
JULIA CHARVOLEN: This is Julia. Good morning, good afternoon and good evening everyone. Welcome to the LACRALO Strategy Planning on Thursday, 20th of June 2013 at 20:00 UTC. On the call today we have Johnny Laureano. On the Spanish channel as well, Alejandro Pisanty and José Arce. And on the English channel we have Dev Anand Teelucksingh. We have no apologies.

And from Staff we have Silvia Vivanco and myself, Julia Charvolen. May I remind all participants to please state their names, not only for transcript purposes but also for the interpreters to identify you on the other language channel. Thank you and over to you.

SILVIA VIVANCO: This is Silvia Vivanco speaking. Thank you very much Julia. I will now give the floor to Alejandro.

ALEJANDRO PISANTY: This is Alejandro Pisanty speaking. Can you hear me?

JULIA CHARVOLEN: Yes, Alejandro, we hear you.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Alejandro, go ahead please.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

ALEJANDRO PISANTY:

So there you have our phone number so that you can call me back in case there is any problem. My proposal is very brief and short. We are to see and discuss if there is anything important to close the matrix work and to determine the steps to finish and deliver the Working Group's work for LACRALO.

We have been working... These activities have been requested to all of the Members, particularly to Johnny Laureano, so we can now proceed with the Agenda and discuss the ICANN strategic planning for Latin America and the Caribbean once we have the results and the priorities of the regions in a first [inaudible 00:04:35] so that we can see how we can proceed.

We need to take into account that the strategic plan has to do with ICANN. Of course we have to take it into account for our strategic planning framework. In any case, I think we should bring this work to an end. José Arce is also suggesting to close and to form a report, draft a report. So I would like to ask specifically if you agree with this? I would like to ask Dev and Johnny Laureano if you agree with this.

JOHNNY LAUREANO:

I think we have been working very hard with this, really, in relation to the strategic planning of the region. The level of skills of the Members was enough for us to keep on working so that we can now draft a basic document and determine the action items for LACRALO or the actions to

follow. So I would like to concentrate on that work and I would like to summarize, please, so that we can have a basic document.

So we will have to discuss with Alejandro and Alberto, who are the main contributors, if they agree with this, so that we can, as I said before, draft a document for the region to provide support. I think that the ICANN strategic planning for Latin America has made a lot of progress and this has to do with the ICANN policy.

I think we have made progress on that. And in terms of the strategic planning and the analysis, together with the activities of the Strategic Planning Working Group, I think we can draft a document and it can be seen and implemented throughout time. So I do agree with the fact of closing this so that we can keep on working with LACRALO. The idea is to align the objective with LACRALO and ICANN and see how we can implement this strategic plan.

The idea would be this: to close this issue and keep on working and to draft a document that might be useful as a reference for our Chair, José Arce, to have some guidelines to follow. We have been working a lot. We have enough information and I think this is enough to keep on moving.

ALEJANDRO PISANTY:

Thank you very much Johnny. Dev, you have the floor. Go ahead please.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you very much. Dev Anand Teelucksingh speaking. I can tell even from the interpreters, I can hear it in your voices that there is a sense that we need to finish this document and come up with ways to really have a deliverable to LACRALO so that LACRALO can take this and move on. I would say that presenting the [Swat? 00:09:48] as is, I think potentially it may be problematic.

The reason why I think it may be problematic and I think Johnny Laureano's idea of creating a document is a good idea because I think what has to happen is the document needs to go into the bullet points, so it's clarifying what the points mean. And a key reason why this needs to be done is because there is a lot of misunderstanding in LACRALO, where two or three persons in LACRALO look at some words, people come away with different interpretations.

So I think it would probably require some proper document, probably explaining a paragraph or two or three for each of the bullet points. And it's possible that by doing that some of these bullet points could be condensed into one key fact, key weakness or opportunity or strength. So I agree: we need to close this off, but I think we really need to have that document so that having a few paragraphs for each of the bullet points, so that everybody understands what we are talking about.

Otherwise... You know, I don't want to deliver it and then nothing happens. I want to deliver this so that people can think about it and then figure out ways of how we can go forward. That's it. Thank you.

ALEJANDRO PISANTY: Thank you very much Dev. José, do you have a comment regarding what Dev has said?

SILVIA VIVANCO: José cannot write or type on the AC room right now. I would like to say that it is a good idea to create some specific action lines, complete action lines or action items to be posted on a document so that we can identify everything. That is all I wanted to say. Thank you very much.

ALEJANDRO PISANTY: I will repeat the question: José, do you have any comment regarding that comment?

JOHNNY LAUREANO: Alejandro, could you please explain to me the idea of closing, because we need to draft a report and this will be a final closing. So I'm kind of concerned because we are not closing the issue in fact. The idea is to close the idea and to create a document or draft a document.

ALEJANDRO PISANTY: José is typing something. He says: "I don't think this is wrong or that this is bad, but I do believe that we need to have a not-too-long document, a readable document because long documents are not read by the regions." So this is his answer to Dev's comment.

ALEJANDRO PISANTY: I think we need to draft a brief document detailing or explaining the thought analysis. I am also reading Dev's comment. Dev says: "Yes, because the points will require some explanation for all of LACRALO to understand." My question, Dev, is who do you think should draft that document, and how can we enlarge this document to have 40 points so that we can finish and have a brief document as soon as possible?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Well, there's a chance that we could divide the work amongst us four to try to take each of those points and try to write our own explanations for each of these points? I understand the concern about it being a very long report, but I really do think we need to really explain what each of these points mean because I predict people reading this will think different things and different interpretations.

I will volunteer to help do it; to write up a few of these topics, but perhaps José, Alejandro. Johnny, we could spread the work among ourselves and attempt to put together the one document. That's my suggestion and I'm willing to give it a shot, to actually do this. I know everybody's busy but I think this is important to do. Thank you. That's it.

ALEJANDRO PISANTY: I see Johnny Laureano is typing something on the AC room so I will wait for him to stop typing. José, would you like to say something?

JOHNNY LAUREANO:

I think that we need to take into account what Dev is suggesting, because he has great experience and he has been working extensively for ICANN. We also need to take into account José's experience. We need to work together to produce a useful document. The creation of this plan requires an overall addition so we can start working – Dev can initiate the work.

For example, in three or four days we can have an overall document with all of the points and then we should go deeper into the idea. I, for example, could take certain actions or bullet points and then, for example, Alejandro could close the document and take it to the LACRALO community. I think we can take apart the work together so that we can have a final document that is useful for all of us. Not only for LACRALO.

I think we are all responsible for acting on the same line. We need to work aligned. Aligned with the users, aligned with ICANN, aligned with the LACRALO community interests. So I would suggest that Dev initiates the document, then once he's started the document I will receive the document and I'll keep on working on the document.

Then I'll pass the document onto José and with all his experience as the Chair of LACRALO, he might contribute to the document and finally we can give it to you, as the final person, to close the document so that we can have a final document that is useful to all of us. This is my idea.

If we analyze the thought analysis we have 40 bullets but only three or four have to do with these strengths. So really, I don't think that we only have three or four bullets for the strengths. I think we need to

develop these, taking into account an overall point of view. As I said before, Dev can start working with the document. After three or four days, he passes onto the document onto me. I keep on working with the document then I pass it onto José and then onto you, so that you can close the document.

ALEJANDRO PISANTY:

I will try to arrange all the opinions and organize all the opinions and points of view. I think this Working Group should present a final document for us to keep on working and not to reach conclusions. That's why we need to analyze the strengths, the opportunities, the risks. For me, this work is already done. There is great participation within the community.

I think they should take the points and decide with which points they agree and with which points they do not agree and then decide if there are any other points to be concluded. We need to have an overall vision. [Interpreters apologize: Alejandro's audio is not clear.]

We need to take into account the bylaws of 1998. The participation of the community should be open so we agree with having a more detailed document so on Monday we can set a deadline for the document and after that, after the final editing, I will draft the final report and I will give it to José.

So the idea is to create a new Working Group with new Members from LACRALO. We can keep on working, if we wish to do it, to finish the work. But the idea is to have new volunteers from the regions. Of

course we can see this as an agreement regarding the thought analysis, but I think we have to allow the community to...

SILVIA VIVANCO: Alejandro proposes to resolve this Working Group, given that 80% are not active.

ALEJANDRO PISANTY: So the idea is to allow the community to say how we should continue. Perhaps we should start from scratch or perhaps the Chair and the Secretariat might continue. The other important point to discuss is the Agenda for the rest of the strategic planning. So we need to take into account the calls on other Working Groups and the other options that I mentioned, is the group call at the very beginning of the week.

The other options we have to keep on working: in order to have success we need an external facilitator with enough skills and with no interest. So this facilitator is part of the strategic planning and is generally hired from third parties. So I think that José should be in charge of finding out if ICANN can manage this or can fund this, to see if we can have an external facilitator and to see if there are people interested in playing this role.

Once we get the money, or if ICANN provides the money for that, then we will need to focus on the characteristics of the person so as to work properly. This person should be bilingual, multi-cultural. And then we should work amongst ourselves. These are the decisions to be made and we need to have the approval of the community. But we have the

operating responsibility and we are delivering something for the community to work and the idea is that they work based on operational principle. Now I'll give the floor to the following speaker.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Can I go ahead?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Dev is asking for the floor. Dev, go ahead please.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you very much Alejandro. Yes, I think once the report is complete that documents... Okay, this is what our strengths, our weaknesses, our opportunities and our threats. We can, I think, once the report is completed and submitted to the LACRALO, the group can be dissolved, as such. And I guess it's up to LACRALO to really figure out how we really address these issues.

I heard you talk about an external facilitator and so forth, I suppose that those types of things can be explored, but I think maybe we're, potentially, thinking too far ahead. We just need to really focus... I think our key thing is to really produce the report for LACRALO and then hopefully get some ideas as to how we boost our strengths and opportunities and reduce our weaknesses and threats.

One final thing is the timing, obviously. I imagine you'd like to be finished with this as soon as possible, but I do note the upcoming public

ICANN meeting next month, so it would be difficult. But as I say, we just have to get started and work to the best of our abilities and time to finish the report. That's it. I'd like to hear what José has to say.

JOSE ARCE: Can you hear me?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, go ahead please José.

JOSE ARCE: Oh, good. Finally I have a microphone and I can express my views. Well, I think so far the discussion has been productive, but personally I am not fully convinced regarding this proposal of finalizing this as soon as possible and dissolving the group and then seeing what it is that the community wants. It is really complicated to come up with a proposal along these lines at this stage of our ongoing work.

Plenty of thoughts come to my mind right now, so I will try to put them in order. First of all, between now and Monday, as Alejandro proposed, we should strive to have this document ready. I will cooperate as Johnny indicated. I shall try to complete the strengths in our thought analysis because like him I believe that we do have more strengths. So I will submit this to other Members opinions, but I would like to see that thought box a little bit more populated, and surely that will be agreed after our analysis.

Secondly, I wanted to say something regarding Alejandro, regarding the external facilitator. Well, personally, I will consult Staff. However, let me tell you that LACRALO does not have its own budget so we need to submit this request to the ALAC At-Large community. I believe this is rather difficult, because as we know, we have fiscal years to observe.

These could have been proposed for this ongoing fiscal year. And if we present or submit our request now, probably it will be allocated in the next fiscal year. So if you all agree we should seek somebody within the community that is not an At-Large Member, I am not against the idea of a facilitator and I believe this idea may work out very well if we do have a work agenda and a sustainable plan, in order to carry out this work.

Also, I wanted to address the regional strategic plan, that unlike this one has made progress rather quickly and... Oh, Dev, you are a Member of that group! The implementation phase is about to start, so we need to take into account what is going on in that regional strategic planning working group or groups. And we need to try to make progress in parallel. Well, Dev is a Member of that group that I am mentioning and he can update us on their plans so that they can coincide with the LACRALO proposal.

And thirdly, I wanted to say that at some point, Alejandro said that several issues should be deferred to the Chair and the Secretariat – that is Silva and myself. I have no problem at all, but we should see how we are going to do this because this is within the framework of a Working Group, and responsibilities have already been taken. So if this is

Alejandro's proposal, once the group is dissolved, well, we should see if the community agrees it should be dissolved.

I believe that whatever decision is made, first of all, all the Working Group Members have to agree, and if the Working Group is dissolved and another decision has to be made then it is the community that has to decide on the next steps and the decisions to be made. However, Silva and myself have always tried to be involved in all the Working Groups; supporting them, helping.

In fact, I believe that what took place today on this call may be the starting point for the Governance Working Group that will be having a call next week. So this is what I wanted to share with you. These are my comments. Feel free to reply to my comments, Alejandro, Dev, Johnny...

ALEJANDRO PISANTY:

The group has to bring its work to a close and after that we do not have any further scope. Of course, as you say, it is up to the community to dissolve the group, to reform or change the group's mission, but the group's work needs to come to a close. We need to have our deliverables. Now, if after that people do not like the deliverables, well, we have the following process.

That is a process by which the community as a whole is going to redo the thought. So I am giving you tools in order to facilitate your job as the Chair. If we need to continue leading this initiative internally, I will gladly do so. But this has to do with representation for all the community. Strategic planning has deadlines. We cannot prolong this

work endlessly. The regional strategic planning group came to a halt because they are prioritizing their initiative.

They met for days and they made some progress, so it is not fair to compare ourselves to that group. We have made progress and we also held elections in between, so we... [Audio issues] If we want the community to participate we cannot keep on waiting. In strategic planning, José, in any other initiatives, the leader has responsibilities and we need to handle this process to improve this document in this case.

If we continue improving this, maybe we'll get close to the end result and maybe we'll deviate from it. We need to deliver this to the community so that the community can express their views and can validate whether we have understood the community properly or not. If it is not in line with what the community wants then participants may have to change. But we have a commitment toward the community. We do need to bring this work to a close.

JOSE ARCE:

We have very few minutes left before the top of the hour, but I would like to reply to Alejandro. I believe, and before I continue, can you hear me?

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Yes, of course, go ahead please.

JOSE ARCE:

Thank you Silvia. I believe that Alejandro is trying to make me responsible for something for which I am not. At the time I accepted to Chair this group and get it started and... [speakers overlap] The first thing the community will say is: “Well, the result of this document... Let’s see. If it’s somehow in line with the mission, the vision, the objective that this group said initially, well, quite frankly, I don’t know what that mission and that vision is, because I don’t see them reflected anywhere.”

When the four working groups were created, each group was independent and they chose somebody that would be responsible for each of these groups. I don’t know why the Chair and the Secretariat now have to be responsible for these groups. Of course, we are jointly responsible with the people that are participating, that at a certain point in time assumed or took a commitment to draft a deliverable and deliver it by a certain deadline.

Neither Silvia nor myself can be responsible for this 80% lack of participation. We cannot do the job or the work that the group should have done, and we cannot do a job that the person that accepted to lead the group and took decisions or made decisions as the one you mentioned, Alejandro, that is to stop the group’s work on account of the elections.

And I haven’t heard a single member of this group in agreement to that position. Once more, I circulated an email suggesting that you shouldn’t stop working on account of an election. To date, I do not know why or I

don't know any sustainable or logical reason why you stopped working on account of the elections. I really cannot understand that.

I am deeply concerned about this group, about the decisions that are made. I believe your work has to come to a close and I don't want the record to state that it is only the Chair and the Secretariat's responsibility, when the working groups had a defined scope right from the beginning, which was quite different from what is being said now. And you are not focusing on solving issues but rather on assigning responsibilities to other people, which is not correct in my opinion. Thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Dev would like to take the floor, so Dev, go ahead please.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Thank you. I think we all need to step back a bit and just take things in sequence here. What we have to do is look at the SWAT and I think prepare a report on that. And let's get to that first step before trying to come up with solutions and so forth. We really need to document the SWAT and get that delivered. Okay?

Now, I think once LACRALO can understand the report and can comment on it and so forth, I think it would be more beneficial that the report be circulated to all Members of LACRALO for everybody to comment on it. So what could happen is that the work that we do to document the SWAT, we publish that as a draft, just like how ICANN does public comments – there is a draft published for public comments – and we get

the feedback from LACRALO Members as to whether they understand this, they need clarification, they disagree, whatever.

If that discussion has to happen, it's during a LACRALO monthly call. I think that's a great opportunity there for getting feedback. And then we can take that into account. Maybe somebody can come up with something new that we did not consider and then we produce a final report regarding strategic planning.

With regards to things such as, what were the overall goals and objectives and so on, I should point out that I would say that two working groups; particularly the LACRALO Strategic Working Group, and the LACRALO Governance Working Group, had some overlap in the sense that... Well, I think one of the challenges LACRALO had was in terms of governance and in terms of how we understand what governance means and how different Members interpret governance.

This leads to clashes and the difficulties that we sometimes face in collaborating with each other. Unfortunately that work has not really happened to an extent that I would have liked, because I thought the governance could have impacted the work of the strategic group and then this group could have impacted the work of the governance group. But that hasn't happened.

But I would say that is now water under the bridge. That time has gone. We are here now, 20th of June 2013, and let's take things one step at a time. Let's deliver this, let's work on and focus on delivering the report for the SWAT and then circulate it to all the Members as a draft report

and get feedback, and then decide whether this addition changes the need to be made.

And then the Chair and Secretariat, or the LACRALO could decide whether to A) extend this Working Group mandate, if it wants to, or; B) if it wants to create an entirely new Working Group and call it a different name. Fine. But to be quite honest, I'm sure it's going to be the same persons that come into this Working Group.

Not to offend anyone, but we're just discussing semantics. Let's just deliver the report. This report should have been completed a while ago but due to time constraints and so forth... That's it. Let's focus on the report and not worry about what's been said after. That's my suggestion. Let's focus on that. Let's focus on that deliverable. That's it.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Thank you Dev, now Alejandro Pisanty has the floor. Go ahead please.

ALEJANDRO PISANTY:

Thank you Silvia. José, if we can bring this stage to a close, this Working Group will have met or observed its mandate because that was our mandate: to collect or gather data for a preliminary analysis. That is what we are doing. Then we had to come up with a working proposal in order to develop this.

The purpose is to carry out this work according to the planning methods and we have a working schedule or calendar, which would have to be

agreed on by all the organizations in a preliminary document. The proposal was to have wide community engagement and to have a face-to-face meeting with a very thorough preparation for remote participation. This is included in the group's report. I would like to make some point of clarification regarding what José said – José, I see no delay in this group and you do not want us to present this. And this is not the way in which strategic planning works.

I do not agree with Dev's proposal to submit this to LACRALO in order to get their feedback. Our job, our work has to be concluded, and what LACRALO has to do with our document is to initiate the strategic planning formally, on the basis of this document. Of course, if the community does not think that divisions are a weakness, for instance, well, it is the community that will decide that.

If a group member does not agree with language barriers being a weakness, well, that may be changed, but we need a deadline to bring this to a close and...

SILVIA VIVANCO: Excuse me for interrupting Alejandro. I have difficulty hearing you. There is some feedback on the line.

ALEJANDRO PISANTY: Well, Dev, José, please mute your speakers so that we can avoid having feedback on the line.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Kindly mute your speakers. Alejandro, can you quickly summarize your previous comment because we are ten minutes past the hour. Remember that our interpreters are working extra time for us.

ALEJANDRO PISANTY: Well, we observed or met this group's mandate 100% because we drafted the document. If anyone does not agree with this document, we have until Monday to finish the discussion and deliver it. Then the second part of the mandate was to come up with a procedure to perform planning on the basis of this matrix.

The proposal is to have a face-to-face meeting with wide remote participation, shared or led by a facilitator to analyze the thought matrix and to set priorities. Maybe we can use a strength to revert a weakness. We are not delayed but if we submit this as the final document or the Working Group's final document, then we will have a delay.

Then regarding the group's work coming to a halt because of the elections, well, the idea was to wait for the results because that was going to significantly impact upon our strengths and weaknesses analysis. And that was the case. We had a projection within the group and we had different positions regarding the elections because the outcome of the election might lead to lack of legitimacy in the chosen leadership – which was not the case. Apparently the community is satisfied with the election.

So that point is no longer such an important priority in the analysis. [Interpreters apologies. Audio inaudible] What results from the

weakness that I have described is that the community will seek concrete actions. If the community does not ratify the analysis then other priorities will be set, for the purposes of improving unity among the regions or sub-regions.

It is justified to have postponed the analysis until the end of the elections. The Working Group has not presented any conclusions based on the Chair's weaknesses. We are presenting a conclusion towards which the entire community is willing to work. That is for the sake of unity in the region.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Thank you Alejandro. We are now bringing this call to a close. Let us agree on a deadline to finalize or to conclude the final report.

ALEJANDRO PISANTY:

I believe that Monday would be the deadline to change or document this SWAT matrix. Then after that we need to conclude the report with the convergence of objectives. If necessary, we will also schedule another conference call. If not, we will finalize our work by email.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Excuse me, the audio was not very clear. We have until Monday to finish the SWAT matrix?

ALEJANDRO PISANTY:

Exactly, and then one more week to finalize the report.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay, perfect.

ALEJANDRO PISANTY: We will try to finish everything by email and by drafting the document collaboratively, by using the community's Wiki.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay, so next steps are taken down already. I will circulate a brief summary. Unfortunately I couldn't get every single word but I will circulate this to Silvia and Alejandro to coordinate the next steps. But we will keep working by email. Thank you all very much for your participation.

ALEJANDRO PISANTY: Thank you Silvia. I want to thank the Staff for their support. They let us work freely and efficiently in order to productively work out how to move forward. Thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you Johnny, Alejandro, José, Dev. We will keep in touch by email. Thank you all and goodbye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPT]