

---

NATHALIE PEREGRINE: Good morning, good afternoon, good evening everybody. This is the At Large Technology Taskforce Working Group call on the 19<sup>th</sup> of August 2013. One the call today we have Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Gordon Chillcott, Bill Thanis.

We have apologies from Yaovi Atohou and Olivier, Crépin-Leblond. From staff we have Heidi Ullrich and myself Nathalie Peregrine. I would like to remind all participants to please state their names before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much and over to you Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you Nathalie. This is Dev Anand Teelucksingh. Welcome everyone to the call. Let's get right onto it in terms of the agenda. So I just want to move quickly to the agenda page and to look at the review of the action items. Just to review the action items, and the link is in the agenda, in the lucid agenda.

Dev to work with staff to setup a conference, the web conferencing tools Blue Jeans on the 12<sup>th</sup> of August, and we are ready to talk on the 26<sup>th</sup> of August. This has been completed. We had a [Blue Jean] test last week, on August the 12<sup>th</sup>, and we're going to have the next conference call on the 26<sup>th</sup> to test out ready talk.

So that is done. Action item, to create a central repository of video pictures captured by At Large members that could be used by the curating editing working group for possible use by At Large. This is

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

partially implemented. I've created a... There is apparently a tool that allows anyone, and I'm posting the link in the chat, by visiting that link, persons can upload any files to a person's Dropbox account.

So for those... So I'm thinking, this is actually going to be very useful for At Large, for ICANN At Large staff, perhaps Nathalie or Heidi could confirm whether they have a Dropbox account. But the idea is equal to... You give somebody a link to that page, and when they click on that link they could just drag a file and it will be uploaded to that person's Dropbox account and from there it can be shared.

I think also that Glenn has now joined the Lucid room if not the call. So welcome Glenn. So I'll say that is partially implemented. Okay. So the action item, to draft – to take a draft of the social strategy document and to update the concepts to be discussed on the last call on August 5<sup>th</sup>.

That has been done and we'll discuss that in the social media strategy agenda item. Okay. And let's see. There are several ongoing action items, some – AI for [? 0:03:06], develop the template, update the one page and add that template to one of the workspace pages. [? 0:03:16] is yet on the call, so I'll leave that aside.

Let's see. Looking at the rest of the ongoing AIs. We still have not done the accessibility one, so that is still an outstanding action item that needs to be acted upon. Any other questions on the agenda items? Going once, going twice, okay. Let's move ahead then. Let's move ahead then to the agenda item three, which is to review the criteria to evaluate web conferencing solutions.

---

So a proposed table was put up with suggested criteria to evaluate the web conferencing solutions, and that's the link at – I'll post the link again in the chat just to make sure everyone can see what we're talking about. Is a set of web conferencing solutions and this will be a list of desired features, and then we have separate columns for each of the web conferencing solutions that we review.

So I know Glenn has made some suggestions for this, and I think I do have some comments on this, but I just want to perhaps open it up to either Gordon or Bill. Any particular... Have you looked at this table and have any comments or suggestions before I continue?

GORDON CHILLCOTT: Dev this is Gordon.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Gordon please go ahead.

GORDON CHILLCOTT: I looked at this quite a lot and one of the things that I did like about it was the language that is used. That being the standard buzz words that people like Joe and myself use when we put it, construct a table, these sites are not there. And that's good because that means that somebody from outside the bubble can read this and actually understand what is going on.

The entry that grabs my attention right off the bat is, is the line that is labeled, "Supports a variety of mobile, tables, slash platforms in iOS and

---

Android.” It’s my version of that would have been shorter but not quite as clear I think. So that’s one thing I do appreciate.

By the way, while I’m on the topic, the entry in that particular item for Adobe Connect is yes via application. But anyway, I do like that. I looked at it first and thought it was bad and then realized who was going to have to read this and I think now it’s very, very good. So that’s my comment on it.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks Gordon. This is Dev Anand speaking. So one of the things – and I think Glenn is now on the [Deva version 0:06:33], I think... Just to confirm, yes [Glenn 0:06:41] is saying yes. Okay. There is some... I’m just going through the tables and I’m looking at some of these things.

The question, and I think Glenn is the one who put it, so I guess I’ll direct the question to him. You mentioned things like technology support slash email and phone. I think this means that if the web conferencing solution offers a... Well, web conferencing solution offers such technology support, email and phone. Correct? [CROSSTALK 0:07:10]... Yes I can hear you Glenn, you can go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, I think it’s important to have technical support when you need it. Too many of these tools... I’ll give you a good example, I use a tool called I Build Apps, which creates Android and iPhone apps and you have levels of supports. They will not respond except by email, and then they put it into their FAQ tools so that everybody else can read it.

---

But they oft times absolutely forget or misinterpret what your question is, so it can be extremely frustrating if help is not designed properly. I'd like, for example, Blue Host. I host a lot of my websites with Blue Host and Gator, which is a superb service. I can go live chat, bang, right to a person who – and I have my technical question back and forth right away.

So if they don't understand what my issue is, I can just keep trying to clarify it. So I guess what I'm trying to say is the level of support is absolutely critical in any technology solution.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thank you Glenn. Okay. So I have to admit, when I looked at a feature, I'm thinking, "Well, would that be a yes all across all of the web conferencing solutions type of thing?" But... How do... I guess the challenge would be, how do we evaluate the level of technology support email and phone? Email support and phone support, other than actually going through some sort of well, contacting them with a problem and evaluating their responses.

If you understand my question?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. I think it's like anything else, three – one star to five stars and support. If they'd have support in theory... For example, Live Stream. Live Stream has no support if you have a free account. If you have a professional account, there is support. So there is a classic example from no stars to five stars, but you're paying for it.

---

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Hello?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Dev are you there? Hello?

NATHALIE PEREGRINE: Dev's line has dropped, we're just dialing him back.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Hey Gordon, are you there?

GORDON CHILLCOTT: I'm here Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Hey. How are things Gordon?

GORDON CHILLCOTT: Not too bad. Glenn, I hear the whole thing about support. It's a rather important issue. The way I've normally engage support was, frankly the discussion list about how good or how bad that particular service is. The other, excuse me, turnaround time on a call and the available solution they're willing to offer you.

Going through a checklist doesn't necessarily do it for an awful lot of the problems that you actually do encounter.

---

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. Gordon, I think you've got a good point. And I think Bill has just typed into the chat, "How do you weigh the requirements on it?" So yeah, this could be a long debate but if we're paying big money for a really good web conferencing tool, I think we need to add to the mix in the evaluation.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. This is Dev. I'm just coming back into the call here so sorry about that drop out there. So let me see. We're going back to the table here really quickly. Okay, well, Glenn just asked the question, file transfer. What exactly does that mean in terms of the desired feature?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Well, I'll give you a good example. With staff, I've done a lot of video and photos at ICANN events and they want me to do Dropbox. The problem is, is Dropbox is good in some sense, but there is just the old standard FTP is better for me to transfer information. Distribution of files or resources with different tools is important, back and forth with the numbers.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay I understand that. I just posted a link how... I was going through the action items, there is a tool that essentially enables anybody with a URL, that I posted in the chat, to just upload files to the Dropbox without them having a Dropbox account. So you can give that a try, have about 40, 50 gigs free, and link it my Dropbox account for testing.

---

GLENN MCKNIGHT:                   Okay.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:       So give that a test and see. But going back to [? 0:13:19] set of web tools, okay. Now I know what the file transfer means... I'm not sure this is actually a feature of the web conferencing solution though. I mean, a brief file transfer is useful, but as part of a web conferencing solution? I'm thinking that feature is not really a feature of web conferencing.

It's not a web conferencing feature, to be able to – only when doing web conferences do file transfer between people. If you catch my... If you get my understanding.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:                   Yeah. I agree with you. I just think some of the tools have added that as a feature, and I think what's happening is the tools are being evolved and people are actually using it and saying, "Hey, wouldn't it be nice to do this? And wouldn't it be nice to do that?" So features are growing, and that might be a feature that could be in one of these tools.

I'm not saying we need it, I'm just saying we could be a feature in one of these web conferencing tools.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:       Okay. I have to admit, well I understand it, but I'm not sure... These are what we call desired features for At Large use. I'm not sure file transfer is a desired feature for At Large use. But let me see what – Gordon, Bill, any particular thoughts on this?



---

GORDON CHILLCOTT: Gordon, Dev. I think what Glenn is trying to do is try to find some way to compare apples to apples. My only comment here is maybe the apples are getting a little big. [Laughter] Just before... While you were dialed out Dev, we got into the conversation about measuring support.

I really do think this one needs to be there, and Glenn brought up the one point that I'm deeply ashamed to say completely escaped me and that was if we're paying big money for this, we should darn well get support that we can a) depend on, and b) hopefully get results from.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. I understand that. I guess that's in reference to the technology support part of things, which is a desired feature. Which I can understand with, and so on. Okay. Well I think... I still think that, well is the file transfer a desired, I don't know, capability to have for At Large? I don't know if it should be in a web conferencing evaluation as such.

But we'll take it to the list on that.

GORDON CHILLCOTT: Dev, Gordon again.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Go ahead Gordon.

GORDON CHILLCOTT: If in doubt, we can always have an extra line in there where you can make some [CROSSTALK 0:16:31] ...added features.

---

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Okay. And perhaps Glenn, perhaps is that – this other thing, you probably elaborate on the concept of file transfer to say what exactly that means. Just to give more clarity. A little action item as to, ability to share large files, that type of thing.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. Most people, a large file you can't attach it by email. It's impossible. And if there is a video clip or something of size, email is not going to work. If there is a method of distributing these files quickly with very little problem or – then it's just... At the end of the day, the end users are getting this information quickly.

They don't have to go back and get anything else.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay...

BILL THANIS: Can I put in my two cents here?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Sure. Go ahead. Who is this?

BILL THANIS: This is Bill.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Ah, Bill, I didn't recognize your voice. Go ahead Bill.

---

BILL THANIS: We are getting very off-topic here. File transfer can easily be thought of more as a problem for the Wiki as opposed to actually for the conferencing system. As we did right now, we pointed the URL to a specific file on the Wiki.

So what we should really be talking about when talking about file transfer is, can we use our Wiki as a method of storing files and then distributing them to people as needed?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you Bill. I think I'm more in line... I understand what you're saying and I think that's what I'm trying to say. To me, the file transfer, in my mind, is not a web conferencing feature as such. I mean I guess the ability to share links maybe that is that thing. The ability to share URLs, but I definitely – to me, in my mind, that is captured in public and private text chat.

BILL THANIS: Yes.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: So I mean, so ability to share URLs through content would be captured  
[CROSSTALK 0:19:09]

BILL THANIS: ...does the web conferencing service provide a place to keep, probably temporarily, files that can be distributed to the conference group? And, again, I would argue that the better way to do that is to place things on

---

our Wiki and then just pass along URLs. That way we can provide storage, long term storage, for this stuff.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. I agree Bill. Thanks for that. This is Dev. All right. Well, any other responses, thoughts, from anyone? Going once, going twice, okay. Let's see. There is something else... I was just going through the desired features. [Mumbling (reading to himself) 0:20:08 – 0:20:15] Okay.

Yeah, this is also the next thing. I'm thinking this is a possible duplication. And I see recording, and I see our prior sessions for public review, which to me sounds like the same feature. So I'm thinking we do keep archived sessions for public review and delete recording, unless there is some other meaning to the desired feature that I'm not seeing.

Any comment with that? That I'll be deleting the call recording and because it's already captured on the archive sessions for public review.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. That's fine.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Great. All right. Again, we want to lock this down so we can then really start populating the table. Start populating the table as we go through all of these conferencing solutions. Okay. Gordon, go ahead.

---

GORDON CHILLCOTT: One rider on that. You probably want to, when you're filling out that particular row, say what kind of archives are available. Audio recordings might not be, transcripts, that kind of thing, chats and the rest of that. It might be worthwhile trying to find some way to state exactly what kind...

If there is a restriction on what kinds of archives are available, that's what I'm getting at, I finally figured that out. That should probably be mentioned in there.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Well, I guess... Sorry, for the transcript, this is Dev. I guess how would I document these features, are that those two are for a way of exports of all of the content from that meeting. Be it the chat, some will be the chat, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. Audio recordings, if the audio recording is done in the – if any voice over IP is used within the conferencing solution, is that able to be recorded for, well archived for public view.

And that content can, as Bill mentioned, can be put up on the Wiki when the Wiki page... Because remember, the Wiki page will still be used as the public archive record, whatever web conferencing solution we look at and so forth. So okay. I see Siva was connecting to – well, I see Nathalie this one. Okay. Great.

Let's move ahead then to the next agenda item. I think what we probably do have to do is again, post this again for comment and say make some comments on this and probably elaborate on a few of the features. Like when they say file transfer, what does that mean?

---

I am involved with rephrasing it or removing it, since file transfer is something that, how to share large files is something that's a function of the Wiki and so forth. But all right. Let's move it on to the next item on the list since we've spent enough time on this.

Just going on to the next agenda item which is the review of the Blue Jeans conferencing solution. I posted some text on the list and I've now posted it to the Wiki. And what we can do is as we evaluate each of these solutions, we write up a summary for each of these solutions as we go through them.

Any quick thoughts or comments on this? I mean, I think I've captured all of the key points, and what – well, the persons on this call will on that Blue Jeans call. So if there is anything that I missed, now is the time to say it. Okay. I heard a murmur there.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: It's Glenn. I was not impressed with the tool. And I think it has its value, but it doesn't have the functionality that other tools have.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks Glenn. Okay. If there no other additional comments, we can then move on. Okay. I think there are no other comments, so I pretty much – I want [? 0:25:05] on the Wiki page. All right. Well in that case, we can save some time then and move on to the next agenda item.

Okay. So the next steps are that we, again, document the criteria [? 0:25:24] and do some of the updates that we mentioned on the call.

---

Moving the recordings column for example, updating what this [? 0:25:34] file transfer and putting it under additional features.

And also, well, perhaps elaborate on some of these one point items. The next conference meeting will be on the 26<sup>th</sup>, and that will be to test Ready Talk. So the call and the announcement should go out fairly soon, later this week. In terms of trying to do other conferencing solutions, what I see Glenn had put here, had suggested several links here.

Well, I'm thinking that if we're going to do another testing, any other testing would be next month in September. And I'm thinking possible... I say... I'll still recommend that we do a separate test rather than [? 0:26:31] ...regular TTS call. Because there is a lot of kinks we have to work out, try to understand.

So I don't think it's very useful to try to do a regular Technology Taskforce call with a new technology tool, because I think we'll spend so much time trying to figure out how to get things working that we won't get to our agenda items, so it needs to be a separate testing call, so to speak. Any other thoughts on that?

Going once... And I guess what we have to figure out is which tool to then look at next after Ready Talk. Any particular one we should consider reviewing next month? I'm seeing Go To Meeting, Go To Meeting Now, sorry [CROSSTALK 0:27:29]... Now, Join Me, Meeting [? 0:27:32], and Clear Side.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Go To Meet Now looks quite interesting.

---

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Go To Meet Now, okay. We'll look at Go To Meet Now in September at least, as one of the first ones in September. Okay. Okay. Good. All right. Next agenda item. Okay. The At Large social media strategy. Well, I posted something to the list before, and if you look at those two links in separate tasks here, you can see... I try to capture some of the ideas about what we discussed on the previous call, and also what is existing right now.

So if you go to the social media post page, there has been about 30 posts since – this month alone, in August. And remember the intent was that content from the ALAC announce mailing list would be posted onto the Wiki, and then that this then linked or cross-posted to the At Large community page on Facebook and the At Large Twitter account.

Okay? So some of the things that I've noted was that, let's see. [Mumbling 0:29:21] ...page here. All right. Okay. So some of the things that I noted was that when staff was copying and pasting the text from the ALAC announce list, it was a lot of pre-formatted text was being inserted into the log post.

I've noted two alternatives to remove formatting from the text when they are copying and pasting to a text for windows. And there is a program called Format Match for the Mac, and what they do they well, they – when any text is copied to the clipboard, they remove the formatting and just have the plain text when you paste it to whatever applications and in this case, the Wiki page.

So I have tested, pure text, actually works very, very well. Let me see – one of the links is not being reached. Social media... Strangely enough, I'm opening the links okay. Glenn?



---

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. The link above, took me to that script above, “This page you’re trying to reach could not be found.” That’s actually from the ICANN site and that’s the link that I clicked on to get to it.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Okay. Well, all right. So that’s probably a link that needs to be corrected from the ICANN site of things, well from the TTF Wiki page to...

GLENN MCKNIGHT: That’s the second link you gave me. I have to scroll down to look for the social media comments, which is you are for At Large social media space, that you posted on August 2<sup>nd</sup>, and when I click on that...

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I see...

GLENN MCKNIGHT: ...provided, then it takes me to another link, which is the – and then it gives me that error message.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. [? 0:31:37] correct the link on the Wiki then. All right. So the other things that I noted is that well, so a part from the content, formatting... Our challenge is to create content or to ensure that content that is already shared on ALAC announce is well, accessible.

And by accessible, I mean easily understood by persons reading the post. So content that is accessible and then content that is easily understood. This is especially important when it is circulated to the

---

wider public. I mean, I noted a few things. For example, one of the things was that [this 0:32:39] text was posted to the list, and I'll post the link here.

Let me post this link. All right. So... And what that ALAC announce comment that I posted in that chat, and the ALAC... The call for comments on the ALAC statement for the [? 0:33:02] treatment for community applications and strength contention. Now the things was that, when I was reading the statement I could not understand, I understood what it was saying but then I realized...

But if anybody is trying to read this, they probably would not understand what the heck all of these acronyms, for example, and what this was about. So I attempted to try to re-edit the blog post, and try to... Here is a glossary of the terms used in the statement. Posted the second link to the blog post that was used.

This is exactly the type of challenge that we have to deal with. And then I've noted in the ideas for updating the At Large social media strategy, and one of the ways that I was suggesting that we needed about that the templates, or update the templates because we have existing templates but we update the templates to try to simplify the text and enhance the presentation of the announcements that are posted on ALAC announce.

And we have a lot of standardized templates for ALAC post announcements, ALAC vote results, meeting notices, the ICANN news alerts. So I think one of the things that definitely has to happen is to we need to, let's update the templates to simplify and enhance the presentation of announcements.

---

So I also started an acronym help as part of the social media page there, and I did it for two of the topics there. And I'm posting a lot of the links to the chat here. Here is an example... [AUDIO BLANK 0:35:07 – 0:35:18]. Okay.

And that's an example of the acronym help in use where I inserted what was the acronyms – the MSWG which was the acronym for ICANN meeting strategy working group. And what I did was... So what happens is we can pull the information from background materials rather than trying to come up with new content for it all of the time.

So any thoughts regarding the ideas – what you see so far in the social media post and so forth? Going once, twice...

GORDON CHILLCOTT: Dev? Gordon.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Gordon. Thank you. Please go ahead, and I think Lance is in the queue, but Gordon you were first. Go ahead.

GORDON CHILLCOTT: Yeah. [? 0:36:19]... same thing, but this thing of acronyms has been a problem for us for some time. And dealing with these... I wonder about things like acronym helpers and the rest of that. And the reason why I wonder about that is, after this morning I just finished a document for somebody else, mostly to be read by myself because I keep forgetting things.

---

And that was loaded with acronyms too. What I did was very simply used the power of the word processor to replace the acronym in each case with the acronym plus its translation in brackets. I might have gone a bit far with that because the document did expand a bit. But it makes it a little bit easier you know.

Rather than have to mouse over the acronym and read somewhere what it means, which is the way it's done now, or you can hope to try to remember it from the first time that it was explained about five pages ago, minimum. So there are other tools that we can use. There are other solutions to this, I agree.

It's a consuming problem and it's quite a bad one for us.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Well... This is Dev. Thanks Bill, sorry Gordon, sorry. I'm mixing it all up. Sorry about that. Thank you Gordon. This is Dev. Indeed, it is a challenge but I think once the definitions are done and put on the acronym helper, then we can just simply insert it into any blog post or in any announcement text that's being posted.

So for example, when we say something like, when the SSAC had posted a paper on something, we can then just instantly insert the text for the acronym background information for what does SSAC stand for, which is Security and Stability Advisory Committee. So sorry, Gordon? Sorry, Glen? You have...

---

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yeah. My comment is going back to this other item that you recall, it's a call for comments. ALAC statements on preferential treatment. I recall three days prior to the ICANN meeting doing the internet governance forum, and it was done by NTUC. And as a person that is familiar with NTUC, I'm also a person familiar with the terms, I was in a room with 35 people who had zero knowledge of the terms.

And you can see their – we're both speaking English, but no one is understanding each other. There was no effort to hand out a simple piece of paper with the acronyms, and so there was I would say a breakdown in communication. So when I read this call for comments, my eyes glaze over.

This reminds me of our BBS in 1980s, late 80s. This is insane, where this material... We need... And this is a discussion, I remember, with the communication director before Jim, where he was really conscious of making ICANN speak in plain English. We are constantly having a battle with having...

And that's why social media is important, is taking this complicated, overly complicated material, making it simple so people can comment. You know? And it may be a short 30 second or one minute video, but we've got to make a better effort in communicating things in a simple, straightforward matter. And this is an example of....

And what happens is that normal people, I guess you would say, who are familiar with the ecosystem will comment, but what about new people? We have a dearth, especially with NORALO, new people coming on board and there is no mentoring process. So there is a real

---

need to start making our communications simple, straightforward, and better communication.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thanks Glenn. So okay. Bringing us back into this social media – the idea for the social media strategy. All right. The idea that was floated around was that if we have sort of a curating working group, which will create, edit the content for posting on social media, right?

That’s in the... Oops, apologies there. Am I on the call still?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. So if you look at the At Large social media strategy workspace, so the idea behind the curating working group would be to then... To [? 0:41:56] of ICANN At Large activities to At Large members not directly involved in At Large activities, so that the passive members of At Large but aren’t really directly involved with working group, etcetera.

To promote the [? 0:42:13] necessity of ICANN At Large outside the community. So persons that really care about the interests of the internet, individual internet users and ICANN policy discussion can then be motivated – can learn and join, hopefully join the At Large community.

And then you can create the content that is accessible and easily understood by the wider public. I think, yes, I agree with you that this is

---

an ongoing challenge. So the idea of the curating working group would then be comprised members of – well, from this working group, you can bring it out to the At Large, but at a minimum include the secretariat since the real secretariats...

Well, I don't know exactly the terminology functions in all of the [bills 0:43:02] and all the [MOUs 0:43:03] and the by-laws, but typically the secretariat is responsible for information flow within their RALO. So I think they would have to be on board with any possible curating group. I also then noted that, well, okay, we have a lot of content, we have pictures and videos taken by At Large members during the face to face meetings, and there is also the content on the ICANN policy discussions.

WHOIS, the EWG, registry issues, registrar issues, [? 0:43:37] use, etcetera. So the thing is, and this is going to be my concern, how exactly would such a curating working group work? All right. So if you come up with accessible content... When there is a call for comments for example, there is literally not much time, there is like four days.

So we can't really, a curating working group can't spend like three days trying to simplify a statement or an explanation and so forth. That's my concern with how the group would work. Anybody has any thoughts on this? Or [? 0:44:28] ... I'm incorrect in speaking this? [CROSSTALK 0:44:33] ...call, is on the call. Welcome Lance. Gordon, I see your hand raised. Go ahead.

GORDON MCKNIGHT:

Dev, there is two things that happened here. First off, whatever it is that you mentioned things that are going for comment. There are two

---

things that happen with that thing that goes out for comment. First thing that happens is, it gets written. So some of the onus for this call really kind of has to be on the pen holder.

And in a lot of cases with some of the pen holders, they are very good at it. One of the keys to this thing is that the pen holder be reasonably nontechnical. Definitely in the creative group, the large part of the driving force behind that is with people of nontechnical, with perhaps some technical people have access to translators for them.

The actual process of generating clarity has to be done with people who are proven pen holders. And we do have a few.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. This is Dev. Okay. I also note that the ICANN labs is, I think also looking at this... It's actually the fact [? 0:45:53] several blog posts that are put in the last past week actually. I think there is a communications track team that I've gotten. There are four tracks in this ICANN lab, I think, ICANN labs.

Let me see if I can pull up the page, labs at ICANN dot ORG. There is conversation, education, communication, and discovery. And I think there is a post regarding the communications team. And let me see if I can bring that post in. Yeah, here it is.

Kind of a long one, I hope I've gotten it right. So the communications track team is trying to [estimate 0:46:37] internet governance clearer and more accessible. And it actually talks about something very similar to what is in the social media strategy in terms of curating working group. They talk about solving the problem, enlisting knowledgeable



---

curators who can effectively translate, and I put translate in quotes, the most important updates of the day is the content that any interested party can understand.

We then go a long way from converting users, which are not interested in internet governance, into more engaged participants. So a curator would be able to select content and post explanations.... Well the curator – time invested. But I'm thinking does require a lot of investment in time though.

So I think that ICANN itself is recognizing this need to, well make content more accessible so that it can be communicated more effectively within the community, outside of the community, over social media as well.

So that is something to note. I'm not sure how... I don't know if Heidi, well, I think Heidi is on the call. Isn't that... Do you have even more understanding about this ICANN lab communications track, in the sense that... Well, is it something that we should just join the track and then see how this works?

I'm trying to figure this out. Is this one of your system wide thing at ICANN?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Hi everyone. This is Heidi. Thanks Dev. Very good question, and from what I've heard so far, yes it is. But in order to get more information about this, we're having an At Large briefing call in September, I think it is the week of the 9<sup>th</sup>, with Chris Gift.

---

And he will be speaking about ICANN labs and please bring your questions for him.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Excellent. Okay. I think definitely that it would be good to attend that call. And well, ask those type of questions. Okay. Thanks Heidi for that. Glenn? I see your hand raised.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. You asked... You made a comment and you asked a question at the same time, where do we start? It's such a large problem. And I always think of eating an elephant, you start with the first bite. And you can't solve all of this jumbled communication.

You need to start with something. We basically look at some of this stuff that has been done, and make an effort to make it simple and direct using different techniques that organizations use which is effective. Remember, a lot of people do not speak English as their first language. Not everybody speaks at the same technology level. So it is intention on us to be accessible.

And accessibility is more than just having somebody in a wheelchair being, accessing information. We are... We have W3 compliance, we have WCAG 2.0 compliance. But we also have a moral obligation to communicate effectively. And I think all we can do is start somewhere and maybe by good example, other people pick this up and try to emulate it.

---

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. All right. Thanks Glenn. Well I'll say that we have taken small steps on this, and I think that was why I presented the ideas for updating the At Large social media strategy. We start off with coming up with this updating the templates regarding announcements posted on ALAC announce.

Like the vote announcement, like the vote results, [? 0:51:06], meeting notices and so forth. I especially think RALO election announcements should probably also be on that list because that's also a source of confusion. So that's, as a first step, let's start looking at cataloguing the types of announcements posted on the ALAC announce, and then look to...

Well, let's take a sample and then suggest possible updated text for the template. Okay? So is that a good way forward for everyone? Okay. Okay. Great. Okay. Well we managed to getting into... And then let's move to the next agenda item then which is any other business. Okay. We are coming close to the end of the call here, but I notice there hasn't been that much comment on ideas for improving organization At Large content.

So I just wanted to do it again. We're probably not going to spend time on this call on this, but I wanted to spend some time on the next call on this topic again. I know we focused on conferencing solutions, the social media strategy. But I think this organization of At Large content was also critical to really make this happen, because even if we get persons involved, I think we can find a way in the ICANN Wiki, or they come to the working group page and they are confused as to where do you go from here.

---

Then it will be a stumbling block. We should [just go back to the 0:52:51] Wiki page and let's look at seeing how we could work on the... Look at ideas improving the organization of content. Okay. And I think I mentioned the ICANN labs as one. We discussed that in the social media strategy call.

Well actually, Lance, if you're on the call and if you're able to speak... I'm sorry. Gordon I thought I saw your hand raised. Go ahead if you want to say something.

GORDON CHILLCOTT: Yeah I did, but I wanted to give – save some time for Lance too. I was just going to ask you, if you could please, put in a mark that to go over – for each of us to go over the At Large content in the action items. Because I have been checking those and that reminds me of things that I should do.

This...

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay...

GORDON CHILLCOTT: ...kind of blank.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. All right. So we issue a call for comments. So the action item would be reissue the call for comments on the ideas for improving

---

organization of At Large content. The action item to be recorded. Okay.  
Thanks Gordon.

Lance, there was some action items assigned to you. Have there been any progress made on these action items?

LANCE HINDS:

No, Dev, my apologies, because of travel and so on. I'm now actually catching up on all outstanding work. So I'm going to ask the group to give me until the next Taskforce meeting, just to go through those again and catch up on things.

Yeah. There are some thoughts that I have in terms of how to approach a couple of those things. I didn't hear, we had put out some time ago – well, I suppose the discussion about the documentation, that can be held up until we actually decide on the tools that we are going to be using.

So I know that is out there as an initial comment. As I said, I'm assuming that we really didn't deal with that because we really haven't decided where we are heading in terms of tools used. But in terms of the items here, the idea here is to now get it done for – at least begin the discussion at the next TTF meeting.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Okay. Thanks Lance. [? 0:55:35] now. Actually it's a good point that you mentioned that, because one of the concerns being raised in terms of organization of content, whether we should introduce or should have sort of like a separate document management system, instead of the

---

Wiki, because what happens is that documents attached to Wiki pages, it is very hard to find such documents afterwards.

That's the challenge. So, yeah. So I should mention that I believe, and ICANN staff has confirmed, that ICANN's IT staff will be updating the Wiki platform confluence to the latest version. I think right now we are running confluence version four, and 4.3, some dot version after 4.3.

And there... I think there is confluence five which is out. And confluence five has some sort of – has a particular tool called Blueprint, where documents can be structured so perhaps with this upgrade that takes place, we look at how this document shows and so forth.

So that's one thing. Let see, what was the other thing? Okay. Well without... We're closing in on the hour. I do want to say something that we probably do need to have two conference calls a month to deal with all of these topics and issues. I'm not counting testing of web conferencing tools or anything like that, but two Technology Taskforce calls because we do have I think so many action items coming up, and we just need to have two calls.

I don't think once per month. We need to have at least every two weeks, so with that I think I want to say that we'll probably have to have a conference call... I think our usually monthly conference call would be September 16<sup>th</sup>, so I'm thinking that perhaps we need to have a conference call on the 2<sup>nd</sup> of September, 2012, 2013. Sorry [laughs].

September 2<sup>nd</sup>, 2013. Sorry?

---

GORDON CHILLCOTT: Dev, you're going to run into another long weekend there. This is Gordon.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Oh, well...

UNIDENTIFIED: [00:58:24]

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: That's not a good day? Okay. Well then what... Well I don't want to move it over to the week of the 9<sup>th</sup> because then we have another meeting on the 16<sup>th</sup>. Would another day during that week, between September 2<sup>nd</sup> and September 6<sup>th</sup> then be appropriate?

I mean, just to move to an appropriate date and time within that space?  
Would that be all right?

UNIDENTIFIED: That sounds reasonable.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. All right. So the action item then would be to, Technology Taskforce to have a conference call – another TTF call during the week of the September 2<sup>nd</sup> to the 6<sup>th</sup>. For a suitable date and time would be sent out. I think we can probably have it at the same time, 15:00 UTC, with just the appropriate day...

---

Date, either from September 10<sup>th</sup>, sorry September 2<sup>nd</sup> to the 6<sup>th</sup>. Okay. All right. Any other... Anybody has any other questions, comments, concerns?

LANCE HINDS: Dev, Lance. I'm looking at the action item, I was looking at the one where we were going to try to put some information on the page for documentation. I think that is pertained to Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Connect. Now, again, if you are weary of – is this something that becomes a... Is this sort of a priority at this point, or should we concentrate on the evaluation of the new tools that we're working on?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I would say yes this is important because if the Adobe Connect is going to be replaced anytime soon...

LANCE HINDS: Okay.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Because I mean, it's not going to be... I mean, we're using Lucid, but it is simply because it's a solution available to groups that want to use it. So I know – tries to use it for our calls. Adobe Connect is still going to be used for our ALAC monthly calls, and I suspect for quite some time in the regular ICANN face to face meetings, etcetera, etcetera, for quite a considerable time since it already has the – well, behind the scenes support for that tool.



---

So I would say yes, that tool, one page is still important.

LANCE HINDS: Okay. No problem. Just checking.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Great. Not a problem. Okay. Thanks Lance. This is Dev. Any other comments? Going once, going twice, going thrice. Okay. Thanks to everyone for the call, to be on the call. And again, make your contributions to comments, questions, suggestions, on the TTF mailing list.

And to our next call will be some time during the week of September 2<sup>nd</sup>, in addition to our regular call on the 16<sup>th</sup>, and on the 26<sup>th</sup> we'll have the Ready Talk demo test. So again, we'll go out and those who want to be on that test, you know, RSVP to staff when that call goes out to staff.

Okay? All right. With that, thank you all very much. This call is adjourned.

[VARIOUS GOODBYES]

[END OF TRANSCRIPT]