

JULIA CHARVOLEN: Welcome everyone to the NARALO Monthly Call on Monday, 21<sup>st</sup> of October at 19:00 UTC. On the call today we have Garth Bruen, Glenn McKnight, Alfredo Calderon, Gordon Chillcott, Allan Skuce, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Scott Sullivan, Evan Leibovitch, Eduardo Diaz, Louis Houle, Garth Graham, Thomas Lowenhaupt, Joly MacFie and Scott Sullivan.

We are trying to join Murray. We also have Joe Catapano and Christopher Mondini. We have apologies from Olivier Crépin-Leblond and Darlene Thompson. From Staff we have Silvia Vivanco, Heidi Ullrich, Matt Ashtiani and myself, Julia Charvolen. May I please remind all participants to please state your names before speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you and over to you Garth.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you very much Julia. If Glenn McKnight is available could you please read the Action Items?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes. The first Action Item is for Heidi to work with the [CTA? 01:02] to determine if a ticket system can be implemented to facilitate tracking of travel-related reimbursement. #2 – Heidi to schedule the NARALO Monthly Meeting in Buenos Aires at a convenient time for NARALO. #3 – Garth has asked all NARALO Members to make a list of ten potential NARALO ALSes to recruit in your community and Garth will send actual letters to recruit organizations.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

Heidi again – to find out if ATRT 2 on the 19<sup>th</sup> of September in D.C. will be a public meeting. That’s all the Action Items.

GARTH BRUEN: Do you actually have the Wiki page version of the Agenda? It sounds like you might be reading that from something else?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, that’s the only page I have. I’m not getting into Adobe Connect.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, because the actual Agenda starts with the call from last month, the reports and then Item 2.3 is about daylight savings time. Do you see that version of the Agenda?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I’m sorry, I don’t.

GARTH BRUEN: Are you looking at the NARALO 2013 .10 .21 teleconference?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: That’s right.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Maybe it needs to be refreshed or something on your end. All right. Just to go over a couple of Items that weren't listed. We want to make sure that everyone's made aware of the fact that daylight savings time will end on November 3<sup>rd</sup>, but this will change nothing in terms of the literal time of our phone call. It will remain at 3:00 pm on Eastern Time and noon on Pacific Time.

The second Item I want to apologize for is the confusion over last week's call. We've made a request to Staff to reserve the Monday in October designated for Canadian Thanksgiving to be perpetually reserved and we'll move the call to the week after. And just as a point of reference this is usually the same day as Columbus Day in the US.

And I know Columbus Day is not observed in every state but I still believe that it's a general holiday so it should be fairly easy to remember. I should have remembered that that was also Canadian Thanksgiving myself. Staff, can you advise on the result of the run-off election for Secretariat for the record?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

We had the run-off vote for the Secretariat decision a few weeks ago and the result was that Glenn McKnight would be the new NARALO Secretary from the end of the Buenos Aires meeting, and he'll be coming to Buenos Aires as well. So there will be the outgoing Secretary, Darlene, as well as the incoming Secretary in Buenos Aires. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

I appreciate everybody's involvement and patience with that process. Glenn, I see where you were reading from. It looks like there's a duplicate list underneath 2.10 of the Action Items. Okay. Not a problem. Then there was one more Item. I sent out a preliminary proposal to the RALO Officers about reserving strings in the DNS relevant to At-Large, and I cc'd Tom on that and we'll keep following up on that and I'll see if I can get some of the other Officers to back a request for that.

So going into the meeting now I thank everybody for attending the meeting and I appreciate everybody's time. Looking at the Agenda now it looks like there were additional edits. I don't know what happened to section three of our Agenda so we're just going to move over it for the moment and we'll go down to Agenda Item #4.

We of course have the Buenos Aires meeting coming up in November and we're figuring out when the NARALO in-person meeting and also the virtual meeting with the res of us back in America will occur. We also have various ATLAS sessions coming up. I know Heidi's trying to find out some more about the ATLAS meetings. Is there anybody on the call who has any additional ATLAS information? I know Eduardo had some last time.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Basically the Surveys have been sent more than a week ago and I just got an email. Matt is telling all that only 45% of all the ALSes have responded to the Survey. I don't know what the percentage is in our

---

region but we're recommending Matt to contact the Secretaries, like Darlene and Glenn, to push the regions to get as many ALSes as we can to answer that Survey. I don't know if it's been a problem answering the Survey but that's what's happening now.

GARTH BRUEN:

I'll see if I can coordinate a push to get people to respond to that. I know personally I have not and thank you for reminding me. I will make sure that I get on that. I'm being reminded that... There's a little bit of confusion on Agenda Item #3. Somehow it was scrubbed from the Agenda so we're going to go back a bit because Christopher Mondini from ICANN wants to introduce the GSE from North America, the Coordinator, Joe Catapano. Joe is on the call. Do they wish to speak?

CHRISTOPHER MONDINI:

Hi everybody. This will be very quick and I appreciate the time on the Agenda. As you recall, for those of you I was able to speak with over the course of the week since the last ICANN Meeting, I was given some additional regional duties for North America Stakeholder Engagement, and I'm serving as Vice President for North America's Stakeholder Engagement.

Many of you will have heard this is an attempt really to be engaged with the broader stakeholder spectrum across the region. We have been spending a lot of time and energy with our government engagement and a lot of that in Washington, and felt that the technical community in At-

Large and other aspects of civil society and business – particularly in the regions – were going wanting. In terms of the objectives of the engagement we're seeking a deeper and broader engagement.

By deeper it's a better experience for those of you who are active participants and volunteers in finding ways to improve communications and work together to advance ICANN's mission. And also – as is very high on your Agenda – it's broadening, and looking to raise awareness and identify additional talents and ensure that there's a diversity of voices represented.

So that's very high-level. It's still early days. That's' the main thrust of North America engagement. And with that I really wanted to introduce you to a new member of our team with the title of North America Stakeholder Coordinator. He's going to be doing a lot of the blocking and tackling on this. His name is Joe Catapano. He's just recently joined us from the United Nations Foundation.

Joe, if you're online and can identify yourself? I just wanted to give this opportunity for you to introduce yourself and we can answer any questions the group may have.

JOE CATAPANO:

Sure. Thanks Christopher and thanks everyone for having me on the call. I'm happy to be here. As Christopher said I've most recently been with the United Nations Foundation, where I was in Communications and Public Affairs. I've spent most of my career in the non-profit

---

association industry in communications and outreach. The Internet governance sphere is a bit of a new one for me, aside from some of the work I did with the WCIT Conference in 2012, so I'm learning a lot.

I believe this is my third week on the job; third or fourth [laughs], so I'm learning a lot already and looking forward to learning a lot from everyone at ICANN; both Staff and the constituencies, and of course I'm looking forward to helping everybody with their needs.

CHRISTOPHER MONDINI: Thank you. Thanks Heidi and Staff and Team.

GARTH BRUEN: Chris, does everybody have to be Italian to work in your department?

CHRISTOPHER MONDINI: [laughter] We like people with vowels at the end of their names. Absolutely. No, it's just a coincidence but it's a good observation right.

GARTH BRUEN: That's the best I could come up with. Thank you very much. Okay, moving on I think I know what happened to the numbering of the Agenda. It looks like the insertion of a new #3 changed the numbering of the list. I must fix that later. Okay, I want to move onto what is really #3.3 but is now listed as #4.3. There was the Canadian Internet Forum sponsored by CIRA on September 16<sup>th</sup> in Montreal.

Does Evan, Louis or Glenn have any comments or anything they would like to share about that conference?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

There's essentially not a lot that needs to be shared here. There obviously were a lot of workshops and talks to do with Internet issues, some of them very specifically Canadian on things like media ownership and so on. The big news... Glenn and I and Louis were all there and we were doing outreach on behalf of both ICANN and the Internet Society. The big news for us was the initial sponsorship of CIRA into the Canadian Chapter of the Internet Society.

So that was actually something quite unexpected that hit us. At the end of the meeting they came up to us and said, "we want to do this."

GARTH BRUEN:

Right. I guess two volunteers or as many are called, or something like that?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Well, between the three of us around, all involved in ISOC, all involved in ICANN and so we brought a number of the NARALO brochures out there. I'm not quite sure if there was any follow-up in terms of ALS creation on that, but we were basically talking up both organizations and there's not really a whole lot of news beyond that.



GARTH BRUEN:                   Okay.

LOUIS HOULE:                   The immediate result that I saw, even if we were working on outreach in parallel, the only result that I saw was a raise in membership of ISOC. So this is the result that we have for the NARALO, not much of interest so far.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:             Let me just add to that. We saw an increase to over 300 members with ISOC Canada Chapter, and largely because of the event. But what Evan didn't mention is that Paul Brigner, who is the Director for the North America ISOC, had the privilege to talk about Internet governance and he had to give the eco-system of the Internet and he leaned very heavily on the multi-stakeholder model that ICANN has presented.

He leaned on the three of us to actually augment his presentation and Evan did a fantastic job talking about ICANN, so I think ICANN got quite a bit of coverage from the floor due to Evan's, and to a large part Louis's as well, comments.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:             You're such a cheerleader these days. [laughs]

LOUIS HOULE: Of course Evan did a great job but I did it in French and Glenn didn't quite understand everything I said. [laughter]

GARTH BRUEN: Glenn, are you supposed to learn French in school up there?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: No.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: But if you want to characterize it in a specific way Garth, essentially you had some significant ALS growth going, if not specifically NARALO outreach.

GARTH BRUEN: Well, every bit helps. I appreciate it. I see Eduardo has his hand up. I want to go to him before moving onto the next item.

EDUARDO DIAZ: This is a question for the previous theme. I want to ask Christopher and Joe – are either of you going to be in Buenos Aires? If you're going to be there please come by. I would like to meet you personally.

CHRISTOPHER MONDINI: Absolutely. I will be there in Buenos Aires personally and I'm looking forward to spending time – I believe Heidi and the team are working to set up time for us to be together in person. Joe Catapano is not coming to this particular ICANN Meeting but we'll try to organize for him to join us remotely, but he will be at future ICANN meetings so we will be able to meet in person. I welcome that as well.

I suspect that a few of you may also attend IETF? I'm going to my first IETF in Vancouver. If anybody's there I would be very happy to get together as well.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: There is a list of the people that are attending the IETF in Vancouver. Glenn and myself will not be there however there will be one ALS representative and that will be the person from ISOC Canada, who is based in Vancouver.

GARTH BRUEN: There's somebody else?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Yes. Kerry Brown.

GARTH BRUEN: That's fantastic news. Glenn, did you have any further comments on the IETF?

---

GLENN MCKNIGHT: No. We were hoping to attend that. That was part of our outreach agenda with support with CIRA, but we've had some logistical hiccups with the incorporation so we'll not be there as a result.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. The next Item is IGF Bali. The Internet Governance Forum is going on as we speak. Is there anybody on the call that's actually in Bali at the moment? No? I believe that Avri's there. Is that where Olivier is as well? Does anybody know if he's in Bali too?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, he is there. In fact the people that are in Bali are on the At-Large Wiki page that I've just put in. It's a special page for the IGF and you can see At-Large workshops that are there and other Internet-related workshops that are going on in Bali. I don't know if there's actually remote participation there but you can see which ones are taking place.

There's also going to be outreach at the information booth for the first time organized, and they're going to be talking about the Summit and about At-Large, so I think a lot of activity is going on in Bali.

GARTH BRUEN: That's fantastic. Thank you. Also at this time there's also a MOB meeting in Montreal. That is the messaging anti-abuse working group,

---

and that's a lot of different security folks, ISPs and lots of people who are trying to stop various types of messaging abuse. I believe I missed an upcoming meeting on the list. Is there not an [ARAN? 19:06] meeting coming up that some folks are attending? That's passed already? Did you attend that meeting Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Just remotely. Actually Darlene attended it.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. I want to say that Chris Grundemann went to it. He's not on the call. Maybe I can find out from him later and we can get a report from one of them. Then of course we have the North American meeting in Los Angeles and then Singapore ICANN 49 coming up. Does anyone else have any other meetings that they want to make people aware of?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: One of the things that I thought was started was a spreadsheet about the outreach events that could be attended by NARALO people. I don't know if you're including it in that.

GARTH BRUEN: I haven't seen the spreadsheet so I couldn't tell you. If someone could give me that spreadsheet I'll start uploading it here.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. I didn't know if the ones on that spreadsheet were to be included in the report you're doing now.

GARTH BRUEN: No. Who's running that spreadsheet?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Glenn, didn't you start it? I know I've added to it.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. I've added Garth and Marie to the list as well.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Is that on Google Docs?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes. It's an Google Docs spreadsheet.

GARTH BRUEN: I haven't seen the invitation to go on that spreadsheet. Maybe it's old and I've missed it but I'll go and look for it. Moving on, our outreach and communications strategy. Like I said, like was brought up at the beginning of the call, we're reaching out to all the ALSes to reach out to more ALSes and we're going to be coordinating this effort. So I need lists from everybody and I'll actually make contact.

---

Something else that we need to do is designate a NARALO Coordinator for the CROPP, and that is the new regional outreach program. We had discussed making Murray the Coordinator of that and I wanted to put that out for discussion before we do that officially. I see Heidi has her hand up. Then Tom and then Dev, who's on our call. Heidi first.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you Garth. I actually wanted to hand over to Dev, who is the Chair on the At-Large Sub-Committee on Outreach, and that is the Committee, along with the Finance and Budget Sub-Committee, that is going to be handling the CROPP, which stands for the community regional outreach pilot program. If you would allow Dev a minute or two to talk about this and how the... I've forgotten the acronym. Garth, could Dev just jump the queue and introduce what the CROPP is?

GARTH BRUEN:

Yes, if Tom doesn't mind waiting a minute. Tom's put his hand down. Great. Dev has parachuted into our call. Go ahead Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Thank you Garth. Based on the previous request that's often been submitted in the past to ICANN Finance regarding outreach, ICANN has now developed this community regional outreach pilot program, or CROPP, for ICANN's FY 2014. So what the CROPP provides is a framework in which each of the five RALOs will have five regional three-

day outreach trips in FY 2014. FY 2014 ends on June 2014. So I think the URL has already been posted in the chat.

So how this will be working is that similar to how outreach events were submitted to the Finance and Budget Sub-Committee there will be a CROPP Review Team and that will be established when they review the RALO request and they will act as the PPC or the Pilot Program Coordinators. That will be communicated with the regional VPs in each of the RALOs and filling out the actual forms on CROPP's website on behalf of At-Large.

Now, this CROPP Review Team will be comprised of two persons from each region. One Member will be from the Outreach Sub-Committee and there will be one from the Finance and Budget Sub-Committee. So what the Review Team will do is review each of the RALO requests for outreach travel, based on the criterion established by the Outreach Sub-Committee.

And as Chair of the Outreach Sub-Committee I'm working on posting that hopefully very soon. I think I've summarized the key things at this point.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you very much. Evan, you have your hand up.



EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Hi there. A quick question. One of the events that I've put down in the spreadsheet, which is one that we've been asking for for probably the last five years is an event that takes place in January. Are the timelines cutting too close for us to even be able to consider that?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Sorry Garth, can I answer? Thank you. Well, the timelines established by the CROP Program requires a minimum of six weeks before the forms are filled out. So we estimate really eight weeks for the At-Large to submit it to the CROPP Review Team before the event takes place. So if it takes place in January I would say you'd have to submit it by the first week of November.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. Is that possible to do under the current guidelines? Are we practically able to do that if it's agreed?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I think so, because I think we'll be doing some work on posting the CROPP Review Team later this week, and to confirm the Membership of the CROPP Review Team.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I have one other question and that is for the expenses that are covered. It's one thing to pay for the travel allotment for people. Is there also an

---

allotment to potentially pay for booth space, to actually have a booth at an outreach event, as opposed to walking around and handing out brochures?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: From the way the CROPP... I could probably try and confirm that with the persons responsible for the CROP Program but from my understanding that would be a no. But I'll find out. Ideally what should happen is that once you submit the event we can send the relevant materials; brochures...

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I'll be very specific about it. One of the things that NARALO has been putting forward for quite some time is to have a presence at the Consumer Electronics Show, to try and bring in an audience into involvement in ICANN. That's an incredibly big show and just paying for one or even two people just to walk the floor and find out ways to give out brochures is a very inefficient way of doing things.

But actually having a booth there is far more effective. It's still a very... The way this is being done makes it nearly impossible to be able to pull this off properly because most of the booth space has already been allocated. Is this something that's going to continue over multiple years? I only say that because the kind of outreach that needs to be done in some cases requires quite a bit of pre-preparation and if it involves taking a booth somewhere it needs in some cases almost a year's prep.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Well, the thing is that this CROPP is a pilot program, so toward the end of FY 14 it will be reviewed to see whether it should continue or not. In terms of having additional funds for things like a booth and so forth, the CROP Program only really covers the attendance of one person. You can have more than one person attending – up to five persons – for three days, two nights. It covers the flight, the hotel and the per diem, and it has to be a regional event, within the region.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Right. I guess I'm asking whether or not the expected outreach can be done effectively just by one person wandering around a conference as opposed to actually having a booth and a presence.

GARTH BRUEN: Let me jump in. Dev, to clarify, what would be the expectations of people attending these various conferences? What kind of strategies are recommended for using our time well?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Well, I would say that one of the things that's part of this program is that there has to be what's called a trip assessment afterwards and a documentation of the deliverables of what the expected outcomes are that you expect to come out of your outreach trip. So if it's that you

plan to be a keynote speaker at a conference you'll therefore be raising the profile of At-Large, for example.

Or you're meeting with a group of end user organizations and you're hoping to get those end user organizations involved and to join, to fill out the application forms, etc. So those are the kinds of deliverables that have been mentioned and are anticipated to be for At-Large for the CROPP.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Maybe someone else has a better way of asking this question. Tom, your hand's up? Okay, I think for the moment we can table this discussion but we definitely want to continue and make sure that our time is used best. Thank you for the update Dev and for the question Evan. Tom, when you can talk just do so. In the meantime I'm going to move on.

We already had Chris Mondini and Joe so we're going to skip over that Item. We're going to go into our community. The first Item in our community, unfortunately, is the passing of Gareth Shearman. I'm sorry if anybody on the call, if this is the first that you're hearing of this. I apologize if you didn't get the message previously. This happened fairly suddenly last week and I'm sure everybody who has known Gareth is pretty upset, but we are going to do what we can to make sure that his work is not forgotten.

We've already discussed a moment of silence in Buenos Aires. There we can put forward a nomination for the Internet Hall of Fame, and that's something we have to do by October 31<sup>st</sup> and I'll make sure to get that information out to everybody so everybody can participate. There were some discussions to have the Board of ICANN recognized there contributions.

I have put out the idea of doing together a collaborative CircleID article. I didn't know Gareth well enough to take the lead on that. I'm certainly happy to post the article as the Chair of NARALO. Anybody else is more than welcome to completely take it over. If we can have many voices that's really, really good too. Anybody who wants to participate on that should feel free to do so.

I also had the idea of just continuing Gareth's work and making sure that what was important to him continues. I want to leave the floor open at this point for other idea and anybody who has any kind of thoughts about Gareth or anything they'd like to say, please go ahead. There are many people here who knew him better.

LOUIS HOULE:

I didn't know him that well but he was a charming person and he'd been contributing to some activities with the French Organization [? 34:13] so he was a really open-minded person and very careful about people.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you Louis. He was one of the Founding Members. Is there anybody on the call who was a Founding Member with him and worked with him while NARALO was being created?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I was. There are a number of people that are not deeply involved in NARALO anymore that might also be interested in contributing. I think right now Darlene, who's not on the call, probably knew him better than anyone, including knowing him beyond being involved in ICANN. So Louis, do you think Monique, because of her involvement in TeleCommunities, would also... Darlene?

LOUIS HOULE: Monique was the person that I was thinking about because they've been working closely together. She's been working with TeleCommunities Canada for years and she knew him pretty well. I would like to add that I was a former President at the time NARALO was [35:26], who knew him.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: So Garth, if I could make a suggestion? There are two people not on this call that are probably the best qualified to do this, and they are Darlene and Monique.

GARTH BRUEN: I just had a thought. I don't know if [Bo? 35:41] has been notified. I'll make sure that I send him a message.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Good idea.

GARTH BRUEN: Anybody else with any other ideas or comments on this?

LOUIS HOULE: Just a quick comment. I'll get in touch with Monique on that.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you Louie. Okay, moving on. We have a new potential Member on the call I believe; someone who has submitted an ALS application at the invitation of Eduardo. Is Alfredo Calderon on the call? If Alfredo is not on the call perhaps Eduardo could give us a general idea of who he is and his work.

ALFREDO CALDERON: I'm here.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Alfredo, okay, go ahead, do it yourself.

---

ALFREDO CALDERON:

I work for HETS, the Hispanic Technology Services Consortium, and we have among our members close to 41 universities from Puerto Rico, from the States, from the [QE System? 37:13], which is the [? 37:03] University of New York Community Colleges. We have members from Chicago, from Texas, California, and we also have institutions that are members from Colombia and Honduras.

We also have corporate partners that help us implement the different strategies to enhance what the faculty and mainly Hispanic students need in order to improve their learning styles at our institutions. We also do a lot of workshops for our membership, in English and in Spanish. If you go to our website, [hets.org](http://hets.org), you can see what's going on in terms of what we have in place right now and our future activities.

For example in the second week of January we're having our annual best practices showcase, where we invite our member institutions and the public in general to submit proposals for different conferences and workshops we have in a two-day period. So that's basically what we're doing right now, and we've been in business for 20 years as a non-profit organization.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you very much Alfredo, this is great news. I was hoping to get more people within the Spanish-speaking community within North America involved, so this is really excellent news to just have the



additional participation but also specific community participation, and I'm glad to hear it.

Tom Lowenhaupt has sent a message indicating that he is back on voice. Tom, I'm happy to give you the floor if you're ready.

THOMAS LOWENHAUPT: You can hear me now I presume?

GARTH BRUEN: Yes I can.

THOMAS LOWENHAUPT: I guess I'll comment that every time I raise my hand someone answers my question, so thanks very much for being so responsive. I'll be hanging on. If I raise my hand again you'll know that my question is being answered at that point, so thank you very much.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, great. Thanks Tom. Before we move on does anybody have any questions for Alfredo while we have him? No? Okay. The next item in that Agenda subset is just about future elections. We want to make sure that we have a test vote ahead of time so we can clear out any bumps. That's just going to be a standing item for us to be aware of; that we will vote on something that is non-binding before we actually have a real

vote. Hopefully that makes sense to everybody. If it doesn't, please just talk to me and I'll explain it.

Next Agenda Item, #7, we have talked about reserving At-Large string names and I sent out an email to my fellow Officers about that. Hopefully that's something we can keep going. Moving down to various Working Group and Committees and reports from Working Group. Previously we had Glenn discussing NomCom and now it's Louis. Do we actually have a transition from Glenn to Louis? Louis, have you started your post yet?

LOUIS HOULE: Not yet. Officially I start in November.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. So Glenn, you have issued what I guess was your last report recently?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, but actually it's not because we are still hard at work now. We've had a Board Member resign so we're on our weekly calls again. So we thought we'd dodged a bullet but we're back at it again, so we have calls again and we hope to have that all wrapped up pretty soon.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you very much.

---

LOUIS HOULE: We were in touch together because I still need Glenn very much.

GARTH BRUEN: This is why we're here – to help each other out. Next Item, the Future Challenges Working Group, headed by Evan. Evan, do you have any news or commentary from that neck of the woods?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: No. There's going to be a meeting held in Buenos Aires. There's not as much immediate work going on. I would simply note that last week Olivier, the Chair of ALAC, sent to Fadi a letter regarding the Montevideo declaration and regarding the proposed Summit to be held in Brazil.

That was announced jointly by the President of Brazil and by the CEO, Fadi, and essentially we wanted to be very quick off the mark in essentially thanking the CEO of ICANN for listening to the ALAC R3 Whitepaper, which was created by the Future Challenges Working Group, essentially saying, "we appreciate you acting on the kinds of things we're asking for and look forward to a very inclusive Summit."

And whether or not the R3 actually inspired the CEO of ICANN I don't know, but the aims of them mesh very nicely together, so it just seemed like an appropriate thing to do at the time.

GARTH BRUEN: It was still your idea Evan, even if you don't get credit for it. I have actually been noticing a trend of our ideas, especially in our region, being pilfered by ICANN, for better or for worse.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Usually for better.

GARTH BRUEN: Yeah, well, if they're our ideas they will be better. Now, I don't believe I saw Alan Greenberg on the call. Is there anybody else involved in ATRT 2 who can give us a status update?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: The people on that would be basically Alan or Avri.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. I know Avri's in Bali. I don't know where Alan is. Oh, is Alan in Bali too?

HEIDI ULLRICH: No.

GARTH BRUEN: All right. Is there anybody from the FBSC Working Group who wants to give us an update?

---

EDUARDO DIAZ: This is Eduardo Diaz. [43:54] for the Board? [laughs] I'm confused with the names.

GARTH BRUEN: It's the Finance and Budget Sub-Committee.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I don't have anything to report.

GARTH BRUEN: I have a monthly status report from Gordon. I thank you for that. I haven't had a chance to post it yet. I appreciate it. Are there any other Members from any other Working Groups or Committees who want to put forward a comment or a report? I'll give you the floor. Eduardo?

EDUARDO DIAZ: I just wanted to mention that I've been working with the Meeting Strategy Working Group, which is looking at how future ICANN meetings are going to be done in terms of structure and frequency. I just want to mention that there will be a paper put out for public comment at the end of this month, so make sure to read it and provide as much comment as you can because we use that to come up with the final recommendations.

We just have ideas and we just want to validate them. Thank you. It's going to be around October 30<sup>th</sup>.

GARTH BRUEN: Eduardo, can you do us a favor and send that to the mailing list and also specifically to me so that I can put it in the Agenda, when you get it?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, I will do that. Yes.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you so much. Moving onto the next Agenda Item and various ALAC concerns. Do any of our ALAC Representatives on the call have any comments or news about ALAC business?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Just as a matter of information, one of the things that I'm trying to get ALAC to ask the Board and the rest of the community has to do with two specific issues. There's a work page involved with questions that the ALAC wants to ask the Board and questions that the ALAC wants to ask the GAC and so on. The two that are on my plate that I think have to be raised have to do with two issues.

One issues is policy versus implementation and the other one is what I'm generally calling customer service. Policy versus implementation has been a thorny issue and it has to do with what is the cut-off between the

community-driven policy development and execution of policy by Staff? The lines between these are blurred to the point where many in the community think that there needs to be some kind of formal enquiry work, investigation, whatever, what have you.

The problem is that right now you have the gNSO creating a Working Group to do that in its own bounds and its own frames of reference. The gNSO, which is within the bylaws limited to talking about policy and not implementation, to me has a very specific vested interest in the direction of this particular initiative and I think we need to ask the Board and the rest of the ICANN community to work together on this.

The idea of where is the balance between policy and implementation, if it's discussed within ICANN is not going to work unless ALAC is involved, unless the GAC is involved and in fact unless Staff is involved, because everyone in that is involved in the bottom-up process. So by just having the gNSO doing this on its own I believe that's a recipe for failure and so I think we need to raise the issue within the community to tackle this together.

The other issue that I'm generally calling an issue of customer service goes back to the CEO of ICANN saying that the customer of ICANN is the Internet end user, and if that's the case then their customer service is deteriorating rather than improving.

And that's both in issues to do with contractual compliance on WHOIS and identity issues – which Garth is more capable than me of speaking on – but also issues have cropped up such as the process to do with

public interest commitments and new gTLD applications, which is totally turning out to be a total sham that shuts out whistleblowers, shuts out party advocates and really makes it difficult for the customers of ICANN to try and get some accountability.

So those are the two issues that are important to me that I'm trying to raise with the rest of the community and that I'm hoping will be on our agenda with other groups in Buenos Aires.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you very much Evan for the poignant points. While I may be better able to speak about those various compliance issues I'm not necessarily any better at getting anybody to listen to them. Is there anybody from ALAC who wishes to share any additional news or information? No? Okay.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sorry, it's Glenn.

GARTH BRUEN: Please Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: The ISOC Washington Chapter is working through the logistics of getting in an ALS application and I'm working with Judith, helping her with her application. I assume that should be any day now.



GARTH BRUEN: Thank you very much. I appreciate that update. Does anybody else on the call currently have any other business that they wish to bring to anybody's attention? I'll open up the floor.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Are we going to have a NARALO meeting before Buenos Aires or during Buenos Aires?

GARTH BRUEN: During Buenos Aires we'll be having a teleconference so people back home can be on the call.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Joly has his hand up. Please go ahead Joly.

JOLY MACFIE: I just wanted to say that we've changed the second representative for our ALS to NARALO and that is now Avri.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. So you're saying that Avri has replaced the old second?

JOLY MACFIE: Yeah. Previously it was our President, David Solomonoff, but he never shows up so we decided to make a change.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Joly, be sure [50:35] to Matt Ashtiani and Staff so that gets recorded properly.

JOLY MACFIE: I think so. We did it in response to the ATLAS advance material.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, thank you very much. There are no other comments. I will end the call and wish everybody a good day.

[general goodbyes]

**[END OF TRANSCRIPT]**