

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I just want to start a conversation on what we think we'll want, what we actually have ready access to and what we might need to access and I would assume preferably locally – because as Heidi's pointed out in an email to a few of us, from very shortly on anything that would be needed to be taken that isn't locally accessed would need to be carried in hand luggage and I'm sure that's something most of us would be very keen to avoid. But we'll just wait till Maureen gets on and we'll get going.

Edmon, there's a few Q&A bits to you wearing your normal work hat as opposed to your APRALO one. So I don't know if you want those in-camera or not – that's your call. We can stop recording and ask people to go into Chatham House rules if you feel you need to talk about your interactions with ICANN in a full, frank, and fearless way just let us know. [laughing]

EDMON CHUNG: No, I think we're fine. From my point of view I don't see anything that I won't be willing to put on record.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay, not a problem, I'm just being flexible, my dear. What was that, Gisella?

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry, just a quick update that we've tried both Maureen's numbers and both are busy so we're not getting through. I think maybe we should start-

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yes, we'll just get going and if the telecommunication gremlins leave and the good luck fairies arrive we'll get her into the call at some point in time. So right now we'll just note her as an apology under technical difficulties and hope that she can join us.

Right, okay, well it's a small group but it's a group particularly with Pavan and Edmon and to a lesser extent I suppose myself, but also the staff – we've sort of been there, done that and got the T-shirt on quite literally for a number of these types of events. But we do want the Beijing APRALO General Assembly to stand out particularly for the newer At-Large Structures and we have got a few of them that I trust, Pavan, are amongst those that are coming along; but also to sort of resuscitate the energy and the enthusiasm for the existing ones because some of us are getting a bit moldy and old I think and probably need a bit of a shake-up and a good reason for getting back into the thrust and parry of more regular policy development and commentary.

Now, we've talked to date about you know, obviously some outreach material. Heidi's sent us lists of the hard copy stuff and I think, Pavan, you and Holly and a couple of others had checked through and cleared an update of the pamphlet. So unless someone has anything new that they want to bring to the table on that one we'll just do a brief overview of those sorts of things then we really need to talk about the various events, the outreach events, etc., etc. – the recognition that we will be

asking people to contribute time and energy to our own outreach during the ICANN meeting and discuss what we've been referring to as "bling" up until now which would be unique identifiers, rewards, attraction pieces, whatever all of you can come up with; and that is both cost effective and nice and cheap. I don't mean cheap and nasty but not unreasonably costed, because anything that's going to be of any particular expense we're very likely to have to go out and find specific sponsorship for, which may not be impossible but obviously we would need to work very closely with anyone who's doing existing sponsorship – Edmon, we're pointing and looking at you at this time – for any of our activities before that because we don't want things to be competing in any way, shape, or form.

So that's the purpose of the call. My internet is clicking in and out again; before it disappeared and helpfully reappeared. I saw listed in the summary minutes, which I unfortunately no longer see a whole pile of – oh, there we go, it suddenly arrived – cold, hard facts on how many brochures and pieces of material are in existence in both English and I'm assuming Chinese. Heidi, is that correct?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Correct, Cheryl, this is Heidi. Yes, would you like me to just go over-

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Please. I think that would be useful. It'll also give Maureen who's managed to be dragged into the meeting via the mysteries of telecommunication [leaving] the lines to sort of settle in and get herself organized. Over to you, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, thank you Cheryl, this is Heidi. Just to go over the types of documents or promotional brochures and guides that we're going to be sending to Beijing for APRALO – we have two *Beginner's Guides*. The first one is for At-Large – that we're going to be having 150 in Chinese, English and French. There's the *Beginner's Guide to ICANN* – again, 150 in Chinese, English and French. The At-Large brochures will have 50 in Arabic, 100 in Chinese, 100 in English and 50 in French, Russian, and Spanish. APRALO brochures, we're aiming to have 200 in Chinese and English. We need to print some more of those, and then 150 each in AFRALO, EURALO, NARALO, the other RALO brochures. So that's what we have for the brochures and the *Guides*. Thanks, Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay, terrific. Thank you very much for that, Heidi – Cheryl here for the transcript record. Can I ask, and Maureen, you may be able to answer it but I'd also suggest, Pavan, you need to consider this as well – we're planning on using those items exactly where? As I understood it there was going to be similar to what the NARALO group did in Toronto, a booth that may in fact be shared by some other ICANN something-or-other or not that is manned during breaks and things. Is that the only place that we're planning on using those? Just jump right in and identify yourselves.

PAVAN BUDHRANI: Pavan here. I think yeah, during the breaks we could have some of the brochures over there but I think more to do with when we're having the

events, like the Assembly or other events we could, I could carry some with me and then probably see, talk to some people and I can probably just hand it to them over there as well.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay, in which case with those numbers are what those numbers are, we would need to work out are we keeping a certain amount on the side for one thing or the other. Maureen, over to you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, I was just going to say we could do the APRALO brochures like sprinkled around the display area at the Showcase and of course we've got those meetings of the Newcomers' sessions – we could definitely use some to distribute them there as well, the Newcomers' Session on Sunday. And then the ICANN and At-Large... Oh no, the At-Large ones you're going to do, [Dan], aren't you? The ALAC's doing the At-Large. Yeah, the APRALO Roundtable, definitely.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: As I hear what's being said the paperwork that will be shipped over by ICANN, and that is what that is, will need to focus on having particularly the APRALO ones available and basically anything that's in Chinese I would suspect as well very much available for our Showcase event and stationed around the various display areas and tables. But we will be using some of the others, first of all in the intro opportunities – they would be with the Newcomers' event and of course with Fellowship.

Now, the traditional Fellowship when I was more involved with it did have a little time devoted to usually the Chair of the ALAC to come and do a show-and-tell, and some of these *Beginner's Guides* or introductions to the RALOs and At-Large were traditionally taken along to those presentations and distributed to the people who are there. I think that's a valid exercise but I certainly wouldn't be overly concerned if by the time we got to that that morning, I mean if we were all out of brochures that wouldn't be a bad thing. I think as long as we get them distributed their purpose in outreach is done.

Heidi is asking me, putting on my NomCom hat for a moment, will we need any brochures for the NomCom outreach? That's a damnably good question. Every one of these has a soft copy equivalent somewhere on our web space or Wiki, doesn't it Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Correct, I'll put that in the chat right now. It's on the Outreach Workspace.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Terrific. What I would suggest is two things: we make sure that all the access points to those materials Heidi will be putting into this chat definitely go into our APRALO folder or our APRALO folder for the Beijing Dropbox; but I'd also ask you if you'd be so kind, Heidi, as to head those over for Joette's notice because what we will do is link those in our (inaudible) for any of them that come from any of the regions to be linked in whatever way works on the NomCom side.

The NomCom will be doing a work group, a subcommittee of NomCom which is the Outreach Subcommittee – we'll in fact be holding a meeting, just an ordinary business meeting planning and propping and trying to talk through what they're doing and how they're doing it, and how they can perhaps make it more effective in Beijing. But as I'm involved in that activity it's my plan, and I believe that's how Joette will be doing it to make that a public and open meeting. So I'd certainly be putting that out at the meeting if there was any left over at the time, and right now, Heidi, you might need to check with Joette but I'm not sure exactly what day that's on. Then we might want to field a couple of brochures but I'm really keen of the APRALO use of these resources above the NomCom (inaudible).

With Pavan and Maureen, I've seen chitter chatter about ALS members sort of signing up on a roster to do the coffee, well I don't mean do the coffee as in serving coffee but I mean do outreach duty during coffee breaks or mid-afternoon, mid-morning breaks and lunchtime, etc. Do you think other than these pieces of printed material you would envisage anything else because we now need to look at what else we might need.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Cheryl, it's Maureen here. I think that Heidi has mentioned the Newcomer's Lounge and I know that that gets pretty much used by the Fellowship-ers, and I guess for ALSes that would be quite good. But I would [think] if it would be good, I mean there's 20 or nearly 30 ALSes from APRALO going to be there and I just sort of wondered if they might be able to have some... We probably will find a place when we get

there that they can actually (inaudible) coffee and just to talk about what it is that they've come up against during the week and what's been interesting for them, what's been tough for them and saying this over a cup of coffee.

But for most of them, of course there are the *Beginner's Guides* and they're probably the ones who will be doing most of the reading. We'll be the ones who will be, I hope, the others of us will be there to sort of help them along I'm supposing.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay, alright. If I could just... Do you envisage any other opportunities for outreach where we would need specific promotional items to be organized?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Um... Nothing that sort of comes up at the moment. Nothing that's jumped up at me.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay. We seem to have the opportunity for handing stuff out at appropriate times at key parts of the meeting agenda, some of which are our parts of the meeting agenda and some [are broader] – and again, we're talking this print material. We have opportunities for outreach during breaks which will allow a little talk and interaction and again, we're looking at this print material. I guess what I'm asking you specifically to think about is, is there something other than this print material that we can classify as promotional items that we might need?

Some of them may exist in the ICANN world. For example, Heidi, I don't know what's the current state on ICANN pens, for example? What ICANN bling is about at the moment?

HEIDI ULLRICH: [laughing] Okay, this is Heidi.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Oh, that would be interesting.

HEIDI ULLRICH: For pens, years ago you may remember that there were IDN pens but I don't think that there are any at the moment. I can certainly go ask but you may decide, depending on the funds available to have your own printed, your own set of pens for giving out made.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Again, I don't think that there are any other types of T-shirts or polo shirts available at the moment. I know there are lots of other documents that are going to be sent but nothing that you would call bling.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay. What's the status of thumb drives or whatever people call those things these days?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Again, I don't believe that there are any we're giving away. There may be some available but I would have to check that, or again, we could order them.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay. Well they are well-known.

MAUREEN HILYARD: You know, I think-

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Go ahead, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Sorry, Cheryl. I was just going to say that during the Showcase is a really good time for distributing anything APRALO, and I think sort of like we've been, like amongst some specific people we've just been thinking of sort of like little, little things to give away from our end of things. But I think things like pens... I mean I just love the little pocket that I got from my phone which was from Cisco I think at Toronto but I know what you mean. It would be something that's memorabilia that really does remind them who the hosts are and what we do. So I think if we're going to give pens out it would be really nice if they had APRALO on them but how much would they cost?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Well that of course is the very next question, and more importantly it would be far more effective to get them locally produced than it would be to have them done in the US and carried over by people – that seems a bit silly to me.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: So we probably need to call on the expertise that would be locally. Jack's not on the call, is he, Gisella?

GISELLA GRUBER: Gisella here. No, Cheryl, he's not on the call.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay, that's unfortunate because obviously Jack was promoted by Hong to be a key local contact but we can obviously follow up with email and list discussion as well. So let me see if I've got where we're up to and then I really want to hear about any bits that we might need to go elsewhere to get. Paperwork seems to be fine, we can deal with that. If there's any ICANN-ish type things that are available and can be used we'll be more than happy to distribute them on behalf of ICANN; and I'd obviously assume the same would go on the NomCom because we need to put people from the region through this year's NomCom process. It would be wise to have some of the little business cards that say "Apply Now or Put Someone Into Apply" – that's a simple enough thing.

The concept of having a pen for example that is ours, things that we see general public always interested in are pens and thumb drives. So pens are something that we may want to look at. Heidi certainly would be able to do a very quick costing – in fact, she’s already pushing material to me right now. Pens would be translucent barrels filled with trim (inaudible) refills, various barrel colors. We could have red then because red is our APRALO color – all this sort of thing would probably come in at around \$500 and that’s all very good. But I guess we would be poor organizers if we didn’t think what the cost would be to get those locally produced and I think we need to look at that as well.

The concept of a little badge is something that I also wanted to raise. We’ve had an APRALO button made in the past. Heidi or Gisella or Silvia, do you know are there any of those left or did they all get distributed or what’s the story with those?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Cheryl, this is Heidi. We do have a lot of the 10-year Anniversary of the ALAC, we have the 5-year Anniversary of the RALOs so we can bring those. Again, they’re not specific to APRALO.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Okay, so there isn’t a specific APRALO one but those others can be given. They’re quite good booth giveaways, I think that’s quite reasonable. I wonder, Maureen, how you would feel if we produced locally a very specific APRALO logo’d, APRALO in Beijing in some way logo’d badge in the most cost effective way possible and at least distributing that to all of the ALS representatives, those of us who are

from the region who are in attendance but also anyone who's come to your event, the Showcase event. Would that be something that you think would work?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Cheryl, this is Maureen. Yeah, I think that would be fabulous. I think that yeah, having that would just sort of like identify them as being specifically APRALO. Also like I mean your mentioning of the red – I would also like to probably make mention to the ALSes before they arrive that they bring something to wear that is red. It's not like a uniform, not a T-shirt or something but it might be something red that's significant to their culture or something like that so that we keep in the red theme for APRALO.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Maureen, Cheryl here. I think if I can leave that to your and Pavan's capable hands as he's busy contacting people and you're working on that. I won't have any problem getting something red out of my wardrobe. I will be obviously [keening] red as my color for when [Rome attacks] so that might be an issue, but yeah, I think asking people if at all possible to have something red in their wardrobe for wearing on the APRALO Showcase day is quite a good thing.

Can I ask you all if you come up with other promotional items that you avoid red lanyards? The Nominating Committee already use red lanyards and so unfortunately we would need to avoid what would be a very simple thing, and like we had the 10-Year Anniversary lanyard printed it would probably have been easy to have an APRALO in Beijing

one done. But that would be a little confusing seeing as how there is already a tradition of many years' NomComs wearing red lanyards. So unfortunately we'll have to avoid that.

Can I just take us back to part of the agenda that I have absolutely ignored, and that's to grill Edmon? And I want to grill him on this first because then other questions come out later; for example, if we want to get badges and pens made, who do we try and sweet talk so they will pick up the bill? So Edmon, you've already said that .asia would be keen to be a key sponsor for the Showcase event. Can we ask exactly what that means and how [feeling great] is ICANN making you where your commitments are being dragged in how many directions? Because we don't want to kill our cow; we want to keep it well-fed and nurtured.

EDMON CHUNG:

Thank you. So I guess a few things – one is we're also trying to figure out what exactly we need to do. When I made the commitment it was mainly on supporting the Showcase to make sure that we have drinks and refreshment and the venue available for it nicely, and we could also invite the larger community to come by. That is certainly, that wouldn't be a problem at all. But what I've been trying to figure out is how much that is costing. I guess there are certain rate cards for the ICANN sponsorship and we're looking into that, but if it seems like we're going to sponsor the ICANN as a whole it's a little bit, the budget is a little bit beyond what we have or expected.

In terms of pens or stuff, I'd like to I guess ask a question and then comment. The question is whether APRALO has any budget for that itself and comment in terms of .asia sponsorship is that we should be

happy to do it if we can somehow feature a domain that says APRALO.asia for example – we can point it back to the ICANN page for APRALO. That should satisfy us; that should justify us being able to do that.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Oh, well the answer to your question is really simple. There is no budget. [laughing] All ICANN is doing is supporting our travel and the associated issues that go along with travel and accommodation. Obviously the logistics of the actual rooms, the staff that we have that are there for the At-Large and ALAC work are also available to us for the APRALO ones but there are no line items for those sorts of things.

Heidi, I'm going to ask you to just make sure I haven't misspoke there because I possible have done. Do you want to respond specifically to any of those questions that's Edmon's raised before he gets on to the next bit?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes, thank you Cheryl, this is Heidi. Correct, Cheryl, I have nothing to add regarding that there is no budget within the APRALO GA funding for promotional items. Edmon, in terms of sponsorship again the Showcase, if you want to go ahead and do the Showcase sponsorship for \$10,000 to \$15,000 that would be I think sufficient for ensuring drinks, light snacks, and some promotional items for a lot of the people that you want to bring in. Everyone within the ICANN community is going to be invited to that.

We would expect that event would likely draw around 100, 150 people and we would get catering for around 100, 125 people. The wider one would be as you said more expensive but it would be the Welcome Reception which is a much bigger event so if that's something that you wish to consider as well.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: But I think he needs to, I would suggest think of those as separate issues.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Absolutely, they're very different issues.

EDMON CHUNG: Understood, and I guess that's the point where we're at right now. And I've been discussing within my team to see the two levels of sponsorship, how it would work for us. We are celebrating our, we're still celebrating our fifth year anniversary and we hope to do something in Beijing anyway, so we should have a better answer probably next week because this week I'm having my Board meeting, a face-to-face meeting in Singapore and we'll talk a little bit about this as well. So we'll get back to the Meetings Team and finalize it, but in any case we should be in a position to help out in that area. So that's the situation. So the Showcase I don't think we need to worry too much about. We'll somehow make it happen. The promotional items part then goes back to my other question.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Your other question was...

EDMON CHUNG: The other question was yeah, if we're doing giveaway items whether it could-

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: You're talking about a branding and exposure opportunity, yeah. Yeah, okay. Now Heidi, what I'd like you to do is make sure that anything any of us now say to Edmon in response will be to that issue out of the goodness of our hearts and our intention to make everything work well, now if you hear something that you are aware will simply not fit with the sometimes bizarre and peculiar belief systems and structures of ICANN can you please let us know immediately? So just jump on us if we start going off the deep end.

Cheryl here, and so in my totally biased view I would see clear and obvious branding not only at the Showcase event itself, whatever display you want to put up etc., etc. And any bling that you are responsible for, for running the cost of could even be co-branded as far as I'm concerned. That makes no problem. We'll hear from everyone else in a minute but I might as well put my cards down on the table. For example, I see a great interest in the fact that our region is almost twinned in date and age with .asia, and so to that event I could see a lot of twinning and intertwining quite reasonably happening there.

In terms of putting the APRALO.asia page up, again, particularly if that was a repository not just as you were suggesting a redirect to one of our pages, which to be honest is as boring as bat shit, that perhaps could be

a repository of any video or material that was created and observed at the actual event – a couple of highlights of you perhaps talking about .asia and its brief history and support for why you are supporting APRALO in tonight’s Showcase-type line, I would be very comfortable with all of that sort of thing happening. But that might help [revive] you because I want to keep a potential sponsor happy. What’s the view of everyone else? Maureen, your baby?

EDMON CHUNG:

This is Edmon. Just adding, there’s one particular point I wanted to add to the conversation as we go along, is that .asia has been supporting a number of different initiatives and for those who know us, we’ve been particularly low-key and low profile in a lot of things. And if there is discomfort I don’t think we need to have our logo even. What we are interested is for these things to feature a .asia domain, and that helps us in general. And that’s the extent that I think we are looking for.

So in terms of co-branding, I think as long as the domain name uses an APRALO.asia or something like that then we’re good. And then we can talk of all the details in terms of the venue setup for stuff that if we want any additional .asia branding or if we are allowed any additional .asia branding.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Okay, I’m going to ask Maureen to jump in there but I do want to say that thanks to the wonders of the Australian internet, with its lack of national broadband networks I’m typing into the chat but when I press return it’s not going anywhere. But one of the things I just, whilst typing

in and I'd like Maureen to respond to, is because of a number of the meetings I go to where .asia's work is featured I would suggest that I'm pretty well aware of all the incredible things .asia has been supporting over the years; just to drop one in, for example, the Regional Internet Governance Forums and things like that.

But there's a whole lot more including a lot of in-country stuff which has allowed a number of our ALSes to do the work that they do. And I wondered, Maureen, whether or not just like there's the sub-regional display points, whether or not it might be appropriate if there was a small gathering of the fantastic things that .asia does – whether that could be displayed as in-regional activities but still make it clear that none of that would have happened without the cold, hard cash and support of the not-for-profit limited by guarantee that is .asia. Over to you, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yeah, it's Maureen here, and Edmon, I'd have to agree with Cheryl. I think that we really can't hold this event without acknowledging .asia. I'm more than comfortable if there was something set up in the Showcase to acknowledge that. Heidi mentioned a pop-up banner which like for APRALO. I don't know who designs those things or where we might go to get something, but like something that actually represents APRALO and if at all possible to have .asia mentioned on it as well as APRALO.

But I think that if we could, I think it's really important that within the Showcase in some way that .asia is acknowledged to the extent that you feel comfortable, Edmon, I think that's (inaudible). Just moving a little

bit outside of that I just wanted to know, Heidi, I'm starting to get requests from some of the ALSes about equipment that they might need for their displays – like for example, having a TV-type screen or a larger monitoring screen that they can actually show a video of their country or their ALS or something. So I haven't had a response back from anybody yet about what sort of equipment that kind of equipment might be available to us maybe outside of sponsored stuff that might be part of equipment that's normally supplied. Is it normally supplied at these sorts of things? I'm not quite sure, I'll have to pass that on. But you know, I agree with you, Cheryl, about .asia anyway.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Cheryl, can I come in? This is Heidi and then I'm going to hand it-

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: You're our (inaudible) here, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Thank you, this is Heidi. Just one clarification before I hand it over to Gisella to talk about the issues of the technical requests for the Showcase – Edmon or the group, would you like the APRALO.asia domain to be launched at the Showcase and then if so have maybe just a five-minute speech for that during the Showcase, during when the other ALSes and other people are speaking?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Edmon?

EDMON CHUNG: This is Edmon. As much as I love new websites, our experience which we've done quite a few of them indicates that while it's easy to get one set up the biggest problem is usually updating it into the future. So I understand that Cheryl mentioned that just redirecting is not as valuable but I would suggest if we are to do anything that most of the content would be drawn from other places rather than it being a separate site. And in terms of launching it, we can probably talk about it. I don't think we need to make it a big launch of a website or something like that. That's just my...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay. Cheryl here, Edmon, as usual you are far too humble. I think yeah, the updating is always a pain. Therefore a bit of something visual that works and RSS feeds or any content being pulled from the bits within the ICANN and ALSes world so we may update that site is certainly the way to go. I would still encourage you to do some sort of announce – have a three- to five-minute presentation that goes more towards you being the main sponsor and mention that amongst the generosity that you've given to the region to facilitate and promote the At-Large Structures of the Asia-Pacific Region as diverse as it is in language, politics, and geography we now have this URL which we will be benefiting from. That type of thing I think would be more than reasonable.

Now the question then is is that enough? Do you feel, putting your CEO's hat on, Edmon, that that is enough bang for your buck?

EDMON CHUNG:

Well, I think the way that we are looking at it as far as the discussion team goes, this is much more of a community contribution for us than sort of really a marketing aspect. So I think for .asia, it would view it as supporting the community kind of work and I think it's much more on making sure that everyone who joins has a great time and it's highlighting APRALO is the more important aspect of which.

In terms of getting bang for the buck, as I mentioned the more we can feature a .asia domain that's probably much more fruitful for us than just our branded .asia.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Sure, okay. Alright, well Heidi, is there anything there that causes you pause?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

No, but I would like Gisella to come back and pick up on Maureen's point about technical requirements. This is a key piece.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

You took the words right out of my mouth, Heidi. Cheryl here and now over to Gisella to respond to Maureen's specific questions.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Thank you, Cheryl – Gisella here for the transcript. Maureen, with regards to how many individual monitors were you thinking of for the ALSes? What the setup usually is, just to give you some background, is that we get two, possibly three of the stretch monitors during the Showcase. Now, they would be probably inside the room unless we ask to put them up outside, and we usually have a looped video running on one of them and on the other screen we put up the name of the speakers. Hence me thinking that the screens would be inside and possibly the two screens that we use for the ALAC meetings.

Now, we can probably get a couple more set up but how many did you have in mind and what setup did you have in mind? This is also very important because I've got to submit the meeting form before end-of-day tomorrow and I need as much detail as possible for the Showcase and the setup that you'd like.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Right, so Maureen here. I'm looking first of all at one sort of screen for the roll call, which I'm standing up and I'm really thrilled that the ALS guys are starting to send in their photographs and a little bit of information about themselves, and that's really good. So we'll have a rolling roll call of people from the ALSes during, just when everyone's having their little chats and things. The display videos are just, in fact they could probably use... There was someone looking at something a little bit larger than their laptop that they can show in their display areas. So we're not putting it on a screen; it's actually just something that is actually... So what we could do is perhaps make sure that they bring their own laptops but we just saw that some of them might be... I

know that the Chinese group has got a film that they're putting together. Hong contacted me and said that they've got something, and Siranush from Armenia has got a video that she wants to show about how her ALS is working in her country; and I know that we've just got a Pacific video, just trying to put together something that sort of shows off the Pacific. But it's sort of like, it's more display-oriented, not big-screen oriented. Just for the roll call.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Okay, Gisella here again. The thinking would be then, would you see it that if we did it within the room where we had the, while people started walking in, etc., if we had on one side the screen that will be available – as you know, it will be the At-Large room setup which you're familiar with where we've got the two main screens. We'll probably be using the one for the... Because we'll need interpretation we'll be staying inside the room for the presentation. The one side will have the names of the speakers and then on the other side we could have a video, not during the speeches but before and after. We can put a video up which is just the general ALSes. We can decide what video you want to put up there.

But I can see if we can get, if we can have a screen in the outside area where we could possibly load the various films and they may need to be on a loop as well. I don't know if everyone would agree to that, or the option is for people to use their laptops on their specific areas. But we could still put them up on one of the screens outside and loop them.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I think that we were actually discussing them as being sort of like conversation starters and stuff, so people would come past and talk about it with Siranush or with us or with whoever's got something going because others may have other types of things that will attract people to start conversations. But I think as Rinalia has asked if we could perhaps during the speeches, if there could be a map of the APRALO region in the background to like show the extent of the region and sort of like make sense of the region and where everybody comes from.

I'm trying to find a map and I thought I might see if I could just put the names of the people around the different areas where they come from as a backdrop to especially Holly's welcome? It was something that was actually sort of requested so I thought we might go do that.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Maureen, this is Heidi. We already have that. I've just put the link into a Google Maps that has all of the APRALO ALSes. So take a look at that please.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Oh great, oh awesome!

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Cheryl here. Because that's actually a live link or it was when I last looked, someone could be in control and click down into some of those ALSes if they were so inclined to talk as well, it would just give an animated dynamic even if it would be someone in control of the computer that's connected to the display part.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Great, that's great.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: If I can just ask you to now, Heidi, have you heard enough about sponsorship for us to be comfortable with .asia and we can now just talk very specifically about any particular promotional items?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, I think... Yeah, this is Heidi. I think that by next Monday we'll know a lot more. I'll be speaking with [Tensumika] about some issues. Edmon and [Tensumika] and I will be in touch with some of the details. But I feel comfortable already with going ahead and ordering, if you wish to go ahead and agree on a pop-up banner. If you wish to discuss if you'd like to have pens or lapel pins locally sourced I can have staff look into that for locally produced items, etc.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay, my reaction might be different to others so I'd like to hear everyone else's reaction on that. First of all, Maureen and then Pavan and Edmon, you guys are the locals here. You need to talk to us about that and maybe some things that you may have thought of. But Maureen, what's your take on that?

MAUREEN HILYARD: You mean on extra bling? Extra bling ideas?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Well, what bling do we want? Do we ask for lapel pins? Do we do the pop-up banner? Do we do pens?

MAUREEN HILYARD: I like the idea of having a banner at the entrance, sort of as a welcome – a sort of welcoming display. And we’ve got brochures and pens and pins – you’ve already looked at the possibility of pins. And I think too that you know how you said you’ve got the extra pens – I think at the Newcomers’ Lounge or whatever lounge the ALSes end up in these are sort of other things that they may be able to give out as well outside of the Showcase, not in the Showcase. I think I might sort of bring it up with the ALSes and say “What was your favorite thing that you liked?” or “What was the most memorable thing you’ve brought back from a conference?”

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay, well we want to be careful because we’re talking mini-bling probably. If you ask them for favorites their \$30 (inaudible), let’s be cautious what we ask for there, shall we?

MAUREEN HILYARD: [laughing] True, true.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Now just to check in, chatting has been difficult so I’m only just getting up to things with pop-up banners and such. Edmon, you would be comfortable with a cobranded pop-up banner that is talking about APRALO, the Beijing meeting and .asia.

EDMON CHUNG: Yes, we're quite flexible with that.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Alright. To that end, and this really goes back to Maureen on her own because I'm just sticking my nose in here – a pop-up banner which we use on the Monday, there is absolutely no reason why it can't be a backdrop to the break table and chair space that is being used for outreach or it can go and visit the newbies' room, or over to whatever. I think what we should do is, and if we agree on the banner and it happens then the banner just gets used as many times as possible. The only place I don't want to see it up is in the men's toilet. Other than that, put it up.

EDMON CHUNG: [laughter] But that's the biggest bang for the buck.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I think it would be really good for it to be taken around for where the ALSes are supposed to... I mean if there's a special ALS meeting or where the ALSes are supposed to be it would actually be a little more of a-

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Wherever one or more ALSes are gathered together the banner is an option, okay?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yes.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Cheryl, can I just add one comment that you may wish to-

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Certainly, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you. For the NARALO event in Toronto, their banner did not have anything to do specifically with Toronto with the thinking that they can then use it for future purposes. So we now have a banner in our offices in LA that we can send to anybody who's having an event anywhere throughout the North American region. So you may wish to consider not noting that it's Beijing and just putting APRALO.asia or something like that.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Well, I couldn't agree with that more. I think that things that aren't going to be limited by their design is very wise. I'm also assuming that both Edmon's talented staff and those that clearly know how to sell things in ICANN might also be thinking wisely on that. If we agree on the principles that's the main thing. And I think if there is a style type that NARALO has already established, unless it's particularly unattractive – and I don't remember it as being such – there's no reason why... If it's a good style type we can stick with it as far as I'm concerned but let's leave that up to the sponsor and the talent team that's involved with that.

Can I ask you to come back to locally sourced bling, then? Edmon and Pavan, obviously you guys have contacts with locals but you also must be besieged with ideas from promotional terms that we just don't have access to. When we say a piece of memorabilia or a lapel pin or insert whatever here, what comes to your mind? Is there something that you think we might be able to use and indeed preferably co-brand – thinking a medallion could have .asia on one side and APRALO on the other for example. But that's just one thought. Is there something you guys have found is A.) cost-effective, and B.) easy to have customized and prepared locally? Pavan or Edmon?

EDMON CHUNG:

I'm trying to think. Let me check a little bit and I'll get back to the group about it.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Terrific. For example, one of my favorite things ever is a .asia giveaway. I really appreciate that little massage man but that's not what we're thinking here. We're thinking something that is going to mark the individuals in some way, shape, or form during the ICANN meeting but that also has some use or utility, and even lapel pins have that, that they belong to our APRALO type stuff. So if you want to take that on notice, fine, but maybe Pavan, I should ask you if you've got something off the top of your head?

PAVAN BUDHRANI:

I'll think about it and then I'll get back to you guys.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Okay, alright. I think it's important that we get sort of a locally and easily provided thing. Heidi, would you be looking at the costing and everything with things like the pens? It seems to me like we've said yes to a pen, yes to a banner and we want something else. Now the something else is something between a lapel pin and whatever if someone comes up with it, but what it can't be is a red lanyard. And to that end we've got an action item on any of us to think of it but see if either Edmon or Pavan have a good idea that might fit in.

I do keep coming back to medallions for some reason and I don't know why, I suppose because they're sort of like lapel pins only different. It's something that you actually have two sides of and it happens to work both ways. That said, while I'm thinking lapel pin there's a whole lot of other options but it's something that I believe Maureen was thinking was going to be given to everyone at the Showcase's end which would then be a bit of a marker to the rest of the ICANN meeting that says you are either APRALO or you've been to the APRALO Showcase. So it's sort of a limited edition something or other.

Now Maureen's just asked in chat about USB STICKS? Heidi, I'm going to toss over to you, my thought was though – it was Cheryl's thought or was in what's left of Cheryl's now rapidly failing memory – that ICANN itself was moving away from USB STICKS for a whole lot of reasons and things like, for example, instead of having a USB stick with all of our meeting materials, ones for At-Large and the ALAC, we now have a link that's given to everybody that takes us to a dropbox. There's a whole lot of good reasons for that, not the least of which is a slightly higher

cost of USBs but also there are security issues with USBs. But I'll toss that to you, Heidi, and see what you want to say about that.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Cheryl, this is Heidi. I have nothing more to add. That was perfect. That is fully correct.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay, so Cheryl here and her memory is not as faulty as she feels it probably is. [laughter] Okay, Maureen, they are hugely popular items. I mean you start putting a USB stick out on an outreach table and you'll have people lined up around the corner. But ICANN itself has and quite reasonably in my view moved away from those as giveaway items. However...

MAUREEN HILYARD: I'm okay with that.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: One thing we might need to think about, just as the Nominating Committee now has business cards – hallelujah! – that simply have short form information and relevant URLs to take people who are interested in the Nominating Committee world to our pages and the application forms, etc., I wondered because things like business cards can be literally printed overnight locally if it was possible for us to have something with the APRALO.asia URL on it and even if it's on the other side, something about... It needn't actually even be one ALS but it could

be something to the APRALO web space which unfortunately is really sad and appalling.

The other thing I've seen, and this just takes a little bit longer – I think they can usually, companies who do it and I'm sure there's some Chinese ones who do, where they do more variety in their business card runs. There would be something to be said as I've seen some companies do promotionally to have just a short run of a business card size promotional giveaway with whatever information you want to have on it – I would suspect URLs and maybe a QR code – but they can be custom. So it can be that every ALS in attendance has 10 what looks like their own ALS ICANN business card, that just features a link to their webpage as well as if they have a photo it can be there.

There's all sorts of things that I've seen in the promotional world and you might want to think about that, and if you do want to think about that, Pavan and Maureen, I can certainly give you a link to a UK company which is one that I use. For example, when I get any of my business card runs done if I get 50 business cards I can have five or ten different images on my other side. I'm sure that happens in promotional print runs in lots of places in the Asia area as well which would be a lot closer than the UK.

Anyway, coming to that unless I – and at the moment my screen is totally blank... Well no, it's not – the Adobe Connect room is open, just all of the pods are totally blank on my computer; I'm sure that's not the case on yours. So I can't see whether I have in fact managed to get us through all the agenda items. Would someone assure me that that is

the case? And if it is then I believe it's time for us to move to any other business and I'll open the floor.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Cheryl, this is Heidi?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, just one additional point from my end, and then the only other item on the agenda is AOB, Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Phew!

HEIDI ULLRICH: But my question is numbers: would 1000 be enough of both the pens and the business cards, or 1500? Or what number should I start sourcing and getting quotes for?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Over to you, Maureen and Pavan. Edmon, I guess if you want to poke your nose in I would encourage you to do so as well. Maureen, Pavan, have you got a feeling for that?

PAVAN BUDHRANI: I think 1000 should be okay, 1k.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, perfect. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: No one disagrees? If not we will take the word of Pavan. Works for me, alright. I'm now going to call for any other business. Remembering that I don't see anything in the Adobe Connect room, shout out would be the suggestion from Cheryl.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I think I've already asked all my questions.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Terrific, Maureen, thank you for that. Hearing nothing other than Maureen assuring me that what I'm about to say is true, it sounds to me like we have a couple of things. Heidi's got to do a few wander off and get the prices, and get banners prepared, etc., etc. We would benefit from hearing that from Edmon and Pavan if they have a wonderful idea about specific promo items that we can have as a giveaway, but it seems to me that it would be wise for us to arrange another very brief but not [frequently missed] catch-up meeting for this subgroup and hopefully Jack or someone else from the (inaudible) will be able to join us, if Jack can't join then perhaps Hong will. But at least another little get together.

Edmon, you've got your Board meeting next week and it'll take a good week for Heidi to get everything she needs together. Is there a reason why we shouldn't be doing this seven to ten days on from here or... In

which case, if that's not going to interfere with anyone's calendar I'll ask Gisella to heard all the cats in the right direction and find a suitable time that will work for all – that will be terrific. I'm thankful for the amount of time we've put in today. I was a little concerned that we were rambling on a little bit long but I do think it's important to do a bit of brainstorming.

The little business card story, if someone could make sure, I'm assuming Heidi here that "the artwork," in other words what's on each side of these things, the concept just gets sent around between us all. I'm very keen to make sure that the whole .asia story is properly promoted on all of these things wherever appropriate and possible. We've got to add then, Maureen, from your organization a little place and space where the wonderful community projects and outreach activities that .asia is making possible can be showcased as part of the (inaudible) that's done in the region. If we come together in seven to ten days I think we'll have a whole lot of show and tell to do.

What I would ask, though Maureen, is it possible for you to stay on the call a little bit longer? I'm happy to do so as well but I'm very aware that both Pavan and Edmon are not only on work time, but if they're not on work time they're in time that they should be spending in their New Year's celebration. So I'd like to let them go unless they have anything to raise.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yep, that's fine, Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Alright. Edmon and Pavan, if you want to stay you're more than welcome but what I want to do is thank you both and look forward to that little bit of extra input. And I think we're all starting to know where we're going and in what direction we're all heading. If we're not careful we might all be marching to the sound of the same music then, probably a nice change. So thank you, gentlemen. If you want to go feel free; if you don't, feel equally free.

But Gisella you mentioned the dreaded deadline on the morrow. I'd really like for you to have a good talk now with Maureen to make sure that if we don't have actual requests for certain things Maureen may be able to make a best guess on whether they may or may not be needed. You've got the request form, sorry, formal request and what's available in terms of you, Gisella, and Maureen's sort of just working on wishy-washy sort of hypotheticals what people may or may not ask for. So can I just get you girls to start working that one out now?

Heidi, Silvia, or anyone else who wants to-

EDMON CHUNG: This is Edmon. I'll sign off now.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thanks Edmon and we'll look forward to our next chat. And good luck with the board, mate! Good luck with the board. Tell them I won't put the banners up in the loos but other than that it's not a problem unless they want them in the loos, I'm flexible. [laughter]

EDMON CHUNG: Alright, take care, bye.

PARTICIPANTS: Bye.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Gisella, get whatever you can. Get whatever you want from the girl.

GISELLA GRUBER: Yeah, just to say Maureen and Cheryl, that whichever way we're going to submit the forms and then we're going to have to fine tune as we go on. But I think that the main idea is just as we usually do, we'll be asking for... We'll have the two screens inside and I'm going to see if I can get two additional screens outside. We can then decide how we're going to use them and how we're going to wire them up which will be the most important.

As soon as I've seen the design of the foyer we can perhaps then decide on if and where they can be set up. We'll need two to three roving mics and the speaker podium for the speakers up front in the main room. And then a few tables outside which will be used for the ALSes as well as the snacks – I believe that's what was decided on. So I don't know if they're going to be high tables or if you want the normal tables, any thought behind that?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, so are you saying that some ALSes may be inside and some may be outside?

GISELLA GRUBER: No, if we have them all set up outside that's fine. I'm just trying to get an approximate number of tables that we need outside, and if you're thinking of more the tables that we use inside for the meetings or those little high bar tables that we use for cocktails.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, I'm still looking at the low ones. Yeah, Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, Cheryl and I are sort of basing this on the ALS affair that took place in Mexico City. Gisella, if you remember those were basically the low tables, just the normal tables where they can do displays.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah.

GISELLA GRUBER: Okay, just so we're all on the same page at the display in Mexico they were up against the wall and some people had, well people had their stuff displayed and then we did actually walk around with the food in Mexico because the tables were quite full with stuff.

HEIDI ULLRICH: That's a very good point.

GISELLA GRUBER: But I'm not too bothered about that because we can have the waiters walking around, that worked extremely well because everyone was mingling in Mexico and everyone was standing in front of the tables and walking around. It was in one confined room which worked well as well, but here we have a foyer which I believe is great. I'm just wondering how many tables should we ask for and then once we've seen the design of the foyer, because we've seen the ALAC room but I've asked for the map of the venue. Then we can see if we can have X amount of tables around the area to kind of maybe enclose it so people walk within the tables. I don't know – I mean it's open to you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I've actually gave my guys till the end of February to sort of like bring...
Sorry?

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry, that's fine. We'll just put table numbers to be confirmed in the foyer area.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: My guess is if you put five to seven we'd be right.

GISELLA GRUBER: I put seven because I thought well, we really can't go wrong with that.

MAUREEN HILYARD: That would be the minimum I would say. I think for the Chinese guys they've got about eight ALSes or something and they're all doing theirs together.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Seven, so that would be one table though, right? But you're going to be dividing-

MAUREEN HILYARD: I don't know. I have to hear back from Hong about what it is, how many tables they might need. I don't know.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Maureen , it's a very simple system. You get back to Hong and you tell her she's got one like everyone-

MAUREEN HILYARD: [laughing] Okay, alright. They're doing it as a joint effort. Okay.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: ...they can do it around the table.

MAUREEN HILYARD: One table for the Chinese, all you guys, right.

[crosstalk]

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay, alright. I'll be tough.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Be kind and clear.

GISELLA GRUBER: What I'm thinking is I'll see with Nancy what's available but we had in, I think it was at the APRALO in Singapore we had the two screens up front on stands and I'm thinking that that might work outside. We'd have to strategically place them so that no one walks into them-

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Cheryl here. If you remember rightly those screens were actual TV monitors and there was some sort of A/V that was tucked around the corner.

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: They had to be up against the wall so people didn't-

GISELLA GRUBER: Absolutely. But I'm just thinking that maybe in the outside area they can be placed and we can maybe have some looped videos on those, whatever-

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: ...that sort of thing, I think that' great. And some venues of course actually have (inaudible) outside quite deliberately but you just don't know because they haven't given you the information yet.

GISELLA GRUBER: No.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, that's true. Yeah.

GISELLA GRUBER: And then just while we're talking about it, any ideas on how you would like the tables dressed? Would you like white tablecloths, would you like red tablecloths, would you like... Because whatever we decide on we're going to see what the hotel can source and then what we may need to get.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, I'd probably go for white because we'll be wearing red and then there'll be lots of whatever it is we're going to put on the thing – I don't want it to be too red. Yeah?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah.

GISELLA GRUBER: Yeah, then we can [really ask] for them and they'll look pretty. They'll look like school tables. Do you foresee having a speaker podium in front, just brought in after the ALAC meeting so that the speakers stand up? Because like in...

MAUREEN HILYARD: I think so. Yeah, I think I would like the speakers standing and if they're standing then they won't talk so long. But yeah, and then everyone can see them because there are going to be people in like (inaudible).

GISELLA GRUBER: Great.

[crosstalk]

GISELLA GRUBER: ...in Prague when they were kind of sitting in chairs but we've got the podium, that's fine. And then we'll also have some boards, the [pin boards] – I can't find my...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Terrific.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Oh great.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah, because sometimes it's really quite easy for people to bring an [A3] or larger poster and that's quite useful.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes.

GISELLA GRUBER: If they have [clothing] or a fan or whatever they can put it up on the board as well.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, we're sort of thinking of what we call (inaudible), something specific.... Sorry, Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: No, I was saying I'm seriously contemplating that if all your ALSes don't actually come with something that's very much a motif of themselves that we should know that well in advance and we should try to see if we can get one or at least print one so there's greater equity, you know? In other words if people are perhaps not quite so forthcoming in what they're going to be bringing you and Pavan just sort of decide well, here's an image, we're going to print it and it'll be there just so there's not-

[crosstalk]

MAUREEN HILYARD: Oh, oh! There was one thing that I wanted-

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: ...for these ALSes, you know?

MAUREEN HILYARD: I know, I know, and that's what reminded me about can we get those little cards like with the name of the ALS on the front, like a little name card thing?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah, the-

GISELLA GRUBER: [Tent cards].

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah, the little business card size that one side is their own ALS name and URL.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I was actually sort of thinking of a little, you know how you put in front of them so that people going past, if they haven't got anything at least their ALS is in front of them? Their ALS name?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay, Maureen, I'm with you now. I think we can find a way of printing up something slightly bigger than a tent card which is what you're thinking.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, just something so that when somebody's standing there beside a table they don't look totally lost and lonely because they've got something there to indicate they're an ALS, they're from a particular ALS and the country that they're from. So that might sort of start up a conversation with someone.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay. Interestingly enough, something that just struck me which we may be able to get away with, and I just don't know the cost – I wonder if the official ALS reps, in other words those of us who are there on ICANN's dime to be part of the APRALO General Assembly and event, for the evening of the Showcase I wonder if we can almost wear a sash that somehow says, a red background and ours would say ISOC AU and yours would say, well you'd have to choose; probably pick ISOC but you could say Cooke Islands. Most cultures that doesn't have a particular gender specificity, but anyway have a think about that because they're the sorts of things that could quite easily be just red satin and simple once-off printing done on them.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Hmm, okay.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: And that way you can clearly identify these even when you're circulating around the general populace on the night. Anyway, that's about the only thing, girls. In fact, it doesn't even need to be labeled. If you don't want to go labeled I've certainly seen that sort of thing where it looks like a scarf but in fact it is simply a material that will not run; in other words you can cut it with a pinking shear and it's not going to run. And that can be used as a sash or identifier without too...

MAUREEN HILYARD: We will have our label thingamajigies that we get, the ICANN – you know, your name and where you're from and all that stuff anyway, won't we?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah, but you've got to get real close to know-

MAUREEN HILYARD: We normally wear those, don't we?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: We do, but that just identifies, you know... I mean you've got to get very close to someone to know who they are. Heidi, Gisella, you have an idea of what I'm [crowing] on about, don't you?

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes, like the Ms. World's wear. [laughter]

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yes, I would suggest something-

MAUREEN HILYARD: Exactly Gilsella!! [laughter]

GISELLA GRUBER: Is that what we're talking about?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah, well true but I can do it with a decent scarf for example so it doesn't have to be ala Miss World.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Oh yeah, this is sounding good!

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: But I can tie it over my shoulder or tie it around my neck or whatever that would identify us as the ALSes, you know what I mean.

GISELLA GRUBER: In red? Yeah, we could get-

[crosstalk]

GISELLA GRUBER: Yeah. But then we've got to be gender-specific, no? What are we doing to do for the boys?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Well you see, most of the... Well, I can't see any of the Pacific Island guys having a problem with throwing a sash around their shoulder.
[laughter]

[crosstalk]

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: ...a little skirt but that's a different story to some.

GISELLA GRUBER: You know what I was thinking of for the, I don't know if it's going to help – I was just thinking there's one company, one who hands out those little colored ribbons that you stick to the bottom of your name cards, name badges. And I know that Newcomers have green ones.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yep.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Oh, they look pretty horrible.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I don't mind. I think that's a bit smaller than what I had in mind. You know what else would work, and I think it would work in Asia – you know how you can get a ribbon rosette pin? They do it for political

parties and VIP groups? So it's a bit like a rose on your lapel but it's just flat ribbon? We could have a red satin one of those.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, and then have something written on it like your ALS or something? What were you going to put on it?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Certainly we could do that, that could be a set piece of printing that we just pin on. Let's have a think about that but we possibly might need to do that.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Alright, that's on our to-do list but that doesn't help Gisella's need for putting all this paperwork in. Is there anything you need from us?

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes, Gisella here. What I've said is I'm going to put the seven tables, the roving mics, the two additional screens. I'll hopefully have a chat with Nancy, and Maureen, as soon as you get some information if you can just let me know. And I think whichever way, what we will be doing is the first step is to find out, is to make sure everyone's comfortable with the setup; and as I said, as soon as we get the map coming through that will also give us a little bit more to play with because we'll know how we can set up the foyer and we can start thinking about it. I just don't want

to load anything onto Meetings staff at the last minute. But I think that if we ask for the tables, the roving mics, the screens, the pin boards, the podium for the speaker I think we've pretty much covered everything – and white tablecloths on the tables.

We can then go into the detail of how we're going to put the name cards up for each ALS. I'm not sure if you wanted red paper and we can do some white writing on it. I don't know how we can do it. That is more into the detail that we can deal with – my main concern is just to get everything through to Meetings Team. Then-

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yeah, I would leave the name cards and things up to you, that's fine.

GISELLA GRUBER:

I'm going to get some A4 cardboard, the same thickness as a tent card that we can then play around with on how we want to (inaudible). We'll see how we're going to do it. Then when we decide on the catering, and we haven't got any menus through – so once we fine tune that, and as Cheryl knows with previous Showcases, etc., it'll just be very important for us to on one of our calls just walk through, and we'll need the script for Meetings Team as well which Heidi has already started working on: so the times of the speakers, etc. We just need to make sure that we know where everything is slotted in because we're going to be back-to-back meetings that we then, the podium gets put up and then we're going to have, I don't know – whether we're going to have music playing or whatever we're going to do, that's what we've got our Organizing Committee call next week again. I'll send out the

invitation, but just by the time we're ready for Beijing that we all are on the same page on how the whole evening is going to be for the two hours.

So when I hit the ground in Beijing I can then also coordinate with Stacy and her catering team, that's usually what I do towards the end. As long as she's got the specific requirements we just then run through the whole timing with her once we get there.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yeah, absolutely Gisella. This is Heidi. Just so stress that Gisella, what we've done in the past is actually have a run through of all the ALSes during that day sometime. And I'm going to try very hard, and I've already been speaking with Meetings staff to have the APRALO Roundtable in a different room so you'll have more time to set up. But again, regardless of where that APRALO Roundtable is going to be, now that your display tables will be out in the foyer you'll be able to with Gisella and Silvia set up those tables right prior to the event itself.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Great, that's great.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Maureen, it's very useful to have what looks like over-engineering but trust me, it's not a full run sheet.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Oh no, that's perfect. Yeah, I had actually sort of told the guys that we'd probably meet earlier, probably around about lunchtime and start putting things together. So we do need to have everything coordinated properly, yep.

GISELLA GRUBER: And just, sorry, and just thinking of it – if anyone is going to be called up or if anyone is going to be presenting we just need to make sure that they know that they need to be there or that they know that they are going to be called up; that we're not running after ALSes because there are going to be loads of ALSes that we don't necessarily know, that we will have only met on Sunday morning and the Monday morning. So it's important for everyone just to be aware of it, and having the mailing list we will be able to communicate with them but we will have a run through on the day as well.

MAUREEN HILYARD: That's right. I haven't planned on any ALSes sort of like saying anything, like as part of the official presentation. But I think that if you're going to have the roving mics, like some people may want to and I think that that's going to be pretty ad-hoc. It's not actually going to be too formal with the roving mics?

GISELLA GRUBER: No.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Maureen, Cheryl here. Can we make sure, I know it sounds silly but can we actually put a timing into the informal time; in other words, allow at a particular point in proceedings for people to have a brief show and tell if they want to but to have a start/stop limit? We don't want it to go on but we also don't want to not allow it, you know what I mean?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, I haven't had anyone specifically ask yet. Even Hong hasn't actually sort of like made another request yet, but before the end of February I will definitely be getting that.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah, I mean Maureen, you need to realize that you probably will need to tie me up, gag me in the corner to stop me from asking for a microphone at some point. [laughter] Therefore...

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay, yes, right okay.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: But I may not be the only one who would want to mark the moment in some way.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, okay. I will definitely ask that they let me know by end of February.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is just, since my computer has basically died and run out of juice, Gisella if you can just double check with Nancy how that's going to work with the roving mics outside when the interpreters and the speaking, the podium is going to be inside the room – just double check that, please.

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I think she said it was possible but just if you can double check, please.

GISELLA GRUBER: Okay. If we use the roving mics outside in the foyer area once we finish the presentations whether there'll still be interpretation, is that what you mean?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Exactly, exactly. I think there would be... She's already agreed that there would be speakers outside so that people could speak but if they need interpretation that might be a different story then.

GISELLA GRUBER: Okay.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, I'll ask about that as well.

HEIDI ULLRICH: And Maureen, just very quickly on your question to staff some time ago about whether the poster boards for the ALSes can use the ICANN logo, the Beijing one – I'm still waiting for an answer on that. I'll follow up again.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Oh okay, right. That's great, thank you very much.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I would say if there is any problem with using the ICANN logo for Beijing then you're certainly okay to use the At-Large one.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Right, okay. It's just a very pretty one, that's all.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, they're all quite gorgeous, yeah.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, gorgeous, yep.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So I'll see if I can get a response and let you know.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Now, (inaudible) question which Maureen, I haven't raised before but I did wonder do you want to spend somewhere between seven and ten minutes in your proceedings – and I don't care where, inside or out – with a tiny piece of formality? You will have a number of the founding At-Large Structures there, in other words, those that were signatories to what then became APRALO. It's not that difficult to get a person from each of those to come forward and to collect a little celebratory, it is the five years as we know, a celebratory certificate for their ALS and recognizing them and their organization as a founder. I just wanted to pass that to you but I think it could be worthwhile. Heidi, it's not particularly complicated and Gisella, I'm sure it doesn't matter whether we do it informally inside or informally outside.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I'm in total agreement and if Heidi can put that into the program that's great.

[crosstalk]

MAUREEN HILYARD: This is special.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Actually we still have them left over from Toronto. Cheryl, you were the only one there so they're waiting.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Well [I've still got my pin, yep!] [laughter] But the thing is though that that's, yeah, I was the signatory for ISOC AU. I think it would be nice if you whipped up another one for ISOC AU, just so they're not the only ones that aren't called out this time. But yes, you've got one for everybody else. [laughing]

I found a little place in ribbons and rosettes. If I can get my (inaudible) computer to work I'll send it to you but it may or may not.... No, network connectivity troubleshooting, it's just [playing up]. I'm going to Skype it to, oh no... I don't know if I even have Maureen's Skype. Maureen, do I have you on Skype?

MAUREEN HILYARD: No, I don't think you have. I'm MaureenHilyard anyway, just one word.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Alright, I'll ping it across to Heidi and to Gisella individually. This is just an example of the type of rosette I was thinking of which is less gender problematic for us. So I'll just send one to Gisella as well, and then I'll find you in the wonderful world of Skype. It'll be useful to have you on [Skype] anyway... Alright, is there anything else that you need from us, staff? Staff, we are at your beck and call but not for too much longer.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm fine. This was a very useful call. I have pages of things to do tomorrow.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Gisella, Silvia?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Did you get everything that you needed from Edmon, etc., Heidi because I know you had been trying to find some of this information out.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I have, yeah. We were Skypeing during the call and I have Pavan, Edmon asked me to work through Pavan and someone actually in Beijing for local sourcing. So that's great.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: That's perfect. I was actually going to raise the future needs, I would like to start to treat Edmon with the respect that the CEO of a major company is actually due.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, true.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: ...getting to do. And so in that end if he's said to work through Pavan I think we pretty much leave Edmon alone for most of it and just go

through Pavan. Obviously Heidi or I or Maureen would go direct if we need to but I do think we often forget our dear friend and mate is actually a business leader. [laughing] A very big business leader!

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, that's right.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: So when it comes to the next meeting, Gisella, you might just want to Skype it at Edmon and say does he want to send an updated report to Pavan or provide Heidi with one before that and just sort of leave it open. Okay?

GISELLA GRUBER: Sure. So we're having another one of these calls – Gisella again. We're having another one of these calls in ten days.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: If we can get one seven to ten days out that would be brilliant. I'd like that a lot.

GISELLA GRUBER: Just as a reminder we've got next Tuesday the 26th, which will be seven days, we'll have the APRALO Organizing Committee an hour before the APRALO call – so it's 04:00 UTC. So I'm wondering if you want to try to get it in that week or if you want to just do it earlier the following week?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Maureen, I'm happy to make that your call. What do you think?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Actually both those weeks I'm going to be away but I'm on an island where I've actually got pretty good WiFi so I think I'll be able to connect, do Adobe Connect while I'm off the island, yeah.

GISELLA GRUBER: So do you want to have it early the week of the 4th?

MAUREEN HILYARD: I'm easy, yeah. I think if we can do the APRALO one week and the other one the next week that'll be fine. Yeah, we've got the Beijing Organizing Committee meeting.

GISELLA GRUBER: Next week.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Something might come out of that that we might need to talk about [sponsorship by]...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: That's fine, okay. Alright, good. Alright, ladies, have you got any other things you need from us?

GISELLA GRUBER: I'm good.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm good. Silvia?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: And Maureen, you're happy?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, yes.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: And I know Pavan mentioned before you were able to get on the call, I'm not sure whether you were hearing it through the AC audio or not but he's reaching out on a personal level to a number of the ALSes. So do make sure you keep him in the loop.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Who was this? Was this Edmon?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: No, it's Pavan.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Oh yes, yes. Pavan's on the APRALO, the Beijing ALS thing, isn't he?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Well while he's talking to them in a general theme of things he can also be promoting, and "Have you got back to us about the Beijing things?"

or whatever. But just make sure you keep him in the loop on that, okay?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay, will do. Okay.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay. Which one- Are you (inaudible), Maureen Hilyard?

MAUREEN HILYARD: No, that's [Poa]. Poa is representing the Cooke Islands Internet Action Group and I'm representing the (inaudible).

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: On Skype, I'm talking about on Skype. There is-

MAUREEN HILYARD: I'm MaureenHilyard, just MaureenHilyard.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yes, but there is more than one of you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: There can't be.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: There are five of you in the world.

[crosstalk]

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: There's three; one is an idiot because they clearly can't remember their Skype name and they've now got three.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Oh, that probably is me! [laughter]

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: There is three of you in the world; I'm adding the correct one to...

MAUREEN HILYARD: In the Cooke Islands?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yep, yep. Well you'll know in a second because you'll accept me I hope.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, yes, I'm all joined up. Oh, my gosh – it's Gisella Gruber. Yes. Of course I would love to, I will add you! And Pavan has added... Yes, I'm added to Pavan and Gisella.... Oh! And (inaudible), oh, there we go.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yes, and we might create a little Skype subgroup as well because that's often very handy during the... Well, because a lot of people won't be

[keen about] using their phones and things for phone calls overseas – it might be easier to just pop a few Skype messages around sometimes. But alright.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Right, right.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: That reminds me, are we going to be able to get Skype in the conference center, Heidi? Do you know? Are we going to actually be able to access Google and Gmail from the conference center?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. My understanding is that yes, within the venue itself it will be an ICANN-sourced sort of internet. But I don't know... Again, that's in the venue, the meeting rooms and so on; I don't know about the accommodation rooms.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Oh, I would assume not in the accommodation rooms. I don't think I'll get any emails or anything other than at the venue. That's okay, as long as we get some that's fine.

Alright, it sounds like we're doing okay. I've sent most of you a link that is the-

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, it's great.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: That's the type of rosettes I was thinking about. Maureen, you should have it now as well. There'll be someone that does that type of thing – I hope it's the right one but I may have sent you something absolutely unrelated. It doesn't look like the right URL... Anyway, hopefully what it says is what it's meant to be. Just let me know if I sent you a porn site or something, won't you? [laughter]

GISELLA GRUBER: No, that's great! Yes, thanks.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I've got it. Prestige trophy, (inaudible).

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah, but those types of rosettes you see, Maureen, if we get something that identifies those people who are clearly to be talked to.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yep. Oh yeah, oh yeah. Right.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Alright, okay.

MAUREEN HILYARD: So which ones were you looking at? The little round ones?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah, the little round ones.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: ...whatever outfits people are wearing.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, okay. Well, we'll just have to see what... I just joined up with Pavan and I said that I'd meet him on his first Skype meeting one day, and I'm on the main island this week and he asked me if I was in Hong Kong.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Oh, not the right island, that's cute.

[crosstalk]

MAUREEN HILYARD: [Raratonga]. Oh yeah.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Alright, well thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, everyone.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes thank you, very useful.

GISELLA GRUBER: It was a great call, thank you very much.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: The ladies who try and make all the magic work must feel a little bit better that we've given them a little something to work with.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, everyone, see ya.

[End of Transcript]