
JULIA CHARVOLEN: Welcome everyone to the ALAC Subcommittee Outreach meeting on Thursday, 10th of October, 2013 at 19 UTC. On the call today we have Pascal Bekono, Pierre Dovonou, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Eduardo Diaz, Maureen Hilyard, Siranush Vardanyan, Joe Catapano, and Fatimata Seye Sylla.

We have apologies from Roberto Gaetano and Olivier Crepin-Leblond. And from staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Matt Ashtiani, and myself Julia Charvolen. May I please remind all participants to please state your names before speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you and over to you Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you Julia. This is Dev Anand Teelucksingh and welcome everyone to the call that is first outreach, the ALAC Subcommittee on Outreach. This is, this outreach is obviously a very crucial issue for the volunteer community of At Large in order to, well, inform potential users of the At Large community so that it can be made aware and then join the At Large community because there is obviously a lot of ICANN policy issues that affect the internet end user.

So, one of the first items on the agenda is something that ICANN has – is planning to announce very soon, it is something called the ICANN Community Regional Outreach Pilot Program, or CROP Program. So, and this is developed by ICANN, just to give a brief overview, I've shared

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

a link in the agenda to the Wiki space, but I'm not going to go through every single – that in itself could take over an hour.

But I put in the Adobe Connect room the key document, which everybody should have the [?] to read through this document. The idea being that, often the At Large community have submitted requests during the submission of regional requests to the ICANN finance committee.

And typically, both of these outreach proposals were rejected. Now, however, ICANN has seen a lot of these type of community requests, talking about how to be these outreach activities, and have proposed this program as a trial program to – for outreach. So here is what the deliverables are right now.

That five regional trips are allocated to each of the five RALOs. The trips would be for [?] two nights standard, and would be booked by the ICANN constituency travel. Now, the intent of the program is to, for the purposes of conducting regional outreach. Okay? And the document was the operating guidelines, which has certain criteria. Again, I don't want to read the entire document because, but if you scroll through very quickly, you should be able to read it.

Some of the key things though is that applications for – to apply for this program, has to be six weeks before the actual outreach event. Okay? So that's one thing. The second thing is that this is a trial program, and for only this fiscal year, 2014, and that – for those that don't know, that means this is only will be running up until June 2014, which is the end of ICANN's fiscal year.

And, let's see what else I should say? What I should also say is that there is obviously going to be a lot of [optics] on this project meaning that, any such trips will be published publically, and when the ICANN Board reviews this pilot program, obviously there has to be some deliverables in the form of some new structures that were able to become members of the At Large community.

Or the profile of ICANN is enhanced in some way, something to that aspect. Okay? I'm just seeing that, is this – let me just, one second. Siranush, are you able to now scroll it now? Okay. Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. So, sorry, this is Dev speaking. Any initial thoughts or questions from this document? Okay. I'm not seeing anybody raise their hand yet, but actually I do see hands being raised.

Okay, must be a delay on my end. Eduardo Diaz, you have the floor.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. This is Eduardo Diaz for the record. Just [?] is there a Wiki for this group already created? And if so, can you put the link there? Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay...

HEIDI ULLRICH: I can do that Dev, it's on its way. This is Heidi.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you Heidi. Yes, Eduardo, to answer your question, this is Dev, yes. The Wiki space was created for this and it is already up and Heidi will provide the link as well. Okay. Fatimata, you have the floor. Fatimata, this is Dev, you may be muted, star seven for unmute.

JULIA CHARVOLEN: Dev, this is Julia speaking. We are trying to reach Fatimata.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Can you hear me?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Fatimata, yes, we can hear you. This is Dev. Please go ahead.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Hello everybody. So, my point is about the role of the coordinators [?] for the outreach program. What I read is that they would – we would have to, the coordinators would have to prepare all the people also [?] in case [?] ...miss [?] ...there all the people. And my question was, if the person has to travel out of the country, of course, and would need visa, in some countries, it's very difficult to have [?]how would [?]question.

I couldn't find the solution for that because I [?] ...

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Fatimata thanks for that.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA:going to allow...

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks Fatimata. You're breaking up a little bit there, but I think I got the gist of your question and your concern. In terms of the program coordinators, this is what this call is also going to be looking at which is the next agenda item.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: That's an open question because I don't have an answer.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Understood. Well, this is what we're going to be looking at on the next agenda item is how the At Large process was selecting, and filling out, and approving such travel requests for these outreach events. How would it work?

Regarding your question, regarding the visa costs and so forth, that's a very good question. I think we have to keep that in mind when we try to look at this and come up, and see whether that can be submitted as part of this community regional outreach pilot program. So that is a very good point that you made there. Okay. There is a particular flowchart under program operations, which is... Trying to find the document now, hold on one second.

Okay. Here it is. Oh, Wolf, sorry, please go ahead.

WOLF LUDWIG:

Well, good evening. It's Wolf Ludwig speaking for the record. Actually, Dev, first of all I would like to thank you very much for the enormous work you have invested in this issue. And your paper to me looks, it looks very good. There is only one comment from our regional, from our EURALO perspective point of view.

You can even talk it painful experience. We tried several times over the last couple of years for almost every of the past fiscal and budget years, we applied, just give it again and again as an example for the ICANN to give [?] meeting. And it would be a perfect opportunity for regional outreach. It would be a perfect opportunity for capacity building, so there are so different and valuable elements in the annual ICANN [?] meeting organized by [?], that all of you know.

And it became an institution by now. Last time – the last event was in Pisa in Italy at the beginning of September, and even Fadhi joined it. So it's a highly reputed event, etcetera, and we were trying again and again to get two, three members from our community funded to attend such ICANN [?] meetings.

And so far, our repeated requests were always refused, etcetera, with various reasons unrelated to ICANN. I hope this new initiative, this new programs offers another door of opportunity that in the future, when each have identified an important event for its outreach activities, and applying at ICANN for some institutional support, that this will be handled in the future with more care and with more consideration, and that there is a little chance of being approved.

I think this initiative is going into the right direction and I hope it will be as successful as suggested here. Thanks.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you Wolf. And I should say also thank you because I think it is precisely because of the repeat request from At Large to – by all the regions, to be able to attend these type of events that offer so much opportunities for outreach, and that ICANN itself has recognized it, and has tried to come up with this program to, well, as a trial to see – to elevate these repeated requests.

So now that we've, okay. Now let's move quickly now to the third agenda item which is developing the procedure, and this is now, as I said, just brainstorming how this could work. If you look on page of this, the trip proposal evaluation and criteria, the list of certain criteria. It was to be pre-approved within the organization structure, that is within At Large, and include coordination with the ICANN VP within the region, right, before the request is filled with ICANN, is filed, sorry, with ICANN.

Its purposed goal is consistent with any established regional engagement strategy where applicable and/or ICANN's overall mission. So obviously, it has to be in line with ICANN's strategic goals and mission. And importantly, it's not [?] any other scheduled ICANN event with a similar purpose or outcome, which means that this is not really meant for travel to the ICANN public meetings as such.

Okay. And also, after the – after the person attends, and it is recommended that when you submit your request, there is the main

person, the travel slot, and an alternate in case that person suddenly becomes unavailable to go to this outreach event.

And it's after the event, within a month after the event, there is a trip assessment that has to be done and filed with – as part of the program, well, it's actually a report, a post-meeting trip assessment showing that you went to this event, there were these deliverables, [?] At Large structure to attend or ICANN received – how should I put it?

ICANN was promoted and more persons were made aware, and other probably other persons interested in other constituencies or groups within ICANN, there was more interest found, I should say. So, here is some of the thinking I've had regarding developing the procedures for this. Right now, this outreach group has been – persons from all five regions are on this outreach group.

I'm thinking that how the best way to approach this would be that the members of this – of any committee that is going to review these proposals, it will be done very similar to how it was done before. Just to remind everyone how this was done, typically the financial budget subcommittee would receive the request from the five regions, and then after review, it passed it on to ICANN finance.

I'm proposing a similar system whereby the requests for outreach go to a committee made up of members of the outreach committee and the finance and budget subcommittee. This should be regionally balanced, I mean we must have members from all five members on this committee, in this subcommittee I should say. I'm calling it the CROP review team for lack of a better word.

And it will be persons from both this outreach committee and the finance and budget subcommittee, and so ideally I would say we have 10 persons. One from this outreach group, and one from the finance and budget subcommittee. Now one of the things that we do have to allow to the regions is that well, one we surely should put down some criteria that, well, some criteria for these outreach proposals. Obviously, and I'm obviously being very factious yes, that thing I want to apply to Cancun to go to the beaches, obviously not an appropriate outreach event.

But you already then have to... The person's on the... You then have to think, well, what would be the most appropriate outreach event? Because it's only five slots for each region, there is a possibility that there would be more requests for people to attend various events and therefore we have to then rank or decide which one has to be sent through.

So the goal would be to, document some criteria for these areas outreach proposals. All right. So a CROP review team, I'm just calling it that, I'm calling it that, would be reviewing the various proposals from the regions regarding attending outreach events in their regions. And then this review team, made up of members of both the outreach committee and the financial budget subcommittee, that is regionally balanced, would then review the travel proposals.

And then after it approves it, would actually found the coordinator as outlined in the proposal to actually fill out the form and so forth. Okay. So, any thoughts or comments about that? Okay. I'm just seeing the questions. Okay. Sorry, Eduardo, go ahead.

EDUARDO DIAZ: This is Eduardo for the record. I'm overwhelmed by the procedure, but anyhow, we'll get it done. I have a question about, we have five slots per region. What happens when one region uses only three slots, can the two other slots are members in one region can be passed to another region?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Sorry go ahead.

EDUARDO DIAZ: That's one question. And the other one has to do with outreach materials. Are we going to produce that or are we just going to [?]...? Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you Eduardo. This is Dev. The answer to the first question, no the slots, the travel slots assigned to each region can't be transferred to another region, as part of this pilot program. I should also mention that the pilot, the CROP program requires the forms to be filled with ICANN six weeks before the actual event, at a minimum, six weeks before the actual event.

So there is no way to do any, I should say, last minute or last week type of event that you suddenly hear about. It has to be submitted six weeks, so if you look at that, that means that for us, for the CROP

review team, I would estimate that we need at least, I would say at least 14 days to review the request, clarify it, and so forth.

So that means the RALOs would have to submit it, I would say, eight weeks before the – eight weeks before the current outreach event. Let's see....

EDUARDO DIAZ: The other question was about outreach material.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks. Thanks Eduardo. This is Dev again. In terms of outreach material, ideally I would like to think that because part of the CROP program, requires for us to coordinate with the regional VPs, the outreach material could be, I would say, mailed to you before you get to the event. But this, obviously, requires again, you can't wait until the last minute to file it, obviously.

If you are in need for outreach materials, the earlier the better. And I'm sure At Large staff has lots of outreach material that could be sent to the person if approved.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Cheryl, I see your virtual hand is up. Go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you very much Dev. Cheryl, not so literally now, for the transcript record. I'm having continued and indeed more irritating issues with Adobe Connect lately, so I do apologize for my – not being able to put my actual hand up, I'm trying very hard.

Just to follow on from Eduardo's question on materials and Heidi's obvious response that there is a plenty of materials available including [thank you party], the link to the speaker's bureau. I think all the regions need to be aware that there is a great desire to have multi-purpose use of material produced.

So if anything is a good idea for one part of ICANN, we would like to think it was a good idea for a number of others as well. That doesn't mean that unique materials cannot be requested, it may very well be that unique material in the region, is an unique material that will fit their particular need, may equally be found in the pieces of other material resources existing or ready.

There is more and more being constantly produced. But if you can identify a particular and unique need that isn't met by existing materials, the ICANN wide outreach [?] of engagement and outreach activities would no doubt be very keen to hear about them early enough. So A, they can do their best to assist the unique requirements that maybe identify, and secondly see whether in fact such an unique requirement is a requirement that might be able to used more and more of ICANN. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you Cheryl. Just looking at the chat here. If I understand what Fatimata is asking in the chat, so – oh I see. All right, Pascal, I see your hand is raised. You go ahead and then I'll answer Fatimata after. Go ahead Pascal.

PASCAL BEKONO: I just wanted to know if there is a [?]....

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Sorry, Pascal. I can hear you but could you repeat the question?

PASCAL BEKONO: [?]....

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: This is Dev. Unfortunately, I'm hearing an echo when you are talking so just speak a little slower and we'll see if we can hear you clearly.

PASCAL BEKONO: Okay. I would like to know, if there is a common [?] for the pilot project, for each region.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks Pascal. I would say that yes, there is a common methodology in the sense that the CROP review team has to, first of all, first approve the RALO's request to attend an outreach event. And that has to be submitted, I would say eight weeks before the proposed

event. And again, because there is going to be a lot of [optics] on this, meaning, we have to really look at, well, okay, there is a desire to attend this event.

