

CARLOS VERA: Welcome to our monthly LACRALO call. I would like to thank the participants, the Staff, the interpreters. As you can see we have the Agenda on the AC room. This is the Agenda agreed and I would like to give the floor to Staff to proceed with the roll call.

NATHALIE PEREGRINE: Thank you very much Carlos. This is Nathalie from Staff and I'll do the roll call for you now. Good morning, good afternoon and good evening everybody. Welcome to the LACRALO monthly call on the 16th of September at 23:00 UTC.

On the Spanish channel today we have Sergio Salinas Porto, Luis Miguel, Carlos Vera, Gilberto Lara, Adrian Carbello, Alfredo López Hernández, Sylvia Herlein-Leite, Wladimir Davalos, Deigo Alfonso Bastidas, Leon Sanchez, Philippe Boland, Erik Huesca, Fatima Cambroner, Marcelo Telez. We have Alejandro Pisanty, who's currently joining the Adobe Connect room.

On the English channel we have Olivier Crépin-Leblond. We have apologies from Alberto Soto, Raul Bauer, Juan Manuel Rojas, Carton Samuels, José Arce, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Carlos Aguirre, Cintra Sooknanan, Johnny Laureanno and Aida Noblia.

From Staff we have Silvia Vivanco, Heidi Ullrich and myself, Nathalie Peregrine. And our interpreters for today are Veronica and David. I

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

would like to remind everyone here to please state their names before speaking for transcription purposes. Please also remember to speak loudly and clearly for the interpreters' sakes. Thank you very much and over to you Carlos.

CARLOS VERA: Thank you very much Nathalie. First of all I would like to give the floor to our Secretary for her to comment on the AIs. Sylvia, please go ahead.

SYLVIA HERLEIN-LEITE: Thank you very much Carlos. As you can see on the right side of our Adobe page, we have the AIs posted by Silvia and we have a summary of the pending AIs. We have the ones related to the two Working Groups. These are AIs that are pending. The first group we need to deal with is the Governance Working Group, which is chaired by Antonia Medina Gómez. He was not able to participate today and he was not able to participate in the last call and we were not able to communicate with him during this period.

José was leading the conversations to see the road that would be chosen. I have posted the link on the AC room so I would ask you to revise this link. I would urge and encourage you to keep on posting your input and feedback so as to decide the role and the final steps for this Working Group. Then we have to deal with Alejandro Pisanty's work. So I would like to give the floor to Alejandro in case he'd like to comment.

Alejandro, can you hear us? It seems that Alejandro is not able to hear us so I will post the link of Alejandro's Working Group. As you can see it's already posted. This is another Working Group that is open and we need to decide for this Working Group. So we will give a few minutes to Alejandro to see if he can speak. The last AI has to do with the follow-up of the leveling course led by Deigo Acosta.

Unfortunately, Deigo was not able to participate. Perhaps Sergio may introduce certain comments regarding the input provided to the list. Sergio, is there anything that you would like to comment on on this topic?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Good afternoon, good morning or good evening. I think for most of you it is good afternoon and good evening. I've been participating within this group. It has a small number of members but a strong leadership by Deigo Acosta Bastidas. He has done a great, great job. Not only him but also some of his Fellows from Ecuador that have been working on the platform so as to have the survey already done for our region.

So I don't know the number of surveys already carried out, but the tasks performed in this regard are numerous, and I was able to participate within this group and I was able to participate in the different questions that were presented by the Working Group in terms of the training course. And on the other hand there has been technical work, that was very important, so as to achieve complete transparency in the activities.

And on the other hand we have the decree for all the members of the regions, that the answer to these surveys are anonymous. So the goal of these surveys was to identify our weaknesses and based on that to be able to move forward to develop a training course, taking into account the parameters observed by the different answers in the survey. We developed a set of questions that ranged from basic issues, because perhaps the members of the regions may not know, and then we drilled down deeper.

The idea is to have general knowledge of the knowledge of the regions, so as to be able to perform serious work in terms of training. This is all I can say. I repeat this because the task carried out by Deigo has been very good; it's been a huge accomplishment, and this is because of the great effort they have made. So [shapur? 00:09:00] for them. It has been a great, great effort, and great work.

