

SILVIA VIVANCO: Good morning, good afternoon, good evening. Welcome to the NARALO November monthly call, November 12, 2012. The attendees for today are Garth Bruen, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Glenn McKnight, Alan Greenberg, Eric Brunner-Williams, Allan Skuce, Eduardo Diaz, Gareth Shearman, Gordon Chillcott, Joly MacFie, Louis Houle and Seth Reiss. From staff we have Heidi Ullrich and myself, Silvia Vivanco. Over to you.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you very much and this is Garth Bruen for the record. As far as agenda item 2 – review action items – there isn't much in terms of action items from the previous call because those were mostly preparation for Toronto so we can probably move off of this quickly. But as a note, going forward, I would like to list the previous action items in the full list and not on a separate page within the call for the current agenda.

Quickly going through the agenda and overview for today's call, No. 3 is the review of the Toronto activities and the Chair's Report. No. 4 is a review of the communication strategy. No. 5 is a discussion of our community in terms of recruitment, acceptance and working groups. And then agenda item No. 6 – a quick overview of Beijing and Visa requirements. Item No. 7 is New gTLDs.

And there is an item that came up concerning New gTLDs but I have place this under agenda Item 9 for ALAC issues. Agenda item No. 8 is an update of the Nominating Committee and then 10 is a standing item

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

called ICANN Functions that I'll be discussing and explaining. And then agenda item No. 11 is Any Other Business. Okay? So we will move forward and go into No. 3 – Review of Toronto Activities.

First of all, before we do anything, I would like to say that I very much appreciate staff involvement in preparing for Toronto and I'm going to be noting this in the Chair's Report that the suggestions offered by staff were extremely helpful and extremely useful for our overall agenda. We really appreciate staff commitment to making the Toronto meeting a success. Thank you very much.

I'd also like to recognize everybody who worked on the Toronto Committee, especially Glenn who put in a lot of extra work to make sure all the details were taken care of. It was fantastic.

As far as the Chair's Report goes, there were a few outstanding questions I wanted to discuss in the meeting before drafting the final report and we'll go through those throughout the agenda of the meeting.

One of the main issues is the actual communication strategy which took a little bit longer than I had hoped, mostly because as I was drafting the communication strategy, it became clear that it was a very, very important document and that the actual structure of the document is something that is useful going forward in our work and that we can find ways to constantly reference back to it as a way of keeping ourselves on track in terms of our agenda.

In terms of the Toronto review of our successes and our effort, I think that there's pretty much universal acceptance that everybody did a

fantastic job and that all of the related events came off flawlessly. And I had many people from other RALOs and from within other ICANN constituencies compliment us on the great work we did. So everybody deserves a big pat on the back – it was a success all around.

One item concerns the meeting reports and some people had some problems editing it. I know that one NARALO member just sent me a list of all of his meetings and I put them in for him. I don't know if the issue was that people didn't follow the instructions and ask staff for access to editing or if there was actually a problem editing.

I know that from another RALO Holly Raiche had a problem editing and she's somebody who is used to editing the Wiki. So I don't know what the situation is with actually editing reports. Is anybody aware of any specific problems editing the meeting reports?

ALAN GREENBERG:

It's Alan. There are certainly Wiki problems in terms of formatting it the way you want it to. It's rather obstinate sometimes in deciding how you really want it to be formatted, but that's the only real problem I know of.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Now Olivier was the one who is initiating the request for these reports. Olivier, has anybody been coming to you and talking about a specific problem with editing the reports?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Garth. It's Olivier for the transcript. I haven't had anyone actually email me that they... Well I had a couple of people just basically emailed their reports over, but no real follow-up on this, whether people couldn't log in.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. And what would you say...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: But staff may have some further information because I've actually added in the Wiki page that if they have any problems they should contact staff, so maybe ICANN staff might have had some requests for additional accounts to be added or account password to be changed. I don't know.

GARTH BRUEN: Staff, have you had any questions?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I think we've had about maybe three requests for posting of reports or signaling that we've had some issues.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Do we have any idea what the context of those issues are? Is it the same issue each time?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I believe it's... yeah, it could be just lack of access to that particular Wiki.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Alright, okay and Olivier, how would you say how successful is it in getting people to submit these reports? Are you getting a lot of good feedback on that?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Garth. It's Olivier. I think it's better than the last time. I'm actually quite pleased with the results we've got at the moment. I guess the Prague reports were a bit catastrophic – there were so few of them. There are more in the Toronto one.

I'm just surprised that it's mostly the same people still that are filing their reports. Do you think we should perhaps have another call for additional people to see if they can just put a few words?

GARTH BRUEN: Well... this is Garth. I think that we can... I will at least handle getting NARALO members on the record. I mean, what kind of call are you talking about? Are you talking about a cross-RALO call to get people?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Yeah, I would have no problem participating in that call if you want.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Call – not a telephone call, yes? It’s Olivier. I’m saying a call as in send an email out, an email reminder to tell people to put their reports on there. We’ve already got enough conference calls.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, alright, that’s fine. So I see Glenn has his hand up. Please, Glenn and then Gordon.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: To explain, I don’t think it’s a technical problem; I think it’s what people are used to. I didn’t have a problem entering my stuff. The question is quality, right, and in some cases perhaps my quality is up to snuff or some of it wasn’t as much. So I think it’s just changing attitudes of people and I think when it was brought up and when I first heard about it, it was just sort of a closing comment and I asked people the next day.

I said, “Are you filing reports?” And people said, “I don’t remember that.” So I think you have to remind people a few times to get it into their psyche and then it becomes second nature. But I think it was rushed a bit and I don’t think people really knew that they should be doing the reports. And as you said earlier, only a few people really made an effort to report as much as possible.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, alright. Gordon, you have your hand up. Please, Gordon.

GORDON CHILLCOTT: Gordon Chillcott for the record. A couple of things. I ran into exactly the same problem that Heidi described. Having said that, I was kind of rushed at the time, so having precast the comments I was going to put in, I threw them into the comments area and I'm still waiting for a couple of reports from other people – my ALS – to add to the mix

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. So we'll keep on this issue to make sure that we have a full record of people's meeting experiences. And this is Garth for the record. Moving on.

One of the areas where I think we had – I don't know how to say this - we had both success and failure is in the slideshow. Now as far as an exercise goes, I think that the slideshow subcommittee of myself, Glenn, Eduardo and Gordon did a fantastic job of reinterpreting the message of NARALO and really getting some interesting content in there. And Glenn may have a few comments about repurposing the slideshow.

As far as getting the slideshow visible, I think we kind of dropped the ball on that and I'll actually take the hit on that because I believe that Matt Ashtiani asked us if we wanted a big screen TV to put it up on and we might not have followed through with that. And if we had done that we might have had like a big screen to show the slideshow on along with the table. And the tabletop itself was a fantastic success and that worked out really, really well.

But as far as moving the slideshow forward, like I said, I think it can be repurposed for various things and for getting our message out there.

Glenn is continuing to work on it. Glenn, do you have any other comments on that at this time?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yeah, I threw up on our Wiki and also Slide Share for people to give comments so please rip it apart. Its images aren't great or the graphics, but it's better than nothing, but it does need improvement. So we didn't have a computer. Like I was typing in about the NomCom experience we had a dedicated ICANN computer. So I did have my computer there but I needed it for other stuff. So for a lot of the time at the table top we did not have a computer to show the slideshow.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. This is Garth and this is something that we're going to have to make sure we get right next time and continue to use the slideshow to the best use we can get cause I think it was definitely a good exercise in clarifying our message.

Moving onto agenda item No. 4 – a review of the communication strategy. Now I have put up the communication strategy draft document. People are free to review it and send me comments but as I stated there, this work is never done and we need to constantly improve on our communication.

As far as the actual details of the communication documents go, they're actually included as references within the monthly agenda within today's call. So one of the things is item agenda 4.2 is just a constant question about how do we improve the function of our calls and our meetings.

And one recent recommendation was to put the technical instructions for each meeting right into the email, not put it a few clicks deep, and put the meeting agenda information at the top, as I've actually done in today's meeting agenda. I put the phone number and teleconference I.D. directly at that top next to "How can I participate in that meeting?" And we'll just keep duplicating that going forward.

As far as what are your pet peeves, what do you think would make these calls better, what do you think would make our overall meetings better – please just send them to me and we'll start working on ways to tweak the meetings.

Item 4.3 – I've also complained about the overuse of acronyms, especially in terms of dealing with new members who may not be familiar with what the acronyms mean. And even some long-term members may not know what a particular acronym means.

So just as a couple of examples, I've spelled out in the agenda what NomCom, ALAC and AOB are, just for the benefit of people who may not be used to those terms. I don't want to be somebody who overuses acronyms so I don't become an SOB in some people's viewpoint.

Moving onto agenda item No. 5 what I'm calling Our Community which is a part of the overall communication strategy to really help bring focus into our community and cross-promote and make sure we're on message, make sure we're communicating properly.

First item of business in that is recruitment which is a major part of our previous meeting and a major part of the communication strategy document. The first thing I want to do and we talked about in Toronto

is to create a semi-permanent function focusing on recruitment. And I want to put out a quick vote out there. Does anybody have a problem with creating a sub-committee? Or should I say just put your check box into Adobe if you agree with creating a sub-committee on recruitment. I see you have your hand up, Eduardo, go ahead.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I wanted just to comment on the overall communication strategy. This is the first time I have seen this document which is I think very good. I suggest that you send it to the NARALO just in order to look at it so we can provide all three parts of the document.

GARTH BRUEN: Oh I know. This is that call.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Oh, oh okay. Well and once it's finalized or somehow I think we should share this with other RALOs because I think it will help. This is a very good idea. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Absolutely. Thank you, Eduardo. This is Garth. Okay then in terms of creating a sub-committee on recruitment, who would like to volunteer to be that sub-committee's Chair? Anybody? Does anybody have an interest in being part of the committee, maybe not the Chair but part of the committee?

ALAN GREENBERG: Alan speaking. I thought all those tick marks are the volunteers?

GARTH BRUEN: Oh I asked for the tick marks for support of creating the sub-committee.

ALAN GREENBERG: I understand. It was a joke.

GARTH BRUEN: Yeah, I know. You put your hand up, you put your hand up for everything. Sure. So there are no volunteers for the recruiting sub-committee. Okay. Alright, I will volunteer myself to be the Chair of the recruitment sub-committee until somebody else feels the need to step forward and you can contact me offline if somebody wants to be involved.

EDUARDO DIAZ: This is Eduardo. I think Joly and Evan are willing to be part of the sub-committee if you look at the... but the problem is who is going to lead it?

E

GARTH BRUEN: Right. Okay, in the chat Joly... Eduardo... "I'd be happy to serve, not as Chair." Joly, that's fine. Evan – "I can help but can't spare the time." That's fine. This is Garth and this has been something that I've been talking about and discussing. It's certainly something I have no problem running for the first run and maybe down the road somebody else will feel comfortable with stepping into.

I wanted to give anyone out there the opportunity who was hot for it to become that Chair. But thank you very much to everybody who is considering participating.

Agenda item 5.2 – New ALS applications. We are very, very happy to welcome the applications of Nova Scotia Community Access Program, Connect NYC and the University Community Partnership of Social Action and Research. In the status I have due diligence complete for all three. Are there any additional status changes? This question is for staff.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Hi, Garth. This is Heidi. So the next step after due diligence would be the regional advice from the RALO so if you can get that either on today's call or from you officially after you've taken a survey of NARALO then we will pass that on to Olivier and then it can start.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. This is Garth. I will take a tick survey right now specifically for the Nova Scotia Community Access Program. Please put a tick mark in a check box if you approve of their application. If you do not approve of their application, please put a red "disagree" button in. And I see one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight – I see eight approvals for Nova Scotia and so I will consider them approved and I will give my advice to staff to continue to process their application.

Alright, folks, please clear away all of your check boxes as I go to the second item unless you're comfortable leaving it up there for the second item. Please put in a green check box for Connect NYC if you approve of their application or a red mark if you do not agree. I see

one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine approvals. I will consider this application approved. Please, staff, go forward with continuing the application process.

Clear away your hand and Olivier, you have your hand up. Please go ahead, Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Garth. It's Olivier for the transcript. Approval and disapproval only actually takes place by the ALAC voting. What you're effectively voting on here is whether the RALO should recommend approval or not recommend approval. I'm sorry to be cutting hair lengthwise and being picky on it but just to respect protocol.

The other thing is I'm not quite sure whether you have actually sent a last question on the NARALO discussion list as to whether anybody has anything to say against any of these organizations. So if anybody objects to these organizations going on and being accepted.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you, Olivier. This is Garth. I appreciate the clarification on procedure. Just so everybody is aware, this is just to make sure that the region approves of their recommendation to ALAC. ALAC makes the final decision and I will send out an email after the meeting to find out if there are any lingering issues about any of these applications.

The final application concerns the University Community Partnership for Social Action Research and if anybody could put their approval or

objection into their recommendation to give it to ALAC for final processing or approval. So okay. Alright, all three applications will be moved forward at least pending an email from me to the NARALO list to see if there are any objections. And Glenn, you have your hand up. Please go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Oh sorry, I do not.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay so I will send out a last email to NARALO to see if there are any objections to these applications and then I will give my formal approval to submit them to ALAC. That is fantastic.

Moving onto agenda 5.3, I just want to quickly welcome some of our new unaffiliated members – Murray, Peter, Andrew and Roy – we are happy to have them and hopefully we'll be getting some more in the near future. Alan, you have your hand up please.

ALAN GREENBERG: I do indeed. As the official rep of unaffiliated members, I'd like to be notified when we have new ones.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, staff, is this something that you can build into the notification?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, this is Heidi. I don't know if we were notified of all of those. I think I was aware of a few of them. But absolutely, once we receive all of the names we can send that to Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: My understanding, Heidi, is that someone only becomes an unaffiliated member when they send staff a notice that they meet all of the qualifications, so I'm not sure it's possible according to our processes for you not to know.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, well...

ALAN GREENBERG: Or that they're not members. [laughs]

HEIDI ULLRICH: Again, this is Heidi. During Toronto there were some emails from individual members – Pier Knight was one I remember – so I would need to go back to that time in Toronto and take a look at my emails.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, I guess I'm just suggesting that we find some way that we on our ongoing basis know who they are. Otherwise, on the occasional times where I need to pull them, it's really difficult. So maybe the three of us – Heidi, Garth and I – can talk together and come up with some plan that works.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, maybe a Wiki page could be set up on who goes... all of the unaffiliated members...

GARTH BRUEN: This is Garth. This is actually something that's being addressed in the communication strategy document in terms of formalizing the process at least so it's standard for each person and that there's a tick box where they can say their SOI, they can say their affiliation, they can say the other requirements and also sign up for the mailing list.

And maybe as part of that process Alan can be notified within that. But yeah, there should be a way of formally documenting it so Alan knows. Alan, do you have further comments on this.?

ALAN GREENBERG: No, that's all.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, alright, your hand was still up.

ALAN GREENBERG: Sorry about that.

GARTH BRUEN: Agenda item 5.4 – working group watch. This was something that came up in discussion during Toronto and we want to be able to see where we're participating and where we're not participating. So what I've

done is I took all of the working groups and I found out – as far as I could – where all of our members were participating and I created this table that is in this month’s meeting agenda.

So you can clearly see the working groups where we have light participation and where we have really good participation. In a couple of cases I put a question mark next to somebody’s name and this just means that when I asked that person what groups they were on, they didn’t list these, so I want to understand why that happened.

In some cases there’s an asterisk next to a name and that means the person said that they were in a group but they’re not on the official roster. So we want to make sure that they’re actually listed officially within the group.

Now there are two in particular – IRC Process and ccNSO At-Large Coordination – that I could not find any membership list for. I want to put the question out there – does anybody know anything about these two groups? Eduardo, please.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

This is Eduardo Diaz for the record. No, the reason I have my hand up is because you have me in the Joint DNS Security and Stability, and that’s not me; that’s Edmon Chung.

GARTH BRUEN:

Oh okay, alright, I’ll make that correction. Alan, you have your hand up?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, I put my hand up originally but your specific question is a good time to chime in. Some of these are very old. Any group related to the IRT must be at least three years old, so that's long defunct and there are several others that are similarly long defunct. The names issues one I think is several years old and certainly doesn't exist at this point.

I admit – I was negligent. I didn't answer your query and therefore I'm missing from a number of places but I think we need to make sure that anything we're listing there has lived in our lifetime.

GARTH BRUEN: Yep, I mean – this is Garth. That's why I'm doing this; I want to make sure it's up to date and make sure it's balanced. Olivier, you have your hand up.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Garth. It's Olivier for the transcript. Indeed, there are some which are listed on the page – the IRT Profile for example is still listed on the working groups page but it doesn't appear to have been archived or taken aside. I think that... well Cheryl and staff last went through the whole list and it might be a recommendation that NARALO should ask during the ALAC call that we go through a new round on that list of At-Large working groups and find out which ones are defunct and which ones should remain alive.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. This is Garth. It's a good opportunity for house cleaning. But as far as going forward and insuring that NARALO is well-represented in

working groups, I put forward the proposal to assign new ALS or new members to working groups as they come in and make this an active part of our regular agenda. Alan, you have your hand up please.

ALAN GREENBERG: Sorry, that's an old hand, although I do have a comment on what you...

GARTH BRUEN: Go for it.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm not sure what you mean by "assign." I think anything like this has to be a collaborative effort. You can't tell someone that they're going to be part of a working group if we really expect them to be productive.

GARTH BRUEN: Right. This is Garth. Let me clarify. When somebody comes on as a new ALS or a new unaffiliated member, we will present them with a list of working groups and projects that are ongoing and ask them, "Is there something here that interests you?" And maybe gently make this part of our participation to have people as part of working groups as much as possible. If people could just put a tick mark in whether they think this is a good idea or not.

ALAN GREENBERG: It's Alan. I'll say it's a good idea; I'm not sure it's going to be an effective idea.

GARTH BRUEN: I mean... this is Garth. I mean do you think it's ineffective to ask people if they want to be in a working group when they might not have been aware of it before?

ALAN GREENBERG: Oh no, I'm just not sure how much active participation we're gonna get as a result of it, but it's worth trying.

GARTH BRUEN: This is Garth. I mean, I don't want to argue about the point too much but I think that just making people aware that there is an opportunity there to do something sometimes makes it much easier and gets people involved. Glenn, you have your hand up please.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, recently I was emailed to join in. I had a few conversations with Sala on the capacity building sessions and I asked directly what's the mandate of the group, what's a typical result based management approach and I didn't get any answers.

I know Heidi said that they'll be coming soon. But anybody who joins a committee needs to know what the purpose of the committee is, what the expectations... how one can help that committee be a better committee, so I think joining is one thing but being productive is another.

GARTH BRUEN: Right. This is Garth. I think that showing up sometimes is the hardest thing and you can people to show up and figure out ways to get them involved almost as a second step. If they're here as a volunteer in the first place, they obviously want to be involved in something. So I think we can find a way to put them in and get them engaged.

So people seem to be in general agreement that it's generally a good idea; it's just about the specifics of how we do it and we'll make that an agenda item for the next call. And then I suppose, staff, if you can make an action item concerning the clean-up of the working groups list, that would be helpful as well.

Seeing no other hands up, we'll keep going. Aside from Eduardo's issue about me putting him in the wrong group, are there any other blatant errors anybody sees in this list?

ALAN GREENBERG: Other than omissions.

GARTH BRUEN: Other than omissions, yes. No? Okay because mostly I based this list on the existing membership lists that were online and then what people told me. So that's where I got this information from. And Evan had listed four groups that I was not aware of that were not on the list. Is Evan available to talk about any of these?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: I am, Garth. What did you have in mind?

GARTH BRUEN: You have SIC, WHOIS PDP, Red Cross IOCPDP, Consumer Choice Competition and Ovation, Joint Applicant Support Working Group and none of these were listed as official working groups as far as I could see.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay part of the problem with that, Garth, is that except for the last one, all of these are GNSO groups. In the email that I sent out in response, that's why I suggested that rather than just calling it Working Group Watch, that it might be something broader like Participation Watch.

You're finding that At-Large members are increasingly getting involved in cross-community and cross-constituency efforts. As NCSG liaison, I found myself on a number of times doing collaborative things with that constituency and that led occasionally to joint statements and joint policy work.

In addition those two policy development projects that I mentioned to you are things, in fact, that haven't even started yet – the WHOIS and the IOC Red Cross PDPs haven't even started yet. So these are a) new and b) not specifically ALAC initiated.

And remind me the last one – the JAS – the Joint Applicant Support Group – this is an outgrowth of the gTLD Working Group that had to do with applicant support issues. This has been a long-running effort for quite some time that was, but that one absolutely was an ALAC group that was part of a joint one with the GNSO but it's now essentially

become sort of a sub-group of the gTLD Working Group, though Avri might not agree.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: As such it's defunct now I think. They submitted their final report and I don't believe there's any more tasks to do.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Yeah, there's something called the SARC, the review team that was started by it and so you have outgrowths of it but okay, so I guess you can scratch that one. But the other ones, Garth, are not specifically At-Large initiated and I think you're going to increasingly see instances where members of At-Large are involved in working groups and sub-committees and review teams and things like that, that were not of our creation.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, this is Garth. This is exploratory. We'll figure out ways to do it and the whole point is to document where we're doing work and where we don't have anybody representing us, so we'll keep moving forward with that.

As far as the group list goes, I had a question and hopefully somebody can answer it. There is a New gTLD Group which I'm a member of and then there is a... I think it's some other variation – I'm looking for it on

the list now – of New gTLD. Yeah, it's just called New gTLDs. What is the difference between these two groups? Does anybody know? Wait, Alan, you're on the New gTLD Group. Evan, Evan.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Sorry.

ALAN GREENBERG: What was the other one you said?

GARTH BRUEN: There's New gTLDs which has Avri as Chair and then there's New gTLD Review Group which has Dev as Chair.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay, Alan, you want this?

ALAN GREENBERG: I can't remember what it is so you go ahead.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay, okay. The New gTLD Working Group, the one that Avri Chairs is the general purpose policy discussions that go in on everything to do with At-Large and the New gTLD Program. The Review Team – the one that Dev is Chair of – was a specific group that was charged in reviewing objection processes that might have been submitted by the community.

In return as part of the development of the Application Program, both the GAC and ALAC were bequeathed, shall we say, formal methods of processing objections and forwarding them into ICANN. So if a community member saw that something was really objectionable on whatever grounds, there was a path to send that through the GAC, through the ALAC, through the independent objector so there were all these channels allowed for people to give in their objections.

The Review Team, we received I believe so that's the one that Dev is involved with, the one that actually receives specific objections from community members to applications for gTLDs and in fact that group has already produced a report. I believe the deadline was extended for one more week but that's essentially the difference, Garth.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Thank you very much. This is Garth. I think that we probably should clarify that somewhere because people may submit issues or questions to the review group that are unrelated to... or are not specific to it.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

If worse comes to worse, have them send it to Avri's overarching working group and that group knows where to punt things if necessary.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Olivier, you have your hand up.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Garth. I was just going to add that the review group is going to continue. At the moment it's only started having comments. It will then process any objections so its work is far from finished. But that review group has been created and is a closed group. In other words, they don't accept any additional people on there. It was one which was created specifically for the purpose of reviews and that is geographically balanced, etc.

On the other hand, the At-Large New gTLD Working Group – the one which Avri is chairing – is one that accepts membership from new people. So you're all encouraged to send an email to Avri or to ask staff to be added over to this working group. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, that's great; that's good. We're getting somewhere on all the working groups. Alright, this is good. If there are no objections, I will move on to point 5 which is a standing item I have added called ALS Spotlight. What this is, is that each month during the calls we will feature a NARALO ALS to give a brief, just a very, very brief introduction to what their ALS is.

This month I'll just give it very quickly for myself and then maybe in successive months we will invite the newer ALSes to come in and explain on the call what they do. And then we can just go forward and go through the whole circle of reintroducing existing ALSes so everybody has a fresh image in their mind of what the ALS does.

For me in particular it's [NewJohn.com] and what I do is I accept abuse information from internet users and I use it to conduct research into

policy to figure out the best avenue of addressing that abuse and we have about 2,000 registered members and even more unregistered members who submit their information to us and we send reports back to them indicating what we have done with their abuse information and what kind of policy initiatives have come out as a result.

That's basically what I'm looking for in terms of just introducing your ALS to the group. I'm going to solicit volunteers from our newer ALSes in the months to come and we'll do this on each call.

Cross-RALO relations is something we want to keep in mind – agenda 5.6 – as part of the communication strategy. I was hoping Darlene would be on the call – 5.7 – I want to make sure that we get new members on the Skype group because I personally was not a member of the Skype group and I was missing out on, I don't know, maybe not too much conversation but some conversation.

And there were other Skype groups out there I've had to search for to find out who to contact to be on them. So I think as far as NARALO goes, we need to be proactive in making sure that the new membership knows about the Skype group and I'll talk to Darlene directly about that.

Moving on to agenda item 6 – Beijing and the Summit. Not too much information I'm aware of yet on the Summit unless staff has any kind of additional information on the Summit? No? Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Hi, Garth. Not yet. Again, as discussed in Toronto, really the first step towards this would be for the ALAC and perhaps the RALOs to submit the request for a Summit in 2014 as a FY14 budget requests.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay, alright, then just as a running agenda item we will keep tabs on this and make sure that we're mindful of that. This is Garth. In terms of Beijing, one of the most important things that has come out recently concerned Visa information and staff sent out an email about Visa information and I've put in the links there for the U.S. and Canada.

And I've heard different stories about Visas and where you're supposed to get them and how you're supposed to get them. Somebody told me that I actually had to go to an office in New York – the Chinese Consulate in New York – to get a Visa, but that doesn't seem to be the case; there seems to be one location online to get them. Is that the case, staff, do you know?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Garth, this is Heidi. For the U.S. citizens, I'm not sure about that issue. But if I could add a few comments, so we are very aware that Visas to China will take a significant amount of time and I've brought this up to Constituency Travel. They are completely in agreement as well so the next step – and this is going to happen relatively soon – as far as At-Large staff – to send Constituency Travel a list of those At-Large travelers that we know are going to be in Beijing.

This again would be earlier than we would normally. So once they have that, then they will be able to start contacting you and moving ahead with this. So I've heard, at least in the case of some Latin American countries, that people getting Visas require hotel confirmation, a letter

from the host, a booked flight, so that's why we're moving ahead earlier than in the past.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. I see a hand up from Policy Host No. 2.

HEIDI ULLRICH: That's me.

GARTH BRUEN: Alright. Alan, you have your hand up please?

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, thank you. This isn't a comment about China but I wouldn't be surprised if it applies. But for many countries you'll find that the rules vary, depending on what office you're dealing with. So in Canada we've had situations where the Montreal Consulate is one thing, the Toronto Consulate is completely different and the Embassy in Ottawa does yet a third variation, as if they were working from completely different national policies. I wouldn't be surprised if the same is true for China, but I don't know. It's the kind of thing one expects in this kind of business.

GARTH BRUEN: Yeah. This is Garth. I've put this on there as a standing item so we are mindful of it and we keep track of any kind of problems. And I should say to the group that if you are having some sort of problem or you have a question, please bring it up early so we can address. And

especially if everybody's having the same problem, it's definitely something probably that staff can address. Eduardo, you have your hand up

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, this is Eduardo for the record. I just wanted to let you know my experience. I went to Beijing in China about two years ago and I had to send a copy of a letter about the hotel and my passport to the office in New York. So I sent it by mail, they [put] the visa and they sent it back. That was my experience at that time. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Eduardo, did you actually have to send your actual Visa in the mail? I mean your passport in the mail?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yep. I mean the other choice I had was to fly to New York.

ALAN GREENBERG: It's Alan speaking. That's very common.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Okay.

ALAN GREENBERG: And Evan asked a good question in the chat, if you have an answer.

GARTH BRUEN: “Is it clear which one we are applying for,” I guess which type of Visa we are applying for.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Like there is a tourist Visa; there is a journalist Visa; there is a... so there’s different kinds of Visas and we’re not traveling on business. I’m not there to sell anything or buy anything. So I’m just wondering. I think we probably need some advice from the host on what kind of Visa we’re looking for.

GARTH BRUEN: This is Garth. I think it said on the ICANN site that it was a business Visa. Maybe staff can clear that up.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry, Garth, could you repeat that please?

GARTH BRUEN: Well Evan was asking what type of Visa we’re supposed to be looking at and I think it says on the ICANN site that it’s a business Visa.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I would need to confirm that. I know that when staff goes to these meetings, we don’t say that we’re on business. Business, we’re informed, mostly means if you’re planning on something or conducting business rather than going to a conference. Let me see if I can confirm that during this call.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you. Gordon, you have your hand up?

GORDON CHILLCOTT: This is Gordon for the record, Garth. On the Embassy website, they make a specific statement about attendance at tradeshows for which they require a business Visa.

GARTH BRUEN: Oh. [laughs]

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Gordon, except that we're not going there to do business. When I attend an ICANN conference, I do not consider that I'm there to do business.

GORDON CHILLCOTT: Yeah but they talk about attendance at a tradeshow. The definitions vary.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Is an ICANN conference a tradeshow?

GARTH BRUEN: I think we need to be specific.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. I think a tradeshow, you're going there to actually conduct business with Chinese companies, etc. So let me see if I can get an answer from Constituency Travel.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. This is Garth. We will keep very, very close tabs on this particular issue. Moving on then we have agenda item 7 on New gTLDs. I just put a couple of notes in there about some recent news stories. I had no intention of discussing it but if other people want to discuss it. Gordon, you still have your hand up. Did you have another comment?

GORDON CHILLCOTT: Sorry about that. It's Gordon.

GARTH BRUEN: No problem. Okay then if there are no objections, I will move on to agenda item 8 which is the Nominating Committee and maybe Glenn can give us a brief update on Nominating Committee activities.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Hi everybody. Glenn for the record. I posted a previous – if you look at the chat box – I made the link and I've sent this out before. We're doing once a month reports to the wider community on our progress. We've opened up our new page for the new form. We've refined the application process a little bit as well.

And we've gone through a lot of I guess you would say soul-searching after Rob Hall's documentation that was just at the start of ICANN

Toronto. But there's a number of innovations that we've done. We also have Alan Peake involved with us as well so there's three individuals.

And for the good news, there's that we have two ALAC members – the Chair and the Chair-Elect, so it looks very exciting. The only downside we had, we had three of our ALAC members that could not attend again because of Visa and we were not able to connect with them properly by Adobe Connect so they really were left out with the meetings we had in Toronto.

But we are meeting for our first meeting next week so I think we're moving along quite well and I think one of the innovations we're having – we're taping every single session which is not public, but for the record. That's it. Any questions?

GARTH BRUEN:

Any questions for Glenn before we move on? Nope. Okay. Then we will move on to agenda item 9. This is Garth for the record. This concerns various ALAC issues and in particular something that's come up over the weekend and apparently things are moving very quickly on this and I'm going to turn it over to Evan and Alan who have been at least sharing some of the information with me to talk about it better than me. Thank you.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Okay, Alan, why don't you get this; you're a little deeper into it than I am.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I presume we're talking about the Los Angeles meeting? Okay, out of Toronto one of the items that Fadi walked away with, saying he's going to take personal responsibility for because how staff had been handling it was subject to strong question was the Trademark Clearinghouse Implementation.

Just the short version of that is registries who have to implement this had been working on something that they were basically told by staff to, "Bug off; we're doing it our way; we're not interested in what you said." That's not verbatim, but it's pretty close and a number of people in registries and I for that matter were quite upset.

Fadi took responsibility for that. A meeting was held in Brussels which we were not invited to. We won't go into why that happened cause I don't know why, but we weren't. Some NCSG people heard about it and were involved. They made sure that we would be involved in any follow-on meetings and as a result I believe we will be invited, although we have not been invited yet - perhaps staff can look into that - to participate in the meeting which I believe is this coming Thursday and Friday in Los Angeles.

The issue is on changes that have been requested by the Business Constituency and the Intellectual Property Constituency in Toronto and are saying these are things which they believe are necessary in terms of trademark protection and the meeting is a follow-on.

I sent something out to the ALAC list and to the New gTLD Working Group and, Garth, I don't know. Did you put a link to one of those messages in the agenda or...?

GARTH BRUEN: Yes, I did. I put a link to the one that Evan had sent me which I believe is the same one that you sent out earlier today.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: That's basically Metalitz's letter.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, no, no but what you want to do is put a link to the message on the ALAC list which is what we're looking for input on. I'll put that in the chat as soon as I stop speaking.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: So essentially there are a number of issues. What I've now done is - following a significant amount of discussion last week - is put what I believe is the position that I or we - we still don't know if one or two people as representatives of ALAC on this group - what positions we will take - and we're looking for feedback quickly if indeed what we're saying is not what other people think it should be.

I don't think there's anything controversial there in terms of positions we've taken in the past, but we need to vet it before we pretend that

we're really representing ALAC. There is no time for something more formal than this so this will have to suffice.

It was sent to the ALAC list as I have certainly no problem with ALAC or RALO people redistributing it to regional lists if they choose. And Garth, actually you're on the ALAC list so you did get a copy of that letter from me.

GARTH BRUEN: Yes, I did.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, I'll put a link however, on the chat in a moment. Evan, did I miss anything?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: That's pretty close. I mean, we could talk about it for an awfully long time. I think your summary is pretty good.

ALAN GREENBERG: We can talk about the substance. I don't think we have the time on this call. If anyone's interested, I'm certainly willing but the meeting is likely to convene in two days, three days from now. If anyone has any strong feelings that were misdirected, say so.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay we'll give everybody an opportunity to catch up with this material and develop their opinion and we'll put it as part of the agenda in the

action items and what not so everyone has access to it. Are there any other ALAC burning items any ALAC members want to discuss – Olivier, Evan, Eduardo and Alan? No. Okay.

ALAN GREENBERG:

It's Alan. The only other thing is there was a review of the draft ALAC Rules of Procedure in Toronto. I know all of the groups are going to be over the next couple of weeks where things were delayed because of Baku are going to be coming up with slightly revised versions of them and this is the time that the RALOs – through their regional reps – need to give any input if they think something is misdirected.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Thank you. Alright and seeing no hands up or any other items popping up in the chat, we will move on to agenda item No. 10 which is a standing item called ICANN Functions and this is also something which is within the communication strategy as a way of keeping us on track in terms of the business that we're doing here, specifically in terms of ICANN functions.

And there were just three that I've put in there as examples because they are ones that have come up recently. One is Compliance; one is Language and Translation and the other one is (inaudible).

Now I will be drafting on a regular basis a compliance list of questions to send directly to Compliance or maybe I'll put them to staff to forward them to Compliance. Just as an example, Tom complained to me last week about somebody trying to aggressively sell him other gTLD domains and he was upset about this, and it's something that I've

received myself and just ignored. But perhaps this is something that the community should take seriously and find a way within ICANN to address it.

And this is just an example of the kind of thing that I want to collect from everybody so we can formalize all of our questions to Compliance on a regular basis.

And then of course we have Travel and we actually have some specific agenda items for Travel. One was that the Travel Constituency be on the call ahead of meetings to address any questions or issues that might come up. And this is something that has been pointed out to me that we've done in the past and we probably should have done for Toronto.

We still have a few remaining items from the Toronto meeting. One of them is my personal reimbursement for airfare and the other one is the *per diem* reimbursement for Glenn. Now I'm sure that these are in process, but one of the things that Glenn and I had talked about was the possibility of adding a tracking number for travel requests so there's some sort of status associated with them. I mean is this something that's a possibility? This question's for staff.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Hi, Garth. This is Heidi. I would need to ask Contingency Travel about that because it really would be a tracking system for them because they handle both of those. If you could just send me a note about... I hadn't heard about your airfare issue. Regarding Glenn, I think that's a *per diem*. Is that Joan's *per diem*, a wire transfer fee?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: No, it's mine; my *per diem*.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay yeah, if you could send me a note again on that and I'll follow up immediately with Joseph on that.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay and I think – this is Garth – I think one of the things at that NARALO members are concerned with is expectation on timing and it's not always clear what the expectation is on timing. I think if Constituency Travel says it's going to take a month, then we know it's going to take a month. And we don't always know how long it's going to take, so this is just something we need to note for the future. Alan, you have your hand up please.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, again things were working well for a while. They're not working quite as well now. I got my *per diem* I think the day after I left. In my case I really wasn't short of the cash and it was only in Toronto so it wasn't a problem. But you know, there's really no excuse for that unless... I can't think of any excuse why things should be that delayed for a traveler who is on the list from the very beginning.

And there's other annoying things. Heidi has mentioned wire transfer fees on *per diem* which they unilaterally decided to stop paying right now. For me it's only \$10; it's an annoyance. For someone else in Africa or someplace like that where their wire transfer fees are more

outrageous, I don't think it's fair to ask our volunteers to subsidize ICANN.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Garth, I did follow up with Contingency Travel on the wire transfer fees. I heard from Joseph that ICANN still does pay for them.

ALAN GREENBERG: I believe they did not in my case this time when they have in the past.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So my understanding is that the fee is... you'll see that fee in your bank statement and then you'll have to send us a picture of that to Constituency Travel and they'll follow up on that.

ALAN GREENBERG: Nobody ever told me that rule, but okay.

GARTH BRUEN: This is Garth. Yeah, that's all new information. I will put out an email to everybody who went to Toronto to see if they had transfer fees and to make sure that they document them. That's the first I've heard of it too.

HEIDI ULLRICH: If I could just do one more follow-up on that. Sorry. Again the issue of is it worth it for the \$10? That's up to you and I know that they're looking into that question for Joan as well. I'm well aware if it's more like for Africa and others, it might be a significant fee.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, alright. This is Garth.

ALAN GREENBERG: Heidi, just to follow up. It's Alan speaking. It was part of their official policy that they documented this time that they would not pay fees. If they're now saying they'll pay them if you send them a photocopy of a bank statement, that's not the way to run a business.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, this is Garth. We will conclude this as an ongoing item to keep an eye on and make sure that we get the procedure right and we get the details right on what is paid for and what is not paid for.

Another item that is very serious in terms of travel are the shuttles from spill-over hotels. Now I was somewhat concerned that... I mean I was in the main venue hotel and I did not know that there were no shuttles from the spill-over hotels and I had assumed that there were because on previous trips I had stayed at these spill-over hotels and there were shuttles.

So I'm just wondering from staff's perspective, what is the standard for shuttles from the spill-over hotels? And is it something that can be expected or is it something that needs to be requested specifically?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi again. This is not something that Policy Staff would know so perhaps we can get an official response from Meeting Staff. But again, as Evan pointed out on the list, when the Super 8 was chosen in Toronto, at the time it was chosen primarily because it was thought that there was a direct metro line or streetcar line from that hotel to the venue. But in the meantime there was some construction going on which stopped those lines. Evan, is that correct?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Yeah it is. Normally there was a streetcar that practically went from door-to-door from the hotel to the venue. Two things had happened. No. 1 is that line had been split into two – the north/south component and the east/west component were split into two lines. And then the north/south one essentially... the road was all dug up meaning that it was a traffic nightmare.

GARTH BRUEN: This is Garth. Heidi, was there a shuttle from the [Novatel]?

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. I would need to ask Meeting Staff about that.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: My guess, Garth, is that there was not because the [Novatel] actually was literally like three or four blocks through a fairly safe part of the city. So I can't imagine they would have provided one. It would have actually been a lot less time to walk than to take a shuttle.

GARTH BRUEN: Yeah. This is Garth. I just think we need to be up front about what the expectations are because I seem to remember in Dakar there was a shuttle from the two hotels and they were really, really close to each other. Alan, you still have your hand up. Did you have something else?

ALAN GREENBERG: No, sorry. It should be down.

GARTH BRUEN: That's okay. We will continue to monitor this and make sure we're aware of all the shuttles that are available at next meetings. Louis, you have your hand up please.

LOUIS HOULE: Yes, well we better organize some shuttles in Beijing because the streets are kind of hard to interpret there.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, thank you. Very good. This is Garth. So these are all issues that we will continue to monitor and I'll continue to document. The call is running over a little bit so very, very quickly, under New Business I put in two standing sections.

One is called News because people are always sending me things and people are always posting things on the list and obviously they're doing it because they think it's important. So I'm going to put them here so if anybody does want to review them, anybody does want to discuss them they can.

The other item – More NARALO Buzz Items – things that might be more specifically applicable to At-Large. One of them is that there was an idea from a community member, a NARALO member. They thought that Richard Branson would be a good person to keynote in China because of all of his recent commentaries. So that's just something that's out there for people to think about. Joly, you have your hand up. Please, Joly. Are you there, Joly?

JOLY MACFIE:

I'm here. We're running an event on Thursday on the Six Strike Program that's been introduced in America, you know a deal between big content and big ISPs where they're gonna like... six strikes and they'll eventually not disconnect but throttle users. And I think this is a big deal for us, it's a big conference. I shall post the link right now; we will be webcasting it.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Thank you very much, Joly. Now Glenn, you have your hand up? Go ahead, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Are we going to do... I know we're not going to recruit people in China, but are we going to look at a table top idea again with a slideshow in Beijing? Might as well bring that up now to start thinking about it.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, certainly I'll put that down in the notes but if there are no other comments on it, we'll just note it and move on. I believe Alan is next and then policy host 2 after that.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. Two comments on the news articles. The one on Karen McCarthy, as Evan pointed out is almost two years old so I'm not quite sure why it's a news article now.

And the one on internet in the developing world – there was an article that... actually you may have pointed to it. I'm sorry, I think you did point to it cause Glenn had sent around another link and that's your second link on that line which I think is a more relevant one from a personal point of view than the first one. I did a lot of research and I did part of a book earlier this year on that kind of issue and I think the second one has an important message in it. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. This is Garth and we'll continue to raise that issue because it's something that other people have pointed out to me and something that I've noticed over and over again. Now going to policy host 2 – I believe it's Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes, thank you Garth. Just responding to Glenn’s question about the table top in Beijing – just to let you know that APRALO is going to be holding their General Assembly and session in Beijing so I’m not sure if you... when you said “we” whether that’s At-Large or whether that’s NARALO in particular. But the Organizing Committee for the APRALO event in Beijing will be starting very shortly. So I can bring that up that you wish to hold an event or an activity similar to that that took place in Toronto.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. Joly, you still have your hand up. Did you have further comment? Okay, I’m going to move on then. The second item underneath the Branson note is about – is the internet really prepared for disaster. And this question really came up because of Hurricane Sandy and specifically what happened in New York and New Jersey.

And we’ve been reading lots of reports and getting anecdotal information about really critical portions of the internet being kept online by diesel fuel generators and I think it was Eric who put the question out there – are there requirements for fail over that are not being adhered to. Is there something that we need to address on a policy level within ICANN and maybe I can get some people’s thoughts on that. No? Okay. I still consider it to be... Alan, you have your hand up please.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, I'm not sure what the issue is you're raising. I mean, the world has lived on diesel generators when power goes out for various reasons for many decades now and I'm not sure what the problem is.

GARTH BRUEN: This is Garth. I think... Let me rephrase it. I think what we're saying is that we have certain sectors or certain pass-throughs for the internet in certain areas. So in New York what's been happening is that the power went out, they're using fossil fuel to keep the internet going and then at the same time they weren't able to get fuel into the city and there has been rationing and scarcity of the fuel.

And this has been dragging on for several weeks now. So the question is what happens to the internet when that actually does reach a point of complete failure, where they run out of the gas too.

ALAN GREENBERG: Well I think the real problem is over the years the number of single points of failure have increased because of consolidation and mergers of companies and putting things in the same building because it's convenient to have things in the same building. You have a number of very, very sensitive places that if it goes out, then a significant part of the internet goes out. That's a problem but I don't think it's anything within our scope that we can come anywhere near addressing.

GARTH BRUEN: This is Garth again. Is it within our scope when it comes to maybe a registry or a registrar within that zone? What are their requirements for

having a secondary site outside of a disaster zone? I don't know. This is an open question, maybe something that we need to keep discussing.

LOUIS HOULE: This is Louis for the record. Anyway, if you were to run a register, you should be aware that if you have a copy somewhere else on the planet you'd behave more carefully than if you don't. I think that it's a good practice.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. This is Garth. I think that there's enough concern about this, enough open questions to keep talking about it. We're running way over time so I'm going to put the question out there very specifically. Is there anything else anybody else wants to talk about before we close the call? Alan, you still have your hand up. Is that old?

ALAN GREENBERG: Very.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, alright. If nobody has any other issues or no other burning items, I will close the call for this month and feel free to email me or ping me otherwise with any other pressing issues. Thank you very much for your participation.

[End of Transcript]