

NATHALIE PEREGRINE: Good morning, good afternoon, good evening everybody. This is the NARALO monthly call on the 9th of September 2013. On the call today we have Garth Bruen, Thomas Lowenhaupt, Darlene Thompson, Kerry Brown, Gordon Chillcott, Eduardo Diaz, Garth Graham, Murray McKercher, Glenn McKnight, Joly MacFie, and Peter Knight.

We have apologies from Evan Leibovitch, Gareth Shearman, and Olivier Crepin-Leblond. From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Matt Ashtiani, and myself Nathalie Peregrine.

I'd like to remind all participants to please state their name before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much and over to you Garth.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. This is Garth again. Can everyone hear me now?

UNIDENTIFIED: Yes.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Good. If I could ask everybody if they have their agenda page open to refresh it. There was, I guess, an over wright to the agenda, it posted and some of it got deleted and they tried to push it as much of it back as I could before we got started.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

So, while everybody is refreshing, if the secretary is on the line, could we have a call of the action items? Thank you.

UNIDENTIFIED:

Yes, the action items. Item 2.1 was last month's monthly call, which we focused mainly on the rules of procedure changes. Then there is the NARALO monthly report, which I put in for July and August. 2.3, NARALO call time will be at 3:00 every time. 2.4, staff on a March 18th, 2013 ALAC briefing call on RAA changes, staff Margie [?] and Stan [?] were asked to identify ICANN's economic advisors and provide the economic study document that was the basis of changes to RAA 3.3.6 and 3.3.7.

Will At Large staff please forward this request again and note this is the sixth call for this information? 2.5, notes standard agenda items three and six have been combined in a meeting super topic number three. 2.6, staff please provide for future election instructions in French and on Spanish. 2.7, staff please provide for future elections a test vote for a null item to ensure all ALS's have access and functionality.

Too many analyses have reported problems receiving the ballots. The ROP vote will serve as a test for the runoff vote. I believe the ROP vote came off without a hitch though that way, so that's one good thing. 2.8, staff, please advise on the status of translation of the ICANN news alert in Spanish and in French.

2.9, staff, 10.3.3 on tracking travel related reimbursements, we need a better tracking system with full disclosure. Conversations via Skype, etcetera, cannot be tracked. 2.10, staff, please advise on the status of

indigenous people's fellowship access in North America. 2.11, staff can confirm that the NARALO operating principles was quarried and has passed. And staff has done that.

2.12, staff and members, runoff election will commence following this call. That's it. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you very much Madam Secretary. This is Garth Bruen, chair of NARALO. One item that I did not get to post, I guess it got scrubbed somehow; I just wanted to make sure that Kerry Brown had access to the Skype chat for NARALO. I'd be happy to add that later as an action item, maybe staff can just take note of it.

And Heidi from staff has her hand up, please go ahead Heidi. You have the floor. If Heidi is talking, we cannot hear her. Heidi is typing in the chat room. It says, "Economic study has followed up again. I was informed that the study will be posted no later than Wednesday in its final stage of being prepared for hosting. Will join in a moment." This is Garth Bruen speaking for Heidi Ullrich.

Okay. Moving on into today's agenda. The first item after action items, number three meetings and events. We have our ATLAS II, which is our At Large summit, our second At Large Summit. That is coming up in June, and there is a working group that is looking for volunteers, and we...

I don't recall. I'm on that working group myself, and I don't recall that a call has been scheduled, or events have been scheduled, for that. Does

anybody on the call have any knowledge of a call coming up for ATLAS? No? Okay. We will try to find that out and get that information out there and get that posted. Yes?

UNIDENTIFIED: A couple of things. I'm back online. I also see that Eduardo, who is the co-chair of the ATLAS II organizing committee, has his hand raised.

GARTH BRUEN: Fantastic. Eduardo please, take the floor.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I'm not sure when the next one is, but I think there is one before the end of September. Let me know if I am correct. I just wanted to say a few words about the timeline when we get there. [?] The timeline, yes, I can say something on the timeline now if you want.

GARTH BRUEN: Yes please. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: What?

GARTH BRUEN: Go ahead, Eduardo, talk about the timeline.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. I just wanted to say that we're kind of off the timeline because [?] you have gone out by September 1st, but somehow we have September 9th and I have not been able to get in touch with Wolf Ludwig. I think [?] have been trying to get him to do the share, the survey group. That survey that has gone out at the beginning of September.

So we will try to get in touch with him, otherwise things are moving. It is time to do this, but I suggest to the end of September and get the survey out as soon I'm going to get [?]. That's my report.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you very much. This is Garth Bruen again. Heidi still has her hand up, Heidi I'll recognize you if you want to talk some more.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you everyone. This is Heidi. I'd like to just go over a little bit of the action items, if I could, just to update them.

GARTH BRUEN: Yes Heidi, please. This is Garth.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So yes, on the economic study, I've spoken to legal today and they assure me that the study is in the final state of it being posted, so no later than Wednesday we should see that. And again, many apologies

for the delay in that. I know that we've been talking about that for some time.

The staff question about future election instructions in French and Spanish...

MATT ASHTIANI: We can provide that... Hi. Sorry, this is Matt for the record. That's not a problem; we can provide the translations for future votes.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Then the next one, please provide for future elections a test vote on the null item to ensure all ALSs have functionality. Matt?

MATT ASHTIANI: Hi, this is Matt for the record. I think that was supposed to be done in advance of the ROP vote, so if you can just provide me with some clarity if you would like that to still continue, or if it's mute at this point.

GARTH BRUEN: This is Garth for the record. Just so everybody understands, we don't have elections that often. I mean, we absolutely have them once a year, but because we don't have them that often, officers change within ALSs, people change their email addresses, etcetera.

Sometimes people don't get their ballots and sometimes the right person doesn't get the ballot, so we want to make sure that there are no bumps when we have an actual election because in the last couple of

elections, I think, there were a couple who were unable to vote, or didn't get their ballots right away. And that might have been just because that went to the wrong folder in their mailbox, etcetera.

So by having the test vote maybe a week before a real election, we would be able to hit all of those problems head on and resolve them before an actual election. Since we had the ROP vote last week, we actually [?] and we were able to fix them. So I'm just going to count that as the test vote for this particular runoff election this week.

But for the next election, whatever it is that we have, we are adding some new items like, for example, French and Spanish election instructions. We want to make sure that those go out as they're supposed to, and that they're understandable by the communities that receive them, and that all the technical aspects of voting go off without a hitch.

So what I would like to do is just hold the next vote, this coming vote, the runoff vote, and then when we schedule another vote, that we work on a test vote in advance and I'll work with staff to facilitate that. And Heidi has her hand up again, if you want to...

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes please. So there are several issues that we have updates... This is Heidi for the record. So the next one was, please advise on the status of translation of the ICANN news alert in Spanish and French. So I followed up with Jim [?] and Christina Rodriguez who is the language services manager.

The response is that the request for translation in Spanish and French are made the same day that the English is posted. So results are returned in about 24 hours. The issue seems to be a backup in the web administration team, of actually posting them. I was on the website, to the ICANN news alert today; it's about a month behind.

So I can follow up with web administration to see if they can get those posted as soon as they're sent. We have recognized that there has been a bit of a backlog on getting things posted on our side as well for At Large issues.

Next one is 2.9, tracking related reimbursement of... I'm just wondering, is this basically a Wiki page where everyone who is due a per diem is posted and then they announce when their per diem has reached their bank account? Is that what the aim of this is?

GARTH BUREN:

This is Garth. I think, in general, just having collected stories from people about travel. Sometimes people have certain issues with travel, and they don't always know how long it's going to take to resolve them, and who they should be talking to, and some of the members of the community have come up with the idea of just a ticket number, a tracking number.

So they can see if they have an issue, where their issue is in the process, and they have something that links them to the issues that they've reported.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. This is Heidi again. May I suggest that I work with constituency travel on this? To see if they can do a ticketing system or some sort of Wiki page, and then we'll get back to you.

GARTH BUREN: Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Is that an action item? Sylvia, if you could please copy that as an action item. Okay, next one, 2.10. Please advise on the status of indigenous people fellowship access in North America. Okay. There are a couple of issues here. So we have received a note from Janis Lang who has said that the current fellowship program is not able to have the indigenous issue for North America, due to it being based on developing country issues.

But, we've been working very hard internally to see if we can get around that, and I think we've achieved it. Again, this is still very much in planning process, but Janice, Nora, and I had a meeting with Fadhi last week, and things seem to be moving forward. This will be a development of a new pilot At Large exchange program, and the aim of that would be time wise to start that post Singapore.

It would be a three month program, up to three ALS representatives, hopefully new ones, meeting a criteria set by ALAC would be chosen, and it would be linked to the Fellowship program. So it's not... They wouldn't be part of it, the current system, but they would be linked to it. And that's all being planned; it is sort of in the beginning stages.

So the original program that At Large staff developed, would be the first month would be orientation, and then linked mentoring to various working groups, and various ALAC members. The second one would be on the ground. Again, timing for this would be in London in time for the ATLAS II, so it would be a logistical and support for the ATLAS II.

And then the third month would be helping staff and community members implement those action items and do an evaluation of that. So again, very much still in development. Now we've spoken to Olivier about this, and one of the criteria, one of the slots could possibly be for an indigenous person from NARALO. And again, it depends on whether they meet the criteria.

So this is basically the door for – the Fellowship is closed by the window to include them in this At Large exchange program is open.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. That's really fascinating news; I mean I'd love to get some more concrete information apparently, obviously, when that becomes available.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yeah. I was waiting for this call to basically announce it. It's a 30,000 foot level, so things are just moving very quickly on this. I'll forward the notes from Janice about the fellowship program, and then as this exchange program is developed, we'll definitely keep you in touch on that.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Great. Was that everything from your end?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Just a couple more. Let's see, [?] can confirm that the NARALO operating principles vote was [?] and has passed. I'm seeing Matt nodding his head, so that has passed. Congratulations. And staff and members runoff election rules commence following the call. Yes we are set for 23:59 UTC start today on that.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you very much.

HEIDI ULLRICH: And actually just pending, we are in urgent need of the text, and I think that's coming from Alan. So we'll follow up on that.

GARTH BRUEN: Great. Fantastic.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I think that's it from that end.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Garth Bruen. So resuming with the call agenda, we had passed through the ATLAS discussion, and we're moving on just through a meeting wrap up, 3.2 is the general assembly for NARALO in Los Angeles. That's not until next year or the year after, 2015 maybe.

The next upcoming meeting is in Buenos Aries. I just want to check in with staff, if maybe you had asked, and I had missed it, if we wanted to schedule a NARALO meeting during the meeting? And my answer is going to be yes, that's true. Heidi you still have your hand up, are you responding to my question?

HEIDI ULLRICH: No. Sorry that was an old hand. This is Heidi. On the NARALO meeting for Buenos Aries, that is going to be... Do you have a preference for a date?

GARTH BRUEN: Well, I just want to make sure that the time of the day is agreeable to our members. I guess it won't be too bad because it's going to be more or less equal to the North America time, so I guess it would be okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Let me go ahead... This is Heidi again. Let me go ahead and look for a time that is at the same time that the NARALO call is normally held. It probably won't be Monday because Monday morning is full of large meetings, which will probably – you don't want to have that conflict.

GARTH BRUEN: Yeah. Tuesday or Wednesday maybe. I see Silvia has indicated she did ask me, and I'm sure she did ask me and I just haven't gotten to the email yet, so we'll sort it out. Okay. Some other positive developments

[?] that is coming up, that were announced recently from our membership.

The community of internet forums sponsored by [Sera], who also sponsored us in Toronto, on September 16th in Montreal, if Glenn or Louie are on the call, do you have a minute just to give everybody a quickie on what this meeting is? Okay. If anybody is talking, we can't hear you.

There is also an IETF meeting in Vancouver which I've also been informed that Glenn is going to be attending along with from staff, Carlos [?] which is a positive development. Is somebody trying to talk?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Hi. It's Glenn for the record.

GARTH BRUEN: Please.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: It's actually true; I'm going to both of the events, and the IP summit in November as well. The [Sera] event, that's the second one they're doing this year in Montreal, and coincides with their AGM. So Evan and I will be attending that, and probably will be seekers at that event.

The IETF, we're working closely with ISOC to have a booth at that event. So that's why I requested the NARALO brochures for both events. Back

to the [Sera] one, on Sunday we will be there for Sunday and Monday. So I hope to have the brochures before I leave on Sunday.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you very much Glenn for that brief. And then finally we have [six], which is the Singapore meeting fall in 2014. Okay. Agenda number four, communication and outreach strategy. 4.1, this is something that we're continuing to work on. I want to make a request of all of our members to come up with a list of 10 potential NARALO ALSs to recruit that are in your community.

And that could be literally in your community, geographically: city, state, region, province, etcetera. And then also organizations that is similar in nature. And don't worry about overlap with other people that might be submitting these lists. If we have overlap, then that is sort of like an unconscious – sounds like consensus.

And you can send me, if it's available, the organization's name, their business address, their website, and the contact name and email. And I'm going to be contacting all the NARALO ALSs directly about this, on a personal level to just discuss it and give everybody some pretty through instructions on how to do this.

And I'll actually be sending out actual notices and letters to recruit these organizations. But if they come from you, or if they come from our other memberships, it's going to be a little bit more relevant to what you're seeing in your community. 4.2, I want to welcome Kerry Brown with ISOC Canada to our calls.

I see that Kerry is on the Adobe chat. Is Kerry actually on the voice call? If you are, could you please just say hello and introduce yourself? Just a quick intro to you so everybody knows who you are and can hear your voice.

KERRY BROWN: Okay. I'm one of the founding members of ISOC Canada. I've also on the Board of Directors of [Sera]. I've been on there for five years. I don't know, that's about it I guess.

GARTH BRUEN: I think that's enough. This is Garth. We welcome you to our community, and we welcome you to the call and we look forward to seeing your participation at other meetings. This is great. 4.3, just a reminder about the various recruiting opportunities inside of Canada at the two meetings Glenn discussed.

4.4, there is going to be an outreach webinar and it's linked from there on Monday the 23rd at 14:00 UTC. And also, Glenn noticed a budget item for ICANN community outreach travel pilot program. I just wanted to check; Heidi is this different or is this the same as the one that you were talking about earlier?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. This is a different program, which is going to be announced officially on Friday and there have been – Olivier, and there have been some other internal calls with that, with Olivier, just to

discuss how it's going to be handled within At Large. So stay tuned for that. Excellent news. Just wait, it's excellent news.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Great. I can't wait. Agenda number five, our community. This was actually brought to my attention by Tom Lowenhaupt. I think it's a great idea. There are reserved strings within all of the GTLDs for certain words that either should go for domains for certain communities, or shouldn't be used at all for technical reasons.

Tom is concerned, and now I am concerned, about the strings at hyphen large, and At Large within the new GTLDs. We want to keep these as available as possible for the community, and keep people from abusing them who don't deserve control over them. So I wanted to bring this discussion out to everybody, and give Tom, if he is on the call, an opportunity just to give his viewpoint on the issue before I go over the specifics. Tom if you're there?

TOM LOWENHAUPT:

[?]

Okay. Thank you Tom. So I didn't completely screw up what he was thinking about. It's Garth again. 5.1.1, we have the reference in module two linked there for the applicant guidebook that refers to these reserved strings. 5.1.2, we have RFC 6761, which discusses the use of special use domain names. The current list is in 513, which...

The strings that you might expect to be reserved for within a community like ICANN, ALAC, and then some more technical ones like root servers,

inter-nick, invalid, etcetera, local hosts, things like that, local... That really shouldn't be used in the DNS; and then of course the community or internet structure, political structure, groups that should be reserved for those groups. What we're looking to add, and I've actually expanded upon Tom's original list, is at hyphen large, At Large without the hyphen, NARALO, LACRALO, AFRALO, EUR RALO, and APRALO, to cover all of the five regions.

And what I'm going to do is I'm going to send just a note about this to the other leadership in the other regions to get their idea on it. Is there anybody here on the call who has an idea about what the actual process would be for getting this into the reserve list? Alan, if he is on the call, would be the best person to answer this question.

I actually don't see Alan Greenberg in the list. It's okay, we will figure it out and we will move ahead with it. 5.2, I was invited to speak on the last LACRALO call, they were by Jose [Arce], and Silvia. They were really interested to hear about the things that we're doing within the RALO for outreach and recruitment, and I was very happy to help out and share ideas with them.

We may have them, somebody from another region on one of our calls to discuss various ideas, and I think it's a great thing to do. It has this kind of inter-regional cooperation. 5.3, is just a relist of all of our ROP changes, which were voted on... I'm not going to go over them one by one, but they are there for you to read if you have to, if you want to.

What I really want to do is go to 5.4 where we had a few no votes and an abstention. I just wanted to give anybody an opportunity on this call

to air their views about abstaining or voting no. I want to make sure that everybody's voice in the community is heard. Our rules of procedure are very, very important, and if anybody had any strong feelings about something that was changed, or the process that we went through to change it, you have an opportunity to talk on this call, or you can send me a private message if you want to talk about it privately, or one of the other leadership members would be happy to hear.

Is anybody on the call right now what to talk about a no vote or an abstention? No? Sounds like I hear a horse galloping away, so we'll just move on. As we mentioned at the beginning of the call, the runoff vote for secretariat to break the tie will commence at the close of this call today. If anybody has any problems with their voting, or the procedure, or receiving their ballot, please let me or staff know.

Moving on to six, new GTLDs. Reserving At Large and at hyphen large, we will continue to discuss the details of this and come back in the future. We also have under seven, a number of community, committee, and working group activity, summaries, and links. We have a recent report from Nom Com provided by Glenn, who also announced the actual selections.

And it was noted by some people that actual, several of the selections for board had their origin in the fellows. They started out as fellow, and they've moved their way up, and now they're nominated for hire office within ICANN.

Does anybody have any insight as to why that that might be the case? Maybe an explanation of what the fellowship is, as many people may have not come into the community though a fellowship. Nobody cares to comment on that? Okay. Hopefully soon, updates of the Nom Com, of the nominating committee will come from Louie [?]. Is Louie on the call? I do not see Louie's name on the list. That is okay.

We have from the future challenges working group, we have a paper that was submitted by Evan. Evan is not on the call. We have ATRT issues which are... Alan has been our contact for that, Alan Greenberg. There is a teleconference coming up on September 12th, and then there is an actual live meeting on September 19th in Washington DC.

Is that ATRT meeting in Washington DC, is that open to the public or is that just ATRT members? Maybe staff knows the answer to that question.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

This is Heidi. Garth, that's a very good question. I know Alan and Olivier will be there, so they'll definitely be keeping you up to date on the Skype chat, but I can [?] it's an open call.

GARTH BRUEN:

Yeah. That would be great to find out if it's... I'm assuming it's going to happen at the ICANN offices in DC, but maybe you don't even know that.

HEIDI ULLRICH: No I don't... I can find out. This is Heidi again. I can find out. I'm assuming so as well, but I'll check.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you very much. We also have a call coming up this week, September the 11th, for the FBSC. Is anybody on the call on that working group who cares to comment on that working group? And Eduardo has his hand up. Go ahead Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I'm in that working group, but I don't have anything to comment. I just wanted to say that I'm part of it, so we haven't met for two months now, so...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Garth, this is Heidi. May I just quickly respond to that please?

GARTH BRUEN: Please.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Silvia, if you can put the agenda for that call. This call, again, they're the group that does the coordination for the fast track and regular AC/SO requests that are done early every spring. So this call is going to be the result of the regular requests.

There will be a member from staff, Rob [?] who will be on that call announcing the results of the request. That's the main point of the call this week.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you very much. This is Garth again. 8.5, IGO, INGO PDP working group, Wednesday the 11th also. Is there anybody on that working group would care to comment. Eduardo has his hand up. Go ahead Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: No, I have a comment about what Heidi said. Heidi, I remember I saw a table, an Excel table, that said, these past weeks [?]... is that what that meeting is going to be about [?]

HEIDI ULLRICH: Eduardo, this is Heidi. I believe what you may have seen was the result of the fast track, which was announced, I believe, in June, May or June. So I don't know whether the results of the regular requests, that would be after the first four months of the fiscal year, if [?] have been publically announced yet. I think they're just now announcing them by being on the various ACSO calls, and that's what this process is.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you very much. So back to the other item. Is anybody on that working group, the IGO INGO PDP? No? All right we'll move on. Earlier today, there was an IRTT call. Is anybody from the region on that group? There was also a TTF call earlier today.

GORDON CHILLCOTT: This is Gordon Chillcott.

GARTH BRUEN: Yes Gordon Chillcott, please.

GORDON CHILLCOTT: Actually there was two of us on that call today. Today's call was a trial, and I use that in [?] terms. We're testing... We've been testing conferencing tools now for about a month. And each one of these tests is one call. Our regular meeting is next Monday on the 16th.

And today's test was, as I put it, a trial. Anyway, that's... A more complete report will follow.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. This is Garth. Gordon, maybe you can just tell everybody what those two groups cover, just so everybody is up to date.

GORDON CHILLCOTT: Two groups? What we're attempting to do, we spoke about, a while ago, about testing Lucid, which is a conferencing tool where you're

using regularly on Technology Taskforce. And a number of people have asked us what other conferencing tools we were testing.

Which got us to thinking, and so far we've been making up a list and testing newer ones as they come into view. For me, it also coincides with some similar work that is going on inside my ALS, but that is another issue. So what we do, we select a conference tool and test it, and this is usually not on the same day as our regularly scheduled meeting, which is rather full of other agenda items.

I suspect there will be another conferencing tool test is on the 23rd, but I'm not certain right now.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Thank you very much. This is Garth again. That's an excellent summary. Also before you go ahead Gordon, under 8.8, there was a comment you made about registrant rights and responsibilities in terms of directing to people the proper authority, in terms of resellers and registrars. And I was wondering if you just had a moment to share that comment with the region so everybody could know what you were talking about.

GORDON CHILLCOTT:

Thank you Garth. Gordon again. I think I might have been a wee bit incoherent in my comment as well. This matter went out to my ALS, and I got any number of responses back because it hit a pain point in some of my members. Difficulties that they have had with resellers.

And a lot of them thought that, “Gee here is something that I can actually read and work on.”

That was the first and most [?] note. The second note was, why hasn't anybody told us? And it boils down to the fact that, even in my rather tangible community, not everybody has a strong feeling for what ICANN is, or even if it's there. The fact that there is nothing in at least three of the reseller's sites that I was directed to look at, that suggests ICANN has anything to do with what they're looking, rather bothered me and it bothered them as well.

It's fine to have the tools available to make your concerns known to ICANN, and that's a rather good page, but it's another thing to let people know that they are there, and that's actually what I was trying to get at and I want to thank [?] now for bringing my attention that I haven't voiced that concern terribly well.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. All right. I'd be happy to work on maybe a really clear statement of that that we can put into the chat, or the next call, later so that everybody can benefit from that. Thank you very much. Okay. So anybody else who is on a working group, or any other kind of committee, wants to share or report with the group once a month, this is where we do it. You can forward the item to me, or you can just tell me that you need to discuss something on the call and we'll add a slot for you. Thank you very much.

Moving on to the At Large Advisory committee issues. We have a number of items. One is a call for volunteers for the new forum GNSO

metric and reporting working group. Is there anybody on the call who is on that committee and wants to comment about it? No. Okay.

ALAC recently voted on a statement on the community for the priority evaluation guidelines update from ICANN. Tom you have your hand up, please go ahead.

THOMAS LOWENHAUPT: Yes. I just want to mention that I volunteered for that committee, the metrics committee, and I believe I'm on it and that's all I know. So I'll follow up on it and hopefully [?]

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you very much. This is Garth again. There was also a voting statement to explore the draft next generation gTLD directory services model. Does anybody from ALAC or any other group wish to comment on that? No? Okay.

There were a couple of other items that did not make it onto the agenda, they got scrubbed somehow. One of them is the issue of singular versus plural, potentially confusing strings within the new gTLDs. There has been a lot of discussion back and forth about that.

Does anybody on the call wish to summarize or bring up an issue that concerns them about it? No? Okay. I think that Alan was definitely part of some of that discussion and maybe when he is on the call next time we can... Wait. We have people with their hands up. Tom is first and then Alan. Go ahead Tom.

THOMAS LOWENHAUPT: Yes. I read over the report on this, and I guess I sort of [?] that the TLD realm, that there was some sense to the idea of different singular [?]... But it didn't seem to apply... In New York here, I've been thinking [?] ...singular/plural in terms of library [?]

And it didn't seem to apply to the second level, logically [?]... And not that I totally agree with the top level singularity, or different [?] ...that logic didn't seem to apply to the second level [?]

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you. Alan you're next please.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Yeah I was the one who raised this this time around. First of all, I believe that the standards that both the evaluation committee used, and the board new GTLD committee used, when deciding to essentially ratify the fact that they are different, is they were using purely what I would call string matching criteria.

That is, do they look almost the same, an animate thing recognizing patterns. And I think that completely ignores the issue of perception. And the example I gave is, if you found something of interest whether it was a site or reviews on Hilton dot hotel, would you remember four months later it was really Hilton dot hotel or dot hotels?

The two are roughly equivalent. So I believe there is a real user issue of being misguided by these domain names. And in a normal world, I would say that the issue is closed to late. However, the board is going to be, or the new gTLD committee, is going to have to look at the issue

specifically of dot calm and dot cam, where we have two different evaluations for objections in the opposite direction to the same strings.

There are also a number of objections that have been settled before and against plurals being in the singular. And I believe the board is going to have to look at it again. And if so, I think the ALAC should try and provide some advice.

GARTH BRUEN:

This is Garth. I would tend to agree with you. I think that this is so dangerous territory, and I'm with you on this. Does anybody else have comments or concerns about that particular issue? Now Alan, now that you're back on the call, we had a discussion earlier about potentially reserving At Large related strings within the new gTLDs, making those special use or reserved strings.

And we were wondering if you had any idea of what the process or procedure is for doing that, for getting them on the list?

ALAN GREENBERG:

Are you talking about at the second level, at the first level?

GARTH BRUEN:

At the first level for – so we can have At Large dot whatever reserved.

ALAN GREENBERG:

But at the first level, so we're talking about future rounds.

GARTH BRUEN: No, I'm sorry. I mean second level. I mean, the actual – an actual domain name, not TLD domain name.

ALAN GREENBERG: That's one that I believe the ship has sailed on. If the GAC were going to come out and say, the board would have to consider it just so that they are with Red Cross, and IOC, and IGOs, and things like that. I cannot see getting the amount of public support, public being different parts of ICANN and especially GAC and the board involved in that when they have chosen to reserve specific names already, but not the various derivations of them and permutations of them.

So my personal take is, it's far too late on that one. I can't see that one being reopened with enough of a ground swell from, or even support from particularly strong other players to do that at this point.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. This is Garth....

ALAN GREENBERG: ...push back on things like the Red Cross on the IGOs, which have strong government support. I can't see that happening, but we've certainly raised the issue. I wouldn't put a lot of hope that we would win on that one though.

GARTH BRUEN: Right. This is Garth again. I think that the feeling is that because of these particular strings we're talking about are part of, I guess, the ICANN chartered structure, that they would fall under the same category as ALAC, as RIPE, ERIN, ITF, that there might be a good reason to kind of just add them to the list. That we may want to do that in the future.

ALAN GREENBERG: The future for new TLDs, unless ICANN decides to protect a whole range of related names, which it hasn't... I mean, it's protected the names of the various constituent parts of ICANN, but not derivations of it, not strings contained within and those kinds of things. It can certainly be discussed in the next round, at this point, given that our general position is, let's not make changes unless there are real inconsistencies within the guidebook which lead to conflicts, and I believe the singular and plural is one of those.

And we have setup rules in essentially all of the string similarities, we setup rules which are conflicting within themselves within the applicant guidebook and therefore decisions will have to be taken. I can't see introducing brand new things at this point.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. I'm still going to go through the process and let's see what we can do.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm giving you an evaluation of whether I think if it can succeed, not that it shouldn't be taken up on principle.

GARTH BRUEN: Right. Understood. Thank you very much Alan. Going back down through our agenda, there was also one other item, I guess that was ALAC related business that I have put on there. It was that the dot less domains are not going to be allowed. That was definitely something and that has my approval.

Now while we're still on this agenda item, does anybody from ALAC have any business that they wish to bring up that wasn't on the agenda?

ALAN GREENBERG: I have one thing.

GARTH BRUEN: Please Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: A repeat call has just gone out for a GNSO working group where, in general, across the whole community, they got so little interest that they had to make a second call. And I would suggest that it's worth looking at. It has, unfortunately, amongst the most boring names they could imagine, and that's a working group of uniformity of reporting, which sounds as dull as anything.

The real thrust of it is, a bunch of years ago, when looking at abuse of domain names, one of the issues that came up, and it's come up within PDPs as well, is that it is very hard to draft really good policy when it's based on information which you don't have. And a lot of the complaints that come in about domain name usage, never get past registrars and registries.

And as a result, ICANN has no real data of which to understand what are the significant problems, what are the patterns, and how to go about getting data like that. And this is a working group, it's not a PDP, it might eventually go to a PDP, but it's a working group, I'm trying to understand what kind of data is out there, and what kind of data might be collected either voluntarily or perhaps not voluntarily.

To allow ICANN to track what's going on and set policy to prevent the various types of abuses that do occur with domain names. And it's really uncharted territory, and it could well be an interesting working group to participate in. There may well be significant push back from registrars and registries, or there may be some who are willing to cooperate and talk about it openly.

So if anyone is interested in those kind of subjects, then I would strongly suggest you volunteer.

GARTH BRUEN:

Alan, this is Garth. You just got your first new volunteer, that was an excellent summary. I had no idea that it was going to cover that kind of information...

ALAN GREENBERG: To be honest, exactly what it covers is going to depend on the group. There is some interesting territory out there which is unexplored. And it may end up being a dud, or it may end up being with something good coming out of this.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you very much.

ALAN GREENBERG: This by the way is not the working group, this is the drafting team drafting the charter, so this is the group to get into to try to make sure the working group will look at the right things.

GARTH BRUEN: Right. Okay. All right. Coming down to the end of the hour. I want to give anybody an opportunity on the call to bring up any other item that they are concerned about. I did list a recent article that was shared with At Large by Dev from LACRALO, about the great internet land grab, which I only had a chance to really skim over it before the call.

But it's in the *New Yorker* and it's linked within the agenda underneath any other business, and it's a good read.

ALAN GREENBERG: I presumed you talked about the election which should be starting almost momentarily?

GARTH BRUEN: Yes. That's going to be the next item. I want to make sure that everybody is ready with their vote, and I hope that everybody does participate. We had really good turnout for the ROP vote, and I was really happy to see everybody's participation there.

And I thank everybody for everybody's patience in kind of unwinding this situation from the tie, to the ROP issues, and I appreciate everybody's attention to it.

ALAN GREENBERG: And just to keep people up to date, the unaffiliated members did not have a vote on the new operating procedures because of a quirk in the procedures that is now fixed. But unaffiliated members will be voting amongst themselves, and their result will be cast as a single vote into the overall ALS vote.

So everyone, both ALS – well, not everyone. ALS representatives and unaffiliated members will be getting a ballot.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you very much everybody. If nobody has any other items, and I don't see any hands up, I will conclude the call and we can get right down to voting. Thank you very much everybody.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Hi all. This is Heidi. Garth, just really quickly. Alan and Garth... Alan we need the text for the exact question. And again, it's not immediately, it's going to be in about three hours. 23:59 UTC.

ALAN GREENBERG: In the ICANN world that's immediate.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Thanks everyone.

[Various people saying goodbye]

[END OF TRANSCRIPT]