And I hope all the participants and members in the region are able to participate, because this will help us to move forward in the regions. The fact of having the Moodle platform, which is being used right now, well, ICANN is also using this platform. So for us this is a great step forward because we have our own resources so as to be able to interact with the platform without any problem.

So at the very beginning this was seen as the weakness, but nowadays this has been a strength due to the work and effort of ICANN in terms of this platform that was implemented already. So that's all I have to say. Now I'll give the floor to the Chair or the Secretary of this call. Thank you very much.

CARLOS VERA: There is a question Sergio. Perhaps some people might have told you that they'd like to have another type of access without any password; to have a more direct access. Is there anything you could add on this?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Well, in terms of the passwords, something that you and Natalia mentioned, freeware usually requires a password but this is not a problem because we all have the same username and password. So it's just a question of introducing one single user and a password. Otherwise this would be free for everybody and the idea is that this should be free only for LACRALO, because otherwise anybody entering the Moodle platform would be able to access our survey.

The idea is to have the survey only for the people in the Latin America and Caribbean region within ICANN. So that's why we implemented the username and the password, because it would be easier to control or check the amount of people interacting within the region and also the answers and questions. That's why they have a username and a password. It's not difficult. Are there any other questions?

CARLOS VERA: Are there any other questions? Otherwise I will give the floor to Fatima. Sergio, could you please answer Fatima.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Excuse me Carlos, there is a question from Fatima. May I answer that question?

CARLOS VERA: Go ahead please.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Fatima's question is the following: "Doesn't this overlap with the monthly training course?" Okay, first of all this is a Group that was created within our region. So this was presented from the region. So first of all this is a survey aimed at obtaining basic information in terms of training, in terms of the things we need to be trained in. We can have clear information and we'll be able to point towards concrete actions and be able to improve the monthly training courses.

Of course, this training that's being planned is deeper somehow. It goes beyond just a presentation because we're also including an assessment. Fatima is also saying that on the monthly calls we had a survey asking for training. And I would say that one thing is what we want and the other thing is what we need. So I repeat – this is something that is coming up from the region. This was promoted by the region as other Working Groups have been promoted within the regions.

I see many, many questions. So please bear with me because I need to read. The other question is, "Who's going to evaluate or assess the training?" Well, the first question should be who is going to deliver that training? In that sense it would be ICANN people able to provide these

training courses, and it's very probable that we work with other regions. But of course this has to be discussed within the Working Group.

This Working Group had four or five or six members and now we've ended up being two or three. No more than that. So it's highly probable that we invite other members to participate. I remember that some members from the regions left the Working Group. So I think it would be important to add or incorporate new members to keep on working.

CARLOS VERA:

Thank you very much Sergio for your comments, and thank you Fatima and Natalia for your comments and questions. I think that we should take into account the task carried out by the Working Group. Now I will give the floor to Alejandro Pisanty. He will talk about the Working Group he leads. Alejandro, go ahead.

ALEJANDRO PISANTY:

Good afternoon. If I may, I would like to make a comment regarding the Working Group that was previously presented. It makes no sense having usernames and passwords, because we can give that password to other people that we know. For me that is not necessary. That's why I didn't answer the survey. Secondly, the previous training course was also based on a formal process and survey requesting these training needs, even before.

So I think I'd like to speak about the Strategy Working Group. As you can remember, some weeks ago, my work presented the results and we

decided to extend the period for this [00:17:50] in one week, and there was only one comment. So I would ask the Chair and the Secretary to acknowledge receipt of this document and I would like to thank the members of this Working Group for their participation and to put an end to the task of this Working Group and to see if the community wants to create or open this Working Group again.

With this Working Group we learnt a lesson and this is that we need to have a moderate amount of members to work in a better way. Thank you very much.

CARLOS VERA:

Thank you Alejandro Pisanty. Are there any comments on this? Having received no comment we can say that up to now we have listened to Sergio's summary of the Working Group's activities and now we will go to the third topic on the Agenda. This has to do with the training program under the charge of Juan Manuel Rojas. I see Carlton Samuels was unable to attend this call. He couldn't participate, so I don't know if Carlos is online or if you have any news regarding this, or if there is any comment regarding this topic on the Agenda?

SYLVIA HERLEIN-LEITE:

No, Carlos, I think that everybody read the email. I think that Juan Manuel will organize the next training program and see if he will participate in the following call. And Item #4 has to do with the AIs and we have already mentioned that. So I don't know if there are comments in this regard?

ALEJANDRO PISANTY:

In terms of the other Working Groups, I think that we should add on the Governance Working Group. The Governance Working Group started with very good intentions but they were not able to move forward, as we know. And I think it's pertinent to close the Working Group to [00:20:56] the members and start or set the new tasks, because conditions have changed quite a lot since the creation of that Working Group.

For example, the At-Large rules have been amended and we need to adapt to those new rules, and even LACRALO rules. So on the other hand, Natalia Enciso had proposed something that I think is quite good and was well commented, and this has to do with defining procedures for the production or the writing of statements of LACRALO in terms of policies.

This is something of a procedural nature and this would be a very important task to be taken into account and to be carried out with a small, well-oriented Working Group. I think this should be the only task of a new Governance Working Group, which should work on the issues related to policies and statements. There should be statements by LACRALO to the community or the Board, or to perhaps increase representation and interaction among ALAC and other members. Thank you.

CARLOS VERA: Thank you Alejandro. Diego Acosta is asking for the floor. He has raised his hand so we'll give the floor to Diego.

DIEGO ACOSTA BASTIDAS: We confirm the availability of the communication and I just want to ask Sergio about the leveling course that we're going to proceed on and I just want to share with the community one thought: we agree that the dynamics of the ICANN community is very complex and we celebrate the knowledge that we invoke as well. But what the leveling course should do is have content, which should include very technical determinations with conflicts, scopes. And it should start to have a reading to the communities we are reaching out to.

This comment is given to you by a person who has had to do a lot of work to disentangle the complexities of ICANN, and I am in no fear to admit this field of knowledge and this ignorance that I have. But it really is that way. From the coordination of the leveling course we believe that the democratization and the strengthening of the knowledge of ICANN, of the societies of users and the society of information and knowledge, will strengthen with a greater dynamic of training that are simpler in terms that can be reached by people.

This is my comment that in general terms I want to share with the LACRALO community. And for the record I leave my commitment, my enthusiasm and my happiness to continue working towards a leveling course that is both good for the community as well as to people who want to be included in it. Thank you.

CARLOS VERA: We now go to the next item, which is the agreement between LACRALO and LACNIC. You will have a link to it. José Arce is not here today, but if somebody has a comment with respect to this, there were many comments in the previous sections, so if you have a comment please make it now. Sylvia, please go ahead.

SYLVIA HERLEIN-LEITE: I just wanted to ask this: I am posting a link and we need comments from the community because in the last meeting there were very different comments and we need to make a decision on whether we are going to go ahead or not. And if we do or do not want to sign a Memorandum of Understanding with LACNIC. So we need, at the request of José Arce, to hear the opinion of the community in this Wiki with respect to what we want to do regarding this Memorandum of Understanding. That's all. Thank you.

CARLOS VERA: Is there anyone else that would like to comment on this point – on the proposal to have a agreement between LACRALO and LACNIC?

ALEJANDRO PISANTY: I requested this on the discussion list. I said that we should have a greater discussion of some of the items of the agreement that were not properly responded and that need to be studied. And I'm now proposing that we close them in the workstations, to be held in Buenos Aires. Thank you.

CARLOS VERA: Thank you Alejandro. Are there any more comments on this issue? Something that Sylvia maybe did not say is that we need to have your input and to record your input. Fatima, please go ahead.

FATIMA CAMBRONERO: Thank you Carlos. As I said earlier – and I discussed this with José – by Buenos Aires this should be signed, or there should be a decision that we will not sign this. So perhaps we should advance something in the list or on the Wiki that the draft that's been posted is the draft that was used with the other RIR and the other RALO. But I think we should work on a draft that adapts to our reality and our needs and then decides what we want to do. That's my suggestion for the time being. Thank you.

ALEJANDRO PISANTY: I believe we cannot proceed with ultimatums from the Chair, and the vote of ISOC Mexico is against having any ultimatums. I think we should have a greater discussion. Of course, what we need to have is a draft that's adapted to the regions, considering the points of view that have already been submitted. And there are other points of view that need to be included in this discussion that we are having with certain reservations.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Mr. Chair, my hand is up.

FATIMA CAMBRONERO: My hand is up too.

CARLOS VERA: Go ahead Sergio.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I agree with the view that Alejandro Pisanty has on this. I do not want to personalize on the Chair, that the region cannot be hastened by terms that the region itself has not used. My opinion goes in the same line as Alejandro's, discussing whether we have a need to have, with LACNIC especially, the thinking that many times we will need to discuss issues in which LACNIC will be a party.

We have very concrete needs to do this, do we not? We also need to say whether we want to have contracts or bonds with LACNIC. That's what I'm thinking and that's why I asked these questions at the time. I spoke to them on the Wiki and I believe this will take some time and that this cannot be closed before November but these should be discussed.

We need to be [proud? 00:32:42] and listen to each other, propose a dialogue, and then from that moment on raise a strategy for the region. That's all. Thank you.

SYLVIA HERLEIN-LEITE: Thank you Sergio. Fatima, please go ahead.

FATIMA CAMBRONERO: I just want to make a clarification. I conveyed a conversation that I had with José – and this does not imply that this is a personal opinion on this issue –, if you recall, in the past call I asked what was the margin of options that we had for signing and for not signing, and all the variants in the middle. I agree with Sergio. I understand that this requires a discussion and all the regions should ask if we need this, if this is the right time, or whatever we think about it.

But there should be some discussion in the whole region and these should not come externally or copied because the other [00:33:50] are doing this. So I agree with Alejandro and Sergio in the sense that we are not hastened by this and we should decide what we want as a region.

SYLVIA HERLEIN-LEITE: Is Carlos back?

CARLOS VERA: Is there anybody else who would like to express an opinion about this? Perhaps in this case there is someone who would like to participate? So we're going now to Item #6 – the preparation of ICANN 48 from 17th to the 21st of November 2013. Within the RALO we formed a Working Group of approximately ten people who were interested in participating. There have been several contributions and inputs on this, and I'd now like to give the floor to Sylvia, who is coordinating the content we have

been working on so that we can inform the community on what we're doing.

SYLVIA HERLEIN-LEITE:

As you saw, I just posted an initial link to the Wiki page and when we started to organize the showcase and other activities, within the very limited time that we will have in Buenos Aires, I wanted to inform you that last week we created a Committee that will take this task to see what the best is that we can do and how we're going to use the very short time that we have in this ICANN 48 meeting.

This Committee is made up of ten people. We have people from the Caribbean and from Latin America as well, and the idea is that the community will continue participating with this Committee to provide ideas and discuss with them what we want to do or do not want to do. As part of organizing the region and updating what we are going to show at the showcase, we have already finished with the first stage of the ALSes update in the region. This has been posted to the Wiki.

We have been able to communicate with people and organizations who had almost no information on their organizations. We are now on the second page, where the Secretariat will get in touch with each of the organizations and ask them to update their information, because together with the Staff we have the intention of making a book with all the information that we place on the Wiki.

This will be a paper book – not an ebook – that will actually be provided for people at the showcase. It is important that in order for this book to

have a long-lasting duration, it should have all the updated information in it. That's why we're going to start this second stage. Is there anybody who'd like to make a comment on this? I am saying that the Committee is already working. The next meeting will be next week and anybody who has an idea should get in touch with them to let them know what the community would like to show on the showcase. Thank you. Fatima?

FATIMA CAMBRONERO: Thank you very much Sylvia and Carlos. I would like to ask a question that was made in the list regarding the available funds for the Buenos Aires meeting for those who will be able to participate. And this is for next year. It is not clear at all whether there will be funds available or not. For example, at one point we had to create a statement to ask for things for outreach, but I don't know if that was included in the budget.

Sylvia, could you please help us with that?

SYLVIA HERLEIN-LEITE: Thank you Fatima. We do not have a budget in numbers, but we have the full collaboration of the Staff, as I said before, with this printed or paper book, where there will be a summary of all the news and the information of the ALSes, and regarding the show on the [00:39:50] that we have in the showcase. But that will be determined afterwards.

First of all we have to make a survey of the needs and then those tasks will see the available budget. I think that perhaps Silvia Vivanco may

help me with this issue, because I don't want to give information that's not exact or clear. So Silvia, Heidi, could you please help me with this topic?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you everyone. In terms of the money available for LACRALO for Buenos Aires, for events, we currently have approximately \$1,000 and perhaps a little more. And that's primarily for the showcase, including catering. And yesterday we heard from meeting staff about the possible menu and the prices for catering and it's extremely high. So we're likely going to be spending most of that money – if not more – just on catering.

So any additional items, in terms of entertainment or a hardcopy of an ALS book would need to have extra funding from perhaps sponsorship. And on the issue the ALS hardcopy, you may recall – those who were in Durban – that AFRALO produced one and Fadi saw that, he was given a copy of it by AFRALO, and he very much liked it.

And what his initiative was was for Staff to work with the ATLAS II Organizing Committee to produce an interactive book for all ALSes. Not just for AFRALO but for all At-Large structures, in time for the Summit next year in London. And this would be more of an ebook or an online, interactive tool that would include videos of all of the At-Large structures.

So it might be something that you wish to consider, that rather than a hardcopy of a book for the LACRALO event in Buenos Aires, that you put

any kind of effort into this new initiative in an interactive, online book or guide to all At-Large structures in time for the Summit. Thank you. Sylvia, it's \$1,000 for that.

CARLOS VERA:

Thank you very much Heidi. Are there any other comments or questions regarding this issue? Otherwise in the first call or meeting of this Working Group we will send you all the necessary information and the summary, and of course any input is always welcome. If you have any additional comments on this issue, please speak now. Otherwise we'll move onto Item #7.

There is a question from Natalia to Heidi. Heidi, the question is posted in the AC room. Could you please answer the question that was posted by Natalia Enciso?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you Carlos and thank you Natalia for your question. In terms of a general assembly, all RALOs will be having the general assembly in FY 14 during the London meeting next June, during the At-Large Summit. So no, there will not be a general assembly in terms of everyone being – all the representatives from LACRALO – being present in Buenos Aires.

CARLOS VERA:

Thank you very much Heidi. Now we will move onto Item #7. This is the new model for the next generation of gTLD directory services. Now we will give the floor to Fatima Cambroner. Fatima, go ahead please.

FATIMA CAMBRONERO: Thank you very much Carlos. I am trying to find the link... I'll post the link on the AC room to the comments done regarding these statements done on behalf of LACRALO. This has been open for a long time because this was for the Durban meeting. The meeting of this Working Group was arranged. We know this Working Group as the new WHOIS. We had certain comments and then we posted those comments on the Wiki where we are gathering all the existing materials regarding this topic.

After this we had a few comments but they were very interesting. Thank you very much to those who posted comments. We sent a draft to the list and we had no objections, and then we sent that to the Expert Working Group and then we also sent this information to Carlton Samuels with a member of our region who belongs to this Expert Working Group to get comments.

These comments were read. Of course I'm not going to read all the information because the information is contained in the link I've just posted. They took into account the possible things that would be affected with the new model, and of course they took into account the users of our region and they impact this might have on the region, with this new way of gathering information.

Also, this Working Group will produce a report that will be circulated before the Buenos Aires meeting, so I think it would be interesting that we pay attention to this Working Group so that we can follow up with them and participate in the meeting that will be held in Buenos Aires.

Alejandro made very interesting comments that were taken into account. So Alejandro, if you would like to make any other comment I give the floor to you. This is all on my part. Thank you very much.

ALEJANDRO PISANTY: I have no comments for now. Thank you.

SYLVIA HERLEIN-LEITE: Carlos seems to have dropped so Fatima, thank you very much for your comment regarding Item #7.1. I would like to know whether Alejandro can speak about Item #7.2.

ALEJANDRO PISANTY: Sure, Sylvia, I will try and make a very brief comment on the background. We're talking about the comments of ALAC regarding the documents related to the directory, based on a framework for the stability, security and resiliency of the DNS. This work was started by the Board, based on the work done by the Revision Working Group that I was leading between 2010 and 2012. This report recommends this framework, and the Board created a Working Group.

So this new Working Group hires consulting members to produce an analysis of this draft. The [00:49:49] will give a final report and this is admitted for comments for ALAC. The comment of the ALAC is that the work of [00:50:06] should slow down. The proposal is that ALAC proposes to speed up with the work for that framework to start working, and we will never have an exhaustive, complete or full framework.

The idea is to create a new framework based on the experiences acquired. In terms of the technical issues and apart from the work I've mentioned, a new Working Group from the community was created – this included ALAC, the constituencies and the gNSO. This is known as the DSSA Working Group and this Working Group studied the possible attacks and vulnerabilities of the DNS.

It presented a report that was also considered by the Board. It was a parallel work done, and I was able to coordinate this work with the Chair of that Working Group and the statement that ALAC is proposing is complaining about the non-inclusion of the work of the DSSA Working Group.

But I think the way this is done is not very appropriate because the argument, or the proposal is okay, but we need to take into account that the DSSA proposes to take into account the frameworks and standards that are taken into account in the US. These are open standards. And on the other hand, the Westcliffe project proposes to consider the framework and base that framework on the IFO organization.

It's somehow paradoxical that this Working Group is based on one country and that one is closed and the other is open. So it is preferred to have the national standard because this is the open standard and this is the option that should be proposed. I had the opportunity to speak about this with Olivier, so I think it would be possible to find an agreement for this final statement.

The last point I want to make is that the proposal that we've been working with – Carlos Vera supported that, as well as other colleagues – should not be voted right now as an autonomous statement by LACRALO, but it should be a kind of message by ALAC so that to give orientation to the representatives in this regard and to vote for this. Thank you very much.

ALEJANDRO PISANTY: Thank you very much Alejandro. Olivier has raised his hand. Olivier, please go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Mr. Chairman. I just wanted to add a couple of words to what Alejandro Pisanty has said. I wanted to just let you know that at this moment I'm still working on the statement that the ALAC will be sending. The statement as it is at the moment on the Wiki is not the final statement. The report from Westcliffe is a very long report. Some of it is actually quite good. Some of it, as Alejandro has mentioned, is not that good. And I think we really do need to have a strong statement about this.

I'm very concerned that at the moment, if you look at the public comment itself, there are only currently two entries. One is from a person who was on the DSSA. The other comment is from the ALAC, where we basically say we will be sending a statement in the reply period. It's a real concern because we're dealing here with a framework

that is not perfect and for some reason no one in ICANN is taking much care with this.

Now, I understand LACRALO have been having some extensive discussions on this. I think it might be a good idea to not only have an ALAC statement, but if LACRALO has some additional points that they wish to make, under the very capable leadership of Alejandro, I think that it would certainly make sense to make those additional points and to send this to the public comment period.

That's all. I hope that in the next 48 hours, if I can find the time, hopefully I will be able to finalize the statement for the ALAC and then we will be able to send this over to the public comment. Thank you.

CARLOS VERA:

Thank you Olivier. Is there anyone else that would like to comment? Otherwise we will go to #7.3. I think somebody else was asking for the floor?

LEON SANCHEZ:

I actually didn't ask for the floor, apparently my connection just dropped.

CARLOS VERA:

Then Sylvia Herlein...

SYLVIA HERLEIN-LEITE: Alfredo López, did you raise your hand? Well, it seems he did not. With respect to Item #7.3, the confusingly similar gTLDs, it's a really difficult name. Dev got in touch with me and said unfortunately he could not participate in this call, so I posted a link on the chat room.

He said he agreed with the statement made by ALAC and he suggested, in spite of the fact that we have a very limited time for this, that unless LACRALO is really against the statement by ALAC, he actually does agree with what ALAC has stated. But he wanted to leave this open to the community.

I think Olivier wants to make a comment about this. Olivier, do you want to make a comment?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes please. I wanted to say a couple of words about this, and I have worked on this with Alan as well this evening. Effectively, the statement itself is looking at the confusion when the strings are similar – when for example you have the plural of the string; for example .hotel and .hotels – and for some reason there has been some objections that were filed by some organizations against confusingly similar names.

And when the objections are filed they are looked at... They are allocated to a evaluator from the International Chamber of Commerce who then provides the evaluation of the whether it's confusing or not. And for some reason there were several objections that were made regarding .cam and .com. .cam being C-A-M and being confusingly similar to C-O-M, the current .com.

And out of these objections, some of the people who evaluated those objections decided that it was confusingly similar and others decided it was not confusingly similar and so we ended up with two different judgments that oppose each other regarding the same conflict; .cam and .com, which obviously doesn't make sense at all.

And this is effectively what the ALAC is pushing for and is basically saying we need to have some kind of method – first to make sure that when you have three different cases involving the same string similarity they are all judged in the same way and possibly all judged by the same person.

Or there could be some kind of method so as to not end up with some stupid, opposite rulings that serve to confuse everyone and certainly will end up in a lawsuit at some point because one or the other of the participants will deem that they have been dealt with unfairly. So we basically are telling the Board that they really need to have to express a thing to do. As a priority they have to look at this. That's all. Thank you.

ALEJANDRO PISANTY:

I dealt with this issue together with others at the same level where the ALAC proposal is, and I support these declarations very strongly. I believe the criteria being proposed, that... I want to make a comment on a special issue. We are discussing something particular here. We see these in trademark laws in Latin America – at least most of the countries – and we notice a confusing similarity.

It's a similarity that can cause confusion between the customers, clients, consumers, etc., and of course we need a strong legal profile here. But even before getting into these legal expertise I think that this is – as Olivier and the ALAC statement say – going on a purely visual criterion, which can be very [01:02:45] when people reach an alphabet that is not their mother tongue or an IDN that does not correspond with the mother tongue, and this can cause the similarity to be more or less confusing.

Secondly, ALAC stresses the fact that the criteria, aside from being insufficient – because they are purely visual –, should be more uniformed and create less bureaucracy. And with this background we need to emphatically support this with our representatives before ALAC to vote in favor of the ALAC proposal as soon as possible.

CARLOS VERA:

Thank you Alejandro and thank you Olivier as well. Is there anybody else who'd like to make a comment on this? Otherwise we'll go to Item #8 – are there any other issues still pending today?

ALEJANDRO PISANTY:

Very briefly – because I've referred to this on the list –, in parallel and even to the detriment of the preparation to the showcase and the difficulties we're having, which are very big, we should use the presence that we're going to have in Buenos Aires to deal with background issues, to deal with issues such as the agreement with LACNIC and the way to develop our PDP. We're proposing that we can continue Natalia's work

and to give her some space with the governance work. This is the best that we have for training.

And there are substantive issues, such as the new WHOIS, the benchmark for the DNS security and then other issues that have to do with the New gTLDs that take a lot of time in ICANN, and the procedural items that also take a lot of time in our normal communications in LACRALO. And I stress the need to have substantive discussions and to have training stations.

When they were part of the program proposed by Natalia and Fatima, based on the decisions of need for training, we're very efficient and I think we should continue with this. And finally I think we should foresee a planning station very well organized with many hours ahead and very active participation, so that we can meet the purposes that we had when we created the workroom. This cannot be done with a few minutes online – it requires attention and very intense collaboration.

And I see no other opportunity other than this one.

CARLOS VERA: Thank you Alejandro. Fatima?

FATIMA CAMBRONERO: I'm going to be very brief. I would like to invite you to also focus on this policy issue that's now posted for public comment, and also the ones that will be posted in the next few days. We do not need to be experts on these issues being posted, and I agree that we don't want to give an

opinion because there are certain issues we don't know about. This happens to me – I know certain issues are complex.

But if we all collaborate and start reading this, I think we can create good things and lead the voice of our region in issues that are really affecting us. I know this is a bit difficult because sometimes there's no reply to emails, but this should be stated on the email list and there should be a debate to reach a position where we can somehow solve our differences.

And I think we need to continue giving our opinion, participating and learning. There's a lot to learn and we're on the right path. So I invite you to join us in these efforts. Thank you.

CARLOS VERA:

Thank you Fatima for your input. Is there anyone else that would like to take the floor? I see no hands. Then I would like to thank you all for your participation and for the opportunity to coordinate this teleconference in September. If this is a challenge for all of us, as Fatima was saying, we need to participate, and I think having these delegations and sharing the meeting is very healthy.

We have more involvement on the different issues and we have the responsibility to get more involved. If there are no more issues then thank you very much for being here, thank you to the interpreters of course and to the people who've been involved today. As our Secretary, Sylvia, would you like to say anything else? Otherwise we will adjourn the meeting.

SYLVIA HERLEIN-LEITE: Thank you very much Carlos Vera for having chaired this teleconference. We invite other members in the meeting to volunteer for the October teleconference. Thank you all. I have nothing else to say. Goodbye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPT]