

---

Gisella Gruber: Thank you, everyone. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening to everyone on today's RALO leadership call on Wednesday, the 29<sup>th</sup> of August. We have Holly Raiche, Oliver Crépin-Leblond, Darlene Thompson, Rudi Vansnick, Garth Bruen, Sylvia Herlein Leite, Wolf Ludwig.

We have apologies from Tijani Ben Jemaa. From staff we have Silvia Vivanco, Heidi Ullrich and myself, Gisella Gruber. I hope I haven't left anyone off the roll call. If I could also please just remind you to state your names when speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you, over to you, Garth.

Garth Bruen: Thank you very much. This is my first call as the Chair-Elect for this particular group and I appreciate the opportunity. And for those of you who have not met me I would encourage you to seek me out at the Toronto meeting and I'd be happy to discuss any issues that you have and introduce myself, and I'm pleased to meet new people.

We have a list of potential agenda items, and the first one that we would like to discuss is the actual Secretariat agenda for Toronto. And the question there is should the meeting be divided into process versus policy, and further down the list we see we'll have a two-hour session and I suppose that should be divided one hour for each – one hour for policy and one hour for process. Does this sound like a good proposal to people? And I will open the floor. Wolf Ludwig has his hand up, and then Holly.

Wolf Ludwig: Okay, thanks a lot, Garth – this is Wolf Ludwig for the records. I think over the last couple of Secretariats' meetings we've spent an awful lot of time to discuss processes. So I would like to suggest to cut down any further discussions on process as much as possible, and not to spend always too much time again on it. We tried our best last time in Prague at the Secretariats' meeting to concentrate

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

more on content and substance and less on procedures and process. Therefore I would like to suggest to try a similar approach for the Toronto meeting, either to break it into two parts: a small part on process is really necessary and then to spend most of our time on any content, substance issues. Thanks.

Garth Bruen:

This is Garth. I think that that's a very good analysis and a good approach, and I would suggest that we put the process discussion at the end and start off with policy. And if members have specific process issues they would like to discuss they should post those and bring those forward, and we should spend the rest of the time – the bulk of the time – discussing the actual meat of our meeting. Holly has her hand up. Please go ahead, Holly.

Holly Raiche:

Thank you; Holly Raiche for the transcript record. I certainly support with what both of you have said. I agree with Wolf – we spend a lot of time on process. I think it would help if beforehand we fleshed out just if there are specific process issues that need to be discussed because I'm just not sure what would be included anyway.

I'd rather have all of the policy, and that includes I would say policy even in two parts. One would be the issues that are already open for discussion in ICANN but let's leave a space for the policy issues that ALAC would like to raise that haven't been raised and maybe have a general discussion about that; and save specific process issues for the end, and even say we're not going to discuss process unless people really have process issues to discuss.

The only thing I would put in there is we've got the Rules of Procedure, and it might be useful to have maybe five minutes to review where we're up to on those rules. But that'd be the one agenda item for process I can think of. Thanks.

---

Garth Bruen: Thank you, Holly. Okay, so we have two votes for that type of structure. Sylvia had her hand up earlier and there is a note that she is requesting interpretation in Portuguese. Was that the only item or did you have another comment, Sylvia?

Sylvia Herlein Leite: Hello, hello everybody, it's Sylvia Herlein. No, I don't need Portuguese interpretation. I agree with Wolf and Holly. We waste a lot of time with process so I think the meeting, a two hours' meeting and if we really need to speak on or discuss something about process it must be just, I don't know, twenty minutes. But we lost a lot of time with that so I agree with both of them.

Garth Bruen: Okay, this is Garth. If there are no objections we will schedule the bulk of the meeting, an hour and forty minutes for specific policy, serious issues, topical items; and leave the last twenty minutes available for process. But this would be contingent on somebody bringing forward a specific process issue item that they want discussed in the group. If there is no item, if nobody brings forth a specific item we can continue the policy and serious issues discussion.

Now I have added an additional item underneath #3, and I put a little brief in the Wiki to describe what I was talking about. The title here is Cross-RALO Conflict Resolution and Mediation, and this came out of my personal experience coming into this role as Chair of NARALO. Unfortunately in the last few months I've become painfully aware of various disputes between members in my own RALO; and then by discussing those issues with members from other RALOs I found that they have similar conflicts within their structures. And I think that this may be more of a common problem than we were aware of, and I think probably these conflicts – whether they're political or personal – they detract from our core mission which is to improve the internet structure and help the end user.

So what I'm putting forward is sort of a first step to possibly create a way, a method for members of one RALO to assist in a mediation among another

---

RALO, because when you're a member of a group and there is a dispute within the group, sometimes it is extremely difficult for members within that group to resolve it because they're deep in the fight, I suppose. But it may be possible for somebody from outside who has no particular interest, who has no agenda to be able to provide some outside observation and discussions. So what I'm proposing is that we have this as a discussion item and that we kind of open up between the RALOs channels for discussing these issues and coming up with common ways to resolve them.

And I mean I'd like to get people's opinions on that and certainly people can talk to me offline about it, but I want to open the floor right now to hear what people think – if people also consider this to be an issue, if you're seeing these conflict issues within your RALO. And I'll open the floor to that. Wolf has hips hand up. Please, Wolf.

Wolf Ludwig:

Yes, Wolf Ludwig for the record. Garth, I was just reflecting while you were speaking about the situation at EURALO, and let's put it this way: at the moment as far as I can see it, so it's my personal perception, we do not have strong or very open conflicts. We have certain conflicts on issues, etc. – this is sometimes related to the selection of people, etc., and of course when there are personal interests involved this may easily lead to any conflict. But I wouldn't say we have strong conflicts; but at the start of EURALO in 2007 to be honest EURALO was a mess. We had infighting between two factions, strongly and passionately fighting each other and it was difficult to come to a fair solution.

And my approach at the time being, I was considered as being part of the distractions but at the moment I came to a leadership function I clearly prescribed myself... From the very moment you're in a leadership function you have to be as neutral as possible. You have to try to be a mediator between the groups and you have to try to be a facilitator for dialog and discussions. And surprisingly enough, this at that very time worked quite well and we tried to make some regulations as far as the tonality on the list was concerned so there

---

will be no open insults accepted any longer, and if you want to criticize somebody else you do it in a polite and in a modest way, etc.

So we had some basic rules to lower the tone and to try to end in some kind of a respectful way of interaction, etc. And this at the time worked out quite well. Thank you.

Garth Bruen: Thank you, Wolf. Maybe you can be one of the people who helps provide some insight for other groups. I'm going to recognize Holly who had her hand up next, and then Darlene. Please, Holly.

Holly Raiche: Holly Raiche for the transcript record. Just a question: we're doing the Rules of Procedure for ALAC and I'm just wondering if this is an item people think we can put on the Secretariats' agenda under Rules of Procedure. Do we want to at least have a sentence or two in the Rules of Procedure for ALAC and that can then be a model for within-RALO issues and how those might be addressed? It's just a thought for the meeting in Toronto to discuss that, and then where the sort of general solution might fit. Thanks.

Garth Bruen: This is Garth. I think it's probably a good idea to get it on paper somewhere because some of the issues that I've encountered, some of the complaints I've encountered are pretty serious and they definitely take away from the time we should be spending discussing real internet policy issues. And I'm going to recognize Darlene – please, Darlene.

Darlene Thompson: Yeah, I've got all kinds of thoughts about this and I'm not sure I agree with any of them. [laughing] Darlene Thompson for the transcript record. I'm also thinking that we have an Ombudsman whose job isn't just to if you can't figure

---

out a solution [then putting him in bark] but also if you need mediation, he is there to help mediate. And I've seen him do this in the past with groups and he's an excellent mediator to try to come to conflict resolution. So his role should definitely be considered in this conversation, that's all.

Garth Bruen:

Okay. Heidi had actually mentioned the name of Elad Levinson. Heidi, can you speak to that for just a moment so everybody's aware? Is she still on the call?

Heidi Ullrich:

Yes, sorry – you might be hearing my daughter in just a second. Yeah, Elad is the Vice President for Organizational Effectiveness and he's also a fantastic person for conflict resolution. And he's going to be in Toronto through Wednesday and I know that NARALO wanted him to go through his session during one of their capacity building sessions, so you may wish to invite him to just that session that you'd like to have this issue discussed. Just on another point, keep in mind that this meeting is going to be through lunchtime, so having lunch, I think breaking bread is a good way to discuss these issues openly as well. Thank you.

Garth Bruen:

Thank you, Heidi. Sylvia had her hand up but she withdrew it. I just want to make sure she doesn't still have a question? No? Okay. Okay, I want to just make sure that I got this issue on everybody's mind and that we start discussing it. It's just being introduced now. So we can move on to the Item #4, currently one two-hour session is tentatively scheduled. Do we know exactly when and where this session is scheduled, staff?

Heidi Ullrich:

Yes, this is Heidi again. It's from 12:30 to 2:30 so (inaudible).

---

Garth Bruen: Okay, so it's scheduled for Wednesday, okay. And is it in the common room where we're going to have various ALAC meetings or is it somewhere else?

Heidi Ullrich: It's in the (inaudible). In fact most of the (inaudible).

Garth Bruen: Okay, alright. Is that on the calendar yet do you know offhand for people to see?

Gisella Gruber: Garth, Gisella here. I'll be adding all the Toronto meetings to the At-Large calendar by the end of this week.

Garth Bruen: Thank you very much. Okay. So we'll move on to Item #5 unless there are any objections to 'any other business.' I don't have any particular items right now – does anybody else have anything they want to bring up? I'll open the floor.... No? Okay. Now, the next meeting, okay – does the next meeting, does it just refer to this meeting we're discussing or should we have another phone call? Is there a need for another call at this time before Toronto? I'll open the floor to that question.

Wolf Ludwig: I have another suggestion to make.

Garth Bruen: Please.

---

Wolf Ludwig:

It's Wolf Ludwig for the record. Maybe some of you might remember that at the last Secretariats' meeting in Prague we spent some time discussing the situation. It's not only the aspect of conflict resolution in a RALO but also the questions on how to combine on the one hand our outreach activities, trying to get more members to reach our overall At-Large goal of having one day one ALS per country – that is the long-term outreach goal; and on the other hand what I perceive is getting a lot more difficult to keep existing members involved, the inreach part. And I think this is a challenge for EURALO for quite some time, and it might be also a question for other RALOs. And I think we should continue with this discussion in Toronto.

Garth Bruen:

Okay. This is Garth Bruen. Wolf, you may not have the answer to this question right away but it's something for you and everybody to think about. If there is one particular cause that keeps people from maintaining their involvement from drifting away from the group – do you have anything what that might be?

Wolf Ludwig:

Wolf Ludwig again for the record. No, I think there is not, to my perception it's not one cause. There are multiple causes which may lead to a disengagement or demobilization or less participation, etc. And so far I think there are quite a number of factors that may bring us into such difficulties, and I think we should consider those factors more closely and discuss how we can best deal with it. One time before one solution was said – okay, we need more communication channels. This may be one approach but I don't believe anymore it's a technical issue or question of tools. I think there is something more about it, a sort of discouragement which has nothing to do with tools or technical issues but that which is more or less a cultural phenomenon and I think we should also include such points into our consideration. Thanks.



---

Garth Bruen: Thank you, Wolf. I think identifying the causes of their disengagement is very important because one has to wonder why somebody would take the time to submit an ALS application, to ramp up their involvement and then drop out. So that's obviously very concerning. Holly now has her hand up; I'm going to recognize Holly, please.

Holly Raiche: Thank you, Garth – Holly Raiche for the transcript record. I think it's probably some of the cause for people not joining or not continuing to join may be not really understanding the importance of what ICANN is and therefore what ALAC is and does; and some of that's about having information, some of it's about being a little bit transparent, some of it's about a website that may or may not be inviting and may not be informative. And I just think maybe there's some time we need, maybe over breakfast or something, to sit down and say how do we actually sell not only why it's important and what we do but either the successes of the campaigns that we've made and understand how we make ourselves more relevant – well, appear to the public to be more relevant and to have what we do a bit more transparent. Thanks.

Garth Bruen: Thanks. This is Garth. I think that that is an excellent suggestion and it should definitely be... I mean it's on our list of agenda items so maybe we can... We still haven't answered the question about the next meeting, if a phone call is required before Toronto but I see that Heidi has her hand up and I'm going to go to Heidi.

Heidi Ullrich: Sorry, everyone, I was getting my headset plugged in. Just an announcement that when I had my briefing with Fadi he made it really clear that he did wish to meet with the ALSes on his travels. So I mean in order to do that we need to make sure that all the ALSes that he's going to be speaking with are up to date on At-Large issues so that they will be good representatives for the At-Large

---

community, so that might be one issue that you may wish to discuss. And I suspect you might bring that up (inaudible) with the ALAC and RALO reps on Sunday morning.

Garth Bruen:

Agreed, thank you, Heidi, for that suggestion. Rudi Vansnick has also suggested an official survey I guess that was conducted earlier according to Silvia, and maybe that's something that we should do regularly. So before we move on to specific agenda items, I just want to ask the question one more time about the next meeting – do we need a phone call before Toronto? Heidi has her hand up. Please, Heidi.

Heidi Ullrich:

Sorry, (inaudible).

Garth Bruen:

So, if people could just maybe put a check box or not a check box to say whether or not we need a call between now and the actual Toronto meeting. I think if we set the agenda on this call we might not need a call. Okay. So if there are no objections we'll just move forward with settling the objections and then moving forward with Toronto.

The possible agenda items, some of which we have already discussed: At-Large policy developments, ALAC/RALO relations, ROP Working Group, outreach and inreach – something that we have been discussing a little bit; capacity building and presentation of NARALO's survey results. So to discuss the At-Large policy development and ALAC/RALO relations, I'm not sure who is the subject matter expert on that at the moment. I'll open the floor to that. Maybe that's Olivier, no? I'll ask the question then... Oh, please.

---

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Garth, it's Olivier. Can you please ask the question again because I couldn't hear very well.

Garth Bruen: Oh, for the first agenda item, it's At-Large policy development and ALAC/RALO relations, and I'm just looking for maybe more of a definition of what ALAC/RALO relations is in terms of At-Large policy development.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Yes, thank you for reminding me of this, Garth – it's Olivier for the transcript record. I think there's several things that we're going to have to explore in order for everyone to work in a more integrated way and for policy development input to take place in a more orderly way than it currently does. The way that it currently runs is some people jump up and say "Well, I'd like to hold the pen on this issue," and they would basically build the issue and draft a first draft. That would be put on the Wiki and after that anybody else can comment on it.

And I'm concerned that, and in fact I guess some other people are concerned that it doesn't really bring a good bottom-up process and [starting] some At-Large Structures to the RALOs and all the way up to the ALAC; and especially it seems that many regions do not know or even ALSes do not know how to start such a process. If they feel very strongly about an issue how do they engage in the RALO? How does the RALO engage with the ALAC? How does this transform itself into a statement and how does the statement go out?

So I think this will probably be the first thing to try and see how we can get all of this machinery to work better, and it needs to also inform those of us who don't really know how this all fits together in how this actually should be fitting together and what can we do to make it fit together better.

---

Garth Bruen: This is Garth. Olivier, I think that that is a critical point the way that you have described it, absolutely. I'm looking forward to having that discussion. I'm going to recognize Holly who has her hand up.

Holly Raiche: I absolutely agree with Olivier. There's two things I'd like to say: when we were given the opportunity I complained about the website because it's really hard to find a link to a policy discussion, and I think what people have done therefore is they say "Well, actually we're going to bypass this and we're all going to have a little group, and we're going to use Skype or Google+ or whatever," and you do wind up with a complete splintering which makes it difficult for everybody else to participate.

So I think we want to look about let's make it very simple for people to do so and how can we do that with the tools that we have, which is kind of the technical part of that. And I think Olivier's also highlighted the other, which is how do we make sure this is a bottom-up process which is really something; and maybe this becomes something that we have another Secretariats' meeting so that we can actually present something at Toronto that says this is how we think everybody should be involved. Thanks.

Garth Bruen: Thank you, Holly, this is Garth. I would agree with that. And you have mentioned the website a couple of times, and I've had my own issues with this website. And I just want to ask the question as somebody who is fairly new to At-Large, who or what is driving the current format of the community website and who is really in control of it? Olivier has his hand up.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Yes, thank you, Garth – it's Olivier for the transcript record. The website, it really depends on which one of the websites you're talking about. [laughter] If it's the [At-Large] website it's an absolute mess – I think we've all agreed to that, and we currently have a whole team that is working on getting the website

---

to be completely redesigned from scratch, basically. That process started many months ago and it's ongoing and it's going to last several more months before we start seeing the first results. And in fact, as Heidi has said, interviews with many At-Large members were carried out a few months ago and the work has progressed from there.

With regards to the Wiki, it's true that at the moment the Wiki is not the first entry point. Matt is in charge of trying to reorganize it, and because the user features are editable I think that it really comes down to all of us to try and make that Wiki more appealing, more helpful. And if we can help Matt in cleaning it up and so on and making information so easily accessible, I'm sure Matt would be ever so happy to get a big of a help on that. But there has been [I think four] different developments with regards to the policy development [calendar], for example, which puts all of the timelines, etc., under one page. There's the working group pages, a page which shows the links to all the working groups and also all the liaison and RALO reports which all start from the same page.

Yet it is true that it's very hard to find the information. Some of it is there; some of it is also sometimes out of date and it's very hard for one person to keep it updated with everything. And this is also why I also do ask everyone if they do want to add things to a page in a working group or that they're working on, if you could try and do it yourself rather than asking Matt who has a million and one other things as well. And if it's something minor then you're very welcome; if you have editorial privileges to the page then you are able to edit it. So please do it, and we're basically tracking everything that's going on so if it's something that (inaudible) roll back [and explain what you've done]. I hope I've explained a few things, thank you.

Garth Bruen:

Thank you, Olivier, this is Garth. I have two questions for you, Olivier. The first is who is on the team that you're talking about aside from Matt? And a second question is do we have any plans to possibly give an overview of the changes to the web presence?

---

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Thank you, Garth, it's Olivier for the transcript. Just to remind me, we're talking about two different things – the Wiki and what Matt is trying to make better, the website – the actual [www.alac.icann.org](http://www.alac.icann.org) is something that ICANN IT is in charge of with a webmaster and with a whole team of people. And there is, I think it's the Technical... Heidi has the exact name of it; it's probably Technical Issues [Working Group] which Dev is in charge of. That is working on it and you're very welcome to join it. Heidi, do you have the actual name of the team?

Heidi Ullrich: I'm just going to update this [side]. The website is basically being internally developed. (inaudible) and I wrote (inaudible). But (inaudible) with Olivier as the Chair of ALAC. He has the issues (inaudible) with ALAC on certain locations where there are things to show, and we're also working with Dev Anand Teelucksingh who is the Chair of the Technology Taskforce. And again, when certain pages are developed or when the project plan is being developed he will take it back to that Taskforce to get their input.

Garth Bruen: Okay, thank you Heidi, and thank you, Olivier. Now Olivier, you had your hand up as well. Did you have a comment about something else?

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: [No, thank you Garth].

Garth Bruen: Okay, I'm going to recognize Holly then, please, Holly.

---

Holly Raiche:

Just a suggestion. If Matt could do just a briefing to everybody and maybe online, or maybe at Toronto: five minutes to say “This is what I do, this is how the Wiki works for everybody, this is how I want you to contribute.” Maybe that would actually help everybody, both themselves and then go back to their own ALSes and say “This is actually how the Wiki works.” And maybe that would actually encourage a lot more participation. I don’t know but it’s just a suggestion, thanks.

Garth Bruen:

Definitely. This is Garth – I think that we do need to have at the meeting an overview of what changes are taking place and how the current structure can best be used. Alright, if there are no objections I’m going to move on to the next agenda item – ROP Working Group – for which Holly is going to fill in with a briefing of a previous meeting she was on. I’m going to hand the floor to Holly.

Holly Raiche:

Thank you, Garth – this is Holly Raiche for the transcript record. We’ve had a joint meeting. The actual Rules of Procedure are being revised by four Drafting Teams that look at the actual structure, that look at the organizations, that look at the definitions. I won’t go into the actual four teams but the idea is to have an overall look at the Rules of Procedure, to simplify them, to update them; to say they were based on UN rules, let’s actually get away from that and let’s simplify them. Let’s look at how they fit in with the ICANN Bylaws, make sure they do and then to have them read quite simply.

Where we’re up to till now is drafting those changes in a sort of in-principle way, looking at the Rules and how they can be restructured. That will come together I think in the next two or three weeks, four weeks. At the end there’ll be a kind of general look over, probably cleaning up some of the language, clarifying the terms that should be in the glossary and definitions so that by Toronto hopefully a lot of the work will be done and we’ll have a set of Rules of Procedure that are easier to use, where it’s easier to find the sort of rules that we

---

need while keeping the flexibility that we should have as an At-Large Structure. Thanks.

Garth Bruen:

Thank you, Holly. Does anybody have any comments or questions for Holly on that item? If not, if there are no objections I will move on to Item #3 which is Outreach and Inreach – Recruitment of new ALSes. I think personally, this is Garth, that this is an extremely important item. I've actually taken a personal initiative to try and bring some new potential members to the Toronto meeting. I've reached out to some interested parties who are in Toronto and invited them to the meeting, and also some people who live Toronto in the United States to attend the meetings.

And I'm going to make a really aggressive effort to engage new members and I think that everybody should do the same. And I would like to hear some of your ideas on how we can best use this as a forum to bring in new members. And I'll open the floor up to that discussion. I mean I guess – this is Garth again... Heidi has her hand up. Please go ahead, Heidi.

Heidi Ullrich:

Yes, this is Heidi, thanks Garth. I just wanted to point out that because we have NARALO, we have APRALO and we have EURALO having General Assemblies and capacity building sessions in the next half year or so I think they will provide fantastic opportunities for outreach. And I think what NARALO is already doing, they have some efforts underway to specifically focus on outreach. I think that both APRALO and EURALO might do the same at their events next spring, and also this November there's the APRALO and AFRALO will be at the IGF in Baku – so that might also provide some outreach opportunities. Thank you.



---

Garth Bruen: Okay, thank you, Heidi. Let me put a specific question to the group: what type of people or organizations do we think are the best targets for recruitment? Does anybody have any thoughts on that? Yes, Holly please.

Holly Raiche: Just a thought: we've got business as a constituency, but have we thought about small business because small business will be highly impacted by domain names, what happens to domain names, those sorts of issues. It just seems to me we've always looked at consumer groups but can we go a little bit more broadly, not only to things like academia, small business, those sorts of groups that we haven't thought of before but that are either interested in an academic sense or perhaps a privacy sense; or even small business that's impacted by domain names but very often doesn't actually know that they are and where to go if they have problems? Thanks.

Garth Bruen: Holly, I think that that is an excellent point – this is Garth. In my experience I often see small businesses as being internet end users. They're not members of a Business Constituency the way that some of the larger national or international companies are. They certainly don't have the resources to deal with internet abuse or other technical issues, or other problems that they have. And when I, in my own role when I deal with small businesses on technical issues and on abuse issues, they're just as lost as the ordinary internet user and they really don't know where to go.

So I mean I have absolutely no objection to inviting small businesses in as ALSes but I would like to put that out to the group for thoughts and discussion. But first I would like to recognize Wolf. Please, Wolf.

Wolf Ludwig: Yes, it's Wolf Ludwig for the record again. Well, I'm not very keen about naming business as one of our main target groups. There was a note already by Rudi in the chat room that some of them as far as interest, they are more

---

oriented to the NCUC and I think they might be more interested and directed to the GNSO in general. And I am not sure whether it should also be one of our key target groups for At-Large. This may depend on circumstances; this may depend on regions. According to my assessment there is a difference in the members' composition between the RALOs. The situation in Asia is much different than the situation in Europe.

As far as Europe is concerned, for us the traditional approach was always a big portion of our membership is ISOC chapters. This in my eyes, if we in a generalized way say ISOC chapters in many cases stand for the technical community. We have good contacts with some academic communities as well but academics as individuals, they are mostly organized in the NCUC as well. We have some individuals, academics on the EURALO levels. The other big group is civil society organizations dealing with data protection, dealing with security issues, dealing with empowerment, dealing with a lot of key questions which are essential for user empowerment and user education. And this in my opinion would be from a European point of view our key target groups.

We also have a new tendency that we have two Wikimedia chapters – national Wikimedia chapters in Austria and in Switzerland – organized at EURALO. This might be an option but business groups would not be my target group for the time being, and I would suggest to identify many other options before we enter into this business direction. Thanks.

Garth Bruen:

Okay, Wolf, this is Garth. I think that that is useful insight. I guess I personally didn't see that as being covered by the other constituencies and I have to look into that more myself. Definitely I guess what is referred to as civil society in some reasons may be referred to as nonprofit organizations or community-based organizations in the United States, and this is definitely a rich target area for us. I think we should be reaching out to possibly retirement-based groups, other types of user groups who may not be aware of ICANN and At-Large. So maybe we can each discuss ways to come up with a list and possible ways to contact

---

these types of groups, and we can add that as a specific action item. Maybe we can have a target number for each region to bring forward for possible contact, and I want to recognize Heidi who has her hand up. Thank you.

Heidi Ullrich: Yes, sorry (inaudible).

Garth Bruen: I'm sorry, Heidi, I didn't quite hear what you had to say. Maybe you can put it in the chat. Heidi, yes, you have your hand up again. Heidi, if...

Heidi Ullrich: Sorry, my hand is up only because I didn't put it down.

Garth Bruen: Okay, alright. We were just having trouble hearing you; maybe you can put whatever it was in the chat.

Heidi Ullrich: No, I was just saying that my hand was up by mistake, Garth.

Garth Bruen: Okay, alright. So we have something to discuss there; we certainly have items to discuss as far as inreach and we will move on to capacity building. How long was this call scheduled for, staff? I'm sorry.

Wolf Ludwig: An hour.

---

Garth Bruen: An hour, okay, so we're reaching the end of it. Does anybody wish to speak to capacity building? I will open up the floor to that issue.

Wolf Ludwig: Wolf again, Wolf Ludwig for the transcript records. Capacity building here at EURALO was always a key point of interest over the years because we have a kind of very good example that is the European Summer School on Internet Governance. Some of our members participated in the Diplo capacity building programs, etc., and therefore we are very interested and think that capacity building is a very useful thing. And some of you may remember it was also Sandra, one of our ALAC members who came up two years ago with the idea of the ICANN Academy project proposal, which was developed over the last two years with a related Working Group in At-Large, etc.; and most probably this is the first pilot in Toronto if it's going to happen or may be postponed. The pilot decision wasn't taken.

But in principle I think there were also capacity building initiatives at the Dakar meeting. There was something similar at the Costa Rica meeting which the first one was for AFRALO, the second one for LACRALO; and I think we should continue with these kinds of offers and initiatives because I really think it helps to get our members more involved. The more they understand about the role and function of RALOs and our bottom-up approach feeding into ALAC in the best case, and how ALAC can participate in the current consultation procedures, etc. – the more and better people and our members know about this I think the more we can get them involved, and this is also an important issue of empowerment. Thanks.

Garth Bruen: Thank you, Wolf, excellent points. There has been some discussion about the Academy in a different group, a different call I'm on. I also want to recognize Sylvia who has her hand up. Please.

---

Sylvia Herlein Leite: Yes, thank you – this is Sylvia Herlein. After the Costa Rica meeting the LACRALO region started a capacity building program in our monthly teleconference. So we designed half an hour of our teleconference and we use it to invite some authorities or some people from our community, the ICANN community or sometimes from outside the ICANN community to explain some issues. So we have the record of this and I think it's to be shared with you, all the Secretaries – maybe (inaudible) and given all the capacity building that we already do. So I can give you these things in Toronto, I hope so. Thank you.

Garth Bruen: Thank you, Sylvia. These are all definitely important points and things to consider. The last item is Presentation of NARALO Survey Results which is Glenn McKnight. Glenn is not on the call and I know that he is working on this from a different group, a different phone call that we've been on. So with that I will recommend we close the session. Oh, Darlene has her hand up. Please, Darlene.

Darlene Thompson: Darlene Thompson, a very quick question: are we going to be able to talk about all of this in just two hours?

Garth Bruen: Hmm, this is Garth. I mean that is an excellent question. Well, I think that if we limit the time spent on the presentation of NARALO Survey results, and give Cheryl a fairly brief if that's possible overview of the ROP Working Group we can dedicate more time to discussing these issues. And I think in the meantime if we, and I'll try and work on this – adding some more structure to the other agenda items and keep the discussion specific – we can probably keep it to two hours.

If people don't think so certainly speak up and we'll consider that. And if nobody else has any other items we'll consider this closed and we can see anybody in Toronto; and if anybody has anything specific that they want to

---

discuss they can please email me directly or Skype me or whatever. Heidi has her hand up – please go ahead, Heidi.

Heidi Ullrich: Yes, and I'm sorry I'm bringing this in so late but one issue that you may wish to discuss is putting in requests as all RALOs for the Summit. As we discussed at the ALAC events and in my discussion with Fadi, he basically said "Go ahead." So I think if you'd like to have the Summit in FY'14 that's something that you may wish to discuss, how you're going to coordinate the requests for that since it's coming up.

Garth Bruen: I think that's important but I wonder if that may be too much for this two-hour session – this is Garth.

Holly Raiche: Yes.

Garth Bruen: Okay.

Heidi Ullrich: Maybe it's something to discuss or maybe suggest a call after Toronto, because again the requests are going to be coming in a little bit earlier this year so probably December would be a good time to really start having that coordination [that's needed].

Garth Bruen: Agreed. We should probably make a very quick point during the session about the Summit and make everybody aware of it, but discussing the details of the Summit I don't think we'll fit in.

Heidi Ullrich: Yes, this is Heidi again. And it might be something that the ALAC or the ALAC Subcommittee on Finance and Budget will wish to coordinate as well, but I think Fadi bringing it up [should start everyone thinking about it – that would be a good idea.

Garth Bruen: Okay, if we can add that as the last agenda item – just maybe to say a brief overview of the At-Large Summit. Are there any other items or objections to ending the call at this point? No? I thank you very much; we'll see you in Toronto. Contact me if you need to.

[End of Transcript]