
GISELLA GRUBER:

Thank you Jose Arce. I would like to welcome everyone on today's LACRALO Monthly call on Monday the 25th of March at 2300 UTC. On the Spanish channel we had Jose Arce, Alfredo López, Alberto Soto, Philippe Boland, Aída Noblia, Antonio Medina Gomez, Sergion Salinas Porto, Juan Manuel Rojas, Erik Huesca, Sylvia Herlein Leite, Fatima Cambronero, Adrian Carballo, Johnny Laureano, and Humberto Carasco. On the English Channel we have Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Roosevelt King, Lance Hinds, and Jason Hynds who will be joining us shortly. We have apologies noted from Gilberto Lara, if he is not able to join us during the call. From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, and myself, Gisella Gruber. Our interpreters this evening are Veronica and Sabrina, if I could remind you all please just state your name when speaking for transcript purposes and also to allow the interpreters to identify you on the other language channel. I would also like to wish Aida very happy birthday and over to you Jose thank you.

JOSE ARCE:

Jose Arce speaking, thank you, welcome everybody to this Monthly Meeting in our region. As you know last Monday we had the LACRALO Candidates Call, LACRALO Election Call, and apparently 90 minutes were not enough, most members in the region had plenty of questions of the candidates. So, we decided to allocate the first half hour of this monthly Teleconference getting to know them a little bit better and to a Q & A session with the candidate with questions posted on the AC room last week and questions posted during this week. So, having said this we will proceed in an orderly fashion. We have some pending or outstanding questions so; I would like to give the floor to Sylvia Herlein. Sylvia I don't know what the speaking order will be, but if you can please help me, we can proceed at this point in time.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

SILVIA HERLEIN LEITE: This is Sylvia Herlein Leite, good evening. I will give the floor to Silvia Vivanco who will be coordinating the Q&A and will be giving the floor to the respondents, so, Silvia Vivanco, if you can please proceed.

SILVIA VIVANCO: This is Silvia Vivanco speaking, good afternoon everybody, I am pleased to begin with a Q&A session with the candidates to LACRALO Chair and Secretariat. I am reading questions from the Wiki page as you can see there are questions of the candidates. I will mention the person posting the question and the person of whom the question is asked. May I please ask you to be brief because we only have 30 minutes allocated to this Q&A? First of all, I have a question posted by Antonio Medina and he wants to know whether if there is going to be a new call to elections for the Chair, if that new call or extension can be taken as a democratic step and this is Silvia Vivanco speaking for the records, I believe, what he means is what happens if we have a maternity abstention as a result of this election. If the Chair and the Secretariat allow me to reply, I would say that in a democratic fashion we would proceed to a further election or a new election round because LACRALO cannot be without leadership position, I don't know if Jose or Sylvia agrees with my reply or if you have any comment on this point.

JOSE ARCE: This is Jose Arce speaking, of course Silvia I agree with what you have said, so go ahead please.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Silvia Vivanco speaking, okay. This is the question posted by Diego Acosta Bastidas and it is a question of Jose Arce. What would be the road map to diversify and why then the internet user's organization participation in the region and what roles will the higher education centers play to this and Jose Arce, if you could take the floor please.

JOSE ARCE: Jose Arce speaking, thank you Silvia. I will reply this briefly, regarding the road map we addressed that in our prior conference call for the 2013-2014TH term and one of our confusions was that many of the projected actions will depend on the result or the outcomes of the internet governance working group. Unfortunately, we still do not have these outcomes, but we expect to have them shortly and we will work along that line because ideally after the Beijing Meeting we will put in place the results or the outcomes of all the working groups, after they are drafting all these documents. On the basis of last week's call, this is my reply and of course last week's records are available.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Silvia Vivanco speaking, thank you Jose, I will now read the questions of candidates posted in the chat room during the March 18th Conference, we have a question posted by Carlos Dionoisio Aguirre of Lance. What is your proposal in relation to engagement? Silvia Vivanco speaking, how should we consider the lack of participation in many ALS's and what do you think about the sanctions that we should apply or sanctions to apply, so Lance you have the floor, go ahead please.

LANCE HINDS: LACRALO needs to not only agree but LACRALO needs to ratify and incorporate the position in operating principles that participation is a condition of continued membership, if we don't take that kind of decision we are not going to get any further than the conversation that we normally have, again this is Lance Hinds for the record, so we have to see that participation is a condition of continued membership. In terms of the lack of participation, where I come from these rules are very clear, for example if you miss 3 meetings or if you miss 5 meetings, your membership or your position thereafter can be revoked or it can be moved. We are going to have to draw a line in this stance in terms of

what it means to participate, now in terms of participation itself I think we start with small step. We start with attendance for meeting, we start from there, you can do it 1 or 2 weeks, what I said a few minutes ago in terms of how many meetings you missed or we could set down a condition that says that you are expected to attend a certain percentage of meetings that you have. Once you begin to put those types of measures simply then you could start a scale of in terms of participation, then you could start a scale of in terms of the other work that needs to be done, but let us get some of those basics first and then we could become as sophisticate as we want. In terms of participation what we need to get some basis simply, that is my input.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Silvia Vivanco speaking, thank you, I have one more question posted by Carlos Dioniso Aguirre. This is a question of both candidates, how ___ [inaudible 10:44] to the lack of participation in many ALS's and what do you think about the sanctions to apply. This is a question also of Jose and of Sylvia, so, Jose if you could take the floor please.

JOSE ARCE:

This is Jose Arce speaking, well to some extent I agree with Lance, this is something that is long running in the region, that is lack of participation, this has been ongoing for quite a while. There isn't a magical solution and I have included my view in the document I posted on the Wiki last week. We will overcome this only if we have a working group with shared interest that is fully committed to its work that can make a contribution, of course this is volunteer work, so the key is to do something that we really like and that we feel passionate about. Adrian Carballo, interrupting now.

ADRIAN CARBALLO:

This is Adrian Carballo, Hello everybody.

JOSE ARCE: Jose Arce now speaking, Adrian no problem about your interruption, welcome to the call. Jose Arce speaking. So, as I was saying only when we find these common grounds for working together will we overcome the participation issue in the region. I am convinced that we will overcome this and we will all be able to make a valuable contribution to the region that is very valuable to the region and we will work to this end, thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Silvia Vivanco speaking, thank you Jose, I will now give the floor to Sylvia Herlein so that she replies to this question regarding lack of participation and sanctions to apply.

SYLVIA HERLEIN: This is Sylvia Herlein for the records, thank you Silvia; I believe that we should start addressing the sanctions. I am a firm believer and that we do not have to sanction or punish anyone. I believe that an ALS that is not participating and whose country is being affected by that lack of participation is sort of self punishing or punishing itself. What we need to see is to determine how to get these ALS involved or engaged. We need to come up with matrix to detect the active and the inactive ALS's. I do not think we should fire or eliminate ALS's that are inactive or remove their accredited status, however; those inactive ALS's should not become an obstacle to LACRALO when we have to move forward or we have to proceed to a vote. This is not an idea of my own. This is something that we have been discussing since ___ [inaudible 14:08] so we need engagement parameters. I remember that in ___ [inaudible 14:15] that Carlos, Fatima, Sergion, myself were working together, we have plenty of material, we have made significant progress and I believe we could set up a working group to resume these initiatives and to occupy active and inactive ALS's in an up shore. I do not like to speak

about sanctions or punishment because we are all volunteers. We are all volunteering our time, but if a country is not being represented at the end of the day that country is being negatively affected. So, we need to determine how to engage ALS's. We need to come up with a solution to see what this was down to, to see what LACRALO wants, and to see what that ALS wants, why the ALS is in LACRALO and why the ALS wants to become engaged with ICANN? Only in that way will we achieve more active participation, thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Silvia Vivanco speaking, I have a question posted by Erik Huesca, it is the question of Jose Arce, in our second term how are you going to deal with learning matrix are they going to be validated? Jose go ahead please, you have the floor.

JOSE ARCE:

Jose Arce speaking, thank you Silvia, I think we have 5 minutes left and we have many questions, so I will reply in writing, I will post my reply on the Wiki later on today. So, I suggest we should continue replying the other questions because if not I will take up 6, 7, or even more minutes.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Silvia Vivanco speaking, thank you Jose. The next question is a comment rather posted by Johnny Laureano. It addresses all the candidates. He wants them to speak about the significance of a one-year plan that will have an integration or inclusive and strategic focus with measurable outcome and readable. This is sort of an Alice in Wonderland View, if you will and if I can make myself better understood by mentioning so; then I have a question posted by Carlos Dionisio Aguirre of Lance. I would like to hear what you think about these issues, that is matrix. Lance you have the floor, go ahead please.

LANCE HINDS: This is Lance Hinds for the record. These matrixes relate to what, the comment by Johnny? What do these matrixes do? What are we talking about or is it the question from Erik?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Silvia Vivanco speaking now Lance, I think this is a reply to Johnny's comment, so yes, I think it is related to Johnny's comments regarding measurable outcomes of the LACRALO Strategic Plan.

LANCE HINDS: Alright, Lance Hinds for the record again. I am not sure whether a one-year plan is workable, if I would suggest something longer and what would happen is that you would put in your strategic goals and objectives and your measurable results over that period. I do not believe that one year is enough. I think in terms of what sorts of goals that you should have, one, it is the increase in the membership of LACRALO, the education of the membership which would improve their ability to participate in the ICANN-ALAC related discussion. Those are the first goals and they are supporting activities that would come under those goals, but anything that we do should be more than one year. I do not think it will work, I think time flies too fast I am sorry. A 3-year plan for me is far more realistic and it is also important we need to have specific goals and objectives in terms of heavy work and we need to be able to measure those goals. So we need to carefully establish the objective, the expected results, and the supporting activities for the overall strategy that we would like to employ in LACRALO. Thank you Silvia.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Silvia Vivanco speaking, thank you Lance, now I have a question posted by Erik Huesca, it is a question of Sylvia Herlein. Sylvia mention the number of Latin American Countries and the percentage of countries

that participate and the percentage of the increase in these countries, just to mention some figures.

SYLVIA HERLEIN:

Sylvia Herlein now speaking, I was checking information on the internet in order to find out the number of countries if we consider Latin American and Caribbean or if we consider the countries within LACRALO. There are 33 countries in LACRALO and we have representation in 16 countries, so our representation percentage is 43% on a regional scale. I believe that we need a plan in order to incorporate at least 3 countries per year. We know that LACRALO is pursuing that goal, the goal of having representation from each country. So if we set the goal of incorporating 3 countries per year in 5-year time we would have the entire representation of the Latin American countries within ICANN, but of course this is easier said than done, we need to take concrete steps. We need to get to know the internet community in several countries where we do not have ALS's. We need to learn where and when they meet for example in ___ [inaudible 21:26] etc and just to mention idea, LACRALO should have representatives there in order to reach the user of that country so that they become acquainted with LACRALO and they are invited to join us. So, I believe we need to take concrete step and go beyond words. We have 48% representations of all countries in the region, but we have some ALS's for example in ___ [inaudible 21:57] that read 60,000 end users, we have some other ALS's that read only 100 users and some others reaching 6000. So historical data are available when we receive ALS applications and we should work in order to read that objective that Erik was mentioning with or by means of the LACRALO ALS's. We need to continue working along these

lines with real or actual data to reach everyone and come up with a plan that will enable us to reach even more end users. Thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Silvia Vivanco speaking now. Thank you Sylvia, the next question was posted by Johnny Laureano, it is the question of all the candidates. So the speaking order will be Jose, Sylvia, and Lance. Can you speak about a plan for the 2013-2014 terms? So Jose, Sylvia, and Lance in that order you have the floor. Jose, go ahead please.

JOSE ARCE:

Jose Arce speaking. I think this question has been replied with the material we posted last week regarding LACRALO's future. We have our goal for this year. We have to work with the documents of the 4 working groups in Costa Rica. We have to increase user participation and we need a measurable percentage of participation increase and we need to perform these significant tasks in our working group within ALAC and LACRALO. These are short-term goals and these are few tasks, but tasks that we are really intent on performing. I believe that if we focus on these then we would have a very good analysis for our region.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Silvia Vivanco speaking, thank you Jose, Sylvia you have the floor now.

SYLVIA HERLEIN:

This is Sylvia Herlein speaking, thank you. I think we need to focus on more communication and engagement as the focus for next year. In order to achieve that effectively it is clear that we need a strategic plan that we have all been mentioning. We are already working on this. We have the strategic planning working group coordinated by Mr. Alejandro Pisanty and we also have the strategic working group or steering committee coordinated by Mr. Rodrigo de la Parra. Dev and Fatima are representing us in the latter strategy group and they have a partial view of the region. They should have started participating in this group with a

mandate or with actual knowledge of the regions needs and to that end representative should have told them what we need and what each of their organization's accept. We still have time or still in time to achieve that and we can express our views on the draft report shared by Fatima. I believe all the fellow members should read this document. It is a very clear document written in Spanish and you should say whether you agree with that or not. Once we have this strategic plan, this plan will go or be above and beyond any officer, any person being the Chair or the Secretariat, anybody will be able to pursue and accomplish or observe his plans. I believe this plan is fundamental so that LACRALO may have continuity on our work. It is not interrupted every 2 years, thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

This is Silvia Vivanco speaking, Lance you have the floor now, go ahead please.

LANCE HINDS:

Thank you Silvia, Lance Hinds for the records. I would like to look at the internal matter because if we are talking about the LACRALO Secretariat, it is the sacred administrative perspective of how things work. I would certainly like to see the establishment of our framework for membership once and for all and how that membership is maintained. The rules pertaining to continuing membership and how you handle those members who do not attend, who do not participate. There needs to be rules and regulations certainly in my mind in terms of how that is going to work. I think we need to know what we have in LACRALO. Who is committed? Who is going to participate? Who is going to work? Because it is those who are going to work that will ensure that the plans and the strategies that are adopted to get implemented. So, I would like to see some more structure certainly in terms of membership, certainly in terms of how we continue, certainly in terms

of how we do our work, so any plan certainly on my side in terms of 13, in terms of 14 would be to really sure up the organization of framework that we have at LACRALO. Thank you Silvia.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Silvia Vivanco speaking. I have the last question; it is a question of all the candidates, posted by Alfredo Lopez. With your new government, how can we make contributions to the United Nations Mandate of briefing the digital divide or gap in our country? Jose you have the floor, go ahead please.

JOSE ARCE: Jose Arce speaking. While you were reading this question, I was recalling ___ [inaudible 29:05] conference. He was a speaker in our capacity building sessions and we address the digital gap. I believe that LACRALO will achieve this goal through a representative that is the only way in which we can do that, hence we can or we should send as much information as possible, the more information the better, so that every association can reach out to end users and we can focus on their program so that through their program they can contribute to bridging the digital gap. ___ [inaudible 29:58] is going to work together with the members of the region specifically focusing on ALS's. Thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO: This is Silvia Vivanco speaking, thank you Jose, Sylvia will have the floor.

SYLVIA HERLEIN: This is Sylvia Herlein speaking, I fully agree with Jose because this is not included in LACRALO or ICANN Policy Debate, but this is thought of debate in our organization, for example the organization that I belong to. This is not included in LACRALO activities, but maybe we could gather organizations that focus on bridging the digital gap in order to share experiences and materialize these, make these become a reality. I believe that when we speak about this motto or slogan of one internet,

one world, well that should be a guide or that should guide our actions within ICANN. We cannot have one world, one internet, if we do not spread the use of information and communication technologies. We should focus on this a little bit more and focus on actions along these lines, but that is up to the organizations within LACRALO, not all of them that are focused on these specifically.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Silvia Vivanco speaking. Lance, you have the floor now.

LANCE HINDS:

I agree with both Jose and Sylvia in terms of what they have said. I would however say to you that ICANN focus is very narrow in the first instance. It is specifically assumed in its quality deliberations and discussion that you have access to the internet at some level in the first instance. Even LACRALO's role is to participate in those discussions in the interest of its constituents in this region. So, there is no specific mandate for that, but certainly at a ALS level, there is got to be a responsibility to make sure that their constituents and others continue to make sure that ICC penetration increases access to the internet, you know that penetration has to increase as well and certainly a LACRALO just because of the nature of its constituency must look to begin to develop strategies to be able to increase that access, so they can also participate in the ICANN decision making and the creation of policy, thank you Silvia.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

This is Silvia Vivanco speaking; we have now closed or finished the Q&A session. We have read all the questions posted on the Wiki. I will now give the floor to Jose to proceed with the LACRALO Monthly Teleconference, please continue to post your comments or questions on the Wiki so that we continue with this debate, thank you.

JOSE ARCE:

This is Jose Arce speaking, thank you very much Silvia. I would like to make a point of clarification before moving forward with the Agenda regarding what we have been discussing in the AC room. There is a question and you know I work with the ___ [inaudible 34:27] group; I have been working with the group in Costa Rica. There is a question raised by Erik, so I would like to give the floor for him to make point of clarification because I answered or I gave a reply regarding a plan and the task has been fulfilled 15 or 20%, so when it comes to the plan for the period 2013-2014, well, we only have a 20% of this work accomplished, so that being the case I would not do it because otherwise it would make no sense. I would like to coordinate with these working groups, so that the working groups can finish its activity and once we have made some progress with this group and we can take into account the work of the Alejandro Pisanty's Working Group and then we will be able to plan this issue on which Lance and Sylvia agreed. This has to do with short-term planning. In the long run, we need these tasks to be completed. So I would like to say that the strategic plan in work group, the Chair of that working group is Alejandro Pisanty. I asked them why they were not moving forward with their activities and the answer was that the ___ [inaudible 36:26] it all depends on the results of the elections. So I do understand why I could never get an answer or reply from that working group. So I would like to hear something from the participants of this working group. I am always trying to contribute with my points of view and I would like to work with them so that they can finish their activities and their tasks, so just to sum up. I cannot provide a question and an answer to every question because the work of that working group is not finished yet. I do not know should I give the floor to Erik, perhaps he would like to say something about this.

ERIK HUESCA:

This is Erik speaking. Thank you very much Jose. It is my pleasure. The activity or the work of this working group is finished with the fourth analysis and in December it was agreed that we will discuss the details in the assembly together with Alberto Soto and that week when we were discussing the matrix, what we still need is to discuss or include that part in document, but the document and the work itself is already finished. When you participated the work was presented by Alejandro and by the rest of the members of the group in a meeting and Alberto was in charge of presenting that work. It is easy when you have a working plan to work, but I believe that you as a candidate for the Chair, you need to take into account the matrix on the objective and they need to be measurable because we all need to know about your work that is my answer to your comment regarding the working plan that's all.

JOSE ARCE:

This is Jose Arce speaking for the records. Thank you very much Erik for clarifying this point. Before giving the floor to Alberto, I would like to say that the Secretariat and the Chair have never received the finest former work of the working group. So, we would like to have that work during these days. Alberto please you have the floor, go ahead.

ALBERTO SOTO:

This is Alberto Soto for the record. Unfortunately, I do not agree with Erik at all. Some days ago I gave up the group because they were not making any progress at all. In December after our last LACRALO Monthly Call, we talked about these working groups and we had a conference called so that specifically devoted to that working group and we spoke about the fact that they was a calendar meeting, I proposed the creation of a calendar or schedule, Alejandro Pisanty asked me to send that schedule by email. He asked me to correct the schedule. I posted

on the Wiki and it was never fulfilled. Since nothing was being fulfilled, well, I took the fourth analysis because the fourth analysis is just a minute part of these strategic planning and I agreed is the confrontation matrix and that is the only thing we have. As to this confrontation matrix, in terms of strategic planning we still need to work on all the conclusions derived from this confrontation matrix and this is the first matrix existing, there is nothing else. It was me the one doing it. So it might be wrong, but nobody has participated and that is why I gave up the group. The work is not finished, not even 20%, we still need to work, we need to develop. We still need to do and work a lot, if we had finished with that and if we had fulfilled the first schedule before the Beijing Meeting, well that might be presented during the Beijing Meeting. If you want I may send you the schedule to the ___ [inaudible 41:22] that was my intention. Thank you very much, that's it.

JOSE ARCE:

Jose Arce speaking, thank you very much Alberto. Before moving forward with the Agenda, is there any comment just to close this item. Jose Arce speaking, okay, now let's discuss item #5. I feel Lance, you have the hands up, Lance would you like to take the floor, please.

LANCE HINDS:

Lance Hinds for the record, not to spend too long on this, but with the creation of the working groups were there specific goals and tasks that would have been established and they would have been sent back to the President and the Secretariat, I am just wondering.

JOSE ARCE:

This is Jose Arce speaking for the records. Let me see if I have understood your question, the methodology of the working groups is the genuine methodology and the Secretariat and the Chair, apart from being members of this working groups and contributing to them, we

were just the links to present the work to the region and then to start up the plans and the resource.

LANCE HINDS: Okay.

JOSE ARCE: Once the tasks are finished by the working group, that is also, I do not Lance what you mean by saying some task for the Chair and the Secretariat.

LANCE HINDS: Sorry, no that is not what I meant. I just wondered if this points when the working group was created, whether the work program with specific targets would have ___ [inaudible 43:56] to you and Sylvia before they have been forwarded. So I just wondered if that was done, that was the only thing, it was not for you to do the work. I just wondered, if it was part of the process of establishing the working group, whether there was any kind of target or specific activity identified at that time and submitted to you or it was submitted to LACRALO as a whole.

JOSE ARCE: This is Jose Arce speaking. Yes Lance at that time when the working groups were created in Costa Rica I sent the steps to follow to each of the working group and the members of those working groups will manifest or show their will to participate and we assigned coordinators that evaluated these proposals of steps to follow and the coordinator of each working group had a meeting with ALAC a kind of coordinators to bring somehow and then each of the working group trusted their own specific and general objective and they started working on them. So each working group had their own possibility of having their own objective, so nobody obliges them to set their objective and each working group has the availability to create and have their own objective as they might believe it was better for them, so I think we are

talking about point or item #7 on the agenda. We will discuss it later. So this is Jose Arce speaking again. Is there any other comment or questions, if not I would like to move forward with the agenda. Now, we will ask Fatima and Dev, they will have 5 minutes to provide us with summary. They send their work for consultation to the regions though, now I would like them to speak about the strategic plan in working group.

FATIMA CAMBRONERO:

Fatima speaking. Jose, thank you very much. This is Fatima for the record I have just posted on the AC room the link to the ___ [inaudible 47:18] for our strategic planning. Before getting into detail, I would like to make a comment because I have heard the comment and I think there is still confusion among the working group. I would like you to remember that this internal LACRALO working group created in Costa Rico meeting, Jose said before together he will have collaboration as the facilitator, we had for Group 3 the communication translation governance and strategic planning working group. These are internal working group to evaluate or assess lack of value at work. That's why I was commenting Erik on the AC room analysis for these strategic planning working groups is a forth analysis belonging to the whole LACRALO region. This is not just for the secretariat of the chair or just to a small group, this is an assessment to see how LACRALO is working as a whole and I would like to make this clarification once again because we also have the lack of strategy working group for the Latin American and Caribbean region and this is a working group created by ICANN and this is within the objective of ICANN provided by Fadi Chehadé's the new CEO the idea is to on the regions that are part of ICANN, so we already know that we have the African strategy and this is being implemented.

We had some events with good results and these working group on which we are working, this is the lack of strategy and this is an ICANN working group for the region. In this working group, there are members of the Latin American and Caribbean region participating and we belong to the different communities within ICANN, that's why this group led by Rodrigo de la Parra., we are the representatives of LACRALO within this working group. We need to work as a ____ [inaudible 49:39] that is what we have been doing up to now, we report after each call or each meeting the activities of this working group. As I said before in an email sent to the list, there was face-to-face meeting held in Montevideo in which many members of the group participated, some members participated remotely and after these meetings, we have trusted the first trust document of the lack of strategy for Latin-American and the Caribbean region. What we did here is to determine the mission ambition of these strategies for our region and if you are now looking at the document we had these questions. We are asking what our objectives of the region were and the second question that we took into account was why ICANN should consider our needs or goals in its strategic plan. After considering these two questions, we drafted a detailed list of points and there were some comments for example the one by Alberto who switches that the mission should be posted as a question and not as a statement and we also had a call, taking into account that this is the draft document and that it is open for consultation and comment March 31st, we are tuning up this document, so we will be receiving all the comments, suggestions and revelations that might be required. After drafting the ____ [inaudible 51:33], the work was divided into four areas of interest as you can see from the document, we have the political aspect, capacity building

operations, and economic aspects. Once those four areas were determined, these key areas were determined, for each of these key areas, we drafted the respective strategic objective. After drafting the objective, we worked on the indicator, that is to say we asked ourselves, how we could measure all the objectives and their fulfillment and I would like to say that the regional strategy has a duration of three years and the idea is to implement and measure the objective during the first year and to see we can fulfill the objective during the first year, then we drafted a strategic approach and these are concrete actions to see how we will do within each area. On the document, you will see this in detail, but I would like to highlight that we are focusing on the cooperation and contribution among ICANN and different organizations and regional organizations and we need to take into account what is being done in order to avoid the duplication efforts, we are also focusing on capacity building on average we are trying to strengthen the DNS industry in our region to have greater participation of political holders within ICANN coming from our region, we also need to have the participation of the academia and university, we want the university to go to ICANN and ICANN go to the universities. So, I would like you to read this document and let us know your comments about these points or aspect. Once we have finished with all these documents, that were aligned with the strategic matrix at the end of the document, we therefore have four hallmarks or points that are important for these strategic planning. These are the strategic objective for the ICANN strategic planning, therefore, they have to deal with an internet ecosystem, the DNS industry, the policies, and so on, so these are taking into account within these areas and what we did was assembled or was put into these main ICANN strategic plan and we need to take into our account that we are

focused on ICANN mission ___[inaudible 54:41] our strategy cannot ask ICANN to take care of Data Escrow or IP because that is not within ICANN's mission. Dev and I within this working group were focusing on that so I would like to thank Dev and Alberto for the material they have sent me, so I know and I have the information that was used in this working group because that information was used to address our needs and for our region.

Fatima speaking again, so please if I am forgetting anything I would like them to say or complement my speech. Please take your time to review this document, the consultation or comment or reviews is open until March 31st in Beijing we will have this questioned, this will not be formal presentation, the formal presentation will be later on, there will be an open meeting, I don't remember the date, but we will be sharing this information with people participating in Beijing and please let us know your comments because we are relay upon and we take your comments to the working group. Thank you very much.

SYLVIA HERLEIN LEITE:

This is Sylvia Herlein Leite. Jose has stopped. So thank you very much to Fatima for your comment. I had the opportunity to read the report and you need to read it more than once, it is a very interesting work and we need to collaborate with them because it is a wonderful work. Now, we will discuss item six ___ [inaudible 57:02] of the application of ILS 177. I will post the link of the Wiki page, I have opened the comment for the whole community to express about these incorporation of this ALS and this is a technology education development investigation or research on communication from Parkway, you can post your comments, there are just a few comments, one from Alberto, those comments will be open till March 30th, so you have five days to provide your comments or post

your comments. Is there any comment or remark about this item 6 on the agenda? Jose Arce, you have the floor, go ahead please.

Sylvia speaking, Jose Arce is typing on the chat. Sylvia speaking, Jose, we cannot hear you, now we do, go ahead please.

JOSE ARCE: This is Jose Arce speaking. Thank you very much Sylvia. I would like to add something about what you mentioned regarding the ALS. Sylvia got in touch with one of the members of this association, but I didn't know if she has got the answer.

SYLVIA HERLEIN LEITE: Sylvia speaking, unfortunately I have no reply.

JOSE ARCE: Jose Arce speaking. Well, this is not a minor detail. We were talking about inviting people to be part of our region and to have direct contact with them, so I see Natalia has her hand up on the 8th row. Natalia, would you like to take the floor?

NATALIA ENCISO: This is Natalia Enciso speaking. Hello, can you hear me? This is Natalia for the record. I would like to say that I know some of the members belonging to that ALS ___ [inaudible 59:58]. She is the one sending the application. She is now in Brazil, in Curitiba and she has changed her cell phone number because I left her a message for her to contact you and provide further information, so I volunteer if you want to contact her to give her a message to her or to any other member of the ALS. This is an ALS working specially with open source and free ___ [inaudible 1:00:34] and they are now trying to open a chapter here. That's all, thank you very much.

JOSE ARCE: Jose Arce speaking. Thank you very much Natalia. Alberto, would you like to take the floor?

ALBERTO SOTO: This is Alberto Soto speaking. Yes, I contacted them through the Wiki long time ago and they answered me quickly, they answered some of the questions I made and I made to realize that the work did not qualify for ALS because we are link between ICANN and Internet, and users. I told them what an Internet and user was, the work that we do and the work we have licensed, and what they did, their work was not enough to become an ALS, but I was telling that they might propose what they would like to do so that they could become an ALS.

SYLVIA HERLEIN LEITE: Sylvia speaking. Yes, Alberto that is recorded on the Wiki, so those who would like to make further comments or questions, please post your comments on the Wiki taking into the account the link I have posted on the AC room. Thank you very much Jose.

JOSE ARCE: Jose Arce speaking. Once again, I would like to highlight that Sylvia opened the Wiki on February 19th, so we will give the deadline would be March 31st. We will have about to decide whether they will become a member or because discussing what they would like to do would make no sense. If the region does not build or manifest, or express your opinion positive or negative opinion. We will ask ALAC 3 to add document or we will issue a document expressing this and that's it. Now, we will discuss the following item on the agenda. So, Sylvia, you have the floor.

SYLVIA HERLEIN LEITE: This is Sylvia speaking. Now we have item 7 the LACRALO working group. I asked the coordinators of these working groups if they wanted to make any comment and Humberto Carasco and Erik Huesca would like to take the floor to speak about their working group. Humberto, you have the floor.

-
- HUMBERTO CARASCO: Humberto speaking. Sylvia, can you hear me?
- SYLVIA HERLEIN LEITE: Sylvia speaking, yes we hear you, go ahead please.
- HUMBERTO CARASCO: This is Humberto speaking for the record. Thank you very much for giving me the floor. I would like to tell you that today we sent the final report of the translation working group, I would like to apologize because we have sent the report during January, we are on in March, but we have finished our work and that is published on the Wiki. We would like to receive comment in case you have comments and that's my comment. Thank you very much. Sorry Jose, I would like to interrupt you by saying that I would like to thank all the members of the working group, the ones participating, Sylvia, Juan, Dev, and if I am forgetting someone please I apologize.
- JOSE ARCE: Sylvia, this is Jose Arce speaking, may I have the floor, Sylvia?
- SYLVIA: Sure, Jose.
- JOSE ARCE: Jose Arce speaking. Thank you very much Humberto. I have been participating in this translation working group. We had several discussions. It was hard to work with you, but you made a great work, so congratulations, I would like to congratulate you once again as I did when you sent the first draft, so ___[inaudible 1:05:36] sent his work final report a long time ago, so the results will be implemented or will be seen in the short run. So Humberto, thank you very much for taking this five minutes to give us an update about your working group.
- SYLVIA HERLEIN LEITE: Sylvia speaking. Thank you very much Jose. I would like to say that the communication working groups have finished with their report and the report is posted on the Wiki for comments. Erik has dropped, so while
-

he is reconnected, we might go to item 8 where the ALAC members will have some minutes to speak or make some comments and Natalia Enciso would like to take the floor.

NATALIA ENCISO:

This is Natalia for the record. I would like to remind you that tomorrow we have the ALAC monthly call and we will discuss the amendment of the ALAC rules of procedure. We have the Wiki page where you can post your comment. No major changes will be accepted or amendments will be accepted because the working groups have already been working but comments of course will be accepted. After the call, we will start with the voting so you can express your points.

SYLVIA HERLEIN LEITE:

This is Sylvia Herlein Leite speaking. Erik, are you on the call? Sylvia speaking, are there any other comments regarding for working group? We will now go in back into item 7. Any comments about this working group? So, seeing no questions or comments, we will go to item #9 other issues or other business. Sergion Salinas Porto has requested the floor, so Sergion you have the floor.

SERGION SALINAS PORTO:

For the record, this is Sergion Salinas Porto, thank you very much Sylvia and thank you Jose for letting me ___[inaudible 1:08:24] I would like to publicly thank Natalia for their great and excellent work when she sent the report that it is now being discussed in ALAC regarding the new roles of procedure and actually this is what was missing, she is sending reports about ALAC activities but I am concerned about the fact that we do not have the reports by ALAC members. I am concerned about dot Patagonia, dot CBA, and dot Amazon, we didn't have any favorable answer by ALAC and this is because we have expressed ourselves those coming from places where we start affected by dot Patagonia and dot

Amazon. We have publicly expressed our views and I think that these have been taken flag to move forward and our point of view we are not reflected in the working group and this allowed me to say something else, during a long time during all these months after having left ALAC, I insist that it is necessary to ask about the issues being discussed in ALAC and this is not being done and I am concerned about this. I am concerned about the lack of advice requested because decisions are made unilaterally, so that's why I asked Dev and Natalia and Natalia has done that during her term she has worked by asking advice to the ___[inaudible 1:10:44], so I ask you to check these as a custom that each item being discussed in ALAC ___[inaudible 1:10:54] just to take into account the representative of the regions are not autonomous representative, they are representative and they need the regions to express, they need to work along those lines, they cannot work alone, they cannot work just with their unilateral ideas taken into account by the representatives, that is on that position. Thank you very much. Dev, you have the floor.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. Well just a comment on agenda item change but anyway until Sergio 1 I have been monitoring the LACRALO list, I do monitor the LACRALO list, and the since all of the ALAC announcement being in list, I have been monitoring the list whenever the announcement ___ [inaudible 01:12:04] on the ALAC announce to see if there has been any comments from LACRALO on these topics and I am sure ___ [inaudible 1:12:15]. So, I am taking it a little slower, but I think because everybody receives the ALAC announce mailing list emails but this not I think we could also formally forward the ALAC announce and we since then received the announcements twice and see if there is any comments or

suggestions on this. With regards to the detail of the objections process, but the ALAC ability to file objections, the review group had a lot of work between mid January when we ___ [inaudible 01:13:04] comments on objection and our deadline of until a decision on February, we make decision on these comments. Now the comments we have received, a single comment was received from someone from Brazil regarding Patagonia and a single comment was also received on dot Amazon also from the same person from Brazil and this was also posted on the Wiki and calls for comments from Olivier, a second call for comments was received and because those were ___ [inaudible 01:13:53] one comment up to the early February, there were some more comments received which is good and then what we had to then do is look at all of the applications for all the comments besides whether ___ [inaudible 1:14:11] objection grounds or community objection grounds. In regards to CBA, we do felt that because the letter CBA can represent acronyms for many different organizations so I felt that it did not any limited public interest or community objection grounds. Therefore decision was not to file an objection. In regards to Amazon and to Patagonia, several working groups you could focus on asking questions of, like is there such a thing as an Amazon community and so forth, but ultimately what we had to do with the limited number of comments received and as we look forward to make a decision was that after deciding there was no public interest concerns regarding Amazon and Patagonia, we would end looking at whether there were community objection grounds concerned. As we have known, there were four objection ground concerns, four criteria, one is community and I will post a link to this item. Okay, I have posted a link. There are four criteria for community objection grounds or four tests, and the four

tests were community, substantial opposition, targeting, and achievements. Now, each of those was taken from the applicant guidebook and they are several factors that must be satisfied in order for those criteria to be satisfied and one of the important things to do was that the objective has to meet all four tests in the standards for the objection to prevail. So, what for each of the review group numbers we tabulated, for each of the factors of the four criteria, whether it passed or didn't pass or unknown and it shows for Amazon the detriment criterion was not passed and there was not enough information to make a good decision as to what the detriment ___ [inaudible 01:17: 08] and could be sustained and therefore decision was then taken with that so it was proceeded with drafting of an objection statement on Amazon. In regards to dot Patagonia, the tabulation showed that with most we give good numbers, did not pass the targeting and the detriment criterion, and based on the information of the comments received and the information we had, and therefore on that determination, we will decide it not to file objection statements regarding Patagonia. In terms of the I should also mention unfortunately ___ [inaudible 01:17:55] who is the LACRALO selected member to be on the review group apparently was not able to participate in the review group as such, so ___ [inaudible 1:18:18] to make a contribution of whether the four factors are met, he stepped down and given the timeframe for which a new member has to be on review because of the strict conflict of interest and so forth, you know because I have to submit a conflict of interest statement or statement of interest identify any essential conflict of interest and then ___ [inaudible 1:19:00] to be on the review group. Given that there was no time really to have a new member from LACRALO ___ [inaudible 01:19: 21] review group. I hope I have

summarized these all information to ensure that you understand it, I could of course be happy to continue the conversation offline.

SYLVIA HERLEIN LEITE: This is Sylvia Herlein speaking, Fatima, you have the floor, go ahead please. Sylvia interrupting, Fatima one second please

FATIMA CAMBRONERO: Okay, Fatima speaking. I have a general remark; I do not intend to defend anyone because everybody is responsible for their own actions. I agree with Sergio's comment on the report filed by our representatives within ICANN, this goes hand in hand with accountability and transparency for which we have always fought in LACRALO. However, as a member of LACRALO, in my capacity as a LACRALO member and not being an officer, I attend ALAC monthly teleconferences, they are free and open to anyone willing to participate, we do receive the emails, the invitations, we have simultaneous interpretation into Spanish something that not every region has and however I see that every month it is always the same people participating, we do not see as many people from LACRALO as to be there participating, so it is up to everybody or each and every one of us to find out about what is happening and participate. When it comes to the Latin American and Caribbean strategy, well we received one comment, we need feedback, we need comments and input because without the region's opinion, we cannot move forward and we cannot grow as a region, so I invite you to participate, we will have ALAC's monthly call tomorrow, we will have interpretation into Spanish, and we will address the rules of procedures that will affect us as a LACRALO.

SYLVIA HERLEIN LEITE: Sylvia Herlein speaking, Sergio, you have one minute please.

SERGION SALINAS PORTO: Sergion Salinas Porto for the record, I want to thank Fatima, it seems that we have agreed to complement each other but I fully agree with her position. At times because of working commitments, we cannot participate in the ALAC meeting but we expect our representative to provide input, maybe they cannot or they will not send the email with the agenda because we are already familiar with the agenda, but maybe if they are familiar with the topic, they can come up with an explanation of the discussion or debate. I would like to reply to Dev. Dev, okay, what you have said is true, however, is that you have heard me put this forth during the ALAC meeting held in Canada when we changed offices, I expressed my views regarding facts and not emotions and Patagonia is a trade brand and I explained that in your chat and Patagonia was being represented by a member of the Patagonia company more than anything and we do not need millions and millions of representatives because on the other side or on the other end we have only one applicant that is Patagonia the company that was my comment. Thank you.

SYLVIA HERLEIN LEITE: Olivier, you have the floor now, go ahead please.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Sylvia, it's Olivier for the transcript, actually ___ [inaudible 1:23:54] so I will defer to Jose.

SYLVIA HERLEIN LEITE: This is Sylvia Herlein speaking. No Olivier, go ahead please, Jose will have a closing remark.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you very much Sylvia it is Olivier Crépin-Leblond for the transcript records. I was just trying to join my friend and colleague, Sergion, to basically say that the ALAC calls are open, they are open to everyone and I would absolutely welcome non-ALAC people to attend

the call when you come down to speaking during the call, you should give preference first in the order of speaking to ALAC members, but there are many occasions when I invite everyone to comment as well, so I would be absolutely delighted to see more people ALAC'S members on the call, that would be really great. I really want this whole organization to work from the top all the way to the edges of the organization and I think that the ALAC members themselves are starting to understand the amount of responsibility that they are taking on you when they become ALAC members, I am glad that many are taking on a lot of responsibility, I like the information and I think this is really looked down to information to reach the edges and to get everyone involved including all of the ___[inaudible 01:25:42] members about the issues that we are faced with because they are sometimes some very serious issues which will affect internet users worldwide and my great concern often is that the internet users worldwide don't really have that much of a say in ___[inaudible 1:25:56]. That's all, thank you.

SYLVIA HERLEIN LEITE:

Sylvia Herlein speaking. Thank you Olivier. Jose, you have the floor now.

JOSE ARCE:

Jose Arce speaking. I will now be in-charge of the closing remark and regarding the elections; there is something I want to highlight. Many people have been working very hard in our region and of course they are invited to participate. Alberto Soto has been working very well in the region, he would make a wonderful chair, Juan Manuel Rojas, Humberto Carasco, Fatima also, so in short, there are many people that have been working very hard within our region and I think the region's future is really bright in as much as we can all work together. I would like to send the staff for putting up with this call, I thank the interpreters, I thank Olivier, I thank the participants on the English and

on the Spanish channel. Good evening and we will keep in touch.
Goodbye.

SYLVIA HERLEIN LEITE: This is Sylvia Herlein speaking. Thank you everybody, goodbye.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Silvia Vivanco speaking, thank you everybody, goodbye.

Thanks everyone and thanks for the interpreters again.

You are welcome Dev.

[End of Transcript]