

Gisella Gruber:

Good morning/good afternoon/good evening to everyone on today's APRALO call. Sorry, we're going to have to mute Yashar's line. Yashar is having a parallel conversation and he is unfortunately not on the Adobe Connect Room. So the line will be muted, especially during the roll call. Thank you.

Welcome again to the APRALO call on Tuesday the 25th of September at 5:00 UTC. On today's call we have Holly Raiche who will be Chairing the meeting; Cheryl Langdon-Orr; Pavan Budhrani; Olivier Crépin-Leblond; Maureen Hilyard; Nirmol Agarwal; Karaitiana Taiuru; Hong Xue; Yashar Hajiyeve; Fouad Bajwa. Apologies today noted from Julie Hammer; Charles Mok; Rinalia Abdul Rahim and Edmon Chung.

From staff we have Silvia Vivanco and myself, Gisella Gruber. If I could also please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes. And also the mute is *6 and unmute is *7. I'm aware that we have people who are on the audio bridge who are not able to join us on the Adobe Connect. If you'd be so kind as to mute your lines when others are speaking in order to allow for a clearer audio. Thank you. Over to you, Holly.

Holly Raiche:

Thank you and welcome everyone. I trust that those in the Adobe Connect have read the minutes and the action items. There is a link in the previous email for those who haven't. We're going to start with first of all a review of the action items and minutes.

There were two particular action items that I would suggest we spend a bit of time on. One was from Edmon Chung and it was in regard to the IDN issue. Now he sent an email today saying that he may not make it but let me at least read out his report and then if there are any questions we can note them and ask Edmon to reply on the list.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

The IDN update on the Variant Issues Project – its Phase II – is continuing and underneath that there's a face-to-face meeting was held at ICANN offices. There is another set of face-to-face meetings that have been scheduled for Toronto. They are expecting a draft document laying out a two-step process for the adoption of IDN Language Tables for the root and actual IDN variant top-level domain implementation process will only be discussed after completion of that process that's just outlined.

For IDN Country Code PDP – and if people... I realize I'm already in ICANN speak – have I used too many initials? And for those not familiar, do you want me to go into English language so it can be translated? I will anyway.

IDN Country Code is the policy development process. Where that's up to there is the address process posted for comments and Edmon will probably be leading that. It's largely similar to the IDN Country Code's TLD Fast Track Process for IDN new generic top-level domains. His comment is, "There seems to be good support from the community for prioritizing IDN generic top-level domain applications but ICANN has not responded to the suggestions yet."

Now Hong, do you have any information to add to that or is that a pretty good summary of where we're up to with IDNs?

Hong Xue:

Oh IDN, yes. Rinalia is not here; this is really unfortunate. And she is actually IDN Variant Working Group. The Variant Project is going on but I don't believe they will produce the outcome very soon. So now this issue here. There's an IDN ccTLD Project that's going on and the New ccTLD – hopefully will be delegated later this year. So the timing is a big problem. I guess the Variant Working Group will need to speed up their work schedule.

Holly Raiche:

Is there something, a message, we can take back to Edmon and ask for further information or indeed something that APRALO should be doing or indeed ALAC should be doing?

Hong Xue: I think we can ask them to give us a briefing on their work status. That way they will be able to consistent with the timetable of the implementation of both the ccTLD and the TTLDs in IDN's groups.

Holly Raiche: Okay, can this wait for Toronto or is this something we need to do fairly soon?

Hong Xue: Oh that's a good question. I know they are both very busy. If it's not so urgent probably we can ask them at Toronto meeting.

Holly Raiche: You said if it's not so urgent, but is it urgent?

Hong Xue: Cheryl can give us briefing on IDN ccTLDs whether it is urgent or not.

Holly Raiche: Cheryl, would you like to...?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Yeah, that would be why my hand's up. Thank you. Cheryl for the transcript record. I certainly can speak to at least the IDN ccTLD CCT process. Yes, the timing issue that's been outlined both in Edmon's report and by Hong on the Variant Project both for the ccTLD, CCTs and of course the New gTLD is a recognized one that unless variance is dealt with it in an appropriate and an effective way, then we wouldn't be doing service to that project either.

So it's a little bit putting the horse before the cart versus the cart before the horse. I don't believe it will hold up... I don't think that they will stop the New

gTLDs in their project training and I also don't think that it will slow down the ccTLD IDN PDP process. But it would be highly desirable if the variance work would eventually come into sync.

What we could do in Toronto is ask if we could get an update on what possibilities there might be for time-matching and synchronicity, but it is very early days in that work and it is extremely – as we all appreciate – complex and important work.

Do I think it's time critical to do before Toronto? No, I don't think it's possible to do before Toronto. But I also know that with the ccTLD IDN PDP draft out now, there is of course the appropriate reply comments and then deliberation work that will be done.

So we've got a clear pathway and other opportunities for influence. We of course have influence that Hong will bring directly to the ccNSO Council because it will ultimately be a ccNSO Council set of decisions to adopt the policy that would be developed by the Policy Development work that's going on now. But we're nowhere near even a penultimate in that drafting. So I'm hopeful that some of the variance work will come into sync. Thank you.

Holly Raiche: Thank you, Cheryl. I think we can leave that action item. There are a couple more. Pavan?

Pavan Budhrani: Yes, Holly.

Holly Raiche: There are a couple. One is the preparation for the Toronto APRALO meeting agenda. That's been done.

Pavan Budhrani: That's been done, yes. I've been working with Silvia with that, but the thing is I want to leave some time open for flexibility because during the meeting – or maybe the weeks ahead of the meeting – there'll be a lot of things we might want to bring up. So I guess we should leave that pretty open and confirm it probably a week before or actually during the meeting itself.

Holly Raiche: Well, we'll do it during the meeting. I think the first thing we do is confirm the agenda and we either confirm the agenda or we add items.

Pavan Budhrani: True, okay.

Holly Raiche: There is an agenda there. I think the next one was about the ALS in Baku. Now Rinalia basically said that there are three people there and I think that discussion is ended frankly at this stage.

Pavan Budhrani: I think he's available on the call. Yashar, are you on the call?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: We might have to un-mute him. It's *7 if you're doing it yourself.

Pavan Budhrani: So I did reach out and he's happy to help in whatever way. So I connected him with Edmon and Rinalia.

Holly Raiche: I'd say Rinalia would be the contact.

Pavan Budhrani: Yeah, contact and see if there's anything. So I'm not sure if there's any communication but I can follow up with Edmon and Rinalia to see.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Pavan, it's Cheryl here. Can I also make sure that you copy staff and Olivier in on this as well?

Pavan Budhrani: Sure, sure, okay.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: There are often things ALAC-wide or At-Large-wide or even ICANN-wide that the At-Large structure representatives from these local communities might be appropriate for them to be involved in.

Pavan Budhrani: Okay, no problem. So while I'm following up I'll cc them and make sure they get it.

Holly Raiche: Thank you, Pavan. The third action item has to do with budget matters. Now I think both Cheryl and Olivier have been involved in that and if Cheryl and/or Olivier want to talk – as well as staff – then could we be updated where we're up to at this stage?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: I can have a go at part of it, Holly, and then I'll pass over to Olivier. Cheryl for the transcript record. Not a great deal has happened in the wonderful world of the Budget and Finance Committee or indeed through APRALO's deliberations on what we might want in the next budget allocation to be put forward for consideration.

That is something, however, that will be discussed at Toronto at the public forum... with public fora happening, looking at strategic planning not just during the meeting but also one of the things I was suggesting is that we do identify things like the Asia/Pacific Regional IGS which also includes the Asia/Pacific APStar meeting with alternates or possibilities of something in the Regional Internet Registry, the APNIC meeting which could be apricot or something similar and see if we can put that forward as an opportunity for outreach and to see if we can extend our numbers of At-Large structures into countries that currently don't have them.

We still do have that very key opportunity to hit our mark at one per country but we may as well try yet again, even if it is doomed to failure to see if we can get some form of support for outreach activities in makings that are going on in the next financial year.

The other thing I would suggest is that with the inevitability once we get to Toronto with all we've had to look at the time for the process that gives the strategic end budget planning from within ICANN and I think that they're trying very hard to be more and more inclusive, but APRALO does need to be ready for that.

So I was hoping that it might be appropriate for us to set up a Wiki page and call for input from At-Large structures on ideas for possible – and it should be underlined – possible project or activity funding that comes to mind throughout the region. It would need to be clear on that page that this would be a competitive space; in other words, there would be a small, if any, firm allocation and all we can do is put forward those which have come out of our region to the ALAC Budget and Finance Committee to look at where they might be blendable with other regions and where they might be prioritized if any of those are indeed prioritized.

So that would be a request. I guess then you and the staff could micromanage that to get a Wiki page up and ask the people to pop in ideas and if that can start before Toronto, that would be great but it certainly would need to be starting

around Toronto. The other issue for written allocation from our current budget I'll leave Olivier to speak to.

Holly Raiche: And Olivier had his hand up; he's taken it down. Olivier.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Thank you, Holly. I was going to say more but Cheryl has been so eloquent and pretty much covered everything about the budget allocations. In regard to Baku...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: I didn't mention Baku; I was going to leave that to you. [laugh]

Holly Raiche: And, Olivier, your voice is almost as soft as mine.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: This is because I am using Adobe Connect and it doesn't help when I use Adobe Connect and it is 7:30 in the morning and I can't wait til the whole block's up and I sharpen my lungs out. So you all have to bear with me if you really can't hear me.

Holly Raiche: No, no, no, it's fine. We can hear you.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Okay thank you, Holly. So this is Olivier for the transcript in case you missed it the first time around. With regards to Baku, we've had follow-up now from the staff member in charge of this and I understand that there will be three people

that will be funded from APRALO for the workshop that will take place in Baku.

The workshop was afforded up to five people to travel over to Baku but only on the premise that they were panelists or directly involved with the workshop so Rinalia has brought forward the three people that needed to be funded, the rest apparently being self-funding into going to Baku or who are being funded by other means.

And that's at the moment the only thing we have. We are supposed to receive pretty soon the travel details as to when everyone will be able to go there and leave Baku but so far there has been no more detail than that. So that's all I can provide you with for the time being.

With regards to the wider budgetary process, there have been several meetings between the ICANN Chief Financial Officer and the next members of the Finance & Budget Subcommittee, namely Tijani Ben Jemaa and myself. And this small group has worked on the harmonization improvement of the budget process of the actual financial planning process altogether and the strategic planning process – how to get those to work better with the community and there will be a session in Toronto that will be going through all of that.

It's not an ALAC session; it's an actual budget session and I also believe that we will be sending a handful of people from the Finance & Budget Subcommittee over to that meeting, apart from the fact that that meeting is actually on Sunday afternoon which clashes totally with our own meetings as well. But that's another thing. So that's the only update for the time being. Back to you, Holly. Thank you.

Holly Raiche:

Thank you, Olivier. Just a question though – at some point I imagine the five RALOs will have their own ideas for outreach and perhaps an understanding of what might be available. I know on our agenda today we have a discussion and

it's certainly on the agenda for the APRALO call in Toronto about outreach which will be discussed at the Beijing meeting.

So it will be nice to have some idea of, if there's any money, if so, what it would be for and how much it is. So maybe we can sneak off during Sunday at some point or how should we as APRALO start to formulate some ideas about what budget items we'd like...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:

Cheryl here. I think that's where my call for a Wiki page works best because it's inclusive of those who are at Toronto as well as those who are not able to attend. And we should be collecting all ideas that may or may not be able to be funded, including outreach. So we might just put a couple of categories on the page as well to have outreach versus in-reach versus other activities.

Holly Raiche:

Okay, I think we may actually set a bit of this aside if we get 10 minutes over breakfast or something to have a bit of a brainstorm. Anyway, moving right along on the agenda, we haven't made it very far actually. We've got roll call and the action items. We've got the policy issues.

I can go through briefly what the policy issues are. Olivier, if you want to jump in on things that we haven't highlighted. The policy page right now includes IDNs and we've already talked about all of the issues involved in IDNs.

There is another policy issue that is occupying the list and Cheryl has had some fairly rude words to say about the Red Cross International Olympic Committee.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:

No, what I said was that it had no place at the IGS as something APRALO needed to bring forward.

Holly Raiche:

At this stage I'm not sure if we're going to have a PDP on the issue or not, but there are some consensus views and some disparate views on the list. I think the general agreement on the list for a policy development process as to the status of Red Cross and whether the International Olympic Committee (IOC) should have the same protection as Red Cross. Hong has written very well on that issue. I suggest everybody should read that.

There's been a great deal of discussion about whether the two should be separate in the protections offered and I think there's pretty general consensus that they really aren't the same based although International Law says they are. I probably don't want to spend a lot of time on this at this stage except to say that it is an issue.

I think the one issue I might bring up is one that Dev has just pointed out that's pretty new and that's an issue – I don't know what's going to happen to it – but allowing generic words as private top-level domains. And it's something that he's just identified as an issue. Now on the policy issue...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:

Holly, if I may, just to note for the record – it's Cheryl for the transcript record – of course one of the first moves is to raise that issue and do so through the ALAC process on New gTLD objections. Even though it did not fit the criteria, it did I think become one of the now several parts of conversation that were going on that did actually come from one of our At-Large structures.

So internet NZ was a very early group showing concern on that topic. We might also note that there is as of I think yesterday's date Michele Neylon who is a registrar in Ireland and who I would consider a friend to At-Large, he is on the other side of the fence if one has to draw a fence line – has also published a letter to the new CEO and Board of ICANN raising again – and I think if it is possible, more articulately – some of the concerns on this topic.

That is available on the Black Knights website. I'm sure staff could find access to it if anyone wanted to have a look at it on the list. And it's going to be one of

those “we the undersigned” type petitions. I think we need to more than recognize that it is an issue but I do think we should note that it’s an issue that has gotten a good deal of traction in our region.

Holly Raiche:

Okay now, before I recognize Olivier, given that it is 7:30 in the morning, just to point out to people – please check out the website. There are approved ALAC statements and we’ve got plenty of them out. There’s been IDN; there’s been the Security, Stability & Resiliency of the DNS; we’ve sent correspondence to the Board particularly pointing out that there are about 12 recommendations from the WHOIS final report they can act on without public policy process.

We’ve had statements about the thick WHOIS and so forth. I don’t think I’m going to go through all the policies but read some of the statements and now, Olivier, since it’s now 7:35, you can speak more loudly.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:

Thank you very much, Holly. It’s Olivier for the transcript. Can you hear me? Just to build up on what seems to be an uproar against generic names used in new top-level domains, new top-level domain applications, there is a strange thing to this in that when policy development was taking place in ICANN in previous years, no one had to really... well, no one apart from the ALAC had really put much weight behind the fact that there was a problem about generic names being used as new top-level domains and effectively privatizing that name or giving the company or organization the exclusive ability to make use of a word.

And now that large big players such as Google and Amazon have come into play, suddenly people start opening their eyes and thinking, “Oo, this shouldn’t be allowed,” because effectively you are giving them a trademark or exclusive ability to use a word to a big organization that will make use of that, whether they will sort of market it to people or whether they will actually keep it for their own private use.

This is something which the ALAC and At-Large community has already said in the past that we were ignored. And I just wanted to note that because now that we have received several comments from several organizations and individuals – some of which have actually made it in national newspapers – one for example making it over into the Hindu newspaper in India – the Review Group has looked at this and said, “Well the problem that we are faced with now is this is not a comment about a single application; this is a comment about many different applications that are being made, some of which are being made by more than one organization.”

It’s a comment about the fact that generic words could be applied for as New gTLDs. And this unfortunately does not fall within the remit of the type of objection that the ALAC would be able to make because the ALAC has a very narrow set of conditions that it can make these comments or these objections in.

So this is something where really the action will have to be taken by the Board if the Board decides to take action. And we’ll see because it looks as though more and more pressure is being exerted from outside. But I just wanted to go through this to make sure we are all aware that this is not a failure of the ALAC to have brought this issue forward.

We did bring it forward and unfortunately such was the political way things were run in the past – the other point of view that this was all okay or that putting it under the carpet was the point of view that was followed a few years ago. That’s all. Thank you.

Holly Raiche:

Thank you, Olivier. Isn’t it wonderful to be absolutely correct in hindsight?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:

I think we’re always correct, it’s just the hindsight caught up with the actuality.
[laughs]

Holly Raiche:

A bit of a problem. I suppose the other statement that is still relevant is what's called a Uniform Rapid Suspension which is a process in respect of some of the trademark protection issues. We've basically said so when is this going to be implemented and I think we're still waiting. I think those are the main policy issues. Are there other policy issues that we should be looking at and getting our heads around?

I suppose the one thing that I would say is ongoing. There's a general working group on Registrants' Rights and Responsibilities but within that there are a couple of issues that have become obvious.

One is the issue about the thin and thick WHOIS and where that's going – that was the subject of a report by the WHOIS Review Team and that is something where Alan identified the 12 things that coming out of that report the Board could do without any further process.

Another was identified by I think it's NARALO – Garth – essentially looking that the Registrant Accreditation Agreement and noting that in fact there is the wording of a particular clause that means it is difficult for ICANN compliance area to actually take action to insure compliance. It's a separate issue, although it comes under the RAA.

Now there is an RAA meeting in Toronto scheduled and I think it's going to be one of the first tasks for us to say, "Well what do we want to focus on," because there are a whole set of issues arising out of the RAA. But for anybody who's going to Toronto probably the first item is going to be, "Well let's identify the issues." Now Olivier, you've still got your hand up. Do you still want to talk? No, he's gone back to bed.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:

If I can find the mute button. Yes, it's Olivier for the transcript. I just wanted to add just a couple of words on what you said. With regards to the ALAC statement on the URS status, there was a discussion that took place on our list. Since we started the discussion, things have changed and now there is

movement that's going on and some of what we wanted to say has actually been either implemented by the Board or there is movement on that. So we're risking that our statement would be out of date, the statement is currently on hold.

With regards to the At-Large Registrant Rights Working Group - the RA §3.7.8 – well a major piece of news that took place in the past week was the fact that when the ICANN Board met in a meeting in Los Angeles, the new CEO actually took position 15 days ahead of schedule. He was supposed to start on the first of October and he already started then and announced that the Compliance Department was going to report directly to him rather than reporting to Legal.

Now this, of course, doesn't change §3.7.8 but certainly changes the overall framing of the way Compliance operates. And therefore, the question on 3.7.8 is one where there might already be some movement to change the way this is implemented and to get Compliance to actually enforce things.

Because things are changing and because I guess it's all very new for Maggie Surat and her team. Maggie has now become VP – Vice President – for Compliance. As a result we decided for the time being to put this on hold and see as well what is going to happen; how are things going to progress in this respect and in this subject. There's nothing worse than having statements sent over to the Board that are obsolete or out of date. That's all. Thank you.

Holly Raiche:

Olivier, a question. Is Compliance going to brief us on the Sunday?

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:

It's Olivier for the transcript. Yes, we have a meeting with Compliance and I think that Compliance will be able to provide us with a lot more information about how they operate now, much to the happiness of some in our community who were increasingly unhappy with Compliance enforcing contracts, or rather not enforcing contracts. The industry still needs much enforcement.

And the very fact that we were then told by someone from Legal who came to the meeting and said, “Well, ICANN is not a regulator.” There’s a difference between being a regulator as such – mandated by governments – or being an organization that regulates its own contracts because at the end of the day ICANN has contracts with each one of its registries and registrars so it needs to regulate those contracts. But that’s where the semantics made the whole discussion more complicated because one understood regulator; the other one regulating.

Anyway, we’ll see how it goes in Toronto and I really hope that we have some good positive news on this.

Holly Raiche:

I’m sure we do. Sala, you had your hand up and then it’s down. Did you want to say something?

Salanieta Tamanikawaiwaimaro:

Okay. Hi everyone. Sala here. Can you hear me? Okay excellent. I just wanted to say something quickly. I think it’s been said already by Olivier so I won’t bother repeating any of it except to say that the recent analysis on the WHOIS Review Recommendation by the SSAC I think is particularly relevant prior to Toronto because they highlight and prioritize the different recommendations and giving utmost priority to the single WHOIS.

And as Holly had mentioned, Alan had sort of analyzed what he thought which recommendations from the WHOIS Review deserved or merited the PDPs and that sort of thing and there is some discussion within the ALAC.

But I think one of the things that could be worthwhile doing that I think may have been done already or may have not been done is in relation to some of the work that can be done – I’m not sure – prior to Toronto or prior to the drafting of the actual charter.

I know that we have a few members of the ALAC that are drafting the charter for the thick WHOIS. But I think one of the things that SSAC picked up which is of relevance to APRALO that we may want to consider is in terms of prioritization of the single WHOIS. I think they made an analogy to the blind man and the elephant.

Simply put in a nutshell, to summarize one of the things that was being sort of pointed out was the different competing interests. And yet while the ALAC or the majority of the ALAC may have already formed a view in terms of a thick WHOIS or a thin WHOIS and that sort of thing, the realities in the global community are still diversified views on that point.

And so we had sort of suggested for the community to sort of address the various views or the legitimate uses of that particular data. So having said that, that's something that we can sort of think about – those who have an interest.

And I'd just like to point back to the Wiki – if possible if we could upgrade or sort of fix our Wiki so that we can put clear policies, you know, like policy discussions that the ALAC is currently having and that sort of thing and just to have it updated a little bit. And I'm happy to discuss that offline with...

Holly Raiche:

Okay thank you, Sala. Moving right along, Sala, also on the agenda is the survey. How is that going and have you got any results from that yet and if not, when would you expect to have that? It was basically, for those who didn't see it, a survey that was trying to understand ways in which people may or may not communicate well and how we can provide more outreach for our regions. So, Sala, over to you. Sala's dropped out.

Male:

I can provide an update. I'm working with Sala on that.

Holly Raiche:

Thank you.

Male:

Yeah, so basically Sala sent me the link and I worked with staff to get a dedicated email address for all the contacts of the ALSs. And I sent out the survey to them and the response, Sala mentioned yesterday has not been great, so what I suggested was that I would reach out to each ALS individually, either by email, Skype or G Chat – whichever we have them on and try to get them to do the survey and sort of reminding them at the same time, if they finish the survey it benefits them as much as it benefits us. That's all. So we will be continuing to reach out to them to make sure they have that sorted.

Holly Raiche:

And just a thought. Are people aware that first of all there is a lot of information about ICANN... sorry, about ALAC on the website and that APRALO has its own brochure that has a bit of information. Can you use that?

Male:

We could. We could be able to send them the... I actually have the brochure in PDF; we could use that. But I'm guessing instead of sending them PDFs which they might not find useful, right, it just summarizes and some bullet points and you hand it over to them. That would probably make it better.

Holly Raiche:

I would see that as something you would have a conversation first, "How can we help? How can we communicate? And by the way..."

Male:

Okay yeah and then if they have any questions, then we could send them that one.

Holly Raiche: And then use that as if you want to go back to your members or other organizations, this is some information that you can provide. I would see that as something that you distribute at the end of a conversation, not the beginning.

Male: Okay, I can... once the conversation has begun and they want more further information, then I could of course send them that to communicate with their members. So yeah, I'll remember that.

Holly Raiche: Do we want to actually look at that? I don't think it needs updating. I think it's okay.

Male: Um-hm. I think... Are you talking about the brochure?

Holly Raiche: Yes.

Male: Yeah, I can take a look at it and see if there's any minor points which we want to update. Like for example, RIGF and IGF – maybe we want to include some of the latest events over there. Then I could make those minor adjustments and work with staff to have it reprinted. Probably the best would be before the Beijing meeting.

Holly Raiche: Okay.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Yeah, I think for Beijing.

Male: Yeah so I guess for Beijing we need to have something like a newer version of the brochure.

Holly Raiche: From the chat box, Sala's contribution saying the brochure's okay but the APRALO Wiki may need updating. And I think maybe we can have a look at the Wiki as well to see if it's useable. Well, it is useable but what or how all of us find using it and whether that... if it's sitting down with Matt and seeing if we can do something. Maybe that's also something that I thought might have come out of the survey as to the usefulness and the ease of use of the APRALO site and the Wiki.

Male: Yes and Sala actually contacted me by email about that as well because she was concerned about the Wiki. I could probably start an email thread with Sala and everyone basically and Charles as well and try to see how we can work with redesigning it, probably make it more resource-friendly – something like that maybe?

Holly Raiche: I'm just thinking at the last meeting at Prague they did a... everybody... well I got interviewed about what I wanted out of the website and it has been redesigned. I don't think they're going to spend a lot more money redesigning it, but it may be that there are individual things that could be done easily that might make it more user-friendly and it would be really interesting to hear what those suggestions are.

And really, it may be that everybody on this call should have a look at the website; have a look at how user-friendly it is and maybe how we might of ourselves just make it user-friendly. I know Alan goes [spare] when we talk about it.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Holly, Cheryl here. Of course you're talking about the website update and Sala's referring specifically to the Wiki.

Holly Raiche: I know; I know. But sometimes it's difficult finding the Wiki from the website and I would hope that our website would point to places where people can comment on different issues. It's a matter of making it easy for people to find stuff is what I think I'm saying. Okay where are we up to on the agenda? Do we want to have a quick word about the APRALO elections?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: There doesn't need to be any.

Male: Yes.

Holly Raiche: Somebody said yes. [laughs] Basically there may need to be elections because I'm right now Vice Chair; I'm very happy to vacate that spot because I will be the APRALO member on the ALAC. Now Heidi has told me by email I do not have to resign but it think it will be a marvelous opportunity for somebody else to be Vice Chair. So please keep that in mind.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Do you really think that for less than three months all that palaver is worthwhile? Other RALOs have serving Vice Chairs and Chairs who are ALAC members and it does nothing but complement the interaction between the layers of the organization. I'm certainly in the "do we need to really do this," but that's my totally biased opinion. It's certainly not required by the rules.

Holly Raiche:

No, the only reason I'd do that is to bring people into the team and start people contributing. But we can talk about that in Toronto. Now we are five minutes off of the final call. I don't think there is a Chair's update; certainly I don't have one. We have discussed briefly the workshop and we have discussed the Toronto agenda and we've got the survey. Is there anything else that people would like to discuss?

Just to mention one of the main items – the first item on the agenda – in Toronto is going to be talking about a General Assembly for the Asia/Pacific Region at the Beijing meeting. So if people have thoughts on what we might do, it will be discussed in Toronto, but clearly any and all thoughts will be welcome. I hate to say we're going to set up a Wiki page, but if you want to just go onto the list and say, "These are the sorts of things that might be done in Beijing," through Highlight APRALO, that would be a very useful thing.

We've got exactly three minutes for any other business. Fouad wants me to stay in my position. Thank you, Fouad. Any other business? Okay, people should know because not everybody has the Adobe Connect, reading from Fouad just in case if he loses electricity which sometimes happens, I want to share the new Generic Top Level Name RG Activity update which is actually toward the end of this discussion. We have the following process on how the ALAC files an objection to a new TLD.

Gisella, can you take the link that he has put and put that into an email for everybody because there are probably about three or four people on this call who are not on the Adobe Connect and will not have an opportunity of seeing this link.

Gisella Gruber:

Gisella here. Sure I will do that, Holly.

Holly Raiche:

Thank you. Any other business for anybody else?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Cheryl here. Just as foreshadowing, at Toronto I know we have on the provisional agenda for our APRALO meeting a discussion about the Beijing meeting which is going to be a very important one for us with our General Assembly. I would like to think that in advance of our Toronto gathering, however, we could put a call out on the list for having people put their hands up to start a small organizing committee and obviously we can tighten the membership up on that as we get into Toronto and beyond.

But I think if we had a call for volunteers and a Wiki page set up for the Beijing meeting planning space that would be very good. So that would be a Wiki page, a call for people to show that they're interested in being a worker – underline and capitalize the word “worker” – there will be no free rides; and perhaps an email list – that's sort of something that staff may be able to assist Pavan with between now and then at our Toronto meeting and then we could hit the ground running while we're there.

Holly Raiche: Excellent. Do you have any idea who you'd like to volunteer?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Well I'm intending to be part of it so I'll be volunteering me and I would suggest that we certainly would want one or two, if not more people who are local to Beijing so I would want people from the China ALSs involved, so Hong, don't duck and cover. [laughs]

Holly Raiche: I was thinking of Hong. I'm glad you said it. [laughs]

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: And I think her hand is up to say yes. [laughs]

