

NATHALIE PEREGRINE: Good morning, good afternoon and good evening everybody and welcome to the At-Large Metric Working Group call on the 17th of October 2013. ON the call today we have Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Maureen Hillyard, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Alan Greenberg and Dev Anand Teelucksingh.

We've received no apologies for today's call and from Staff we have Silvia Vivanco and myself, Nathalie Peregrine. I'd like to remind you all to state your name when speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much and over to you Cheryl.

CHAIR: Thank you very much Nathalie. I must start today's call with a most humble apology. The Agenda is rather belatedly adjusted to be vaguely and only just acceptable, for reasons known only to the communications between my tablet and the Wiki space, it would absolutely refuse to do editing of the Agenda in preparation for today.

Nathalie's been kind enough to literally type in a couple of alterations and changes on the Agenda from the previous meeting and we'll just have to make do with that for today, but I do apologise.

So if things seem a little familiar and as if you're having a sense of déjà vu with some of these things, it's because we've literally cut and pasted and done some adjustments. Please ignore the time allocations. Someone's echoing. We will just manage with the times we need for

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

each. Okay. Let's jump on in and look at the Action Items that came out of our last meeting, which was dated the 19th of September. Nathalie has kindly put a link to that in the chat but because I can't actually go anywhere... Excellent. We shall have a quick look at those now.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr to work with the At-Large Staff to modify a Metrics Working Group workspace Wiki page. That's a work in progress and it will continue to be a work in progress certainly past our next meeting so keep that on the books thank you.

Matt Ashtiani to find out if Big Pulse offers vote tallies per voter as a measuring tool. I'm not sure whether Matt's had time to do that but Matt's not on this call and I wondered if Silvia might own checking up with that AI to see if Matt could track that down.

The rationale there, just to refresh your memories, was that if there was an easy way to accumulate vote tallies per voter – in other words the number of times an At-Large representative in the ALAC or a NomCom representative in the ALAC had voted, whether that could be accumulated automatically rather than through the reporting and adding them up. So that's still a to-do. Silvia, is that your understanding? Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG:

Under the new rules of reinforcing what we were supposed to be doing before, we're likely to be doing more votes not through Big Pulse, so

that's not going to be a complete solution. We're likely to be doing more things by consensus and not by voting.

CHAIR: Understood Alan, but a measure of being involved in a high number of votes when called is still a measure that's required. So it was really a matter of rather than having to have Staff trawl through outcomes of votes to see who did or didn't, whether or not there was a tally system, seeing as you all have unique identifiers.

ALAN GREENBERG: I understood that part. It's not a definitive record of how you've participated but it is a record of the Big Pulse votes, yes.

CHAIR: Yes, of those times when tallying is done that way. Okay, so that one continues on. Silvia, do you have an update that I'm unaware of?

SILVIA VIVANCO: No.

CHAIR: All right. Well, if you don't mind owning a follow-up with Matt that would be excellent. Julia to set up Doodles for a Metrics Working Group fortnightly between now and Buenos Aires. The decision was to be at a

fixed time but the time has been offered between 1400 and 1700. We appear to have had that happen because we're all on a call at the moment. I must say, gee and ta and thanks for the – now I'm in daylight saving – 1:00 am call every fortnight. I really do appreciate it.

But we will battle through. So that's been done and we'll continue with this as a standard fortnightly call from now on, until we get into BA. Maureen, Dev and Tijani to lead the Metrics Work Teams and it seems to be and use Lucid for these Work Team working sessions.

This was a suggestion from Dev. He feels that the small group activities are adequately covered by Lucid and it would be a good opportunity for people to familiarize themselves with this new tool and as an alternative to some of the features in Adobe Connect...

Some of the features that Adobe Connect have, which are very useful with larger groups, is probably not going to be necessary with the smaller Metrics Working Teams, and we'll come back in more detail to have a talk about those Working Teams later in today's Agenda, but I am unsure whether Dev has had the opportunity to go through with Maureen and Tijani about Lucid.

If he hasn't, Maureen, you're on the call. Have you been given any in-servicing or is it just "read it and try it" on the web? What's the story, do you know?

MAUREEN HILLYARD: Hi everyone. No, terribly sorry, we haven't been able to find the time to meet up. I can see that Dev's trying to write something in the chat but he hasn't been able to connect or something. We're still working on that one.

CHAIR: Not a problem. We'll just leave that open. I know everyone's busy with a number of you going off to the Internet Governance Forum in Bali. I'll be [00:07:51] tomorrow morning. It's not actually that many hours away from now. After that there might be a bit more time on your agendas. Nathalie to work with Maureen on the Adobe Connect polling systems. Am I to assume that this is another one we'll leave open and will be done...?

MAUREEN HILLYARD: Yes. Sorry, Nathalie did attempt to make a time and we just couldn't connect. But yes, that's something else that's definitely in the pipeline as well.

CHAIR: No, not a problem. You are a group of volunteers remember, there's no gold at the end of this, just our undying gratitude. Silvia to work with Maureen again on the RALO leaders and I know this has been happening because you've done at least two meetings. So what I'll ask you to do Maureen is update us a little later in the call. It is something however

that you definitely carry as an AI and if you like we can mark that as complete and just assume you'll give us updates from time to time.

MAUREEN HILLYARD: I just wanted to say it's definitely a work in progress and yes, we've made a start on that one at least.

CHAIR: Not a problem. Heidi to add At-Large Metrics Working Group to the Buenos Aires schedule on Sunday, 17th of November from 0800 to 0900 local time. That's been done and I don't believe there are any changes. Silvia, are you aware of any changes to that?

SILVIA VIVANCO: No, not at all.

CHAIR: Terrific. So we're all set for that. And last but not least, Julia to add the Metrics Working Group meeting to both Olivier's and my calendar. And I don't know whether that's been done because I haven't actually looked, but if it isn't done I have absolute faith that the magic will happen in the not-too-distant future. Let's move on from our AI review and jump back into the discussion as the use of Work Teams.

As you've heard, at the moment we've got the penholders and the three Work Teams; which is Maureen looking at the outreach and integration,

we've got Dev looking at the tools... What else did we call you Dev? Do you want to give us your proper title?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: My actual title? Let me think about that.

CHAIR: Okay, come back to us if you like. But it was all to do with tools and the measurement of... Yes, that they're not a huge impost on Staff, etc., etc. And Tijani, I believe your particular Work Team was looking at the specifics of the new metrics that would be proposed, based on but not limited to the work that AFRALO had already done, which was in the ALS metrics.

But also I know that there has been little time for either Dev or Tijani – particularly with Tijani's commitments to the IGF in Bali... Dev, I'll offer you and Tijani some time now if there's anything you want to bring us up to speed on? Perhaps we could go to Tijani first if he has anything he wants to mention.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: About Bali or about the work that I need to do?

CHAIR: About the work that you need to do after you survive Bali.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Okay. For the metrics themselves, if you want proposals for metrics, we have already some proposals from EURALO, from NARALO I think and from AFRALO, and I think we have to look at them broadly because we're now speaking about ALAC and not about ALSes and not about RALOs. So we have to look to the metrics broadly and while keeping in mind that we're dealing with ALAC Members.

So I think something has been done, but we need more work on them and I to be honest I would not be ready to give a full and exhaustive proposal but we can propose ideas and discuss them in Buenos Aires.

CHAIR:

Yes, thank you Tijani. Okay, is that it? Terrific, thank you. I think the opportunity to workshop some proposed measures and metrics is ideal for the Buenos Aires meeting. What I might ask you to do is to see whether or not you think a discussion time of, say, 15 to 20 minutes would be sufficient. I'm happy to do 20 to 25 minutes for your topic if need be. We do have the opportunity to workshop some proposed metrics.

The other thing is of course if we look at section nine of the new Rules of Procedure for the ALAC there are a number of particulars that are already outlined there, and that's where Dev's group has also got a role to play, where we've already isolated measures that need to happen. A

tricky part is then working out how that happens. Thank you very much Tijani for that.

I want to talk about all of the Work Teams in a minute, but I'd like to hear from each of them first. I suspect that... Oh, you've got your Technology Taskforce meeting link there. Thank you very much. If you'd like to speak on anything done or planning to be done, that would be great. Go ahead please Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you Cheryl. I was experimenting with how to automate as best as possible some of the statistics that we need for the metrics, such as the meeting attendance and this is one experiment that I started to do. Essentially you can assign page properties to a Wiki page and then pull this into a report.

So this is what I attempted to do. I just picked five meetings and then if you were to click on those 2013 meetings you'd see that what I did was create a table, put the name of the person and then either "present", "apologies"...

I was thinking maybe I needed to put everybody in and then put it in red for absent and then the idea would be that then the Wiki page would pull all of this information into a table. Right now it's not looking as good as... But I think that's more due to the template that's being used right now by the Wiki. It looks much nicer when previewing the macro when you're editing the page. But this is one approach.

However, I'm leaning more and more towards what needs to happen in terms for Working Group pages, there will be a consolidated meeting attendance record, and I'm thinking that might be the more straightforward way and more easily consistent way of doing it.

In other words, instead of marking the list of attendees you would have a link back to the meetings and event page and then there will be a table; the first column being the names of attendees and each column for each of the meetings.

Then you can have red, grey... Grey for attending, green for apologies and red for absent, for example. Then from that color-coded scheme you could then see who's absent a lot, who's attending a lot and so on.

CHAIR: Well, even pluses and minuses and dashes can do those functions, and maybe less inflammatory than some of the color-coding of course. I just remember the concern that people had with color jumping out at them. Dev, that's actually really exciting and I'm just wondering how much time you would want in our Buenos Aires meeting to discuss what your Work Team is doing?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Well, I would say about ten minutes would be fine. I think what I'll do is expand on this. I'll take one or two Working Groups and then try to do

some of this consolidated information and see it, look at it more closely and see whether it's useful or not.

CHAIR: Terrific, okay. I see Tijani's hand up but Alan... Were you...? Is that an old hand from Tijani or...?

ALAN GREENBERG: Just two quick points. Regarding color-coding, Cheryl, you're right, the red waves flags at people but I strongly support color-coding. It makes it so much easier to scan something and look at it, but let's avoid red. Make the non-attending blue or something like that. Blue cools and red inflames people. I think we can avoid part of the problem by using pastels for everything; including non-attendees. But color-coding is easier to get a feeling quickly out of something.

With regards tools, I tend to be a Luddite. On the other hand you don't want people doing a lot of typing and it dawns on me that one could easily write an Excel macro that if you cut and paste the attendance list into a box on an Excel thing and then run the macro it can easily parse it and put ticks in the right boxes and things like that, which is not quite as complex as trying to extract things from Wiki pages.

And yet it's a few seconds of Staff time instead of a laborious process of filling things out. So we may be able to find something in-between. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Can I respond Cheryl? Thanks. Alan, I was looking at that possibility as well. I'm seeing in the latest Confluence, 5.1, that there are plug-ins for spreadsheets. So there is a possibility that once a spreadsheet is in one particular location the Staff would then do a similar thing where we just have a table – but it could also be a spreadsheet – and from that of course you can do submissions and so forth a little bit more easily in a spreadsheet rather than in the Wiki.

ALAN GREENBERG: It's just so much easier to write a macro, and the behavior will not change every time they change the Wiki and things like that.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes, and then the file itself, the actual meeting statistics file will be on the Wiki as a file. So it will be kept if the Wiki's migrated, etc.

ALAN GREENBERG: Even as a Luddite I support that. [laughter]

CHAIR: That is high praise indeed. Very, very impressed. Dev, I think you should practically rest on your laurels at that point really. [laughs] Thanks Dev. We'll do 10 to 15 minutes in your Work Team's presentation/discussions, and if you feel you need to have particular

materials available in terms of display we'll probably want to have those included in any of the Dropbox files that go out ahead.

I'm just very aware that Sunday morning at 8:00 am we'll probably want everything right at our fingertips for that and you're probably going to have a fairly visual presentation. You won't want to drag this through. I guess the other question is, do you want to use Lucid at that meeting?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Perhaps, given the short time between now and Buenos Aires, we could stick to what we know for now and continue to use the Adobe Connect. Probably after the Buenos Aires we could then look at using Lucid, when there's sort of less pressure on it.

CHAIR: So noted and so we shall do. We shall stick to Adobe Connect at this point. Maureen? I happen to know you've been interacting with Regional Secretariats left, right and center. Do you want to bring us up to speed? Oh, I'm sorry Maureen. Tijani had raised his hand and he did want to speak after Alan. Go ahead Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No problem, it was covered by the second point of Alan's. I didn't have a technical solution to propose but I do think that there must be a way that the Staff can do a few things to give the result without very complicated operations. So that was covered by Alan.

CHAIR: Thank you Tijani. Maureen, back to you.

MAUREEN HILLYARD: I did have – I think I mentioned this in another meeting – [00:24:30] my technology wasn't fully operational, but I was able to load in an explanation. I'm yet to get any feedback but I'm hoping to be able to [slightly help? 00:24:45] with people and another meeting is planned for November 1st, I think. I'll check that. So continuing dialogue.

CHAIR: Thank you Maureen. I wanted to just ask you, as we plan for our Buenos Aires Agenda, would you be happy with ten minutes, or do you want to make it 15 minutes and then discussion? Or what is it that you want to have allocated for your Work Team interactions?

MAUREEN HILLYARD: I would like to perhaps do a little bit of an update there, but I would like to have a question and answer thing. That would be really good. A little section of time for that would be great.

CHAIR: Am I hearing 15 minutes from you then?

MAUREEN HILLYARD: Okay, all right.

CHAIR: We only have an hour, which is why...

MAUREEN HILLYARD: Yes. I think a ten-minute presentation and some questions and things would be ample.

CHAIR: All right. Now I'm running 10 to 15 minutes for Dev's Work Team, 10 to 15 minutes for Maureen's, and 15 to 20... And in fact what we'll do is try and get all the administrivia over as soon as humanly possible, and ensure Tijani's interactions are given as much time as humanly possible with a five-minute review of what's been said and done, next steps and Action Items after that.

So it will be a fairly simple Agenda, so I'll put that together now. Well, not now, but in the next few days and get that off to Staff. But that means you've all got timings now to work with if you're putting a presentation together or wanting to do a Q&A, as you said you'd like to do Maureen.

So to that end there's two things I wanted to ask you all as penholders and Work Team Leaders about... 8:00 am is not the most popular time to have a meeting, but I'm assuming that you would like to have as many

of the Regional Leaders and At-Large Community Members who have interest or otherwise along to this.

So do you want us to advertise on the list? Maureen, do you want to push it to the Regional Secretariats as well? We don't want to just speak to each other is what I'm hearing.

MAUREEN HILLYARD:

Well, I'm assuming that before Buenos Aires I will be meeting with the Secretariats, with the RALO Secretariats, on November 1st. So I'll find out from them what would be most appropriate and I'll communicate with them at that meeting.

CHAIR:

Thanks for that. I think what we might do is ask you to be quite particular in your interaction with the Regional Secretariats to say the meeting on the 17th is on, what time it's on, tell them to watch the space – although I'm assuming it will be in what we'll call "our room", the ALAC room is probably going to be the venue – and of course to say that they should spread that same invitation to any people in their region that are going to be attending Buenos Aires.

So we'll also make sure that it's blatantly clear on our public Agenda, the full ICANN public Agenda, but also our internal Agenda, that this is an open meeting and all interested parties are welcome. Having got people interested and at the actual Buenos Aires meeting, I'm wondering

whether you also wanted to take an opportunity at the Buenos Aires meeting to try and encourage some other Members of the Community to be engaged in your particular Work Teams.

I'm not particularly fussed to try and necessarily say to people: "can we have some more of you just joining our group," because those of us who are consistently contributing are doing just that, despite the fact that there are some others who've joined the group who haven't as yet had the ability to contribute very much. But there's plenty of work to happen in the future so there's plenty of time for them to contribute.

But I did wonder whether at the moment you three wanted to specifically do some outreach and hijack one or two characters that you think might make particular contributions to your work pieces. You don't have to answer that now; I just thought I'd raise it as an opportunity for you to get perhaps one or two other people involved in the particular work that your teams are doing.

If you wanted to be formal, of course, we can then send formal calls but I'll take your advice on that. Did I hear you Maureen?

MAUREEN HILLYARD:

Yes, Maureen here. I was just going to say that Sylvia Herlein-Leite is going to schedule some time for me with the RALO meeting and I have already considered some people within each of those sections who I'm [00:30:56] to provide some assistance.

CHAIR:

Excellent. Terrific. I think what it is is each of you should have your own autonomy to try and get the talent you need to help you along. Now, it'll be a standing Agenda Item on all of our future meetings to have a brief update on where you are at, and what I'd like to encourage you to do is – there's always at least a skeletal Agenda put out early on the meeting pages.

Feel free to edit, put any links to pages, all those sorts of things on the next meeting page. And to that end I'd like to make sure that when Nathalie and the Team, or Silvia puts the next meeting page in the next fortnight up, it'd be delightful to get one or two meetings ahead so we have a couple of the dates listed. Now we've got the six-meeting schedule. And so the Sub-Teams should be able to associate off those pages or into those skeletal Agendas anything that they want to bring to our attention.

So that kind of means us getting one or two dates ahead of ourselves. I think that could be quite handy. It would certainly stop the disaster of today's Agenda not really happening. Is there anything else that anyone wants to discuss about the use of Work Teams, and particularly what they're going to be doing in Buenos Aires for their interactions? You might just need to yell out if I don't see your hand.

Hearing none and seeing none we're going to move on. Right. The any other business call... I'd like to actually jump back. I seem to have gone

ahead of myself into Work Teams and missed looking at Section (9) from our Rules of Procedure.

You all probably have a very good and deep working knowledge – in the face of Alan in particular – of Section (9), so I'll ask you all: do you want Nathalie to put it up in the shared space and for you to draw to our attention any additional measures of particular issues that any of you have seen with this?

Remembering that this is the expectations and measures that are already enshrined within the ALAC Rules of Procedure. Alan, over to you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Just a reminder that there is a second list of stuff that is especially enshrined in the adjunct document on position descriptions, and if I remember correctly, for expediency's sake we largely took the existing position description document and integrated it, making a couple of changes to make sure it corresponded to the list of people we were talking about.

But this group should be looking at that document, making sure that there aren't any conflicts between the two – because there could be – and looking at metrics for the thing that are identified in that list. So just as the work is going on, don't forget that there's a second document that tightly couples to the Rules of Procedure. That is very closely related to our work.

CHAIR: Thanks for that Alan. Can I bother you to put the link specifically to that adjunct document where it resides? Because I know you have them residing separately, and if that link can go under “references” on the Wiki page that would be excellent. Now, who’s going to own that compare and contrast work?

Do you think it should sit with Tijani’s work, although it does have reference to Dev’s as well...? Or Alan, is it something that you want to have an oversight role on? What’s your suggestion there?

ALAN GREENBERG: I’m not taking on the responsibility but I’ll certainly work with people.

CHAIR: Right. That’s fine. You rush to the lead of many things. We don’t have to force you to the front all the time.

ALAN GREENBERG: Indeed, but I rush to the lead of not delivering on things I promise also, so I’ll cut back to the things I know I can handle in a 27-hour day.

CHAIR: Only 27 hours? Okay, so I guess that leads me to tend to suggest... Tijani, do you think that this compare and contrast work might be

something that could fit in your Sub-Team and that Alan could assist in that particular work?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, it is certainly included in my work but for sure Alan should help and he's ready to help so thank you very much. I want to ask you, Cheryl, I didn't find the list of the Members of this Working Group on Metrics. Where can I find it? Because I need to call people to integrate my Sub-Group so that we work together. Why do I have to work alone?

CHAIR: I'd love to tell you I have the URL for the Wiki page at my beck and call but I don't because I don't memorize those. But either Silvia or Nathalie will pop that into the chat for you right now. There we go, Dev's beat them to it. Well done. There's the link.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. Thank you very much.

CHAIR: I think it's two ICANN meetings now asking people to concern and consider the regional balance on that list. So that's what it is and of course come Buenos Aires it's quite probably that you'll be able to hijack one or two other people that you think are talented. So what we've decided then is that this compare and contrast work, particularly from

the adjunct document, will be within the existing Sub-Team that Tijani's heading up now and will contribute and no doubt end up being a major player, despite his best intentions on this work.

But that's going to live under your larger group than Tijani, so that's good. Silvia, over to you.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Yes, while you were speaking Maureen and I were chatting and one idea is to have a quick chat before my conversation with each of the RALO Leaders – Maureen volunteers to do that – so I will schedule a quick chat with each of them so Maureen can explain the metrics and the objectives of this work in more detail, and have a more fluid conversation with each of the RALO Leaders. So I will be doing that and I have noted this as an Action Item.

CHAIR:

Thank you very much Silvia and Maureen. This is terrific. Thank you. Is there any other points or discussions that anyone wants to make on Section (9), recognizing that you might not have all recently read and digested the adjunct document, but of course all the ALAC Members, currently serving ALAC Members will have read it and committed it to memory when they voted on it, wouldn't they, Alan?

But that will be on the Wiki page, if not momentarily then in the not-too-distant future. And what we might do is spend a small amount of time in

our next meeting's Agenda to look at that adjunct document and make sure we all know what we're talking about.

ALAN GREENBERG: It's in the chat now but it will be on the Wiki soon.

CHAIR: Thanks for that Alan. I'd appreciate that. That would be good. All right, so let's leave what was Item #3 then alone and we've already really done Item #4, which is just me doing things backwards. That's going to bring me to a call for any other business. Olivier? See what happens when you let the boss join in? [laughter]

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I was just... I missed the last call and I'm afraid I haven't had a chance to listen to the recording or read the transcript. I just wanted to have a quick idea of what our timeframes were for this group to devise a set of metrics that we can start working with. The reason being I am concerned we are now coming up with a new set of Nominating Committee Appointees and of course a new set of ALAC Members.

Is it the view of this group that some metrics could already start getting recorded whilst work goes on, to define a fuller set?

CHAIR: Thanks for the question Olivier. I'm very tempted to answer that myself. That's not my job. I would be very surprised if Alan and Tijani and Dev and Maureen didn't have an opinion on that however, so I'm going to open up the floor, even though I suspect I could second-guess what they're going to say. Who wants to go first?

ALAN GREENBERG: I'll go first. In theory we are collecting numbers as of two weeks ago. In practice that might not be happening but the rules are in effect and we are supposed to be using them. To the extent that that's tempered by reality, so be it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That's exactly the gist of my question. Are we in the position where we stand today to go with practice? Because of course we've got the new Rules of Procedures. I'm eager to get things going on this.

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier, very few of the Metrics we're proposing are going to kick in with remediation after three weeks. Presumably most of them are longer term. And I would like to think on pretty much anything we're measuring we're at least recording it now. So minutes of meetings should be saying who's attending. We should have records of who's voting. We should have records of who's participating and consensus decisions.

All the information is going to be there so we may have some make-up work to consolidate them when we have the tools and when we decide exactly how we're going to do that. But very little should be lost if we're careful about actually keeping track. The one thing for instance that we haven't done so well in the past is keeping track of attendance at individual meetings at ICANN meetings.

So we have to make sure this time around that we're doing that, because the Rules of Procedure explicitly call for attendance to be recorded on a meeting-by-meeting, session-by-session basis within the ICANN – not just who's in the city. So I don't think we should have any problem.

We should be in a position of recording everything, and if this group ends up deciding that we average things over a six-month period or a three-month period or a one-year period or whatever the running window is. We're going to have to get up to speed and retroactively go back and get that data.

So I don't think we have a problem, I just think that it's work that has to be done and we shouldn't forget it. And we have to be really meticulous, which we've been moderately good at but not anal about unfortunately, about making sure we keep track of participation and decisions and attendance at meetings. I don't think we have a problem.

CHAIR: Okay. Thanks Alan. I see Tijani was very quick at putting his hand up. It's just you spoke first. Over to you Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much. I fully agree with Alan that remediation wouldn't be implemented now, very soon, because Olivier you know how controversial these things are inside ALAC and inside At-Large. We will propose... First we are making records and we have to make the records. Second, we will try to propose things and Buenos Aires will be the first proposals that will be submitted to the ALAC. And I'm sure it will bring real hot discussion.

Until we reach consensus we will finally be able to apply the remediation actions for the metrics that we propose. Thank you.

CHAIR: Thank you Tijani. I just wanted to raise the point that Heidi's popped into the chat, where she's asked us... The question is, is there an AI for Staff on attendance, and should it be taken at the beginning or the end or should a roll be taken? These are the questions that I'd really like for you to discuss now so that she has clear governance before Buenos Aires.

But I wanted to take a little Chair's prerogative for a moment and put in another alternative, Heidi, and that is a self-appropriate tool for self-reporting and peer review that that reporting is accurate is another way

forward for that. To some extent that's kind of happening in the chat – the Skype chat is full of “I'm here with whoever and we're doing this, that or the other”.

It's probably not a big jump to have that in some way more formalized, and obviously that would be handed directly over to Dev. I'm going to ask him to respond to that, as well as perhaps to your question more broadly and give his opinion on the answer to Olivier's question right now. But it does seem to me that we should be able to trust people to effectively and accurately self-report, especially when we're trusting others to say if they're actually not doing it accurately.

Because I don't think it's reasonable for Staff, who are already stretched beyond the bounds of human endurance of these meetings to be running around like blue-eyed flies counting heads. But that's just my biased view. Dev, your thoughts on that please?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Well, I'm trying to think of a way that that can be simplified. You're right, what happens in the Skype chat is that people tend to report in. They say, “I'm here,” and so forth, but is there a way to somehow make it easier for them to edit the Wiki page when they're in a meeting? The thing is obviously that, well, it's easy to do it on Skype, to type in a message saying, “I'm in this meeting.”

CHAIR: You can SMS to a Confluence page.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Well, I don't know about SMS per se, but there is an email-to-Confluence plugin that could be installed and what happens is that Staff can then simply forward or edit the chat or get people in the habit of emailing to this address to say where you are. But that requires the discipline on everybody to at least do that. So there's an email plugin. What it does is you can embed it as a comment so the email goes as a comment to the Wiki page or to the Wiki page itself.

CHAIR: Okay, that sounds very promising. I'd like to hear from Olivier on two points then. Did you feel the answers you got were in some way satisfactory, and would you perhaps – and I assume that that's germane to these points so I'll go to Alan before I go to Olivier but just to finish the questions for Olivier – tell us how you would feel about doing a self-reporting model as a trial in Buenos Aires? But Alan, over to you first.

ALAN GREENBERG: I would object. I think that for various reasons people won't remember to do it. We'll have inaccurate records and then we'll have people saying, "I was there, I just forgot to send my SMS," or, "my SMS didn't get through," and SMSs often don't get through in foreign countries. People don't always have a phone that works there.

I really think we're trying to over-engineer this, and I understand that we're trying to keep Staff work to a reasonable level, but keeping track of attendance of ALAC Members and RALO Leaders is going to have to be one of those things that's done by hand. We need to decide whether they have to be there for the whole meeting or the beginning or the end, or at least five minutes during it...

And this group will have to decide whether attending via Skype because you're actually at another meeting counts. I have my opinions on that, but we're going to have to come up with some formal rules. But I think we're going to have to bite the bullet and say there's a Staff component to this. That's my personal opinion.

CHAIR: Hmm. All right. I'm not going to give my personal opinion but... Tijani, you wish to make a response to this before we go to Olivier?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes. I agree with Alan. I do prefer that the report must be done by Staff and be done half an hour after the beginning of the meeting. That's the best way. I think that ICANN Staff are doing the same for the calls for the attendance in the ICANN meetings, so I think it's a good approach to do it half an hour after the start of the meeting because sometimes people arrive late and for people who just show up and go after the beginning they would not be recorded.

So half an hour after the beginning of the meeting would be a good approach. Thank you.

CHAIR: All right. Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I must say one of the perks of working with intelligent colleagues is that all of the questions that I ask myself in my head and that I try and answer as well they lay out suddenly in front of me with some people on the call asking the question; some making the point and some answering the question. And it's an absolute bliss to be here and listen to the discussion.

I am of two minds. On the one hand of course, as has been said, we want to keep Staff work at a minimum, but at the same time, here, effectively... It's one look but strictly speaking we've got policy implementation execution and the policy is there now in the Rules of Procedure. I think that this Working Group would have to look somehow at the implementation of it and the execution further down the road.

I would certainly be – as a first start, as a first step – for Staff to keep track of attendance at ICANN meetings, just as they keep track of attendance in Working Groups and in ALAC calls. And that's one of the

ways... That's the job of someone dealing with the call management effectively.

I do know – and I guess I'm not breaking any confidentiality in any way – but when Gisella was at ICANN meetings I would often ask her to keep track of who was in the room and who was there. And she would be able to have, very quickly by looking around the table, a list of who was there and be able to record this.

We're now not looking at counting the number of minutes that people spend in the room and the amount of time they take to go to the toilet and back. But what we are looking for is for attendance and knowing pretty much where people are so that if we do require them to be around then we know where they are.

And I can understand as you know there are other meetings out there and I think that the system has worked quite well in the past, apart from a few glitches. But certainly with regards to the ALAC it has worked quite well. So I would say that as far as the execution of it is concerned, it would definitely have to be Staff for the time-being. I do have the same concerns as Alan with regards to SMSs and self-reporting and people mentioning they are there when they're not.

I am aware of some people turning up for five minutes and then disappearing afterwards and then you just think, "hang on, what's going on here?" So you need that essential independent element. In addition to this I would just add that perhaps one of the recommendations of this Working Group and maybe one of the things we could look at would be

for any kind of optimization or automated system that Staff could use, instead of having to edit Wiki pages and make it a cumbersome thing.

I note that as far as the policy development is concerned, Matt Ashtiani has created a set of pages with a front page and then the next pages, and now his management of the system is a lot faster than it was a few years ago when pages had to be created from scratch.

And perhaps there are avenues that could be looked at. And I'm looking in Dev's direction with his link to the Technology Taskforce of things that can help us, tools that can help us or rather help Staff in being able to track this.

CHAIR: Thank you Olivier. I see Tijani. Go ahead please.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: It's an old hand. Thank you.

CHAIR: Old hand? Okay. Hand has disappeared. If I can respond a little bit – and I'm not actually being flippant when I'm saying this – I do think... Well, let me definitely not flippant to begin with. The implementation – and I like how you've dissected that out. We really have the "policy" sitting under the Tijani/Alan Work Team.

The implementation is sitting under Dev's Work Team and the communication, acceptance, buy-in and next steps type stuff firmly in the world of Maureen's, which I think is delightful, and I'd very much like to capture that in some sort of little diagram, Staff, if the clever kids in camp in the graphics department can put together three triangles or three circles or whatever it takes to make...

I'd love to have a corporate graphic that made that really clear. I think that's a fantastic way forward. In my utopia – and this is where I'm actually not being flippant – I've certainly been to conferences whereby something I am carrying, wearing or hopefully having not digested, is able to in near field technology know where I am because it offers me unique services and interactions.

I've often not actually joked – because I'm actually deadly serious – suggested that we could not necessarily put a sub-cutaneous microchip in people – I'd be willing to do that but there's this privacy thing that some people are concerned about – but we could certainly have a dongle that one could carry or whatever and we could have absolute record of who's in what meeting, where and when.

That's of course a utopian future. But Dev, I would definitely not discount it. There's a whole bunch of dongles and nametags and bracelet attachments that do work in these sorts of technologies. They're already in the conference world. And Olivier, don't even pretend to be so shocked. You know that's something I would have gone for.

But in the future we want to try and make sure that we're not making more work for Staff. So to that end... No, there's nothing wrong with a barcode. I'm going to have barcode jewelry and key code jewelry made. I think that might be the go. Anyway, enough of this frivolity. It is over-engineering, but let's see if we can give Heidi a firm Action Item out of this, shall we?

It appears to me Heidi that the will of the meeting and indeed of the Chair of the ALAC is that it will be a Staff roll call activity during Buenos Aires as a trial, and ongoing in the near, near future at ICANN meetings, that there will be headcount of those present in what room. Partway through, the suggestion was, at around 30 minutes into a session.

Now, I was loose on that with "around 30 minutes" because unless Heidi has 16 Staff they can't all be in 16 different Working Group rooms looking at the same time of half an hour. So somewhere between, but certainly not at the beginning of session; at least 15 minutes into a session headcounts will happen.

And obviously we need to make sure then, Olivier, that you make your ALAC aware – and most importantly the new kids in camp – that this is the standard that's going to be expected and they need to be quite sure that their head has been counted. So no hiding behind the columns in the room and that sort of thing; if they happen to be in the loo they make sure they find someone and say, "I really was there."

Olivier, back to you if you're wanting to finesse that? I'm sure Heidi would appreciate that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Cheryl. I'm in agreement with your AI, although I'm a little concerned about the over-engineering side of saying "after 30 minutes" etc. I think that if one might just look at it at intervals, certainly there needs to be a roll call during the first meeting of the day.

We have conducted that anyway and in fact in some cases we've had some poor attendance records and one of the concerns we've had is that with people arriving late – sometimes after lunch, sometimes early in the morning – that has made us late for the whole day. And no matter how efficient one can be, if you start late it's going to be tough to finish early.

So that's one thing. Another thing is definitely to do with the interval. I would say every now and then, maybe at the start of every session that we have – so it could be the morning session but then we have another session afterwards, etc. – Staff can quietly just do an attendance record. It doesn't have to be a thing where everybody has to go around the table and say "present".

And as I said, Gisella has already done that in the past. I don't think there's a reason why it can't be done and just done as a matter of process and told to everyone, "this is how it's going now."

CHAIR: Thank you very much Olivier. I just wanted to respond and have for the record Alan's question in the chat, which was, "isn't this meeting for deciding what we need to do, not dive down into the detailed rules?" And I would proffer Alan, no, in fact it is the business of this Working Group to make sure that implementations and not just the policy – as in the rules, as Olivier's now defined them as – is actually achievable.

Surely we've all agreed that everything could possibly be measured and all metrics considered collectible? But at what cost, human and in time, and to what use, is very much what this Working Group's business is. And it's no good saying you've set an objective of 95%, 75% or 100% of – let's assume it's attendance – if one is at an international meeting but then one is going to attend 95% of all the meetings one has signed up for, or whatever it is, unless you can actually do the measurements as well.

So Heidi's escaping but she has noted that there is time to decide how to take the roll. The bad news is that it looks like Staff are going to be doing it, at least for the short-term. Alan, over to you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. For the record I wasn't talking about this Working Group's rules, I was talking about today's meeting. And I understand that this is my first meeting and I may misunderstand. We were trying to set up our work plan at this meeting, not dive down into the original rules. I wasn't talking about this Working Group, I was talking about today's meeting.

CHAIR: Okay. Well, our work plan is very narrowed. It's all about between here and Buenos Aires at this stage. And we are going to be, at Olivier's request, doing the collection of metrics in a real and practical way at the Buenos Aires meeting. Dev?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Just to say that I agree that Staff probably need to do the collection. I've put in the chat just to say that I'll investigate whether there are mobile apps or tablet applications that do this, because I'm thinking that will be far easier than trying to edit the Wiki page and trying to put it into a table and that kind of stuff. So my question to Staff would be exactly what tablet they have; do they use android or is it IOS?

CHAIR: Can you make that an Action Item? Sorry, what was your second question?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: No, I agree.

CHAIR: Terrific. So what Dev and his Work Team need then is an audit – for want of a better word – of the equipment, particularly the mobile equipment used by Staff. And I assume it'll be either Silvia or Heidi that

own that. That would be great. Dev, would you like to repeat the AI in case I angle it?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Myself to investigate mobile/tablet applications for tracking meeting attendance and secondly, Staff to send a list of the mobile devices they typically use at the ICANN meeting. Do they have access to tablets? What mobile devices do they have?

CHAIR: And operating systems.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes.

CHAIR: All right. Fantastic, thank you very much. Dev, did you have your hand up for anything else?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Sorry, that's an old hand.

CHAIR: No? I'm surrounded by old hands. It's a very experienced team I work with here. It's not a problem. Okay, so is there any other any other

business, before we make sure that all the AIs are clear? I'm not hearing or seeing any. In which case let's make sure that everyone's had a look at the Action Items. We have to investigate... I think we might need to roll them up. I can only see three and I'm quite sure there's more than three that we've done.

I'll tell you what, in the desire to not take any more of your days, Silvia's been very prompt at propagating the Action Items after these meetings. Can I just ask Silvia that you put all seven AIs to the list at your earliest convenience? We promise we'll get back to you if they're not as we believe they should be.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay. I will send in ten minutes.

CHAIR: Fantastic. Thank you very much. I can assure you you'll be hearing nothing from me because it's 2:10 am and I've got to be up at 5:00 am. So the rest of you have got to dot the I's and cross the T's on today's Action Items. There is seven Action Items. Let's all make sure that Silvia gets feedback from you.

Is there any other points anyone wishes to make? If not we have our next meeting a fortnight in at the same time. There will be a confirmation reminder or invitation, whatever way you want to describe it, sent out shortly. I did want to ask you all whether you wanted to

have... In a number of other Working Group people are requesting iCals – calendar invitations to be sent out.

If you do want that to happen then it's probably something to think about and I assume that you can just direct the request at Staff, but then if Staff find the majority of the Working Group want it then we can probably make it a standing Action Item and pick that up as a tool for future Working Group. We have decided at the last meeting that it'll be a fixed time, so it'll be the same time in a fortnight and we will also get a couple of Agendas ahead of ourselves.

With that I want to thank you one and all and apologise for the slight delay of the time allocated, but I'd also suggest that we did start a little late so we'll forgive ourselves. It sounds to me that certainly Maureen and a few more of us would like the calendar adding so Silvia or Nathalie, you two probably need to have a talk about how that might be best operated. Well, the "how" isn't the problem, it's "by whom" that needs to be sorted.

All right. Thank you one and all and I'll talk to some of you very shortly. Bye for now.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you Cheryl. Bye-bye.

CHAIR: Safe travels to all of you who are heading to Bali and I'll see those of you shortly. Bye.

[general goodbyes]

[END OF TRANSCRIPT]