
JULIA CHARVOLEN: Good morning, good afternoon, good evening. This is the New gTLD Working Group on Monday, 22 November. On the call today we have Avri Doria, Adam Leibovitch, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Yaovi Atohoun, Olivier Crépin-Leblond and Eduardo Diaz.

We have apologies from Evan Leibovitch, Hong Xue, Alan Greenberg, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Cintra Sooknanan and Rafik Dammak. From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Gisella Gruber-White and myself, Julia Charvolen.

I would like to remind all participants to please say your name before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much and over to you.

AVRI DORIA: Okay thanks. This is Avri from Dubai. Evan, are you apologizing for being here? Anyway, this was a special call; this was not supposed to be a normal meeting. This was called just to go through the outreach plan to try and get my ideas at the moment. What I've written there I've taken from the discussions we've had. If I stop being audible please let me know. So basically I wrote out a plan which I put on the confluence and I did post the URL earlier...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Avri, I'll post that right now into the AC room.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

AVRI DORIA:

Okay, I had posted it earlier but it... oh, there it is. So people could take a look at it. And I basically wanted to walk through it quickly and get comments on it. The problem is when I'm walking through it I won't see people's hands so if somebody puts up their hand, please let me know cause I can't see both screens at the same time cause I'm at home and I only have my one laptop screen as opposed to another one.

So there are a couple discussion items that came up in Toronto and these were questions that I don't have answers but I recorded it. But what I tried to do was come up with a process that we could follow and this hopefully would get us to complete this by the end of the year as we projected when this milestone was added to our...

So the first item was theory formation. There's already been a fair amount of work on that. If you click on theory formation in the page, you'll see that that link has a bunch of the various theories that people put out, both in conversation and in that meeting. Now you'll also notice that on each of these items I had the notion that we would have a team working on each one.

Tijani's name is down here. Tijani, I never spoke to you, but I believe – and if this is wrong please correct me – but I believe at the time that we were talking about all of this, you indicated that you were interested in working on such a team if a team was put together. So that's why I put your name down. If I'm wrong about that, I apologize and then I'll try to convince you to do it anyway.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

You're right. Avri, you are right.

AVRI DORIA:

I'm right? Okay thank you. Good. And hopefully you won't be the only person. So there is a theory formation page and it lists possible contributing causes and these are the things that I've heard people say, these are the things that came up at IGF. I haven't developed them yet but I just recorded them.

Then I basically had this and hopefully be complete by the end of the year, by December and I don't know if that... But that's something for hopefully the team of people working on that to say something if that is too soon. It's basically by the end of the year or as soon after that as possible.

Then the next thing was a survey based on the theory formation. We had had a couple questions about doing a survey and basically there were two different kinds of survey that came out. One of them was a questionnaire. I sort of tried to imagine a relatively short questionnaire. We've seen that it's a multi-page long questionnaire that gets difficult for people to complete and doesn't happen.

Dev sent out an email earlier today with a list... I guess it was a questionnaire he built for Tijani's session in Baku and it's something and he indicated it would just be on that particular team and I already put his name in there.

The second thing we had talked about was having interviews with various of the regionals and coming up with a couple questions and getting those asked. Now this is one of the places where we had the discussion to what extent is it us doing this; to what extent are we

asking staff for help with this; to what extent do we go to professionals for this.

I'm not presupposing an answer to that, though my initial assumption had been that we would sort of do it but perhaps we can't. Among the groups that people talked about looking at is first of all the ALSes that are members of At-Large. If anything, they should have heard both of the programs and about the Applicant Support.

If they didn't that's interesting and they basically had a two-tiered question – did you hear and if you heard, why didn't you do anything? Why didn't you apply or why didn't you apply for support? And going a little broader, there was a question of looking out for general ISOC chapters. There was a question of the possibility of talking to the GAC and getting them to help us sort of approach people from their local countries.

There's approaching the gTLDs in the areas that would have been outreach. And then a follow-up on the questionnaire. There will be questionnaires. We're going to ask the people can we contact you to ask more questions – something like that. So that was the second part of the general outreach to start getting some answers that either dive deeper into the theory formation or present us with two theories.

Following that, after Beijing, basically after the meeting, I said that we would talk about this. In Beijing we have a meeting and then after that basically producing a draft (inaudible)... We will have done some surveys; we will have done some interviewing and basically come up with an initial report of this is what we believe the causes are and then the idea would be to put that out for comment to get it [amplified] to

get people to say, “That makes sense;” “That doesn’t make sense;” “You didn’t think of this;” “You didn’t think of” whatever.

The next step being based up what we see in terms of causes to start thinking about proposed solutions. At the moment that’s the furthest out task but I see there are sort of two possibilities [and the win] is how does it get fixed for the next round or the proposal that sort of came up in conversation that perhaps even before is perhaps that it makes sense to talk about a remediation round.

So that was me taking a first stab at both a process and a general schedule and I’d like to get comments on it. And also if it’s a reasonable thing, I’d like to get more people to volunteer to work on it. I’ll be quiet for a second and see if anybody else wants to talk.

Nobody wants to talk. Do people think this is a good idea – does the breakdown make sense; does the set of steps make sense, the schedule? Yes? Please Yaovi.

YAOVI ATOHOUN:

Thank you very much, Avri. I think the plan, I find it a very, very good process in a very interesting way. Because we cannot even talk about a second round or another round while we don’t understand what is happening. So I find your plan, the process, very, very good because you talk about outreach and then also you talk about having interviews with groups.

So my comment or what I want to add is that would it be worth it to know in advance the types of questions that would be drafted for the Group B1 and B2, like for the general outreach and then for B2. Like if I

taken ALS the information we can get from ALS may not be the same information we need to get from the industry in developing countries.

So I totally agree with the plan, the concept and then I think the most important now is to have on paper the type of questions to send to these people because it's only from that work that we can solve this and we can try to solve the current problems from the current round. So this is my contribution. Thank you very much.

AVRI DORIA: Okay thank you. I see Evan has written a statement. Should I read it, Evan or would you rather read your own words? Oh he can't speak. Okay, so Evan says...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Avri, should I read that?

AVRI DORIA: Oh that would be better. You probably can read clearer than I can.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay Evan says – this is Heidi – Evan is saying, “Is there any plan to ask ICANN for formal staff or outside contractor resources to assist in this effort. Just making a Survey Monkey and expecting ‘non-applicants’ to apply will not provide satisfying results.” End of the question.

AVRI DORIA:

Okay, thank you. That... The question from Evan was basically do we plan to ask for help with doing the survey. Having a Survey Monkey wouldn't be able to reach far enough to be able to get it out. That should be one of the questions we have...

I don't know the answer. We would have to give it to Olivier and to get Evan who is [on to] the rest of you so what's the chance of that? Cause if it's just something that we put in a budget at any point. And so asking for such help and what chance we have of getting it. And perhaps someone who knows much more about that can speak to that possibility. And I see Olivier is typing.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

This is Heidi. Let me just repeat what Avri is saying while we try to sort out the audio issue. She's asking whether we would need to ask Olivier or Evan whether there is money for this survey and what sense having special support. So whether... Olivier, would you like to respond to that?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Yes thank you, Heidi. It's Olivier for the transcript. I think that as far as funding for this is concerned, I'm not aware of any specifics, but Heidi perhaps... because this really is Policy Development, isn't it? Is there a way to file something with David and get Policy Development support on this?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. I could ask him whether that falls into Policy Development or I could also ask him if it could perhaps be other departments relevant to the Applicant Support issue to see if there would be funding for such a survey.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thank you, Heidi. It's Olivier for the transcript. I think that would be a good idea. We can play on the two things. There's definitely a drive to try... I mean of course, we can't make right the shortfalls of Applicant Support, but what we can do is to try and to... of course I can – to do as much possible to at least support this.

And so I would definitely support your suggestion of finding out if we can have somehow help by staff that deals with Applicant Support, that deals with the New gTLD Program and that deals with Policy Development. I know that they're three different (inaudible) and it might be worth looking at all three.

AVRI DORIA: It's definitely worth exploring. I think it should be a short questionnaire and perhaps one or two questions can be open-ended, but not many questions because I have found when we do long, complicated questionnaires – as we did in the WHOIS thing – people don't answer them all. They get lost. It really should be something that people can do fairly quickly and then we can do a follow-up conversation to try and get more information. At least that's the way I was thinking about it. Yes, Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, Avri, I agree with you. The questionnaire has to be short and simple because the most complicated and the most long, it is the less people will answer it.

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Yaovi speaking. I just want to add that while thinking about a survey at the same time we have to consider having the survey if possible in at least three languages – very important not to have the survey only in English. At the beginning we have to think about our translation. That is something we need to consider while we are drafting the survey so that we hear from the whole ICANN community. Thank you.

AVRI DORIA: Okay thank you. That makes sense. And if it's a short questionnaire the translation should not be that burdensome. So if it's somewhere between 10, 12, maybe 15 questions at most and that even sounds like too many. It's questions like, "Did you hear of it?" "Did you hear of Application Support?" "Did you think of applying?" "If you thought of applying and didn't apply, why?"

And there's not that many questions like that. And a question like, "Is it okay if we call you for follow-up," to understand and follow up with people that said... If they said no they never heard of it, perhaps we won't call. If you had heard of it, it's something to consider. I don't know. We have to think about the questions yet; we're not there.

But basically I think we should be able to keep it to a short number of direct questions that some of them may have multiple choice; some of

them may have true or false but some of them will be fill-in answers that we then interpret if we have to follow up on.

Okay, I see translation would be fine. We don't have a list of non-applicants; we need to do our best guess of who may be in a position to evaluate the program and decided not to apply. That was Evan. And then Evan also said, "Heidi, can we get a list of who attended ICANN Road Show Event to introduce the program?" That would be a start – people who were aware of the program. To which Heidi responded, "I can certainly ask about the list."

So this seems like a good start. We're going to need more people to work on stuff. We do have an action item of finding out if there's budget we can get for this.

Does the schedule I've laid out for doing this look reasonable or is finishing theory formation by the end of December/beginning of January make sense? Does getting the questionnaires and follow-up questions done by Beijing make sense? Or is that pushing it too much? Opinions?

Evan says, "Coming up with the questions is the easy part; finding out who to ask is the trick." Yeah and what I think in some sense approaching the ccTLDs, especially those from you know, developing; approaching ALSes; approaching ISOC chapters is a place to start. These are all people who are at least close to considering... the kind of people where the question of "would you apply for TLD" makes some sense.

If we reach too far outside, you say, "Why did you apply for a TLD," and the answer comes back, "A TLD? What's that," then obviously we know

why they didn't. We can get the names of IGF participants. I'm not sure how easily we can get to their email. I might be able to get some sort of mailing through the IGF; I'd have to check on that.

I'm sure that they wouldn't give us the IGF email addresses, nor would I want them to be able to give us the addresses. But perhaps we could access them through that.

And then there's the other message to think of – whether it's the Twitter verse or something like that where we might be able to reach further to people. Okay. Nobody has answered whether Beijing or completing doing the questionnaire and doing the survey is pushing it too much.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Avri, this is Heidi. Could I just go back to the questions I posted in the chat? So again, on the action item the staff is to find out if there's budget for the Applicant Support survey. I'm just wondering what exactly would be the funding required.

Because again, we could set up the questions with peer support, with peer work on that; we could do the Survey Monkey; send out the surveys on our mailing lists and support the follow-up calls using Adigo and the AC room. So I'm just wondering what would the funding be for?

AVRI DORIA:

Well, does doing that much staff help actually something that needs budgeting or is that something that just happens?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I think that right there – if you come up with the questions and they're only short – 10 questions approximately – I think that's something staff could do.

AVRI DORIA: Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: And again we'd be able to use Adigo. Go ahead.

AVRI DORIA: What are [we actually looking] for? If we're not looking for a professional survey question writer - and I think in this case we can do it ourselves – and we're not looking for professional people to call and ask the questions because in some ways I don't even know.

We'd spend more time teaching them what questions to ask in some sense than having some of us volunteer to do some of it. But I don't really know. I sort of assumed it as a volunteer plus staff activity but Evan was basically – and I guess he's dropped off at the moment or he is soon dropping off – was assuming we needed something more professional. So I don't really know the answer.

And I guess Evan has dropped off because the Trademark Clearinghouse call has gotten active with policy. So I don't know. Does anybody else have anything to add at this point?

Evan, if you want to get started on a plan, I would like more people to volunteer. I'd like more people to work with Tijani to get the theory flushed out. That's a very shallow file that I've got now which is a couple bullets. And so that's really the first step.

The second step while that's ongoing is people to work with Dev, look at his questionnaire that he's already started and add development a little further and that will grow out of some of the theory stuff that Tijani will do.

Yes, we should send a message. In fact I should probably write something up after this call saying that we talked through the plan, that we understood more people couldn't make it. We're looking for volunteers to work on the following item. Certainly I can do that over the next couple of days while I'm sitting listening to people argue about various ITU resolutions.

Anybody else have anything to add at the moment? It seems like we're accepting the general plan. At least the people on the call are. Well thank you. You'll make that an action item for me. I'll do it.

I need to type up, Heidi, something that you can do so that I'm not being (inaudible) on it while I'm Dubai; talk to Evan and see what he had in mind about using professional help and asking for funding. That was his suggestion and so perhaps if you could connect with him at some point to understand what he was after in that, see if there is anything that really does need funding. Would that be okay? Assign each other AIs? Thank you.

So Tijani, at the moment we're trying to find volunteers to work with you. Can you start to sort of take that (inaudible) and start adding content to it on the theory and we'll see who else we can get. But can you start taking responsibility for that theory formation part with anyone else that we can find but since you're the only name I got first, that puts you there first. Is that okay with you to start working on that and we'll find more volunteers to work with you?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Avri, do you hear me?

AVRI DORIA: Yes.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yeah, okay. Very good. Okay, I agree but I don't hear you very well. I don't understand everything you said. I will send you an email for that. I will see what you said and you will see what I think about this.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Tijani, may I just repeat what Avri mentioned?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes.

HEIDI ULLRICH: If you can understand me better? She asked whether you could start working on the theory part of the questionnaire. Could you please take

responsibility for that theory part with any other volunteers that you would be able to find? Would you be okay with that?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: When you started speaking it was very good and then you go very low, but it doesn't matter. We'll send mail.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, we'll follow up. And you can read what she said in the note section of the AC room.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Yes, I am reading it.

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Yaovi. Thank you. Yaovi speaking. I can also help but I'm waiting from the mail from Avri as she said some people may have to look at a questionnaire (inaudible) they'll [send]. So I'm available to work but depending on the mail of Avri, I'll know exactly the load of work in each group. I will be volunteering to have some people. Thank you.

AVRI DORIA: Okay thank you very much. I'll get that mail sent out. I'll try to get that sent out tonight if I can. And then try that. I suggest we cut this phone call now. I'll follow up on the list. I very much appreciate (inaudible) and dealing with this noise. Does anyone else have anything else they'd like to try and say before we finish?

I obviously do not want to do anymore phone calls from Dubai. So thanks a lot and I'll follow up on the list very soon now. And thanks a lot for putting up with this phone call and the static and the noise and everything.

[End of Transcript]