

GISELLA GRUBER: Good evening everybody. Thank you. It's Wednesday 12<sup>th</sup> June 2013, 6:30 pm. On the French channel we have Fatimata Seye Sylla, Aziz Hilali, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Alioune Badara Traore, Yaovi Atohou, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Hadja Ouattara, Arnold Mulenda, Michel Tchonang. And on the English channel we have Pastor Peters and Adetokunbo Abiola.

From Staff we have Silvia Vivanco, Gisella Gruber. So we need somebody to mute your computer please. We don't know who it is but please mute your computers. We are listening to a conversation. Please, when you take the floor, can you give your name so that we know who is speaking. Our interpreters tonight are Claire and Fernanda. Thank you very much.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Thank you Gisella. Fatimata speaking. We are going to begin with the first Item of our Agenda. This is the policy comment on open policy issues. Well, the open policy issues, as usual, we are not going to read all of them because they are listed on the Agenda with the comment period and the reply period date.

If you have questions or comments about these open policy issues please just ask for the floor and we will answer your questions. Do you have any questions about the second Item of the Agenda? Do you want me to read them or is it okay?

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Tijani speaking. There are only four comments so you can read them if you want Fatimata.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Okay, I'm going to read them. Okay. I'm going to read them in English. Okay, let's read it in English. I'm looking for them. So we have the fiscal year 2014, Draft Operating Plan and Budget. The reply period is ending on the 21<sup>st</sup> of June. And we have WHOIS Information Status Policy. Then we have the proposed renewal of [inaudible 00:04:41] gTLD Registry Agreement and the reply period is ending on the 24<sup>th</sup> of July.

Then we have the proposed renewal of these gTLD Registry Agreements on the 15<sup>th</sup> of July 2013, which ends the reply period. So this is it. Tijani, do you want to take the floor?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, I want to say two things. It's not the reply and comment date, it's the period we have to comment and the period we have to reply.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Yes, you are right. Thank you.

---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: There's something else I wanted to add. The Policy Plan and Budget of the fiscal year 2014, ALAC made a statement, which is guarantee voted by the ALAC Members.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Thank you Tijani. Another ALAC Member wants to add something about this second Item of the Agenda. Okay, we are going to see the recent and upcoming activities of ALAC.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Fatimata, Olivier speaking.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Yes, Olivier, what do you want? You have the floor.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Fatimata. I wanted to tell you that in the Agenda we have no link to the ALAC stage, which is taking care of all the public comment system and of all the policy developments, no? So I wanted to ask if you... Well, I wanted to add in the Adobe Connect, the link, so that all the Members can see what is happening currently in ALAC and that it's true about the .info gTLD and [.b? 00:07:41] gTLD.

We are waiting for the answer of Alan Greenberg, our liaison with gNSO because we want to know if there is a statement needed or wanted from ALAC about the other open policy issues; the two policy issues.

---

The first one for the fiscal year 2014, Tijani is working on that statement. He was trusting that statement, thank you Tijani. And the new gTLD Board Committee consideration of GAC advice – it's a public comment period on the paper made by the GAC and it was sent to the Board with some issues regarding the New gTLDs. So it was drafted and ALAC is voting on that statement too. So that is all we have to say about that. And this link in on the ALAC page.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Thank you Olivier. Your comment was very useful. Thank you. Are there any other comments? Okay, so we are going to address the next Item. Recent and upcoming activities of ALAC. Yaovi?

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Yaovi speaking. Can you hear me?

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Yes Yaovi, we can hear you, it's okay.

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Yaovi speaking. Some people gave us a lot of information about... And we had some contribution for the public consultation and the policy development. There are two links that were sent that are very important and as an At-Large Member we have to know these links. So the Working Group who were working on that activity there were some

---

proposals made to the ICANN Members and we are still trying to improve what was sent.

Then there was another Working Group on technologies and this group discussed... Because we want all the ALAC Members to have access to a paper and we have discussed on that paper. We wanted to see how to improve the content as a group at the ICANN level.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Yaovi, I'm sorry. Fatimata speaking. We have problems hearing you, it's difficult and we can't understand what you're saying. It's a problem.

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Okay, can you hear me?

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Okay, Yaovi, what you said was very interesting but can you send it by mail or can you write it in the Chat so we can know what you're saying? Can you type it in the Chat please?

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Okay, I'll send it in an email.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Okay, thank you Yaovi. Alioune is asking if we can hear him. Tijani, you have the floor.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Yes, I can tell you what he's said. He told us about the Working Group, what they are doing; the work they are doing. And there is another issue for ALAC – it is about the dis-accreditation or decertification of the ALSes because the rules don't speak about a way to dis-accredit an ALS who is not active anymore, who want to be decertified.

And then there is another issue about the ISOC Chapter who doesn't exist anymore. So we are in front of a problem. We have some structure that doesn't exist anymore that we want to decertify, and we have no way to do it, no rule to do it. So we discussed that in ALAC and we decided that we wanted to find or to add some element to the Rules of Procedure to be able to decertify the ALS that needs to be decertified.

It's not the nature of the [think? 00:15:58] that makes us need to decertify them, but some time we need to decertify some ALSes because they are doing wrong things or mistakes or they don't work at all; they don't exist at all. And on the paper they do exist so now we are in a phase of decertifying them we need to find a legal way to decertify them. Then there are the Rules of Procedure. I don't know if Yaovi spoke about that?

But we have adopted new Rules of Procedure that for them applying, we decided that the joint documents, the other documents that also needed to be approved. And these Rules of Procedure weren't approved yet so they are not taking into account currently and the joint

documents are getting finished and we are going to move to the next phase, the adoption phase.

ALAC also decided to select the regional representative earlier than usual. That is because the NomCom needs to know the new situation so that they can choose some people and know the people who are available. So this year the selection of regional representatives is going to be made earlier than usual.

Of course, ALAC is working a lot on the program of the next ICANN meeting in Durban and the last item I wanted to address is the fact that we are working on the next At-Large Summit, which is going to take place in London, if it is approved. And it has been discussed in a Working Group in which we are working very well. I think people are taking this work seriously and we are going to have a good result.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA:

Thank you Tijani. This is Fatimata. Thank you for your information for this data. Are there any questions for Tijani? Okay, it was very clear Tijani, so thank you. We are going to move to the second Item – recent and upcoming activities of AFRALO. I don't know if the Wiki was updated. Are there any ALSes which worked on the Wiki updating?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

No ALS wrote on the Wiki page.

---

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: I'm really annoyed because at the last teleconference we talked about needing you to write on the Wiki page, and some people said that they had to send something through the Wiki, so we implemented the Wiki and nobody is using it. So it's a problem of drafting or what? I don't know. What is happening? Yaovi, you have the floor.

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Thank you. Can you hear me? Okay, thank you. Yaovi speaking. Yes, I want to say that I agree with what Fatimata is saying. Some people said...

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Yaovi, we are very sorry but we can't hear you. Your line is very bad Yaovi, sorry. Yaovi, can you send it through the Chat? Can you type what you want to say through the Chat? Okay, Yaovi is typing. All the ALSes who have activities issues can't speak about your activities on the Wiki page. We are going to do it. I don't understand why there are no activities on the Wiki page from the ALSes.

Okay, now we are moving to the third Item of the Agenda – Staging Report and AFRALO African Final Statements. Aziz, you have the floor. Olivier would like to speak?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Regarding the update about the Wiki system, I know that the system cannot be easily used for those that are new and for those who don't



know how to use it. Was the question made whether there was an interest to have a webinar on the Wiki, a demonstration online on how it worked, how to modify a page, how to write a page, things like that. Or is it a technology problem?

Is it that Wiki doesn't work in some areas, whether there's no good connectivity on the Internet? This is the question. Because there is a reason, of course, why it is not being used and the ALSes describe the information on the Wiki and there's a chance that they can express themselves on the Wiki.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Thank you. This is Fatimata. It would be good to contribute to a solution. Tijani raised his hand?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you Fatimata. I think that it would be best to have a very simply document explaining clearly how to write a document on the Wiki, how to modify it. A very simply document and that would be very useful for everybody.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Thank you Tijani. Aziz? Aziz is going to take the floor.

PASTOR PETERS: Hello? Hello?

---

UF: Yes, we can hear you, who is trying to speak?

PASTOR PETERS: Yes, I need to speak. Pastor Peters here.

UF: Okay, I will let you. One moment please.

GISELLA GRUBER: Aziz, there is a problem. We cannot hear you very well. While we wait, can we...

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Aziz, we cannot hear you. Can you write please? We are going to give the floor to Aziz and to Pastor Peters. We are going pass the floor to Pastor Peters and switch to the English channel. The French channel is not working anymore.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: This is Olivier. Heidi kindly added a connection on the Chat regarding the Wiki guide. I think this is what you were talking about. It is written in Arabic, in Chinese, in French, English of course, Spanish and Russian. Therefore there is a document. The only thing is to make a public

demonstration to use it as a guide. It could be circulated on the AFRALO mailing list. Can you hear me?

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Yes, we can hear you very well. Okay. There you have the link that gives you the guide for this Wiki guide. It would be interesting if there are things that you don't understand. If everybody agrees we could hold a webinar either in French or in English, as you wish – a small demonstration.

GISELLA GRUBER: Fatimata, it's Gisella, I'm sorry to interrupt. Pastor Peters is on the English channel again.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Thank you. This is Fatimata speaking. I would like to give the floor to Pastor Peters. There are problems.

PASTOR PETERS: Hello?

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Gisella is trying to solve the problem. The sound is not very good on Adobe Connect. Could you please wait a few minutes? The sound is going to come back. I would like to give the floor to Pastor Peters.

PASTOR PETERS: Hello? Can I speak now? Do I have the floor? Hello? Can you hear me?

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes, we hear you Pastor Peters. You have the floor.

PASTOR PETERS: Thank you very much. I want to contribute on the last two items. [inaudible 00:29:13] with the participation or the [inaudible 00:20:20] of the ALS. The ALAC spoke to it, because [inaudible 00:29:28]. My concern is this: after today we have less than 30 [concerns? 00:29:40] in Africa or in AFRALO. And then here also, trying to see how we can increase this participation of different At-Large [inaudible 00:29:56] within ICANN in AFRALO.

So if we have structures that are [inaudible 00:30:04] or that are [inaudible 00:30:07], I think it is our responsibility to find out why they are inactive and try as [inaudible 00:30:16] give them. AFRALO [inaudible 00:30:20]. Not many people are aware of ICANN in Africa. We are doing all we can to bring in more structure and give an opinion of those that are not [African? 00:30:39].

I think we should look at how we can engage those who are not [African? 00:30:45], find out what their problems are and [stop

---

them? 00:30:53]. So I am of the opinion that we shouldn't just go to some people and delete an At-Large structure that are not [consumer? 00:30:00]. Similarly, if we did that, the [inaudible 00:30:05] as to what and how we can delete those structures. And of course we would approve the rules and agree to abide by them. So far so good apart from the rule that when an ALS is inactive – then it should be different.

But then what constitutes inactivity? So these are questions that I wanted to address but this is not a strategy of how we can have more At-Large structures within ICANN. In AFRALO there are [inaudible 00:30:43] for now. And that is my addition. Thank you.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: I cannot hear you.

PASTOR PETERS: You cannot hear me? Hello? Did you hear me?

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Thank you Gisella. There are no other interventions? Olivier? Okay. Aziz? Okay, I will go now to the Item of the [inaudible 00:33:09] of the Beijing meeting taking into account what has been done at the meeting. Aziz, are you there? His Adobe has

been disconnected. I am going to take a further look myself. The draft of the document that was proposed at the meeting was amended. Aziz was the dictator to integrate the amendment. This was circulated on the Wiki and on the list there were no other reactions.

Hello? Can you hear me? My computer is starting. This is why. I'm going to continue with the telephone. Amendments were incorporated, it was circulated and it was also put on the Wiki. There were no reactions from our community. We had the opportunity to discuss further with [inaudible 00:34:44].

After the reaction of Olivier, who asked what we were going to do with that statement. After a certain time we will follow up and I think it was a very legitimate request. We discussed a little with Pierre on what had raised the problem and the suggestion was in fact to ensure that the whole community agreed to propose a statement.

So if you wish, if you have things to add... Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

This is Tijani speaking. I think that the [inaudible 00:36:04] is legitimate. We have to write no statement that it is an African community participating in the AFRALO and ICANN meeting, who

are signing this statement. Those who attended the meeting have taken all the amendments proposed in that meeting and this expresses the point of view of the people present at the meeting.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Tijani? The RALO intervention? Yes, I am working on my telephone because my computer stopped working. I can guide you if you wish. Item #4 – update of information from first item in Item #4: African [outlet? 00:37:21]. Virtual capacity building, yes, for your information, for the ALSes it is not necessary to go into the history of the last four meetings.

In the meeting in Toronto and in Beijing we discussed with the consultant of ICANN to discuss what we could do on this item. And at our last meeting we discussed this problem in the Agenda and we met with the At-Large Staff to hold three webinar sessions. The first session took place yesterday and it was circulated on the list and we requested the participation of only ALSes. This took place yesterday. We are really... Sorry.

The next Item... Tijani, would you like to complete?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you Fatimata. To complete this, first the consultant...

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Okay, Tijani you are very faint.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: The consultant left apparently, and this is a problem because we need to work a lot through ICANN. And we have worked a lot already to convince people from the budget to implement this virtual program of capacity building and to implement virtual capacity building sessions.

So the problem now is that we want to reach a result and the good result should be that the ALS participation will increase and we are reaching an important event for At-Large. This is the second At-Large Summit that will take place in London next year, if the project is approved in the budget by the Board.

So our ALSes, if they don't have the minimum to participate with the discussion, to give their opinions, we are going to give At-Large opinion on all the ICANN issues, the important issues. So I can't imagine how the African ALSes can participate efficiently to this discussion if they don't know what is happening, if they have no information about the work we've made.

In Dakar we had very good presentation of all the data and all the problems but now it is not enough and we have identified that in



---

the statement, in the report. And now through this virtual capacity building we want to compensate for this lack of capacity. If we can't have all the ALSes participating into that virtual capacity building then we are really in a win situation. We will be satisfied after all these years trying to improve the capacity of the African ALSes.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Thank you Tijani. Fatimata speaking. It's a pity that some people weren't able to participate. There were very important questions asked and we didn't have any answers. Do you want to take the floor? Is there somebody wanting to add something?

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Yaovi speaking.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Yes, Yaovi? Okay, Yaovi you have the floor.

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Thank you. I wanted to say that I agree with what Tijani said. I think it was very interesting and I think that the webinar is very useful for our ALSes. It's useful to them. And apparently... I think it was very interesting to follow the discussions, the answers given

---

to the questions so I found it was really interesting – a very good experience even though there are things that we don't like. But we have to participate because it's about the discussion we are going to have. Thank you very much.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Thank you Yaovi. It's Fatimata again. Does anybody want to ask anything or add something about this issue? No? Yaovi? Okay, nobody wants to...? Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Tijani speaking. Okay, we are moving to the next Item. This is the Drafting Group on ALAC's Rules of Procedure. And the next Item is DNS Work program. Fatimata, you have to speak about this Item. Fatimata, Olivier is asking for the floor.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Olivier, yes, you have the floor.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Fatimata. I'm sorry to interrupt you but I'm also a little bit late on Adobe Connect with raising my hand. I wanted to tell you that there is the link to the webinar on the Adobe Connect and there is the webinar link and I think all the information on the

webinar, which took place yesterday, is there. So if you want you can go and see the slides from this webinar, which took place yesterday. And on the AFRALO list you will find it too. So this webinar will be useful for everybody.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Thank you. Fatimata speaking. Yes, it's very good information. Thank you Olivier. The ALS wasn't able to participate yesterday and even those who participated yesterday could share with your members what was said yesterday on the webinar. Do you have the link on the Adobe Connect? So let's move back to our Agenda.

You remember the Addis Ababa meeting in Africa, the project was announced in there. There was a Committee, which was implemented, which was formed with... Are you listening to me?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yaovi, can you mute your computer please?

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: It's a program to promote the African participation and for this first session it will be on nomination. The idea is to award nominees in Durban. So they announcement was made. We've worked on the terms of an appearance and I forgot to tell you that

it will be the ICANN ISOC who will work together and award the best nominee. The date for this nomination was postponed until the 15<sup>th</sup> of June. It had to finish at the end of April but there were no nominees so we had to postpone it until the 15<sup>th</sup> of June.

I want to ask everybody to nominate some registrars and registrants from Africa please who can meet the criteria. Those criteria have been sent on the mailing list and on the Wiki page. So this is all I wanted to say. Yaovi is asking for the floor, so Yaovi, I'm seeing you, you have the floor. Oh, it was a mistake. Okay. Are there any questions? Aziz is raising his hand. Aziz, do you want the floor? You have the floor Aziz.

AZIZ HILALI:

Okay, thank you. I just wanted to tell you that finally Adobe Connect is working. That I have lost the main part of the meeting except what was on the Chat. I am very sorry about that. Very sorry.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA:

Okay, thank you Aziz. It's a pity. We have an echo. A strong echo. Okay. We are going to continue. Mohamed is not here to speak.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Fatimata, I'm sorry. Aziz, please can you mute your computer microphone. Thank you.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Okay. I'm going to try to give the floor to Yaovi or to Olivier to speak about the NomCom 2013. Mohamed is not here so who wants to speak about that? Okay. Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I don't know if Yaovi wants to speak about that. The NomCom 2013 is working for this year, 2013. I'm looking for a paper that was sent to everybody. The NomCom Members sent a paper to everybody to give us an idea of the amount of people who present themselves for some functions this year. Okay. I've found the paper. Okay. This year we have...

No, that's wrong. It's not this paper. I'm looking for the paper sent by the NomCom Members explaining how many candidates they have for each post. Okay, it was 111 persons who were candidates for the... Okay, 100 plus people were candidates for the Board and for the ALAC too. So we think that we are going to have good candidates applying in NomCom and it will be very interesting to work with some more people this year.

We will see those new candidates. We will see what kinds of candidates we will receive, but it's an important thing because this year, [Ayula? 00:53:04], who was a Member of our community was the Chair of this NomCom. And next year the person who is Chair of the NomCom should be Cheryl Langdon-Orr but with the concern of transparency, which is very positive, all the NomCom Members, even the elected Chair, need to decide to go through a 360° review.

Each Member is going to be graded by the others, who they are working with, and if their grade is not good then they are not going to continue on their function. So I think it's very positive because if some candidates are not good, if they are not working, if they are not serving their community then they won't be continuing for next year, for another year, and I think that's good for us in At-Large, for example.

The people who are sent to the NomCom can work there for two years. It's very interesting. And the news I had from the Chairs and the people from NomCom was that all the candidates were acting very well and for the person from AFRALO, this person has been working for two years. So now we need somebody to take its place. I know you are all aware of that issue. So I've finished. Thank you very much.

**GISELLA GRUBER:** Gisella. Tijani, yes, it is off. Can you take the floor, Tijani? We're waiting for Fatimata to come back to circulate to everybody.

**TIJANI BEN JEMAA:** This year in the African NomCom, which is very well known for the applicants, it is acceptable. But it seems that on the 17<sup>th</sup>, concerning NomCom... Waiting for you. The next Item is the idea of having 2013 in Bali. As you all know, this proposal was accepted. We also postulated for ICANN... The selection to integrate in the participation of ICANN in this year.

It was accepted also. Therefore we're going to have a workshop in Bali. At the moment the next time until the workshop. Is there anybody who would like to say anything on this Item? I would like to add as a Member of the [NAG? 00:57:37] that there was a record of a proposal which was part of the Agenda and was proposed by AFRALO. This was accepted and note was taken by the Members. Thank you.

Are there other comments? If there are no other comments then we'll go to the next item, which is the AFRALO regional elections for the fiscal year 2014/15 and ALAC selection. A follow up will be commented on concerning NomCom and concerning the AFRALO leaders and the ALAC selection. As I've said before, the selection was started soon to enable NomCom to have some balance among

the regions. So we began earlier. The nomination began on the 3<sup>rd</sup> of June and they are ending on the 14<sup>th</sup>. And the nominations are going to be made on the 20<sup>th</sup>.

So if there are several candidates for the same function we are going to elect that candidate. So I'm asking all the AFRALO Members to nominate the person that you think would be a useful addition to serve AFRALO. Not because they are from your region or because they speak the same language as you or because they are your friend – but because you think that they are really useful and would be the best to serve AFRALO. Okay?

So when the nominations are made and we accept them, if we have several candidates for the same function we are going to elect the candidate. It is really democracy working. It can't be better. Are there any comments on this Item? Any comments? Okay. No comment. I see nobody raising his or her hand. On the English channel? No, apparently not. Okay.

If there are no comments on that Item then let's move to Item #5 – Items for discussion. I think Fatimata is back. Yes, I think Fatimata is back. Yes, okay. Fatimata you are back. We are on Item #5 of the Agenda – Items for discussion. You have the floor Fatimata.



FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Okay, thank you Tijani. I'm back. Fatimata speaking. The activities to be programed for July in Durban, as we said on our last meeting, for Durban we want to try to elevate so we also know that we can't ask ICANN again to help us to implement new activities. So we thought that the capacity building was a very good idea that we all feel is working well with the virtual program.

And we thought that this time we wanted to do some outreach, about local information, about Africa. And of course this means that we need some resources with the main actors and with the private sector in South Africa. So we decided to make some requests asking for some help in Google and AFRINIC also. And we wanted to ask something new after what Olivier said; that we need to work more with RIRs.

With AFRINIC we did not have enough time so they told us that they had spent all the money they had. So next time we are going to program the activities earlier so that we can count on them for these kinds of activities but they weren't able, this time, to help us. We also asked Google for their help and we think that we are going to have some sponsoring from them to help us.

And now we are working with universities, with users' associations, active associations in the Internet development at the local level and also the final users as individuals. So this is the idea. We are working on that idea, on that project with some 50

---

players that we can work with. And we would like those players to participate in the At-Large activities when we are in Durban and we would like to work also with those persons in the virtual capacity building, which will be organized for each meeting during the Durban meeting.

Another activity is the showcase that we worked on among us to decide what we are going to do, what we agreed to do. And then there will be a meeting and we will decide about that; we will take the decision about the last detail. Tijani worked with me so please Tijani, if you want to add something you have the floor.

AZIZ HILALI: Aziz speaking.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Yes Aziz, you have the floor.

AZIZ HILALI: Okay, Aziz speaking. I wanted to add something Fatimata. Titi has also been helping us in South Africa to organize those activities and the representative of the ALS who are working with us are requesting everybody to help us. Those who know some resources in Durban please can you help us to organize those

activities? So we are looking for people at the local level to help us organize those activities.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Yes, it's very important for us to have some resources and people to help us. We are working on the African community. We are working with the university from South Africa but it's not enough. We need other resources from Africa and from South Africa.

So please, if you know some people who can help us, please tell us. We are speaking about the English speaking person because in South African they speak English.

UF: Fatimata, Michel wants to have the floor.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Okay.

MICHEL TCHONANG: Fatimata, I have a problem with my connection. I wanted to know which activities have been decided on?

---

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: I cannot understand you very well Michel. Can you repeat that?

MICHEL TCHONANG: I have understood the middle of the conversation but... We are going to work in South Africa.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Okay Michel, thank you very much for your suggestions. Could you please help us to get to know some people at the local level?

MICHEL TCHONANG: Okay, yes, I can do that.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Okay Michel. We are...

UF: Fatimata, can you repeat what Michel said because we could hear him?

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Michel said that we have to remember that there is the NEPAD in South Africa and we have to contact them. So I asked him to take care of that and to contact the people from the NEPAD if he knows

---

them, if he has some connection with them; to take care of that as an AFRALO Member. That was the dialogue with Michel.

GISELLA GRUBER: Fatimata, Michel is asking for the floor again.

MICHEL TCHONANG: It's easy for me. Aziz can you send me a little note about what you need and I will take care of that?

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Fatimata speaking. Thank you very much Michel. We have made a concept paper that Aziz is going to send to you. Aziz, don't forget to send him the concept paper. Okay, we haven't written anything. No, the concept paper I drafted. We can share it with all the AFRALO Members. We can send it to the mailing list. I think that would be best, that we send it to the mailing list.

I've already shared it with Pierre Dandjinou so now we can share it with all the AFRALO Members and the ALAC Members. Okay? Are there any other comments in this respect?

---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you Fatimata. Tijani speaking. I heard that Aziz has called for resources. I would like to remind you of something more interesting, which is the call for people whom are going to participate even if there are no resources to bring people from outside the Durban area we could find people in Durban who could come and participate.

It's a challenge that we have but we need to engage in this challenge. So to have the participation of people from South Africa – locals – in this meeting is important at many levels. First, the conversation with us at At-Large meeting. Secondly, participation in the information of AFRALO. Thirdly, participation in Members of [Actor? 01:12:10].

We have always used representatives of ALSes for these [occasions? 01:12:18]. This is something essential; to have locals present onsite. Without users on the Internet who are going to become...

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Thank you Tijani. Fatimata speaking. This is important. I would also like to request that everybody proposes something regarding the showcase. Have you decided on something regarding the showcase? Do you have anything to propose? Do you have

---

anything for our showcase, besides the presentation of our ALSes, etc.? I would like you to reflect on this. Yes, Michel?

MICHEL TCHONANG: Thank you. The participation of the population and also of Africa...

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Thank you Michel. Fatimata speaking. I think when the meeting is organized by South Africa... There is an echo from somebody at their computer with the sound. When we organize the meeting at a local level there is a lot of media attention. I don't know. We are going to see... We are going to make contact with the people from NEPAD. I would like to say also that there is...

Somebody wrote on the Adobe Connect that the showcase followed by the reception will take place on Monday, July 15<sup>th</sup> from 18:00 until 19:30. Silvia Vivanco wrote this. Yes Michel?

GISELLA GRUBER: Michel is asking for the floor.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Yes. He didn't lower his hand, that's why. We're going to the next meeting, AFRALO/AfrICANN. We're going to hold a joint meeting,

and AFRALO/AfrICANN joint meeting in Durban. We are looking for a topic, for a theme. What do you propose? Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you Fatimata. This is Tijani speaking. As usual the theme that is going to be selected must be – in my opinion – a current issue for ICANN. For we could observe this and make observations to the ICANN Board. I would like to reflect on this question to share our opinions on the list in the next two weeks.

If no further step is made to the Board we could collect our opinions on this theme and an email is going to be part tomorrow morning to two lists; the AFRALO and AfrICANN list, to ask the members of the list to propose themes in the next two weeks. Then we're going to discuss information in the small group that is going to be in charge of preparing a statement so that the next meeting, the next teleconference can be held to discuss a draft for Durban.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA:

Thank you Tijani. This is Fatimata speaking. Would anybody like to take the floor? Okay. Aziz has to send an email to the list to request a proposal for the theme for the At-Large Summit. Tijani, you talked about this before.



TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes. So I can speak about that. We can make a survey on the theme that we want to address during the At-Large Summit next year. So we can make an Agenda afterwards so that we can draft the report, etc. So the idea is, first, we have to make that survey. Then we will arrive in Durban. In Durban I think we will have some clear ideas about that survey and with that survey we are going to be able to prepare the At-Large Summit.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Okay, thank you Tijani. Fatimata speaking. Okay, we will now move to the next Item, #6 – Any Other Business. Does anybody want to add anything that wasn't in the Agenda? Okay. Once. Twice. Okay, no answer. I think I'm going to thank everybody for your participation. Thank you for your participation in this meeting. Thank you to the interpreters. Thank you to the Staff and to Olivier. Thank you everybody.

And on the French channel and the English channel I thank everybody and I tell you bye bye. Bye Gisella.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you everybody. This is Gisella. I really regret the Adobe problems that we had and I'm going to try to solve those. Thank you. Very much appreciated.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPT]**