
OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening everyone. This is the ALAC Executive Committee monthly conference call on the 25th of September, 2013. Today is a Wednesday. The time is 13:06 UTC. Let's start with a roll call and the apologies please.

JULIE CHARVOLEN: Thank you, Olivier. Welcome, everyone, to the ALAC monthly meeting on Wednesday, the 25th of September, 2014, at 13:00 UTC. On the call today we have Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Evan Leibovitch, Alan Greenberg, Rinalia Abdul Rahim, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, and Julie Hammer. We are trying to reach Carlton right now. From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Matt Ashtiani, Nathalie Peregrine, and myself, Julie Charvolen.

May I please remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you very much. Now over to you, Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Julie. Welcome to everyone. We'll be going to agenda item number two, having a look at the 11th of September, 2013, ExCom meeting action items. As per usual, we will just go down to the bottom of the page to look at the open action items. The first one I can see there is Alan Greenberg to complete required documents to allow the new rule of procedure to be put in place. Once that is close to

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

complete, the chair will put out a call for members of the Board Members Selection Process Committee. That's ongoing at the moment. You must have seen, Alan has sent, I believe it is the last of the documents, there yesterday.

ALAN GREENBERG: It's the last of the ones required to put the procedures in place, yes.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Fantastic. The chair hasn't yet put out a call for the members of the Board Members Selection Process Committee to go out yet, so let's keep this unchecked so we can check it during our next ExCom call. That's well in progress, so thank you very much, Alan, for all this incredible amount of work in having all of these adjunct documents in addition to all the rules of procedure we've had.

ALAN GREENBERG: Did you just call it a "junk" document? Good morning, everybody.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Adjunct document. Adjunct.

ALAN GREENBERG: I like the term "junk document" better.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: No, adjunct documents. I note there is a big red cross by Cheryl's name which means she totally disagrees about the work that you've done or

she wants to say something different. Cheryl, I hand the floor over to you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Not that I disagree with what you said, but I did disagree with one thing you said. [inaudible].

ALAN GREENBERG: Cheryl, I can't hear what you're saying. I don't know about anyone else. It's breaking up.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I think it's getting to be better now. Go ahead, Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Is that better?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes. It's much better – apart from Julie Hammer, for some reason. We need to mute her.

ALAN GREENBERG: Something's going on, I guess.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: The point I wanted to make – can you hear me or not?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: There is weird interference going on. Julie's machine keeps on, for some reason, more than person. I'm trying to mute her at the moment. Mute and then unmute.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: It sounds like [inaudible]. It's taking much longer than I thought. I'm just deeply concerned if you don't get the call started, I would have thought, by today you're going to fall way behind on schedule, and certainly, probably need to have [inaudible] BCEC going out at the same time.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, that's a good thing. Well, Alan having sent the last details, the last document, yesterday and then that clears the room for getting the call out today and getting the ball rolling, basically. I see Alan Greenberg.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah. There's absolutely no reason to delay the call. We didn't do it yesterday because there was some confusion, and I will be putting in writing this morning. And probably, if we talk about it once I've had my second cup of coffee, we can talk about it on this call as to what the requirements are for the two committee members. I see no reason to delay it any more than it was already delayed yesterday.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Alan. There was a question yesterday as to what the rules were in regards to being on [inaudible] committees or being a candidate etc. It was supposed to be small, short [inaudible] in regard to that.

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier, that's what I just said. Maybe my voice is being muffled.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I thought you sent it.

ALAN GREENBERG: No. I said I would send a very short document or we can talk about it later in this meeting after I've had my second coffee to determine exactly what the words in the qualifications are that we are looking for in terms of restrictions.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: We can talk about it later this meeting, or you will receive an e-mail shortly. I would actually recommend the former because there may be some questions and issues that we want to resolve.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Then let's just add this to our agenda at the end of this call. Any other thoughts on this? No?

Moving on, Matt used to work with Dev Anand Teelucksingh and Olivier on the development of an overall workspace for the collection of At-Large action items. We talked about it yesterday and made some progress. Matt and Alan Greenberg are working on cleaning up the various mailing lists. That's in progress as well, and Olivier is to suggest Alan Greenberg as liaison to the Metrics Working Group. That's one thing that I forgot to ask yesterday [inaudible] in this set of action items. Maybe we can just do this in writing. I think I'll do that in writing. Am I underwater again for everyone?

FEMALE PARTICIPANT: Yes.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Hmm. I hear you perfectly well now. I'm sorry. I'm in one of these—

ALAN GREEBERG: It's under water but understandable.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Just let me know if it gets any worse. I will do this right after this conference call. I will send an email out to the Metrics Working Group and [suggest] that Alan should be the liaison.

Recently assigned action items. Alan, you still have your hand up.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm sorry. I'll put it down as soon as I get back to my computer.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: The coffee is [inaudible]

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: [inaudible] Rinalia regarding the confirmation [inaudible] and Consumer Choice Review Team (CCT RT) call for volunteers. We did get together [inaudible] because this is not a review team anymore. Things have changed, so this can be marked as being done.

Heidi is to work with Olivier on the use of the At-Large ICANN Academy Ad Hoc Working Group workspace and Facilitation Skills Training workspace. I'm not quite sure we've done very much work on that. Things have somehow sort of moved forward. I note Alan's hand is still up. Even Leibovitch, you have the floor.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Thanks, Olivier. My question has to do with the whole Consumer Trust Metrics issue. As we discussed on the call yesterday, it had been split from a single group that was through a very formal review process that was based on AOC and so on, and that was split into two groups — one to help implement the Metrics right now, and the other one to come

back and to look at it a year after the rollout of the TLDs to see if the Metrics were doing their job.

Originally, this was done as one review team. Then for reasons I'm not totally sure and have no idea what the process is, this was split into two different groups – a non-AOC related team that we discussed yesterday and the review team which was now split into only the group that will convene a year after the rollout.

I'm really concerned about the [opacity] in the process of having come to the conclusions either to do this or not to do this. They put a couple of people through an awful lot of work only to say, "Oh, by the way, we don't need an SOI anymore. We don't need this anymore." I'm against just the – it almost seems the callousness with which the rules get redrawn midway through the game are a concern to me.

There are two people here who are on the ATRT group, so do you have any sense that this is just a cultural thing; that people just don't even think about "let's change things" without thinking about transparency or bottom up? Thanks.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Evan. Did you say callousness or carelessness?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Either would apply.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thanks, Evan. I see Alan still has his hand up.

ALAN GREENBERG: No, Alan has his hand up again. I'd be glad to talk about this, but only if we go in-camera. Can we go in-camera here?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Maybe we'll go in-camera at the end of this call? Can we do that at the end of this call, please, So we don't need to go in-camera and then out of it again?

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm just commenting that there are things to be said, but I'm not going to say them on the record.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I think that it's certainly a little bit more [complicated] when we go in-camera. Let's do this for any other business at the end of this call so as to make things a little bit easier and we don't need to restart the recording, etc.

ALAN GREENBERG: Or I could say it directly to Evan later and we don't go through it here.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Think about it if you do wish to say something. What I can say [inaudible]. I certainly find it quite incomprehensible that it started out

as a review team and then it certainly became not a review team and an implementation team. I'm not quite sure who's driving at the moment, but it certainly seems to me like carelessness rather than callousness. I don't think that it's something that's done on purpose, but I think there's certainly an overall sense of carelessness on this and that due care is not being followed, so errors are being made and that's basically it. That's my personal point of view on that one.

I was certainly surprised that things went from a review team to a non-review team and how things worked like this. I'm also particularly surprised that in the review of the meetings, a Meeting Strategy Working Group works on one side, and then a conference call takes place separately from that which didn't seem to include the members of the Meeting Strategy Working Group in which Evan has attended.

And then things – proposals – suddenly come out of that meeting without – as far as I understand – without the Meeting Strategy working group people being aware of those proposals. This seems to be totally careless and just using parallel processes without informing participants, and the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

I see here you cannot hear me, so obviously you'll need to come back to me in a second. I see that Evan [has heard] somehow. Carlton?

CARLTON SAMUELS:

Thank you, Olivier. I have a difficulty understanding how people who are immersed in policy work [inaudible] immersed the process. ICANN seems to be making the same kinds of mistakes in the last little while.

The mistakes seem to be repeated, and they seem to be getting more frequent. I am not a conspiracy theorist by any stretch of the imagination, but when things like this happen and you don't change the objective – because no where do I see that the objectives have changed; it's just the process – it tells me that somebody actually thought about it and decided that we'd use the process this way. That, to me, has to have some basis in rationality. It just doesn't happen that way.

My only trouble is figuring out why they would do it that way because the objectives have not changed. Your eye is still on the prize, so if you – it's true if you ignore [settled] process for another way, there is something that's happening that is being put in place. That doesn't make sense to me. I'm sorry that I have to disagree that this is not happenstance. I don't believe it.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I think we haven't gotten Olivier back. I can only assume he's listening through the Adobe Connect room now. Alan has raised a very important point, and he had asked that any intervention that he made, that this was done in-camera but we've all gone down the pathway. I guess once Olivier gets back we'll clarify whether or not now this matter is being [inaudible] or whether it's going to be opened up again at the end of the meeting in an in-camera discussion. Do we have Olivier back now or not?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I am back. I hope you can hear me better than before.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I'm hearing you much better, yes. Thanks.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Much better, okay. I understand there was a discussion as to whether we should go in-camera now or at the end of the call. If we want to treat this matter now, we can go in-camera now.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: You've heard half the discussion. You've either heard the discussion or you haven't.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I am suggesting that we go in-camera now and deal with it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, let's do so then. Let's stop the recording.

Thank you, Julie. The recording is back on. The ExCom and liaisons went in-camera to discuss a point which Alan has brought forward or shown his concern about the way the Metrics collection and implementation and the Metrics Review Team – Consumer Metrics Review Team – was being handled.

The discussion centered around whether this was a conspiracy theory or whether this was actually just mishandling of the way things were progressing, and it looks as though it was more of a case of

mishandling the actual running and implementation of these things. The ExCom has expressed concern about the mishandling, so a couple of things will take place.

First, there will be an endorsement of at least two of the ALAC delegates that will be in the Implementation Working Group. Those two endorsed delegates will be Carlton Samuels and Evan Leibovitch. Also, in addition to this, myself – Olivier Crépin-Leblond – will be e-mailing [inaudible] the staff in charge of the current operations and as well as the chair of the New GTLD Board Program Committee expressing our concerns about how things are being sloppily handled at the moment and asking for things to be done in a rather more careful way so as to make sure that this process which is the collection of metrics from the New GTLD program, an AOC required process, is actually done correctly and is done with due diligence.

That's the gist of the discussion, and now I invite everyone to continue. We are still in the action items, I'm afraid, and I think that we will be going through the rest of the action items rather fast. The last of the [newly assigned] action items is Heidi to work with Olivier on the use of the At-Large ICANN Academy Ad-Hoc working group workspace and the Facilitation Skills workspace. That's currently in process.

Now we look at the 27th of August ALAC action items, and these are the action items from last – wWell, actually, are we supposed to look at these? I thought we were supposed to look at the ones that took place yesterday.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm sorry. Just a moment.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Heidi, [inaudible] it's the coffee.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I can't even say that because I did this when I should have been wide awake. Just a moment.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: The link is incorrect.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I'm sorry. Just one moment.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Of course. By tweaking this, maybe, will I magically...yes. I've tweaked it and it's the 24th of August ALAC action items. We have several open action items – Matt Ashtiani and Alan Greenberg. Do you have this is in the chat? Will it fit in the chat?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Matt Ashtiani and Alan Greenberg to work on cleaning up the first mailing list, ongoing. Alan Greenberg to complete required documents to allow the role of the new [inaudible] to be put in place. This we've already discussed.

Matt Ashtiani to work with Dev and Olivier on the development of an overall workspace for the connection of At-Large AIs. That's on point.

Olivier to begin speaking to RALO chairs on the [inaudible], ongoing. Olivier and Alan are to inform the ALAC when ATRT-2 documents are ready for review, and that's ongoing as well since they are not yet ready to review. It's just a matter of weeks, isn't it, Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks you. So in the next newly assigned action items, Heidi to move forward with the appointment of a dot-mobi liaison, as now we have a response from affiliates. I did mention this yesterday on the call. Heidi, how are we moving forward on this call for candidates [inaudible] of interest, teleconference call?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I will get to that today or tomorrow.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you. Matt is to begin the vote on the consultation on ccTLD delegation and re-delegation [inaudible] and source of policy and procedures as soon as possible. That, I believe, is starting today. There just needs to be a little, I think, final [inaudible] or sort of closing comment on the statement itself. Cheryl, I know you worked on it and you cleaned it up.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you. As it says even on the Wiki, the normal preamble and the normal ending that goes on every ALAC statement is the only thing that needs to be added. There is no reason, as I said in the ALAC meeting last night, in my view, why the ALAC cannot simply vote on the content which is on the Wiki. If staff can attach the standard preamble and wrap-up text, great. But that shouldn't hold up the process.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Cheryl. By "preamble," I gather you mean staff info.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yes, the usual crap at the beginning and the end.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: [inaudible] I don't quite know. There's never any, quoting you, "crap" at the end of the text, is there?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: There is [inaudible]. "This is done...started at...in response to...blah, blah, blah..." All of that is there. It's the raw – there is a set of courtesies that is always done. I didn't re-write those because it was a very short order set of drafting. An extraordinarily short order of drafting.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. We'll follow up after this call. I usually think we end our statements sometimes very abruptly, but it's just to the point. [inaudible] see what we can add at the end. Okay, let's move forward with this. Let's go on with the next set. Let's have a look. [inaudible]

Alan is to provide an explanation on the membership requirement and any other additional details as necessary for the members of the BNSPC. As we discussed earlier, that's coming up as well. Then we'll launch the call for BNSPC and BCEC members as well. Is that something we can do today, Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, I said later in the meeting we could do this.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Excellent. Olivier is to follow up with Fadi Chehade on the a question asked by ALAC members regarding why "Registrant Rights and Responsibilities" was changed to "Registrant Rights and Benefits." Olivier is to request a formal response to this letter – to his letter, perhaps, not "this" letter. That's fine. I haven't done it, yet. That will be something I do later on today.

Evan, Heidi, Carlton are to work together to develop charter and provide initial chairs for the newly formed Regulatory Issues Working Group. I guess that's all fine.

Is there any other action item that we did not record, or anything that you take as an action item that we did not properly record yesterday?

CARLTON: Olivier, was there anything stemming out about the issue brought up about meetings rearrangements? I think that was briefly mentioned on the call, but I don't know if that actually had an action item along with it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: About which? I'm sorry. I didn't hear you. Meetings that were...?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: The issue of the meeting rearrangements – moving the public forum around. We touched on it earlier today about the cross-purposes between that brainstorming session that happened last week and the Meetings Working Group. That turn of events just seems really strange, too. We touched on it yesterday, but didn't go very far.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I'm not sure if there was a follow-up on that specifically. There certainly is a call for comments that is out there and I hope that this was reflected in our Policy Development page because I did ask that this

would be added on our Policy Development – no, that's not on there, is it? I asked staff to add it. There is basically the latest recommendations, or the latest changes, have now been put out for comment from all SOs and ACs. That's an e-mail which I forwarded to staff and which needs to go on our Policy Development, and we need to basically come back to them within – I think we have three or four weeks to come back to them. Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Yes, thank you, Olivier. Yes, yesterday you said something about that, Olivier, but I wasn't aware. I am on the working group and nothing is already decided. I don't know if, before Buenos Aires, that is something that will be changed. I don't think so because what we are doing is for the change, so I don't think we will change before we finish our work.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Okay. Well, apparently we need to provide some feedback. Again, I don't know what the process is for this, whether it's something that is just pursued by a specific Board member – to what expenses things will change. What appears to be happening is that the Monday afternoon will definitely have in SO and AC discussion – cross SO/AC discussion – because everyone thought that was a good idea. The Thursday might have the public forum taking place in the morning, although Evan has admitted strong reservations about this on our behalf.

The feedback that is required now from everyone, I don't know if this is a public consultation or not, but that certainly was sent to enough people that we should put it on the Wiki, and I think we should have

input directly from our community on this and issue a statement on this as a response. And we need to do that within the week. Evan?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

The way this was done, again, is just so awful. We've got the Meeting Strategy working group – the one Tijani is on – and yet there was this hastily called SO/AC brainstorming session that didn't even mention that it was going to be about meetings. Then I show up on the call and all of a sudden, meetings is the one and the only agenda thing that takes up the entire discussion. No mention of the Meeting Strategy Working Group, and yet the meetings people are in on this call.

I can't express, again, how does this kind of thing happen? How do you have a brainstorming session where you don't know – the whole idea of brainstorming is what's on everybody's minds. No, I come into the call; I'm told it's about meetings; and all of a sudden, there are significant changes being proposed that affect what happens at ICANN meetings – things like the placement of the public forum, things like severe pushback on [inaudible]. There's still some constituencies that have something going on on Friday. There is an agenda going on here, and I'm really, really, really concerned.

There is a working group that Tijani is on that deals with this. This was a deliberate [end-around], and I'm really upset that they did it this way. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Evan. Tijani, may I ask if members of the working group invited to take part in this discussion?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Were you aware that this discussion was going to take place?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No, not at all. But I would like to ask Heidi since she's on the organizing now – she's with the staff who is organizing Buenos Aires – is there something like this in the program? Are they doing any changing this direction?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm waiting. Today they're telling me that they will have an answer. I've been hearing the same thing that you're hearing, that there might be something Monday afternoon for ACs and SOs. The public forum might be in the morning, 8:30-13:00. But, again, nothing definitive. I followed up again yesterday to find out, so I should hopefully hear today.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Whose decision is it, Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I don't know. I think it might be [Sally] leading the group who is making these changes. But, again, I'm not 100% sure.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It's strange, anyway.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: [inaudible] was not on that call on Friday. Was it Friday? Yeah. This brainstorming...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: [Sally] on the call.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: She may have been on the call, but she wasn't driving this.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: No, she was not driving this. Not at all. But she was certainly taking notes. I was not on the call either because I was in ATRT-2, but I have read the transcript from start to end. In fact, some parts of the transcript that came to me have been inaudible for some reason. But anyway, I did note that she did say thanks to everyone at the end and said that it was very helpful.

I think we should put these proposals and the length of the transcript, etc... This is all in an e-mail. I just couldn't find the e-mail at the moment. But, Heidi or staff must have a copy of that email. We'll put

this on the Wiki and start a process on there, and we draft a statement about this. I think, in that statement, we can actually also express our surprise that the Meeting Strategy Working Ggroup is a parallel thing that takes place on one side and yet decisions are being taken totally in parallel with that. There is a disconnect here.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, yes, yes.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: But also, Olivier, that we have this things called a brainstorming session that we weren't told what it was about and then we show up there and we're being told that it's about meetings. This is almost deliberately designed to catch us off guard. And I'm sorry, I can't say that's accidental or incompetence. Usually, when you have an agenda that you know something's going to be talked about, you send that agenda out in advance. That did not happen here.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. I think we can move on then. Tijani, your hand is still up. Thank you. Your hand is still up. Tijani? Have we lost Tijani? Yes. Thanks very much to all of you. Let's move forward then. Let's go down to the last one, I believe. We've got the regulatory. We've done all of the action items. Whew! That was supposed to take ten minutes. It's been one hours and fifteen minutes.

Policy Advice Development page – I think you know all of the policy advice that was going on at the moment. I'll just list them and if anybody wants to comment on these, please shout out.

Study on WHOIS privacy and [policy] service abuse. In fact, here, Holly and Carlton are to confirm if a statement is necessary. Carlton hasn't had time to look at this.

CARLTON SAMUELS:

I have looked at it. I actually think there should be. I sent a note [inaudible] to Holly and Evan [inaudible] three parts. First of all, the ALAC has had a position on privacy proxy services – probably one of the first to call for regulation on privacy proxy services, including licensure. The RAA 2013 has a specification listed for privacy proxy services that's still to be, and we would have something to say about that. I can tell you the EWG – that issue has eaten up a lot of time in the EWG discussion. So it's, at the moment I think there's something for us to say, and based on the information that is in this study, we can certainly reinforce the ALAC perspective on it.

I can tell you that there is a big pushback because of an issue that says a lot of companies use privacy proxy services for business purposes and, therefore, they would not want to see that taken away. There's been a lot of talk around that and what we do with that. So I think, yes, it's a good thing for the ALAC to do a statement.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Will you be holding or co-holding the pen or do you wish to have a just another time to discussion it with Holly and Evan on this [inaudible]?

CARLTON SAMUELS: I would cooperate, but it's more than likely that Holly and I would co-hold the pen on this.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you. Let's go to the next one. The next one is Policy and Implementation Working Group.. Alan and Evan, you're drafting a statement already on this. Evan, is it you that's leading on this?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Actually, I would prefer that Alan was leading and I would help. The main reason is, quite frankly – and I guess I didn't get a chance to say this much yesterday – I'm really not happy with this process at all. I don't think GNSO should be leading a P versus I thing. They have a vested interested. This should be a community-wide thing and, frankly, I have very, very little faith that this is going to accomplish anything concrete. I'll work with Alan on our response, but I do so reluctantly in the belief that it is pointless.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, Evan. Thanks. Alan, I know your desk is full of papers, virtual papers. Do you have the cycles available for this?

ALAN GREENBERG: I said yesterday that I'd be willing to do it, but I'm not going to start anything until the end of this week or beginning of next week. If that's not sufficient, then someone else needs to do it.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Next, the draft final reports on protection of IGO [inaudible]—

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Sorry, Olivier? Cheryl's got her hand up.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: I can't see my screen for some reason. I've lost [inaudible] connectivity. Yes, go ahead Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Sorry, the speed [inaudible] in the last couple of days at least. Just on that, I did also point out at the meeting that Alan's proposed timetable would work fine because the group itself would not be coming into a meeting as it normally would next week because of the staff retreat. So the whole of next week there will be no meetings from that work group. As I pointed out to the work group I think two or three meetings back now, we need to wait for the necessary cycling of getting feedback from the SOs and the ACs. But it is a valuable opportunity to put more input into the process. So it's not a problem for Alan's timetable. No one will be looking at it inside a fortnight to three weeks anyway. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Cheryl. Let's go onto the next one, the draft consultation on gTLD delegation and re-delegation. Alan, how is that progressing?

ALAN GREENBERG: The answer is no different than yesterday. I have not looked at it yet.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: That has to be sent by the first of October. Should staff just send a note that we will be late and we will be supplying this during the reply period?

ALAN GREENBERG: I believe I said that by the first of September I will say whether I think one is needed or not. That question has not been ...

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: First of October, you mean?

ALAN GREENBERG: First of October, which I believe is Monday.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: It's Monday, yes. Oh, Tuesday.

ALAN GREENBERG: Tuesday.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, no action from staff yet on this. Let's move on. The consultation on ccTLD delegation/re-delegation. Voting starting today. And the DNS Risk Management Framework Reports, the vote is closing on the 27th of September, I believe. There is no other statement. Or, Alan, you did come up with another [inaudible] yesterday.

ALAN GREENBERG: Sorry, I missed that question. I'm trying to work on the other thing you assigned to me in this meeting. What was the question?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: There was no other policy developments public comment going on at the moment apart from what is listed there. I know yesterday you mentioned something but that was IGO/INGO [inaudible]

ALAN GREENBERG: It was the IGO. It is listed there. We hadn't talked about it. We do need to work on that.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Let's move. If there's nobody else who wishes to comment on any of these statements, let's move on to the review of the ALAC meeting – the overall review of the ALAC meeting that we had yesterday. Just as an overview, it was a very long meeting. That's why I think we might

have wasted a bit of time in the beginning of it as we often do. But I thought was very good, though, that we touched on all the points that we did touch on. On the decision side of things, certainly the joining of the WHOIS and the Registrant Rights and Responsibilities working groups I very much welcome. I think it's certainly going to help with the workload and with not duplicating the work between the two.

On the working group update I was very pleased to see the advancement of the ICANN Academy Working Group. I was rather concerned though about the extended amount of discussion with regards to whom is going to the ICANN academy. Or not the academy, but to the leadership training and the little bit of confusion with regards to that.

Part of the selection process and our next – Sandra really was the person driving this. Part of the selection process has to do with the overall politics that take place between the different SOs and ACs and Sandra has been driving this joint – it is somehow a joint working group – and dealing with the politics from each one of the other groups.

As you know, the call came out rather late so there was a lot of feedback – negative feedback – to start with about the calls starting way too late, people having already made their travel plans. At the same time, in the early days, there was a lot of concern from other SOs and ACs that this was an ALAC-led initiative and that if trainers were all coming from ALAC it would be the world according to the ALAC, and knowing that we are just one step away from hell as far as they're concerned, that was just not the sort of thing they wanted to hear.

So there was much concern about having trainers from other parts of ICANN as well. Someone from the GNSO to talk about the GNSO. Someone in fact from the different [inaudible]. This is one of the reasons why I think we might have had to make use of some of our students slots remembering this is a pilot. It's just in the first year. Some of the students slots [inaudible] have experienced people in them. I hope [inaudible] is not just going to continue going around in circles on this. I think things are progressing forward in a nice way.

Heidi, could you just let us know how many of the seats are now taken from all the SOs and ACs?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes, hi, Olivier. We have 17 confirmed. Well, 16 because ITC said that they will send someone but they won't know who that person is until a little bit later. So, 17 confirmed at the moment, so we're just waiting for a few – well, basically from ASO; from the SSAC, one is to be confirmed; from the GAC, three are to be confirmed; from the RSAC, two are to be confirmed. We're basically waiting for those. ccNSO we have Celia, who's going to be there part-time and Jordi who's confirmed. SSAC currently has Mark Seiden who is confirmed. GNSO we have several who are confirmed if you want me to read you those. Everyone from ALAC is confirmed.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Okay. That's fine. I know that there was also some concern regarding Avri being a trainer or a student. I did discuss – in fact Avri brought this forward last week in Washington, DC and asked me and said, “Do you

think I should be going under the GNSO? Do you think that the ALAC and At-Large will be annoyed at me being selected for this and taking an At-Large seat?”

My response to her was as far as her taking part in this program, having seen her teach the summer school on Internet governance and having seen her explain the way ICANN works, I thought she would absolutely need in any way to be included in the that program, at least as a trainer. If there was no space for her to be a trainer on there, then we would need to try to find a solution. That was my point of view on that, that I told her. I hope that we would be able to find a solution on this. Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG:

I'll just say what I said on the list. I find it somewhat surreal that we have a finite number of slots and we have to use them for both trainers and students. It just makes so little sense. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you, Alan. I guess it would have probably made more sense to have more trainer slots to start with. I know I have read from some participants saying the trainers could be ICANN staff. I've also seen strong pushback to ICANN staff being trainers and many of these.

There are a variety of views being expressed on this. Yes, Alan, I would agree with you that it is quite absurd to use some of our student slots for a trainer. I guess it's the price of the pilot being successful. I gather next year one of the lessons learned from this year will be that we

would need to have more trainer slots. I can already see that just by seeing how the teams are being constituted. Evan?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Olivier, given the fact that we have people coming from every constituency that are going to be at the meeting already, can we not just ask the other constituencies that if they do want to have a trainer from their constituency that it's somebody who's already going that way. We don't deprive students of slots. I don't think that's unfair, especially for the pilot. Thank you. The extra hotel ...

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you. Thank you, Evan. In fact, it must be – yeah, it's the hotel. It's not actually the travel. In fact, I don't think that that the pilot takes into account the travel of anyone. It's just the hotel fees. Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thanks. I just want to reiterate what you had said to some extent in as much as this important feedback. It's a pilot. It's not going to be perfect. There's certainly the [lightness] of the call out and all those other things. But even [inaudible], that's an ideal situation.

We also need to remember that there are a number of the constituencies who – and I don't want you to become bleeding hearts over this, but they're planning many, many months in advance what their distance break commitments are. Just thinking from a ccTLD community, every] extra day away at an ICANN meeting is a day you're not running your registry and that sort of thing.

These things need to be – even to get trainers from community, like for example, someone from the ccTLD community. They need to know that they need to be there two or three days earlier than they would plan, because normally they're only coming on the Saturday or the Sunday. Sometimes it's a Monday. It'll get better.

The trainers need to be separately from the other. I think the fact that we've got [inaudible] working so closely and the experiences of [inaudible] come into play. Even that's not going to be perfect, it will still I believe be very successful. At least [inaudible] make sure that it is. I don't want to do too much bitching about how we could have built a better model at this point in time. I think we should save that for feedback and report. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much, Cheryl. In fact, may I just add that the queries and the questions and the concerns that are being expressed with regards to length of the week and the length of the amount of time that is going to be spent there and the lateness at which people have to arrange travel were all concerns which were discussed and expressed in the working group itself. Perhaps those people who came from those constituencies that are complaining at the moment did not express the concerns at the time and that's really.

I have to remind everyone this is a working group which have people from all of the SOs and ACs and constituencies, and if they missed a meeting and didn't do their work, I'm not going to now start asking Sandra to apologize for any of this. I know there is no need to apologize,

but certainly yes, the lessons learned will incorporate what went well, what didn't go that well, and what could be improved. These are not new things that come out of the woodwork. These are all things which were predicted, problems which were predicted. The only way to get around those problems is to actually try it and see how it works. Alan? Alan Greenberg, you must be muted because I don't hear you at the moment.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I was muted and I forgot what I was going to say. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Okay, thank you, Alan. Let's move on. Time is ticking, it's already been an hour and a half that we've been together. ATLAS-II Organizing Committee, Capacity Building Working Group and Metrics Working Group – very happy to hear things are moving forward swiftly. A new concern about the delay which the ATLAS-II Organizing Committee has had into putting together a survey to send to the ALSs. I'm glad to be able to announce that yesterday night or just a few hours ago – night for Europe, that may be a morning for others, or afternoon for others – the Organizing Committee met and there is a final push for the survey to be sent out. We're basically on track, a little bit delayed, and I pushed for the Organizing Committee to continue pushing so that we don't actually incur this not [inaudible] to the late start of the survey itself. Any comments or questions about any of the working groups? ATLAS-II Capacity Building and Metrics. I don't see anyone putting their hand up on this.

After that the ICANN Meeting Strategy Working Group, we had a quick update. We discussed this a little bit earlier. The review of the At-Large meeting schedule, I think we might need to discuss this just afterwards with our ExCom call. The ICANN Community Regional Outreach Pilot Program, the CROP. Trust me, Heidi and I have already had quite a bit of a laugh around that new acronym, the CROP. Give me the crop about the CROP. Any thoughts on this? Any feedback on that? This is something which came out of ICANN staff and the proposals, which I think will greatly reduce the push that the ALAC often has and to have and to give it's point of view or try to get something for people to travel to local meetings etc. It certainly empowers the RALOs to be able to identify meetings whilst at the same time making sure that they just don't go off without respecting the strategic expectations that are required from such travel. Tijani, I know you've been very much involved in, with travel issues. You have the floor.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you, Olivier. It's not the travel issues. It's the outreach issue and the capacity building issue. I think that we have a big chance. We have a big opportunity. I think that we are lucky because this pilot program is dedicated to the RALOs and the ALSs and the non-contracted parties of the GNSO. It is something that is really ours. I am so happy that ICANN is listening to the community since they took from them the additional requests, the additional budget requests from each AC and SO. They noticed that there is always request for outage from the RALOs. So they thought that perhaps they can implement the pilot project and see how it will work. They put very [inaudible] very tight rules for that and procedures and I think we have the duty – we have the obligation – to

succeed this pilot program. If we succeed it, we will have the funds for outreach for the future. If we don't, we will not have such funding and we will not have the credibility that now ICANN and the staff is giving us. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Tijani. Well said. Any other points or questions? Heidi, do we know how this is going to be implemented on the constituency travel side of things or is this still a very early stage?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you, Olivier. I think it is still being developed. I think it's going to depend on how quickly the requests start coming in, what kind of requests those are. Alan, Olivier, and I discussed some concerns. If one of the requests is for a conference where you need to book a hotel by a certain date or a certain hotel, will constituency travel be able to meet that deadline? What happens if they don't? Will they pay the additional hotel, etc.? These details are still being worked out.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Heidi, it's Olivier speaking. If there was a request tomorrow for a meeting next week, would this be already – I mean would thing already be in placed to move forward or are we looking at rolling this out in January or in a few months time?

HEIDI ULLRICH: As I understand it, it's ready to go now, so the requests can start coming in. Having said that, there's certain [inaudible] checklist that needs to be completed. That checklist at times is considered to take up to eight weeks. It would be, if there's something in December, then that seems more reasonable. Next week, I think, would be too early.

At the same time, what needs to be developed in ALAC or within At-Large is a task force that will be reviewing these, the various requests that are coming in. Tomorrow, we also are going to be having Secretariat [inaudible] where we're going to be explaining it to the RALO leaders a bit more so they can pass it down to their ALSs.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Heidi. Do you have any written drafted information, presentation or something that you will be able to pass down to the RALOs?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Olivier, what I was planning on showing is a Wiki page and the document that [Rob and Janice] sent out, but that was the extent of it.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you. Tijani and then Cheryl. Tijani first.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you, Olivier. There is, first the e-mail sent by Janice, which is very explicit. Second, we have a Wiki page and I am asking Heidi, please put

the link on the chat so that people who didn't have a chance to visit it to go there. Third point, this pilot program is for FY14. So we need to consume it, to use it, during FY14.

As I said, there is a very, very detailed procedure and rules to follow to be able to get this funding. I think that we need to work on it. Each RALO has to work on it and perhaps, as Heidi said, perhaps we can set up a task force, something like this, to help the RALOs and also to harmonize the requests so that it can be – I would like to tell you that there is a slot – not a slot, a part – for each [follower]. Five days, five parts. So there is no competition. Everyone can get it. But we have to have really projects that are in this philosophy and which are acceptable. That's all.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you, Tijani. Next is Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you. I certainly support everything Tijani has said in [inaudible] that this [inaudible] is made successful. That said, I wanted to suggest for your consideration that rather than creating another new task force, you do have good and equitable regional representation in your Budget and Finance Subcommittee. This is the type of request and stuff that's been done and deliberated through that process. Your longer standing members actually had some experience in all of this.

I was wondering whether or not that particularly when you're talking to the Regional Secretariats, it might be appropriate to make it a work

team that is a subsection of your existing Budget and Finance Subcommittee. My [regression] for that is, as I said the experience that that group's already had, it would actually make sure that you've got each of the RALOs learning of each other as they try and appropriately and effectively use this opportunity in what is really going to be half a financial year, not the full financial year by the time we get onto it. But I did want to make the point that unfortunately for me, a specific point of view, some of our most important opportunities have already been missed because of the timing on all this. I'm quite sure APRALO will do it's best to effectively create the right opportunities to make this pilot work.

The other reason I think you might want to think about when you consider making this, not a task force, it's standalone, but rather a part of a working team as a subset for your Budget and Finance Subcommittee – is that this is exactly the sort of thing that the original Budget and Finance Subcommittee in 2007 called for. It would give me enormous satisfaction to see it come to [pass]. Thank you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Cheryl. In fact, [inaudible] not only I think with the Finance and Budget Subcommittee, but also to have members of the Outreach Working Group also included in this. It really has to be a coordination between the strategic work of the Outreach Working Group, the RALO, and the Finance and Budget Subcommittee.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: You have [inaudible].

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: [inaudible] together. Yes, go ahead, Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: You have overlap in the personnel in all of those already. To that extent, that's why a subset of what I would suggest is your highest ranking because it's the subcommittee of the ALAC, not one of the work groups or other teams. It's probably the smartest way to go [is the] highest order of control. But it means you're not building yet another piece to the machine.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Cheryl. Let's have this as – well, we can't really have it as an action item, but let's keep this in our notes. Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, thank you, Olivier. Sorry to take the floor again. I don't want it to be dominated or controlled by ALAC. I want it to be facilitated and harmonized by ALAC. I want ALAC to be checking the conformity with the procedure, with the process, but I would like that the RALOs do their own job, come up with their own process that they believe they can be useful for their ALSs because we, as ALAC, are not always – we don't [inaudible] always the specificities and the [inaudible] of each region. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Tijani. I don't think it was suggested that it was to be controlled by ALAC. But it was just that the committee itself would incorporate the Finance and Budget Subcommittee [inaudible] people for each one of the regions. They are the delegates from each one of the regions to – well, for two things really. One, coordinate. And two, whether it actually fits within the strategic objectives. I heard Cheryl as well.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah. I was just saying I thought I was really careful to keep saying coming from the RALOs, from the regional secretariats. And the reason we doubled the size and got the regional representatives into the Budget and Finance Subcommittee was to ensure that there was proper RALO engagement as what was in a competitive process was run. So it's not top-down. It's just coordinated.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: That's exactly what I mean. I mean that the Finance and Budget Subcommittee is the right place to coordinate. It is a matter of process more than other things. It's a matter of conformity with the overall objective of the project.

But I don't want it to be [inaudible] by the Finance and Budget Subcommittee, and another part – perhaps outreach or perhaps the capacity building or perhaps...no. I want them to decide on that project, but if their projects are not conformed with the overall project, overall aim of the project [inaudible] in this case. But if it is [inaudible], no problem. We have to let them do what they want.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Tijani, actually, not quite because there is a requirement and that's actually a requirement which is put there that it needs to be within the strategy of the outreach and within the overall ICANN strategy. This is why there is this group that would be making sure that's within the strategy. If a RALO comes up with a project or with a travel that totally is outside the overall strategy and outside the strategy for expansion and outreach strategy, that would be a problem.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: This is what the Finance and Budget Subcommittee do and did for the additional requests as you will remember.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Tijani, that's exactly why they're involved. Just overall, I think we are in agreement with the way that things are. It's not the FBSC and it's not the Outreach Subcommittee that are driving this. It's the RALOs that are driving this. But there is this oversight – sorry, oversight – overlooking capacity from the outreach and the FBSC to make sure things are in line. That's all.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Now we've really [covered] it. This whole program is a pilot. The ALAC has some responsibility to make sure what we do is going to help support it in the future and not get it canceled. It really is an oversight, not a decision taking [role]. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, let's move on. Any other thoughts on the ALAC call we had yesterday? I don't see anyone putting their hand up, so let's move on to the next part of our call which is the – if I could find it, [inaudible].

ALAN GREENBERG: While you're looking, we can go back to the Board Selection Committee anytime you want. You have an e-mail at this point.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: The Board Selection Committee, okay. I've looked at this.

ALAN GREENBERG: The thing we deferred from earlier in the meeting.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Let's just finish this at the moment – review of the ALAC meeting, it's done. Review of the At-Large meeting, schedule and agendas. I note many people have to leave in 15 minutes. Let's go through this quickly. Staff, Heidi, you have the floor.

HEIDI ULLRICH: As discussed yesterday on the ALAC call, basically pretty much I think we're all in good shape just waiting for if there are any changes to the overall ICANN schedule. Matt, could you please put the – I'll start with [inaudible] do that quickly. Has everyone had a chance to review this or do you wish to do that now? I'm just conscious of the time. But again, this is your last chance because meeting submissions – the forms are going to be going in this week. So this is it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Heidi, I'm just very confused, because the meeting forms have to go this week, and then we're told that the meetings are going to be switched around, and that some of the stuff which we're discussing here is effective a waste of time. That's the way I see it at the moment. We've been wasting our time trying to design something which will be tumbled upside down, and I'm not particularly pleased about wasting my time and I'm sure my colleagues are not either and I'm sure you're not.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Definitely not. Let me restate that. At-Large staff is going to start submitting the forms because next week we're going to be in our workshop. Deadline is not until I think the week after, mid-week. So we do have a few extra days. So I will be submitting the ones that we know are [inaudible] changing for Sunday, etc. But for the Monday afternoon and the Thursday, we'll wait until we hear what's going on.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So if you just wanted to quickly look, we have three meetings basically planned for Sunday this time. So a very long day starting at 8:00 with the ALAC Metrics Subcommittee. Cheryl, I'll add to your agenda. Thank you for that.

Sunday, a [good] session, mostly with presentations this time including Fadi, Sally and her Global Stakeholder Engagement Team, Duncan Burns leading the Communications Team, and Maggie again only for 30 minutes because she's asking that everyone come to her session later in the week. Then we're inviting Steve Crocker, Susanna Bennett, and [inaudible] from Finance and [CFO] in reverse order. Then we have a meeting with the GAC. That's going to be in the GAC room, so that's going to give a nice welcome break for everyone after their lunch to go to the GAC room.

Hot topics will be the ATLAS-II and At-Large selection process. Then we have confirmed meeting with SSAC. It's so far just Patrick but we're hoping for others. Then we have a wrap-up session, just a very short wrap-up session. It might be used if we go over. Is this too much detail or should I just continue on this?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: First day sounds great. Please just continue on each one of the days. I think this is one of the longest ones.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. So Monday, actually that's one of the shortest ones. Again, this is a day that might still be open. So we had the Registry Issues Groups, 11:00. Again, Carlton, if you and Holly could send the agenda for that, that would be appreciated. We have a Future Challenges Working Group. The agenda talks basically about the [inaudible] putting that one basically on the [inaudible] moving on to the next items for that working group.

Now, the question is, again, the Multi-Stakeholder Policy Roundtable. Are there any ALAC members or anyone who has the time to discuss that or to organize that? Again, should that be moved to another spot if that Monday afternoon is going to be a blackout period? That's something that needs to be – I need to know within the next week or so on that. Again, I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything about the Monday afternoon session. And then just Monday evening we have the NARALO monthly meeting, and then we have the LACRALO Showcase which Silvia is working to organize. That's going to be quite a bit of fun, so put your dancing shoes on when you come to that.

CHERYL LANGON-ORR: Do you want comments on the day-to-day or not?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, please. If there are any changes, then yes please.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Just the point you raised. The reason the Multi-Stakeholder Roundtable works so well when it's been already done is because it is the Monday

and it acts as a good cross-community service point. If there's a blackout period and another AC/SO cross-community activity, then I would question the effort and energy to go into another Multi-Stakeholder Roundtable to be squeezed into your agenda. But if there isn't a blackout period, then I'd like to think that it could happen. Thanks.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay. I think it's a very good point. The next question then is, if it goes ahead, what's the topic and who's going to lead on that? I'll let you start that out. Okay. So Tuesday, again, a very full day. ALAC meeting with the Board. We haven't heard yet about any social activities, but we'll let you know about that. I think the ALAC is due for dinner or at least a lunch, maybe even later in the day on Tuesday. I don't know.

ALAC [inaudible] right now is the working group update for the most part. Cheryl, you have another session there. Actually, no. Evan, you're leading that one. It's the New gTLD Metrics Implementation.

LACRALO Monthly Call during lunch. It's a working lunch. ALAC with ATRT-2. That should be [inaudible]. That's been confirmed. So we need an agenda for that. Then ALAC [policy session one].

That agenda is still pretty much open. We do have a session with the [AS Officer] [inaudible], but Olivier, if you could let me know – or all of you – if you could let me know what topics you'd like discussed during that session.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Heidi, just one thing regarding the policy discussion. We try to keep it as policy as possible because there often is – part of the time is often taken by our own procedural stuff. I think we really owe it to have more policy discussion on that day. So please, if you have any suggestions as to what additional policy meetings we should have during that two-hour session on policy discussion part two, send your suggestions in. Back to you, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. So if we could just – right now, if you want more time to think about that, we could just put an open agenda item of hot policy topics for the rest of that day and plan that as you have the time for that.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Heidi, Cheryl here. Would that be a likely day where we would be trying to slot in the meeting with ccNSO or it's just our Sunday seems to be extremely full? So the [inaudible] was used. That's all.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, Cheryl. Absolutely. If you wanted to do that, absolutely. We could still somehow squeeze you in.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Could put in a place – it's something you can still have set within [inaudible]. I wouldn't mind a placeholder in that even though it would still need to be confirmed because ccNSO haven't come back with their half as to [inaudible].

HEIDI ULLRICH: So would you be willing to have that during the policy discussion or you want that to remain...?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I don't have a problem. That's Olivier's call, but I just wondered if we could...

HEIDI ULLRICH: That would help with the agenda.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah. If we don't find time on the agendas then it won't happen at all and it is normally on the Tuesday with ccNSO meets with other parts of the ICANN community – GAC and GNSO, for example.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. So, Olivier, if you could – Cheryl, how long would that meeting be do you think, 30 to 45 minutes or?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: It depends whether you're talking about a working lunch with the ALAC and ccNSO councilors or whether you're talking executive and the subset of the ccNSO or whether you're talking a whole community group meeting.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So we could still have that during lunch period because we only have LACRALO meeting, so that would be an option. The other option would be to slot it in during the ALAC policy session part two which is a two-hour session.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: If that works for Olivier, then that's one of the proposals I think we should make to ccNSO.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That works with me, Heidi. I just want – I mean we have a working group that the team setup for this. I'd like the working group to do its work and make us some suggestions and then we can move forward on that.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I made those suggestions. I'm just seeing where the space at the time is, when obviously nothing [came] to Sunday suggestion so we've deleted all of that from that table.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah. So Tuesday is obviously the day to do it and Heidi will be making some suggestions as to slots and, yes, we could move around the afternoon policy discussion or chop part of it off.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Would you be okay with – inserting it in there, would you be okay with 30-minute slots into that agenda for policy part two?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: 30-minute slots.

HEIDI ULLRICH: 30-minute slot with ccNSO in that session. Policy Discussion part two.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Well didn't Cheryl said they wanted the one-hour slots.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I didn't hear that. Is that what you said, Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Well, I mean if you're talking about a 30-minute slot, then you need to look at managing a very tight agenda. You [won't be able to] start light and everything else.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Cheryl, do want to take this off the list so then we can talk a little bit more about [inaudible]?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I just wanted a place holder to put in there somewhere or I'll get back to ccNSO and say we won't be holding a joint meeting. That's all fairly easy, too.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. I'll be in contact with you later today, Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Mm-hmm.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It's a pretty straightforward thing, yes. I would've thought one hour with ccNSO, find the slots. Let's move on to...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, Wednesday then? Again, Wednesday was... Beginning with the APRALO meeting, Academy Working Group session, that's going to be feedback on the leadership training. That's with 90-minute sessions. Then there's going to be a joint ATLAS and [Region] Secretariat's Meeting. There will not be a standalone Regional Secretariat's Meeting this time.

Then the ExCom with the NCSG Leadership, that's going to be at lunch. Olivier, I don't know if you'd like to have that in a restaurant or if you want that in a meeting room where everyone brings their own lunch, so that's for [Rob] and you to decide.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I'd like to find out what the cost is to have it in meeting room, please. If we can have packed lunch, if we can't— all of these things, the usual stuff and the options, please. At the moment, I don't know if it's going to cost us \$50 a head to have a sandwich would be just great.

HEIDI ULLRICH: That's what my concern is. I see. That's what [inaudible]. Anyway, I think it's within reason. But I just need to know – if you could let me know the total numbers then that would help as well.

Okay, next one is AFRALO African Joint Meeting in the afternoon and I've let the Regional Vice Presidents – all of them know when the RALOs are having the meeting, so there hopefully will not be any conflict or meetings that are running right next to each other. That raised some concerns last time in Durban. Then in the afternoon there's still a one-hour slot left available for a joint ATLAS-II Capacity Building Academy and Regional Secretariat's Meeting, so there's a lot of time to discuss issues related to the summit.

In the afternoon Rinalia, there's an IDN Working Group. If you could please send an agenda today, how much you may have left. But I do need that.

And then there's an At-Large New gTLD Working Group with agenda set. Thursday wrap-up session. Again, that's going to be three-and-a-half hours but it might be moved in the afternoon.

Then Friday there is the ExCom, again, three hours. Cheryl, the NomCom session is 30 minutes, between 9:30 and 10.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Now is that [inaudible]?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. I think I said that [inaudible] actually.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. So that's where we are there. Then the other issues, if Olivier would like, we could either go through this today or just start thinking about it. The questions that you would like to ask the various groups, particularly, for example, the public forum questions.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I think that because we are really running out of time on today's call, let's send out a call for sending those Wikis with the questions. I hope that everyone on the ExCom here will be able to fill those Wikis accordingly. Then we'll do the usual thing which is to look at each one of the Wikis a few weeks before the meeting and send the questions over to the other party.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct. Okay So I'll go ahead and give a deadline of mid-October for that then.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. And I think that basically that's it. Evan, I did to your question to constituency travel about the Visa issues. Matt, do you have any updates on that by chance? The issue with the Visa upon entry or whatever that is.

[ALAN GREENBERG]: What that is is that Canadians, Americans and Australians have to pay something called the reciprocity fee that varies by country. And I want to confirm that constituency travel is going to be reimbursing that because that ends up being as high as \$150.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct.

MATT ASHTIANI: When I talked to [inaudible] he said they're basically going through the [inaudible] the Visa, so get it, keep your receipt and then you'll be reimbursed for the cost of it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Fantastic. Thank you. Okay, any other questions or comments on agenda item number five? No one. Let's go for any other business. Alan, you have the floor.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. I sent out an e-mail which everyone should've received by now. It was on the ALAC internal list. Has anyone not received it?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [inaudible].

ALAN GREENBERG: "Board Selection Committees" is the subject line.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yes, it's here.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. I've identified all of the known rules and identified the decisions the ALAC must make and I think the ExCom is in a suitable position to make most of those decisions on the BMSPC of both committees and anyone who agrees to be on the committee is saying they will not submit an expression of interest to run for the board position. So that's a given.

The BMSPC should be regionally balanced. The rule says at least two members from each region and I think any more than two would be unwieldy, but that's my personal position.

It's the ALAC decision whether the ALAC appoints the chair or the BMSPC select the chair from amongst its members. The rules are silent whether if the ALAC appoints the chair. It is an additional person to the ten or whatever 5X. I believe last time however, Cheryl, that you were chair and you were not part of the regional representation. Is that correct?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Correct. Correct.

ALAN GREENBERG: I would strongly suggest the ALAC, someone for their management ability to do this and for their ability to understand the rules associated with that and not leave that to somewhat chance of one of the appointees taking on the role. There are just too many critical decisions that have to be made along the way and quickly that this is a place for some experience I would think. So my recommendation certainly is the ALAC appoint someone.

The people are selected by the RALOs and ALAC. There is no specific methodology. I would suggest that you call for recommendations from the RALOs and then the ALAC puts together the final slate. I have no strong opinion whether you should ask for three and pick two of them or just ask for two and hope they're good. And there is no restriction on

ALAC members being on the committee and last time there were several.

I would strongly recommend that there be significant overlap from the last group. As I said, there's a lot of stuff to do here. And last time there was significant overlap – well, this group was formed by the ABSdt or most of the members, which is the group that designed the process. So there was very significant expertise in the group as to what they were trying to be doing. You need to capture that somehow. To the extent that I hold some of the knowledge as one of the designers of the process and the person who has now documented it and perhaps the only person to have looked at it in the recent several years, I'd be glad to do a briefing at the beginning of the [inaudible].

HEIDI ULLRICH: You have to [inaudible], Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: I have a title. BMSPC Group. So I think the only decision that has to be made is how many people do you ask for the RALOs to suggest as names, prioritized or not. And if the ALAC will make that cut afterwards – and I would suggest the ALAC and/or the ExCom do that, but we're on a tight timeline. Do you want me to go ahead and do decisions on this one or do you want me to go ahead with the next one first?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Do the next one.

ALAN GREENBERG: Next one? Okay.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Next one, please. Yes. Go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG: BCEC – again, you cannot – once you're on the group, you cannot run. Two for RALOs selected by the RALOs. This is not an ALAC selection. The chair is selected by the ALAC in addition to the ten members. The rules say the chair may have a vote. In 2010, My understanding is – I wasn't part of the group – is that the chair in consultation with or perhaps by edict over the group said the chair will not have a vote.

HEIDI ULLRICH: It was the edict.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. The post-mortem made a strong recommendation that the chair – I don't remember the exact wording – it would attend the post-mortem as appointed to that the chair either have a vote or be allowed to vote in cases of ties.

HEIDI ULLRICH: [inaudible]. Yes.

ALAN GREENBERG: So I don't remember if it's have a vote but withhold it unless necessary, but something like that. And I presume that that was brought up by specific issues that made it relevant to the group.

The practice last time was that the chair have no members that are part of the electorate, that the BCEC have no members that are part of that group. That is the ALAC and the RALO chairs who will be voting. That's not a rule that I can locate, but it was either a recommendation of the ABSdt, which I can't find documented or a decision of the ALAC at the time. Cheryl, do you have any insights on that?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: It was considered to be a best practice remembering that we were running [masses of pilots] so we wanted to keep things – church and state as separate as possible is what we're trying to do.

ALAN GREENBERG: And lastly, in 2010 it was considered important that a number of the members have NomCom experience, which is a not dissimilar process and I would assume that this time around the criteria is we would like people with NomCom and/or 2010 BCE proceed, BCE experienced. I'm presuming Cheryl will be prepared and it is legitimate for Cheryl to brief BCEC and/or the chair that is selected by the ALAC as to the issues that were important.

And my recollection is that there was some talk of confidentiality problems have been selected parts of the process and we may want to try to make sure that the people who caused a problem, if there were

such people, do not end up on the group again – and how one does that with RALO doing the selection I will leave to you and keep out of that process.

So really the only decisions we need to make right now is the decision on how we select, how we get the RALO input into the BMSPC process and do we look for more or less and do we – does the ALAC – is the ALAC going to appoint the chair external to the process of the regional balance? Which as I said, I recommend but it's not my call.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Can I say something? Sorry, I'm not in the Adobe room. It's still reloading.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Just go ahead. Well, Tijani has his hand up. Or you could go ahead first and then Tijani.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I'll go after Tijani.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Go on Tijani then, please.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. What I wanted to say is that I agree with Alan that the best is to have the chair of the BCEC appointed by the ALAC and not voting. But if

we need the chair – if the chair has to vote it can't be the one appointed by ALAC because it is out of the ten persons that are allowed to vote. So the chair if he is one of the ten persons [inaudible], okay he can vote perhaps. If we decide that he don't vote, it's okay. If there is a tie, he can vote, okay. But if we decide to appoint someone external from those ten, he cannot vote anyway. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Tijani. We'll first have Cheryl and then Alan. Cheryl Langdon-Orr, please?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you. And I'm glad I went after Tijani because I can respond to that as well. Regarding the particular questions as raised for your leadership team to decide upon hopefully in today's call – all that might now make it on the list – I would suggest that it is possible for you to put the call out and even ask for expressions of interest to come in from ALS members and regional and say that ALS members, ALS representatives and regional leadership particularly with experience in previous nominating committee for ALAC or in outside organizations or who have served on the BCEC or similar processes within ALAC and actually get people who want to put themselves forward.

I'm deeply concerned with the timing, that we are getting awfully close to missing the deadlines and getting too much time for showing ourselves during the process if we don't get the call from the BMSPC and the BCEC out as soon as humanly possible.

What you could then do, just as the ATRT processes that you went through before is actually asked for any regional endorsements for those people – that regents could put forward names independently. I think you need to have a puddle to choose from, and I think you need to be able to do it within the next 30 days.

To Tijani's point, thank you for raising that. Can I just share with you the reason that the issue of having a cast in vote was raised in the post-mortem documentation was because a tie vote happened twice. Not on anything to do with candidates processing. It was to do with administration. And I would like to think that there would be no point in time with such a situation would occur in a future BCEC.

So what that means is if the ALAC wishes to appoint a chair and make the edict of that chair as non-voting, I don't think that's part of the post-mortem advice is actually that important because a properly managed BCEC where they're not trying to build the plane as well as fly it should never get into the situation where there is a tie vote, and of course with five regions and two people per region, you can technically get a tied vote, and that did happen in the first round in 2010. So I wouldn't be too concerned about appointing in a chair for the BCEC that was not able to vote. They shouldn't [take in] votes anyway. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you very much, Cheryl. Next is Alan Greenberg.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. A couple of things. I'll point out perhaps the obvious to those of us who are around then. But at the time when Cheryl was the non-voting chair of the BCEC she was also an ALAC member and the ALAC chair, which colors the whole thing to some extent. That may or may not happen again this time.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Not my call certainly.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Oh, I think the ALAC chair is a wonderful the chair of the BCEC.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'll point out that the decision on voting what the BCEC decision and it could have been gone other ways given different personalities including the casting vote.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Actually, Alan, there I've got to disagree with you. It was not. It was an ALAC decision but that's [inaudible].

ALAN GREENBERG: The ALAC rule say the BCEC – the former rule of procedure say the chair may have a vote.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yes, we built it that way.

ALAN GREENBERG: But my recollection is we selected the chair and the chair said, “I will not have a vote.” And no one is willing to stare you down and say, “You will vote.” But I don’t think this is a crucial issue in any case.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: No, it is not.

ALAN GREENBERG: And it certainly becomes important once the group starts meeting and it’s not necessarily important for the call for participation. One thing Cheryl said confused me. I don’t know whether you were talking about the BMSPC or the BCEC. The BMSPC is chosen certainly in coordination with and partly by the ALAC. The BCEC I believe is giving the RALOs what the constraints. I believe they simply named people. Is that not what happened last time? That certainly what the rules imply.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yes.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yes, that’s what happened.

ALAN GREENBERG: That the pool to choose from is not for the BCEC. It’s for the BMSPC.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Correct. But those calls have to out at the same time.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm not disagreeing. I'm just making that clear that the ALAC is out of the loop in choosing the BCEC members other than the chair. And I was confused as to what you said, maybe no one else was.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: No. Can I just say in the future the call for the BMSPC has to go out well in advance to the BCEC because you would assume probably up to a 50% overlap of regional people and what we're actually doing is making people work twice as hard for a small amount of time now which is regrettable.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'll point out the adjunct document which I hope is going out for a vote today hint-hint. Mr. Chair?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, Mr. Chair is watching as the instructions. The instructions [aren't] as it should be.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. I will point out that there is a preliminary timetable for this board selection in it. Most of it will be completely rethought by the BMSPC once it is convened. It does suggest, however, that the call is going to out within – well it suggests the call went out yesterday and will be approved at the ALAC meeting on the 22nd of October. I believe it

would be preferable to somehow finesse it quicker than that, but it certainly can't be any later.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you, Alan. Next is Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes. Thank you, Olivier. I think it's important to make the decision about voting chair because since we are adding another member to the BCEC who is not a member of the electorate if he will vote to modify the electorate composition.

And another reason, for example, the ExCom – excuse me, the NomCom – for the NomCom the chair is not voting. In any case, he never votes even if there is ties. So we should be very strict and very clear that a chair who is out of the electorate cannot vote. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Here, here, Tijani. Here, here. I couldn't agree with you more.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes. Thanks, Tijani. That's well taken into account. Heidi has also asked whether the calls for BCEC and BMSPC should be in the same message or could they be in the same message? Any thoughts on this?

ALAN GREENBERG: If you put them in the same message, make it really clear that the rules are somewhat different for the two and if you put them in different messages make it clear because someone's going to think they sent it out twice and ignore one of them.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah. I think it would be a benefit in the same message but very clear and I [inaudible] that they are allowed to overlap.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah. Okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: That is correct. Their overlap is allowed.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Tijani, your hand is still up.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No, no. Sorry, it's not now.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you, Tijani. Any other points on this? Any further discussion from anyone? I think we've pretty much rounded everything. Heidi, you were aware of [audio gap].

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm sorry. I didn't hear the end of that? I'm aware of what? Olivier?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I think we lost him.

ALAN GREENBERG: I guess it was a bad word he said and they cut him off. These censors are everywhere.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Well, we'll know better what Heidi is supposed to be aware of now.

HEIDI ULLRICH: You're making me a bit nervous.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I bet you're a bit nervous. Well, it's on all you now, Heidi. The ball went to you. You just got to try and find it, catch it, and run with it.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I suspect that he was going to say it's I'm aware of what needs to go into this message. Well, I'm going to draft it.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I would think, Heidi, that both Alan and I would be happy do dot the Is and cross the Ts and help with that because if you did copy that draft and message it should get to the full leadership team I think.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: For the record the question was, Heidi, you're aware of what your next steps are now?

ALAN GREENBERG: Heidi, one more comment aimed at you. In trying to put together what the schedule was for the last process, I had one hell of a time because things that I would've put good money on would've been announced on the ALAC announce list, on the ALAC list, on the At-Large list were not anywhere.

The only reference I could find to the expression of interest call being extended was a formal ICANN press release. It was not mentioned on any At-Large list as far as I can tell according to the logs and there's a whole bunch of other things like that. So I think this time we're going to have to be scrupulous and make sure that these announcements do go out in the right place at the right time.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. I mean I don't – I believe that they were sent out and given that we had so many people, so many [SOIs] I would think that they probably saw that on the ALAC list but...

ALAN GREENBERG: No. I'm talking about the extensions.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Oh I see.

ALAN GREENBERG: But there were other things I couldn't find also that should've been on the ALAC announce list.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah. Alan, part of that [inaudible] things, but unfortunately the 2010 moved two years in the social text. Aa lot of what could be found sort of somewhere lost in transition unfortunately. I won't happen again because it's entirely different process.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah. But I'm talking about things that that I thought I should've been able to find in e-mail archives that weren't there.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Of course, further deliberations of the BCEC, no one should be able to find them.

ALAN GREENBERG: No, no. I wasn't – I was talking about announcements.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Mm-hmm.

ALAN GREENBERG: Formal announcements. Anyway...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, the clock is ticking. I know that several people must have – well, we need to go basically. So are there any other other of business to discuss now?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: No. But can you [inaudible], you will need to set a time for [inaudible] meeting in the call because you do not have the luxury of doodling and then [inaudible] around for a month. I would suggest your call should state when the first meeting will be held and it would be also at that meeting they confirm or modify the proposed timeline, because if you let them chew this over they should in fact be acting as oversight and future planning, not so much building the machine at this end. But yeah, sure. They need to have the courtesy of doing a sanity check on the possibility of the proposed timeline. If you don't do that, I genuinely fear now for this process.

ALAN GREENBERG: Cheryl, if you wanted the BMSPC to approve a timeline [inaudible]meeting, you and/or I and/or one or two other people have got to refine the one in the adjunct document. I was put together with a bunch of known flaws in it. So that would have to be [resent] before the

committee meets if there's a hope that they could ratify it at their first meeting. I don't mind participating in that so I'm just noting that.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan, sorry. Cheryl dropped, so I'm not sure if she can hear you. So how about if I just go ahead and draft the note? I'll draft a note. Do we have a deadline for call for membership? Did we say the fourth of October or is that too soon?

ALAN GREENBERG: It's up to Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I thought maybe one week.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So [inaudible] tomorrow?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: [inaudible].

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: [inaudible]. You heard what I said, sorry.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So we're just talking deadlines. So Olivier just said one week for the call so if we get it out today or tomorrow we could have it at the 4th of October and then the call of the BMSPC the week of the 7th?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That probably will work. I don't have the exact timeline. I don't know what the exact timeline is. As early as possible [inaudible].

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Are you going to get enough time for those people to be appointed?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Olivier said one week, so is that too soon? So basically we would give them until the 4th.

ALAN GREENBERG: You're talking about suggestions from the RALOs for BMSPC.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: They can't be meeting the following week. The ALAC has to confirm them.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, that's right.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: The BCEC simple. That could run in parallel, but that's actually something that can run – start its work a little bit later as long as it's hitting its call for expressions of interest in things out. In the November/December period it still should be alright. But if you just look to Alan's timeline and try to work around that and make a sensible time the – I would suggest that BMSPC meets on the day that Alan has listed for confirmation of its membership, which I thought was the end of October.

ALAN GREENBERG: 22nd – I would say meet within a day or so. Cheryl, when you dropped did you say what I said about the schedule?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Nope.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. What I said is if we're expecting the BMSPC to confirm the timeline at or very near their first meeting, then you and/or I and/or whoever is going to have to refine the one in the adjunct document because it has known problems in it. It is not being proposed as the one to be rubber stamped. It's something I put together, and as I did, identified some problems.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Sure, I have no problem with that.

ALAN GREENBERG: There's no problem doing that but if that's the target then that work must be done over the next month.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Absolutely.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: I think the chairs of the two groups need to [inaudible]

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: [inaudible] last half hour and sorry that I've had to jump in on conversations, so I just want to apologize to people.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: You're both speaking simultaneously so I didn't catch you. Go on, Cheryl, please.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I just think that [inaudible] what I was doing was apologizing, because I thought she was finishing up the meeting, that I have not been able to get back into the Adobe Connect room for at least the last half hour, if not more. It keeps dropping me out anyway. And I apologize if I had spoken over anyone. That's all.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It's okay, Cheryl. Thank you. Alan, you still have your hand up.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, I do. Just a reminder that decisions and selection of chairs if the ALAC is going to do both, that has to be done essentially in advance of the decision points so these groups can kick off as soon as possible.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: The decision of what chairs, sorry?

ALAN GREENBERG: The decision on who the BCEC chair is to be and the decision on whether the ALAC will appoint a chair, which is my recommendation for the BMSPC, and if so whom?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I will probably end up as the chair of the BCEC.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: We could [chairperson]. It's just chair.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I second your proposal.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I don't know if that means we're adopting my vote later on, whether I then need to give my vote to someone else.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: That's exactly what it means.

ALAN GREENBERG: No, Cheryl, you were chair and didn't give your vote away. Did you?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I took a directed vote. It's the only time I've ever taken a directed vote.

ALAN GREENBERG: But this time ALAC members are not allowed to take a directed vote.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: That is correct. So in this case he would have to use a delegate.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: And get someone else. Okay. Well, look, everyone the time is really – the clock is ticking. We've been on this call for two-and-a-half hours now so I think that we've pretty much reached full circle. I thank you all for this very long length of time. I'm sure we could go on for another 30 minutes but I sense that several people are actually completely brain dead, friend, or need to go somehow. Yes. So in fact, I need to go and I needed to go for a while, but there you go.

So thanks to all of you for having been on this call. Thanks very much to staff. And we've got a fair bit of things to move forward with. Was there anything else?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: No. I'd like to get some sleep [inaudible] hours.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Hearing no one shout out, tanks very much and have a very good rest of the day, the night, or the morning. This call is now adjourned. Thanks, everybody.

[END OF TRANSCRIPT]