
GISELLA GRUBER: On today's EURALO Board meeting on Thursday the 27th of June at 19:00 UTC, we have Wolf Ludwig, Jordi Iparraguirre, Manuel Schneider, Yrjö Lansipuro, Sébastien Bachollet, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, and Sandra Hoferichter. Not present on this call are Bill Drake, Desiree Miloshevic, and Lutz Donnerhacke.

Apologies from Frans Gerbosch and Annette Muehlberg. And from staff, we have Silvia Vivanco and Matt Ahstiani, and myself Gisella Gruber. Heidi Ullrich did send through her apology as well. And if I could also please remind you all to state your names when speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you. Over to you Wolf.

WOLF LUDWIG: Okay. Thanks again Gisella. Perfect as usual. And I received a request yesterday to draft an agenda for tonight's call, and I noted this five points, of on the half point, what came immediately up in my mind. But I do not take this for granted, so if anybody wants or will suggest a modification of this agenda item, or all the other agenda items, please do so now.

Otherwise I will continue with this order of this draft agenda. I hear no questions or no objections raised. So let's start with agenda item one, what is the follow up from the extraordinary ombud [sic] Board meeting in Lisbon. What was a very good meeting in my opinion, that so many Board members there on short notice, available after the Lisbon gala dinner to sort out emergency questions we had from the General Assembly.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

Which was the point B and the voting issue for the Secretariat. Where we knew from the beginning that we will have two candidates. And we knew from the beginning that we need to have a secret ballot with all options possible for one of the candidates or none of the above, and the ordinary members, the final outcome of this first voting round.

And I think we explained, or discussed in detail after the General Assembly, and we realized that this voting result will not match the bylaw requirements under the famous point 11.20. Then a sort of absolute majority is required for a first voting round. And we evidently didn't get any clear picture, or any clear majority on the contrary...

Majority during the General Assembly was so tied it we count now the next vote and the abstentions, or none of the votes which is overly awaiting clearly 11 votes, which were casted for [Roxanna 0:04:23]. And I think due to the circumstances, we did the best things during our Board meeting to come to nominate and to find a group of Board members to check the bylaws with the result.

And to come up with a conclusion and with a recommendation. And what I have followed on Friday, which was the deadline for this notification. There was a clear picture and a clear majority that is voting result at the General Assembly. It didn't match the bylaw requirements and therefore we had to do the following run off vote, which was prepared by the staff over the week and beginning of the week, which was launch now in time, and goes now until Friday evening.

I think so far we are on the [? 0:05:39] side. Are there any further questions or comments from your side? I see no hand raised. I take this

as an approval to the summary on point of one of tonight's agenda, that this was a necessary procedure even if it created some more work afterwards. But there was no other way out to do it. There was a sort of big understanding afterwards on the list by people not understanding, like not attending.

Bill Drake, who after I sent a short support, can do this choice and there was explanations that in future I think we should be closer following the bylaws suggestion or prescription. But due to the fact that we didn't have any function in the Board in the past, we could not delegate anything to a nonconforming or nonfunctioning Board. And under the previous circumstances, it was clear that its support could not do this other work, then it's up on the General Assembly.

And once we started a procedure, which was clearly designed to a General Assembly for a second round. We cannot suddenly change the rules, or cannot suddenly change the procedure, then in my opinion we needed to use the second voting round again, trying to involve and conclude all of the members who have been present in Lisbon. And this, in my opinion, was a necessity as well.

Even if it would have been easily to come up with a decision just among Board members, which would have been much easier to communicate and to count, etcetera. And to come up with a good binding result, but as I said before, in an ongoing voting procedure, you cannot just change the rules. Say, okay, the first round all members involved and included. The second round only will be privilege of a group of Board members.

Yes, Olivier, you have raised your hand. You have the floor.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much Wolf. It's Olivier for the transcript record. And I have a question for you with regards to the elections and the... So the voting for the Secretariat, there was some question as to whether those minutes should... We are all on this, aren't we? We're on the approval of the minutes, yeah?

WOLF LUDWIG: No, not yet.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Oh okay. Sorry.

WOLF LUDWIG: That would be our next point, but if there is no questions or comments on our first point, if the summary I provided is carried or more or less accepted by all of you, then we can accomplish point one and we can go over to point two. What is exactly the question you raised, approval of the Lisbon meeting minutes on the basis of the important notes taken by Geordie with some final edits and details, etcetera, which was the day after somehow contested on the list by [Roxanna 0:10:08].

But not the minutes in total or as such, but only one formulation regarding the explanatory notation which simply stated that this ombud voting during the General Assembly was not final, or finally valid. And with checking our bylaws, we realized that we need to have a second round. You have the floor Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Wolf. And I do apologize for pushing into the meeting...

WOLF LUDWIG: No, no, no. Not at all.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I hate it when someone does that to my meeting, so you're very welcome to shoot me when you see me in Durban. Or hopefully not.

WOLF LUDWIG: No, I won't, I won't.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: [Laughter] And we probably will have to scratch from the record the fact that you're welcome to shoot me because I wouldn't want anyone to take this literally. The... This question here is a bit tricky, because on the minutes it says, "There is no majority required as stated by EURALO's bylaws, 11.18, 11.20. And a second round will be held a few days after the meeting."

Now, if these are minutes of what was said at the meeting, this was actually strictly not what was said at the meeting. And so that one could throw a spanner in the works and say, "Well, no. You need to record exactly what was said at the meeting."

So I gather what was said in the meeting itself was me announcing that [Roxanna 0:11:55] was the winner with 11 votes, and [U-lee-a 0:11:59], and none of the above had eight. And that's a fact. I can't scratch this from the record. However, I think one could put a note underneath that, and I don't know whether it would work in square brackets, but an inquiry into this showed that in fact, there is no majority.

And the majority is required in EURALO's bylaws, 11.18 and 11.20. And therefore, a second round runoff vote needs to be held online a few days after the meeting. And this would probably be an addendum to the minutes. That's my proposal, in order to fall in line.

Since these are minutes and you can't say that at the time... I mean, had it been put to the record, so had Rudy, who I believe was the person who looked at that and was surprised, had he raised his hand and said it then, then we could put it in the record as such. But since he has not, and this was raised afterwards, I think we need to add this as an addendum.

It's a proposal by the way, so I don't know what you think of it.

WOLF LUDWIG:

No, no. Olivier, I was thinking again and again about a best solution for this. And I made a suggestion already. I just tried to retrieve my suggestion. I have difficulties to... Can I send it to Matt? Because I cannot copy/paste it into the workspace. As an alternative, we could at least compromise and add that this first voting result was contested by an assigned Board committee afterwards, referring to the given bylaws prescription.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Exactly. That's perfect.

WOLF LUDWIG: Just an addendum in the minutes, saying there was a sentiment that this doesn't really match the bylaw requirement, and therefore we as formulated here, first vote was contested by an assigned voting committee afterwards, referring to the given bylaws of prescription.

This in my eyes is a must because otherwise, if you do not mention anything, the minutes for any observer who hasn't been in the meeting, would seem that the voting result would be valid, and nobody would understand why we did online voting afterwards. And we simply must avoid any format or anything in the minutes which is provoking such misunderstanding.

And I simply feel if we expect everything, any hint on the notations of the invalidity, somebody could stand up afterwards and say, "Well, for me, the minutes are the binding document. And what is stated in the minutes as a voting result is binding." And that cannot be the case. So we have to introduce at least any kind of a notation pointing out that we found out afterwards that this was not the final result.

Any suggestions? Any comments from your side? I see Silvia's hand raised.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes. Yes, Wolf. If you could repeat that action item for Matt, to ask what you just mentioned, I will make that action item now.

WOLF LUDWIG: Sorry, I didn't clearly understand or get your question.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yeah. Is this an action item for staff?

WOLF LUDWIG: Okay. Well, yes I...

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes.

WOLF LUDWIG: I think it's...

SILVIA VIVANCO: Sorry, I can't... No, go ahead Wolf.

WOLF LUDWIG: Yeah. If we agree now on this ultimate model to write, introduce more explanatory annotation or note to the bylaws. And Olivier said okay, he thinks this would be a better solution or a better way out. We should do it that way.

SILVIA VIVANCO: An addendum to the minutes you mean. [CROSSTALK 0:17:33]

WOLF LUDWIG: ...to the minutes, whether we put across in between and make an amendment of the end of the minutes, this needs to be discussed. The only thing what I believe cannot happen is simply [Roxanna's 0:17:52] suggestion that there is no mentioning at all about the invalidity of the first voting round. This cannot stand alone.

And in my understanding, and I was really involved politically in such meeting minutes business for the last 20, 25 years, and this wouldn't be any reasonable way to handle it. A formal mistake of procedure during a meeting, even if it is recognized later, has to be noted somewhere in the minutes.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay. I trust noting on the chart, if you see the wording.

WOLF LUDWIG: I forwarded the wording of the sentence to Matt via Skype already.
And...

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay.

WOLF LUDWIG: And it would be good if somebody could now add it. I have to go back to Matt is concerned, yes he received. And I suggest, can you put it on screen in the Adobe Connect somewhere in the chat comment...

SILVIA VIVANCO: Chat comment [CROSSTALK 0:19:20] ...

WOLF LUDWIG: That anybody sees, the alternate formulation. And if we can all approve this alternate formulation, we can exchange the minutes, modify the minutes accordingly. Formulation would be, as we find out, this first vote result was contested by assigned Board committee afterwards, referring to the given bylaw prescriptions. Returned to the given bylaw prescriptions.

This was would be more or less the sentence, it's enough, and it would immediately make clear that the vote during the meeting didn't stand, or was not valid, and somehow explaining why we afterwards had to organize a second voting round. Or we add this consequence as a second sentence to this formulation.

Can we agree on this modification? Yes, just after the General Assembly, you are right, Jordi. There was a sentiment, but it's difficult to put down the sentiment when the sentiment like Jordi's was not expressed. But this people came immediately after the closing of the General Assembly and before the opening of the outreach reception came already and said, "Listen there is somebody – there is something

which doesn't work to my memory of the bylaws. That prescription, this majority was not sufficient, etcetera, and we have to object."

And it was immediately after the General Assembly when we, there sort of certain. We have to look into this and this was more or less a key element or the key why we convened the extraordinary Board meeting the evening afterwards.

Can we agree? Can... I see approval from Jordi. I see approval from Manuel. Can I get... I see Lutz has joined Adobe Connect. Can I get some more approvals on this? We can say, "Okay. This modification was finally discussed and approved by the Board in today's Board meeting."

I just see there is one more voting member, that would be Jordi and Lutz. Olivier, Sandra, and Sébastien are now voting members, but are no voting member now, but we would list the approval by... It means [? 0:23:15].

UNIDENTIFIED MALE VOICE: Acknowledge.

WOLF LUDWIG: Ah, okay, thanks a lot. Okay acknowledge. I wonder why Jordi said okay, so we have from the voting members of the Board tonight a clear majority that we will modify the formulation in the minutes accordingly. And I think this will stand now, and if anything else... Okay, we will see. But okay.

Any further questions, remarks, comments from your side regarding agenda point two? I see no hand raised. I see no, both harmony vote approve this for the record, yes. Jordi, Lutz, Manuel, and Yrjö. Therefore to my counting, I think the rest informally approve as well, but we don't have voting rights, Olivier, Sébastien, Sandra, and me.

Okay. Thanks. Let's continue with the next point. As a consequence of this, as you all know, the online tool was sent on Monday, Monday night to the list with an invitation and with voting credentials. And afterwards, it was important to find out what I tried to check with Matt, who actually should participate in this second round, and we realized certain inconsistency in this respect because the initial voting invitation and initial credentials were sent to the formal first contact of the ALS whether they were present at the Lisbon meeting or not.

And then I stepped in and discussed with Matt that this makes no sense at all, because people who had not been at the Lisbon meeting, etcetera, would not at all understand the issue at stake, etcetera. And we cannot expect that somebody is responding and voting on something he doesn't understand or doesn't listen, the plausibility or the necessity. Therefore over the last two days, I checked the circulation list with Matt again and we added as the main point whether voting credentials should be sent to the Lisbon participants.

And this was adjusted by Matt yesterday. And on top of this, Matt is having a list of people who cast their vote already. In this list, we cannot see for what option as the vote was casted, so the ballot is secret or anonymous. And that will be released only tomorrow night when the voting is finished, accomplished, and the deadline is over.

But at least we can see those people who have cast their vote already, and who didn't cast a vote yet. And as in previous cases, it's always a challenge whenever you have a consultation round or voting, etcetera, people will not automatically respond on any first invitation according to all of our experience. You have to afterwards to at least remind half of the people, please we circulated this invitation, we circulated the credential, and you are given that line and you should only to vote until Friday evening.

We have this list available, and we have intermediate overview about people who voted. My counting was 16 this afternoon and this evening, and there are still a number of people who haven't cast their vote yet. If you agree, I can shortly go through at least those people who have not counted their vote yet, but is first [?,Valentine Pavel 0:29:24] from [? 0:29:31] what is [? 0:29:34]... Hello?

MATT ASHTIANI: Hi. I'm sorry to interrupt. This is Matt for the record.

WOLF LUDWIG: Yeah. Have you got an updated version?

MATT ASHTIANI: Yeah. Actually, quite a few more people have voted since you and I spoke. So I haven't updated the version, if you are okay with it I can just go over the list right now.

WOLF LUDWIG: Yeah please.

MATT ASHTIANI: We have Vladimir [? 0:29:58], Bill Drake, Frita [? 0:30:02]...

LUTZ DONNERHACKE: Sorry to interrupt you again. It's not common, current practice in a democratic democracy to name people who have not voted. Sorry.

WOLF LUDWIG: No, he is now, as I understood, he is now reading those who have voted.

MATT ASHTIANI: Actually, I was reading it the other way around [CROSSTALK 0:30:27]... voted as well.

WOLF LUDWIG: Okay. So let's take Lutz intervention serious, right, do not mention those who have not voted but we mention those who have voted.

MATT ASHTIANI: Okay. I have [Roxanna ? 0:30:43], Patrick [? 0:30:46]... Eric Thompson, [? 0:30:51], Matthew [? 0:30:54], Oliver [? 0:30:57]... Yrjö Lansipuro, Rudy [? 0:31:06]... Lutz Donnerhacke, Monique Epstein, [? 0:31:16], Manuel Schneider, Wolf Ludwig, and Jordi.

WOLF LUDWIG: Okay. Just a quick comment add to Lutz. I understand your objection and your reasoning, but please Lutz, believe me, it is a challenge until tomorrow evening or tomorrow night to make possible that we reach a respectable quorum. Except for we need to go behind and remind people who have not voted yet, and this is not an open public meeting, this is a Board meeting and therefore due to practicalities we do not need to care about social, voters that casted their vote already, like you, me, and others.

But we really have to do our best to go behind and to remind those people who have not voted yet, to do this in time in the interest of reaching a respectable quorum. Yes?

LUTZ DONNERHACKE: But most of those people are part of this Board meeting at the moment, should note that there is a voting on the go, and if they have not voted they can do it. If they are not on this call, you will not waste everything, a list of names, sorry. Just hurry up.

WOLF LUDWIG: Yeah. I understand your point Lutz, but my point stands as well. If anybody on the call notes somebody knows directly and he has a personal connection to, could help to push these people to cast their vote. This is not only a staff obligation. I could lean back and say, "I do not care whatever the participation quorum will be." If we just, what I say, in whatever case only have 15 participants out of formally 28, anybody can stand up again and say, "Well, the second voting round

doesn't have a reasonable or respectable quorum and is not valid again."

So we are in a dilemma as well. Therefore there is a need that we do try to, we need to try everything and tomorrow evening to have as many people as possible from the Lisbon attendees casting their votes. To have an utmost good quorum, I would say minimum would be around 20 or preferably at least 25. If you come up [CROSSTALK 0:34:34]...

LUTZ DONNERHACKE: ...we all do understand your point, but please close this item now. We already understand it, and we are really bored by just having it again, and again, and again, again.

WOLF LUDWIG: Yeah okay. Okay fine. Fine but please allow me, Lutz, I am also getting a little bit fed up because I spend half of my nights to do this kind of checklist and to try my best to reach a reasonable quorum, and you just say, "Okay, I'm fed up. I'm bored by this issue. Whatever will be the outcome, I don't care." I do care by the way.

And it's part of my responsibility to reach a reasonable quorum.

LUTZ DONNERHACKE: End of discussion by me.

WOLF LUDWIG:

Okay. Any further comments? By the way, Lutz, if you find this very boring you are free to take over and continue with the chairing of the meeting. I do not want to go into any more details. Next point is on three, next point is point four. Next steps on how to organize the Board work and functioning.

I do not consider this really as my key responsibility, as this is something the Board should discuss among themselves. As I'm not an official voting Board, I'm only on the Board [? 0:36:36] so it's not on me to tell the Board what they should do, how they should function, etcetera. This, in my opinion, should be an issue for the Board members themselves.

MANUEL SCHNEIDER:

Okay. Manuel here. Maybe... I don't have a plan right now. But if I have the feeling that a few people are fed up and Wolf needs a small break. Maybe I can jump in and start talking about the future of the Board. What I have discussed with Wolf the last few days, was that there is a Board mailing list that we can use.

And I'd like to encourage people to do so. So let me know if you are interested in doing this. And I will take this with Wolf together to get the right people subscribed, and send you an invite, invitation mail. Do you agree with that?

WOLF LUDWIG:

I think it's a good suggestion, and it's a necessity to have such a Board mailing list.

MANUEL SCHNEIDER: Okay. Can we see... I see approval from Lutz, and I see Olivier raising his hand, I see also approval from Yrjö. Maybe before I give, and Jordi. Maybe before I give the floor to Olivier, is there anybody opposing this suggestion? That doesn't seem to be the case, so please Olivier go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Manuel. It's Olivier for the transcript. I was just going to actually carry on with this. I guess with the new Board having been created, and with the fact that there is a use for the mailing list, then really all what needs to be done is for staff to update the mailing list.

And then the Board will be able to function with its mailing list, and that's an action item which staff can perform within the next hour I guess. So then you've got your mailing list to work on. The... Just to let you know, the Board mailing list I believe is open. In other words, it's only those people who are subscribed to it, so the Board members will be able to write to it, anyone can read it.

Or at least anyone can read the archives of it, and that all works with the transparency that we usually have. I see here, no Manuel will not create a new updated mailing list, it's staff that is supposed to do that and deals with mailing lists and so on. And the mailing list exists, it just needs to be updated with the names of the new Board members.

Okay. So that's one thing. Now with regards to the way the Board is going to work, I seem to recall, and I can't remember who it was, someone in a meeting, and I'm speaking here as an observer, someone had suggested that there would be leads, subject leads and organization like this, and perhaps it might be something that you might wish to discuss. That's all. Thanks.

MANUEL SCHNEIDER:

Thank you Olivier. Okay. Concerning the action item, so staff will help us to make sure that everyone on the current EURALO Board is subscribed to the list. And if it's done, somebody should send out an email. If somebody is not defined and there are no volunteers, I will do that.

I would like to help communication, and to help finding information. This is what I found the most problematic point in the last two years. Being part of an EURALO Board but without actually really being part of the Board, from an action point of view. What I would like to do is, my – I see my strengths, or what I could bring into the Board is basically with the communication needs.

So that's why I pick up these things like mailing lists, I pick up things like Wiki. And this has nothing to do with that Wiki is somewhere to do with the name of the ALSs I'm representing here. I would like to collect the information more easily to find, and I think the Wiki, even though I don't like this particular Wiki we have right now, but that's not a discussion here.

I think we should collect the documents and the information we have in a better way. And I ask if there are, if any opposition if I start rearranging some things, especially from the meetings, meeting minutes, the last meeting minutes. Because we have a huge, huge [? 0:42:17] tree of documents where you can find nothing, and I would like to clean that up a bit.

Okay. I hear no comments. Anyone wants to raise his or her hand on that? Is that, okay, Yrjö, please.

YRJÖ LANSIPURO:

Yeah. Thank you. Well, I'm all for activating the Board mailing list. Of course we should have used that if it exists. I think that what we should do on that list would be to take over the suggestions from the discussion we had in Lisbon, in the General Assembly, about what EURALO should do, how we could better connect the EURALO with the concerns of the ALSs, and so on and so forth.

So I would propose that we would have a fairly free-wheeling discussion on the Board list on how to, what suggestions from Lisbon we could pick up, and how to implement them in the future. Thank you.

MANUEL SCHNEIDER:

Thank you Yrjö. Yes I agree a lot, and I think it also goes very well with what Olivier has said. One of my ideas, which is not yet fully grown to the point that I have done something, but what I hear – is I would like to see one or two Wiki pages, which one of it could have more concrete information, saying like, “This is what EURALO does.”

So these are the working groups where we are interested in with the names of the people who are representing EURALO in those groups, these are events we are active in, and so on. So that someone who comes into EURALO can look at the document and say, “Okay. I would like to take part here, there, and there.” So that we have like a living document where we know what is currently going on, where are we active, or where are we looking for people getting active.

And maybe a second document which has a broader scope, and this would be more complicated to do, something like a EURALO strategy. So what do we want overall, not in concerns of working groups. But where are our priorities? How do we feel... What does EURALO do?

And normally in my past experience, we have done such things like once a year in a personal meeting. And because you need to sit together for a weekend and use a flip chart or something, and really start with brainstorming and then compile it into a strategy. And I don’t know how this could possibly work in EURALO.

Maybe you have some ideas. Wolf is raising his hand. Please Wolf, speak up.

WOLF LUDWIG:

Okay then Manuel, this is Wolf Ludwig for the record. Actually, I think these are great input, great ideas. Going in the very right direction. There is still a lot of space. There was too much routine in the part, we had more or less some very static work spaces, which was partly useful for me for organizing things and reasons, having a list of Board members, and all of this stuff.

But it was not too useful so far. Therefore what you were just suggesting and describing, would be a big step ahead. And it would be somehow my dream having for the first time, after several years, a group of Board member who is pushing and moving things ahead. Who is giving hand for any sort of improvements.

And it's always difficult to say at the beginning what will finally turn out as a next step, but anything that leads in the right direction, as you suggested many things, improve on the EURALO strategy. I think it should be a key issue and a key task of Board members to think, and reflect, and discuss, and finally to come up with a suggestion and to submit new strategy for EURALO, to the next General Assembly.

And once it's adopted by the General Assembly, it will be a binding key document again. So simply create... I fully support anything what you have said so far.

MANUEL SCHNEIDER:

Thank you. So does that mean we are going to create a strategy working group within EURALO? That's how I understood your amendment, or your suggestion.

WOLF LUDWIG:

It's not on my to decide. As I said earlier, I won't prescribe what the Board has to do, I can only support or give advice from my experience. But I think it's a great idea. I would strongly support it if it will happen, etcetera. And this are the needs for the next, needs a RALO in my opinion for the next future.

MANUEL SCHNEIDER: What are the interests of the other Board members here? I mean, I'm new here and I don't want to run in and take over the world or something. I just... After the personal meeting in Lisbon, I feel more comfortable to make suggestions [laughs]. So are there any people...

WOLF LUDWIG: Manuel, if you allow me one more remark. It's Wolf Ludwig again. This is a part of common culture. You will almost never find any interest yet. You have to get approval on whatever idea. I learned over the years as long as nobody is really objecting, then people have reasons or don't agree, they will stand up and will object.

But as long nobody is objecting, you can be somehow certain that the idea is approved, or is not rejected, etcetera, so you can know, you can feel that you are on a good way, etcetera. So adjust to it.

MANUEL SCHNEIDER: Okay. I will start with the document of current activities, and I ask you to add whatever comes to your mind, because I only know about a few things. I don't know all of the working groups, for instance, that are around, and I would like to have a list of all of the working groups, and everyone from EURALO who is part of the working group so we know that.

And we know who is working on ATLAS 2, At-Large Summit, and so on. What I would like to hear from you, or just ask into the group here, is are there any people who have particular experience with Confluence?

Because I do have a lot of Wiki experience, but I only work with Confluence at ICANN. So I have hardly any with Confluence.

WOLF LUDWIG: I think you can come back to staff, they are the most experienced with it.

MANUEL SCHNEIDER: Just looking... I mean, it's also about empowerment. Giving people like, you have to have a lot of small things to do, so people would like to be interested in picking up something. It's more the abstract things to do, it's very hard to find people or to get people to become active. So I'm just asking.

Are there any volunteers for the strategic working group? Who of you would like to do this? I see Jordi raising his hand. Jordi you want to say something? I see Yrjö, Lutz, and there is another hand, just for the record. So Jordi, Yrjö, Lutz has taken his hand back. Lutz?

LUTZ DONNERHACKE: Hi. Just want to say that I will try to contact with you on the strategic plans of EURALO.

MANUEL SCHNEIDER: Okay. Wolf? You just raised your hand to be part of the group or you want to say something?

WOLF LUDWIG: No, no, I want to be part of the group.

MANUEL SCHNEIDER: Jordi as well.

JORDI IPARRAGUIRRE: This is Jordi for the record. I basically do agree that we need to have the working group to define the strategy. If it will not be too complex, later today we have the bylaws that say already the basics, so it's basically taking that, defining it as a [? 0:53:30], then we find the actions that will drive us there.

So we know what we do and why we do. And that's all. But yes, I will participate.

MANUEL SCHNEIDER: I see. And Yrjö.

YRJÖ LANSIPURO: Yes. Thank you. Yeah, I'm really to participate. To my mind, it's not a question of tools, whether it's Wiki or Confluence, or whatever, just plain ordinary email. It's not about the tools, it's about the substance. And it's very much about the *raison d'être* of EURALO, and what we should do to represent the end users of Europe, which is a huge and very diverse group.

So I really call for some really strategic discussion about why we are and what we do. Thank you.

MANUEL SCHNEIDER: Thank you. Yes. The question was raised, is the working group Board members only? I wouldn't say so, but of course we have to start somewhere and if we have a core group of people being active at this, than it is very good. I think... I see that since we have found some ground to work, reach out to the other EURALO members.

But I guess that that will be little feedback, but we will see. If all is good, the group should be good with maybe six to eight people, because otherwise it would be complicated. A comment I want to make to Yrjö is, you're totally right that it's not about the technical means, they are just tools.

But there are different tools and I see a big difference between using only plain mail or using something like a Wiki where you can compile data. The Wiki is... The email is great for discussing things, for forming an opinion, for commenting people. But it's very bad to actually know what we have decided, or to come to a conclusion.

So this is where I prefer the Wiki. Or let's say, any document you can collaborative work with, where you can just add your comments and compile a common corpus of text or something. Yeah. So this is from my perspective, the two things I have to say. Are there anymore comments or more ideas about how to work in the future? Hello?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE VOICE: [Transcriber's note: The audio is very soft] Hello? Hello? Hi this is [? 0:56:36] for the record. Thank you Manual, thanks a lot. And yes, I

agree on what has been said, I mean I was hoping [? 0:56:43]
...members of EURALO.

But would make it smaller than maybe eight, basically for a matter of simplicity and speed, otherwise it will take too long. Six, maybe five, tops. Maybe then from there just compile in a Wiki or email or whatever, but very [? 0:57:05] the least of [? 0:57:07], and then share that with the rest of the team, and the group, and accept an amendment and [? 0:57:14].

But go there ready with something with them, that makes sense, and that speeds up the process. And then of course, after that, accepting comments and whatever.

MANUEL SCHNEIDER:

Yes. That makes a lot of sense, thank you. I see Lutz, I see his hand.

LUTZ DONNERHACKE:

Lutz Donnerhacker for the record. I'd like to bring up another subject, what can or must be done. Most discussions in EURALO and other ICANN groups, ICANN standpoint only a core of few people doing the same things all over the time. We had talked about the subject in Lisbon, I'm talking about outreach and in reach, and I urge everybody here to look at their own peer groups, their working groups, outside ICANN to tell about ICANN.

To translate interesting topics, point out interesting or group relevant parts of it, and say, "Here, have a look. If you have a question, you can ask me." And be active. That's the only thing that works in order to get

input from the community and to represent will intimate use out there.
Thanks.

MANUEL SCHNEIDER:

Yes, thanks a lot. This is what we always should keep in the back of our head obviously, because that's why we are here actually, in EURALO, to represent our ALSs and the interests of those. I'm already working on a document on the Wiki. Activities get engaged, where I would try to compile just the basic activities and things to be amended and completed of course.

Is this the place where I can give a back report? Maybe staff can help me with this? Is somebody aware that there is a problem with creating pages on the Wiki with Firefox? Because I can't enter a title, because there is a HTML error. I can manually fix it by using Fire Back, and manually add the value attribute in the HTML code.

But this is obviously is not the way it should work. But I don't know if, who can fix that. Who is responsible for setting up and running the Wiki, because this must be a general bug.

MATT ASHTIANI:

Hi. This is Matt Ashtiani from staff. I can try to answer your question. I know a lot users do use Firefox, so this is the first I've heard of it. So if you want to have a conversation offline, I can type my email address into the chat and we can try to work it out, because I haven't heard of it yet but maybe it exists, maybe it's a recent update that they've put into the Wiki and it's a new bug.

But I can definitely look into it.

MANUEL SCHNEIDER: Yes thank you. Yeah we should definitely take it outside this meeting. I just wanted to use the forum here to ask where to get help, because it's annoying problem. Thank you. So we're at agenda item four, right? Next steps and how to organize the Board work and functioning.

We have talked about what work a bit. What are next steps? I mean, my suggestions were quite broad in a very general thing, what we could do for the next year or how we could find out what to do for the next year. Are there any more concrete remarks? Anything I have missed?

I mean, I haven't said so much.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE VOICE: I was just typing...

MANUEL SCHNEIDER: Yeah. Jordi proposes that we need to set items priority and deadlines. Yeah. I'm already starting to compile the activities page. We have in a minute, who is on the strategic working group, right? That's yeah, I see it here in the action items. Wolf, Jordi, Yrjö. I think there was also Lutz and me of course.

And what about having regular Board calls? Thank you Wolf. This is an important topic. I would suggest to have one every month, and maybe find a regular schedule so it's harder to forget about it. Because you know, every first day or something. Lutz would prefer [? 1:03:10] need.

Are there anymore opinions on this? Silvia suggested staff can help us setting up a recurring time. Actually, I would prefer a recurring time. From my other Board work, I found out that if you do it on a per needed basis, then we often ended up having two weeks of discussion to find the next date.

After it already took quite some time that somebody had the idea that maybe it's necessary to have a Board meeting, so the intervals get too big, too long and it's hard to keep up with the actual work. So it's sometimes, it's just easier to have a fixed schedule and collect items to discuss beforehand.

This is another place where the Wiki is interesting. We could have just a general page where we just collect everything that we think we need to be discussed. And when the next Board meeting comes up, we just open the page and look what we have gathered, and go through it.

And the more regularly will do it, the smaller this list will be and the easier it will be to go through it and actually be able to talk about everything. If you do it on a per needed basis, it can might end up with a huge list, you cannot deal with it in one meeting.

Let me read the chat. We decided before or after EURALO monthly call. For the next steps, a regular schedule is better. Says Lutz, "EURALO is on the third Tuesday of the month at 18:00 UTC." Jordi would go for a fixed schedule. If needed, cancel one week in advance if needed. Wolf agrees.

Okay. My suggestion would be that obviously it makes sense to have the Board call before the EURALO call, so we could go into the EURALO

call and say, “Okay. This is what we have currently been working at and so on.” So be prepared for the EURALO call, right?

Sandra, Yrjö agree. Okay. Good. Third Tuesday, should we stick with the Thursday? So just like today? Thursday evening? And then we have the weekend in between to work on action items if needed, then we have the EURALO call on the following Tuesday. Does that make sense?

Second Thursday of the month says Gisella. Yeah. Thanks. May I get approval or opposition for that? For second Thursday of the month, 19:00 UTC? I see three approval, one oppose. Lutz you might want to suggest a better date or...

LUTZ DONNERHACKE: Lutz for the record. No, I’m busy on the Thursday evenings most of the time. So just oppose it.

MANUAL SCHNEIDER: Okay. Thanks. I see. Then maybe we should setup another Doodle to find out the general availability of the Board I would say. Because otherwise I think it would be hard. It would have been nice if that, if the today’s time would have been suitable for everyone also in the future, but if not, I guess it’s impossible to find another date now by discussing it.

May I ask to have a Doodle poll on general availability of Board members in the week before the EURALO calls? I will... Gisella will offer a few days and some times. Thank you very much. 30 minutes before

the EURALO call, I think is not enough honestly. Maybe in the future, if we play well together [laughs] but I don't think that right now it would work.

I think we should give us the time to be able to discuss something for an hour or two hours, and especially when it comes to strategy or these things. But of course, it's up to you. I mean, I'm not making the rules here.

JORDI IPARRAGUIRRE: Hi, this is Jordi. I would prefer more time that you propose, not 30 minutes just in case.

MANUEL SCHNEIDER: Okay. So Gisella will send us a Doodle poll, so we will have that one fixed. So that was Wolf's suggestion of having regular Board meetings. Any further suggestions for next steps and how to organize the Board work and functioning?

JORDI IPPAGUIRRE: Jordi again for the record. Just a couple of things I wrote in the chat, maybe just past way. We have to hurry up, it's making the splitting the tasks we are expecting form the elected secretary, for the Secretariat. And making clear, as the bylaws say, that well, the Board may decide to fire, to dismiss, or to whatever you want to use that word, that person is not complying with [? 1:09:59] from them.

I mean, in my perception, I mean I'm completely new, but my perception is that there has been a kind of well, there was no way to change the script and that Secretariat was not doing the job he was expecting, we all expecting, or whatever. But now this how to be clear, having read the bylaws, it is really clear. They have [? 1:10:23] registered to that, we are not inventing the wheel, and let's go and make it clear from the very beginning. That's all, thanks.

MANUEL SCHNEIDER:

Thanks a lot. I think this is a very good point. My suggestion here, because I have thought about clarifying and thus defining a few things within EURALO. And my suggestion would be that we start writing some documents. And I don't mean some overburdening bureaucracy here. I mean a few simple lean documents, where we just write, okay. This is the Secretariat, these are the tasks of the Secretariat. So there could be one document just defining what is the Secretariat, what does it do, and what should it do, and so on.

And we have another document describing the Board. And this is also where we can say we have monthly Board meetings, and suggestions to the agenda, go to this page, and the minutes you can find there, and so just a few practical things, just in a written down form so they are easy to find.

And also if you have someone new on the Board, you can say here is the document, read about the Secretariat, read about the Board. These are like really simple policies, let's call it like kind of policies. But I'm not thinking about legal documents and everything, but yeah. Make it just a

practical help to get things done and to not discuss things over and over again, and reinvent the wheel. I see Olivier raising their hand.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much Manuel. It's Olivier speaking. Just two things. First, I would be glad that someone didn't give me the microphone right when putting the hand up, because that results in the hand going down and you not being able to see that the hand is up, since it keeps on going up and down.

That's one thing. The other thing was to do with the position descriptions. I just wanted to alert you that some of these position descriptions are already in the EURALO bylaws and organizing documents. These are on the Wiki, you might wish to take that as a starting point. So as not to have to reinvent the wheel.

And then, I guess, from there you can build on it. And I think it is an excellent idea to go forward and build on this. In fact, we've been asked on the ALAC side of things to do more documentation about where the duties are of people sitting on the ALAC, etcetera. If this RALO can do write lists of the duties of the different officers, and provide some kind of introduction for new officers and so on, that would be fantastic.

And I hope that the work in this RALO can then be shared with other RALOs. But I'm looking in the future. Thank you.

MANUEL SCHNEIDER: Thank you very much Olivier. I would like to give the floor to Jordi.

JORDI IPARRAGUIRRE: This is Jordie, yeah. Thank you. Yeah, I agree with Olivier also. I mean, when we read the bylaws just to double check that everything was fine regarding the second round of the elections, it was clear that the role of the Secretariat is described there. So let's not reinvent the wheel, let's just copy that, maybe elaborate it a little bit, [? 1:14:16] size.

So for instance, I don't know, taking care of writing the minutes together with the staff, to double check that everything is done. Being sure that the meeting are properly, I don't know, called for, for the face to face meetings, or whatever.

Giving some support to the Chair of whatever, to the Board. Let's think about that, but it's already there so just expand it to make it very measurable, let's say. Okay? So it's an action that has to be done so it's written there. It's not just giving support to, no, no, no. It's something more than just giving support. It has to be really more specific that maybe has been in the bylaws. Thanks.

MANUEL SCHNEIDER: Yes. I so agree [laughs]. Thank you very much. So who wants to add something? Who has further suggestion? So we have it in the minutes, setting up these documents with the task of the Secretariat and so on. Sébastien is typing something. Someone else who wants to speak up, please raise your hand.

Wolf please.

WOLF LUDWIG:

Yes. Wolf Ludwig for the record. Whatever the outcome tomorrow night will be, I think, what was discussed over the last 10 minutes. It's exactly what I would have liked to suggest from my side. I am pleased that it comes from the new Board. That the new Board feels the same, or thinks in the same way that direction.

It's not a wishful situation. If the situation... If a composition of the leadership doesn't work, and if it's more or less the Chair's responsibility only to get along with it or not to get along with it, I think this would be a crucial role of the next Board to take over and step in to this function that we need...

We need performance criteria, which are in the bylaws, etcetera. So that nobody could have argued if any substance in the past, I didn't know what to do in the Secretariat's function. It's not complicated at all, it's rather simple. And one intent, if you, in the bylaws, give a clear, a more clear idea about what is needed as tasked by [? 1:17:25] for Secretariat.

And I would be very pleased in support could step in and having more important or even a crucial role in specifics. Thanks.

MANUEL SCHNEIDER:

Yeah thank you. And thank everybody who has engaged in this discussion. I mean, we see increasing participation here. It seems there are several people who are interested in doing that. And I hope that we can further give this, further grow this interest we see right now into concrete action.

If there are no further suggestions right now, I would go to the next agenda item, point five. [? 1:18:25]. Do we have any suggestions point four yet? Okay. I see no hands. I see approval. I guess that means we should move forward. Agenda item point five, do we have any additional things which have not been, at the end of the day, which we should discuss?

That doesn't seem to be the case. But I see that Wolf is still typing. Okay. Then one last question before I invite you to have a cool beer or a nice wine, and nice end of this evening without EURALO. Question from my side, if we want to do these strategic things and so on, would we have any needs of personal meetings?

How could we organize this? In a less... In a cheap, not expensive, way? Lutz, please.

LUTZ DONNERHACKE:

Lutz for the record. We had several successes in just asking for people for other event takes place, and ask who is coming to the same event. In most cases, quite a good participation can be made by just announcing a special great meeting venue or something else in Europe that somebody is going to this event, and asking who is coming to the same event and just on the Board mailing list.

[? 1:20:43] information that you are on the special point, and special point of interest, and if other people come to that event, we are able to discuss a lot of things face to face. But I do not think that there is a [? 1:21:01] or timeframe for regular face to face meetings for the Board. Thanks.

MANUEL SCHNEIDER: Yeah. Thank you. I think that's a good suggestion. We should keep this in mind and maybe if somebody sees an event that would be, could be interesting for the others, within the EURALO and the Board, then please speak up. Because I think especially with strategic things, there is no way around personal meetings. You can't do everything just by email.

And I mean, I don't have a certain thing or a certain event I want to discuss now, or certain need for a personal meeting. But I want to just have that in mind on a more general note to be aware of opportunities for personal Board meetings and to take these opportunities.

Even in Wiki media, we have at least like two personal meetings a year because it doesn't work otherwise. Okay. I somehow stole the chairing of this meeting from Wolf. And I think I should give this back for the closing of this meeting.

WOLF LUDWIG: Well I have to strongly contradict Manuel, that's exactly the way it should be. As I said, at the very beginning, I see no necessities by me, by the Chair. If it's a monthly call, it's good enough or it's enough but I think as at the Board meeting, the regular Board meeting, it should be conducted and done in a different way.

Also, including the agenda setting for the first push for this call, it was more or less clear that Gisella came back to me and asked me do we have some agenda suggestions. But for the next or subsequent Board

meetings, I would suggest that on the Board list, the agenda is behind, not only one person can prescribe or suggest items that is a call process, etcetera.

And if some responses, suggestions arrive, then agenda can be made. And there should be other chairs, you can agree, besides it will be done by you, etcetera. A very good way you did it tonight Manuel, or in a rotation, rotating way. I think we are on a best way. To me, it's very encouraging having attended to this Board call tonight.

And it's a huge step forward already. Thanks a lot, and thanks for all of your participation. It was a very productive meeting. And I hope we will continue in this manner and in this since. Soon Gisella will set the poll to find a suitable date, in the second week, as we said before. The regular monthly meeting, etcetera, and once the date are fixed and the list will be established, I think this will get sort of dynamic that is really needed for good Board work.

Thanks to all of you. And thanks especially to you Manuel, this was a very great moment to have you, that you had forces, moderation of the most important part of tonight's agenda.

MANUEL SCHNEIDER: Thank you very much everyone.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE VOICE: Thank you. Thank you all.

[Various thank you and goodbyes]

[END OF TRANSCRIPT]