
OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening everyone. This is the ALAC Executive Committee conference call on the Thursday, the 22nd of August 2013. The time is 14:03 UTC. And we're going to start with the roll call and apologies, if you would like to start Gisella please.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you Olivier. Gisella here. On today's call we have Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Evan Leibovitch, Carlton Samuels, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Alan Greenberg. Rinalia will hopefully be joining us shortly, and we have a tentative apology from Julie Hammer who may be able to join us for the second hour.

From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Matt Ashtaini, Julia Charvolen, and myself Gisella Gruber. And if I could also please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you. Over to you Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Gisella. Welcome everyone. I'm not sure if we have, not mention anyone who is on the call at the moment. I don't see other names on the Adobe Connect, but has anyone not been mentioned? No? Okay. So welcome everybody to this call.

Apologies for taking you out of your summer holiday which is the custom of many parts of the world at the moment. We're going to try

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

to make this one a little fast, although we do have a very full agenda today. So we'll immediately go over to the review of the action items from the 30th of July ExCom meeting, the last one that we had.

There are a number of them. Quite a few have actually been done. Let's see, how do we start? Let's go toward just the ones, as you notice, the ones that are not complete yet and see if we can get an update on the ones that are complete.

As far as the ones that are complete, I'll leave it to you to read through them on your own time. Silvia Vivanco is to inform the RALO offices that the ExCom encourages the discussion of the cross-cradle policy development work space during their next cross-RALO teleconference. Go ahead Silvia.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes. Today we have the cross-RALO teleconference. So I will really start with all of the RALO leaders.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Fantastic. I'll be on that call as well in case you do need to call for me to just explain where we should be going with that soon. Next is Tijani Ben Jemaa and Eduardo Diaz are to provide an update on the meeting strategy working group activities during the 27th of August ALAC call. I believe that's on the agenda. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. It's going to be when I prepare that ALAC agenda today. This is Heidi for the record.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you. Thanks Heidi. Next, Olivier is to work with the ALAC to decide whether Dev Anand Teelucksingh should be appointed chair of the ALAC sub-committee on outreach. That will also be on the ALAC's agenda. Next, Alan Greenberg is to complete required documents to allow the rules of procedure to be put in place.

Once that is close to complete, the chair will put out a call for members of the Board Members Selection Process Committee, the BMSPC. Great a new acronym. I know Alan has extremely busy until now and let's not put the pressure there is still time to move... Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: You can put pressure. What committee did you just say by the way?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: The Board Members Selection Process Committee, the BMSPC. That's the first time I hear of it.

ALAN GREENBERG: I think that is actually the correct name. I have... What is the status? We need to make a decision today on the email list, and there is only one document left that is the description on how we did the Board thing last time. I have a list of URLs that I have to assemble to a document.

I will be sending the list to Cheryl today to verify that they are the definitive ones. As soon as I get that back, I will cobble them into a document and that one will be ready to go out for a vote.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Alan, all in hand. Next Matt Ashtiani is to work with Dev Anand Teelucksingh and Olivier Crépin-Leblond on the development of an overall workspace for the collection of At Large action items. We've had a conference call a couple of days ago. We might or might not have one tonight.

The conference call we had, we experimented with several nesting and double nesting of pages to try and see if we can have a single page of action items. Our conclusions weren't that great for the time being. Still on hand, still ongoing and testing is going on to try and resolve this.

Any questions or comments on any of these action items or any of the closed action items which I did not read through?

Seeing no one put their hands up, let's move on to the next section of action items, and that is the Durban ALAC and At Large action items on the 14th and 19th of July. There are still quite a few there. I thought we would quickly go through these so as not to drop the ball. Remember we still have quite a few to complete here.

On the ALAC and regional leadership, Olivier is to follow up with Sally Costerton and inform her that the concept of the public interest is on the agenda of ATLAS 2. I have a conference call tomorrow, Friday, with Sally Costerton. Also Olivier is to request that ICANN senior staff

provide additional information to clarify the status of Sally Costerton's initiative on the further investigation of the concept of the public interest.

That again will be discussed tomorrow in the call with her. Olivier is to engage with other AC and SO chairs about the possibility of cross-community activity regarding the definition of public interest. I was going to pursue this after speaking to Sally Costerton and bring some clarity on this.

Holly Raiche, Rinalia Abdul Rahim, Salanieta Tamanikawaimaro, and Wolf Ludwig are to watch the situation of the concept of the public interest and alert the ALAC if further action is necessary in this field. Any thoughts on this? Feedback? I'll continue then. On the ALAC and regional leadership, section session, on the metrics update, Gisella is to send a Doodle to coordinate with Cheryl and determine times for the metrics working group teleconferences.

Gisella is to also ensure that the ALAC is prepared to capture the metrics from the time that the revised rules of procedure go live, for initial reporting at the Singapore meeting. Gisella, Cheryl, any update on this?

GISELLA GRUBER:

Gisella here. I'll work with Cheryl over the next couple of days. I've just been firing away at getting the hand, sorting out, and that's next on the to do list. So we'll have a call early September, when everyone gets back from holiday.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Fantastic. Thank you Gisella. I heard a few peeps from Cheryl in the background at some point.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yes. I was just saying, not done yet, still in progress. I'm happy with September as well.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Super. At Large regulatory issues. Carlton Samuel is to ensure that the regulatory issues working group that will prepare a response to the expert working group that addresses the promises of its development, but also places it in context of the current status of WHOIS. Any news on this?

I must say I'm kind of discovering this one because I wasn't part of that meeting. Carlton, would you care to enlighten us please?

CARLTON SAMUELS: This is Carlton for the record. We've been having a through and through on the list. We haven't really put together a formal response yet. Holly is going to lead with my help, we are... Although we have some time, because the EWG has extended the time for accepting comments until the 10th of September.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. That provides a bit more time then. Good. Thank you Carlton. Next is the ALAC executive meeting and regional...

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier this is Alan.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Oh Alan, please go ahead. Sorry, I didn't see your hand. Now I see it.

ALAN GREENBERG: That's because I'm invisible. With regard to the expert working group comment, I'm not part of that group either, nor have I been a part of the formal discussions within ALAC or informal discussions. I certainly have strong reservations about the details in the expert working group board, although I strongly support a feel good statement saying, "The ALAC supports continuing discussion and working towards some answer."

I would have a problem personally endorsing the specifics of what is there given the possible difficulty of any implementation coming anywhere close to what they're saying, and meeting a variety of needs including privacy and such around the world. Obviously the statement doesn't have to... I don't have to support everything the ALAC says, but I just wanted to serve notice that I for one have significant problems with some, endorsing the specifics in that report.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you very much Alan. Carlton actually, when do you think a first draft could be put together? Or are you putting together a statement is necessary?

CARLTON SAMUELS: No. I don't think a statement is necessary. I was overruled about that. I will get with Holly and find out when she thinks it's going to be. If it's going to be under her hand. The discussions on the list did note Alan's statement that we were hoping to have the particulars for those two, exactly what areas he was uncomfortable.

So those will be taken into consideration in some way. I don't believe the statement we have is going to be gung-ho, rah, rah kind of statement. As I said, in the early discussions, because I am part of the group, while I could participate in discussion, I wish not to be the primary [?].

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah that's understood Carlton, thank you. I think that is often the case where those who are part of the working group that has been asking for comments from the rest of the ALAC. So that's well understood. Okay. Let's move on. I see this is in hand. If you could just try and push all of those on the list to try and get something out soon.

I'm always weary of the time ticking and then people turning up at the eleventh hour with brand new revelations and unfortunately very little time to integrate their point of view in a final statement, which is often what we are faced with. Let's move on.

Passing over all of the action items which were completed, going all the way down to the ALAC executive meeting -- I thought it was Executive Committee meeting -- and regional leaders meeting with the ASO

leadership. There we have two action items which are related to the calendar of the RIR meetings with Gisella needing to create a calendar with all of the RIR meetings.

We've been working with Gisella. I understand there is a technical problem of some sort. Gisella could you enlighten us please?

GISELLA GRUBER:

Yes. Gisella here Olivier. I entered all the September meetings to give you an overview of what the calendar would look like once all of these have been entered, because there a quite a few – and I'm not sure all of them are relevant. Unfortunately when doing so, having completed it, it seems to me that half the meetings are not showing on the calendar, which means I have to do it. That will be redone over the next 48 hours.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Are you saying they are not transferring automatically?

GISELLA GRUBER:

Automatically, no. Each and every entry has to be done manually.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

I thought that the whole calendar could be downloaded in one go as an ICS file or something. Very strange. It was, I believe... Who was it that told us of this calendar? Was it [?] who told us about this calendar? Maybe you should ask him whether there is a way to import it in an easier fashion.

We'll follow up offline. Next is the APRALO discussion. There is only one thing on there. Silvia Vivanco is to organize an APRALO webinar of the outcome of the meeting strategy working group and the community is to provide feedback. Other RALOs are made to be [informed] of this webinar for their own use. Any follow up on this Silvia?

SILVIA VIVANCO:

The meeting strategy working group was working on the report. I think it will be finished in September, and once that is done I will organize the webinar.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Fantastic. Thank you Silvia. Next moving down, the ALAC and NCSIG. There is one action item remaining. Olivier is to follow up with Wolfgang [?] on the civil society in [Berlin] in ICANN. I did see Wolfgang over the summer at the European Summer School on Internet Governance. Unfortunately we did not have any time to discuss this face to face because we were just so busy with other things.

I think this is an ongoing thing, and we'll probably be able to follow up in the next few months. Any questions or comments? Nope. Let's move on then. The regional leadership meeting is not with us. AFRALO no. RALO region leadership, no. The wrap up meeting, here we go. Dev Anand Teelucksingh is to be considered to replace Cheryl Langdon-Orr, who is the current interim chair of the ALAC sub-committee on outreach. Alan Greenberg is to follow up on options for carrying out votes during ICANN meetings.

First, Dev I believe that we will be having a discussion on the next ALAC call.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Olivier this is Heidi.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: My recollection was that we were going to have on the capacity building working group. Should I add both? Outreach sub-committee as well as the capacity building working group?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That's correct yes.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: You can do it on that as well. The thing is, it really is the ALAC can petition the next person.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes. Thank you. Tijani speaking. Olivier I think we already discussed the issue of the outreach working group. I think that under the proposal of Cheryl, we agree that Dev take over the leadership of this working group.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Tijani. I think that we agree as ExCom. I'm not sure that we actually agreed as the ALAC. We need to bring it to the ALAC for discussion. So make a proposal to the overall ALAC and then I guess I can make a consensus call on whether anyone objects, and if no one objects then we can proceed forward.

Just to expedite matters and I guess that Dev will have a lot of work on his hands if he starts up with that. Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm having some difficulty recalling exactly what that action might have – with my name in it is about. I suspect it's not quite worded properly because we know how to carry a [both] stream meetings.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Alan. I think it was to do with the fact that we took so much time on the votes during the wrap up, that you were going to be tasked

with trying to provide us with clear options on how to carry out votes when you had people that were not in the room, and people that were, if you recall, several of our members were not in the room itself.

So Matt was trying to get their vote by Skype, etcetera, etcetera.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. I think that was for rules under our new rules of procedure, what are the options.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That is correct yes.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Then that I can do. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Alan. Any other comments or questions?

ALAN GREENBERG: If the AI can be modified to add under our new rules and procedure, that would make me not ask this question a third time because I think I already asked it once.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Alan. Whoever is in charge of the Wiki could you please make that change?

MATT ASHTIANI: This is Matt. Not a problem.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Matt. I see Cheryl Langdon-Orr next.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you. Cheryl for the record. I've been busy [targeting] and none of it is showing up so I'll just say what I was going to say. Yes I keep making [?] procedures so it can be a little bit more streamlined on the [voting] is good. Read the outreach and capacity building chairing today, which as you know I'm whole heartedly supportive of.

There is, especially in the next part, still a couple of action items that is on the current chair of capacity building working group. I think it's wise to have the ALAC just have a single – possibly two sub-sets of discussion on the agenda so that they can endorse that.

But it's probably going to be more useful if instead of waiting for an email to be sent to the current chair even though there was very small discussion was really pro forma and needs to be done. It hasn't been done yet. It might worth staff taking over that.

If the chair can't do it, staff might have to do in the wrapping up of things listed there and how [?] where they can get the response from the list that I expect anything out of affirmation that if you are going to make the change [?] I think is quite reasonable, if you're going to pick

up a couple of VAs since the working group meeting in the [?] here.
Just [?] list which I seen in here.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Cheryl. I guess that's a very valid point with regards to things moving forward. Staff, would you be able to follow up? Or have you followed up with the current chair at the moment?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. Yes we have and unfortunately no response at the moment.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you. In which case, I guess because she has announced her resignation during the meeting I believe, that is on record. I guess we can therefore move forward. I guess under the guise of the minutes of the meeting, this can be sent over to the mailing list. All on the mailing list are aware of what's going on.

Gisella, you might need to mute yourself. Thank you. [Laughs] Okay. Let's move on. Alan your hand is still up.

ALAN GREENBERG: No it isn't. [Laughs]

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It's still up with me at the moment.

ALAN GREENBERG: I know. If I can get my cursor over to the little thing I can put it out.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Fantastic. Thank you. All right let's move on then. There seems to be a meeting which said David Olive on it. I guess the meeting with David Olive. Heidi and Gisella are to organize a webinar for the At Large on the TLD market space. Any news on this Heidi? I think we said sometime in September.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. We're still able to develop that. But if I could just ask for some more direction on what exactly that means, TLD market place. What kind of issues would you like to be discussed on that so I can identify some speakers please?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Heidi. Well for some of us, this is an oxymoron. There is no such thing as a gTLD market place, but for others there is such a thing which is the business side of gTLDs. At least that is how I would describe it. Rinalia mentions on the chat that there was a briefing that was made to the GAC and that we wanted the same presentation.

I'm not quite sure who had made that presentation whether it came from David's office or whether it was someone else who came up with the presentation. You'll probably will have to check with David. I know it's here. It's an external party says Rinalia on the chat.

Now there is a presentation which I have followed actually from Dirk [?] from dot Berlin who has presented something around to quite a few people in ICANN meetings as well. It's quite a fun presentation to... It's pretty much up to date as well. I'm not sure that was the presentation that was targeted or not.

Probably will have to check that. Rinalia said, "It's not the same one as Dirk's." Okay. Any other thoughts on this? That's all the information I have. Okay. So Heidi will follow up with GAC support. Fantastic. Thank you.

Discussion with ICANN Board members. Once the FY 14 budget is approved, the ALAC is to send a note to the Board explaining the plans for the summit as well as set out the excitement and expectations of the ALAC on holding their second summit. It's extremely exciting, but I'm not quite sure if the FY 14 budget has been approved yet.

Heidi would you please enlighten us on this?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

This is Heidi. Thank you Olivier. The Board will be approving the budget today. I'm not sure exactly what time. I can get back to you in just one moment. But it is today.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

We've waited a few months, I'm not sure we need to know the exact time and date. Okay, perfect, thank you. Once this is done we'll be able to show our excitement. Next, Cheryl is to lead the creation of a ccNSO At Large taskforce to prepare the ccNSO ALAC meeting in Buenos Aries.

That's a very important thing. In fact, we'll be discussing this shortly later on during this ExCom call.

After that, a call to be sent out to the mailing list asking for volunteers for the ALAC ccNSO meeting prep taskforce for Buenos Aries. That all comes together. So these are all the current action items. I see Cheryl with her hand up. Cheryl you have the floor.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you. Cheryl for the record. I actually was... Discussed this with Heidi briefly via email, when we get to talking about the Buenos Aries, other things in there [?] calendar, that last action item, I think that ALAC should consider altering or moving, and I'm happy to see to that, item now rather than later.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: The last action item we're moving.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Joint list was it?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Calling for volunteers. I think you should be appointing people and I'll explain why. I'm happy to talk to that now or later.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: No, no. We'll find out in a moment. Let's just wait in anticipation and first go through the policy advice development page, which I invite you all to go through. Hopefully it will take less than 15 minutes, although there are a lot of points which we've made recently.

Thanks to all of the pen holders on the recently adopted ALAC statements. We have the statements or endorsements currently being developed with the first one being the community, priority, evaluation update from ICANN. I'm not quite sure where we are now on this because I needed some details and so on and tasked Rianalia to move forward with drafting the first draft.

Rianalia could you please enlighten us? I'm not quite sure if Rianalia is on the call or whether she is just on the chat. We can't hear you at the moment.

RIANALIA ABDUL RAHIM: I'm sorry. Can you just repeat what you just said?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes. Welcome Rianalia. The At Large community priority evaluation update from the ICANN workspace. This effectively is the recent discussions which you've had with Jean-Jacques Subrenat, and Carlton, and other people. I believe that a statement coming from us, which I've asked you in an earlier email, if you could please hold the pen on.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Yeah. This is Rianalia. I'll try to do a draft and send it to you, over to Matt.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you. This I guess is an important thing, you've noticed the reply we've received from ICANN staff that they have made a mistake, so we do have until the 6th of September. That means that we'll be able to submit a statement just in time.

Proposal to... Yes, go ahead Rinalia.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: For this statement, the community priority evaluation panel, the economist intelligence unit has prepared a document with the evaluation guidelines and they want input on that. I was wondering if Matt could pick up that document and put it on the Wiki page, because I would imagine that the community might want to comment on the specifics of the guidelines as well.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes Rinalia, you're absolutely right. I just opened the page and it certainly looks a little bit bare. Matt you'll have to fill this one up and have the link to the different documents which are under discussion and of course the link to the community evaluation panel space which is on the new gTLD working group. I see Heidi has put her hand up. Heidi you have the floor.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes Oliver thank you. This is Heidi for the record. On the issue of the CCD and the [?] I did see your notes in response to Christine [?] regarding the extension of the dates, the closing of the request for comments dates. But I didn't see any comment about the issue that Jean-Jacques brought up about the CIU haven been chosen without perhaps [?] etcetera, etcetera.

Would you like me to follow up on that issue?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes please Heidi, that would be great. I haven't sent that email, the request regarding Jean-Jacques question. I had not sent it through the same channel, under the separate channel that we can ask for clarification on this.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you. Okay. The next one is the proposal to mitigate name condition risks. The ALAC is currently... Well, Julie Hammer is holding the pen to draft a statement at the moment, which is already on the Wiki with a second version already. I think that will soon be ready for a vote.

I believe the call for comments has closed yesterday, so the vote announcement is... Wow, that was a very short call for comments [laughs]. The vote will start today, is that correct? Julie.

JULIE HAMMER: Hi. Yes. If you all are happy with those couple of extra sentences, I post that as the final version and the vote can go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes thank you Julie. I haven't seen anyone go against any of those recommendations so far. I see Matt Ashtiani.

MATT ASHTIANI: Hi. This is Matt Ashtiani for the record. Julie, I actually posted what you sent on the email on the website. So if this is what you already sent out, you don't need to post it.

JULIE HAMMER: Thank you Matt. That's right.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much Matt and thank you Julie for this statement. This certainly is a follow up to the name condition risks, and particularly important thing. Let's move to the next one, the right protection mechanism RTM requirements. Any thoughts actually on this? I open the floor because we haven't allocated it to anyone or no one has stepped forward so far.

I also have to ask Alan if he knows anything about this since this is a GNSO related thing. I see suddenly quite a few people with their hands

up. Let's first start with Carlton and then Evan. Carlton go ahead. You might be muted sir.

CARLTON SAMUELS: This is Carlton. This Carlton for the record. With regard to the RPM, I think on the list I did see something from [Hong] suggesting that she develop a statement for the ALAC. As I recall, I agreed that this is probably a good suggestion, I didn't follow through on it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you Carlton. Evan Leibovitch.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Thanks Olivier. This is Evan. I just wanted to be reminded here of having ALAC getting involved in mission creep, in the sense that we can't just knee jerk every time something comes up. If there is an end user component of the RPM discussion, that has an effect on us and that requires us to get involved.

What I find very often is that there is a lot of things like this that turn within the GNSO that are of interest with the commercial bodies, but don't necessarily have an end user impact. We need to be cognizant of that and not necessarily feel the need to instinctively reply any time something comes up.

If there is an end user component of this, we need to analyze it and respond. But I don't think we need to, in all cases... We have something come up on the mailing list recently that seem to be – about the stream

contention issues. It might good for our information, but we don't necessarily have to respond to everything.

Especially to things that we can analyze that don't necessarily have an end user interest component. Thanks.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Evan. Next is Alan Greenberg.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. My recollection is that [Hong] posted a statement saying that she was pleased that the trademark clearing house now has some mandate to, or requirement to support variance. The wording is sort of vague but she thought it was a lot clearer than I personally did.

I think that was going to be the substance since we had made so many statements on variance so strongly with regard to the trademark clearing house. I think it's not inappropriate for us to say thank you or something like that. I believe that was the context in which [Hong] said she would draft something.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Just for the record, on the stream confusion issue that I posted something on, it was never posted as something the ALAC needs to get

concerned about. It was something of interest regarding the new gTLD program that I thought people wanted to be alerted to.

If people don't want that kind of thing posted to the ALAC list, I'll cease and desist.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much Alan. Even you still have your hand up. Okay. So I hear two points of view here that some believe we should have a statement on this, and some believe we shouldn't have a statement on this. I'm in two minds as well I guess.

I would tend to agree with Evan in some way that we are just having so many statements come out at the moment, we certainly are writing a fair share of them, drafting them and so on. I just wonder whether there are times where you shouldn't just take a little breather.

I'm certainly surprised to see so many people eager to push more statements through. Perhaps it's the time of the year. I'm just a little concerned that we will end up with just a, "Oh yes, plus one," type scenario when we've moved forward on it. I just wonder, Rinalia, Tijani, what's your thought on this?

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: This is Rinalia. I'll go first if Tijani doesn't mind. I've actually read through all of the documents of the revised rights protection mechanism, primarily because I was looking for the treatment on IDN. I don't know how [Hong] feels about it for the Chinese language, but I think from the Arabic languages, there might be some issues.

I'm currently seeking clarity from staff... Can you hear me?

ALAN GREENBERG: I can hear you.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Hello?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yup.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: I've been seeking clarity from staff, and the answers that I'm getting are not providing...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Can you hear me?

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Who is that? Is that you Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I'm sorry. I think I might have dropped off for a second. I'm not quite sure.

ALAN GREENBERG: I can hear you now.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Sorry about this. I haven't heard you Rinalia. I apologize.

RIANLIA ABDUL RAHIM: Okay. Quick summary is that I've reviewed all of the documents on the revised rights protection mechanism, including the technical specifications. I think there may be some issues related to variant, but I am seeking confirmation. Is there are no issues, I think it will be okay if we don't issue a statement, but if someone wants to draft a thank you, I don't think that's a problem.

If they've been proved on the variance stuff. But if there are still some variance issues that needs to be flagged then I think we do need to provide a substantive input. I'm still consulting on that front. If I confirm that there are some issues that we need to flag, I'll come back to the ALAC.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you very much Rinalia. Please check and I'll ask staff to check with [Hong] as well, since [Hong] had flagged this and see between the two of you basically, Rinalia and [Hong] whether you wish to move forward.

I'm certainly not going to block any spontaneous statement that comes out, except of course if there is no consensus about the statement in the ALAC. It's just I do have concerns about the volume of statements

that we're having coming out. Certainly I hope this will just not divert our scarce resources away from our coalition, as Evan has very well mentioned.

Let's move on. We've already spent a lot of time on this. The next one is the explore the draft next generation gTLD directory services model. The ALAC is considering drafting a statement on this. That's pretty much the expert working group. I think we've touched on that enough.

Let's move to the next one. Of course, for the record, we're just waiting for Carlton to follow up on this. Carlton, I see your hand is up. Please go ahead.

CARLTON SAMUELS:

Thank you. This is Carlton for the record. I just want to caution something. We've issued one sentence statements that, to my mind, weren't worth a hill of beans. I think with the controversy that has surrounded the variance and all of these other issues surrounding IDNs, I'm no expert, but I read them closely and the rationale behind having a statement saying we are at least satisfied with some of this, I think in this case is well proposed.

So I'm just cautioning we don't stand in the way of putting that on the record. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Okay. Thank you Carlton, well noted. I saw Tijani had put his hand up slightly earlier. I'm not sure, Tijani did you wish to speak?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No. I put that hand... Normally I have to give you my point of view, but you forgot about me. It's not a problem. I just wanted to say that I agree with Evan, but I would not be against a statement [?] or any other member who would like to write a statement if that is really a consistent content that you can [?]. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Tijani. I would never dare to forget about you for the record [laughs]. Next, let's move to the draft – sorry the statement on WTIT outcomes. That's one thing where the ALAC is drafting a statement and that really, that's Olivier having to draft a statement. This one is still pending.

Somehow it is old news, but I still would like to keep this on there because there will probably come a time where we need to come up with – when we'll have a better idea of the outcomes are. As you know, ICANN has been quite involved with some of the follow up and there are some changes within the ICANN for the work that they are doing on this.

It's an ongoing story. Currently open public comments. There are two of them. The locking of domain names subject to UDRP proceedings, policy development process recommendations for Board consideration. The period closes tomorrow. There will be no statement on this. The GNSO structure's charter amendment process also no statement on this as well.

Finally, the new At Large policy development early engagement work space has been created. I invite you all to have a look at it. That provides us with an idea of new things that are going to come up. New public comment periods that will come up. I hope that Matt will be able to keep it up to date because the part which is on the overall ICANN website is also sometimes up to date and sometimes not up to date.

But hopefully we can find up from that when we have a lot of work, which is probably pretty much every day. Let's move on to the next thing. The selection of the Board member. First I see Cheryl Langdon-Orr having put her hand up. I'm not sure whether it was for the selection of the Board member or before that. Cheryl you have the floor.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thank you. It was for that. I was going to mention this later but I know that it's an item that is listed in the early engagement work space. I thought Matt might find it useful to realize that the ccNSO listed ones there, the ones that [?] which is the ccTLD policy development process. That really is the same action item, the same matter as the one listed for August.

So there is really only one there in the ccNSO. In fact, by close of the 23rd of August your time, which is obviously tomorrow for you guys, that will be [stated promptly] end will be finalized by the ccNSO counsel and will be transmitted to the Board.

So there is not likely to be any further engagement with the community and ALAC. So that can probably drop off and resolved 24 hours hence. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Cheryl. Perhaps we should call it At Large Policy Development Late Engagement work space. But let's just delete those two in the meantime. Thanks for the update on this. Okay. Let's go to the next thing. The At Large selection of the Board member. So there are a number of [next tests] which need to be put together since as we know the whole process of reviewing the work, reviewing the process, and getting volunteers to be in the different committees, and so on takes some time.

I was going to call upon Alan to be able to take us through the process as it works with a new ROPs of course in place and with the old process being able to interface with the new process. Alan you have the floor.

ALAN GREENBERG: My understanding that our intent was to purely use the new process and not try to mix and match. We should be in a position to start that within – less than under two weeks I would think, given that we need two votes first, but one of them hopefully will be ready to go by the end of this meeting and the other one shortly afterwards.

The first step is to name the committee, whose name I can't remember but who you referenced before, which is supposed to put together, among other things, a timeline for the election. In parallel or following

that, you need to call for members of the... I don't remember exactly how the first committee is put together, it's documented but I can't remember.

The second committee very much, which is the Board member evaluation committee under some name because we change the letters again I believe. That one I believe has two reps per region, and a chair that is either selected, I believe the chair is selected by the ALAC. That group needs to start putting together, or modifying if necessary the expression of interest statement and mapping out exactly how they're going to do their evaluation. Last time the group had a rather complex evaluation process but well documented, which is the only reason why I know about it.

So there is a lot to be done but most of it is mapped out. It's going to be crucial to put at least some people on both of those committees who not only can read the instructions but understand what is needed to make sure that there is no guarantee that all of the details are there. Some things were omitted last time that never got done.

For instance, the process committee is supposed to identify a random selection technique should one be needed. I don't think that was ever done ahead of time. There is a number of aspects like that. I'm not quite sure what more you want from me at this point.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Alan. Well really I think the roadmap is what is important since we do need to start building the way forward. I think that the first committee you were referring to was the Board Member

Selection Process Committee, the BMSPC, and certainly the next committee is the Board Candidate Evaluation Committee, the BCEC...

ALAN GREENBERG: There is no reason that they can't be created in parallel, and in fact there should be no overlap between them. I believe it may be necessary to create them in parallel to make sure people identify themselves or identify for the right group. But that's up to you when that process gets going.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It's Olivier speaking. So Alan, on the first pass, if I remember correctly, there were people who could be members of both the design team and also the other committee, the Candidate Evaluation Committee. Are there anything that will say that you're not?

ALAN GREENBERG: I don't believe there is any prohibition, in fact I think Cheryl was part of both last time...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Count all the people who were, yes there can be overlap.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. So we need to basically move forward with the first thing being the BMSPC – oh it is. The BMSPC.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. In theory, I presume you could likely call for members to start the organizing before the new rules are in place, but be squeaky clean so that no one objects when the call was made and the rules weren't in effect. We should only have less than two weeks to go and I would wait that time and make it squeaky clean.

But we do have to have the process completed, if I remember correctly, by the end of April, which is a by-law mandate. So that still gives us a fair number of months.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Fine. I see agreement from Tijani on this. So the BMSPC could be called for and discussed at the ALAC meeting as a heads up, which I believe is somewhere on the agenda. Heidi would you be able to enlighten me on this please?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm sorry. Could you repeat the question?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: The BMSPC could be called for and discussed at the ALAC meeting, at the next ALAC meeting just as a heads up of what's coming up soon.

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier, I wouldn't use the term called for if the rules are not in place, but there is no reason not to discuss it and give people a heads up that

it's coming real soon, and they should start thinking about how they want to handle that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah...

ALAN GREENBERG: I believe the RALOs are going to have to act to name if not the process committee than the validation committee. That's my recollection, I can't recall for sure, but I believe the RALOs will have to act. That process will take time, and there is certainly no reason not to talk about it, and talk about it in some detail at the ALAC meeting.

The rules may not be in place but we know what they are.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you very much Alan. Yes Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. Is there an action item for this particular issue?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: There is not an action item, it's just put it into the ALAC agenda. The next ALAC call agenda.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Thank you, I'll add that. In fact, 10 to 15 minutes of that do you think?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I would say so please yes.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I must say, we all have to do some reading beforehand as well because there will be likely be a lot of questions and not many answers at this point in time. At least this is now in the back of our head and we can start moving on this. Certainly I would agree with the fact that the rules and procedures would have to be fully agreed to before we move forward, since I recall in the last run the big questions that were asked and the dissent that was raised about several of the rules, etcetera, due to people who were unhappy with the selection process.

ALAN GREENBERG: And it's going to happy again.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yup.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Exactly. Cheryl Langdon-Orr, you have the floor.

ALAN GREENBERG: If I may interrupt for a moment please?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Sure.

ALAN GREENBERG: It's Alan. I have to leave this call in two minutes and I'll be back sometime around 15, 20 past the hour, I hope. There is no item on the agenda, as I see it, to agree on the questions I asked about email lists. So if someone can add that under any other business, and we'll talk about it when I get back I guess.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay Alan. Thank you. Cheryl you have the floor.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah. I just wanted to suggest that one way forward with how to deal with this in the ALAC meetings so it's not going to degenerate and perhaps get people a little confused, I would suggest before the rules of procedure are finalized because I do agree you need those bolted down, which is very soon going to happen, before you get into too much minuet.

You could put forward in the discussion with the ALAC the priority for the regions to begin thinking about it to appointees, and the importance of that, and thinking in parallel from an ALAC perspective who they

want. It's an ALAC appointment for the first of the committees, and their regional appointees, but it's still an ALAC committee which is the second of the two.

More of the personnel, looking for the right people, telling them how demanding the task will be and how undemanding the first one will be because the first one is a very short term, once it's done than it's over type activity. But still not deal with until the rules of procedure are done.

The RALOs are going to take some time, I would think, to have their – the appropriate people put forward to the ALAC for endorsement and to do that with that second committee because it is a very demanding task and you certainly need people who are going to be willing to operate appropriately within the confidentially rules.

Just want to do a discussion only in a heads up exercise rather than being too meaningful.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you Cheryl. Would you be able to share this and share the an idea of the work load required with the ALAC...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Be delighted to do so. Yes.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Also see... I'll try and see if there are any other members of the BMSPC, if they could share briefly their point of view of the amount of work that is required. I guess maybe this time around will be a little easier, or should be a little easier by having those people who were aware of the original BCC, being able to have a real good idea of how much work it needed and being able to rely this back to the region.

I will call for them to...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Olivier, one of the points that we need to make with the ALAC so that they are aware who they should be endorsing, and the types of people – and the types of insurances – they need from the people of the regions is that half of the BMSPC last time never turned up enough, therefore they had no frigging idea how much work there is.

You had an effective committee of five, not ten, and it was appalling. The regions need to find decent people to put in this time.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Maybe then I want to call someone at random because they might tell me, "Oh it was actually quite a breeze." [Laughter] Okay. We've spent much time on this. Certainly. Okay. So we're all aware on this. That's moving forward, let's go to the next thing, which is the ALAC ccNSO meeting prep taskforce, item number five on our agenda.

We have five minutes to treat this. Cheryl you have the floor.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Five minutes for it? Wow okay.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: You might need more or less depending on how much you expand on this, but we all know that we're going to...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Hopefully I want your need five minutes. First of all, I note from the action items that it seems to be a call for volunteers... My question is really why? It's really, I think, appropriate for the ALAC to appoint. There seems to be a very small committee, needs to have [two] liaisons, Ron and myself. It needs to have one or two staff members, it might be Bart and Gabby, it just might be Bart, or it just might be Gabby, and Heidi or whoever she decides.

It needs to have that staff input with a direct relationship of the chairs of both the ccNSO and the ALAC. So yourself and whoever they want to put in instead. I mean, you could appoint one of your vice chairs to the role. But I really don't see the value of it being more than six or eight people, and certainly to put out an open call, we're going to get people who think, "Oh yes, that sounds like a good idea and it might – travel for the Board to go to Buenos Aries."

And I don't see what that's going to do. I think you should just appoint. Now if you want to appoint people at the next ALAC meeting, I don't think there is a problem either. But if you only... If simply setting a shared agenda, and managing a joint meeting, and you're only going to get Ralph and whoever he –sorry. Byron or whoever he appoints which

might be Rolof or it might be Pete, one of the staff in perhaps two of the ccNSO, and Ron.

You're going to have a very imbalanced group if you make a public call, in my view. And I'd like you to discuss that first, and then we can talk more about what topics, etcetera, we should be bringing forward. So let's discuss, do you really mean you want to have a public call to the list?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you for this case and for this eloquent way of describing this. I was hoping that we get a balanced, multi-stakeholder model of three people per region coming over to that meeting and no doubt we would have enough volunteers for this sort of work.

Ultimately, I'm not quite sure what this committee work is going to be, and that's why I really throw it over to you to let us know what this committee is going to work on. I gather that yes, there is certainly that two of the liaisons, I was hoping that perhaps your future replacements. I know that you do have two people who are going for the position, so maybe those two people as well would be a good number on that committee.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Well, yes and no. I mean, I would like to suggest that this is by appointment by yes and no. Let me answer that a little bit more clearly. It's Cheryl speaking in a very confused manner. Yes I would think that

you could appoint one or two other people, in fact that would be fine but putting a call out for the people is going to have the opposite effect.

You're going to get all sorts of people that need to be involved in the actual meeting in Buenos Aries. I'm not sure they need to be organized in the preparation of the meeting. I think calling it a taskforce is part of the problem, that sort of has delusions of grandeur. Simply called an [?] exercise on selection of topics and managing of an agenda.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you Cheryl. Let me...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: ...you need.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Any thoughts from anyone else on this?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: You'll get three or four maximum of the ccNSO.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: This is bringing passion on this side of the world as you can see by the number of hands currently up in the room. I'm okay to go with your selection, sorry your suggestion for this. I certainly am concerned that we do have plenty of other working groups that we need to have plenty of people working on.

This one is just creating a quick agenda together. I see Carlton is okay with your suggestion. So let's change this action item to being that the ALAC will appoint... I think that the list which you provided here, so we have a couple of staff members or two liaison and reverse liaison, as I've heard now in the new – at ICANN.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: ...Ron and I...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I would certainly wish to also have at least to ask whether those two people who are earmarked, one of the two I guess, will be earmarked for taking over your position afterwards will be very pivotal for them to be involved. That's a good first step for them to be involved.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: You need to discuss that because only one has consented to that role.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Only one has consented. So when one has made its intentions known of continuing.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yes. I guess that's the best way of saying it. But I've also had people external to that at various other points, show an interest and it's that that I want to be concerned about. I don't want this to be seen as an

apprenticeship exercise because it's not, it's – we'd be carry people in the meetings that really don't need to be there.

This needs to be very full, very quick, and very simple. The...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Right.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: ...taskforce, the delusions of grandeur of it. But yes, I would suggest – Maureen has already going to be a new appointment at Buenos Aries to the ALAC. She would be an ideal appointment for this role. It makes perfect sense and it brings in a new ALAC appointment as well.

But if you're going to make... Discuss it at the ALAC would be my suggestion. But it isn't a matter of if you never been on a ccNSO workgroup, you need to be involved in setting the agenda. That's not this. You'll be working with Byron or whoever he appoints, possibly [?] or Rolof. You'll be working with staff and you'll be working me and Ron, and that's it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay Cheryl. Thank you. Your five minutes are up, in fact you have taken more than five minutes now. I think what we'll do is to just call it the ALAC ccNSO meeting track committee...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yes. That it's...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: ...rather than a taskforce, meeting prep group. It's not a working group, it's just a preparation group or prep, yeah. And we'll make sure... So the action item as recorded would be for discussing this over the next ALAC call, making the suggestion that it would be the two liaisons plus maybe two or three maximum, perhaps I would just say two more people involved, and with a suggestion that those two people be the fourth coming or the earmarked ccNSO liaison or maybe with a preference for the ccNSO liaison.

Just not wanting to make this a big group.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: That's right.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Very long action item, but I hope that Matt has been able to capture this. Matt?

MATT ASHTIANI: This is Matt for the record. Yeah, I have it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Fantastic. Thank you. Let's move on. Competition consumer trust and consumer charged review team, item number six on our agenda. As you know, there has been a call for volunteers now for the

review team. Again this is one of these things where there will be able a lot of people that will wish to apply for.

We've already seen there a quite a few people that want to apply for it. Since this is a review team, I was going to suggest that we were performed the same thing, the same sort of selection process as we did with the ATRT 2. Rinalia has setup a working taskforce to be able to select people for the ATRT 2. Receiving the different details of the candidate, etcetera, etcetera.

That seems to be a process that runs quite well. I was going to run it by you before suggesting it to the ALAC if there is consensus here that this is the way forward. The ccTRT is a very important review team. So we need people who are very vocal in there, and we just cannot afford to waste that opportunity.

Certainly with the amount of work that has been done and the fact that the Board has pushed forward for both the ALAC metrics but also for the GNSO metrics all together. So that's a super set of metrics. We definitely don't want to be overruled and start having those metrics fall by the wayside because they're too expensive to implement.

Any thoughts or comments on this? Evan Leibovitch.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Just a comment. I think I might have an interest in this.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes thank you Evan. I have noted that you did say that you might be interested in this. Carlton?

CARLTON SAMUELS: Yes. This is Carlton. Yes I would like to express interest in this. This is going to be in my opinion, about -- between the GNSO metrics – the heart of it, is going to be about the metrics and the GNSO. Of course you know that Evan has been vocal in having set metrics that the ALAC has proposed, and I'd like to go in the voting on that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you very much Carlton. So do you believe that the process by which we would make the selection is okay? The same process that was used for the ATRT 2? I see an agreement from Tijani. I wonder, Rinalia, I know that you led the process for ATRT 2, two questions.

Would you be interested in being on the review team? Or if not, then would you be interested in dealing with the team to make the selections?

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Hi Olivier. This is Rinalia. I'm not interested in being on the review team. On whether or not I should lead it, I need to know the timeline specifically, just to see how tight it would be.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I think we need to have something by yesterday.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Oh God.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: No I'm kidding you. The...

HEIDI ULLRICH: No there is some time. I think it's...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. The way it works, yeah thank you Heidi. It's Oliver again. The way it works is that the candidates are to be submitted to the ICANN address by the 1st of October. Then what happens is that the... We have one month from the 1st of October until the 4th of November for the SO and AC endorsement of applicants.

So what I was going to ask was, for any applicants to both send their candidates to the RT candidates at ICANN dot org email address. But also, simultaneously, also send it to ICANN At Large staff so we would be able to populate our own web pages about the candidates.

So that committee could immediately, or the taskforce can immediately look at the different candidates and already start discussing some of the candidates. By the 1st of October where the announcements, where the candidates, close the window for applications is closed, the committee should have all of the candidates already in front of them, and might

have a few more landing on their candidates for those candidates that did not follow the rules.

Since they were coming from the At Large community, but did not carbon copy staff with they sent their candidates over. So I do believe you do have time. Rinalia?

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Yeah. Can you just tell me from the closing of the date of application to when ALAC has to say who we endorse, how much time is that?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: One month and three days.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: One month and three days. And that would happen in October?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: 1st of October 2013 applications due. 4th of November 2013 SO and AC endorsement of applicants due.

RIANALIA ABDUL RAHIM: And you foresee that this committee to review would have one per region as the ATRT 2 one that I did before?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I think that we do have to look at it in this way, definitely yes. I guess if we have less than that total amount then we'll end up with less of that total amount. But this is a consumer issue and I do believe that the ALAC should have the largest number of people on that committee if one looks at the different SOs and ACs.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Do we know how many...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: We have not been told and that's something which I can certainly ask and ask how many we are able to endorse. It doesn't look at the moment, from the information that I have at hand, it doesn't say how many one is able to endorse. And you could definitely ask me as an action item to ask how many would we be endorsing. How many are welcomed to be endorsed. Evan your hand is up.

Rinalia you have time to sleep on it for the next few days, sure.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: This is Evan. I just wanted to repeat the question of, do we have any idea how many people from ALAC are being suggested to be a part of this? I mean certainly, any kind of idea of this is going to help make the job of the selection group that much easier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes thank you Evan. And that's exactly the action item that I think Rinalia has just assigned to me. Which is to ask how many we will be allowed.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: You said how many what you will be allowed?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: How many delegates would the ALAC be able to sit on the CCT dash RT?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Olivier this is Heidi.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes Heidi. Go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm fast tracking that action item and I just ask the staff member who is working with them, so hopefully by the end of this call we'll know.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I absolutely love action items which already have a tick next to them by the end of the call. Fantastic. Okay. Thank you. I see Evan, no goodness. I've got the dancing thing here. There was Evan and now there is Cheryl coming up.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: We start tracking cans as well. Cheryl for the record.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I believe everything changes.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I just wanted to ask a process question. And this could be when Heidi is talking to staff I thought she could find this out as well, you see, that's why I put my hand up quickly. Because I support the methodology that Rinalia made last time, I think that was an excellent one.

On a previous RT exercise, and I'm not sure whether it happened on the last one which is why I'm asking the question, we had it so that the staff managing the ordinary affirmation of commitment process gave us – gave the ALAC, and it was half of the time, a courtesy copy of his [sample] revised when any aspirant came in that stated they were hoping to represent our community. And I wonder that was something that was done the last time, or whether as you indicated, you had some potential for some surprises at the end.

And if it wasn't done last time, that's why I'm changed to the methodology that I would make if it was at all possible. When something goes to [?] at ICANN dot ORG, if they state that they wish to represent this community and be endorsed by the ALAC, that the staff managing that list should be letting Heidi know so that your review group know what they are doing without any surprises at all. Thanks.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Cheryl. That's a very good point. I cannot remember what happened with the ATRT 2. Whether we were told right away or – and some of it might be due to whether all of the candidates were considered at the same time or they were considered as they came in.

Heidi, would you remember how this worked? And I know this was only a few months ago.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I would have to double check.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It certainly is a good point forward. There is one concern though which is that if I can remember correctly, the AT candidates would not provide full details of those people who have applied up front before the closing of the process. That's I think how it happened with the ATRT 2.

Whilst we will probably... It doesn't become public, that's right. So now comes the question as to whether they would be happy to share with the – with our committee, the details of those people who have applied since they are from the At Large community.

Because I guess if it's considered public or not public whether they could extend the confidentiality over to our group is another question. And this is why I asked specifically for people to provide a carbon copy of their email to the staff accounts so there is no such question being asked.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Olivier, if I may, I think that should happen. I still think a carbon copy should happen because that's just [?] approach. But when there is no filtering, there is no rejection of an appropriately completed volunteer application, then I see no reason that can't be made in a confidential way available to the group your managing, that's managing it confidentially anyway.

I think for discussion Heidi should probably [having] with the staff, running the RT process...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes. Thank you Cheryl. I definitely believe that... As I said, it's a measure of whether staff trust's the volunteer confidentiality in ALAC or not. That's something which Heidi is going to be able to follow up on. Heidi you caught that?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes I can... This is Heidi. I can follow up on that. I'm just waiting for the person to respond.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Heidi I know staff has already sent a notice for the call for volunteers. Did I not follow up on that? I think I might have. Maybe I followed up on something else.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes you did, but I'm not sure if you followed up with the point of how they should be seeking you and At Large staff.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I think I did mention that.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Perfect.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Anyway. Let's move on. Time is ticking. Okay thank you for this. So now we're going to process forward for this. And Rinalia if you could please come back to us as soon as you can in the next few days to let us know whether you would be interested in being able to lead this effort.

Now the Buenos Aries meeting. And I know it's a tough one Rinalia, so that's why I'm letting you choose. If you don't want to do it, I totally understand as well. Now the Buenos Aries meeting is the next thing. Agenda item number seven. I turn the floor over to Heidi to let us know a little bit about this. Already Buenos Aries.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. It's not even already... This is Heidi. It's not even already. We have less than four months, three and a half months to go and it's going to be [?] it's going to be a very big meeting for a lot of people. Before

we start talking about the initial agendas and meetings, just to let you know that we are developing the travel database.

So you should be getting your working emails relatively shortly. I also wanted to... The second item on this agenda is that – just to give you a heads up, there will actually be two training courses for incoming leaders prior to the start of the actual BA meetings.

So the first one is going to be facilitation skills training and details of that meeting will be sent shortly for the community. The dates of that will be the 13th and the 14th. Following immediately on the 15th and half day on the 16th, there will be the ACSO orientation training.

Now that's... Some people may be calling that pilot academy. But I just wanted to let you know that both of those meetings will be under the umbrella of the academy. We're hoping as close as possible, the same [?] participants incoming leaders. The academy working group is starting to develop that list with staff support.

So I just wanted to let everyone know about these two groups. Some more details will be coming shortly, and some of the incoming leaders and trainers will be their MBA for a total of two weeks, for the most part.

So Olivier moving on to [?] I just wanted a chance to start developing, in general, in broad strokes, what kind of meetings you would like. If it basically we can start with [?] that you will like to have the same general format for the ALAC meetings. And note that the ExCom meeting on Friday will be with the meeting of ExCom.

And also due to the liaisons ending on Thursday, that the liaison reports will be on Thursday, and with the new liaisons in place on Friday at the ExCom. Olivier I think that's all that I have right now.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes thank you very much Heidi. Now of course we're going to have more meeting, which is the meeting with the ccNSO. Are there any meetings that we are likely to drop? Will the ALAC meet with the Board? Will it meet with the GAC? Will it meet with global stakeholding engagement?

With the communications department? Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. Do you have any news of this Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Well again, these are questions... This is Heidi again for the record. These are questions for you. In terms of forward support, people are already following us with them. I don't if people, if you have heard anything back on that.

We are [?]?... We have the ALAC meeting with the Board on Tuesday. For the additional meeting with the ccNSO, Cheryl did you say that was going to be a separate meeting or would that be within, for example, the Sunday session as we did last time?

Did you want a meeting with the GAC? All of these questions. Did you want our meeting with the registrars this time? All these sorts of questions. If we can just get some initial thoughts on that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: And when do we meet to finalize the agenda by?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm hearing some things. I'm hearing from certain people that's it going to be earlier, considerably earlier than usual. And I've heard some others who are actually inputting the material, the information that it will be at regular times. So the posting of the agenda will be about a month prior to the meeting.

But what I'm hearing also is a push for earlier information for travel. So if we can maybe working with Olivier in encouraging everyone to get their travel information – their flight booked as early as possible, and then also getting everything ready to go as early as possible.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Mid-October then you're speaking.

HEIDI ULLRICH: For the travel I'm hoping earlier. I'm hoping mid to end September for the travel. And again, we're all very aware that some of you will be asked to go to the training. So that means that we need to wait until the academy groups confirms who they would like to be there as participants and as trainers.

So I'll make constituency travel aware of that. So you might be getting, have some change in your travel plans. [?] early October.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Heidi. Alan you put your hand up.

ALAN GREENBERG: Two things. Number one regarding Heidi's comment that some of us may be there for two weeks, and in relation to people speaking from other agencies, SOs, and things like that at the training. I presume your checking with these people if they're available first.

There are many people jobs who actually can't randomly take off two weeks in a row.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. Alan yeah. This is Heidi. We're well aware of that. First thing we need to is just get the academy groups, collect the participants, then perhaps have a few people sort of on standby for those who can't make it.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. The last thing is, Olivier did you mention what are tentative ATRT plans are?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: No I have not mentioned those yet. I believe there are not going to impinge on the [affinity] since it would take place on the Monday if I remember correctly...

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes but last time we thought that may have not been clear with Heidi, and it's not clear to anyone else. At this point, the ATRT itself is going to be meeting face to face Monday afternoon. And the intent at this point, is to hold all stakeholder AC SO etcetera interactions on Tuesday and Wednesday.

So those schedules already are typically very packed schedules. So the ALAC is likely to have to open up a window on one of those days. Something to keep in mind. I don't know if the ATRT team has in as far as they are approaching people are not.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I haven't seen anything yet Alan from the ATRT 2 so far. Certainly not with regards to the meeting in Buenos Aries. Okay. Well thanks for this notice and how we're moving forward with this. I must say, just a quick note on the leadership training and on the skills training, I don't know how they call it.

HEIDI ULLRICH: The facilitation skills.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Facilitation skills. Yeah it's very confusing. Those two, having discussed this over with Chris and with his crew, I'm very happy to see that there is definitely some work going on with Sandra on one side and the Academy or working group, and with the skills training.

So hopefully a joint, maybe not a joint, but a coordinated agenda can work with those two and a coordinated course can take place. I'm also concerned about the amount of time that people will have to spend there. But we do have to remember that the ICANN week is effectively slipping forward with the Friday being closed down earlier and with the earlier week, starting earlier.

And it's not the first time that other parts of ICANN have started earlier. I know that the GAC has stayed there for a long time. The GNSO has started work earlier in some cases. And there have been some pre-GNSO meeting events earlier during the week.

So it's not the end of the world as such, and this is at the end of the day an ADM, that's a non-leading as such. Any other comments or questions? Alan your hand is still up.

ALAN GREENBERG: That's an error.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you. Right. Let's move on. At this point in time, I really don't know whether the ALAC would like to meet with registrars. I believe with the GAC, yes, definitely. With the Board, yes definitely. These are the two beginning point meetings that we do have.

With regards to the other parts of the community, we really have to see where we are going and what the hot discussions are going to be about, the hot topics are going to be about. Because I found it somehow determines who we need to speak to during an ALAC – during an ICANN

meeting. A big concern is that we are spending too much time in meetings and too much time also in our own meetings as well.

And I'm not even sure whether the meeting strategy working group will be provided some feedback about that time as well. Maybe some who are on the meeting strategy working group will be able to let us know, but every time I hear from some Board member saying, "Actually the next ICANN meeting will be completed because we will structure it a different way."

And yet, it doesn't change so I'm not quite sure how that will work. I see – well first I see Tijani, who probably wishes to respond to this point specifically and then I'll put Julie Hammer up for that. Tijani please go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Yes thank you Olivier. Tijani speaking. As part of MSWG, the Meeting Strategy Working Group, I don't think that any change can be recommended for the next meeting because we didn't start drafting the first report. And I think that we will work after Buenos Aries or so to give the recommendation of the group.

So no change will be recommended by the group for the Buenos Aries. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Okay. Thank you Tijani. And Julie Hammer you have the floor, although you put your hand down. Julie you probably are muted at the moment. You're not able to unmute. Do we wish to have a meeting with the

SSAC? Possibly. I mean we certainly have done a very good amount of work together.

One thing that we be of interest Julie, is to find out the forthcoming, what will be the forthcoming SAC advice documents, and perhaps these will be – whether these will be discussed with the ALAC. So I don't know what the forecast is on this front, how many more documents with SSAC publish this year, and what are they likely to be about.

Julie I don't know why you can't unmute. Can staff try to unmute you? Okay. Probably not. Yes, so you'll look into it and let us know. Okay. Thanks very much Julie. Much appreciated. Right then let's move on. Heidi did you have any more questions or comments on this or should we just go to the next agenda item?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

I think that's fine. This is Heidi for the record. I think that's fine for the moment. I'll just go ahead and start putting in the normal meetings, asking the working group chairs and RALO chairs, and we'll go from there.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Okay. Thanks very much Heidi. So the next thing is something that's just around the corner, and that's the topics for our 27th of August ALAC meeting next week. There were some suggested topics, which has the meeting strategy working group update.

The decision on the new chair of the ALAC sub-committee on outreach, which is we mentioned a bit earlier. Next steps for an At-Large Board

member and working group updates. And I'm not sure what working group updates you think would be worth mentioning. And then I was going to be ready to just provide a brief review of the meeting that I had over in Los Angeles. Tijani Ben Jemaa. You might be muted at the moment Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you Olivier. Yes, yes, yes. I was muted. What about the capacity building group? It's not mentioned here.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. That's a good point. Yeah we mentioned it earlier so I thought that staff was going to add that anyway, yeah. Thank you Tijani for this reminder. I see Heidi has asked whether there should be updates from the academy and the technology taskforce? The technology taskforce is still evaluating many different types of technologies that are coming out for conducting online meetings.

I'm not sure whether it's something really vital to speak about now as their doing their work or whether we should wait until they finish their work on this and perhaps provide us with a quick update, not during this next call but the call afterwards. With regards to the academy, definitely of importance but again, it is on the 27th, I don't know whether Sandra will have much to share with us by that time.

Perhaps she will with regards to the overall – well, the academy on one side and the leadership skills on the other, etcetera, etcetera.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Oliver if I may?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes go ahead Tijani please.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes I think we'll have things to share with ALAC because we have two working now. One group for the curriculum and the other group for the rules, or not rules but policy for the trainer selection. And as Heidi has said to us and told us that we need to have the trainers already appointed by the 1st of September, we are working very, very fast.

And I think we will have something to present to for the ALAC meeting.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks Tijani. So let's put the academy in there. I would be taking the technology taskforce out this month because we will have so many things to discuss and I'm always mindful of the length of our calls. Speaking of which, maybe we should move on to the next topic after this.

Any further comments on agenda topic number eight? Okay. Well thank you. Heidi you've captured all of that?

HEIDI ULLLRICH: Yes. Thank you very much. This is Heidi.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Heidi. So now we go to number nine, prepare us for Gisella's leave, and I hand the floor back to Heidi and perhaps even to Gisella who will be able to take us through this. Must purchase knife, slice veins, this sort of stuff. But maybe not. Let's see how we can cope.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: We want this to happen but we don't want this to happen. [Laughter]

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. I just seen a very recent photo of Gisella and believe me, we want it to happen because she's going to pop any moment [laughter]. She's going to explode. So as you know, Gisella is going to deliver her child in the next two weeks, and she is going to away on leave from ICANN from September to the 2nd of December.

And we're all going to be missing her...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Heidi, I believe someone has dropped off because we do have this busy signal in the background.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Gisella or Julia could you take a look at what is going on – I am hearing the...

GISELLA GRUBER: Gisella here. We're looking into this. Thanks.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It goes faster and faster. It sounds like it's going to explode soon.
[Crosstalk and laughter] Go ahead Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Gisella with the assistance of Natalie and Julia, have filled up this list of who is going to handle which of Gisella's activities while she is away so you know who to call.

So Gisella I think... And we got [over it] from At Large staff. So Gisella I'm going to hand it to you, just very quickly to go over which general items, you don't need to go over all of the issues, but general issues who can handle what. Gisella go ahead and speak and I'll go ahead and handle this call management. Are you handling that Julia?

GISELLA GRUBER: Hi. Gisella here. I'm trying to get ahold of [?] yes, we're trying to see what this distressed sound is – it's gone.

HEIDI ULLRICH: It's gone. Over to you Gisella.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Thank you. Gisella here. Up on the screen we've just put a brief overview who is doing what during my absence. Bearing in mind that anything that the ExCom does needs dealing with needs to be sent to the At Large staff email list please, and not anyone maybe in particular just if someone can pick up the ball during our different office hours. Natalie and Julia will be taking over the bulk of what I do.

And as you can see on the screen, we're just looking into general call scheduling. Julia will be doing it for At Large and then Natalie will be dealing with the other side that I deal with which is the GNSO. You'll still be receiving the calendar invitations, the Doodles, etcetera.

If anyone in the ExCom organizing a call, if there is any – if at any times these need to be taken into consideration if you could just please let staff and Julia know so that she can set up the Doodle as accurately as possible. I have given her as much information on everyone's availability as possible.

With regards to the mailing list and the administration of the mailing list, Matt will be taking over that task. All translations will be dealt with through Julia. And then with regards to the Buenos Aries, I have listed a few of the tasks that I've dealt with and these will be finalized and maybe distributed during the policy staff meeting in Los Angeles end of September.

But until then, we're just in the rough outline of who is doing what. With regards to the working groups that we've put at the bottom, just because there are part of the working groups that I deal with more than other working groups, ATLAS 2 and the Matrix working group, Natalie

will be helping me out with these so that when I do come back there is a swift handover and I can just take on from where she left.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you very much Gisella. I'm not quite sure the other tasks to be decided, early workshop. I mean, how many hours do you have in a day?

GISELLA GRUBER: So Olivier... It's Gisella here. That's just with regards to any other tasks at the Buenos Aries meeting.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. All right. Any questions or comments? Heidi who will coordinate all of this?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. Natalie, I think she can take the lead here with Julie working as a very close second on that. And then obviously, the other At Large staff is going to help when – wherever we can on that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Will the ExCom have a copy of this tasks, that PDF thing so that we know who to run up rather than bother everyone?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. You have that on your agenda. If you refresh, you'll see that that has been attached to your agenda.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It's arrived in our absence. Okay. Fantastic. Any questions from anyone? Well Gisella, I'm not sure whether we will have the chance to speak to you. I know that you are due any minute, so...

GISELLA GRUBER: I'll be here next week.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: You'll be here next week. So if you'll be here next week then I'm not going to say good luck yet and to wish you all the best for the next few months, because that's going to be repeated next week again.

But certainly a very, very exciting time to have more members of At Large through a very high birth rate which is excellent. It always works. We're going to get a lot more members if we continue at this rate.
[Laughter]

I'm so looking forward to see the little baby and it's, yeah, it's going to be great. Any thoughts, comments, questions by anyone on this? I have to thank you for putting this together, and I think it's very clear so I'm glad the tasks will be shared among many. I'm just a bit concerned that it's just going to add to more work for everyone.

And as you know we've got so much coming up in the next six to eight months, in fact in the future I think. Up to infinity. But definitely good to see all things clear. If there are any questions by anyone please ask Heidi and I'm sure she'll be able to point you to the right person. Let's go on to the next thing, that's the any other business part.

And I know that Alan had any other business to ask about or to alert us about. So Alan Greenberg, you have the floor.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Okay. As hopefully all of you saw in the little table I sent around on the state of our various email lists, and many of the parameters seem to be set randomly. The ones that concern me, I'm in the process of documenting how they are set. So we can leave them like this, document them, but I think this is an opportunity to fix some of the more blatant problems.

And I'll describe what I think are those problems and get a sense of this group whether we can simply arbitrarily change them or we need to go and consult. First of all, we have two lists, the ALAC list and the [Afri] discuss list, where if someone sends a message that is not on the list, it is simply discarded as opposed to a rejection message going back.

That sends something into a black hole and I see no reason that anything should be discarded. It's nice, of course, to have spam discarded. But if someone sent the message especially to the [Afri] discuss list, not realizing it is private...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Alan...

ALAN GREENBERG: ...problematic. Yes.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Alan, did you get my reply on this? On your concerns about the list because effectively what my reply was this is just poor list management and we just need to task someone to even out the whole thing.

ALAN GREENBERG: Well I understand...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I did say on there that the moderators of the list, in other words both staff and myself, should be copied on any rejected note or anything like that. Or that any note that gets put into pending status, etcetera, etcetera. It's all pretty clear. It just wasn't done and it's a bit of...

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier, this one I think is pretty clear. I don't think anyone is going to object. On a few of the others, I'm not sure the direction this group wants to go in, that's why I'm raising it here. So the discards we can change to reject, I don't think anyone thinks this is controversial.

The next one that I think is critical, is ExCom, anyone can subscribe to it. No notifications, no approval necessary. I believe...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Is that what it says at the moment?

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm telling you how it is. All you have to do is you say you want to subscribe, and confirm it's your address, and you're on. Which explains how people show up their periodically. We've known that's the problem. So that one I think should go to admin approval.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yup.

ALAN GREENBERG: Currently ALAC internal is the only ALAC list where not only do you need approval but you need to confirm your correct address. And so the only way people can get on is by staff adding them, that's not a relevant option so I think that one should be fixed.

The ones...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I don't understand that one. I didn't understand that.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Right now, if someone tries to subscribe to ALAC, or ALAC internal, it requires admin agreement.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yup.

ALAN GREENBERG: Sometimes they do that. We need to make sure staff understands not to approve those. That's point number one. Point number two, once we've done that there is an extraneous parameter, it doesn't need to be sent. That's...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: The last thing is for the discuss list, once we fix the discard, we have three of them at reject, and three hold for approval, that is the moderator or admin can approve or discard depending on their choice. Do we want to leave them three one way, three the other? Or do we want them all uniform?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: This should all be held for moderation I believe.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. That's all I need. I will make sure all of that gets done, emails will go out very shortly.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Alan and thanks for looking into this. It's one of these terrible things where there are so many mailing that, with time, there is a bit of slack in it. It just goes in all directions, some change, and sometimes IT also intervenes on these. So it's good that you're managing to get those up.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'll point out I'm not cleaning up everything. I've only identified in cleaning up the things that I needed to publish. For instance, the moderators are on the various lists, very all over the place. There are some that are there historically because they were there many years ago.

One regional VP is on the list, and APAC list as a moderator. It varies all over the place. We should clean that up, I'm not attempting to at this time.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: We definitely should.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Perhaps we should ask Matt to look at this please, to clean those up. Certainly having a moderator as a regional VP is not an option.

ALAN GREENBERG: It's been like that for seven years now.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Well because things have been like that for seven years doesn't make it right.

ALAN GREENBERG: On the other hand, Evan and I are still moderators on the North American list, and that's very helpful because we get notices of subscribes and unsubscribes.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Do you need the password to be able to moderate?

ALAN GREENBERG: We can't moderate... Well, I believe with the mailman, if you get a message with a long encoded streams, you can moderate without the password. You can moderate. But honestly, moderation is not the major issue, it's just the informative messages that are the most useful.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you. Thanks. All right. I see Rinalia has put her hand up. Rinalia you have the floor.

RIANLIA ABDUL RAHIM: Thank you. This is not about the email list and I'm so grateful that Alan is looking into that. it's about... Is it okay that I have something for

staff. And Heidi, if you could just note what I've written in chat, when you follow up with Christine Willet on the economic economist intelligence unit, can you please ask them why the other panel member was dropped?

Because it's quite relevant even though no one has articulated that. Because that will also influence how I draft the statement on the committee priority evaluation follow up. The second thing is, can you also please follow up with ICANN travel constituency as well as finance for the people who are going to the IGF?

Because some of my panelists are getting quite nervous, especially those from countries that require a series of visa letters and stuff like that. That's all from me. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you Rinalia. This is Heidi. I've taken note of that and I'll follow up.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay thank...

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier, sorry. When my turn comes around again I have one more issue on that mail that I didn't have highlighted properly.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Well I might just let you go on. Go ahead Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. The ALAC announce list, currently my understanding is that anyone can self-subscribe but it currently requires admin approval. Is there any reason for that?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I have no clue. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm sorry Alan, I didn't get the final part of that question.

ALAN GREENBERG: The ALAC announce list, if someone tries to self-subscribe, the administrator has to approve. Is there a need for that? If so, we'll leave it otherwise we can take it off...

HEIDI ULLRICH: ALAC announce is a for a limited amount of people so I think that's why that is there.

ALAN GREENBERG: My understanding one could self-subscribe. If that's not the case, then fine I'll correct...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. I need to double check with Matt and Cheryl on that.

ALAN GREENBERG: If you can get back to me then. I'm not sure Cheryl, why Cheryl is still in that loop but...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah neither am I.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks...

ALAN GREENBERG: Get back to me so that I can correct the documentation. I don't care which way it is as long as I know.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks Alan. Now just in response to Rinalia's question. I'll just draw your attention Rinalia to the actual announcement itself. I think that the statement to be drafted is a statement in response of this request, and I think that this is really aimed at the panel for consideration. So discussing the non-appointment of the other firm is perhaps something that would be sent over to the Board, but not to the panel firm that was actually appointed.

I noted this this morning while reading through this that we're dealing with two different types of advice perhaps. And I guess some of our advice, which shows concern about the actual choice of the firm and not having community members and so on, will probably not be the advice that we can send to the panel firm itself. Rinalia?

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Yeah, I'm actually clear on that but I will draft content for both and then you can decide on how you want to deal with it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Perfect. That's great because what we might have to do is just split them again. And the statement for the Board and the statement for the panel firm. But certainly, I've read through the guidelines document and there is enough in there, I've just scoped through it, it will be really great to find out if this addresses the concerns of, correct the identifying of a community or if it doesn't.

And I note, Tijani, you've done a lot of work on this also for the applicant support program, and maybe you might wish to read through this document, the guidelines document quite closely as well since you've got plenty of experience in this matter as well.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: And one more thing Olivier. Is it possible, once Matt has uploaded that document to the Wiki, for staff to send out a call for comment on that? So that we can get input from the larger community.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes Rinalia, I think that was on the list of action items, and I hope that staff is picking this up. This is an urgent one that needs to be done. Certainly the Wiki has been created, a link to the page, to the announcement page, plus also a direct link to upload that document is important. And then send it over to get some input from the ALAC or something...

There is only five days for At Large comments to come in, five working days. So yeah. Today, action, urgent. Thanks for this Rinalia. Any other, other business? I'm seeing that no one has put their hand up. It is nearly 15:00, well 16:00, goodness it's gone fast. It's been two hours we've been on the call.

Thanks to all of you for having lasted that long. This was very productive and I like forward to speaking to all of you next week on our ALAC call. Until then, I hope you'll be able to take a bit of a break, and if you're not since we have so many action items going on, I hope you will be able to take your work to a place where you will also enjoy being.

Thanks to everyone and take care. This call is now adjourned.

[END OF TRANSCRIPT]