

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you everyone. We will start the recording now; we'll start the roll call. Welcome to everyone on today's NARALO monthly call on Monday the 10th of December. On today's call we have Garth Bruen, Darlene Thompson, Alan Greenberg, Eduardo Diaz, Allan Skuce, Louis Houle, Eduardo Diaz, Gareth Shearman, Murray McKercher, Glenn McKnight, Gordon Chillcott, Joly MacFie, Tom Löwenhaupt.

We have apologies today noted from Olivier Crépin-Leblond. From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco and myself, Gisella Gruber. I hope I haven't left anyone off the attendees list. And if I could also please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you. Over to you, Garth.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. Welcome everybody and I will turn it right over to Darlene to review the action items from the last call which here says October but it was in fact November. Go ahead, Darlene.

DARLENE THOMPSON: It's hard to believe after all that I don't have it up in front of me yet.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. I thought they were on the... Are they not on the agenda, Garth?

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

GARTH BRUEN: They're on the agenda.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Darlene, can you see those or do you wish staff to go through those?

GARTH BRUEN: I'll be happy to read them. I have them in front of me.

DARLENE THOMPSON: Silvia, could you read those please?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Sure, no problem. Let me open the link.

DARLENE THOMPSON: I'm so sorry. I just can't get into my email right now and that's where it all is.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Darlene, I'm going to ping you the agenda and you'll see those but Silvia is going to be reading those in just a moment.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Action items posting of the NARALO monthly reports; then recognizing ICANN organizational changes by new CEO.

GARTH BRUEN: Silvia, this is Garth. I'm sorry. I don't know if that's the current agenda.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Let me go ahead and read those to you. Sorry everyone.

SILVIA VIVANCO: This is not the one. Sorry.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. So the first one is Eric Brunner-Williams suggested or recommended that we use contrasting on call agendas.

GARTH BRUEN: This is Garth. I was hoping to get some more clarification from Eric what he was talking about but I haven't heard back from him and he's not on the call, so we can just go on to the rest of the items.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Second one is – should these calls always occur at 3:00 Eastern, regardless of Daylight Savings Time?

GARTH BRUEN: Now this is a question I put out there. This is Garth. I'm just going to put my "agree" up and if everybody else wants to put their "agree" or "disagree" on that. So this means that the calls will always happen at 3:00 p.m., regardless of Daylight Savings Time which not everybody observes. Alan, you have your hand up. Please go ahead, Alan. Or did you just do that instead of your check box by mistake maybe? And Alan has changed it to a check box. Okay.

So okay, we'll note that this has been approved and we'll move onto the other items. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry, I was on mute. Third one is staff should review and update the working group's list and status. Garth, I see that you've done a tentative list on today's agenda.

GARTH BRUEN: Right and I'll get to that in detail. Heidi, did you have some kind of update about that? I think some of the issues were about old pages that were still linked or other working groups that were inactive that were still linked?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Oh I see. So I believe that the main working group page is up to date. I'm going to go ahead and post that into the AC room now. I'm pretty sure that they're all either current, active at the moment or they're just not active at the moment. For example, there's a Summit Working

Group that is probably going to be active once the planning for the Summit starts again.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So I'm going to go ahead and put that in in a moment. The fourth action item – staff will assist with processing online application forms for ALSes and individual NARALO members. Now again, Garth, I suspect that you mean this is the NARALO application form. Is that...?

GARTH BRUEN: Absolutely. This is Garth and we had discussed this during the Toronto meeting and I think you had mentioned the name of a person, maybe... I can't recall his name.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Matt can be the liaison for At-Large and I'll let him know that right now.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay thank you. That is it for the outstanding action items and I will go into agenda item No. 3 and this is very, very brief – just a reposting of the Chair's Report from last month. If anybody hasn't read it, please do so and please submit any comments to me that you want to.

In terms of specific Toronto reviews, I have drafted a thank you letter to all of our sponsors that's going to be counter-signed by Olivier and Olivier is a little busy right now so we're not going to go into that in too much detail at the moment.

So we're going to move right onto agenda item 4 which concerns our communications strategy. And as we discussed in the last meeting, our draft document for Communications Strategy has been posted and it's linked within that agenda item which is 4.1. I would encourage everybody to read this and forward me their comments.

Some of you have already commented within the document and if you are able to comment within the document so everybody can see your comment - that would be helpful as well.

In a general item – 4.2 – Requests to Staff – going forward, could you please create the page for the next NARALO teleconference immediately following the current call? This will give us an opportunity to kind of create more continuity and just for me personally not to have to go in and start creating the content for the next call just a few days ahead of time. I can start working on it throughout the month. We'll add that as an action item at the end. I think I've already done that.

Moving very quickly onto agenda item 5 – Our Community. And we have a recruitment sub-committee which has five members and more members are certainly welcome. We will be coordinating the outreach to recruit NARALO members and filling in the little details for our new membership.

For example, Tom and Murray both asked me about how the calls functioned and I think we've discussed previously about having a welcome package which includes information about the Adobe chat rooms; about how to navigate the calls and just some really basic things like that. And these are the kind of things we will be covering in our recruitment development or Communication Strategy.

Also as part of that we are drafting a recruitment letter which has been linked and posted there and your comments are certainly welcome in that area as well.

And very delightfully under 5.2, we have some status updates for new ALS applications. The very first one on the list is Connect NYC which has been approved and I have actually asked Tom to be on the call and to just comment briefly about his ALS. Tom, if you're ready, please go ahead.

TOM LÖWENHAUPT: Yeah, alright thank you. You can hear me alright?

GARTH BRUEN: Yeah.

TOM LÖWENHAUPT: Okay good. We have been in existence for about seven years at this point as an organization and the focus had been up until very recently as an advocate organization encouraging the city of... or most recently I

should say, we've been encouraging the city to develop the .nyc top level domain as a public interest resource.

And we continue to do that and the process is moving ahead with the city having signed an agreement with New Star to develop and market .nyc and we're trying to figure out exactly the role that we will play on a continuing basis.

We were set up as an educational organization and we hope to continue to do so. And as we transition from this advocate to more of an educational organization, we are trying to figure out how the At-Large element fits into that and how the city is actually going to manage its top level domain. And all of those things are in flux at this point.

I think though that the engagement with the ALS and the ICANN will be a benefit to city residents and the details as to how that works, hopefully by the end of this year; early next year will have more of a plan. And that's partially dependent... one of the dependencies is the city's application and how quickly that goes ahead and I'm just wondering if anyone knows how that... that lottery – is that today and is that taking place? I'm on a cell phone, by the way, and I don't really have access.

GARTH BRUEN:

Staff, do we know the status of the lottery he's talking about? This is Garth.

TOM LÖWENHAUPT:

Does anybody know where .nyc came out? [laughs] I'm sure I'll hear soon but in any case the point being that if it's... we are faced with a political situation here in a sense. But if it's soon, if it's the third quarter of next year as some people have indicated or the fourth quarter of next year, then the current administration will be interested.

Should we pick a low number or a high number or whatever, a distant number in that lottery, the chances are there'll be very little interest on the part of this administration and the following administration – we have general elections next year in New York City. So whether we're dealing with the Bloomberg administration or the next one, we're unsure, so we're holding our breath on that one.

My hope is that it's more distant so that the city can better prepare for the process and that we can prepare also to introduce the world to the world of TLDs and ICANN and the like.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you very much, Tom. That's fantastic. Now, Tom, we have a question from the group. How would somebody get more information about your organization specifically, like a URL? Where should they go for more information and Heidi actually posted at ConnectingNYC.org – correct?

TOM LÖWENHAUPT:

ConnectingNYC.org would be the best and that's one of the things that is in transition. As you go there, you'll see that it's mostly in the

advocacy mode and contracts have been signed; it's way out of date and we're in the process of figuring out.

Right on that page one of the things we wanted to use is something about ALAC should be on that page and there's nothing at this point. So we're trying to figure out our role in the future. So it's a good page though if you want to know about city TLDs and especially .nyc. The Wiki and the blog are great places to go.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you, Tom. I want to recognize Joly who has his hand up please.

JOLY MACFIE:

I just wanted to say that I've worked with Tom for a long time and he's very conscientious and single-minded on the subject and he's a great addition to the NARALO. On the .nyc are two things. One of the champions within the city has been Gail Brewer whose on the City Council and her term also ends at the end of next year and in the public hearings she had two of the public hearings on the use of the TLD which is something we're going to follow up on.

And I spoke to her just a few days ago and she said that when her term is up, she's planning to run for Manhattan Borough President, so she has a fair chance at the job so we still will have someone in there with our interests at heart.

And also Ken Hanson who is the General Manager of the TLD for New Star attended Tom's meetings and he's reached out. And so we have (inaudible) that I can see, so things don't look all the way bad.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you, Joly. This is Garth. Quick question for Joly or Tom. You mentioned end of terms – you have term limits in New York City?

TOM LÖWENHAUPT: Yes, we do.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. For mayor as well?

TOM LÖWENHAUPT: For mayor and City Council. All city-wide officials – the five borough Presidents, the Controller, Council members and the Mayor and a lot of them are (inaudible), especially the Mayor.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you very much.

JOLY MACFIE: The Mayor had it extended last time but he can't get it extended again. He's likely Mayor for life.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, our other new ALS is the Nova Scotia Community Access Program. Welcome, welcome, welcome. Dana could not make the call but I am leaning on him to give an introduction to himself and his organization next week just like Tom did. And then onto our third application which is still somewhat up in the air. Does staff have any updates or does anybody from ALAC have any updates on the UCPSAR?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Hi, Garth, this is Heidi. I need to follow up on that; apologies for that. I know that Alan has made some comments. Let me just go talk to Legal and we can follow up and move forward with that quickly.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, I've actually specifically stayed out of the debate for this cause I want it to play out because apparently this is a policy issue, an interpretation concerning our rules. And if nobody else has any comments on it at this time, we can move on. Very quick question for staff – do we have any unaffiliated requests since the last call?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sylvia, do you have any additional ones?

SILVIA VIVANCO: No. No unaffiliated requests.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. Next item – 5.4 in terms of reviewing our participation and working group participation – immediately before the call, Heidi informed me that we have the need for two members to the Finance and Budget Subcommittee. Gareth - thank you very much for your service – is stepping down and Ganesh stepped down previously. So I believe there are two open slots and maybe Heidi could give just a brief overview of what the FBSC does.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes thank you very much. This is Heidi. The ALAC Subcommittee on Finance and Budget primarily works on the fiscal year budget requests – ACSO budget requests – with ALAC. So members would be firstly I would think from each region would be working on the various AC budget requests for this next year, fiscal year '14.

And then as well as looking at them with the ALAC with this group and seeing if everything is in order and then going ahead and submitting them. That's primarily what they do.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Darlene has her hand up. Please go ahead, Darlene.

DARLENE THOMPSON: I would be pleased to volunteer for that working group if you would like.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi again, just quickly, Garth. Darlene, you have been a member of that so basically if you just confirm that you'd like to be – again it's an At-Large. You'd be representing NARALO for an At-Large member but we also need an ALAC member from NARALO as well.

GARTH BRUEN: And I want to note that Allan Skuce has just volunteered – just put his name forward. This is Garth.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay great. This is Heidi. Good, Allan, I will add you right away. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: And Eduardo Diaz has put his hand up. I don't know if Eduardo has put his hand up to talk or if he's volunteering. Please, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I am volunteering.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay perfect. You're an ALAC member; that checks that problem. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: This is Eduardo again. Who is leading that subcommittee?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. The Chair of ALAC leads that; is the Chair of the Subcommittee on Finance and Budget. Tijani from AFRALO is doing a lot of work on that committee as well.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, great, that didn't take too long to find some candidates and if there are no other comments on this particular issue, we'll move forward with...

Last week I put up this chart of working groups and our representatives from NARALO and what I've done this week is I've removed all of the working groups that had I guess adequate representation. So now we can see that what we have left are groups where there isn't a lot of activity and maybe we can figure out ways to get more people involved.

There were also some questions about – and I brought this up with Heidi at the beginning of the call – some groups that may or may not be current. Heidi, do you know off the top of your head if the IRT Process and the ccNSO At-Large Coordination – if those are active groups?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. I'm just looking. They haven't been active in some time. That does not mean that they're closed; it just means that they're not active.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, this is Garth. So for any of our new members or any members who do not see... or see holes in this working group membership and are interested in any of these topics, I would suggest that you review the working group page and figure out a way to get involved. And I see Alan Greenberg has his hand up. Please, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah just to note that I had sent you a list of my working groups but you didn't seem to have added them to this list.

GARTH BRUEN: My apologies, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Do you want me to send it again or do you want to dig it out?

GARTH BRUEN: No, no, that's okay. I don't think it's going to... I still want people to volunteer for working groups. In the next... when I rework this list again for the next call, I will make sure I insert your items.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you.

GISELLA GRUBER: Garth, it's Gisella if I may?

GARTH BRUEN: Please.

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry to interrupt. If you'd like I'll work with you on the cross-community working groups as well. I know that Alan is on quite a few of them and I've just listed another one that he's not on but that probably came though on the list that he sent you. So if you'd like to, as soon as we've got the new page up I'll make sure that we update it.

GARTH BRUEN: That would be fantastic, Gisella. Thank you. And Heidi has her hand up.

ALAN GREENBERG: And my hand's up again.

GARTH BRUEN: And Alan has his hand up.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, Alan, may I just jump in because I'm kind of looking at you right now virtually, okay and if you just keep your hand up for that. [laughs] So since we have so many volunteers for the Finance and Budget Subcommittee, currently they call out only for ALAC members from each of the regions for the ATRT2 Subcommittee.

And now again, Rinalia is going to be leading that and that is going to be looking at criteria and assessing candidates from the ALAC to be sent for the ATRT Review Team 2. And then once those are assessed, then the ALAC will be voting on those and sending them to the people who will be selecting the members of that team.

So again, we have several already volunteers, ALAC members coming in from the other regions but we don't have anyone from ALAC yet from NARALO. So any ALAC member from NARALO, you're welcome to volunteer for this subcommittee. I'm looking at Gordon as well and Evan.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Alan, you had further comments?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, I was just noting that you have a couple of the names wrong and the details wrong. The Thick WHOIS DDP is no longer pending and it's running. The one you have labeled Red Cross IOC is actually an INGO PDP and it is running also now.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Alright, I think that the last time when Evan sent those to me directly I didn't find those in any of the pages. They were pending at the time, so I'll make those adjustments and maybe they have pages out now that we can review.

Okay moving on – 5.5 – ALS Spotlight. We have covered this. Thank you very much to Tom and hopefully we can have Dana from Nova Scotia to give us his round-down next week.

5.6 – Cross-RALO Relations – Now recently, because we all did such a wonderful job in Toronto, we had a request from Holly Raiche on AFRALO from Australia and she was just asking us for some advice about how to run their showcase and how to develop it and how we did it. And they've also been in touch with staff to give them some details.

And I had the thought at the time when we were just giving out some information to Holly that this might be a good standing routine which is to kind of pass the hand back and pass the hand forward where one RALO offers support to the RALO who is going to be conducting the next showcase, going to be hosting the next ICANN meeting.

And then perhaps the next-next RALO can kind of be a sitting member of that committee so they can get a heads-up, they can get an idea of what they should be thinking about going forward.

Like I said, this is just an idea, just something to keep in the back of your head. And this is just one way that we can help people in other regions and they can help us.

5.7 is Statements of Interest and staff sent me a request to submit a Statement of Interest, which I have done and my question for staff is who receives these requests to submit the SOIs? Is it just working group members and elected officers?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

This is Heidi, Garth. Currently it is ALAC members and I believe regional leaders and liaisons. And I think that's going to be extended to the working group Chairs as well, but currently it's just those people.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Thank you very much for that clarification. Onto the big item – No. 6 – Beijing and the Summit. In terms of the Visa information, I received an alert from Travel Constituency about my Visa and the procedures for going forward with that. In terms of clarification from staff, did we ever find out which type of Visa is the one that should be applied for? Is it the educational or the business or what was the...?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi and it's the business Visa. And just confirming, those people who have received messages from Constituency Travel for Beijing travel, is that not stated in your welcome message?

GARTH BRUEN: Alan had his hand up and then he took it away. Has anybody reviewed their request in detail to be able to answer that question? Eduardo, por favor.

EDUARDO DIAZ: This is Eduardo. I'm not sure if I'm answering your question but I have a question about the Visa and maybe you can answer me because I know the suggestion was to get the business Visa. Then there is a table that says one entry, three entries, multiple entries for three months and some months – I'm not sure which one of those to pick. Do you have any suggestions?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, this is Heidi. For staff I believe – and I want to confirm this with Joseph before you do anything – but I think we do the three-month one and that's the issue that we... first step is to apply for a letter from the Organize Committee and then closer to Beijing you apply for the Visa. I'm going to put the link to where you request that letter in the AC room right now. That's the first step. That's what I've been told.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I did request the letter already.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay so I think that's the first step. I would feel more comfortable if you confirmed what I just said with Joseph. If you could just reply to that welcome message for Beijing and confirm that. Okay?

ALAN GREENBERG: It's Alan. I can help with more information on that. In general the multi-trip Visas cost more and you have to have a reasonable expectation of using them, so you wouldn't want to apply for a multi-trip Visa unless there was some real reason you were going to do that.

I think the multi-trip ones certainly apply to business. They may well apply to other things as well so they may be two independent issues. But I've been told several times that it is a business Visa we need to attend a conference. That may change in the future but that's what I've been told so far.

GARTH BRUEN: Evan has his hand up. Please, Evan.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Thanks. I think the only reason that you would want a multiple trip is if, for instance, you're going to Beijing and you're planning a side trip to like Hong Kong or something afterwards and then plan to come back *via* Beijing. Depending on circumstances you might need a Visa doing that.

But if your only purpose is just to get a Visa is go to Beijing and then come back – unless you’re planning to go within the next three months – apparently not needed.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, thank you very much, Evan. Are there anymore comments from staff or anybody else on this particular issue?

TOM LÖWENHAUPT: This is Tom. Sorry to jump in here but I do have to go at this point. I hope to join you in the meetings in the future but I have to plan this properly. So thank you very much for listening to my pitch and I look forward to being (inaudible) henceforth.

GARTH BRUEN: Tom, we really appreciate it. Thank you. Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Evan has a good point about side trips. You may find that you want to go to some other country around two round-trip tickets to Beijing and then a round-trip from Beijing to somewhere and back may end up being a lot cheaper than a three-way ticket. So it’s something to consider if you are planning a side trip to another country.

Of course if you do the main trip to the other country, then a side trip to Beijing, you don’t have to worry about that but that may be harder to get ICANN to pay for.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, thank you very much and if there are no other comments on this issue, we can move on. The next item concerns New gTLDs and in my notes I have no updates. Is that actually the case? Does anybody know of any critical activity going on in the New gTLD world that needs to be brought up?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Garth, this is Evan. My Adobe Connect crapped out so forgive me. Essentially I think the things that are going on right now – one of which is coming up – is going to be a vote on the Consumer Confidence and Trust Metrics Working Group which has recently finished its work.

I posted a little bit of a tome on the larger ALAC list about it earlier today. There's been a lot of work gone into it and an awful lot of good person hours into an effort that I think has been totally wasted. I invite people to read what I've written about it in the ALAC list and when it comes time to vote on it I would be encouraging actually for Alan and Eduardo to join me in voting against it. And if anybody wants explanations, I'm more than happy to provide them.

I mention them in this context because they've limited the scope of the metrics to measure performance based on the context of the New gTLD Program and that alone. The other thing that Alan's already mentioned has been the issue of the Red Cross IOC and INGOs that sort of related to the New gTLD Group because defensive registrations are one of the big issues coming up and between defensive registrations and domain

blocking, those are two of the things going forward now I think with the gTLD Program. Thanks.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay, this is Garth again. I think that I had listed a couple of what you had mentioned in the ALAC area, but if I haven't, please make sure that these are posted so that everybody gets a hold of that. If there are no other comments or it can wait til the ALAC session, we'll move on.

The Nominating Committee – Glenn reports that there are no particular updates in this area; however, the items listed I believe are still current and they're still looking for different positions and they have reposted their page. I'll just give Glenn the quick opportunity to change his mind about updates if he wants to. No? Okay.

Then we can move onto item No. 9 – ALAC Business. Olivier is not on the call but Eduardo, Evan and Alan I know are. The critical items I listed there. So do we have... we had the big TCM meeting at the ICANN headquarters and I believe that Evan and Alan were on the call for that.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Alan, you want to take this?

ALAN GREENBERG:

I'm losing track. I thought we already reported this to this meeting but maybe not.

GARTH BRUEN: I think the last call we had was just before you had the call.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. Let me try to dredge up the quick summary of it.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Dredge is the right word.

ALAN GREENBERG: In Toronto the Business and Intellectual Property Groups presented a wish list as it were of new intellectual property protections. That's how they described them. Some were; some weren't. And there was a meeting held in Brussels to talk about trademark clearinghouse technical information.

They touched on this list but most of the discussion was deferred until another meeting which was held in Los Angeles a couple of weeks later. We were not invited to the first one; we were invited to the second one. I won't go into the details of all that.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: But only virtually.

ALAN GREENBERG: But only virtually. They did not provide travel funds, so we did participate remotely. It was an interesting meeting. It was run by Fadi,

very hands-on and reasonably knowledgeable. On the other hand he is not particularly skilled at running remote teleconferences and the people on the phone did not get equal speaking rights and things like that which not a deliberate slight but nonetheless it significantly hurt our ability to interact.

The bottom line is some of the eight items on... I think it was eight, Evan – eight items on the list weren't really for discussion because they were already being discussed in the RAA discussions or in some other venue. Five of them were left on the agenda and to make two very long days short, the group ended up coming up with what Fadi called and what I think is reasonably called a straw man position of these are things which not everyone agreed to, but seemed to be middle ground positions that most groups could accept or live with.

Some were deemed purely implementation, reasonably so; some of them were deemed to be implementation then a questionable call and some were deemed to be policy. The policy ones do have to go to the GNSO. It's not clear what kind of action the GNSO will take on them or if they will live through a GNSO process or be killed during that GNSO process.

So the world is unrolling; the IPP people were not happy with the results; they wanted more. Other groups wanted significantly less. ALAC went into it with the original position saying, "We really do not believe we should be reopening things at this late date," but with the pragmatic position that if they were reopened, we had certain positions on the various demands.

Based on how we stood on the substantive issues, not on the process, I think ALAC did pretty well. We got some things we had wanted originally that didn't come out of the previous policy process. I don't think very much came out of it that we objected to strongly. We very much object to some of the process however that was followed.

That being said, the objections that others had, particularly some of the GNSO are significantly larger than ours. I personally – and I'm not claiming it's anything other than a personal view – feel that this kind of brainstorming session is probably the only way going forward we're going to address some of the difficult questions ICANN has to address.

The normal policy process tends to either take infinitely long to come to decisions and/or end up with watered-down decisions which not only don't please anyone, but aren't very effective at solving the problems.

So I think innovative ways like this are going to be needed but the process has to be cleaned up much more than it was because there are some significant gaps in fairness and equity. I think that's a quick summary. I'm sure Evan has something to add but that's my quick version of it anyway.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay, Evan, do you have anything?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

The only thing I would add to that is that the one big issue, especially from our friends at the NCUC was the issue of blocking which is

effectively, preemptively, defensively registering things at little or no cost to either trademark owners or those that believe they have an entitlement to the string.

That I think was the most contentious thing and one of the things that the IP Constituency thought should be handled as implementation, at very least I think Alan, myself and the NCC people. And I think some people within the domain industry seem to believe that that needed to go back to a policy process.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Some of the “blocking” that did come out, that did or is likely to come out of it, but it’s subject to GNSO discussion, is not unlike something the ALAC asked for but is very, very much opposed by the NCSG or the NCUC part of the NCSG.

So it was an interesting process. It’s not finished yet. There’s a follow-up meeting tomorrow and we’ll see how it goes forward. I’m more optimistic about using the type of thing in the future than some of the other people are. There are significant factions in the GNSO that believe this is diverting the GNSO’s rights and to some extent it is.

But I think it shouldn’t be subverting them; I think this should be one of their tools that they use – not use to get around the GNSO but the GNSO uses to come to an effective decision quickly. But we’ll see what happens.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: And Fadi has already warned us that he hopes to use more of this. I've called it PDP Light because the process is still... the way that he's done things is still in flux and the way that this kind of small, nimble group has been put together I think still needs a little bit of work on it.

But the idea of taking something that doesn't need to go to a full PDP but still needs multi-stakeholder buy-in - I agree with Alan that this is a reasonable way of handing it. Not everybody agrees, but I share Alan's hope that there is a value in this kind of quick intervention, providing that it keeps all the stakeholders involved to an equal extent and that's where we've got something to say I think in terms of making sure that we're there and if there's a meeting to be held in person, that we be funded to go so that we not be second class citizens at the table.

ALAN GREENBERG: One more comment and it shows the very large possible split that we see is that there are people in the GNSO, even those who feel that the overall process maybe has some value, they say very strongly it shouldn't have been run by the CEO, that this should be a community-led process. On the other hand I'll note that if it hadn't been run by the CEO and this CEO, it probably wouldn't have worked.

GARTH BRUEN: True.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Totally agree.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, alright, thank you very much. This is Garth. Thank you for that in-depth coverage which we might not have gotten any coverage of had you guys not really leaned into and we appreciate that.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, by the way this was the conspiracy to have two North Americans on this group – just availability and interest.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Yeah, the other route was they're not getting this level of de-brief.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay great. We appreciate it.

ALAN GREENBERG: It would if they invited us.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay the WCIT is going on currently and Olivier is there and I'm sure he'll have a lot to say about that when he returns. There's certainly been a lot of news about that which I've kind of dumped at the bottom of the agenda if people want to review it. These issues have been flying back and forth and there's lots of discussion. Avri said she might dial in

to give us a heads-up on what's going on but probably that was a little too much to hope for.

The IGF in Baku – same thing. Was anybody on this call in Baku? No? Okay. Does anybody have any comments about the IGF in Baku? No? Okay, alright.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Garth, this is Heidi. Sorry, not on Baku, even though we do have a full Baku work space with meeting notes, etc. reports from APRALO and AFRALO if you're interested you can go onto that. For the WCIT, did you want Avri to give an update on that or...?

GARTH BRUEN: Yeah, I had asked her if she was going to be available to be on this call to give us an update, but I guess whatever's going on over there, she can't make it so...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, things are really hopping up there and I think everyone's needing their sleep. We do have a WCIT page with a lot of good information. I'm going to go ahead and put that into the AC room. And again, if you scroll down, you'll see – particularly from the Scoop It – a lot of good information on that page.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. Joly you have your hand up, please.

JOLY MACFIE: Yeah, the Internet Society (inaudible), Sally went for it and she's been doing daily updates and she's been posting to a group that we have in ISOC ITU chat group and if any of you are in ISOC and it's free to join, you can just go to – on the portal you can go to the Special Interests and kind of just join that group. I've thought about forwarding them but I guess it would help I might just forward the information to the group about if you don't know how to get on that list. He's been making his comments as well.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Thank you very much. That's great. Can you post that into the Adobe chat or something where people can join or they can get the information? Thank you. Moving on – 9.14 – GNSO Consumer Choice and Trust – I think this is what Evan was discussing earlier. Is that what you were talking about earlier, Evan?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I'm sorry. Could you repeat? I don't have access to a screen.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. I had put into the ALAC Issues area – GNSO's Consumer Choice Trust in Competition Working Group.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Yes, that is exactly it.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, the next item was 9.15 – Policy Development Process on the Protection of IGO and INGO Identifiers. Do you have any comments on that or any other ALAC members? Alan, you have your hand up.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, my hand went up to talk about the Consumer...

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG: Just a quick note. I haven't responded to Evan yet. His message just came in this afternoon but I will be and the substance will be I disagree that... not that ALAC should disagree with the recommendation – that's a decision that ALAC may check – and as Evan noted in his note, there are other ALAC members who did not agree with Evan's position, so I certainly want to hear all sides of it.

However, if ALAC is going to disagree, then I think it has to be in a constructive way that we identify what we would have wanted to see changed because the Board is likely to act on this because it's part of an upcoming AOC review. If we don't like what's coming out of it, we need to make constructive comment at the time of disagreement and...

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: And at the very end...

ALAN GREENBERG: No, no, I'm not saying, Evan, that you didn't; I'm saying that would have to be a substantive part. So if people on this call, after reading Evan's note, feel that there is merit in what he's saying, there needs to be work started soon to at least be able to summarize what the changes are that ALAC would have preferred to have seen because just saying no just means we'll be one negative voice which will not give the Board substance on what to act. That's the only comment I have.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: And I'm more than happy to work on that. First I want to find out if I'm just a voice in the wilderness or if anybody agrees with me. If people do agree with me then there's value in saying, "Okay, if not that, then what?"

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. So do we have any comments on the identifiers item?

ALAN GREENBERG: I'll talk on that for a minute if Evan's on the group also. This is the group that was chartered to address the Red Cross IOC issue on the longer term because what the GNSO was going to recommend and will probably be recommending and what the Board acted on independently is potentially protection until the PDP completes.

So the longer-term question has not been addressed and since then a group of IGOs has asked for similar protection – blocking, to use the word that Evan used in relation to the previous discussion cause that’s what it is – and this group also has that mandate to rule or to make a recommendation on whether IGO names should be blocked at the first and second level.

It’s a particularly important PDP. It’s not clear it was a policy issue but it has become a policy issue whether we like it or not. In the past the restricted names lists have not been subject to PDP and have changed over the years fairly regularly but regardless, for better or worse it is now a policy issue.

The GAC is objecting strongly saying they already told us it had to be done; why are we discussing a policy issue. So there’s some philosophical issues that are going to have to be resolved. There’s also issues of just because something is against the law to use doesn’t mean it’s against the law to allocate.

There’s some really complex questions – some of them legal; some of them philosophical – and it’s not clear how this group is going to come to closure because some of the opinions are so diverse.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

And it’s interesting. A couple of things I would just add for anyone keeping score with this. The IGOs that are doing this are sort of like groups like WIPO and the International Postal Union who in fact are two groups that actually have people involved in this discussion.

They're the ones coming across. This isn't about giving for UNICEF what's already available for the Red Cross; this is like the WIPO wanting to block WIPO everything simply because. And while their names may be protected, I don't think the acronyms are and so this in some cases may be – and this is I think why there is a policy issue in place because this may be something where they're using a legalistic argument but in some ways this is going way beyond conventional international treaty protection.

So it's something that has to be dealt with I think very carefully. Frankly I think they are getting their knickers in a knot over nothing because why does anyone care whether somebody registers ILO.xxx? Does anyone really think International Labor Organization is going to run a porn site? But this is exactly the kind of thing that's at the heart of this.

And there's a part of it that just comes across to me as a bit of "me too," you know, well if the IOC and Red Cross got it, well then the rest of us all have to get it. And some of that seems to be coming across. So right now the discussion is, is there an immediate temporary block pending the results of the PDP? I think that's where things are at now.

ALAN GREENBERG:

There is a temporary block as a result of the Board action.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Right, so it's almost mooted what the GNSO can do at this moment, tending to PDP, right?

ALAN GREENBERG:

No, the Board block is actually crafted rather interestingly. It's only available for IGOs; it's only available to IGOs which have already qualified, whether they have a domain or not, which have qualified under the INT Rules or will qualify soon. And the INT Rules are somewhat confusing and there's dispute over who qualifies.

So they didn't say if you think you meet the qualifications; it's if you have already or can meet the qualifications quickly and then you have to apply. So there may well be... if you apply under those rules, you'll be blocked temporarily until the PDP completes or until other policy action is taken.

They are not providing exemptions, so for instance, if you want to actually register under one of the New TLDs, then you better not ask for protection otherwise you won't be able to register it either. So it's interestingly crafted but the long-term question is both very technically legally, very, very emotional and it's not clear how it's going to come forward.

It is likely to impact ICANN significantly if only because if the PDP does not recommend protections virtually identical or stronger than what the GAC asked for, there is going to be a head-on confrontation between the Board and the GAC or the Board and the GNSO in terms of whether these recommendations are adopted or not.

The Board is not compelled to adopt; it can choose not to but there'll be implications of that happening. So it's going to impact ICANN very

significantly I think unless because of the things that are going on in Dubai right now, ICANN dissolves altogether in the interim, it's likely to have significant impact.

GARTH BRUEN: In the interest of time we have to move on. We will certainly make a note of the importance of this discussion going forward. Jumping down to item 10 for ICANN Functions, it's obvious that Compliance is not on the call. Heidi, did they respond to any of our questions?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I believe so. Let me just take a look and I'll get back to you.

GARTH BRUEN: Alright, while we're waiting on that, we can move right to the Language and Translation items which Louis was gracious enough to supply. His recommendations include translating the ICANN News Alerts into Spanish and French; providing a translated abstract for the NARALO monthly meetings and I suppose that if we're going to do that we would have to submit the agendas for our monthly meetings well in advance.

To translate the RA and legal documents into French and Spanish and then also to insure that the registry and registrant agreements are in local languages where the company operates. And maybe staff can help. Is any of that already available or in process?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Hey, this is Heidi. I was just in touch with Christina Rodriguez, our Language Services Manager about some of these questions. Louis, when you say about the ICANN News Alerts, do you mean the announcements? And I'm going to put the page in the AC room.

LOUIS HOULE: The announcements, yeah.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, so the announcements, okay.

LOUIS HOULE: That would allow them to get in touch with other people than English speakers.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, it makes a lot of sense.

LOUIS HOULE: Of course, but I mean it's an outreach tool I think and I was suggesting that we could start with both French and Spanish because well, we're in NARALO.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, I'm just going through what she's saying so basically automatically the English version is posted and then there would need to be a special

request to translate these and that's what's the problem I think. But there is a process now in place where they want to post all languages at the same time. So again, in progress and I think it's going to be an automatic process shortly. So that's a good step moving forward.

LOUIS HOULE: Okay, for the news alert?

HEIDI ULLRICH: For the ICANN announcements, so I'm going to post what I believe she's talking about and you'll see that they are in English which is a bit (inaudible).

LOUIS HOULE: And about legal documents – we've been...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, on the RAA I'm quite sure that a lot of the documents are in French and Spanish, particularly the ones that At-Large was involved in. For example, there's a *Non-Lawyer's Guide to the RAA*. I'm quite sure that was translated. But I'm just looking ahead to see if other documents are.

For example, the reports that staff prepared – this was a few years ago – the interim reports of the final reports on the MRA negotiations in 2009. I need to just look into that to see if those major documents have been translated.

LOUIS HOULE: Yeah and see if it's been updated if needed.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, absolutely. I can see that they should be translated. I'm going to make that an action item for myself to work with the staff working with the RAA and make sure that those main documents are translated into French and Spanish.

LOUIS HOULE: Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Now another thing is... Did you address the abstract issue already?

GARTH BRUEN: No.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. What do you mean by an abstract? Do you mean after the meeting and just the summary minutes of that or what do you mean?

LOUIS HOULE: Well, it would be nice to have it translated in other languages, period. But at the least we could have some insights in some kind of a point

form, whatever you can think of that would be translated in order to follow what's happening with ICANN. And that's in the news alerts.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, would you like the agenda itself to be translated into French and Spanish or only a very brief summary of the results?

LOUIS HOULE: No, a brief summary. No, I would say a brief summary would be nice to start with.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, yeah, we're happy to do the translation. Perhaps the secretary, Darlene, if you could just write three sentences, a paragraph of what the meeting was about and we can go ahead and translate that. That's not a problem.

LOUIS HOULE: Great.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. If there are no more comments on this, we can move along very quickly to some of our final items. On Travel – and Heidi, you indicated that you have some answers to some of our questions from Travel Constituency?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. I'm going to hand it over to Silvia. She was the one who was in touch and she has the full response from Constituency Travel.

SILVIA VIVANCO: For the wire transfer questions, yes, Joseph responded that he's aware that some travelers had some issues and that Finance had been working on those. However, if there are still issues you can send an email to him and he can handle on a case-by-case basis.

Also the question regarding the fees associated with wire transfers, basically the policy is that ICANN will pay for the fee in terms of sending out the funds but the bank receiving the wires, sometimes they charge also fees. In that case, that's the responsibility of the traveler.

Then you had a question regarding the shuttle buses. Joseph explained to me that there was the amount of I believe \$500 per week and that was supposed to cover all expenses for the traveler. And in the case of the NARALO group, you had requested to be at the Super 8 Hotel and then the shuttles wouldn't be provided between this hotel and the Westin and that was informed in your time. And I think that's basically all the questions you had unless there are any others.

GARTH BRUEN: Well, Silvia, this is Garth. Thank you. In terms of the shuttle buses I think for me personally, some of my confusion arises from the fact that at previous ICANN meetings there have been shuttle buses from the

overflow hotels. I know that the Super 8 was a late entry and I think one of my questions is for the ICANN hotels that were sanctioned ICANN hotels, were there shuttle buses from those hotels?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay, I do not know the answer to that. I would need to check with them, with Constituency Travel.

GARTH BRUEN: And I think that generally, what would be the conditions and who organizes the shuttle buses because this isn't specifically a NARALO issue. This is an issue for anybody who stays in the overflow hotels. And what are the conditions under which ICANN does in fact organize shuttle buses for those hotels?

SILVIA VIVANCO: I'm thinking that I will talk to Constituency Travel because I think it is a relevant issue moving forward.

GARTH BRUEN: I think Alan had his hand up first. Sorry, Evan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Just a quick comment on the bank transfer fees that are charged by the receiving bank. I'll point out, for people in North America, certainly those in the U.S. and to some extent, those in Canada, I'm just as happy

to take a check and I don't have to pay for a check to be deposited and yet it probably costs ICANN \$100 to cut that check and I think it's a rather foolish policy to say you won't pay a \$10 fee that the bank charges but you will send a check – and I'm told, by the way, ICANN tends to send those checks by FedEx – so it's just a rather poor decision process.

GARTH BRUEN:

Evan?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

I was just going to mention in terms of the way ICANN has handled shuttle buses to non-prime hotels, this has varied in some cases from venue to venue. In some cases the very first ICANN meeting I was at in San Juan – we had to walk from the At-Large hotel to the main venue. There were no buses at all provided.

Sometimes they have been provided and also I would just note in this case that the Super 8 was not one of the officially ICANN recognized conference hotels. And that by the time that all this was done, the NARALO meetings were booked very late into the process and I believe most of the other venue hotels were either too expensive or fully booked.

And as a result the Super 8 which was not one of the official conference hotels was the one that was used by NARALO. Now if this is something that can be brought up with Constituency Travel, if there is going to be RALO sessions that at least whatever hotel is chosen should be one of

the official conference hotels and applicable to the same policies as any of the other conference subsidiary hotels.

Like I say, it's been all over the map. When there was something in Dakar, Senegal, you had two hotels that were... well you remember the Amadeus – it was actually not that far away physically and it had shuttle buses. It was actually closer than in San Juan where we had to walk it.

So things have been all over the place. I don't even know if there's a consistent policy regarding from one meeting to the other.

GARTH BRUEN:

This is Garth. I think that in terms of future meetings, we're going to need to be proactive about this and we're going to need to find out what triggers ICANN organizing a shuttle bus and what are the expectations for the community.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

This is Silvia. I think that these are all valid concerns; I'm taking notes of them. And I think this is good feedback for Constituency Travel. Perhaps in the past they have been working on an *ad hoc* basis, depending on the venue and deciding on the spot, at the moment, they handle it.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

But Silvia, I just have a question for you. When you and Matt were working on all the logistics for the Super 8, was that done in concert

with Constituency Travel or that was done it seems like on a separate budget and almost handled differently?

SILVIA VIVANCO: I personally didn't work on that. I don't know if Matt is on the call and can...

HEIDI ULLRICH: I can answer that. This is Heidi. Definitely Constituency Travel did all the bookings, etc. We merely pass the information from Evan to Joseph on that.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay, I would just hope, Heidi and Silvia, going forward that when the RALO needs to use a hotel for its own purposes, that that hotel by virtue of its being picked that way, sort of becomes one of the ICANN official subsidiary hotels for the purposes of any shuttle buses or anything like that that's being done, especially when they book a single bus company to do a round of the hotels, it makes sense to include ours in it.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay, I will take note of this and we'll pass it along to Constituency Travel. I think it's very good feedback and they can probably work on it and just try to comply or to provide these facilities.

GARTH BRUEN: Alright, this is Garth again. Glenn is on the call. Glenn, I want to ask you – did you get the reimbursement or whatever for your survey work? Glenn has no voice and he says yes to my question so we can take that off as an action item.

Glenn is asking, “When is the Outreach Committee meeting?” Okay, I mean that is something that I will have to determine and will have to work with the other subcommittee members to sort that out. So I will make that an action item for myself. Okay, so as far as staff goes, they said that people with wire transfer issues with fees should contact Travel Constituency. Is it contact Travel Constituency or should they contact At-Large staff?

SILVIA VIVANCO: They should contact Travel Constituency but they can copy me or At-Large staff so we can be aware if there are any delays, etc.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. And we will continue to work on the shuttle bus issue. In general – this is Garth again – in hearing from our membership, and some of our membership – they didn’t receive their *per diems* or whatever until after the meeting. And some people are concerned about how long it takes to get certain items.

I mean is this just a problem of general coordination and timeliness? Is there anything that we can do from our end, from the membership end to make sure things are done in a timely fashion? I guess that question’s for staff.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. Regarding the issue that we've had the last couple of months with the Finance Department, there were some challenges which have now been corrected and some real positive changes have been made in terms of systems, etc. And so I think things are going to be a lot smoother going forward in terms of payments, etc.

I know that, Evan, I think you've received any outstanding issues. Glenn, I think you've received your outstanding checks. So I think that we're all... if anybody has any...

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Sorry, this is Evan. No.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, well it should be in process cause I gave them your address, etc. so I think it's just a matter of... it's probably in the mail.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: The check's in the mail.

HEIDI ULLRICH: The check's in the mail. Cause I know that early last week I gave Finance your address, etc. and they were really working on it.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Oh cause I was okay with them doing a wire transfer too.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, let me just...

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: And they already have my wire info.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, let me just see where they are with that.

GARTH BRUEN: Alan has his hand up. Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, just a quick comment. Both Fadi and Sally Costerton who both have significant business experience, have expressed complete amazement about how it is that ICANN could be so inept at doing standard business things so I think we're going to see something get better. I hope we are.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, this is Heidi. Yeah, we've just heard internally there's a fantastic Controller who has set in some great processes – you weren't the only ones – staff had to wait a long time as well, so things have all... I think very positive changes are in place.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. This is Garth. Heidi, you still have your hand up.

HEIDI ULLRICH: That's an old hand, but if I could respond to a question you had and again, it's my fault. I'm sorry for that. Compliance did prepare a draft response to those questions on compliance issues that you had and they've sent them to me and it sort of just bottlenecked and I'll reply to her today. So you should be getting a response quickly on that. So it's my fault, it's not Nicky's.

GARTH BRUEN: Alright, much appreciate it. Okay, the call has run overtime a little bit and before we close things off, I just want to give the group and opportunity to bring up any other items that they are bothering them or anything else anybody wants to talk about and I'll just leave it hanging for a minute if I hear from anybody. Eduardo, por favor.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I just wanted to say happy holidays and Happy New Year, so I guess the next call will be next year, right?

GARTH BRUEN: That's right, if we make it past December 21, yes. Alright, thank you. If anybody has anything else in the meantime, they can certainly reach

out to me directly and I appreciate your time. Thank you very much
everybody. See you in January.

[End of Transcript]