

---

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: So good morning, good afternoon and good evening, everybody. This is the ALAC Monthly Conference Call on Tuesday, the 28<sup>th</sup> of August, 2012. The time is 14:04 UTC and we have a very full agenda today.

Welcome, everyone. The agenda goes up to 130 minutes or more than that so I'll have to ask everyone to be very brief in their interventions so that we can actually get through our agenda without too much stress and hassle. So the first thing is to adopt the agenda and I would like to ask everyone if they have any questions, comments or amendments? Unfortunately I'm using my hands-free [gig] on my mobile phone and my mouth is about 4cm away from my microphone. Alan?

Alan Greenberg: Hands from Alan and Cheryl.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Yes, I said "Alan?"

Alan Greenberg: Oh, sorry. I sent around rather late I'm afraid a draft statement of advice to the Board regarding the WHOIS AOC Review. If we want to act on it the deadline is the 31<sup>st</sup> of August so we may want to at least discuss it and perhaps vote on it at this meeting.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Okay, shall we add this to just after the policy advice development workspace?

Alan Greenberg: I would think so. It wasn't a public comment but effectively the Board asked for input from ACs, SOs, and the public so [it works with] this area.

---

**Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.**

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Okay, so let's add it there and if you can flag it up for me-

Alan Greenberg: I'll do that.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Thank you, Alan. And next, Cheryl?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Thank you, Cheryl Langdon-Orr for the transcript record. I do have a very quick point that I'd like to raise – it can be either, as Alan's is associated with and just after the ALAC discussion on general policy input. It's not actually a public comment but it's in that space, or it can be in 'any other business' – it has to do with IDNs.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: With IDNs did you say?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: That's correct.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Okay. Is it related to making a statement as well?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Not quite.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Not quite...

---

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: I'll run through it when we get to it.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Yes, we'll put it in 'any other business' and if you can also flag it out please that'll be great.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: It is policy related and comment related, yeah.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Okay, thank you. So then we can proceed with the roll call and apologies. Gisella, you have the floor.

Gisella Gruber: Thank you, Olivier – Gisella for the transcript. Welcome to this ALAC call on Tuesday, the 28<sup>th</sup> of August. On today's call we have Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Ron Sherwood, Oksana Prykhodko, Rinalia Abdul Rahim, Sivasubramanian Muthusamy, Jean-Jacques Subrenat, Yaovi Atohou, Yrjö Länišpuro, Sala Tamanikaiwaimaro, Rudi Vansnick, Sandra Hoferichter, Wolf Ludwig, Alan Greenberg, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Carlton Samuels, Evan Leibovitch, Garth Bruen. On the Spanish channel we have Sergio Salinas Porto and Natalia Enciso. We do not have any participants on the French channel.

Apologies today noted from Eduardo Diaz, Cintra Sooknanan and Tijani Ben Jema. From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Matt Ashtiani, Silvia Vivanco and myself, Gisella Gruber. Our interpreters today on the Spanish channel are David and Veronica, and on the French channel we have Camilla. If I can also please remind you all to state your names when speaking, not only for the transcript purposes but also for our interpreters; and we will let you know in the Adobe Connect chat if anyone is speaking too fast or if you do forget to state your names when speaking. Thank you, over to you, Olivier.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:

Thank you very much, Gisella – it's Olivier. Have we missed anyone from the roll call? No? So thank you, and welcome everybody, and we are immediately going to move over to the review of the action items from our last conference call on the 24<sup>th</sup> of July. I invite you to open that page and for the sake of time we will just look at the current open action items and the newly assigned action items.

So the current open action items, there's only one and it's a letter from the Chair of the ALAC to the Chair of the Board to be sent out with the Improvements Report. That has been done and the reply from the Chair of the Board was a letter of thanks for the hard work that the community has done.

Next, the newly assigned action items: Heidi is to contact Finance regarding the specific details of APRALO and AFRALO activities at the IGF meeting in Baku, Azerbaijan. And once these details have been determined how do we forward the information to the ALAC? So I would like to ask Heidi to give us an update although I don't see her on the Adobe Connect at the moment.

Heidi Ullrich:

Hi Olivier, this is Heidi. I am on the call and on the Adobe Connect. Regarding this action item, I have been in touch with Finance and with Mandy Carver who is leading these activities for the IGF Baku activities, and she assures me that there is movement forward on this. And I expect an email to be sent imminently on this issue.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:

Thank you very much, Heidi. And may I just say that I have been effecting mails for the last few weeks. I was told an email was forthcoming but there's still none. Our regions, specifically APRALO and AFRALO who are effected, are particularly concerned that nothing seems to be moving forward as the time is riding past.

Heidi Ullrich: Yes, thank you, Olivier. I did note this item was going to be discussed on today's call – I mentioned that to her yesterday so I'll follow up with her again today. She is aware of the urgency of the issue.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Thank you, Heidi. Next is Jean-Jacques Subrenat.

Jean-Jacques Subrenat: Thank you, Olivier – this is Jean-Jacques Subrenat speaking. On the same topic on the preparation of the IGF and participation by the members of the ALAC, I remember having brought this up in two previous ALAC meetings, asking for more details about who is financed to participate in the IGF. And I've not had any reply on that. Can you just quickly tell me who is going on behalf of the ALAC? Thank you.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Thank you, Jean-Jacques. I think that the response lies in the response that Heidi has just given us. We are still awaiting the response from Finance.

Jean-Jacques Subrenat: My goodness, okay.

Heidi Ullrich: This is Heidi again. Matt or Gisella, can you please put the link to the AFRALO/APRALO activities in Baku up in the chat, please? You'll see that AFRALO and APRALO have prepared great details about their workshops that they are going to be conducting in Baku, and I expect that people who will be part of that workshop are being funded. But I've also noted in the requests from both APRALO and AFRALO – I think the AFRALO one noted five people to be funded.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Thank you, Heidi. Well, I think a clear note needs to be sent that as time goes the flights are running out. Baku is not exactly a hub city and there's also an issue with hotels as far as I understand. This needs to be done ASAP. So I think we have a good idea. We'll leave it in your hands, Heidi, to put pressure because we need to move on.

Next: Matt Ashtiani is to update Aotearoa Maori Internet Organization of its recertification. Matt, do you have an update please?

Matt Ashtiani: Hi everyone, this is Matt. That's actually been completed and they've actually been recertified and (inaudible) as well.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Okay, thank you. Next: Carlton Samuels is to draft a paragraph on the request for community input on the formulation of the 2013-2016 Strategic Plan public comment, and to post that on the Wiki. I believe this has been done and it's (inaudible) the statement. Yes, go ahead Carlton.

Carlton Samuels: This is Carlton for the record. Yes sir, it was done and on the Wiki.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Okay, thank you Carlton. I will try and speak a little louder but I don't want my neighbors to complain. I am literally 2cm away from my microphone and I am sorry if it comes out a little faint. Next, Heidi Ullrich is to add the At-Large New gTLD Working Group and Review Group meetings for Toronto. Heidi?

Heidi Ullrich: Yes, completed.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Complete, thank you very much. Now we can move on directly to the review of current ALS applications and I'll let staff deal with this. [Did Matt have an update on those]?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Gee, that beeping is annoying.

Carlton Samuels: Somebody's calling in or something.

Gisella Gruber: Sorry to interrupt, it's Gisella. We are trying to locate the beeping sound, thank you.

Oksana Prykhodko: Thanks very much. I'm Oksana Prykhodko.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Right, so have you heard me? Can we move on to the next thing – the organizations currently undergoing the accreditation process? Can I ask staff please to take us through those?

Heidi Ullrich: Matt, go ahead. Matt, are you able to go through that?

Matt Ashtiani: Hello?

Heidi Ullrich: Yes, we can hear you.

---

Matt Ashtiani: Actually I couldn't hear Olivier. Can you please repeat that?

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Matt, can you take us through the review of the current ALS applications?

Matt Ashtiani: Sure, not a problem. The Association of Notary Public Officials in Uruguay – this is being voted on by LACRALO. The vote closed yesterday and we need to weight the vote. Once it's been weighted then I can actually tell you the regional advice for this. This is also true for the National Association for Digital Inclusion. For #3, the APTDIT, AFRALO has asked staff to look into additional questions, so once we are able to complete that then we'll be able to move forward with this ALS application.

For #4, Ray Services, we are awaiting the due diligence. For #5, the Computer Society of India, we're awaiting the due diligence. For #6, the Internet Society – Malaysian Chapter, we're awaiting the due diligence and I believe we actually received it last night at about 1:00 AM my time. So we should be able to move forward on this.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Okay, thank you, Matt. And finally of course we have the recently recertified At-Large Structure – the Aotearoa Maori Internet Organization. So that was of course done by acclimation during our last ALAC call. Any questions or comments? I see Sergio has put his hand up. Sergio Salinas Porto, please, you have the floor.

Sergio Salinas Porto: For the record this is Sergio Salinas Porto. Thank you, Mr. Chair. I would like to inform that after a survey within another region – the Latin American and Caribbean Region – the Asociacion de Escribanos del Uruguay and the



---

Association from Brazil were voted, and the Association de Escribanos del Uruguay are still waiting for our reasons. That is what I wanted to add to your report. Thank you very much.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:

Thank you very much, Sergio. It's Olivier for the transcript. So now we'll move on to the reports from the different RALOs and Liaison reports and ALAC monthly reports. I invite you all to have a look at those online. We have very little time today on our call. I think what I will ask is just a one-minute update from the GNSO Liaison and the ccNSO Liaison. Starting with the GNSO, Alan, would you be able to give us an update, please?

Alan Greenberg:

Yes, thank you. There has been no GNSO meeting since the last ALAC meeting. They're a big [wide] space in the summer and there is one in September. Just two things that I'll be highlighting on the email or that you should be aware of – the Red Cross/IOC Drafting Team has a new short list of possible outcomes that we're looking at and I'll be forwarding it to the ALAC and At-Large lists, and I would appreciate any input on it, excuse me. And the Drafting Team for creating the charter for the thick WHOIS PDP has its kickoff meeting on Thursday. A number of ALAC or At-Large people are participating and it looks like it's going to be an interesting group. It has more high-power and more membership than any other group I've seen in recent months so it should be interesting. That's it, thank you.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:

Thank you very much, Alan. Just in your point of view do you think there are enough ALAC people on that working group or is it a case of not really needing members but needing proper input?

---

Alan Greenberg: Well, I'm on it, Evan is on it, and I think somebody else although I can't remember at this point. One could add another person. I think there are a number of people in the group that have the same concerns, that is we want this to be a very narrow PDP. So if someone else has a particular interest and is willing to actively participate, sure, another person could be fine. The meeting is Thursday so they should join before the first meeting if they're going to be viewed as part of the group. Thank you.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Okay, thank you Alan. And Carlton, you had your hand up.

Carlton Samuels: Well, this is Carlton for the record. I am on that group as well.

Alan Greenberg: Another good voice.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Okay, thank you. Any questions to Alan on his report or can we move... We'll move on. So the next report is a quick one-minute report from our ccNSO Liaison. Cheryl, you have the floor.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Thank you; Cheryl Langdon-Orr for the transcript record. The usual update is on my ccNSO Liaison update space which is just as well... Oh heaven's sake, the beeping in my earphone means that I won't talk now until it stops, and then the time will be up and I may as well not talk at all. Right, thank you. [beeping has stopped]

Due to my incompetence of not sending a request for dial-out to the ccNSO staff I actually slept through the ccNSO call earlier today which was about an hour or two ago, which is a regret for which I've already apologized for. But they don't

---

do automatic listing as (inaudible) or anyone on dial-out lists. However, the call was not quorate and there are a number of business matters which are now being managed by list. Ron, if he has any knowledge of anything because he was competent enough to attend would perhaps put any key points into the chat for me. Those are my apologies for curing confidence and there's nothing else I can say for this month other than watch my space.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:

Okay, thank you very much, Cheryl. Next, I wanted just to ask because there's also a couple of small reports from the Finance and Budget Subcommittee. I wonder if I can put Tijani on the spot, if Tijani you're able to speak, for a quick update about what's happened recently on this front. And Tijani, you're probably on mute if you're on the call, Tijani.

Gisella Gruber:

Sorry, Gisella here, Olivier. Tijani sent his apology today. He's not able to make the call, thank you.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:

Oh that's right, I'm sorry – I just noticed that. Alright never mind, I'll move on then. The last thing was the RALO Liaison monthly reports. I thank the liaisons for their work. I have noticed that many of the RALOs have not submitted their reports for several months, some of them. I do hope that they do very soon because it's the only way for new ALSes and also existing ALSes that don't keep track of the work so closely to actually find out what's going on in their region. So all of those Chairs and Secretariats of regions please send in those reports. They're very important and they do show what is going on, and I can see that one RALO apparently has not sent a report in 2012.

So okay, let's move on then quickly to the next part – but thanking all of the reports that were filed in. We're now going to move over to the new business and items for decision, and we have the policy advice development workspace which I invite you all to consult. There's going to be several recently [updated]

---

ALAC statements and I'm not going to read through them because they're all listed here on the agenda; and I do thank all of the people that have drafted those, all of the people who have commented and who have shared these with their At-Large Structures and [with their] community and brought [in their interests].

There are currently three statements being voted on or being reviewed by the ALAC. One is the request for community input on SAC054. This one is...

Heidi Ullrich:

Have we lost Olivier? Olivier, if you're speaking we can't hear you. Okay, Olivier dropped so they're dialing him back I believe – apologies for that. Okay, Carlton, perhaps you or Evan, either one – would you like to take over? Carlton, I think you're muted so \*7 to unmute.

Carlton Samuels:

This is Carlton. The Chair will be back in ten seconds. I think by the time we get there he'll be back on, but he was just beginning the new business and he has already mentioned some statements that are up for review. The first one was the SAC054 matter that was placed in the record by Heidi on the link. The Chair is back on – I now turn it back to the Chair.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:

Thank you very much, Carlton, and apologies for that. I happen to be in a country with a bad internet and telephone (inaudible). So I believe we've gone through the SAC054. The vote is about to start and I want to thank Julie Hammer for doing all of the hard work and collecting the input from our community on this, and I'd also thank the SSAC for having provided up with a full webinar about the work.

The next statement is the ALAC reply to comments on the Draft Statement on ICANN's Role and Remit in Security, Stability, and Resiliency of the Internet's Unique Identifier System. The vote is also on at the moment. If any of you

---

have not voted can you please do so? The vote will close tomorrow, the 29<sup>th</sup> of August. Then finally the ALAC Draft Statement on the URS, and I shall let Alan... Do you wish to say a few words on this?

Alan Greenberg:

Sorry, I was away from my desk for a second. Which item are you talking about?

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:

The At-Large Statement on the URS.

Alan Greenberg:

I didn't think we had an At-Large statement at this point. The New gTLD Working Group is looking at one which it may forward to the ALAC soon. Is there one that I forgot about, sorry?

Heidi Ullrich:

Alan, this is Heidi. This is the one that you drafted yesterday during the New gTLD Working Group call.

Alan Greenberg:

Yes, okay. I'll give you the gist but I don't think it's any action on our part right now. The gist is that I have some concerns and so do a number of other people that ICANN has said the URS is currently not implementable because none of the providers can do it at the price. They had budgeted a significant amount of money in this year's annual budget to start a process to reinvent the URS and we have heard nothing since. And since the URS is billed as one of the prime protection mechanisms for trademark holders in the new gTLD space, having this void puts ICANN's credibility in question in my mind. And so the New gTLD group will be looking at a statement over the next week or so and we will pass it on to the ALAC for ALAC to submit as a statement; but it's still in the gTLD group at this point.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Okay, thank you. And of course the (inaudible) comment, an ALAC statement will have to be called ALAC statement rather than At-Large statement.

Alan Greenberg: Yes, certainly.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: So we'll resort to you or to the Chair of the New gTLD Working Group to inform us on whether it will make it as a statement. Next we'll look at the current open policy forums. Oh, first – Sergio, you had put your hand up a bit earlier. I wonder whether you have a comment on the first part of the statement or was that an hold hand?

Sergio Salinas Porto: Can you hear me?

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Yes, we can.

Sergio Salinas Porto: Thank you, Mr. Chair. This is Sergio Salinas Porto for the record. I wanted to talk about the SSAC and the issue of the domain names with no [results]. I don't know if this is the right time to discuss this. Is that okay?

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Thank you. I think we have not reached it. That's the one just after, in the open policy forums. So we'll come to it in a moment and I'll note that you wish to speak to that.

---

Sergio Salinas Porto:

Thank you very much.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:

So first, it's Olivier for the transcript. So first on the open public policy forums is the DSSA Working Group Phase I Report. The comment period closes on the 13<sup>th</sup> of September. There were a number of people from the ALAC on that Working Group and the report itself is currently collecting input from all members of the (inaudible). I'd like everyone to read through it. I'm not quite sure whether the ALAC wishes to respond to it specifically. There was a DSSA Operations call that took place yesterday where the Chairs of the Working Group, the four Chairs of the Working Group had a chance to discuss the matter with Bill Graham. Bill is the Chair of the Board Risk Committee, and also – I believe it's the Board Risk Committee, I don't have exact nomenclature – but also with Chris Disspain who was one of the (inaudible) proponents.

And so for the time being the decision is that the Working Group itself, after having provided that Phase I report, will take a step back and wait for the Board's Risk Management Committee and the concept that is being put in place by the Board Risk Management Committee to start moving forward for a consultant to be appointed; and then for the consultant to work with the community, and therefore with the working group, on any follow-ups that might be required – all this to say that for the time being I don't believe that there should be comments being made by the ALAC except one of support. I see that Cheryl says that no comment is okay for her as well – she was also one of the main people in that working group.

So we can move to the next one, which is the SSAC Report on the Dotless Domain, and the comment period closes on the 23<sup>rd</sup> of September. And so Sergio Salinas Porto, you have the floor.

Sergio Salinas Porto:

Thank you, Mr. Chair – this is Sergio Salinas Porto for the record. As you know, we have just seen the report from the SSAC on the dotless domain names.

---

These names are not used currently but we can start thinking with the new gTLDs, and especially those that will be assigned for trademark. This has led us to a discussion or a [related manifestation] by our colleagues in regions who are stating their support to the documents issued by the SSAC, and what I wanted to express is that the intention by the Latin American and Caribbean region to issue a report or at least a document supporting the original document by SSAC and to boost the [prevalence] by ALAC. This is what I wanted to say and to have this for the record. That's all; thank you very much, Mr. Chair.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:

Thank you very much, Sergio, much appreciated. It is in the [comments on the notes]. I think that's certainly a very important subject, that of the dotless domains bearing in mind that some organizations have intranets that use dotless domain names and that it's already been shown that some actually have "home" as one of them. And knowing that the new gTLD process has applications for .home, I believe, I think that a supportive statement is certainly something that we could do. And what I would like to ask is whether somebody could hold the pen from LACRALO to produce a statement quickly, to have that put on the Wiki and have it being considered an ALAC statement so as to give a lot of weight. We have to have this done within the next three or four days. So Sergio, is this something that can be done?

Sergio Salinas Porto:

I'm sorry, this is Sergio Salinas Porto requesting the floor.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:

Yes, I was going to ask you, Sergio – is this something that can be done?

Sergio Salinas Porto:

Yes, I would like in particular to issue a document to show our support of this document of SSAC. If I'm allowed to do so I can start working on this.



Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Thank you, Sergio. Does anyone think that there shouldn't be a statement on this? Alan, you've put your hand up.

Alan Greenberg: Just on a matter of semantics and it may have been translation, no one needs permission to do that kind of thing. The ALAC may choose to submit it as an ALAC statement, to modify it or not submit it, but an ALAC member doesn't need permission to work on something and submit something for ALAC consideration. Thank you.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Thank you, Alan, and that's a good reminder indeed. This is all bottom-up so if you feel, Sergio, that a statement is required and if your reason feels so then please, go ahead and hold the pen, and we'll work with staff for a Wiki page to be set up right away and for a statement to be put on there. I will ask you to respect the times that are required for everyone else to be able to comment on this, so please have your statement out as soon as possible.

Okay, so I'll hand the floor over to Alan for the additional comments that you wanted to speak about.

Alan Greenberg: Thank you. I did send out an email late last night and I hope people have had a chance to look at it – let me just pull it up. The issues at the last ExCom meeting, the issue was discussed of the Board resolution during its June meeting asking for community advice and particularly for AC and SO advice on how it should implement the WHOIS report recommendations. There are some people saying that they require more study and things shouldn't be done quickly; some statements saying GNSO must get involved in all the recommendations – a statement I find hard to justify but nevertheless.

---

And I suggested that the ALAC submit a very sharp and pointed advice to the Board.... This is not a public comment even though the Board did ask for input from the public in addition to ACs and SOs, and I drafted a statement which you can find – I don't know if someone can put it up in the chat: essentially it says we wish to reiterate what we said in our comment period statement, that we support the entire set of recommendations and we are calling on the Board to very quickly implement the ones that they can implement without having GNSO policy develop.

And I highlighted five of the recommendations, or rather six of the recommendations that I think are both crucial and will send a message particularly to formally make WHOIS strategies, consolidate all the policies into a single document, outreach to communicate what those policies are, address the Compliance issue of transparency – who they report to and adequate resources; improve the [InterNIC] service and actually develop a plan for WHOIS. All of these are purely Board decisions. They do not need to wait for anyone other than staff work to flesh it out perhaps, and it is crucial to ICANN's credibility for them to take action.

And the statement also notes that on the detailed and comprehensive plan that the Review Team asked for, the deadline the Review Team set has already passed. The three months that they said is a reasonable time to develop the plan, the Board has not done anything other than ask for input from the community, at least nothing publicly anyway. So I am suggesting the Board ask for input by the [31<sup>st</sup> of May]. I apologize for taking so long to draft the statement but I don't think it's controversial from our perspective and I would suggest that we want to approve it at this meeting so that it can be submitted in the timeline. And this is one of the few things that I deem to really be advice from the ALAC to the Board.

If it can be put up in the window it might be interesting and very useful for people who don't have access to the email. It was an email sent out that you should have received early this morning. Thank you. Hello? Has anyone heard me? Sorry, am I talking to dead space.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: No, we heard you. Can anyone actually hear me?

Alan Greenberg: Yes, we can hear you.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Alright, I was speaking and there was no response. I noticed much support on the chat and I also noticed green ticks from Jean-Jacques Subrenat and Avri as well. So in order to be able to move forward with this we will have to conduct a vote; either that or what we can do is to ask... I'm not quite sure. I think a vote would probably be in order on this.

Alan Greenberg: A vote would be necessary in person or electronically.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: It would be. As a statement it would need to be. So if I can ask everyone who is on the chat to please click onto the statement itself, and someone will have to read it to the record – perhaps Alan?

Alan Greenberg: I can read it to the record. I just actually have read most of it but I will read the whole thing right now. It would really be nice if we could have gotten it up there. In any case...

Heidi Ullrich: Yeah, Alan, we're working on that.

---

Alan Greenberg:

Okay; I will start reading and it may show up. Okay, “In a statement of June 19<sup>th</sup>, 2012,” and I give the URL, “the ALAC supported the recommendations of the WHOIS Policy Review Team and urged the Board to take effective action on these recommendations. On June 23<sup>rd</sup>, 2012, the ICANN Board passed its resolution 2012.06.23.26, which read ‘Resolved, the Board encourages public input on the final report and recommendations and requests the ASO, ccNSO, GNSO, ALAC, GAC, and SSAC provide input to the Board by August 31, 2012.’ The ALAC wishes to reiterate that it believes that the entire set of recommendations should be implemented with expediency. The ALAC understands that several of these recommendations may require GNSO policy development but the vast majority do not.

“The ALAC wishes to highlight several of the recommendations that the Board clearly can move on unilaterally and addressing these will both serve to improve the overall WHOIS situation and send a message to the community that the ICANN Board considers this an important issue. Recommendation 1: make WHOIS a strategic priority. Recommendation 2: consolidate current policies into a single clear and comprehensible policy statement. Recommendation 3: outreach. Recommendation 4: address compliance, transparency and reporting-

Heidi Ullrich:

Alan, this is Heidi. Could you slow down please for the interpreters?

Alan Greenberg:

I’m sorry. Do you want me to start the recommendations over?

Heidi Ullrich:

No, I think it’s fine.

Alan Greenberg:

Okay, Recommendation 3 was outreach. “Recommendation 4: address Compliance – both Compliance transparency, reporting and resources.

---

Recommendation 11: improve InterNIC service. Recommendation 16: detailed and comprehensive plan. “The ALAC notes that the Review Team’s deadline for implementing Recommendation 15 has already passed. The Board needs to move quickly and decisively on this report.”

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Thank you very much, Alan.

Alan Greenberg: Now, it does not address the various functional capabilities of WHOIS. Access and IDNs, WHOIS accuracy and things like that which may require more implementation and some may require either GNSO Policy Group work or in the case of IDNs further work from the IDN Working Groups. It identifies the things that are strategic from a management point of view, and as Evan points out in the chat we could focus more on Compliance and reporting; but I think as a package this says we expect the Board to act on all six of these because there’s no reason not to unless it disagrees with them. Thank you.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Thank you very much, Alan. And the floor is now open for comments or questions, and first is Jean-Jacques Subrenat.

Jean-Jacques Subrenat: Thank you, Olivier, this is Jean-Jacques Subrenat. Alan, thank you for this update and I had seen it by email. So the general remark at the end of your recommendations – “The ALAC notes the...” Would it be possible to strengthen this by suggesting a date or a timeline for the Board to achieve that? Because what I notice is that on many important subjects there are motions from various parts of the community, calling on the Board to achieve this or that objective and very often there is no suggested timeline. What would be a realistic approach on the part of ALAC – for instance, to say “by Toronto,” or “by Beijing” or something like that? Thank you.

Alan Greenberg: If you're asking for an opinion I would actually prefer not to make a statement because I think the onus is on them to act decisively and quickly as requested. If one wanted to put a date I would say no later than the end of the Toronto meeting, but I'm not really convinced it adds a lot to it – but that's perhaps a realistic target.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Thank you, Alan. Next is Carlton Samuels.

Carlton Samuels: Thank you, Olivier – this is Carlton Samuels for the record. I made a comment on the list specifically with respect to Recommendation #4 from the Review. I am proposing that the ALAC make a specific recommendation that there is an organizational change in ICANN Compliance, the organization, to remove them from under the supervision of ICANN Legal. Evan has also added his support for this in the chat. Thank you.

Alan Greenberg: My answer, and obviously we could do that, is that that is exactly what the second part of Recommendation #4 is saying. The Review Team made it exceedingly clear that it must not report to Legal; it must report directly to a senior executive and be responsible to a Board committee, not responsible to the CEO. And there's no way they can come anywhere near implementing that request without taking that action. So I don't think it's necessary to gild the recommendation by doing that. Obviously we could add some words to it but that is exactly what Recommendation #4 is talking about and there's no possible way anyone could misunderstand that.

So I'm not sure we need to highlight it clearly; it is one of the most important ones and if anything we could call out Recommendation #4 in the last paragraph. But to be honest I think we're being very clear as it is. And Cheryl's

---

making the comment “If we want to repeat it we can certainly do it.” I could craft a sentence quickly on the fly and we can come back to it in five minutes if you wish.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Thank you, Alan. Carlton, did you wish to respond or shall we just let Alan then craft a sentence?

Carlton Samuels: Thanks, Chair – this is Carlton for the record. I totally agree with Alan that the Recommendation #4 says it in full, and I’ve looked at it many times. I just wanted to ensure... I think it would be a singular message that this specific portion of the recommendation is important to us by highlighting it. Thank you.

Alan Greenberg: Let me draft a sentence and if we can come back to it in five minutes.

Carlton Samuels: I would appreciate that, Alan. Thank you, sir.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Okay, thank you very much, Alan. I note that Evan wanted his comment to be read to the record – is that pretty much along Carlton’s line?

Alan Greenberg: I think so as I understood it.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Yes, Jean-Jacques has his hand up.

---

Jean-Jacques Subrenat: Yes, coming back to Alan's remark – this is Jean-Jacques Subrenat. Coming back to Alan's remark I'd like to say that from the perspective of having worked on the Board, I would say that suggesting a timeline would be quite useful actually. It accentuates, it strengthens the message from the ALAC. Thank you.

Alan Greenberg: Alan speaking – noted, and it will be in my revision. Thank you.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Okay, so thank you, Alan. If I can ask you to redraft this or append it at the end, and we'll move on to the next item in our agenda and then we'll come back to you. So the next item on the agenda is the Consumer Metrics final report with the next steps.

Now, the final report has been drafted and has taken into account the comments that were made during the public comment period. The report is now being sent to the GNSO Council for it to read and act on it, and one discussion that took place in the Working Group was a message of support from the ALAC to the GNSO Council which would certainly bring more confidence into those recommendations to be acted upon and then passed on over to the Board.

So I invite you all to the At-Large Consumer Metrics Final Advice workspace. There's a very, very short statement that was hastily drafted last night and it might need some clarification or certainly some expansion. And I suggest just reading it to the record and then opening the floor for questions and comments.

So the short statement is "The ALAC, after having reviewed the Report prepared by the Consumer Trust Working Group hereby endorses its contents and thanks the members of the working group for their work. Trust in the Internet's Naming System is of paramount importance to internet users. We believe that the set of metrics proposed by the working group will help track the New gTLD Program according to the requirements of the Affirmation of Commitments and recommend that these are forwarded to the ICANN Board for implementation."



---

For any amendments required, Heidi kindly cut and pasted this short statement over to the chat so we can open the floor for discussion. I see an agreement from Cheryl and from Rinalia. Carlton, okay. So in view that the next GNSO Council, well actually I was going to ask Alan if he can now be tasked while rewriting or adding to the previous section, when was the next GNSO Council meeting due or if you knew whether we (inaudible) soon.

Alan Greenberg:

The next GNSO Council meeting is sometime around the middle of September. I don't remember the exact date; I could check if it matters. It was supposed to be the 9<sup>th</sup> but it was pushed back a week or so, so it falls a little bit closer and evenly splits the time between the last GNSO meeting and the Toronto meeting. I believe it's something like the 13<sup>th</sup> of September but I don't remember the exact date; I'll have to check in a moment if it matters.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:

Okay, thank you. Alan. I see Cheryl has her hand up. Cheryl?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:

Thank you, Olivier – Cheryl Langdon-Orr for the transcript record and for the interpreters. I would absolutely *love* Alan to be able to see in the record at the GNSO meeting, to pass on to the GNSO Council and repeating my tone – not the interpreters, Veronica and Andrew – but rubbing their face in it I think is how the tone should be interpreted without prompt endorsement from the ALAC and the At-Large community, because the work that Olivier and a few other people have done on this has been constant but has also constantly butted up against some rather bizarre internal politics. And it would be a very nice thing for Alan to be able to just say “Oh yes, and by the way...” Thank you, she said maliciously.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:

Thank you very much.

Alan Greenberg: It's Alan speaking. Can I ask Cheryl or someone to draft something that I may reinterpret but nevertheless to have words that actually came from the ALAC would be useful. As some of you know, sometimes the statements I make in Council which I claim are ALAC statements are called into question as to whether they're really ALAC statements or not. So while I don't think there needs to be a vote on this it would be nice if it was made in public on the ALAC list so I could point to it, something like that.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: I'd like there to be a vote.

Alan Greenberg: Well then we have plenty of time if you want to vote. [laughter]

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Thank you very much, Alan, and I do think that we do have plenty of time. So rather than taking a vote on this call now since this will take another ten minutes, let us have a Big Pulse vote from this, an online vote that will start after this meeting and will last for five days. Alan, your hand is still up.

Alan Greenberg: Sorry, that was to make the comment I just made – it's down now.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Okay, thank you. Well certainly I see a lot of support for this so let's move with that. So now, can we go back to Agenda Item #7 – the ALAC Advice to the WHOIS Review Team Report? Alan, have you got that ready?

---

Alan Greenberg: It would have been ready if I hadn't been called on to speak. It will be ready in a moment. [laughter]

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Okay, so then we'll continue on our agenda and I'll hand the floor over to Avri for the At-Large New gTLD Working Group Request for an Extension of its Charter. I understand that Avri has just joined us, so Avri, you have the floor.

Avri Doria: Hi, it's Avri.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Yes, we can hear you. Go ahead, Avri.

Avri Doria: Oh, you can hear me, good – sorry. I had just gotten into the room but hadn't gotten my microphone hooked up yet. So okay, yes, the group basically discussed... Is that letter up here? No. Can that letter...

Heidi Ullrich: Avri, I've just put it into the chat – the link – and Matt, are you able to bring that up?

Avri Doria: Perhaps the link is sufficient. But in any case the basis of the request, and I just came out of another meeting so I'm trying to get all my context straight: the point of this request is the incredible disappointment about the outreach in terms of support applicants, but certainly also in terms of just reaching applicants in general in developing regions. So the request is that we take a look at that, because our initial SARP issue is essentially done; we basically take a look at this problem, look at the various suggestions that have been made... Okay, there. So just look at (inaudible) that have been made about what might have

---

been the cause – there’s a lot of discussion about the cause and no one’s really quite certain, so to look into it, gather the cause, to do a certain amount of analysis on why indeed the levels are as they are.

The other part is to look at then, once there’s a certain determination of what kinds of issues, then to basically offer recommendations for remediation that would be presented to the ALAC to consider and the community to consider, etc.; and whether that was fixes for the next round, considerations for the next round, recommendations for a special round, you know – any ideas that sort of come up. Those would be explored and those would be reported on. This is an activity that will sort of start slowly; it will probably gain more speed once the large part of the membership that’s in the review groups are freed up or when that activity has ended; and then go, basically look at a year cycle to come out with these recommendations with the analysis and recommendations, a first draft.

So that’s the request to basically extend the work items on our current charter – essentially to replace Item #2 which was the creation of SARP, etc., to look at its aftereffects. Any questions? Thanks.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Thank you, Avri, and now the floor is open for questions and comments.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Olivier, Cheryl here.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Cheryl, go ahead.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Avri, it’s not actually a question for Avri but I was just concerned that within the chat and Alan’s standing rewrite of the last paragraph in the chat, my support for

---

this and my trust that ALAC will also support it might have been lost in the flow. So I just wanted to have that pointed out to the record, thank you.

Avri Doria: I see a comment from Rinalia.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Her comments are in the chat. Rinalia, do you wish to speak up or... Well, why (inaudible) here sooner, Avri?

Avri Doria: Yeah, we thought about that. We received a certain amount of comments. First, I think it'll take a certain amount of time to get it moving, to get it going. We're moving out of the initial preoccupation with comments and objections and so it's going to take a while before it sort of gets going. It'll take an appreciable amount of time, several months of discussion to really start getting together and doing the work to understand the reasons and to look at the multiple reasons; and then coming up with solutions. You look at meetings schedules, you look at is this a weekly meeting, is this a biweekly, is it a monthly? I don't think it's a monthly [or a weekly] activity but just in terms of making [faith] estimations of when we'll get it done, I don't see it being possible to be sooner than a year. But certainly if we find a way to move in it we would, but I really do see a year as a realistic measure.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Okay, thank you, Avri, and I see a hand up from Alan Greenberg. You have the floor.

Alan Greenberg: Yeah, thank you – just a comment similar to Avri's but more specific. If you look at the message I sent out on the recent announcement ICANN made on actions related to the gTLD application process that is asking for clarification,

---

correcting errors and stuff – there’s still so much going on that is on a tight timeline that it’s not realistic to expect resources to be diverted to address something like this, which ultimately the results are not going to be needed for quite a while. I don’t think we want to wait. I agree although I didn’t initially – I agree that we should do it sooner rather than later but there’s just too much going on right now to divert resources, and that’s both staff resources and volunteer resources. So I think we need to set a realistic timeline, thank you.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:

Thank you very much, Alan. Avri, do you wish to comment on this?

Avri Doria:

No. I mean yeah, I support this. I do think it’s necessary to get started partially because I think it’ll take a while to get it actually started and going and yeah, so thanks and thanks for the support I’m reading.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:

Okay, thank you very much, Avri. And having seen that there is certainly a lot of support from participants on this call and on the chat, and also several green ticks, I wanted to make a consensus call here and find out if anybody actually objects to the charter extension as such, noting that we do have quorum at the moment from ALAC members. Alan, you have a green tick – is this an objection?

Alan Greenberg:

Green ticks are support – Alan speaking.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:

Green ticks show support, that’s what I was finding strange. Okay, I’ll (inaudible), right. So I believe that we have consensus here for the Working Group to continue on this extended charter.

Avri Doria: Thank you very much.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: So you're welcome, Avri, and good work so far with your Working Group. I think it's a great success that's done an enormous amount of work. For any people who are on the call who have not joined the Working Group I'm sure that you'd be welcome as well to take part, but certainly it's very well done. So applause all around.

Avri Doria: Thanks, and I'll take that [back to the group].

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Yes, and Avri we are noting unanimous agreement on the charter extension.

Avri Doria: Fantastic, thank you.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: So right, well we can go back now if Alan has managed to draft it and I believe he has – Agenda Item #7, the ALAC Advice on the WHOIS Review Team Report. So Alan, you have the floor.

Alan Greenberg: Well, I've just added what was requested. I've changed the sentence which says "The Board needs to act to move quickly and decisively on this report," to "The Board needs to move quickly and decisively on this report and in particular on Recommendation #4 regarding Compliance reporting structure. Moreover, the ALAC calls for such Board action no later than the end of the Toronto ICANN meeting."

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Thank you, Alan.

Alan Greenberg: Heidi has posted this to a Wiki site and I'm just in the process of cleaning it up, and it should be ready in a couple of minutes.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Okay, so we will have to have it on the screen before we take a vote on this.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: It was in the chat.

Heidi Ullrich: Olivier, this is Heidi – we're just switching it. Matt is going to switch that link and put that one up on the screen, but again, since Alan is still cleaning it up we'll have to refresh that in just a moment.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Okay, thank you Heidi. And since Alan has added the last text in the chat, does anyone have questions or comments on this? I see Yaovi has put his hand up. Yaovi, you have the floor. You might be muted, Yaovi.

Yaovi Atohoun: Can you hear me? I was on mute.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: We can now, yes. Go ahead, Yaovi.



---

Yaovi Atohoum: I have just one question: the question to know why the (inaudible) later than the end of the Toronto meeting. I just wanted [to know about this line].

Alan Greenberg: I'm not sure if the question is for me but I didn't understand it – Yaovi's voice is too muffled.

Carlton Samuels: The question, Alan... Are you hearing me?

Alan Greenberg: Yes, I can hear you.

Carlton Samuels: The question is why the deadline for the Toronto meeting.

Alan Greenberg: Jean-Jacques suggested a deadline and I suggested that might be a reasonable one – nothing more than that.

Carlton Samuels: Can I just add to it, the timeline in the Review Teams have made some specific recommendations. Some of them have already passed, so this is a good middling point to suggest to the Board to get moving and get it done.

Alan Greenberg: And it gives them the opportunity to get input during the ICANN meeting.

Carlton Samuels: That's correct. What I'm saying is I support the timeline that is proffered because it is a logical midpoint for it. Some have already passed and some yet

---

to come, but it gives them – as Alan added, it gives the Board time to have input at the Toronto meeting.

Yaovi Atohoun: Okay.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Sebastien has his hand up – this is Cheryl.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: And if I could unmute myself, thank you Cheryl. Yes, Sebastien, you have your hand up. Sebastien Bachollet, you have the floor. You might be muted.

Heidi Ullrich: Sebastien, \*7 to unmute please.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Sebastien, you're still muted; we can't hear you.

Carlton Samuels: He might be trying but he can't get it off. Oh, here he goes. He dropped, he dropped.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: He dropped.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Crikey.

---

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Okay, if Alan, if you do need a few more minutes then I can continue going down to Agenda Item #10 and you can have two more minutes?

Alan Greenberg: Thank you.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Okay, so let's move on to Agenda Item #10 – the At-Large Registrants Rights and Responsibilities Working Group, and a vote to endorse the new Chair of the Working Group. The previous Chair has resigned and so the nomination process [is going on in the] working group to appoint a new Chair. We have a proposal for Holly Raiche to take on the previous Chair's position, and the Vice-Chair remaining as Cintra Sooknanan. So the ALAC is now asked to ratify this change and for the Working Group to continue its fantastic work. We can see a link at the moment on the chat linking to the Registrants Rights and Responsibilities Working Group and its current membership.

The floor is open for questions or comments. I see no one putting their hand up; I see a green tick from Jean-Jacques and a note from Cheryl that Holly would be an excellent Chair for this Working Group. I think we can start then with a vote whilst we still have quorum, and so the vote for all those people in favor – only ALAC members, please, to vote. All those in favor, would you please put a green tick next to your name? And if you are not on the Adobe Connect can you say your name to the record or let staff now? I'll allow staff to deal with the calculations.

Heidi Ullrich: Olivier?

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Yes?

---

Heidi Ullrich: Okay, sorry, you've read my mind, Olivier. This is Heidi, and we'll go ahead, Matt, I'll read the people who are voting yes for ALAC members: Olivier, Natalia, Carlton, Jean-Jacques, Rinalia, Sala, Sandra, Sergio, Yaovi. Can you look at the numbers, Matt?

Matt Ashtiani: We have Olivier, Natalia, Carlton, Jean-Jacques, Rinalia, Sala, Sandra, Sergio, and Yaovi.

Heidi Ullrich: Okay, so I count nine.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Well it might be ten now.

Heidi Ullrich: Yeah, I don't think I said Evan before, so I think we have ten. Okay, so we have ten?

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: That's correct, yes – we have ten.

Heidi Ullrich: Okay, so Matt, please add Evan and we have...

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Heidi, I'm not sure whether we needed a proposer and a seconder. I certainly am happy to propose.

Heidi Ullrich: Okay, so is anyone willing to do a second?

Carlton Samuels: I will.

Heidi Ullrich: Okay, so Carlton is noted as the person to second that motion. And Rinalia?

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: As well, yes.

Heidi Ullrich: So again, for the record we had the proposal for Holly Raiche to become the new Chair of the Registrants Rights and Responsibilities Working Group. The motion was made by Olivier, seconded by Carlton and Rinalia and we had ten in favor. Olivier, do you wish to ask... Go ahead.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Yes, I'm going to ask that, you're reading my mind in such a case [because this is the thing that is done]. So anyone who wishes to vote against can you please put a red cross next to your name? I don't see anyone putting a red cross for the record; and anybody who wishes to abstain can you now also put up a red cross next to your name? And I see no abstentions either, so well done – congratulations to Heidi. And congratulations to the Working Group for suggesting such a wonderful new Chair, so applause all around. And since I believe Holly is not on this call can I please ask staff to notify Holly of her new appointment.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Olivier, Cheryl here – very briefly?

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Yes, Cheryl, go ahead.

---

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Thank you, Cheryl for the transcript record. I just wanted to note for the record now that the ALAC has made its very wise choice of endorsing Holly for this that ALAC has an additional benefit of course after Toronto in that it will have an ALAC member which can act also in a clear communications pathway in charge of this very important Work Group, and I think a Work Group that will have increased importance as we move into new gTLDs after this round [world]. Thank you.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Thank you very much, Cheryl. Carlton, over to you.

Carlton Samuels: I just wanted to endorse what Cheryl said.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Okay, thank you. Right, so we're done with that item and we can now move back to Agenda Item #7 for the third time – Alan, are you ready?

Alan Greenberg: I am ready. The Wiki was updated, the URL is in the chat. I'm not sure what else I can do here.

Heidi Ullrich: Matt, can you please post that link?

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: I'm awaiting one of two things – either for the URL...

Carlton Samuels: Might I suggest that Matt just read the last paragraph into the record.

---

Alan Greenberg: Well I can read it if that's what you want.

Carlton Samuels: Please do, Alan.

Alan Greenberg: "The ALAC notes that the Review Team's deadline for implementing Recommendation #15 has already passed. The Board needs to move quickly and decisively on this report and in particular on Recommendation #4 regarding the Compliance reporting structure. Moreover, the ALAC calls for such Board action no later than the end of the Toronto ICANN meeting." And there should only be one period at the end of that sentence for those who are reading it carefully.

Carlton Samuels: Yeah, that's fine. I see that but minor.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Okay. Any questions or comments before I call for a vote on this? Sebastien, you had put your hand up – you have the floor. And you probably are still muted.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Olivier, Cheryl here. You're about to lose quorum if you don't take the vote. Sebastien's not going to influence the vote – can you just do the vote and when he sorts out the...

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Yes, thank you, Cheryl – I think we do need to move ahead with this. So can I ask for a proposer?

Carlton Samuels: Can I propose that the ALAC move directly to vote on the statement on the WHOIS AOC Review Board Request now?

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Thank you, Carlton. And can I have a seconder please? Rinalia, Evan. And so all those in favor before we lose quorum, can you put a green tick next to your name to agree – all ALAC members to vote, please. And I note that Evan, and I'm not sure if he's still there, he is on the chat, has said that he'd like to register his affirmative vote on the charter extension as well as the WHOIS (inaudible). So yes, I can see Evan has also got his tick up on the screen. If I can please ask staff to make the count?

Heidi Ullrich: So Matt, this is Heidi. We have Olivier, Carlton, Evan, Jean-Jacques, Natalia, Rinalia, Sandra, Sala, and Sergio. Anybody else?

Carlton Samuels: Yaovi, you missed Yaovi.

Heidi Ullrich: And Yaovi, sorry, I didn't scroll down far enough. And (Inaudible), so I count ten?

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Okay, and out of ten present so that's unanimous I believe. So as far as abstentions are concerned, any abstentions can put a red tick next to their name. Of course if there are only ten members then we have a unanimous... And anyone against? Well you never know, somebody could change their mind. Is anyone against, just put a big red cross next to the name... And I don't see any



---

red crosses. So this is carried over. Thank you very much, and so Alan, I believe you will have to move forward on this.

Alan Greenberg: I don't think I have anything else to do. It's now a statement; presumably staff will take over and with expediency send it to the Board.

Heidi Ullrich: This is Heidi. Alan, I do note that some text should be italicized so we'll take care of that and prepare that statement.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Okay, thank you very much. Right, we now move on to-

Alan Greenberg: Olivier, it's Alan. My thanks to the ALAC for acting on this so quickly when I did this so late in the ALAC meeting structure's overall timeline. Thank you.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Okay, thank you Alan. So now we have Items for Discussion and as you can see there's quite a few. The first one is the update from selected At-Large Working Groups, and we have three Working Group Chairs to speak to us very briefly please on what's been happening in their working group. The first person is Cheryl Langdon-Orr speaking to us about the ALAC Rules of Procedure Working Group and also the progress of the ALAC Metrics (inaudible). Cheryl, you have the floor.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Thank you, Olivier – Cheryl Langdon-Orr for the transcript record. I'm going to be very brief and I'm going to simply draw your attention to the online monthly reporting, and mention to you for the transcript record that the regular period joint meeting of the full Rules of Procedure Review Work Group – that is all

---

four of the different Drafting Teams and the Metrics Subcommittee – was held earlier in my day, which is yesterday now, and that we have various timelines that are progressing towards our next meeting on the 15<sup>th</sup> of September, and which will be meeting as a whole again on the 17<sup>th</sup> of September. And our drop deadline is of course to have things prepared for the ALAC's consideration during its Toronto meeting. That's it from me.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:

Thank you very much, Cheryl, and I do note the extensive amount of work that has been done by all of the penholders and their working groups, or sub working teams. It really is great to see the community take so much interest and so much time to redraft those and get a new set of Rules of Procedure put together. It's hard work, and it's very interesting working practices; and it's interesting to see how consensus is achieved on those conference calls and of course by using the Wiki. Any comments or questions? Okay, well thank you. Next is the New gTLD Review Group with Dev Anand Teelucksingh.

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:

Hi, this is Dev Anand Teelucksingh, thank you. This is Dev Anand Teelucksingh for the transcript record. The gTLD Review Group is still receiving comments for consideration by ALAC for submission to the evaluation panels or for objection grounds for the ICANN public comment forum because the application comment period was extended until September 26<sup>th</sup>. So we are still able to receive comments up until September 10<sup>th</sup>, and so far we received one comment on community objection grounds by Internet New Zealand regarding the gTLD string .book by the application by Amazon EU.

The comment by that organization and the comments received by At-Large raised concerns regarding the availability of second-level domains under generic top-level domains, and whether domains under such generic top-level domains should be available or open to the wider public or closed to the applicants. Because those concepts were outside the scope of the application the Review

---

Group decided not to submit a comment on this application but to refer the issues to the New gTLD Working Group where it's now being considered.

Just to also note that in terms of the timeline for the deadline of filing objections to the dispute resolution service providers is January 12<sup>th</sup>, 2013. This means two things: one, that by the October meeting we really should have some comments in order for the Review Group to decide to actually start working on objection statements. So I would urge the ALAC and so too the RALOs and At-Large to submit comments now on the applications, so that by Toronto we'll have enough comments to begin deciding whether to draft objection statements. I think that's it.

Carlton Samuels:

This is Carlton for the record. The Chair has dropped and they are trying to reach him. You've just heard from Dev whose Chair of the New gTLD Review Group and his statement. Are there any comments from members or questions for Dev? The floor is open. The Chair is back, I hand over to the Chair.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:

Great, thanks very much, Carlton, for this (inaudible). And Yaovi Atohoun has his hand up. Yaovi, you have the floor.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:

It's hard to hear you, Olivier – Cheryl for the transcript.

Yaovi Atohoun:

Thank you. I have a question to Dev. So far we have one comment, so I'm wondering if there is something you think we should be doing in our various RALOs; and if so is there a message you can send to us to do something because so far we have only one comment? [Certainly in that Working Group] so far so [there is only one comment that has been made], and if you think that there is a message we can send to our members in the various At-Large Structures. So if

---

you can just send us a message and we can take action. Thank you, this is Yaovi.

Dev Anand Teelucksingh: This is Dev; thank you, Yaovi. Well, I think the message to the RALOs is that this is your opportunity to comment on the new gTLD applications given that this is the first time At-Large has been given an operational rule regarding the new gTLD applications. And this has been going back since the At-Large Summit in 2009 that the At-Large was calling for operational rule. And now we've been given this rule so I would urge the RALOs to actively... And I believe there's a Secretariats' meeting tomorrow, a RALO and Secretariats' meeting tomorrow so I'll make the recommendation again there that it be taken up by the RALOs. And if there are any comments regarding any applications, and I'm seeing comments on the public comment forum so you know, to just submit them so that we can all review them and consider them and so forth. That's it.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Thank you very much, Dev. I'm going to try to speak loudly; I hope you can all hear me but it's the line that-

Alan Greenberg: I can't hear you, Olivier.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: I can't speak any louder!! [laughter]

Alan Greenberg: Then you need a better phone.

---

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: This is Cheryl here. We need to dial out to Olivier because it's really hard to hear him, and I also have my hand up.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: I'm really shouting now! Okay, dial out again to me please!

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Okay, while we're dialing out to Olivier, Carlton, may I just follow on from what Dev was saying?

Carlton Samuels: Yes, absolutely Cheryl, go right ahead.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Thank you. I just wanted, as someone who was consulted quite extensively in the APRALO world by Internet NZ – of course as one of our ALSes – even though, and I think most of APRALO would support how the Review Group has handled the concerns of the At-Large community within New Zealand. And I'd like to have on the record that we thank Dev and his team for how that was corresponded and dealt with. That being sort of sidelined, because it was out of scope, I think that's sort of proof of concept and obviously had it been gone to a vote the RALO I would predict would have not only supported it but would have encouraged an appropriate number of other regions to do so as well.

But it was out of scope and we kind of realized it was out of scope as I suggested to them, but the fact that the process existed and that the concern of the community in New Zealand was so appropriately managed I thought should be on the record. And obviously we trust that we're [expended] to, and with the discussions I've seen on the public comments list and other lists that something will be done about it. But I just wanted to say whilst it was out of scope, the one thing that did come through from an At-Large Structure I think was handled extremely well indeed. Thank you.

Carlton Samuels: Thank you, Cheryl. Alan, you have your hand up, sir. You have the floor.

Alan Greenberg: Yeah, thank you. When we were creating this process I believe I made the point that I didn't really expect a lot of comments but it was important that we put a rigorous process in place to handle any comments that were made. That being said, I'm rather disappointed that given the nearly 2000 gTLD applications there are no other comments from At-Large which people feel important enough to raise with the ALAC and with the possibility of the ALAC making a comment on their behalf, or ultimately even an objection. And presumably ALAC's comments will be treated with perhaps just a bit more seriousness than the individuals' comments on the ICANN public [list].

So I'm rather concerned that the lack of comments, even more than I was expecting, indicates that our community is not really focusing on this. And we fought hard for a place in this process and I wonder how it's going to be looked at in the next round given that we have so little comment. Now, I'm not saying the comments would have been so onerous that we would have actually taken formal action on them but the lack of comments speaks volumes to me. So I'm just registering my concern, thank you.

Carlton Samuels: Thank you, Alan. Olivier is back so I hand it over to the Chair.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Thank you very much, Carlton, and I hope that you can all hear me now.

Alan Greenberg: Yes.

---

Carlton Samuels: Yes, we are hearing you, good.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Thank you. I have missed part of the discussion there. I just wanted to register one question with regards to the [closed] generics. Has this group already treated this?

Alan Greenberg: I'm sorry, Olivier, it's Alan – I didn't understand your question.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: The closed generics: some people in ICANN and in the community are concerned about applicants wishing to run generic TLDs as closed or [world] guarded registries with the registry being the holder of all names in the registry and the whole case of the registration to use as being limited or in fact nil – thus equating a generic word to a brand. I'm not sure whether we have treated this.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Sorry, Cheryl here – actually, Cheryl's not sorry she's here. I guess the whole point of how Dev and his team handled the matter raised by Internet New Zealand – it was out of scope for what our process, our objection process was able to manage. And I thought the way they handled it, even though it was out of scope as pushing it to hopefully give a little bit more weight to the necessity of dealing with the horror – such to give you a concept of where my personal views stand of closed generics – it is and what it would mean to the internet using public who aren't even on the internet yet in the future. I think [fall gardening is just another land graph] and I think we should do what we can to make sure if it does happening it happens under extreme resistance.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Thank you, Cheryl. Alan?

Alan Greenberg:

Yeah, I guess Dev should answer the question, but in defense of the group there was a discussion and the discussion, the substance was that it may be true that .book should not be registered, a generic word with restricted usage, but the rules ICANN put in place after substantive discussion allowed it – and it's a bit late now for it to be refused other than the Board exercising its prerogative which it reserved to itself of not delegating a domain because it was not in the public interest. There are no other mechanisms at this point that really allow for it under the approved process. Perhaps that was stupid of ICANN and all of us to have allowed that to happen, but that's where we are today.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:

Okay, thank you very much, Alan. I am in receipt of an email that I received a bit earlier this week from Michele Neylon asking for support for a draft letter to be sent to the ICANN Board I believe, and asking whether we wanted to have signatories underneath it. I'm not sure whether I have forwarded it or not so I'll take it as a follow-up action after this call has finished. We are running out of time again – it is 39 minutes past the hour and we've already gone nine minutes overtime.

Let's just move on to the next Agenda Item, #11B – the At-Large Academy Working Group, and whether Sandra Hoferichter could give us a quick one-minute update on what's been happening there. Sandra, you have the floor.

Sandra Hoferichter:

Thank you, Olivier, it's Sandra speaking for the record. First, can you all hear me?

Carlton Samuels:

Yes Sandra, go right ahead.



---

Sandra Hoferichter:

Okay, thank you. About the ICANN Academy, our work group was recently called ICANN Academy but it is now called the Higher Leadership Training Program in Toronto. We are in a very critical moment where we have a decision during the next days of will something happen or not. If we go back to the Prague meeting, in Prague we had a rather confusing Working Group meeting, not discussing what was on the agenda at all nor the content of the curriculum for the broader community but discussing budget questions and responsibility questions. After that many people left for summer break and Filiz and I restarted with this last proposal for a curriculum for a two days' program which was submitted to the Working Group last week, yes.

Since then we've had a pretty active dialog or discussion going on on the Working Group list which is good, because this discussion actually should have started earlier in Prague already and but now it's turned out that there are many misperceptions about the what and whom and who is going to do what, and what is going to be taught and so on and so forth. And what's [decided] now is I set up the Doodle Poll questioning if we should go for a one-day or two-day program or if we should even postpone the program for a later stage.

I cannot give you a final answer on this yet, it's been more or less 50/50 for a one-day program and for postponing the program which in my point of view would be really a pity because the signs and the signals were pretty good and actually none of the discussions are active going on on the Working Group list. I believe that there could be something done which deserves to be named a pilot and then we'll learn from it, but let's see. Are there any questions? If not yet I will be happy to answer the questions on the mailing list or via email.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:

Thank you very much, Sandra. I think we have to move on, so thank you for all your hard work on this and do continue to keep us informed; and as you said, any questions the emails go over to you. Alan, you still have your hand up from previously I gather...

---

Alan Greenberg:

I do not have my hand up on my screen; I can't tell you what's on your screen.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:

Then my screen is also acting up – great stuff. Alright, great, so let's move on and we have with us Naela Sarras with staff who unfortunately has to leave very soon, and the suggestion then is to jump to Agenda Item #14 – the Universal Acceptance of All TLDs with a quick... (inaudible) The Wiki page for the universal acceptance is probably is (inaudible) draft. Naela, you have the floor.

Naela Sarras:

Okay. Hi, good morning everyone, this is Naela here. Thank you, Olivier, and thank you everyone. So I understand we're giving a quick brief overview of this project, and then there's a specific item that we're asking for input on. So this is the Universal Acceptance of All TLDs as Olivier just said. This is not a new effort for ICANN. It's been an ongoing effort within ICANN.

A briefing of this I believe was given to the ALAC during the Prague meeting by my colleague Karla Valente, and basically what the project is about is to raise awareness about the diversity of domains that we have in the root zone currently and that we expect to see in the root zone. This is to ensure that software on the internet accepts all domains, regardless of whether they're ASCII, they're written in ASCII characters or they're IDNs, meaning they're written in different scripts than the traditional way in which we're used to seeing TLDs, which is in the ASCII script.

And so based on this input, we've been going into this for about six months now. We've gotten a lot of input from current TLD registries, specifically gTLDs that were introduced that were more than the traditional three characters; also IDN ccTLDs that have now been in the root zone for about two years who have had IDN country code top-level domains. So we've had input from them about the issues they've encountered, and we've put together some presentations that were given at the last couple of meetings – in Costa Rica and then again in Prague. And we also have an informational flyer that was put together, and that

---

informational flyer – again this is the information and that’s what’s out now for review.

And we do want the ALAC to give us their input on this informational flyer. It’s basically a piece of information that says this is what we think the issues are, and we’re inviting people to tell us how to actually go about addressing them. By no means does it have answers by any means. It gives ideas on what we can do to increase awareness about TLDs and increase acceptability of them, and by acceptability – it’s important to distinguish the acceptability we mean is that software actually recognizes them. As those TLDs hit the root zone it also recognizes them. It doesn’t have [to be in synch] with what TLD gets inputted into the root zone and what TLD doesn’t.

And then so we want input on these educational materials, and then we want to put together a session for the Toronto meeting, again to discuss some of these issues and to bring in more inputs; and we hope to target potential new TLD registry operators in Toronto. But this session is still coming together right now so we don’t really have a lot of detail about what’s happening in that session. But somebody will be communicating with all the groups, once we have the session finalized, about when it’s happening and inviting people to please join us and give us input. And I think that’s all we wanted to say for today, and thank you for giving us the time to speak about this.

And I don’t know in what format you have the flyer, but maybe if we could get any input from you today or how you... I don’t know how you want to provide your input but that’s what we’re looking for. And if you have any questions please let me know.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:

Thank you very much, Naela. We have a couple of people who have put their hand up. This flyer is currently on a Wiki page and we only have the text and so giving you direct input is going to be a little hard but since it’s in the Wiki we can actually put comments underneath. But first I’ll turn the floor over to Jean-Jacques Subrenat.

Jean-Jacques Subrenat: Thank you, Olivier, this is Jean-Jacques. Yes, I have a couple of remarks about the flyer, the first to say that I find it a very good exercise – it’s very useful for the end users. My second remark is that this would be especially useful in translation into the UN languages. My third remark about translation is that this is typically something which could be done not by a professional translating company but by our RALOs, so I suggest that those who want to have such a flyer in their own language should volunteer to ensure the translation and also the control of the translation. Occasionally we see things in various languages that are not as good as the English original. My fourth remark is that this flyer could also be very useful in various instances, for instance when the ALAC Academy, as additional material for this or that training. Thank you.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Thank you very much, Jean-Jacques, and these remarks will be taken into account of course through the recording and into the transcript of this call, and can be forwarded to Naela if you have not yet made note of it. Quickly, Alan Greenberg?

Alan Greenberg: Yes, I just wanted to highlight the difficulty of the problem that was described. If you follow the URL in our agenda to the Wiki which is a copy of the flyer, there’s a paragraph which says “Multiple representation in non-Latin domains introduced a new idea. Presentation and wire formats are different. For example, XYZ-zckzwah and something are the exact same domain” – the “something” does not show on the Wiki because the Wiki doesn’t handle that character set. So this illustrates the problem, or at least on my screen it doesn’t.

Naela Sarras: Thank you, that’s excellent, yeah. That’s excellent, thank you – that’s supposed to be in Japanese actually, Japanese script.

Alan Greenberg:                    Yeah, I did a Google search and I know what it's supposed to be but it isn't.  
[laughter]

Naela Sarras:                      Thank you for bringing that up.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:            Thank you, Alan, and thank you Naela. That is one that is not universally  
accepted for the time being. I think we are running out of time on this subject  
and on this call altogether. For any further questions, or more like comments...  
Well first two things: there is a PDF copy of the flyer . Can I ask staff to liaise  
with you, Naela, and put the PDF copy on the Wiki and hopefully that will show  
up in Japanese or any other script that one needs to represent there.

And then the second thing of course is ask anyone who wishes to submit  
comments, to submit them on the Wiki comment at the bottom of the page. And  
I'm really sorry to have to cut this one short but we are really fiercely running  
out of time and we will soon lose our interpreters as well. So thank you, Naela.  
Thank you, Naela, for also passing by and also for seeing us and speaking to us  
about this. And just one last question: what is the timescale for comments to be  
sent to you?

Naela Sarras:                      Well, we would prefer if possible to have the comments [to be in] in mid-  
September just because we're shooting for finalizing everything and printing for  
Toronto, and as you know we need to have enough time to do that.

Carlton Samuels:                    Hello?

---

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:

Cheryl is still here even if no one [else is].

Carlton Samuels:

Someone is gone, maybe it's Olivier.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:

Take over, Carlton.

Carlton Samuels:

I think Olivier dropped – this is Carlton for the record. Are there any other further comments on this issue? I see no further comment. As the Chair had mentioned before he got unceremoniously dropped we are running short of time. Can we move then to the next topic on the agenda, and I think it is the Toronto meeting?

Heidi Ullrich:

Yes, Carlton, this is Heidi. Actually the next one was the At-Large delegate for the 2013 NomCom.

Carlton Samuels:

Oh, that's right. We don't have quorum.

Heidi Ullrich:

Yes, this is just for discussion so this is Olivier was going to review the candidates, and a Big Pulse vote will be...

Carlton Samuels:

He's coming back – are you back, Chair? No? I can tell you that we've had proposals from all the regions about the Chair. For four regions they have proposed reappointment of the existing member of the NomCom; from the LACRALO region there are two candidates which we had a preference vote in

---

the LACRALO region, and by a very short hair Vanda Scartezini who we all know very well was recommended above Jacqueline Morris who was the incumbent NomCom appointment to from the ALAC from this region.

The question is we have a set of, all of that is fully documented on the Wiki and Heidi has just placed the link to the Wiki workspace with all that information in the chat. The question is, I see Heidi has her hand up? Yes Heidi?

Heidi Ullrich: Hi yes, this is Heidi – thank you, Carlton. I just wanted to note that on that Wiki page that I just put into the chat, all of the candidates for the At-Large delegates to the 2013 NomCom are posted – the SOIs.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Hello?

Heidi Ullrich: Olivier, is that you?

Carlton Samuels: Olivier's back?

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Okay, I'm back now.

Carlton Samuels: Okay, I'll hand it over to you.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Unfortunately I can't hear you. I can hear you via the Adobe Connect but I can't hear you via the other side.

Heidi Ullrich: Okay, Olivier, we'll take care of that. So again, let me just continue. On that Wiki page we have all the SOIs from the candidates for the 2013 NomCom At-Large voting delegates, and you'll see that the appointment or selection has been revised in the schedule. So the ALAC endorsement and selection will be carried out online between, well it's supposed to start tomorrow – I will have to adjust that. I think if Olivier can confirm it will start today?

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Yes.

Carlton Samuels: Yes.

Heidi Ullrich: So Olivier confirms that, so an action item for staff is to start the vote on that today so we'll adjust that; and I believe it will go then until the 1<sup>st</sup> of September. Olivier, is that correct?

[ringing on line]

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: I think the answer is probably yes because he's typing in there the confirmation of the lineup. This is Cheryl for the record.

Carlton Samuels: Is Olivier back? No?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: We can't understand you, Olivier. We can barely hear him.

---



Olivier Crépin-Leblond: I'll ask for a call again.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: No, no, we can hear you now!

Carlton Samuels: We can hear you fine.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Okay, sorry about that. Well I've listened to what's been happening in the Adobe – thank you for taking over, Carlton, again on this. This is just to say that yes, four candidates to endorse, one selection to make for one region and this can now be done online because since we vote on these matters it involves people. So the vote will actually be confidential and will not be reflected with the names of the voters.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Next item?

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Any questions? Or I see Heidi has put her hand up – Heidi?

[Sophia crying in background]

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: I think Heidi might be distracted, yeah.

Carlton Samuels: I think Heidi was a little distracted just now.

---

Heidi Ullrich: Sorry, everyone. [laughter]

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Okay, so (inaudible) during this call. I've noticed that we're two minutes until the top of the hour. Let's move on then to the next part, which is the discussion of the Toronto meeting agendas.

Alan Greenberg: Olivier, it's Alan. Can I have a comment on the previous subject, please?

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Yes, go ahead Alan.

Alan Greenberg: Yeah, I'm a little bit confused by what you're suggesting. Clearly it's not my call but if the RALO has made a recommendation in a priority order why is the ALAC not simply taking that recommendation?

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: In previous years the ALAC has made its choice and not just endorsed a RALO's recommendation. So the reason being is that if there are three candidates for one position then we cannot say "Do you agree to this?" but rather "Who would you like to be on this?" So the votes that we did last year was a vote with the actual names of the candidates and the ALAC chooses. This year the vote is I guess for the sake of integrity going to need to be the same, and so for the LACRALO region there needs to be a vote among the two candidates that are there.

---

Alan Greenberg: Yeah, I just thought in the past that the only time the ALAC has chosen is when the RALO has said they were not in a position to make a formal choice. I may be wrong.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Yes you are wrong – Cheryl here. You're wrong and you're wrong to an extent that is fairly serious and we need to make clear to everyone: in fact, the ALAC has also chosen not to appoint anyone a RALO has put forward on at least two occasions.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: That's correct.

Alan Greenberg: My mistake, then. I withdraw.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: And there were also nominations from the ALAC in past times. In fact, (inaudible) I think has dropped off from the call but whether there was any call for nominations if anybody wishes to make from *any* of those regions, actually. And I don't see anyone putting their nomination hand up or making any nominations as we speak so we can take it that the slate will be as is currently presented by the RALOs.

Alan Greenberg: Okay, my apologies. I withdraw my comment.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Okay, thank you Alan. Next, Heidi – you still have your hand up. Is it you or...

---

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:

[That's an old hand, I think.]

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:

Okay, this is becoming a laborious end to the call. Let's move on to the discussion of the Toronto ALAC meetings agendas, and again here I call upon Heidi – and if Heidi is available.

Heidi Ullrich:

I'm here.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:

Heidi, you're back? You have the floor.

Heidi Ullrich:

Yes I'm here, sorry. So just very briefly, I'm aware of the time: so again, please everyone the Toronto workspace is available. It has all of the meetings on it and I'm going to put that into the chat right now. Please, if you are chairing a meeting that is taking place there please do add your agenda as soon as possible. Also, please look onto that workspace. You will see Wiki pages set up for questions for various meetings or for the various sessions, for example with Communications, with Compliance, etc. Please fill those out. We're going to be sending those to the various staff members shortly, perhaps mid-September, and I think that's it. The only change in the schedule likely to happen is a switch in times and dates between the Registrant Rights Working Group and the New gTLD Working Group. But besides that, everything is set to go.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:

Okay, thank you very much, Heidi, for the quick update. Any questions or comments on this? No comments or questions from anyone. I have to thank you very much, you and other staff members who have been putting these meeting agendas together. They always are very, very hard things to do and there are just so many of them this time around. I think we will all find out in a

---

few weeks' time when we meet in Toronto how much pain and hardship we're putting ourselves through. There's certain (inaudible) but a hearty round of applause for you and the extensive amount of work it's taken to put these together in whatever small amount of time that it has.

Moving swiftly on, and we're moving now to the At-Large elections 2012. That is actually a tag on from the At-Large delegate to the 2013 NomCom because we're also doing this [for I think] members of the ALAC. And I invite you all to look again at the list which is provided currently on the Wiki with several people who have been presented here. We're still waiting for one of the regions to go forward with their selections and we do have a little bit of time on this one. Heidi, can I call upon you again to let us know more about the scheduling on that one, the timeline?

Heidi Ullrich:

I'm sorry, this is Heidi. Were you talking about the elections?

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:

Yes, the elections – At-Large elections 2012 with the LACRALO selection being the last one.

Heidi Ullrich:

So just the LACRALO one, is that what I'm hearing? Or did you want me to go through... Correct, just LACRALO?

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:

You can go through all of them if you've already got the results.

Heidi Ullrich:

Okay, so yes, very quickly: AFRALO, we have Tijani back as ALAC representative; we have Mohammed as the NomCom delegate or the candidate for the NomCom; we have Aziz back as the Secretary. For APRALO we have

---

Holly in on the ALAC replacing Edmon's position. For EURALO we have Sandra reappointed – congratulations, Sandra. For LACRALO there was a vote on the Rule #8 issue going on there – that's going to be announced today; and following that a vote on the candidate or candidates will be taking place starting today and ending I believe on Saturday. And in NARALO we have Evan reappointed, so congratulations to Evan. And we also have Garth in NARALO as the new NARALO Chair, and he was on the call and I think he still is on the call, so congratulations, Garth; and also Darleen was reappointed as the NARALO Secretariat. So a quick run through there. Olivier?

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:

Okay, thank you very much. And I note there the (inaudible) LACRALO filed for nominees is also a candidate for Chair, I would have hoped they've also disclosed that to the LACRALO and to the ALAC. I have checked with the person concerned and the answer was no, so there is no (inaudible). In other words, the nominee is also the candidate for Chair. (Inaudible). Either I'm done or dead or whatever else you might be doing in the two hours since we've started the call.

Moving on to Agenda Item #16, and you can't hear me? I can't speak any louder than this, but Cheryl, I believe you have some 'any other business' to talk to us about.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:

I do.

Jean-Jacques Subrenat:

Olivier, this is Jean-Jacques. Before we go to any other business...

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:

Okay, so Jean-Jacques first.

---

Jean-Jacques Subrenat: Thank you. About nominations and things like that, I just want to confirm that under ALAC members [selected by the NomCom] maybe you know that I was a candidate to pursue on the ALAC, and I was asked by the NomCom to say nothing and not to say whether I had been approved or not approved for a second term. So I just want to let you know that I am on that list and waiting for a public declaration from the NomCom, so I can't say anything about that right now. Thanks.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Okay, thank you very much, Jean-Jacques, that's much appreciated. And yes, I understand from the NomCom that results will be given in two days' time on the 30<sup>th</sup> of August.

Jean-Jacques Subrenat: That's right.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Heidi has said the 31<sup>st</sup> or the 30<sup>th</sup> – around the end of the month. Anyway, let's move on to the final agenda item – the Any Other Business, #16 – and Cheryl (inaudible).

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Thank you very much, Olivier, I have static on my line so I hope that's not interfering – it seems to have cleared now. Cheryl Langdon-Orr for the transcript record, very briefly: what I was hoping to do, and it did kind of belong under policy discussions, was foreshadow the fact that in the next day or two at least for the ccTLD community, the work that's being done on the Draft PDP for Internationalized Domain Names ccTLDs – as it is now not the Fast Track that has been running but the full PDP process – will have a paper out for community input. Over the last 14 days or so there's been quite a lot of editing going on in the work group which I represent you all on, and the text is kind of being polished now. There's an intention to discuss it substantially in Toronto –

---

in fact, Chris Disspain has asked the ccTLD Work Groups to get community comments.

So it's going to be not a full public comment but what I was seeking was an endorsement which we discussed in the APRALO meeting earlier today by the ALAC, for me as your liaison into this Work Group to ask specifically for input from the IDN Work Group so that I can bring in through that fora what would be considered our community comments.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: [I'm seeing agreement from the members who are here still on the call]. (Inaudible). I note the interpreters have put their hands up?

Interpreter: No, I'm sorry, Olivier – that was a mistake.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Ah, okay. So just asking is there anyone against this idea or this suggestion from Cheryl? (Inaudible). Cheryl?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Thank you, Olivier. I may not have heard you correctly – it's Cheryl for the record. If I heard you correctly there is nothing against and therefore I can assume that I can liaise directly with your IDN Working Group with ALAC's impermata. Is that correct?

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: That is correct. (Inaudible). ...and the Chair of the IDN Working Group to let us know, to let the Chair of the ALAC know of any developments in that matter. Did I drop off? Okay. Hello?



---

Carlton Samuels:

Yes, I'm here but I have to leave in another minute.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:

Yeah, rather than get Olivier to repeat it – it's Cheryl, by the way – just put it on the list. I mean I'm going to work directly with the IDN Working Group and I'm assuming Edmon, Rinalia and Sala – all of whom are ALAC members, all of whom are in the IDN Work Group – will keep the ALC informed as well. But if you had specific instructions type them in an email to me and I'll follow them. Thank you.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond:

Thank you, Cheryl. Thank you very much all, and that's (inaudible). Any other "other business?" And I see there is none. (Inaudible) also had to leave so thank you to all of you. The time is 16:13 UTC. I thank all of you for this very long call but we've done a good amount of work, and today's ALAC call is now adjourned. Bye-bye.

[End of Transcript]