
DURBAN – ALAC Policy Discussion - Part I
Tuesday, July 12, 2013 – 11:00 to 13:00
ICANN – Durban, South Africa

CARLTON SAMUELS: Hello everyone. It's the top of the hour. The session is about to begin.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Again, good morning again to all of you. This is the ALAC policy discussion part one. We are going to be here for two hours, until 13:00. The agenda is up on the page. Welcome those of you who are joining us online or remotely. My name is Carlton Samuels, I'm Vice-Chair of the ALAC, and I will be chairing this session.

The first item on the agenda is the report from the new gTLD working group, and the chair of the working group is Avri. Is Avri here? Evan is doing that. Sit.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Hi there. This is Evan Leibovitch for the record. I'm now co-chair of the gTLD working group. There is not much to report right now. Right now, there is an objection process that is sort of going along at whatever speed it is going.

And Dev if you want to add to that, but I think right now things are just at hand, we're waiting for the process to unfold. One of the things that we are going to be continuing to monitor is the situation with the public interest commitments, and to see how they are implemented.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

It seems like through the conversations we've been having earlier with the Board and with the ATRT, that how these things are ruled out, how the enforcement is done, how they will be evaluated, is going to be an ongoing thing.

And the committee is going to be actively monitoring this to make sure that ALAC is involved with the public interest issues involved with the picks.

CARLTON SAMUELS:

Thank you. Is there anything else to add? Tijani is up and then Dev Anand Teelucksingh afterwards.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you Carlton. Tijani speaking. May I speak French so that our friends, interpreters will appreciate that I speak French from time to time? Very well. This is absolutely true what was said by Evan.

I absolutely agree. There is something else, there is the training that we started and we finished it. The question was, what are we going to do with it? I'm not saying that we reached consensus, we didn't try to reach a consensus, but for the ones who expressed themselves, we think that it has to go to ALAC and ALAC should decide on what we should do regarding that work.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

....wanted to respond to that. I'm not in a situation where I can respond immediately. But this is – you're right, it does need to come back to

ALAC and there might be a need for some remedial work. I'll bring this back to the working group for further word. Thanks.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Thank you Evan. Now to Dev.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. Dev Anand Teelucksingh speaking. Just to give an update regarding the objection process. As you know, the ALAC ultimately found three objections against three of the applicants for the dot health string. Those were, dot Health Limited, dot Health LLC, and Goose Fest LLC.

The ALAC objections team has been created. [Set-tres 0:10:57] is the Chair of that objections team, and myself, Rinalia, and Olivier are on the ALAC objections team. So far, the process is now underway with ICC the opportunity to handling the objection process.

And we are now at the stage where both the applicant, actually all of the applicants have responded. The applicants and the objections team agreed that we can consolidate the objections, so that is heard by one panel, which is an one person panel.

That panel has now been announced within the last week to be, well to be constituted. And, well, we're now at the stage where the panel is now going to [? 0:11:52] and review all objection statements and the applicant responses.

I should note that within the past 24 hours, one of the applicants for dot health has withdrawn its application, that is dot Health Limited, that's it.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Thank you Dev. Did the applicant give information about reasons for it?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: This is Dev Anand Tellucksingh speaking. No. All we have is the notification on the new gTLD application status page, just says status withdrawn.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Evan?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Sorry. So just to clarify Dev, we only have two outstanding objection processes that we're working on? Or is the withdraw the one that we didn't object to?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Dot Health Limited was one of the applicants that we found an objection against, so we now have... So we have two more objections, sorry two objections against the two remaining applicants, which is – bring up the list again, sorry.

Dot Health LLC and Goose Fest LLC.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Thank you Dev. I think we have Yaovi next.

YAOVI ATOHOUN:

[French 0:13:15]... I'm going to speak in French as well. And I do agree with what Tijani said. There is a subgroup which did work, a document, came up with a document to talk about the possible causes of the lack of success of the new domain names in developing countries.

My personal opinion is that our level it is difficult to really know why it didn't work out so well with those domain names. And we started work... We have document, basic document, and this subgroup should work on this inquiry and come up with a document.

We already starting with a document, and I hope that at ALAC, we're going to dig deeper in that document and agree on the content of this document. What we have to ask people, who should we ask people – where should we ask those questions to get more information, to receive more information, when there is a new program that is being launched, we have to make sure that it is going to be successful.

And I hope that ALAC is going to be able to bring it of importance to this project in way to inquire why we didn't reach success, how we're going to deal with that in the future when we meet again, when the subgroup meets again regarding domain names. We have to talk about that.

CARLTON SAMUELS:

Thank you. Sala, you're next.

SALA TAMANIKAIWAIMARO:

Thank you. Sala Tamanikaiwaimaro for the transcript. Very quickly, on the in the *Washington Post* yesterday, can you hear me? This is like loud in my own ear. Very quickly. In the *Washington Post* yesterday,

there was – this is in relation to what Yaovi had just articulated, there was mention of an application by someone from a developing country, who is known to us, who is a significant member, for At-Large community.

And who failed to get the necessary support that he could have had access to. And let the transcript reflect that this was in relation to dot internet. As far as I've been made aware, and from indications by the article in *Washington Post*, there has been no appropriate responses relating to him.

And despite numerous letters to the GAC, numerous letters to ICANN, there has been no significant response. And in relation to what Yaovi had mentioned, particularly in terms of applicants from developing countries, this is a serious concern and something which the ALAC would do very well to keep in mind. Thank you.

CARLTON SAMUELS:

Thank you Sala. I'll come to you Dev in a minute, just let me respond to that. For those of you who might not know, I've actually forwarded it, the story from the *Washington Post* to the ExCom. For those of you who might not be aware of it, the issue was the dot internet.

Most of you know [see-vas 0:16:48] from ISOC in there, so ALS and the Asia Pacific region, there has been a lot of controversy around the issue of application for restraint. He had also applied for applicant support, and the support was not granted as we know. He has filed for reconsideration.

The reconsideration, the Board gTLD committee looked at it and decided that there was not – it was not substantive and so they refused to take it any further. He has also filed an objection with the ombudsman. The ombudsman thought it was out of his hands to do anything, and so there has been a whole series of actions that have taken place around that application.

It's regrettable, and this is me speaking now, that [see-vas] – it came to that point. But with respect to the rules, and with respect to the process, there is always something we can say about what the rules say and what the process is. I just wanted to know that it was probably regrettable that we got to that place.

Having said that, Matt move on to the next person, Dev you're up.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. Dev Anand Teelucksingh speaking. Well actually, excellent summary. I was about to probably say something to that effect. And of course, the controversy was that it wasn't for the application for internet, it was application for [tree a lot 0:18:49] string, which was dot IDN.

And that was the, well controversy was that I thought IDN was one of the ISO 3166 dash tree for Indonesia and therefore was not eligible to be, well to be considered to be a string that could be approved. And it was, well, a change request to try to change it at that late stage.

But as you have summarized, that –knows, so that's it.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Thank you Dev for that addition, yes. Is there any other comment for the new gTLD working group? None? Thank you Tijani you have the floor.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you. Just a question on the process. This is a question regarding the process. Now that Avri, does it work as much at the head of the working group, I think that Evan should take it, the matter in his own hands and I think Evan should play a bigger role.

We need absolutely to go forward, to move forward and to do a lot. We have some very big issues with the new gTLDs, and that's all I wanted to say.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Thank you Tijani. That is indeed, most of you would probably know that the leadership of the working group, there's been a little transition. Evan has stepped up and has agreed to be co-chair of this working group.

We know that Evan is a workhorse and there is a lot of stuff that needs to be done. So I'm endorsing what Tijani says. There is some big issues that still remain for us to agree, and the working group is probably the best place to get most of those framed. Evan?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: By the way, the change, if you would, is not a matter of Avri's lack of interest, but her current participation on the current ATRT 2. So it's

just, for instance at this particular time, it's pulled her away from us. And so it's not due to a lack of interest.

And so when it comes to the calls and the mailing list, she'll still be there. It's just there are times where she can't be there, so I've offered to step up. Tijani in terms of what you said, I agree. In terms of me personally, this is a matter – I mean, I'm not the working group.

I certainly give you my word what I can to drive it. As you know, I put a lot of work into all of this as well, and I'm very upset at the way things have turned out. So you have my assurance that we will do what we can to push it.

In terms of doing the research to find out why things didn't work, if we just go back, Yaovi back to staff and say, "Why didn't it work?" They will go, hm? Sorry that doesn't translate very well [laughter]. But... So we're going to have to do our best to try and figure out why it didn't work.

We may not have all the resources to do it, we'll just do the best we can and try and anticipate a future rounds come out, of how we can learn from what's happened and to try and make it better. Thanks.

CARLTON SAMUELS:

Thank you Evan. Any other comment for the new gTLD working group? Any issue that you want to bring forward? We had them down for 25 past the hour, we still have a few minutes allocated to them.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Carlton, sorry this is Evan. Part of the issue right now, there isn't really a whole lot because we're sort of in a bit of a transitional period in that, the work has been done on applicant support. We are not in any rush to come up with the forensics on the new programs since a new round is not likely to happen for a while.

At the same time, on the objection process, we go at the speed that it is driven, and we don't have much control over that. So that explains sort of the lack of activity exactly at the current time, especially as other things have consumed the energy.

It is not that it is reduced in priority, it's simply that in terms of volunteer time, at this moment, it does not appear at the top of the list.

CARLTON SAMUELS:

Thank you Evan.

SALA TAMANIKAIWAIMARO:

Sala Tamankaiwaimaro for the transcripts. Since we have time, I thought I'd just point out that the concern that I have for the applicant in relation to insufficient information being relayed back to him. For those who may be interested in evidentiary or clear documentary trail, I invite you to visit Name Shop.

Name Shop dot IN, and you will see a detailed list of correspondences that have gone to and fro. So it is Name Shop dot IN. Thank you.

CARLTON SAMUELS:

Thank you Sala. Tijani, you have the floor.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you. As – responding to Evan, yes you’re right. Perhaps we’ll have an upcoming round very soon, but we are advocating and we are pushing toward a dedicated round.

And this is something we have to work on very hard and very seriously. I think this is the way to overcome the situation. We would have the other – the upcoming round, the regular upcoming round for... We try to make them inclusive.

But before that, we need to overcome this situation which is catastrophic.

CARLTON SAMUELS:

Yes sir. I totally agree with you that it was not what we had expected, and we have to continue to do whatever we have to do to ensure that at least the objectives that we have come together at some point. So I totally support that position, and I’m going to move to Fatimata.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA:

Thank you very much Carlton. Fatimata Seye Sylla from AFRALO. I would like to say that, the request – I know that it’s an important problem that are to deal with regarding these requests. There was a request that was rejected coming from Africa, and that created a lot of frustration.

And it was due to maybe a lack of training, maybe a lack of understanding regarding the preparation of the request. But what can we offer here? Reinforce capacity building. What can we do so that the

next time around, when there is another request, that it's not automatically rejected so that we have less frustration?

So that we don't hear, "Oh yes, come up with some requests." But if requests are not well liked, while they are quickly rejected that's really a shame, and I can more clearly tell you what happened. That's what I wanted to say.

CARLTON SAMUELS: ... I see Tijani and then after that Evan, and we have five minutes left.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I'm sorry Fatimata to disagree with you. It wasn't because there is a lack of capacity building or of comprehension. It was because of the criteria we put. The criteria we put was interpreted by the [Sap 0:27:48] so as this application was rejected. So what I said in the presentation I made yesterday at the round table, I said that we need to review those criteria so that we're ensure that criteria will not be gamed, but also to ensure that the right application will be accepted.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Thank you Tijani. Evan?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Thanks. Fatimata, I'm going to respond to your question with a question. Personally my problem is not that we had a 33% success rate, my problem is that we only started with three applications. So the process, the [sarp 0:28:36] process, the vetting process, was not

necessarily the problem, the problem was that there was so few total applications coming in.

And so, I'm going to respond personally as someone involved with the working group, and ask for the help of you, and you, and you, and anybody else. Part of the problem is, is we don't even know who considered applying but didn't because the obstacles were too high.

We only know about the applications. We don't know about, were there parties in the developing world that may have been interested, but had too many obstacles, that had too many problems? Is there a way to document to get the testimony of organizations that had considered coming in that were interested in getting TLDs, but were dissuaded or turned away because of very...

Was it because of the criteria? Was it because even the subsidized amount was too high? What were the problems that kept them from participating? This to me is an important part of answering the question.

Whether it was a matter of outreach, did ICANN make an effort to publicize this? We know of the problems with that. What we don't... We don't know what we don't know, and so what I'm going to answer back to three of you and to the rest of the community involved with this, is to help us collect the research, help us collect the information that will allow us to make an informed advice to ALAC and from ALAC higher going forward.

And to get this, we need to find out from those people that encountered the obstacles so that we can identify them. Thank you.

CARLTON SAMUELS:

Thank you Evan. I just wanted to add that I think there is where the problem is, and that's what I am four square for, finding a way to find out whether or not the point of entry was set to high, whatever.

Because I really think that that's where we need to go to figure out what we should do to be more inclusive. Tijani, you have the last word on this.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you Carlton. For your information, Evan, more or less address your question, but I will be more direct and I will tell you there was, there were applicants that wanted to apply but was – they didn't do because they know that if the ISOC decide that they are not eligible, they will not be allowed to apply anymore.

And this is one of the obstacles, one of the barriers. There are others, and the other barriers are more or less addressed for your information.

CARLTON SAMUELS:

Thank you Tijani. We are going to continue working this issue through the new gTLD working group, as Evan says, we are in listening mode and we hope to hear more from all of you, so that we can get to the bottom of the situation.

So now we move to the next item on the agenda, it's the Academy Working Group update. And I see that Sandra Hoferichter is here. Sandra you have the floor.

SANDRA HOFERICHTER: Thank you Carlton. Sandra Hoferichter speaking. We had our Academy working group meeting already yesterday, during the lunch break, it was very good attended the first time and some of the people had to leave because of conflicting sessions and conflicting schedules.

The Academy group is currently working on two tasks. One is the integration of the online learning platform which is currently under development by ICANN staff. And the other task is to work on the development or on the creation of the first pilot leadership training program to be held in Buenos Aires at our next ICANN meeting.

Yesterday we got an update from Nora and Chris from ICANN staff on the development of the online – it's not online education platform anymore, it's now called online learning platform. We got an update. We were told that they choose Moodle as the open source tool for their efforts, which was, in my point of view, a good decision because Moodle was already proposed by our working group sometimes like one year ago by [? 0:33:54] and by Glenn.

So I think this decision finds support in our working group. If you are interested to learn more about the online learning platform, there will be a session tomorrow at 2 PM, it is also mentioned in the schedule, ICANN online learning initiative.

And I encourage everybody who is interested to find out more about the online education platform, how it's going to function and so on and so forth, to attend this session. The challenge for the working group is now to link the online learning platform with the ICANN Academy frame, because of course the online learning platform is not the ICANN Academy.

The ICANN Academy is supposed to be much more, and the online learning platform is a part of it, an integral part, an important part, but it's a part of it and somehow the windows and the blank sheet of paper, all the constituencies, all the stakeholder group should bring in their knowledge.

And what I should use for their internal capacity building. So our task or our challenge at the moment is to reach out to all the stakeholder groups to ensure that all the things they consider to be important are going to be integrated in the online education – online learning platform.

And that we can already... Or the aim is to already have test drive for the pilot leadership program in Buenos Aries. This brings me to our second task, they are still somehow in the waiting mode. If our request or proposal is going to be confirmed that we are going to have the pilot in Buenos Aries, but it's almost sure I was told that we will be successful and we will have the first pilot leadership program there.

And we are now going to start preparation, the planning process, we wrote the curriculum, reach out for trainers, reach out for participants, and so on and so forth. I think that there will be a lot of work to be done between now and Buenos Aries. And after Buenos Aries, or during the ICANN meeting in Buenos Aries, I can probably give you a first review or a first summary of how it went and what the next steps are for this Academy working group, which I consider will be according to how the pilot is going on.

We will define our next tasks then. That's from my side. If there are any questions I would be happy to answer here or elsewhere.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Thank you Sandra. Garth and then Holly.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. Garth Bruen. I just have a really quick coordination issue. There is some complaints from the remote views that they can't see the speakers, and I guess there is a problem with the camera but I think the camera can just be manually moved. Can we do that? Yeah. Okay. All right.

EDUARDO DIAZ: This is Eduardo. I have seen it move, but it takes like a long time.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Okay [laughter].

MATT ASHTANI: Hi this is Matt for the record. The web cam is actually... I understand we can tilt it right now, I get that, but the web cam is actually internet controlled, and there is some local issues with the ISP, so we can't actually do it.

So I can go over there and manually shift it towards someone, but after that, that's it.

CARLTON SAMUELS: No. I think we have to go with what we have now Matt. That's too much bother. No but you want to see me, and then they don't see

anybody else over there. [Laughter] And thank you Evan, that was a great feat of engineering, I'll tell you that right now. [Laughter]

Next up we have Holly.

HOLLY: Sandra, just a question. Do you actually some input from ALSs to what they would like to see in the leadership program? Do you want that kind of feedback?

SANDRA HOFERICHTER: I think for the Academy working group and for the Academy framework, it is definitely important to get that input. I think the capacity building working group is the right place to collect this information, and then implement it in either the online learning platform or the Academy framework.

But I think the single elements are going to be developed by each stakeholder group themselves, and they would later just [be] edited to the framework. The Academy group is working on one module, which is the pilot leadership program because this is an overarching, or a cross-constituency model which will be equally used by all constituency, or should be equally used by all constituencies.

But any specific program which is applying or which is designed for a special community should be developed by the community, and should be later on only implemented.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Thank you Sandra. Fatimata, you're next.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Thank you. Fatimata speaking. Okay, my question here has something to do with Holly's question. It is related to the input, to the current input of the different RALOs. I know that the RALOs are represented in the working group, and first I want to congratulate you Sandra for the work you made.

But I'm wondering maybe another address could be [? 0:40:52] – another way of addressing this problems could be made for this first module. For example, each group could try to test the way it works to see if there are some inputs that the regions can make.

I understand that for specific requests, each group has to work with that. But in a general way, I think regarding the way it is done, the concept, the material that we are offering, it's just a question that I'm asking.

But I'm thinking that if we didn't work like that, we could change the way we work to improve what we will make in Buenos Aries. Thank you.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Thank you Fatimata. Tijani? And then we'll go back to Garth.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. Thank you Carlton. Tijani speaking. I would like to speak in French, but I will speak English because I want everyone to understand

what I will say. It is [laughter] yes, yes. No, no, no. No, no. No, no, no. But it... Because some of you don't use the headphone and what I will say is very important.

I think that there is a big confusion regarding the ICANN Academy. We need to be clear that the ICANN Academy is the global framework for any learning effort in ICANN. What is the online platform? It is a tool that the Academy would use.

What is the pilot program? It is one action that the ICANN Academy will implement. So, please try to see the ICANN Academy as the global framework for the learning effort. We need the... Fatimata asked the question, because she thinks that the leadership program, the pilot program, must be discussed or must be, if you want – we have to ask for comments from everyone about it.

This pilot program is asked by the staff. The staff wanted to do this. We didn't decide it, we are asked to do it. So they want to do a capacity program for the newcomer, the leadership newcomers. So this is a specific requirement, and we tried to fulfill this requirement.

As a global framework, the ICANN Academy will include a tool, the online tool, but we use any other tool. We will use the face to face capacity building and education. We will use the webinars. We will use the podcast. We will use any kind of tool for capacity building for learning. That's all.

CARLTON SAMUELS:

Thank you Tijani. And back to... Sandra, do you want to respond to that? And then I'll let Garth and then we come to Mercy.

SANDRA HOFERICHTER: It's Sandra speaking. I agree with Tijani, and the case he is describing the different elements, the Academy as the framework, the online education platform as a tool, and the pilot leadership program as one module. I disagree with one point that the pilot is requested by ICANN staff because it was our proposal to, which was sent into the budget request and so it's not requested by ICANN staff but indeed we will collaborate with staff in order to organize this because as a volunteer, you don't have the capacity to organize a training program for 25 plus people.

[Laughter] it's a correction on this only.

CARLTON SAMUELS: I'm going to Heidi a chance to...

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi for the record. Just another quick fact, it wasn't... It's not coming through as an AC SO request, it's coming through as an additional... We were submitting the proposal in general. So it's basically....

When the Board approves the budget for fiscal year 14, it will be officially approved. It was proposed, it was put in, and it has not been taken out. That's what I can say at this point.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Thank you Heidi. Garth? All right. Thank you Garth. So we move to Mercy [? 0:46:09] and I come to you, but Mercy [? 0:46:12].

MERCY:

Hi. I'm Mercy [? 0:46:15] from [? 0:46:16]. My question is on the online learning platform. I intended to ask Nora, but unfortunately yesterday I wasn't given an opportunity to do so, so I don't know if Sandra will answer my question.

Nora, yesterday, she mentioned that the online learning platform, the content would be just basic knowledge about ICANN. So I wanted to ask, will the content go beyond the basics? Because I'm afraid if it's only the basics, maybe it can be a statement to, that is for newcomers what about for those at ICANN? How can they learn more? That's it.

CARLTON SAMUELS:

Sandra do you want to – quick response?

SANDRA HOFERICHTER:

It's a question, and I would like to answer this question. They will start to populate the online learning platform with the basic knowledge about ICANN. There will be also specific modules about specific ICANN projects or programs like the new gTLD program, or whatever we will face in the future.

Those specific modules are going to be developed by the community, or in cooperation with the community. So to say that, for instance, security or stability issues will be developed in close cooperation with the respective stakeholder group, the SSEC or RSSEC. So they will start with the basic things, which are more or less already there, but they will

involve or the online learning platform will involve and even also provide specific tools.

I would recommend you to go to the session tomorrow, because Nora and Chris will be able to give you a better answer than I can at the moment, how the timeframe is going to be to develop the learning platform.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Thank you Sandra. We go to Yaovi.

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Yaovi speaking. I have two short questions, but the second one depends on the answer from one the answer from the first one. The leadership program will be done in how many languages? When the answer, I go – I'll continue.

SANDRA HOFERICHTER: In English only.

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Yeah, that's very important. That was what I was expecting. Because... I was thinking about a project having one worldwide language in maybe 100 years, so... But at some point, it's a good answer because if you don't pay attention, translation sometimes we waste time and then we don't interact.

I'm glad that in the group, I'm sorry I was not there, we came up with the conclusion that it will be only one language, so that the various

groups send in people, it will encourage them to find the best people. And then it will be also something that will... Ask people to learn English...

Because we need to communicate. The translator, they are doing a lot of work, the interpreter please, they are doing a lot of work and they have to rest sometimes. And then when they close, sometimes we cannot continue the meeting. So I think the group for this aspect, that is what I wanted to know. Thank you.

CARLTON SAMUELS:

Thank you Yaovi. Are there any other questions? I see no hands up. Any other issue any one of you might want to take up with the chair of the Academy working group? No? Okay. Well, we are on time and we're on track.

The next item on the agenda is the ALAC IDN working group, and we see Edmon Chung and Rinalia Abdul Rahim as responsible for it. Rinalia is ready, Edmon is probably on his way. So I turn it over to Rinalia.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM:

Thank you Carlton. Can I have my slides please? It's coming? Okay. I am. Carlos is. Oh, okay. So it's up right? Can we see it on the full screen? No? Okay. So you're going to help Carlos? Okay. Just next slide please.

Okay. This is the update from the At-Large IDN working group. I apologize for Edmon's absence, I'm sure he will try to make it if he can, otherwise I will try to fill in the blanks. So from Beijing to Durban, the

working group has basically focused on three statements, two of which have been submitted to the Board as formal advice from the ALAC.

The first statement was on Trademark Clearinghouse and IDN variance, the second one is on implementation of IDN variant top level domains, and the last one, which is still under comments and will most likely be voted upon by ALAC members on Thursday is, a statement on the draft final report on universal acceptance IDN TLDs.

Now, the first two statements that we've submitted to the Board, they are quite – they are on somewhat complex matters. Whenever we talk about IDN variance, the issue is not just about policy it is about technicality of it. And it's quite challenging to have a really good understanding of the issues.

And what I would really like is to have more members of the IDN working group contributing, and I would be really pleased to have this. Next slide please. Key events in Durban that you may want to participate in if you're interested in the IDN issues. There is a joint implementation group on IDN involving ccNSO and GNSO, that was yesterday, Monday.

Today is Tuesday right? Yes. Okay. The next one is the IDN working group meeting which is going to be on Wednesday. This is in this room from four until – okay, that's the wrong time. From four until 5:30. And then there is the ICANN IDN variant program update that's going to happen on Thursday, 11 to 12:30 in room 4AB.

So if you want to know about ICANN's IDN variant program, you go to this program update then you will have sort of like an overview

understanding of where ICANN is at in terms of their projects under this program. Next.

I would like to flag a collaboration between APRALO and ICANN. I think the first time, since I've been on the ALAC, that we have this collaboration on a workshop at the IGF. Because before this, any kind of workshop that the RALOs would be doing, they would be doing it on their own. But this is a joint initiative between ICANN, the organization, and APRALO on this very important topic which is what's next on IDNs, linguistic diversity in the internet root.

And it falls under the theme of the internet as an engine of growth and development with APRALO and ICANN as the joint organizers. And I'm using a rather innovative format for this workshop, where we have an expert panel and we have an end user expert panel, or a response panel.

And we are quite lucky because we have top people in the expert panel. Can we go to the next slide? So you will see that in terms of the technical experts, we have [rumble hun 0:54:34] who is the chair of the ICANN Board IDN variance working group. We have Patrik Fälström who is the chair of SSAC. We have Sarmad Hussein who is a leading linguistic expert from Pakistan.

We have Raymond [Doctor 0:54:49] from India who led the effort on [? 0:54:53]. [Sarmat 0:54:54] is an expert on Arabic script. And of course, we have Edmon who is chair of our IDN working group. On the internet end user representatives, we have Mohamed El Bashir, who is from AFRALO, but he is going to provide a response on the Arab script.

[? 0:55:09], who we all know, from China will comment on the Han script, or the Chinese language. And Satish Babu who is sitting here, I wish he would sit up front with us, is going to comment on the Indic languages.

And if anyone from our community is going to be at the IDF, I highly urge you to participate. This will be a good opportunity to again try to have an understanding of what's going on real innovation in internet development, expanding linguistic diversity at the root level. Never been done before, and it's quite challenging technically. And there are serious security and stability issues.

But to the extent that we can have linguistic diversity, we are going to push for it. Next. I think that's the end of it. If you have any questions, I will try to field them. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Yeah, this is Eduardo Diaz for the record. I just want to understand when you say linguistics, what does that mean within this context?

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM:

Linguistic diversity just means the languages that are available in the world. And there are two parameters. Yesterday we had a meeting with the SSAC, and Patrik basically described, there are two parameters when we're dealing with this.

It's languages and scripts. And when we're dealing with TLDs, which is what this discussion is about, it is about the script itself. For example, what they call the Han script, officially, is shared between the Chinese

language, the Japanese language, and also implicates the Korean language.

And the Arabic language, for example, the Arabic script is shared amongst the various nations that speak Arabic, and they're not necessarily the same. So in trying to put a TLD in multi-lingual scripts in the root, it's really challenging because you actually have to have an already defined definition of what the label should be and what the variant should be, and that's the complicated aspect of it that requires Unicode experts, IDN-A experts, DNS experts, linguistics experts, and those who are expert in character rendering.

And so when you hear updates from ICANN on the root LGR process, that's what they're going to basically address, and there is going to be experts from the five categories that I mentioned who is going to review proposals that are coming from language communities from around the world, who is going to say, "Well, I would like my language to be represented in the internet root so that we can have a TLD in my language script."

So these communities will make a proposal, and the panel of experts, called the integration panel, will look at the proposal and say yes or no. And their decision is final. But based on that decision, you can go back and revise it. Hopefully you can get a better decision afterwards if you address all the concerns that may affect security and stability of the internet.

But if they say no, that's it because we all want a stable and secure root. Edmon is here. Edmon would you like to say a few words?

EDMON CHUNG:

I think you covered it pretty well. So sorry for joining late, I was tied up in another meeting. But no, I think that's a very important update. And in terms of the generation panels, ICANN has already issued a call, you probably have covered that.

But I think, from the ALAC and also from our ALS, I think we should encourage them to get started sooner rather than later, so that the breadth of the issue could be considered because as... I don't know whether you mentioned this, but one of the things that ALAC had been raising, and Rinalia obviously, is the – if you're late to the game, it is – there is a potential that it could be disadvantaged, because the integration panel wants to make a decision, it could affect your script or language.

And you will really want to be there in the beginning so that as the integration panel considers all the different languages, those nuisances could be considered. So just that addition.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM:

Thanks Edmon. And one more thing I want to add to that is just to clarify for you, the process is a two panel process. So communities make proposal to the expert panel, right? And the community panels are all of these language panels.

And the thing is that if your language or script is shared with other communities, then what you propose has to be weighed against the proposals of the other communities that share your script. So it's not just what you want, it's also about what the other communities want.

And the expert panel has to consider the security and stability ramifications of that, and what you might end up with is actually a rather constraint TLD label, or diversity at the root, but hopefully you will get something.

CARLTON SAMUELS: You said constrained, I was wondering if you couldn't think convergence, less... So thank you Rinalia. I see Tijani than Yaovi and then Sala.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Merci... Thank you Carlton. Well, what I like to tell Rinalia is that the Arab language, it's the same for all Arab people. The official language is the same, and the spoken languages are the same. The Arab people use the same script so there is no problem for the IDN.

The problem we have that is that the Arab script has some common characters with [other 1:01:30] language and Farsi language from Iran, and those two languages use scripts that they're pronounced in a different way. That is the problem we have, and that is where we have a variant problem that you know about I think. Thank you.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Thank you. And that's part of the complexity that the generation panels have to deal with. And Carlton earlier asked whether or not the different language generation panels could be converged if they're dealing with the same script.

You have to do your individual work first based on your script, and then you can also then have a converged ones to work out your issues, because you have to work on your – the characters of your language, and you have to cover the whole thing to develop a repertoire, what they call a repertoire.

And once you have a repertoire, then you have to identify what are the variant characters and what are the rules that apply to the application of those variant characters in the TLD label. It's quite... It's interesting, quite challenging.

It requires a lot of patience to follow this process. And I understand that it can also be quite political because everyone is passionate about their language. But as we go into this process, I think what we would like to see in the ALAC is community engagement, if you would like your language represented in terms of a TLD string, then make sure that your language is represented by what they call a generation panel.

And have a little bit of patience for the security and stability considerations that the expert has to look at in terms of the proposals. Thank you.

CARLTON SAMUELS:

Thank you Rinalia. We now next have Yaovi.

YAOVI ATOHOUN:

Yaovi speaking. Edmon just said some of my concerns, and I thank Rinalia and Edmon for their patience. And what they are doing... All the

time... I have a question, is it the mandate of this group to be sure that all of the communities the concern – considered.

Because you used to make cause, you used to sit at... There are some homework that need to be done. So who has the money to be sure that they are doing their homework? Because no good, as you said, the group is working and some people are left.

So the [tier 1:03:54] question, how can you ensure that what you are doing, there is a call – you have all of the communities language taken care of? So are you... How can you ensure that one? I know that you are calling people, you care calling for volunteer people who have – they have to do their homework.

But how can you be sure that in two years someone – we are not going to say that this community is left, we are not consider this very important matter. So how are you dealing with that issue?

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM:

Thank you Yaovi for the question. It's quite relevant, it is a concern. I wish you would specify who the you is, but I will to try address that and Edmon will also add on to it. It... I'm sorry. Oh. Speak louder. Okay.

Of course we would like all language of the world to be represented, right? But in order to proceed on this process, nobody has the responsibility actually. ICANN sees its responsibility as, we have this process and we have announced it, therefore it is up to the ones that want it to self-mobilize and develop the panels themselves.

And in our community, I was really pleased to hear that Satish is going to initiate one generation panel on [? 1:05:15], which is one of the 22 Indic languages. And I know that the... For the Han script, the Chinese are definitely ready and they have a collaboration, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean. So they are the most ready to advance.

And in ICANN, because they've done six case studies on Arabic, on Han, Greek, Cyrillic, Latin, and I'm missing one more. So, sorry, Sala to [? 1:05:47]. So at least for the case studies that have been done, people have started engaging so we have a certain level of confidence. Generation panels will be formed on this.

But for the other communities, we need to raise their awareness that this is happening, and that is one of the objectives of having that workshop at the IGF. But other than that, I mean you have to help spread the word. And when that happens, it's not just anyone who can comprise the generation panel.

You have to have people that understand Unicode, the characters and language characters and so on. But you as an interest at policy party can also participate, there is nothing limiting you from doing that. But the people who are making the proposal must have the knowledge to actually do that. Edmon?

EDMON CHUNG:

Yeah. Just to add to that, two important things. One if that if we want sort of a guarantee that all languages and all language communities needs to be heard and understood before we move ahead, that's probably not realistic. And also, in the design of the system, that is not

a good design because if you leave out something, then you have a problem.

So in terms of the design right now, there is actually a safeguard. The safeguard in the integration panel. One of the things that the integration panel does is to take a look at the generation panel, like the language proposal, and one of the things to do is to take a look at all the other languages and see if there are potential overlap with the script or the use of the alphabet or characters.

And go back to the generation panel and say, “Hey, have you considered these other languages and what their views are?” The reason why, even though with the safeguard, the reason why we are I guess asking people to come and participate early, is because the safeguard is done by, let’s say linguistic generalists. So they are experts, but in a general sense.

So they know probably these characters have, or these few languages, but they might not be understanding all the nuances. So they may be doing a good safeguard just in case, for the worst cases, but they may not be doing things that are in the best interests of that particular community.

So they may have done something to protect, but it might not be enough. So with the language community participating earlier, those nuances could be considered as well. So there is some safeguard, but at the same time, if the language community can participate early, it is obviously better.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Thank you Edmon. Can I go to Sala? She's been waiting patiently. Sala, you have the floor.

SALA TAMANIKAIWAIMARO: Thank you very much Carlton. Sala Tamaikiwaimaro for the transcripts. In my other head, as one of the co-chairs of the Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus, there is a general animosity in relation to what is generally perceived by a significant portions of the global community of US unilateral control over the root zone.

And so in relation to the context of lingual diversity and the IDNs, this is certainly an advancement and a stepping stone for inclusion of the world's populace. Having said that, I would really like to warmly congratulate you, Rinalia and Edmon, for taking significant steps to negotiate with ICANN.

And you must be commended in having a workshop that will bridge, help to bridge this gap between ICANN and the global community. And perhaps correct some of the general misperceptions that are out there. The second point that I would like to make was, and this is in relation to a comment that I made on a previous session, in the gTLD session that was chaired by Carlton with Evan giving an update.

In relation to [Siva's 1:10:11] application, his business case was to offer ASCII domain name for every registrant of internationalized domain name. Now the issue with... What I would like for the ALAC to consider is that, in the event – not so much in the event. There is documentary trail to show that there has be no proper communication to him in

relation to some substantive reasons for his application not following through and that sort of thing.

So my concern is this, is whether the objection to his application was based on the security and technical aspect or whether it was an economic decision. Now if it was an economic decision, therein lies my worry and that would be catapulted by the concern I'd raised in the previous session as well. And with that, thank you Carlton.

CARLTON SAMUELS:

Thank you Sala. We... Rinalia you wanted to... Any other questions? I thought you wanted to say something... Okay. So are there any other questions for the working group? We still have a few minutes to go on it. Well, can I say this? Tijani says I'm speaking English so that you can understand, everybody thought it was funny but in this case it really is because it speaks to the issue.

I salute those who are working on this. You have my gratitude because I wouldn't know where to start with this. It's a very complex issue. It is fascinating to me and I've been keeping a watching brief all along, but Edmon, Rinalia, Edmon has been in the valley a long time working on this.

You really have... I salute you sir. I salute you for keeping at this because this is a very complex issue. It's interesting to me as a single – speak one language, and as I tell my colleagues all of the time, when you speak more than one language to me, you are much better than I am because you get yourself understood twice as much as I would [laughs].

So I am very, very pleased to hear Tijani say, “I will speak in English so you can understand.” He was speaking to me [laughs].

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

You know Carlton, why you don’t want to be in this kind of work? Because you speak in English. Your native language is English, so you don’t need the IDN. We are very interested and very – how to say? We have patient to this IDN, because it give the opportunity to our community to have equal change to use the internet. That’s why.

CARLTON SAMUELS:

I totally understand sir, that is why I’m telling you, you have my gratitude for keeping this up. It’s a very complex issue, and I get fascinated by listening to it. I know character set, and I know what it means, and so on.

But the details of it, and how much work has gone into it, I really think it should be emphasized that this is human’s task. And for people who have been in it for two or three years, it is really something to applaud. Rinalia.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM:

Thank you Carlton. This is Rinalia again for the transcript. Just a few random points. Tijani in Malaysia and Indonesia, we use the Arabic script for our own language, which is not Arabic. So that’s an interesting dimension of the Arabic script itself.

On the complexity of the whole IDN variance thing, this is certainly true. I’ve certainly experienced the challenge of going into a meeting room

and really not getting what was being discussed. Edmon certainly was an expert since he was in diapers, but I had to take up this topic [laughs] and when I came up into the ALAC and the ExCom asked me to take on this portfolio.

And so watching brief, and I've tried my best, and it would be good to have reinforcement from community members who are experts in this area, because that would reinforce our effort. One thing that I wanted to say is that the ALAC and the At-Large have been advocating for IDNs, but we must not forget that we must also advocate for universal acceptance of IDN and IDN variant.

Because without the universal acceptance policies and mechanisms, you won't get the IDN even though you have the labels, and the screens, and whatever not. Yes. Okay. Thank you very much.

CARLTON SAMUELS:

Thank you Rinalia. I want to close off this session, so if there are no other issues, concerns that we might have, or want to put to the experts here, perhaps we attend to the next session and that is D on the screen there, capacity building working group. And we have the chairs, Sala, I won't even pretend to pronounce the last one.

But Sala you know we love you. You have the floor.

SALA TAMANIKAIWAIMARO:

Thank you Carlton. Yes, I have all the letters of the alphabet in my name [laughs], just kidding. Sala Tamanikaiwaimaro for the transcript. First of

all, good afternoon everyone. And for those who are streaming in, good morning, good evening, good night, wherever you are.

And we recognize that you have been patient, and even for me this is probably – like four AM or something, and I’m struggling with jet lag, and trying to keep awake, so I can imagine what you must be going through.

First of all, I like to acknowledge the presence of the members of the steering committee of this working group who are here. Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Tijani who is there, and also Carlos who is not here. So the steering committee in effect oversees, has oversight of this capacity building group. And we are very enabling assisted by Carlos Reyes, who is also present, who has done amazing work in terms of support for the working group.

And in essence, the working group is comprised of members of various RALOs. So RALO very much heard within our deliberations. I note that [Dharma 1:17:04] had actually put something on the group Skype in relation to user research. That is something that I am going to mention very quickly. In essence, initially when the capacity building working group was first established, it was established in parallel to the ICANN Academy.

And as Tijani had very ably explained, the ICANN Academy is a global framework. The ICANN capacity building working group is specifically tasked with looking at capacity building initiatives, strictly for the At-Large community. So that’s a very important demarcation.

And when we say strictly for the At-Large community, of course that means everything that falls within that umbrella. That includes the RALOs, it includes the At-Large accredited structures, and that sort of thing. So therein lies the premise and the jurisdiction of our operations.

Since we've... Since inception, one of the first things that we attempted to do as a working group was to access and scope out the extent of ALS penetration per RALO. And in fact, if you have access to the At-Large stability Wiki space, you can have a field day at looking at the data.

And you will see the different ALSs. Some of the challenges that we had experienced in extracting some of those data, is that we have noted that there was some discrepancies with data that was already on the ICANN RALO websites. So there had to be some corrections, and we had to move some of that around.

But in essence, one of the reasons why we wanted to do the scoping was to access, not only know where ALSs were sitting, but also to try to understand some of the challenges that they may have in seamlessly participating in ICANN At-Large processes.

And as most of you know, that is sitting around the table, and those newcomers, for the sake of the newcomers, I will mention that generally, how it works is policy consultation and processes pertaining to global public interest is often siphoned through the body of the ALAC.

And members of the ALAC have a duty to community with the RALOs, communicate with the ALSs, to get the feedback on most of those policies. And there was a general consensus that there wasn't enough

participation, and hence the need for the capacity building working group.

And so one of the challenges that we had as a steering committee, was to very quickly think about how we were going to facilitate this process. And one of the things that we attempted to do in Prague, was we created a demarcation between specific tasks. One was the face to face with the face – we created a sub working groups, or subcommittees. One is face to face the other one is content, the other one is on social media.

And the other two, for the life of me, I can't remember off the top of my head. Then again, it's four AM in the morning for me. Dev would you care to help me? What were the other two? Dev is trying to remember too, Trinidad time. But in essence, one of the things that we tried to do was, we opened the list, we opened the call for volunteers.

When we asked people within our At-Large community, those who were interested in participating specifically in this particular group, to develop and identify what we feel and perceive to be considerations for the general working group to factor in when it comes to making the final recommendations to the ALAC.

And so, as you – as we speak, we haven't had many meetings in terms of telephone conference calls. Whilst the working group committees have been setup, the sub working group committees have been setup and Wikis have been established, there has been very minimal activity happening on the Wiki space.

Reasons for that are unknown, but I would perhaps – I would assume that there are challenges with time management and those sorts of issues. But one of the things that we certainly intend to do, is to have the consolidated – have a consolidated in terms of extracting what this sub working groups come up with and feeding that to the ALAC.

Interestingly, because nothing happens in isolation as far as the world of At-Large, as far as the world of ICANN is concerned, there are things happening parallel to operations that also affects the nature and the functionality of the working group.

One for instance, is the online platform, which we're really, really excited about. We're really excited that ICANN is moving to increasing online training and participation because we believe that online training and online platforms are an excellent tool in terms of reaching the masses, particularly those in underserved areas.

Whilst we also... Right. I've just remembered the other group, the other sub working group is the technology team. And it's very well represented by the technology taskforce, and that sort of thing. We've been told that a community will be beta testing one of the platforms, the Moodle platform that is currently being developed. And so we're looking forward to ensuring that things get rolled out.

In terms of content, one of the difficulties that the content team are having in terms of identifying what particular could fit into, feed into a list of recommendations and also just in terms of generally what types of things we'd like hosted. We note that there are mixed reactions, mixed responses from different groups and different individuals.

But in essence, during our recent ALAC meeting, there was some discussion on potential thing like capacity building for new ALAC members to be included as part of the content. And noting that all of this is of course not in isolation, but the ongoing work being done and being prepared like things like the ICANN academy, things like ICANN fellowship, things like the RALO capacity building such as AFRALO, and that sort of thing.

So in a nutshell, that's what it is. And I just remembered the other sub working group, which is the one in charge of surveying which Oksana and Satish Babu had. They are in the process of a third draft of this survey, we'll just be tweaking it in this particular meeting here in Durban.

And we hope to use that survey, and I hope to talk to [Dharma 1:24:59], or whoever is interested in research and that sort of thing, to nail it down and to finally identify what are some of the things that we'd like to extract, noting that we don't want to duplicate too much of what's already been done before.

I'd also like to invite Tijani Ben Jemaa and also Dev, if they care to make a few comments before we open the floor for any questions.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Thank you Sala. Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you Carlton. I think that Sala said everything, but yes there is remote questions. I think she said everything, but what I can say is that

I want it to be very clear to everyone that the capacity building working group in our community, in At-Large, must be the tool of defining the needs in this community for capacity building.

Defining the time of this capacity building, and perhaps the tool to be used, and then everything will go to the ICANN Academy, that will implement the work. That's all.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Thank you Tijani. We have a remote question. Can I ask question read?

CARLOS REYES: This is Carlos with a question from Murray [?: 1:26:43] from NARALO. And this is for Sala. "Is there a report or deliverables available for the following: scoping information gathering, which was due February 1st, 2013, trend analysis which was due March 15th, development of strategy for March 30th, information management identification of resources, and ongoing identifying areas of developing a format of how information is to be presented from April 4th?"

SALA TAMANIKAIWAIMARO: Thank you very much Murray, was it? Yes this is Sala Tamanikaiwaimaro for the transcripts. For those of you who may not be aware, Murray was actually referring to a list of timelines. Initially when we set up the working group, we listed timelines for different deliverables on projects. And just for your information Murray, the trend analysis is on the trend, it's on a subpage of the Wiki.

And you'll see a spreadsheet. In the spreadsheet, don't just look at the first sheet one, go to sheet one, sheet two, sheet three, sheet four. I don't think we have a sheet four. Sheet three. Sheet one, sheet two, sheet three. Actually we have a sheet four. And you will see the trend analysis is automated.

What we just did was we plugged in the data, and of course, some of it is subject to revision because we've had some new additions in relation to ALSs. But that will soon be fixed. But essentially, the deliverables on those timelines have been activated.

What we are lagging on however, is what we had to hope to achieve was a consolidated paper, highlighting not only the analysis that we've assessed, extracted from the data, along with the recommendations from the working group. We had wanted to present it here in Durban. Unfortunately, that's a bit delayed. But hopefully before Buenos Aires it should be handled.

And yes. On another note, was there any other question or whilst people are making up their minds whether they want to ask questions, another comment that I would like to make was, as very, very attended the two days of the African DNS forum. And very, very impressed with the caliber of training and the delivery, the simplicity.

And even if someone had no understanding of the DNS, or had no understanding whatsoever of some of the issues, if they step in by the second day it would be enough to have at least a basic grasp. And so that in itself gives us a great understanding of the possibilities of certain forums that we can activate.

And I know in some regions we don't have things like... I don't know if it's an Asia Pacific DNS forum, or a Pacific DNS forum, or country DNS forums, but that is certainly something that can be looked into. Thank you Mister Chair.

CARLTON SAMUELS:

Thank you Sala. I did not go to the DNS forum, the training myself, but I've heard so many complimentary comments out of it, that I would – it seems to me and from people I trust, it seems to me to be useful if we ask the organizer of the training to make at least the deck available for others to use.

Sala you have something else to say about it?

SALA TAMANIKAIWAIMARO:

In a sense, it wasn't a training. It was a full blown, full scale forum, as we had ccTLDs presenting, registry, registrars presenting; not only from Africa but from Europe as well. And so, even in things like – yes, we take your point. We'll definitely note it for the face to face working group. Thank you.

CARLTON SAMUELS:

Thank you Sala. There is a remote question. Can I have the remote question please?

CARLOS REYES: This is Carlos Reyes with a comment from Joli McPhee. “I can say that on behalf of the social media working group, we’d be happy to have a few more people in our group.”

CARLTON SAMUELS: [Laughs] thank you Joli, we understand. We read you loud and clear. Sala, you had something.

SALA TAMANIKAIWAIMARO: Thank you. Sala Tamanikaiwaimaro for the transcripts. And riding on Joli’s excellent call for volunteers, and I open this to everyone in the room, those that can hear me, whether you’re in the room, right to the back or on the table, or remotely streaming in, if you’re interested in volunteering, and you – even if you don’t know anything about ICANN, if you feel that you’re a newcomer, you’re a bit nervous, please don’t feel nervous.

You can approach any one of us. Dev could you please wave your hands? Dev, we’re very friendly people, we don’t bite. And there is Tijani, or myself, and just approach any one of us and we’ll take your names down and we’re always looking for volunteers.

And the social media group is an exciting group as Joli had mentioned. The other sub working groups as well, and so yes, feel free to join. Thank you Carlton.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Thank you Sala. Are there any other questions for the capacity building working group? Any other comments? Yes Garth, you’re up.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you. Garth Bruen, ALAC chair. Just very quickly, the video, the remote video provided by TK from the other day, I found fascinating in terms of issues being faced within his region, and I think that anybody who hasn't seen that video should watch it.

And I'm just wondering if it should be, if it could be placed within the meeting reports so everybody could review it. Thank you.

CARLTON SAMUELS:

Thank you Garth. So noted, do we have AI for that video to be placed where we can – most of us can get to it? Thank you so much. No other questions. If there are no other questions, we're going to close this portion of the meeting. We're going next to the second, you see up on the screen there, ALAC discussion with NomCom Chair.

And we have the Chair of the NomCom with us, our friend Yrjö Länsipuro. And I would like to turn it over to you right now.

YRJÖ LÄNSIPURO:

Yes. Okay. Thank you very much for inviting me here again. It's always a pleasure. I must say at this time of the NomCom cycle, I perhaps have to be more silent [laughs] than otherwise, because right now the NomCom is in to its final and critical moments.

That is to say, making final selections. Anyway, I'm happy to report that the NomCom, the 2013 NomCom made some changes in its procedures that have been sort of noted in a positive way. That is to say, at our meeting in Toronto, we decided that we try to make our process as transparent as possible.

You will know that the NomCom has been seen as a black box, something happens inside and then finally white smoke comes out and we have the pope. But, so this time we decided the process, let's make it as open as possible.

And the data, that is to say names, are as secret and confidentially held as able. To implement this, we did a couple of things. We have had held open meetings of the NomCom which is a historical first. I must say that after NomCom has so much been criticized for being a secretive club, then they were – the attendance by others at our open meetings was rather low.

But anyway, they had been open and the record is there. The other thing that we did was that we started issuing report cards, monthly report cards that are collectively drafted. And then it's the responsibility of each representative of each constituency, and in ALAC's case it's RALO representative, to send them to their constituencies to the RALOs, and also of course to ALAC, in ALAC's case.

So that's what we tried to do to increase the transparency. We had a record number of candidates. And perhaps this has something to do with we're trying to be open. We had 111 candidates, and one was withdrawn, but still 110 is the same number as it was in year 2003.

So 110. And of those, 78 were interested primarily in the Board, 24 GNSO, 14 ccNSO, and 30 in ALAC, for the seats of a specific Africa and Latin American and Caribbean. So here in Durban, we're going to do the final work of which I'm not going to talk so much.

And we remain here after the meeting, ICANN meeting is closed, and Saturday we should have our work done in this respect. Of course, after that, start the final phase of our work which is trying to learn from the lessons that we have learned, and prepare the round for the 2014 nominating committee which is chaired – which will be chaired by Cheryl who is the – who I hope will be on her way here from the cc meeting.

But meanwhile, if you have questions, I'm very happy to answer or if you want to give us sort of last minute advice [laughs]. Thank you.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Thank you Yrjö. Tijani you have...

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Very simple question. Tijani speaking. Who will be the ALAC Chair elect?

YRJÖ LÄNSIPURO: Sorry. Do you mean the chair-elect of the 2014 committee? That we don't know yet.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Thank you Yrjö. Any other questions. Yaovi.

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Yaovi speaking. Just to know if you have an idea, I know you are still working on the final result will be released?

YRJÖ LÄNSIPURO: It's going to be in September, I guess. But there is of course the... It has to be a certain time before the Buenos Aires meeting, but I think it's going to be in September. We also have now the associate chair of the NomCom, Adam here [laughs].

ADAM PEAKE: I'm early late, or something like that. Hello. Adam Peake. Good afternoon.

CARLTON SAMUELS: We have a remote question. Can we hear it please?

CARLOS REYES: This is Carlos with a comment from Wolf Ludwig. "The NomCom monthly report cards were a good step in improvement for ALAC and RALO's to learn more about NomCom procedures and related outcomes."

CARLTON SAMUELS: Thank you Wolf, that's an endorsement of the report from Wolf. We're back to Yaovi.

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Yaovi speaking. I would like the chair just to briefly, role of the trade people leading the NomCom for the new participant. We have the chair, and we have the chair elect, and we have the associate chair. Thank you.

ADAM PEAKE: Yeah. It's very simple. The chair is the chair. The associate chair helps the chair and the chair picks the associate chair, and serves at the chair's discretion. The chair elect, who is now arriving to this room, she is... [Laughs] She perhaps we can ask her to explain her role.

But basically she is there to prepare for the 2014 committee and chair ship. And meanwhile, I have been extremely happy to have her at my side helping the chair, the present chair, me in doing this job. So these are the different functions of this leadership.

CARLTON SAMUELS: So thank you Yaovi. We're are just joined by chair elect Langdon-Orr, who is as you noticed is the chair elect. Cheryl, welcome. If you might... Well Yaovi asked a question about the roles, and maybe you can expand a little bit on it. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Could I have the reread of the question please?

CARLTON SAMUELS: The question from Yaovi was, what is the role of the chair, the chair elect, and the associate chair in the NomCom.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Certainly. Certainly. Cheryl Langdon-Orr for the transcript record. And I apologize for being late, but I... For everyone who wants to try and get me by SMS or whatever, I've now turned off my mobile data, seems

how my mobile service provider has told me I have hit around 600 dollar mark.

And [Joe-et 1:42:33] has tells me that that is not probably going to be claimable for an expense for NomCom. Considering I haven't done anything other than work for ICANN off my phone, I find that both un-comprehensible and annoying.

That said, and me feeling slightly less bitchy, the role of the chair of the nominating committee, and indeed the chair elect, is very much a hands off the voting and deliberations, and hands on the process and ensuring that things are absolutely accountable, transparent.

That the things are the highest level of integrity and conduct of the committee as a whole in its outward facing way, but also in its internal deliberations is managed. There are nonvoting members of the nominating committee, and they should not in any way shape or form give influence over the deliberations over the community members that you send to the group.

I'm hoping that's the kind of answer that he was looking for, but get back to me.

CARLTON SAMUELS:

Thank you Cheryl. Yaovi...

YAOVI ATOHOUN:

That's fine. Just for information because I was expecting you to say that probably ICANN will send up a call for the chair elect for the next year.

Is this a process I was expecting this information for general information.

ADAM PEAKE:

Yes. Actually a call was sent out for chair and chair elect, and the call closed on the 6th of July.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Cheryl here again for the record. Yaovi, let me be really clear on the process, and it has been a slight change over history. Prior in days not too far gone by, in the days of Adam for example, one was appointed chair by the Board, and that is the role of the Board governance committee to appoint the chair of the NomCom.

And the chair of the NomCom appoints the assistant. So for example, I'm sure Adam was introduced as an assistant Chair to Yrjö. It was seen in review process, as it would be valuable to have a learning and developing of one's own skills opportunity. And so, in the last iteration of changes that were put down for nominating committee leadership, without affecting the assisting role to the chair, the role of chair elect was created.

A call for chair and chair elect went out certainly, yes, you're right. It was earlier this month, we finished about the 12th of June, so yes, about six or eight weeks ago. It was a publically advertised ICANN, I think in its normal way.

But it was also call for chair and chair elect for next year, which was a little bit confusing to some. But you... Because the assumption is that if

you were chair elect for the 2013 period, as I currently am, you would be the chair in 2014. But the Board Governance Committee quite reasonably, and with the support of EURO and Adam and I, want to make sure that the very best people are always put into the right positions.

And seemingly as we had just got a new review, a peer review process on our own performances, where NomCom has the opportunity of getting back – and say a third-party, this is a consultant doing the peer review on this, but it would be rather silly to not put out the opportunity for people to put themselves in as chair, or chair elect.

So I could very well be not the chair of the 2014 NomCom, because someone is far more talented and intelligent and beautiful could be selected by the Board Governance Committee. But that's only going to happen this year.

In normal circumstances, one would expect the rotation to be as it is. But each year, there will be a callout for people to put themselves forward, at the very least for chair elect, but the Board Governance committee may choose what they've done this year, and say for chair and chair elect.

So even though you're the incumbent, you still go through a real assessment, and an affirmation process, and I think that's healthy. Okay?

CARLTON SAMUELS:

Thank you Cheryl. Are there any more questions? The associate chair tells me you might have a question for us, so you have the floor.

UNIDENTIFIED:

Thanks. Yaovi, hi. I was chair of the NomCom a couple of years ago and had some very good members from the ALAC, so nice to see you. Anyway. I think the question is really, so of course the At-Large provides five members of the nominating committee, and they're particularly important because they ensure at least some degree of regional diversity which otherwise is not a requirement of the other organizations that send delegates to the NomCom.

So the At-Large is extremely important in this process. But I wonder if as a group, do you collectively provide any guidance to your delegates on the type of candidate that they might be looking for? Or the general set of skillsets? Particularly for the Board, but generally across the...

Do you say, "Well, we're the user organization, have a few user thoughts?" I'm not thinking of this year, I'm thinking about – because we're in the middle of our process, but you have five new delegates. Are you considering to provide them with advice on general direction?

You can't be very specific because they don't represent you in the NomCom, but are you thinking of some general direction and general encouragement of what to look for and so on and so forth? Thanks.

CARLTON SAMUELS:

Great question. Tijani, you wanted to say something.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you. Tijani speaking. We used to ask... I'm sorry. We used to ask to our delegates and also to the NomCom chair, and the NomCom as a

whole, to select for us the best candidates, especially those who speak and who can work in English.

And especially those who are knowledgeable and who has the, if you want, experience and – or how knows, more or less, ICANN and the process. And who has worked at the [? 1:49:58]. But the trend now is to ask those people, and the NomCom chair, to find especially people has time, who are available because we have very bad experiences.

We have... We got very, very good people. But unfortunately, they couldn't work with us because they didn't have time. So I think that in the future, this is one of the most important elements, anyone who is appointed as member as ALAC should have a minimum of time to give to ALAC.

And I think we should define certain criteria for that. Thank you.

CARLTON SAMUELS:

Cheryl Langdon-Orr.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thank you Mister Chairman. I'm not sure which hat I'm wearing right now. Of course, the NomCom is given a very clear briefing, the whole of the NomCom, is given a clear briefing and outline of what the desired characteristics are, including the time allocations and everything else.

So I think you should rest assured that your nominating committee representatives, but also the nominating committee as a whole, do look at the material that you've passed on, your desired characteristics and they take those things very, very seriously.

They are aware, very aware, where issues have occurred in the past, and they will do anything humanely possible to avoid that in the future. But we always have to say, however, we can only select from the pool we have. Therefore, with that rider, I just want to assure you that it is something that the whole of the NomCom and the voting delegates, the ones that I'm referring to in particular here, including your five, are very well aware of. Thank you.

CARLTON SAMUELS:

Thank you Cheryl. We have a question from the remote audience. Carlos?

CARLOS REYES:

This is Carlos Reyes with three comments from Wolf Ludwig. The first comment is to an earlier conversation. "Cheryl, that's what I understood so far that the chair elect is automatically set for the next NomCom chair." Wolf's second comment, "EURALO always try to nominate and send its best people, but we do not provide any direction and rely on their expertise."

And his third comment was in response to Tijani, "The time fact for NomCom delegates is very important to know."

CARLTON SAMUELS:

Thank you Carlos. Thank you Wolf for those comments. Do we have any other comments for NomCom? I see no one with comments. Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, thank you. Tijani speaking. May I ask the NomCom chair to contact the ALAC chair when they feel that we don't have enough candidates for the ALAC members that would be appointed by the NomCom, so that the ALAC chair will encourage its [? 1:53:37] where there is a lack of candidates to try to find others.

Because it is a pity, it is a pity that members are appointed to the ALAC and they don't work.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Thank you Tijani. There is a structural situation there, but I'll ask Yrjö to expand on it. Yrjö, you have the floor.

YRJÖ LÄNSIPURO: Yeah. The NomCom is doing whatever it can in its outreach activities before the deadline to encourage all constituencies and communities in ICANN to send us candidates, and to encourage members to apply. So that's done, and that's ...

This efforts are of course a very, very big part of the NomCom's work. But in the end, the candidate pool is what we have and we have to operate within those constraints.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Thank you Yrjö. Cheryl Langdon-Orr.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you Mister Chairman. Cheryl Langdon-Orr again. And as I chaired the outreach committee for the nominating committee, I

wanted to put in a little plug that whilst we were delighted with the high, indeed record number of people who felt that they were appropriate to put in their statements of interest to us, we certainly need to, and recognize, that we need to do more.

Particularly in the non-Board allocations. But this is a partnership, it really is up to you. Right now, each one of you are regional leaders sitting around the table whether you're already ALAC or confirmed in a RALO, or just an At-Large structure.

And I'm not saying just to mean there is some form of minimalism of the importance, in fact the At-Large structures are likely to be the ones who know exactly in their local areas, who would be ideal for this job, and for these tasks. So if you have a pro-active approach as the At-Large community, I think this will solve your problem and take – take some encouragement in that providing...

I am confirmed as the nominating – as the nominating committee chair for the next year, the outreach subcommittee would be wanting to work very much pro-actively with you all. And that includes the ability which is – certainly since I've been involved, and I mean in all sorts of levels being involved, and that is for someone to simply put a name to us.

And [? 1:56:39] and staff reach out to them. So it's possible just to make suggestions. So it's not as... There are tools already there that we're not using effectively, and so if we work together in a very pro-active partnership, I think this is a great way forward.

But remember, what we're looking for is not from self. We're not trying to be self-propagating self here. We don't want you to cut your bloom from your own ALS, we want you to find a magnificent bush, tree, or other – I've lost my word for what – shrub, there we are, it came back to me.

From beyond what we feel is the ICANN community where possible, because it's to bring in the non-aligned and broader thinking that we're hoping that the nominating committee appointments to the At-Large advisory committee will do. Thank you.

CARLTON SAMUELS:

Thank you Cheryl. There is a remote question. I'll go to Carlos to read the question.

CARLOS REYES:

This is Carlos Reyes with a question from Wolf Ludwig for EURALO, "Do you think that there should be some sort of rotation by new NomCom delegates, to avoid always having the same people from a region?"

YRJÖ LÄNSIPURO:

It's a good question, but first of all, I think that there are term limits such that the – that a person can be a NomCom, delegate to the NomCom only two years in a row, and then there has to be a break. I think that's the ALAC rule.

But that being said, I think that continuity is very important, and that continuity is of course provided by having the same person delegated to the NomCom for two years, at least, because other the nominating

committee suffers from this – the fact that we have to keep each NomCom separate.

And at the end of our work, we really are required to delete the files and empty our brains of whatever information we have acquired about the candidates. And this is of course, in order to protect their privacy and protect the confidentiality of the process.

But at the same time, we're losing something, we're losing the continuity and this is at least, it's provided by having the same member twice. Thank you.

CARLTON SAMUELS:

Thank you Yrjö. I have [1:59:37], then Cheryl, then Sala. Cheryl will you go ahead please?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

It's a follow up. Cheryl Langdon-Orr for the record. Remember that at the moment what you're doing is appointing annual appointments, which as Yrjö said, have a two year term limit. So I'm a little unsure where that question comes from, and that's why I wanted to ask a clarifying point.

I just want to be sure that what Wolf is referring to is your delegates into the NomCom, because that is why that two year rule on rotation happens. What you may want to consider is lobbying for a change to appoint for two years, and have a single non-renewable term until you have...

Because otherwise, you're doing it, but yes the rotation should be built in already. If that is not the meaning of Wolf's question than I very much like to see another one from him so we can answer him properly. Thank you.

CARLTON SAMUELS:

Can I ask Adam just to speak? He might be able to clarify.

ADAM PEAKE:

What we're talking about is the voting members have a term limit. So you can be appointed for two consecutive years, and then there must be a two year gap between that. However, you could be a voting member for two years and then become a non-voting member for a period of time.

There is no limitation on the amount of time, number of terms that a non-voting member could serve. So, for example, I could be appointed by a GNSO constituency for two years, and then I could be appointed as Chair for a year, which is a non-voting position, and then I could be appointed as the associate chair for a year, and then I could be – and so on and so forth.

So you could have that ongoing presence on the Board, so perhaps that's what Wolf might be referring to. And it's this mixture of voting where there is a limitation, and non-voting where there is not. Perhaps. Thanks.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Thank you Adam, I think that helps. Can I go to [? 2:01:42]. And we're running down now so we have another five minutes. Thanks.

UNIDENTIFIED: Yeah [? 2:01:47] from ISOC [? 2:01:49] ALS for the record. I heard NomCom is an independent process, it has been a very independent process, and I heard Sala mention something about peer review.

And I also heard an independent external appraisal that would determine whether the performance of members is good or not. Is there some kind of independent appraisal?

In that case, I would be very concerned because the independence of NomCom would be effected by the appraisal of any external or independent appraisal process, because those independent or external consultants are appointed by staff.

So far it has been a community driven process, a community controlled process, completely independent of ICANN management...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Can I just stop you there [Shiva 2:02:49]? This is a review of the non-voting chair and chair elect, which is the Board Governance Committee, the Board's appointees, and the Board needs to know how good or bad a job we are doing.

That's being conducted by an external expert...

UNIDENTIFIED: Yes...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Not your voting members, because that's important to recognize independence there.

UNIDENTIFIED: No whether they are voting or non-voting members, if it does an external appraisal, a lot of independent appraisal, who appoints the external consultants? Is it the Board who directly appoints? Or is it the community or cross-community that sits together and decides...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: It's the Board Governance Committee and it's exactly the same choice of provider that does the Board Peer Review. If there are core competencies and professionalism is lacking, then yes, the community needs to deal with that. But I don't fear for the same risks as you're outlining because of they are paid to be independent reviewers.

They trade on their ability to not be compromised.

UNIDENTIFIED: They are paid by who?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: By ICANN. And that's....

UNIDENTIFIED: Okay. I will leave it there, I will leave it there.

CARLTON SAMUELS: We unfortunately have to leave it there. I have to go to Glenn and then Fatimata because we're almost at the end here.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Glenn McKnight for the record. I'm the NARALO representative on NomCom. I'm following Wolf's comments there and I think he's making a point there, but I don't think it's applicable to us. I think there is some people in other constituencies that are, I guess, repeat offenders.

That's not what I meant. But I think one of the suggestions that I can make is that when new people come on, I think we need to provide some kind of semi-mentoring or a little webinar, so sort of give the new NomCom representative a sort of coaching, sort of some help.

Because the ALAC is... Even though we work very hard, and I think we've got great reps, I think we're working at a bit of a disadvantage. So I think we... I'm not saying we should be voting as a block, but I think we should have some orientation.

And the previous NomCom people would probably be able to coach them a bit.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Thank you Glenn, and then Fatimata.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Thank you. This is Fatimata. Well my question will be very quick. It's about the non-voting members. Is the mandate limited to... No? So you can be there for like...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: 12 years I think we've got one.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: And how many? Five? One per region?

ADAM PEAKE: No, excuse me. The non-voting members are the chair, the chair elect, and the associate chair, and then representatives from I believe it's the RSAC and the ASAC? Yeah, so the Root Server Advisory and the Security Advisory Committee.

Not entirely sure why, but that's an ICANN question, but those are the two that are liaisons to non-voting members. So those are...

CARLTON SAMUELS: Thank you Adam, and you three. So it's a new piece of information for me.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Just let's be clear, it's those liaison... Cheryl for the record. It's those liaison roles that may seem to sit in perpetuity. The only other way to stay longer than your term limit, is to switch between these voting and non-voting as Adam outlined.

It's theoretically possible, but a chair is appointed for a year, there is no second year as a chair. So this should be enough turn. It should be designed for an upturn, if not we need to hear about that.

CARLTON SAMUELS:

Thank you Cheryl. Unfortunately, we are at time for this session. I just wanted to thank all of you for showing up and having a spirited conversation, especially NomCom. Thank you Yrjö.

Thank you Cheryl. Thank you Adam for taking the questions. Thank you to the remote audience. Thank you to the interpreters. Thank you very much [applause], very kind of you.

And thank you all. We will close this session and we will resume at 2:00 for part two. This session is closed.

[END OF AUDIO]