

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Alright, I think we can get going then. So good morning, good afternoon and good evening, everyone. This is the ALAC Subcommittee on Finance and Budget call on the 24th of January, 2013. The time is 17:01 UTC. Welcome, everybody. This is our first meeting in a long time and certainly the first meeting of the year.

So we'll start immediately. Well, let's do a roll call and then I'll explain how this call is going to take place and what we're going to discuss. Gisella?

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, Olivier – Gisella for the transcript. Welcome everyone on today's call. We have Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Allan Skuce, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Roberto Gaetano, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Yulia Morenets, Eduardo Diaz, Darlene Thompson, YJ Park. Apologies noted from Wolf Ludwig, Holly Raiche, and Cintra Sooknanan.

From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, and myself, Gisella Gruber. Fatimata Seye Sylla will be joining us in approximately five minutes. And if I could also please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes. Also, a transcript of this call will be available to everyone on the meeting Wiki page within the next 48 hours. Thank you, Olivier, over to you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Gisella, and have we missed anyone in the roll call by any chance? I see no one jumping up and down. So okay,

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

welcome everybody to this first call which is going to look at the new budget process. For those of you who are newcomers to this Committee, this is a particularly important Subcommittee of... It used to be called the "ALAC" but I guess it is the "At-Large" since we do have non-ALAC people on this Subcommittee.

The importance of this Subcommittee is very high because without any funding for our activities that we wish to do both in-house and also outside – so face-to-face activities or any projects we might have – we need to get funded. And this Subcommittee is the Subcommittee that effectively manages to put together the paperwork and the demands and requests both by channeling local requests from Regional At-Large Organizations but also making its own requests in order to be able to obtain that budget. Without budget we can't do anything, and you might have heard on many occasions in the past that there was no funding to do such and such a thing – and that's because the budget was never asked.

The way that the budget works is by fiscal year or financial year, thus called "FY." So we're now in FY14. FY14 will start on the 1st of July, 2013 – it is a little strange. We always look one year in advance. At the moment we are in FY13 which will end at the end of June, 2013. The Finance and Budget Subcommittee interfaces with the Finance Department on one side, and that's Xavier Calvez and his crew; but also with the Committee on the Board, the Board Finance Committee – the BFC – which is Chaired by Cherine Chalaby and is the part of the Board that effectively does the same thing that we do but they actually do more since they're the ones that decide on whether things get funded or not.

So we have these sort of two parts of the world of ICANN that we need to interface with. And of course we need to interface in our own community with all of the people in the RALOs that will deal with the putting together of the financial requests and I guess that the better a job we do the more requests we manage to actually have allocated and have funding for, which is great. This year we've managed to have a General Assembly to be done, so in this fiscal year we've managed to have a General Assembly for EURALO; also a General Assembly and face-to-face meeting for APRALO; and also one for NARALO. So it's been very, very positive, although let me just think... Yes, NARALO was this year as well, yeah. So it's been pretty good.

We now have of course, as every year, some changes over last year that the Finance Department have brought in. So the first thing I think we'll do in this call is for Tijani Ben Jemaa, who is the Vice-Chair of this Subcommittee and who has been following very closely all of the Finance Department's changes to the process and to the way things will be done next year. So Tijani will be talking to us about that and will be presenting to us the presentation that was given just a few days ago by the Finance Department to the Chairs or the people in charge of finance for the different Supporting Organizations and Advisory Committees.

And then afterwards I'll be speaking a little more about our own special requests and the Advisory Committee requests that are made; and then afterwards we'll do a next steps and find out when we go ahead for our next call. If you have any questions just on the process or on today's call then put your hand up; otherwise we can move forward with Tijani. Any questions? Anything to add? So no hands up at the moment, so

Tijani, I guess that the floor is yours and you can go ahead with the presentation.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Okay. Okay, thank you, thank you Olivier. As you know, as I have explained in one of the ALAC calls the Finance Department has presented the process for the FY14 Budget. And for this year it has been changed a little bit because normally the Finance Department prepares a framework and then puts it for the public comment, and according to those comments they prepare the budget details and the operating plan.

This year it will be different because as you know the new management brings a new view of the operations, of the activities, etc., and the Finance Department decided to make more or less a transposition. They decided to prepare an FY13, which is already done, but a portfolio according to the view of the new management so that they will see how to prepare and how to plan FY14 according to this new view. And then they will go directly to the budget and operating plan development without going to the framework.

We have here on the presentation a table on which we have the process with the timeline and unfortunately for the last call I wasn't called before twenty minutes after the beginning of the teleconference, so I didn't [finish] the first part of it. But I can tell you generally that the planning was as I told you it will be, the FY13 portfolio preparation and then a review; and then they go to the FY14 budget development. And we can see that on the table here with the beginning and finish times, where we have the first part which is already finished. We are now in

the second part, and the most important part that is interesting for us is the community requests, the community special requests or community additional requests for budget. And this part I attended very well.

So the innovation this year is that we'll have a fast track, a fast track community request treatment because it was ALAC who requested for that because we have some activities that start around October/November. So if we will wait until the finalization of the budget we cannot make decisions on whether we will do or not because we have commitments with other parties to implement those activities. And Xavier listened to us. He decided to find a solution and he found that we can go through a fast track.

So now we have two tracks, two ways to do it. If we have our activities happening very, very early in the FY14 we need to go through the fast track, and in this case we have to submit our requests before 22 of March. But if it is not very urgent we can go through the normal process, the normal track, and it will end on 19 of April. I find it very interesting because before we were suffering of that – Olivier remembers very well. And I think this is a good thing from the Finance Department. They are listening to us.

But there is a problem that they didn't listen to us on it, which was the multi-year activities. We spoke about that since FY12 and we repeated it in FY13 but they didn't propose it here in this process. Why I'm speaking about the multi-year is because our Summit is a multi-year activity. If we request one year the budget for a Summit it will be too much and it will be probably not accepted. But if we propose it as a multi-year we can foresee the Summit, the date of the Summit and

begin to plan it years before so that the money will be accumulated and we will have the money at the right moment for the Summit. But never mind, it wasn't implemented here.

So I will go directly to the community special requests or community additional requests, which is the most important thing for us. Okay. So we have here two (inaudible), one process for the FY14 special community budget requests step-by-step process and it's very well detailed. I don't think that it needs any explanation; it's perfectly detailed and I am ready to answer any questions. I will not read it. If you want me to read it I don't mind but I don't think it is necessary.

And the second table will be...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Tijani, if I can interrupt you...

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: So we have the dates, we have the responsibilities, the description, etc. We have also the template; it is almost the same as last year's template for the requests and we have also metrics for the community requests. It is not really metrics; it is a sample of the last year's approved budget and we have all the elements of the judgment if you want. And we have also the evaluation, the evaluation sheet that we discussed last year. And it is the same thing (inaudible).

So if you have any question I am ready to answer it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Tijani, I'm really sorry, it's Olivier here. We are not seeing the page that you are on so we have no idea what page you were talking about – at least I don't have any page that's currently showing. The Introduction Session Guidelines, you should have brought us to the page you wanted because at the moment it's not helpful. Sorry.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: One moment.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Olivier, this is Heidi. You also have the ability to move the slides.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, but I don't know what slide to move it to. That's the problem.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, okay.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: If I knew I would be happy to but I don't. [laughing]

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Olivier, there is the page that Matt prepared and Heidi completed on which you have all the links to all the documents I am talking about.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, yeah, this is Heidi. That's the FY14 At-Large Budget Development Process. Gisella, can you please post that? My AC room is frozen again.

It's on the agenda and I've put that into the chat as well, so it's above. If you scroll up above in the chat it's there.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: If you want the link I can put it on the chat.

GISELLA GRUBER: Tijani, I've already put it on the chat.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, one moment.

GISELLA GRUBER: I have put it in the chat. Can everyone see it? Can anyone hear me?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, Gisella, this is Heidi. We can hear you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: We can hear you but what I don't understand at the moment, you're showing Budget Development Workspace and then what?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: There is links.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, so go ahead Tijani. We have links to many different documents and you're going to have to take us through them, please.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Exactly, exactly. I will go back and tell you which one you have to click on, one moment. So... We have one which is called FY14 Community Special Budget Request Step-by-Step Process.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I'm not seeing any of these on that page.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I am sorry, I am sorry, one moment. I don't know why you don't have it. This is one that was sent by Janice.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Tijani, this is Heidi. Was it an Excel? Was it a PowerPoint slide? I've posted all the documents that Janice sent except a document that just had the email addresses of some people.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: It's an Excel file.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Again, all of the ones that Janice sent I am quite sure I put onto that FY14 Workspace.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: One moment.

MALE: The link that Eduardo has sent on the chat works and it opens the document that is now on the Adobe. So probably if we all click on that link we will get it.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, it is the first link in the workspace.

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry, Tijani, it's Gisella – At-Large FY14 Special Budget Request which takes you to a Wiki page that [Ava] set up?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. Gisella, that is a template page that the Finance Department has set up. Lower on that page are all of the documents that Janice sent, and in my memory there were two Excel sheets.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: It is FY14 SO/AC/SG Budget Process Version 1.xls.

GISELLA GRUBER: That's correct.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Do we find it?

EDUARDO DIAZ: It is a table, right? This is Eduardo.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, it is an Excel file.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Excel table, alright, I've found it.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: So if you go through it, it is a step-by-step process for the additional requests for the community. It is very well explained.

GISELLA GRUBER: Tijani, Gisella here. I have put it on the Adobe Connect.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, Gisella, very well. Very well, yes, here it is.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: So Tijani, it's Olivier here. Can you please take us through this briefly?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, very well. So we have the [pre-cost] step, so the ICANN Finance team has published it someplace – it is already published. And you have it, it is one of the links on the workspace, the template for additional

requests. You can click on it. You will have the template. It's almost the same template of FY13.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I'm sorry, Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Go ahead, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, can you tell me in the spreadsheet which line number you are referring to?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: In the Excel file?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yeah, in the Excel file.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay, so it is the first step which is FY14 SO and AC Special Budget Kickoff Submission Window Open, and you have your date here. And then you have your steps, the Finance publishes the template; and then they sent an email to the SO and AC leaders. We had a conference call last week. This is the first part.

The second step is the submission of the requests. It has to be done by email to the controller@icann.org. So we have to complete, to fill in the template very carefully. We have to fill every field and then we have to submit it before the 19th of April. But if we want to go through the fast track we have to submit it before the 22nd of March.

So then this is a step for the staff, for ICANN Finance. They will follow the Controller's mailbox and they will retrieve the requests. They will review for completeness and then they will notify the requestor with a complete application. Everything is with times of when it will be done, etc.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Tijani, I have a question. This is Eduardo.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, please.

EDUARDO DIAZ: How do we know if we need to get into a fast track? What defines that? What depends or how we will know that we have to go into the fast track?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, Eduardo, if your activity, if your project would start around October/November you have to go through the fast track. If it will start later you may go through the normal track.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: The fast track is done to make it possible for people who have activities earlier in the year to have their requests addressed on time.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. So the next step is a fast track request, so that is only to explain the fast track – the deadline for submission and etc., etc. And then the step after is the regular track, so it is an explanation of the fast track and the regular track. And then the public comment: when it is published, when it is sent to the Controller they will review it and they will tell you if it is not complete, if they have questions and you will reply to complete your application. And once all this is done the Finance will do an evaluation. There will be an evaluation team on the Finance staff and they will make recommendations to the Board, and they will publish the requests for FY14 for public comment.

And then the Board will review that and decide on it. This is the whole process and it is well-detailed. I am ready to answer any questions you want. Is it clear, Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Tijani. Yes, it is clear. I just noticed though that I think this document is... I'm not sure whether this has been [unsent]. Is everybody able to scroll through this document?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No, I gave them the link. I gave them the link, Olivier. They have-

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: But not everyone, Tijani, is able to do the link and we have also a presentation window on the Adobe Connect and I noticed that you could also have the same... Yeah, everyone can scroll, okay, that's fine. All of that was actually available in the presentation which we have on there to start with.

So any questions from anyone on the process at the moment? I think it's quite clear. I think what we need to think of are two things. We're not going to have just one round of SO and AC requests. It looks like we'll have two rounds with anything that needs to be done that we have to bid for, for events that need to take place in August, that would take place in July which is a problem, or which was a problem because sometimes it requires advanced notice – then these will be going through a fast track. Anything that is for the second half of the year will go through the standard track. It's just a 50/50 effectively on all of the requests.

But that does mean that we have to start the ball rolling pretty quickly if we want to have the fast track requests with an earlier implementation. If we have anything over the summer we need to start the ball rolling as

soon as possible since we need to have those requests done by the 22nd of March, which gives us two months exactly.

Now, there was a question as to how the requests work. For those of you who weren't here with us last year, what we usually do is to ask our RALOs to ask their ALSes to come up with proposals and then the RALOs would put together the proposal and fill up the template, which is distributed and which we have on that FY page. And so they fill out the templates, and then this Committee in past years has just passed those requests over to the Finance Department, sort of just packaged it up effectively and then passed it on.

However, I do think that this year we need to exercise a little bit more restraint for several reasons, the first one being that many of our requests have been granted last year and we need to, as the Committee we need to make sure that the requests are following the overall calendar that we had forwarded last year for requests sent for General Assemblies, for example, so that a RALO would not have two meetings in succession where they would have a General Assembly because of the very fact that we have spoken to the Finance Department with regards to having a Summit – and that's the other thing that I will touch on in a moment.

So the FY14 budget requests would need to fall in line with the schedule that we had put together last year. So that's one thing. Any other questions? Eduardo?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Can we add a link to that document, the one that you just mentioned – the schedule that was put out last year just to have it as a reference?
Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah sure. In fact...

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: The template? We have a link to the template in the workspace.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: We have a link to the roadmap?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No, no, he's speaking about the template, the request template.

EDUARDO DIAZ: No, I'm asking about the schedule that was put last year that Olivier just mentioned – this is Eduardo.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: So the schedule last year I've just put in the chat. This is an older version which actually fits on the Wiki page, but this was the original schedule that we had. And if you look at that schedule we were looking at having FY13, so something going on in Toronto, then Asia-Pacific, something going on, yes; and then the African one, nothing going on but EuroDIG was also provided. So EURALO was provided \$22,000 for

EuroDIG 13. You've got that page? We're looking at FY13 at the moment.

And therefore, what we were looking at then was FY14, and then FY15 and FY16, having the Summit in FY16 with effectively two years – '14 and '15 – without anything. However, there is a change now because all of this scheduling was done in the past before the change of leadership of ICANN. So there's going to be a change with regards to that and that's probably what I'll be speaking about myself a little bit later in this call. But I just wanted to respond to your questions here and for Tijani to be able to respond to any questions regarding the processes. Tijani, your hand is up?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No, it was a mistake, thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you. Any other questions from anyone on the process itself? Eduardo, your hand is up again?

EDUARDO DIAZ: This is Eduardo. I just want to make a suggestion that the link that you put in the chat, that that gets added to the Wiki, the FY14 Budget Development Wiki, that it's there. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Good point, Eduardo. We'll get that and maybe we can say that it is obsolete unfortunately because of the changes.

EDUARDO DIAZ: That's okay, at least we'll have something to look at.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: So the reason why Tijani had mentioned a multi-year budget was because in the past we had been told that the sum which was evaluated for the Summit was \$700,000 or more and this was seen to be excessive for a single year. So that's why we had provided the Finance Department with this calendar showing that we could actually spread that cost over several years.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Eduardo, you have a link in the workspace named At-Large FY14 Budget Development Workspace, and there you will have normally the information you will need.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you – this is Eduardo.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. I was going to ask Cheryl if she had any specific questions since she has been part of many different budget cycles, and wondered whether she thought the process was vastly different than the past?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Am I unmuted?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: No, you're not muted.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: No, you're not muted, you are not.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay. My concern is... Well the timing is obviously different but the process is something that we certainly have run through before. The issue is getting the RALOs' feedback and requests in in a timely manner, and I haven't certainly seen anything much in this way in the list.

So my only concern is that we make it very, very clear with this new fast track capability that very careful choices are made by the regions and that the regions consider... For example, I'm thinking as we've done before with requests in the Asia-Pacific region when we have our regional IGF – now that tends to run, and I can give you the specific dates but certainly at a time which would mean any such consideration for some sort of travel support for anyone to attend and be part of an outreach in the community into that area, possibly as a part of a wider ICANN team, would have to be done in a fast track. And that's very new. So that's the only thing that flares up to me at the moment.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you very much, Cheryl. I think that the way we will have to market this over to our RALOs is if they're basically given two deadlines – if their request is for an activity that will be before October, 2014, they need to have a deadline well before April 19th. So we will have to set a

date by which we want that deadline to be. And for any requests that are after that we could provide a second deadline.

That will also allow us more time. Instead of having ten requests to deal with simultaneously by a short deadline we will have a little more time to treat the second part of the requests, the non-fast track requests. A little time – I know time flies very quickly anyway but this is the sort of way that I see it. Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Yes, thank you. First of all for those who have activities before November have to apply on the fast track. Second point, as you said Olivier, we are planning to have a Summit this year, FY14. And we need to be very careful, we need to be reasonable if you want. We cannot ask for \$700,000 and at the same time ask for a lot of activities for At-Large. So I think that we have to do a call for all of the (inaudible) if you want for the regional leadership and to explain them the problematic so that people will apply reasonably for an additional request, for additional funding. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

That's a good point, Tijani – it's Olivier for the transcript. The Summit request which you've mentioned actually is one which I haven't shared yet. So here's the state of play at the moment. As you will have seen from that page which I said, the Events Roadmap workspace, we were going to push for a Summit to take place in FY16. However, several factors including the change in leadership, including the fact that we have had the World Conference on International Telecommunications

pass by just now putting a spotlight on the multi-stakeholder model and on the work of ICANN, and on the work of all the multi-stakeholder systems at the moment, there is a chance that we might be able to push this Summit closer – closer as in in this fiscal year, in FY14.

So we would then be, and I have already worked and Tijani has worked, a number of us have worked with staff to try to get a better picture, a better idea of how, when, how much, where. And it looks as though the possibility would be to hold the Summit for a pretty sizable sum, I think it's about \$750,000 or so, in London during the London meeting, which is the third meeting of the year that would take place I believe in October or November. So this is why Tijani mentioned that if we are going to ask for a Summit, which is \$700,000 and more then we would really have to be a lot tighter on the other requests we would ask, because one has to really think quite carefully about the optics of At-Large monopolizing the ICANN budget.

Now that said, in the budget for outreach and the budget for all sorts of things – the way that budgets have worked so far, it all comes into SO and AC budget requests. And of course every Supporting Organization, every Advisory Committee, everyone in ICANN looks at what the neighbor is getting; and our neighbors are seeing that we're getting a lot plus more and we have to be quite careful about that. Tijani, you've put your hand up.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Yes, thank you. Olivier, another reason for not asking for several activities for the next fiscal year is that if we have the Summit we will have the chance to have all the ALSes' representatives present in

London and in this case we can do General Assemblies for all the RALOs. Each RALO can do its own General Assembly. We will have the chance also perhaps to do capacity building for any RALO or for perhaps all the RALOs early in the morning. So we have all the possibilities to make all the activities that we are always requesting money for. I think that it is a very good opportunity to have the Summit so we need to be reasonable. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Tijani. Yeah, that's absolutely correct. Now that said, there is also a concern that I do have which is that, for example, we had some activities that took place outside the ICANN walls – such as, for example, the funding of some people to go to the IGF and of some workshops to be done at IGF. I think that this engagement of the community with the overall internet community outside the walls of ICANN was also very positive indeed and I would be concerned if we were to nix all of the requests for workshops at IGF which I think might be some of the main requests that will come over to us for the next IGF that will take place in Indonesia. I'd be worried if we were to nix all of those requests and put all of our eggs into the basket of the Summit.

I wonder what the feeling is here about this. Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, I have another view, Olivier. I think that for the next IGF we need to convince the ICANN management that the participation of ICANN should be programmed as a whole. And inside this participation we will include our workshops. This is the best way, because the experience of

Baku was very how to say... People were convinced that it was a very positive action and it wasn't well-prepared in advance. It wasn't well coordinated, and for the next IGF I think that we have to coordinate it very well and we have to do it as a whole activity of ICANN. It is the participation of ICANN in the IGF and in this participation there is the management, there is the staff and there is also the community.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you Tijani. Fatimata, welcome.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: My line was muted, sorry. Hello everybody. Olivier, yeah, I don't understand why it should be a problem to ask for support to attend IGF, to organize something at IGF. And why do we have to link it to the Summit? Is that what you were saying? For me, the IGF is something important for ICANN and I thought that we already won that battle. Or am I wrong thinking that we already won that battle? Now with the new CEO there's a lot more importance given to the IGF than before, and for me we should still keep on pressing for support to organize something in the IGF.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thank you Fatimata. My question was specifically about this, and you say that we have already won that battle – I am not quite sure yet whether we have or we have not. I don't know whether you have been given any feedback that what has happened in Baku this year will be repeated, whether you have a guarantee that it will be repeated next year and in successive years. I do know that the activities that

happened this year were very positive and I know that we also have a positive ear in the ear of the CEO and in the ear of I would think the Global Partnerships Vice President Sally Costerton who I have met in London a couple of weeks ago.

So that's one thing, but until we actually have it in our hands that we will be funded in the future for something such as what's happened at IGF this year I don't think that we can take that for granted. Similarly speaking, I don't think that we can take the Summit for granted either. To that extent I am working at the moment with Sebastien Bachollet who's the Chair of the Public Participation Committee as well, and Sally Costerton; and I know that Heidi is going to meet with them at the end of this month in Los Angeles so as to discuss the process forward to be able to ask for this amount and basically prepare the budget for this, and have this approved.

I know that we have, I would probably say a majority of the Board, because ultimately it is the Board that will have to approve this. The majority of the Board will approve that, yet I am still concerned about the size of the sum itself, the budget itself. I don't know, we haven't heard yet from the Finance Department whether the ICANN budget will grow in this department and by how much the ICANN budget will grow in this department – unless I've missed that, Tijani, you correct me if I'm wrong.

But so since we don't know the overall envelope at the end, the only thing that we do know is that the financing for this activity, so for the Summit, would probably be shown as a separate entity, as a special project. But it would still appear in the overall budget when the overall

budget goes for comment in the public comment. And it could be shot down by the public comment if there's overwhelming opposition to it, and as you all know in ICANN nothing is in your hand until you actually have it in your hand. And sometimes things defy logic altogether.

So that's the current position. Now, I would be delighted if we could both have the Summit agreed plus agreement on some other projects, such as the IGF. I would even say I would be disappointed if we had to choose between one and the other, just in the same way as I was disappointed in the past when we were told "You can either have a local Summit but not have any regional representatives join at the normal ICANN meeting, and just have an ICANN meeting with the ALAC members and no one else" – when we were given tough choices where you would effectively have the arms but not the legs or the legs but not the arms, terrible.

So this is where we are today. And Tijani, you've put your hand up?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Yes, thank you Olivier. I don't know if we can have now a formal request for the next IGF, if we can propose that the participation of ICANN will be organized as a whole with the community inside – with our workshops inside, so that we will not put them inside the community requests. An answer to your question, the overall envelope for the community requests is \$500,000 as last year. But they said that it can be augmented if necessary. So you know the average for the whole community – it's not for us, it's for the whole community.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: But Tijani, it's Olivier here. Since this is the official line at the moment, but the request for the Summit would come from an additional envelope. It would not come from this specific \$500,000 envelope which is the standard for the time being. What's on the table at the moment, the discussion that's on the table at the moment is to have a special projects envelope that would be allocated to the Summit.

And it might well be that the Summit is not only a Summit involving At-Large Structures but it might actually be a Summit that takes another part, with maybe other members of the community in other ACs and other SOs. It's still very much a big question mark at the moment and it will be discussed at the end of the month in Los Angeles. Tijani, yes ,you were about to continue?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, that's why I said that we need to have a formal action now to have the temperature, because if the management thinks that it is possible to organize our workshops inside the participation of ICANN, out of the community requests, and if we have the temperature of the possibility to organize the Summit we will be better informed about our requests – about what we need to put in our requests this year.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, so Tijani, thank you – it's Olivier for the transcript. What I suggest then is that we task Heidi to take the temperature when that meeting takes place at the end of the month, because at the moment the temperature is known since there has been no question. Well, there's been no discussion about it. So I would suggest that the temperature

would have to be taken at the end of the month once things have taken place over in Los Angeles. Is that working? Is that workable?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I think so.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Olivier, I have a question.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Eduardo, please go ahead.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, the concern that you have that other SOs or other (inaudible) look at this huge volume we've made of requests, is this something that you have talked to other people about or is it your personal feeling? I'm just curious.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Sorry, Eduardo, I didn't hear the question so well – the last part of the question was mumbled.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. My question is, the things that you said about the other organizations within ICANN – if we request this amount of money for the Summit, the feelings that you just mentioned before about other organizations looking at us as always requesting such an amount of money; is this something based on your professional experience or you

have talked to other people about this? I'm just curious because if you have chatted about this with other people who have a different perspective or if it comes from your personal experience – that's what I want to say, thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you Eduardo, it's Olivier for the transcript. Yes, the feedback that was received on last year's request came into... Let's say it was informal and it came from discussions when meeting with other SO and AC chairs, with the sentence being said "Oh well, At-Large really knows how to spend our money," [laughing] and "You just have to look at the SO and AC requests and you'll find out At-Large is the best part of ICANN to spend money. That's what they love doing best."

Now that was said as a joke but at the same time it is something that is being said, you know, as a typical joke on ALAC and on At-Large. And it's all part of the same saying that some are pushing, that is the registrars and registries are bringing in the money and everyone else is spending it. It's certainly not a great sense of humor, well...

EDUARDO DIAZ: I understand that. [laughing]

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: But you know that there is no smoke without fire and yes, we have been accused of spending and not bringing any money in. There's even been some question marks as to why we are the only part of ICANN that has the beautiful ICANN-funded dancing and singing and food and so on

when we speak about our Showcases, and I've had to explain to those people asking questions that this money actually came directly from sponsors and that the money from sponsors was used for that, not money that ICANN was paying for.

But this is how petty the questions come and how granular people get with regards to funding because they always have this feeling that if you're getting the funding it's because they didn't get the funding themselves.

EDUARDO DIAZ: It's funny the way they think because the registrars bring money to ICANN but we as users are the ones that are providing that money, so you know, it's like in a circle. Anyhow...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I think it's been now twelve years since this debate has gone on and it probably will last another twelve years or more.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, thank you. Thank you for your answer.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: It's okay Eduardo, thank you. So we've reached the end of this first hour. This call is only an hour long I believe, if I have it correctly... That's correct, yes.

So now we have to really look at the next steps. So I think that this call really was meant to bring you all up to date as to what the process is

and how we're moving forward. The first thing that we really need to do is for us to study the actual templates that have been shared with us. There's one thing which Tijani did not touch on. There is the workspace which we have created under our own flag, the At-Large FY14 Budget Development Workspace.

There has also been another workspace which is the At-Large Events... No, it's not this one, sorry. It is the, here we go – the At-Large FY14 Special Budget Requests. That is the workspace. So the Special Budget Request is a workspace that is under the Finance Department, and this is where we will have to put our budget requests, there. What I suggest is that we use our own workspace as a sandbox where we build all of our requests, and that only when our requests are ready we then pass on these requests and put them into the actual Finance and Budget space. Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Yes, thank you Olivier. All the requests should be sent to the Controller and not put on the Wiki. They will put it on the Wiki later when they will check the completeness – when it is complete, if it is not completed, etc. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Ah, okay. So Tijani, I did misunderstand that since I was not on the call for as long as you were. So the workspace that is run by Finance will actually hold our requests but it's Finance that will put the requests on there. Is that correct, Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Any requests should be sent to the email, yes. Any requests should be sent to the email put on the table I showed. It is controller@icann.org.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, perfect, thank you – it's Olivier for the transcript. So now this is clear. We have our own sandbox and what we will do then is I think we have to familiarize ourselves, all of us on this Committee, familiarize ourselves within the next week or so with all of the different paperwork that is there, the template in particular; and then launch the request cycle with our RALOs as soon as possible. Perhaps, and this is a suggestion and I'd like to obtain the temperature of the room here – should we have a call? Should we table a call with our RALO leaders because I gather that it's the RALO leaders that will build their region's requests?

I see a yes from Dev, a yes from Eduardo, a yes from Roberto, a yes from Allan Skuce, and Tijani, you have your hand up.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, a yes from me but I want to say that this is the first step. We need to make this call as soon as possible but not before the meeting in Los Angeles between Sebastien, Heidi and Sally. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Oh, okay. So in which case... Allan, Allan Skuce – you also have your hand up?

ALLAN SKUCE:

No.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

You don't, okay. I see Eduardo has put his hand up.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Yes, I have a question – this is Eduardo. This question is for Tijani: why do you want to wait on this meeting in Los Angeles to happen? Why can we not start sending this information across and educate all the RALOs so that when they are ready to start requesting information at least they know what we are doing? Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you, Eduardo. Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Yes, I am asking for this call because as we explained, as Olivier explained perhaps we will have a possibility to hold a Summit. And inside the Summit a lot of our activities that we always ask for funding for them, these can be done during the Summit. So we don't have to make requests for something that we will have without making the requests. The second point: if we have a good temperature about the Summit we have to tell all the RALOs that we need to be very reasonable and not ask for a lot of things while ICANN will have to pay \$700,000 for it. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you, Tijani. Next is Dev Anand Teelucksingh. Dev?

EDUARDO DIAZ: You're saying "Dev" or "Ed?"

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Dev, Dev Anand. Dev, and I can't hear Dev I'm afraid. While we're trying to figure out Dev's microphone which I can't hear, Eduardo?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes. I understand the call that was suggested by you, Olivier, was just to bring up all the leaders of the RALOs up to the point that they understand this process, not really to start requesting the information. And I think that is where Tijani is coming from when he is suggesting to do this meeting after the one in Los Angeles. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thank you Eduardo, it's Olivier for the transcript. If we look at tabling a call we could have a call either sometime next week, though next week is when the meetings take place; or the week after, the week starting the 4th of February. Does it matter if we have a call on say the 31st of January or the 4th of February? Does it make a big difference? The thing is if we have more information after the meeting that takes place in Los Angeles we would be able to share this information with the RALO Chairs as well, whilst otherwise we would have to leave that information off and then tell them more afterwards either by email or by having a second call with them.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, I agree, thank you. I agree with that, thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, thank you Eduardo. And Heidi has mentioned that the PPC meeting, Public Participation Committee meeting is on the 31st she believes. So we can have the week of the 4th, maybe early on in the week of the 4th of February we could table that call with the RALO Chairs or RALO leadership. And Dev, you wanted to speak earlier?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, and I hope you're hearing me now? Are you hearing me?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: We can hear you now, go ahead. Yes.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, thank you, great. Just a thought from what Eduardo and Tijani said: the budget requests from the RALOs could have a proviso that if the Summit is approved then this budget request could be withdrawn. So we can (inaudible) for both scenarios. So the instructions to the RALOs would be look, work on your budget requests, submit them with the assumption that the Summit will not be approved; but if it is approved you should have in that budget request that proviso that if a Summit is approved then this budget request can be withdrawn. That's it, thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Dev. Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, thank you – Tijani speaking. As you know, we have till 22nd of March to submit a fast track application, a fast track request. So we are not in a hurry, and if we can have information it is better to submit a request when it is needed; and it is better to show wisdom so that people will be more comfortable in approving our request for the Summit. So I do think that we need first, before submitting, before sending any email to the Controller, to coordinate with ALAC. And with the call we are scheduling now, we may be able to give the right information. If not we will explain the procedure, we will tell them to prepare their requests but not send them until we have better information. If we don't have the good information before March 20 we can send our requests. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Tijani, it's Olivier for the transcript. Just for the record I think you mentioned you were meaning to have a call with the RALO leaderships, not with ALAC – with the RALO leaderships is the call that we need.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: The RALO leaderships, yes.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, I think that's it for this call. I don't wish to keep you all over time. We have a plan for the next steps and the next call. There is an AI which is missing there, and there's an AI which is on the list which is not an AI.

AI: “All AC/SO requests are to be sent to the ICANN Controller. ICANN Finance will then place them on the Special Budget Requests Wiki page.” I don’t think that’s an action item, that’s part of the... Thank you. That can be part of the minutes.

On the other hand, an action item is for Heidi to come back to us with an update on the Summit and on the process once this meeting has taken place in Los Angeles. Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Yes, Olivier. Can we add another action item about trying to discuss with the management of ICANN about the next IGF participation so that we will see, we will know if we have to apply inside this slot of additional requests for participation in the IGF or if our participation will be included in the ICANN participation as a whole? Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you, Tijani, that’s a very good point and I think that’s something which can be batched also when Heidi speaks to Sebastien and staff. These two issues are linked as well.

Okay. So thank you very much. “Tijani or OCL, can you please restate that AI?” The AI is for Heidi Ullrich when she speaks to Sebastien and staff on the [atlas] to also find out what the status is with regards to IGF requests.” This year the requests that were made... So full stop, and now my explanation: this year, the requests which were made by our RALOs ended up in a big batch of funding for IGF activities, and that actually included also Board members and other activities taking place. Next year will it be the same thing? Will it be different? Does the At-

Large have to submit specific SO and AC requests to be present at IGF?
That's all.

Then we will be able to pass all of that information over to our RALO
Chairs when we have our call with them. Tijani, quickly? I'd like to
finish this call.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Yes, yes quickly – if we can introduce to them, to the management, the
idea of the whole participation of ICANN including the community. I
think this is a very good thing if we can make them accept it, because it
will be a budget for the IGF – not a budget for the community. Thank
you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much, Tijani, it's Olivier for the transcript. And as far as I
understand the discussions that will take place in Los Angeles are
precisely going to be about some budgets for all of ICANN, for the whole
community and a new strategy with regards to outreach, with regards
to getting everyone involved. I know very little about them at the
moment. I only have seen a few snapshots of it but I'm sure at the
moment Sally's department is working very hard and we will soon have
more information on this – and Heidi will be able to relay that over to
us.

And with this I'd like to end this call. I thank you all for having joined. I
hope it has provided you with more understanding of the process now,
especially with our newcomers. And I understand that some of you will
actually be the relay to your RALO, so it might be that when we have

our next call with the RALO leadership you will have been able to prep them in advance of the call.

I see Heidi frantically typing on the chat... You can ask your question now, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, sorry – just a couple of ideas. If you can confirm those two action items, and my frantic typing is just actually “Should each member of the FBSC also mention the plans and the way forward on each of their monthly RALO calls?”

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Cheryl here, Heidi. That’ll work great if the monthly calls are at the beginning of the month, but if like APRALO they’re at the end of the month that’s too little too late.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Cheryl, sorry – I meant just as the process goes forward should each of the RALOs have this item on their agendas?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Oh yes, during the normal ongoing agenda, absolutely – I agree with you there. And just while I’ve got the microphone, Heidi, in answer to your AI question of the RALO leaders in the week of the 4th of February, just a few more words there: if it’s RALO leaders and/or their delegates in charge of budget requests and planning activities, because some RALOs actually have subcommittees that do that work.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, it's those people who will build the RALO requests, some of whom – it's Olivier here – some of whom who are actually on this call at the moment.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: That is also very true but if you send to a new RALO leader or perhaps an invitation to a RALO leader you may end up with someone who says "Right, my people will have to find out about that," and you've lost time.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Absolutely. Okay, Roberto is still typing and as soon as I see... "Can we say RALO Chairs plus people invited by them?" Yes, yes we can say that. Right, well thank you very much to all of you. It's been I think a good call; I hope it has been. If you have any additional questions don't hesitate to email on the mailing list that we have of course, or email me if you want, or email Tijani or staff. What's important is that we're now aware of what the process is. We have a plan to move forward and we will be able to get the ball rolling as soon as possible with our RALOs and also you are aware that the ball is already rolling with regards to the Summit.

So now that we're in synch I thank you all for this call, and this call is therefore adjourned. Bye-bye.

[End of Transcript]