
OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: ...yes I'm going to start the call. So good morning, good afternoon, and good evening everyone. This is ALAC Executive Committee conference call on Monday, the 29th of April, 2013. What an exciting week. And the first thing we're going to have is a roll-call and apologies. Please proceed Julia.

JULIA CHARVOLEN: Yeah, sure. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening everyone. Welcome to the ALAC Executive Committee meeting on Monday, 29th of April, 2013 at 13 UTC. On the call today we have Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Julie Hammer, Alan Greenberg, Rinalia Abdul Rahim, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Carlton Samuels, and Evan Leibovitch. We have no apologies so far. And from staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Matt Ashtiani, sorry, Silvia Vivanco, and myself, Julia Charvolen.

May I remind all participants to please state their names before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much and over to you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Julia. Have we missed anyone, is there anybody on the call whose name we have not given out? No? Okay. So let's go swiftly to the review of action items from the 12th of April, ExCom meeting, I invite you all to read through those. Starting with Julie Hammer will draft a statement on behalf of the ALAC, which requests

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

the Board to affirm its commitment to preserving the security and the stability of the DNS, with the new delegation of the new GTLBs.

In particular, the statement will request the Board to review the status of the recommendation of relevant [F Sack 0:01:43] recommendations. Including fact zero, four, five. Fact 45 as some people would call it. Julie do we have [Inaudible 0:01:52] on this please?

JULIE HAMMER: Thanks Olivier. Apologies but I have... I seem to be getting a little feedback there.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, you seem to be getting some feedback. I'm not sure whether it's probably your line or it's someone else's line. Could you try again please?

JULIE HAMMER: Okay. I have... I have drafted a statement which I'm about to send to you, and I think I'd [Audio Dropout 0:02:27]... for review, before submitting it with a bit of a balance on a statement that was not [revealed 0:02:39]. And between one that was so detailed that it required a month research.

So I have got something that I think before we post it for others to look at it, I think I would just like to run by you and Patrick as background.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you very much Julie. I'll wait for it in my mailbox. I look forward to receiving it.

JULIE HAMMER: Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Moving on, let's move on. The next one is the ALAC at the top of the page and the CTNSO 10 year activities during the 47th ICANN meeting in Durban. I gather that's on the cards at the moment. Do we have enough data on this or should we just swiftly move to the next? Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Actually [INAUDIBLE 0:03:25], actually ask if we can have an update on that or whether I should coordinate with CTNSO for [chariot 0:03:32] support?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Cheryl here for the record. Coordination by you is certainly reasonable, but the uptake I can give you is just going to be a, probably the Tuesday night and sort of an expanded cocktail party. So I would expect that the ALAC at least, will be invited to that. It's the extent to which all of our attendees versus the subsequent attendees, will be invited.

If it's open, then it's open, that's our problem. But that's where I think you need to probably talk [too much 0:04:13].

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Thanks very much Cheryl. This is Heidi again. Just to confirm, I'm assuming that's going to be immediately prior to music night then.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah. We'll normally [sit those things in 0:04:23] in immediate competition with music night. It's a fairly huge and great traditional distain for the activity. But [laughs]...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Thank you, I'll...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Now we've shifted from a dinner to a cocktail party, I think the cocktail party I do think tend to wrap up earlier. So it's much easier to do both, but I would probably see it running from six to nine or something like that.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay thanks very much. I'll coordinate with the [Seasons household 0:05:02] staff on that, thanks.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: No problem.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Heidi and thank you very much Cheryl. Nex tis the ALAC's organizer webinar on PCTLD delegation and re-delegation issues,

which would include members of the NTSCO, and relevant INS staff.
Where are we on this?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Can I say something again?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes go ahead Cheryl, please.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah, Miss Heidi did you have something to say first?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Actually go ahead Cheryl, since I'm following you [laughs].

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay. I don't know whether or not anything is being done on this. It's one of those we need to do it, but I would suggest it's probably not... Let me start that sentence again.

It's time critical, but it's not that time critical. Why I'm saying that is, we do need to do it, preferably before Durban obviously. But if we carefully coordinate it, it can be after we, as a framework of interpretation workgroup, have got to our next affair.

We're currently chewing over some of the particularly un-digestible bits of the delegation/re-delegation. I had hoped to be able to report to you for this meeting, that we had our second task and consensus call on

some of these thorny issues, but for all sorts of reasons, that's not going to be the case.

So it will be another fortnight before we can probably force closure on a couple of points. It would be far more productive to have our planned webinar after that. So what I'm trying to say is, yes we should do it, but I would see it at the end of next month activity, not in an in this month activity.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you very much Cheryl. Any questions on this set of action items?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Olivier? This is Heidi.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes go ahead Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm just looking at the May calendar, and with the week of the 27th be suitable, Cheryl and Olivier, for that?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: It would be subject to, but [CROSSTALK 0:07:32]... about, etcetera. I certainly wouldn't think before then would be appropriate. That or even the fortnight later.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. So the, okay. Okay. I'll coordinate with them, Ana and [INAUDIBLE 0:07:50]

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah. You certainly want to [INAUDIBLE 0:07:54], Bernie, you'd want Keith, obviously [Nee Maureen 0:07:57] should be there. And you should extend the... Well, it's open to ALAC so since you can turn up.

But it's one of those that we want to make sure that the ALS that are interested have plenty of warning to get to as well. I think we need to have it well advertised.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Maybe even the 10th of June.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I would think that would be a much better option, but we probably need to promote earlier than we often would.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much. So next we have the F Team, which I would believe to be Steve Crocker, to be allocated 60 minutes during the

ExCom meetings during the Friday at the ICANN meetings. That's just something to put on the side.

I probably suggest that we change this to Steve Crocker rather than another acronym please. Next meeting with Steve [Anti-noff 0:08:57], the ALAC is to send a letter of thank you for the extraordinary work of ICANN constituency travel to [Sadhi Shel-ha-day 0:09:05]. That's still on the cards, I haven't drafted such a thing, I don't think anyone has yet.

Staff, just to remind me this, was it just on the departure of Steve [Anti-noff] constituency travel, or is that to generally also to include all of the current work that is being done, including Joseph to Jesus? Or [CROSSTALK 0:09:34]...

HEIDI ULLRICH:

It's in my recollection, which is not great, I think it was for Steve. But again, maybe a note just in terms of how, the efforts that they are making in general would be useful. And I'll try to see if you can even meet with him while you are in town this week, so maybe just a personal note if you'd like.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Okay. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Cheryl here. Is it possible for you to meet with Diana as well?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, if I may Olivier. Olivier is going to be meeting with Diana quite a bit while he is in town.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Fantastic.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Perfect. Right thank you very much. Let's continue. So next preparation [CROSSTALK 0:10:27]... Yes go ahead Alan, I didn't see your hand.

ALAN GREENBERG: In any letter of thanks, let's make sure we're not sending mixed messages. Because at the same time we're complaining about policies and practices. So it's find to thank the people, but let's not send a message that we're absolutely happy with the overall situation, because otherwise we're going to be sending very mixed messages with our [CROSSTALK 0:10:53]. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Alan. Next is Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you Olivier. I am inclined to disagree with Alan, because we are not say that the process is good, we will say that the people who are working there are doing very well at their job.

We are not agreeing with the system. We are not agreeing with the [point 0:11:17]. We are thinking deeper because people are trying to make our journey better. So I think that we need to thank the staff of constituency travel, and especially [INAUDIBLE 0:11:35].

Another point...

ALAN GREENBERG: Tijani, that's what I said.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: It's okay to thank the people, but don't imply that we're happy with the policies and practices.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay.

CARLTON SAMUELS: This is Carl, and I have to agree with Alan. That's exactly how it should be.

ALAN GREENBERG: I think we're all saying the same thing.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. I'm going to cut this discussion because you all are saying the same thing, and we are losing valuable minutes. [CROSSTALK 0:12:04]... Yes go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Regarding Steve Crocker, I don't know if I had to say it here about any other business, but we need to see, to decide on our voting on what we have to send to the Board. We are advised to send advice, and we have to say that, to give advice to the Board.

When we not only want to send our statement, our point of view, it is something. When we want to invite the Board, it is another thing. Second point, also we have to make a difference between the public comment and our advice, because otherwise we will not have... Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Tijani. I understand that when we send a statement to the Board, when it actually has a capital A for advice in there, the Board does take it as advice. We do have to write that it is advice specifically.

And there are times when we have not used the word advice, and use correspondence, which is slightly different. But yes, the other thing being that when we do respond to a public comment it doesn't go to the Board, it goes to the staff member in charge of that public comment.

That then gets mixed with all of the other comments, and it really then depends on the way that staff, the staff person in charge of that public comment, treats that information. And so it's not only with Steve, it's something with, that goes beyond. Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Just for clarity, there have been cases in the past, and I presume in the future, where we respond to public comment, class it as advice and also send it to the Board. So there is nothing to say we can't do both in parallel.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes. Okay. Thank you. Let's move on. And then for the preparation for Durban, is our two action items. So the one, review the ExCom agenda and review the agenda items that are not essential, and to – for Tijani to send a note to the ExCom regarding how to reformat the first day wrap up meeting.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Was that decided in Beijing?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Sorry?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Did we decide that in Beijing that I am to prepare this note?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Well, I see an action item there, that says Tijani Ben Jemaa to send a note to the ExCom regarding how to reformat the first day wrap up meeting.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes. Unfortunately I wasn't aware about it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah. Okay. That's [CROSSTALK 0:14:58]... we've got time. Yes go ahead Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Actually this item can wait. I just wanted to quickly point out that the rapid session has been scheduled for three hours now for Durban. So that might be something to take into consideration on planning that agenda.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Give us a bit more time, yes. Okay. Okay, excellent. Let's move on and go to the items for the session, the policy advice development page. If I can turn to it, okay. Let's pass all the recently adopted ALAC statements, documents, or group and just go with the current. So three B statements or endorsements currently being developed, or reviewed, or voted on by the ALAC.

The proposed final 2013 RAA, Carlton is collecting comments at the moment. I believe there has been a call for comments has been sent out. Do you have an update, Carlton?

CARLTON SAMUELS: No, no, Olivier. The Wiki page is up there, nothing much has been on it yet. But I'm waiting to see comments. But if not, I actually have a skeleton proposal that I wanted to put out. I have waited here because I didn't want to call again.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you Carlton. I have Alan Greenberg.

ALAN GREENBERG: I will be commenting probably not until Wednesday when I have a bunch of hours on a plane. If that's okay Carlton?

CARLTON SAMUELS: That's fine Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay.

CARLTON SAMUELS: I would be happy to see yours.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you. The statement on WCIC outcomes, that's still pending, just can't find the time for it at the moment. The question to the committee are the accountability and transparency within ICANN. The ALAC was considering drafting a statement.

I think it's quite important that these are questions which are being asked by the ATRT. It is, I think, a good idea to get the [Ralos 0:17:11] perhaps to fill those in. They don't need to answer all the questions, they can just answer some of them.

Just as a little insight, there has been a discussion within the ATRT with regards to the volume of response, which has been underwhelming at the moment, and therefore there is consideration for extending the comment period. That would provide us, here at At-Large, with time to respond.

So what I was going to suggest is that we send out a note to the RALO and ask the RALO to respond to this. But my comment on the HRT, Alan Greenberg might have something else to add. Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: A question for the group, and for you in particular, would you think it would be improper for the two of us to identify the issues that we think it might be important for ALAC to comment on? In other words, the things that are most directly impact ALAC and the work it does?

That doesn't preclude commenting on anything else, but I wondered to what extent do you think that is appropriate, or is that trying to choke the outcome?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Alan. I think that as a starting point, perhaps since we will have a chance to add to this. As a starting point, we just get the [register list free 0:18:40] answer those. Of course, I don't think there is anything that prevents us from providing a quick intro into this, and say...

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm not talking about...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: ...interest could be this, this, and that.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm not talking about writing [CROSSTALK 0:18:54]...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: ...which direction, yeah.

ALAN GREENBERG: One of them, for instance in my case, is the point of these that the ATRT is considering that the last one didn't, is the policy development process working or not?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Cheryl here.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: ...that's particularly important for the ALAC to comment on. Cheryl, you have the floor.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thanks. I was pleased to hear that the consideration for a little extension on this. This is one of those things, hugely important issue obviously no, but it's one of those things that we haven't got it onto the regional or ALS radar yet.

And yet, certain excerpts, including what Alan just said [in the files 0:19:42], is essential to get on their radar. I would suggest not only is it appropriate for you two to reach out to the community in some email way, and remind them about that the Wiki space, etcetera, etcetera.

That I think you probably could put a little project together or do a presentation for at least some of your original leadership. And even their input then would constitute material for an ALAC response.

If ALAC could respond saying, it held a webinar with its regional leaders on this subject and the following matters were raised, I think it would be a very powerful exercise.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. I guess Olivier and I should see if we can, I think we have the bandwidth to put something together when we're together this week, or at least decide to put something together and then do it so after, schedule it as soon as possible afterwards.

It looks like [CROSSTALK 0:20:47]... I think.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah. Thank you for the suggestion Cheryl and thanks Alan for following up on this. I think that actually what we can do is to take the PowerPoint slide deck which was used by the HRT 2 in Beijing, and share it with each one of the RALO.

You do have to remember that this was done during the ATR 2 session with the public and not a large amount of the [CROSSTALK 0:21:17]... I remember whether it was shared – yeah there was a flight that was shared. So I'm sure...

It's a good start. It may not be fully appropriate, but it's something we should look at and probably a good basis. I mean, I know how much time you have and certainly there is not that much...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: ...basically, it's awfully wordy, you know? It's a necessary surely, it's a necessary set of questions. But if I'm a busy regional leader, I'm going to look at this and go, "Yeah, maybe next week."

But if I'm going to commit 90 minutes to whether or not I would interact with this site, and someone is going to go to see some conversation, I'd look over all of that. You know what I mean? It's just...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Are you saying the webinar... I thought that it would be maybe 10 minutes on each one of the RALO calls would have been appropriate.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Well if you want to do it that way, sure. I'd just do one or two of them to two times to be perfect, and regional leaders and anyone else can come, and I'd collect the data that way. Sort of a forced study group, I guess.

ALAN GREENBERG: To be honest, I think the vast majority, maybe not the majority, a large part of the number of questions are things that any individual within At-Large might have a thought on. But the amount of things that are at the top most of people's minds, and impact what we do.

So, who is, is probably relevant, security/stability, less so for many people's minds. Issues about where the Board remuneration done properly? I don't think is going to hit people's radar.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: And on a scale of one to ten, you could whack on to a poll within an Adobe Connect room, and you can have real data. You know?

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: You know what I mean?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you Alan and thank you Cheryl for saying names before this call. [Laughs]

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Not even supposed to be...

ALAN GREENBERG: The coffee one is Alan [laughs].

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: And the grumpy one is Cheryl [laughs].

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Great. Thank you. So I think we've got a plan on this. And we'll... So the action item here is to setup a webinar, specifically for the RALO [leads 0:23:46] and of course for everyone else in ALAC. It's going to be a short webinar.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Cheryl was happy to help with that by the way [laughs].

ALAN GREENBERG: And Cheryl was happy to help on that, great.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Perfect. That's a good one. I'm reading what's being written at the moment in the [INAUDIBLE 0:24:09], but that's perfect, yeah. Let's move on. The next one is the trademark clearing house, and idea and variance. Oh I see, there is a question on the timing, what timing on this? That should be, the webinar I would say should be an hour.

And the... Let's do it the week after Alan and I come back from the ATRT 2, so I would imagine the... Let's have a quick look. The week starting, let's see. Sixth of May onwards. Right. Next.

Trademarking as an idea in variance. [Hong-Chew-Ai 0:24:57] drafted a statement. There was some disagreement on some of the input, or there was some discussion on some of the input. I must say, I somehow lost track of how cooked that statement is.

Because there was a whole lot of discussion, and I'm going to resort to Rinalia Abdul Rahim to shed some light over where we are on this. Rinalia?

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Thank you Olivier. This is Rinalia for the transcript. Can you hear me?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes we are, please.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Good. So Hong has drafted a statement and it was circulated. I have revised it based on the input that I heard and received in Beijing and after Beijing. And then, Hong has responded and Jean-Jacques has responded, and I have responded to her. And there were also a few ALAC members who have also provided input regarding the revised draft, which I have provided.

The status of the statement change since my revised version stands, and there have been no further comment. And I actually think it's good to go.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Fantastic. Thank you very much Rinalia for this quick update. So the one that you're [thinking 0:26:20] about really now is the last comment on that page. That's the revised version which has got all of the input from everyone.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Correct. It is also the version that is under final draft, because I think Matt immediately took it and paste it up top.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you very much Rinalia. So I think that this statement is then ready to go for a vote. And I think the action item from this is to just get the vote started as soon as we can. I'd say standard vote, five working day standard vote, and then send it over to...

And this is one question, to whom should this be sent to?

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: This is Rinalia. It should go to the Board as advice.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: So directly to the Board? Or the Board new detail committee? So effectively to [Shereen shal-a-beach 0:27:18] or the [new GTL 0:27:19]

committee, or to Steve Crocker, Chair of the Board? Which one of the two...

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: I think... This is Rinalia again. I think it's really important that we send it to Steve Crocker because the new [GTL] program does not handle the IDN project. The IDN project has another Board working group. I don't know who is leading it, but it has three members that, Thomas Martin, Suzanne Wolf, and Rom [audio cutout 0:27:46]. I suggest that we send it directly to Steve so that it goes to the attention of the Board members.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: So the whole Board, okay. Thank you very much Rinalia. So that's an action item then. So start with the vote, and once the vote is done, send to Steve Crocker with a copy to the Board secretary and I would think if we can also have a copy to the person who is in charge of this program.

And I'm afraid I've totally lost track as to who is in charge of this program now. I know that Dennis Jennings was running the IDN variance project at some point, but [CROSSTALK 0:28:23] in charge now.

So [CROSSTALK 0:28:27]...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, this is Heidi, Olivier. I know that Dennis is no longer, go ahead Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Go ahead Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Just quickly, this is Heidi. I'm aware that Dennis is no longer working on that, so I would suggest we send it SAS, or I can contact SAS and ask them who the current consultant is for that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: If you could please find out. Then when we will have that statement done, we can send it out to the relevant people in addition... Well, carbon copy to the relevant people in there. ICANN has a problem with communication, and I want to make sure that this doesn't start going one way, and then another way, and then another way, and it ends up going nowhere as a result.

That's a particularly important statement, so I thank everyone who has been involved with drafting it. Next, the new detailed Board committee consideration of GAC state guard advice.

There has been some discussion about whether the ALAC should be drafting a statement on this. Bearing in mind this is a particularly sensitive issue, because it asks the community how to treat the GAC advice that was received during the Beijing meeting.

It's one of these things, that's really where if something that the Board has to work out with the GAC. As an advisory committee, the ALAC, I'm not quite sure. But if we were to draft an advice to the Board, and then the Board would ask how they would treat our advice.

I find this to be a bit strange. But of course, it's their right to do so, they can ask any question they want from anyone. I'll take a few of your comments and questions. Alan Greenberg first.

MALE: Can you put me on the list please?

ALAN GREENBERG: I thought Rinalia had her hand up. It's Alan speaking. I feel pretty strongly that we need to say something on some of the points here. We don't need to call it advice, we don't need to put it in the public comment period, but I think we need to say something to the Board.

Some issues within the very long GAC advice, which I suspect on due consideration, we will strongly support, and there are others that I think we will strongly object to. And I think, in particular, if the Board is going to say no to the GAC, part of the community supporting that position is important for them to do so.

So we don't need to pass judgment on everything, but for any issues that are on either end of the stream, that we feel will be dangerous and incorrect to do that, or we feel strongly that the GAC is right and... But it's a policy different from what is currently going to be implemented, I think we have an obligation to put our stake in the ground. Yes are we unpopular with some people and popular with others, but I think that's what we are here for. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Alan. I think that you will find that as far as destruction of the GAC advice is concerned, there will be plenty of people who will want to absolutely throw it in the bin from start to end.

ALAN GREENBERG: That's easy.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That's an easy one, but I don't know whether we need to add our horses to...

ALAN GREENBERG: But Olivier... Olivier, it's Alan. I would claim that those who say it's a whole piece of crap, throw it away, are a lot easier to discount than those who focus on one or two specific issues. The Board is not going to throw away the whole thing.

There is no way that they can. [Laughter]

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Correct.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Okay, okay. Next is... Well, Carlton wanted to speak so it was Carlton and then Evan afterwards. So Carlton you're next.

CARLTON SAMUELS: I thought Rinalia was ahead of me, has she already gone yet?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I have not seen Rinalia on my screen.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Okay. I'm blind, I'm blind to the screen. Well, a couple or two things. To me, the real issue is the Board has decided to offer advice on the GAC advice, and that is part strange in my estimation. Given the nature of the politics of it, whatever you say during this period is going to be taken as advice to the Board about GAC advice.

Whatever you say during this period. That is why I think we should sit on our hands and not say anything during this period. I think it is important for us to look at the overall posture that is involved in this operation.

It is not a positive thing, in my opinion, to be giving the Board advice on how to treat the GAC advice. Like you say, like Alan says, they will take some of it, of that we are sure. Let them do it on their own. That's my position.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Carlton. Next is Evan Leibovitch.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Hi there. This is Evan for the record. And I think actually there is a way to accommodate both Carlton and Alan. My own feeling about this is that this is a bit of a replay of what we went through, what everyone remembers as the GAC scorecard that happened, I believe, in Brussels.

So we have a precedent on something. But what we don't have is a precedent for what looks like to be a kind of shooting gallery to give the community the ability to blow-off steam of what it sees as how would the GAC get involved in this to the extent that it has.

Alan is absolutely right that the statement has overreached, however I am very, very hesitant to want to get involved in this particular public comment process, this particular kind of shooting gallery. We have strategic relationships that we have been cultivating with the GAC, and in fact on many issues, we stand sometimes arm in arm in confrontation with the rest of the domain community.

So I do not want to jeopardize that. I suggest that perhaps that we can accommodate both Alan and Carlton by officially sitting on our hands on this particular public comment period, but have some kind of way, Olivier, either during your SOAC conversations or in other less public forums to be able to convey our expressions on specific parts of overreach.

But to be able to do that in less formal methods, but still get our point across that there is some things that we support the GAC, and a couple of areas where they overreached. Maybe this is a form of a letter by Olivier to the Chair of the Board, as opposed to something specific part of this public comment, or maybe it's just part of one of the SOAC meetings, or maybe it's casual conversations.

I don't know what form it needs to take, what I do know is that I agree with Carlton that getting involved in this particular pissing match is probably not in our best interest. Thanks.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Here, here on there for that one. This is Cheryl.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Carlton, and thank you very much Evan, sorry, and thank you very much Cheryl. Next is Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you Olivier. The idea of commenting on the advice of the GAC, makes me an opponent to any comment today. Sure there is special comments that we can do, but what is the result, the final result?

We have to think about it. What said is even very important. We have very important relationship with the GAC now, and we may have comments to send to the GAC about [Garrett 0:37:29] that are recommendations, but we do have to help the Board to oppose to the GAC recommendation.

So I really feel that it is wise not to do anything today. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you very much Tijani. Next is Alan Greenberg.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm not going to spend a lot of time disagreeing with people, but just because we selectively identify some things in the GAC advice, which we now was controversial within the GAC, I don't think it destroys a relationship.

I think it fulfills our obligation. If the Board is going to disagree with the GAC, they shouldn't be doing that as the Board decides it, it should be doing that thing among other things, the community does not agree that a specific item is in fact not in the public interest.

The absolute protection of IGO acronyms is a good example. So I just don't see it that we're going to destroy a relationship by identifying a few things, some of which people in the GAC disagree with also, and standing by our principles.

But it's up to the ExCom and the ALAC to decide. I do think the ALAC should be involved in the decision.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Alan. Next we have Rinalia Abdul Rahim.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Thank you Olivier. This is Rinalia for the transcript. I find it actually interesting that the Board decided to make a public comment on GAC advice. I sort of understand it because I think they are being put in a hard place and they are looking for possible action to help them address some of the more controversial ones.

I think that it is somewhat inappropriate given that in the bylaws it states that government advice has a special place in ICANN, the Board has to give it due consideration. I also am heeding Cheryl's point, that she typed in the chat, things that – this is a poor precedent for advisory committee advice.

For example, if the ALAC were to give advice to the Board, and the Board then opened it up as public comment to say, “Here’s what the ALAC is telling us, please tell us what you think of that to have us make up our minds.” It’s fine for me that the Board wants to hear feedback, but I think it’s in poor form.

I would agree with my colleagues on the ALAC, that we should not comment in the public comment process regarding this matter. If there are specific things that we want to take up with the GAC, we should take it up with the GAC. That’s my opinion. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much Rinalia. And I’m seeing a number of people agreeing with you, Julie, Cheryl, and Tijani. I think that the majority of the ExCom certainly Carlton, Tijani, and Rinalia, are saying let’s not comment, let’s engage in the public comment.

There appears to be interest in still pointing out the issues, pick the pieces that we think are really out of place, and take this up directly with the GAC. And this could be done in writing over to Heather, the Chair of the GAC, in letting her know of the disagreement.

And equally concerned about this whole populism way of running things. Raise the... Get the population to start making noise and then say no, saying that the people wanted you to say no and it wasn’t really you. You were ready to go ahead with things, but the people wanted you to.

ALAN GREENBERG: This is a multi-stakeholder model.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It is a multi-stakeholder model Alan, but I... The way that the questions were asked, and reading between the lines, it really is a case of, here is the GAC advice, we're putting it on the well, start shooting. And we'll see the parts that are being shot at the most, and we'll say no to those.

And you know, of course, as in any advice, there is some which one might agree with or disagree with, but this one, I don't know. I just don't feel, it looks very strange. I just imagine the kind of response we would have if we had a very important point to make to the Board, and commented to the Board about it, and then our advice would then be put in the shooting gallery, and contracted parties, or other parties, non-contracted parties, whoever, would absolutely shoot it down and take it as a way to basically say, "Don't listen to the ALAC."

[CROSSTALK 0:42:39]...

ALAN GREENBERG: That's a different thing. Okay, just one quick point. It's Alan speaking. In terms of writing to the GAC, for items that they say they are deferring to Durban, that's fine. The things they've already gone on record as saying, they're not going to change their mind, the GAC virtually never changes their mind.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Well, and this is the point, you know, the fact that we do disagree on some points, we cannot get the GAC to change its advice. We could get

the Board to listen to its advice or not listen to the advice. But I'm particularly concerned that the way this show is effectively a way to weaken the GAC advice by deciding to pick and choose anything that is, that the Board likes.

It then follows that anything that it does not like, and it doesn't follow. There needs to be a real explanation as to why something is not in the public interest. Why some of the GAC advice might not be in the public interest. And I think that it would be important for the ALAC perhaps to point out these specific points are not in the public interest.

But I would be very [refer-en-cent 0:43:50] in posting this up on the village news and getting people to take rags and thrown them at it. Just the way that it is setup at the moment, feels wrong. I might be wrong myself, but that's the way I feel at the moment.

So if I could ask for an action item that we have a look at the... I mean, I guess we all read through the GAC advice, we've all read through the questions that are being asked by the Board, perhaps we could pick... First maybe pick those pieces which we disagree with, have a little core document of what pieces we disagree with.

And then build something from there, correspondences or otherwise, or even a statement over to the GAC. I think we very welcomed to, well maybe not welcomed but we are very much able to comment to the GAC.

We might have not done that before, but that could be a piece of inter-discussions and sometimes the, your friends are your biggest....

CARLTON SAMUELS: [INAUDIBLE 0:44:57]

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Olivier, I think it would be even for us to do a comment to the GAC then to comment to the Board. I really think strategically that's the better approach.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Carlton. Okay. We've got a plan. Is there any SOAC call anytime soon? I haven't got the calendar in front of me. There is one per month. So this is something I could definitely raise during the SOAC call. Remember this is just SOAC chair's call, this does not have SAS, this does not get transcribed.

This is just the way of the community, SOAC chairs, to catch up with each other and with what's going on. And I would be ever so happy to raise it there as well. That's something I could definitely do.

So maybe we do that as an action item as well, if you're okay with this. Okay. Thank you. Next the currently open public comments, there are two of them. the first one is mocking of a domain subject to UDRP proceedings.

It was decided that there would be no statement. And the second one is also, well actually it's the same. It's just been put twice there. I thought we had changed that last time. Okay.

Matt, or whoever it is, you'll have to reduce that to one. Right. Any questions or comments on any of these policy advice development discussions? I think we've touched on all of them.

Let's move on then. So the next thing, policy versus implementation and the GNSO indication follow up. Now I have received a letter, an invitation letter from the GNSO from Jonathan Robinson, who is the Chair of the GNSO counsel.

It is linked to your page and to your agenda page, and it basically discussing policy and implementation in the ICANN context. And it is going to soon send a formal call for volunteers. Maybe, Alan, do you know anything about this? Could you take us through this please? Briefly.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I'm sorry I walked away from a half a moment, and you pick that time to ask me a question.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

I knew you were not paying attention. Get us a work on policy and implementation of the ICANN text. There is going to be a call, formal call, for volunteers very shortly. I guess that we've been asked to supply people to be on that.

And at the moment, just because it's at the working group itself, the first call will be the drafting team for the charter, so drafting the charter itself, of that working group. And that's a first.

I can't recall the time when we were asked to draft a charter jointly with...

CARLTON SAMUELS: We always been asked. We might have been asked, but not listened to in the past, I'm not sure.

ALAN GREENBERG: Well, if you get people on the group and they get listened to. [CROSSTALK 0:48:15]...in, but they get listened to.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I've got Evan with his hand up. Evan you have the floor.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Hi. If I recall from the conversation from the session that we had at the last meeting, that was dealing with policy and implementation, there was talk about the idea of creating a cross-community working group to develop whether or not we need another cross-community working group to deal with this issue.

So the idea of having ALAC involved with the charter, as Cheryl and others have noted, is not new. But it is something that has of late fallen out of favor with the GNSO. So that this is something being done jointly is probably a good step forward.

And is also recognizing that the GNSO does not have the final say in this. That if it is going to be a community wide thing, that the community is interpreted as being something beyond the GNSO with this.

And that is actually something that we need to be thankful for. The GNSO has its own ideas of where policy and implementation break from each other, and it may not match those of us or others. So I don't think there is going to be a whole lot of contention in creating a charter for this, but there has a potential to be some fireworks when the thing actually convenes and starts dealing with the nitty-gritty of this.

So we need to be in the ground floor on this. One of the issues that was raised during the session at the Beijing meeting was, do we need to bring in outside experts? One of the panelists on the session on policy versus implementation said ICANN doesn't have the smarts to figure it out itself and should be bringing in outside consultants.

I don't think we need to go that path. I think that we just need people down in a room and have them figure it out. There is a number of issues of this kind of thing that are going to be need to be thrashed out.

I don't, like I said, I don't think the charter issues are going to be continuous but actually figuring out how to deal with them will be. Thanks.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Evan. Do we have any volunteers to start... I mean, I can issue a call for candidates...

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier please, may I speak first?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes go ahead Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah. Maybe I misunderstood Evan, I don't read this letter as saying this is a cross-constituency working group. This is a GNSO workgroup for which they want to have involvement, something which is allowed, and this time they are going the extra mile having the chair, ask other chairs for involvement.

It is still a GNSO working group, that doesn't mean we don't have... It means if we put intelligent people on the group who have salient things to say, it will get listened to. May not get agreed with, but [CROSSTALK 0:51:28].

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Olivier this is Evan. I would comment that this is an area where we would perhaps should assert that this should be a CCWG, not just ALAC input, but also GAC and other parts of the community. This is an ICANN wide issue, this is not something that's totally with the GNSO's remit. And this should be something community wide. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Evan. Any other thoughts on that suggestion from anyone? Alan your hand is up.

ALAN GREENBERG: Well my hand was up from before, my comment is we never have resolved how we managed cross-constituency working group. It's an

issue that the Board has mentioned again. It's an issue that the ATRT is going to be looking at.

I don't think we need to bring that one up at this point. There are already enough, an interesting situation with the SSNSO on that subject. I'm not sure we need that trouble right now. [Laughter]

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. So I hear a suggestion that we don't ask for a cross community working group, but we send people in this working group as soon as possible. And I gather that a couple of people here are already interested in being part of it, Evan and Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: I don't have the bandwidth for this. I'll end up putting myself on the list so I see the emails, but I'm not going to [CROSSTALK 0:52:56]...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:what's going on, okay. Evan do you want to dig into this? We're just dealing here with the draft [sneezing 0:53:02] start with the charter draft.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: My gut instinct is to say if this is going to be a GNSO driven thing, no. if it's a cross community thing, I'm in. I think I'm wasting my time if it's a GNSO effort, I'll leave it at that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Evan. I don't think that... I mean, judging from the work that Alan has done in the past on GNSO working groups, it's... And end up sharing a GNSO working group, that's been [CROSSTALK 0:53:37]...

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: ...the GNSO has a very specific interest, that is not necessarily the same as ALAC and we can identify that even ahead of time. That's why I'm sort of drawing a line on this one. This is an area of where there is a definite fissure between where ALAC sits on this issue and GNSO sits.

And so that's why I think even from the start of this, this has to be seen as something that is driven not just by the GNSO, but by the broader community. Because even asking the questions in a certain frame is going to drive this in a way that is going to come with some predetermined outcomes that, like I say, really don't make it a good use of time.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Do you have anyone, it's Olivier again. Do you have anyone that you would suggest for putting that in working group, anyone on the ALAC? Any names you might wish to gently ask forward. I see Alan and Cheryl with their hands up. So first Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. I don't... I guess I don't agree with Evan. The GNSO is not of a single mind, it is very divided on this certainly. In recent issues, on trademark rights, part of the GNSO has differed very much from the rest

of us. And the current position on how do you fix policy, I don't think the GNSO is very different from our position.

So I'm not at all convinced this is something that we're butting heads on. But that's just my position.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Alan. Next is Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you. I'd be interested in being on the list, but I don't have the bandwidth. I don't think it's appropriate, just the next 12 months for me to be [in tuning 0:55:31] in more JNSA workgroup. Certainly serves my journeyman time, and there are many of them.

But I would suggest that this might be highly appropriate to ask Holly [Reiche 0:55:43] to stick her nose in, at specifically the chartering level. In the real world, that is that exists outside of naming and numbering, and the [INAUDIBLE 0:55:54] the internet, I've seen her work over a number of years.

I know that she's very comfortable in that dotting l's, crossing t's, word sniffing and sniping each other environment that charter development can be. And because she clearly practices that and has got her appropriate armor on, I think it would be a reasonable ask.

And of course, what that means is, that we are seen as being interested and wishing to be engaged. And then depending on what the charter is saying, you then got the possibilities of next steps later. I would suggest that perhaps approaching Holly would be useful.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you very much Cheryl. So that would be an action item then, to approach Holly to act as our first person in this group to follow this through. And I'll be responding to Jonathon Robertson accordingly, to mention Holly to start with. Evan, are you okay with being in the chartering discussions or you just don't wish to even start...

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Just like Cheryl and Alan said, I'll listen in, I'd like to be part of it. I really, really want to... I would really like ALAC to assert that this should be a cross community group. And Alan, if you take a look at the GNSO archives, you'll see that the issue of policy versus implementation is the first time that GNSO has been unanimous about, between all the constituencies.

This is an absolute rarity. There is absolutely no record of it being a divisive issue. In fact, this happens to be the one that has brought them together. So this is definitely an issue where we have the GNSO, in this particular case, very single mindedly, that ICANN has stretched to far on the issue of policy implementation.

We have a very legitimate interest in pushing back on that. And if the GNSO led thing, we are at a disadvantage before we even start. And I would add one other issue is, before we go and volunteer Holly for this, while she is absolutely qualified and capable of this, she is also going to be absolutely buried in some of the RAA and RRR related things that we're doing as well.

In fact, the best thing we can possibly do is try to find new blood from elsewhere in ALAC. That may be too much to ask, but that's just my thought on getting Holly into this and that she's already getting very deeply into some of the other regulatory areas.

Of course, it's her call and of course she would be really good at it. I just make that note. Thanks.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Evan, can I just jump in there? It's Cheryl. She actually earns her keep doing that. It is what she teaches and this is not her stepping into an area that is non-interested in her [dialing plot 0:59:17]. Her work is this work. So...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Her work is policy process implementation. That's correct Cheryl. [Laughter]

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I tell you in internet law and regulation is what...

CARLTON SAMUELS: Yes. That's what she does.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah.

CARLTON SAMUELS: I think she can handle it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks. Alan you have your hand up.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah. Just one last point. The GNSO did send a letter but not everyone in the GNSO agreed, and for the most part, ALAC agreed with the GNSO majority position. That is staff should have not implemented things which we also deemed to be policy.

And staff went ahead and implemented it, so I don't see this as quite as controversial in the future. In hindsight, it's whatever you like is implementation, whatever you don't like is policy. It's real hard to tell ahead of time which those are going to be.

So coming up with a rationally, orderly analysis is something I think is in everyone's favor. Anyway okay.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you very much Alan. And I think I'll cut the discussion here now. We know what we're going to do, so Holly is going to be contacted and the thing is that she take part in this working group. As soon as we have an answer from her, and assuming it is a positive answer, I shall be responding Jonathon Robinson, Chair of the GNSO counsel and suggesting Holly's name, but also suggesting that the working group be made across the community working group.

I'm not sure what answer I will receive, it might be that the original GNSO working group might wish to consider turning itself into a cross-community working group, but if it doesn't we will work with the GNSO either way.

I think that's the way we'll move forward for the time being. If Holly does not agree with taking this on, then we will have to issue a call for people, and we'll have, as backup I guess as backup we can have Alan and Evan has list subscribers, and Cheryl as well, as list subscribers.

Then they can read through the discussions and the background. Alan, Evan, and Cheryl to be list subscribers. Thank you. So next agenda item is number six, and that's the topics for our next ALAC meeting next month. That's just a quick run through. Does anyone have any specific subject they would like to put on this ALAC meeting? The floor is open. I see Evan has put his hand up. Evan you have the floor.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Hi there. This actually references something in the early agenda three A ten, that has to do... In that list on the agenda, on the Adobe Connect, it mentioned how much challenges in terms of who it is that compliance workspace.

As most of you know, I've been suggesting the idea of merging a couple of our working groups, and in fact a couple would have turned into ad-hoc conversations and merging them into something that I'm calling tentatively the Regulatory Issues Working Group. So this would involve bringing together the work that Garth has been doing on compliance,

that Holly has been leading on the registrant rights and responsibilities, and that Carlton has been doing on the WHOIS.

And essentially bringing that into one formal standing working group that would consolidate it. There is a lot of cross-pollination of issues and there is certainly a lot of cross-pollination of people. In fact, most of the people that are listening to this call, are probably on at least two efforts. So I'm just suggesting that to save energy and be able to focus ourselves better, that we combine those efforts into one standing working group. Thanks.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much Evan. I've seen the discussion that has taken place on the email. The item of concern that I have is of course, so far it has been happening on the email. What I would suggest, before we even discuss this during our ExCom meeting or during our ALAC meeting, is to have the discussion go on the ALAC mailing list and take it from there.

So do a proposal on the ALAC mailing list. I've seen some support for your suggestions, I've also seen some people saying compliance might be kept as a separate item and not mixed with the other two. There is a high amount commonality between the different mailing lists of those working groups, but there are also some additional people who are not on one and are on another of the mailing lists.

I'm including people that are external to At-Large, or external to the ALAC, sorry. So we'd have to be looking at this, and I'd feel a lot happier if we can get the input from all of the ALAC conference as soon as

possible. If you wish this joining of the working groups to take place soon, and I gather that that might be at the next ALAC call, if things go fast and if there is consensus at the mailing list level, then you really need to send this directly onto the mailing list.

So onto the ALAC, send the [proper 1:05:04] over to the ALAC and we'll take it from there, and we can have an agenda item on the next ALAC call that would be, would you say 20 minutes to discuss this? Is that enough?

MALE: I'm hoping it will take less.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you. Well with the 20 minutes, just to make sure then we will be able to catch up on other things. And that will take it forward. I see Cheryl has put her hand up. Cheryl you have the floor.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: That new item [when you finish this one 1:05:35].

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It's a new item. Okay. Thank you. Is that clear Evan?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Absolutely.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, perfect. So are we still in number five, number six topic for the next ALAC meeting. Any other topics to add? Cheryl has put her hand up, so that's definitely that same hand who you've had earlier. And you have the floor Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you very much. Cheryl for the record. I wanted to... You'll need to determine the amount of time that I did want in the May meeting for you to call for socializing and call for members. And it needs to be done from the ALAC even though it will involve regional leaders for what we need to do in session.

[Soggy 1:06:37] memory, five point one three, I think it is, would be in the DCP, no. The Board member selection process committee, whatever those new letters are. The rules are so new.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's section five point one three, because we've got to have that done before, and working through June, before in July/August you form a DCEC four 20 14. So you need to foreshadow that you'll need talent in the DCEC.

And you need to have the short form because it won't operate for very long, the DNC, or whatever it is. More acronyms to end all [laughs].

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: ADSDT or something, right?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: [CROSSTALK 1:07:40]... selection process committee. I think that's what it is. I remember the number, it's five point one three.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Right.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: But...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: So would you need some time then on the next ALAC call...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah. If I can socialize it and if one of you could put forward motion, to have a message for the ALAC, you need a motion to form it, and then the AI would be for reaching out to the regent. Because obviously it needs to involve the regions as well.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: So that's items for decision then.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yes it would be. So I'll, Alan and I will intro it, or I'll intro it if he prefers, and we need to get the actual selection of the people on that process committee, which only has about six to eight weeks' worth of work to do. And then it reconvenes at the end of the process to see how the work was done.

So it has two weeks of work, and then we'll foreshadow that in the June/July period, people need to be looking for talent selling August/September you can actually form your next BCEC. That hasn't changed, it's still a BCEC.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: And that needs two from each region. Okay.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you. Next is Alan Greenberg.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. I'll be glad to put together a motion. I think it's important in the motion to identify the skills that we want. But we can't do this with people who are all new and who haven't seen the process and aren't familiar with the process. So we want some new blood, we also need some new experience. So I think it's important to word the motion accordingly.

Cheryl, I'm not quite sure why you're saying it only lives for a short amount of time. It oversees the whole process, so although if it's planned well, it has very little to do as the process goes along. [CROSSTALK 1:09:49]... less responsible for.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: People's time commitment is, in this very beginning, and then at the very end.

ALAN GREENBERG: If it's done its work properly.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Well [laughter]...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you very much.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you. So that's going to be proposed then. That meeting... How many minutes on this? 15 minutes as well?

MALE: I would think that should be more than enough, Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I would hope so.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Ten?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Make it 15 and hopefully you can get people to get that. Because we've got a lot of new people that literally don't know.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you Cheryl. So that's 15 minutes. Any other topics at this point for the May ALAC meeting? Cheryl you have your hand up.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: No, I just can't put the bloody thing down again. I couldn't put my hand up before now I can't seem to put my hand down. [laughs]

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thanks very much Cheryl. I don't see anyone else having put their hand up. Heidi do you have any other subjects you would suggest to us?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I would suggest... This is Heidi for the record. I would suggest Durban probably as a standing issue.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That's a standing issue anyway, yes, that's right.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. So far just that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you. [CROSSTALK 1:11:10]...

FEMALE: Olivier? I'm sorry.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes.

FEMALE: Just one... Perhaps an update from the ATLAS, just in terms of what we have submitted a revised proposal at that time, and then also if we've heard anything from finance regarding the fiscal year fortune request. Perhaps an update on that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Just great to that point. Okay, so let's [cut that 1:11:34] as well, yes. [CROSSTALK 1:11:36]

FEMALE: And one more, would you like updates from any working groups? And if so, which ones?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you. I'm not sure what working groups will have done significant amount of work until then. We had some updates during Beijing. Are there any working groups which you are aware of that has actually proceeded forward with things?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. This is Heidi. By that time, the Academy working group will have submitted a proposal for their pilot leadership training, and that might be useful to discuss.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Make it so.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you [laughter].

CARLTON SAMUELS: This is Carlton. Can I just... Let you know that I have to drop off I have to travel to a meeting, take me a little while. So I have to go.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Carlton, much appreciated. I'm in the same case as you are so we are going to finish this call very quickly.

CARLTON SAMUELS: See you all. Bye.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Carlton, thanks. Alan your hand is up, go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes. Thank you Jean-Luc. [Laughter]

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Come on, this is silly, go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG: [Laughter] I will have at least one and possibly more of the documents associated with the rules of procedure that need to be approved. Anything that I submit will not be controversial. I think... It could be done electronically or it could be done at the meeting, which ever you prefer.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Alan I think that anything to do with the rules of procedure would need still a short discussion on the ALAC call. So I'd be party to not coming up with any votes or any decisions on there, but certainly an update from you and a call for people to read what you've proposed, and a follow up on the mailing list.

ALAN GREENBERG: One of them will be the ALS approval procedures, which are going to be verbatim from what has been approved by the Board at this point. So that way I don't believe it's controversial, the others maybe more controversial, thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah. That's fine. Thank you for bringing this in, I was going to suggest this during the any other business, and ask who we're going to move forward with this. That's one of the big things at the moment, we still

need to have those additional documents drafted. There's also been some discussion...

Well, actually, let me just wait until any other business. And we'll move on [CROSSTALK 1:14:05]... Yeah. Thank you. Next, so agenda item number seven, item I believe. And that's the meeting schedule for the meeting in Durban. Heidi, you have the floor.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you. Everyone, this is Heidi. And I've just gone through the NVAC room, the link, the Durban website, web space. And you, most of you will have received messages requesting your working group would like to have [audio interference 1:14:38]... we're already moving ahead, you'll go ahead and see, if you click on under the meeting agendas.

And also the meetings are already being scheduled including the agendas. So I'm comfortable with where we are on that. What I would like to know is whether you would like to schedule meetings with any groups, AC or SC groups that we need to reach out to? So that's really what I'm asking today. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Okay thank you Heidi. Now I know for one that we would have a meeting with the AFLAC again. I remember one action item is that we needed to have one, and we needed to have a long meeting with the AFLAC, one hour.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Correct.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: ...particularly helpful and it was very good involvement. So pretty important [CROSSTALK 1:15:23] Cheryl go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: It might be time to admit to see whether we need to meet with the CCNSO. I'm just thinking study group and country territory to put bed pretty close by then will be downhill-ish, not completed, she would love to say completed by she can't, as the framework interpretation.

And we need to deal with, if not resuscitate or murder, the geographic [part in 1:15:54]. So GEO review, so that's in less than 45 minutes or an hour dealt with just on those.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you very much Cheryl. So that's an action item, staff to get in touch with DC [INAUDIBLE 1:16:13] staff and find out if there is an interest in a joint meeting with the CCNSO.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Specific to those topics though, let's be very deliberate about what we want to talk about.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: So specific to the GEO regions, to the framework of interpretation and what was the third one did you say?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: [INAUDIBLE 1:16:33] ...the progress on framework of interpretation, the latest GEO review, and update on study of country and territory names. Particularly the countries and territory names, you actually have a hell of a lot of seats at that table.

You've got five regional seats, and certainly one is not of course that you need, but now I think it's two to three others. At-Large, ALAC could actually have a voice in that, as it is you have three people regularly sitting at the table. But there are seven or eight seats actually there.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Perfect. The next, Rinalia Abdul Rahim, you have the floor.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Thank you Olivier. This is Rinalia for the transcript. Heidi, some comments regarding the scheduling. I think possibly a meeting with the HTRT 2 might be useful. Second, I note that we will have a discussion involving Sebastian [INAUDIBLE 1:17:45] twice on Monday, I would suggest that you make them back to back, one on [hapless 1:17:49] and the other one on the expert meeting strategy group.

And just to make sure that our [by logical 1:17:57] meeting with the ASO involves the RALO leaders, because I think it's really crucial that they are on board regarding that. As far as my impressions go, I think the – the sessions that we had in Beijing were really good. I think we should just follow that again with some additions. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Rinalia. Very good points indeed. So the ASO, the meeting with the ASO that should include RALO leaders this time around. I saw nowhere whether we want to make this a breakfast or if we want to make this a formal meeting. Let's find out with the ASO which they would prefer to go ahead with.

The meeting with the ALAC and the HTRT 2, very good point indeed, yes. That I think having the whole ALAC and the HTRT 2 would be very grateful the tip indeed. Tuesday perhaps yes, whichever time there is, I'll leave it to you. I don't know when the HTRT 2 has the time to meet with everyone, so it will have to be found out.

And the, sorry, remind me the other two which you mentioned Rinalia.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: The one with Sebastian [INAUDIBLE 1:19:23], there are at two different time slots I would [CROSSTALK 1:19:26]

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: They are not up to date...

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Okay.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: ...up to date yet. So that will be... The shuffling of the session is going to be happening later. The problem, and let me just remind you with this, the problem is the availability of people. And so, let's just choose who we want to see, and then we'll shuffle the – or Heidi will do this

fantastic shuffling of sessions to make them all appear magically at the right time, depending on what their own time tables are. Alan, your hand is still up.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah. I put it in the comment. The ATRT will be scheduling meetings with everyone. I would suspect the bulk of those meetings are going to be on Tuesday, on constituency day, so it may well be easier if we can be more flexible than that.

But I think that's between Heidi and Alice to some extent.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes. Thank you very much Alan...

ALAN GREENBERG: There is no way you would have... There is no way we're going to get away without meeting with the ATRT. [Laughter] [CROSSTALK 1:20:28]

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: ... drafted and has put it in the notes that she will be in touch with Alice this week. And, of course, both you, Alan, and I will be seeing Alice in a couple of days' time face to face in Los Angeles. So I'm sure we'll be able to find a solution to this.

MALE: Right. And those suggestions for meeting....

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Cheryl here. I never can put my hand up, before I couldn't put it down now I can't put it up.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I think... This is Cheryl for the record. Just in response to questions Heidi raised in the chat about any meeting with the GAC, I think you should ensure that you have a lunch meeting with GAC leadership, and GAC leadership and whoever they want to bring along. And your executive again for your office this time.

I think that was very profitable. I don't think that you're going to get much out of four GAC ALAC meetings this time around. So one of the things you can do with the leadership meeting, is plan when you're having your next full blown GAC ALAC meeting.

I just... They're too busy sort of licking their wounds at the moment for a whole lot of other reasons. I think that are needing, you know, doing emails and thinking rather than listening to us where we just had a the smaller meeting. I think that's quite productive.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much for the suggestion Cheryl, and that's exactly what I'm planning on pushing and on asking. So lunchtime meeting again, bearing in mind that the GAC is very likely to continue its work with regards to all the new GTLD applications.

And as you would have seen, the GAC advice there are quantities of names that are pushed to the next [beneath them 1:22:19], so that's a lot...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: [INAUDIBLE 1:22:22]

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Oh boy, they're very likely to still be deep in this sort of S-H-I-T, and will be not productive to have full GAC meetings with the rest of...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Exactly.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Working on towards ExCom and GAC leadership sounds absolutely fine. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you. What about meeting with the registrar? [CROSSTALK 1:22:46]...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Heidi. I think that we have now in the last two meetings, we've met with the registrar, we don't need to meet with him at every single ICANN meeting, so on this occasion we'll be giving it a rest.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I think that's what you agreed anyway, wasn't it? That you would do it as required in the future?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah. As required every now and then, yeah. That's right. It's good to keep up with what everyone is doing. There was an interest with meeting with the registries. How do people feel about this here? I see Alan has put his hand up, I don't know whether it relates to meeting with registries.

ALAN GREENBERG: It was about a comment on that. I'm not sure we have a lot of issues that we need to address, but if someone can identify what those issues are, for sure. I was just going to comment that I thought the meetings we had with the ExCom and the leadership of other groups, specifically the registrars and the GAC, was far more effective in terms of actually accomplishing things in our previous referrals of being...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yes.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So Olivier, this is Heidi, would you like to have a meeting with the leadership of the registrars [INAUDIBLE 1:23:59]? [CROSSTALK]

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: The meeting we had last time said we're not meeting at all in...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Perfect. Thanks.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Cheryl here. You've got your usual meeting with non-commercial stakeholder group, so that NCUC and [M-POC 1:24:22], that's going to say it's time for Durban isn't it?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Not sure. It really depends [CROSSTALK 1:24:31]...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: If it is, that's fine. But if it doesn't it seems a little while since you've touched based with the commercial users.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: For the CSG, I was going to suggest, yeah, that's a very good point indeed. Especially since there is a new person in charge of the BC and in charge of the ICC I think as well. Number of people....

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: ...touch base with that side, rather than...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I, would you suggest a public meeting? Or would you say a lunch with the leadership might be a good idea.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: The lunch with leadership is a good idea, and the breakfast that they've done previously has worked well. I thought that was quite good. We have a couple of those breakfasts and I think they are a good format, that something – the business community, it's part of their DNA, you know.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah. Okay. Let me just work this out with Heidi as a follow up. [CROSSTALK 1:25:31]...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: ...see what they want, but yeah.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah. And it wouldn't be breakfast with the BC leadership and ExCom, it would be a breakfast with the CSG leadership and ExCom.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah, that's right. Yeah. Or a lunch, it doesn't matter. But just touch base with them is important.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Any other suggestions? I think we've got already... I mean, we always say this will be a light schedule, the next one will be lighter. And

I see that everyone is all too happy to add their own little bit, their own brick to the [edifice 1:26:11], to make our life in Durban another channel.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: You keep jinxing yourself by saying it's going to be light.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. I'm going to close this agenda item and move then to number eight. But before that, actually, before closing it, Heidi you have an idea now of all of the meetings that we want? Or for the time being you've made good notes of it?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you Olivier, this is Heidi. I think I have a better record of the informal meetings. Tijani, I also want to work with you, if I may, about any [AFLO 1:26:47] activities. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you Heidi.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, yes. Yes Heidi.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes Tijani go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you. Thank you, Tijani speaking. We have a [RALO 1:27:10] call on Wednesday, and we have – Heidi is about the events we want to organize in Durban. But first we have to have this call to decide officially on, so that they will communicate to Heidi what kind of event and what kind of slots we will need. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Tijani. This is noted as well. Sounds good. So building this agenda item, the next one is any other business? I open the floor. I was going to discuss the joining of the working groups, but that we discussed earlier. So any other business?

I don't see anyone putting their hand up, so it looks like we've discussed everything we needed to discuss during this call. Thanks to all of you for this call, it's exactly 90 minutes past the start of this call. So we've done rather well.

And we will no doubt speak later in the week, and of course on the mailing list. So thanks to everyone and this call is now adjourned.

Various: Bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPT]