

GISELLA GRUBER: The recording has started, Olivier. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Gisella. Good morning, good afternoon and good evening everyone. This is the ALAC Executive Committee Conference Call on Wednesday, the 27th of March 2013. The time is 14.03 UTC, and immediately we can start with a roll call, Gisella, please.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you Olivier. On today's call we have Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Evan Leibovitch, Carlton Samuels, Tijani Ben Jemma, Cheryl Langdon-Orr will be dealing with [obese?] now. Alan Greenberg, Julie Hammer. Apologies noted from Rinalia Abdul Rahim, and from staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Matt Ashtiani, Silvia Vivanco, and myself, Gisella Gruber. If I could please remind you all to state your names when speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you. Over to you, Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Gisella. So today we've got a one-hour call. I'm going to try and make it as efficient as possible for various reasons. I think a number of us have to go early. So, let's quickly have a look at the Action Items of the 26th of March ALAC Meeting, which was yesterday. Fresh Action Items. We'll just have a look at the open Action Items. I don't see any newly defined Action Items on the list. The first two Action Items are related to the WCIT, and then as we know there's been no movement on that. The third one, the Rules of Procedure Working Group to provide its work to the ALAC. Once the Rules of Procedure Working Group provides its work to the ALAC, the ALAC Members will have two weeks to read through the work, and then there will be a single purpose call and the ALAC will vote of the new ROP. I think we can say this is all in order, all moving forward quickly. Cheryl?

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Sorry, I'm just going 'yey!' [laughing]

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yey! Okay, that's great, so there's a 'yey!' from Cheryl. Great.

ALAN GREENBERG: If I can update the Group of the status?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, go ahead Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, the Report... The ROP has been updated, I've just got to give it a once-over before sending it out to make sure nothing stupid happens along the way, as often does with [Hay Whitword? 00:02:32], and it should go out sometime today. I'm just absolutely overwhelmed with both conference calls and other ALAC related work that I'm trying to get done, it's the... Well, we'll talk about the other issues as we go along.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay Alan. Thank you very much. I'm absolutely overwhelmed with happiness, and I really have to thank you and Cheryl very much for the shepherding of this process, which has been a long, very long process, as we know. Next, Olivier is to send a call for volunteers to the RALOs and ALAC wants a list of working groups that are of interest to At-Large has been compiled. Alan is to provide the GNSO Working Groups that would be of interest and could be joined. Alan, you very kindly listed them yesterday and staff has made a note of them and I'll probably be able to take it from there, as soon as I've got a full list then we will send letters out to the mailing list about those working groups.

Next, one Item which has been done, is Cheryl to provide the [heat? 03:46] initial working groups that would be of interest and can be joined yet, but that's done. Gisella is to provide a list of At-Large working groups, that's done as well. All the Action Items are done on there. Any

comments or questions? I don't see anyone putting their hand up, so I invite you to have a look at the Action Items of the ExCom call; our last ExCom call on the 18th of March. That's barely nine days ago, goodness.

So, looking at the open Action Items first, Olivier is to inform the contact at the Regional Secretariats asking them to contact the ASO Leadership. And Olivier is to make introductions with the ASO Leadership. This will be done in the hopes of promoting inter-regional collaboration, inviting the RIRs to the RALO Secretariat's Meeting and further cross-community collaboration. Since we are going to be meeting with the RIRs, sorry with the ASO Leadership in Beijing, I thought we are just a week away from Beijing; it probably is a good way forward to first speak to the ASO and then initiate it immediately after Beijing, or even during Beijing. Any comments or questions on this? I see no one, okay.

Next, the newly assigned Action Items. Heidi is to work with ICANN staff on the objections filing. I just found out that's been done, and Heidi, do you have an update on this?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, this is Heidi. So from an ICANN perspective, yes, all three objections have been received from the ITC... Matt, correct me, but we've received confirmation for two and we're following up on a daily basis on the third.

MATT ASHTIANI: I believe, the third, they actually responded to us yesterday. Olivier noticed that.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, because I thought I saw you send one more this morning?

MATT ASHTIANI: I did, that was incorrect.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, so all three now have been confirmed by the ITC.

MATT ASHTIANI: Yes they have. And this is Matt, for the record.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, thanks very much.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much. And of course, if you want to know the correspondence, they're in the lists now, the objections list, which contains all of the correspondence in there. Although I think... Oh, no, it is not open to others, it's open to people on the list.

Anyway, next, Heidi is to prepare notes and follow-up Action Items on all meetings held in LA.

HEIDI ULLRICH: That has been completed, I'm going to take that into the [Chair? 00:06:37] in just a moment and all people, all staff members that Olivier and Alan met with have Minutes of those.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Fantastic, thank you. Heidi to contact Holly Raiche and Rinalia Abdul Rahim urgently if no AP RALO FY 14 AC Request is received. That's of course been received, so that's done.

Heidi is to work with Cheryl Langdon-Orr and Alan Greenburg in sending a note on Rule 27 of the Rules of Procedure for the Sunday session.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, Matt, these are all complete. This is Heidi.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Fantastic, thank you. Next, a Metrics as defined by Consumer Choice as to be discussed on the next ALAC call on the 25th of March. That's been, somehow, discussed. Certainly the Metrics have been discussed; there was a call for Membership of that Working Group. Evan have you had any volunteers? Additional volunteers?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: No, essentially the only people that have stepped forward with comments have been Carlton and Thomas Lowenhaupt, a RALO Member who was involved in the [.myc? 07:56]. He's actually been the most active contributor.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: So no one since yesterday? I did issue a call that was virtually on our knees.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Nope, no.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Well, okay. Thank you Evan.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Nope. Here's one of those situations where I have no idea if silence means agreement or if silence means no one gives a damn.

ALAN GREENBERG: No [damn? 00:08:23].

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Or if silence means no one's read what you've done, so they don't necessarily know if they agree or don't give a damn.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: We did ask yesterday...

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Which is my case.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: ...For people to join that group and do some reading and comment, and even take part in the working group, so I'm... [inaudible 00:08:48] that there is no response at the moment from much of our ALAC.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Well I understand the response from the present company in this call, most of whom are absolutely, totally swamped over from the deluge of things coming from Beijing related events. However, there's an awful lot of people on ALAC who aren't, let's say not even knee-deep, who aren't even toe-deep in this.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Well I think we might have to do something to make them at least foot-deep into this. Dipping the toe is something that we can't do with just a handful of people that assume all the work.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, but medieval torture machines are outlawed in most places. [laughing].

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Alan. [laughing]

CARLTON SAMUELS: Ooh, Alan is in a state this morning.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: He's in a fighting mood for [inaudible 00:09:46] call. [laughing] Let's go quickly before we get bitten. So the regions are to be encouraged to do more work with the regional registries, that's to be discussed by the Regional Secretariats in Beijing, so that still needs to be done. Any comments or questions on any of these action items?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Olivier, sorry this is Evan, regarding the Metrics stuff, how would you like me to proceed? I can bring in... I can essentially incorporate all the comments I receive and I'm happy to do so, and most of them have been friendly amendments that I'm quite happy to deal with. But beyond that, this is going to be something that's going to be put forward to the ALAC and it looks like it's going to be put forward with most of the people not having a clue what this is even to be about.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: That's probably an accurate description of it Evan.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Do you think that we might need to discuss this in Beijing, maybe spend some time discussing this, and that you can at least take people through what you have written?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Well, the commitment that was written in the last statement was that we would have something approved in Beijing for forwarding to the Board TLB Sub-Committee, and we made the commitment to do that. So one way or another, either people are going to sleep-walk or they're going to be aware of this, but this almost has to come up for approval there one way or another.

ALAN GREENBERG: Can someone put the URL to whatever you've done on Skype and I'll try to look at it today, although when I do not know.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. I pasted into the AC room yesterday so hopefully...

ALAN GREENBERG: I know, but AC rooms disappear, that's why I've said on Skype.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Oh, you'll get it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Are we looking at [New Way Eye? 00:11:45], Matt? I just noted that Matt has put something in the chat. It looks like it. Okay, unfortunately, let's go back to the Action Items of the ALAC Meeting yesterday. There are three newly assigned Action Items which are there, that were not there a moment ago. If you reload your Wiki page you will note; two active GNSO Working Group are RICPD and IGO INGO. Outlined Members are to be invited to join these working groups. Okay, that is still to be done.

Matt Ashtiani is to send a [inaudible 00:12:28] to the staff as soon as possible for the proposed 2013 RAA Public Comment, advising the ALAC will post a statement on it during the reply period. I think this probably needs to be done today. And then the revised ALAC ROPs are to be translated into the five UN languages, and Portuguese. Okay, that's better actually. Well, none of these are done yet; they're all in progress, for the record.

So let's move onto the next part of this call. That's the Policy Advised Development Page. We went with a whole list yesterday of recently adopted ALAC statements. We also went through the list of statements currently being developed. You've got them all in front of you, you've also got the open public comments. With the currently open public

comments there's no statement for each one of the... For the statement or endorsement currently being developed, reviewed or voted on by the ALAC, does anyone have any comments or points that they need to make?

Perhaps we can take them one after the other. So, the FY 14 Community Travel Support Guidelines, Tijani is to draft a statement. How is this coming along, Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: So, as I wrote to Alan, I started drafting this statement but Alan expressed some concern about these new guidelines so I asked him to send me points that he will...

ALAN GREENBERG: It's on my list. I will get to it as soon as I can.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Alan, what do you do all day? You sleep, or what? I mean...

ALAN GREENBERG: That's right, I sleep, I play games on the internet, I take long walks, I sit in the sun. Oh, it's endless what I do.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Do you swim as well? You probably do swim.

ALAN GREENBERG: In the same fictitious swimming pool as relates to the fictitious sun, yes. [laughing]

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Alan. Thank you for being frank with us. Finally we learn the truth.

ALAN GREENBERG: Finally you learn the truth. It's about time I was honest. [laughing]

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Evan?

CARLTON SAMUELS: Leave Alan alone this morning.

ALAN GREENBERT: Never mind.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Go ahead Evan.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: My question isn't so much about Tijani's point, but something that isn't on this list. And maybe it's inappropriate but at some point I really need somebody to explain to me how the Budget and Finance Committee is working this year. [Nwral Ugar? 00:15:40] seemed to be 30-seconds notice to submit stuff. I was totally taken aback, so was everyone else in the region. And as it turned out, it was only one thing that was submitted, and even that was something that Glenn submitted into the committee without having gone through the full [RAWL? 00:16:01] process. And so there was an email back saying, are you guys aware of this? And the answer was yes, but there was absolute, total confusion over the Budget Request process this year.

And I don't know if that was shared in other regions, I don't know if that's appropriate for this call, but I know that I've been involved in a couple of submissions in previous years and at the very least we were given the chance to at least have enough time to debate this at a single RAWL call. That didn't happen this year; there was so little notice give. So we've submitted stuff, but too late for what I think was called the

Fast Track. And now there's reconsideration given to whether are not things are going to be considered for later. I'm just saying the [belist? 00:16:49] for the feedback that I'm getting from the rest of the RALO is that there is absolute, total, utter confusion about the process and the ways that things were being submitted this year. I don't if this is an appropriate spot because it isn't in this list but I think it has to be noted of just how this has really confused the heck out of people in the RALOs, at least in North America.

ALAN GREENBERG: I would suggest an in-person discussion to make sure we don't do it again. Unless something is to be gained by addressing this today in this meeting when we're all on a tight schedule.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: The only reason I'm mentioning it now is there still might be an opportunity to submit things for the non-Fast Track timing of the budget, going forward. This was an option that was brought to NA RALO, I don't know if other regions have fought this hard enough to get that response back.

ALAN GREENBERG: I was talking about the analysis of how it happened.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: As Chair of the Finance Committee, of the Finance and Budget Sub-Committee, I've just put a link to the ALAC Sub-Committee on Finance and Budget. There are three individuals from NA RALO who are on that list. It is their job to relate to the RALO and to deal with you. If none of the three have actually done their job correctly then we have to talk to them. Some regions have worked better than others, I guess, at this. But the reason for this Sub-Committee is for people on that Sub-Committee to take charge of the financing and the speaking to the RALO about this. It's not a fault of the process; it's a fault of the individuals.

Now, with regards to having a second round – the whole system, with a first and second round – was explained on the Finance and Budget Sub-Committee. We had several meetings; we had meetings with Xavier Calves, who explained things quite clearly, and if this hasn't been relayed back to your region then I don't know what to do. We have so much going on in At-Large these days, I'm not going to have every single copy of every email sent to every list carbon copied over to the ALAC list, because people read even less of them. [inaudible phrase 00:19:18]

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

No, I understand, but the answer that I wanted to get was the region-specific issue that had to do with the people and that other regions had enough time and were able to submit. That's a reasonable answer, and if that... Right.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Unfortunately Evan, you are not the only region that was in this situation. Now, I understand there was little time; the schedule was somehow compressed. But had your representatives been in touch with the region immediately, when the process started, then it wouldn't have been just the last few days. And I must say that Heidi had to send several reminders to people because nothing was received by some regions just about an hour before the closing time. So I find it very funny that the RALOs then afterwards complain that they're not given any funding to do anything, but yet when they're asked to actually prepare things – and we all know that this time of the year is when we have to prepare things – they don't do anything.

Same thing for the questions that we have to ask to the Board and to people during the ICANN meeting, and those very delegates afterwards that come to us and say, why are those meetings so boring? Why didn't we write the questions? The answer is that actually you were given the chance to write the questions. I'm not being upset here [laughing], but I'm saying that this is a process where there was time, there was a schedule, and in fact I think that it went quite smoothly as far as the

interaction with the Finance Department is concerned. Now, understanding this, I have actually sent another email to the Finance and Budget Sub-Committee to ask whether they think it's okay to have a second round. Because there is a normal track that would need to be submitted before the end of April, so that would then give another month until being able to send things. And there is, in fact, another meeting that is scheduled for the 22nd of April, I think, of the Finance and Budget Sub-Committee, so they could actually work on that if they needed to.

The response I've had so far is total silence, so what can I do? What can I do? There are people from all the regions on there, it seems that they're not interested in financing their regions and helping their region in actually getting things, so I don't know what to say, Evan. Maybe you should ask them if they received the email that was sent to the F&D Sub-Committee? Maybe it's in their spam box, I don't know.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

No, I totally get what you're saying. And it's interesting; even you noticed that there were submissions that were made in previous years that hadn't been re-submitted and you were wondering why, and the question was legitimate, and I didn't have an answer.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

I raise the question, why? Because I saw many of the regions not actually re-submitting something they were submitting last year. And in the light of the fact that this year there is a new management, we might have a lot more chances of getting things financed. You know, policies do change, so... I'm going to ask again the Finance and Budget Sub-Committee and see what their response is, and if there is no response then I can't really extract a lot out of a stone, I'm really sorry.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Asked and answered.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, thank you Olivier. I am really surprised, Evan, because this is the first year that we really more attention to the process, the process of applying for additional funding for [AL and AC? 00:23:20]. And our Sub-Committee has answered calls with the RALOs, and it was to explain the process and the deadline. Now, for the Fast Track, it's too late, but for the normal track, you're ALSs or your guys in your group can apply, no problem. We will have another meeting on the 22nd, and I think if you send your request very soon it will be considered.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay, thank you. I was under the impression the Fast-Track was the only meeting considering anything and that...

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: [overspeaking] ...Okay, thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: All right. Thank you. Next is Alan Greenberg.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, Olivier, I'm looking at the mailing list. Am I correct that the North American people are Edwardo, Darleen and Gareth [spelling of names? 00:24:23]? I'm on the list but I'm there as an Auditor, not as a Member, so...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I see Edwardo, Alan and Darleen listed.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm not there as a Member, but Gareth is also listed.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Alan [Scuse? 00:24:41] is on the list, not you.

[overtalking]

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, so we have four North Americans other than me who are there? All right. The RALO has some work to do. [laughing]

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It's unfortunate. And...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: And it's affecting a lot of [our allies? 00:25:04].

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, let's move on then, noting that... This was all started with the FY 14 Community Travel Support Guidelines. But I do thank you, Evan, for asking this question actually, because I think it had to be put on record what happened. So I appreciate the question being asked. And hopefully we can have a positive answer to get the second round done and get more... I absolutely want the RALOs to be able to do things, so it only is [bad? 00:24:47] to not see any additional requests.

The FY 14 Community Travel Support Guidelines, coming back to this. Tijani will liaise with Alan on Alan's points. How soon, Tijani and Alan, how soon do you think we can have a first draft? Before Beijing?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I understand the first... The last, but I am waiting for input from Alan to add them.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yep. Tijani, if you send me that it may make it easier for me to comment, but I will get to it. It will not likely be today. I have too many other things that have deadlines on them that are... Today or tomorrow, including several conference calls.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you gentlemen.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I understand, Alan. I understand. Alan? You have expressed to the community that you want to include... But I want your point.

ALAN GREENBERG: I understand, I do. But I'm not in the... You will get them. You've never known me not to speak up. [laughing]

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you gentlemen. Next, the Preliminary Issue Report on ECL Registration Data Services. Carlton is written down as drafting a statement. How is that coming along, Carlton?

CARLTON SAMUELS: I haven't started yet, but I'll do it some time this weekend. As it's the weekend I might have a few moments.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, excellent. Next, the FY 14 Security, Stability and Resilience Framework. The ALAC is currently commenting. I invite you all to have a look at the magnificent work that Julie Hammer has drafted. It's short, it's sweet but it's to the point. I see Alan has put his hand up, Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Sorry, that's an old hand.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. So we have a vote that will open on the 11th of April. So we've left it as a long call for comments. We have until the 9th of April to comment, and I think that staff has just sent something out to the list to ask for comments.

Next, the Public Interests Commitments Dispute Resolution Procedure. The comment period closes on the 19th of April. What did we come up to yesterday? I know that we discussed this but I can't quite remember what was the next process for that? Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: That wasn't me. I think it was Holly who volunteered but I'm not 100% sure.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Oh, it was Holly. You are correct. Matt, do you have that written down, and would you please follow-up with Holly on this?

MATT ASHTIANI: I sent her an email; I'm just waiting for a response.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, perfect. Next, the proposed 2013 RAA – that's much more within our ranks. I've seen a little bit of movement on the list. Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes, thank you. There's been some mail on mailing list... And again I said yesterday that [Register? 00:29:35] Rights is not the right place because it's not necessarily the same sub-group. There has been some mail on there, there had been... Polly made a very long posting on Wiki, which I responded to, Carlton made a very short posting on the Wiki,

which I responded to. Carlton, if you could – privately or on the Wiki, whichever you choose – get back to me on the questions I asked back? Because I’m not quite sure I understand what you’re aiming at on a few of the questions. I will try and get something out moderately quickly.

CARLTON SAMUELS: Okay. I’ll have a look and get back to you.

ALAN GREENBERG: My challenge is... I think we don’t want to have a 25-page document. I don’t think we want to go off on tangents, asking for things that have not been under discussion at all. There is no chance that the RAA is going to be reopened for things that are already closed at this point. Nobody is that much of a masochist.

CARLTON SAMUELS: I agree with you that it should be kept short. But I also feel that if you think that the [GAC is not asking out of disappointing, I don’t know? 00:30:38]...

ALAN GREENBERG: I understand, but there’s no reason to get in a tizzy as some people have over things... You know, this is not an opportunity to fix all of the problems in the RAA. The process we’re going through is a horrible one; we should have been involved earlier, we weren’t. We all know the sins, but this point staff has opened it primarily focusing on the issues where they are not agreeing with Registrars. And as I understand it, the Board has a real hard decision to make: do they impose this unilaterally on Registrars, which contractually they may be able to do – the wording is sufficiently vague, but the Registrars may take them to court over it. They’re trying to decide as to what extend the community behind their positions versus the Registrars positions, and to what extend should they risk cleaving the community in half and ending up with a lawsuit

over this particular issue. And I think that's where we have to try to provide as much guidance as we can.

CARLTON SAMUELS: I agree with you, I agree with you. And that's why I think the way... Make it short, make it so that we agree with this, we agree with that, we support this, we support that. That's the whole point about my writing about 'why'.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Let's go on.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you very much gentlemen. Then we can move onto the next stage, which is...

ALAN GREENBERG: Oh, Evan has his hand up.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Sorry about that Evan, please...

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I think it's appropriate to mention at this moment that the kind of GNSO-wide support that Registrars are trying to muster against with is generally being claimed to be a staff conspiracy, it's starting to get, I think, reasonably widespread support in the GNSO. Monitoring the NCSG mailing lists and elsewhere, there is an extreme amount of anger that the different constituencies are feeding upon each other, in trying to say that the staff have declared – essentially – war on the community. Are you subverting the MSM? And in fact, right now, I'd say there's a reasonable shot that the NCSG – and possibly is going to get the support of other constituencies – is planning to launch an ombudsman complaint against ICANN senior staff for subverting the

MSM, not only in the RAA issue but also in the trademark clearing house issues as well. So, just a little bit of a heads-up that the kind of GNSO-wide support for perception that staff is trying to override the MSM and trying to override the “community” that they’ve built up. It may be as serious, or more serious than you think, and it is beyond simply just the Registrars’ stakeholders.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much Evan. I see that Alan has put his hand up.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes that is true. And there already is an ombudsman support over the original [strawman? 00:34:53] proposal and the Board, at some level, didn’t think this through clearly. On the other hand, what they put in is not a simple, unilateral: ‘the Board can change the contract when they want’. There was a two-year process and waiting period and discussions that goes along with it. So everyone is presenting their part of it. It’s the classic elephant analysis and everyone is playing a game of presenting a part of it that they like or don’t like, and ignoring the rest. And I think we need to take a position somewhere in the middle. We may not win, but I think we need to be taking a rational decision.

And if you remember, I brought that issues up on the briefing call, and [James BeDell? 00:34:28] basically agreed with me that ICANN does need an out. He may not do that in a formal Registrar meeting, but we need an out, but we’ve got to make sure it’s reasonable and I think that we can propose something that meets that. So it’s not going to meet the agreement of some of the parties but let’s see what we can get an agreement on. But Evan is right, this particular issue is the first time the GNSO has come together on anything in my life, as far as I can remember.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: [laughing] Wow! That has to be the statement of the day. Thank you very much Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Other than rubber-stamping things that ended up being milk toast, because that's the way the multi-stakeholder model works.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Right, well thank you very much gentlemen for this, and I'm glad to see that there is much work at least going into the discussions... Into our discussions for our comments on the RAA. And staff will send a note that we will be submitting something, and I gather that we probably won't be submitting it much before the end period closing on the 19th due to, I think there is a lot of work. And we might even discuss this in Beijing.

Right, next, the statement on WCIT outcomes, well, that's still awaiting Olivier to draft a statement, so that's still pending.

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier, stop swimming so much and get to work.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I know, it's just one of these things. I enjoy travel, fun, parties, the whole lot way too much, and I should probably get down to doing some real work. [laughing] Go ahead, Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: As this is for the transcript records and Google crawls will go through this, we're very much in a midst of tongue-in-cheek and [inaudible phrase 00:36:55], the exception of Alan's reasons and analysis of the GNSO is spot-on and he knows how to [take a joke? 00:37:02].

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Which was very good indeed, yeah. Well done. Okay, let's have a look. Review of the ALAC Meeting that took place on the 26nd of March 2013. I thought it was quite a good, productive meeting. It lasted the usual

two hours rather than one and a half hours... Actually, even a bit more this was. But it went very fast for me; I hope it went fast for you as well. Any questions from you on the revised Rules of Procedures? The update from FBSC, the update from [Select? 00:37:49] At-Large Working Groups, Review of At-Large Meeting Schedule, or... In fact, I think that we might have a few words to say about the new gTLD Working Group Recommendation on Post-Objection Findings Activities. The floor is open.

Well, there's not much more to be said. Okay. Well, certainly on the Post-Objection Findings Activity, I think the next step now would be to populate a group. There is a question that has been asked on several occasions already, which is: if we are going to follow-up with those three objections, we need to have a subject leader, an objection leader for each one of them. And I think it was Alan who suggested that we would have different people for them. Maybe we could have the same along the different groups, but maybe a different leader for each one of these. Any thoughts on that?

ALAN GREENBERG: Sorry, I just had to step away for a moment and I heard my name mentioned, so I don't know what you're talking about. Just point me to the right Item.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Item #7: At-Large New gTLD Working Group Recommendations on Post-Objection Findings Activity.

ALAN GREENBERG: Oh, okay, thank you no. Yes, I did [inaudible 00:39:22] and no, I don't have any comments.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, this is about the Rules of Procedures and again and again and again, thank you Alan. Alan was able to incorporate even my very late comments on the text so a big thanks to Alan.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Tijani. Go ahead Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you Tijani, thank you for that. And I do think that in a perfect world that ALAC should be able to go onto them with [inaudible 00:40:04] Rules of, I think it was 72 or 73. Back to the Objection Procedures though, I think there would be something to be said for having the same people but with different leadership. [inaudible 00:40:22] people very thin on the ground and perhaps risk losing expertise if you insist on completely new groups for each objection. That said, I must say that I must stay at arm's length from all things New gTLD and I won't [comment either? 00:40:54] under those lines. I'm looking at it from a pragmatic, logistics side of view and now, with any sort of suggestion on the necessity or otherwise of the Objection Process.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you very much Cheryl. Good point. Well, I suggest that in order for us to discuss this further and really take next steps we wait until Beijing to get going. We have issues a call... No, we have not issued a call for Members yet. [dog barking] I'm stepping away. There's so many other things taking place simultaneously... Having not had much response yet from the ITC [dog barking] [inaudible 00:41:49] District Resolutions Provider, we probably need to... [laughing] Bark bark. We probably need to... I'm losing concentration on this now. We probably need to discuss this further over in Beijing, face to face, and work out a plan moving forward. What I encourage you all to think about right now is to think of those people you know within At-Large to

perhaps ask directly if they are not in the Review Group yet. I know that one step that would take place would be to ask Members of the Review Group if they wish to remain on this Objections Group now, because some may not be willing to continue. And then when these are transferred over, we would then ask for new Members to come in. Certainly, there is a need for the old Members to be there, if only for the historical perspective and knowledge. There's also another concern, which is to continue entertaining the dialogue with the original Objector, the Organization that sent its objections to the ALAC to start with. That's certainly something that need to be followed-up, and I will be speaking to them about it, since [Dev? 00:43:17] has been in contact with the Objector to start with.

So that's this section. Rules of Procedure, I don't think there's very much else to say, we are moving towards a vote. The FBSC we've spoken about already. The At-Large Working Group update, that was fine. Really, is there anything else you wish to touch on? Evan, go ahead.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Hi Olivier, I just wanted to have a quick work, back on the issue of the Objection Process. One of the things I think we're going to need to do is also go back to people who were involved in the discussions who were speaking in favor of putting forward the objections. One of the issues that you have a couple of people that were involved in this, including myself, [Avery? 00:44:16] and Carlton, who really didn't believe in a lot of the heart of the objections themselves. So it's going to be necessary not only to have people that are comfortable with the process, but people who are comfortable with taking an advocacy position. You've advocated in favor of the objections, so have people like Rinalia.

I think we need to go and look for people who not only are comfortable with the process, but also now have to be involved in taking an advocacy role of why we wanted the objections, what it is we want out

of the negotiations with the applicants; I think that's going to be necessary in order for the second step to be effective. We're moving from a purely process-driven role now to one that more involves advocacy and define goals that we want to get out of negotiations. Anticipating that there might be a step in which what we want has been satisfied and we withdraw our objections before getting to a Service Provider. So the needs, I think are changing dramatically as we go from the process of filing the objections to actually negotiating them.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Evan. A very good point, too. Okay, so let's move on I think. Let's look at the next Item on our list. That's the Meeting Schedule for the 46th ICANN Meeting in Beijing. Heidi, would you please lead us through that. You might be muted Heidi, I can't hear you. Have we lost Heidi? Hello? I can hear someone else on the line, so there's someone at least; I'm not the one who's dropped off.

GISELLA GRUBER: Olivier, Gisella here, we're just checking on Heidi.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you.

UM: Sure, I'll put that into the chat right now.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: [the mysteries of the... just continue to amaze? 00:46:49]. Thank you Mitch [? 00:47:04]

HEIDI ULLRICH: Heidi's back. Heidi, yes.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, Heidi you have the floor to take us through the Agenda or the Beijing Meeting.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, in the interest of time, I think really the Agendas are all set. Invitations were sent out yesterday, we're getting confirmations back. I just want to bring your attention to two meetings that have changed. One is the ALAC meeting with the [MCSG? 00:47:36]. That is now going to be Monday, between 14.00 and 15.00, that was moved to Wednesday, and then the other one is the new gTLD Objections Meeting, I'm sorry the Full New gTLD Meeting that is now moved a little bit later to 16.00 to 17.00 because there was a conflict with Avery for that one. Besides that I think the urgent thing really is to get the Wikis room set up for questions to the Board: very urgent. Also for Sally and the [GSP Team? 00:48:19], we would need questions for both the GSP as well as the Communications Department that she had. She also came back and asked if that Sunday session with her, whether the Regional Vice-President should be there, and I think that that's an excellent idea but that's up to you. Any comments on that, whether her Regional Vice-President should come to that meeting... That session as well?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Cheryl. I [emailed across? 00:48:45] is one of the other [work words? 00:48:50] for [treason? 00:48:52] functioning, specifically in the Beijing Meeting, I think that's wonderful.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Heidi, I did answer, but I'm all for it Heidi.

[overtalking]

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: If there is no [age-specific? 00:49:10] at that stage, perhaps someone could make known that collection of material information from those meetings and [inaudible 00:49:31].

HEIDI ULLRICH: I believe that Xiaodong Lee is supposedly going to be there for Beijing. [overtalking].

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: ...Who does care and can be effective, would actually capture the information and pass it onto someone who would be replacing him. That would clear it up. [laughing]

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, I'll find out... So I'll see if [inaudible 00:49:55] in Beijing. [laughing] Besides that, again, Gisella is going to be handling all of your social and your informal meetings, there's just too many for me to keep track. So, Gisella, do you have any updates on all of those lunches and ruckus etc., that the ExCom and Liaisons are going to? Or are you going to be sending a list of them, Gisella? Gisella, we can't hear you.

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry, I'm talking to myself. Gisella here, I'm talking to myself. I'll send through a list. I'm still finalizing venues, but I think even before finalizing the venues I'll send the list through to all of you just to approve, and then I'll send it to the ExCom and Liaisons on where, when and how. But the ones that you're already aware of are the Saturday night dinner with the ExCom and then you've got [James Sen's? 00:51:00] dinner on Sunday night. Monday we have the ExCom and GAC lunch, and Monday night is the showcase, very important, and I know other people will be going onto other events after the showcase. Tuesday we have the cocktail with the Board, very important, 18.00-19.00, and then I know that [all of you has got an ISAC? 00:51:23] and then there's a music night. And Wednesday is just the Gala evening and the ASO breakfast, which I'll be setting up. And Thursday ExCom and Registrar lunch, so it's a pretty full schedule.

[overtalking]

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: [inaudible phrase 00:51:42]. Are you planning on [inaudible 00:51:53]? Or just in the hall?

GISELLA GRUBER: Well, for the smaller groups, which is just ExCom and [inaudible 00:52:04] Registrar, they will be in your schedule, Cheryl's and Olivier's, but I won't put them on the main At-Large. I have already updated all the calendars, so Cheryl if you see things that you really don't want to attend, just deject them. I may have added meetings that you're really not interested in.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Honestly, I don't mind the overlap; I just know we need to get the locations and things, that's all.

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes, Gisella here, the At-Large Google Calendar has been updated with everything.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Certainly, thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much. And now we have Alan Greenberg.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, thank you. I may have missed some of the gist because the voice was... Gisella's voice was very garbled. But for things that are ExCom and Liaisons, please, if we can get something out very soon, even if it's not finalized, I'm getting requests for other meetings and calls coming in quickly, and I'd like to now what I'm locked into at this point even if it changes for ALAC, thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Alan. I think that we will have our usual dinner on Saturday night. Isn't that correct Gisella? Are we...?

ALAN GREENBERG: Well, that one I was already told about. But if there's others... There are a number of other events, if we can have them out in a way that I can look at afterwards. I just was taking notes when Gisella was talking.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, excellent. So we'll just get Gisella to put them in email form and then we know and we'll all be clear on the times and dates, etc. Back to you, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: No, I think I'm finished. I think really the urgent thing at this point is just to get questions in for the various people that you're meeting, that we have the key questions set up. So again, the Board, the GAC, the GST, the Communications Team, and also start thinking about if you, Olivier, what you would like to say at the Board cocktails.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Right, okay. So I think what we'll do... If we can do this ASAP, I'm going to spend a couple of hours looking at the Board questions, which are the ones that we really need to draft as soon as possible and then take it from there. Hopefully, if we can all really put our minds together and ask those questions, put them on the Wiki quickly, and then we can move forward. We are meeting with the GAC, we are meeting with the Board... Or with the GAC Leadership, we are meeting with the Board. Let's have some meaningful conversations with them and make the best of it. Any other comments or questions?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Cheryl here, Olivier. [Just with you process the Board 00:55:06], I know I was just finding on one or other social network chat or something today while I was running around various places, as [inaudible 00:55:25] questions, at least for the Board that were being discussed. And I honestly can say that I contributed, but I don't think we were putting that to Wiki at that stage, I just didn't want those things to not be captured and not shared with your ExCom, that's all.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you Cheryl. Any other comments or questions? Okay, so now we move over to any other business. Is there any other question of comment to make? This is our last call, or our last call as the ExCom before Beijing. I wanted to thank you all for all of the work that you've done until now. I wanted to wish you good luck for all of the work that's coming up for us, and really, safe travels for everyone. I'm looking forward to seeing you all in Beijing. It will be an interesting week for us. It will no doubt be absolutely hectic, but I'm sure that it will be enjoyable. So, safe travels, thank you very much to staff for supporting us all these days and nights and 24 hours and all that, and this call is now adjourned.

[general thanks and goodbyes]

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier, are you likely to be on the ATRT call tonight?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, I will be, unfortunately. 02.00 in the morning. From 2.00 until 3.30, it's going to kill me.

ALAN GREENBERG: I understand, that's why I was asking. All right, I sent you a note about an opportunity for a Skype chat. Whenever you think you'll have time, let me know.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: We'll probably do it before the ATR call.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, or before, if you want me to do any of the reservations and stuff. Bye bye.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Goodbye everyone, safe travels.

[general goodbyes]

[End of transcript]