

NATHALIE PEREGRIN: This is Nathalie. The recording has started and [inaudible]. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening everybody. This is the New gTLDs Working Group call on Monday, the 7<sup>th</sup> of October 2013. On the call today we have Evan Leibovitch, Avri Doria, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, and Alan Greenberg. We have apologies from Olivier Crépin-Leblond and Hong Xue. From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Matt Ashtiani, and myself Nathalie Peregrin.

I'd like to remind all participants to please state their names before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much and over to you, Evan.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. So I'm just checking that the agenda that's on here matches what we had on the Adobe.

NATHALIE PEREGRIN: Yeah. I updated the Adobe this morning.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. So it is a perfect match for the confluence page. Okay, cool. So I'm going through these one by one. Avri, would you like to kick things off on outreach?

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

AVRI DORIA:

Sure. Okay. Yeah. Never mind. I'll start with the outreach issue. I don't know if anybody had any other business that they probably wanted to add to this, but they never do, so it's probably reasonable that we didn't ask.

Okay. So this is the first of the items on the agenda in terms of the outreach. The questionnaire was prepared. It has, I believe at this point – and Heidi can confirm – been translated into the languages as we requested. But I don't know other than that what status it has in terms of is it ready for us to give out URLs and such yet? And at what point are these URLs getting put into various places to start with in the New gTLD and other places on the ICANN website? Heidi, do you have any update?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes. Basically, we're not at that stage yet. Basically, Matt is going to be preparing this with some assistance from other staff into [inaudible] isn't really going to work. It's a little bit too complicated.

We're also needing to have that blurb from you, Avri, if you could resend that. Then I'll walk it through the various departments and see where we can get [inaudible] website, various websites.

I did speak to a person in the communications department and she didn't think it was a problem. But again, she asked for that little paragraph on [where] exactly on that.

Then before we can give the URL, we just need to go into the details of exactly how you would like that to look. Certainly in the six UN

---

languages, because that list of countries – just to confirm, is that every country in the world or are those – is it a subset?

AVRI DORIA: [What?]

HEIDI ULLRICH: [inaudible] question number six just lists a lot of countries. Is that every country in the world?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Heidi, I can answer that. When I was putting together the original survey, I was using a system called Survey Gizmo. As you may know, that's where the link that I put up for the original questions was. When you're doing surveys on Survey Gizmo, there are certain prefilled questions. So if you're giving something that says a choice of countries, you literally just use a Survey Gizmo, macro program, whatever you call it and it immediately populates the drop-down with every country in the world.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. On Friday I was asking IT staff and [inaudible] staff about that. Do you know whether that exists in the other five UN languages?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Survey Gizmo, as far as I understand, is only in English. I have not seen – well, certainly not in the free version. There's a free version of it and a

---

paid version on it. Both Survey Gizmo and Survey Monkey have a premium model where you can do so much using the free account, and you have to pay if you want to do more. I believe multi-lingual services require the paid account which I don't have.

So essentially, what I had done was to use my account to essentially create the combinations of questions and question logic to do what I thought we needed and that seemed to go through. The point of the question logic was that there's two branch points at which if somebody says they were aware of the program, we ask them more questions. If they weren't aware of the program, it was pointless to ask those questions.

So there's a little bit of survey logic in that there's actually two branches as well as just the questions themselves. But the mechanics, we're using Survey Gizmo. So it had certain facilities that were available to me, such as that pick a country and it automatically supplies that drop-down for the countries.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yeah. I think that would be brilliant if we could add something like that. Matt, it would be great if you could look in to see if Survey Monkey has that ability, if ICANN can use Survey Gizmo. It's up to you, but to me, a couple of those questions, it would be just so useful rather than typing in every country that's right now on the survey in the six UN languages, if you could just use that.

---

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Does ICANN have an account for either of those systems?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I know that ICANN uses Survey Monkey.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. They compete heavily with each other. If one has a feature, the other one will have the feature. You should be able to have that kind of thing in Survey Monkey easily.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. I think it was question five about the industry. Was that also sort of a macro or a plug-in?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Yes. That was a general [inaudible]. I don't have it in front of me, but there's an automatic macro that sort of has the standard [define] industry type.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. If we could have an action item, if the chairs would allow that, get staff to look into this to see if either Survey Monkey or the Survey Gizmo (a) if ICANN can use it and (b) if it's available in the six UN languages. That would save so much time.

Then, Avri, another request would be if you could just resend that little paragraph of what the survey is, the aim of it is.

---

AVRI DORIA: Yeah, I'll do that. At the moment, we still really have no idea of when this will be ready.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Well, we're hoping it will be ready in the next week or so. We have the ATLAS II survey we need to get out this week, so that needs to take top priority. And then the second one is this one.

AVRI DORIA: Okay, thanks. Okay.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Avri, do you see any urgency to what we're doing here?

AVRI DORIA: Yes. I have seen urgency for a while now.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay.

AVRI DORIA: I mean, we talked about it in Durban and foolish optimistic me at the time actually thought we'd be getting it out within a month of Durban. So yeah, I see urgency, if we're going to bother with it at all. If we're just going to say, well, the program was bad, the outreach was bad, so what are we going to do about it? Then, no. Then we don't need to continue. But if we're going to continue on this project, we had a year to get this

---

outreach thing done, which was the first part, the survey and write up the recommendations. Buenos Aires marks the year. We're obviously going to be late, but that's okay as long as we're still doing it. But if we're just going to sort of say it doesn't matter, then that needs to be reported also to ALAC saying, "Listen, it was an idea when we did it, but there's really no enthusiasm for it in the group, so what the heck." I don't know. My view is we were still trying to get it done as soon as possible.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. Avri, sorry about that. Yeah, the translation took far longer than it should have.

AVRI DORIA: I understand. I guess it was the question, is there any urgency? Sort of push the urgency button.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Yeah. Asked and answered. That's exactly the point of asking that, was to confirm that there was. Okay. So [status] pretty well deals with it.

AVRI DORIA: Right. Yeah.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: In terms of distribution, assuming things are translated, we have these great questions and this great question logic, and then comes the

---

burning question of who do we ask the survey of? One of the things that has been sort of bothering me since the last time we talked about this was the distribution issue. That is, it seems from the way that the questions are designed that the people that we want to ask this survey are those that considered applicant support or that might have had a reason to want to create a gTLD, but did not because of perceived barriers in developing economies. Half the question is how do we deal with the difficulty of tracking down people that didn't apply?

AVRI DORIA:

We had actually talked about that in Durban as well. First of all, what we had said – and I thought decided, but I was obviously wrong – was that we were going to distribute it through every possible channel we had, which was we were going to distribute it through the ALSs and ask them to reach further. We were going to distribute it through ISOC chapters and other Internet governance, Internet service providers, whatever vehicles we had.

So if we were on lists that discussed these issues, we were going to distribute it through those. So we were basically going to try and do as much as possible of a viral introduction, put out tweets on it, put out whatever. I think that that was the idea.

Then what we had talked about then, at least I thought – perhaps I had just imagined it – is that we had also talked about having this be a long-standing survey that we would take snapshots on. So the idea was that, in Buenos Aires, we would be able to take the first snapshot and see, okay, are we getting answers? What kind of answers are we getting?



---

What distribution have we done? What more do we need to do? Has our distribution missed the mark? In which case, how much further? So basically, there was a longer-term openness, but we were going to take periodic snapshots and see what we had to do to either get the questionnaire out further and/or process the information.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Avri, in those earlier conversations, was there a sense of trying to find out from ICANN staff if it was possible to put this out through regular communications levels, so that for the kind of stuff that either Jim Trengrove or Sally Costerton are doing to use some of their communications channels to put this out. Was there a talk about trying to do that or did you consider – was the consideration to totally put it out through the At-Large and volunteer channels?

AVRI DORIA:

No, there wasn't. In fact, that was one of the things that we covered over in the status was at least getting it on the various web-based distributions. I don't think we ever had a specific question about how to get it fully into Costerton's channel, but we did talk about how to put it on various places on the ICANN informational web presence. I think possibly then once it's up and running, see if we can get it pushed out further through Costerton would probably be a good idea.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

From those on the call from staff – Heidi or Nathalie or Matt – do you think this would be something that we should bring to Jim Trengrove's

---

attention or something? What do you think would be the path that would be best for us to take to try and put this out through official channels? Anyone?

MATT ASHTIANI: I think it's best just to wait [inaudible] to come back to answer that, because I don't think I could answer that well enough.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay, fair enough. All right. We'll leave that for the moment. So essentially, the status of things right now is the translations are being done, ICANN is going to investigate its own survey tools to see what's involved with putting this out and to try to do it as soon as possible actually having the URLs and the logic [inaudible] surveys ready to be done. At that point, we need to engage both the volunteer community and ICANN's own communications staff in getting this out.

[HEIDI ULLRICH]: And then – sorry. Just for the aim [inaudible], Buenos Aires, Avri or Evan, there's going to be a snapshot taken and recorded at the New gTLD meeting. That's what I'm hoping.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: [inaudible] right now, we don't really have a survey that's publicly distributed that's gone outside of this group. The chances of there being any kind of a snapshot worth looking at in Buenos Aires is going to be next to nil.

AVRI DORIA: Are you sure about that?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: No, I'm not.

AVRI DORIA: If it gets out in a week, that means it could be out and distributed through various channels and have three weeks to a month out there. Now, what I've noticed about surveys is if people are going to do them, they often do them within a couple days of notification hitting them, and then you have to try a new vector approach.

So it's possible that there would be a snapshot. So I would request a ban on deciding that there's not going to be a snapshot until such time as we've gotten the survey out and we know how long it's going to be out for as opposed to already deciding there won't be a snapshot.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. I hadn't intended on deciding there wouldn't be a snapshot.

AVRI DORIA: Well it sounded like that's what you were saying. Sorry.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: No. I guess [inaudible] a lot is going to be determined on how fast we can rule something out.

---

AVRI DORIA:                    Yeah, exactly.

HEIDI ULLRICH:                Have you had a chance to take a look at Dev's comments in the chat on whether [inaudible]

AVRI DORIA:                    [inaudible], although that's next week, right? Two weeks I guess.

HEIDI ULLRICH:                In two weeks.

AVRI DORIA:                    Yeah, certainly. And certainly it could be mentioned in the various ICANN sponsored or ICANN group sessions. Who knows how else we could push it in with the IGF. But yes, certainly the IGF is one place for pushing all of this.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:            Okay. But the concern that I have at this point is saying something should be done without saying somebody should do it often results in nothing getting done. Does somebody want to own this who's actually going to the IGF? Do we know people that can own this? It's just simply saying it ought to get done, without actually assigning it or trying to put

---

some specifics to it, make it really hard for it to get done. Is anyone on this call going to the IGF?

AVRI DORIA: I am.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Avri, if assuming we've got a survey to distribute, would it be – is it okay to ask you to see if you can help to spread that around?

AVRI DORIA: Of course I would do it if I was there and it wasn't done.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I'm just...

AVRI DORIA: Yeah!

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay, okay. Well no, I'm just making the implicit explicit in saying okay. So it'll be done at the IGF because you will take it, and we will try and find other people from the At-Large community going to IGF and we'll put it in their hands, too.

---

AVRI DORIA: One thing that it would be good to find out is people that are doing the ALAC or At-Large sponsored events to take it as well. But sure. We should look around for who's there. We should find a way to get it distributed among the IGF. Little pieces of paper with a QR on them would be nice things to do. Who knows? But yeah, we should do something.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. Then one of the things that perhaps you could do, Avri, as part of this is that there is a confluence page on At-Large Participation [inaudible] which I've just posted into the chat. So that's meant to be a coordination place for all the At-Large people that are planning to go. Perhaps that would be a good place to bring this around as well.

Okay. Is there anything else more that we need to talk about on outreach of the survey at this point?

AVRI DORIA: Evan, are you going to be in Bali?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: No.

AVRI DORIA: No, okay.

---

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I've never been to an IGF.

AVRI DORIA: Oh no, I just [saw] a line from Heidi saying thanks Evan including volunteering for the ICANN booth. So I thought Heidi was thanking you for volunteering for the ICANN booth.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: She must be giving him funding for it. That's real nice of you, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: No, sorry. That was thanks, Evan, for posting the link.

AVRI DORIA: Oh.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry. While I have the floor...

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Hey, Evan, I tried.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Yeah, I appreciate it.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Basically, this link went out and a call for members and people going to the IGF went out over the weekend, perhaps as they start coming in and as volunteers for the ICANN information booth come in we can then take a look at who might be someone we could put in charge of organizing that at the IGF, along with Avri.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: So Heidi, what I'm hearing from you then is that the chances of having a publicly distributable survey by the time of IGF is reasonable.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, I would think so.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay, cool.

AVRI DORIA: We wouldn't actually distribute the survey there, just a QR or URL for it. Correct?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct.

AVRI DORIA: We're not planning on any printed up surveys with things to fill out? Good.



EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Avri, you're mentioning QR codes which is something that I'm involved in. Does anyone need any help in doing that? I found some tools for creating that if it's needed.

AVRI DORIA: There's all kinds of net tools, too, but if you've got a tool that you think does better than the [inaudible] net tool.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Actually there's a very good reason behind those. I use an app on my computer to do it. The net tools, if you [look about it], the net tools that don't give you the URL you put in, they automatically put it into their own kind of URL shortening service and it actually points to them and then they point it back. I have concerns about that in terms of if they ever want to inject their own web pages in the middle.

AVRI DORIA: Oh, okay. I knew they kind of did that. I just thought it was useful because they also gave analytics sometimes on the various [hits]. Of course you can do that on your own, but yeah.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Right. Anyway, I didn't want to belabor the issue, just to say that if there was any need for help on actually generating the QR code, please come back [inaudible].

---

AVRI DORIA: Well, actually, since we're doing action items, how about as soon as we have URLs, you volunteer to create the QR codes?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Sure.

AVRI DORIA: Okay, thanks. Then we can just put those on pieces of paper, put them up on walls, do whatever we want with them.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Yep.

AVRI DORIA: Okay.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: It's actually been very successful for me in other endeavors to print out a QR code, put them on business cards and distribute the business cards.

AVRI DORIA: Oh, that's a cool idea.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: That's actually worked well for me in other instances.

AVRI DORIA: That's a cool idea and it only costs about \$3 or \$5 to print up a bunch of business cards.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: And much cheaper than even doing a brochure. So you put the brochure online and the business card has the URL to the brochure. You save a lot of money doing things that way.

AVRI DORIA: Cool.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay, moving on. All right. So we've beaten the survey issue to death. Issue number four, which is the PICDRP. So essentially, as you may know, ALAC produced the comment on the PICDRP and there's been a revised PICDRP process that has been released that has tweaked a little bit, but has not really addressed most of what ALAC said. The comments, if I remember about the original PICDRP process, essentially said it was unacceptable as presented and needed an awful lot of work. So I don't think that sufficiently has changed about the official PICDRP process. So what effective we have is we have an efficient process that is designed at high cost for those bodies that believe that they are materially [inaudible] by a TLD applicants aggregating their [pic]. But at the same time – And Alan, since you're on the call, maybe you can help me with this.



---

would be a crowdsourcing. Subject to the details, of course, that I believe would meet our needs. That has never showed up in any document other than what Fadi has said in ALAC Board meetings. That's the substance of it.

So from my point of view, I don't really care about the details of the PIC. That's not the group that – well financed people who have been financially or otherwise harmed by it, they need to look at that kind of DRP and make sure it meets their needs, and I suppose we should look at it from that point of view also. But that's a secondary issue to the other level of enforcement by ICANN itself. Right now compliance has said – this was months ago, so it may have changed, but I haven't seen anything saying it's changed – that compliance is only charged with enforcing the rulings of the Dispute Resolution Panel not taking any action based on internal complaints. That's where I see it. I just don't have the energy to get outraged about the DRP when the DRP is not what we're looking for. It may be the right one or it may be the wrong one, but it's not really the substantive issue that I think we should be focusing on. Thank you.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Okay, Alan. Then let me ask you, what I think I'm hearing from you is that there's all this public accountable transparent activity about this third-party PICDRP process that's expensive and not really serving the public interest. Fadi has, on multiple occasions, promised that there would be something additional to this that would be more in the public interest, but there has been absolute zero follow-up that we have seen. Do I have that right?

---

ALAN GREENBERG: I had the caveat that I haven't read the new document. Maybe there's something in it that is under the rubric of DRP but is talking about something else. Someone needs to verify that before we go off on a rant.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Um, okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: But other than that, yes, correct.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I was hoping that Carlton would be on this call because he did actually a very good analysis of the new PICDRP report into the ALAC mailing list. One of the things I guess we should take as an action item is to investigate the claims that were made. Alan, do you have any record? Was Fadi on the record when he said these things?

ALAN GREENBERG: Those meetings are recorded, if not transcribed.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. Do you remember specifically the meeting?

ALAN GREENBERG: The last two Board-ALAC meetings at ICANN, [when] ALAC met the Board. I can tell you where Fadi was sitting.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. All right. So the action item out of this—

ALAN GREENBERG: Excuse me. Heidi, do you know if those were transcribed or were they just recorded?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Could you just repeat which that was?

ALAN GREENBERG: The meetings at ICANN Meetings, the actual meetings between the ALAC and the Board.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Oh. They're absolutely transcribed and recorded. Absolutely.

ALAN GREENBERG: So it should be easy to find Fadi talking about the DRP.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is the ALAC meeting with the Board on Tuesday?

ALAN GREENBERG: Whatever day it's on, yes.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. One moment. I will put that up. So go ahead and give that action item, Evan, please and I'll then go ahead and—

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: So essentially, there's two action items. One is for staff to verify what Fadi said and then we need some people on this group – or I guess the next action item is to follow up with Fadi to see whether or not anything actually has been done beyond what was promised at that meeting.

ALAN GREENBERG: If we're looking at the Durban meeting, looking for the term "crowdsource" will be an easy way of finding it. I don't know if it's hyphenated or not.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. Now, Alan, is this something that you are – to the rest of the working group, is this something that we should be doing in terms of raising the issue? Is this something that we should ask Olivier to raise with Fadi? What's the best channel to wake this up?

ALAN GREENBERG: Well I would suggest it comes from the ALAC since he's co-chairing those meetings. Heidi obviously could do it informally. But if we're actually asking the question, I think it has to come from Olivier. But that's a protocol issue. I'm not the best person on protocol.



---

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. All right. So one action item is for staff to extract the relevant part of the transcript and find out exactly what it was that Fadi promised us. The next action item is a request to Olivier to follow up on that. Is that reasonable?

ALAN GREENBERG: I think so.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Avri, Dev, anyone? Okay. Dev has agreed. Avri, any comments?

AVRI DORIA: No, it sounds fine.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. I mean, this all sounds well and good, Alan, but as of right now it's still smoking until we see anything of substance.

ALAN GREENBERG: Well, exactly. That's the whole issue.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. So as of right now, the only thing we have available is the publicly described process which we have already said in a statement does not meet the public good.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: And I [inaudible] new comment, we need to say it again. But yes.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. Are you calling for a new statement?

ALAN GREENBERG: I think we have to.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. All right.

ALAN GREENBERG: Again, I'm assuming it's not [inaudible] that caveat comes with that I've made several times.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. Part of the problem is I wanted to try and get Carlton's help on this since he's the one that did the original analysis of the new PICDRP report.

AVRI DORIA: I don't know if Carlton normally participates in these meetings. I don't think he does.

ALAN GREENBERG: No, I don't think so.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. Then if that's the case, then—

AVRI DORIA: You have to invite him to get involved with it.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. So as an action item, I will invite Carlton into the group. I'm going to suggest then that between Carlton, Alan and myself we figure out a way to create a comment in response to the new PICDRP. The comment may simply see the first one if there's nothing substantially different.

ALAN GREENBERG: Again, I think perhaps we need to be more focused.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Go on.

ALAN GREENBERG: Just saying that we do not believe that's sufficient. There needs to be an ICANN enforced one [itself]. Remember, that one we went into the fact that they said, for instance, in the first one that ICANN may not but is allowed to file a dispute itself. But they were not exempt from the financial, from the harm issue. The only way ICANN really be harmed other than perhaps reputationally is by finances, which really says

---

they're not likely to be able to file a DRP. They're not likely to be financially harmed by the violation.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: So the material harm clause is even applied to ICANN.

ALAN GREENBERG: Well it didn't exempt them, therefore it applies. I have no other way of assuming that.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Got it. Okay. So even if that's changed, we're still back to – okay. So next action item is Carlton, myself, and Alan will try and investigate the next way forward with making a statement on this.

ALAN GREENBERG: That's fine with me. As is my normal [want], it would be a short statement.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: And as part of this, this involves inviting Carlton to participate in this Working Group. And I will do that.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay.

---

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: All right. Does anyone have any other issues to do with New gTLD issues? We have the PICDRP...

ALAN GREENBERG: Evan, on that, this Working Group only meets once a month I think.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Correct.

ALAN GREENBERG: Therefore the next one is going to be immediately before the ICANN meeting or something and way after the comment period [expires].

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Well my intention was on this action item just to investigate doing a comment. I did not think that we would wait until the next meeting of this Working Group but we would investigate something, report back to ALAC which would allow us to do something faster.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. You said you'd invite him to participate in this group, which is—

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Oh, no, sorry. Well, there's two separate thing. Thing number one, invite Carlton to the Working Group. Thing number two, work on a statement which won't have to wait for the next meeting.

AVRI DORIA: Can I comment?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Go ahead.

AVRI DORIA: Yeah. What we've done a lot of times – first of all, we can meet more often if there's ever any – we've just [inaudible] down to a month or less because there hasn't been a need. The other thing that we've often done, and you have to decide whether you want to do this with this statement, is that once this statement is written, we can put it through a review on this group. People on the mailing list are fairly good about – at least a number of them – are fairly good about reading and commenting, and we've had pretty good success with doing several-day last calls on a statement that do bring in comments and then do give you the ability to go to the ALAC not just as three members of the ALAC bringing a statement but a statement that has actually been reviewed by the members of the group.

It's your call, obviously, as members of ALAC. You could put anything before ALAC any time you want. But if you want to also get the work of the group as soon as there is a first draft letting this group know, and as soon as there's a last draft having either Evan or myself do a last call on it so that then you have a recommendation from this group to ALAC to do the statement. Two ways to do it. Your call. You guys are ALAC, so you know, it's really up to you.

---

ALAN GREENBERG: And you're NARALO, so...

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: All right. Understood. Okay. Now, on new gTLD issues, does anyone have any comments or reporting on anything to do with the objection process, which is not on the agenda formally but it's under New gTLD issues? It's not on here. Does anyone have anything to add?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Sure. There's nothing much to report regarding the ALAC objection process. We have submitted – we filed our objections and the applicants, all the applicants, responded. Just before the Durban meeting, one of the applicants [dropped] the application, so now we're just looking at the dispute resolution provider. [ICC] is looking at the three objections against the dot-[inaudible] TLD. A person has been assigned to be the arbitrator or the dispute resolution panelist, and there has been really no communication since that person has, well, started to look at our statement and the objections and the applicant responses. Nothing [inaudible] to report. No further communication on that as such.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. Thanks, Dev. Avri, you had your hand up briefly. Did you want to add something?

---

AVRI DORIA: No, I had my hand up from before and I took it down. But one thing I will add here, from what we seem to be hearing is that most of the objections are close to done, but they all need to be reviewed by the ICC and there is some discussion of them having tried to think about being somewhat consistent because there was such when they put out the first three, there was – and also the ones that came out of some of the other objection processes [inaudible] and inconsistencies. So I think the ICC is being careful on releasing results and looking for reviewing them for consistency.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. You mean so we don't have a repeat of the dot-[cam] stuff.

AVRI DORIA: Exactly. The words we're hearing out of there is that they want to avoid that. So we've heard that most of the evaluations by the teams are pretty much done, but they're waiting before they start announcing them all. But we should hear on all of these. Everybody I know that is dealing with objections is on pins and needles waiting for responses.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. Thanks, Dev and Avri. Okay. So the next thing and the last major thing on the agenda is discussing next steps and what we're going to do at the Buenos Aires meeting. Avri, you have the floor again.



---

AVRI DORIA:

Okay, thanks. So anyhow, I did arrange with Heidi for us to have a one-hour meeting in Buenos Aires. Basically it's a single 60-minute slot. The three maybe four things that I had put down that I figured is if we have things far enough along to have done a snapshot of the survey, take that, look at it and as I say, discuss it both in terms of what it's showing us and in terms of what kind of traction it's getting and what we need to get further traction looking at whatever we got done in the meantime. That was one thing on the agenda.

The next thing was to start having our first conversations about the third and last part of this outreach project was to actually make recommendations. Now, true after just the first snapshot, it's probably too early to come to any conclusions, but you never know. We could get good indicators then of the direction we're heading in. We also know that people have a fair number of possible solutions at the back of their minds on how we need to get that part of this project going with the goal hopefully of having recommendations that can be discussed at the next meeting, wherever that is. I have no idea what's after Buenos Aires. I haven't looked yet.

So the second item is to get that ticked off, hopefully to find somebody that will lead that particular effort to getting a first draft of recommendations written then discussed, edited, and be thinking about something for the next meeting.

The third thing is – and we're getting to a point now where we should be looking towards the conclusion and wrap up of this group. I don't know that it will actually close or need rechartering. That's a different issue. But the last thing we had was that all this tracking that we've

---

been doing of new gTLD issues was supposed to result in some set of indicators, recommendations, analysis – I’m not even sure what we call it yet – that basically presents a case of if there’s going to be another round or whatever, what does At-Large, ALAC want to put on the table at the beginning of that discussion.

Then maybe this group will morph into something that tracks that discussion. I don’t know. That’ll be up to ALAC and the group and stuff to figure out what comes next because we will have pretty much completed our chartered item. At the moment, that’s what I’m trying to drive towards is to get this group to finish what it was chartered to do. So starting to talk about that. There’s the specific issues. There may be, if it’s not the PICDRP with the way this new gTLD program is going, I’m sure there will be some new outrage that needs to be dealt with. Each different group has its own set of outrages. So deal with those. So that’s why I said three or four issues. And then start getting the process going for producing that final thing. That was my thought. I don’t know if other people had other thoughts about what we could do in an hour. I don’t think we could do that much more than that. That was that.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Thanks, Avri. I’m hoping that based on the action items coming out of this meeting right now that we’ll have certain things that will be on our plate, such as if we’re able to flush out the crowdsourcing idea that Fadi had. I think we should be okay there. But that sounds like a pretty good recap. Any questions, comments? And as Heidi said, Avri, the next meeting in March is return to Singapore.

AVRI DORIA: Oh, Singapore.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Yeah. Next year's meetings are already determined. Singapore—

AVRI DORIA: Yeah, I knew they were. I just didn't know where.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Singapore, London, and then L.A.

AVRI DORIA: Oh.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. Are there any other comments? For the next meeting, the things to discuss on the next meeting I guess are out of action items coming out of here and seeing what comes of them.

AVRI DORIA: Do we have another meeting before BA, or is that the next meeting?

---

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I believe there's a chance for one more meeting in advance of BA. If we're keeping to the same schedule, there will be an opportunity for a meeting November 11<sup>th</sup> which is the week before Buenos Aires.

AVRI DORIA: Okay.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Mind you, usually at that point, most things are on hold as people are getting their travel plans ready. So I'm not quite sure.

AVRI DORIA: So it could be [inaudible] also.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Whether it's going to be reasonable to have a meeting the week before, how much we're going to be able to—

HEIDI ULLRICH: Evan? Just keep in mind that some people are going to be going to the leadership training, which starts on the 13<sup>th</sup>, so they'll be traveling on the 11<sup>th</sup> and the 12<sup>th</sup>.

AVRI DORIA: Oh yeah. How about the 4<sup>th</sup> though?

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. We could [inaudible]

AVRI DORIA: I may not be able to make it because I'll be traveling either to Geneva or Vancouver. I'm not sure which yet.

HEIDI ULLRICH: IETF is that week.

AVRI DORIA: Right. And there's also the Working Group on enhanced cooperation in Geneva that week, and I'm supposed to be at both. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to do it.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I'll tell you what. Can I make a suggestion? Over the next couple of weeks, we keep the mailing list going. We determine how much work there is that needs to be discussed at a meeting in advance of Buenos Aires and we make a determination if we need something at that point. We'll tentatively keep it on the calendar, but if it's just too difficult to do in advance of Buenos Aires, we don't.

AVRI DORIA: The other option always is if we think [inaudible] enough work to plan on our meeting in two weeks as opposed to three. But anyhow, we can figure that out in the next week or so. We have to call a meeting at least a week in advance.

---

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Right. Any other business? Any other questions, comments? Okay. Small group, fast call. Here we are seven minutes before the end of the hour. We are done it looks like. Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Matt is going to be looking into the various issues regarding the survey, so hopefully by the end of the week we'll have some significant progress on this. But again, the ATLAS II has to go out first. His attention is going to be on that the first part of the week and then he can look into this.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. No problem. You don't have to wait for the next meeting. You guys know where to find me.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. All right. Thanks very much.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, everyone. Take care, all.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPT]**