

GISELLA GRUBER: I'll say good evening to you all. I'd like to welcome everyone on the APRALO Beijing Organizing Committee call on Tuesday the 12th of February at 04:00 UTC. On today's call we have Holly Raiche, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Maureen Hilyard, Hong Xue, Rinalia Abdul Rahim. We have apologies from Pavan Budhrani. From staff we have Heidi Ullrich and myself Gisella Gruber. And if I could also please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you, over to you Holly.

HOLLY RAICHE: Thank you very much. People did have the agenda before them, should we start going through the order that was listed, which is first, I'd like to thank you Gisella, you've put up on the screen prior to what's there now the diagram showing the room we have which looks very roomy. And in front of that, we have the area for the reception, which looks absolutely terrific, which says to me we now have venue details and it looks like we have some very good venue details.

Now, we've, Maureen you've been worried about the showcase event. Do you think that's enough room for you, is it not?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah I'm pretty thrilled with it. I was just asking if we could all fit because I don't think Rinalia and Hong had an opportunity to – oh maybe Hong's seen it already. But it looks as though it's more than enough. Great. It's good to get those dimensions.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

HOLLY RAICHE: Yeah. Gisella could you, is it possible to send a copy of that map around to the Beijing Organizing Committee? Is there a soft copy that can be sent so people can have a look.

GISELLA GRUBER: Holly, Gisella here. Absolutely, I will send that around in an email immediately. Would you like it up now?

HOLLY RAICHE: I don't think so because it would also help Pavan, it would help Edmon as well, so we might as well go to the whole group. But thank you for doing that and if that just goes out as an action item that would be very welcome. Thank you. Next, item on the showcase description that we have, Maureen, do we have a brief agenda? What was thought at the time was somebody like Edmon or somebody would be an MC at the event. Do you want Olivier to do that?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Well I haven't had a chance to talk to Edmon about formalizing the actual program, but if I can get some contact with him then we'll decide on – yeah, I mean Olivier would be fantastic, but like Edmon might want to do it because it's an APRALO one.

HOLLY RAICHE: Could I ask you for to have some kind of drafting? Because do we not want to have Fadi there or somebody there to open the event? So an

idea of who has to be invited, and Gisella, what do we do to invite Fadi and/or Sally?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Holly, this is Heidi; if I may answer that.

HOLLY RAICHE: Yes.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes so, they are very well aware already that this event is happening and you're likely to invite them. Once you just confirm who you would like to speak we will, and the approximate time and whether you want it to be a welcome address or whether you want someone to introduce a keynote speaker, then we'll go ahead and do that. Again, just traditionally it's normally the Chair of the RALO who's the MC, Holly. And then we have...

HOLLY RAICHE: I was looking at it. [laughs]

HEIDI ULLRICH: And then we've had the CEO speak. We've had Sebastien Bachollet who's the Board member selected by the At-Large community. We've had the ALAC Chair speak in the past. So it's up to you what you'd like.

HOLLY RAICHE: Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Hi this is Maureen here. We have discussed, we have actually raised all those issues, tank you Heidi. We just haven't formalized who for the meeting, the discussion we had did not go as long as I would have liked. But yes, thank you.

HOLLY RAICHE: Maureen, is that something you can make, as Rinalia has suggested really supporting Heidi, I think I'm the bunny. I think we will tick tack, if you can tick tack with Fadi, and I think Sebastien is probably a really good idea; that's great. And Heidi would you like to get – Maureen, if you and I tick tack them we can have the invitations go through Heidi, and what Heidi's asking is how long should each speak and the theme. Thank you. Well apparently the bunny, even though I'm a Chinese horse thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I have actually sort of like put together a sort of like program, but of course we haven't had any feedback from my team. So I will definitely push for them to make some feedback and we'll have something for the next meeting definitely.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Heidi again Holly. If I may, I note that Rinalia has noted a possible theme of celebrating regional diversity, which Cheryl is saying "strength and diversity of the region," which are perfect, it's a perfect them

because I think it will segue nicely into the showcase itself. So if everyone, does everyone agree with that.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes I like it.

HOLLY RAICHE: We all think that, Maureen have you noted that there's probably an informal vote by the ICANN team and the rest of us that that's a really good idea.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yep.

HOLLY RAICHE: And maybe we can tick tack offline as to what you want time to do, if that's okay.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yep.

HOLLY RAICHE: Is there anything else that we need, yeah thank you, is there anything else you think we need to do about this showcase? We've seen the venue, it looks fantastic. Once we have some more detail then in fact we will coordinate so that we can have the invitations sent out. And Heidi assures us that Fadi is already aware. And are we finished

contacting all the ALSes? I certainly received that and sent that out to my organization.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes I've had one formal and two informal responses to it, so that is starting to come in. I hope they can all read English. I'm hoping; fingers crossed.

HOLLY RAICHE: Fingers crossed. Now, do we need a budget for this at all other than - because dot Asia is taking care of that? Isn't that for this event? I think it is. Dot Asia...

MAUREEN HILYARD: It's Maureen here again. I think that when we were putting together the program that was one of the issues that was raised like was there any budget that was required or available. So that again, there's going to have to be a cost with each of the program items, but we will discuss that with Heidi as well.

HOLLY RAICHE: Well dot Asia was funding the event, so I think you've got to talk to Edmon too.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Cheryl here. Remember we've got this planned conversation between Heidi, myself, Edmon, Maureen – a lot of this will be cleared up in that. And as I said, life got in the way.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah that will be great, Cheryl.

HOLLY RAICHE: That will be great, okay. Well we have a way forward with the showcase reception, and all of this. Is there anything else that we need to happen for the showcase or reception? It's starting to look really interesting.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah I think this is great. Holly, this is Heidi, just a clarification. Those speakers, would you like them to all have equal number of time or duration or would you like Fadi to say a welcoming address and then the others, like Fadi can speak 10 minutes and the others maybe 7 each or what would you like.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah that's basically what we're looking at, yeah. That's basically what we're looking at.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, so 7 minutes for Fadi.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Five minutes tops is good, but let's have Fadi introducing it and the others are yet to be confirmed.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay and then just follow...

[crosstalk]

MAUREEN HILYARD: It's going to be a really long day and being it's around seven with a lot of talking the whole day. We have to stand for about – I think it needs to be cut and these people can say the right things in a short amount of time.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay perfect. And that's it for the speakers. So basically we're looking at around 15 minutes of talking and then open for the drinks and the fun, correct?

HOLLY RAICHE: Yeah, I think that the drinks are outside...

[crosstalk]

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, 15 minutes sounds good.

HEIDI ULLRICH: And then just one last issue or if this is the proper place to bring it...

MAUREEN HILYARD: Unless they've got a glass of wine in their hand already.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Well that's up to you. And Gisella is the protocol for that, how that works. But in terms of the timing, we currently have it scheduled to begin at 19:00, but now that the multi – people could you please bring the schedule up – you'll see that...

HOLLY RAICHE: Holly? Holly, I've already asked Gisella to do that.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay.

HOLLY RAICHE: Now Hong has her hand up, Hong?

HONG XUE: Oh yes, thanks. We're already talking about drinking, before that I think about the presentation part. Oh right. I remember Maureen has currently suggested probably we group up as sub-regional groups, such as Pacific Islands and large structures want to get together to present as a group. I'm doing the same thing for the Chinese, seven Chinese speaking in large structures. In that case it would save tremendous time, so not one structure one minute, it will be group by group. But it will

depend on organization. This is possible to organize the other part of Asia, that is the question.

And I'm thinking. I'm still thinking. Would it be, this is a showcase of APRALO, would be showcase from each At-Large structure or something like that, it's still in the plan or did we change the plan? Back to you, Holly.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Really back to Maureen. Maureen I think what we need to do is pretty specific. Are we expecting...

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Maureen here. Yes I think we're looking at it as being a display of APRALO, which is one of the reasons why we're sort of like what we'll do together for the Pacific region. We actually are not planning a speech. We're just planning with people coming to talk to us, we'll be very happy to talk to people as they're coming past. But we're not planning on doing any speeches.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Cheryl here. It's much more the concept, as I understand it from Maureen, is more in line with what happened in Mexico with the [fair] where there are spaces or stations that are occupied by ALSes or groups of ALSes, and interaction is more at a one to few level rather than a stand up and bore us all rigid.

HOLLY RAICHE: Thank you Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: It's just simply how I feel. You know how my feet and legs and back are at the end of these days, trust me some of the standing up and listening to these things I've done, rigid is the nicest thing I can say about them.

HOLLY RAICHE: Yeah we're not going down that path at all. We are now branching out back to Maureen and back to Hong saying Hong if you were at Mexico, that's certainly what I remembered Mexico to be. Where there were just various regions and various stands. And it may be that Maureen, when we flesh out a bit more what it's going to look like we might invite various people from the Asia-Pacific regions to talk to each other and come up with various regions that will actually feed into that concept of diversity in the region. Does that make sense?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah. I think that once we, as you say, once we sort of get the plan and you can sort of get to see what is actually – for me, I like, let's see, APRALO display. We would like to actually have like an acknowledgment of APRALO from Fadi and just a few words from some of the other leaders. And then I really just like, it's like participants to be able to go around and to ask the questions that are interesting them from among the group, the groups that are around.

I think, as Hong says, it would be great to actually have an Asian section where like people who want to look at the Asian's, go towards the Asian

section or the Pacific section whatever interests them during the time that they're with us, two hours will just fly.

HOLLY RAICHE: This is more than just...

MAUREEN HILYARD: That's right, exactly Cheryl. The levels at the station and that sort of stuff, yeah.

HOLLY RAICHE: Okay, so that's really the showcase. And what we've got from Gisella, the action item that's in the diagram around. And we've got from Maureen...

MAUREEN HILYARD: There's a plan.

HOLLY RAICHE: Yep okay. So we're making progress. I'm actually thrilled. Cheryl, you're going to be having a meeting. So when we're looking at sponsorship am I right in saying that probably at the next meeting we'll start to have a feeling for what we want and therefore what we're asking people to pay for?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yes that's right.

HOLLY RAICHE: okay.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: And also what resources we're going to be asking ICANN specifically to provide. The chat itself here is starting to bring a few specifics out, but we do need to have a bit of a sketch out of the foyer, know what limitations if any there are. I mean we had a very nice foyer for the last APRALO showcase, but the fact that the foyer was large in area didn't help that it was appalling unable to be set up and we ended up using one tiny third and only just suitably. So we do need to make that sort of decision, but that's another reason why we're talking with Maureen in that group, so she can gel up in concept.

If you want my concept, what I've been thinking of has gone somewhere between what we did in Mexico and the types of things that we've often seen put together in some of the gala, the pre-entertainment foyer space stuff that's often being set up for some of the gala dinners at some of the places. There's ways of getting people to circulate around these things, but we need a little bit of basic information first. And that's okay if we [almost get everything] back together almost at the last minute. The important thing is having the materials and the general concept.

HOLLY RAICHE: Okay. Well that's for..

MAUREEN HILYARD: Just one thing, Maureen here. Sorry, Holly is there any [info about] Mexico? I think there was going to be something online but I couldn't find it. Can anyone take me through that?

HOLLY RAICHE: Look I'm not sure what's left of the planning from Mexico. I mean frankly all that Mexico was from my memory was we all set up in a room, we had whatever specific, anything from pictures and whatever to just plain a computer with pictures on the screen or whatever. So it shouldn't depend on the ALS. In fact it might help if we had some pictures from Mexico to give people an idea.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Holly, Cheryl here. I think you'll find any pictures of Mexico are rally focused on individual luminaries who were talking. I don't think there was much of room scanning done. But Gisella and Heidi and me and a few others had the care and feeding of that event burned indelibly into our minds, so we can help make it right, don't worry.

HOLLY RAICHE: okay that's great.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: And the bumping in and bumping out that I'm watching happening, that question in the chat, what has to change before you can reuse a room; we definitely need to look at that. But that's almost, that's a matter of subcommittee talking with staff and meeting people.

HOLLY RAICHE: Okay. Look, where we are up to now, we've had a look at the staff and the facilities; we've had a look at the showcase, we're happy with that; sponsorship we will talk about next meeting. Now we're already up to capacity building...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay guys, I've got to pop off and take this call. I'll try and get back...

HOLLY RAICHE: Okay. Maureen with capacity building is there any assistance you need? How's that going?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. Capacity building, I've had discussions with Janice about what she's planning for her Fellowship and Newbie program. I know that one of the things that again, we're still working on the actual plan, but we do want to involve the newcomer track on Sunday. She's planning to have like a three-hour session for the newcomers that actually ends – and what we're actually sort of proposing at the moment is to demonstrate, sort of to have a multi stakeholder model ICANN organization for like demonstration to show how a policy decision is enacted by the different sections of ICANN.

And it's just an idea at the moment, but we sort of like thought that if we could incorporate the multi stakeholder model within this three hour session, and include all the leaders as she normally does as part of her morning meeting sessions – they sort of come in and sort of like a

sort of static thing. But if people can see how they fit into the decision making, their leadership role, and it would also free up for her some of her morning programs to actually be able to introduce it within the newcomers.

So there's something that we're working on together. And I have actually asked, as you've noted in the ALS newsheet, if there's anyone has got any ideas of any extra bits and pieces that people would like to know. I haven't had any specific feedback. Yes, Rinalia yes. It's sort of like we're looking at it like a simulation, a simulation model.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Just a question Maureen, we have, as everybody on this call would be aware, we've made really good progress on the rules of procedure. I'm asking whether you think it's an idea for introduction to the rules of procedure for ALAC or whether – I'm thinking the other thing is a General Assembly having rules of procedure to say by the way there's some rules of procedure, this is what they are for the ALAC, this is what they are for APRALO.

And to have that kind of "by the way this is how we operate and this is the Wiki"; whether you think that's better in your capacity building or whether that's part of, I'm thinking that's part of the General Assembly actually for APRALO. But what would your thought be on that.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yeah I think that like the newbies program and all that sort of stuff is, like I mean it's sort of like pretty general. Rules of procedures to do with our meetings and how meetings are run, I think that what we've

done is just don't what everyone does at a normal meeting. We've just actually sort of make it blander, a little bit easier for our users. I'm not...yeah. So they'll experience the rules of procedure when they come to our meeting.

HOLLY RAICHE:

What Rinalia has written in chat and what Cheryl has added in, in the General Assembly, maybe that's where rules of procedure as well as APRALO rules of procedure are. So maybe that's a General Assembly topic.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yeah I think Rinalia's got it down as a General Assembly topic.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Yep, okay.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Holly, Cheryl here. I just said in chat, but it doesn't seem to have come up yet, so just in case it doesn't, it will also be in the chat. But I just said I'd be happy to own that topic if you want to give me five to seven minutes in the General Assembly. Ah there it is, now it appeared. Or whatever time is appropriate. I don't think that we need to belabor the details. I think it needs to be done at a friendly, open, engaging and high level way. But one thing we would want to do is have each and every one of the ALS representatives leave the General Assembly with knowledge that they have access to those rules.

But to that end if I could ask Heidi a question; I assume you’re using a Dropbox system again for this meeting?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, Cheryl this is Heidi, yes we will be doing that. And we will obviously be...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: It might be appropriate for a folder within the truth-packed and exciting pile of things that get put together for consumption at this meeting, if there was a specific folder for APRALO. And then within that, not only could all our gunk go in there, but we can make sure there’s copies of what will then be the new rules of procedure for the ALAC as well as copies of our own regional rules, etc. So everyone can just have themselves refreshed and know that they’ve got access to that in the Dropbox at all times.

HOLLY RAICHE: And my thought, as part of that, and this is something Dev could do, is to say – and I don’t know whether this goes into capacity or General Assembly, but this is how we communicate with each other; this is how you find the various Wiki’s, this is how we talk to each other. How we’ve got not only rules but this is how you contribute or not. And Hong has got her hand up, Hong.

HONG XUE: Sorry, probably I’m losing track of your discussion. Are you talking about General Assembly or something else? If you’re talking about

General Assembly, what Holly just talked about, the rules of procedure may be an interesting topic. APRALO has its principles of operation, but has no – so yes, the rules of procedure, want everyone to adopt one at this meeting this is a good opportunity because all the At-Large structure from the AP region will be there. Is it on the agenda or is it more to think about? Back to you.

HOLLY RAICHE:

We can certainly do that. I mean at some point we should say “ALAC has rules and there’s some that we think...” – Cheryl, you wanted to say something?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Yeah. Cheryl for the record. I’m going to cross both things that Hong just raised and the issue you were talking about before that. Heidi just confirmed that what you’re asking for how to navigate Wikis and wonderful things and communication modalities and all things technical. The ALAC itself is doing that in a 101 session and all of our people will be in that, so we don’t need to explain that.

We can get that off our plate hopefully. I would suggest that with this gathering Hong, what we do is make sure that the At-Large structures we have, including a whole lot of new ones, have an intro during General Assembly to the existing principles that we’ve got. And what we could do is if there are some, if we have time and I personally doubt that we do, if we have some particular proposal for change to those, they could be dealt with in the General Assembly as the only time, or the most appropriate times for such rule changes to happen.

I think you'll find that it will be in these next 12 to 20 month period after June of this year that the RALOs will be encouraged of, if not required, to look at their own operational procedures, memorandums, principles or whatever it is they call them, and look towards harmonizing. So I probably discourage us for putting something together to be adopted at this assembly, as much as I would make sure everyone knew what the [hear and see] of the stuff was right now. But if there's a bit of particular titivation or amendment they can certainly be dealt with.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Right, okay. Now Hong, I think that addresses your question. We're going to have some high level "this is how we operate," and somewhere in there how we operate as ALAC and how we operate APRALO, but as Cheryl said, very high level stuff. And we certainly will not have time to develop anything new. We might have time simply to say "we should be doing the following" and that becomes something that will happen in the following year, I suppose.

Where we're up to now, since we've done the showcase, sponsorship, capacity building, General Assembly, the multi stakeholder – Rinalia, you've been very, very, very busy.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Round of applause for Rinalia, it's all looking good.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yay Rinalia!

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Thank you very much. I just wanted to update the group. I've posted the revised program for the two topics. And you can see the designated list of speakers, and I sent an initial round of inquiry to see whether or not they're available, but only for the first topic on new gTLDs. On the IDN ones there is a slight complication and I'll go through that in a minute. So on the new gTLDs, I have a sense that Holly might like to moderate that herself, so I'm keeping that open. But I will be there to make sure she manages her time properly, because being Chair and moderating at the same time, one could get carried away.

So I'm there to tap you on the wrist. In terms of...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: You can borrow my walking stick for the occasion. Poke her with a sharp pointy stick, that's the way it works. [laughter]

HOLLY RAICHE: Right. [laughs]

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: In terms of the discussions, Peter Nettlefold has confirmed his availability and is ready to go on that one. I have not heard from [Zahed Jamel] or Maguy. Assuming either is available, will be available in Beijing, Jeremy Malcolm was not intending to be there, but he said that he would be willing to come if there was sponsorship. Otherwise he could do it via remote participation.

So the issue is whether or not we can find some funding to bring him and the issue of funding also relates to some of the discussions for the

IDN ones. So that's one issue that I would like discussed Holly. And then in terms of the IDN one, you will see a long list of discussions. And I think about five of them are regular ICANN participants or attendees in terms of representing their communities. And I've tried very hard to find names or communities that are not active in ICANN, because they really need to be at the table when it comes to IDN Variants.

So I've identified sort of like the Thai language community, the [Sinhala] community and the Khmer language community. These are the names that haven't been sort of like around in terms of my exposure to ICANN. The issue again is whether or not they will be in Beijing. And it would be good if we can find funding for them. Over to you Holly.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Okay, I'm going to bud in and then I'm going to let Cheryl have the floor. But I've got two comments, I'm not upset if Jeremy is not there if [Azumi] is, because if you've got four people in one hour that's already a lot. Even if you say to each of those people "you've got five, possibly 10 minutes." So I'm less concerned about that in terms of funding, but we can discuss that. Also in the other, we've got an hour and Rinalia I just don't know if all of those people will fit into the hour. So that's my question. In terms of funding, from what I hear from Heidi in probably every other call, the contingency budget isn't there, but it may be a sponsorship thing.

So first of all, over to Cheryl who patiently had her hand up, and after that back to Rinalia.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thanks Holly, Cheryl for the record. And I wanted to speak specifically to the benefit of remote participation providing we can be assured that at the meeting team end we're properly set up for it. I've certainly seen a number of hugely successful remote participation exercises, specifically out of Asia in a number of the fora I've spoken through and [provided] Skype it's worked very well. Certainly Jeremy has presented, as Heidi said, in Nairobi by video.

I think it should be encouraged. Because what it does is set the appropriate precedent for the diversity, and I use the word again, that we have to have in our modus operandi. We need to communicate in a number of ways. We have a tyranny of distance and economic development stages and language. And as a region I think we can probably show that you don't have to actually have your bum on the seat in the room to be an effective participant. So I think what we might need to do is ensure that we have well-tested and quite capable remote participation systems in operation.

And that would also allow, I have no problem for example if someone is speaking in a language for two or three minutes, particularly when it's prepared for remote participants input. That's often easier to get some sort of pre-translation done. And everyone can have the edited version, even if it's not a word perfect one, but a good indication of what's been said. Sometimes those things can play to our benefit.

It may mean however that we do need to look for some specific sponsorship for some of that to happen, but I would think tapping for travel funding for people at this stage would be extremely different if not all nigh impossible. Thank you.

HOLLY RAICHE: Okay, thank you very much. Rinalia and then we'll move on to Hong's session.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Thank you Holly.

HONG XUE: Please take a look at the newly updated Wiki page. I've now shrink the meeting into a Chinese At-Large structure meeting. So it involves primarily seven of our structures in the Chinese speaking community. Three of them are co-organizing it, so I guess it's not difficult to get a consent from the other four. And we want the ex ALAC member from Asia, there's [Jim Sung] and the current director of APNG camp, [Xio Chen], he is organizing many young people's training events in Asia, so he's welcome here.

So it's a small meeting very much focused. We just don't know where to put it. I look at this Fellowship and APRALO morning meeting from Monday to Thursday, very early time, seven to nine. Probably I missed part. Maureen, will you please give us a briefing how this is structured or can our Chinese one be included here or we need to find another place and time for these Chinese. Back to you Holly, and Maureen.

HOLLY RAICHE: I'm thinking rather than Maureen, could I, I think Heidi is the one who's in control – I'm looking at, on the screen, yes there is not a lot of space. We've got up on the schedule on the screen in Adobe Connect Room,

the Fellows meeting on Sunday at 8:30 till 10. We've got the ALAC meeting, we've got the joint Fellows at seven to nine, so we've got Fellows seven to nine.

Heidi can you have a chat with Hong separately to see if there is a space that can slide in as the Chinese section, the Chinese meeting?

HEIDI ULLRICH: So yes.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Cheryl here, sorry Heidi. I only briefly skimmed through what the update that Hong put on the webpage when it was sent to me as a page change, so I can't say I've sat down and looked at what likely amount of time is going to be committed to all of this. But in my mind Hong, I thought it was a single event. Are you suggesting that it's a whole set of parallels that you want to run through several days? Perhaps you'd like to take the time to allow us to understand what you're satellite activities are planned for, just a event in the week or something that's running all week.

HONG XUE: It's a event, it's one event in the week.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Alright. Well when you asked Maureen about the early morning Monday to Thursday one I was just wondering...

HONG XUE: Oh that's me. I see that the joint Fellowship and APRALO allowed structure is meeting from Monday to Thursday. I'm asking if there is no other times available as possible for this Chinese meeting to be inserted into this umbrella.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: But that would be running it all week.

HONG XUE: No, no, no. I mean inserting in the one morning.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay, well that's different. Okay.

HONG XUE: Pardon me, it's the Chinese New Year. I lost my English capacity.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Perhaps a little [Gambai lesson] then.

HOLLY RAICHE: Can I suggest rather than we do this here, Hong work with Heidi to see where this event might fit? Because it looks like a full calendar for the ALAC and the APRALO, but there does seem to be some possible time on Wednesday, I don't know. And of course it would depend on what else is going on and I don't have a view of all of the other events, and I know that the ICANN staff does. So I wouldn't want to make that call

here. Heidi could I ask if you could work with Hong, see if we can fit in another event.

And Heidi is saying “Hong would you please send her the details and so forth.” Could you work with her on that? And Heidi, apparently there’s stuff in the Wiki that I haven’t had a chance to go through in detail.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Hong, Cheryl here. Could you put the Wiki page link in here so it makes it easy for Heidi who gets six million of these things? As a satellite event we obviously want it to not take the Chinese ALS members away from the APRALO events as well. We need to be trying to avoid that.

HOLLY RAICHE: Okay that’s good. Thank you and thank you for the link. Now Rinalia has patiently sat there with her hand up, Rinalia.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Thank you Holly. I want to clarify something between the two policy discussions. The first one on new gTLDs, my assumption is that there will be many people in the room who would want to contribute to the discussion, therefore the four people on the panel are the lead discussions for each sectorial viewpoint or stakeholder viewpoint. It’s slightly different in the case of the IDN variant discussion. And the reason is that the voices of the various communities have been somewhat muted. We haven’t really seen much of it apart from perhaps the Chinese community.

And it's really important that the representatives of these communities have a chance to say what they think about the questions being posed. So I'm not too concerned about having a list of nine to ten people, and they will be asked to give their thoughts initially two to three minutes on that, and then others may chime in. But it's their voice that's really important Holly.

And going back to Cheryl's point, if there is no special funding to bring people who are not originally planning to be in Beijing, then I think video is definitely an option for a quick blurb of two to three minutes in articulating their thoughts, and/or remote participation. And I can look into that. The thing about that also on the IDN Variant panelists is that I don't have emails for all those people. And I have to chase Edmon or other people. If you have their email address please share them with me. Thank you.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Fantastic, thank you. And I think what this does is it goes back to Heidi and Gisella to say since apparently some of the participants will be attending by video conference, that would be a facilities question as to what's available and if we can just have a look at the facilities available for video. If Heidi or Gisella, we could do that the next time that would be great, because it would mean that we don't have travel cost in that sense; we simply have for the availability of a video conference.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Cheryl here, just on that. A lot of I mean Janis and others that have worked with Edmon and a lot of what's happened in these IGFs and [II

Nets] and things that they've been involved with that have got this down pat, I mean it's worked extremely successfully on a number of occasions. You might want to tap some of their talent as well.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Okay now Hong, you've still got your hand up, is that okay?

HONG XUE:

Okay, I'm as patient as Rinalia. Yes, two comments regarding Rinalia's kind response. One is that ICANN is reforming its meeting structure, and this time they've scheduled several main sessions on key issues. One of the key issues that's being highlighted is IDN Variants. There will be a 90 minute special session on this issue. Of course we want to feature our regional perspective in our multi stakeholder meeting, so as not to duplicate the discussion that will be happening in that session. That's one comment.

Another one is a meeting format. I understand for the IDNs or new gTLDs, there must be many, many people want to give presentations. But I just have learned from the discussion about showcase, instead of having many, many speeches, why don't we use the open mic after a few presentations to highlight the key issues. We open the mic so people can line up just like public forum at ICANN, in their native language to present their will on this. I guess it would be more dynamic. So back to you, Holly.

HOLLY RAICHE: That sounds terrific. Now, Rinalia has her hand up again. She keeps hoping that we'll talk to her. Oh okay, Hong your hand is still up. Did you...okay. Now right now it's one minute till 4:00, which means we have one spare minute. I've made a note of where we're up to in the action items and so forth. Is there anything else that we need to cover today that cannot be brought back until the next meeting which will be in two weeks? Right.

Gisella, could you send out a Doodle? Now, are people largely comfortable with the week of February 25? I'm taking the silence as okay. So Gisella, could you just send out a Doodle for the week of the 25th. I'm comfortable with a Wednesday afternoon, a reminder that the APRALO call is at 4:00 on Tuesday. So if we're going to have it on Tuesday again, then if it could maybe start...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Immediately before or immediately after things.

HOLLY RAICHE: We can have it immediately before or immediately after would be fine. I'd rather have it before because I have to be, literally I have to be downtown at 6:30, so I would prefer it before, but if you could just send out a Doodle that would be fine. Is everybody okay? Now have I left anything out? Hong, you've got your hand up.

HONG XUE: Oh this is about a youth forum. We're still looking forward to ICANNs response. I think Edmon's Net Mission is working closely with Sally and [Nora] on this, so that's all.

HOLLY RAICHE: Okay. I'll put a little action item to see what's happening with that. Is there anyone else that would like to raise any issue before we meet in, as they say in Australia, a fortnight's time? Excellent. So thank you everybody and we will...nothing from, Maureen, nothing from anybody. We will talk again in two weeks' time. Bye-bye for now. Thank you everybody.

[End of Transcript]