

MATT ASHTIANI: Good morning, good afternoon, good evening everyone. Welcome to the NARALO monthly call on Monday, 8 October 2012 at 19:00 UTC. On today's call we have Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Garth Bruen, Gordon Chillcott, Seth Reiss, Eduardo Diaz, Allan Skuce and Evan Leibovitch. Apologies from Gareth Shearman. From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco myself, Matt Ashtiani. Please let me know if I've missed anyone. Please state your names when speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you and over to you, Garth.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you very much, Matt. I wanted to start off by saying welcome back, Darlene, but I didn't hear her name on the call and I don't see her in the chat room. Is Darlene on the call?

MATT ASHTIANI: Darlene is not on the call but Avri said she is, so it should be recorded as such.

GARTH BRUEN: We will skip welcoming back Darlene then and move right on to the next item under Review Action Items. The first item is Posting of NARALO Monthly Report and I'm somewhat embarrassed that there haven't been any reports in a year.

I was not aware of this. Obviously it's not my fault. I'm taking responsibility for it and there will be a report every month going

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

forward. My goal will be to release these reports right after the monthly call except in this particular case I'm going to release it after the ICANN meeting in Toronto.

As far as these reports go, I welcome everybody's input into these reports. If there's something you want to see, a topic you want mentioned, I encourage you to forward it to me so they can go into the reports. These reports are for everybody and they're for all of our activity and in some cases I will be soliciting information to include in the reports from our membership.

The third item is recognizing ICANN's organizational changes by the new CEO and I think many of us – I can't speak for everybody – believes that these are positive changes and I think to a certain extent we may have had some influence over them. I have no idea how much but anything that the community has managed to encourage in terms of the positive change is certainly a welcome one.

The next item, Joly McFie had mentioned to me that he wanted details of the remote participation. I did not hear Joly on the call but that's okay. It's Columbus Day here in the States and I think a lot of people are off for a three-day weekend and I appreciate everybody from the States who managed to make the call today.

So my question to staff is are the remote participation details available yet on the agenda?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

This is Heidi. No, not quite yet and the information for the Adigo calls are on the meeting notes on the official ICANN schedule. AC room

addresses are not available yet and we have been following up with IT staff several times and they said it will be announced shortly, or at least on the At-Large page very shortly.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay thank you very much. This is Garth again. I'll make sure I follow up with him to give him those details and keep checking for the specifics.

And as many of you are aware, we are creating a special slideshow for the table top we're going to have in the ICANN Village and this will just be a rolling, rotating slideshow that kind of explains to the public passing by who we are, what we do and then, most importantly, how to join.

And I don't have the link up there yet because it's not quite complete and Glenn and myself, Eduardo and Gordon have all been working on it and maybe we might have to just do a little clean up, actually just ahead of the meeting while we're in Toronto and we can all meet face-to-face.

There is a mailing list for the Toronto event participants which I tested today. There are a couple of bugs – one was the incorrect string was in the email address. This has been corrected and I personally had a problem actually posting to it, but this has also been corrected. I encourage anybody who has a public item for anybody within NARALO who is going to be in Toronto to share it with this list so everybody can benefit from it. Thank you very much.

In terms of travel details, on the *per diem* I received a notice on Friday that it was being issued. I actually didn't see anything in my account

today but I'm not surprised because, as I said, today is Columbus Day. I think most of the banks are closed so I might not see anything until tomorrow. Has anybody else seen anything? You don't have to say anything on the call. If you have actually seen something on your account, maybe you can just put a check box in there so we all know what's happening.

And then in terms of the actual travel details, arrangements, flights, hotel, etc. etc., is everybody squared away with what they need? And I will take silence as a note that everybody is squared away. Okay, that's fantastic. Alright.

Moving on to agenda item 3 – the actual discussion of the NARALO Toronto activities – and thank you to everybody on the committee who has been helping with the development of the activities.

The first sub-item – Calling Up the Troops Rallying Point – and I have noted in my calculation that we're 25 strong and when I say 25 strong I mean that there are 25 individual NARALO members who are going to be at the meeting. I think that that's great.

We actually worked pretty hard to make sure we had sufficient numbers coming to the meeting and that when some people couldn't make it, we found substitutes and we were pretty aggressive in that. I feel pretty good about what we've been able to accomplish in that area.

