gruber.

I hope I haven't left anyone off the roll call. And if I could also please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you. Over to you, Olivier.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Gisella. Did we miss anyone by any chance? Did anybody's name not get mentioned?

GISELLA GRUBER: Gisella here. Apologies. Fatima Cambronero has joined as well. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Gisella. It's Olivier here and I note that Cheryl is also here on the Adobe Connect. So that's fantastic.

I invite you all immediately to go to the action items from our last meeting or call on the 30th of April. There are two sets of action items. One for the actual proposal itself and one which was for the post-proposal, where we are basically moving forward with. On the proposal itself, both Heidi and I have been working on the text, which a moment ago was on the Adobe Connect. It has now disappeared. But never mind. There were three points in there. The first point to create measurable subject, issue-based mentoring shadow programs for newly ALSs, (fellows), and possibly ICANN newcomers (inaudible), too. These were things to add to the proposal itself.

The second one was to enhance outreach and promote broader participation and greater engagement through coordinated technical tools that facilitate communication and contributions.

And the third one was to re-label the plenaries with working sessions – since the term plenary was somehow confusing – and utilize more

functional unambiguous terms and proceed with the resources and logistics identified in the budget.

I am going to ask Heidi if she has any update on these. I know that they have been integrated in the overall proposal. Any words on this, Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

This is Heidi. Actually, no. I need to put that text into the proposals still. But I'll do that right away.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Okay. Well, we'll follow up after this call then. Next, the post-proposals of the encouraged focused pre ATLAS to work (at the At Large) structures to maximize return on investment quality output, specific deliverable and impact of convening the two meetings for a quality making rather than information sharing only. And that's something which I think we all share. And then as early as possible define overarching theme for the ATLAS-2 organized planning, design ATLAS2 program, transfer to the framework of expected outcomes. Possible overall theme is the global public interest or maybe a subtheme being the internet and privacy rights.

Are there any questions or comments regarding these action items which effectively are our main lines that we're going to pursue in the run-up to the summit?

I don't see anyone putting their hand up so I guess these are accept and we will close them because this is what we're working on the most. So that's ongoing.

Let's move on to the next part. Agenda item number 4. Review and approval of proposed ATLAS-2 Working Group charter. And for this we have Eduardo Diaz, who is the main person behind the charter so, Eduardo, you have the floor.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you very much. This is Eduardo for the record. Basically what I did with the charter, it shows the way I see that we should organize subgroups to divide the sort of things that we need to do to get through the summit. There are three major groups (inaudible) events, and sponsors which we as (inaudible) to be managing. And the other two logistics and public relations should be managed or redirected by (staff). In the case of logistics basically that will do (inaudible) all-inclusive (inaudible). I believe subgroup on the logistics should be led by somebody (inaudible) would be the main point of contact for those items there. On the public relations, I'm not sure. I don't know if it At Large staff or it's somebody else.

And the other groups – the (inaudible) groups – we have Wolf that will be the director or main point of contact for that group. (inaudible) said he would be willing to direct that subgroup. I am looking for someone to be the lead on this (inaudible). And basically that group (inaudible) any other activity that would not be supported by the summit budget which does get sponsors to help us in the support of those activities so that's why I put that there. And I think we will need a group of people that will go out and (get) sponsorship. So that is also here and if you have any comments about the way that we divided these groups, let's talk about it. Any comments? Olivier, please?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Eduardo. It is Olivier for the transcript. I was going to ask you – first, well done I think this charter is very well put together and pretty much spot on. But I noticed that there were comments that were underneath on the same page. Do you take those in account and then make amendments according to the comments?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes. Yes. And I put the comments there that I get from e-mails but I was planning (inaudible) these from e-mails (inaudible). I was planning to move these comments out to the subgroups. I have to (inaudible) from what (inaudible) proposed at the (inaudible). We haven't updated all the comments (inaudible). Does that answer your question?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes. Thank you, Eduardo. It's Olivier for the transcript. The reason why I ask the question is to effectively find out how ready this charter is and whether we could have adopted it on this call. So I'm not quite sure because your voice doesn't come out too well on my side, so I'm not quite sure how far the comments are integrated in there, but that was just the reason.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. This is (bad). I think I have a bad connection so I am going to call again. So give me about two or three minutes to get a better line because it's not coming out. So okay. I will be back.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay so we've lost Eduardo. Eduardo, are you able to listen in on the Adobe Connect? I am seeing no reply. It probably is not the case. Heidi, you're next with your hand up. Was it to do directly with Eduardo?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. I'm just wondering, am I before Tijani? Otherwise, I'm happy to give...

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: You're right, yeah, you're with her first. But Tijani is that a question to Eduardo?

EDUARDO DIAZ: I'm back. This is Eduardo.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Hello again, Eduardo. Yes, it probably is a bit better. I can hear you a little better. I can still hear myself in an echo as well, but that's another story.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Me, too.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. So I asked both Heidi and Tijani whether it was related to you. I think the questions are related to the charter and your intervention. So first, Heidi Ullrich.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Thank you. Eduardo, just a question. I see on the logistics group that that person or that group is going to be working with the details of the hotels. Let me just read what it says – “Responsible for coordinating all summit logistics such as keeping track of all attending ALSs, hotel, travel, conference rooms, interpretation services, remote connectivity, printed material, mailing list, wikis, invoicing and summit (inaudible).” Actually most of that is done by (GAC) by either by Constituency Travel or by At Large staff. So I’m just wondering what your thoughts were behind creating that group.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I understand that but my idea is that we have – if we run into problems that you can help us with any of those items. I know they are like travel, hotel, and the per diems are handled by other staff within ICANN, but I am not putting that there as you being responsible for doing that. Just to be the main point of contact for that.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. So could I possibly suggest that that be a very small group? Because we’re lucky enough to have Matt as part of At Large staff and he used to work with Constituency Travel so he’s basically the point of contact for Constituency Travel within the At Large staff/community. So maybe we could have Matt work with one or two people on that.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: A lot of that Matt just does booking directly with Joseph.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. So are you saying to use Matt as the main point of contact for that group or just...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Well if there could maybe be one or two people from this group that Matt could just reach out to with any questions. Normally what he does is to just work with me and then if we have any urgent issues we'll reach out to Olivier or you to do that.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So if the group is ok with that. Once the charter... if you wish to approve that, if you're happy with that then I would suggest that's the way to go.

EDUARDO DIAZ: And so to recap, you are saying that we can use Matt as our main point of contact for that group.

HEIDI ULLRICH: No. I'm sorry. This is Heidi again. I would say Constituency Travel is going to be the main point of contact with any questions on travel, hotel, visas, etc., but within the group, within the organizing committee

I would say maybe have you and Olivier be the contact for either Constituency Travel/Matt.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Okay. Got it. Any other comments?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Olivier, this is Eduardo. Just to answer the question. The only thing that I updated from the comments for the charter is that the survey group, I put that they should come out with a (central theme). Everybody should. Everyone is welcome to participate in that conversation that is happening in the e-mail list. Other than that, (inaudible) anything else. Can you still hear me?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, Eduardo. It's Olivier for the transcript. But you're in charge of this part of the call. You're the one who calls people. [laugh]

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. [laugh]

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: So don't just wait. You're the one who calls people. If I could, it's Olivier for the transcript, if I could just respond to your point there. I know there is a note from Wolf Ludwig and some of his ground information about the first summit etc. I gather, of course, that now that the motion has moved forward or things have moved forward enough that I know that several people are in charge of the sub-working groups or will be

working specifically on sub-working groups and so the points which are being made in the comments there are obviously going to be integrated at Working Group level or possibly don't need to be integrated into the charter itself. So that was just a point.

Since you were away, there's Tijani in the queue. There's just Tijani in the queue now. That's all. Thank you, Eduardo. Tijani, maybe you are muted. Tijani? Let's see. There is a problem. We cannot hear you. Now in the meantime, Darlene has put her hand up. Darlene, please.

DARLENE THOMPSON:

Hi Eduardo, Darlene here. I just wanted to reply to something that Heidi mentioned. Heidi, you're perfectly correct in saying that Matt is the God of transportation services at ICANN. Nobody could do the job better. But I also know that, for example, for the Toronto meeting, leading up to it, a lot of the ALSs had a lot of questions. "Can I do this? What's allowed? Etc." I know that Evan and I fielded a lot of those questions before they even hit ICANN so that we had the logistics down so that he ALS and we knew what they could get and what they couldn't get and so that it went in clearly and concisely into Matt and ICANN travel. And so I think that that logistics group that Eduardo was proposing might have more to do than you might think, is all. Just from my experience from the Toronto meeting.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Eduardo, this is Heidi. May I respond to that?

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Go ahead. Yes.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you, Darlene. Yes. Thank you for that and I didn't fully realize that for Toronto meeting, but just as I thought I had stated – maybe it didn't come out clearly – but I thought that we could get Olivier and Eduardo to be the ones who field, leading it from the community side and then we'll feed directly into Matt in Constituency Travel. So it would be Olivier and Eduardo who would field those questions first and then filter them through Matt and Constituency Travel. Except I would caution though that if there are any questions having to do with (inaudible) directly through like travel or visa questions, that those go straight to Constituency Travel.

DARLENE THOMPSON:

Darlene Thompson. Yeah. Actually I think if you can get down to just one or two people is a great idea. Now, Olivier if you want to do that that's great, but I also know how busy you are. So if you want someone like me or someone else to help filter that, I would be willing, but if you want to do it yourself I am totally happy with that, too. Go for it.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Olivier, this is Eduardo. You know the idea behind having one point of contact for that group is that I know where to go. Even though I can always go to Matt or even through Constituency Travel directly, if something is going on that I don't know where to go to I know a point of contact. That's why I put it there and that is what I'm really looking for – somebody from staff that would be the point of contact for that group.

Even though we can go to Matt or Joseph or Olivier or Eduardo whoever is in the At Large.

DARLENE THOMPSON: Darlene Thompson. I would be happy to volunteer if you are looking for volunteers. I could do that because I have had a lot of experience with that over the years.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. This is Eduardo. Does anyone have any comments about that? I guess we have a consensus on that. Heidi you have your hand up.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you. Yes, this is a question. I'm not sure if you wish to take it now. On the agenda as we go through each of the groups, I just have a question on the public relations group?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Public relations?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, I have a question on that. Should I raise it now or when we...?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Now, now, please.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. So I see – again, I’m going to read what the work of this group is. It says public relations responsible for coordinating all media tours, press kits, in-house promotions and pre-recording of (lead figures) around ICANN in support of the ATLAS-2 effort. This team should also coordinate the recording and dissemination of testimonials during and after the meeting.

I’m just wondering whether this group could also work directly with the Global Stakeholder Engagement and Communications team within ICANN. I know that, for example, Sally Costatin has a lot of contacts in London and I think that working through her, the community could get a lot of press coverage on that.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. So how do say we establish communication – through you or else directly through her?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi again. Either through me through me or maybe just a note from you and Olivier to her. Once the summit is approved, then we can reach out to her and say that the group is going to be developing some ideas and we’d be happy to work with her as well. That’s just a suggestion.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. It’s just a guess right now. Heidi can I put you in the public relations just a being the main point of contact there and then we go

from there? And then we could change it later. This is Eduardo for the record.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. Who's the main point of contact?

EDUARDO DIAZ: I said that we have you as the main point of contact on the public relations just for the time being and we can change that later on. So we can have that communication through you directly from Olivier and me to you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. This is Heidi. Perhaps I could add Olivier to that as well. And then we'll move it up to through Sally at the appropriate time.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Eduardo. It's Olivier for the transcript. I'm all for this and I think that the chair of that working group, that sub- working group, will have to work very extensively with Sally Costatin with this. I also note on the chat that (inaudible) also has contacts with an excellent London-based PR agency. I don't know how much freedom the summit team would have to work with a London-based PR agency. The problem with PR agencies is that they cost money. I don't know if (inaudible) can pay it. No, it's always good to know to have more resources and I gather that the amount of communication here is going to be very important.

So I am glad that there is a working group that will deal specifically with this. But I'm just mindful of the time at the moment. Just thinking if our aim is to adopt the charter as it is, maybe we can just focus on the drafting of the charter itself and then find the chairs and co-chairs of each one of the working groups later on. Just a suggestion.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Tijani has her hand up. Can you talk now?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA : Yes, can you hear me now?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes. I know you hear me. Okay. I am just worried because I have had a look at the (inaudible) At Large 2 proposals and I noticed that it wasn't updated at all according to the discussion we had last call and according to the discussions underneath also. So, I would like to know if all the proposals made before are rejected or does that mean that this version is not updated?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Olivier, can you answer that? This is Eduardo.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Eduardo. This is Olivier for the transcript. Actually Heidi mentioned earlier she had not updated the proposal, so that will be done in the next couple of days. That's all.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: This is all I have to say about the charter and I just want to get a consensus of the call to see if everybody agrees (inaudible) the charter to move forward with the summit to get approved (inaudible). Any comments? So if you put a little agree thing next to your name, just to see who agrees to the charter.

I see Juan, (inaudible) Dev, Sandra and Tijani. Is anybody opposed here? Well, like Dev says one, two, three (inaudible). And again, this is the living document, so any comments like I say are welcome. Thank you.

So I think I covered number four, seven, eight, and nine in the agenda. So on the agenda is Wolf Ludwig. Wolf, you're on. Olivier?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Eduardo. It's Olivier for the transcript record. I think with a consensus call you don't really need to call to count the number of yeses and so on, but you can just say there is no opposition. It looks like there is a consensus on the charter which means that we've got a charter. That is adopted. So, well done. That's the first step forward. And thanks very much to you Eduardo for having worked on

this because it always needs someone to pick up the pen and get things going and this is certainly a very good kick-start.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. So now we are at agenda number five and it's the update from the survey group. So for this we have Wolf Ludwig and I guess he will invite you to all have a look at the wiki page that looks specifically at the survey.

WOLF LUDWIG: Okay. It's Wolf Ludwig for the transcript. Well as you can see on the subpage ATLAS-2 survey crew, there are some basic guidelines or descriptions on suggested parameters and outcome. And as far as I see this was following the suggestions I made in a comment below on the main page that it follows more or less the setting of (inaudible) survey group and the contact of the survey group, and the outcome of the survey group follows more or less the experience we had with the Mexico summit where we contacted a pre-survey as well – what proved to be a major achievement for the final agenda setting of Mexico summit.

So by this inclusive approach, we assured that interest, concerns and ideas of the broader community were included in the program and we organized a summit with our community and not only for our community. I think this makes a big difference and I realize that we will

follow the same or similar approach for the next summit, for the London summit.

And I would like to have some more members from the region included in the drafting team for the survey, because those of you who have organized and conducted surveys already are there, but if you ask people stupid questions you will always get wrong or stupid answers. Therefore, drafting questions maybe we can use the previous survey we launched in Autumn 2008. We can use this as a model. Have a look on it and try what we can update, what we can make better, what we can make more specific, etc.

But the basic structure of the last way was, in my opinion, very good. We spent a lot of work in our sub-committee on it at the time, so the drafting should be done not only by a small group of people who are listed here in the sub-survey group but I would like to have and welcome some more members and participants from various regions that we can have this drafting process as inclusive as possible as well. These are my introductory remarks for the moment. If you have further questions, please ask.

I hear no question or feedback so far. Just as an action item, may I ask that we circulate another invitation via the regional lists for more members of the subgroups what will be the case for the surveys subgroup, but I have also seen this for the moment nobody from (inaudible) for the event subgroup, and I think more community participation in the respective groups would be important.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Olivier, you have your hand up. This is Eduardo.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much, Eduardo. Yes, I am not in the participants list. I am above that, so sometimes it is difficult to see the hand sometimes there.

Just a quick question, Wolf. You mention needing more participants. Do you think one way to market the participation in these sub working groups is as a good introduction to new members who want to get involved with At Large and just don't know where to start and it's just one good way to start moving forward?

WOLF LUDWIG:

Yes. As you know by your own history as Mexico summit preparatory process was more or less your introduction to At Large as well and I can imagine that there are plenty of newcomers in the region who have difficulties with highly specialized technical discussions what we have on our consultation list at each monthly call. But I think having such an interesting project as a summit offers some other entry opportunities since regular business, let's call it, like this. Therefore, I think the (inaudible) regions, we should try to include many more members into the preparation process for the summit in the various subgroups as much as possible.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much, Wolf. So what I was going to suggest then, just as a follow up is to perhaps get (RALOs) to call for people to be involved in

drafting that survey. It is a short-term thing. The survey is the first step that needs to be done, but it needs to be done pretty fast, so having more people on there is probably going to be helpful and it's not something that is very onerous on time since it's just going to be for a couple of months until the survey gets sent out.

So perhaps having in the action item the fact that the (RALOs) could have a call for these. In other words, during their call they could briefly mention and ask for volunteers for this would be a good thing. And of course bearing in mind that there will be calls for volunteers for a lot of the other activities (inaudible).

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Tijani, this is Eduardo. You have your hand up.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Yes. Thank you, Eduardo. Tijani speaking. Thank you very much and I think that one of the main tasks of your group is to define the issues to be discussed, addressed during the summit and I think that we need to more or less orient the choice, because we don't need to see issues that are not of interest for the global ICANN. We need to make use of this summit to transmit the opinion of the whole at-large present at the summit about important issues that are of interest in ICANN, that are discussed now in ICANN.

So, I don't think we need to discuss, for example, the relation between RALO and ALS or the relationship inside the RALO etc. Those are internal things that we can discuss in other opportunities. But the summit must be really used at the maximum to give the whole community of ICANN

the impression – the real impression – that we are discussing the real interest of the organization and we are giving them the opinion of the whole At Large. Not on behalf of them, but they are here, they are present and they are giving their point of view. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: This is Eduardo. Anyone else who wants to comment on that?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: This is still Wolf's part of the call.

WOLF LUDWIG: Oh, it's still my part of the call. Okay. Oh, I'm sorry.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: And Eduardo is jumping in to try and help.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I'm sorry.

WOLF LUDWIG: So if it's still my part of the call, yes, I think we are discussing on the same and similar lines as Tijani. I just noted to make a point. I think one of the main conditions why the Mexico summit was a success – was a novelty and a success – at the time was because we understood at the beginnings that you cannot organize a summit for the community in a top-down process. You need to do it in a bottom-up process.

And when participants, community people see that the ideas and concerns are taken serious, that they are included during the prep process, then they feel encouraged. So this provides sort of an enabling environment for the next summit and to consider and to ensure as much community contributions as possible.

So I think this is clear among us, and if we follow this direction then we can, from a procedural point of view, make sure that it's going in the right direction. Eduardo, you want to add something to this?

EDUARDO DIAZ: No. Thank you.

WOLF LUDWIG: If there are no other questions regarding this point on the survey, I trust that is the final remark from my side. I would like to underline what Olivier suggested before. Please also put this on the agenda of your next (regional) and monthly calls to invite community members to join the sub groups and to help make this more representative and to have community involvement from all regions assured. I will note this for the upcoming EURALO call as well. If there are not further questions regarding the survey subgroup, I'll give it back to Olivier.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Wolf. And the next part of our call – the next agenda item – is the events working group. And for this we have Tijani Ben Jemaa.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you, Olivier. Tijani speaking. You remember from the last call we had an extensive exchange on the list on what could be the organization of the event in London and there was a lot of key questions, especially if we need to make our summit in only plenaries. Also if we need to discuss a single main or overarching item, etc.

So the discussion was very extensive and there was a lot of point of views but I think that the last consensus was about to make them in breakout sessions to discuss several issues that are of real interest in ICANN and that would be defined by the survey group.

I tried to include all the remarks that came on the list and I tried to included them, but for sure if the choice is to make only plenaries, all the proposals I made will be put aside because my proposal was made around breakout sessions, about groups that will give outcomes that will be present to ICANN as the point of view of the At Large community physically present in the meeting.

So I prepared a first draft of the program that Eduardo kindly put on the wiki and I updated it first according to the first comments and now I updated it according to the whole comments that I received and it will be on the wiki page. I am working on the wiki page now, so it will be on the wiki page just after this call. So if you have any comments, any suggestions, please. Okay, Wolf.

WOLF LUDWIG:

Just a small side recommendation. I think it's good as you did, Tijani, to have a kind of a framework for a summit agenda already. Framing can be very helpful, but I think we should keep it as flexible as possible to

have enough opportunities once we have the results from the survey and once we know the topics and the concerns and issues, then to make it more specified. So my suggestion is keep it as a frame and keep it flexible and then let's fill in the content afterwards.

TIJANI BEN JAMAA:

Thank you, Wolf. As you have noted I didn't put any issue, any theme, any subject to be discussed. It is only about groups. And I didn't define the number of groups, so it will be done according to your outputs, to the survey output. And when we have the number of issues and the number of groups that will be formed – in this case we would put the details of each session. For sure this program is very flexible and perhaps I get into details just to show that it is possible to do it – just to make people know that we can do it in this way. We can change one day by one other, we can change one session by another but it is, if you want, a trial. It is not defined or final program. It is only a frame, as you said, that can be changed anytime. Thank you. So, Yaovi.

YAOVI ATOHAUN:

(inaudible) Yes. Thank you very much my comment is about the number of (inaudible) sessions. (inaudible) just before the end of this week. So (inaudible). Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JAMAA:

Thank you, Yaovi. I am really sorry because the audio wasn't very good. So if I understood you, you are suggesting to add plenaries and perhaps to change one day by another. If you can do this suggestion by written

on the list it would be very good because now I don't know the details of your proposal.

Second point, about the plenaries. If we use more plenaries we will use less breakout sessions. That means that we will go less deep in the subjects that we need to address, and do we need to give the point-of-view of that large community again to the board? So it is a choice and it is flexible. Now it is put like this, but if a lot of people want to have more plenaries it will be more plenaries, but we have to think about the time constraint and I am not against it, my only problem is the time.

So, for the principle I agree with you, if you can send it by written on the list I will consider it and I will update the program accordingly. I will answer your e-mail and I will try to update the program as you said. Thank you. Sandra?

SANDRA THOMPSON: Yes, this is Sandra speaking. Can you hear me?

TIJANI BEN JAMAA: Yes. With an echo, Sandra.

SANDRA HOFERICHTER: Okay. Thank you. With an echo. I apologize for that. I typed it in the chat already to have a look at the new program and all the comments as you mentioned, Tijani are incorporated. I'm, however, commenting on the program which is still online. I would really suggest that we are looking for more interactive format. I think this is rather important because such a diverse community is coming together and they should benefit as

much as possible from each other and they will not benefit if they split up in breakout sessions to (inaudible).

I will also not be able to interact if they are sitting on a big plenary listening to what people on the stage are discussing and having the chance to go to the open mic, for instance. I think we should really look into options and there are other options how to organize a conference or a meeting, and this is actually not a conference. There are other and more interactive options on how to gather this community so that they start really to interact, and maybe also then later on increase their activity on the mailing list because they know each other then.

I think this is rather difficult (inaudible) as it is by now and as you may update it, but I'm just not sure about what will be the update or what will bring the update but it looks rather static to me and I would try to avoid that. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you, Sandra. I do understand your point. It is a balance between efficiency, between the issues to be really deeply discussed and with good outcomes and the interaction among each other, which is also very important and we need it.

If I understand you, it is asking for more plenaries. If it is that, I spoke about it a moment ago. But if you mean put more social events or perhaps more lunch together or dinner together, it's a very good point and we may organize something like this. We may make all the dinners, for example, to be organized together so that people can interact far from the stress of the work, far from the (inaudible). So if you mean

that, I will try to put it in the program. If you mean more plenaries, it is a balance and we need to think about it together. Olivier?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Tijani. I note that Sandra has put a big red cross next to her. I'm not quite sure she did that because she disagrees. I'm concerned here. And then I'll ask my question.

TIJANI BEN JAMAA: Sandra?

SANDRA HOFERICHTER: Yes. It's Sandra speaking. Can you hear me?

TIJANI BEN JAMAA: Yes.

SANDRA HOFERICHTER: Yes. The red cross meant in deed that I absolutely disagree. I was not talking about more options for having some food together and I was almost not talking about more plenaries. This is too black and white.

I was talking about new formats, like (inaudible) for instance, or types of sessions which are not a typical plenary and are not breakout sessions. I put one of the links from the Swedish internet Forum already to the mailing list where such a new format was very easily described where you can actually also have the possibility to (reside) from different sessions and the big session may be moderated, but I'm not talking

about usual old-fashioned plenary and I'm not talking about more food. Just to be clear.

TIJANI BEN JAMAA:

Okay, Sandra. Okay, I understand. So it is the format of the sessions you are talking about and now I understand what you said. Okay. Well, it's a very good point and we have to think about it together and any experience about it would be good to transmit. And if there is anything in the framework that I put right now that is not the definition of description of the session. Yes, you are right and I agree with you. Thank you. Olivier?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much, Tijani. It's Olivier for the transcript record. I was just going to mention I am noticing the time it is taking and I think there's still a lot of discussion to be had regarding the idea of having plenaries, breakout, pairing out sessions, etc., bearing in mind also the limitation of the actual number of rooms we have – or I am thinking on some occasions that one room that we have. The limitations on the interpretation, etc. If I can just suggest that the discussion keeps on going on the mailing list and we'll be (inaudible) again to pursue during our next call, because I don't see us finding a solution today.

TIJANI BEN JAMAA:

Thank you, Olivier. You are right. We'll not solve the problem today. And as far as the interpretation, I thought about it because the last time it seemed to me to be a blocking point and now I think that our breakout sessions can be done without interpretation. We can

constitute groups that are speaking French, groups that are speaking English and groups that are speaking Spanish.

I don't think that don't have interpretation that we need to discuss one single item or to be very superficial. Not to go deep into issues that we need to discuss, we need to address. This is my point-of-view, but we can continue discussing this on the list. And now to you, Olivier. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Tijani. And we'll continue on our agenda items since we are now one hour past. The next group is the Sponsors Working Group with Eduardo. You've got one minute.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I think I don't have anything to update on those groups as I said before so we can (inaudible).

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: So I guess at this moment it's just about the building groups. I would like to be on that group, Eduardo, if possible because having helped with the sponsoring for previous general assemblies, etc., and also being based in the U.K., I can already (inaudible) several possible sponsors in the U.K. and especially if this is going to be such a high-profile event that everyone is going to benefit from. So it would be good to work on this.

Let's move on then. Let's go to the next thing, the logistics group. I know that there's been some discussion about it earlier. If you turn over

to that group, Eduardo, you will notice that someone has magically – in fact Heidi – put the names in of the three volunteers at the moment on this knowing that the logistics workspace, the logistics group does not need such a large number of people since they will all three act as liaisons with Matt who will work out the local logistics. Next, if I can go back.