What are the deliverables that are going to come out of this event? Okay. So is it that, we're going to reach potentially new At Large structures at this event? If you are publically speaking at this event, for example, that might be, I would say, a higher – how should I put it? A higher likelihood that that would be approved because then you are the public speaker, as a representative of the At Large community.

The At Large community would again be more publically made aware to the wider Internet community, so to speak. Okay. Unfortunately there is quite a lot of noise there in the background, so I hope my voice is being heard clearly. Okay. So but we do have to really establish the criteria. We probably won't do that on this call itself, but we do need to establish it very, very soon, and document it after this call.

To summarize what – Cheryl's input was that there are indeed a lot of materials, as Heidi posted, regarding the speaker's bureau and other outreach, a lot of outreach material. And if there is particular material that is not there, as part of the – well, ICANN's global stakeholder engagement, that could be developed so that it can be shared not just for that region, but for the rest of the global At Large because – material that a RALO is interested in regarding some ICANN policy issue, is important for all the regions.

I hope I've captured that key point. Okay. All right. Well one concern I do have right now in requiring persons from the finance and budget

subcommittee, and unfortunately Olivier could not be on this call, but I will follow up with him. As chair of the finance and budget subcommittee, would be to ensure that there are enough regional members in the finance and budget subcommittee that are not members of this outreach committee as well.

I know that there is some overlap already within these two groups already, and I would like to see, obviously, well, different persons from the finance and budget subcommittee coming to this CROP review team, who are not members of this outreach subcommittee. So that's one concern I have.

And maybe one of the things that I has to happen is that the finance and budget subcommittee would then have to do a new call for persons to join that committee.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Can I [?]....

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Cheryl, please go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: [laughs] I would suggest if you want to expand anything, you don't expand the same subcommittee which has to be specifically and finally regionally balanced, i.e. the finance and budget subcommittee. Do what you like with this one, but some people, me included, would be most concerned if you were expanding beyond the balance, the budget

and finance subcommittee, if you have inactivity in members that the regions have put into the finance and budget subcommittee, that's another matter.

That could be redressed by then recalling those people and asking the ALAC to appoint others. If you need to dilute what you seem to be thinking as a negative overlap, then do it at this end, not the subcommittee one.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I get you. I understand. Okay, very well. Good point Cheryl, thanks for that suggestion. It was just something that I was thinking aloud as I was mentally writing my notes on this. So I think actually one of the key action items I think that we probably need to do from this is at least within some sort of ground work of identifying possible outreach events, and the date and time of these events.

Given that we'll probably need at least eight weeks before that event takes place, that means pretty much, well, the pilot program is going to be announced, I think, probably will be very, very soon. So assuming that means that we could only probably approve an event that will take place in December, which seems unlikely but so be it. So I think what persons on this committee, start identifying possible outreach events.

And probably should have this up on a calendar. Actually, I should just ask on this. I know there is supposed to be an external events calendar, is that still being maintained?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Dev, this is Heidi. Yes, as far as I understand, that is being maintained.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. So my next question is, how does one get their events marked on the calendar?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. My understanding is that during Gisella's maternity leave, Julia is handling that. Julia is that correct?

JULIA CHARVOLEN: Hello, this is Julia speaking. Dev would you mind repeating the question please?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, this is Dev. There is an external events calendar that is maintained, so my question is, just we need to email staff with the event in question? And then you would add it to the external events calendar?

JULIA CHARVOLEN: This is Julia speaking. I can do this, Dev, sure, just send an email.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, very well. Okay. Thanks. This is Dev speaking. The question is from Cheryl, and it's a good question, do we have some criteria for such events to qualify? As we clearly need maximum results in this pilot.

Okay. This is Dev. So I think, and I agree, and that's why we have to establish some sort of criteria.

The program itself listed certain ones on page four of the proposed evaluation criteria. Purpose goal is consistent with established regional engagement strategies, or ICANN's overall mission. It does not interfere with any ICANN scheduled events and so forth. [?] to document such criteria, and which ones would maybe – I'm just again thinking out aloud, that the CROP review team can do certain scoring for certain criteria.

So for example, if the representative is speaking at an outreach event, that's a higher score than say someone who is just attending an outreach event, as an example. Okay. So I think we really do need to brainstorm, I think the Wiki page will be opened up and we can start working on the criteria on the Wiki space and on the mailing list.

Okay. Any other thoughts or questions on this CROP program? Just looking at the chat. Just a quick one on Eduardo's comments. There is probably not going to be any event this year because of the six week restriction timeframe, that is correct, unless there is some outreach event in December, which, again, is highly unlikely. Okay.

I think Cheryl is typing, so I'm... Cheryl, if you want to jump in and say what you want to, go right ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Oh, okay. Thank you for that. Cheryl for the record. I was just thinking we could, and the Wiki page is a good enough place to start doing it, not

only expand on four, on what is on page four I should say, where clearly fitting in with ICANN strategy, etcetera, etcetera, which is something that I would not think every single individual application for a region has made, and in certainly the last few years has been great effort to see key linkages to the benefit of ICANN is done in any application for funding.

But we may be able to setup a point score, as you say, or a waiting system whereby the newness as well as the relevance of the outreach could be measured. The number of potential degree of outreach, there is a difference between talking as a key note speaker or a d note speaker, for a group of 80 versus 800 or 8,000.

And of course, whether or not [?] a speaker, but also whether or not there is booths available, presentations being made, whether they're doing this work and so on, and so on in some sort of sliding scale. That probably is the work of this committee, I would of thought and will reoccupy, I think, most of the meetings for the rest of this year.

It would be ideal to have that really clear to regions as a criteria for the review team to start using so that applications that come in and perhaps in the November and December period, or certainly the December/January period might even have the benefit of knowing that well in advance. Otherwise, as soon as this go public you're going to get people putting in and then you're going to have people going, "Oh no, that's not as good as someone else's."

The other thing that I think that you might want to make really clear early on Dev is whether or not it is by courtesy or it is required that the

applications for these CROP activities has to come from the RALO or whether you are accepting it directly from ALSs, or indeed, whether you are accepting them directly from members of ALSs. Because there again, there is at least three tiers of administrative complexity, but also three levels what we can only assume is wider community support.

And you could, of course, if you have a situation where you are expecting Mary Smith being able to put in an application that Mary Smith is going to the same things as the president of their At Large structure is presenting at. And it may be that choosing one way or the other may be appropriate there.

And of course, we probably do want to make sure that the regional At Large organizational structures as in the actual leadership are properly engaged here. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you Cheryl. So indeed, I think a weighting or scoring system would have to be documented and put out so that when we give the notification to all of the RALOs that, about the CROP program and the criteria so that we don't have, as you say, in a sense jumping the gun and submitting something that we may even have to turn down because it really doesn't match the criteria or they didn't understand it thoroughly. My thinking would be that, to answer the second part of the question that whether the...

The request can come from an At Large structure independent of the RALO. Personally, I don't see – well, I would say not happening [?].

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: We've had that happen in Asia-Pacific, early on when we first started asking for external, for non ALAC driven but regional funding things. We've certainly had individuals ask as well as regions and ALSs.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Well, how should I put it? Before this program came about, and all those type of RALO requests, it went out to the RALOs themselves, so it's the RALOs – so at least the RALO has to give it, how would I say – its approval or at least the RALO chair is made of the request so that it can be sensitized within the RALO as to what the event is a priority to them.

Because I think what can happen is that, for example, you can have – let's say that there are six possible outreach events, just as a scenario. So the RALO – and there is only five travel spots. Now the thing is that you can have more than one travel going to an event, but then you have to really think, if the two speakers or the two attendees going to this outreach event will achieve different deliverables at this event, then that might be a better use of outreach then say one person going to one event and one person going to a second event, as an example.

So the RALOs really have to be onboard, so my thinking would be that this outreach committee would be working with the RALOs, the RALO chairs at least, to ensure that the RALO is made aware, not just something totally independent so to speak, from an At Large structure without the RALO not being aware of it.

I see Cheryl, just for the record, Cheryl is saying that she agrees and should have clear RALO support. Okay. Well, I know that most of the time was going to be discussing this, but there is two other things that I wanted to bring for this agenda and that is the review of outreach possibilities at the 2013 IGF, which is happening on the 22nd to the 25th of this month.

There is probably, well I just wanted to find out... Having attended an IGF obviously, after that governance call is a great potential for outreach. So I know that a few person are going to be there, and have you all filled out the, I think there was a Wiki space assigned for At Large... I think, I'm sure the staff will... And Heidi has raised her hand. Heidi please go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Hi everyone, this is Heidi. So yes, I'm very excited about what is being done from ICANN's side and from the community side at IGF. So what we have produced for At Large, as I've just put in, is an IGF At Large activity at the 2013 IGF in Bali workspace. You'll see that in your chat.

We've put out a call for members who are going from our community to please post the dates that we're going to be there. To post any kind of events that there are having or they are participating in, and we'll also do the same for ICANN events.

There are a few ICANN events on there now but I'll be adding some more later today. And lastly, this is a new item, and that's a volunteer list. So what's happening is that ICANN is at their information booth,

they're making this available for At Large and other parts of the community, to spend time there doing outreach.

And for At Large, an opportune time for talking about the summit, the ATLAS II. So we have developed, along with some comments from the ATLAS II public relations sub-group, we have a postcard. We are just now finalizing here in our offices materials, so there will be At Large brochures in the six UN languages, there will be your RALO tri-folds available. There will be the beginner's guides.

We have found the, I believe it's the AFRALO, I'm sorry, the APRALO popups that we'll bringing. But right now, we don't have the AFRALO popup. So if any of you in AFRALO have that, you can let us know. We'll keep looking here to see if we have that, but we don't have that one now.

But what would be useful is if someone would volunteer from perhaps this group to coordinate the At Large volunteers. We're not... There will be no At Large staff in Bali, but there will be some ICANN staff, but again, I'm making all of you available for these kinds of purposes. To bring together to work with ICANN staff on the ground for volunteers, and to do any other activities that they may invite you to do that.

So I wonder if anyone would like to volunteer to sort of be a coordinator or a co-coordinator along with someone else. I'll let Cheryl go ahead and speak. Thank you Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I would have put my virtual hand up but I'm afraid Adobe is rebooting yet again. Look, I've put myself in as a volunteer to fill in any times that the booth isn't covered by non-staff volunteers. So it seems to me that it would be a good idea to put myself in with someone else, if need be, to just do some of the coordination work.

Obviously, I'm assuming that [?] and other senior ICANN staff will be doing same sort of things they did last time as well. But I know Olivier and I were very, very pleased with the coverage that those who were at the IGF last time at ICANN's dime did at the booth, but there were times where we had a few too many and occasional problems and we had too few. So, I'm happy to put myself down to do some coordination work and indeed to make sure that we get spread across as much as possible.

Yes it is in my region, Wolf, but I need to make it really clear to all of you, I am not going to Bali IGF on ICANN's dime. All right? I'm not there for ICANN, which is why I'm pleased to coordinate and assist, but my first priority will be for the people who pay me to go. And that's not ICANN.

So with that ride up, I'm happy to put my name in especially because it is my region. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thank you Cheryl, and thanks Heidi for that summary. Well I see that Wolf is also attending, and I'm going to ask maybe Wolf, would you be willing to help volunteer to help coordinate the – to some of the At Large activities there, and it will be helping to man the booth and so forth?

Because I need... Doing the IGF, it's a large event and not one person to do it, we need more persons to help and so forth.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Guys, we need to have it cut into 40 minutes if not 60 minute slots for the full time. So we've got the Wiki page already which is asking for general volunteers, but beyond that, once we know who is attending, especially if they're attending on ICANN's support, then they really should be able to tell the coordinators when they will be available.

Obviously, we don't want to clash with their primary activities and obligations, and we'll sort it out there. I think if we go through one by one, that will take it forever.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I agree. Understood. But thanks again Cheryl for that. And again, the Wiki page was posted in the chat so if you are attending, please note it on that Wiki page. Okay. Well quickly, one of the other items on the agenda was the outreach possibilities. And this is one of the outreach possibilities is the regional strategies typically have an engagement and outreach component in it.

So we want have time to go through all the regions, but just to sensitize the group that if you're not involved in the regional strategy, perhaps you do need to be at least made aware so that you can offer your contributions and suggestions for outreach for these regional strategies. For example, I'll share with you what is being planned for Latin America

and the Caribbean communications plan, which is quite ambitious. It involves the communication plans for each of the countries.

So I don't know if anybody is involved with any of the other regional strategies, but if you are, then share it with the rest of the group so that we can get some ideas, share with the rest of the group on the list so that we get some ideas as to how to approach outreach on the whole.

I don't know if anybody has any initial comments from what they're seeing in their regional strategies. Okay, great. All right. Moving quickly now, when should be the next outreach committee call? Should we try to do a monthly call? I see Eduardo has his hand up. Eduardo, go ahead.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you. This is Eduardo for the record. I don't know, is this pilot program already announced? Or is it going to be announced? That's the question. And I will say one would be okay.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Thanks Eduardo. This is Dev. The program has not been announced as yet, but as you notice, it's already up in the Wiki and so I would say it's going to be very, very soon now that it's going to be publically announced.

EDUARDO DIAZ: This is Eduardo. So the reason why I asked is because I want to go back to my region and starting – for people to start thinking about events for next year. Should I wait until this is announced or can I do it like now?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I see. My recommendation, let's see if you can work on establishing the criteria first because I think we really do need to establish our criteria before we ask persons to submit to our CROP review team. [...] ...to submit anything to the CROP review team, we need to establish that criteria and again, we can establish the Wiki page for that, and then establish some of the proposals.

I would say ideally this month. I know some of you are already going to the IGF, but as they say, perhaps virtually we can achieve something, so that by end of this month, at the very latest, we'll have the information of that to be sent to all of the RALOs. Okay.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. So I said once a month for Eduardo, does anybody have an objection to that? Okay... Cheryl, go on.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: ...I already would like to dial out for another meeting, but monthly is fine for me. Sorry mate, I've got to go. Bye.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you Cheryl. All right, nobody is really objecting to once a month, and I'm seeing agreement here so once a month, we'll establish a schedule of once a month. Then for the outreach subcommittee calls. And I guess we'll have a Doodle for the appropriate time. Okay.

So we are two minutes past the hours, so any other business?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Dev, this is Heidi.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Heidi, please go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, just really quickly, could you please review the action items and see if they're okay? And also, for moving ahead for developing, for creating this review team, what are the next steps for that?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Well, okay. Thanks Heidi. This is Dev. The action items are good for the action items. In terms of this compensation for the review team, let me just think carefully. I would suggest that we... I'll tell you what, I will work with you off list on this because we're going to have to coordinate it with the finance and budget subcommittee to get persons to join this review team.

However, this review team will be looking at the criteria for approving the, for scoring these requests that can come from the RALOs for possible outreach travel. Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, that's fine. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. All right. Anything else?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yeah, I have a question. I'm just curious, on this review team, and maybe I missed that in the conversation, but why is this the – the financial subcommittee members involved in the review team? If you can go over that again just quickly. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks Eduardo. This is Dev. Simply because historically... Well, I guess my thinking is twofold. One, the financial and budget subcommittee has made the evaluation of outreach requests before, and that's because the outreach committee was not really formed until very recently.

And there is always going to be, how should I put it? The financial budget subcommittee has to then look at, I would say, look at it from the prospective of what is – how is this we need to, the overall At Large strategic objectives so to speak. So it was felt that, I felt that it is a thing

we really do need to have on both sides because in a sense, what the outreach committee, what we're doing is raising the awareness in the regions that this program is available, coordinating with the RALO chairs to make sure that they are aware of the RALO requests, and then submit it to this review team for review.

And [?] then the review team will then decide well, it meets the criteria or the scope or not, and then file it with the ICANN as such.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

[?] So for this review meeting that you put together, the fact that you're talking about putting the finance subcommittee people, putting them on there, is something that you have thought about, but when I look at it, if I'm bringing people that are in a financial – finance subcommittee and thinking that they're going to approve the trips. But here we already have the pilot program already approved five slots for each region, I mean it's not like we have to go there and say, "Can we do this?"

It's already approved. [?] review team, I will add there the chairs and the RALOs, you know, to be on the review team. [?] ...it applies with every RALO's strategy, outreach strategy.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Okay, thanks. Eduardo good question. I would say, the reason we need to have the CROP review team to be the coordinators is precisely because there is going to be a lot of optics, and we have to make sure that whatever program that the RALOs submit, there is going to be

some positive outcomes, or positive deliverables that could be achieved. So just having....

Well, if there are five slots and there is only one slot, let's say a RALO only submits one out of the five, I think there still needs to be a review process to look at – to see whether that one meeting request achieved the desired results. So it's very....

EDUARDO DIAZ: [?] have this conversation offline.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Good, thank you. Yeah because we are going to be out of time there. So okay. Let's, Eduardo, let's chat offline on this, and we'll post more on the list. So I would like to thank everyone for attending this call. Look forward to the great work that we'll be doing ahead in the coming months.

And this call is now adjourned. Thank you all.

[Various people say thank you and goodbye]

[END OF TRANSCRIPT]