And I put in parentheses there – 50 by the next North American meeting. I think that this is a good goal. I think that if we can double the number of members present at the meeting by the next meeting that takes place in North America, I think that we should set that as a

goal for ourselves. This would be separate from the goal of actually recruiting ALSes which would of course be part of this.

Sub-item II – the Yellow Sign. We’re going to be wearing yellow. I myself have purchased three yellow ties to wear on different days at the meeting.

And for those of you that haven’t been on previous calls and haven’t been part of the planning, we’re encouraging NARALO members to wear something yellow as a way of identifying ourselves in addition to the pins to potential new members to do some discussion, to become a point of contact during the various events. People have had some creative ideas about what they can wear that is yellow and if you have your own idea - that would be great.

The third item – third Roman Numeral sub-item under 3A is Answer My Questions Three on the Other Side You See. I’m going to be conducting very, very brief personal interviews with as many members as I can meet face-to-face. I have three very simple questions that will help me understand everybody’s perspective and it will help me make a catalog in my brain of everything that people are interested in, everything people feel passionate about. And it will help me work the agenda better over the year as I continue to step in the role of being the Chair.

So if you see me and I haven’t asked you these three questions, stop me and we’ll sit down and we’ll do it. It’s going to be very quick. If there’s time and it turns into a conversation, that’s fantastic too. In terms of my availability, I’m of course going to be at as much of the different sessions as possible, especially all the ones that I’m a member of the

working group of, especially the ones that I'm going to be chairing myself.

And then the Saturday night before the meeting starts, I'm going to find someplace in the main lobby of the hotel to kind of plant myself so people can find me and I'll send out the specifics on that later. Maybe we can meet for a drink and that would be great.

Moving on to 3B – Activities and Meetings. ICANN has posted the full schedule and the link is provided in the Wiki there. II – The At-Large Meeting on Sunday – that's actually a link to Sunday but at that link you can find the agendas for all of the At-Large ALAC activities for the entire week, going forward Monday through Sunday. This just happened to be the first one I came across so I put that one in there.

Now in terms of the Future Challenges Working Group, there is a meeting time and place assigned for that and I would like to give Evan an opportunity to discuss this if he needs to.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Okay thanks, Garth. The Future Challenges Working Group is... essentially we're going to be working on two different things at the Toronto conference, one of which is getting the word out on the R3 Working Paper which has now been endorsed by ALAC by a very gratifying vote of 15 to 0 against; none abstained.

And so we have a task now of trying to advance this to start discussion within ICANN about making itself more user-focused in light of a number of external challenges that are happening. And one of the things that we're now going to be taking on based on conversations I've

had with the other Co-Chair is starting to have a conversation about what ICANN should be doing with all this new excess money that it's going to be making once this \$185,000 per application comes in.

The amount of applications for TLDs has been far more than ICANN expected and it's not going to cost as much money to do the roll-out as it's getting in in revenue. So one of the things that we want to start now having is a conversation of what ICANN can do perhaps to help protect and enhance the public interest when it comes to internet issues, using the revenue coming from that.

It's going to be a lively discussion. I'm sure the domain industry has its ideas on what it would like to have happen and we want to make sure that not only are we not caught off-guard but perhaps we ought to be the ones that are starting the conversation. Thanks for the opportunity, Garth.

GARTH BRUEN: Of course, Evan, always. This is Garth again. The next item – we have a scheduled meeting with Compliance on Sunday.

ALAN GREENBERG: Garth, it's Alan. I have a question for Evan.

GARTH BRUEN: Oh, Alan, please go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG: Evan, you said that the roll-out is not going to cost \$185K per TLD. Is that an opinion or a statement that ICANN has made?

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: It's an opinion based on some of the number crunching I believe that Jean-Jacques has been doing.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay but at this point that is an opinion.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: He has not come out and stated that. Yes, we are pre-supposing that if you crunch the numbers of the amount of money that ICANN is going to get between the applications and the likely auctions to come out of it, that we don't believe it's going to cost ICANN that much to process the TLD roll-out as it's being envisioned.

And so in anticipation of there being excess revenue, we would like to start a conversation now on what to do with it.

ALAN GREENBERG: Just for the record, auctions are a separate issue and that discussion has been raised many times. In terms of the fee, ICANN has stated that it will go either towards future rounds or repaying the sum costs which were not going to be repaid as such.

However, note that once these TLDs roll out, there will be significant revenue coming in operationally and that certainly should not be ignored either. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you, Alan, for that question. That's interesting. Alan, are you on the New gTLD Working Group?

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm on the mailing list. I haven't been an active participant. On the New gTLD – sorry – yes I am on that group.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Have you posted those questions or concerns there cause other people might find that interesting.

ALAN GREENBERG: I didn't think that that was a New gTLD issue. Evan was reporting on the Future Challenges, I thought.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: That's correct. Essentially Future Challenges was going to be looking at the issues of a whole bunch of new revenue coming into ICANN and what to do with it at a very high level. This is not meant to be...

ALAN GREENBERG: Right, Garth asked if I was on the New gTLD Committee. I am on the New gTLD Committee; I am on the mailing list for Future Challenges but I believe – at least I was at one point – but I have not been an active participant.

GARTH BRUEN: This is Garth again. I just think that if there's speculation about the actual dollar amount that's going to come in from these applications, I think that's an interesting topic for... maybe it's not appropriate for that group, but whatever. This is aside from the main topics.

Moving on to Compliance Agenda. We have a meeting with Compliance on Sunday and this has been an item which has been rolling around for quite a while. I think at times we have been encouraged on progress and then at times I feel like things have been stalled. This week I think things have been stalled. [laughs] Olivier, do you have any updates or comments on this?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Olivier, this is Heidi. If you're speaking, you're on mute.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Heidi. It's Olivier for the transcript. I managed to mute myself. For some reason I could not. No update on this from me.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Alright then I guess we will move on if there's nothing for the group to be able to do at this time.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Garth, could I just make a comment? This is Heidi. I just noted that I put the link to the question that I have sent to Compliance late last week and I think I noticed on the agenda today that there were some additional questions coming from you – is that correct?

GARTH BRUEN: Not exactly. There's a question which I've just briefly put in and it was from one of my members – the members of my ALS – about ccTLD compliance and his concern was about ccTLD abuse. And obviously this is not a direct concern for the Compliance Department; it's more of a point of discussion.

And because of the response to questions about ccTLDs are usually somewhat deflect in that, "well, it's a sovereignty issue and we don't talk about that here." I think it may an appropriate topic for the community to discuss, so I wanted to put that idea out there. Heidi, you have something else to say, please.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah just a quick follow-up. Thank you for that update. This is Heidi. You'll see that on one of Evan's questions on the questions sent to Compliance, there was a point about follow-up from past meetings, so I looked up your questions, Garth, that you asked in the AC in Prague and I've sent those to Compliance as well. So if there's any follow-up there, they should be answering those in Toronto. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Much appreciated, Heidi. Okay, so this is more of something for discussion. Maybe within the community we can find alternative ways of dealing with abuses within a ccTLD or a ccTLD that's gone rogue. I know that this is a very touchy subject but I think it's something that we should keep discussing because it's something that concerns the community out there.

In terms of Other Meetings of Importance – now I of course have some of the major ones we’ve been discussing further down. For example, Capacity Building, the Showcase, the General Assembly, the Secretariat’s Meeting. But I wanted to give anybody an opportunity who wants to discuss another meeting to post it here or to email me or figure out another way that we can raise an interest in it. And I’ll give a minute to anybody who wants to jump in and mention a meeting that they feel is important and they want to discuss on this call.

Okay, not seeing any activity or hearing from anybody, we will move on. B-III – Capacity Building Morning Sessions – Monday through Thursday. And I am still updating these. What I have done is I have created a theme for each day.

And Monday’s theme is Community Communications; Tuesday’s theme is Recruitment; Thursday’s theme is Communications – Inner Workings of NARALO and Thursday is NARALO Communications – Web and Media. And we can get into the specifics of what each one of these means.

For Monday we had scheduled... we had Chris from the Ombudsman’s Office or actually the Ombudsman – to help us to maybe work through some political issues within the RALO and maybe some ways we can solve disputes and maybe even help some of the other RALOs solve disputes that they’re having from outside. It’s just some possibilities for discussion and there are some more details I’m working on in terms of what will be discussed there.

On Tuesday I wanted to focus on recruitment and of course I’d like to get some other people’s thoughts on this. And Heidi, specifically, you

had put in two items within Tuesday's agenda – one was At-Large Wiki Training and then one was Synchronization With the At-Large Community Calendar. I was just thinking that these might be better topics for the agenda on Thursday and I was wondering if this was something that was set in stone or if it was something that can be moved.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. Absolutely they can be moved. Did you put down what you would like on Tuesday instead?

GARTH BRUEN: Yes and I'm still working on the specifics of that but I didn't want to remove your items without discussing it.

HEIDI ULLRICH: No, they're your items.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. I didn't want to assume that it was a staff member who wasn't going to be available at another time.

HEIDI ULLRICH: No, no.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, alright. From a previous discussion I had brought up the idea of seeking out new ALSes in Bermuda. I was corrected by Evan in that

Bermuda is part of EURALO and I'm certainly not trying to poach other people's members; certainly not doing that. So we're going to look for members in other island places – maybe Guam, maybe the Virgin Islands – and we'll find an island somewhere.

In terms of new members, I was thinking not only discussing what types of groups and what types of communities we want to try and recruit, but maybe breaking down with our current membership a strategy of reaching out state-by-state within the U.S. and then province-by-province in Canada.

And we already have some states and some provinces represented and I think that maybe we can use our local members to find other local members. And we can discuss this in more detail later.

And now something that I had discussed on the Toronto planning calls and also I had some back and forth with Alan on. And Alan is the resident expert on unaffiliated ALSes and I had some questions with him that I would like to share with everybody else and Alan is certainly welcome in this discussion and I may have some more specific questions for him.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Garth, it's just a correction – unaffiliated members, not ALSes.

GARTH BRUEN:

Oh I'm sorry; I'm sorry – unaffiliated members. And of course this is critical to get correct, especially in terms of the language, it's very important. Okay, so one of the things I noted when looking at the list of

ALSes is that the unaffiliated membership was not listed at an option. And I was thinking at the time that if somebody were to go to the At-Large pages and they were looking for groups that they wanted to join, they might not see something that they're interested in; they might not see something that appeals to them and they wouldn't know about the unaffiliated option.

So I had thought that the possibility of at least listing it there as a possibility, as a point of contact might be a good idea. Alan has pointed out some of the maybe sticky issues with considering unaffiliated to be an actual ALS and rather than fumble through the definition, I'll let Alan comment on it. If you can just describe it as best as you can – the relationship.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Sure. The rules for unaffiliated members are very simple. You must be a resident of North America or of the North American Region as defined by ICANN. You must be a member of the NA Discuss mailing list and you must put in a statement saying that that is the case and that's about it. I'm sorry, and you cannot be a member of a formal accredited ALS, and that's about it.

So membership is easy; it's cheap. All you have to do is essentially join the mailing list and say you qualify and that's about it. That being said, we have done virtually no advertising of it over the years and the only ALS unaffiliated members are essentially ICANN insiders who already knew about the process through other means. I think that is the case. There's one person who actually may have heard about it through somewhere else.

So there's plenty of opportunities to do that. Garth had mentioned he'd like to see it listed as the unaffiliated ALS and due to the relatively formal processes by which ALSes can qualify and the criteria they meet, I do not think we can call it an ALS but that doesn't mean we can't come up with the other name for it that makes it sound attractive, probably not using the word "unaffiliated" which itself is an unattractive word.

The fact that it's not an ALS doesn't mean that we can't list it somewhere with ALSes and things like that to make it visible and known to people. I don't think I had any other thoughts at this point.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay thank you very much, Alan, and I see Darlene is finally with us. Darlene, please go ahead. She has her hand up.

DARLENE THOMPSON:

[laughing] Yes I'm finally back. Thank you. My other question – and I have asked this to staff – is we have a couple of ALSes that are totally defunct and we need to get them off our roster. One is like dead in the water – they no longer exist at all. One is not participating anymore which would be Consumers WebWatch [Bozel] Agency who is... they're no longer interested. So we need to find out also how to delete ALSes from our roster and I haven't figured out how to do that yet. Thanks.

ALAN GREENBERG:

It's Alan speaking. I thought we have a process that if you don't participate two meetings in a row or vote twice in a row or something like that – I don't remember the specifics – then we will recommend to

the ALAC to decertify. There are some words in our Procedures about it. I haven't looked at them recently so I don't remember exactly what they are, but I think they're there.

DARLENE THOMPSON: We absolutely have rules in our Procedure. It's ICANN that doesn't have the means to delete them and that's what I'm getting at, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: What do you mean by ICANN? ALAC may not have ever done it and if there are no rules on how to do it, they need to come up with some. But my recollection is the rules on ALS approval also included a decertification section.

DARLENE THOMPSON: Exactly, and I would like to hear from staff on how we actually get them deleted because this has been something I've been in and asked for them to be deleted and it hasn't happened yet because...

ALAN GREENBERG: Olivier has his hand up but I would simply challenge the ALAC to decertify them and give them the task.

GARTH BRUEN: This is Garth. I'm going to jump in before we do anything else. I am going to recognize Olivier and I do want staff to be able to respond to Darlene. But before we do anything else, I have a few things I want to put on the table.

The first is that in previous Toronto planning calls, I had discussed the possibility of reaching back out to Consumer Reports to get somebody there involved. I would like the opportunity to be able to do that first, before we consider dumping them from the list.

In terms of actually dumping members from the list, I want to try and reengage as many of these folks as we possibly can first and I think that that should be our first task, before considering purging them from the rolls.

And I think if what we've been able to do leading up to this meeting in terms of reaching out to folks who have not been involved, getting them to the meeting, if that's any indication of what we are able to do in terms of reengaging folks, I think we should try that first. And having said that, I'm going to recognize Olivier, please.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thanks, Garth. It's Olivier for the transcript. I don't know the rules in NARALO for decertifying ALSes or sending a recommendation to the ALAC to decertify an ALS; however, I do urge NARALO to discuss this at the Regional and Leadership Meeting because this is a question and a problem that all of the RALOs face and it would be good if there was a united policy on how you would notify the ALAC.

The ALAC has to follow the same rules with everyone. So it would be good if all of the RALOs were able to provide the same type of information over to the ALAC if they wish an ALS to be decertified. That's all. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, and this is Garth again. Before I allow staff to answer the question that Darlene posed, I just think that we should take this very, very seriously and we should definitely have a discussion about it in several of the sessions in Toronto.

I don't think it's something that should be taken lightly and I lost my train of thought. Olivier, you still have your hand up? Olivier, did you have something else? No? Okay, right. Then I will ask staff to answer Darlene's question in terms of specific procedure. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay this is Heidi. Thank you, Garth; thank you, Darlene, for the question. You'll see that in the ICANN Bylaws I've just put in the text in the chat – let me read that for the record. "Decisions to certify or decertify an At-Large structure shall be made as decided by the ALAC in its Rules of Procedure. Any changes made to the Rules of Procedure in respect to ALS applications shall be subject to review by the RALOs and by the ICANN Board."

So again, because the ALAC Rules of Procedure are being revised, I'm not sure what it will be saying on this issue and then indeed whether the Board would then need to look at it as well as ALAC. So I think once the Rules of Procedure are revised and approved by the ALAC perhaps we can then discuss further and talk with ICANN Legal on that particular point. Darlene, does that answer your question?

GARTH BRUEN: Darlene, before I go to Alan, does that answer your question?

DARLENE THOMPSON: Yeah, I'm good with that although these are changes to the ALAC Rules of Procedure. I do realize that they are changing but if an ALS is completely dead as in they do not exist anymore, it seems pretty clear-cut to me and that is only Consumers WebWatchers of course still does exist but has shown no interest. So that could be a discussion point.

But one is completely defunct so that to me is like gone-gone-gone but yes, that's good.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, this is Garth. I think that Darlene's point is well taken. I just want to make sure we get the procedure right and then at least we take one last shot at resurrecting them. Cause it only helps the size of our community if we actually try and engage somebody. Olivier has his hand up again. Please, Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks, Garth. It's Olivier for the transcript. My recommendation or suggestion is to define what a dead ALS is, present this over to the Regional Leadership Meetings and find out if there are other such dead ALSes and in other RALOs because my feeling is that... I know actually for a fact that there are other RALOs facing the same issues.

It's just a case that if you're going to present a case to the ALAC, it would be good that all of the regions follow the same rules and the same case because it will make things a lot easier than to have to argue on each one of the cases. That's all. Thanks.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, thank you, Olivier. Alan, you have your hand up also.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yeah, I'll put in a link in the chat of the specific rules on how to decertify an ALS cause they are documented and were approved by the ALAC. My recollection is ALAC rules do not have to be passed by the Board. Supporting Organizational Rules... Committees do not have to be approved by the Board, although we normally pass them by ICANN Legal to make sure that there's nothing wrong in them.

Heidi's reference to Rules of Procedure is interesting in that the ALS processes I don't believe have ever been included in the Rules of Procedure. I may be wrong on that. Certainly there is a separate document that I'll send a pointer to document it. If it needs to be pointed to in the Rules of Procedure, this is a good time to have done it however. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, Heidi has her hand up. Please, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you. This is Heidi. I'm looking for a Wiki page that maybe you can find, Matt, that has all of the RALOs' texts or at least work efforts so far on developing texts on how to decertify ALSes and I know that this has been discussed in the last several Secretariat Regional Meetings.

So let me go ahead and look for that and you'll see that NARALO right now is the only RALO that has approved text on that particular point, even though other RALOs have been discussing it for some time. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

Alright thank you, Heidi. If you could send me that information too I'll make sure to put it on the Secretariat's agenda for next week. If we can move on if there are no objections, I'll move on to the Wednesday discussion.

We have – thanks to Heidi for arranging – we have Sally Costerton to discuss organizational communications. And some of the topics that I hope to be able to discuss at this particular session are just some of the day-to-day things and the leading up to meeting things we do and how to make them more efficient.

For example, I think the last time I had made a request to staff to actually put the telephone number for these calls along with the passcode into the email that was sent out into the membership. Because from my perspective, you had to click through several pages in order to get this information and when I think about volunteer membership and when I think about people who are trying to be engaging members of the community and get...

Sometimes we have these kind of barriers in terms of ease of use. I want to remove as many of those barriers as possible. And then today when I was looking at the email from staff for the meeting, I believe that there was a different terminology used for the passcode. I think it said

“bridge” on the email and then when you actually call the number, it asks for the ID.

And I just want to make sure that we’re always using the same terminology if possible. I mean, this may sound very nit-picky and I’m certainly not pointing the finger at any particular individual; I’m just saying if there are small things that we can do along the way to make our overall communications better, I’m just going to be making a note of them and constantly addressing them. Alan, you have your hand up, please.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yeah, just a quick comment. It’s not nit-picky. Our current processes have evolved over a number of years. I can tell you why the phone numbers were not included in the emails, but it’s a matter of history right now and it takes someone to notice these things and call them up. So it’s not nit-picky; it’s absolutely crucial. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you, Alan. This is Garth again. And then I also want to discuss some of the travel coordination. I mean, in my new role I’m actually hearing about everybody else’s experience in terms of dealing with Travel Constituency and I think that there have been some... you know, not horrendous cases, not huge cases, but here and there issues of confusion, issues of inconsistency and I want to figure out if there’s a better way that we can deal with it.

So overall I want to talk about the way that we talk to each other as a community, figure out better ways to streamline the communication

and make sure everybody is aware of everything that's going on and aware of their opportunity for input and participation.

Okay and then on Thursday, a slightly different side of NARALO communications – Web and Media. This is a very important discussion about reaching other members outside our community. And there are a lot of different sub-topics here.

One of them is an issue that Evan has brought up in terms of being able to go to different tradeshows or different consumer conferences to recruit members outside of ICANN. I think that if somebody who might be interested in being a NARALO is coming to an ICANN meeting, they're probably already on the path to doing it.

What we need to do is find people who aren't aware of it at all, outside the community, to bring them in. And I see Evan has his hand up about this topic and I'm going to give it to him. Go ahead, Evan.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Thanks, Garth. Basically people that have been around NARALO know this has sort of been a pet issue of mine for some time and that ICANN seems to have no problem rounding up the usual suspects, that is, those people in civil society and elsewhere that are already about ICANN's work and the significance of getting involved.

Our challenge in sort of representing the billions as At-Large is supposed to do is to try and attract the attention of people who otherwise barely even know what ICANN is let alone get involved in its governance. And in order to do that, to me the most cost-effective outreach is for us to

go and find the kind of people who would make the best possible entries into this.

And so my own analysis of this was that we should try and find technically aware members of the general public, as well as people in non-profits and civil society that might not be aware of ICANN.

So together with some other people we targeted essentially... we found a couple and if we had to narrow it down to two, the suggestion was for the non-profit community there's a conference called N10 that's held once a year and I believe the next one is I believe April in Minneapolis. And the other one is, of course, the Massive Consumer Electronics Show which is every January in Las Vegas.

Previously I've worked together with Wolfe Ludwig from EURALO in promoting a global program in which ICANN would find participation by At-Large in CES in Las Vegas, at CBit in Hanover, Germany and CompuTex Taipei. That proposal has been put forward a number of years for the last number of years and has been turned down every year, even though it's been endorsed by ALAC.

So in the absence of that, perhaps this is something that NARALO should essentially just propose on its own as a regional thing and concentrate on the two events – that is CES and N10 – that would probably get us the most bang for our buck in terms of the volunteer participation and keeping the cost down. Thank you.

GARTH BRUEN:

Thank you, Evan. This is Garth again. If you have any links to those particular conferences, can you send them to the group so people can familiarize themselves with them? Okay.

Still on to the same item in terms of web and media – I have created a sample test of what we are calling an Interest Form and this is basically the header of the ALS application. And if you were to click on that link you would be brought to a doppelganger copy of the actual NARALO home page.

And this is where we're going to be sending people who want information about NARALO who come to Toronto. They're going to go to www.naralo.org – that's on the pin, it's on the banner, etc. etc. And from there I found that there were multiple click-throughs in order to be able to get to the application.

And then the application itself can be somewhat overwhelming to people. And if we can figure out a way to simplify this and to speed the process up, that would be I think really beneficial and I think it would make the interest in this group and the availability of this group much better for new members.

And one of the things that I have put on the table for discussion is the possibility of creating a probationary membership which means that somebody fills out the Interest Form, we follow up with a telephone interview – that would be me or another officer within NARALO calling them, talking to them, walking them through the rest of the steps of the application process.

Once their application is filed, start getting them involved right away because I don't know how many weeks or months even that it may take to actually get somebody approved. If somebody is interested in joining and they fill out the application, we should find a way to get them involved as soon as possible and this is certainly something that we can discuss at the meeting.

Darlene puts her check box next to that. Thank you for the encouragement. I have a question specifically for staff in this area. This form that I've mocked up – the Interest Form – obviously we need to work with you in order to get the back end of that working and I'm certainly happy to participate and help out with that.

I think what happens in terms of the applications at the moment is somebody fills out the Word form and then they mail it to atlargestaff@icann.org – I think that's the process.

So what I want to do is mirror whatever is going on as seamlessly as possible on your end so you get all the information you need. So is that something that you would be able to help us out with, in terms of creating the back end processing of the form?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

This is Heidi. I believe so. I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Again, that form is something that ALAC needs to revise if they wish to revise it. Are you planning on changing the actual ALS application document?

GARTH BRUEN: This is Garth. Absolutely not. What I'm talking about is just putting it in a simplified electronic format asking all the same questions, collecting all the same information, just streamlining it.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Do you mean one of those forms that you actually can fill out online?

GARTH BRUEN: Yeah. Actually if you look at the agenda for today's meeting, underneath the Thursday for the Capacity Building Sessions, I have a link to... it's called North American Regional At-Large Organization (test). And this will go to a dummied-up home page for NARALO.org and it has this Interest Form in it.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi. It looks good to me.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay, so I mean just in terms of actual process, what I'm thinking about is that this form collects the very basic contact information. Staff would get it just as if they would get the actual Word document from an applicant. Hopefully the officers within NARALO would get a copy of that information, we would schedule a phone follow-up with the applicant, get the rest of their information, walk them through the process, finalize the application, have staff put it through whatever process is already in place on that end.

What I'm just looking to do here is to simplify the experience of the applicant and take away as many barriers as possible in terms of just simply applying. Not changing the vetting process or anything else at this point. Okay, so I don't know who my point of contact will be in terms of that, but that's fine. We can work on that, Heidi.

And then of course web and media, we're also talking about getting Twitter accounts, Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn and Gordon had pointed out to me that Dev was running this group that had the At-Large Social Media Strategy Work Space and there's actually a link to it in the agenda.

I'm trying to get Dev to possibly come to one of our sessions, either this session or the Secretariat session to discuss this some more and figure out ways we can work together on this. I know he's very busy with some other things, but I'm just waiting to hear back from him.

And then moving on to the Newcomer session – very important. I'm going to be at the Newcomer breakfast or Fellows meeting or whatever it is the first thing on Sunday morning to meet as many potential new members as possible. I know we're handing out invitations to the showcase to new members there so I want to help out with that if I can.

Then of course we've got the Anniversary Outreach event and Heidi wanted to insert another brief speaker into this agenda who was Steve Crocker and Heidi, did you have a specific comment on that?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes. This is Heidi. I just thought that in the past Steve Crocker, the Chairman of the Board, has been speaking at a few of the outreach

events of At-Large and I know that he's quite a proponent of At-Large and I thought that it might be good if you wanted to invite him, just for a few minutes talk, perhaps directly after Fadi?

I know that's one of the organizational changes that Fadi has brought out are closer or open relations between the Board and staff. So Fadi is going to be speaking about the role of At-Large within ICANN. It might be a good segue to have Steve talk a little bit about how that kind of openness between At-Large and ICANN can also be mirrored within staff and the Board relationship.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay, this is Garth again. I put my check box in cause I think this is a good idea and we'll figure out a way to add him to the list of speakers during Wednesday's planning call. So if you need to get back to him, go ahead and we'll just figure out a way to...

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay, thanks so much. I'll do that today.

GARTH BRUEN:

Okay. We've got some wonderful things going on at the showcase. I wish that Glenn was on the call so we could maybe get into some more detail. But the link is there for anybody who wants to read more about it and of course, there's always opportunities for folks to help out with the specifics and we can figure that out. You can talk to me or Glenn or Eduardo or Alan or Gordon about some of the specifics.

Beyond that we also have the General Assembly which we haven't really set the agenda for yet and the Secretariat's Meeting which I'm still building the agenda for. I'm going to mirror a lot of the topics that we're talking about in our Capacity Building sessions within the Secretariat's Meeting and certainly suggestions are welcome in that area. Heidi, you have your hand up, please.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes, this is Heidi. Just to comment, Garth, you mentioned that the group has not developed the General Assembly topics? My understanding is that that was one of the first things they did and I'm just seeing if I can find the agenda.

I'll go ahead and put that into the chat but it has been there for some time.

GARTH BRUEN:

Alright, I personally... I guess I hadn't looked at it recently so I was assuming that it wasn't complete. Okay, alright, there is a list of topics there within that link. Okay, alright so I've answered my own question. Fantastic.

Now heading towards the end of the hour, I want to give any ALAC members an opportunity to discuss any issues that are coming up. Evan is the first name on the list so we'll go to Evan first.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Sorry, I didn't have anything I needed to talk about beyond that. I don't recall.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Nothing else to add.

GARTH BRUEN: Eduardo?

EDUARDO DIAZ: (Inaudible), nothing to add.

GARTH BRUEN: Okay. So I just want to make sure that within the agenda of these calls we give ALAC an opportunity to discuss anything that they feel the need to. Fantastic. Heidi, you still have your hand up. Do you have something else?

HEIDI ULLRICH: No. Sorry.

GARTH BRUEN: Alright. Item 5 – Any Other Business. Does anybody have anything that they want to add to the agenda or something they're concerned about? No? Olivier, you have your hand up, please.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes thank you very much, Garth. It's Olivier for the transcript. Just to let you know that both Heidi and I have actually had a chat with Sally Costerton and I am really looking forward for our community to meet with her. I think it's really going to be quite exciting.

The whole team who seems to have now arrived with Fadi appears to have a lot of great ideas in mind and I think that we will... well, we have to seize the opportunity to work with it. Of course, these are all ideas and plans but I guess we're part of them, so I'm really looking forward to this meeting.

I also wanted to thank you, Garth, for all the great work you've done so far since you've taken over this chairmanship in NARALO and I look forward to working with you and working with NARALO in what sounds like it's going to be a really interesting and very packed week for all of us and especially for the NARALO ALSes who are going to have to wake up pretty early every day. But hey, join the clan cause we're all going to have to wake up pretty early. It'll be great. That's all. Thanks.

GARTH BRUEN: Thank you, Olivier. I appreciate your endorsement of me. Don't ever say, "Join the clan" again on one of these phone calls though. That doesn't go over very well.

So if nobody else has any other business, we will go on to the next Toronto Planning Committee call which will be on Wednesday and I will see everybody at this call and then I will see everybody at the meeting.

And please, if you're not connected to me on LinkedIn or Skype, please reach out to me and please look for me at the meeting and I'm going to

sit down with everybody individually and personally. I appreciate your time and I'll talk to you later. Thank you very much.

[End of Transcript]