

---

Pavan Budhrani: So as you can see the roll call was done by staff, it is the same which is on the Adobe Connect room so we're okay with that. The second point is the review of the action items, so if everyone can click on to the action items. The first one would be Pavan shall reach out to Edmon and Rinalia to get a quick update about the IDNs – actually that was done, and I'll have that sent over to the APRALO list very soon, today.

The second one was Cheryl to begin comments on the draft statement for the FY13 Strategic Plan. Cheryl, has that been done? Have we lost Cheryl?

Gisella Gruber: Pavan, Gisella here. Cheryl should be on the call; her line is open. Thank you.

Pavan Budhrani: Okay, so maybe we'll wait for her to get back on that one. Olivier to get back to APRALO about the budget for one or two people to get to the IGF – I think that has been handled and we are okay with that, right everyone?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: If you looked at the chat, my response – this is Cheryl for the record – is yes, it was in with the ALAC [on the last day]. I had to come off mute which is no mean feat when sitting in a car park. Now I'm back on mute.

Pavan Budhrani: Okay, thanks a lot, Cheryl. So the next one was about the call for nominations for the current openings in APRALO – that's ongoing. So I'm on top of it and we got the latest ones handled already so that's okay. The Wiki page for the IDNs for APRALO – actually Edmon has sent over the email yesterday about this one, so I'll be working with staff to get that rolling as well.

---

**Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.**

---

So if everyone's okay about the action items we don't need to go through the minutes and we can just go over to the ICANN policy issues. So if you take a look at the recently-approved ALAC statements, documents, or groups, is there any one you think APRALO needs to talk about right now? Okay, so I am guessing the silence means no one has something to say about those. Just bear in mind that if something comes up, if anyone on APRALO needs to make a statement you can easily just send it over to me or send it over to ICANN staff and we can continue that from there. Go ahead, Cheryl.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr:

Cheryl here, thanks. It's not one of the existing ones on the policy development page but it's one that I trust will go up tonight on the ALAC call when I will be asking, and I hope I'm with Rinalia's and Sala's support on this that the ALAC does make a comment via [me] on the current IDN PDP for ccTLD draft that's been put up. I have a copy of it, I'm happy to put it up on the Wiki page but as an author it's difficult for me to comment on my own work. So if the IDN group presumably with the input from APRALO can support that we have an ALAC comment, not as a formal public comment but one that I can bring back to the work group before Toronto that would be great. And I'd very much like Sala and obviously Edmon and Rinalia's support on that tonight. Thank you.

Pavan Budhrani:

Okay, thank you very much for that, Cheryl. Does anyone else have anything to say about the ALAC statements? Okay, so I guess the silence says everyone's okay with that; I don't see anyone's hand up in the Adobe room as well. So moving along, the item which was just added today by ICANN staff about the Draft APRALO IDN gTLD Prioritization Statement – Edmon just sent it over. So if people could click on the link and take a look, if you have any comment or anything to say about that again, you can just comment on the thing itself or you can just send me a note and I'll make sure that your voice is heard.

Okay, so if there's nothing to add over there the next item is an update on the APRALO elections. We had some results where Holly was going to be

---

representing APRALO for the ALAC and for the NomCom we had Siranush, and that's been accepted as well. And there will be some more elections coming up in the near future which I'll be working with Holly and Charles to make sure the email is sent out, and staff of course – that the email is sent out and we get people's feedback as fast as possible as well. Does anyone have anything to say about the elections?

Nope? Okay. Do we have Sala? Is Sala on the call?

Female: Yes, Pavan – Sala is raising her hand.

Pavan Budhrani: Okay, Sala, do you have anything to say?

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro: Thank you, Pavan. Just very quickly, there was some query from someone within the Asia-Pacific [belt], some of these (inaudible) and they were wondering... (inaudible) I will say we should figure out [how we will make the call for expression of interest or something] so that they can sort of comment. (Inaudible) so we need to be open to expressions of interest, because one (inaudible) is an underrepresented part of the world from within our region. So that is all I wanted to say.

Pavan Budhrani: Thank you very much. Sala, actually I wanted to bring your attention to Point #10 of the agenda, which if anyone doesn't mind we can go to that – it is about the survey idea which you and me have been chatting about on gChat. Can you maybe update APRALO on the latest of that? Sala?

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro: Can you hear me?

Pavan Budhrani: Yes.

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro: Okay, excellent. Essentially the survey idea is something that was [breached] with a few colleagues in Prague. We simply sort of [test] or send out to the various ALSes within our RALO to see what their views are on participation barriers and some of the drawbacks and things, you know, or some hindrances or what are some areas that they would like to strengthen and that sort of thing. So simply that's to sort of (inaudible) and identify how we can actually strengthen our relationships with the various ALSes so that we can have a lot more meaningful participation into the policy space. For instance, even within the global At-Large community I notice that there are a few people who are doing a lot of the work but it would be good for sustainability purposes to have a broader base, broader critical mass and that sort of thing. If anyone has any questions we can answer them.

Pavan Budhrani: Yeah, does anyone have anything to say? I think the survey idea is very important for us. I'll be working closely with Sala, continuing our chat on gChat at times and trying to get that rolling as soon as possible. Sala, if I'm not mistaken I see your hand up in the Adobe room? Do you have anything to add? Cheryl, to answer your question I think it's a survey for our ALSes only, if I'm not mistaken, and Sala can correct me on that.

Okay, it seems we've lost Sala but anyways, I'll keep on- I'm sorry.

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro: Sorry, I didn't realize I was on mute. Essentially we're saying that if the other RALOs are agreeable to rolling out the survey then we can also do that, but because we have jurisdiction within our own RALO it's something that we can roll out quickly.

---

Pavan Budhrani: I was under the impression that we could start with our ALSes and APRALO and we can see what comments we get, what feedback we get from them. And then we can sort of take that and go to the other RALOs and say “This is what we got.” And if we have that, the proof that we have we can tell them “See, this is what we got from our survey and maybe you should do it with your ALSes.” And then we can come back, and all the leaders of the different RALOs can come back and say which ideas worked for most regions. And then we can get ideas from them, they can get ideas from us and probably we can use it for our outreach to make it better as well. So that’s just an idea from the top of my head, sorry.

Salanieta Tamanikawaiwaimaro: Yes, and the other thing also stemming from it – Sala again for the record – is to have a more strictly outreach –based strategy, more strategic capacity building strategy and that sort of thing. We’ll know which areas to strengthen based on the feedback we get. Over to you, Pavan.

Pavan Budhrani: Yep, I agree. Does anyone else have anything to comment on about the survey idea? If not we can just move on. I think it’s very important to have this survey and to, as Cheryl had mentioned, to try to do it before Toronto. So Sala and I will be chatting more and try to get it rolling as soon as possible.

Okay, moving along to the next item, it’s about the New gTLD Working Group update. If you can click on the workshop you can get some updates there, but does anyone else have anything to say about that? Hong, yes, I see your hand up.

Hong Xue: Well, okay, last night there was a New gTLD Working Group call and I was there, and I was the only one from this group. Well, a lot of issues were talked

---

---

about and there's a list of the rulings on issues. The first one was the batching and digital archery – there will be comments on that to prevent the repetition of the same mistake on the next round of new gTLDs. Another thing is the pricing cap and the vertical integration – that will be under the comments. The third one will be on trademark measures including the Trademark Clearinghouse in the US. These comments are now being worked on. There will be a meeting of the New gTLD Working Group in Toronto, and another joint meeting with the Review Group. So I'm happy to answer any questions. Back to you.

Pavan Budhrani: Thank you very much for that update, Hong. Does anyone else have any questions about that?

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro: Sala for the record. Can you hear me?

Pavan Budhrani: Yes, Sala, we can. Thank you.

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro: Thanks. Thank you, Hong, for an excellent update. There's something I would just like to follow up with, something that was developing in the ALAC mailing list – it's in relation to the Trademark Clearinghouse. You all know there was a recent meeting in Brussels and there were a few people from within the At-Large community that sort of streamed into attend which was really good. One of the things we're sort of waiting for now is the [feedback from staff] that (inaudible) is sort of working on. What I've asked the ALAC to have done depending on, or I think it's already done, I'm not sure, is to have a dedicated Wiki for the At-Large community to sort of send me the feedback. It's been happening for quite a while but in a more strategic manner from now onwards.

---

But so what I'm saying is it would be good if someone from APRALO other than the ALAC rep [stayed here] to monitor the space and if we can get any volunteers that'll be great. I mean we'll be commenting on it as usual but I just thought I'd let you know. Thanks, Pavan, back to you.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Cheryl here.

Pavan Budhrani: Yes, Cheryl.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Thanks. Sala, we shared when the Trademark Clearinghouse was first done a dedicated Wiki space under the GNSO Liaison area I think, so if the new Wiki space that's organized is to be a subset of that or had a link back to that... ALAC and At-Large did run a space where we supported the work of at that stage Olivier and another Chair that is a rep of the ALAC, and Alan on the original work group that brought the Clearinghouse issue together. So it would be good to sort of close the loop on linkage at least so that we're aware of what happened before. Thank you.

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro: Can I just quickly respond, Pavan?

Pavan Budhrani: Yes, yes, you may. Thank you.

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro: Thanks, Sala again for the record. Just to let you know Olivier had sort of given me suggestions. He did mention that and he mentioned also to offer a link in [the pages] and that sort of thing. In any event, once that's organized it'll be very good to have a [group] of people from APRALO to sort of monitor the

---

space, and I know they've already been sort of like Hong and a few others and that sort of thing. Thank you very much. I think it's really critical because it's going to impact especially with the [paper] comes out it'll be good for us to be preparing submissions already. Thanks, Pavan, back to you.

Pavan Budhrani:

Okay, thank you. Yes, we'll take that down as a couple of action items as well. I think [this has been important] for the APRALO region as well. So if no one else has anything to say about the New gTLD Working Group we'll move on to the next agenda item. Sala, I still see your hand up in the Adobe room – is that, do you have anything to say?

Salanieta Tamanikawaiwaimaro:

I'm just lowering my hand.

Pavan Budhrani:

No worries, it's okay. Thank you. Alright, moving to the next item which is Pavan, Preparation for the Toronto APRALO Meeting. I've been working with staff to get the time sorted, and then we got the time sorted for the 18<sup>th</sup> of October, 8:00 to 9:00 AM. So there are a couple of important things which we need to discuss over there, so I will be making sure that the agenda for that meeting is done. Of course there will be a lot of flexibility because there'll be a lot of things we want to talk about ad-hoc as a region as well, and there'll be plenty of time for that but there are a couple of items which we have to talk about – for example, outreach to ALSes, something that me and Rinalia have sort of been working on together and which we will update everyone on during that meeting as well.

So if anyone else has any feedback or anything they would like to discuss face-to-face please do send it to me and I will be able to put them in the agenda as well. Does anyone else have anything? If you don't want to speak about it now you can just email it to me later.

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro: Can I intervene?

Pavan Budhrani: Sure, thanks Sala. Go ahead.

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro: Also one of the developments happening within ALAC is that Rinalia, who is on the ALAC ExCom managed to secure us a one-hour spot in Toronto in relation to discussions on capacity building and outreach. Some of you may know that there's a paper written well before February that was eventually re-delegated to another part of the Wiki on the 17<sup>th</sup> of Feb. addressing this issue in relation to how we can increase meaningful participation from the RALOs, which is one of the reasons we're trying to push our APRALO survey out as quickly as possible so we can say "Look, we've done it." And anything about that it will be by the end of Toronto, and we'll hopefully be looking towards having dedicated a working group to look into this thing. I thought I'd just bring it to your attention and then yes, Pavan, I'll wait for the 'any other business' and then raise the second point that I wanted to raise. Thanks, back to you.

Pavan Budhrani: Surely, yeah, don't worry – it'll be ongoing. I'll have an email thread open about the agenda and then we can just have all our feedback, and we'll consolidate a nice and meaningful agenda for the meeting over there. Okay? Next is the report from APRALO Chair which we don't have at the moment, so anyone from ALAC who would like to make an update – maybe Cheryl or Rinalia?

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro: Sorry, Pavan, you were saying? This is Sala.

---

Pavan Budhrani:

The update from the ALAC?

Salanieta Tamanikawaiwaimaro:

Yes, the ALAC – we have a meeting in a couple of hours' time, for me it'll be 2:00 AM and Cheryl, I think it's in an email that you sent that we (inaudible) and that sort of thing. Just very quickly, as you know there are various policies that are out for comment, one being the Security and Stability Advisory Committee and we very fortunately have within our region, our representative to the ALAC is also an ALAC Liaison for it – Julie Hammer. And I think it will be very good if a (inaudible) could organize maybe a call or something for discussions. I'm not sure we'll be doing it for the broader At-Large but at least something from within our region, it would be good to have a discussion on this.

And also on things like development of the new gTLDs and that sort of thing, we can get Hong if she's available – this is just a suggestion – and maybe a few others to sort of have a call where they discuss and describe it to some of our ALSes. One of the key things that we would like to focus on is first of all the priorities, which is [urgent] submissions are to be made within the comment period, the required comment period when they're published. We noticed that sometimes it's populated, sometimes it isn't – again this goes to capacity and that sort of thing. But I will give this time over to Rinalia who's also been doing work in relation to the IDN issue set around data in that regard. Rinalia has already updated us on the Trademark Clearinghouse and that sort of thing.

Pavan Budhrani:

Okay, thank you for that. Rinalia, do you have anything to add? Okay, sorry – I got a message from Rinalia saying her audio is out, so maybe she'll be able to send an update by email later and if possible she can send it to me so (inaudible). Sala?

Salanieta Tamanikawaiwaimaro:

And the other thing also is if there are things that any of the APRALO members want addressed in the ALAC meeting that will be held in a few hours please

---

send us your emails – this is Sala again for the record. Thank you, Pavan, back to you.

Pavan Budhrani: Okay, thank you. I'd just like to remind everyone that making the work easier for staff and myself to say your name before speaking. Thank you very much. And yes, so the next agenda item is APRALO Workshop in Baku. Does anyone have anything to update about that? Okay, I got a note from Cheryl in the chat room saying that we're listed for that.

So I guess what we could do is I could reach out to the people from APRALO who are headed to Baku and make sure that there's updates and there's constant communication from over there, so I will be able to give and relay that information over to the APRALO list. Yes, Susan?

Susan Chalmers: Hi, this is Susan Chalmers for the record. I just wanted to say if you could please include me on that list; I will be in Baku for the IGF. So that would be great if you could forward that information.

Pavan Budhrani: Sure thing, thank you. We will do so.

Susan Chalmers: Thank you.

Pavan Budhrani: Cheryl, I see you've put your hand up. Go ahead.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Thank you. It's to do with Baku and the IGF but not specifically our Workshop. Have you finished with the Workshop?

Susan Chalmers: Yes, hi, Susan for the record. I'd be interested in attending the Workshop.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Sure, okay – thanks, Susan. Cheryl for the transcript record. And I know Rinalia will update us all as soon as she gets any information about the Workshop – I believe she's trying to get blood out of a stone at the moment. If it's of any help I had a deep and meaningful word with one of our friendly ICANN Board members specifically on this issue and I know that he followed up. He's had about as much luck in getting information as you have, Rinalia, so that's a sad state of affairs indeed.

However, actually something to do with Baku but not the Workshop: I wondered and particularly since we've got a few people going, hopefully going, we actually have an ALS on the ground there. We haven't heard from them for a very long time but I think it's worth reaching out from if not Charles then Holly in cahoots with Pavan as Secretariat facilitating it would be very important because to have any of us go – and by the way Olivier as Chair of the ALAC I hope will be going to Baku – to go to that meeting and not want to do something or catch up with the local ALS would be a tragedy. So it would be really good if we could follow up on that.

It may be that the names we have are not all that current but at least it'll give us an opportunity to reactivate the ALS by finding the current names that we should be talking to. That's it, thank you.

Pavan Budhrani: Okay, thank you very much for that, Cheryl. Yes, I'll definitely take that as an action item and inform Charles and Holly and follow up with that ALS over there, because that'll be perfect because that person will know the [local] and it'll just be a good idea. So I think yep, I'll follow up with Charles and with Holly for that one. Thank you very much for that.

Salanieta Tamanikawaiwaimaro: Hi, just a quick question – Sala for the record.

Pavan Budhrani: Hi, Sala.

Salanieta Tamanikawaiwaimaro: Thanks. I just wanted to ask – I haven't heard anything about the budget. I assumed when Cheryl was speaking earlier that she was referring to how much of the budget was sort of allocated to us in terms of you know, Charles and I and the few people that worked on the APRALO budget and that sort of thing and the [APRALO's] application.

Pavan Budhrani: I don't have an update on that.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: It's Cheryl here. Sala, that's what I was referring to when I was saying that Rinalia would hopefully let us know when she finds out more. There is no allocation that any of us know of as yet and that is why I went directly to a Board member. There should be; we just don't know what. Thank you.

Pavan Budhrani: Alright, thank you. Does anyone else have anything to say about the APRALO Workshop in Baku?

Salanieta Tamanikawaiwaimaro: Sala for the record. I know you have it under control but if you need any assistance please feel free to holler. I'm just an email away and Olivier has his hand up, Pavan. Thanks.

Pavan Budhrani: Okay, thank you for that. Moving on to the last item which is the AOB, we talked about the survey idea from Sala. Is there any other business which anyone would like to bring up before we end the call?

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro: Yes, Olivier's got his hand up but after that I'll read the second (inaudible).

Pavan Budhrani: Oh sure, Olivier, you can speak.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Thank you, Pavan, it's Olivier for the transcript record. Can you hear me?

Pavan Budhrani: Yes we can.

Olivier Crépin-Leblond: Okay, thank you. Just with regards to the actual APRALO Workshop in Baku, we are still awaiting news from the member in charge of the allocations. There is a [hostile] discussion going on. I believe that they're a little bit (inaudible) but we should be hearing from them shortly. "Shortly" was supposed to be last week or the week before but I would say in the next week or so, but I will ask staff to follow up with Heidi who is that person – to follow up and try to get an update as soon as possible. Thank you.

Susan Chalmers: Hello? Is everyone still on the call? I may have dropped out.

---

Salanieta Tamanikawaiwaimaro: Pavan, this is Sala for the record. The other business that I wanted to raise that's critical for the RALO – and I apologize for not sending it into the (inaudible) is just a quick update on the Rules of Procedure Review and Drafting which is currently taking place, which Cheryl is coordinating. So if I could ask Cheryl, she's coordinating but we're part of it and it would be good to have feedback from her. But just for the information of APRALO, Rinalia and myself are heavily involved in the project but I'll leave it to Cheryl to finish.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Okay, Cheryl for the transcript record. I suggest for you to simply link the notes from this meeting to my monthly report to the ALAC because the report page is there. It's the same page that is reported to monthly and we can have that as a standing link until the work is over, which will be Toronto.

Salanieta Tamanikawaiwaimaro: Thanks, Cheryl. And just okay, it's been linked to Cheryl's report but just for the benefit of those who [were not in the meeting], just very quickly that the Rules of Procedure which have [gone on] in the ALAC and its meetings are (inaudible) it's elaborate work on a whole bunch of things including the role and functions of the ALAC and things like liaisons and that sort of thing. So there's things in there [in] the material to APRALO because you have four of your members, three of which have been working including Maureen Hilyard who's currently not with us on the call at the moment but she's been [in it].

But several people have been working with us and anyone who feels that they want to comment either directly on the Wiki or to send us an email in relation to anything we can read it on their behalf. I'm not sure if there is a Wiki-contributing right and that sort of thing but you're always welcome to send it to us, either on the mailing list or in an email to us and we'll be happy to put out a blurb to send out to the ALSes if they want to do this. Thanks, Pavan, back to you.

---

Pavan Budhrani:

Okay, thanks very much for that. Is there anything else anyone would like to say before we end the call? Okay, so if there's no hands up in the Adobe room I think we'll end the call ahead of schedule. I'll follow up with staff and get the action items going as soon as possible, and for some of them we'll follow up by email and make sure people are on the list. So thank you very much, everyone, for your time and we'll see you again next month. Thank you.

[End of Transcript]