Where is my window? Where is my window? There it is. Public relations, PR. Yes. From an unknown voice. Which by the way, in the transcript often comes out as “woman” comma. [laughs] It’s very strange. That was Cheryl Langdon-Orr.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: They usually recognize my voice anyway, but yes, it was Cheryl Langdon-Orr. I didn’t need to be identified. I was just prompting you, sir.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Public relations, thank you very much. And in the PR working group there are also three people. On there it is myself, Eduardo, and (inaudible) who said that he would be interested in being part of that group. I noticed that Dev also is joining the sponsor group. So I guess that we will have to just make it a chat for people who want to join some of these working groups. And then the next one that we have is the Return on Investment Group.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: That would be me, Cheryl Langdon-Orr.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: That would be Cheryl, please. You have a couple of minutes.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Cheryl Langdon Orr for the transcript record. Now I do want to be identified. If everyone would be so kind as to click the link for the ROI workspace for the ROI team on your agenda – and if you picked it earlier, please refresh. I added a very scant little bit of information in there that I would just like to draw your attention to and pull out a couple of action items that we need from it.

You'll note at the moment I'm sitting there as me, myself and I with an "X" under Asia-Pacific, but that should not in fact deter in any way, shape or form anyone else from Asia-Pacific region to join. It's desirable that that be sort of a (Pan) regionally representative but not absolutely balanced group. In other words, we need at least representation – active representation – and contribution from each region in the work team, but it certainly – and you need to be prepared before, during and after ATLAS-2 being held to be working on this team because there's reporting to do as well. But there isn't a limitation to any particular number.

So I'd like to open up for member options for the Return on Investment Team from any and all of the regions including the one that I have currently got my "X" underneath. I would very much appreciate people who have particular experience, specific or general, and/or training in what I am referring to as ROI matters. There's a whole spectrum of things that we could call return on investment matters, and some people may feel that they're not sure whether their level of experience or training is appropriate. If in doubt, e-mail me, call me, Skype me, ping

me, SMS me and we we'll sort that out. So if in doubt, ask. But if we could have an action item to open up both here and after this meeting for people to join this work team, I might suggest, whilst PR is important and logistics and everything else is going to make it all run really well, unless we can convince ICANN that they've done well in the deal, it'll never happen again. So I'd call this a fairly pivotal piece of work.

We'll be needing to do a bit of basic stuff to begin with. One of the things – and staff, if you could just have a look at that paragraph on that page, the last sentence probably indicates a few action items like setting up lists on who will have wiki edit rights and things like that. It's all written there.

But I thought the first thing we should do is to begin establishing what we mean by return on investment specific in the context to ATLA-2. As the investment in cash and resources in terms of ICANN it's not going to be specifically measured by a cold, hard cash return or a money level investment.

So I've put in a bulk standard definition of what return on investment is in a real investment situation and I suggested that we need to look at a couple of modifications on it. In our context, proceeds is not measurable in cash terms necessarily. We need to address that. There's a whole bunch of other stuff. There's a couple of questions there we can start chewing over and I've put probably more links than anyone will ever bother reading. That's it from me.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: And Cheryl, you still have the floor and someone has got their hand up.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Well, it's only you. I thought you'd jump in. [laughs] Go ahead, Olivier.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Cheryl. It's Olivier for the transcript. I had a question with regards to the work of this Working Group. It's highly likely that one of the questions we might be asked in the next few weeks, which comes at the evaluation by the board and by the board public participation committee and the board finance committee of the proposal – of the updated proposal – one of the questions I might be asked will be what is the return on investment on this project?

Without providing a full 20-page document and return would it be possible for your sub working group to perhaps come up with a couple of lines explaining what the likely return on investment will be, bearing in mind it is not the purely financial risk and investments that you put on the wiki page?

CHERYL LANGON-ORR: The answer is yes and no. The yes part of the answer is that the reason I pose those beginning questions on the wiki space already which is talking about why we need to define what proceeds are in this measurement of return or investment from an ICANN perspective, and that we probably should look at using models which are more akin to social return on investment, or an SROI model, which is established in the (art) and in the literature.

We can certainly tell them that we would be using that type of modeling and we'd also be establishing a common currency of terms which link to the ICANN strategic planning objectives, other the key focus areas,

projects and other documentation. And to that end, that's more of the yes. We can probably do some of the common currency work. But could we look into our crystal ball and say that there will be a measure of some 32.5% increase on whatever? No.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: So Cheryl, let me follow up. It's Olivier again for the transcript. How do politicians do it?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: We baffle them with bullshit. [laughs] It's Cheryl for the record.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: You might have the first task for your working group to project the...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: The art, the art. Did you notice I said the art of the return on investment calculations? It's just like statistics, you know damned lies and statistics? You can make an ROI model pretty much say whatever you want depending on how you cut the cake and how you balance what goes above the line and what goes below. But everyone who knows how to read those things knows that.

So what we need to do is to be very clear and very declarative, very deliberate and say what we are going to be measuring, why we think we can measure that and why we think those rewards will be of value to ICANN.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Well, thank you. Any questions by anyone? And I see no hands. I see that people have to go soon. We are eleven minutes past the theoretic end of this call. So I guess we can move into the next steps and that's just a few minutes to let us know. We've got several action items that are listed. You can see them on the bottom right-hand side of your screen of your Adobe Connect. (inaudible) has two proposals to be updated in time for the board of directors June meeting and it would be great actually if we had a couple of lines, maybe not out of a crystal ball, but just say "We expect..."

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Olivier, I'm editing the page as we speak.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Super. The second action item, Logistics Group will coordinate its activity through Eduardo, Olivier and Darlene with Matt (inaudible) so that logistics group does not need to have a call for members.

The public relations group will coordinate its committee through the Global Stakeholder Engagement Team with Heidi and we've got a list of people already on that group, so that's great.

The charter was approved by consensus. That's not an action item. That's minutes. That's happened.

The next thing, circulate another invitation via regional lists for more subgroup participation and encourage ATLAS-2 with an agenda item. Monthly regional calls. More sub group participation of course, just pushing the subgroups where we do need more participation, please.

And then, the number six, the ROI group will align its activity with the ICANN strategic plan along a social ROI model. Any other points that we might have forgotten from this call? Being none...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Sorry, it's Cheryl.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: There is one thing that needs to be done by staff which is to create the mailing lists for the respective subgroups. I note that several people have said respective sub-lists would be helpful. Is this something which everyone believes is better or should we have everything in the same mailing list?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Oh, God no. Sub-list

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Well, there has been one person who has said no. That was Cheryl. I don't see anyone jumping up and down, but I have noticed several people asking for the separate mailing lists, so staff will create separate mailing lists for subgroups. If I can ask that the nomenclature of the subgroups all have ATLAS to start with, that will probably make it a lot easier to filter out, etc., etc.

That's pretty much it for today. Any last words from anyone on any points we've forgotten to touch on?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Olivier, Cheryl here. If I just can. I just note that I've already got some willing subjects into the ROI team from this call but we would like people from Africa and North America to join post haste.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thank you Cheryl. That will go out in the call for people to populate the sub-working groups that needs to be populated.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you.

DARLENE THOMPSON: Cheryl, Darlene Thompson here. I volunteered, so you've got a North America.

CHERYL LANDGDON-ORR: Fantastic. That's great. That's terrific. Well then, it's Latin America I might need seeing as now I look at your name there's "X's" under the Latin America line.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. (inaudible).

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, Eduardo. Olivier, can I ask, do you want this first piece of work before the board meeting?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Well if you can't product the full work, because I gather that it would be a lot of work as I suggested. Yeah, a couple of lines we would need to have as soon as possible within the next, I would say 15 days. By the beginning of June because the board meeting is happening on the 20th of June, I believe. Is that correct, Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: The 27th.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: The 27th. Yeah, so we have plenty of time for that. But we need to have something. And obviously we are going to have a call before that anyway. So what I would suggest is that you get something done by our next call and then we can all discuss it on the next call.

And that takes us to the matter of the next call. Should we look at two weeks from now? How does this look for everyone?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, it works.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: No, it doesn't if it's at the same time.

PASTOR PETERS: Can I please ask a question?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, go ahead please, Pastor.

PASTOR PETERS: Yes, for which subgroups do you need more members?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Let's have a look at the subgroups again. We would need more members for the survey subgroup and the events subgroup and in the return on investment subgroup for the time being.

PASTOR PETERS: Okay. I'll join the events subgroup.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Alright, Pastor Peters. Events?

PASTOR PETERS: Yeah.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Eduardo, I think our group needs more people because we have only (inaudible) and Africa, only.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: What group is that, please?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I repeat. The event group has only members from Africa and Latin America and the (Caribbean). So we need people from the other regions and I think all groups need people now.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Olivier, if I may, if you don't have the calls at this time, then you may get people who are currently having to be in NomCom calls every week at this time available. (inaudible)

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, we'll have to send maybe a (Doodle) for the next time and find out what is the most suitable time for everyone, making sure that people do right when they are busy on the other calls and that would help. That's okay?

And with regards to the populating of the groups, I ask everyone to continue on the mailing lists and you can send your candidanship to the different working groups on the mailing list itself, on the main mailing list.

Okay. I think we need to close this call. So the answer to the question is, yes. Two weeks. In about two weeks. And so that's for the next call. (Doodle) will be sent as soon as possible to try and identify a suitable time.

And with this I have to thank all of you for lasting this long on this call. It's been pretty helpful. We are making strides forward. I have to thank Eduardo again for having been at the core kick-starting of this all and I

am very glad that this is moving forward. And we will meet again in two weeks' time. So thanks everyone. Bye-bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPT]