
JULIA CHARVOLEN: The recording is on Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you. Good morning, good afternoon and good evening everyone. This is the ALAC Executive Committee Conference Call on the 11th of September 2013. Today is Wednesday. The time is 13:05 UTC and we'll start with the roll call please.

JULIA CHARVOLEN: Thank you Olivier. Welcome everyone to the ALAC Ex-Com Mid-Monthly Meeting on Wednesday, 11th of September 2013 at 13:00 UTC. On the call today we have Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Evan Leibovitch, Rinalia Abdul Rahim, Carlton Samuels, who will be joining soon. We also have Cheryl Langdon-Orr and Alan Greenberg and tentative apologies from Julie Hammer.

From Staff we have Silvia Vivanco, Matt Ashtiani will be joining us, and myself, Julia Charvolen. May I please remind all participants to please speak your names before speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you very much and over to you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much. Let's go immediately to the review of Action Items. The first set is the 27th of August ALAC Meeting. I invite you all to have a look at the Wiki that has this. Of the open Action Items there are

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

a few. The first is for Olivier to ask the ALAC to discuss the ALAC ccNSO Meeting Prep Group suggestion on the next conference call, and this was done. So this can be ticked as completed.

Next one was Alan Greenberg and Matt to work on cleaning up the various mailing lists. I gather this is still ongoing. The next one is Tijani Ben Jemaa and Eduardo Diaz to provide an update on the Meeting Strategy Working Group activities during the 27th of August ALAC call. I believe we had a small update on this, but that's again MS Working Group activities are ongoing. I think we can put this one as being done.

The next one – Alan Greenberg to complete required documents to allow the new Rules of Procedure to be put in place. Once that is close to complete, the Chair will put out a call for Members of the Board Members Selection Process Committee – BMSPC. Alan, any update on this?

ALAN GREENBERG:

My intent is to finish the two major documents that I have to work on; that and the singular/plural, if the group agrees, by today so that I can free up my next few days to work on ATRT stuff. So I hope to have it out by the end of today. I hope Cheryl will be able to review it quickly and we can put it out to the group.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thanks very much Alan. Matt Ashtiani to work with Dev Anand Teelucksingh and Olivier Crépin-Leblond on the development of an

overall workspace for the collection of At-Large Action Items. That's still ongoing. Any questions or comments on this set? I don't see anyone putting their hand up. We can move to the newly assigned Action Items.

Olivier to begin speaking with RALO Chairs on ALS de-certifications – that's still yet to come. Matt Ashtiani is to follow up with Jean-Jacque Subrenat on his recent vote activity. I'm not quite sure if Matt has managed to do that. Matt isn't on the call so we'll leave it as ongoing. Carlos Reyes to follow up with Wolf Ludwig on the status of the ATLAS II Survey. Are any Staff aware of what's been...?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Hi everyone. We've followed up with him a couple of times and he's just coming back online from his holiday so nothing yet. A Doodle did go out for a call this next week, so we'll be following up with him rather urgently. The status is we need to complete the Survey, translate it, and then it will go out. So we're going to get this into high gear because we're a little bit behind in terms of the timeline for the Summit. We're not concerned about it but we just need to get going on it. That's all.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much Heidi. But you should be concerned. Any slippage is of concern, so we should not be complacent on this.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

I am concerned but I'm not terribly concerned. We're going to move forward quickly on this, starting today.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Next, Olivier and Alan are to inform the ALAC when ATRT 2 documents are ready for a review. That's ongoing of course because they're not ready for a review yet. Any comments or questions on this list of Action Items? No? Then I invite you all to the next list of Action Items, which is from the 29th of August Ex-Com Meeting. And this one... I'm just looking at the title of that page and the title is 13.08.29, which is a bit weird.

Open Action Items – we've got Alan with regards to the Rules of Procedures, we've got Matt, Dev and Olivier working on the overall workspace for the collection of At-Large Action Items. We have the ALAC ccNSO Meeting Prep Group suggestion that can be marked as complete. And we've got Matt and Alan to work on cleaning up the various mailing lists. That's ongoing, as we touched on before.

And in the new assigned Action Items, we've got Olivier to suggest Alan Greenberg as Liaison to the Metrics Working Group. As we know, we've lost our previous Liaison, who was Yaovi, and I guess this is really something for the ALAC to consider. Would you think it's better to do it by email or should we wait until the next ALAC call? I don't see anyone responding. Nobody cares?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Just a suggestion – you'll note that on today's Agenda under Items for this month's ALAC meeting, there are no suggestions currently, so there might be some room on the Agenda.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I think that will be it. We'll put it on the Agenda and we'll discuss it during the call next week, or the week after next. Right, that's the Als, now let's move on. Cheryl, I see you've put your hand up?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thanks. The only thing is, depending on the Doodle, if we hold our next Metrics meeting before the ALAC meets – and it would be [00:07:42] Alan to at least come in [00:07:45] so concerned. That's all.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Cheryl. Staff will know when the next Metrics meeting is set to be targeted for.

HEIDI ULLRICH: That's for Julia? 19th of September. Okay, that won't work. Thank you. Cheryl has made a very good point.

ALAN GREENBERG: 19th of September I will not be available anyway. It's an ATRT meeting.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Indeed. So we'll just leave it as it is and maybe the Metrics Working Group can discuss what they want to do with regards to Alan, and we'll

leave the decision to happen during the next ALAC call. I don't think it's a good idea to have Alan drafted in and missing his first call.

ALAN GREENBERG: It wouldn't be the first time it happened like that. Liaisons do not necessarily attend religiously. They should but they're expendable.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, leave it at that for the time being. I'd say just put it on the ALAC Agenda. There are already enough emails that are going out to our Members at the moment. All right, let's get going and move on with the next part of our call, which is Agenda Item #3 – Items for discussion. We can just have a look at the current statements or endorsements being developed and reviewed and in commenting, etc.

The DNS Risk Management Framework Report, I believe at the moment that's being commented on. Julie Hammer has produced a first draft. I'm looking at this and we'll probably add some input from the discussions that we've had on the DSSA. I also note though that there was some input from LACRALO, some forthcoming input from LACRALO on this that might not go in the same direction, although at the moment it is in draft stage.

Silvia, maybe you can let us know. Have you seen that?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, I saw. There is some discussion on the LACRALO list apparently. Some Members are concerned about the direction of the ALAC decision. So I think there will be a LACRALO statement on this.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Silvia, is there going to be a LACRALO statement on this or is there going to be LACRALO input into the statement?

SILVIA VIVANCO: No, it looks like they would like to do a LACRALO statement, from the discussions I'm seeing. I haven't seen any decision on this yet, but it looks like they would like to have a LACRALO statement.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: So the ALAC process of input can ignore the fact that there is something going on at the moment in LACRALO?

SILVIA VIVANCO: I will continue monitoring it. I will check with José and Sylvia today and I will let you know.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you. Next, the statement on WCIT outcomes is still pending at the moment. I was actually in a meeting on Monday with the UK Government: the Multi-Stakeholder Advisory Group on Internet Governance – the MAGIG. The UK Government has come up with a

follow up to the WCIT and in fact it's an ongoing story since the WCIT took place.

There is certainly some movement going on now with regards to addressing concerns on spam, network resilience, security robustness, etc. Let's put this on the side for the time being. The statement on WCIT outcomes gives me a way to update you on what's going on on the WCIT and on the IT side of things.

The next one is the consultation on ccTLD delegation and redelegation, user instruction and source of policy and procedures [00:12:37] consultation on ccTLD delegation and redelegation, user instructions and source of policy and procedures. I think that's more than one but they've been put together. If it is one public comment may I just register for the record that whoever did this is insane – it's way too long. Inane. But then Cheryl Langdon-Orr will probably be able to provide us with feedback on this. Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

[laughs] It probably is insane, but that's another story. I did put out an email in response to Matt's question, where he set up a page regarding particular call for public comment, and you were copied in on it Olivier so we'll share it with the rest of the Executive Committee. I [regretted? 00:13:27] the ALAC does in fact consider making not a terribly extensive, but nevertheless responsive comment to this, based on the fact that we did vote to the earlier part of this process – this process being one that's

associated with the NTAA contract, IANA contract, and it has particular timelines.

It does have a [00:13:54] activities that are involved with the Framework of Interpretation Working Group that they're complementary and not contingent upon the questions raised. And Matt has put up a page. I'd be recommending that we do make a statement. I could hold the pen and I'd have no problem doing so, particularly because in the last round of reactions to calls for public comment, there were questions on these NTAA contract requirements, which also involved gTLD questions on new gTLDs, and there were also some ccTLDs in that question.

Alan and I have shared penning on that. And so I think it's personally reasonable for ALAC to say something and me to do some drafting. I also propose, because of the particular topic and having a clean nexus with the activities of the Framework of Interpretation Working Group, that I'd also ask both Maureen and Cintra to be engaged in some of the early drafting.

To that end, because of the close timetable, I've been so presumptive as to put up the questions that need to be responded to and indeed make a first draft already on those questions – that's on the relevant Wiki page and I did email both Maureen and Cintra earlier this morning and asked them to have a first go at that. So as soon as that happens... Actually, regardless of whether that happens or not, if the Ex-Com agrees, that can go out for wider community review.

It's not an overly challenging bit of circumstances of questions to answer and I'd certainly hope that it can be done on the very tight timetable that exists. I'd also point out that as of earlier today the almost identical set of questions – well, they are an identical set of questions; but they almost have an equal set of issues – has been released for separate public comment, which is gTLD, and obviously that's up to Alan as to whether or not he recommends that ALAC does the same and that he might hold the pen.

And if he wants to, what I've done there already is a template. And that's it from me.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Cheryl. I note that the two are there. I didn't hear you, whether you said there would be one statement for the 'g' and 'c', or a statement for the 'g' and a statement for the 'c'?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: If they're separate, because they're entirely different... Last time they were joint, this time they're not.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: They're separate.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: There's a link to the page that Matt set up and that already has drafting on it. That link is in the chat now.

ALAN GREENBERG: What's the deadline on that?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: The end of the month. 30th of September.

ALAN GREENBERG: There's no way I'll be looking at it until the end of next week so do with it as you will.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I have a feeling that these two might have to be separate and onto two separate Wikis, rather than having them on the same Wiki, if we're not going to have one text that addresses both.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I thought they would have to be but the responses are very unlikely to be other than identical to each other. So Alan does have the advantage of, if he so wishes, leaving off what I've already done.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Excellent. In which case I think we'll have to split the pages, because it's a little confusing for people to read through this. And with a title where

At-Large and ICANN Staff has a title with three ‘and’s inside one sentence, if you have two sentences with three ‘and’s each and put an ‘and’ in the middle of those two sentences with three ‘and’s each you end up with seven ‘and’s, and that’s just...

ALAN GREENBERG: Four ‘and’s actually.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Oh, is it four per each?

ALAN GREENBERG: I count four in that title.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I count three.

ALAN GREENBERG: “And source, and procedures, and consultation and redelegations...” But who cares? Let’s go on.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: And there is another bad English... Believe it or not, I haven’t done it in the current drafting but there is even some grammar and English sentencing that needs to be corrected but I’ll put that under ‘other comments’. I’m just being nit-picky.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you Cheryl. So, Matt to split those two, please, into two Wiki pages. Matt?

MATT ASHTIANI: That's an old hand. They will be split into two Wiki pages in about one minute.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Fantastic, thank you Matt. What was your old hand about?

MATT ASHTIANI: It was when you asked Cheryl the question about whether it would be one statement or two. That's already been answered.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: It's not about this but about Item 3(a) above, if we're finished with this Item?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Sorry, I didn't hear you.

ALAN GREENBERG: It's about 3(a) above if we are finished with the...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, that's right. Oh, you want to talk about 3(a) as well?

ALAN GREENBERG: I want to talk about 3(a), which we skipped over.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, we've finished with (b). Go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG: The vote results, which were reported recently, have Yaovi not voting. In fact I believe these votes started when he was no longer an ALAC Member and the size of the ALAC should be reduced to 14 and he not listed as a "not voting".

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I'm not quite sure of the Rules of Procedures on this.

ALAN GREENBERG: Well, he's left the ALAC. He's not there anymore.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: He has left the ALAC but not having a silk seat, I'm not quite sure whether that...

ALAN GREENBERG: I am sure.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: If it does I'm ready to go ahead with that, but I thought that it would just count as an empty seat with no...

ALAN GREENBERG: It does count as an empty seat. The votes reported that 13 out of the 15 ALAC Members voted, and Yaovi and [pt? 00:21:27] did not vote. It should be 13 out of the 14 and [pt?] did not vote.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: You're absolutely right. Well, let's take note of this.

ALAN GREENBERG: And sort of related to that – on the ALAC list of Members page, he should be made to go away also.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Absolutely. That needs to go. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'd talked about that with Matt regarding the vote. Matt, let's take care of that and then we'll go ahead to remove him from the website under ALAC Members.

MATT ASHTIANI: Just for clarification, from now on the vote results should read "out of 14 people" not "out of 15 people"?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct.

MATT ASHTIANI: Okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: Unless someone else leaves, in which case it's 13.

MATT ASHTIANI: It's my understanding that it was agreed on the last call that it remained at 15 until a replacement was found.

ALAN GREENBERG: I don't know who said that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Matt, I think one of the things is that there's unlikely to be a replacement for Yaovi until the AGM, so that's why the whole number of ALAC Members could be reduced. Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you. I think that as Matt said, there will not be any replacement for Yaovi for his remaining term of service, but I do agree with Alan that for the ALAC he's not ALAC anymore and he cannot vote in an ALAC vote. So the number of voters will be reduced to 14, that's clear, but that's not to say that we should replace him to get it to 15. I don't think it's appropriate to make a selection for those two months. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Tijani. Alan and then Matt.

ALAN GREENBERG: For the record, that's not our decision. Right now all we're talking about is reflecting reality and right now there are only 14 ALAC Members. If tomorrow AFRALO decides to name a replacement then it would go back up to 15. If they choose not to name a replacement until the end of the AGM then it stays at 14 or whatever it is. All we're talking about is mapping it to reality. The decisions on whether to fill or not are separate to that. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you very much Alan for this information. Matt?

MATT ASHTIANI: None of the document yesterday were officially submitted. They're still waiting for Olivier to approve them. So I can only send out another vote result, suppress the old vote results and for the documents going forward change the amount of ALAC Members within that. Is that something that you'd like me to do?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes Matt, you can do that. That's fine. Ultimately what's... With the respective public comment periods, so if they've not been sent out yet then please amend with the right numbers and total.

MATT ASHTIANI: Okay. No problem.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Let's move on. 3(d) you've got the early engagement workspace where you can look at public comment periods, etc., but what we can also add on this, and this appends to Agenda Item #3 is what Alan is going to speak to us about with regards to... I can't remember what it's for but I'm sure Alan can enlighten us.

ALAN GREENBERG: I presume we're talking about the singular and plural?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That's correct, yeah.

ALAN GREENBERG: The situation is the following. The Board New gTLD Policy Committee has to look at the [debts? 00:26:33] .com and .cam. They're also... I'm presuming the discussion is at least going to start at the Board Retreat at the end of September. Heidi, do you know the exact dates?

HEIDI ULLRICH: The workshop? Yeah, I can get those to you in just one moment.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'll continue in any case. That's a result of the fact that there have been several different panelists that have claimed .cam and .com are the same or different in terms of string confusion. We have other panelists who have claimed that various singulars and plurals are the same or not the same. Panelists have said that .hotel and .hotels are unique and different. They have said that .car and .cars are different.

On the other hand, other panelists have said .sport and .sports are the same and .tour and .tours are in fact the same. We have a set of rules in the Applicant Guidebook that are being determined effectively by random choice, depending on which panelist you pick or what the [00:28:10] argument, you have different answers. If I were on the Board I would make sure that issue comes up again, because we have a set of logical answers coming out of the Applicant Guidebook and treating applicants in semi-random ways.

So I suspect the singular versus plural may come up again and I believe if the ALAC agrees with me, it's something we should issue a statement on and issue a statement on prior to the retreat, prior to the workshop that's being held at the end of this month. That's the substance. I will put that formally into writing and draft a statement at the end of today. If the ALAC chooses to go ahead with it, fine. If not, obviously we won't.

I'll point out if you look at the other outcomes of the panelists they have also decided that .shop and a Chinese hand script character string meaning "online shopping" are the same. And both of them must go into a contention set, which from my perspective is about as stupid as one could be because whichever one wins is going to say the other market is out of the running.

We're not going to have people in the States using "dot two hand characters" and we're not... Well, we could have people in China using .shop but to say those are confusing, and confusing to the number of people who read both scripts... The whole process they've put into the Applicant Guidebook on addressing confusingly similar objections is obviously not working. So I believe it's going to be looked at again. I don't know what the Board can do to change it at this point, but I believe that if we feel there's an issue we should be saying something.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Alan for this. We look forward to the little note that you'll send over to the ALAC. I see Matt Ashtiani has put his hand up?

MATT ASHTIANI: That's an old hand but I did have a question. Alan, what did you want to call the statement?

ALAN GREENBERG: ALAC statement on confusingly similar gTLDs. If you put it on the policy page I will add something to it later today.

MATT ASHTIANI: I'll do that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Matt. I recommend that you look again at your Action Item that you drafted with regards to the [00:31:08]. You've managed, I think, to make double the length of that as well, "and, and, and, and..." "many, many, many..." a few too many as well. So let's move on and let's get onto the next part of our call, which is the At-Large selection of the Board Member and the next steps around that.

I think we did discuss this somehow, we just need to get a little update on where we're at now to get this process moving. I do know, Alan, that you had mentioned to us a little earlier that things are in the pipeline.

ALAN GREENBERG: Sorry, you made a statement, I didn't think I had to confirm?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I can see that people can't hear me.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Alan, I think Olivier may be asking if you have any updates on this?

ALAN GREENBERG: Can you repeat the question? I'm confused.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, At-Large selection of a Board Member. Next steps. The first thing we have to move forward with is the ABS BNBS... Whatever the name is... You have said that things are on the way and you'll have some things ready pretty soon.

ALAN GREENBERG: I plan to have a statement ready today I hope, if there are enough hours in the day. I hope Cheryl will be able to ratify it quickly that I've captured all of her issues and then we can release it to the ALAC. This is not a Rules of Procedure document that I believe the ALAC should be niggling with, because it's simply reflecting history and Cheryl is the authority on that. The only non-history is going to be a proposed schedule and it is a proposed schedule which the group can change as soon as they convene.

So once Cheryl is happy with it we can go to a vote.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Excellent. Let's move onto Item #5 then, which is the update and next steps on the ATRT 2. I know that there was an ATRT 2 call yesterday, which unfortunately I missed. Alan, would you have the latest update on what's going on in ATRT 2?

ALAN GREENBERG: There were discussions with ICANN Staff on the issue of the public comment process and the work that Chris Gift is doing. There was virtually no other discussion on the call.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Just to let you all know, next week the ATRT 2 will meet in Washington DC to follow on with all of the different drafters and teams that are currently drafting text. I can't remember how many recommendations are expected? In excess of 30 I think?

ALAN GREENBERG: Right now there is a lot. Brian believes it should be fewer, other people say no. That's going to be decided next week.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: As you will note there is a Wiki page there that points to several locations on the ATRT 2 Wiki, so if you're interested in following up you'll be able to do so. Of course there's all of the ATRT meetings available on Adigo and Adobe, and people can follow this. I think it's streamed as well if you just want the sound streamed.

We'll move onto the next thing, which is the ALAC ccNSO Meeting Prep Taskforce and just a quick update from Cheryl on this please?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: The ccNSO Council meeting was held last night. It was on their Agenda and they decided that if you'll be written back to in response to my email, you were all copied on and was outlining our contributions to the said little Working Group, they will be contributing even fewer than I predicted. So it's just as well you didn't go out and create a cast of thousands because you'll be giving a representative from their Meeting Planning Sub-Committee and a Staff Member. You'll be hearing on who that will be shortly.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, excellent, thank you very much. Let's move onto Agenda Item #7 and that's the Competition Consumer Trust and Consumer Choice Review Team. As you know there's a call for volunteers, which has come out over in ICANN, and we need to basically think on how we're going to be building... What the process is to have the volunteers acknowledged by the ALAC. The way that it works... The call for volunteers, the AC and SO...

Well, people from the At-Large community will be able to go and submit their candidatures directly to the rtcandidatures@icann.org address and then the ALAC will be asked to endorse applicants, very much in the same way as was done in the ATRT 2. The endorsement would be due by the 4th of November. The applications are due by the 1st of October

so the ALAC would have effectively one month to endorse any applicants from any in the At-Large community.

Now, I'll open the floor briefly on how we're going to do this. I would say we could have a smaller group that will be going through those applications, pretty much like what Rinalia had put together last time for the ATRT 1. I open the floor. Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you Olivier. I think we spoke about this and we decided that Rinalia will do the same. She accepted to do the same for this endorsement.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Tijani. I'm not sure whether she accepted; I think it was handed over to Rinalia and...

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I have a feeling that she was asked to consider it and she said she would consider it.

ALAN GREENBERG: She has already denied it and I have my hand up. I would suggest that since Rinalia is off the ALAC as of this November, she may want to consider applying for this. And if that were the case – and I’m not trying to put words in her mouth – then it would be inappropriate for her to be chairing the group.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: You’re quite correct Alan. We have Rinalia on...

ALAN GREENBERG: Rinalia says she’s not applying for it so that’s out. Sorry.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Rinalia, would you be able to Chair that meeting? “I’m afraid not, I said I’d sleep on it. October is a terrible month for me.” So do I take that as a no then? “Correct”. Okay, well, we would have to find another Chair and probably build a new group. There are alternatives. We could keep the [00:39:57] as it is and just add one more person and get another Chair for it, or we could just convene a new group altogether, a new [alt? 00:40:10]. Any thoughts on this?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: It seems to me that it would be smarter to run the same group and appoint an additional as a Chair from that group; whether it’s the additional or the new appointment.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you. And of course Yaovi will have to be replaced because he was in that group as well. I gather Rinalia will remain in the group but will not be chairing it. We need to find someone from Africa to replace Yaovi and we need to get the group to get itself a new Chair. Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: I would suggest that candidly and privately and not on a recorded conversation we ask Rinalia if there are any people on that group who should not stay on it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you. We'll follow up afterwards of course. As we know, when it comes down to discussing people and so on, we do afford our Members the ability to not have their names in discussions.

ALAN GREENBERG: Due to that, I would suggest we reconstitute it, but if it ends up with most of the same Members, so be it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Alan. Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you Olivier. Since Yaovi will not be on this group and since we need an African on it, I would propose that Aziz Hilali take over and get into this group. Not as a Chair but as a Member.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much. Aziz... I'm not sure who the current Members are. Were they all supposed to be ALAC Members, or were there some At-Large in the group?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I think it is At-Large but I'm not sure.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It would help to know. Rinalia, would you be able to let us know? I thought it was all ALAC, that's why it was all ALAC. So we cannot have Aziz.

ALAN GREENBERG: It's an ALAC decision and we delegate it to the group.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Let's follow up by email after this call and I'll follow up with Rinalia and she'll be able to give us more information on who the Group Members are and whether we should just have a new call for Members or just look at the ALAC Members from the regions that are underrepresented now and ask them to volunteer here. Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Old hand.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Let's move on. The next one is the Buenos Aires meeting. For this it says my name next to it but I think that I should let Heidi take us through what she wanted to ask us. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I just wanted to let everyone know very briefly that we are beginning to work on the meeting Agendas. They're going into the chat now. I've not heard back from all Working Groups. I've sent a couple of reminders so please, those of you who are leading groups, please let me know if you would like to hold a meeting. There are going to be some new features this time for At-Large. There will be some joint ATLAS II meetings with the Regional Secretariats and also the Capacity Building Meeting Groups.

So that will be something new and I think very useful. We're also going to be having a 3.5-hour wrap up session this time to allow enough time. There are so many items taking place at the AGM for the ALAC, lots of voting. So that's going to be taking place from 8:00 until 11:30. Silvia is working with LACRALO on the showcase, so that's likely going to be on the Monday and they'll have their first call in about two weeks to move that forward.

RALOs will be having calls. I think most of the RALOs except AFRALO have asked for a meeting so far, so that's going to be quite busy there. I

think that's it for the meetings themselves. We'll continue working on those. We're scheduling working with ATRT 2 and other groups to get meetings going on that. So I think that's all I wanted to speak to you to on that point. But I did want to spend a little time on the next item.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Prior to this Heidi, are there likely to be any structural changes to the meeting days as we know them? We know Tuesday is the constituency day and then... There are several rules on how things are run – like you can't run meetings at the same time as the opening ceremony, etc. Are there any changes there?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Very good question. Nothing definitive yet. I've heard lots of possibilities. We've not had the kick-off meeting yet. I think there might be something again... The big non-conflicted meetings will be Monday. There was some discussion of having possibly another constituency day on Wednesday, but again it's all very early days. It could be Tuesday or Wednesday. Nothing definitive yet and I don't even know if it's going to be for Buenos Aires, it might be for Singapore.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you. And when do you expect the kick-off date to start because I see we're discussing this but then things change and we might be told the whole week is completely different.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I believe kick-off will be later this month or early October on that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you. Any questions or comments on this first part? I see Cheryl and Tijani.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I just wanted to give a potential heads-up – depending on whether or not I'm concerned by the Board in their end-of-month meeting as Chair of the NomCom and then depending on the 2014 NomCom kick-off meeting being planned, which of course is then becoming very difficult, one of the things I would like to do, Heidi, is have a small slot of time in the Friday morning wrap-up meeting to perhaps have a ten or fifteen minute slot for NomCom 2014.

I just wanted to give you a heads-up, but that's all hypothetical and the whole thing is a house of cards.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you very much. Stuart and I have actually been in touch on a lot of issues and I'm tapping my fingers often. In the past it was where the ALAC would go to the NomCom and now I'm hearing that you would like to have the NomCom come to the Ex-Com, is that correct?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Indeed. If at all possible I would prefer to have a small number or however many who wanted to come along; at least the Leadership Team and the ALAC rep, come to an ALAC meeting as opposed to the other way around.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, I'll slot that in. Thank you very much.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Pencil it in please as none of us know what may happen.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Cheryl. I just want to make sure you mean meeting with the Ex-Com, is that correct? Okay, I thought I had misheard to start with.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: The wrap-up session, which is your Ex-Com Friday morning session... Heidi just indicated that was going to be a longer session and I wanted to make sure there was a penciled-in slot if possible.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: We're not talking about the same session then because there's the Ex-Com session but there's also the Thursday morning wrap-up, which is the ALAC wrap-up. The ALAC wrap-up will be longer...

CARLTON SAMUELS: No, Friday morning.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Friday morning, correct. I have that now.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, so don't call it the wrap-up then because that's the Ex-Com at that point. We call it wrap-up. Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I hope that this time we will not have as many overlapping sessions as we had in Durban. There are always overlapping sessions but I mean overlapping for an interested person, for the persons who are interested by similar subjects or issues. And to have less overlapping sessions we need to express our need for meetings now, very soon. Heidi, I will give you our needs for the Capacity Building Working Group and also for AFRALO after the call tomorrow.

And I hope that everyone does the same so that you will not have to, at the last minute, add a new meeting that is interesting for us to attend but which we would not have time to attend because we're in another session. This is my first point. The second point is on the Buenos Aires meeting. I saw in the budget that the extension of the acceptance for the Saturday leaving was refused. So this time the Ex-Com will also meet

on Friday, but we will not be supported for an extra day. What will happen? Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: May I respond to that?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Please go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Olivier and Xavier and I had some discussions on this item and we did a follow up when Olivier was in town in August. The agreement was that depending on the meeting and the location – whether there were flights available leaving that night or the early morning would depend on whether there would be funding for that. So in Buenos Aires it was shown that there were a lot of flights leaving in the evening after 1900 so the decision was made that the funding would be only through the Friday.

But Tijani, I'm still aware of your concerns and if we can take this offline I'm sure we can work through something, perhaps, for you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Heidi. The answer to the first question?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm sorry, I didn't catch that. On overlapping sessions? Yes, I'm sorry, I'm very well aware of that and I know everyone is working on that and trying to avoid that, but what we're seeing among all ACs and SOs, within ICANN Staff, is that there are just more and more meetings, so there are going to be conflicting meetings. I can bring that up to them and raise that concern but I don't have an answer at this point but I'm happy to bring that forward Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you very much Heidi for this follow up. Maybe we can shorten the week by one more day and then we'll have even less meetings? Let's move on...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Actually, can I move onto one other item? I have to leave in about two minutes so I wanted to just bring up the latest on the leadership training, the orientation? In the AC chat you'll see the latest curriculum and I wanted to congratulate everyone on that. The Academy Working Group have done a fantastic job in the last few weeks of pushing that forward.

They now have a draft curriculum and they also have principles for a trainer and just yesterday Sandra sent out the invitations to all of the NomCom selectees. Cheryl, I hope she forwarded that onto you? She was going to do that for [00:54:08] and you. Let me know if she didn't. She also sent out the notices, the announcements to all the AC and SO Chairs, except the gNSO ones, because we just had some questions on that so we'll follow up with that today.

So the deadline for those people to select their... This is what happens – the Academy Working Group, all NomCom selectees are coming then there will be extra available slots being doled out by the agreement of the Working Group and certain Members, and the AC and SOs need to select those Members themselves. And I hope there will be incoming Members or recent Members or [00:54:47] that can benefit from this training.

The deadline is the 16th so hopefully by then we'll know who is going to be coming. Again, take a look at the curriculum. It's basically a whole series of sessions under the [00:55:03] of the Academy. On the 13th and 14th there is a facilitation skills training. That night, on the 14th, there's a [00:55:10] event dinner to bridge over to the next AC and SO orientation leadership training that the Academy Working Group developed. That's the 15th and 16th.

Then there will be a meeting with the Academy Working Group during the ICANN meeting for feedback, and then there will be a follow up post-Buenos Aires for everyone going to that entire session. So this is an entire pilot; all these modules are a pilot so feedback would be key to

developing and evaluating the process for being used hopefully for a future event like this. We are moving ahead. Olivier and Nora and Avri and Sandra and Tijani will be on a call talking about an online learning platform that will be used as an integral part of this program.

That will be coming up some time this month. And Cheryl, I'll be offline with you about some issues regarding this as well. And I think that's it. Are there any questions? Unfortunately I need to go onto another call.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Heidi. There are quite a few hands up but Cheryl needs to go as well, so Cheryl Langdon-Orr?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thanks for that Olivier. I really wanted to address Heidi particularly, because you gave such an excellent review just then to us all. I would like to be able to say we had a similar discussion at the ccNSO meeting last night. We did not. It bordered on rye amusement if not hysterical farce. And to that end, Heidi, if you could possibly make sure that you give the same briefing to Bart and the rest of the team?

Perhaps even contact the leadership [piece? 00:57:05] and Byron on this, that would be very useful because Hong basically... To say "shot it in the foot" would be a complementary term. Neither of us have time to go into it now. I did want to raise it with [00:57:20] tonight anyway because I was horrified and I think we need to do some damage control. That will have to be taken offline but I think the Leadership Team here

need to know that the Academy was pretty effectively shot in the foot or the back of the head by Hong.

HEIDI ULLRICH: The entire process?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Oh yeah.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Let's have a call on that. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I have got to go but I did want the rest of the Committee to hear that as well. Thank you. Sorry Olivier but I really needed to share that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you very much. Carlton?

CARLTON SAMUELS: I really want to... Tijani raised the issues about funding and again every time this thing comes up I hate to feel as if I am begging somebody to offer my expertise and services to ICANN. I really would want it on the record that I for one deeply resent this position taken by ICANN Staff that we are pipers at the table looking for handouts. It really does bother me.

Let me tell you what happened this morning. I have a job that pays me \$1,200 US a day in the Governor's Office in Anguilla and I had to tell them that I would speak to them because I have this meeting. That is one thing that I have had to do to make sure that this thing that we are doing here moves forward. So when I take my professional standing and put my professional obligations on the backburner to volunteer my time, effort and expertise, to be treated so casually by ICANN really upsets me.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Carlton. I can only echo what you've just said here. Next is Alan Greenberg. I hear Tijani also second what you've just said Carlton.

ALAN GREENBERG: So do I, for the record. My first one was stolen by you. I was going to suggest we eliminate Thursdays and just make it a nice three-day week. That would be easier for everyone.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Thank you. That's exactly right Alan. [laughter]

ALAN GREENBERG: That was in relation to the crowded schedule. In terms of the Friday, I have no real problem leaving late at night, if there's an appropriate flight, especially on an airline that I'm travelling on. And I don't want to

be forced into taking an arrival flight that's bad because the departing one happens to leave at night. That becomes really awkward. It means you're leaving for their convenience and arriving in a tired state before a grueling week of work. I have some problems with the overall concept.

However, no one has mentioned at the very least providing a half-day. If they don't want to provide a full-day I'm happy to leave at night. I'd like a place to keep my bag, a place to change my clothes and take a shower before I have to leave. Most hotels will allow you to keep the room until 8 o'clock at night or so for a half-day charge, which I think is completely reasonable and something that ICANN should be paying. And if that's totally unreasonable then they need to provide a half-dozen rooms that we can book and at least have a place to change clothes.

My flight's only 15 hours or something like that. Other people are flying a hell of a lot longer than that, and to ask them to do that as a follow-on to a long day, without an opportunity to at least take a shower in between I think is totally outrageous and inconsiderate. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

I hear that and I'll take that back again. I do need to go unfortunately, so I'll listen to the recording of the rest of the meeting.

ALAN GREENBERG:

The half-day is not unreasonable by the way. Hotels can't always do it depending on who's coming in, but often they can.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you very much. Take care everyone, bye-bye.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you. Next is Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I will say almost what Alan said, but I'd like to be very clear – I will not check out in the morning to go directly from the meeting to the airport. I need to go back to my room to change and then to go to the airport, and if there is enough time that's okay. And if I have the room until the time I leave that's okay. If that's the case, I will not. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Tijani. With regards to the AC and SO leadership training, I've noted one thing, which was the page to which this Agenda Item points. It's actually the old At-Large Academy ad-hoc Working Group. I would have thought that the one that's in charge of the work that's being done is the expanded Working Group workspace. Would anybody be able to let me know which one is the one, and also how are things going to be updated on those pages?

Because I do note that, for example, Tina Dam is mentioned twice on the expanded Working Group space. I know that we've had some personnel change with Chuck Gomes who has stepped down, and there are several others that have stepped down as well due to other works, like Nigel Roberts for example and a few others. Anyone from Staff? No?

MATT ASHTIANI: Given the situation Olivier I would suggest that you have an offline conversation with Heidi. I could make that an AI if you like?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, that's fine. Let's do that. Let's move onto Agenda Item #9 – topics for our next ALAC meeting. At the moment it's a draft Agenda to be updated. What do we need to be speaking about? Any requests that any of you have in addition to the usual sections that we have?

ALAN GREENBERG: There isn't a section on the Board selection. There needs to be a significant one.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, there is a section at the moment that says "At-Large selection of Board Member next steps". Do you need more than ten minutes?

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm not running it but I would suggest you need more than ten minutes.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Sorry, I was looking at the wrong page. So Board Member selection, fair enough. 15 minutes?

ALAN GREENBERG: I would allow at least 15.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: 15. Okay. [TCT? 01:05:09]? Yes, that's a good point. One Agenda Item on this. Let's make it about ten minutes on this instead of an announcement starting the process. Any other...? I would have thought an update from the ICANN and At-Large Academy would probably be a good thing, since there's been so much going on in such a short amount of time. I would suggest that we have that as well.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Also Olivier, ATLAS II.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: ATLAS II, yes, okay. An update from the ATLAS II Working Group Chairs.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Olivier, this is Carlton. Can I ask...? Cheryl mentioned a torpedoing of the Leadership Academy thing... I'm not sure I understood what the background is. Is there going to be an opportunity for us to get further and better particulars on that?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I think that what we'll do is have a full update on what the ICANN Academy is doing. What it's going through at the moment, as far as I understood, was to try and find some trainers for this, coming from the different SOs and ACs, and it might well be that there was a discussion in the ccNSO regarding trainers. That said, I wasn't on that call so I'm just speculating at the moment.

But the process of the current years, it looks as though the overall curriculum has now been agreed on, is being distributed among the Members of the Working Group and the next thing, as I said, is getting the trainers, getting the people who will benefit from this specifically. And I've received an email from Sandra, wearing my hat as ALAC Chair, that the newly selected Committee Members will be able to receive that knowledge from the ICANN Academy.

But the ALAC also has to choose a couple of people because we're afforded a few more spaces to be able to attend. So that will definitely be a discussion we need to have during our next ALAC call. Therefore I think the ICANN Academy discussion or leadership training or whatever you call it, will probably need to be about 15 minutes in length. Evan Leibovitch?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I just wanted to backtrack to something. There was some comment a few minutes ago that something had been scuttled or damaged regarding the Academy, and this is absolute news to me. If there's a need to bring this meeting in-camera in order to discuss it, that's fine.

But the hint that something has happened that puts components of the Academy at risk is absolutely totally new to me. Could that please be expanded upon a bit? And if that needs to be done in-camera then please do it, because that totally hit me out of the blue.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much Evan and thank you for your concern. I don't know the details myself either. The only person who does is Cheryl and she has unfortunately left the call. I believe that she will follow up with us by email afterwards. So there's no need to pursue the call further. I don't think anyone else on the call has any more information than any of us.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Is there a cause for alarm?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I don't know. That's the first I heard of this as well. All right. Fine. Any other thoughts on other things we might wish to discuss during our next call? Right. I don't see anyone putting their hand up. I can see Alan's hand has just popped up. I don't know if that's an old hand that popped up for #9, or are we on #10?

ALAN GREENBERG: You could ask me?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That's what I'm about to ask. Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: I don't know which number it is. Back to the training sessions and such – when is the expectation that we will know who is going to be trained and who the trainers are so that constituency travel can start arranging travel?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Alan. I believe that it's within the next week or week and a half. [01:10:27] fast as possible.

ALAN GREENBERG: My recollection is that if you need a visa, Argentina generally requires an itinerary.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes. I'm sure they're well aware of this and this is why the Working Group has been working so hard on that. We'll have to see. I guess it will also depend on the response rate at which the SOs and ACs will respond to the invitations that they will have received from Sandra. But with regards to the actual Academy teaching people, then this I guess is probably going to be done a lot earlier than the general ICANN constituency travel.

ALAN GREENBERG: Remember, there are two different training courses we're talking about here.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes. Unfortunately, I haven't got any further information on this, but we'll no doubt know a lot more once Sandra will brief us during the next ALAC call. Any other business. Agenda Item #10. Rinalia?

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Thank you Olivier. Can you hear me?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, and we're delighted you're able to speak, whereas earlier you were tied to your keyboard.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: [laughs] Sorry about that. I just wanted to give a heads-up to the Ex-Com. I'm sure you've seen the announcement, the ICANN selection of an Integration Panel for the root zone LGR project? I just wanted you to know that in discussions that I've had with experts on the project itself, the expertise that's been selected for the panel itself is lacking a very core component, which is expertise on the DNS. This is quite concerning for me and I'm trying to get ICANN Management to do the right thing.

Should they fail to do the right thing I would like to ask the ALAC to consider making a statement about the panel itself and the work they're about to do, because I think that's it's quite folly to proceed without having real expertise on the DNS, given that ICANN is tasked with [01:12:50] over the domain name system. There are also other small issues related to the expertise itself but I think that's the biggest one that I think is a problem. Thanks.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you very much Rinalia. May I ask the question to those of you that have been around for a while – is it in the ALAC's remit to deal with matters of such micro-management?

ALAN GREENBERG: It is if we think the outcome might be wrong because of it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: In addition to the DNS, the additional expertise that's lacking is on IDN A 2008. There are two sets of IDN A: IDN in applications 2003 and 2008. They only got people who are well versed in 2003 and I think that's a danger because when you consider the proposals that are going to come from different language communities for the root zone and you don't

have the right expertise – not just for the DNS but for how to integrate the linguistic aspect of it on top of the DNS sets, that’s a real problem.

And it’s a problem for the community because they won’t be able to get what they need, and it’s a problem for everyone else because if something goes through that affects the security and stability of the DNS, it’s a problem for every Internet user. So that is a concern for us.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Rinalia. Go ahead Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Rinalia, is this your assessment or is this a self-assessment in what they publish as their areas of expertise?

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: They have published a list of experts and I consulted three people whom I respect in the technical field: Patrick Fälstrom, Andrew Sullivan and [John? 01:14:42]. And there is a consensus view about the gaps in the expertise and we’re trying to convey this to the ICANN Management and if they persist in going down the wrong path then I think that we need to say something.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. It would be good if we could do it jointly with, if no one else, the SSAC.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: The SSAC may not be in a position to... I already asked Patrick about this. He said the SSAC could very well say that the criteria that has been set are the correct ones but they're not able to assess the individuals that would be going beyond their remit. Things you could come out and say something as a person; in your own personal capacity.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: The SSAC is a Technical Advisory Committee and the Technical Advisory Committees are not able to comment on anything else but just a technical matter. So whether the paper asking for... Or whatever. Any paperwork that has this, whether it's correct or not. But they will not be able to comment on implementations, certainly. Okay, I still see Rinalia and Alan with their hands up. I gather this was the discussion that we just had. Any other business from anyone?

Seeing no one put their hand up I thank all of you for this call, which was very helpful and a bit shorter than usual and I think that we'll be speaking probably in more calls later this week, or next week. Until then this call is adjourned. Bye-bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPT]