

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes, with pleasure, Garth. Good morning, good afternoon and good evening to everyone on today's NARALO monthly call on Monday, the 11th of February. We have Garth Bruen, Thomas Löwenhaupt, Darlene Thompson, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Joly McFie, Alan Greenberg, Gordon Chillcott, Gareth Shearman, Glenn McKnight, Eduardo Diaz, Allan Skuce. We have apologies noted today from Evan Leibovitch and Dana Perry.

From staff we have Heidi Ullrich and myself, Gisella Gruber. And if I could also please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes. Also we hope to have the transcript available within the next 48 to 72 hours so staff will be noting the main action items from this call if you'd please state them clearly. Thank you, over to you, Garth.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you very much. Welcome to the call. If the Secretary could read the action items, thank you.

DARLENE THOMPSON: The first action item: letters to Toronto NARALO sponsors reviewed by ALAC Chair sent last month – this is a closed item. Staff should review and update the working groups' list and status – staff states pages have been updated so this is also a closed item. 2.3, staff will assist with the backend processing of an online application form for ALSes as well as individual NARALO members. 2.4, request to staff to update NARALO's slideshow template, and that's from Glenn. 2.5, NARALO March call

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

time will observe daylight savings time. 2.6, Chair has requested staff print and ship brochures to Joly McFie. And I notice one other thing that staff has done that's really not in our action items is to create a page for NARALO ALSes' spotlight so that we can start doing spotlights on our ALSes. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you very much, Darlene, this is Garth Bruen. Welcome to the call again. I appreciate everybody taking the time to be a part of this call.

Agenda Item #3 specifically for the Beijing meeting, and we'll be talking about the sub-item in more detail in a minute but we may be dedicating our NARALO meeting in Beijing to outreach recruitment activities which brings us to Agenda Item #4, review of communication outreach strategy. And just to let everybody know we had a really, really great, productive teleconference last week between myself, Murray, Evan, Eduardo, Glenn and Joly – and if I've left anybody out, I don't think I did but speak up if I left anybody out.

Some of the things that we took care of or resolved within this session is we have elevated Murray to the Chair of this Subcommittee and I'd like to lead everybody in a round of applause for Murray. Thank you very much. And is Murray on the call? I don't see his name on the list, okay, that's fine. We'll just celebrate in his absence.

I have linked the actual agenda for the Outreach Subcommittee call, and some of the things we did during this call is we brought Eduardo into the Subcommittee – we're very happy to have him. And as I mentioned earlier we are looking to designate the hour or so that we have for

NARALO in Beijing to outreach and recruitment activities. And I think it was pretty much unanimous with the exception that unless there were any burning, burning issues we needed to dedicate to that time that were specifically for the region we will try and figure that out.

But I'm going to put my "agree" green check on as just an informal vote to dedicate that time in the Beijing meeting to our outreach and recruitment activities. Gordon has added his check, so that's seconding the motion. I see Eduardo has put his check in, Darlene... Okay, wonderful. And nobody has any objections? If you have any objections please say so, raise your hand or signify it by some other action. And I see I've lost control of my computer, hold on...

This Adobe Connect has the shocking ability to block everything I'm doing. Okay. Some of the other items we discussed in our recruitment call... My mouse is still not responding, hold on. Stand by everybody. Alright, while I'm waiting for my computer to get back to normal Glenn had a very, very late item to add to the agenda and it was regarding nominations for internet person of the year, was that correct? And if Glenn is on the line maybe you can just speak to that briefly.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yes, Glenn for the record. I just gave the link – the Internet Society is actually asking for nominations. It's a fairly quick turnaround time, folks. If you have someone it's February 18th and they're looking for people who've had impact, influence, innovation and reach for the Internet Hall of Fame. So if there's anyone that you know that you think we should be nominating this is the chance to put their name forward.

GARTH BRUEN: And what does that actually mean for them? What are the results of that kind of event?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Well, it's like a lot of organizations. They think it prudent to acknowledge their pathfinders, so I think it's not a bad idea. They've been doing it for a while. If you look at who's gotten the awards in the past it's quite a prestigious group. Is that Joly?

JOLY MCFIE: Yes, it's Joly speaking. It's the 20th Anniversary of the Internet Society and they have a global lineup in Geneva. So it's part of that great institute, so it's all the same as part of the 20th Anniversary celebration. So they had an inaugural class and they had a big gala event for them in Geneva, so obviously they have to follow up annually, and the effect of it is that you get featured on the site and whenever you do something significant they kind of tweet it out. That's about as far as it goes I think.

GARTH BRUEN: Alright. I am really sorry, folks – my computer is just not responding all of a sudden. Let me just open up the agenda on a new computer. I mean this is one of the benefits of being a geek – you actually have several machines at your disposal. Maybe somebody who has, maybe the Secretary can at least read out what the next agenda item is underneath the “Our Community” section.

DARLENE THOMPSON: Actually, before we do that one comment that's in the chat that you may not have seen, Garth, is Joly McFie said "I'm thinking of nominating George Sadowsky" and Olivier said "Good idea." I don't know if you saw that.

GARTH BRUEN: Nope, I haven't seen anything. Hold on...

DARLENE THOMPSON: There you go. So, under "Our Community..." Are you back now, Garth?

GARTH BRUEN: Yep.

DARLENE THOMPSON: Okay, go for it.

GARTH BRUEN: No, I don't have it back up yet. If you could read what's next under "Our Community" after the recruitment meeting.

DARLENE THOMPSON: Yep, ALS representatives should get a vote for Board seat 15. This is from Avri and she's got five minutes to discuss this.

GARTH BRUEN: Yeah, I think I saw in the chat that Avri actually doesn't have a voice connection. Can staff confirm this for me?

AVRI DORIA: Actually I do.

GARTH BRUEN: Hey! Okay, Avri.

AVRI DORIA: Am I able to be heard?

GARTH BRUEN: Yes, you have the floor, go ahead.

AVRI DORIA: Okay, thank you, yes. I just meant that I wasn't dialing in, that I was going to use the Adobe connection, sorry. Yes, the appeal I'm making for RALOs' support and others is that the rules were just refined in terms of how the new Board Seat 15 is selected. And for a long time I've been thinking that we really need to have suffrage in this whole selection. Now, I started out asking for suffrage for all At-Large members and was thoroughly rebuffed on that one with arguments like "We tried it once before," "It's too hard," "It can be gamed." I disagree with all three arguments but I accept that that's not going to happen, at least anytime in the near future.

The way the selection stands at the moment is after the whole process of picking candidates people will remember, the ALAC members plus the RALO Chairs get to vote on the candidates. I'm now suggesting that instead of the RALO Chairs voting, the ALS representatives vote. Now, I understand that there are perhaps complexities that need to be worked out on this. I know from talking to people in Latin America, in LAC rather, that they have a method whereby some countries are weighted higher than other countries because of, I'm not quite sure why but they do.

One of the things that came out of the working group that was working on these policies was a recommendation to add at the very least we have a community discussion on suffrage for the ALSes before and in time for this time's elections, or selections I should say. It's not really an election unless the body politic is voting but at least the selection that included suffrage for the ALSes.

Now, one of the responses I got back is "Is there a RALO that supports you? You're just a person, you need a RALO to support this," so therefore I'm coming to NARALO and sort of asking for support – at the very least support for the community discussion even if I'm not quite asking NARALO at this point to support ALS suffrage without the discussion. But certainly I'm asking for the RALO support that there be a full community discussion of suffrage for the ALSes when we elect Seat 15 the next time and that we discuss all the issues. Thank you. Hopefully I escaped in five minutes.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, this is Garth. I can't quite see yet who has their hand up. Does anybody have their hand up to comment on this or perhaps offer a counterargument?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Garth, this is Heidi, as of yet nobody. But Olivier has noted that on the Sunday agenda in Beijing there is 45 minutes to discuss this issue.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, and I'm assuming that, this is Garth, that there is no actual vote until after that discussion takes place – is that correct?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi, yes. There will not be a vote until sometime later.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Okay, Avri, you have your hand up? Please.

AVRI DORIA: Yes, I do. I'm questioning whether waiting until Beijing to get this discussion on the road is good enough. I'm really afraid that if we start the discussion in Beijing the next thing I'm going to hear is "We have to elect by the Annual Meeting and it's much too late now to change the rules, good luck next time." So I'd really like to challenge the notion that we can wait until Beijing to start it though I'd very much appreciate having it on the agenda, thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, this is Garth and I'm back into the room, and I see Alan has his hand up and then Olivier. Please, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, just a couple of minor points. Just to be correct, what was suggested was not that a RALO needs to support it but if it's going to have any ability for the ALAC to adopt it at least one ALAC member has to be willing to present it. So it wasn't a RALO as such although a RALO supporting it wouldn't hurt the concept. And I put a note in the chat just about what the rules are for Latin America, which is slightly different from what Avri had but not important from our point of view. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, I believe Olivier is next.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Garth, it's Olivier for the transcript. I just wanted to respond to Avri with regards to having a session or a discussion earlier than in Beijing regarding Article 27 of the revised Rules of Procedure, which is the Article that deals specifically with this subject. The problem we're faced with is I think that the subject itself merits a full discussion, so I don't see 45 minutes of a standard ALAC call being taken on this single issue bearing in mind that our ALAC calls are an hour and a half and we are already struggling to stick to that amount of time.

If we were to have a discussion on this prior to Beijing we would need to have an extra ALAC call in my view, and I'm not quite sure that we would be able to get the required number of people specifically for this issue from around the world. We have such a very busy schedule. So that's the reason why I thought that in Beijing we would have ample time to be able to discuss this and to see the pros, the cons of this, the for and the against and have the full ALAC be able to make up their mind on this.

GARTH BRUEN:

This is Garth. As long as I guess I'm going to put it out there for a comment, Avri, would it be reasonable to take the time between now and Beijing to perhaps start a discussion, maybe gather interest and inform people in preparation for that meeting? Would that be something? Do you see that as a reasonable strategy for the moment? Avri, please.

AVRI DORIA:

Yes I do, and apologies before for being too loud. I'll try to speak a little bit more softly. Usually my problem is being too quiet. Yes, starting the discussion sooner, it's just that as I say I'm hoping that this is more than an ALAC decision – that it is a unity and ALSes brought in through the RALOs' discussion and I believe that takes time. I believe we do too much purely at the ALAC level and when we're talking about things like suffrage I think we have to include the RALOs and we have to find a way to include the ALSes.

So as I say, I'm very grateful that we're going to have ample discussion in Beijing for the ALAC members but it would be great if the ALAC members had already been informed by the RALOs, by the ALSes, by the user community at-large before we got to that point. So yes, your suggestion is a good one but I'd prefer for it to be organized as opposed to single person-shot, that basically if we're going to look at suffrage as was recommended by the – and I forget the initials of the ASBDT or whatever – committee that sort of agreed, perhaps reluctantly, perhaps eagerly to recommend to ALAC that there be a discussion on this; that the discussion be a wide one on suffrage, not a discussion among the voters as to whether they should allow other voters. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Alan has his hand up, please.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yeah, two points. First I'll point out that before the voters became the voters there was a very wide discussion with an awful lot of people participating, so this wasn't a discussion made by the ALAC purely by the ALAC, and those who were involved in NARALO at that point and some of the people on the call today were called. There were some rather spirited calls of NARALO debating the point, so it's not as if this hasn't been talked about before. Just to set the record straight, though, and I asked a question on the chat, Avri: from what you're saying, I can interpret it two different ways and I'm not quite sure which way you're meaning so I would appreciate it if you could answer the question. Thank you.

AVRI DORIA: Okay, let me look for the question... “Are you saying that an ALS votes with equal weighting to an ALAC member or altogether their communal voice replaces the Chair vote?” I was thinking, my original proposal is that the ALS rep’s is a vote equal to any other vote. But I understand that in the discussion people may have arguments for why it should be otherwise. As I say, I started from the position of all ALAC members should have a vote and it should be an election, a real election for our Board chair which would be really an exciting thing. I’ve backed down to the notion of the ALSes voting and that’s what I’m proposing, thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: Avri, just for the record I wasn’t debating – I just wanted some clarity to understand what it was you were proposing because the latter of the two suggestions is in fact what many RALOs already do. So that’s why I was asking for clarity, that’s all. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, this is Garth. Just for clarification, before we even go into an election what is the nominating process for this new Board seat?

ALAN GREENBERG: It’s all very documented and we don’t want to go into it on this call I don’t think, unless you want to allocate another twenty minutes to it and then Olivier would be delighted to.

GARTH BRUEN: No that's fine, this is Garth. I'll work with Avri to kind of flesh this out and see how we can get the information out to the RALO and get something rolling. If you're comfortable with closing this topic, Avri?

AVRI DORIA: Oh yes, thank you. I really wanted to get it on the table. I appreciate the time, thanks.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, thank you very much. Okay, moving along under "Our Community," #5.2 Recruitment – see Item 4. This is stuff we've already discussed except for one item, item #4.3 which is the scholarship application round for ICANN in Durban, South Africa. Now this is something that I was not aware of. Does anybody from staff know what this program is?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm sorry, Garth, this is Heidi. I didn't quite catch the last point.

GARTH BRUEN: Can you tell us a little bit about what the Fellowship Program is?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, the Fellowships are more for developing country people who would not be able to attend otherwise. It's a series of sessions during the ICANN meetings. I can put that link into the chat in just a moment. People are nominated. There's a group that nominates them or selects the people who are selected for travel support to the ICANN meetings.

There's a maximum number of three times that people can be a Fellow and the aim is to incorporate them into the community.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. I see Olivier has his hand up, thank you, Heidi.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Garth, it's Olivier for the transcript. I just wanted to add to what Heidi has just said and to emphasize it is a program that is designed specifically for developing countries and developing countries as listed in the UN database. It is a bit of a pity I guess because we do have some communities in countries in North America and also in Western Europe – some communities are also not well off at all and are also on the wrong side of the digital divide, as one would say, and in similar conditions to those in developing countries.

I have mentioned this to various people in ICANN and I do hope that in the future a Fellowship Program will not only be for developing countries but for all countries and all needy applicants if you want in all countries. But for the time being... Yeah, exactly, indigenous communities – very important and at the moment it's something that is impossible if you look at the requisites of the Fellowship Program. That's all, thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, thank you very much. Darlene has her hand up very quickly, thank you.

DARLENE THOMPSON: Very quickly, yes, I'm here on the North End of [Bassen Island] and there's two people here from the Department of National Defense who fought in Afghanistan and they said in the most remote regions of Afghanistan their internet was faster than where I am right now in Canada. So I agree with Olivier, thanks, that's it. [laughter]

GARTH BRUEN: Fascinating commentary, that's great. No, this is definitely something we should keep our eye on and something we will revisit and possibly figure out ways we can propose to expand this program and see what worthy communities there are out there within our region. Okay.

Jumping back down to "Our Community" #5, under #5.3 and #5.3.1 we have the acceptance of the Nova Scotia Community Access Program. Unfortunately Dana was not able to appear in person for this spotlight but he did supply a video. Staff, are you able to roll the video in the Connect?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. Yes, if I can just ask Gisella to start that? Gisella, are you able to get that video going?

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry Garth, yes, I'm going to get the video playing now – it's Gisella for the transcript.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you very much.

DANA PERRY: Hi, I'm Dana Perry. I am the (inaudible)...

DARLENE THOMPSON: Lost audio.

GARTH BRUEN: Staff, we may have to restart the video because we've lost the audio.

DARLENE THOMPSON: Yeah, I can hear the audio if I crank it all the way up in the Adobe room but not in the bridge.

GARTH BRUEN: I have my (inaudible) and I can't hear anything.

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry Garth, it's Gisella. Do you have your speaker close?

GARTH BRUEN: This is Garth. I have my speaker on and I have it on high and I didn't hear anything.

GISELLA GRUBER: Okay, let's try it again.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: While we're waiting, perhaps if we have a link to a YouTube site if he's got it shared, or on his website maybe?

GARTH BRUEN: I can hear it now.

DANA PERRY: ...appreciate coming to the ICANN 45 Conference in Toronto. I was a bit overwhelmed with all the activities (inaudible) and so forth. So it's an important part.

I regret that I could not be [on your teleconference today] but (inaudible) rescheduled and I had a [funeral today so the timing was] (inaudible). ...organizations that deliver free and/or affordable internet (inaudible) coupled with a [communications program] (inaudible). However, the (inaudible) so we have [offered] services and whatnot. (Inaudible) federal government we're no longer funded through governments. (Inaudible) ...involved now as an ALS with NARALO. I will include a link to our website on the video as well as (inaudible).

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, this is Garth. This was I guess an experiment in the use of our technology here, and Darlene, you have your hand up. Please go ahead.

DARLENE THOMPSON: Well I think that a lot of people couldn't hear what he was saying. Dana runs the Community Access Program in Nova Scotia; I run it here in Nunavut so we're both part of the same project. And just to give people

a quick overview, it's where we will have telecenters or computer access centers and they're co-located in libraries, schools, community centers, that sort of thing so the public can get access to the internet. And we also have funding for youth interns to work there to help people who are unsure of themselves on the internet or who need help on the computers.

He was also discussing the federal funding cuts that we've just had; the entire program has been cut nationally so that we're struggling along on whatever partnership funding we can find – that's his organization, my organization and others across the country because it is an excellent program. And that's actually what brings me up to the hinterlands in Nunavut. I'm doing some training, some IT training through the same program and he's looking after that in Nova Scotia. It's a very worthwhile program. There you go.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you for the summary, this is Garth. Moving along to item [#5.3.2] concerning University/Community Partnership Social Action Research which is another application that has been delayed and caused a little bit of confusion. I am going to be calling some of the folks who were involved in that later. I got the number late on Friday or something and then I didn't want to call too early because they're in a different time zone. So I will be calling after this teleconference and hopefully reach a person and talk to them.

And just for staff on this item, we were waiting for a funding clarification from legal. Has that come through?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi, Garth – not yet. I will follow up with Legal. They have responded and are aware of it, they just haven't responded with their answer yet. While I have the floor, can I just go back to the issue of the Fellowship? I've just had an answer from Janice Lange.

GARTH BRUEN: Go ahead, please.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, good news. They don't have it yet but absolutely they're willing to look into the ability of having indigenous populations from NARALO added to that. What they're requesting is that if someone, perhaps Garth or Darlene, could put together some information... Let's see, yeah, data information that can be sent with a formal request from NARALO with the rationale behind opening the Fellowship up to the indigenous populations to Janice, I'm happy to forward that to her. And Janice will be meeting with the Selection Committee in Beijing so if you can do that prior to that I think it might be a good possibility of having that included.

DARLENE THOMPSON: I can do that if you want.

GARTH BRUEN: This is Garth, yeah. We absolutely will. If you can add that as an action item so we don't forget it, staff, I would appreciate it. And anybody

else's input in that area is welcome, too, and this is maybe kind of a question maybe for Olivier. Are there not some maybe indigenous or impoverished populations in Europe as well? I think maybe up in the far Arctic, maybe you don't know.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Garth, it's Olivier for the transcript record. There are. I'm not sure whether they are impoverished or not or whether they are in any problematic position in any way, but when you look at all of Europe you do find some parts of Europe that are particularly poor as well – Southern Europe specifically. And it's clear that there are some communities that are going to need to be helped out on these things. And it's not just a case of indigenous versus the others, you know, it really is a worldwide thing.

And you mentioned, or Darlene earlier mentioned the access speeds being faster in some parts of the world than where she is. There are some parts of the world in Europe where you don't have any access whatsoever – there's not any mobile phone reception. And you'd think these are very far out of the way but no, they're sometimes very close to town centers. Anyway, let's not linger onto that.

GARTH BRUEN: Yeah, this is Garth. I mean this is a NARALO call but I just am curious globally if this is something that is a problem everywhere. Eduardo, por favor? Eduardo, if you're talking I can't hear you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Can you hear me?

GARTH BRUEN: Ahora. Si.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, this is Eduardo for the record. I just wanted to add that we're going to have a challenge here in how we are going to define what the indigenous populations are, because how the Fellowship talks about the World Bank where they have a list of countries that can apply for the Fellowship. So this is a challenge, so whenever you're going to discuss this include me and we can do some brainstorming so we can come up with something. But I think this is [great], thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you, Eduardo. I think that we can put this under the umbrella of our outreach and recruitment efforts, and I'll add this as a bullet item to our agenda under that group. Okay.

So moving along from this topic, I'm going to skip right down to, unless there are any objections down to Item #6 in terms of Beijing and preparing for Beijing. In terms of getting a visa – is everybody cleared up on any confusion in terms of getting a visa? I still have some outstanding curious questions and I actually haven't applied for mine yet. I'm probably going to go to New York next week and do that. But is anybody else having any trouble? Has anyone gotten their visa yet? Darlene, you have your hand up, please.

DARLENE THOMPSON: I'm wondering if anybody's even got their visa letters yet from CNNIC because I haven't got that yet so I can't even apply yet, so I'm wondering what I should be doing.

GARTH BRUEN: Well this is Garth. I got mine almost immediately so you may want to try to reach out to them again. Alan, you have your hand up, please.

ALAN GREENBERG: I was going to say the same thing.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Evan, you have your hand up.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Hi there, I don't know if anybody can hear me?

GARTH BRUEN: We can hear you. Yes, we hear you.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Greetings from a hospital waiting room. I have an appointment to get mine next week. What I found at least on the Canadian website is that there is a fill-in form that you do online. You print out the results and then you can actually make an appointment at the Toronto location to go in and present and sort of not worry about going through and waiting in the queue half the day. And Avri, you sent out a message saying that if (inaudible)...

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Can't hear him.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: ...a visa. I appreciate that because that will save me some time.

GARTH BRUEN: It's okay, this is Garth. The audio from Evan is very light. He did say that there is a website for Canadians at least where you can create an appointment to go to the Toronto Consulate. And there was some other comment about Avri and saving some grief, I'm not sure what that is – maybe we can enter that in the chat. Heidi, you have your hand up?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, thank you Garth. Just to point out and as I've put into the chat, CNNIC is closed for the Lunar New Year, the Chinese New Year through the 18th of February. So if you haven't received your note from them yet it's likely you're not going to receive it at least until the 19th or 20th.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, alright. Darlene, is that helpful at all?

DARLENE THOMPSON: Well, I guess it just means I'm going to have to bug them again because this was over a month ago that I asked for it and then ICANN Travel asked for it as well, and then CNNIC kind of came back to it and said

“Okay, we’ve got your request, we’re on it,” and then I never got anything back. So I guess I’m going to have to keep asking.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. We’ll keep an eye on it and please keep me in the loop. Thank you, Darlene.

DARLENE THOMPSON: Thank you, Garth.

GARTH BRUEN: This is Garth. Moving on to Agenda Item #7 and there have been many discussions around new gTLDs recently. There was supposed to be a meeting today; it was postponed until tomorrow. And we have a number of objections in particular to .amazon and .patagonia because those are companies and they’re also regions within South America, and people are concerned about the representation there. There are some concerns from the health community about .health, and on the phone today we actually have Tom who is going to discuss some of the swirling concerns around .nyc. Tom, if you’re on the line I’m going to turn the floor over to you, thank you.

TOM LÖWENHAUPT: Yes, you’re able to hear me?

GARTH BRUEN: Yes.

TOM LÖWENHAUPT:

Yes okay, good. Well I have been involved with this for a decade and was very disappointed when the city had not reached out to the community and submitted their application indicating that as a geographic they're not [in the community aspects]. So I took advantage of the At-Large process and filed an objection which finally got some attention from the City of New York who is the applicant for the .nyc top-level domain. And they have agreed to form an advisory board which they had mentioned ever so briefly last August and only now have gotten around to forming.

They have reached out and have gotten six members, five of whom have agreed to serve on this board which would be in continuous operation I think. We still haven't formalized the role and duties of the board but it seems that with the help of the At-Large process we have managed to get some attention to the lack of public engagement. When they learned about my objection they were astonished and had no idea about what ICANN was, what ALAC was, what anything was. So it took a bit of persuading that it was a real organization and it was a real threat to the status of the application before they acted and I think that and believe they acted in good faith and that, since no formal announcement has been made but I think the breadth of the members that they've selected for this committee is reasonable.

I mean it's not... I had been pressing for some giant committee that would represent all sectors and every conceivable element of society and this is only six people, and they're all just these very knowledgeable people and (inaudible). And I think that they will do a decent job in

deciding and gathering some public input. But it's yet to be seen and that's where I kind of, I don't know exactly the status of the objection I had put in but I had outlined what I just said, and someone said "Well, then your objection has been, you're rescinding your objection." And I flatly said that I wasn't but I realize that it was a very cumbersome task for the Review Committee to look at this, to discuss this issue and there had been no action on the part of the .amazon or .patagonia or .health people, or little, to resolve those.

So I think I gave enough of an indication that said there was some satisfaction on the part of the .nyc applicant and that I didn't need to be addressed at this point; and it was also mentioned to me, and maybe someone can fill me in more on this but that there is a commitments process that's going on for the (inaudible) on applications on public interests and something, that those commitments would be formalized one way or another and that perhaps I should follow up on it in that realm to make sure that there is follow up on the part of all of those, my city as well as others who have made commitments but they're not formalized at this time – contractual [keys] to those commitments. If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Tom, thank you very much. I think that the group has had a little bit of a hard time hearing you but I can summarize a little bit of what Tom said. He's saying that he was concerned and the community was concerned about the lack of community involvement in the creation or the policymaking of .nyc. And his objection actually got some response and they're actually, if I'm not mistaken he said that the City is looking

to create a board and involve advisors from the community in the policy which is apparently a better response than some of the other objectors have received. And this is interesting for us to be able to have I guess a front row seat in the objection process, and there'll be a call tomorrow for the New gTLD Group run by Dev, and it's always very interesting and informative.

So in the interest of time I'm going to move forward and I'm going to skip over some of these other new gTLD items because some of them won't be determined until after the call tomorrow and we'll have more information at that point. I want to go to Glenn quickly in terms of the Nominating Committee – I know you sent out a report. Do you have any comments about the Nominating Committee, Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yeah, quite quickly, I sent a graphic as well. We are past the 50% time for accepting your nominations for various positions. ALAC is not, our area is not in the running – we have our ALAC reps for this coming wave so any other positions you're welcome to it. But again, we started the process back in November and the last deadline is May 1st. I know it's a long way away, but if you have someone, yourself or anyone else to nominate please go to the nomination page and look it up, and that's it.

GARTH BRUEN:

Glenn, this is Garth. What are we nominating for? Are we nominating for members of the Committee or for other positions?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Not for ALAC, for other positions in NARALO. So if you want to nominate yourself or someone for the Board there's three positions available with the Board and there's other positions as well.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, alright, thank you very much. Alright, we are moving towards the end of our hour and this next section is dedicated to ALAC issues, and I've listed a number of issues that I've captured over the month. These include ALAC and At-Large involvement in GNSO activities; approved Board resolutions sent to the community by Sebastien and a European Summer School sent by Wolf; a Voting Infrastructure Rules Registry and Registrar Stakeholder comments; some other comments on the GNSO Working Group for Consumer Trust; Consultation in the ccTLD Delegation and Re-Delegation Performance Standards, Interim Report on IDN and ccNSO Policy Development Process – Policy versus Implementation Discussion; Revised New gTLD Registry Agreement; and the ATRT2 applications.

Is there anybody from ALAC or anybody else who wants to discuss any of the items listed there? I know Alan you had sent out quite a bit of information about the At-Large involvement in GNSO activities. Perhaps you can summarize that for us.

ALAN GREENBERG: I was just waving the flag and saying we need people to get involved.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. And how can people get involved, Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG:

Essentially I send out regular notes and I will be sending out a summary very soon of ongoing activities and I send out notes on a regular basis to the At-Large list and to the ALAC list. I don't forward them to each individual RALO list because I don't have rights on all of them but any of the ALAC members can do that if they believe the At-Large list is not sufficient for their members identifying new projects as they come about. And when someone finds something that sounds like it's interesting or sounds like it has user implications they need to volunteer.

And as I said in my note I'll be glad to hold people's hands and give them some sage advice as to what to do and what not to do. That advice normally starts off as "Listen until you understand what's going on" and "Don't embarrass yourself." But obviously there's a lot to be learned. It's a steep learning curve in some cases, in other cases it isn't, and the ALAC I believe cannot continue and simply make pronouncements after the fact about they don't like how something's come out. People have got to get involved and help form the policy. You won't always win every argument. This is not a place where we can hold forth and simply tell the world, but people involved at an early stage have an opportunity to change things and I encourage it.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay, thank you very much, Alan. I'll put some more light on this issue, then, it does sound really important. Before I go to Evan – Evan wants to discuss something that's been bouncing around the list in terms of reaching out to ARIN, and also Avri has commented in the chat

concerning Wolf's training. But before I go into that there was specifically Sebastien had sent out a Board resolution item concerning a multi-stakeholder Meetings Strategy Working Group. Is there anybody with ALAC who wants to discuss that item or maybe provide some more insight into it? Okay, if no one wants to discuss that further we can go to another item, and I'll wait for anybody who wants to speak about a particular item – I'm looking for hands...

And if not I will go to Evan who wants to discuss talking to ARIN about some potentially I guess common concerns or bilateral issues. Evan, are you able to speak on the call?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay, can anyone hear me right now?

GARTH BRUEN: I can hear you. You may have to speak up a little bit.

DARLENE THOMPSON: Barely.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay, sorry. Essentially I just wanted to pick up on things that were mentioned in the mailing list over the past couple of days that there was an interest among some people in the numbering part of ICANN – most people know everything, know lots about the naming issues but not about the numbering, not about IPv6 and IP address exhaustion and that kind of thing. And ARIN as most of you know is the body within

North America that allocates IP numbers within North America and some Caribbean countries.

And so my question at this point was whether or not people thought it was a good idea to establish an ongoing informal but semi-permanent relationship with ARIN and at least start off by having a Q&A session so that people who are members of NARALO and ALS representatives but are not familiar with this corner of ICANN's operations could become familiarized with it. Thanks.

GARTH BRUEN: Evan, there seem to be some folks on the thread who thought that it was none of our business. What would your response be to that?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Simply that the second "N" in ICANN is numbers, so that is... To me the numbering part of ICANN is absolutely relevant to us. It doesn't get a lot of attention because all the money is over where the names are but numbering issues and policies are part of ICANN's remit although it's far more decentralized perhaps than the names. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Avri has her hand up. Avri?

AVRI DORIA: Hi, I didn't mean to cut off Evan. Well, assuming that I have now cut off Evan I really wanted to go further on what he was saying and it's sort of what I put in the chat.

GARTH BRUEN: This is Garth. I thought Evan was done. Is that pretty much it, is that a summary of what you wanted to discuss, Avri, was what you put in the chat?

AVRI DORIA: Yes. I don't need to speak.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, thank you. Given that there are opportunities for community input and discussion on the RIRs – I know that you can sign up for lists and become a member. I don't know too much more than that at the moment but I guess we should be looking into it. Okay.

Seeing as how we're getting close to the end of the hour I do want to allow anybody else to bring up any other business if they have any other business, and maybe in particular any of the items that we have listed in Any Other Business. Olivier, you have your hand up, please, and then Joly.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Garth, just one last word on this issue of numbering. Yes, the second "N" in ICANN is numbers; however, the policy development process that deals with numbers is actually done by the Regional Internet Registries. So if one wanted to take part in this you could actually, and in fact it is free if you wish to join the ARIN PPML which is the public policy mailing list – you can take part in the ARIN PPML and you can coast and read it. I know that some people who are

in NARALO do read it and also occasionally take part in the discussions that are on there.

Going any further to try and influence things, that's another question. That's something which the ALAC itself might wish to discuss with meetings with the ASO, the Address Supporting Organization in the Beijing meeting. And if you do believe that the ALAC should meet with the ASO then make a request and we can try and see if we can meet in Beijing. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Joly, you have your hand up and I think there was a question in the chat for Olivier, but I'll let Joly speak first.

JOLY MCFIE: Just to say that you know, I've webcast a couple of ARIN meetings and they're very keen to involve more people in their policy development process. I think the [truth in handling it] is they're very happy to make a presentation to us but I might be interested to hear from Olivier if there's any further thinking on what our role should be as a group.

GARTH BRUEN: Yeah, that's actually – thank you, Joly, that's actually fascinating. They do have regional meetings like ARIN has meetings, and I wonder if this is something that can be woven into our outside-of-ICANN outreach for the group. Olivier, you have your hand up, please.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Garth. This is sort of getting the RALOs to work with their local RIRs is something which we have been discussing in past ICANN meetings with the ASO when John Curran was the part of the ASO that was dealing with the RIRs. The other part of the ASO is the ASO Address Council and that's Louie Lee. Now, Louie Lee is still in place; John Curran has been replaced. I don't have the name of his replacement at hand and it might be worth speaking to him.

It is worth noting that in Latin American and Caribbean Region, LACNIC has been very close to LACRALO; has actually invited LACRALO people, sponsored them to LACNIC meetings and so there has been a very good collaboration going on there. And it is something which I would really, really like to happen in all of the RALOs and therefore I think it would be really great if NARALO could have bilateral links with ARIN and have better links with them and perhaps even be sponsored by them to go to meetings and conferences, etc. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, this is Garth and this is an area, too, for further exploration. Joly, you still have your hand up. Did you have another comment? No, I don't think he did.

One other thing for any other business, there is an article on CircleID that was authored by one of our ALAC members from Asia-Pacific, Sala, and it's on the Cyber Security Bill – it might be an interesting read for everybody. There are a couple of other items concerning the ICT and indigenous communities and some other comments that people had posted to the list over the month that may be of interest.

Now, just one thing before we wrap up in terms of daylight savings time. Under action items there's a very lengthy description that I put in about what we're actually talking about, and just so everybody knows the actual clock time locally for this call next month will not change. In the past it had changed and I think it caused a bit of confusion. What is going to change is the actual UTC time – that means that UTC, this call usually occurs at 20:00 UTC and then it's going to be at 19:00 UTC starting in March until the end of daylight savings time.

But for most of us, on the East Coast it will be 3:00 PM still. On the West Coast it will be noon still. So I think everybody gets it and hopefully we will see everybody on the call next month. And if anybody has any further comments... Thank you for keeping the call on time and I will be in touch, thank you very much.

[End of Transcript]